PDA

View Full Version : LUTON History and Nostalgia

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16

oldandbald
17th Nov 2017, 17:53
Does my memory serve me correctly in that we had a noise monitor display by the Tower desk and had to pass the readings?
Yes, I remember that way back when Bernard was AD. Soon got a bit dubious when crews worked out where the micophones were. Then we had in the late 70s very early video recorder to record the radar to check they were on the NPRs. If I recall the VC10s were the worst noise readings

vintage ATCO
17th Nov 2017, 20:32
Yes, I think it was balls out for the first part of the climb out, pull back all the power to go over the noise monitors, then foot to the floor for the rest :ugh: I think we referred to it as the 'clapometer'? :-)

almost professional
17th Nov 2017, 20:35
Ah yes, I remember it being called that, think it was only in use at beginning of my training, so 1979/80

Spiney Norman
17th Nov 2017, 20:59
Ah yes, I remember it being called that, think it was only in use at beginning of my training, so 1979/80

It was mounted below the anemometer display on the left of the Tower seat, (or AIR as it would probably be now known). I seem to remember that the record reading was 110 for a Dan air B727. What he got for ‘artistic merit’ wasn’t recorded.

I also seem to recall that its use was suspended after a G2 or similar was passed his noise reading and commenced a climb to it!

Spiney Norman
17th Nov 2017, 21:36
All this talk of noise readings in the Tower reminds me of JR on night duties. His snoring made the 1883 Krakatoa eruption sound like an Ant breaking wind!

YVRLTN
18th Nov 2017, 03:50
Is my memory also correct that Chanex used to use the Herald into LTN? I remember the F27 BNIZ clearly into mid 90's. What routes did they operate? I seem to recall mail to JER mid 80's. And did the Electra ever visit? I remember them, but maybe they were STN

dixi188
18th Nov 2017, 16:42
Channel Express used to operate the HPR7 Herald from Luton In the late 80s and early 90s on mail routes, EDI I think. I remember going there to do Daily's or "A" checks when the usual engineer was not available.

I don't remember Channex Electras operating from Luton but Hunting Cargo did for DHL.

LTNman
18th Nov 2017, 19:56
Handley Page at Radlett was only a few miles south of Luton. I have an old book somewhere that had photos of Herald's clearing customs at Luton for their delivery flights.

Offchocks
19th Nov 2017, 07:21
With regards the noise readings, I remember being called into Monarch's Chief Pilot's office (Don Richardson RIP) to explain a reading/complaint about a departure I had done off 26 a few nights earlier.
I said we carried out the standard noise abatement procedure and it was probably due to the aircraft being a 1-11 plus departing in thick fog, if memory serves me correctly the reading was 118. Anyway that was the last I heard of it.

vintage ATCO
19th Nov 2017, 13:23
102PNdB was the night time limit, 112 (or was it 115?) was the daytime so 118 is pretty good going! :)

dixi188
19th Nov 2017, 20:20
About 25 years ago at Cologne we used to see the monthly noise reports.
I was on the Electra at the time and there was never an excedence, however the B727s with JT8s had about 50% of their night departures over the limit.

An interesting entry was for Aeroflot with the IL62. One month there was something like 50 departures with 51 excedences. I suppose it could have been a go-around, but I liked the extra one.

Were the figures for Luton published for crews to see?

Raymond Dome
20th Nov 2017, 14:21
I vaguely seem to remember that there was a period when the tower would transmit the noise reading to the crew on departure? I think we were supposed to Voyage Report any exceedance. With a one-eleven, a wet-power takeoff at night would get you a coconut virtually every time!

vintage ATCO
21st Nov 2017, 12:45
Yes, that's right. There were two readings, left and right of track, we would report the highest and write it on the flight progress strip. It use to get added to the Daily Movement Register. I can't remember why it was stopped but I am glad it was so we could back to proper ATC.

For a time I was in charge of the chap who looked after the Noise and Track Monitoring but I have to say I didn't take a great deal of interest! :-)

Spiney Norman
21st Nov 2017, 16:30
I seem to remember there was an occurence where the TWR controller passed a noise reading that was a round number to an aircraft, (possibly an N reg WOBUN departure). The aircraft then replied that he was climbing to the noise reading figure and ‘going to London on 12*.**’ . There was then a mad rush to let the LATCC radar controller know he was about to have a level bust! This may have happened to CJF but then again I could well be mistaken. There was, (I think), a long period where the display equipment went U/S and it seemed to just peter out.....Much to many of the Controllers relief..

HershamBoys
21st Nov 2017, 18:31
Gone by mid-1980

Tahoe2009
23rd Nov 2017, 21:31
I was a Wholesaler in Dublin on the Receiving end of those flights.
On Saturday nights there were 4 737 out of Liverpool and one Merchantman and later a DC 8 from Luton.

The 737s took 15 ton a time and the Luton Flight 18 tons.

Liverpool also used two aircraft doing 2rotations

I would love to exchange a few posts about it.

Dublin was the largest freight airlift that operated regularly in the world.

CaptainSandL
24th Nov 2017, 14:44
Quick question, does anybody know what MAGEC stands for? I presume it starts with McAlpine Aviation as that was its previous name but I cant work out the rest.

Schiller
24th Nov 2017, 15:09
McAlpine was taken over by a consortium of Mac and GEC, the electrical company.

CaptainSandL
24th Nov 2017, 15:27
Thanks Schiller. I am always amazed at the knowledge here.

vulcanite
24th Nov 2017, 16:22
Back in the mid 80's we lived at the top end of Tennyson Rd, backing onto the Memorial Park, and quite close to the big water tower. One hot, very still summer barbecue Sunday evening, the peace was literally shattered by a groundgripper departing from 26 (1-11, can't recall who's) struggling for height, and making the most infernal crackling noise - water/meth injection I suppose?
Anyhoo, made our friend's kids cry, so I was pressured into making a complaint about it (first and last). Got on the phone to the airport, and asked to speak to the Duty Officer. A woman came to the phone and asked if I was calling about noise. I said I was, and totally unprompted she said "Ooh, it was that 1-11, It WAS loud wasn't it".
Think this must have been before corporate deniability had been invented

LTNman
24th Nov 2017, 19:42
In the days of 550m RVR's or below when Luton would all but shut down it was always nice to see other airports misfortune.

Ahh remember when cars came with optional vinyl roofs!

https://i.imgur.com/FMIbMkU.jpg?1
published previously by Dave Witts

Ahh de Havilland
24th Nov 2017, 20:48
Quick question, does anybody know what MAGEC stands for? I presume it starts with McAlpine Aviation as that was its previous name but I cant work out the rest.

The correct story is that GEC Marconi purchased the business and assets of McAlpine Aviation and created a new company Magec Aviation, excluding the TE731 maintenance business and a pair of BAC 1-11. The name was a confection of Marconi and GEC. McAlpine ceased to have any involvement after the sale.

The business was later sold to Lynton Aviation and then Signature. However tracking which company the various parts ended up with is quite complicated.

rogerg
25th Nov 2017, 05:49
water/meth injection I suppose
I think you will find that 1-11s only had demin water, no meth. Still noisy tho!

rog747
25th Nov 2017, 06:58
rare shot there of G-AVYE in BEA/BA colours Trident 1E
the only 1E to have those colours

ex channel AW

22/04
25th Nov 2017, 07:56
Any one date that photo- I'm guessing 1975/6.

Also can anyone date the McAlpine, Magec, Lynton, Signature changes. I had forgotten Lynton but it is amazing what memories this forum generates- Lynton had quite a few helicopters IIRC.

compton3bravo
25th Nov 2017, 08:36
I would say 1975 as I was working in Luton at the time and rushed up to the airport in my lunch break and could not believe my eyes! What stood out was a BEA TriStar on stand 16 nose out which had arrived from Cairo.

Discorde
25th Nov 2017, 09:30
. . . and 'RU still in one piece!

EGGW
25th Nov 2017, 10:46
Aaah, RU, I went solo in her at Leavesden in 1986 :ok:

EGGW

dixi188
25th Nov 2017, 12:13
How long did the Court Line name stay on H61? They went to the wall in 1974.

lotus1
25th Nov 2017, 19:40
I remember seeing it still on h61 June 75 but believe still visible early 76

cj241101
25th Nov 2017, 22:41
Any one date that photo- I'm guessing 1975/6.

Best I can come up with is 16/12/75. I was working a late shift (1430-2300) and suspect the photo was taken in the morning. The Lear Jet G-BBEE was present along with 125 G-BCJU and the Aer Turas Brit. Euralair Lear Jet F-BSRL was there which may be the one behind G-BBEE. The NLM F27 and the BA Tristar must have gone already. The only airliner diversions were 6 BA Tridents during the time I was there.

The previous day the airport took a total of, I believe, 47 diverted flights which was the highest in one day at the time (this number probably included executive aircraft). At least 18 were BA aircraft, plus an Alitalia DC-8-43, 4 Aer Lingus 737's, 4 K.L.M. DC-9's, a SATA Caravelle, a Sabena 737, an S.A.S. DC-9, an Air Alsace Corvette and an R.A.F. HS748. That is all that I recorded airline-wise while I was there (1415-2130).

The most diverted flights in one day was on 8/1/87 when the figure hit (I think) 72. I remember a BA 757 and an Olympic A300 getting parked on the eastern taxiway for several hours with their pax still on board.

dc9-32
26th Nov 2017, 05:27
The most diverted flights in one day was on 8/1/87

And what a shift that was :eek: As CJ mentioned, close on 72 divs, squeezed together in the NW corner, down the taxi-way centre line, they were everywhere.

I remember that day well as I worked about 18hrs. The last movement I was involved in was a Dan Air 1-11 ferry to LGW but it was out of trim so the options were (a) crew jump back in the taxi and head off to a hotel or back to LGW or (b) find more ballast. All usable ballast had been used on other aircraft so I put my thinking cap on and headed off into the night to a building site I knew was not too secure := and returned with several breeze blocks :E

Job done....

cj241101
26th Nov 2017, 09:30
The most diverted flights in one day was on 8/1/87

https://i.imgur.com/peLKCMZ.jpg
only picture I took that day for some reason (wasn't at work so could only take landside shots).

quick summary of what I recorded:-
BMA 2x DC-9-32, 3x DC-9-10, SH360
Air Malta 2x B737, B720B
Air Portugal 727-200
Dan Air 4x 1-11 (200/300/500)
Manx SAAB 340. SH360
Iberia 2x 727-200, A300
Nigeria B707
Aviaco DC-9-30
BA 2x 737-200, 757
B.I.A. 1-11 400, 1-11 500
Olympic A300
N.L.M. F28, F27
B.A.F. Viscount
Luxair 737-200
A.T.I. DC-9-32
J.A.T. 727-200
Sabena 737-200
Maersk DHC7

That's only around half the total which would have included diverted executive aircraft as well which I haven't tried to list.

cj241101
26th Nov 2017, 13:07
My first taste of a diversion day was on Saturday 4th January 1969. It was a cold, mainly sunny day without much wind. I went outside on hearing an aircraft which I guessed was probably an Autair Herald on one of the domestic schedules. I was slightly surprised to see a Viscount heading NW and climbing, having presumably departed from runway 26 and taken the (permitted then for non-jets) right turn across the town. I was even more surprised when binoculars identified it as an Aer Lingus machine. Viscounts during the winter months were rare; Aer Lingus unheard of.

Come lunchtime I was looking out of the window and saw what binoculars revealed as a Vanguard out to the west. These were a common sight routing Daventry-Garston inbound to Heathrow. This one, however, seemed much lower to the horizon than usual but also closer. Then it began a left turn and I watched it as it made its approach to runway 08. At the same time another Viscount - also Aer Lingus - came overhead at around 6000ft heading SE. The radio was on in the kitchen and I caught one of the lunchtime news headlines referring to widespread fog across the south east having closed Heathrow and Gatwick airports, with flights being diverted to several airports including Luton. So I cycled up to the airport as fast as I could pedal. Sitting at the traffic lights at the end of Harrowden Rd. (long before the large roundabout and Vauxhall Way were built) I could hear the sound of jet engines running, concluding that there must have been some jet aircraft diverted in as well as the prop variety. I was hoping maybe half a dozen flights perhaps on diversion, or maybe something big like a B.U.A. VC-10. I wasn't prepared for the sight that greeted me as I came past the Monarch hangar 7/8, with aircraft squeezed into every available nook and cranny. 20 aircraft were present out of the 34 reported as having been diverted in during the day. Add on half a dozen of the resident Autair and Britannia fleets (1 Ambassador, 1 HS748, 1 737, 3 Britannia 102's) gave a total of 26 airliners on the ground - how many parking stands were there in 1969? At a guess 17).
Only picture I managed to get was this one:-

https://i.imgur.com/MinKCIO.jpg
(previously posted a couple of years ago but kindly deleted by our good friends Photobucket).

2 K.L.M. DC-9's were taxying out as I arrived. Also present were 3 Aer Lingus Viscounts, 2 B.E.A. Vanguards, 3 Trident 1's, an Argosy, 2 B.U.A. 1-11's and a Herald, a Channel Airways Viscount, Cambrian Viscount, BKS Britannia and a Viscount , plus the Austrian and Swissair Caravelles above.

I watched the K.L.M. DC-9's take off from the (only just opened) spectators car park. The 2nd one seemed to leave a trail of greyish-white smoke behind it, which I soon realised was actually a bank of fog that was creeping slowly north across the runway and went on to envelope the rest of the airport in a few minutes. Hence the lack of photos.

Will post some diversion photos from the 1980's in due course - watch this space....

almost professional
26th Nov 2017, 13:58
Most memorable Diversion day - sometime between 1980/89,involved Monarch B757 on which crew were not Cat 3 capable so could not get into Gatwick. We were full so it landed 26, shut down in the 08 turning circle, crew changed, and it departed for Gatwick. Took about 20 minutes!

Wander00
26th Nov 2017, 14:55
Whilst I have never been to Luton in the 60s as only White Card on the squadron I was frequently diverted to Manston, and often stuck there for the weekend. On more than one occasion there were so many military and civilian aircraft there the amount of fuel that could be uplifted was severely limited

staircase
26th Nov 2017, 20:11
White card - well that takes me back.

I wonder how many of our 'readers' know what you are talking about?

The last one I have, still in an old log book, is from 1972

SKI
26th Nov 2017, 20:26
Aaah, RU, I went solo in her at Leavesden in 1986 :ok:

EGGW
Ah, Sent solo by D Davidson no doubt!:ok:

LTNman
26th Nov 2017, 21:36
White card - well that takes me back.

I wonder how many of our 'readers' know what you are talking about?

The last one I have, still in an old log book, is from 1972

I have no idea so please tell:confused:

Wander00
26th Nov 2017, 21:50
RAF Instrument Rating system - Green and Master Green could descend to the published minimum approach height (cannot recall its official name), baby pilots with a white card had to add ISTR 300ft. Took about years (for me anyway) to accumulate skill and experience to upgrade from White to Green

dixi188
27th Nov 2017, 06:00
Not Luton, but I remember seeing 35 diversions at Hurn (Bournemouth) on my way to work one morning about 1972.
All of Courtline's 1-11s, 4 or 5 Lufthansa 727 or 737s, many Dan-Air Comets and 1-11s, TMAC CL-44, 2 Laker DC-10s, Some Tridents and many others I can't recall.
Every available bit of space was used including the BAC factory site.
Wish I had taken some photos.

vintage ATCO
27th Nov 2017, 08:36
I was on duty 4 Jan 1969 and in the pic posted by CJ above the Austrian Caravelle is actually parked on the apron centreline between stands 9 and 10 as there was no where else to put it. To complete the 180deg turn it put so much power on that we thought the roof was going to come off building 50!

vintage ATCO
27th Nov 2017, 08:47
Here's a photo I have not seen before, 1951 . . . .

https://i.imgur.com/P1WwLuZ.jpg

Control tower being built which would open in 1952. York and Prince on the apron. Napier's Lincoln top left I think, plus others.

LTNman
27th Nov 2017, 10:07
What were those rows of huts behind the 3 hangars used for?

vintage ATCO
27th Nov 2017, 10:11
I think I read somewhere there were a number of Uni-Seco prefab houses there after the war for people who had been bombed out. May be them.

vintage ATCO
27th Nov 2017, 10:16
The large field in the top of the photo was Powdrill's farm and the line of houses top right seemingly along side the field although that was Crawley Green Road was where my parents lived from 1936 until the 70s.

Ken Cartwright, who use to fly the Napier Lincoln, told me he always had his eye on that field in the event of an emergency. Covered in houses now of course.

India Four Two
27th Nov 2017, 11:01
baby pilots with a white card had to add ISTR 300ft.

... and infant UAS pilots with “Budgie” wings and a PIFG (preliminary instrument flying grading) had even more restrictive limits. However, the limits were theoretical, since we were never sent solo in anything approaching IMC. The closest I came to using my IF skills in anger, was at Lindholme, where the weather suddenly deteriorated and all the Chipmunks were recalled. I remember being Number Five downwind, with a rapidly lowering cloud base.

EGGW
27th Nov 2017, 13:21
[QUOTE]Quote:
Originally Posted by EGGW View Post
Aaah, RU, I went solo in her at Leavesden in 1986

EGGW
Ah, Sent solo by D Davidson no doubt!/QUOTE]

Nope. But D Davidson did Prang RU at Old Warden a year or so after.

EGGW.

lotus1
27th Nov 2017, 14:11
With regards to weather diversions in82/83 manston received 43 diversions in one day this was due to only being airport open in southeast have seen some pictures air Europe 737 also Danair 111 also numerous caladonian aircraft except dc10 this was due to turning off points on this day some fantastic pictures in the history museum at manston of this day

Spiney Norman
27th Nov 2017, 14:31
[QUOTE]Quote:
Originally Posted by EGGW View Post
Aaah, RU, I went solo in her at Leavesden in 1986

EGGW
Ah, Sent solo by D Davidson no doubt!/QUOTE]

Nope. But D Davidson did Prang RU at Old Warden a year or so after.

EGGW.

I’d have said that it was probably Bernard Clack who sent EGGW solo in 1986. Issues with RU and G-ATHR were pretty rare but the Mooney (G-OBAL) was regularly dinging the prop on the ‘Light aircraft entry exit point’.

EGGW
27th Nov 2017, 15:21
[quote=EGGW;9970668]

I’d have said that it was probably Bernard Clack who sent EGGW solo in 1986. Issues with RU and G-ATHR were pretty rare but the Mooney (G-OBAL) was regularly dinging the prop on the ‘Light aircraft entry exit point’.

Nope :ugh::E:E Was a Brit Flying club instructor, now flying 7474s for Air Atlanta last time I heard.

The Mooney was a nice replacement for RU, fast, but narrow cabin and yeah I had heard about the prop dinging.

EGGW.

LTNman
28th Nov 2017, 05:02
What happened to the Britannia flying club? When Luton became light aircraft unfriendly did the club fold or move out of Luton?

Their aircraft used to overnight park in the Britannia hangar to avoid airport parking fees.

22/04
28th Nov 2017, 07:04
It is no longer associated with whatever the current incantation of Britannia is, but the aircraft remain in the light blue colour scheme and it trades as the Azure Flying Club based I think at Cranfield and Wellesbourne.

thegypsy
28th Nov 2017, 08:38
Should that not be incarnation?:{

boeing_eng
28th Nov 2017, 09:59
As mentioned a while back in this thread.....

"The BAL flying club aircraft were "pushed out" by the airport shortly after EZY moved into H89..a lack of space was the given reason.

The aircraft moved to Cranfield and the club carried on there for a few years. After the merger with First Choice, the company withdrew any subsidies and the club became a private concern (Azure Flying Club) 1965 vintage PA28 G-ATHR is still with them but Mooney G-OBAL was sold a few years back"..

H89 is where they were maintained in the later years and was used in the winter for weather protection.....otherwise they parked outside.

Snarlingdog
30th Nov 2017, 20:01

....H89 is where they were maintained in the later years and was used in the winter for weather protection.....otherwise they parked outside.

I'd love to see a photo of that if anyone has any?
(or anything in H89 not already on this forum for that matter)

YVRLTN
1st Dec 2017, 02:06

"The BAL flying club aircraft were "pushed out" by the airport shortly after EZY moved into H89..a lack of space was the given reason.

The aircraft moved to Cranfield and the club carried on there for a few years. After the merger with First Choice, the company withdrew any subsidies and the club became a private concern (Azure Flying Club) 1965 vintage PA28 G-ATHR is still with them but Mooney G-OBAL was sold a few years back"..

H89 is where they were maintained in the later years and was used in the winter for weather protection.....otherwise they parked outside.

I also remember PA28 BTNT. Latterly they added a Socata OTUI.

What happened to Luton Flight Training? I see JONI moved on in 95, I guess they shut down?

YVRLTN
1st Dec 2017, 02:10
When did Streamline come to LTN? I remember they lost one Shed in Paris with crew fatal when a wing of an MD83 went through the cockpit. Had to be the last regular operator of the 330 in the UK. What else did they do apart from Paris, I seem to recall 2-3 aircraft on the ground.

Also OCS with the Bandits, they were registered to Willowair or Willowjet or something like that. What routes did they operate? Think they had a 330 too.

Level bust
1st Dec 2017, 09:53
Luton Flight Training closed down when the Airport forced all light aircraft out. The charges they introduced made it not financially viable. I think it was about the same time that any visiting light aircraft had to have a handling agent.

vulcanite
2nd Dec 2017, 11:11
Funny old thing, but when the airport was in the doldrums, they very much liked having Luton Flight Training, as every take off, landing and touch and go counted as 'movements' for the airport's stats.
But as soon as they started getting busier with the arrival of EasyJet, they started to want to impose stupid rules (and fees) such as a club a/c had to depart before 1000h and could not return until after 1500h (or some such similarly restricting conditions). The right to send student pilots on solos from the aiport had been 'sold' to the airport years before, so it was all becoming a big pain in the ar*e. The club sort of devolved over to Henlow, and whether that operation continues I know not.

LTNman
4th Dec 2017, 14:00
A rare bird at Luton. Maybe the only one every to visit Luton? Note the high security fence and the gap!

https://i.imgur.com/cMq01D2.jpg
Unknown source

vintage ATCO
4th Dec 2017, 16:46
Israeli Air Force 25 Mar 1972
https://i.imgur.com/zENDefF.jpg

cj241101
4th Dec 2017, 17:02
A rare bird at Luton. Maybe the only one every to visit Luton?
4X-FPX was present 25-29/3/72. 4X-FPZ also visited, landing at 1549 on 9/4/72, don't have the departure details. Here's a link to a photo:-
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000113145L.html

Thanks to LTNman and vintage ATCO for posting the photos.

LTNman
4th Dec 2017, 17:39
Would have loved to have seen that in the flesh. Must have been one of the last ones flying.

SpringHeeledJack
4th Dec 2017, 20:35
Are those doors/flaps at the rear cargo doors ? It seems a bit high for a ramp. Also the insignia on the tail, what is it ? It looks like the lovechild of the old SAA springbok and World Airways.

treadigraph
4th Dec 2017, 20:41
Would have loved to have seen that in the flesh. Must have been one of the last ones flying.

Several USAF ANG units were flying KC-97s up till 1978. The Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation have just flown theirs after a lengthy restoration. Keep you fingers crossed that they can bring it across the Atlantic for a visit to European skies!

horatio_b
4th Dec 2017, 20:56
The Be35 Bonanza on the left of the KC-97 photo, G-ATII, is still flying in the USA as N77GV

WHBM
5th Dec 2017, 00:23
There was a significant C-97 commercial operator of several of them out of Miami into the mid-1990s. They were based on the north side of the airport, in the old Cockroach Corner, right alongside the main taxyway. They had a major accident at Mexico City in 1987, coming down on a populated area, and Boeing said they "didn't realise there were any still in service". As they were quite prominent at a major US airport I felt it didn't say much for Boeing's understanding.

SpringHeeledJack
5th Dec 2017, 08:40
I spent a couple of winters in the Miami area back in the early 90's and would drive past Cockroach Corner often 'by chance' to have a look at the old birds therein. There didn't seem to be any spotters there back then and you could, if nice, be allowed to get close up to the beasts. Why didn't I take photos ??? I recall mostly DC-6/7's and some C-46's as well as a couple of C-97's. There might have been one based at Opa Locka up the road. The old birds flew mostly to South America and would fly out over the port/South Beach area clattering very loudly heading first east and then southwards. I'm off to youtube now ;-)

LTNman
5th Dec 2017, 19:06
I too had to go to You Tube so I could hear those engines.

Luton Anorak
5th Dec 2017, 22:51
I have a strange request regarding Britannia G-BDLZ of Air Faisal - this aircraft (ex XM490) was delivered to Stansted 30th October 1975 for civil conversion by Aviation Traders - it was rolled out of their hangar 4th December 1975 named "Al Mubarak" and with the airline titles incorrectly painted as "Air Faisel" (with an "e" instead of an "a") - it remained this way until at least June 1976 - as per photo below - I am trying to find a date for when this was corrected - if any of you have photos of this aircraft (and you know the date they were taken) could you please have a look as you may be able to narrow down the date a bit - Thank You (I am currently writing a concise history of Luton Airport and putting details against all the aircraft that were based at Luton from 1937 until present day)

cj241101
6th Dec 2017, 08:23
I have a strange request regarding Britannia G-BDLZ of Air Faisal

Can't help with a photo - I only took one and it was in 1979. G-BEMZ which Faisal also operated suffered the same problem, photos on ebay:-
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/AIR-FAISAL-AIR-FAISEL-PHOTOS-BRISTOL-BRITANNIA-/192379507019?hash=item2ccab6514b

Also loads (and loads!) of Britannia and CL-44 photos, many taken at Luton, here:-
Flickriver: Random photos from Bristol Britannia pool (http://www.flickriver.com/groups/1528553@N25/pool/random/)

There is an Air Faisal thread on pprune:-
https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/365114-air-faisal.html
The date for the "Flight International" report should have read 1978 not 1976.

Luton Anorak
6th Dec 2017, 10:07
Hmm - wasn't aware it happened on the other aircraft as well! - so that's two dates I'm looking for now - thanks for the other info.

lotus1
6th Dec 2017, 14:08
Did see both Britannias at manston 78/79 both operating at manston was it here that they got caught with naughty stuff on board there aircraft also trade was that good they where looking at a fleet of 707s

cj241101
11th Dec 2017, 10:22
As promised a couple of weeks ago here's some diversion photos starting with 30/11/82:-

https://i.imgur.com/OlTM96I.jpg
HB-IND

https://i.imgur.com/klfVbgX.jpg
D-ABKE

https://i.imgur.com/nmSDx3W.jpg
CS-TBY
The KLM DC-9 was PH-DNO; the Cyprus 707 5B-DAK. Also present on stand 1 was Icelandair 727-100 TF-FLG.

then this from 17/2/84:-
https://i.imgur.com/pTfVR4n.jpg
G-BJZE
having checked this was actually operating Britannia flights but I'll leave it here anyway.

and these from 28/12/84:-
https://i.imgur.com/lnX15oS.jpg
Luxair 737 was LX-LGH, the BA G-BGDC, the Aer Lingus EI-BEB and the Air Malta 9H-ABB. Manx Viscount G-BLOA on stand 9 was also a Heathrow diversion.

https://i.imgur.com/KoIeEaq.jpg
G-AVMN

https://i.imgur.com/w5WltjD.jpg
OO-SDO

https://i.imgur.com/RS46rJO.jpg
PH-AGF
These were all in the morning along with Air UK F27 G-BAUR and Air UK SH360 G-DASI, presumably diverted from Stansted.

I was working nights and didn't manage any photos of the evening diversions, which included another Luxair 737 LX-LGI, Alitalia MD-82 I-DAWD, Sabena 737 OO-SDN, BA 1-11 500 G-BGKF (diverted from Birmingham), then after midnight BCAL DC-10 G-BEBM and BCAL Commuter SH330 G-BIRN both diverted from Gatwick.

More to follow.

LTNman
12th Dec 2017, 12:11
I have never seen a photo of the Virgin 747 that landed from New York and then flew back empty as it was a delayed flight rather than a weather diversion. I think the only reason it came to Luton was that it was able to depart after midnight without being affected by a curfew.

I just happened to be listening to my single band air band radio when the controller mentioned to another aircraft that a 747 was on its way. I thought I was hearing things and could not get up to the airport quick enough so I was able to watch it land.

I then went into the old terminal and watched as the bemused Americans came out of this small building where they were the only passengers.

cj241101
12th Dec 2017, 13:46
I have never seen a photo of the Virgin 747 that landed from New York and then flew back empty as it was a delayed flight rather than a weather diversion.

The Virgin on 10/4/96 was the 3rd 747 to land at Luton. First 747 was the Caribbean Airways example on 10/7/87, and the 2nd the BA one on 28/9/92. This aircraft had initiated a diversion from Heathrow to Prestwick, which then (very unusually) dropped below CAT 1 limits leaving Luton the only remaining option with enough runway to accept a 747.

https://i.imgur.com/jZYoRnj.jpg
G-AWNF 28/9/92 Toronto-Heathrow BA092

wallp
13th Dec 2017, 18:28
As promised a couple of weeks ago here's some diversion photos starting with 30/11/82:-

https://i.imgur.com/OlTM96I.jpg
HB-IND

https://i.imgur.com/klfVbgX.jpg
D-ABKE

https://i.imgur.com/nmSDx3W.jpg
CS-TBY
The KLM DC-9 was PH-DNO; the Cyprus 707 5B-DAK. Also present on stand 1 was Icelandair 727-100 TF-FLG.

then this from 17/2/84:-
https://i.imgur.com/pTfVR4n.jpg
G-BJZE
having checked this was actually operating Britannia flights but I'll leave it here anyway.

and these from 28/12/84:-
https://i.imgur.com/lnX15oS.jpg
Luxair 737 was LX-LGH, the BA G-BGDC, the Aer Lingus EI-BEB and the Air Malta 9H-ABB. Manx Viscount G-BLOA on stand 9 was also a Heathrow diversion.

https://i.imgur.com/KoIeEaq.jpg
G-AVMN

https://i.imgur.com/w5WltjD.jpg
OO-SDO

https://i.imgur.com/RS46rJO.jpg
PH-AGF
These were all in the morning along with Air UK F27 G-BAUR and Air UK SH360 G-DASI, presumably diverted from Stansted.

I was working nights and didn't manage any photos of the evening diversions, which included another Luxair 737 LX-LGI, Alitalia MD-82 I-DAWD, Sabena 737 OO-SDN, BA 1-11 500 G-BGKF (diverted from Birmingham), then after midnight BCAL DC-10 G-BEBM and BCAL Commuter SH330 G-BIRN both diverted from Gatwick.

More to follow.
Brilliant photos, thanks so much for sharing

SpringHeeledJack
13th Dec 2017, 19:57
Used to love those 727's of Lufthansa and even a sort of affection for the stubby 737-100/200 'pigs'. The sound of the engines always evocative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBjUbVI-_ZI

Couldn't find any old ones.

cj241101
14th Dec 2017, 09:36
and even a sort of affection for the stubby 737-100/200 'pigs'. The sound of the engines always evocative.

Like this one...
https://i.imgur.com/HXgQi8I.jpg
D-ABEW 13/10/80.
Believe this was diverted from Heathrow although nothing else was that day. There was a BA Trident 2 (G-AVFI) during the afternoon, which was a planned movement, taking the England football team to Bucharest.

cj241101
14th Dec 2017, 17:40
Big diversion day on 11/12/84 when I was again working nights 10/12/84 and 11/12/84 - managed to get up during the day to get a few photos.

https://i.imgur.com/2ihRWAt.jpg
I-DIBC

https://i.imgur.com/1c3y0BN.jpg
I-BUSH

https://i.imgur.com/zfi2iM8.jpg
G-DASI

https://i.imgur.com/hnhbUfZ.jpg
G-BHMW

https://i.imgur.com/w2XkNL1.jpg
G-BKWU

https://i.imgur.com/cUHQKoU.jpg
PH-KFI

https://i.imgur.com/J0IymmD.jpg
OH-LMP

https://i.imgur.com/yj6abHD.jpg
TC-JBJ

There's a long list of aircraft I didn't get pictures of, including:-
Swissair DC-9-30 HB-IDO
Aer Lingus 737-200 EI-ASB
BA 737-200 G-BGDU
RAF 125 XW791

Night shift brought more:-
Aer Lingus 737-200 EI-BEE
BA 737-200's G-BGDT G-BGJM
BA Trident 2 G-AZXM
RAF 125 ZE396
BMA DC-9-30 G-BMAM
BMA DC-9-15 G-BMAB
2 Dan Air 1-11 500's and a Dan Air HS748 G-BIUV

22/04
15th Dec 2017, 10:21
Diversions are much less common these days unfortunately. Partly I expect because of Catt III ILs but also because airlines cancel flights more readily than I remember them doing in days of yore.

22/04
15th Dec 2017, 10:26
Springheeledjack the video bough back memories of happy lazy summer days when a Britannia 737 would push back from stand one and wind up the engines - typically the only thing moving late morning and going to Wildenrath or Gutersloh - and of the dirty marks around the fuselage from smoky engines!

cj241101
15th Dec 2017, 19:10
Diversions are much less common these days unfortunately. Partly I expect because of Catt III ILs but also because airlines cancel flights more readily than I remember them doing in days of yore.
Plus of course LTN doesn't have the space these days so airlines are less likely to flight plan with LTN as first alternate.

LTNman
24th Dec 2017, 14:17
OK I know this has been seen before but it is the only Christmas themed Luton photo I have seen.

Wishing all the contributors and lurkers to this thread a Merry Xmas and thank you for making this thread one of the most successful threads on the Aviation History and Nostalgia page. I am not sure why this is but I guess this thread twists and turns in all directions and ultimately coves many subjects that have a link to Luton.

https://i.imgur.com/AjQMmuI.jpg

compton3bravo
24th Dec 2017, 15:43
Me thinks it might be Derek Davison. Merry Christmas to everyone or as we say here Feliz Navidad.

The AvgasDinosaur
28th Dec 2017, 18:14
Learned contributors,
The first visits of many types are widely recorded and reported, does anyone on here have any dates for last visits/departures for types of aircraft.
E.G. Brittania, Dc3, 4, 6, 7, 8. Boeing 707, Ambassador, Viking, Viscount etc
Your time and trouble is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Be lucky
David

ZeBedie
28th Dec 2017, 19:10
The trouble is, the first visit is an obvious fact, when it happens. But when the last happens, it will go unnoticed because no one can know it's the last, at least until that type finally ceases to fly. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious!

LTNman
28th Dec 2017, 19:43
This might have been the last Britannia. I seem to remember this came over for maintenance with Monarch

https://i.imgur.com/O2PnF9O.jpg

The AvgasDinosaur
28th Dec 2017, 21:17
The trouble is, the first visit is an obvious fact, when it happens. But when the last happens, it will go unnoticed because no one can know it's the last, at least until that type finally ceases to fly. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious!

Thanks ZeBedie,
I am aware of why last visits are often under reported as it equally applies to last flights for types in most cases. I was hoping given the superlative record keeping by some of the contributors that a some may have been noted as such at the time or retrospectively deducted by in house sleuths and be recorded for posterity.
Thanks for your time,
Be lucky
David

YVRLTN
29th Dec 2017, 01:40
Air Atlantique were using DC3's well into the the mid 90's on freight flights

canberra97
29th Dec 2017, 05:42
This might have been the last Britannia. I seem to remember this came over for maintenance with Monarch

https://i.imgur.com/O2PnF9O.jpg

Out of interest what year was that LTNman?

cj241101
29th Dec 2017, 12:37
Learned contributors,
does anyone on here have any dates for last visits/departures for types of aircraft.
E.G. Brittania, Dc3, 4, 6, 7, 8. Boeing 707, Ambassador, Viking, Viscount etc
David
Difficult question to answer without having comprehensive logs of every movement preferably computerised for easy searching (which most of mine aren't). Here's the best I can come up with. Anyone with more info I would be interested as well.

last DC-4 probably Aer Turas EI-ARS which was still operating for them in 1976. My last sighting 19/9/76.
last DC-6 probably G-APSA which Air Atlantique brought in when they had it painted in British Eagle colours which was 2008.
last DC-7 probably Aer Turas EI-AWG when it overran landing on 3/3/74.
last DC-8 probably Air Charter Express who operated a few flights June 2009 with 9G-AXA/B.
https://i.imgur.com/50N0q4G.jpg
9G-AXB 14/6/09

last 707 probably John Travolta's N707JT which he brought to Europe in Qantas V-Jet colours in 2003. Seen at LTN 28/6/03.
last Ambassador probably Dan Air G-ALZO which I only saw at LTN once on 10/10/69 (diverted from LGW). Not sure if it visited again before its withdrawal in May 1971.
last Viking probably Europe Aero Service F-BMEU on 21/3/69. Autair had withdrawn their last 2 by October 1967.
last Viscount I recorded was British World G-APEY on 23/11/97.

cj241101
29th Dec 2017, 12:59
Out of interest what year was that LTNman?
Probably 1984. Aerocaribbean had 3 Brits in for maintenance that summer - CU-T114 above plus CU-T120 and CU-T121.

Level bust
29th Dec 2017, 14:39
last 707 probably John Travolta's N707JT which he brought to Europe in Qantas V-Jet colours in 2003. Seen at LTN 28/6/03.

The last 707 was probably TZTAC which arrived on the 8th December 2009. It certainly had everyone out of the ATC offices when it taxied past!

cj241101
29th Dec 2017, 16:21
The last 707 was probably TZTAC which arrived on the 8th December 2009. It certainly had everyone out of the ATC offices when it taxied past!
That's one I didn't know about. Ahhh...just to hear the scream of those 4 JT3's again....

SpringHeeledJack
29th Dec 2017, 19:44
It would be rude not to.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=117&v=k1bJ-yJTD54

cj241101
29th Dec 2017, 20:00
It would be rude not to.......

Magic!

Ahh...just to hear the whine of those 2 CFM56's again....er, I don't think so. Maybe in 50 years time

cj241101
31st Dec 2017, 09:15
Probably 1984. Aerocaribbean had 3 Brits in for maintenance that summer - CU-T114 above plus CU-T120 and CU-T121.

Before Aerocaribbean it was Cubana Brits that appeared regularly for maintenance with AEL/MAEL:-

https://i.imgur.com/51vSgwL.jpg
CU-T669 2/5/71

https://i.imgur.com/bRzBVX1.jpg?1
CU-T669 again in their later scheme 9/11/82

https://i.imgur.com/npd53Hp.jpg
This is the same aircraft having been reregistered CU-T114, arriving minus titles 31/5/84 prior to repainting in Aerocaribbean colours

ZeBedie
31st Dec 2017, 16:10
What about the two people on their hands and knees, beneath the tail of the Cubana brit? Did someone drop a box of cigars?

rogerg
31st Dec 2017, 17:05
I think the captain lost his contact lens!!

compton3bravo
31st Dec 2017, 18:10
The last Boeing 707 I saw at Luton was executive configured N88ZL. It parked on Stand 16 and was a bit taken aback when the flight deck disembarked wearing T-shirts and jeans! I would think this was in the middle 2000s.

LTNman
2nd Jan 2018, 13:15
Luton in the snow

https://i.imgur.com/a1eoARK.jpg
Previously published by Graham Alexander

22/04
2nd Jan 2018, 18:36
When do we think the above picture was taken 1972/3? Or one year later. Surprised there was still a Britannia Airways Britannia there

22/04
2nd Jan 2018, 18:39
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=britannai+airways&&view=detail&mid=397ADBB71D14604F3DED397ADBB71D14604F3DED&FORM=VRDGAR

Not seen this before although it might have been posted before. It looks so dated now - only twenty years on that voice would be far too posh for a promotional video me thinks.

cj241101
2nd Jan 2018, 20:22
When do we think the above picture was taken 1972/3? Or one year later. Surprised there was still a Britannia Airways Britannia there
Last one was withdrawn in December 1970. Although G-ANBE and G-ANBL survived until 1972 before getting the chop, I doubt they would have been parked on the main apron during their idle months. "Halcyon Sky" was G-AXMG which arrived late December 1969. I remember a very heavy fall of snow on 4th March 1970 - around 14 inches - and suspect the picture may date from then.
This taken on 8th March when it had melted a little....
https://i.imgur.com/GOfrRV5.jpg

ATNotts
3rd Jan 2018, 08:18
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=britannai+airways&&view=detail&mid=397ADBB71D14604F3DED397ADBB71D14604F3DED&FORM=VRDGAR

Not seen this before although it might have been posted before. It looks so dated now - only twenty years on that voice would be far too posh for a promotional video me thinks.

That kind of voiceover is still pretty common on corporate promotional videos, used for example, on exhibition stands - but as you say, way too posh for today's mass audience.

What occurs to me is how, certainly so far as leisure passengers are concerned, standards of customer service have fallen, whilst at the same times passenger's expectations have at least remained the same, possibly even increased.

I'm sure I heard a major error in the narration, where the script said Britannia were the first airline in Europe to fly the 737 - surely that accolade went to Lufthansa, with the -100 series fleet? Mind you, where promotional films are concerned it's sometime beneficial to not allow the truth to get in the way of a good story!!

treadigraph
3rd Jan 2018, 09:18
He's not posh, he just speaks proper like. :ok:

Lufthansa were the first operator of the 737 full stop - Britannia first in Europe with -200 series aircraft.

LTNman
3rd Jan 2018, 21:58
In the film I glimpsed the large British Airways Express sign than used to be at the end of the check-in desks at Luton. I thought Luton had made the big time when they started to fly to Paris. On Saturday’s they flew to Jersey so I spent a day on the Island before returning home.

YVRLTN
7th Jan 2018, 02:43
I guess Sabre were the last sched pax 727 operator? They did PMI IIRC late 90's.

cj241101
7th Jan 2018, 09:23
I guess Sabre were the last sched pax 727 operator? They did PMI IIRC late 90's.
My records have a series from Sabre using their 727's in winter 1995/6, to Palermo and Naples on Saturdays. They still did some ad-hoc work, including subs for EZY, up to 1997. My last sighting being on 3/11/97. They replaced the 727's with 737-800's in 1998.

https://i.imgur.com/rUrp5lf.jpg
G-BPND 11/7/96, having ferried in from Lasham operated an EZY flight to Glasgow. At a guess the EZY behind is their first -300 G-EZYA.

SpringHeeledJack
7th Jan 2018, 17:54
Here's one at MAN in 1995, sort of reminiscent of the taxiway at LTN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHILrgT7A4A

Although I flew on them a good few times back then, I'd forgotten those HUGE telephone numbers on the side of the 'Stelios Airways' aircraft. It seemed so brash and tacky compared to the established airlines.

YVRLTN
8th Jan 2018, 01:17
My records have a series from Sabre using their 727's in winter 1995/6, to Palermo and Naples on Saturdays. They still did some ad-hoc work, including subs for EZY, up to 1997. My last sighting being on 3/11/97. They replaced the 727's with 737-800's in 1998.

https://i.imgur.com/rUrp5lf.jpg
G-BPND 11/7/96, having ferried in from Lasham operated an EZY flight to Glasgow. At a guess the EZY behind is their first -300 G-EZYA.

Thanks CJ. I do remember PMI for some reason, so must have been an EZY flight. I think they went to Cougar Cargo afterwards with that huge cat decal on the side, I vaguely recall it did stop by LTN too. Did Sabre ever operate the 732 ex LTN?

lotus1
8th Jan 2018, 08:50
I remember avro the ticket agent use to charter sabre quite a lot on the Alicante runs mostly from gatwick with 737 these flights where in conjunction with a big Spanish property developer it would be a 3 day short trip I remember my late parents going on one of these trips and buying in Spain did they operate these from Luton I wonder I know Manchester was used as well

cj241101
8th Jan 2018, 14:33
Did Sabre ever operate the 732 ex LTN?
Correcting my previous, the Naples and Palermo flights W95/6 were in fact operated by their 737's not the 727's. The 737's were delivered on 13/12/94 and 15/12/94 and were operating from Dec 94, 2 flights Sat and 1 Sun until Apr 95 but I didn't record the destinations. S96 I have a 737 operating Sat from May-Oct then based during Jul and Aug. Mar 97 they had a Tenerife flight on a Fri.

https://i.imgur.com/m4sUTuf.jpg
G-SBEA 23/12/94, probably diverted from Gatwick, hence the Tarom behind (diverted from Heathrow).

The Naples/Palermo/Catania flights on the 727 I have recorded as being during July 2000 on Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun.

YVRLTN
13th Jan 2018, 03:35
I also recall Alitalia 767's with British regs, G-OITx series IIRC. Were these for mx at Monarch, on delivery or what was the story?

dc9-32
13th Jan 2018, 06:11
G-SBEA & EB were operated by Air Foyle until Mr Newnham got his own AOC.

thegypsy
13th Jan 2018, 17:35
YVRLTN

Probably Nordstress Alitalia B767 contract?

boeing_eng
13th Jan 2018, 21:34
The Alitalia 767-3's were operated by MON for Alitalia as part of a deal with Ansett Worldwide (as Alitalia crews were not ETOPS qualified at the time)
Its a long time ago but I seem to recall the first two arrived at LTN on delivery with Australian reg's and were then transferred to the UK register before they left.

I've got a couple of pics somewhere but I'm sure CJ will beat me to it! ;o)

cj241101
14th Jan 2018, 14:06
Only picture I can find is this one:-

https://i.imgur.com/Wrv1OUr.jpg
G-OITF 6/8/95

All 6 aircraft (G-OITA/B/C/F/G/L) went on the Italian register Feb-Apr 1997. Their appearances at Luton stopped in Aug 1996, presumably at the end of the maintenance contract with MAEL.

YVRLTN
21st Jan 2018, 18:46
Thank you CJ - I logged OITF 29.05.96.

Another regular visitor at that time were Inversija IL76's - YL-LAK & L. I always assumed they were something to do with Vauxhall, but does anyone know? They were not the only ones either, there were Ukrainian & Russian ones too. I think most were with Air Foyle, I do remember a Khors Aircompany one with them, possibly Heavylift too. I think there was even an Aeroflot one.

cj241101
21st Jan 2018, 21:22
I think there was even an Aeroflot one.

probably this one:-
https://i.imgur.com/D2lAZh0.jpg
12/1/93

LTNman
21st Jan 2018, 22:10
Think they were linked to an oil spillage contract so were on standby.

YVRLTN
22nd Jan 2018, 02:27
Think they were linked to an oil spillage contract so were on standby.

Even the Inversija ones? Air Foyle I think you are right, but there used to be 3-4 on the ground at one time.

dc9-32
22nd Jan 2018, 06:15
76443 was available for charter from Air Foyle and often used to fly the Vauxhall car parts run from DUB to LTN. Fantastic machine to fly on.

treadigraph
22nd Jan 2018, 06:53
That Falcon 50 (or 900?) under the IL-76's nose looks familiar - anyone recall which one it was?

DaveReidUK
22nd Jan 2018, 07:17
That Falcon 50 (or 900?) under the IL-76's nose looks familiar

The one under the tail does. too. :O

treadigraph
22nd Jan 2018, 07:23
The one under the tail does. too. :O

Haven't woken up properly yet! And I've been at work for an hour...

Stan Woolley
22nd Jan 2018, 09:47
That Falcon 50 (or 900?) under the IL-76's nose looks familiar - anyone recall which one it was?

Looks more like a HS125 to me?

treadigraph
22nd Jan 2018, 12:32
Looks more like a HS125 to me?

Falcon under the tail was what I was referring to - Dave is quite right - under the nose is an HS125. Can't tell an IL-76's @rse from its elbow...

lotus1
22nd Jan 2018, 13:51
I remember seeing invesija il76 at manston many times this was also on a omega air charter one day they where changing a wheel they did this buy placing a new tyre over the hub then releasing the back cargo door on to this so it would fit over the rim last time I saw them was at Alicante doing a tuna run to Japan .

Wodgit
23rd Jan 2018, 10:32
The 125 could be the CAA 125-700 G-OCAA that used to fly out of Luton (I went to Lisbon on it once)

cj241101
23rd Jan 2018, 15:09
The 125 could be the CAA 125-700 G-OCAA that used to fly out of Luton (I went to Lisbon on it once)
I think you're correct. I thought it looked like G-BHLF which McAlpine/Magec operated on behalf of Marconi for several years. G-BHLF was re-registered G-OCAA in 1992 and seems to have retained the same scheme.
https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1345327

vintage ATCO
25th Jan 2018, 13:01
5 April 2018 sees the 80th anniversary of Luton Airport being granted a Public Use Aerodrome Licence.

https://i.imgur.com/nnoIhUV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eOZmBLl.jpg

LTNman
25th Jan 2018, 20:49
Vintage ATCO when did you dig that out from?

In the mean time what is lurking in this Luton hangar?

https://i.imgur.com/XPUi6wD.jpg

treadigraph
25th Jan 2018, 21:02
Hawker Tempest V and a sectioned Lincoln I'd suggest?

LTNman
25th Jan 2018, 21:03
Napier hanger with Tempest NX-238 and their Avro Lincoln

I am actually struggling to place the hangar. It doesn't seem to have the Luton shape and the doors don't look right either for the hangars then.

LTNman
25th Jan 2018, 21:11
Did they have a hangar at another airfield as this is Luton unless the first photo was around Percivals.

https://i.imgur.com/RMejJLV.jpg

vintage ATCO
27th Jan 2018, 18:38
That first photo is not Luton.

I dug the Aerodrome Licence out of a skip!!

ZeBedie
27th Jan 2018, 18:55
I dug the Aerodrome Licence out of a skip!!

Is that really true? Amazing and bloody well done!

ZeBedie
27th Jan 2018, 18:57
That first photo is not Luton.

Leavesden?

LTNman
27th Jan 2018, 19:54
Where did Napier have an aircraft hangar apart from Luton?

LTNman
4th Feb 2018, 17:53
Interesting piece about Napier and its altitude record that was set with a flight from Luton in a modified Canberra.

Vulcan To The Sky - Canberra WK163 - 60th Anniversary (http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/910/82/Canberra-WK163-60th-Anniversary.html)

GotTheTshirt
9th Feb 2018, 17:35
Thats interesting article. Behind the canberra on obe photo is the Napier Eland Convair
The Canberra initially only had the drawing of the Scorpion ( No writing) and when they went to Tripoli for hot trials and the crew brought back a scorpion in a Jam Jar !!

Haraka
9th Feb 2018, 18:49
I watched the press flying demo of the record Canberra from our garden in Stopsley.

vintage ATCO
10th Feb 2018, 12:35
I remember watching the Canberra flights from my front garden in Crawley Green Road.

As regards the Napier Convair, it you mean the tail in the first photo then that is not a Convair. A Convair tail tapers towards the top which is more rounded. It looks like the tail of a Bristol 170 to me but unless it is on jacks that is also unlikely!

l.garey
10th Feb 2018, 12:39
That tail looks to me like a DC-6 or DC-7

Laurence

GotTheTshirt
10th Feb 2018, 12:43
Hi, I was refering to the last photo outside the hangar.

vintage ATCO
10th Feb 2018, 12:52
Am I looking at the right photo. I don't see a Convair? :confused:

l.garey
10th Feb 2018, 13:18
I am referring to the first photo, with a DC-6/7 on the left.

Laurence

DaveReidUK
10th Feb 2018, 14:01
It's almost certainly Avro Ashton WB494, used by Napier to test the Sapphire engine.

GotTheTshirt
10th Feb 2018, 14:17
Dave, Was this the ASSa engine? Only web search doesnt show it on the Ashton ??

DaveReidUK
10th Feb 2018, 15:07
On second thoughts, it can't be the Sapphire FTB WB494 as that was an Ashton 4.

Most likely Ashton 2 WB491, which flew from Luton with the prototype Conway and a Napier test pilot.

http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/AI/AI55-10/6-2.jpg

GotTheTshirt
10th Feb 2018, 15:31
Great Picture Dave !

LTNman
13th Feb 2018, 06:38
A bit fuzzy but worth a look. The airport then and now is unrecognizable from when this photo was taken.

https://i.imgur.com/jfqcRS3.jpg

cj241101
13th Feb 2018, 07:39
Monarch's first 720 G-AZFB arrived on 28/11/71 and the first lilac Court Line 1-11 G-AZEB was delivered on 8/12/71. First Britannia 737 in their 2nd scheme I THINK was G-AXNB which I first recorded as such on 26/2/72. Looks like a summers day so 1972-1974, with Court Line folding on 15/8/74. Presumably taken from a floodlight pylon.

GotTheTshirt
13th Feb 2018, 14:54
Court line colour scheme was designed by Murdoch and Associates in London.
The idea was to get away from the typical airline idea with a coloured cheat line and advertise the Holiday Airline. It was launced with great Dog and Pony show at the Royal Lancaster House Hotel London ( Of Rhodesia Fame !!).
There were three colours.The Blue aircraft which repesented the sea, The orange aircraft which repesented the beach and the Pink aircraft which represented the sunset. Each aircraft had 3 shades from dark to light !!.
When BAC were shown the drawings they said "You must be joking " !! However one has to admit it had the deired publicity effect !!

dixi188
13th Feb 2018, 15:25
As a young apprentice at Hurn when the Courtline aircraft were being built, I found the colours, lit by sunlight through the hangar roof, a bit painful when coming into work with a hangover.

ZeBedie
13th Feb 2018, 18:51
When did the last Monarch Britannia go - I didn't realise they were still there in the mid 70's?

canberra97
14th Feb 2018, 00:02
Court line colour scheme was designed by Murdoch and Associates in London.
The idea was to get away from the typical airline idea with a coloured cheat line and advertise the Holiday Airline. It was launced with great Dog and Pony show at the Royal Lancaster House Hotel London ( Of Rhodesia Fame !!).
There were three colours.The Blue aircraft which repesented the sea, The orange aircraft which repesented the beach and the Pink aircraft which represented the sunset. Each aircraft had 3 shades from dark to light !!.
When BAC were shown the drawings they said "You must be joking " !! However one has to admit it had the deired publicity effect !!

Surely there were four colours as evident from the above photo.

Blue
Orange
Pink

And the Lilac as seen!

I did a pleasure flight on a BIA Herald from Southampton in 1974 shortly after the collapse of Court Line and part of the trip included a low fly past along the runway at Hurn with a great view of the recently parked up BAC 1-11's over at the former British Aerospace facility.

I remember at the time feeling quite sad as I had only seen Court Line once before on my first visit to LTN in 1973 and as a young lad I instantly fell in love with the colourful liveries and to be honest I still am it's just a real shame that the airline went bust as it did and it makes you wonder what would have been if it had succeeded to this day.

LynxDriver
14th Feb 2018, 03:18
I'm sure there was a minty green scheme too. I think it was G-AXMG I saw wearing it.

dixi188
14th Feb 2018, 03:58
IIRC The first 7 Court 1-11s were 3 Pink, 2 Green and 2 Orange/Yellow.
The other colours came later.
I believe the cabin crew had uniforms to match the seat colours, but this was a problem when A/C rosters were changed.
Also the interiors became a bit odd when seats or covers were changed and the right colour spare was not available.

canberra97
14th Feb 2018, 06:07
I'm sure there was a minty green scheme too. I think it was G-AXMG I saw wearing it.

Your correct I had forgotten about the green colour scheme, I wonder if a photo exists out there showing a line up of five Court Line 1-11's in their respective colour schemes now that would be something especially if the Tristars were included :-)

GotTheTshirt
14th Feb 2018, 08:14
As I mentioned the colours were representitive and the three 3 basic colours were Red (Sky) Blue (Sea) and Orange (Sand). They were shaded from dark to light to represent setting sun shades hence the various descriptions of Pink Green and Yellow. The Lilac was an oddball much later that was not part of the original set. Of course the two Triastars followed the same scheme

rog747
14th Feb 2018, 08:28
Your correct I had forgotten about the green colour scheme, I wonder if a photo exists out there showing a line up of five Court Line 1-11's in their respective colour schemes now that would be something especially if the Tristars were included :-)

the green was known as turquoise

other colours as mentioned
pink and yellow

and lilac that came later on on the 1-11's ZEB/C and BCCV - i think that was the best one

cj241101
14th Feb 2018, 11:19
When did the last Monarch Britannia go - I didn't realise they were still there in the mid 70's?
G-ANCF was the last Monarch Britannia to be retired, getting sold to African Safari as 5Y-AZP and cancelled from the UK register on 20/1/76. G-AOVT which is the one at Duxford was retired in March 1975.

cj241101
14th Feb 2018, 11:25
It really would be something as there never was a blue scheme. The original publicity back in 1969 quoted "pastel shades of pink, yellow and blue" as the planned colours. The "blue" evolved into "turquoise" (i.e. green). Lilac appeared late 1971. Other schemes were worn by the aircraft Court Line leased from Austral (1971) and British Midland (1972/3); the former featuring a two tone pink line beneath the windows, and the latter the same but in two tone green.

Halcyon Days
14th Feb 2018, 11:52
As I mentioned the colours were representitive and the three 3 basic colours were Red (Sky) Blue (Sea) and Orange (Sand). They were shaded from dark to light to represent setting sun shades hence the various descriptions of Pink Green and Yellow. The Lilac was an oddball much later that was not part of the original set. Of course the two Triastars followed the same scheme

There wasn't a blue colour scheme. G-AXLN which was leased for a short time-carried a hybrid bluey colour as it had previously been with British Midland-which had a predominantly blue scheme.

The standard
colours were Green/Pink/Yellow and Lilac.
Unless you were colour blind-the Green (turquoise?)-could never be seen or considered as a blue colour?

Halcyon Days
14th Feb 2018, 12:05
IIRC The first 7 Court 1-11s were 3 Pink, 2 Green and 2 Orange/Yellow.
The other colours came later.
I believe the cabin crew had uniforms to match the seat colours, but this was a problem when A/C rosters were changed.
Also the interiors became a bit odd when seats or covers were changed and the right colour spare was not available.

Totally wrong about the uniforms Im afraid. Uniform colours were Green/Pink and yellow and each cabin crew member kept the same colour (and didn't have a wardrobe ) of multi coloured uniforms. Likewise rosters were not matched to individual coloured aircraft. You could have an all green uniformed crew on a pink aircraft for instance-or a random mix of colours.

The first yellow coloured uniforms were a much lighter -definite yellow-but they changed later to a more definite orange. All ground girls were green.

PS Im a former Court line ops and crewing person-married to a Court Line Yellow/Orange hostie! !!)

GotTheTshirt
14th Feb 2018, 12:59
As I mentioned the idea behind the scheme was the change from the Autair colours as a standard airline scheme to the Court Line holiday airline scheme.
I mentioned the base colours and what they represented. Each aircraft had THREE shades of the base colours so depending on how you look at it you would see different colours. There was no lilac in the original scheme and that came later.I was the Autair/Court airline rep at BAC for the 1-11 deliveries and was at the Dog and Pony show. I was also reponsible for the liason between Murdoch and BAC. He arrived at Hurn in a full length fur coat and a psychedelic painted Mini. BAC raction to all this was worthy of a TV show. BAC were very staid. As anyone who worked there in those days will remember they had a canteen - for workers, a dining room - for salaried staff and a Restaurant for managers ( and reps !!)

GotTheTshirt
14th Feb 2018, 13:08
Nice photos cj !!
The first three aircraft in the top photo are the original scheme.
The other aircraft are aircraft that were adapted to go out on lease such as LIAT. The COURT decals were added for UK use.

cj241101
14th Feb 2018, 14:11
This is the scheme I was referring to, worn by G-AXLM on lease from BMA 9/73-4/74 . G-AXLN was leased in a similar scheme 3/72-9/73.
https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1206743

rog747
14th Feb 2018, 15:19
This is the scheme I was referring to, worn by G-AXLM on lease from BMA 9/73-4/74 . G-AXLN was leased in a similar scheme 3/72-9/73.
https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1206743

XLN had the cheat line go up the tail
XLM did not - plain tail with clarksons logo

YXB was in pink stripes - same as XLN with tail stripe

sorry this is in B & W provenance from the web - photo taken upon closure 8/74 tristars are out of shot

lotus1
14th Feb 2018, 17:26
There is a documentary on you tube about clarksons holidays great shots of 1 11 a good publicity shot also shots of courtline coaches arriving at Luton with eager holiday makers they where the days

OUAQUKGF Ops
14th Feb 2018, 17:48
I suspect Court Line took a leaf out of Braniff's Book. 'Scuse Thread Drift! Scroll down for B727s.

The 1960s Pucci Air Hostess Uniforms, Ideal for Mile High "Stripping" (http://www.messynessychic.com/2015/01/06/the-1960s-pucci-air-hostess-uniforms-ideal-for-mile-high-stripping/)

Offchocks
14th Feb 2018, 23:18
As anyone who worked there in those days will remember they had a canteen - for workers, a dining room - for salaried staff and a Restaurant for managers ( and reps !!)

I did a 1-11 type rating course there in '78. I can't remember if it was the dinning room or restaurant, but there was waiter service and free booze at lunch, our instructor quickly learned that it was best to get all the hard work done in the morning, making for a sedate pace during the afternoon!:)

HZ123
15th Feb 2018, 04:33
Slight aside we to at BA enjoyed the 'mess' alongside TBA canteen, table service and alcohol readily available (not free mind). This was eventually closed with the opening of the Hatton Cross club, to which many hundreds adjourned to at Friday lunchtime, in addition to other lunchtimes. The late Lord Marshall closed that down as part of economic cutbacks but also due to many staff not returning to work on a Friday afternoon.

PS; What a dreadful uniform no doubt in 110% polyester!

DaveReidUK
15th Feb 2018, 07:44
Slight aside we to at BA enjoyed the 'mess' alongside TBA canteen, table service and alcohol readily available (not free mind). This was eventually closed with the opening of the Hatton Cross club, to which many hundreds adjourned to at Friday lunchtime, in addition to other lunchtimes.

Ah, the Pionair Club, had a good few liquid lunches in there. :O

Made up for all those 3am breakfasts in the adjacent Runway Canteen.

boeing_eng
15th Feb 2018, 15:05
CJ those "modern" stands are far too uncluttered!....I wish it was was like that in reality!;)

LynxDriver
15th Feb 2018, 16:19
I found this in a 1957 issue of the RAF Flying Review magazine.
https://s10.postimg.org/3yn91y2hx/Screenshot_from_2018-02-14_07-06-51.png (https://postimg.org/image/3yn91y2hx/)https://postimg.org/image/3yn91y2hx/

LTNman
15th Feb 2018, 17:32
Totally wrong about the uniforms Im afraid. Uniform colours were Green/Pink and yellow and each cabin crew member kept the same colour (and didn't have a wardrobe ) of multi coloured uniforms. Likewise rosters were not matched to individual coloured aircraft. You could have an all green uniformed crew on a pink aircraft for instance-or a random mix of colours.

The first yellow coloured uniforms were a much lighter -definite yellow-but they changed later to a more definite orange. All ground girls were green.

PS Im a former Court line ops and crewing person-married to a Court Line Yellow/Orange hostie! !!)

https://i.imgur.com/IrZd3O2.jpg
Graham Alexander

Are these two air or ground crew as Halcyon Days says ground girls wore green. They look ground to me but I could be wrong.

https://i.imgur.com/GpVv01L.jpg
Graham Alexander

cj241101
15th Feb 2018, 19:35
CJ those "modern" stands are far too uncluttered!....I wish it was was like that in reality!;)
Just imagine how cluttered they'd be if all THREE handling agents had their own steps, GPU's, tugs and were all squabbling over equipment parked in the wrong places etc.
I seem to recall when Monarch were doing their own handling, all equipment was parked either outside their hangar or in the space now occupied by hangar 127. Leaving equipment anywhere on the apron was verboten. The old photo posted by LTNman would appear to support this, with little or no clutter in evidence. Ahh..the good old days....

LTNman
15th Feb 2018, 21:11
There is only one set of equipment per stand now which all handling agents now share.

Groundloop
15th Feb 2018, 23:23
I think the request was if an actual photograph of actual aircraft existed - not some computer mock-up.

canberra97
15th Feb 2018, 23:52
I think the request was if an actual photograph of actual aircraft existed - not some computer mock-up.

Exactly it was myself who asked :-)

Even though the CGI is nice to look at it doesn't really do it for me compared to the real thing :-)

OUAQUKGF Ops
16th Feb 2018, 08:11
Ltnman - Your photo of the two young ladies by the car park.......

It looks from their uniform logo as though they are Clarksons Holidays Staff.

The Duty Officer depicted in the photo of The Court Line check in desk is Mike Duval - a splendid chap. I wonder where he is now?

Georgeablelovehowindia
16th Feb 2018, 09:46
In 1969, I met up with my old British Eagle housemate Bob Ashley-Haskins. I think he was Autair's Traffic Manager by then. "Here you go Scruggs, cast your eyes on the new corporate identity" he said.

My reaction was somewhat similar to that of Alan de Cadenet nearly having a haircut from Ray Hanna in a passing Spitfire.

"Quite" said Bob.

:)

GotTheTshirt
16th Feb 2018, 10:29
LTNman
The first Autair aircraft at Luton was a DC3 G-AJIC. Was there any pictures of that one ??

LTNman
16th Feb 2018, 10:50
According to Colours in the Sky the first DC3 was G-AMGD which was obtained on 8/4/1960. G-AJIC arrived a year later in March 1961. I assume G-AMGD visited Luton

https://i.imgur.com/l2PSfiO.jpg

boeing_eng
16th Feb 2018, 11:25
There is only one set of equipment per stand now which all handling agents now share.

However, all three handling agents still have a multitude of vehicles....which are usually dumped in large numbers on stands closest to crewrooms!

cj241101
16th Feb 2018, 12:16
Yes I would much rather have a picture of the real thing. When no such picture is forthcoming, I can replicate one with FS2004. Isn't a "computer mock up" picture better than no picture? Anyway I have removed it as it seems to be causing offence to the narrow-minded.

rog747
16th Feb 2018, 12:27
Graham Alexander

Are these two air or ground crew as Halcyon Days says ground girls wore green. They look ground to me but I could be wrong.

Graham Alexander

the girls could be clarksons holiday reps on the terminal tours/ticket desk rather than court line aviation ground reps?

Georgeablelovehowindia
16th Feb 2018, 14:06
The lady on the right is sporting the bog-standard bouffant hairdo of that era. My BOAC girlfriend had one of those too. It was rather silly of me to remark that her uniform forage cap perched precariously on top was a triumph of engineering over gravity. She gave me a slap that damn dear knocked me into the middle of next week.

I mention this because, in the background, between their heads, another triumph of engineering over gravity is taking place - just!

LTNman
16th Feb 2018, 15:16
A whole set of posts that were posted here today have disappeared including posts about Autair DC3's :confused:

rog747
16th Feb 2018, 16:42
According to Colours in the Sky the first DC3 was G-AMGD which was obtained on 8/4/1960. G-AJIC arrived a year later in March 1961. I assume G-AMGD visited Luton

https://i.imgur.com/l2PSfiO.jpg

dont panic still here

GotTheTshirt
16th Feb 2018, 17:02
Rog, Yes GD ( Ex BEA) was first and was based in Southend. Skyways put a Dak through the fence in Southend and GD operated that summer for them ( that was were the pic was taken??). G-AJIC went to Fields Wymeswold after purchase and was modified for Aerial Photo Survey. It went out to Sierra Leone for Hunting Surveys taking Happy Snappies !! The filming was done at 20,000 ft !!

LTNman
16th Feb 2018, 18:26
Doesn't look like Southend as there are too many trees

Halcyon Days
16th Feb 2018, 20:39
Graham Alexander

Graham Alexander

Well they are ground girls but Clarksons -Tour operator staff-not CourtLine air or ground staff.

canberra97
16th Feb 2018, 23:21
Yes I would much rather have a picture of the real thing. When no such picture is forthcoming, I can replicate one with FS2004. Isn't a "computer mock up" picture better than no picture? Anyway I have removed it as it seems to be causing offence to the narrow-minded.

I didn't mean to take offence I liked it actually and I replied in the way that I did in a nostalgic way nothing more you shouldn't of deleted it definitely not :-)

LTNman
18th Feb 2018, 08:38
I forgot about the Courtline boater as Luton used to be a major player in the hat industry.

https://i.imgur.com/KpZJhxD.jpg
previously published by Graham Alexander

lotus1
18th Feb 2018, 09:50
If I am right courtline acquired a coach company beleive it was originally Hilton or hillside I remember they also was painted up in colourful colours and operated at the north London air terminal

rog747
18th Feb 2018, 09:58
seawards coaches ?
or
also costins of luton maybe

LTNman
18th Feb 2018, 10:14
Court Line's coach fleet continues operations 'for the present'
A GO-AHEAD to stay in operation has been given to Court Line Coaches Ltd by Mr Rupert Nicholson, who has been appointed to wind up the Court Line holiday giant which collapsed last week. Court Line Coaches has a fleet of 59 coaches and its managing director Mr Ron Keech told CM on Tuesday that the company has been told it could continue trading. He had however, "no idea" what might happen in a few months' time.
The coach subsidiary has not itself gone bankrupt and is a viable entity. Staff were working normally this week although an estimated 10 per cent may have to be laid off. The spokesman pointed out that only 16 per cent of its business was dependent on the Court Line holiday business and that it has several major contracts with other concerns.

Think they also folded just after this was written. They used to also operate bus services around the local area.

Tempsford
18th Feb 2018, 16:33
The scale of the three Court Line Girls in front of the 1-11 is interesting. Must have been the ‘Tom Thumb’ Crew?

OUAQUKGF Ops
18th Feb 2018, 16:48
The Coach Company concerned was Hillside Coaches formed in 1953 by Ron and Cynthia Keech as Diadem Coaches. They first became became closely associated with Autair in 1963 and provided services between Luton Airport and The North London Air Terminal. As Autair expanded so did Hillside, eventually to be taken over by Court Line. I gleaned this gen from Graham Simons' book 'Colours in the Sky'.

LTNman
19th Feb 2018, 11:29
I guess the days of boarding between the engines are all but over?

https://i.imgur.com/bmiqPRK.jpg

staircase
19th Feb 2018, 12:22
lord how i missed having an 'air stair' in the jet when i converted from 1-11 to 757

mustbeaboeing
19th Feb 2018, 12:36
Can you imagine today’s folk boarding, whilst the APU is on, exhaust screaming above their heads?

rog747
19th Feb 2018, 12:51
do newer 737's still have the options of fwd airstars?

you can still go up back on an MD80 meridiana have some left on line

Mooncrest
19th Feb 2018, 13:32
The APU on the 1-11 is incredibly noisy. I found this out boarding an Adria/Tarom aircraft at Leeds and Ljubljana back in 1987.

GotTheTshirt
19th Feb 2018, 21:16
Lockheed designed and built an airstair for the Court L1011.
It folded away into the cargo hold and as it was said at the time it was "Monkey Motion " !!

rog747
20th Feb 2018, 06:40
Lockheed designed and built an airstair for the Court L1011.
It folded away into the cargo hold and as it was said at the time it was "Monkey Motion " !!

with Court the steps lasted maybe all or just some of the first summer 1973 season then were removed
if the mechanisms failed then it was a case of the F/E abseiling down a rope ladder with a big handle to turn 5 different notch positions (same to retract them then he had to climb back up)

LTU also had it fitted on their 1st one but they too got rid sooner or later

rumour has it the designer was the same chap who designed the vickers valiant (or was it the victor) main undercarriage

LTU also obtained 3 of the PSA ordered Tristars (NTU) which had a much better and simpler forward of the wing lower deck door with an airstair to gain access to the to the lower deck passenger lounge and seating area and stair up to the main deck
(IL96 had this too)

DaveReidUK
20th Feb 2018, 15:09
OMG.

http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/AE/AE73-6/24-1.jpg

What could possibly go wrong with those? :O

treadigraph
20th Feb 2018, 15:20
Wow! Heath-Robinson worked at Lockheed; who knew?

ZeBedie
20th Feb 2018, 21:02
How did they ever fit back into the hold again!

canberra97
21st Feb 2018, 03:43
do newer 737's still have the options of fwd airstars?

you can still go up back on an MD80 meridiana have some left on line

Ryanair have the optional forward air stairs fitted to their entire fleet of B738's and I'm sure that it's available on the MAX but due to the added weight not many airlines take up this option.

LTNman
21st Feb 2018, 04:27
Looking at those two photos not only did those stairs have to unfold but they then has to be swung across to the door.

View video from 8 minute to see the stairs unfold.

https://youtu.be/6oTI-z1RAEU

GotTheTshirt
21st Feb 2018, 08:19
As you can see "Monkey Motion" !!
Also the catering was a little upmarket from seat back catering a la 1-11 !!

HZ123
21st Feb 2018, 09:01
About the only thing we kept in common at BA with the 'video' was the electric doors times 2! Must have been some weight penalty with the addons albeit I am impressed with the telescopic loading.

boeing_eng
21st Feb 2018, 11:22
Gawd knows how many limit switches those stairs had!....but it would have only taken one playing up to stop them working (no wonder why they didn't last long!)

At least on the 737 if the airstairs play-up, a good kick usually does the trick!:}

GotTheTshirt
21st Feb 2018, 13:54
Dont forget that the CL operation was in the good old days to airfields with little equipment so it had to be fairly self supporting.
Even things like LCN and ESWL were a major headache, with some airfields not even being index.

Also if RR had not gone broke and delayed deliveries then it would have been even earlier !!

LTNman
22nd Feb 2018, 13:31
With matching Court coaches

https://i.imgur.com/Gdka591.jpg

cj241101
25th Feb 2018, 21:11
Slightly off topic I know but does anyone have any information, even better photos, on the airfield at Wilstead which I remember was used for parachuting in the 70's and probably into the 80's. I seem to recall a Cessna 180/185 talking to Luton Approach when they got airborne. The location of the airfield and runway length and direction would be a start. No apparent trace remains on Google Earth that I can tell.

22/04
25th Feb 2018, 21:50
Was located here
Address: Duck End Farm
Duck End Lane
Wilstead
Bedford
Bedfordshire
MK45 3HP

I visited in the 1970s- still looks to be in the same family the Maskells who owned an ex College of Aeronautics Auster.

cj241101
26th Feb 2018, 10:54
Thanks 22/04. Auster would have been G-AMYD which was registered to the Maskells from 1971 to 2005. Don't suppose you can pinpoint where the runway might have been from this Google Earth 2002 aerial view? (part of my FS2004 ongoing project).

https://i.imgur.com/4ZwtL36.jpg

Monde
26th Feb 2018, 11:40
Cj! Due north of the D in Duck End is a white building which I think is the hangar in the middle of the strip . Runway is/was 13/31`. He was an Uncle of Mr Hutton ! I landed there in the balloon once , nice guy ! You can still (just) see it from the A6 if you know where to look.

thegypsy
26th Feb 2018, 13:32
cj241101

Any chance you could produce a photo of the old Barton le Clay airfield site now an Industrial Estate and farmland?

boeing_eng
26th Feb 2018, 13:49
A bit of info here CJ......No precise location given though

Duck End Farm - UK Airfield Guide (http://www.ukairfieldguide.net/airfields/Duck-End-Farm)

cj241101
26th Feb 2018, 14:50
cj241101

Any chance you could produce a photo of the old Barton le Clay airfield site now an Industrial Estate and farmland?

I'm afraid not. There was a picture posted on this thread a while back, though:-
https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/527527-luton-history-nostalgia-97.html#post9615664

cj241101
26th Feb 2018, 14:54
Cj! Due north of the D in Duck End is a white building which I think is the hangar in the middle of the strip . Runway is/was 13/31`. He was an Uncle of Mr Hutton ! I landed there in the balloon once , nice guy ! You can still (just) see it from the A6 if you know where to look.

What looks like a hangar is still there in the latest Google Earth image from 2017, albeit looking a little overgrown. Thanks for the reply, gives me something I can work with.

cj241101
26th Feb 2018, 15:04
A bit of info here CJ......No precise location given though

Duck End Farm - UK Airfield Guide (http://www.ukairfieldguide.net/airfields/Duck-End-Farm)
Thanks for the link boeing_eng. Not a website I've been to before and it looks like a goldmine of information!

thegypsy
26th Feb 2018, 21:21
cj no problem as have found a photo of Barton in the Clay airfield.

cj241101
27th Feb 2018, 07:01
cj no problem as have found a photo of Barton in the Clay airfield.
Probably via this link which has some information and a photo? :-
https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?86219-Barton(Beds)-Aerodrome

GLIDERMAN
27th Feb 2018, 09:30
If you know where to look, two of the hangars still exist on the industrial estate, but they are unrecognisable as hangars today, as they have been re-cladded for use as industrial units.

OUAQUKGF Ops
27th Feb 2018, 11:29
Aerial Views Of U.K. Airfields - Barton In The Clay Bedfordshire (http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/BartonInTheClay.html)

TSR2
28th Feb 2018, 21:53
My one and only flight from Luton Airport was on the 2nd June 1973 on board a brand new Court Line Aviation Lockheed Tristar bound for the Paris Airshow.

I have two very vivid memories of this flight. First the taxi to the runway seemed to go along a cliff edge. The aircraft stopped short of the runway waiting for a landing aircraft. From my window seat I could see a huge factory in the valley way below and remember thinking that I would not feel safe working there. Secondly, the loud 'sawmill' sound of the engines at take-off power. A truly magnificent experience for the time.

I am certain of the date as it was the day before the Russian TU144 crashed. I had returned home and just sat down to watch Raymond Baxter present Airshow when the crash happened.

kenparry
1st Mar 2018, 07:05
First the taxi to the runway seemed to go along a cliff edge. The aircraft stopped short of the runway waiting for a landing aircraft. From my window seat I could see a huge factory in the valley way below and remember thinking that I would not feel safe working there.

Sounds like you took off to the East, runway 08. Yes, it's a steep drop down to the Vauxhall factory - still going, rather smaller than in the 70s, these days building only vans.

GotTheTshirt
1st Mar 2018, 07:46
Thats the one that the HS125 hit after takeoff from 08

oldandbald
1st Mar 2018, 09:10
The 125 accident was in 1967 and it was performing a training departure on runway 26 - very sad
https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19671223-1

LTNman
1st Mar 2018, 18:30
A few years ago at Stopsley fire station I saw a wall photo of what I think now was a Canberra but my mind might be playing up. The new control tower was in the background and this Canberra had crashed or made a wheels up landing.

Anyone care to speculate whether I have lost the plot?

vintage ATCO
2nd Mar 2018, 10:54
G-KAXF Hawker Hunter 25 Jul 1999. The pilot was Rod Dean.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5422f9eeed915d1371000789/dft_avsafety_pdf_501264.pdf

vintage ATCO
2nd Mar 2018, 11:14
Rod was on his way back to Cranfield, where he had permission to land out of hours, after leaving the RIAT show. On arrival he couldn’t get the left main gear down. Deciding it was preferably to crash somewhere that had fire cover, he opted to divert to Luton and his first call to Luton Approach was ‘can’t get the left main gear down, 20 mins fuel remaining’ which concentrated the mind of the Luton Approach controller on a busy Sunday evening!

He landed with the nose and right gear extended. The aircraft had wing tanks and the left one detached and caught fire. The aeroplane ended up on the grass, Rod hopped out and made the seat safe. It was moved after a couple of hours and then after temporary repairs flew out a week later with the gear down.

I was Manager ATS at the time but on leave, working as a volunteer at RIAT! I was leading a convoy of balloonists out of Fairford when my mobile rang. It was the Airport Duty Manager who didn’t need to call me. All I heard was ‘wreckage all over the runway’. With 80,000 people streaming out of Fairford all ringing their mums to say when they would be home it was a while before I could call back and find out what had really happened.

Rod tells a good story about it and it is mentioned in his book.

https://i.imgur.com/1gNQpMG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IuOWxKR.jpg

Pics by Chiltern Air Support.

GotTheTshirt
4th Mar 2018, 08:06
The 125 accident happened just after everyone had gone home for the Christmas holiday so fortuantely no one was in the factory. Vauxhall had from Christmas to New Year holiday and they called in an army of tradesmen who rebuilt the end of the factory during the Holiday. !!

Simtech
4th Mar 2018, 12:47
Rod Dean was the speaker at last month's meeting of the Milton Keynes Aviation Society. He recounted the story of the Hunter at Luton, complete with pictures as posted by vintage ATCO. A very interesting and informative lecture.

LTNman
4th Mar 2018, 16:49
What happened to the Hunter after the accident?

DaveReidUK
4th Mar 2018, 17:11
What happened to the Hunter after the accident?

Still flying.

http://www.militaryaircraft.de/pictures/military/aircraft/Hunter/KLu13/Hawker-Hunter_KLu-2013_0134_800.jpg

GotTheTshirt
9th Mar 2018, 08:27
The first CL Tristar flew from Palmdale in several legs stopping at various NA airport and "hot swopped ' CL pilots to get in the required number of sectors for licence endorsement.
The second Tristar flew direct from Palmdale to Luton. Originally the Tristar was for the European traffic but CL also had the hotels in the Caribbean so that route was looked at by Lockheed. In those days before the current nav rules most long range routes were 4 engined aircraft so the perfomance was predicated on 50 % of powerplants inop ! A problem for Tristar as they required 2 engine out senario !!

lotus1
9th Mar 2018, 08:44
A family member flew to the Caribbean on a courtline tristar. They went to stlucia they said the flight was great so much room believe courtline operated the tristar in a 350 seat operation for the Caribbean route .Even the hotel was called Halycon .I also had a work mate who told me he went on a clarksons holiday nearer to home Mediterranean but in this case the Tristar was backed to the rafters.

LTNman
9th Mar 2018, 08:47
Wasn't there a sister airline in that neck of the woods that was somehow linked to Courtline.

rog747
9th Mar 2018, 08:48
The first CL Tristar flew from Palmdale in several legs stopping at various NA airport and "hot swopped ' CL pilots to get in the required number of sectors for licence endorsement.
The second Tristar flew direct from Palmdale to Luton. Originally the Tristar was for the European traffic but CL also had the hotels in the Caribbean so that route was looked at by Lockheed. In those days before the current nav rules most long range routes were 4 engined aircraft so the perfomance was predicated on 50 % of powerplants inop ! A problem for Tristar as they required 2 engine out senario !!

yes OU had hotels in ANU nd UVF (plus the bahamas?)

the a/c routed via gander or azores?