PDA

View Full Version : Emirates - Wannabes & Recruitment VI

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Mari
24th Jan 2010, 15:02
prat eegle,

my friend has the same problem. Are you having your final exams at college/university, as well? (I assumed because you mentioned 6 months. Finals are usually in June and at the beginning of July in my country.)

My advice: TRY! As far as I know there are aircrafts arriving (expected to arrive!) in the second half of 2010, so there should be training courses in July, as well.

Do you think there is a chance for another OD in your country this year?! If yes, wait for it. If you are not sure... well, I would go now...

Oh, one more thing: It's pretty crazy now because
1. there was no recruitment for 9 months in 2009.
2. Emirates received 3 A380s recently.
3. New Year: lots of resignations.

But: there are no more A380s till end of May. (Although there might be Boeings, I actually don't know...)

Good luck and all the best!

HCC
24th Jan 2010, 17:21
I didn't have any problem with my visa. I can see now that they had my visa from 12 Jan, but i didn't send the right "Release letter" from my previous company and they told me on thursday that is not the right one.:ugh: But I fix the problem and now I am going soon....I think I am nervous and happy...

So nobody else in our GROUP???

bibos
25th Jan 2010, 00:20
I have the same situation as yours , it still shows in progress but what differs is that i didnt know my accomodation so far ! also my doj is on the 8th and training starts on the 18th !
when and how did you get the adress of the accomodation ? my travel arrangements didnt start too !!
i uploaded the resignation letter about 3 days ago and still waiting.:ugh:

Canadiana
25th Jan 2010, 00:59
I have my FI on Wednesday in Dubai, where I am on visit visa. Some questions for anyone who knows the answers (especially if you had your FI in Dubai):

1 - I specifically want to fly A380 since I am from Toronto, and would love layovers at home. Should I mention this in the FI? Will this hurt my chances (or help them) if I do so?

2 - I do not have access to my diplomas right now. They are in Toronto, and I would have to make my mother search for them, scan and upload them. Will they accept educational transcripts instead, since I can request those online? They gave me an email address to upload any late photos, can I send my diplomas to that after the FI?

3 - If I am successful, will my DOJ be sooner rather than later, since I am not employed, said I could join immediately, and am on visit visa? Or will they make me pay to renew my visit visa (which expires 9 Feb)?

4 - If you are successful, do you receive your DOJ only after medicals are approved?

Thanks, and good luck to all!

aishney
25th Jan 2010, 06:52
HCC, i'm in the same group with you, flying off tomorrow midnight..

Mari, thanks for the info but i doubt i gona change cos it was so hassle to move all over to another place, just cross my finger the apartment would be just fine with me :) but without security was kinda dangerous how come you sat GREAT..haha i wonder why...

leaving tomorrow midnight... :8

jzmn59
25th Jan 2010, 09:20
which OD did you go to?
I also attended one a couple days back and we all got our AD notification on the spot. It's happening in 2 weeks and i am so nervous!!!!

bibos
25th Jan 2010, 09:24
can some one tell me how can i know if they recieved the resignation paper i uploaded ?
thank you

rayair111
25th Jan 2010, 09:43
HI, congratulations to arrive to the FI but i will give you some advices and some info about what you want to know:
1- You can not choose the aircraft that you want to fly , cause if you are sucessful you will be trained for everything and then only EK has the right to choose which aircraft they will put you on, and as i heard A380 demand an experienced crew and not for new joiners at least grade1 cabin crew cause when you start flying you will start as grade 2 cabin crew .
And do not mention for the recruiters that yoou like to fly on A380 and you like layover to toronto it will have a negative impact about your interview cause as a future cabin crew you are supposed to fly to any destination and to be trained to any aircraft , the important thing they wanted from you is your level in customer service .
2- For your diplomas and certificates you can email them everything later even after your FI ,same for your photos and you have to ask them about the dimensions of the photos cause they accept only with specific ones
3-If you are sucessful they don't give you the answer staightaway , they will tell you to wait from 2 to 6 weeks from your FI date to get the answers .
4- And of course if your are successful your DOJ is just after your medical clearance from EK was accepted
And finally pray to GOD to help all of us who are in waiting , and a good luck for you :ok:

yulimaga
25th Jan 2010, 09:59
Hi Bibos
You can see it from the sign that appears next to resignation section on the left at the section "Step 2 Joining" and down "Resignation, it becomes "Completed, a tick.

QLisaQ
25th Jan 2010, 10:09
Hi Canadiana
Good luck for weds.

As far as I know, only from attending the AD in london a week and a half ago, they already have crew trained on the A380...Although they said that crew do get most destinations on the other aircrafts.

With the diplomas....they only want photo compies any way, so that shouldn't be a problem to send them with in the 7 days that your photos need to be given. They never asked to see my originals.

With the joining date...Its unpredictable as so many people have waited weeks and weeks for the golden call. When you are at your assessment day, you will need to fill in a form which has a start date question, you can put immediatly, but it can take time.

I believe you get your DOJ when you get the golden call....and then have to get your medicals done in the mean time.

I hope this infomation is right...but im sure someone on here will correct me if im wrong in anything :O

But you do have a chance to fire questions at the assessors at your interview.

Fingers crossed for you

bibos
25th Jan 2010, 10:26
then they didnt get the papers yet!!! :}
i will send them a mail.
thanks

ruukun
25th Jan 2010, 11:25
does anyone know the specific consequences or penalties if you re-apply within the specified 6 month period after failing an AD?

i've heard of people who got in within 6 months by applying in a different country; i wonder how strict they really are? ...

emirateshopefully
25th Jan 2010, 11:51
:ok::D

Hi guys,

I hope everyone is doing well. Well done for all the golden calls, and good luck to everyone attending the open days. I got my medicals done on week 7 of not hearing anything, this saved me a lot of time and trouble. I think it is better to have them done in advance, but not too early. They are valid for 3 months after you do them. I think it depends on money though, as mine were very expensive. Better to think ahead then running around at the last moment. I am still waiting on one result, but thankfully the other results have been sent.
If anyone has a doj for 1st March, then please let me know, it would be good to have some people to relate to on first days of joining.
Also Lucy, how is it going in Dubai? I hope everything is good, you have given everyone on here a lot of info, so if you get a second, any more info about exams and training would be great.
See you in Dubai:ok:

Ceci
25th Jan 2010, 15:40
Hi Everybody!
Does anyone have DOJ in april??? I have been selected for de A380's Training! So excited!!!
Best
Ceci

jaye
25th Jan 2010, 18:31
are you sure they had been to an AD beforehand? Just asking because I had a little pm convo on here with someone who said they knew someone who hadnt been successful in spain, then went to an OD in Italy a week later and got through but in the end we figured out they hadnt been to an AD in Spain, they had just applied for it and hadnt been invited.

When you apply they ask for your passport number, so i think they would probably have it on record somewhere. Its probably not worth the risk incase you did get all the way through to the end, just to be caught and rejected. It wouldn't exactly look good and would probably be very difficult to get through ever again after that.

Dessa
26th Jan 2010, 00:24
Hello Everyone!!
I`ve been looking this forum a long timeee!! It's really good to know about everyone that got the golden call and will be my future partners, and thank you guys, this forum helps to keep the "desperates" faith! Including mine few times!
For the people that still waiting GOOD LUCK!! :ok:

My DOJ is April 12, I got the golden call a week ago after 8 weeks of waiting! =) and still pretty good! :O

Bye ..and I hope to get to know you nice people!

Mochila
26th Jan 2010, 05:15
Hello, my husband has recently interviewed with Emirates for cabin crew. He had his final interview last week, and said that it went very well. If he ends up getting the job, I would like to accompany him to Dubai. I am wondering how soon I can be with him, is there a waiting period for married couples to be together? 3 months, 6 months, after the training? Would we have to live outside of the staff accommodation or is there a staff house for married couples? How much is the live out allowance for a cabin crew member? Also, I work as a massage therapist, do you think Emirates would be willing to interview me and help me find a job in one of their spas in Dubai. Any knowledge that you have would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all of the applicants.

Warm Regards,
Mochila

CharliD
26th Jan 2010, 09:52
Hi guys, Just wanted to know if anyone could help me, regarding what questions they will ask as i have no idea!

Many Thanks

Charli

vespaet3
26th Jan 2010, 10:59
Hi everyone,

If you've recently completed your medicals please can you help...

I don't need to complete Appendix 3, the ophthalmic report, as I don't have any vision problems, but my question is about uploading the medical documents.

It says appendix 3 is yet to be uploaded.

For those in my situation, who do not need corrective lenses, did you just leave that one item outstanding from your medical upload list?

Did your final approval come through anyway? Or should I upload the form with N/A or similar written on it?
Also how long do we have to wait for final approval after submitting medical and security docs?

She is kenyan
26th Jan 2010, 11:13
Hey guys, i got a text message from the emirates hr saying that i've been invited for an interview but first i need to confirm asap an email that they have sent to me but i have not received any email of that nature from them yet, its been 2 days, what should i do? Should i continue waiting or should i contact them and tell them i've not received it of which i dont have any contacts for their hr department. I dont even know where the interview is coz i had applied for openings in kenya and Dubai. Has anyone gone though the same thing? Please help me out, please.

jaye
26th Jan 2010, 11:19
if they're asking you to confirm you have received an email they sent, but you havent received it then make sure you've checked your junk mail box etc but if its definitely not there then contact them to make sure they have the right email address.

CharliD I sent you a PM :ok:

valensi
26th Jan 2010, 11:48
Do you have an account on the Emirates Group Careers Website? Copies of emails/any other correspondence are normally sent to the mailbox on your online application. Check that and it should tell you the date time and location of your AD plus the dress code and an address you can respond to - hope that works! xo

rayair111
26th Jan 2010, 12:12
i would like to ask about the medical , how to do it , shoud i go to any doctor i like or to the hospital and how many analysis to do ?
In waiting your answers have my best salutations :ok:

lucy21
26th Jan 2010, 13:08
Hi all,

I know most of you will find information on life out here useful so i'll just write a quick summary of what it's been like for me. I've been here for 7 weeks now and just finished my training yesterday.

My batchmates are fab, we all get on really well and I'll miss not seeing them everyday now that i'm flying. There were 12 in my batch and there were 4 batches in my abinitio, probably about 60 of us in total. In my batch alone there were 9 nationalities and we're all great friends.

First week is all induction, medical, paperwork etc so there's quite a lot of waiting around but it's really nice to get to know your batchmates while you wait! Then 2 weeks of SEP, great fun on the simulators and probably the hardest part of the knowledge you have to learn particularly for those who don't speak english as a first language, lots of airline terminology etc! Then you have a week of General Medical Training which isn't too difficult if you speak good english, next is Grooming, Security and finally Service Training which is what you'll use most!! The trainers we had were great and so supportive- they want you to do well and pass the courses.

At the beginning i was on early classes so pick up was at 6.30am and drop off at 4.00pm so the days are long when you're tired. For service training I was on evenings, starting class at 3.45pm and finishing at 11.30pm which suited me better - I'm much more alert in the evenings!

I just got my first roster; I have 5 layovers to Munich, Frankfurt, London and Morocco twice and i have 5 turnarounds too. To be honest we've been told these rosters we get now will probably be better than the ones we get after probation when we can bid and I can believe this, some of my friends have MEL-SIN, MEL-AKL etc so they're amazing flights and great hours - my first months salary with flying hours will be just over 9000AED; easy to live off.

The accommodation I have here is great - my whole building is full of crew and everyone is lovely. On the whole, so far it's been an amazing experience, my only homesick day was day one and as soon as I met my batch I was fine! I'd highly recommend it, the exams aren't as hard as i thought, me and my batch got over 90% on all exams, the only people who struggled were those whose English wasn't great so make sure you practice your english!

Hope that my brief little note is of some use to those of you who are trying to get out here - LIFE HERE IS AMAZING :)!!!

Lucy x

rise-up
26th Jan 2010, 14:00
As on the website, Cabin crew assesment days in Kenya- Nairobi are happening tommorow. So I think you should hurry and get in touch with EK and get the venue for it.

Also as suggested already, look up your account on the website and check the messages you have recieved there.

Good luck.

Global Assessment Days for January 2010

The schedule below enlists open days in different regions which you can register for online.
CountryDateTimeIndia, DelhiRef No: CC/BB/1394627-Jan-2010 - 28-Jan-201009:00 am Register Now (https://ekgrpapplications.emirates.com/careersonlineapps/CC_OPENDAYS/GlobalAssesmentDays.aspx?AdvNo=3E248B422E1D55E4) Remarks: Preliminary Selections will be done in conjunction with our appointed agency Frankfinn Management Consultants.
Kenya, NairobiRef No: CC/BB/1402127-Jan-2010 - 28-Jan-201009:00 am Register Now (https://ekgrpapplications.emirates.com/careersonlineapps/CC_OPENDAYS/GlobalAssesmentDays.aspx?AdvNo=8C9DBC650B313DC8) South Africa, DurbanRef No: CC/BB/1396730-Jan-201009:00 am Register Now (https://ekgrpapplications.emirates.com/careersonlineapps/CC_OPENDAYS/GlobalAssesmentDays.aspx?AdvNo=8C010BC4FCC91181) Morocco, CasablancaRef No: CC/BB/1345031-Jan-201009:00 am Register Now (https://ekgrpapplications.emirates.com/careersonlineapps/CC_OPENDAYS/GlobalAssesmentDays.aspx?AdvNo=7B43E4D2D75F0982) Remarks: Preliminary Selections will be done in conjunction with our appointed agency CFPNC.

Copied from the website... hope it helps.

aishney
26th Jan 2010, 14:55
Oh.. lucy21.. that was so nice of you sharing such a great info with us..
i really reallu appreciate it so much..
currently waiting at the airport, gona be boarding to dubai in less than 2 hours...
i'm glad the MOSTLY turnarounds roster wasnt fully implement.. :) which is indeed a very great news for all of us :ok:
take care and enjoy flying life :}

bibos
26th Jan 2010, 18:23
thank you for the great information , you just made me so excited and more interested in leaving now !
aishney have a safe trip and enjoy your time
good luck everyone :ok:

iio78
26th Jan 2010, 19:32
hi guys,
i just want to ask if is there anyone who have been twice to final interview with emirates and failed twice? cause i am in this position now and the emails that i received have the same reference number. is that a mistake maybe? or this is how is supose to be?

michaelskofield
26th Jan 2010, 19:58
Does anyone know the direct no. for HR Recruitment in UAE (headquarters)? Im currently residing in Doha,Qatar. Cause I have to ask some questions for application. Thanks.

shez
26th Jan 2010, 20:12
Thank you so much Lucy that was a great summary and encouraging summary.Hope to see you soon

fqasis
26th Jan 2010, 20:33
Hi how did you know that they assigned a380 training, when they inform you that after you have done all you medical and every thing?

jzmn59
27th Jan 2010, 01:09
Hi all,

This is not a "lazy" question. I do know that the dress code for AD is typically a skirt and blouse suit but I would like to ask if anyone knows whether a formal shirt-dress is okay?

I've heard that some girls show up in dresses and it's fine but I would like to seek the opinion of you guys.

I am thinking of wearing a black shirt-dress (shown below). Is this okay?

Thanks in advance!!

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/0/7/8/7/6/webimg/338807117_o.jpg

She is kenyan
27th Jan 2010, 04:24
Thanks a lot guys for your help on my last post,. I got the email yesterday and sent the confirmation, hope its not too late coz the AD for nairobi is tomorrow. Am so nervous!! What do i need to carry? my school certificates?

fa_wannabe_20
27th Jan 2010, 04:29
Can my family come to visit and stay with me in company accommodation? (javascript:void(0);)

Family members can stay in your apartment in accordance with the Emirates accommodation regulations.
try to read this link
FAQ's | Cabin Crew | Explore Our Careers | Emirates Group Careers Centre (http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/english/Careers_Overview/cabin_crew/faqs.aspx)

youll see it there

just your resume. and wear a smile. goodluck!

anyone knows when would ek conduct an open day here in the philippines?

fa_wannabe_20
27th Jan 2010, 05:20
i think no one fails..:) are you for training already?

sb1004
27th Jan 2010, 06:49
Hi everyone,

I had my final interview recently and had to sit a psycology test at the end of it, is this a bad sign? Why do they do this if we already did the personality test beforehand?

Any ideas?
Cheers!

jzmn59
27th Jan 2010, 07:48
I never heard of a psychology test. I thought it was only the psychometric test.
Can you share what the psychology test is about? TIA!!

sb1004
27th Jan 2010, 08:55
I don't think it's a psychology test as such but more of an aptitude test.... Has anyone else done one of these?

jzmn59
27th Jan 2010, 09:02
Ahh so you are talking about the psychometric test aren't you? 16PF?

That's normal for the AD, before the FI. But this is the first time I'm hearing that the FI includes yet another test. Hmmm strange.

Anyone else did another test at FI stage as well?

rayair111
27th Jan 2010, 09:16
the one i did before my FI was the the psychmetric test , at a book with 187 questions , it all about your personnality , and a lot of situations in order to see how you deal with difficult cusomer and many other questions related to your proper personality
GOOD LUCK :ok:

sb1004
27th Jan 2010, 09:26
No, I did a psychometric test during my AD then I was asked to do another test at the end of my interview. It was more an abstract reasoning test, kinda like an IQ test I think?

vespaet3
27th Jan 2010, 11:24
I was worried about this too, when I first interviewed the year before last, as another girl was doing the test just before I went in for my interview and I wasn't asked to do it.

It turns out though that it doesn't matter either way. Sone people are asked to do it and some aren't, but both can get the golden call afterwards :)

I'm pretty sure I found info on this when I read back through the EK threads, but can't remember where exactly. You could use the search function to find it.

rayair111
27th Jan 2010, 15:26
Congratulations, i am happy for you , hope you will enjoy your flight to dubai and enjoy your training there , for me i'm still waiting for my golden call :ok:

She is kenyan
27th Jan 2010, 18:16
Am doing a countdown, 10hrs to the AD,. God! Am still so nervous and excited at the same time! I really need to pass this interview, i want it so badly.. Have to go to sleep now, hope my alarm goes off on time, dont wanna wake up and realize the AD was yesterday coz i overslept! God forbid.. I really need your prayers guys,. Will tell you how it goes tomorrow, hope i've have loads of good news! But before i sleep, skirt suit.. Check,. Blouse,. Check.. Stockings,. Check,. Shoes,. Check,. Hair,. Check, CV,. Check,. Notebook and pen,. MIA!,. Wet wipes,. MIA!. Hope i remember to buy tomorrow morning..

dream_to_fly
27th Jan 2010, 20:10
Hi guys

The OD in Kuala Lumpur (according to the emirates website) says 'walk in anytime'. I've attended OD's before in Australia and normally the first day they will do the induction on what Emirates. But what's this 'walk in anytime' process like?

jzmn59
28th Jan 2010, 05:09
At the risk of spoonfeeding you, here's what goes on when an OD involves a "screening" done by an external agency. Do a search and you'll find similar answers.

Open Day (full day 9am to 4pm walk-in,
pre-registration/invitation not required)

• Hand in CV + photos and do a reach test (reach 212cm on
tiptoes without shoes)
• Sit in a circle, group of 10 candidates
1) Facilitator will ask generic questions about company.
Do your homework.
2) Group discussion with 10 candidates
• Elimination
• Successful candidates will sit in for end-of-day briefing where they’ll explain job role and requirements, life in Dubai, what to expect for AD and FI, and give tips.

On that note, can someone please give me an opinion on whether this dress is okay for the AD? Pretty please????

http://image.coldwatercreek.com/Products/524x655/K00494_030_S.jpg

Zara03
28th Jan 2010, 05:32
Unfortunatley im not up to training i was wondering if it was possible to fail becasue i read somehwere you have to get atleat 90% question right.

cos_ek
28th Jan 2010, 07:28
hey guys ,
lets do our 8th feb joining group ...do you know who else has DOJ in the same time with us?
best regards
cosmin from romania:ok:

ctsal
28th Jan 2010, 07:33
Me too Cosmin! DOJ 8th feb.!:ok:

tiniviel
28th Jan 2010, 10:22
Yesterday I got visa and ticket to Dubai, Im leaving 2.2.

to MARI

my accomodation is SAHARA tower, sheik ZAyed road... how is this area and building?

bibos
28th Jan 2010, 10:24
COS EK i also know " Ana84 " & " fly25" , we are the only in this forum going on the 8th ,or no one mentioned being with us so far ! So there will be [ ana84 , fly25 , cos ek , ctsal , yulimaga , rox84 & me ]:}
ANY one got anything about the visa ,ticket or accomodation ?

rox84
28th Jan 2010, 12:28
me to on 8th feb.
regarding Accomodation"currently in progress & will be made available shortly"

michaelflynn61
28th Jan 2010, 13:02
Congratulations to everyone who has passed interviews, has their dates of joining and people who are just gone over to Dubai!! Good luck to everyone going to any of the upcoming OD or AD's!!

Just a quick question that I can't seem to find much on from searching. Perhaps anyone who is already crew or anyone who has done the medicals can help me!

How strict are they on hearing? I have some hearing loss in one of my ears, the other one is perfect. Does anyone know what levels hearing has to be at or any other information that may be able to help me!!

Thanks guys!

Hed0n
28th Jan 2010, 16:26
Hello and congratulations to everyone successful so far. My DOJ is on the 1th of March and I'm having troubles in viewing or downloading the Medical Forms. I would appreciate any help regarding this forms, otherwise see you there.
Good luck and good health to everyone!:ok:

bibos
28th Jan 2010, 17:36
We will be on the main fleet , all those going to be trained for the A380 got a message telling them they have been chosen for it .
my resignation still says in progress ,so i am still waiting :}
good luck

sb1004
28th Jan 2010, 18:13
Hi guys,

Just wondering how do I check my application status? I didn't apply online but went to a CV drop off instead. I received an email about an assessment day with a reference number on it, I assume that's my own personal reference number??

Cheers :)

fa_wannabe_20
28th Jan 2010, 21:40
yes, that is indeed your own ref # :)
good luck on your application. :)

chulz84
29th Jan 2010, 07:26
Hey Guys,
I recently applied online for Emirates and just noticed there are open days in Australia. Does anyone know if you are still allowed to attend an open day even if you already applied online?
Cheers and Thanks :)

ScrapyCoCo
29th Jan 2010, 08:07
hi all...
does anybody have an idea whether EK is hiring only females from Asian countries?
and why do they appoint an agency in some countries for Preliminary selection?
I find it unfair because most of these agencies are Flight attendant training school.And I've heard that they give preference to their students first....

yulimaga
29th Jan 2010, 08:44
Hi everybody!:}
Does anybody who is not from English-speaking country know what type of translations for our birth and educational certificates we supposed to have? Do we need to legalize them at the UAE consulate?
People who joined, What have you done with your certificates?

Mari
30th Jan 2010, 03:48
The answer is NO. (in my time)

If they ask for some kind of translation, you will do it at home. End of story. Don't worry about these things. They ALWAYS let you know, if they need something from you.

Mari
30th Jan 2010, 03:53
SAHARA is great!!! Do not worry at all! You'll be just fine! If not: you can move in the first year free of charge. If you have problems with the flatmate/s, you will find something better after the training. No worries.

Mari
30th Jan 2010, 04:00
Ignore it.

I've also seen a candidate before me doing the test again. You might have ticked too many middle answers.

It happened to a lot of people - I read it here, on pprune. You still have a good chance to get hired. Don't think about it any more. If your final went well, you should be fine.

If not: remember next time NOT to tick the middle answer more than 3-5 times in the test. Is it so bloody difficult?! (It was told before you filled up this stupid test!!!) And please, don't fall for the "killing items"! Search google: psychometric test.

Mari
30th Jan 2010, 04:03
Open days are open doors for you - no invitation is required. Go for it any time, it's walk-in. Take your cv and photos with you.

In case of success on the OD: ignore your invitation for the Assessment Day you registered for.

tiniviel
30th Jan 2010, 13:10
thank you for responce...so nice of you

to all

GOODLUCK and BE PATIENT!!!! :D

im joining company on tuesday night... wish me luck :))

yulimaga
30th Jan 2010, 14:20
Hi guys with the DOJ on the 8th of February!
Any news about ticket, visa, accomodation?
I've had nothing yet...
You?

bibos
30th Jan 2010, 15:33
Nothing yet its saturday in dubai and its the week end so offices are closed, we just have a new link on our portals with the accomodation but still in progress.
Expecting the news from tommorow :ok: (speaking about a group of us joining on the 8th):}

ruukun
30th Jan 2010, 20:56
heard from a friend who attended the sydney od yesterday that there were only about 90 attendees this time (it was easily 200+ in november, after such a long hiatus since jan 2009)

wildVV
31st Jan 2010, 04:57
If it is an open day then you don't need an invitation. Just go there with your CV and photographs.

wildVV
31st Jan 2010, 05:04
ScrapyCoco

I think they give more priority to females than males. You might be right ...they don't select much males from asian countries. They have certain percentage for both males and females. It sounds unfair but it is how it is. If you are tall and handsome that is an advantage eventhough you have no experience or talent. That is what I have noticed. But keep trying until you succeed.

missym
31st Jan 2010, 07:06
Congrats to everyone with their DOJs already and best of luck to those waiting patiently.

I didnt realise there was a Syd open day yesterday - cant believe I missed it! Was that advertised recently? I didnt see it on their website.

Any idea how often they recruit in Syd and when they might be back next? Trying to decide whether to fly to the Bris interview next month.

Thanks Missym x

rayair111
31st Jan 2010, 10:01
Hi everyone , i had my FI in Tunis on the 21st of January , we start with 126 cndidates and just 26 remained to the FI , i hope that EK will call all of us , or do you think how many they gonna call?:confused:

yulimaga
31st Jan 2010, 10:39
We were 142 in Milan in November and 28 got to the FI. I have the news from 5 people: three passed, two had the Sorry letter. Then one of the lucky ones didn't pass through the medical tests because of the miopy... I think about a half passes, maybe more! Good luck anyway!!! And be patient!!!

Mari
31st Jan 2010, 12:36
Yes: reading the pprune (thanks for the useful posts), I would say around half of the people (50-70%) pass the final interview.

rayair111
31st Jan 2010, 14:02
Many thanks yulimaga for what you wrote , but i felt a little bit stressed ,if they gonna choose only 5 or 6
Mari many thanks too, you gave me at least a new breath , hopefully EK will hire all the 26 , they are all lovely and we became a very good friends as a family member ,even EK will hire or not we are FRIENDS fro ever
Good luck for all of us

Mari
31st Jan 2010, 18:09
For ever is a very long time...

I'm surprised you got on well with all the candidates. I hope it's going to be the same with your ab-initio groupmates, although it's quite unlikely...

Oh, I just looked at your FI date: you have 3-6 weeks waiting ahead. Be positive and hope for the best! They won't call all 26 candidates on the same day/week.

GianKa
1st Feb 2010, 10:40
Guys go on emiratesgroupcareers.com
they posted new schedules for OD and AD for march and april, they' re going EVERYWHERE!!!!
good luck everyone :ok:
CIAO!!!

rayair111
1st Feb 2010, 10:59
Thanks a lot for your info , today 2 of my friends who attended the FI with me they received the golden call and they gave them choice of DOJ or the 15 March or the 05 April :ok:
we wait for the result so 24 persons left , the stress today started already hopefully we got it all My GOD :)

ScrapyCoCo1
1st Feb 2010, 15:34
hi, does anybody have an idea whether in cases where EK appoints an Agency for its preliminary selection.Does EK prefers those who are students of such agencies or do they give chance to other as well.In this case do they look at the online application? Since they ask you to register.
Thanks

jewean
2nd Feb 2010, 09:17
I'm from Thailand some of us here got e-mail that invited them to interview on 9 Feb but it not show on emiratescareers page to register or anything. it is also not show that it is open day or assenment day either. should i go? i'm not invited.

rayair111
2nd Feb 2010, 11:16
In thailand Bangkok its an AD you have to register before with the agency before applying with ek Thailand, BangkokRef No: CC/BB/1414420-Mar-2010 - 21-Mar-201009:00 am Register Now (http://www.pprune.org/GlobalAssesmentDays.aspx?AdvNo=B5888408FCD110D1) Remarks: Preliminary Selections will be done in conjunction with our appointed agency SASS Atlantic.

jewean
2nd Feb 2010, 13:34
but they got invited on 9 feb.

yulimaga
2nd Feb 2010, 15:12
Hi guys!
I've got the e-ticket and my visa. :D I'm travelling on the 9th of February, at night. So we're vvvveeeery fresh in the morning....:} but no problem!!! I'll manage it!
No accomodation for now...
Thanks Bibos, I checked the portal right before you wrote me... stange you don't have your visa yet...:ugh:
I'm becoming nervous!!! So many things to complete before the flight....:ooh:

bibos
2nd Feb 2010, 16:01
I don't know why but as long as i got the ticket then everything will be alright !
It's not only me ,some others didnt get the visa too ,so nothing to worry about maybe they are taking some time ( AS USUAL ) :}
Congrats yulimaga you were the very first person i met through this site and helped me to overcome some steps which seemed to be hard at the biggining and i REALY appreciate it .
i'll be in dubai on the 10th at 08:20 am.keep me updated about the accomodation.
Congrats again and Have fun till then:ok::ok::ok:

Zara03
3rd Feb 2010, 03:05
Do you believe once your a FA life will be lonely? do most FA become close friends with each other or does everyone just do there own thing? :)

trollydolly111
3rd Feb 2010, 09:13
finally..
got the email already guys!

FA_ala
3rd Feb 2010, 09:27
hi trollydolly111!

i'm from PI too.. you already received the golden e-mail from IPAMS? i'm still waiting for it..

QLisaQ
3rd Feb 2010, 09:27
thats good news trolly dolly :D ! when and where was your AD? I'm still waiting!!

trollydolly111
3rd Feb 2010, 09:32
its for assessment here in the PI, i could not believe..

it said

"Congratulations, You were able to pass the preliminary screening.

Your assessment with Emirates Airline is on February 13, 2010............................."

i called the agency already.. it is so hard to compete here, i hope i could make it till the FI. :D

***i re registered, i could not access my old account

trollydolly111
3rd Feb 2010, 09:34
yes fa ala, i got it late this noon.. are you waiting for your mail too?

FA_ala
3rd Feb 2010, 09:40
you are one lucky girl! :ok: i still have til saturday to wait for that e-mail.. have you heard from anyone who went to IPAMS on the screening if they already received one?

trollydolly111
3rd Feb 2010, 10:01
im not sure, i think they just started calling today. yes, im lucky and hope to make it til the fi. goodluck fa ala. i hope you get the mail too.

LuciR
3rd Feb 2010, 12:12
Hi all!

I am new to this forum, but would like to thank to all of you for this helpful information that you share here! Congratulations to all of you who already made it to Dubai and fingers crossed to them who are still expecting their golden call!

I have just registred for OD in Prague on 20th Feb...any chance that someone from here is going as well?? Would appreciate any examples of questions, which I can expect...

thanks much!

QLisaQ
3rd Feb 2010, 12:56
They might call your referees...but they have to ask for your permission first.

Swissy_chica
3rd Feb 2010, 13:56
Hi TrollyDolly,

Congratulations for moving onto the next screening stage with EK via IPAMS.
I'm planning to drop off my CV prior to the March 31st assessment in IPAMS Manila, and I'm a bit nervous (given the Filipino's fetish for chinitas and mestizas). Could you please tell me what the recruiters here look for initially? Were majority of the applicants fare or surpass the typical 'pinay' look?

Good luck on your application, and I hope to hear from you.

F.A.
3rd Feb 2010, 18:15
Hi everyone!
For those who are just going to attend any AD or OD:
Don't panic! You can not be prepared for every question....but you can always be yourself and you can always smile...if they like your appearance and your personality...your answer will not count that much.
Be keen, be positive and polite!
Good teamplayer, which means: do let the others tell their opinion, do not argue, don't talk too much, but don't be a fish either..
You will get what you want, if that's good for you and if it really suits you.

Now my question is:
(after my FI)
(and to those who finally got the golden call:D /or the sorry email:()
HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO SURVIVE THIS PERIOD TILL THEIR ANSWER????
Seriously: how did you do it? How could you wait for weeks and weeks? Like ages and ages.....
I can not sleep and can not think of anything else...And that is quite annoying...and it has been only 6 days since my FI.
Any idea?
And how much did you have to wait?

PS: good luck to everbody! I want to see you all in Dubai and very soon! :)

betheresoon
3rd Feb 2010, 19:45
Hi All
I want to know if anybody knows how long it takes to receive invitation letter after applying for AD. Secondly, my application status has changed to under review. Can somebody explain to me?

Thanks in Advance.

bibos
3rd Feb 2010, 23:24
Just live your life , time will pass ,i did the final interview on the 25th of november and got the call after 5 weeks, the first 3 weeks were just normal,but then after i started to notice many got their call ,things turned really hard ,that was just the beggining of the WAITING game, the hard work starts after you get the final call ,medicals and many paper work...then you have to wait again for the acceptance of the medicals and that will be the last thing to wait for..you just need some patience actuallay a lot of patience...:bored:
i spent most of my time on this website which really helped so much through all the process.
you should start expecting the call after 2 weeks,and you might also get it after 8 weeks depending on them, i have no idea about the way they use !! but what i know is that it's complicated.
i am flying to dubai after 6 days ,thanks god i made it through all the hard steps but after all it was really worth it.
All the best of luck for you :ok:

fa_wannabe_20
4th Feb 2010, 02:56
trollydolly!! i got mine too!!!!!!! just now! :) see you on the 13th!!!!

trollydolly111
4th Feb 2010, 03:02
i just dont know, coz im half chinese and half filipino..

shes chinky eyed too right? but "kayumanggi" just the same..

i think you should try applying. who knows right? sometimes people just get lucky!! goodluck! :)

SAekGN
4th Feb 2010, 06:37
Hi

I went for my FI on 30/01/2010 and it went okish although i am concerned abt my casual photos. in one of my photos i wore a nose ring but in the others i did not. will i be penalised for that? also, how many do you think they will take if 14 of us were selected for the FI?

eagerly anticipating a favourable response but with Christ who strenghthens me, i am remaining positive. the waiting however is not cool.

dream_to_fly
4th Feb 2010, 08:00
Hi SaEkgn!

Dont worry, have faith! Remember, you have the Christ's favour so have faith and think positive and you will get it! Just out of curiosity though, did you do both a psychometric and then a picture IQ test as well?

And another question, does anybody know what the process is like for a 'walk in' OD just like the one that's posted in Kuala Lumpur? Because I have attended OD's before where the first day is normally an induction day follow by a handover of your CV. I have made it to the FI before but unfortunately they turned me down.

Anyways, 3 of my friends are over at Dubai now and they said Emirates is heavily recruiting now because a lot of people left the job and more new planes have arrived. Therefore they need crews ASAP! So good luck to all of us who are attending OD/AD's and best wishes to those who are leaving for Dubai!

God bless!

:ok:

yulimaga
4th Feb 2010, 09:05
I've had the accomodation.... :ugh: :{ horrible place.... the worst....:{ just right to Sharjah.... :{
Al Qusais, Obaidulla building :{
There are only two positive acpects to the situation: the place is near to the airport and there is Al Mamzar beach park .... :rolleyes:
Are you all going to stay in Sheikh Saed Road?:{

priscillia06
4th Feb 2010, 09:30
congrats FA_wanabee_20

Reabetswe
4th Feb 2010, 09:31
I'm going for the first stages of interviews in Johannesburg South Africa on 07 Feb, I'm so so nervous :\- any advice??

rayair111
4th Feb 2010, 10:08
hi everyone , i've got the golden call this morning, DOJ on 05 April
im too happy, mys FI was in tunis on 21 january , hope a good luck for all of you , who are still waiting :D:D

Sydneybloggs
4th Feb 2010, 10:09
Hi all,

Congratulations those of you that have had your golden call, and also congrats to all of you that have made it to the FI and are waiting!

I have my AD on the 9th of feb and I just want a little advice, Is red lip gloss a good idea or not?? I just cant make my mind up weather to wear it or not. Any advice... do alot of people have red lips? Also I have a full fringe, I can just about pull it over to the side but could I have it down? I'm putting my hair up into a bun. One more question, I'm wearing pearl studs? Yes or No...??

Sorry silly questions I know but I just want to be what they are looking for.

Thank you in advance.xxxxx

LOUAYAY
4th Feb 2010, 12:00
After 2 weeks of waiting from my FI was in tunis in the 21 january i got this email that im not sucessful , i did evrything well but i don't know why ?
i heard that candidates who reach the FI can ask fo their feedback is that true ? and here is the regret email :
Further to your recent interview for the post of Cabin Crew with our organization, it is with considerable regret that I have to advise you that your application was unsuccessful on this occasion.

Should you still be interested in pursuing your interest with Emirates Airline, you can re-apply after a period of one year.

We would nevertheless like to thank you for attending the interview programme, and wish you every success with your future endeavours.

Yours sincerely,

Cabin Crew Recruitment

F.A.
4th Feb 2010, 12:43
Thanks for your answer.....yeah...i know you are right....the only problem is that me and patience are from two different planets.....but somehow i will survive....and keep trying to be positive and so on...

And well done! You did it!!!:D

bibos
4th Feb 2010, 12:45
another 2 got the same accomodation as yours, i don't know if it's a nice one or not but hopefullt it is. i got Al Fattan Building, Al Qusais II , we'r neighbors then ;), but i also cant know if mine is a good one or not :ugh:

F.A.
4th Feb 2010, 12:49
So sorry for you...but don't give up!
I've heard that many people had to try it twice....3 times....and now theye are in Dubai!
I don't think they would give you any feedback though....but it is worth trying.

As far as I know Etihad and Quatar are also recruiting! If you got to the FI that just shows, you have the good skills....don't give up!
:)

F.A.
4th Feb 2010, 13:05
Whatever looks pretty and makes you confident that should be ok..
(But make sure your skirt is long enough and things like that...)
No need for the red lips.. On our AD only 4 of us got through, 3 girls 1 guy and none of us had red lips...moreover if you are not used to it than it would even bother you...

But trust me, your personality will be much more important for them...
Many girls have been there with Pocahontas-appearance and had to leave (for certain reasons...)

Good luck!!!

LuciR
4th Feb 2010, 13:56
I have recently read very useful manual of business attire for OD/AD written by two current EK FA. It contains useful tips how to dress, how to do your hair, what kind of lip stick etc....

Try to google for Mel´s and Traytable´s Guide to the Business Attire. It´s really helpful.

Good luck to all of you!

Sydneybloggs
4th Feb 2010, 14:11
Hi guy's,

Thank you very much for your reply's. I'm just so nervous lol.
Thanks again.xxxx

Mari
4th Feb 2010, 15:09
About lonelyness.

As my collegaue told me on my last flight:
"You can feel fulfilled and empty at the same time when you do this job."

You become very lonely sometimes but you can be surrounded by people and friends the other time. If you have an outgoing, energetic personality, you will be just fine. The crew go out together usually. Sometimes it doesn't happen for some reason, sometimes it's great.

As I'm over 30 and flying for a long time, I don't have the energy and need to go out many times. I don't really want to see people on my 24-hour-layovers. I have a bath or shower, put on a mask, order room service, watch movies, sleep, go to the swimming pool and sauna. That's my usual ritual. (It's called rest.) On some layovers, I do "my things": shop for particular items. I go for massage and fascial treatment in Bangkok. If I'm not very tired, I go for dinner with the crew but no more clubing for me any more. It doesn't mean that everybody in your crew thinks the same: there will always be people who want to party and see new things.

In Dubai: I have a partner for 3 years and many friends, so I don't really get lonely.

You will be just fine, don't worry. Just be positive, don't listen to negative comments or complaints: oooh, I'm sooo tired, I had 110 hours this month. You know what: the next problem will be if you fly only 70 hours and your salary is not as big. Some people are never satisfied...

Mari
4th Feb 2010, 17:26
I was looking for something on pprune, so I went through 3 whole threads last week. I found some very good writings about ODs but I think this is the most detailed. Let me copy it here, it might help some people to prepare. (There will be ODs in Vien, Budapest, Belgrade and Prague in February. I'm sure there are excellent candidates in this region, too.)

EMIRATES OPEN DAY, BRATISLAVA, 2008

I attended an Open Day and I made it to the Final interview!!!!! I would like to share my experience with you because thanks to this great thread , I was prepared for it.

Fortunately there weren´t many people on that day so they made it assessment day. Some of them were dressed in jeans, sweaters or tshirts. These people didn´t get through the first stage.

Smile all the time and as you said: be yourself, speak with people there, make new friends and enjoy it as I did.

START: 9 a.m.

We had to fill in the forms about how did we find out about Emirates Open Day and some personal information.

It started at about half an hour later. We went inside and the recruiters: Christina from Greece and Alana from Australia. They started to present EK and Dubai and were asking Qs like:
When did EK start?
What other companies are there in Emirates?
New buildings and sport in Dubai?
Why do you want to be a CC?
Boys who knew all the info and were speaking all the time didn´t get through the first stage.

Then we were watching videos about EK and Dubai (watch emirates recruitment videos and ads on youtube) and after the video section we were asked to give them Qs. I asked them: After the three year contract, is it EK who arranges to extend your visa or should I apply for the new one? I´ve read on PPRuNe that it´s a good Q because it shows that you are planning to develop a career with them.There were some people who didn´t listen and asked the Qs which were already answered by recruiters or in the video. One girl asked if she could take her husband and child with her. Mistake again...

Then Alana asked who was under 21 and who had already attended an OD or FI with EK. Then we were asked to handle one by one our CVs and pictures. They didn´t ask anything at that stage.

1st GROUP DISCUSSION

We were given numbers and they divided us into 2 groups and we were asked to build a new airline and discuss the name, aircraft, etc. Some people were speaking one through another, trying to push their ideas through loudly (of course they didn´t pass this stage). I was trying to listen what they said, I made notes and I said one or two suggestions.Then Christina asked me (I don´t know why) to stand up and present our airline. Don´t look at the recruiters, look at your “colleagues“, speak clearly and loud enough. During this short presentation I also asked my group Qs: Am I right? Did I forget anything?

REACH TEST

We were asked to approach the wall one by one, take off our shoes and reach the poster on the wall on tiptoes (212cm). Alana asked me what was my current job and if I enjoyed it.

INDIVIDUAL PRESENTATION

In the circle we stood up again one by one and we had one minute to present our greatest achievement to the others (it was already my second presentation in front of them). I was speaking about my Master Degree and my scholarship abroad. Then we had a very short brake (after approximately three hours).

1st ELIMINATION

We went back inside and Alana gave us letters as we were leaving the room. I was successful and very happy because half of the people didn´t get through. There were some very nice girls who didn´t pass this stage.Some people traveled thousands of kilometres only to attend this day and they didn´t get through. I really don´t know what they are searching for...I think nobody knows.

ENGLISH TEST

It was pretty easy for me. Reading comprehension and an essay.
1. There was a story about one CC with 5 multiple choice questions (A-B-C-D).
2. Another task was to match the word from the text with its meaning. For example: reliable, considered, ticking off, take-it-or-leave-it: you could figure the meaning out from the context.
3. Then we had text signs and we had to match them with their interpretation. For example: Take 2 pills 3 times a day. A: You must take 3 pills a day, B: 4 pills, C: 6 pills.
4. We had also a cover letter. Aagain 5 multiple choice questions.
5. The last task was the essay. The topic was: If I could rule a country, which country would it be and what would I do? I wrote two pages. The whole test was one hour which was just enough.

2nd ELIMINATION

Only one girl didn´t get through the English test. Strange because she’s been living in England for years. One girl got to this stage although she had a tatoo on her ankle and she didn´t bring her CV. She was writing her resume there with a pen on her knees and she got so far!!! Unbelievable...

GROUP DISCUSSION

Again we were divided into 2 groups. I was in the first group (2nd group had a half an hour brake). We were seven in my group. We were given papers with the task and we had to read it loudly: You had an emergency landing somewhere in a remote area.Some of your passengers need medical care. Choose as a group 5 things you will necessarily need to survive. There were these things: defibrillator, oxygen bottle, mobile, water, food, unknown suitcase, blanket, axe, emergency torch, first aid kit. We chose mobile, first aid kit, water, oxygen bottle and blanket. We had to explain why. They asked Qs - one by one.

The boy who was against the others´ opinions didn´t get through. I tried to listen and when I didn´t agree I said: that´s a really good idea but don´t you think we could choose this because...

Then they called us one by one and asked how many languages we speak and if we have any distinction marks on our body-like tatoo or birthmark or scar. I was really worried at this stage because of my birthmark on my neck but Christina said it was ok.

After this stage we had finally little bit longer brake so I could go for a coffee.

3rd ELIMINATION

Six people had to go home. There were 11 of us who passed and we were said that it was the last elimination before FI so if from this stage we don´t get through, we can reapply only after one year. It was around 4 o´clock and I was already very tired.

PSYCHOMETRIC TEST

We got a golden package and invitation for the final interview. We could choose the day and time: the next two days. Mine was the next day.

We had to fill out some more documents. Questions like : Do you smoke? What religion do you belong to? Are you willing to serve alcohol? Can you swim?

Christina told us details about what to bring and how to dress for our Final Interview. And finally, the psychological test.

I must say this was the worst thing because I was so tired that I wasn´t able to concentrate myself. There were 180 questions. There were constantly the same questions but differently asked so I had to be careful to tell the truth. Sometimes I didn´t understand because my brain was burning so I just ticked: uncertain.

There were also logical questions in between but all of them multiple choice like: Clock is to time as tailor to A: scissors, B: cloth, C: tape measure.

This stage really made me sweat although they said there were no true or false answers. After this we could go home. It was 5 p.m. I exchanged phone numbers with the other candidates because I wanted to contact them while waiting for the “golden call“ and I went home to fill the documents they gave us.

They also asked us to bring many things like 2 photocopies of passport, photographs (1 full body, 6 passport and 2 casual), photocopies of certificates and letter of employment. It´s better if you prepare all this things in advance because as it was weekend. I couldn´t bring them with me so I had to send them to Dubai which extends my waiting.

FINAL INTERVIEW

Christina (Alana wasn´t there) called me inside 15 minutes later. The girl before me had to do the Raven test (which is something like IQ test). I didn´t have to do it, I don´t know why.

I was very nervous but when I came inside, Christina was so nice that I forgot about my worries. I had a nice time there, we were only speaking about my previous jobs. I was sitting in front of her behind the table, smiling all the time. She asked me to give her the documents, asked me about my previous jobs and gave me scenarios. She always wanted an example. I was thinking for a while, then I gave an example or I said: I don´t think I have ever been in that situation. We were also laughing, at the end she shook my hand, said thank you and I asked her some personal Qs. It lasted only for half an hour. The girl who had to do the raven test was there for one hour.

Some questions I can remember:
1. Have you ever had a deadline?
2. Give me an example of a situation when you had to be diplomatic to your customer.
3. When you had to say no to the customer
4. When your colleague dissapointed you
5. When you did anything extra for your customer, what was it
6. When you had a conflict with your boss/customer/colleague
7. When you made a mistake at work and how did you feel
8. When you didn´t agree with your colleague and did you say anything

Now I must wait 4 or 6 weeks until they let me know.

http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew-wannabes/328999-emirates-wannabes-recruitment-iv-30.html (http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew-wannabes/328999-emirates-wannabes-recruitment-iv-30.html)

SAekGN
4th Feb 2010, 17:29
do you know hw many will be hired if only 14 were selected to do the FI? also will i be penalised if i wore a nosering in one of my casual photos?.. i didnt have it on for all the other tho.:uhoh: hw much does appearance in the photos count for?

Mari
4th Feb 2010, 17:44
Of course I know: 5.

About your nose thing: no comment.

danny21
4th Feb 2010, 17:46
Hi All,

I just got word that there will be an AD in Trinidad on March 28th. I have been to an OD here before but at the time i was only 20yrs old so i didn't qualify to be interviewedhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gif (bummer). That is when i started to do my research and I have read these blogs and the EK website like books for more than a year (yeah i have been waiting that long http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif) and this is what i want so i will do what it takes to get it done. I know now that I am qualified to be a FA, but I do want any mistakes http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif. I have never been this passionate about anything else in my life. Can anyone help me with any information that will assist in my success.

I also need some answers to the following questions:

1. How many photos are enough to upload on the online registry and can i send candids?

2. Do you think sending a hard copy is helpful?

3. Will I be able to use a short hair style or can i do natural looking extensions?

4. How important is weight and height?

5. What is the structure of the AD and what does it include?

6. I have read to many post on dress code i am confused http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif is formal corperate ok or can i do casual corperate?

7. Can I use soft contact lenses?

8. What does the medical exams include and will i have to do bone density test?

Those are all that i can remember for now. Anything useful that you
have to offer will be great, I'm counting on you all and i know you won't let me down.

Thanks you guys

jeon-jay
4th Feb 2010, 23:40
hi guys!!!
is there anyone going for an open day on 27 feb...at los angles???

Zara03
4th Feb 2010, 23:58
THANX MARI! your answers are always so informative and really appriciate the time you took to answer my question :)

Beatac
5th Feb 2010, 00:42
Hi Guys,

I would like to get your thoughts on this;

I was invited to an OD in October, 2009 here in Sydney but could not go. I was overseas as my father passed away, I only just got back from finalising everything that I needed to do over in Poland. I resubmitted my application but my status keeps saying that it is 'under review' instead of 'applied'; I am concerned that I will no longer be considered for any upcoming positions.

Has anyone got any thoughts on what I should do??

Hi Missym,

Can you let me know if there is an OD in Brisbane this month? I got an invite to an AD in Oct last year but could not make it, so if there are and OD's in Australia I would be keen to go.

Many thanks!

jzmn59
5th Feb 2010, 04:00
@danny21
i can answer a few of your questions.
1. You need just 1 head shot and 1 full length in business attire as stated. don't think casual photos are appropriate at this point.
2. No
4. Technically you will need to have a healthy BMI (google it and check) but I guess if you look proportionate, that's most important.
5. Assessment Day
• Numbers will be assigned to candidates
• Presentation by 2 EK recruiters
Screening of 4 EK videos
Information on life in Dubai, salary, training (7 weeks), accommodation
Q&A

Round 1
• 1st Discussion: Sit in a circle, group of 10 to 15 candidates
Question is usually finding out something about and introducing your neighbour.
During discussion (10mins), individual 1 on 1 session
Reach Test, Short Q&A and appearance check
Presentation of answers, stand up one by one and address the rest.
• 2nd Discussion
• 1st Elimination

Round 2 - English Test (1hr)
MCQ (40pts) Passing mark: 32 (spend no more than 30 mins on this)
Comprehension (12pts)
Vocabulary (10pts)
Understanding Instructions (13pts)
Interpreting Information (5pts)
Essay 200 words (No marks, pass or fail only)
• 2nd Elimination

Round 3
• 3rd Discussion: Sit in a circle, group of 6 to 10 candidates
• Tattoo/Scars declaration form
• 3rd Elimination

Round 4
• 16PF Psychometric Test (187 questions – IQ, EQ, behavioural, personal, work, social issues)
• Validation of personal information
• Final Interview date/time

6. It's always better to be overdressed than under.

@Beatac
I think it's perfectly fine to show up at the next OD in SYD. You had a very valid reason (sorry to hear that btw) and OD is for everyone so don't worry.

missym
5th Feb 2010, 06:56
Hi,

Yes, there is a Brisbane OD this month. Ive pasted the details for you below. Im thinking of flying up from Sydney myself as I missed the one in Jan.

Australia, BrisbaneRef No: CC/BB/1396513-Feb-201009:00 amAviation Australia - Cabin Crew Centre
15 Boronia Road, Brisbane International Airport,
Queensland, 4009 Register Now (http://www.pprune.org/cabincrewopendays.aspx?AdvNo=D2DB7B21C8B79EC8)
Australia, Brisbane
Ref: CC/BB13965
13-FEB-2010
0900AM

AVIATION AUSTRALIA, CABIN CREW CENTRE,
15 BORONIA ROAD, BRISBANE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Good Luck!

Missym x

Beatac
5th Feb 2010, 07:46
Hi all! I answered my own question with regard to upcoming OD's in Oz and will attend the one in Perth on the 6th March so no need to answer that one. I do have another question though, there is a tab next to it that says 'Register'...do we need to register? I am assuming that as it is an 'open day' you can just turn up however is it better to register? I will be flying from Sydney, I assume I should book the trip for a few days as they may call back for interviews?

jzmn59
5th Feb 2010, 08:44
Technically you dont need to register for OD, it doesnt affect your chances at all. The only thing is, if you make it through to AD, they will ask you to register ASAP so they can get your candidate reference number.

I didnt register until I made it through OD.

:) Gd luck... my AD is in 2 days!!!

chatnoir
5th Feb 2010, 12:12
Hi Mari,

how could you know that if there are 15 people on FI they will hire only 5? We were 17 last time and I think there were more than 5 people really good for could be hired - they told us if we are good everybody, they would take all of us - from Beograde took 17 people the last time!!!
So I am only curious how you can be so sure, that is 1/3 from all canditades.
thanx.

Adela
5th Feb 2010, 12:20
Hey guys,

I have a question about CV.My only experiance with customer servise was while I was working in the restaurant, do you think that it counts? And can I apply for job even that I do not have previous experiace??

Thank you,
Adela.

Mari
5th Feb 2010, 12:37
It was a sarcastic answer - obviously - to the question which did not make sense. How would anyone know the answer?!

The number of people recruited depends on the demend (1) and the quality of the applicants (2).

chatnoir
5th Feb 2010, 12:52
:) So I hope they need many of the people now.
Thanx.

danny21
5th Feb 2010, 12:58
Thanks alot for the advise:ok:. I'll check it out.

danny21
5th Feb 2010, 13:02
Can anyone else assist with the other questions, and any other tips? I'll appreciate all the help i can get.

Adela
5th Feb 2010, 13:10
Hi guys,

I am going to OD 10th February in Prague and I do not know what to wear and how ro fix my hair, any ideas???

Thank you!!!!:)
Adela

Adela
5th Feb 2010, 13:35
Thank you! That is what I am looking for! :)

Madelie
5th Feb 2010, 14:13
What is exactly this tattoo/ scars declaration form? Do they check whether you have any tattoos/ scars during the Assessment Day, or just ask about it?

LuciR
5th Feb 2010, 15:01
Hi Adela,

I actually think that the OD in Prague is on 20th of Feb...I am planning to go as well. Check the EK website.

Good luck!

Mari
5th Feb 2010, 15:01
Of course they check during the AD: you cannot have tattoos which are visible when in uniform. How do they check? They simply look at you.

So, legs, arms, fingers, ankle, neck, face. (Eyebrow tatoo is fine if it looks good and natural. If it's ugly, you won't make it through the first stage, anyways.) Even a small star on your ankle or neck is a no-no.

It happened previously that tattoos were not discovered during AD, only during the training, so people were sent home. No second chance: you need to have it removed and go through the whole procedure again after 1 year if you really want this job.

Shoulders: OK. Back: OK. Toes: OK. On your ass: no problem.

Boys: tattoo on the legs shouldn't be a problem. I've seen some.
Girls: tattoo on the legs is a problem, even if you said that you would only wear trousers.

Scars: tiny scars are fine or scars which are not visible when in uniform. I think big scars, burns are the problem. (I'm so sorry about that!) If you have a big scar on your forehead, you can cover it with hair. Upper arm or upper body doesn't matter. If you fell as a child and you have scars on your knees: don't worry about them. (My both knees look horrible...) Small, "pretty" scars are fine.

Veins don't look good either. (I don't know the English term: those thick ones.) Spiders veins are not really visible when you are wearing stockings. Generally for girls: preferably you should have nice, slim legs.

If you are uncertain about any scars or tattoss you have, do NOT hesitate to ask the recruiters after the final interview. At the end of the FI they always ask if you have any questions: it's a good one, don't be afraid.

Mari
5th Feb 2010, 15:32
Dear Danny,

are you very busy? I guess you don't have time to read. All information about clothes, CVs, photos, the recruitment procedure was mentioned hundred times in the Emirates Wannabbe threads.

So far:

Problem solving skills: zero.
Listening skills: zero.
Working alone: zero.
Working in a team: not sure yet.

You are using polite phrases: it's great. (English is the official language in Trinidad, right?) Working in a team: what have YOU found out so far? How can you contribute to this thread? Do you expect others to do the job for you?!

First of all, you should be aware of the "required qualities of a cabin crew". Go through the Emirates homepage first (FAQ). It says it all. (Not all but you have a general idea about the ideal candidate they are looking for.)

You can prepare for the OD only by reading these EK threads. Most likely you will have ALL the answers to your possible questions.

THESE TOPICS CAME UP HUNDRED TIMES: ODs, What is OD and what is AD, Registration, Registration status, Boys and girls percantage, Business attire, CV, Essays, English test, Interview questions, "what they are looking for", Tattoo/height/age/weight, Accomodations, Waiting periods, rosters, taking child and husband, benefits, salary etc.

danny21
5th Feb 2010, 16:17
Hi Mari
I would like to believe you mean well, but i find your post a tad bit offensive there buddy:sad:. So to answer your questions my schedule dosen't allow for alot of online time. I was of the opinion that members of ths blog share information and we would want the best for everyone:confused:. Yes, English is my first language and I am aware of the requirement for this position, I have read the EK career page. Also I have compiled some information for a couple other sites including one of your recent postings to create some kind of guide to work with.

SebbyK
5th Feb 2010, 18:23
Hi all,

Thought i would let you all know how my day went today at the London Assessment Day. It was not an open day though and there were only 11 of us which we were all shocked by. There were 9 girls and 2 guys.

We watched some videos first and were told what to expect from Emirates, Dubai and so on. Then we had a group discussion where we had to come up with a movie, actors etc in 10 minutes and then present it. After that we were split up into 2 groups and took turns to do another discussion where it seemed that the aim of it was logical thinking. The scenario was that we worked for a hotel which was over booked, we had to eliminate 5 bookings out of 10 and explain why. I didn't really manage to speak in the first discussion but got my say in the second one. So don't worry if you find it harder in a larger group; but it is very important that you express yourself in the smaller discussion but at the same time listen to what everyone else has to say.

After that we had a break while the assessor came to the conclusion who to keep and eliminate. 4 girls were eliminated, 2 due to their inability to reach as far as they were meant to we believe.

We went for lunch, came back and had to fill out a form and then had a psychometric test which had about 10 verbal reasoning/maths questions.

Now we have to come back on monday for the interview. This was slightly different to other people's experiences so i thought i would share.

Seb

Ana84
5th Feb 2010, 18:40
Yes, 17, but from 50 people on FI.

chatnoir
5th Feb 2010, 19:04
Haaaa, so only 17 from 50 were fine :ok:Hope from us 17 everybody will be great! I am sure about it!

See you in Dubai :D:}

Beatac
5th Feb 2010, 20:37
Hi Mari,

I was hoping you could shed some light on the living situation in Dubai. I am wondering if coordinators take into account the age of the cohabitants and try and pair people that are similar (to a point). I'm in my 30's, as you mention we have different recreational ideas than perhaps a person in their 20's (no offence 20 somethings!) so I'm just wondering if those factors are taken into account? (Hope it's not a silly question or a covered topic...scared of being told off! I did read back though and I don't think so!! :))

Mari
5th Feb 2010, 20:43
Dear Danny,

I'm happy to hear that. (I didn't realize it, sorry.) Sadly, most of the people on pprune just "wanting, wanting" and "asking, asking".

Most of the successful applicants who were asking a lot on pprune don't even bother to write about their OD/AD and share their experience about Emirates later on. A post after 2-3 months flying (about: first impressions, training, rosters, accomodation, culture, crew) would be much appreciated by a lot of people. It might help to highlight the difficulties and challenges they might have to face after arrival. Why are there resignations during or right after the training? Some people are just not prepared for the job (or Dubai) and the circumstances - beside that the recruiters chose the wrong people.

Just an example. One of the senior crew members just told me - as a new gossip - that:"Imagine! The new G2's basic salary is 600 dollars! Horrible! They are going down with the salaries now! What else to come?!" The G2 must have been very unhappy with his first pay...

The information was absolutely misleading and incorrect. First of all: if you start in the middle of the month, they will only pay for that (e.g: 2 weeks). You receive 2000 dhs in advance. It's not a bonus, it's a loan: it will be deducted from your salary after training. (1000 dhs from the first, 1000 dhs from the second.) There is a 300 dhs deduction per month in the first year which you get back after completing the 3-year-contract.

Obviously, either the new G2 is not able to read a payslip or "the word of mouth" kicked in.

Anyways, I met a lot of disappointed and/or angry new-joiner as they expected something else. Usually something more glamorous and something not very different from home.

Tones of complaints about not having a Union: forget about the Middle-East then.

Complaints about being treated like a slave: long hours, night flights (yes, even 3 a.m departure), tight rosters, not enough rest. Has anyone seen a Qatar roster?! Worse... The customer is the first, you always come second. As I used to work in the hotel industry, I never had problem with the "serving" part. (You need to please the customers.)

Accepting feedback during and after training: very hard for some people. There is a critic every single day during training. It's just a game: go with it and try to correct the mistakes. And smile or cry - in worst case. Honestly, I'm too tired to argue and I personally don't have time for a 30-minute-debrief after my flight. (I could have won an Oscar for some of my performances... Believe me: I cannot use sarcasm on my flights. I learnt it the hard way. I give up so much from my personality, really. There are only a few people who are absolutely perfect for the job at Emirates.)

Best of the best: "I don't put on this jacket because the colour is horrible!"

Good luck with your Assessment! Maybe you don't need to prepare because you are one of the ideal candidates. Many of the people just go for an OD and get the job without any preparation. Although, being prepared helps to build confidence, so I would make some effort if I were you.

Mari
5th Feb 2010, 21:00
FLATMATES

Dear Beatac,

good point. They should.

Here is my experience: When I joined in 2006, we - with my batchmates - believed that they considered cultural background and age. I was very very lucky: my flatmate was an FG1, two years older than me and she was from Eastern-Europe as well. We never had any problems with each other!

I heard about other really good matches. We were also wondering if they used our psychometric tests to find the ideal flatmate for us.

However: they are recruiting like crazy now. I'm not sure they have the time and energy to consider these very important aspects. The other thing: how many flats and rooms they have available and where. If there is a new building opening, they might put most of the people there together.

I think there is a good chance that you will get an Australian or South-African (or any native English) flatmate but nothing is sure...

Unfortunately, there is no gurantee for a good flatmate. In worst case: you can move free of charge in your first year but YOU need to find a room and your new flatmate(s) has to sign the paper. You can move after your training.

Let's hope for a good building and a lovely flatmate!

- It was NOT a silly question! Am I that scary?! It's just a forum and I entertain myself sometimes... I know: I should rather go to the gym!

Beatac
5th Feb 2010, 21:37
Thank you Mari! Ha ha no you're not scary at all...was being sarcastic myself, I really enjoy your responces...they are always a good laugh!;)

jzmn59
5th Feb 2010, 21:57
For people who wonder why Mari comes off as "sarcastic" and maybe impatient, this is what I want to say. (For the record, I don't know Mari personally)

I always believe that if you want something bad enough, you will go all out to cover your base and ensure you stand the best chance of getting it. (Which is the reason why we are all here right? To share info and learn more about "cracking" the EK interview system) Trouble is, there are too many lazy freeloaders who enter day in and out asking the same standard questions over and over.

Things like OD/AD/FI procedures and interview questions are blatantly and frequently discussed not only in this forum (although I must say this is one of the best sources of info) but also widely in the WWW.

For myself, I've spent countless hours, ever since the day I decided to give EK a shot, over threads from various forums. And with PPrune, I sometimes spend 6 hours straight just reading back and taking notes. Call me obessesed but I have my own journal of notes that I've gathered from people's experience.
1) OD procedure, things required, photo standards, things to take note of, behaviour etc
2) AD procedure, types of questions they'd ask, typical pitfalls to avoid, dress code, english test, discussion topics, 16PF test (which i have done 4 times with different answers just to judge how consistent the test is)
3) FI questions they'd ask, prepare about 3 real-life scenarios to match possible questions etc
4) Basic EK and Dubai info: fleet, routes etc

I am not a CC with EK, but it's been 2 years since I've started taking an interest and I am giving this a shot at my AD this Sunday. I may not get to FI simply because I know so much and am so darn prepared, but this knowledge gives me an edge (or so I'd like to believe) because my fellow candidates have no idea what to expect but I do.

My point is, I am sure we are all here to share and learn from one another but if you have enough GENUINE desire to help yourself, you would have done all these background research on your own without having to rely on others. (Here I am talking about basic info which has been repeated to death. Of coz the insider info is fine, I do ask a lot of those questions myself.)

I would assume for a veteran like Mari – who has been active here since 2007 and who has probably seen countless of said freeloaders who just ask these surface questions without wanting to put in the "work", and those who disappear after relying on the help provided here, given by everyone, without "paying back" to the forum with updates on newbie CC life with EK – it is tough to resist sounding impatient or even a tad "sarcastic" as previously expressed by another member.

It is very natural to be annoyed by people who want something from others (being a CC job with EK and advice from fellow candidates) but refuse to put in just that little effort to help themselves to begin with.

I think if you are really keen on scoring a position with EK, or any job for that matter, the most basic trait is INITIATIVE.

Okay, I am sorry to be preaching but it's just my honest opinion about human behaviour. Ultimately my point is, if you want something bad enough, you'll know where and how to find your answers. Only you can help yourself. And a forum is only good when there is an EXCHANGE of information, not just certain people providing answers all the damn time.

PS: This post is not directed at any particular member by the way. And I would like to thanks everybody who have helped me so far, with my incessant tattoo and dress code questions. :) Also, good luck to everyone who's in the OD/AD/FI process. This is my current career goal and I really hope to be up there with you guys soon. Cheers.

harry the cod
6th Feb 2010, 05:57
jzmn59

Very good post.

Mari, please don't apologise. As jzmn59 quite succinctly put it,'.... if you want something bad enough, you will go all out...'.

Unfortunately what you see on some of these threads is what you also see at work. We have some great crew who make the effort to deliver the high standards that are expected of them, not just in service but in safety, attitude, and appearance. Then there are those that really couldn't give a toss. 5 months into the job and preparing to leave 'cause our pax are low life and demanding, babies cry, night flights, only 24 hours off downroute, yada yada. H E L L O ! what did you expect from the job? 7 hours reading hello magazine while your First class pax sleep, then 4 days in the sun while the Captain rubs the suntan cream in and pours you another chilled glass of DP. ( Mmm.......now there's a thought.....:ooh:

They don't sell you the crap in the videos. They sell you the dream. They make it look good and for many, it is. Some people just have an unrealistic view of the hard work they're about to undertake. Also, and this is becoming plainly obvious over the last few years now, we are becoming an asian airline. Many crew from Western Europe and Australia as well as North America are leaving and not being replaced at the same rate. Terms and conditions here, as well as pay, struggle to meet realistic targets set back home. For those coming from the poorer countries, this is their job for life. It feeds their families back home and they don't 'rock the boat' at work. Some of these crew will earn in one 24 Hr European nighstop, in meal allowances alone, what is the average monthly salary at home. That's why we call so many of the crew 'Delsi diners' or 'noodle nancys'. The only crew to go out are generally from the nationalities that are all leaving. Why go out with people you have little in common with and spend 20 quid on a nice meal and some drinks when that's Father's weekly pay.

Anyway, apart from the 120-150 hours you'll be working every month, 7 hour UK flights with 5 minutes for you to eat and some CCM's treat 'their' crew just like 'their' maid, you'll have a great time. Honestly! :\

Just don't expect them to tell you this at the open day........

Harry

Lucy.R
6th Feb 2010, 06:21
Fareeza

Can you read? It was written maybe 1000 times. If you are really interested in this position why you don't have a look on EK sites or don't read this forum properly??

Once again. For OD you need full length photo in business suit, passport photos and CV. You can also register on their website. Other documents as passport copies, diploma etc. they want before your FI.

I hope your next question won't be how OD/AD looks like? It was written hundered times as well. So make a time and read and take notes there is plenty helpful information.

Hope you will share your experience after your OD. Good luck there!!

harry the cod
6th Feb 2010, 07:18
Lucy R

You forgot to tell Fareeza to bring one of her parents along to guide her through the day! :rolleyes:

Harry

bibos
6th Feb 2010, 09:03
If you are already working there,and the job is that hard for you with all the negative things you mentioned , what prevents you from leaving ?
Just leave the job ! EASY

Swissy_chica
6th Feb 2010, 10:03
OMG i have chunky legs, well just the calf part but absolutely no spider veins or scars on my legs. should i still try out? :(

Mari
6th Feb 2010, 11:06
Swissy Chica,

you should ALWAYS try to follow your dreams whatever you read, whatever OTHER people think!

I have a female colleague who is always wearing trousers as she doesn't have really skinny legs. (It happens: what to do.) She was hired because she is absolutely lovely, full of energy, funny, nice, easy-going, helpful and hard-working. In addition: nice smile, pretty face. I adore her!

Put on very high-heels for the photo and the OD. (Like 8 cm if you have shoes like that.) It makes you look taller and slender. The impression counts, most of the girls are not perfect. (Some of them are dead beautiful, though... Especially Indians and Koreans.)

I have a big butt! My suit was quite good and I didn't remove my jacket during the OD because I was afraid I would look fat...

flying away
6th Feb 2010, 11:35
bibos (http://www.pprune.org/members/317031-bibos) can you tell me what happend in your assesment day in lebanon

and for all of you i can say that this is a great forum
you can find a lot of information about emirates here

for me i have another story with emirates and I don't think that any one will have it
well i will tell you about it one day (car je suis occupé mnt) so see you later good luck for all of you
if you want the job ........ go for it

Mari
6th Feb 2010, 11:55
It sounds very misterious... You got the Golden Call a year ago (January 2009). What happened since?! Tell us about it.

Did you go for the training? Were you sent home afterwards? (There were some bathes sent home after 1-2 weeks of training due to recruitment stop.) Have you been in the holding pool? Did you have to repeat your assessment later on? Are you with Emirates right now?

winner pilot
6th Feb 2010, 13:27
remember people think of you as you think of self; often times we display our self image by how we dress or express ourselves...rem love you...and feel great always.cheers

Lynn1988
6th Feb 2010, 14:36
Thank you for taking the time to post this, i found it very useful. i was at the OD in Dublin today there were easily over 100 people there so we just answered questions asked to the whole group by 2 lovely pleasant women representing EK.

We handed up our CVs one by one and had about a 1minute chat with one of the women as we did this. it took over an hour to get through everyone, then we watched videos and could ask questions.

we then were told we'd get calls in the next 2hours to tell us if we made it back to the screening day which will take place tomorrow. i made it to this, i got the call a while ago!! if your succesful tomorrow then the interviews are taking place mon and tues of next week so all happening very quickly!

Could anyone tell me at which stage do we need a ref letter from our surrent employer because i havnt told mine yet-of course and will we need it after the interview so a 4-6 week period?? and there is a chance we might not get a place?
my employer will be difficult about this i can tell, so im a little worried. but ill take things as they come. and good luck to those whole are attending the OD over the coming weeks!!
x

danny21
6th Feb 2010, 14:53
Hi Mari,
Thanks for understanding i didn't mean to sound like a begger(no hard feelings:)). I also believe that to whom much is given of him much will be required so you need not worry about me keeping in contact as long as time permits you will be able to share in my cheers or tears. i have wanted this for sooo long i don't want any mistakes if i am not successful it shouldn't be that i wasn't prepared.

harry the cod
6th Feb 2010, 15:26
bibos

If you havn't already applied for cabin crew position, save yourself some time & effort and go straight into management. That's just the sort of reply they love to give in this part of the World! You'll walk the interview. :hmm:

By the way, my post was a heads up for those about to or thinking of joining. I am merely pointing out to many who read and post on these forums what Emirates will not be telling you at the OD's. After almost 8 years here, our CC colleagues are definately working harder than they did a few years ago. No profit share and no pay rise. The only thing increasing is the amount of warnings issued to crew. Morale is low. Fact.

Whilst I do work for Emirates, you'll find me hidden away on the other side of the flight deck door. Our terms and conditions are very different.

Harry

bibos
6th Feb 2010, 16:43
It was quite the same as all the other mentioned AD's in the forum.
2 interviewers one was lebanese the other from egypt.
we started by MAKE SOME ON's DAY song , then they started to tell us about emirates and check how much do we know about it.

1- they separated us into 2 groups and each one of us had to introduce the one sitting next to him by few words.
we were called by our tag numbers to reach 212 cm and she asked each one a small question just maybe to know more about him and to take the first impression.
at this part half of us ddint make it .30 were removed and we were 62.so you better be confident at this part.

2-English test which is so easy . you should pass

3-group discussion : each group at a time , we were given something to discuss which was if we support taking the H1N1 vaccination. at this stage we should all come up with the same answer which is if we are or not with taking this vaccination. ( they want to check if you are a team player or not. and how do you act within groups.)
then half the number didnt also make it and those who were good went to the final interview. at the end 10 out of 62 went to the final.

4-psychometric test just to know more about you.

good luck :ok:

Mari
6th Feb 2010, 21:44
I just read Harry's posts. (Read back.)

Everything he wrote is true. I just didn't want to put it that way... It's a wannabee forum afterwards and I don't mean to ruin their dreams.

It's true that lots of cabin crew and pilots are leaving. (Or just run away without resignation or paying back their loans.)

Obviously, I won't be the one who's leaving as the situation is much worse in my country. I wouldn't find a job in my 30's with waitressing and cabin crew background. (Even though I have a college and a university degree and I speak two foreign languages fluently.) No, maybe I would find something and I could make 4 or even 500 euro a month but no, thank you.

This job is excellent for me! I love the flexibility and I don't want to work 9 to 5 (or rather 8 to 7!) ever. Hard work, night flights, not enough rest. Correct! But for me: I used to work 7 days a week in the US, in Germany or doing 12 days in a row at home. I think so many times that I'm so lucky! One more thing: so many people hate Dubai. Guess what: I love it! Especially now that the traffic is fine, the metro is great and I have lots of friends here.

Westerners leave big time: true. That's the reason for the Open days 2-3 times a month in London. Believe me, Harry, people from the UK want to join Emirates as NONE of the airlines in the UK is offering permanent contracts but ****y conditions. (Not even EasyJet this year!) They will come and they will stay for 1-2 years. There will be other (younger and enthusiastic) people to come! If the company doesn't care, I wouldn't care either. I'm just happy because my seniority is going up quickly and I will become purser sooner. Great news for me!!!

I know why so many of you (Westerners) are not satisfied. It's your fight, I'm not going for strike for sure as I cannot risk to lose my job. Conditions are worsened recently. Is it getting better at any other airline?! If there is a good company in Europe which offers direct entry purser position with a good package and permanent contract, I would be the first who applies, I promise. (Not much chance for an Eastern-European but I would still try.)

I'm sick of the people who complain non-stop. Face it: there will be more Asians and worse conditions. The glamour of the aviation industry is long gone. If you have a better offer, go for it! But for God's sake: Korean Air and Air China are offering quite good packages right now. Other than that who else?! I find it strange that the same pilots who complain about Asians, are willing to work for these companies.

Life is too short to be unhappy all the time. My beloved dad just died in October, my Mama 12 years ago, my sister gave birth after 7 months in December and lost her baby.

I'm just happy to be healthy and thankful to have a great job! It could be much worse...

bibos
6th Feb 2010, 22:02
first of all sorry for you mari .
i am not that much in a different condition , i used to work for 7 days in a row , each day with a different time , earning NOTHING i can live at till the middle of the months , despite being 22 and i still have many chances , i know i should never refuse any chance , and this one is considered a good one , depending on my sitution , it really is .
Through all my life i moved through many jobs since i was 18 , at my first job i earned 200$ a month , then i moved to another one with 400$ and the last one which i resigned from 2 weeks ago after being accepted by emirates , i earned 600$ . I believe i should take the ladder step after step.
Now going to join emirates , then ... who knows ?
The point is that every one will have his own CHANCES , so just go for the job that god sent for you and be sure God will be with you through another steps . just keep your FAITH

Zara03
7th Feb 2010, 05:55
To become a purser how long do you have to be employed by emirates? also what about becoming a recruitment officer? im not CC yet but definetly will be one day (i Hope). whats the highest level you can reach once you become a flight attendant?

Is anyone here attending the Brisbane OD on Saturday?

Mari
7th Feb 2010, 10:37
To become a purser: it takes for ever... I would say 6-8 years. You can be SFS (it's like a junior Purser) in 3-4 years.

To become a recruitment officer, you need to have a degree in HR or psychology. Experience is a plus. You can apply from any grades, you can be a recruiter after 2-3 years of flying easily. Salary is really bad though (less than an economy crew) and they travel non-stop. I met an Australian girl who was 24 when she bacame a recruiter. She was only G1 (business) when she applied and she had a fresh degree, no experience.

Requirements:
- A Degree or a Professional Diploma/Certificate or equivalent level in Human Resources, Training & Development, Management, Psychology, Sociology, or a similar qualification.
- Applicants should have a thorough knowledge of recruitment methodologies and assessment tools, and the ability to apply this knowledge and associated techniques as a competent interviewer.
- Experience in the area of Human Resources, preferably in the aviation industry, is desirable

betheresoon
7th Feb 2010, 10:57
I'm also a Ghanaian. I've applied for the AD but no invitation yet. But my status has changed to under review for a while. Hoping is a good sign :ok:. A friend also applied and after two days his status was changed to not shortlisted.

Thanks Mari and everybody in this forum for all the useful information.

lucy21
7th Feb 2010, 13:56
First of all I'm a 'Westerner' working as CC for Emirates. Back home I worked 60 hours per week and earnt a lot less than I do now and my roster for February is 95 hours.

The complaints from crew that Harry has mentioned are just a repetition of the negative comments I have heard from various current crew since I started flying. To those who have been here for some time it seems that life has now dealt them a short straw; I keep being informed that things were so much better in the 'good old days' however, we are in the present; the package that EK offers is highly attractive (yes even to a Westerner - I'm not sure what you think we get paid back home, regardless of that, the rent is high and we pay an extortionate amount of tax rendering anyone under the age of 30 unable to buy a home - ever!).

I love the flexibility the job offers, the travel opportunities and the package as a whole but most of all I took this job because I love working with people. To me the deal I get now is pretty damn good, regardless of what things used to be like and how many 'privileges' they've taken away - we're in a recession and business is business. I'm sure some people do come out here blinkered to the realities of the job and so they go home and I'm sure some of them are Westerners but please don't stereotype us all- I start every flight with a positive outlook, I wish the same could be said for every crew member (from all nationalities). As a new starter in this career the last thing you want to hear is other crew moaning all the time; as Mari said; "Life is too short to be unhappy all the time"

I'm happy to be on my feet for hours helping customers and doing my job in return for nice accommodation, a healthy salary and the lifestyle that Dubai offers. I couldn't get the same package back home and I chose to work for Emirates as they're one of the best companies - I wouldn't even consider working for one of the airlines at home so it had nothing to do with job opportunities - I have only ever applied to one airline once and that was EK.

If you're coming out here to work as CC please bear in mind that the job isn't a 'glamourous' trolley dolly lifestyle but life here IS what you make of it - whether you're happy and stay 10 years or go home after 10 months is all about attitude.

Lucy x

saha
7th Feb 2010, 14:36
thanks its nice to know that I have a wannabe from ghana like me.

How many days did it take for your application to turn from applied to under review? Already your friend had not shortlisted.

Am sorry for him but good luck to us. Am hoping to get a feedback soon cos mine is still applied.

Hope to here from you soon.

Mari
7th Feb 2010, 17:20
Dear Lucy,

thank you for your post! I remember that you are one the members who wrote after joining EK.

Congratulations to your successful exams! I know that a lot of crew failed the "new" First Aid exam (the yearly refreshment course). I'm sure you met some of them during your course. You must have studied hard.

You answered to one of my quesitions when my niece (21) applied for Emiratas. She didn't make it but imagine, she was accepted by Qatar and travelling to Doha next week. I'm very sorry that she will miss all the fun and parties we have in Dubai but she made her decision. That company is so much stricter (they don't even get liqueur licence) and Doha is so much more conservetive than Dubai. She won't have that kind of freedom in Doha what we have in Dubai.

I just heard (today) from a friend at Etihad that they will let go 300 crew and they didn't extend some contracts. (It's very easy to kick out people: you just have to find a reason.)

Again: I feel so lucky to work for Emirates! Although, I always save because you never know what happens tomorrow...

We might be in the same fleet (your hours are very high: A380?), your upgrade to business class should come in 12-16 months hopefully. I wish you all the best at Emirates!

Sheenab1983
7th Feb 2010, 21:05
I completed my assessment day in Galway way back when in 2008 just before Emirates stop recruiting. Passed my final interview but eventually after about 6 months they sent me an email to say they had stopped recruiting but would keep my details on file and get back to me.

Anyway, I thought that was it that i would never hear back but to my surprise i got an email about two weeks ago to say they would like to meet me in Galway on the 14th to assess my continued suitability for the role!

Anyone else in the same situation?

saha
8th Feb 2010, 09:47
My friend has a problem and hope someone can help. She lost her front tooth but has a replacement which can be removal and replaced.

If she gets to the final interview should she tell the recruiter about it because she is afraid that her teeth x rays will definately reveal it if she makes it.

Please help.

Swissy_chica
8th Feb 2010, 10:53
flying_adobo,
If you're from Manila, why go all the way to Bangkok for an OD? There's an OD in Manila and Cebu this month as well as next, unless you are based in Bangkok?
I think the reason why several countries are assigned pre-screening via an agency is the volume of applicants from such countries are generally larger.
If you do intend to go to an OD in Manila let me know, maybe we could meet there or go together. By the way, are you M/F?
Good luck.

RiverPlate
8th Feb 2010, 11:10
A friend of mine wanted me to ask about this:

He quit QR last year ( around September 2009 ) and wants to apply for EK but when he left Doha some other crew told them you have to wait one year between leaving one company and joining the other one? ( and now it has been like 4 and a half months ).

Does anyone know anything about this?

mr ramos
8th Feb 2010, 14:03
hI Guys i've managed to complete 75% of the emirates application form. Just have to upload photos now :). I'm planning on sending it off after tomorrow:hmm:, and i also heard that emirates has an open day/ event going on the 15th of Feb 2010 in London??? Hope i get asked to stay for the afternoon interview:ouch::-)

Mari
8th Feb 2010, 15:23
It has to be 12 months between the resignation date at Qatar and the Date of Joining at Emirates. Your friend can attend an OD 11 months after leaving Qatar Airways.

RiverPlate
8th Feb 2010, 15:39
Thanks for the reply Mari! im sure it's gonna be a bummer for him , but he also told me he tried to write to cabincrewrec.dubai and noone answered him.

Do you know why is there such law?

gela1009
8th Feb 2010, 15:45
hi im 135lbs and my height is 5'3 my bmi is 24 ideal weight.do you think ill have a chance in the open day?:confused:

QLisaQ
8th Feb 2010, 16:42
A minimum arm reach of 212 cms when standing on tip toes so that you can reach emergency equipment on all aircraft types....

your height should be fine.

goodluck for the open day...wear killer heals :)

gela1009
8th Feb 2010, 17:30
thanks!:) im kinda worried about my weight though:confused:

Mochila
8th Feb 2010, 18:15
Hello,

My husband completed his FI over 3 weeks ago and still has heard nothing from the company (i.e. no e-mail or call). They told him they would be contacting him within 3 weeks to let him know if he got the position. Is this typical and is there anything he can do to check his status? He tried calling a telephone number and no one picked up. I am just wondering if any of you all have had experience with this. How long over the specified time frame did you have to wait. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Mochila

ilana182
8th Feb 2010, 19:01
I just received an email for an open day in Brisbane, Australia. I just have one question, are Emirates CC based in Australia, or do you have to move to Dubai? It doesn't specify.

SebbyK
8th Feb 2010, 19:47
As Emirates Cabin Crew you are based in Dubai. They provide you with a flat! They conduct open days in 30 countries to make it easier for candidates.

On a different topic. I had my final interview today, went well. Was just competency questions and very relaxed. Now a 6 week wait to find out if Dubai like me and the Sheikh :hmm:

Anyone else from UK in same situation?

Seb

bibos
8th Feb 2010, 21:15
they usually take from 2-6 or maybe 8 weeks so you stil have time ,and that's also what they tell you in the interview ,so no need to panic it's all about time , they will tell him for both cases if he was accepted or not.

eugenee
9th Feb 2010, 04:11
hey i want to ask about the translation of all the education certificates. Where do i make the translation ? minister of education ?

Claire88
9th Feb 2010, 08:48
Hey Guys,

Good luck to all those still waiting to recieve the GOlden Call and well done to all that have recieved the call.

I got the Call on Sunday but missed it and have just got through to the lady and my DOJ is March 15th.... anyone else with this DOJ?!

Now just for meidcals!!

RiverPlate
9th Feb 2010, 11:51
How is this possible?

A girl who went with me to the Final Interview and got the deadful e-mail 6 weeks later (as most of us did in December) suddenly got the Golden Call today asking her for a DOJ!

Still don't understanding this...is it even possible? I already moved out of the country so I think in case i'd get lucky as well , they wouldnt be able to reach me anymore...

saha
9th Feb 2010, 11:53
thanks mari for all the support you give to us. I applied online and 5 days ago for the Ghana AD but still the status is applied. Can you tell me how long it takes to get an invite from EK.

Again the photos I uploaded, my suite was brown and strips and its pants. Will that be ok for me to be invited for the AD?

Please help me.

regards
saha

saha
9th Feb 2010, 12:29
Is there anyone who has been invited to attend the AD in Ghana? Please reply me I havent been invited yet. my status says applied.

regards

rab123
9th Feb 2010, 12:40
riverplate ! everything is possible ! so you never know ! ;)

Swissy_chica
9th Feb 2010, 13:17
gela,

Your BMI (23.9) is still within the normal weight category but nearing overweight, but you should be fine.
Below is the ideal BMI:

Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greaterGood luck, we're on the same boat.

Deesbz
9th Feb 2010, 14:19
to Mari
I would like to know if I have a chance to go to the final interview if the front teeth are not perfect. I mean that one tooth is on the other one. do I have to fix my teeth before going to the interview? it is possible to take the interview and only then to fix the problem if they considered my situation not appropriate for a cabin crew?

thank you in advance.

MissF&A
9th Feb 2010, 21:04
I am attending an Emirates Open Day in Australia and I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer?

I have a heavy fringe, and having looked at photographs of many female Emirates Cabin Crew, I have not found any that have a fringe and I am worried that I may be overlooked because of this. I am more than happy to pin it back, but would like some feedback anyway.
Also, must I wear a collared shirt or can I wear a conservative silk blouse? I would be wearing it with a knee length black skirt, and it is in no way suggestive, it covers everything except the majority of my arms.
Also are jackets required?

I would really appreciate the advice.

Sydneybloggs
10th Feb 2010, 08:53
Hi All,

I had my AD yesterday in London and I didnt get to the final interview, I'm so upset about this and cant wait 6 months to re-apply. Does ANYONE know how strict they are about waiting the whole 6 months? Should I re-apply today as there are another AD's in the UK very soon. I want this so badly!!

My AD went like this -

9.30am start, we went into a room and got our name tag's and numbers, we sat down facing the front of the room and there were two recrutiers Lucy and I cant remember the other lady's name. We watched videos on EK and Dubai for about an hour then had a 10min break.
When we were asked to go back into the room the chairs were split into two circles and we had to sid down in number order. We were asked to talk to the person on your right and find out if they were a celeb for a day who would they be and why. While we were doing this we were called one by one to do the reach test. Then we had to stand up and explain to your group who the person to your right was etc...
After this we had a group discussion, it was had as there were 22 people in one group and 23 in the other. In my group it was a total mess!!! Everyone were talking over one another, you could not get your point across. It was horrible, even if you put your hand up, no one would listen.
We had to come up with a new blockbuster film.
After this we had a 20 min break. We came back into the room and were asked to pick up a letter with your number on. This is the letter thet tell's you if you got through to the next round or not. I didnt :{

I'm so so upset, I just want another chance. I think it was the group discussion that let me down because I couldnt speak alot because I didnt want to look like I was talking over people!! It was such a mess!!

Can someone please give me advice on re-applying before the 6 months, I dont think I can wait that long.

Thank you and good luck everyone who had AD's coming up.xx

Al maha
10th Feb 2010, 14:10
Hi am new here this is my first post here,ths forum is very informative,am also goin for the open day in BKK in march 6th

Dreamcometrue1
10th Feb 2010, 15:03
Hi Lucy

I have a question. I know that the contract with Emirates is for 3 years. Do you know what happens if you resign before the 3 years? I guess that you have to pay for your own ticket right?

lucy21
10th Feb 2010, 15:44
Hi there,

If you leave before the full contract there may be a fee to pay however it's not for the ticket - they pay for you to get home when you leave. If you leave within the 1st year you stand to lose out the most, if you stay for the full 3 you stand to gain the most so if I'd suggest a stay of a year minimum would be ok but the full 3 would be most beneficial!

You get about 6500AED as a leaving payout after the full contract (21 days basic salary and the 4000AED retention fee you pay in your first year is returned in full). It's all in the contract info so if you get through etc, they send you the details and you can see whether it suits you - it's a fair package in my personal opinion.

Hope that helps! x

F.A.
10th Feb 2010, 15:46
Hey guys!
Guess what???
I got the GOLDEN CALL today!!!!!!!!!!:}
I still can't believe it!
My FI was on the 26th of January in London.
And my DOJ is the 12th of April. Just a few days after my birthday.....couldn't ask for any better present than this!

Good luck to all who's waiting and be patient....even if it's hard sometimes!

Anybody else coming on the 12th of april???

Lucy.R
10th Feb 2010, 16:11
Sydneybloggs
I'm sorry to hear that!! You must be soo upset. It's very uncomfortable when there is about 20 people in one group... its almost whole class. I will have my OD next week and can't imagine how will I get through this. I don't like talking over people as well and in such a big group must be really bad :ugh: :rolleyes: OMG. I let you know how far I got next week.
Unfortunately I don't know if it's possible to re-apply earlier before the 6 months. I think they have your records and if you came earlier they would send you home. Maybe Mari could know it better.
Anyway don't give it up and keep trying!:ok:

lucy21
10th Feb 2010, 16:31
Hey,

Sorry to hear you didn't get through - just a point you may want to consider; I think it was the quick chat while doing the reach test that got me through the first round and not the big group discussion as I said hardly anything in that bit as it was impossible like you say. It's easier in the next round as there's only 7 of you in a group so you can put your point of view across!

Not sure about the 6 months things I got through 1st time so maybe someone else on here can help you with that?!

Lucy x

adorably2902
10th Feb 2010, 17:39
Hello everybody! Firstabale I wanna thank you guys, because this thread is very useful! I've read all the posts couple of times maybe.
So recently I attended the Open Days in Nice,France. I went through all the stages, and I got to the FI. It was on 1st of February ( but for me it looks like an year lol). Now I am waiting the Golden Call or the negative email...I wanna say that it was my first application for the Emirates, and the advices here helped me a lot. I don't know what else to add...You will see during your AD or OD you will think that someone is perfect and they will take him or her for sure...But there is nothing sure :) And when they give you the letter after every stage, it would be very hard to open it, believe me. I was really exhausted, but its worth it.
Now I will answer a previous post by Miss F&A, dont worry about the fringe. I have one too, and still I got it to FI, maybe you should just cut it before the AD/OD. Good luck to everyone !

F.A.
10th Feb 2010, 20:03
Hi code01!
I know what you are going through....:) I was waiting for this call so badly.....I took my phone with me everywhere (I mean it).....I slept with it...and when it was silent for a while, I checked if it works at all....
Then i couldn't sleep for a few days...because i thought:
'what if a gave the wrong number to them?':ugh:
madness....

And guess what happened today? I left my mobile in my jacket -still don't know how .....and got a missed call...yea...from Emirates...:ugh:
BUT don't worry! They will leave a message on your voicemail! That's what they did.
And yes, you will see their number, and it starts with +97...You will recognise it as soon as you see it. Or at least I knew....

Good luck! :ok:

jazzyana
10th Feb 2010, 23:47
I will have my first OD on 20th of Feb in Belgrade and....you know how I feel :} but I have a small tattoo on my ankle (and my back and upper arm). Is that going to be a big problem?

Dessa
11th Feb 2010, 11:05
Heyyyy FA...I´m going 12h of april...I got the golden call around a month ago..heheh...I asked all this time cause my job that I have to resign. :hmm:

Well..keep in touch..and Congratulations!!! :D

Dessa

D-Rock
11th Feb 2010, 11:43
Hi everyone,

I wanna wonder how Emirates call the candidates that were put on hold due to economic climate last year. By e-mail or phone? And how many days before the Open Day? By the way, it it required to register the Open Day online again?

Can you please reply this question (especially the ones who were put on hold). Thanks.

mimi_fly
11th Feb 2010, 12:15
hi everyone, im new here.. i want to thank all of you in here, you have been a great help to me, i make it through the FI of emirates, yesterday.. i am now waiting for the golden call... i am so excited and nervous.. i want to pull the days and weeks so the waiting will be over.. pray for me guys..muah!

chatnoir
11th Feb 2010, 12:22
for open day you dont need nothing, no invitation, only go there and drop off CV. for AD yo need invitation which is received by email. if they hire you, only in this case yo received call - after interview.
good luck.

D-Rock
11th Feb 2010, 13:12
Thanks for your interest Chatnoir but I am one of those who had already a DOJ last year but we were put on hold due to cancellation of recruiting. As far as I know, we should only participate in FI since we have been alreay selected before. My questions were about those people. Thanks.

LOUAYAY
11th Feb 2010, 16:09
In my FI with emirates , the recruiters gave me many papers as guidelines to prepare and the last one was if incase unsucessful i can ask for my psychometric feedback , as i ahave the right to send them a mail letter asking them to send me the psychometric feedback
did someone had an idea about this kind of feedback ?
i sent them a letter yesterday to : EMIRATES GROUP PSYCHOLOGY
Emirates Airline
P.O Box 686
Dubai ,U.A.E

vespaet3
11th Feb 2010, 17:58
Hi there,

I applied back in 2008, went through the assessment day and final interview process and had the golden call 7 weeks later in Jan 09.
In about Feb I had an email to tell me my application would be out on hold (luckily I hadn't resigned from my job yet, although I know many people did).

In September 2009 I received an email from EK to "determine my continued interest" or something like that, so I wrote back and said I was interested.

I was invited by phone call to attend another final interview in November, and received my golden call in January again, nearly a year later to the day!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers
vespaet3

lucy21
11th Feb 2010, 17:59
I was put on hold last year and in November I received an email asking me to confirm I was still interested which I responded yes to, then they sent me an email inviting me to a second Final Interview, you don't do the assessment day/open day again. The outcome of that interview decides whether you get out here or not. As you've heard nothing yet and most the people who were put on hold are out here with me it may be worth calling/emailing the hr department as you should probably have heard by now - no need to reapply. Hope that helps!
Lucy x

honda199
12th Feb 2010, 19:36
please anybody help me with the assessment interview...do they really check your legs,do they ask you to take off your stockings...i have a small birth mark in my leg...i m too worried ...and nervous to attend the interview... its in india mumbai ...do anyone have any idea how the assessment day will be ...how many rounds and all ..i have recived an invitation from them today

Mari
12th Feb 2010, 23:02
Not perfect teeth? Little scar??? Small birthmark??? Red spots???

Guys, YOU NEED TO BE CONFIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no point to go with this attitude! Pull yourself together and try to do your BEST on the open day!!! Relax and try to think.

Can you fix you teeth today? No. Can you remove your scar? No. Can you fix your skin by Saturday? No. Can you lose 10 kgs this week? No.

Concentrate on other aspects you really can influance. Get a good CV, nice hair, nice makeup, nice clothes and show off your lovely personality.

Good luck!

Mochila
13th Feb 2010, 04:02
Hello Everyone,

My husband just received his golden call this Thursday! He will leave for his training in March. He's noticed that human resources can be hard to get in touch with and we have a few questions. So maybe someone here can help. I would like to relocate to Dubai with my husband and I am wondering what the company's policy is on this matter. Are married couples allowed to live in the staff accommodation? Is a live out allowance provided to married couples, and if so is there any kind of waiting period? Who can we talk to about these questions? I'd like to find a job in Dubai too, so the sooner I can figure this out, the better. I appreciate any advice in advance.

Kind Regards,
Mochila
:ok:

Zara03
13th Feb 2010, 04:57
Hey guys,

I went to the BNE OD today started at 9.00am and it was fairly straight forward. There was around 170 people there and the recruiters were really nice. We watched three videos and at the end we had the opportunity to ask them any questions. The last part was handing in our resumes and photos. They said they would give us a call in the afternoon and fortunately i got the call to attend the assessment day tomorw :) good luck to anyone whose attending the OD in there country and just be yourself/ confident.

Mari
13th Feb 2010, 06:42
Mochila,

your husband will get all the info after talking to HR in Dubai and/or going through the relevant Manuals on the portal.

Actually, if they already KNOW that he`s married, they should attach some extra information for him. Read the contract: there should be some details.

Company accomodation: NOT provided for married couples
(Although some EK apartments opened up a few months ago and they were advertised on the Crew Portal.)
Living-out allowance: provided for married crew (45,000 dhs a year)
Residence Visa for spouse: NOT provided by Emirates
Unlimited id90, flyzed tickets and one confirmed ticket for spouse and kids: after ONE year of service

I`m actually not sure if he can move out right after the training or only after the 6-month-probation. He needs to look it up.

About your residence visa: he could sponsor you, check the information on the government`s site. (It might be quite expensive but I`m not sure.)

If you find a job, your employer will sponsor you and arrange the residence visa for you.

I think you are eligible for one id90 and one id50 ticket in the first year as the wife. You can come and stay here on visit visa up to 3 months and look for a job. You can stay in his accomodation for a period of time (not sure how many days exactly).

vespaet3
13th Feb 2010, 19:34
Hi Mochilla,

I'm married and was offered the "live out" utilities allowance right away - if married you can choose crew accommodation or the utilities allowance that Mari mentioned right from training.

Cheers

rebentine
14th Feb 2010, 04:04
This is a good read for those with upcoming interviews

Fly High! The Secret to Airline Interviews (http://www.articlerich.com/Article/Fly-High--The-Secret-to-Airline-Interviews/675525)

Good Luck

Tinie

Mochila
14th Feb 2010, 04:19
Mari and Vespaet,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am feeling much better now. I was worried that I might have to be separated from my husband for several months. I really appreciate your responses.

Regards,

Mochila

vespaet3
14th Feb 2010, 04:45
Had final approval today!

Petronije
14th Feb 2010, 12:33
Hello boys and girls

I just wanted to know is somebody can help me.

I remember the last time when I was on assessment day for Emirates, there was one question in application forms which we needed to fill out and the question is “Are you willing to serve alcohol?’’
I didn’t know what correct answer to that question is, but I checked it with “YES”.

Now, I’m wandering if I made some kind of mistake by answering to that question with Yes since Dubai is a Muslim city and Emirates Airlines is a Muslim company.

thank you all,

Peter

chatnoir
14th Feb 2010, 12:48
hey peter dont worry of course you have to write YES because from the similar reason people less than 21 years cant be accepted - because emirates serve alcohol in their flights and you MUST to be willing to serve it. :)

adorably2902
14th Feb 2010, 16:09
Peter this question is only for muslim people, this is not a wrong answer. We were asked if we smoked - if you say yes, it doesn't mean they won't hire you, it means you will live with a smoker too. If you say no- you will live with a non-smoker. And the question about the special regime of food is for evegeterians or people who are alergic etc..So there are no wrong answers :) So it's better to tell the truth

nidi
14th Feb 2010, 17:06
Hi everyone,
I handed over my application to the company that screens applicants for EK here in Sri Lanka and I received an email that I was shortlisted, and to fill out the application on emirates website.
Also, they have asked us to come for a compulsory orientation this week in casual clothing. I've never read about emirates interviews in casual.. I'm confused. I had a suit ready for interviews. But what do I wear for a orientation. Do they mean smart casual? Should I wear dress or pants? Please help!
- Nidi G

honda199
15th Feb 2010, 03:12
even i got an invitation for assessment day in India mumbai ...but i am asked to wear knee length skirt ,skin color stockings .and a blazer with my hair tied back neatly and formal black shoes ...to attend my initial rounds ...i have no idea about casuals and its quiet suprising because emirates would never ask you to come in casuals for an interview ...i think you should explore emirates website ...there are lot of fraudulental activities happening aswell ,hope nothing like that happens with ...ALL THE BEST

honda199
15th Feb 2010, 03:15
THANK YOU ...i am confident about the communication part and all ...but my only concern is i have fallen marks in my knees and small pimples on my face ...may be like 5 or 6...are they like looking for perfect clear complexion without even a single mark ..and also how should you look ...descent or like too hep...how should your attire be ...loose or body fitting ...please help ...

Swissy_chica
15th Feb 2010, 04:16
Hi all,

For those with experience on EK, EY, or QR would it be wise to mention that I lived in the Middle East for 13 years, specifically Israel, so I have knowledge/experience with Middle Eastern culture and people from other countries as I lived and studied in an international school? If you guys are aware Israel and Arab states have always been in conflict..and those 13 years is a huge chunk of my life. How can I go about talking about my experiences there without recruiters becoming bias (especially if they are Arab)?

OD in Manila is nearing..any advice will be greatly appreciated!

shiny_aviators
15th Feb 2010, 08:12
Swissy_chica,

I would be careful with this experience in Israel, I mean I think it should not be a problem however the interviewers in a recent open day advised us that if we have a visa entry in our passport for Israel we will need to obtain a new passport.

You may get through the open day but behind close doors when your application is in dubai, they may decline your application....maybe?

tread carefully!!

nidi
15th Feb 2010, 08:29
Thanks for the reply. This is not a fraudulent place. Its stated on the emirates website that they will do the initial screening. For this however I don't think emirates recruiters are coming. It said it's a compulsory orientation and I'm to come in casual.. I guess smart casual would be a safe bet. Anyone with information about this, I'd really appreciate

Swissy_chica
15th Feb 2010, 10:47
Hi Shiny aviators,

Thanks for your post. Luckily I renewed my passport last year and the only recent visa/stamps are from Turkey. It is tricky indeed, omitting 13 years that is!
Do you currently work for EK?
There was a recent OD and AD here in Manila and some girls who were too confident didn't make it, and those who were playing it too cool (like barely speaking in order to give others a chance to speak) didn't as well.

Good luck to all!

chatnoir
15th Feb 2010, 11:20
Hello Guys,

Today I Cannot Accses My Account And There Is That: You Will Be Contacted By Your Recruitment Coordinator At The Earliest . .....

What Does It Mean???

angelink
15th Feb 2010, 12:09
This is the first time I write here,
MY DOJ is the 15th of march, i finished the medicals but they asked me for additional report for a surgery i had 13 years ago! I got a recent report shows it has no effects on me and there was no complications. but now they asked for a pathologists report also but the hospital doesnt keep the records for longer than 5 years!
did anyone go through the same? do you think i wont get the approval if i cant provide it?:ugh:

angelink
15th Feb 2010, 12:51
you are welcome. they called me 2 days after I couldnt log into the website. sometimes it takes few days more but dont worry now and get ready to do the medicals :D

honda199
15th Feb 2010, 13:32
YES YOU HAVE TO FILL UP AN ONLINE APPLICATION AND IF YOU ARE SHORTLISTED THEY WILL ASK YOU TO ATTEND THE INTERVIEW WHEN THEY ARE COMING TO YOUR COUNTRY ..THEY LL INFORM YOU VIA EMAIL...

Sri Lanka, ColomboRef No: CC/BB/1397020-Feb-2010 - 21-Feb-201009:00 am Register Now (https://ekgrpapplications.emirates.com/careersonlineapps/CC_OPENDAYS/GlobalAssesmentDays.aspx?AdvNo=59953465A3DDCEF2)Remarks: Preliminary Selections will be done in conjunction with our appointed agency Delship.
YOU HAVE TO REGISTER FAST ...DONT MISS IT ALL THE BEST

THERE ARE COMING TO YOUR COUNTRY ON 20 /21 FEB ...CHECK THEIR WEBSITE ...I THINK BY NOW YOU MUST HAVE GOT AN INVITE ..BECAUSE EVEN I HAVE MY INTERVIEW ON 20/21 FEB ...Preliminary Selections will be done in conjunction with our appointed agency Delship.....HEY CHECK THEIR WEBSITE TODAY ,DONT MISS THIS CHANCE ...ALL THE BEST :ok:

Mari
15th Feb 2010, 14:10
I agree with the others above: do not mention anything about Izrael.

Mochila
15th Feb 2010, 14:16
Greetings Everyone,

I'm sorry to be bombarding everyone with questions! My husband just received an e-mail instructing him to sign onto the portal to print out his employee contract. The only problem is they only gave him his username, the portion where the password should be was left blank. Is this some kind of fluke? Should he create his own password or use his application reference number?

He's had a hard time getting in touch with HR. Would it be better for him to contact the IT Department about this matter? He never applied online, so he doesn't have an account. Also, he didn't get a link to the portal but I'm assuming it's on the group careers page, the same place you go to track your application status? I'm sorry but we are very confused. Thanks for your help.

Mochila

pashke
15th Feb 2010, 15:55
Hey guys,I have some questions for you..
I was previously employed for QR, I resigned two months ago due to my personal reasons and return to my country.
I'm 20 yrs old and for 5 months I'll be 21 yrs old. May I visit OD or should I wait 21? I think it is advantage because I was pass all tests,medicalls..
I read somewhere on this forum that I can apply 6 months before my 21 birthday..
If someone has some informations,feel free and contact me :)
All the best adn congrats to all that have been passed test& medicalls

Mari
15th Feb 2010, 16:39
1. You must be 21 on Emirates open day.
2. You can be hired by Emirates 12 months after the resignation at Qatar. (If you don't want to wait that long: get a new passport without the Qatari visa and do not mention Qatar Airways in your CV.)

angelink
15th Feb 2010, 16:57
Mochila, there is no way to contact their IT department.
the best time to call them would be early in the morning, dont forget the time zones. they start at 7am dxb time till 3:30pm
yes its the same emirates group careers website. just create an account there and call to give them.
Good luck :ok:

pashke
15th Feb 2010, 17:30
Thanks Mari :)
I don't even get Qatari permanent visa,only stamp in my passport that I entered the country and exit stamp..
Maybe I should try to pass tests with Emirates I can wait until I get 21 and to sign contract with them..?

zvrky
15th Feb 2010, 17:59
Do we need to translate our school diploma and other certificates on english when we apply?

pashke
15th Feb 2010, 18:16
No,you don't have to translate your diplomas :) You just have to copy all your documents from high school,university..

Mari
15th Feb 2010, 23:28
Pashke,

you can try any OD you want.

What I know, I know it from pprune: read back. Applicants under 21 were sent home when they attended an open day.

About the Qatar-EK agreement: I asked one of my colleagues who is an ex-Qatar crew. He told me that you can go for an OD 11 months after resignation and you can get hired 12 months after. I have no idea how they check it.

Mochila
16th Feb 2010, 17:34
I have a question about the medical exam. Do any forms need to be printed from the portal, or are all the corresponding forms provided by doctors?

Regards,
Mochila

jordan51
16th Feb 2010, 18:52
Hi there, I was invited to the OD in Texas on the 13th but decided to go to the one in California on Feb 27th (so i guess no help there)...

It says in the email for both the CA and TX open days that "The Open Day will take up a larger part of the day, depending on the number of candidates. If you are successful at this stage, please note that you will be required to attend our selection process that is conducted over the course of the week."

Has anyone been to an OD in California before? Just wondering what to expect in the United States open days...
Should I plan on being in CA for a week then, as I am from Florida?!?...............IS ANYONE ELSE GOING!?!? :)

vespaet3
16th Feb 2010, 20:41
Yes, the paperwork has to be printed from the portal for medicals.

Mochila
16th Feb 2010, 21:52
The portal is not letting him pull up any of the documents to print out. I guess he should call HR again. Thanks for the info. This board is really helping us.

Mochila

F.A.
16th Feb 2010, 22:01
I had the same problem with the med.forms.
So I called them today and they've sent me the documents via email.
Good luck!

chatnoir
17th Feb 2010, 09:54
maybe I have a stupid question, but I am really impatient, I cannot acces my account and everybnody says thats mean they will contact me soon, BUT between which hours normally they call? because i know some people from nice they called already and me still nothing . . .:ugh: this waiting is very baaaaaaaad :{:{:{

mimi_fly
17th Feb 2010, 12:21
im waiting for a week now... it feels like a month.I am so excited and nervous about the results. I really want this job, like most of the people in this forum..im thinking of it every second of the day.. cant even focus on other things.. I hope we get our golden calls soon...goodluck to all that are waiting for the golden call....

Bab ylon
17th Feb 2010, 21:55
Hi!

I have a couple of questions and I hope some one would be able to answer them for me! :)

1. I'm 29 years old. Would I be too old for Emirates? I have worked as cabin crew before which I hope would be advantegous.

2. I used to be married but I have never changed my surname back to my maiden's name. Most of my employment and school certificates are in my maiden's name but my surname is different. Will that cause any trouble?

Thanks!

vespaet3
17th Feb 2010, 22:01
I had to wait a whole month for my golden call, after not being able to access my account, with that message coming up instead.
You probably won't have to wait as long as I did. Just be patient, I know it's hard.