PDA

View Full Version : Emirates - Wannabes & Recruitment V

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Montreal76
28th Nov 2008, 03:14
One would think the stress would end after the golden call ! Anyway as long as your sure about your good health the rest is just in your head lol (who am I kidding).

As for your interview Dress well , business with Tie and short hair no gel, smile as much as you can, listen and respect others when they give an opinion, and if you really want the job it will show and you will be OK.

Keep us Posted.

deon85
28th Nov 2008, 06:30
Well Brendan im sure your openday will be similar to the one we had in Sydney... You que up hand in your resume with your photo and basically leave. They tell you if you have been short listed they will contact you by 5pm. I got my call at 4:58!

Try and make interesting conversation with the girl when you hand in your resume. Say something funny & just be yourself.... I made a joke and it seemed to work! It basially turned out to be 3 days all up. Try and get the Wednesday for your one on one so you can get sorted and have all your paperwork done for it! As your group interview would take place on Sunday.

Stress comes after the "golden call".. you have mountains of paperwork and medicals that cost a fortune! But all worth it ;)

Hold in there ChinoA! I waited 4 for mine to come...

D

canadianboy23
30th Nov 2008, 03:19
I just read a lot of the blog and really interesting thoughts and information. It makes it a lot easier when people share and are helpful, as it has been so far on this forum.

I went to the final interview in Toronto, and it has been six weeks and no call. Some have received last week the golden call, and some the dreaded e-mail. I am waiting however, and it has been very testing.
Especially since I could join another airline, Qatar Airways, but I have been putting it off for Emirates, it is a huge risk and I would just like to hear from them. I think I have a great chance, but you never know how the person who makes the decision actually feels about 'your great chances'.

It has been a great experience though and I met some great people during the whole process.

Even if nothing works out, it is life, and one just has to move on...

Good night (and hope to get waken up by a call... ;) )

Montreal76
30th Nov 2008, 03:24
If it has been 6 weeks, I would email them ASAP, refer back to your final interview letter for their coordonates emails #s etc...

I had my call 2 weeks after Final Interviews in Montreal back in October.

Good Luck.

canadianboy23
30th Nov 2008, 03:49
Thank you Montreal76. I unfortunately misplaced that paper somewhere, which is really uncharacteristic of me and just happens when I need it.:(
Could you maybe msg me the info, I don't know how to use that yet. ;)

Also, I am wondering if it is possible to suggest a sooner date of joining than what they give yo, and would they consider it. I have my medicals anyways ready, and would be ready to leave asap. I let them know that as well in the selection process, and still no response. I am getting a bit impatient... which of course is part of the process.

Thanks again Montreal76.

Greetings from Toronto.

Montreal76
30th Nov 2008, 04:07
Your welcome ! Gosh I have to go dig in my room full of junk for that paper...You can change your DOJ however I did my medicals 3 weeks ago and sent them 2 weeks ago and still no news from them and I'm suppose to Join on Dec 12th.

made_in_ukraine
30th Nov 2008, 07:04
Had my final interview in Osaka today. The lady was very friendly and most questions she asked were about past experience in dealing with people, how I handled misunderstandings, authority, initiatives. She mentioned that because my file was complete (i.e., all photos and papers had been submitted), it may take up to 3 weeks to hear back from them. Now I know what I want for Xmas :-)

midoy10
30th Nov 2008, 11:09
i will be very short lol:

Assessment days in tunisia : :O

150 person come to this event and i know that it is by email interview but no rules:mad:
even me i dont receive any email to pass the assessment day it is so strange from ek and when i ask the 2 ladies they say is a problem of data in emirates website !!!!!
forget it we start by the presentation of emirates airlines bla bla :zzz:.......................
and we put all cv and full length and that is it .

at 5 pm we will get a call haha

they choose just 40!!!! divied to 4 groups
we start groups dicusion i made it but in the second i fault :confused:
they choose just 16 personnes it is so hard ladies and so strict :ooh: but they are hypocrite because they choose a girl after final interview and direct she will fly just in one weeks without waiting a golden call and the rest 15 waiting .......................:=
it is unlegal and any one from HR can explain that plus many people is so qualified for this job because many of us study in cabin crew university (IAC°) here in tunisia and we have our diploma .:yuk:

I just want an explication from emirates airlines:
_ why they dont send us an email to be in assessment days and we came by ourself without any invitation because in the ek website must by invitation .
_why they choose the girl to pass direct without any step (golden call medicals aprouve ,visa...)???

EK have no rules in open days !!!!!!! plus if any one have any words to say we are waiting for the explication :ugh:specially from HR departement or cabin crew staff:p
one advice seriously smile and smile :prespect all people around you :) and open to many senario in the interview process:ok:

good luck to every one and congratulations for the winners:D

Lia Kohl
30th Nov 2008, 12:08
Hi Made in Ukraine!
My final was on Friday and I'm sorry, but I didn't have time to write my friend before the secound round. Guess what? She failed :-(
Anyhow, I hope I can get the call from EK soon as well, or I will have to rent a mobile to use in HK whilst I'm there between December 18th to 23rd.

I hope Santa can bring this for us :-)

brlewis01
30th Nov 2008, 22:47
So with there only being one event left in the US I am wondering if it would be OK to just show up at the event, its not an open house. It looks like people have done it and I was wondering how it worked out. Did they know you were not invited? Did they care?

Montreal_girl21
30th Nov 2008, 23:40
Hey Canadian boy...If it can help you feel better, I'm exactly in the same position as you!! It's been exactly 6 weeks and 2 days since I attended my FI in Montreal (around the same date as Montreal76...Congrats by the way ;) )and still nothing!! So you're not alone! I was not as patient as you though, so I called them, and I spoke to someone from Emirates recruiting team, who told me she was gonna examine my file and give me news "soon"...and that was 10 days ago! So after 3 days and still not getting any phone call nor email, I sent them an email...and still nothing!! Here's the address by the way, in case you still haven't found that paper: [email protected] (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:parent.addSender%28)
You should send them an email, maybe you'll be more successful than I was in getting an answer!
I don't wanna sound pessimistic, but as far as I'm concerned, I just consider that I'm was not successful, because everyone else here got their positive answers less than 2 weeks after the FI, plus I read in this forum about someone who waited 8 weeks, and finally called them to have some news, and who was just told that "they forgot to tell him that he was not successful"...
The only thing that upsets me is that I didn't keep my options open, I stopped looking for a job abroad after I had the final interview, and I really wanted to go somewhere warm in january, to escape from the canadian cold! Now I just started applying again, but I just feel that I wasted 6 weeks for nothing!
Well anyways, good luck to the ones who are still waiting for their golden calls...trust me, I really know how it feels!

brendy_au
1st Dec 2008, 01:35
If you dont recieve the email and you really want the job then I guess there is no harm in going and see if you can get in! go for it!

Montreal76
1st Dec 2008, 03:33
Did you at least apply online ?

deon85
1st Dec 2008, 06:38
Apply online first,
it does help if you have an online ref# at the open day...
Most people at my interview had a online ref#
then again no one really knows... its so taboo!

Montreal76
1st Dec 2008, 14:35
I finally got an email from EK about my medical saying that EYE SECTION is not complete ! My generalist is not an eye doctor, so now I have to go see a professional GOSH lol at least I know that my file is being looked at lol Joining on Dec-12.

CarineA
2nd Dec 2008, 01:03
I am still waiting for my medical approval...hopefully all is ok!! :cool: I am looking forward to get final approval, flight info and all that!!!!!!!
later

Vix85
2nd Dec 2008, 11:30
hey everyone, I went to the open day in Galway at the weekend there and was lucky to make it through all of the rounds and had my final interview on Sunday so I just have to get a few things done and then sent off and im in for the long wait too!!! Good luck to everyone that's in the same position now, this forum has been super, it prepared me well for the weekend. Just have to be patient now and wait ahhhh! xx

Montreal76
2nd Dec 2008, 13:09
You sure got that right, It's a waiting game and test of patience....Good luck.

Dubai Bound
2nd Dec 2008, 22:34
IMPORTANT INFO......
Anyone that has inquired whether they care if you wait six months to go to another assessment they definitely do. Do not waste your time. A recruiter told me that several people have made it to the final interview in the past only to be turned down because Emirates saw that they did not wait the required six months. They keep a file on everyone that gives them a CV on open and global assessment days. They are very serious about this so hopefully i can save someone from major disappointment and wasting their time.

It's been two weeks since my final interview and i really can't wait for them to call. They teased me last week by calling to ask a random question. I saw it was a Emirates country code and got so excited. They wanted to know if i had any identifying marks or scars on my body in case of an accident. Such a random question. Did anyone else get the same call and if so did you get hired or still waiting to hear? I am very curious.

canadianboy23
2nd Dec 2008, 23:54
Dubai Bound -
Yes, I would assume that they would keep a file on everyone, otherwise they wouldn't have this policy of waiting six months.

About the random call... a girl from an open day got also a phone call asking her about dual citizenship, and that was it.

I waited six weeks to hear from them, so be patient.

Montreal76
3rd Dec 2008, 02:47
Not only that, you have to register online and you are automatically entered on their database that way !

10 days to go :)

CarineA
3rd Dec 2008, 04:33
Canadianboy23: You waited 6 weeks, wow it gives me so much hope because one of my good friends is waiting for the call and its been 6 weeks. Its like midnight right now and I wish I could call her NOW to tell her to stay positive! I am sure she'll get it, I cross my fingers!!!!!!!!:ok:

Two girls from Montreal leave tomorrow, they told them once they get to Dubai, they have a day off to rest before the induction starts. Someone will be there to meet them, but they don't know yet if they will be staying in a hotel or an appartment, such a suspense hahaha;)

Montreal76: one week left in the cold ::E :p

Congratulations canadianboy23 :D:D:D!!!!! I look forward to meet you.

barrett1987
3rd Dec 2008, 11:40
Hello,

I am going to the Melbourne open day on the 6th December, was wondering if anyone knew if Emirates were still heavily recruiting like they were 6months ago, with new planes and whatnot.

Will the open day just be a CV drop or will we do the group tasks, anyone know?

Tony.

flyoneday
3rd Dec 2008, 13:03
hey barret, yes EK are recruiting in volumes. they want to double their crew number in the next few years...the current number is 10,000... got this information from their website...
about the actual day,you may read many posts of what to expect but dont restrict yourself to only that...be prepared for watever...all the best and do keep us posted.
All the best...

~
flyoneday :ok:

Montreal76
3rd Dec 2008, 14:07
Heavily recruiting would be an understatement with the amount of planes in order, and just look at their future Open days, the machine just does not stop !

Good Luck and be yourself

dy1ng_to_fly
3rd Dec 2008, 22:01
barret1987 - I went to the melbourne open day 11/10/08 and will be going again this Saturday. I wrote a post on Oct 11 about what you can expect on the day :)

brendy_au
4th Dec 2008, 00:13
They already had one in October? Wow... I thought they only had them once a year? 2 more sleeps to go!!
I never thought I would be so excited! Good luck everyone!

barrett1987
4th Dec 2008, 03:00
Well, look out for me guys on Sat and say hi.

I'll be the young english guy, short hair, blue stripped tie and the one with the scared expression on his face!

Tony.

Montreal76
4th Dec 2008, 03:12
Keep you hair short and no gel no makeup for guys, keep your look clean and business, oh and your smile.

Good Luck

flylicious
4th Dec 2008, 08:32
Hi everyone,

I'm so happy that I found the forum. I've been read posts for hours!! You guys are so great and nice, I got a lot of helpful information. :ok: I'm going to the open day next year in Montreal. It's far from now but still, time goes fast.

I read lots of post but still would like to know how the open day process in Montreal. Any advice, information greatly appreciated. Please inform me. Thank lots everyone.:)

Best regards,

Flylicious

Montreal76
4th Dec 2008, 14:24
Finally came through now I can concentrate on the important stuff like what to pack lol I'm so happy....Good luck to the rest of you still waiting, it's worth waiting and stressing about lol...DOJ Dec-12-2008

flylicious welcome to the forum, you should read all the posts, it will give you a real big insight !

canadianboy23
4th Dec 2008, 23:20
Hello everybody,

Well I got the medical form a couple days ago, and it is a very comprehensive form, even the doctor and dentist were surprised. And it is quite expensive as well.
Does anyone know if most airlines make you do these tests. I know Qatar requires the physical and blood work, the chest x-ray, HIV, etc... but not dental and even orthomologist or something like that (not an optometrist but similar I guess)... The worst thing is, that these take some time to complete and could potentially be longer than two weeks (and Emirates wants everything back within two weeks)...

Montreal76
5th Dec 2008, 01:52
Most canadian airlines not to say all of them only require a drug test and eye and hearing test...I was previously hired by 2 and only had to do those !

Considering all that will be invested by EK on us I guess they want to make sure we are ok to avoid any problems , health wise, that might occur with the hostile conditions of being trapped in a can at 40000 feet. But mostly I think with all the applications and people who want to work for them, they can allow themselves to be demanding.

And Yes it costs a fortune to do all the medical required, but fortunately I have a private health insurance and will be refunded, it took me a whole day to have everything done and a week to wait for the results, if your joining date is not soon, you can always advise them that its taking more then 2 weeks.

Good Luck !

CarineA
5th Dec 2008, 03:01
Hey Canadian Boy23, as Montreal 76 said, it is demanding because they really want to make sure you are healthy because they will provide you with insurance, and yes it is quite expensive... my medicals costed me a couple hundred dollars, 500 to be more precise:uhoh:. The thing is it is much easier and faster if you go to an industrial clinic, the kind of clinic that does these tests for big companies, corporations (a lot in aviation, for truckers, for cruise ship employees, etc....) and when you go to these type of clinics they have all the equipment there and do everything in ONE day and then 2 or 3 days later you have all the results, they scan it for you to your e mail adress or Emirates if you ask them to. It is faster. My family doctor was thinking it was too complicated and he would have had to send me all over the city and it would have just been way too long... so I recommend for you to google industrial clinics in Toronto. Make calls, fax them the Appendix A and B, they will look at what you need and then get back at you with a price, it can vary...

As for the two weeks, I heard from Airboy (he has such a cool cabin crew blog :D) that they are flexible if you require more time.

so good luck with your medicals. it seems a lot:sad:, but you'll see it will be over soon! :):O

FLYLICIOUS: A new Montrealer, YAY haha I'll PM you, since we are from the same city, we can go for a coffee and give you infos on the interview process for the winter interviews from Ek you will attend. I really dont mind since I can totally understand how it feels to not know how the interviews will go and what to do, to wear, what to expect yadiyadiyada etc,,,,,I am leaving in less than a month however. Good luck!:ok:

flylicious
5th Dec 2008, 05:36
Thank lots CarineA, Montreal76.

Wow, you guys are going to Dubai soon, congrats :ok: :D; its hot there; no more snow, no more cold :)yeahhh :ok:

deon85
5th Dec 2008, 15:22
Good luck to everyone attending the Sydney/Melbourne open days on the 06/12/08...
let me know how you all go!!
hopefully see some of you in Dubai next year....

D

Brazilian_boy
6th Dec 2008, 01:20
Hi everyone!:)

I have received my golden call on monday 1st (december) and in the other day I had the email with all the instructions on how to get the medical exams done and other related subjects in my message box. They told me to do it until 11th!! Its more than a short time for me...I probably wont be able to give them the results in a short period of time as they required me to do so...anyway...its getting quite expensive for me! Anyone know If I could take the exams done in a cheaper place, and take the exams to be translated by a professional? and what about the time...can I take more than two weeks to give them the results?

Im going crazy! ; )ahahahaah:confused:

Thank you all!

Montreal76
6th Dec 2008, 01:27
At this point , it all comes down to how much you really want to work for Emirates !

bluefish_au
6th Dec 2008, 02:50
I went to the Open Day in Melbourne today. There were lots of people there- about 300 or so. We had an information session first up, and watched videos and asked questions. Then we all queued up and handed in our CVs. They will be calling the lucky successful ones this afternoon to go back tomorrow for group activities, and then we will be culled from there, and interviews will be conducted throughout the week. I felt so sorry for the two ladies there that had to handle all 300 of us on their own, it was really informative though.

Fingers crossed for me, hopefully I get called to go back tomorrow. Good luck to anyone else who might be there! :)

hard2fly
6th Dec 2008, 03:26
Hi Bluefish

I also attended the open day in Melbourne today. It’s hard to tell or to get a clue whether you will be called for the second stage or not.

Fingers crossed for me too!

bluefish_au
6th Dec 2008, 03:56
Hey hard2fly,

Let me know if you get a call!! I'll be writing on here if I do... I'm not the most patient person at the best of times, and this wait is doing my :mad: head in!!! :ugh:

dy1ng_to_fly
6th Dec 2008, 03:58
I was one of the MANY there in Melbourne too! 4pm and no call, so it's not looking good for me!
It was my second open day, so just keep going along ifyou don't get through this time!
Good luck!!

bluefish_au
6th Dec 2008, 04:00
I know!!! But they do have a lot of people to go through, I'm trying (somewhat unsuccessfully) to keep positive.... I was one of the ones right near the end too so if they are working through in order, I could be one of the last calls they make- who knows??

hard2fly
6th Dec 2008, 04:19
Yeah mate, that is fine. I’ll let you know when I get the call.

The recruiter said that she will call me today. I must be dreaming or I misunderstood her.:rolleyes:

hard2fly
6th Dec 2008, 04:54
No call so I’ll call it a day I guess. It's now 4:54PM

Well good luck to all who attended the open day today in Melbourne. :O

bluefish_au
6th Dec 2008, 04:59
It's 4:57 and no call yet.. I'm still hoping!! They have a lot of people to look at, I'm gonna wait even until about 7 or 8 before I call it... don't give up yet!! :ok:

barrett1987
6th Dec 2008, 05:34
I think next time i'm going to be a little bit forceful and get myself to thefront end of the queue's.

When i handed in my CV at melbourne today she barely even spoke to me, grunted, took the cv and photo and that was that. Guess she was tired.

But i am going to assume my chances would of improved if i was at the start maybe?

Tbh, who knows. Would of loved to have seen a criteria list...would be worth a laugh:P

Mistyfin
6th Dec 2008, 05:58
Nice to see so many other Melbourne people on here. We should all keep each other updated.

I went to the open day today too and thought things went pretty well but no call......... :rolleyes:

dy1ng_to_fly
6th Dec 2008, 06:12
no call for me either :(

bluefish_au
6th Dec 2008, 07:03
No call... Im giving up. I don't know what they want either. Good luck to everyone else.

hard2fly
6th Dec 2008, 09:03
I think those two recruiters are liars. :yuk:

There was an applicant who asked if there is an age limit, during question and answer time and the recruiter said there was no age limit :=and the recruiter added that people “can apply,” even if they are over 35yo….:=ahaha! How rude! :yuk:Those two bitches perhaps don’t know what they are talking about and they introduced themselves as a “Recruiter,” :}or perhaps they are just such a :mad:.

My friends (EK Cabin Crew) told me that there is an age limit, if you are applying for a Cabin Crew position for EK for the first time and if I am not mistaken, I think this information is also in this forum.

I attended one of the cabin crew interview before and I was talking to this gorgeous blond woman and her group of friends who used to work for Emirates. She said, she was treated like a dog:yuk:……… when she was working as a Cabin Crew for EK. She said, she couldn’t take it anymore, so she left. :D

That is why I don’t think it’s worth pursuing to work for EK. The salary is not really attractive, if you think about it.:=

This airlines is not the best airlines as far as I am concern and definitely not an employer of choice unless if you are really desperate. Go for it!:E

Montreal76
6th Dec 2008, 14:19
Pretty harsh words, as if any employer is perfect, but I'm baffled to as why you even applied knowing before hand what your friends went through working with EK !

Good luck in you future endeavors.

CarineA
6th Dec 2008, 15:31
I don't really why you insult the company so much since you went to the interviews, have taken the time to write in this forum about it a few times. I mean, if you really thought EK was this bad why woud you apply in the first place. :confused:I agree with Montreal76, your words are pretty harsh. Insulting the recruiters and stuff in the thread is not really appropriate. Imagine if you blast the company at this point, and insult it, if you are hired the first thing that you will do when something does not go your way is be to lack loyalty.

At the same time, I can understand you are upset if you waited and waited...and you felt they said things you did not agree with.

Anyways, There are plenty other airlines, good luck with your cabin crew job search if you wanna pursue a career in that field.

ciao

CarineA
6th Dec 2008, 15:35
When do you join? thats cool.

are you from Sao Paulo? I wish you good luck with the medical process. I think you can get it in portugese (the reports) as long as they are translated in English by professionnal translators or a doctor... but to be sure cal the cabin crew joiners line. I heard that they are flexible if it take more time than 2 weeks so dont worry, I mean, do it as fast as you can, but they will understand if its more than 11 days!! thats so soon!:ooh: you can do it :ok:

Montreal 76- 5 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhh lucky lucky lucky you!!! you gotta tell me everything once you get there lol

flyoneday
6th Dec 2008, 16:11
hard2fly, its actually going to be HARD FOR YOU TO FLY for any airline if that is your attitude...............

~
flyoneday:ok:

helfsich
7th Dec 2008, 10:02
Just a bit of background for you guys - I currently work for EK, originally from Perth, have done so for 3 years and have just re-signed my contract for another 3, so some of the stuff written here about the recruitment process isn't neccessarily relevant now, it is pure opinion, I don't know anyone in recruitment or know what sort of guidelines they have, I just want to merely clear some things up, and also throw my opinion into the forum.

Regarding the age limit, the only age limit mentioned regarding cabin crew is that you have to be over 21 years of age. This is preferable on the open days, however if you have your 21st birthday coming up in a month or so then they won't reject you for that reason alone, a friend of mine graduated from college on his 21st birthday. There is no maximum age limit I can think of. I personally know someone who was an abinitio at 32 years, but I admit I don't know anyone who was an abinitio over 35 years of age. To be honest if you have a 'special skill' that crewing badly needs and you're over this limit I don't see why you should be rejected due to age. From the top of my head, such special skills would be a language speaker (Italian, Greek, German, Portugese, Mandarin and Cantonese speakers are in high demand), someone who's a registered nurse, someone with fire fighting experience, someone formerly with the police force, former flyer with cabin management experience etc.

Admittedly a lot of people come to Dubai and find that is isn't what they think it is. They come here, party all the time, call sick for a Jeddah, Bombay, Lagos, Shanghai, and wonder why they get called into the office, wonder why their rosters aren't as good as their batchmates, wonder why they haven't been upgraded to Business Class yet. Spend their money at all the malls and nightclubs and wonder why they've been here for a year or two and haven't been able to save anything despite not paying rent or utility bills or taxi cabs to and from work. They're on the phone to their boyfriend/girlfriend 2-3 times a week, who's complaining that they never see them, and yet these same crew never bid for flights because 'I never get what I want anyway'.

This job requires a HUGE lifestyle change. I cannot stress that enough. And whilst many people know that, are told that by friends in the industry or read it here on pprune, many do not know how different this is until they start this job. Not to mention the huge culture shock of moving to an Arabic country, which may look western in those ads on TV or on travel shows, but is still very much clinging onto it's Muslim traditions. For some reason the Aussie crew, despite being one of the most dominant nationalities, tend to have one of the highest turnover rates. Many of them take on this job, use it purely to see different countries, and leave. Then talk about EK as treating them 'like a dog', as hard2fly puts it.

The salary is on the careers website in black and white. And the first two months are rough until the flying pay kicks in. But there are other airlines in the region - Etihad, Qatar, Gulf Air etc. where crew are in a similar position. I did my fair share of shopping around and found EK to offer the best all-round package. Of course it's not the best airline, but try getting into an airline back home - How often do they recruit? What qualifications do they need? How long will you have to slug it out in domestic or regional flying before you even are considered for international routes. And even then, how long will it take before you can get promoted? How long until you become Purser?

The job I had before EK actually paid me more money than my net salary whilst in Economy. But unlike back home I could save a LOT more here. And this month I'm going to Japan, Britain, Italy, Germany, and Hong Kong. What other job pays you to fly and sightsee where others go for holidays and meetings? It is all up to the inividual, and what you make of this job, this opportunity.

hard2fly - it really is a shame you feel this way after the recruitment days, and if you feel this job is not worth pursuing then that's fine. I can only hope that the rest of people here think otherwise, and that I can expect to work onboard in the future with others who clearly aren't as put off as you are.

*Apologies for the long-winded post*

deon85
7th Dec 2008, 11:11
thanks for the post helfsich...
You touched on some interesting subjects! And the points you made about staff calling in sick and getting crap routes or a "please explain" happens here at QF aswell....Its what you make of the job, its up to yourself to make it as fun and interested or as lame as possible..

Can't wait till next month....However this mountain of forms i have to send off seems endless!

A mate of mine went to the open day here in sydney and unfortunately did not get a call. Did anyone here go to the recent open days in sydney/melbs and made it through?

Chino any news???

deon

bluefish_au
7th Dec 2008, 11:23
Hey Helfsich,

Thanks for writing all of that on here. I was one of the ones who went on Saturday and didn't get a call, as you can probably see by my posts on here. I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't extremely disappointed- just ask my boyfriend and friends who have put up with a very weepy me for the last day or so. I agree with a lot of what you have written, which is why I guess I am a little more disappointed and confused with why I didn't get through, because I love the job and honestly think I'm the right person for it. Sorry if that sounds conceited. :uhoh:

I'm currently working as cabin crew here in Australia, about to be promoted to cabin manager, but want the experience of living overseas again. I grew up overseas, living as an expat in two different countries in South-East Asia, and they were both Muslim countries. Yes I do understand that the Middle East is very different to Asia, however a lot of the ways of life that are similar are those that relate to living in a Muslim society, and having experienced those from childhood I do know what I am in for. And I think that's what frustrated me the most, was that I am obviously experienced and reasonably good at the job, and have a cultural background that knows what- a. living overseas is like for a start, and b. living in a Muslim society is like.

What I take away from the day is having better photos for a start- I'm going to get professional ones done for when I go again next time, and as both the ladies there said it takes most cabin crew 3 to 4 times to be accepted after attending open days. (It was my first one.) And I also think that maybe I should put a bit of my cultural background on my CV so that they can see where I have come from. I think it's important too, to not bag out an employer on here- I know for a fact that the company I currently work for checks these forums ALL the time for people on here bagging out the company or leaking confidential information and stuff like that. As someone said in a previous post, how can you even have a crappy attitude about a job you don't even have yet?

If you are truly committed to being employed by EK and believe that what they are offering is right for you, then you won't give up. And an open day is not a great guide as to why you don't get selected, it's very hard for those selectors to pick the right people out of 300 faces they see on the day- you'll get some great people, but there will obviously be some great people that get missed too, and not giving up is an indication of how committed to the cause you really are. Good luck to everyone that is in the process of doing medicals and stuff, and to those of us that didn't get selected, keep trying and if it's meant to be, its meant to be.

Sorry for the long post too, had been thinking about writing a lot of this stuff and guess that last post gave me the guts to! :)

canadianboy23
7th Dec 2008, 13:03
Thanks Helfsich,
Such a great post and very informative, and fantastic to hear from someone who has been there three years and still working there.
I think everyone who gets the job is really sure it will be a smooth ride and a lot of fun, and flying everywhere, and that would be all that requires. But I can imagine how tired after a few flights back-to-back one is, be disappointed by actually having to work, and earn their money.

'The grass is always greener on the other side', so it is important not to over-idealize, or to idealize at all if possible.

made_in_ukraine
7th Dec 2008, 15:14
helfsich, thank you for such an insightful post!

Disclaimer: These are not company-based policies but purely my conjecturing using common sense and what is left of my knowledge of psychology.

The only thing I can add is what I have experienced during the assessment day in Japan. More than 150 candidates came to the preliminary assessment – everyone looked smart, smiled and had all the required documents, all hoping to make it to the second stage. And yet less than a third of them were selected to the second round. While I do not think that Emirates have, at this point of the selection process, a certain list of "tick-off" criteria, I think that the only principle they may utilize when having to deal with such a large number of homogeneous people (all look cute, all with docs, all friendly and nice) is their first impressionof a candidate. Admittedly, Osaka screening had had half the number of people of what you, guys, in Australia had; however, time-wise, the recruiters had as much (or rather little) time to preselect the lucky ones in Japan as anywhere they hold assessment days.

Come to think this way - if you have a choice of 10 products and you can only pick 3, most likely your decision will be based on what appeals better to you at first glance. I suppose, at this stage, recruiters just scan through the CVs (having 2 minutes at most per an applicant) looking for something eye-catchy (e.g., person A speaks 4 languages; person B has 5 years of customer service experience, person C has MA in Hospitality). If there is nothing in your CV that has a potential to impress at first glance, then chances of being remembered (and, and therefore, wanted) are slim (consider person D speaking 1 language, person E having a 2-month experience, and person F just having high-school diploma). Now, this does not mean that persons D, E, and F are not qualified for this job or are less smart. But rather that in the pool of 10 people, persons A, B, and C have more chances to stand out. And in absolute fair terms, if people in past worked harder to have these advantages, it is fair enough if they derive benefit now over others who invested less time/energy into what they have on their CVS.

In such cases of having a simple CV, trying in station where there is not such a large number of applicants may be more fruitful (needless to say, more costly, but then if you do not want to pay for traveling to such places, try to change CV in such a way that you are not just "one of the many" but "one of the few.")

Also, trying to be TOO friendly is something that may cause a reverse impact. I have seen many people trying to impress with their killing smile, and oh boy, did they kill... When one has to see 300 smiles, it is pretty easy to "decipher" those who are fake.

These would be my 2 cents coming from studying psychology for half a year :-)

kenyan85
7th Dec 2008, 15:46
Hi guys, it's really sad that the guy who got disappointed by not being picked took it badly...what utter immaturity. Life is all about attitude and that kind of attitude will take you nowhere. I on the other hand gracefully accepted it when they sent me the rejection email, cried for a couple of days and sent them an appreciation email for having had the chance to be considered (I made it to the final interview but I got the rejection email) On the bright side, this has given me time to finish my Bachelor of Education degree and hopefully graduate by end of next year. They told me to try again in one year's time of which I will. Everything happens for a reason , there are no coincidences in life. In the meantime, I'm trying my chances over at Etihad. Cheers x

CarineA
7th Dec 2008, 23:33
Thank you for the post. What you said is very interesting. I liked reading it!I believe in everything we do we have to make the best out of it and when things does not go our way we have to see the bright side of things! When I join EK in a few weeks, I am sure I will rembember some of the things you said! :) thanks again for writting those lines!
:)

dy1ng_to_fly
8th Dec 2008, 05:16
I think that the two recruiters in Melbourne did a fantastic job, especially as they'd flown in the previous afternoon from Dubai!

It was my second Melbourne open day, and although it seems that there will always be about 200 people there, I am learning more & getting more confident each time I go!

Now just have to wait another three months until the next time they're here!

barrett1987
8th Dec 2008, 18:22
Is it 3months then? I thoguht 6.

I was at the melbourne one, rejected too :P

Tbh, the guy who lost his rag a page back and ranted about EK....don't judge him. He's hurting and just venting, don't attack the guy. The process at EK is harsh. You go there, sit through a couple of hours of crap and then get rejected.

Not knowing why is the hardest part. Leaves you with nothing to work on. Current cabin crew? Doesnt matter. Speak 6 languages? Doesn't matter. Nurse? Doesn't matter. Single and ready to go? Doesn't matter. Able to leave right now? Experienced traveller? Doesn't matter.

So what does? That first impression? ....ouch.

The list above with the doesn't matters is harsh, but i went down the pub with a bunch, none of us got the call and between us had the above. There was a nurse, there was ex and current cabin crew. One girl could speak 6 languages. None got the call.

So, don't be too harsh to the ranter, i know where he is comming from and with time he will have calmed down. Empathy folks. People take things differantly.

Tony.

(oh, the one girl who i know got the call, was showing up on the spur on the momment, she didn't have business attire on and has no real intention of taking on the job beyond the first year....Now thats funny)

CrewA380
8th Dec 2008, 20:35
Well, I agree with Barrett ! Let's make it clear...let's be honest - Ek doesn't have any...pure criterias. Most of the time they get people who are not suitable for this job.... and there's too many examples.
If they like your vision and if you are able to speak good english, then you're in - no matter what experience you have had, or what qualifications you got. I got some friends who passed the personal interview using absolutely lies answering the questions they have been given. And they even hadn't any previous work experience.....
It's a just question of luck, right time, right place and the right people - nothing else. Don't waste your time in thinking who is right and who is wrong.
To be EK's recruiter is not easy job, because of the number of people who are attending the assesments. It's a very difficult for them to choose the proper candidates, so I dare to repeat it once again: question of luck, right time and right place with the right people.
I don't want to defend nor Ek nor the dissapointed guy, but it's true that the experince and the qualification are may be on last place in the Ek criterias.
Hope you don't get me wrong and I hope I was helpful.
Best reagrads and best of luck to anyone who wants to be a CC.

Montreal76
8th Dec 2008, 22:02
LOL no need to judge here , the behavior showed in the post is self explanatory and shows little restraint in using foul language to demonstrate a frustration. Imagine being frustrated at 35000 feet...eek.

dy1ng_to_fly
9th Dec 2008, 06:40
I can understand frustration, but to come out and say that the airline treats people like crap is going a little far, and does come across as being quite immature.

I too didn't get through the open day, and although I was upset, it doesn't change the fact that I really want the job and respect the company!

To do the job, you need to be level headed, and from first impressions, it doesn't seem like this person is!

Barrett - if you don't get though the open day, you don't need to wait a certain amount of time before trying again (that's only if you get though to an assessment day). It seems that EK come to Melb every 3-4 months, so try again next time!

made_in_ukraine
9th Dec 2008, 12:58
With all my due respect to previous posts, I doubt that it is the question of pure luck of getting into working for Emirates. After all, it is a well-respected company which would not hire people who do not meet certain criteria.

To add what I have posted earlier, it seems to me that what the recruiters look if they have 300 applications during the initial screening are things that make you stand out from others (after all, the company itself wants to stand out among other airlines and be on top. And to achieve this, cabin crew plays a role in this mission, too. Therefore, by employing people who are (or have a potential of being) just a little bit more impressive than the rest of the pool, the company, to a certain degree, ensures that while on board, these new cabin crew will also make an impression that will last and will make a passenger's experience with EK stand out from his/her experience with any other airline.

Also, they are not looking for perfect people, but rather for people who have this genuine capacity of being friendly and being able to develop a warm relationship on a short notice. And yes, like in every single industry, EK may have employed people who do not necessarily have skills requited to perform this job exceptionally well. However, this is not EK's fault but rather a human being's capacity to bypass the system and sell what is wanted. So, speaking 3-4 foreign languages, having 10 years of customer's service experience and having MD degree are not the prerequisites. These qualities help one a lot, but only if they are matched with a genuine friendliness and being a human being (which entails that you might have some flaws, too).

From my experience, I can share that it helps if you come to the assessment day with a positive attitute and no expctations that you will make it. Having a desire to go to the final round is what matters (and the trick is to understand where expectations end and your desires begin). Being determibed/obsessed to make it will, in most cases, alert the recruiters of the fact that you are desperate to get the job. And despair is not what they may necessarily need.

For those who are leaving to Dubai, have a safe flight and a great start! And for those who, like me, are waiting for the outcome of the final interview, I hope you all will get a positive result.

For those who did not make it, don't despond. After all, if you did not get what you wanted this time, it does not mean that you are worth it. It simply means that at this point, you are not ready to receive it. And once timing is right, you will get what is best!

waitingforemirates
9th Dec 2008, 18:26
Hello everyone! I'm so happy to find this forum :ok:
Anyone here went for the OD & FI in Singapore? I just went to my FI a week ago, and now, i'm waiting for the well-known GOLDEN CALL too(that is if there is one meant for me). :)
I would like to ask, if "rejection" email comes in 4-6 weeks too? Not to jinx myself but i'm wondering if they would be kinder to people they "reject" as in informing at an earlier date.

lisiane_e
9th Dec 2008, 19:41
Hi, I'm From Brazil And Just Had My Final Interview.
The Recruiter Asked Me To Do A Puzzle Test, So I Guess It Is Not A Good Sign, Right>???

Hugs

VITOR FIRMINO
9th Dec 2008, 20:27
Hi , reading your question if i can recollect from october final interviews, which took place in sp, most of those who did this exercise made it, so keep calm and you only have to wait for the phone rings,and you will be soon in the sandpit, congratulation and we will keep our fingers crossed for you, see you,até mais.;)

sharmatanoo
10th Dec 2008, 01:30
i have been with ek from past 2 years and i can say there is no better airline than emirates to work for...i wish good luck to all of u guys..see u onboard

dy1ng_to_fly
10th Dec 2008, 03:02
thanks sharmatanoo - always nice to hear something positive from someone who knows first hand what they're talking about!

ExFlighty
10th Dec 2008, 05:44
Hi Guyz,

I just got my Final call for the medical approval and also received an email from them, telling me to resign. :ok: I finally made it!!!! WOW. :p
I'm leaving on Dec 19th. No information as to where I will be staying yet. However, once I'm there I will keep you guyz posted ok.

Deon85, your fellow South African friend(we were in the same assessment group) will see you at Emirates next month:E
Montreal76, see you soon and Good luck with your training.
CarineA, I hope to meet you and lets keep in touch on FB, ok.

:cool:

deon85
10th Dec 2008, 08:47
Good Work Exflighty!
Im sure you will enjoy it...
Just finished my medicals...and $400 later!!!! :suspect:
oh well at least its done now, sending paperwork off on friday then the final waiting game...

made_in_ukraine
10th Dec 2008, 11:11
One girl who had her final interview in Osaka last Monday, received her call yesterday, just 8 days after the interview (basically, 6 business days after). Has anyone experienced such an efficiency or has heard of it?

waitingforemirates
10th Dec 2008, 11:59
hi there. i believe it's the notice period that she has mentioned? perhaps she has stated that she is ready to leave for training anytime or at least in December. Is that the case? I had stated that i'm ready to leave in Jan'09. :8

made_in_ukraine
10th Dec 2008, 12:18
waitingforemirates, thanks! this is what I thought, too. I put mine availability from mid January. Would be nice to get a Xmas present :-)

By the way, chatting with one FA from QR, I was told that Emirates are not doing that great financially these days and suspend their recruitment (though on their webpage, it states they they continue to hire masses). Anybody heard anything with regards to this? I would not like to breed rumors or anything though...

GALLEY_SCALLY
10th Dec 2008, 12:27
I wouldn't dwell on galley fm... Unitil you see it on EK's website that their recruitment is frozen... Personally I have spoken to EK crew who say they are short on crew so who knows...

Kolarevich
10th Dec 2008, 12:49
Hi there Ex
How long did you waited from final interview?
And can you tell me what is important in 4th screening, we had topic about what 5 items will we choose in order to survive, what do you think what are they looking there?
I didn't passed that last elimination unfortunately so now i would like to work on that where i did wrong and to prepare myself for next one. Thank you :)

Kolarevich
10th Dec 2008, 12:55
After 4th screening, the debate topic group coming psicho test. What kind of test is it and how long does it take? And after that i guess FI coming, so what is final interview all about, what do they doing and looking in both of it, and i guess there is no elimination?
Also after final interview, do they say to you something or just saying we will contact you or something like that? And after what time they contact you?

Thank you.

Neno :ok:

helfsich
10th Dec 2008, 13:33
I don't know where the crew from QR got their information from. I think she is referring to the mid financial year report where there was an 88% drop in profit due to fuel prices. Operating revenue was up 31% and there was an 11% increase in passenger traffic, and considering the number of aircraft we currently have on order and need crew for, to my knowlegde, there is no suspension in recruitment.

I'd go with the careers website on this one.

made_in_ukraine
10th Dec 2008, 14:02
helfsich, thanks for the input! These were my speculations as well. I have been monitoring the financial situation of EK since I decided to join them. And while this drop of 88% may pose some insecurities, I have firm beliefs in EK's economic standing (at least for my personal security in case I am hired). But you know, as the one who is waiting for the outcome of the final interview, I started browsing through tons of pointless information on the web and stumbled with some reports (=rumors). Should have been more critical... I apologize for unnecessary and unsubstantiated alert...

By the way, does anyone know whether those who are hired now are going to be trained to fly on both Airbus and Boeing, or solely on A380?

Montreal76
10th Dec 2008, 14:16
with an 80% drop in profit they still made profit ! And the industry in itself is on shaky ground...There was an interview give to the Wall Street Journal this week and EK said it is hiring at a rate of 90 Flight Attendant positions per week to fill the planes ordered for next year ! EK also posts it's financial report online for the curious and everything looks in the green... But as they say in the aviation business the only thing you can count on is CHANGE.

helfsich
10th Dec 2008, 17:41
The new recruits should be on the regular Airbus and Boeing fleets. I imagine they won't be putting fresh recruits on the A380 for a few years, at the moment being a crew on this is considered a 'privelege' and all current crew had to apply for a position on the new fleet. At the moment they don't have a lot of variety in their roster, just New York and London, which you can still visit on the regular fleet anyways.

noah.hamid
10th Dec 2008, 18:21
Hello all,

I just found out about this assessment day...:eek: and have been trying to land a position at emirates for the longest. I sent in my application and will be calling headquarters tomorrow so that I speed the process up and make sure I get registerred to go there. I live in Washington, D.C. so it's either a 17 hour drive, 21 hour bus ride, or 4 hour plane ride. Plane is out of the question at this point because it's three days away.....AGHGHHHH!!!:ugh: I wish I would've know earlier.

IS ANYONE ELSE GOING?
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT?
WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO ASK ME?
WHAT SHOULD I BRING WITH?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!! THANX EVERYONE

dy1ng_to_fly
10th Dec 2008, 18:55
if it's three days away, I wouldn't count on getting an invite. EK would have sent out assessment day invites weeks ago (if it is an assessment day and not an open day), and the recruiters flying from Dubai would be about to leave (I'm guessing with some info on those who will be at the assessment)

made_in_ukraine
10th Dec 2008, 23:21
helfsich, thanks for clarifications!

CarineA
11th Dec 2008, 02:55
Montreal76, leaving tomorrow!!!!!!!! congrats, I wish you all the best.
ExFlightly, joining in a week, all the best to you too!

and guys let us know on the forum in they make you stay in a hotel , at the emirates college accomodation or in an appartment right away. Im too curious!!!!

CarineA
11th Dec 2008, 02:58
Hi,
make sure to find out if it is an assessment day or open day, because if its open day you dont need an invitation and you can just show up. If you decide to go for open day, good luck!...

and you will find most of the answers to questions you might have about the interviews on this thread and also on Airboy's blog (which is really nice!) he talks about the A to Z to joining Emirates. :ok:

Kolarevich
11th Dec 2008, 12:47
:ugh:
What is differences between open days and assasments days, i know for open days i can come free but for assasments day i need to register or something? I was few days ago on open day in Belgrad, and i manage till almost the end but i failed on 4th screening, so i am curious, when i go next time on open day do i need to pass again all this screenings that i passed?
and do you suggest me to go on open day or on assassment day?
thanks

Montreal76
11th Dec 2008, 13:17
Thanks CarineA.

As for open days, you don't need an invitation, you can also consider coming to one up in Canada, as there will be one in Montreal and Toronto in february and last time there was 1 or 2 girls from the states.

Good Luck

ExFlighty
11th Dec 2008, 13:56
I got my 'Golden' call within 2 weeks after my FI. I told them that I was available to start immediately.

During the group discussions, its all about 'team work', deciding as a team,respecting the other person's opinion, don't argue or try to force your way ,coz there is no right or wrong answer! The recruiters wants to see you working together in a team and how well you cope with pressure around you.

Kolarevich
11th Dec 2008, 15:28
Thank you, i understand now and i can say that even i know where i did wrong, i was more concern about what i will say and if it's right answer but i think i wasn't enough thinking that i need to be part of the team, i was part of but when i was answering i neglected that cause i was worried will i say something wrong... hehe, its really interesting what you need to think of everything about what they want, and i like that, it is really a challenge. But i think next time i know exactly what i need to do, being yourself and confident in words and that's it. If i passed so much then i guess i shouldn't quit just like that.
So, one more question please, what is all about psicho test and about final interview?
what are they asking you everything in final interview? And do you know what exactly do you need of medical test, and after you done your local medical test you send them first and if everything is ok then they invite you in Dubai? Do they pay for you coming there, and what else do you need to do there, you stay there permanent?

Thanks, Neno

Montreal76
11th Dec 2008, 16:17
The psicho test aka Personality test does not weigh in the decision to accept or reject a candidate, is what they say, most likely to match you with a roommate that you can get along with based upon your personality but then again it might be to see if you won't go crazy at 35000 feet and are able to make quick thinking decisions. As for Final Interview, they ask you the routine basic interview question i.e. Give an example of a situation where you were wrong etc...Your employment with EK is conditional that you past a battery of medical tests from HIV to Hearing tests, plus a bunch of vaccination, if you are healthy and have no physical problems you should not be worried. Emirates pays for your flight to Dubai and accommodation from the day 1.

But enough, lol, did you not read this forum ? Another trick to up your chances of getting to FI is knowing what Emirates is all about (reading their website, articles on the web etc), knowing what the job is all about and what it requires, and devotion for it, not a vague attitude !

Good Luck !

Kolarevich
11th Dec 2008, 18:44
Thank you man. I didn't had much time to prepare myself cause i found about open day few days before so i manage to red basics... but i am satisfy with what i done so far without any instructions :)
Also, one more thing, here where i was in Belgrad, there was 200 hundred candidates registered, and for example here in capital of Croatia, Zagreb, there were only 30 candidates registered on open day, so what do you think, is it better to go on places where are reduced numbers of candidates or that is not matter at all?
Thanks...
btw... are you working in Emirates now Montreal76?

CarineA
12th Dec 2008, 03:41
Hi!
I believe its better if you go to the open day where there is less competition, then your chances are bigger.....of course they say they pick anyone who they think is ood for the job, but if they choose 10 out of 60 the odds are much better than let's say 10 out of 200..:) I would go to the one with less candidates. However, maybe its better to go in your own country than in another country because if they go to a specific country it might be to hire people from that country specifically. Its just what I think, maybe Im wrong :) Do they go to your home country? I wish you all the best for your interview!!!!!!!!!!! :) good luck kolarevich!:ok:

Montreal 76 left tonight for Dubai! He was flying on the A380 to go there, lucky him!!! We met this week for lunch! I can't wait for him to post on the forum about what it's really like when you arrive there!!!!!

made_in_ukraine
12th Dec 2008, 05:13
Hey CarineA (and other wannabes),

I have stumbled across the blog (http://clauderic.*************/) {substitute "***" with "*************"}which I assume is run by Montreal76. And what a pity, he did not make it to Dubai...(or at least, not now as I am reading it).

Montreal76, I am so sorry to hear about that! Was your YUL-JFK-DXB on a one PRN (a through ticket)? If it was, then what AA stuff in YUL told you is far from being correct. If your traveling to the final destination is on a single ticket number/PRN and you checked in on time at your original airport, then AA IS responsible for your connection from YUL to JFK AND from JFK to DXB. Had two tickets been issued by EK, then yes, each leg is treated separately by a respective airline. I assume EK issued a single ticket from YUL to DXB; however, some of AA's ground stuff is known for their "professionalism" in handling such problematic situations.

AA's responsibility was to either reroute you to DXB with any other airline which flies on that day (which I assume is none; and most probably, the JFK-DXB is valid only on EK) or provide you accommodation and meals until they are able to comply with the ticket routing and make sure you reach your destination. In any case, it was they who should have been in touch with EK to sort these things out.

If I may advise to those who may end up being in the same situation and do not have means of contacting EK (or might have to stay an extra night in the airport), please be aware that your right as a passenger {as long as you are on a single ticket to DXB} is to ask for the airline which disrupted your originally booked traveling schedule to accommodate your needs.

Montreal76, I am so sorry to hear about this mess. I hope you will be flying safely to DXB on next available flight and will enjoy your start with EK no matter what!

Greetings from Osaka,
(Im)Patiently waiting for the outcome of the FI.

canadianboy23
12th Dec 2008, 12:51
Sorry to hear that Montreal76 is going through some stress. But look at it this way, it is great preperation for your job as a flight attendant, also very stressful. I assume they will have you on their next flight to New York and then on Emirates to Dubai.

Montreal76
12th Dec 2008, 12:55
Just woke up from a bad night of turning and tossing.

Made_in_ukraine : It was one ticket, AA is just bad (and I was not surprised).

Back in the waiting game for a new joining date.

My advice to future joiners not flying into DXB directly would be to have EK booked an earlier flight to connect, as mine was only 2 hours with no room to rebook on another airline in just such a case.

Good luck to all still waiting !

Montreal76
12th Dec 2008, 13:02
LOL It is in fact good preparation, but having been a flight attendant before, I can tell you that's nothing ! I once had a 6 hours delay after a 8hour flight with passengers on board on a double stop.

As for medical, I have private insurance and got refunded 75% of the cost...which was around 900$ (549$ for laboratory tests and doctor - 349$ for the vaccination shots).

And 60$ for the taxi cab ride back home after last nights fun outing at the airport lol

Kolarevich
12th Dec 2008, 13:20
Thank you CarineA. Yes, i agree with that, and i think i have more chances being with less candidates of course. Well, in my country there was one last year, and i think there is one open day per year here so i will see after 6 months will i have it here or will i need to go in another closest country. Are you already working for Emirates?
And this costs for medicals, is that for when i am in Dubai and having medicals there so i need to pay that, or my medicals at home?

Montreal, how is flying with A380?

made_in_ukraine
12th Dec 2008, 14:53
Montreal76, once again, I am sorry to hear about your experience with AA. I find it appalling that the ground staff did not do anything to help you. While there is not much they could do given that the flight had been canceled, I would imagine that there was more than one daily flight between Montreal and JFK, even if not on AA metal. To me, it is just beyond my understanding why they would not rebook you onto UA or AC so that you could make it to JFK in time to catch the plane to DXB. Have you thought of writing a letter to AA customer's service? I am sure that AA is well aware of its responsibilities when dealing with a ticket which has multiple legs. After all, it is from the complaining customers that any enterprise can learn about possible improvements.

canadianboy23
12th Dec 2008, 21:34
Montreal76 - It must be stressful for you, but trust me, it is probably for the best. Maybe this prevented you from meeting the wrong people and having the wrong and tough experiences. You'll fly when it is best for you. So enjoy now the time you have, and let us know when your date of joining is.
I wonder how Emirates will schedule you next, the next several days, or for the next training session they have a week or two after...?

Canadianboy23

Montreal76
12th Dec 2008, 22:41
You have plenty of time lol I did all my medical and vaccination in 2 days and waited a week for the results, scanned and emailed the reports to EK (they won't be sealed as you are requesting it for yourself and will be tested again in Dubai) and got the approval 1 week prior to DOJ. For better result I would recommend a private clinic but for sure be ready to spend above 600$ depending on what is covered by your health card in the US.

Good Luck

Montreal76
13th Dec 2008, 21:28
If you know your health is good and will meet the requirement stated in the papers they sent you, you should not worry for the final approval ! THATS A FACT. Just do some research on Private clinics or even come up to Canada to to them, but then again, its really basic medical, should cost between 500$ to 1k. When they called you did they not ask you when you would be able to join ?

Like I said if you know you will meet their medical standards the approval is in the bag.

Good Luck.

Montreal76
13th Dec 2008, 21:51
No Probs, I'm not in Dubai yet, my flight got cancelled to go there last thursday and waiting for Emirates to sort out things for me.

Good Luck.

Montreal76
14th Dec 2008, 03:16
Finally got a call back and will now be joining on the 19th ! Will be waiting for email to see if I will be blessed by American Airlines again lol

Who else is joining ?

waitingforemirates
14th Dec 2008, 09:18
A girl who went to the FI as me got her GOLDEN CALL TODAY, 11days after. I'm so excited for her!! :D
I'm wondering, if people who got the calls from the same assessment day, do they get calls at about the same timing, or?
Can anyone help on this question?

Montreal76
14th Dec 2008, 13:23
I got my final approval exactly one week before my DOJ and by email, the only time I got a call was after the FI and that's it, I guess it is more efficient for them to communicate via e-mail to avoid any language misunderstandings. The e-ticket as per the Final approval comes 4 days before your DOJ and again via email.

Good Luck !

made_in_ukraine
14th Dec 2008, 15:32
waitingforemirates, a friend of mine who had his final interview on the same day as I did, received his call exactly 13 days after the final interview. And another girl was contacted even earlier - 8 days after.

I have not heard anything from EK as of today. I called to Emirates to inquire about my status and they told me that the files were being under review and the outcomes would be communicated sometime this week.

I would love to know how their internal structure functions. Do they sort files based on the gender/last name/country of origin...?

CarineA
14th Dec 2008, 16:19
Hi, I am waiting for my final approval too! After they called me to tell me I was hired and I got the instructions for medicals I rushed to do everything really really fast but in the end, as Montreal76 says, they only give FA a few days prior to leaving. If everything on your medical is in order everything should be fine. It must be strange to receive the ticket only 4 days before:ooh: there must be a good reason behind that.

I used to work on cruise ships and they would send us our flight itinerary a month before or so.

I am gonna be so happy when I finally get the FA. Now I have 2 weeks off untill I leave, I will relax and enjoy spending time with family and friends.

By the way, a girl that got there last week sent me an e mail (she didnt mention where they live or anything) but she says they are very busy and she advised me to bring these items lol: a clock, an iron, and sweaters (because apparently its chilly in the evening at this time of year) My other friend that left same time as her should write soon too. I will let you know if she mentions anything interesting I could share on the forum.

take care

Montreal76
14th Dec 2008, 16:22
I thought they give us an Iron in the welcome kit...uh...will have to go shopping for one lol

CarineA
14th Dec 2008, 16:23
hey do you know when you are leaving, is it still January 16th? My DOJ is still Jan 2nd. My best friend Oliver is gonna go to the interviews in february, they are coming back to recruit in Canada. Itd be awesome if he could join tooooo!!!!!!!!

waitingforemirates
14th Dec 2008, 18:45
Thanks for replying. Yes i really wonder how do Emirates go about their procedure of recruitment. I guess we will never know and all that we do now, is have faith! No news is good news!!

All the best to everyone here! :ok:

Montreal76
14th Dec 2008, 22:06
If they need you I don't see why they would not move up your date depending on if your papers are ready, visa, FA etc...I was looking at my visa and it was approved since November 23rd and my e-ticket booked since the 20th, so I guess they must , no they are pretty busy managing all the new recruits !

Good luck and see you there !

Montreal76
15th Dec 2008, 02:54
I got my paper work and forms 2 days after the Golden Call and got Final Approval one week before my DOJ and you get your tickets 4 days before your DOJ.

Check your junk mail ! Are you sure of the email address that you gave to them ?

Good Luck !

nuigini
15th Dec 2008, 05:42
Could somebody tell me what will happen on a global assessment day? Can't really find anything specific.

Really appreciate it! Thanks!

made_in_ukraine
15th Dec 2008, 06:40
nuigini, have a closer look on the posts published on this forum. There is a number of very detailed descriptions on what one may expect during the assessment day. If you are looking for specific information, well, you won't be able to find, since it varies not only from country to country, but from time to time when the assessment is held. That being said, there are some general tendencies that all assessments follow. Just read through the posts here. It will take a time, indeed, but hey, who said that life is easy. I personally made here posts here about my experience with EK in Osaka (also, have a look at <flyingdiplomat DOT ******** DOT com>. I tried to summarize as best as I could what assessment day looked like). And researching the blogs or Airboy and other current EK crew is very helpful!

Good luck and let me/us know if you have any other questions!

deon85
15th Dec 2008, 07:07
Im gone for one weekend and there is so much to catch up on! Whooaaa..
Meanwhile, Im sending off my medical forms in a second.
Thank goodness I finally got them all done! took me 3 weeks just about!
Now in regards to getting the final A-OK from them... I have to give 4 weeks notice to resign from my current job! Which means by end of next week & my DOJ is 23Jan. Do they send you an email saying yeah resign. Then 4 days before you depart give you your eticket? I hope they take in consideration that i got to resign with 4 weeks notice. I did let them know...

Canadianboy23 to answer your question. Yes they can move you DOJ earlier... I girl from my FI is starting quite soonish i heard... So just ask them im sure they will say yes..

Ok bye for now,
byeeeeee

sarahbusta
15th Dec 2008, 08:26
hi there,

i also had my FI last 30 Nov and its been 15 days for me and havent received a call from them yet. its nerve-wrecking...i dunno what to expect! im shocked she got the call after 11 days of waiting. i thought it will take time as holidays are coming. is it true if ur not selected for the job, they will send us an email and not a call? i dida very good job on my 2nd interview with all the group discussions and everything and my FI is just ok and looked nervous but i keep smiling to them even exiting the door! my interview didnt take an hour...just 30-40 mins and same with my friend too and i saw some of them is taking iq test and i dont know why...it made me nervous. sometimes im wondering what are they really looking for. i want the job so bad

made_in_ukraine
15th Dec 2008, 09:48
Does anyone know what is the ratio of those who attend the final interview and those who do not receive the job offer? I remember reading somewhere that about 70-80% of the applicants who are selected to attend the final interview get the job. So, chances are not as slim as they pay appear at first glance...

bluefish_au
15th Dec 2008, 09:50
Hope it's true, madeinukraine! Gives the rest of us a bit more hope!!

made_in_ukraine
15th Dec 2008, 10:20
I hate my mind. It just can't stop reasoning and thinking...
OK, here is what IT (i.e., my mind) has enlightened me with:
If among 300 applicants they chose 30 and you are among these 10%, clearly, they saw a great potential in you and a benefit for EK to have you on board. So, the final interview serves as the last mean to reconfirm their belief in you.

Strangely enough, none of my referees have been contacted yet....

And apologies to you guys (who are about to leave for DXB to start their work) for reading this "I-am-so-scared-and-anxious-to-know-the-outcome" posts.

deon85
15th Dec 2008, 10:44
Hey MadeInUkraine...

Really hope you do get it!!!
Let us know as soon as you hear ANYTHING from them.. Tell us everything..
I'm glad im not mathematical otherwise I would have gone crazy x2!!! hehe

Im now in my 2'nd phase of waiting for an email after my medicals! Seems like the waiting never ends! I waited 4 weeks for mine, and I knew of 3 peeps who got their calls only a week after the FI!

They told me it depends on your availability etc.. There is allot for them to do on their end I suppose. Visa paperwork, accomodation sorted etc...

Im definitely glad I found this site though, otherwise I would have gone crazy if it was just myself!

Hopefully See you There!!

Chino any news on the "G" call front??

D

made_in_ukraine
15th Dec 2008, 11:21
hey deon85,

Thanks for your encouraging words! I am glad to see that I am not alone in my waiting phase. After all, I can understand the recruiters, too. With the amount of applications they have to deal, it must be an immense load of work (and I would imagine that there are no more than 10-15 people who make the final decisions, if at all that many).

I put my availability ASAP, January 25th being the earliest date. But I guess, if I am selected, I won't join earlier than mid February (the date which was offered to a friend of mine who got his call this past Saturday). In any case, what matters is not the date when I join bu the fact of joining itself.

Back to waiting... (and writing this annoying research proposal). I wish I had known of massive EK's hirings when I was younger...

Good luck to everyone! And have a great start in DXB, deon85! I am sure your medicals are just a formality!

sarahbusta
15th Dec 2008, 11:31
hi, how long have u beien waiting for the golden call? do they really call our referees? i think once u made it on the FI, chance is high and availability might be important. keep ur hopes high... im dying for the call lol

deon85
15th Dec 2008, 11:31
25th? Whoa thats just 2 days after my DOJ.. Do you think we will have the same training group then? Would be silly running two..
Would be great if you got on that one too along with your mate.

Im sure your call will come soon.. All is good :)

D

made_in_ukraine
15th Dec 2008, 12:42
Hey sarahbusta! In my case, it has been 15 days today. I had my final interview on November 30th (Sunday). The lady who conducted the interview had another group to deal with on Monday, December 1st. And it was only on Tuesday afternoon when she got back to Dubai. So, technically, my file has been in Dubai only since December 3rd (12 days now). I am not sure if they check the referees. None of mine emailed me saying that they had been contacted and all that. Well, I am sure that you would not provide a referee who could possibly say something negative about you. So, references are just something to reconfirm their belief in you.

deon85, I don't know if there is a group starting on January 25th. When asked to indicate the date when I could join, I indicated January 25th totally randomly. But I doubt that if I am successful, they would fly me that early. If they offered February 20th as DOJ to my friend who has already been contacted, then in my case, later dates are more likely options. But still, it may happen that I will see you on one of the EK flights.

By the way, if anyone is interested to chat on facebook, please feel free to send me private message here and I will gladly add you to facebook (I also use gmail and am online like 27 hours per day).

Also, there is a great commedy about FAs, "View from the Top" You can find it at alluc.org

sarahbusta
15th Dec 2008, 14:08
thanks for the reply! i had my interview last 30 nov too here in singapore and the recruiters had interviewed some of the candidates who were shortlisted and they left 3rd dec. so we share something in common then! we've been waiting for 15 days! :)

how was your FI? did u take any IQ test after they interview u? i saw 2 of the girls took some test after and my interview didnt take that long. so i was confused when i left the building. im so scared..i dunno if they gonna call or not.

btw, i have a fb. u can just search for my name...sarah busta :)

nice to meet u madeinukraine

Montreal76
15th Dec 2008, 14:39
Still no e-ticket received eek This is driving me nuts knowing I should of been there already...NUTSSSS....lol

People waiting for FI, I received mine one week before my scheduled DOJ.

Yes they are very busy, I'm trying to resolve my issue with the flight that was cancelled to join, and everyday I receive an email from EK or a forward to this and that person to take care of me, that on top of the call I got reassuring me that I will be able to join on the 19th....

The time difference does not help the stress, as when I'm sleeping at night they are working, a lot of tossing and turning on the bed.

I say it's all going to be worth it, and to be patient.

Good Luck to all !

made_in_ukraine
15th Dec 2008, 14:42
Hey Sarah,

Nice to meet you, too! Oh, so we are in the same boat then.

My interview was short, too (well, everyone whom I managed to talk to had their interviews no longer than 20-30 minutes). When I left it, I had a good feeling. I tried not to overdo it, and yet to sound convincing. But then, as I was having it, I did not think that much about saying things that they wanted to hear and trying to "fit into" the preferred candidate profile. Though sometimes I caught myself talking a bit too much and maybe giving the info they did not need after all. Anyways, it is done and now have to wait.... I so need patience... NOW :-)

As for IQ tests, nope, I did not have to do it and the guy who had been notified already did not take it, either. I guess they randomly chose people to do the test and I assume it does not have an impact on their decision. After all, they do not look for PhD candidates in Nuclear Radiology (not even sure if such exists:hmm:).

As for facebook, I found two people with your name...I hope I sent the message to the "correct" Sarah!

So, basically now I am trying to get the Emirates out of my head and have their call as a surprise. I am off to Germany in a week (and there my Japanese phone does not work). So, I am hoping that they will notify me pretty soon, whatever the outcome is.

Have a good one,

Sasha

wish_2_fly
15th Dec 2008, 15:07
Hey Guys,

God there is so many of us in the same boat......EK are definitely on a recruitment drive!!!

I had my final interview 4 weeks ago and sent my final stuff 3 weeks ago.....so I am surgically attached to my phone!!! I flinch everytime it rings!!!

I was at the Glasgow open day on the 16th November....anyone else from that open day!!??

I hope I get this........................................................ ..but then again I think everyone on this forum does!!!

Keep me updated everyone on how your all doing.....It gives me hope!! Congrats to you guys that have already made it!!

xxx

waitingforemirates
15th Dec 2008, 15:13
hey there!

I think we must have seen each other during our interviews. I had my interview in Sg too. Do you keep in touch with any of us? I kept in touch with 3 and one got the call already and she's leaving in Feb!! I added you in fb, hope you're the right one that i add.

Hope to hear from you soon!

sarahbusta
15th Dec 2008, 15:14
hi sasha,

added u on fb already! as for the FI, i didnt really convince them that much and i know i was obviously nervous when i talked to them. but i never fail to smile even exiting the door! i hope that helps! i know i did stand out on group discusions and everything as when i sat down in the interview room, they mentioned i did a very good job but interview was ok. so i really dunno what to expect..!

u need to set ur phone to autoroam so that they can call u. my phone is with me all the time in case when they call hehe

Montreal76
15th Dec 2008, 15:17
Let's look at it this way lol

When we will be on stand by waiting all day to see if we are going to be pulled out for a flight, we will definitely have to be patient lol

My 2 cents lol and impatiently waiting for my e-ticket lol

Good luck to all !

made_in_ukraine
15th Dec 2008, 15:27
Good point, Montreal76! If someone has an extra patience available, please feel free to donate/share/lend/give as a present for me.:O

canadianboy23
15th Dec 2008, 15:41
I guess there is nothing to do but be patient. Time will solve all concerns :)
They are professionals so I am sure they know what they are doing and when they need us, they will contact us.
They received my medicals and so now I am just waiting. I think it might take a couple weeks at least before I hear from them.

Montreal - that must be quite stressful for you, because it is already the 15th and you fly on the 19th. But don't worry, they will send your e-ticket in the next little bit :) .

sarahbusta
15th Dec 2008, 15:48
hey,

thanks for the add and nice knowing u. lets hope for the best and i hope they gonna call sooon! :) good to meet someone whose in the same boat as me. take care and keep in touch! off to sleep

Kolarevich
15th Dec 2008, 16:03
Anyone from Belgrad open day here?

nakks
15th Dec 2008, 17:13
Just sent out my medicals a few minutes ago....so much paperwork not to mention the needles and the costs:eek: $600 am now broke right before x mass. but am glad that phase is over, now am back to the 2nd waiting phase which should take two weeks i think...:confused: this has to be the longest interview on record.

canadianboy23
15th Dec 2008, 18:00
Don't get your hopes up so quickly. If it helps, I got my call after few people got their e-mails. Keep positive.
nakks - $600 is just about right, I spent a little more though I think. Look at it as an investment in your future, at least now you know you are healthy and got the vacciness which are an investment in your health (a $300 investment at that :ouch: )

deon85
15th Dec 2008, 19:06
Nakks i feel your pain and so does my Wallet...
Over $500 bucks here so far :{

Montreal76
15th Dec 2008, 19:26
Like canadianboy said at least now we know we are healthy (I am lol). The vaccination shot is a once in a lifetime thing also.

Now if only there was a shot for being patient lol

Good Luck !

CarineA
16th Dec 2008, 01:21
YAY I finally got my final approval this morning. I need to show them a resignation letter of a proof that I don't work for my previous employer and I should receive the flight and visa 4 days prior to flying (thats what they said).

Anyone joining January 2nd too? :)

Montreal76
16th Dec 2008, 02:10
Congrats Carine_A

CarineA
16th Dec 2008, 04:58
what are the perdiems like for the destinations?

CarineA
16th Dec 2008, 05:09
Thanks Mikesofly3000!!!!Hi, I waited about a month and they sent me FA 2 weeks and a half prior to leaving. I know some people got FA like 10 days prior to, so still have plenty of time untill January 30.

hey I found a thread called emirates layover in the forum and there is a list in it dating from 2007 with the time crew spend at each layover. Its pretty cool.:ok:

I have some questions for current EK crew that might read this thread:

1. I am really curious to find out if crew joinng lately are most of the time staying in hotels for a few weeks or mostly already put into appartments on their first day.

2.I am also curious to know how much perdiem (allowance money) you get for the destinations and if in some destinations the perdiem is higher than others, how does it work?

3. What is the longest layover at the moment?:O

4. What hotels are you staying at normally? I heard a few times Golden Tulip hotels, Hyatt (in Morroco or Brazil for example), Hilton...? if thats right it is pretty cool. What other hotels are you staying at and are you normally downtown or near airports?

Im more and more curious...:ooh: LOL

GayFriendly
16th Dec 2008, 06:03
Am not EK cabin crew but used to be for BA.....just flown DXB-ATH and was amazed to find you guys do this as of very recently as a there and back, no layover, it was a five hour flight on the way out! Guess EK are doing what all other airlines are doing and cutting back to the bare minimum with what they can get away with for layovers. Friends still at BA tell me the same, the 10 day Seychelles trip , now those really were the days! ;) You guys do an amzing job considering the minimum rest you get nowadays down route

bluefish_au
16th Dec 2008, 08:25
Congrats Carine.... the wait is finally worth it! Good luck with everything!

Mari
16th Dec 2008, 08:45
Hi Carina,

I joined almost 3 years ago. I'm a 380 crew now.

1. Some of the new crew were put to TEMPORARY ACCOMODATION in Al Barsha, next to the Emirates Mall. Some of them were put to permanent accomodation all over in Dubai. I can imagine that there will be crew in hotels again, as I heard that we are out of space.

2. It's between 1,500-2,500 dhs a month. The Meal Allowance is paid outstation in hotels in cash at the reception desk. London, 24 hrs: 60 pounds, Japan, 24 hrs: 14,000 yen, Zürich, 24 hrs: 150 Frank, New York, 31 hrs: 144 dollars. For current exchange rate check: Currency Converter - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/currency?u)

3. The longest trip is this, I think, 8 days:

1 DXB 09:05 1 BKK 18:05 6h 0m BKK 1d 0h 10m
2 BKK 19:30 3 SYD 08:45 9h 15m SYD 1d 0h 15m
4 SYD 10:15 4 AKL 15:15 3h 0m
4 AKL 17:00 4 SYD 18:20 3h 20m SYD 2d 0h 15m
6 SYD 19:50 7 BKK 00:55 9h 5m BKK 1d 0h 15m
8 BKK 02:25 8 DXB 05:55 6h 30m

Longest lay-over? Maybe Los Angeles: 3 days, 1 hour, 40 minutes.

4. Sheraton, Hyatt, Marriott etc. Some of them are airport hotels.

All this information will be available for you on the Crew Portal after completing your training.

Montreal76
16th Dec 2008, 12:49
Thanks Mari for that info. Carine_A curiosity killed the cat lol

Finally got my new e-ticket and leaving on thursday once again and on American Airlines ! and still flying out on the A380, can't wait...now let's hope AA does not screw me over again lol

Good luck to all !

Aussieguy
16th Dec 2008, 15:31
Hey, 26 year old Australian guy here living in Prague. I've always wanted to be a flight attendant and met a few who work for Emirates and love it. Im thinking of applying by just filling in the on-line application next month as they rarely have open days in Prague, Bratislava or Vienna etc.
I haven't got any flying experience though have always worked in travel and lived over seas now for nearly 3 years in UK and Prague. I also dont know a second language. Do you think my chances are ok based on that?
Also another random question, whats it like for a gay guy to live in Dubai??
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks
:ok:

Montreal76
16th Dec 2008, 17:26
A lot of companies in Canada have 6 hour to and 6 hour back flights 12 hours (turnarounds), From canada to the Caribbean and south america, with no layover and this dating for a long time as the rule would be that layovers are mandated for flights crossing 4 or 5 time zones.

Why would they give a layover for a 5-6 hour flight ? When at least a good hour is spent seating at your jump-seat (30 minutes each leg).

I worked for a charter before , and even after a 10hour vancouver - glasgow I would rather sleep my 8 hours and go back cause the jet lag is a killer if you stay more then that trying to readjust your internal clock.

But to be real ! we all did take the job to enjoy nice layovers from time to time :)

Happy flying !

Dubai Bound
16th Dec 2008, 19:51
3 of the 15 people(2 girls, 1 guy) that I had final interviews with in NYC with got called and Hired this morning! Now I am going crazy. I want them to call me so bad!!! Knowing how randomly they do things at EK I probably won't get a call till the sixth week. That's two weeks away. Going crazy, can't sleep, can't eat..........:mad:

made_in_ukraine
16th Dec 2008, 22:24
Dubai Bound, welcome to the club! Same here. Three people who had their FIs on the same day with me, received their calls already. Waiting and waiting...

made_in_ukraine
16th Dec 2008, 22:28
Aussieguy, if you are located in Europe, then try to lodge your application under any European destination. I see that EK comes very often to London. So, why don't you apply through the webpage and indicate that you are available for the assessment/open day which is going to be held there. There are no requirements for residence when it comes to attending the interviews with EK. And getting from CZ to UK is not that expensive given the availability of low cost airlines.

As for the gay issue, there was a thread on cabincrew.net in the section Middle Eastern Airlines. Sorry, can't post it now as I am terribly late for the class. If you are interested to know more, send me a private message here...

Good luck!

helfsich
17th Dec 2008, 01:50
I'd say your best bet at attending an open day would be one in Germany, however with the language issue they are in desperate need of German speakers so perhaps going to one in this region would possibly be to your disadvantage. I know that they recruit heavily from Belgrade, and have in the past held open days in Bratislava (a few batchmates of mine were recruited from the open days there) but if you're keen as made_in_ukraine said there are plenty of flights between PRG and London.

From what I understand the gay crew here don't really struggle here. Most of them are conscious of the laws and don't do anything that may get them in trouble with the police. Behavior such as public displays of affection are frowned upon, both for homosexual and hetrosexual couples, and cross-dressing is banned. It is a muslim country however they mostly turn their eyes away from it rather than actively seek out and punish those that are homosexual. They also closed this nightclub (Submarine from memory) which was notorious for being the 'gay nightclub' in Dubai.

There is a large gay population here in EK, no where near the size as the other airlines, but everyone knows everyone and it's quite a good crowd, so don't think you won't be by yourself or anything like that. Hope that explains things a bit better.

Lia Kohl
17th Dec 2008, 03:25
Who is the third lucky from Osaka?
I'm going to Hong Kong tomorrow, returning next wednesday only and I'm still not sure if I can get a mobile that will work there!
My other friend left to Guam yesterday but she left her mobile with her husband in case they call (she has no land line).

So, for those experienced, do you think it's a good idea? I was thinking of leaving my cellphone with my brother in case I cant rent one in the airport.

Let me explain: only few mobiles sold in Japan works in overseas. And even if you take the chip and insert in another phone, it doesn't work. :=

Anyhow, I think my additional pictures arrived in DXB only yesterday - or maybe they're arriving now. So I have to be a bit more patient.

Montreal76
17th Dec 2008, 04:29
you could also email them and have them notify you by email !

Good Luck !

nakks
17th Dec 2008, 04:39
You really deserve it. the waiting game is now over for u, you can now start thinking of what to pack :). and thanks for being curious your questions really helped

Am still waiting for an email saying they got my medicals..do they usually acknowledge receipt of the medical forms or i have to call and confirm?...this is killing me, it would be better to know if someone is looking at my papers..

Montreal 76, All the best hopefully this time you will actually reach Dubai :). and to both of you, try and tell us what its like when you get there, i know the training will take most of you time, but we'd like to know of your experiences esp the first week..

ChinoA,
Hang in there i know how depressing this can be...

ALL THE BEST !!:ok:

made_in_ukraine
17th Dec 2008, 04:48
The third person is a girl I met during the assessment day. Her interview was on 28th, but it was not until last week that she submitted her photos and other papers. And voila, she has received her call already. Glad she did not have to wait that long, after all!

made_in_ukraine
17th Dec 2008, 06:09
... and 17 days of waiting are over with the arrival of "No, thank you email from Emirates!" Strangely enough, I am not in shock but in sort of an unpleasant feeling...

Good luck to those who are waiting...

CarineA
17th Dec 2008, 06:25
Made in Ukraine: sorry, sincerely... I am a follower of your blog and I think you do a great job! I hope you try again soon, I heard some people dont get it the first time they try but after they do....like a matter of chance. stay strong ...sorry again about the e mail you got

Nakks, you could e mail them and ask them to confirm receipt of your medicals, that is what I did. I ask them to kindly confirm they got it. Also if they dont e mail you back inside 2 weeks (as they say they usually do), give them a call to see whats up. I called after 3 weeks and the lady told me something was missing, so I sent it the next day. Also from what I read they proceed by the DOJ, people that leave sooner get their medicals checked sooner. :) ps: thanks for you kind words. I promise to write on this thread and write about how is training and stuff. This wannabe thread is so much more fun than the other Emirates thread haha this one rocks! LOL

Montreal_76: I know I got quite curious (I went for coffee with Montreal_76 this afternoon and he made fun of me for asking so many questions hahahah!!!!!!!!!

Mari: thanks a lot for your answers, it was nice to read them! I appreciate

made_in_ukraine
17th Dec 2008, 07:00
CarineA, thank you for your kind words! As much as I feel somewhat upset now, I am glad it is all over before I start my traveling next week. After all, it was not like I lost the job I had had or something more serious happened. I am still alive, have all my friends around and have a stable income. I guess, it was a lottery I played and lost (this time).

Will I do it again? Absolutely (well, unless something better comes up). It was a wonderful experience and I am happy to have had it. I met nice people who will join EK; so knowing FAs may have some benefit for future.

The only thing I wish they provided a feedback. But I guess this is a bit too much to ask...

Anyways, good luck to everyone! And see you sometime here... :-)

deon85
17th Dec 2008, 08:05
Hey Nakks...
I was lucky enough to get a response from them after receiving my medical forms.. They said they will look through it and get back to me as soon as possible. Maybe send them one just to clarify they received it all...

The only thing is I have not yet had all my vaccinations. I heard you can get the vaccinations done there when you arrive? Can someone please confirm this...

Now on to the 2'nd and final waiting stage! It is truly a killer....
I need to hear back from them by next monday so i can give my 4 weeks notice to make my DOJ!!! Ahhhh loving every second of it..

Will keep u all posted

Made_in_Ukraine... Im sorry to hear about the email. Definitely try again..
CarineA Sounds like your all sorted! So happy for you...and hopefully see you there!

D

wish_2_fly
17th Dec 2008, 08:06
Made in Ukraine - so sorry to hear that you werent successfull.....I have been reading your blogs in this forum. Hopefully you will have another chance or maybe even find another opportunity!!

Dubai Bound - I am in exactly the same position as you. 4 weeks I have waited and a few of the guys I was with at the open day have been called!! I dont know if this is good or bad!!! I just want to know either way now.....so we have a possible 2 week more wait now!! Let me know if you hear anything!!

And to everyone who is waiting........I feel your pain!!!

xxx

made_in_ukraine
17th Dec 2008, 08:56
wish_2_fly, deon85, thank you! I hope your experience with Emirates will be more successful.

I guess I should be concentrating on my studies now... Or... maybe try for QR...

sarahbusta
17th Dec 2008, 09:56
im sure u'll get it next time when u try again. this is my third time trying for emirates and made it to FI. so if idint make it this time, i'll try again for sure. im still waiting and i dont know what im going to expect...call or email??? i hope a call from them. this is driving me crazy

its not knowing u here sasha and i hope we do keep in touch.

as for me 17 days of waiting and nothing yet!

question to everyone who got their golden call - is it necessary to indicate the date when ur available? i put mine in 2 months. i hope thats ok wouldnt confuse them

sarahbusta
17th Dec 2008, 11:48
hi chinao

uve been waiting for 6 weeks? its been 17 days for me and im going crazy. my friend just got a NO email from emirates today. so im sure they looked on my file already and havent made their decision yet. im so nervous... i hope its not an email for me. so how about ur friends who went to FI with u? did they get the call or how long they got their NO email? as what i heard they wouldnt make u wait for long if it is a NO...so u have the higher chance..

all the best of luck to those who are waiting! arghh its driving me crazy

Montreal76
17th Dec 2008, 13:20
made_in_ukraine: So sorry to hear that you did not make it...maybe it's a good thing for now, I remember 7 years ago when I first tried for an airline I was all excited and did not get it, I went back to school finished my degree. I'm more glad that I got higher education and can easily make the choice for this career knowing I have something to fall back on. If at first you don't succeed, try again. Good Luck, at least you have a place to stay in Dubai now :)

CarineA: Ha Ha Ha

Deon85: If you need to give 4 weeks notice to your current employer, I would advice you to email them or else when you get your final approval they are going to push it back (your DOJ) to accommodate your resignation notice. And yes you can take your vaccination shots in Dubai but apparently it's more expensive !

sarahbusta: From what I have been reading the later you are available the later the call will come base on what I have been reading on the blogs and this forum.

Good luck to all !

made_in_ukraine
17th Dec 2008, 13:34
Hey Montreal76, Thanks a lot! KIX will always welcome you, too :-)

sarahbusta
17th Dec 2008, 13:35
i see, my friend got a NO email already and she indicated her availability Feb. btw, she got a no email from this email add.. [email protected]
i think its a spam as what madeinukraine told me. i told her she can call or email them to confirm it but she's quite ok with it and wont bother to call.

my heartbeat has gone faster! arghh

Montreal76
17th Dec 2008, 13:47
That's definitely a spam... wake up people !

lisiane_e
17th Dec 2008, 13:48
Hi, I'm Brazilian and applied for Emirates for the first time. I was not prepared at all....I did it as an experience because I want to work as an FA to nacional companies and I made it to the final stage (don't ask me how, hahaha, I guess I was lucky). During the Assessment Day I saw some candidates who had took their braces off just because of this EK interview. And guess what? They didn't pass the first process. And now , reading this forum, I get really scared when I see those messages, people losing weight and getting crazy about the waiting process! I really didn't know that was so hard to get a job in Emirates. Anyway, why do you people want this job so bad? Is it because you love attending and supporting customers or because of the Emirates wage or the idea about living in Dubai, a rich place? Ohh, and I have heard women are treated really bad in the Middle East. I have a friend that got a job in Emirates and could not stand the way she was treated by men!! So she came back to work here in Brazil. Anyway, I'm waiting for their answer but I'm not worried at all. Even if I get a positive answer from Dubai, I don't know if I'm going to accept it becuase of the reasons I described above. So I'm just wondering why people want this job so bad!
Therefore, wish you guys the best of luck !!
Warm Regards from Brazil :ok:!!!!!!!

Montreal76
17th Dec 2008, 13:59
Maybe they want the job so much because they want to make the experience their own and not based on people experiences, I mean if it was really that horrible I don't think they would have such an international flight crew...If my favorite color is blue I cannot expect yours to be blue as well ! I hear a lot of crazy stuff from Brazil, does that mean I will never visit ?

Personally I applied because I love flying and love the job description , and EK offers a good package compared to others (in canada at least). At my last airline people were complaining this and that, while I was loving it. To each their own, just don't make it sour for everyone else.

My 2 cents :)

Good luck to all !

lisiane_e
17th Dec 2008, 14:07
Hehe, thanks for your opinion, Montreal!!!
Yes, Brazil is a kind of a crazy country, but if you ever get a chance to visit it, you should come to the South, to the state of Rio Grande do Sul. I'm sure you are going to like it!!! So different from the rest of the country...lucky me!!
Bye bye!!!:p

sarahbusta
17th Dec 2008, 14:52
yea its a spam...she will just wait their call...IF they call!

NorthernLight1982
17th Dec 2008, 20:27
Hey everyone... after attending the open day/assessment day in Glasgow in November and a final interview I got a call on Sunday morning to say that they had selected me for a job (sooooooooooo excited!!!!), the guy said the next step would be that I will receive and email with my contract and details of what I need to do (medicals etc)... is anyone else in this position? Every day I come home and hope the email has arrived and it hasn't! Do they always take this long?!?!?! Argh! I know it's only been a few days... but waiting is killing..
Thanks...x

CarineA
17th Dec 2008, 22:04
Hi, congrats! just be patient it does take a few days...if you dont recieve it inside a week, give them a call or something but I am pretty sure they will send it soon, I was worriying the same after the golden call, looking every hour in my inbox!
congrats again, when is your DOJ?

Montreal76
17th Dec 2008, 23:33
Check your junk mail also, are you checking the same email you gave them ?

Congrats and happy waiting this is just the beginning but it's all good !

Montreal76
18th Dec 2008, 00:40
You have to send the acceptance before that date, the medicals can follow later, but I think you have 2 weeks to do them, if you can't simply send them an email advising them to push back your DOJ.

By signing the acceptance letter it only confirms that you are willing to join the job on the mentioned date or later conditional that your medical are OK.

The final approval only comes 1 week , 2 week max before your DOJ.

Good luck !

nakks
18th Dec 2008, 04:56
Mike,

You need to sign the acceptance and email it to them immediately OR just reply to the email with the job offer and say you accept the offer plus the terms of employment blablabla...thats what i did and they replied to me the next day saying OK. you also need to complete the online forms ASAP as mentioned in the email.

As for your DOJ i think you should change it after final approval. Am also in the same spot as you, my DOJ is 23rd Jan but i don't think I'll be ready by then so i'll just wait for my medicals to be approved then i ask for a later DOJ....:) good luck with the medicals they suck!!! lol

deon85
18th Dec 2008, 07:30
Same boat as you Nakks..
DOJ is 23Jan, but havnt heard back from them since submitting my medicals and i have to give 4 weeks notice by next tuesday. Hopefully we will still have the same DOJ!!
This wait is reminding me of the "golden call days" . Checking my emails every milisecond.. hehe

Mikesofly..
Dude i laughed when i read the pap thing too. Glad I didnt have to do that.. and YES It is a very expensive process...So far i've spent over $400 and with the vaccinations making it $800!!! I went to a aviation place that do medicals for crew here in aus so at least it was all in one place. I know it will be all worth it in the end...

whooo loving it

D

sarahbusta
18th Dec 2008, 07:46
didnt make it guys. i called the agency who worked with emirates here in singapore and im not on the list who made it. but still no email from them yet saying NO. the list cant go wrong soim expecting an email now.
i want the job but i guess its not for me yet. good luck to everyone who is waiting!

pinkylicious
18th Dec 2008, 22:47
Well I've been waiting for 5 long anxious months,since end july until now, waiting for my 21st bday which was on the 15th Dec,bcos they told me my file was been kept on hold cos I had to be of age to join EK Cabin Crew.
Naturally I passed all the interviews,submitted my application and photos, so I have hopes huh??
I'm restraining from writing to them cos don't wanna sound desperate!! Was thinking of giving time until a few more days!
God, talk about being anxious!!
I'm always ogling my mail with wide eyes waiting for some EK contact...

nakks
19th Dec 2008, 05:37
Teeth problem,
seems you have alot of work to be done on your teeth :), i also had 4 fillings done just for emirates, cost me alot!!! but all my fillings are white. am not sure if they have a problem with the grey filling.

I dont think you need to replace the missing teeth if they are posterior. start doing the dentals 1st they can take a while and you may need a few sessions before the final cleaning.

Just take Appendix 5 with you to the dentist, thats what i did with mine and after she read all the requirements she knew exctly what to do....good luck

canadianboy23
19th Dec 2008, 07:27
mikesofly - you should read the instructions on the medicals. They are very clear regarding the requirements and all the questions you asked. You give the impression of being a panic-type

;)

vector3
19th Dec 2008, 10:35
Hi everyone.Just a question about the medical.I understand it cost alot do have all this done before you go over there,but how much is being payed back from Emirates? All or just a lump sum? Thanks

helfsich
19th Dec 2008, 13:49
The medicals done in your home country are so that you pass the medical requirements when in Dubai to gain your GCAA Medical Certificate. You will go through another day of medical tests when you arrive in Dubai, to ensure that there is no discrepancy between the results. You are not paid back any expenses incurred for medicals taken at home, and failure to have some vital tests (an X-ray,a certain vaccination etc) done in your home country that must be done in Dubai to render you fit to fly will result in the expenses incurred deducted from your first salary payment.

Not only are the tests needed for your Medical Certificate, but also for your medical insurance, which is why they are so thorough and expensive...

Kolarevich
19th Dec 2008, 22:25
Hi Carine. Congrats for you first... when does your education starting?
Also can you tell me, what do you think, what is important and what is best to do in 4th screening where you have debat and individual questions? I fail on that one, but i didn't know what to expect like is it need to be team work or you need to show something else, unfortunately i wasn't red forum here to prepare a lil.
And what is DOJ?
Btw. where you from? I am from Croatia, and open day was in Belgrad

Neno:)

CarineA
20th Dec 2008, 00:17
Hi!

Mike: About your black fillingd...as long as its not in the middle of your front teeth I dont think its a problem...I mean they saw your smile when you applied..and for your second molar that the dentist took out, its its not noticeable then again it should be fine. In the dentist appendix 5 there is a part with blank lines that says general appearance, just tell your dentist to write that these are not noticeable. I think EK makes people go through this because while in Dubai we will get dental insurance and they probably dont wanna have to pay for previous cavities that people had back home. I hope this helped you :) you can also e mail them with your questions or wait after sending your medicals for final approval dont worry they will tell you if somethings wrong and about your DOJ, I heard they can postpone it if you need time in the end to do other medical stuff... good luck! :ok:

Pinkylicious: Girl dont be shy and CALL THEM!!!! GO PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL! They told you got through and accepted with EK, you just had to be 21, so now you are 21 AND they still have your file. They have so many files to deal with, remind them to update yours. You wont bother them, at least you'll know whats going on :) Good luck! Let me know whats going on. See ya on FB!

Kolarevich: I am from Canada. The final interview is all about situation questions. For example, instead of asking you if you can work under pressure, they will ask you to tell them about a stressful situation at work and how you handle it. Instead of asking directly if you obey to your bosses order or how you communicate with coworkers, they'll ask you to remember a situation that you did something your boss didnt agree with, what it was and how you handled the situation after..what happend etc...or if you had a fight with coworkers (a time they didnt agree with you, or a time that you didnt agree with them) and what happend.

I suggest to everyone going on the FINAL INTERVIEW the night before to write on paper a list of situations that happened in your work experience so when they ask you these questions (AND THEY WILL!) you know what to say and you don't stay clueless and seem to be inventing stories... you know how you say afterwards: oh man I wish I said that! because that happened to me in my previous job! you have to prepare this. Don't prepare lines already made, just prepare a list of situations:

for example:
1. A time your boss was disapointed by you or that you desobeyed
2. A time when you had an argument with collegues (one that was their fault and one that was yours)
3. An example of how you dealt with a surcharge of work
4. A time where there was maybe a danger in your work (if applicable)
5. A time when a customer was really angry and how you dealt with it

and after saying the bad part of the story (like telling them you did something even though you knew it was wrong, but you did it cause you thought youd do something right, and you messed up in the end)...tell them WHAT YOU LEARNED FROM IT...(example: that communication is the key to good teamwork)....AND WHAT ACTIONS YOU TOOK to correct the situation.

they might ask you if you are willing to relocate (yes, again)...dont just say yes, explain to them why you dont mind working odd hours, long hours, and being away from home (and why it doesnt scare you to be away from home)...example: another time you lived abroad or you can adapt easily to new environnements

THIS POST IS WAY TOO LONG...SORRY LOL

ciao for now
;)

ps: Montreal76 is in Dubai now wohoo
pss: i spoke to two girls that left on Dec5th and they are not staying at a hotel they are leaving in some buildings since they got there. they suggest to bring there a clock, an iron, a laptop (if you have one) and some sweaters (its chilly now)

ciao, for real this time haha

waitingforemirates
20th Dec 2008, 09:18
I just got the call from Emirates after FI! Anyone's DOJ is on 13 Feb'09? But the next waiting game i've to play is the medicals' and the final approval. Currently am waiting for their email. . . Excited!!:}

Kolarevich
21st Dec 2008, 00:05
Thank you for the long post... but for me is not long, i like every information i can get and i appriciate any help, i am really interesting in emirates and hopefully will work someday there. I am at the moment in interview for local airline and waiting for reply but for me it is just important experience, it will help me for sure in emirates if i pass. Tell me, do you have facebook or something, messenger, so that we stayed in touch cause i am sure i will have more questions. Thanks

Neno

Love_Flying
21st Dec 2008, 00:48
Speaking about teeth...

How important is it that your teeth are perfectly straight?? Could someone who's already in tell me what the go is here??

I have a slight problem with 1 side front tooth which has grown slightly out of polace. ie. I would need braces or surgery to fix it. Otherwise my teeth are fine. All the other teeth are perfectly aligned and this particular tooth doesn't bring me any discomfort.

Will they even consider me for Emirates?? It is noticable if you concentrate on it but usually people haven't noticed under the normal circumstances.

The problem is that since the tooth is not considered a "medical" issue, ie it doesn't bring me any discomfort or pain, it is considered a 'cosmetic' procedure and hence VERY expensive.

Should I give up on trying to get into Emirates?? :rolleyes: I have all the other qualities that I think would make me a suitable cabin crew so it would be a shame!

CarineA
21st Dec 2008, 01:19
no dont give up because of one tooth! dont give up! im sure its nothing big, really..! :D

mikesofly, before thinking about when is the best time to postpone , just try to do everything is time, if you really see you cant well let them know, but dont worry about IF you dont have enough time and when its the best time to tell them...really, concentrate on the things you have to get done, put priorities first and then see....just call cc joiners lines, they can answer all of that if it worries you :)

kolarevich, thanks, yeah just send me a PM with your facebook name and I will add you. my blog is dubdubcarine on *************

waiting for emirates congratulations whahooo:ok:great

take care

canadianboy23
21st Dec 2008, 07:06
by the way, how hard is it for anybody else to get through to them by telephone on the numbers they provide in the medicals? There are six numbers and I could get through only once before, and now I have a question but it is impossible, just answering machine. Been trying for a few days now and really calling at least 20 minuts. It's actually amusing :ugh: Once I got through, the lady was very helpful though...

Chino - don't give up. I waited six weeks as well. A friend of me still hasn"t got a response, and she is waiting 8 weeks. ouch is all I gotta say to that, makes six weeks seem like nothing, and she is STILL waiting. But it will be worth it, it is afterall the best company, at least for me :)

Juzz51
21st Dec 2008, 09:16
My teeth are far from perfect and I got in without any problems. Just go for it. You won't have to fix the problem unless it was a health issue, and in that case they would want you to fix it before you join...so they dont have to pay for it.

nakks
21st Dec 2008, 18:13
Don't give up! you've already waited for 5 weeks, one more week wont hurt i know its easier said than done. After the six weeks are over you can call them (since they said 3-6 weeks). Am sure you will get the job. If they were not interested they would have sent you the e-mail already.

hang in there;)

wish_2_fly
21st Dec 2008, 19:57
I know how you feel I am going into my 5th week of waiting now!! I applied in Glasgow back in November!! Most of the people I have kept in contact with have got the golden call. The others are still waiting......at least no one has got a NO!! They are saving the best til last.... thats what I am telling myself anyway!!

My friend who is CC for Emirates says that are taking lots of new crew but slowly filtering them in to make sure they train well and fit in with existing crew.....they are just choosing a start date for us!!!

Im sure we are in.....otherwise they would have pressed send on the rejection email a long time ago!!!!

CarineA
22nd Dec 2008, 03:10
Canadianboy23: I had the same problem. The thing is the time difference. I you are in TO...call after midnight or before 8 in the morning....I would call at night around midnight to 1 am...because they are 9 hours ahead of us and they are open during office hours I believe

ChinoA: dont give up. Why not give them a call this week if its close to 6 weeks? Good luck. I hope you get the golden call soon soon soon!:ok:

vespaet3
22nd Dec 2008, 06:29
Hi everyone,

I have been reading this thread for a while. Nice to see many others are in the same boat as I am!

I attended the Wellington New Zealand open day in November and made it to the final interview. I'm in my 5th week of waiting to hear something now.

Good luck to all those waiting. :ok:

panpizza
22nd Dec 2008, 10:28
Hi everyone

Got my ass in first week of Jan here in London! Been reading everyones great posts, and they are such a big help. I now know what kind of things to expect.

My main aim for the day is to go in, give it my best shot, and to meet some great people and just have a great day. If I get through I will be happy, if i dont, I wont kill myself over it, for sure!

Its the first time I am going for a CC interview.

P.S I am a male, and will wear a suit, not to sure what colour shirt though? I thought of white? or Pink?? hmmm

wish_2_fly
22nd Dec 2008, 11:12
I would give them a call when its bang on 6 weeks. You have done your time then and they cant be funny about you calling early...

I actually have to wait 7 weeks because I sent my pictures and school certificates in a week after my final interview so I think its 6 weeks from that point.

Its so difficult because the longer you wait the more excited and the more you end up wanting it!!! Really...it's just cruel!!!

Just keep me posted on what you do or hear....you never know we might end up having the same DOJ!!! Obviously Im looking on the bright side here!!

sarahbusta
22nd Dec 2008, 13:21
hey guys,

i found out from an agency who worked for emirates that im not on the list of who are selected. i told them i didnt get a NO email from them yet and told me to wait coz their busy. my friend who i went with for the FI got the email already last week. im confused i didnt hear anything from emirates yet. maybe they will email me after 6 weeks...i hope they are considering tho! i need the job so bad :(

chinoA, my facebook mate :) have u called them already?

made_in_ukraine
22nd Dec 2008, 14:12
Hey ChinoA,

Sorry to hear about this! I find it somewhat strange that it takes them so long to get back to you with the results Your file was complete at the time of the final interview, right?

I was sort of relieved to get my No email last week. As much as I was sad for that one day, I am glad I have the decision now and can have holidays without any thinking... Hope, all will work out for you!

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all!

Off to Berlin with my favorite LH (and then will try for QR and EY)....

Lia Kohl
22nd Dec 2008, 14:20
I rented a phone that works in HK and guess what? Everyone is calling me but Emirates!

Made in Ukraine, sorry to hear that you got a NO email.

I have another friend who went to the FI in Osaka on November 28th as well and she got her NO today.

Don't know if it is a good sign for me or not

Forgot to mention that I'm going back to Japan Wednesday.

made_in_ukraine
22nd Dec 2008, 16:34
Hey Aline,

I hope you are having nice time in Hong Kong. So, you have not heard from EK as of today? Well, this may be a good sign. Two of my friends got their calls already, and another girl got her NO email last Wednesday, on the same day when I did mine. She was really devastated, but for me it was not that bad (I am still waiting for my "Oh my God, I failed"-moment to come (if it ever will...). I am not taking it way too seriously. They did not want me - its their choice and their decision. And while I do not necessarily like it, I respect it and will give THEM another chance to hire me next year (provided nothing better comes along by then).

Have a great time in HK and catch up with you later...

S.

sarahbusta
22nd Dec 2008, 16:45
hey you, have fun on ur holidays. havent heard anything from emirates after i found out im not on the list from the agency. its really weird or maybe i'll get it after 6 weeks

wish_2_fly
22nd Dec 2008, 22:44
Honestly just keep waiting and keep positive.....I dont think there is any logic to it. Why would they keep all the NO's waiting till the 6th week....it would be easier to do a mass email and get it over with. I think its just down to when they get round to your file.

I think its slightly different procedures in different countries but I had my open day and final interview in Glasgow and then was asked to send professional pictures and schooling certificates to an address in London and from there they would be sent off to Dubai. All the forms i filled in and everything that went into my file had no details on it to say i had attended the open day in Glasgow UK so I dont think they look at everyones in order. They all get mixed together....people from UK, New York, Manilla and so on........So I dont think it really matters if you wait 2 weeks or 8 weeks and whether it means you get a YES or a NO.

At the end of the day you are either right or wrong for the job.....of course we are all hoping we are right for the job!!!!

For all you guys that applied through agencies...I would still contact Emirates to see.............you never know.......and you have nothing to lose!!! Go for it.

Plus I think with it being over christmas and NY things may take a lot longer. I have been reading the posts and a lot of people who have called because no one has contacted them have been told they hae been successful and someone just forgot to contact them!! So its not necessarily bad news.....

Keep Positive guys.....your making me depressed!!!

anuta96
23rd Dec 2008, 07:37
:eek::eek: i just came to dubai and got a letter with invitation at the preliminary interview 24th at 7.30 am...it means tomorrow...:uhoh: i planed to have at least 1 day rest after 20 hours trip...now trying to collect my thoughts:ugh:...and to read smth usefull here:}
Thanks to all for information what u post here!!!:D

waitingforemirates
23rd Dec 2008, 14:31
Hello everyone.

I received the email after the golden call. We are supposed to fill up the online joiners form. However, I was stuck at the Visa details because we do not have the information! Resulted in the insufficient info to complete the whole form.

Can anyone help me on this, please?:sad:

Montreal76
23rd Dec 2008, 15:18
Finally in Dubai...for you guys waiting, you wont beleive how busy EK is ! Makes sense why we only get calls from them when its really necessary for them ! Patience. The group before me had 75 new joiners and mine 70, so just imagine the work that goes into organising this...

I am in temporary accomodation and so are a lot of new joiners, hotel-appartements very big and comfy ! Internet is a drag :(

CarineA hurry up will you :)

Good luck to all

CarineA
23rd Dec 2008, 17:20
Hiiii!!!!

I know, I'll hurry, one more week my friend. I cannot wait to see you!
Thanks for writting us, its great to have new....and I appreciate you posted about accomodation...you know just how much I am curious about accomodation! I cant wait to find out where we live.

When you get a chance, let us know how the training is going! I wish you all the best,

lookin forward to see you!

xoxox

CarineA
24th Dec 2008, 05:12
Hi,
actually Montreal76n and I already have a blog haha
I wont give you his blog adress because maybe he doesnt want me to publicly publish it on this thread but you can find it on my fave blog list on my blog.

please anyone of you on this thread that wants to read my blog, you are more than welcome. The website wont let me write the full adress it will intentionnally delete the last letters but you guess it is:

http://www.dubdubcarine

then its ******** dot com

hahahah
so here it is you can type this.

Please feel free to follow it. Now its not that interesting cause I am still home in Canada. But as soon as I get to Dubai next week -and as soon as I can access internet, which I have to, to keep in touch with my mom- awwwww :) I will post everything on my blog, pictures of the appartment, how the training goes, week by week, my impressions of Dubai, friends I make etc...

plus on my blog you can find a lot of other linkd to blogs from Ek crew and other soon to be cabin crew from emirates airlines....so it can answer some of your questions.

You can find Montreal 76 blog too ;)

take care

Merry Xmas to all those that celebrate it!
hugs
CarineA

deon85
24th Dec 2008, 12:11
Ok here we go..

I finally got the last confirmation email from emirates telling me to resign from my current employer!!! DOJ is now on the 30'th Jan
So happy that is all sorted...I can fly back to south africa tomorrow without any stress...

Montreal you better show me everything when I get there!!!

MERRY XMAS!!! Its christmas here in aus now!

Deon

**if anyone has ANY questions regarding joining please dont hesitate to ask! We all had to go through the same thing!!

wish_2_fly
25th Dec 2008, 11:31
Hey Everyone......

Yes!!! I got my golden call!! How is that for the best Christmas present ever!! My DOJ is the 13th February!!! So I wont even get to spend Valentines day with my boyfriend.....Boo! But I will get over it.

The guy who called me advised they had a massive backlog of calls to be made and sorry for making me wait so long (I waited about 5 weeks). So dont worry everyone who is waiting.....your calls are coming!!!

If anyone has the same DOJ....let me know

x

pinkylicious
25th Dec 2008, 12:29
hey hey!!
Congrats!!
Hopefully I'll get my call soon!!

sarahbusta
25th Dec 2008, 16:11
wish2fly...congrats to u! i know im not on the list according to the agency but i just find it weird that i didnt get an email from emirates....yet... im still hoping tho but im thinking i only have a small chance

chinoA... have u called them? u need to call them. its been six weeks over

wish_2_fly
25th Dec 2008, 18:53
Guys!!

Seriously you guys....get on the phone.....you have nothing to lose!!

You could end up living the dream!!

xxx

sfjana
25th Dec 2008, 23:04
Hey Guys!
I've been to the open day in Galway Dec 4th. I'm still waiting for the golden call. I'm freaking out!!! I'm waiting for 4 weeks now.
During the interview I told them that I couldn't send my college certificate. I lost it before I come to Ireland. And that my family (in Brazil, I am Brazilian leaving in Ireland for a year) is going to order a new one, but it takes a while to be ready.
The interviewer said that was ok, but that is mandatory to bring it to Dubai. I told that it would be ready by that time.
And here I am, wondering if they are still waiting for my certificate to call me or not. What do you guys think? Should I call them and ask?
So sorry for my confusing post!:sad:

CarineA
26th Dec 2008, 01:01
Congratulations to both of you. very happy for you, it is awesome.
Deon, I have a friend from Montreal joining the same DOJ as you on the 30th!
I am leaving in 6 days haaaaa so exciting. havent packed yet hahaha

merry xmas to all

deon85
26th Dec 2008, 01:56
Thanks CarineA!
Let me know who your friend is and hopefully we will be in the same training group then. A girl from the FI group here in sydney will be in your group. She is lovely!! :ok:

I know re the packing. I'll be back in Sydney for 2 weeks only then im going to have to try and get sorted. will probably end up throwing away half of my room! hehe Wish my new TV could go though :sad:

nakks
26th Dec 2008, 14:29
you must be having the best xmass ever!!! am still waiting :confused: hope i get the good news before the new year clocks in.... am quite nervous.

Happy Holidays Everyone:)

sarahbusta
26th Dec 2008, 17:51
wish2fly...i'll call them when its 6 weeks and no info from them yet. thats the plan coz i know im not on the list and just wait for 2 more weeks.

nakks, howlong have u been waiting? good luck to us and to everyone

deon85
26th Dec 2008, 19:03
yes it kinda was! i also managed to have a 34 hour xmas by flying from australia to south africa! hehe

Chino I would definately call Ek and find out whats going on. Its unfair putting your life on hold. Do they have all the required paperwork from you?

Lia Kohl
27th Dec 2008, 01:12
Back from Hong Kong, no call on my mobile specially rented to take it with me on the trip.

My roommate said that there was a call unidentified at home on 24th afternoon - he wasn't at home and Mr(s) Misterious didn't leave a voice message.

I'm in the same situation of sfjana. I told them at the FI (Osaka Nov 28th) that I was able to provide my high school certificate only in January and the interviewer said it was ok and that I would hear back from them after 3 weeks. And I'm also Brazilian living in overseas :p

Anyhow, I just sent the casual & ppt pics last week (arrived in DXB around 16 or 17th), but I'm confused because I tried to acess my cabin crew application on Emirates Careers website by checking the option Uptade/Complete your Cabin Crew Application and guess what? The site displays "You cannot update your status now. You can do it after your acceptance of our offer"

Does it means I passed the FI?

If Santa didn't make it in time to Christmas, I wouldn't mind getting my present in my birthday (January 8th) though. :}

sarahbusta
27th Dec 2008, 05:26
hi there, did u provide your Ek refernce no. on your FI? is it necessary to submit an application through internet as well? i had mine but i didnt provide it on FI. should i update it?

Lia Kohl
27th Dec 2008, 05:56
Hi Sara!
I didnt provide my EK reference no in the FI, I was asked to bring 2 casual photos, 6 ppt photos, one full lenght photo in business atire (on the picture I brought to the first screening I had my legs crossed, thats why they requested new pictures) and my high school diploma.

I was just curious if I really didn't mistyped my phone numbers so I tried to check my online application and got that message.

sarahbusta
27th Dec 2008, 06:19
oh same here on FI. i had started the application before the FI but i didnt have time to finish it so i didnt provide the EK ref no. to them. now i just updated and submitted my application. my story here is i found out from the agency that works with emirates that im not on the list of who are selected. my friend got the NO email already and nothing from me...yet. its been 4 weeks for me now.

i hope they're considering coz they wont make u wait for long if they dont want u. my plan is if i dont hear from them after 6 weeks, i'll call them. good luck to U! i hope u get the call soon :)

sfjana
27th Dec 2008, 16:54
Hey sarahbusta, is this list private? I mean, if I contact this agency would they give me the information of my situation?
Many thanks:ok:

sarahbusta
27th Dec 2008, 18:30
depends if they want to tell you. u can ask them but they will ask u how did u know about the list. im not on the list but no email from emirates. its weird...if it is a NO then they can just send me the email and not make me wait. i have a small chance and still hoping tho :(
ask the agent who works with emirates in ur country...how long have u been waiting? goodl uck!

helfsich
28th Dec 2008, 04:21
A day off is one that is taken on ground in DXB without any duty whatsoever between 0001 hrs and 2359 hrs. So a 24 hr layover is not considered a day off.

When you operate a flight out of DXB you are expected to operate the flight back. You can't chop up your roster and not take days off simply to stay at destination longer. If that were the case it would leave some flights over-staffed and other flights understaffed, an absolute headache for scheduling.

gabidu
28th Dec 2008, 08:37
hey! I went to the open day in galway...I sent all the papers that I was missing and here I am still waiting....

ANYBODY AS WELL FROM GALWAY????

LuckyGreen
28th Dec 2008, 11:24
well, that's why i given up my FI.... donna want to confused mydelf~~i turly understand your feeling. btw, i am holding AUS GC. will changed to AUS passport this yr. will try again

rickysheng
28th Dec 2008, 11:32
Jan.4th 09,I'll take part in open day in Beijing~~~~~~~~
anyone come with me?

sfjana
28th Dec 2008, 16:28
I'm waiting for 4 weeks now and I don't know about any agent.:ugh: As far as I know we deal with Emirates people only. At least in Galway. Am I wrong?:confused:

gabidu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How are things?? When did you send your docs?

:)

Vix85
28th Dec 2008, 17:46
Hey I was at the Galway open day, it's been 4 weeks today since I had my final interview and still no word, been trying not to think about it but that doesn't happen sure! I just want to know now, the patience is wearing off haha.

sfjana
28th Dec 2008, 19:45
This is so weird. We were just a few. During my interview she told me that I would hear from them in 4 weeks, and nothing yet. I know that they are crazy busy and everything, but is so hard. :{
Hopefully we all are gonna have good news soon!!!;)

Dubai Bound
28th Dec 2008, 19:55
Hey guys, it will be 6 weeks for me in two days so I plan on calling if I don't hear but then.

I recently watched a movie called the secret after hearing about it from an awesome Brazilian girl in the same shoes as me and most of us. I would highly advise anyone to see it or read the book if you haven't already. Especially those waiting for the call. I changed my outlook and it keeps me positive everyday. It even helped me keep my mind off wondering so muh about what was going to happen with EK and doing this :ugh: to myself

I HIGHLY Reommend it. I wish everyone a very happy new year!

flylicious
28th Dec 2008, 23:16
Hi Chinoa, I've followed all posts here knowingn that you've been waiting long time, I wish you all the luck, good things happen to people waiting that long.Keep positive Chinoa :ok:

Regards,

flylicious

sfjana
29th Dec 2008, 01:55
Good luck! Good luck! Good luck!:ok:
All the best for you!!!!!!!

canadianboy23
29th Dec 2008, 02:03
Good luck to all of you that are waiting for the final call. I was so ecstatic when I got it... make sure though to realize that waiting and patience is also required after you get the golden call, and a loooong time it is. It is really amazing how long the process is and it can be rather draining. Keep active and don't think about it too much (it's hard!) and what will be, will be.

I'm still waiting to get confirmation of medicals and to start joining. Keep positive! :)

CarineA
29th Dec 2008, 02:30
Hello! I'm leaving for Dubai in 4 days and I still did not recieve my e ticket and visa info! :sad: oh well I guess I'll wake up with this in my inbox. So much suspense...untill the end. haha
Hopefully they did not forget about me:bored: hehe
have a good day

helfsich
29th Dec 2008, 06:04
You should get an email about 2 days before the departure date with the e-ticket, visa and other info. I actually got mine the day before, so I wouldn't stress too much. Just enjoy the time home while you can :-)

deon85
29th Dec 2008, 09:09
Dont they realise how stressfull this waiting can be!
Couldnt they get someone else to look at it for you?

I also totally agree with what canadianboy is saying!
This whole waiting thing doesnt end untill you actually get there.. I couldnt make up my mind which waiting was worse.. the golden call or final medical approvals after spending all your xmas savings to get it done!! hehe

But i've learned not to stress by now..... untill 4 days prior and no eticket! hehe;)

D

pinkylicious
29th Dec 2008, 09:23
Man, i've been waiting for sooo long and now that i'm calling them..i can't get through!!
The operators tell me to try in a lttle while!
i mean it's soo frustrating...
plus they tell me to hold on and the call gets transferred to the voicemail and u hav to leave a message and the voicemail is full..of course im not gonna leave jus a message and just wait, i wanna SPEAK to them and know finally where i'm standing!!

and ppl tell me that all airline companies are cutting down on recruiting new members and what is that supposed to mean: that i should hold back and not try to call just bcos the world is in financial crisis??:ugh::suspect:

DAMN!!

I hav never been so angry and impatient in my whole life...
Talk about it....:mad:

CarineA
29th Dec 2008, 19:15
I got my e-ticket and visa this morning!
I am going to fly from Montreal to JFK and from JFK to Dubai on the A380! I am so excited to sit on that flight, this aircraft is so huge!!!!!!

I am a bit worried because I have 1h45 minutes between both flights and a lot of flights are delayed lately because of bad weather conditions. Hopefully its not late, I cross my fingers.

Montreal76 missed his connexion last time because of this exact problem with the exact same flight itinerary!

Pinkylicious, dont give up girl. I am sure you'll talk with someone soon, have you checked the time difference from where you live, because of the opening hours and stuff! good luck with everything!!!! let me know how it goes!

I will let you know how it goes over there when I get access to internet!:ok:

xoxo

CarineA

wish_2_fly
29th Dec 2008, 20:48
Hey Guys,

ChinoA - thats so bad that they are keeping you waiting longer!!! At least you know they do look at the individual files!! Dont worry I think your in!! You definitely deserve a medal for waiting!!

CarineA - OMG I bet you cant believe that the time has come!!! Im trying to get my medicals done at the mo but its a nightmare with the holidays!! How long did they take to come back to you after you sent your medicals?

Hang in there everyone....your calls will come!!

Dubai Bound
30th Dec 2008, 03:54
6 weeks and now they tell me I have to wait 2 more.....