View Full Version : Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Speedbird1
11th Oct 2009, 19:49
Hi All,

Thanks for your reply snam. Although the B777 would be great to get, an interview right now would be a great result. 3 weeks and waiting

:ok:

Baron buzz
11th Oct 2009, 21:06
I have similar experience to you Speedbird 1, applied about a month ago and haven't heard anything yet. Like you, I would appreciate even a rejection letter right now!!

kiwi78
12th Oct 2009, 08:16
I applied early September and got an invite last week, it took about 6 wks.:)

NEDude
12th Oct 2009, 09:29
Anyone know how long it takes to get the travel arrangements? I received the invite for mid Novemeber a few weeks ago and gave them a Qatar city I will need travel from. They said they would get back with the travel information but nothing as of yet. Just want to know when I need to worry.

On another note, I understand that most of the time you will tend to be assigned to the make of fleet you have experience in - ie. Boeing guys wll go to 777, Airbus guys will get Airbus. But on the Airbus side do they stick you with the type you have flown? My experience in on the A320, but could I get A330/340?

Speedbird1
12th Oct 2009, 10:50
Baron Buzz-Hang in there.Hopefully something (Positive) will be coming our way soon!

Snam- Yes im currently in a low cost carrier based in Stansted. i`m Sure you`ll figure it out!haha- did i mention i travel to ireland quite a bit!

Valdemort
12th Oct 2009, 14:48
Speedbird

Don't worry QR is very short of instructors and the number of applications are very high , also they a short of FOs .
You'll be called as sooner as U expect .
Good luck ...

Cenrifugel
12th Oct 2009, 15:39
Hi guys, i'm also still waiting patiently on any news. I'm on about 4000hrs total, 2000hrs jet above 40 000kg's. Only 500 on 737-800's though. Keeping my fingers crossed.:ok:

widebody300er
12th Oct 2009, 17:02
NEDude..
I received all my travel arrangements exactly two weeks before my interview..:ok:

Speedbird1
12th Oct 2009, 19:01
Thanks Valdemort, Fills me with much needed optimism.

Best of luck to all who have applied, those invited for interview and those waiting for a response. Fingers crossed for you all

Baron buzz
12th Oct 2009, 19:45
SNAM, not a low cost no, but a certain holiday airline soon to be making lots of redundancies.....

Cheers for the info, I feel a bit better that it takes 6+ weeks to hear back. I would very much like to be given the opportunity for interview.

Good luck to all who have been invited so far:ok:

PUPY 199
13th Oct 2009, 14:49
Need to know and nice to know :

Need to know is that :
2 Capt where in jail in Doah and no one come to help them ( long time a go )
1 F/o still in jail in Doha no one from airline come to visit and ask if he is guilty or not .
No human rights in Qatar ( CEO can do what ever he like )
Terminations are every day event
Nice to know :
salary 26500 from Capt and 18000 fro F/O
nice new B777 every month operated by unhappy crew who repoerts each other

wingbar
13th Oct 2009, 15:22
Hi guys,

I have just submitted my application via e-mail around 5 days ago.
Reading through the many threads on this subject I have come to varying conclusions about the time some are waiting to get a response.
What I wanted to know was, does anybody who's been successful at selection, or, had an interview think it's any better mailing it via snail mail as well?

Best regards

WB

manazir66
13th Oct 2009, 15:36
I dont know this for sure but, I mailed my application via FedEx and it worked compare to my buddy who emailed it and he is still waiting for his reply. but then again I know ppl did get an interview by just emailing the application. If I were you I would do both mail and email.
GoodLuck

kiwi78
13th Oct 2009, 16:20
I sent mine registered mail and have received an invitation, send it both ways.:)

Baron buzz
13th Oct 2009, 16:39
What experience did you guys have?

I have Boeing 757/767 time, but no Airbus or 777....yet!!

wingbar
13th Oct 2009, 18:52
Hi Guys, thankyou for all your response, m66 thankyou for that info, I may well mail it as well then in that case.
I'll keep you all posted as to when I get a response!
Regards Wb

varigflier
13th Oct 2009, 23:31
I emailed mine and it took close to 1.5 months to get an invitation.

NoJoke
14th Oct 2009, 01:51
I think you hit the nail on the head. Maximum spread on ALL channels may work.

You Australians know everything. :}

NJ. :D

inmigrante
14th Oct 2009, 15:25
How much the salary in Dolars.Any news about the interview.
Thanks a lots:ok:

Aerodmb
14th Oct 2009, 23:19
1.5 month wait for interview invite, no experience on fleet, curious as to which aircraft might be offered if hired. Sent app Fedex.

NEDude
14th Oct 2009, 23:24
Sent my app in early Septmber via US postal service. Received invite for November interview before Sept 30th.

What currency do they pay you in? Do you have a choice?

Royalblue
15th Oct 2009, 03:03
Congratulations to everybody who got invited. Now its time to get to the point guys...... Give some more info about the interview!!!:ok:

jmc08
15th Oct 2009, 11:35
Hi Everyone!!! I got a job interview on December 7, any information or anyone else who is going to doha the same day!!!

Regards

loc22550
15th Oct 2009, 13:25
NEdude:
They pay you in Qatari riyal: no choice.
But if you are from US..lucky you, because the riyal is peg to U$ at a fix rate:
1U$=3.65 QR...so you will not be affected by the Crash of the Qatari riyal(following the U$)...like a lot of us here!
Huge lost for some of us...!:ugh:Not fair IMHO..but nothing done so far by the company to protect us against this fluctuation....(ERP is a joke).

NEDude
15th Oct 2009, 14:21
Hey guys, thanks for all of the info thus far.

Some more questions.

Aside from "Ace The Technical Pilot Interview" and following some of the links to the JAR testing questions, what else is good for the interview? Do they want you to know about the nation of Qatar, the history of the airline, stories from your flying past?

Approximately what is the "pass" rate? I know things like this change all the time, but any guess on the ratio of interviewees to job offers?

Third, assuming it goes well, how long from the interview to getting the good news, and how long from the good news to starting class, and how long from starting class to the first paycheck.

Thanks again to everyone.

Almendrudo
15th Oct 2009, 15:27
NEDude,
You took the words right out of my mouth. I have exactly the same doubts.
I would add that I sent my resume 1.5 months ago and so far I have no news from them. I have 4000TT, 1600 jet ( half corporate half airline ), no airbus experience.
I sent my resume via email.
:sad:

Enricodina
18th Oct 2009, 20:08
I am attending to the interview in Doha next month. Anyone got that date too? PM plz

Valdemort
19th Oct 2009, 06:10
Guys
Don't worry , QR r very short of FOs , the problem is not be able to interview the number they should .
I advise you guys to give a look in ETOPS regulations , AWOPS , RNAV , and some manuvers , like Windshear , EGPWS etc. Off course the Ace interview book.

Good luck ...:ok:

northern boy
19th Oct 2009, 12:09
Bit hit and miss IMHO. Applied by email and post at the start of September. Nothing at all, not even a PFO. I've got 5000hrs on Boeings including 4000 on Heavies and 8000 total. Congrats to all who were successful. I've given up waiting.

varigflier
19th Oct 2009, 13:05
You should be getting something soon. It takes an average of 6 weeks to get an invitation.

Scottish_Flyer
19th Oct 2009, 14:59
It takes an average of 6 weeks to get an invitation.

I think it could be right place right time....sent mine second time round via dhl, so tracked it all the way to somebody in HR who signed for it and recieved a good email 8 days later! This was for a december invite. Could be they make the decisions at a certain time in the month. Did send a app via Royal Mail but I think it is still stuck in Manchester! 8 weeks later....gotta love the UK's mail system!

Onward to the interview and cheers for all the info!

northern boy
19th Oct 2009, 16:14
I'm not having much in the way of luck these days. Oh well Too late now.

Thank you to the post office. Forgive me if I don't send an Xmas card.

Maybe I could get a temporary job in the sorting office. I hear there will be vacancies there soon:rolleyes:

mauuuus
20th Oct 2009, 15:20
Greetings all,
I understand that in Doha the business hours are different for government entities, Banks, and Post Office, even restaurants. I would like to know what are the business hours of Qatar Airways and what is the best time to call them. Thank you beforehand for the info.
PS Any of you lads invited for the first week on Nov.-Post me

jmc08
21st Oct 2009, 11:48
Could you please tell me, How was your job interview???

Regards,:rolleyes:

FABIO84
22nd Oct 2009, 18:54
Hi jmc08 I'll be there the 7th of december. I'm looking around to try to understand how the selection will be! I hope to hear you with any news about that!bye

3dimsims
23rd Oct 2009, 02:14
Hi Guys,

Have an interview invite aswell for the end of Nov. Good luck to all those who are waiting.

Any information regarding the interview process would be appreciated.

Regards

Spirit1
23rd Oct 2009, 08:28
Ok guys
Just a friendly advise:)

Don’t any of your read the thread: Human Rights At Qatar Airways.
Read it.
Let your wife read it.
Let all your relatives read it.
And then ask them if they think it’s a good idea to enter this mad house.:eek:

Don’t only think about yourself and your career.
Don’t do the same mistake as many of us down here did.
95% of all the bull **** you read about QA is facts.
Read the thread: Human Rights At Qatar Airways.
Fly safe and don’t forget you lovely family.:ok:

NEDude
24th Oct 2009, 18:24
Thank you for the advise Spirit1.

With all due respect however, why do I run across people who have a vastly different experience than you? And why is it when you read the internet message boards, EVERY airline in the world is a terrible place to work?

Again I do not want to come across as ungrateful for the input you provide here. But there are about four or five of you here who are very vocal about how bad it is there. I know four guys I call and email on a regular basis who work there, and their experience is very different than what you guys communicate on here.

As a divorced and unemployed pilot, and Qatar being the only place that I have an interview right now, it seems a lot better than my alternatives, even if you guys are correct.

broompusher
25th Oct 2009, 20:19
I have a question I'm hoping someone here can help me with. I applied at QR in August 2008 and received a pdf letter from the HR dept. saying that I had been shortlisted into the interview pool and would be contacted for an interview in the future. It has now been over a year (yes I have sent in c.v. updates). There was mention a while back that they had problems with there resume pool? Do I need to re apply? I have emailed a query to QR's HR dept, however, no reply.

I am a CRJ pilot in the 3100hr TT range, I would imagine that I would be around the bottom of the c.v. pool but I would like to know where I stand and what the status of my application is/ (was?).

Recommended actions?

Thanks in advance.

Blacksteel7
26th Oct 2009, 05:48
May be Spirit1 is right. There are a lot of nasty things here. But for now it is a good choice. Join the club and good luck.
All the best! ;)

PUPY 199
26th Oct 2009, 10:58
You think if you are devorced that you will have fun in QR ? Try it out and you will have CEO on your neck ( it is his airline they are his crew)

Unmployed it is a bad sitiuation i can understand it . Well join and see for your self . It is all fine till you get reported as they say it does not matter how you do your job it just matter who go in 9 floor and talk about others . What do you think why QR has so many threads on PPRUNE ?
No job sure get one but we told you so mate dont say you didnt know .
And plz ask dfro 160 ACN ( air crew noticess) which will tell you where you are alowed to step and where you are not otherwise buy a vaselin .

NEDude
26th Oct 2009, 16:53
Who ever said anything about "fun". I certainly did not. I am a Mormon, there are quite a few limits on the "fun" I can have - can't even do the alcohol thing.

But I am divorced so I do not need to worry about my family having to adapt to life in Qatar. That is the point I was getting at.

Just got an email from a friend over there and his biggest complaint was it is hard to get back to the USA much other than vacations. He occupies his time by working as much as possible. That would be my plan as well - work hard, make money and pay off debts. Perhaps learn a new language or two, or some other skill, during my down times. I have no interest in going out and partying or running around with cabin crew.

Elifant
27th Oct 2009, 01:34
Hallo

I have applied in August 2009. I have been told by QA that they are not interviewing any DEC untill Jan or Feb next year. Now is this true or is it just a way of telling me that I wont be invited ?

Any up date on DEC position is welcome

Sky Dancer
27th Oct 2009, 03:11
Now the all important question..IS IT WORTH WORKING FOR QR FOR THE LONG TERM ?:ok:

loc22550
27th Oct 2009, 05:02
IMHO there is no advantage! A captain with 20 years experience in QR will have the same salary as a captain with 5 years experience in QR...! (No increase after 4 years seniority in the respective grade..Is this normal for a so called 5 stars airline....??Have a look at EK,AA,EY.....!
NO PENSION plan(promised by our CEO ..6..years AGO!!!!!), so again no benefit for a long term carrier.No Bonus.
The only benefit i can see is on the End of service benefit, based on the seniority in the company! thats it!
Cheers.

Captain Ned Kelly
27th Oct 2009, 11:29
The Goat doesn’t care if you have 20 years experience or 1 year in QR. Actually in this airline they don't care if you have 20 years or 1 year of previous experience ( all fleet has insurance). The Goat just care about today. Tomorrow will be another day. And the Goat is just waiting for your resignation or he will discharge you if he doesn’t need you anymore. This is normal for a so called 5 stars airline. It is simple and true. :E

P.S. QTR is a 5 starts airline for passengers not for Flight Deck crew. Actually as all private company. :}

ALL THE BEST!

Monur
27th Oct 2009, 12:09
I have applied in August 2009. I have been told by QA that they are not interviewing any DEC untill Jan or Feb next year.
I applied for a DEC position in August and I have had no reply at all!

menikos
27th Oct 2009, 17:39
Those who are complaining, FEEL FREE TO LEAVE

RJ900NG
27th Oct 2009, 22:30
Hi congrads on the interview and you are right hi whats was your back ground cos i also wont to apply but not sure if i can get an interview... any info will help thanks

NEDude
27th Oct 2009, 23:34
Anyone willing to comment on the current timetable following the interview?

How long after interviewto find out?
How long after finding out to start?

Did get an answer to the pay question from one of my friends over there. For those interested - the company will advance you one half of your monthly guarentee on day one. If you start near the beginning of a month, you will get a paycheck at the end of that month.

QR UNITED 2009
28th Oct 2009, 09:34
FEEL FREE TO LEAVE MENIKOS ones you get it !

Nice post "feel free to leave " the same words CEO say on every meeting . Menikos are you deep inside as well ?

Captain Oryx
28th Oct 2009, 11:11
NE Dude-2-4 weeks after interview/sim eval is the normal length of time for notification. You will be asked for additional info and at some point given for class date. If you are proactive and call, you may even get a choice.

Monur/Eifant- Pilot recruitment is not screening DEC's until next year. (Note: when recruitment refers to "screening" they are refering to the time when they first look at applications. The actual interview "screening" comes later.) I was told that next summer was a realistic time frame for the next DEC hires.

The pay raise increment has been discussed ad nauseum, you can use the search function to see the "comments".

Disclaimer- The above information is only accurate on the day I heard it. Things change daily. most for the good, IMO. Others on this board, obviously, have a different opinion.

Good luck!:ok:

davide84
28th Oct 2009, 11:48
HI guys, does anybody knows how is going to be the intervew in Qatar?
do they pay you the positioning as well for the interview-sim?
thanks a lot
davide

squissh
29th Oct 2009, 14:00
anyone coming?

squissh

JABAL
29th Oct 2009, 18:27
LOC22550 you seem unhappy with QR judgeing from all your post, I am just wondering, :confused: if this outfit is so bad why not look elsewhere brother :ok: life is too short dude:sad:

loc22550
30th Oct 2009, 06:55
Jabal ..there was a question asked by Sky dancer :...and IMHO i just answered the question quoting&relating TRUE FACT.Anything wrong in what i said..just tell me ....?
Yes Q.R. give me a job,yes Q.R. give me a salary every month...Does it mean Q.R. is the best airline to work for,Does it mean in Q.R. everythink is good&greatand that we are not allowed to discuss any issue...: NO.

menikos
30th Oct 2009, 14:08
Once again if you are not happy with your current situation you can leave the company, no one forced you to come.

I can understand that it's not the best airline, many problems to solve but at least you have a cockpit and for the time being it's not so bad.

My advice be patient and when the grass will be greener elsewhere give it a try.

All the best.

Beavis and Butthead
31st Oct 2009, 12:48
Could anyone on the A320/A330 fleet comment on lifestyle, routes,roster, Doha living etc?

Capt Krunch
31st Oct 2009, 14:27
Butthead

do a search, it has already been covered thousands of times.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

JungleJett
3rd Nov 2009, 06:10
If you are married with a maximum of 2 children under the age of 10: Join.
If you are: -Single,
-Married with 3+ children,
-Married with 1+ teenager(s) STAY AWAY!!

It's that simple

mauuuus
4th Nov 2009, 02:03
Greetings all,
For some time the main subject is and has been “Do not come to Qatar” and some cases members have emotionally expressed their frustrations, but please understand this thread is to help pilots in the interview process and not to dissuade pilots who “had” to make the decision to fly and live in Doha.
We all come from different paths, to name a few: Some pilots had their patrimony slashed in half due to a sour divorce, others were forced to early retirement, and others need to put their kids through college or find themselves in mid life financial crisis and the few, the proud who do not have another place to go but Qatar.
As those fellow pilots who fly for Qatar Airways, we also “had” to make the decision to fly for Qatar Airways, and I am sure we will see unhappy faces and confront attitudes that are not according to our profession, but it is part of a new reality of aviation. (I started flying when we pilots were offered options of different meals from first class and were served in porcelain trays with silverware)
So please if you fellow collogues want to help us, share the frustrations but also provide a means to overcome those disappointments because we also have made our decision to fly for a living and to try to enjoy our profession.
And please share the tips, advice, suggestions and comments to help us for the interview and evaluation.
And also, for those lads who have been invited for the interview, do not barge in and holler for the gouge or tips. Do some research in this thread.
Happy trails,

Blacksteel7
4th Nov 2009, 04:20
Very nice! Indeed. :D

littlejet
4th Nov 2009, 09:59
I once ignored the pprune threads when I was joining an Asian carrier.
Ignoring it was the worst mistake I ever made.
It all proved true. The disrespect, frequent contract breaching , salary reduction just to name a few.
And the number of complaints were not as half as with this place.
It completely stalled my career as I was stuck with the bond and when it was over I had nowhere to go.
In the meantime all my friends and former colleagues moved to a higher management positions but could not help me as their outfits closed the recruitment doors. Finally I found something just as an escape slide and now I am hovering on the bottom of the seniority list waiting for my industry upturn.
Even if I loose my flying job I would rather do something else, waiting for a better option then jump into similar outfit and continue my misery.

My two cents

L.

Schickfuss
4th Nov 2009, 12:10
I did the interview last week ,50 questions ,my test was number 11 ,TODA?ASDA?actions at V1 with an engine failure,virga ,where is hail most encounter?temperature at the troposphere? what does the blood transports? if you loose the rwy while circling what do you do?CAT I MINS mda and rvr,altocumulus castellatus are indication of? with ISA what is the temp at 10000? what happens if you move cg from fwd to aft?what happens to a clogged pitot tube while you descend ? TAS and mach what happens in a descend ? after a short rest the interview ,about qatar? why qatar ? demandig captain ? have someone misinterpret you ? means of effective communications on the cockpit .then the sim was in A330 6 survivors ,TO rwy 27L heathrow ,2 ILS no AP/AT/FD ,after all they tell us to wait 2 weeks ,but I just received the mail that I have failed so good luck to everybody ongoing

Captain Oryx
4th Nov 2009, 16:26
And you know this, how?

broompusher
4th Nov 2009, 18:09
To pose this question once more. Looking for an answer from anybody in the know.

"I have a question I'm hoping someone here can help me with. I applied at QR in August 2008 and received a pdf letter from the HR dept. saying that I had been shortlisted into the interview pool and would be contacted for an interview in the future. It has now been over a year (yes I have sent in c.v. updates). There was mention a while back that they had problems with there resume pool? Do I need to re apply? I have emailed a query to QR's HR dept, however, no reply.

I am a CRJ pilot in the 3100hr TT range, I would imagine that I would be around the bottom of the c.v. pool but I would like to know where I stand and what the status of my application is/ (was?).

Recommended actions?

Thanks in advance."

ICARO34x
4th Nov 2009, 19:12
Thank U Schickfuss for the HELP and the good mood,I´m close to an interview and helps a lot .:ok:
To the rest which put a lot of :mad: on the company,if you don´t like just...leave,is that easy.
But after that,please pretty please ,tell us to which paradise are you going ,just to apply directly there and save us all the hell waiting us at Doha.

mauuuus
5th Nov 2009, 13:40
For those who are interested in information of living in Doha and its culture. Attached is a hyperlink of general information of practical guide of living in Doha. ( All contact numbers have been deleted at the institutions request)
http://www.cmu.edu/hr/international/forms/practicalguide.pdf

Black Stain
5th Nov 2009, 13:45
No matter how mad you get, dont ever give the bird to anyone in Qatar, especially in the simulator. Is illegal by emiri decree, will start a riot and straight to jail for you :)

mauuuus
5th Nov 2009, 14:09
FMCOVERHEAT,
Congratulations in your achievement.
If I may I would like to ask some additional information about your experience and how you prepared yourself for the interview.
Please let me shoot some questions:
How long did you get prepared for the interview?
What books or sources of study did you rely on to get prepared?
Were there more JAR or FAA questions?
Were there any questions about SOPS, Aircraft systems?
Any questions about PANOPS, TERPS, ICAO Doc. 8168, 4444?
Were there any trick questions? Multiple answers? Straight Forward?
During the interview,
Where there any personal questions about your experiences, background, or just direct to tec. Questions.
Did the lady of HR ask any questions?
During the sim session,
Did they expect you to do all CRM, Crew, gate briefings Preflights checklists etc?
Was the sim profile the same as they handed out?
General questions,
What was the success rate of your class?
How was the environment in general?
And finally,
Any tips, advice, comments, suggestions?
Thank you beforehand for the information. Greatly appreciated.

Deske1
6th Nov 2009, 18:09
Just one question:

Do You have to apply for an exit permission to QR in case of a privat travel?

If so,usually is it granted or so,so?

Thank You!

crosscust
6th Nov 2009, 18:49
FMC Overheat: Was the offer for a DEC or an FO? Thanks. Just wondering what they're interviewing for.

Capt Krunch
7th Nov 2009, 04:02
Deske1

YES. every one sponsored in this country needs an exit permit authorized by the sponsor (employer).
Qatar Airways and a very few other companies are allowed Multi Exit Permits. this is only available to Flight Deck personal. it will cost 500QR and valid for 1 year with no limit on your exits. BUT the company holds the right to have this privilege revoked at anytime, it's as easy a just one phone call and your Multi Exit Permit is no longer valid. This is not a standard procedure and in all my time here I have only seen that happen a couple of times.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

ItsAjob
9th Nov 2009, 16:57
Can somebody tell me the what the whole package is for an FO?
I understand the basic is $6600

What about:

Sector pay
Relocation allowance
Housing allowance if you do not choose company accommodation.
Any other perks etc.

Fubaliera
9th Nov 2009, 19:32
Thats 6600 is your total take home pay. Doesnt matter what the pay is, QR/Doha is good for 2 groups of people, Arabic speakers and family wimps./married guys. If your single it sucks big time.
If you join now on 777 expect upgrade in 5 years on the 320
If you join now on 330 expect upgrade in 5 years on the 320
If you join on the 320 expect to stay 5 years on 320, upgrade on 320 and stay their at least another five years.
The divide and conquer policy is enforced and cockpit /cabin crew relations have a lot of room to improve.
Housing has a alot of room to improve.
Cockpit crew uniform quality could improve as well.
Staff travel system is very good
Pay is always on time
Aircrafts maintained very well, no pressure to fly if something isnt legal
Crew hotels are standard.
Good crews on the 319/20/21 fleet, 330 room to improve, 777 standard
Carmen bidding system is great, you can bid based on trip days, flt number, destination, check in/out and day off blocks.
For a middle eastern carrier its a great start, the only thing missing is it doesnt award trips based on seniority, if not a satifaction system which I really dont understand
If you come non typed rated, training is good, lots of resourses MFTD. Full motion sim that is awesome. Line training is a challenge but survivable
If you come type rated expect 2 warm up session and a lpc/opc. They do not teach and your expected to know the QR way, its almost like a new interview.
Hope this helps

Fubaliera
9th Nov 2009, 23:26
Company policy is upgrades on 320 only, and there will be a fleet freeze for at least 2 years, but no additional bond. In the past there were upgrades on the widebodys but since the 320 Capt started complaining they made all upgrades on 320 to push the 320 captains to the bigger fleets.
By the way nobody has transfered from the 320 fleet to anything else in over a year. All upgrades stopped as well until mid 2010. The airplane you get offerred in your congrats letter is not optional, its a take it or leave it deal. By the way in last 2 weeks out of approx 15 interviewies, only 1 or 2 guys got job offers.

loc22550
10th Nov 2009, 03:32
Fuba, i fully agree with with the seniority issue in QR....
No benefit ($) at all... 5years or 15 years in the company in the respective grade doesn't make any difference in salary!(well i guess we have to understand that QR is not interesting to keep people to long here...??:confused:
Is this normal....??

shneidertrophy
10th Nov 2009, 06:40
Duolabs...do you think it would be NORMAL to get an upgrade on an A330 or B777? Does it happen in your previous company?

Do you think it is safe to upgrade on an A330 or B777? Your exposure to "real life" as a new captain will be minimal on a long haul fleet. Less rotations, more redundancy of the aircraft, major airports etc...So you would become a crap captain!

Do you think it would be beneficial to you or the company to allow you to do an upgrade on A330 or B777? See above...NO!

The A320 might not be the EGO booster you are looking for, but believe me there is no better airplane to find yourself on but the A320 as a junior commander!

Its hard work, you will learn how to use an MEL, you do 30+sectors/month (6 on T7 and 12 maybe on 330) and most of all....you will maintain your grip with reality!

Only real problem the guys on 320 have is the pay! Because of high duty time but lower block time, the pay on average on the A320 fleet is about 10% lower compared to the heavy metal boys! And this is one of the disgraces of this company!

Everybody knows about this, incl. management, but nobody acts!

A320 fleet will be the biggest fleet in the airline with 40+ airplanes and the company needs this fleet, but everybody looks down on it! Why? typical ME mentality: mine is bigger than yours!:=

Captain Oryx
10th Nov 2009, 07:17
Schneidertrophy,

The "bigger the airplane the more it pays" idea is not unique to the ME. It is the cornerstone on which pay is determined in the US and some far east carriers.

As for the "safety" aspect of going right to left seat, it happens all the time in the US. The sacrifice made is not one of safety, rather pay, as the individual foregoes Captains pay on smaller equipment for seniority and quality of life.

I agree that the better route to go as far as professional development is the 320 as your first command.:ok:

Fubaliera
10th Nov 2009, 09:44
You cant factor all 600 in your numbers. There will be natural atrrition, s/o, guys who dont pass the interview, guys who dont pass the sim or line training for command., Ive even heard about a 330 f/o who said who wasnt interested in the 320 command and stayed on the 330 as a f/o.

azlee_19
10th Nov 2009, 15:47
hello guys

call me stupid, but i ve tried attaching the completely filled application form and sent it to my other email, all i got was a blank application form!

so how do u attach this form to your yahoomail with your pic attached too?

Az

shneidertrophy
11th Nov 2009, 04:43
@ Capt Oryx,

Some differences have to be pointed out.

"Big Airplane, Bigger pay" is not true. In most ME airlines all pilots receive the same basic salary and performance pay, regardless of airplane type. Same in QR. The difference is that on an A320 fleet for example your duty time by far exceeds your block time while on an Long Haul fleet duty and block will be very close to eachother. In EK they dont have the problem and EY has solved it by paying 320 drivers an extra allowance, the same way it used to be in QR.
In QR this allowance was cancelled in 2003 when all HOTSHOT managers went on to fly the bigger airplanes.

So in theory there is no difference in pay, in reality there is but we hvae no manager with the balls to solve the problem!

In other parts of the world a pilot indeed makes more money once he is on a bigger airplane, but this has NOTHING to do with the type he is on. It has to do with seniority. Flying an A340 in a European airline usually was a result of over 15 years seniority in that company. Same in Far East. CX highest paid pilots are on the 747 but to be a skipper on that airplane, you need seniority in the airline.

With regards to the upgrade. Right to left on an A330 or 777 is done by airlines without a smaller option available to them e.g. EK. All others, with a smaller fleet operating, will put their upgrades on the single aisle fleets.
This is part of the normal career path in real airlines. Overhere there is NO career path and their is NO respect for seniority!

But until now they realised that upgrades had to be done on A320 for reasons as mentioned above.

Now the rumour is back they might do R to L on 777 and 330 again! Not only is this dangerous, it is demoralizing for the battle troops on A320! Its a short term solution to a cancer growing inside QR and in the long run, it will only accelerate the cancer spreading.
:ugh:

Captain Oryx
11th Nov 2009, 06:54
ST,

In airlines with rates of pay determined by "weight/speed formula" (most US carriers) the larger the aircraft, the higher the pay rate. The other part of the formula is pilot seniority. The more senior the pilot the greater his/her opportunity to hold a position on a higher paying piece of equipment. To further confuse the issue the pay rates are increased year over year in accordance with the pilot's longevity.

You mention rates of pay determined by longevity and the airlines that employ that process. One is not better than the other they are just a little different.

I do not see any inherent safety issue in movement from right to left seat on a particular airplane, rather it is one of personal preference. I do agree that it is better to start your command career in a short/medium haul a/c rather than long haul.

loc22550
11th Nov 2009, 07:20
Shneider...Let's call back the 320 special allowance we used to have (1500QR/month) in the old good time...and with the inflation should be at least 2000QR/month today..!:}.
We(320 taxi driver) are not paid to sleep half of the flight time like the 777 drivers on ULR..
We definitely deserve it !!

Captain Ned Kelly
11th Nov 2009, 07:38
"R to L on 777 and 330 again! Not only is this dangerous". All fleet has insurance.:E
"it is demoralizing for the battle troops on A320". The Goat doesn't care.:}
Sorry but it is true. Indeed!
Go in peace.

shneidertrophy
11th Nov 2009, 10:04
Capt. Oryx,

In Airlines with "speed/weight" salary formulas, nobody ever jumps the que.

You join as a junior FO, after 15 years or so you will be a Capt on EMB145 or, if lucky, on 737 or 320. 10 years later you might get a left seat on a 767/777 or 330 and you will start earning the big bucks.

Nothing wrong with that as it is called a career plan.

In QR one can be flying for 10 years, working his butt of on the A320 while tomorrow a DEC can come in with 737 experience (got his command by luck in a dodgy airline somewhere) and he can be given a left seat on the 777.

Instantly he will make more money than the other one does, even though the second one has the same function/grade and he had to jump all the loops (and believe me, many loops exist here) to get where he is.

Do you think that is fair?

There is no use in comparing apples with bananas mate! The system sucks overhere and you know it. Just remember that, because you might have been lucky when joining now on 777, tomorrow you might find yourself in a different position with guys jumping over your head, making more money than you do just because...Lets see how you talk then!

Ned, you are right. The goat does not give a damn. I just wanted to make sure people here realize that!

jamoss
11th Nov 2009, 10:33
hey squissh,
how did it go? was there anything unexpected on the test or the sim? I'm going out the beginning of Dec and still not possitive what to study. Should I just stick with the JAA ATPL?
cheers

Deske1
11th Nov 2009, 10:37
Whats the exact meaning of these?

-Utility allowance.
-Meal Allowance whilst on layovers

Also,how many days of Annual Leave provided?

Many thanks for the reply,there are no numbers on the website.

loc22550
11th Nov 2009, 10:54
Deske:
-Utility allowance (electricity,water): 300QR/month
-Meal allowance:For each layover you will recieve an allowance for breafkast,lunch.diner, depending on the schedule arrival time, and departure time from the hotel, and depending on the City you stay.(paid together with your salary).
-transport allowance 1500QR/month
-Annual leave :42 days/year.

Captain Ned Kelly
11th Nov 2009, 10:58
Captain Oryx (http://www.pprune.org/members/304134-captain-oryx)
“I do not see any inherent safety issue in movement from right to left seat on a particular airplane, rather it is one of personal preference.”

I’m sure you are 320 Driver. I’m sorry but this mix (inexperienced pilot flying wide body in long haul flight) is dangerous.

shneidertrophy (http://www.pprune.org/members/192884-shneidertrophy)
“a DEC can come in with 737 experience (got his command by luck in a dodgy airline somewhere)”

This is true. There are a bunch of them flying B777. And some of them flying as Line training Captain.

“Do you think that is fair?”

Nothing in Goat Airlines is far. Look around!

Go in peace.

Captain Oryx
11th Nov 2009, 12:04
OK boys, let's straighten a few things out.

ST,

The reason people don't "jump the que" has nothing to do with "weight speed formula". It is strictly a function of a seniority system.

Nowhere did I comment on the fairness of the system. I will not comment on it now.

Your "career plan" as you put it is a bit askew "mate". It is strictly a function of economic times. Some individuals see a command in less than 5 years. Some wait 15, yes I'm talking B737/A320. That's the nature of the career. Oh, by the way, some never see command.

I was not, and do not wish to compare Qatar's system to any system.

Cheers!:ok:

myknobblyknees
11th Nov 2009, 20:11
Life is too precious to spend 3 yrs of it in what can only be described as a dreadful environment even for a B777 PIC on your licence.
I considered it for a few months and then having been there I couldnt and wouldnt be able to sacrifice all the things that I do weekly/monthly that make life sweet and have taken for granted in my daily life and which make it so enjoyable.
On that visit I couldnt comprehend how anyone can live there.Truly horrible in comparison to SE Asia and even Dubai.

loc22550
12th Nov 2009, 02:42
Mykno ..a few months...?..it take only one minute from the time to get out of your accomodation, get into your car and start driving to realise how this place is UNcivilised!

shneidertrophy
12th Nov 2009, 11:02
Capt Oryx,

all I say is that your salary structure does not work without a seniority system.

The whole point of the exercise was the answer to:"Why does a 777 pilot in the same function make more money than his colleague on the A320?"

EK does upgrade on their A330 because of the lack of smaller equipment. Besides that their training system and requirements are much more strict than what we have in QR, and so is their screening process.

So their pilots in general are of a better quality, their training department is better as well and they would never allow people to upgrade on an A380 or A340. And I strongly doubt they ever allowed upgrades R to L on the T7.

All the guys I know, that went recently through an upgrade at EK, joined there 4-5 years ago. Most of them had 4000hrs+ when they joined and in many cases they held a previous command on 737/320 or similar. So yes, after another 4 years and 3200 hrs flying the EK network they would be more likely to be able to digest a fresh command on an A330.

Here in QR the requirements will be 5000hrs on heavy jet, full ATPL and minimum 3 years in the company for an upgrade on A320. For upgrade on a widebody you will need 6000hrs+ and all the other requirements.
Besides this an upgrade on a widebody will always be subject to requirement and approval from management, the A320 fleet will stay the main fleet for upgrades.

I know one guy that joined here 5 years ago without a TR and 1500hrs. He was given A320 rating (stayed 1.5 years), joined A330 (stayed 2 years), joined A340 (stayed 1 year) and was finally given 777 6 months ago. By the time the R to L upgrades kick in he, in theory, would be eligible for a T7 fresh command.

Now this person is a nice guy and has good attitude, but do you think making him a commander on the 777 is a good idea both for his career as well as the safety of aviation?????:ugh:

For the newbees: forget 3 years as in reality we are looking today at 6-8 years before you can ever be considered due to 750+ FOs ahead of you.

I stick to my point: What QR will be doing IS dangerous!

Lets wait and see....

skya320
12th Nov 2009, 11:20
loc22550 Very nice way of putting it. :ok:

Captain Oryx
12th Nov 2009, 13:12
ST,

My point precisely.

We will just have to respectfully disagree about the R to L upgrade

Cheers!

Qatari515
12th Nov 2009, 15:56
A good friend of mine just gave a very simple but logic solution:

All they would have to do is to install a bidding system, allowing pilots to bid on which fleet they want to do their upgrade on.
Combine this with a transparent and constant upgrade policy whereby candidates are given exact dates/timeframes of what to expect when and on which fleet, and everybody would be much happier.

A pilot would know exactly when to expect a possible upgrade on the A320 or his current fleet. He would be able to make the decision himself. Either upgrade in X months and go on the A320, or upgrade on the A330/B777 in X months + y months.

And why not allow an A320 pilot, if a slot becomes available on A330/B777 and nobody inside his seniority bracket is willing or available to fill it in, to upgrade on the B777/A330?

Clear, transparent and honest to everybody in the system. Some guys who upgraded in the past 2 years will be pissed of maybe, but hey, that’s life, get over it.

At least the system would be in place for the future. And no matter what, QR's expansion plan is sooooo massive that everybody in the system today will be given most of what they want (777/787/380/350) within the next 5 years anyhow.

No time to worry people, life is too short for that!

flyby71
12th Nov 2009, 23:22
Hi All
Is anybody going for an interview on December 2nd?
If so, I would like to hear from you.
Thanks

mightyduck
14th Nov 2009, 10:33
Hi guys and girls,

Here’s my short story about the selection.
The day looks exactly as described here in pprune:
0800 come in, 0830 computer presentation about the 5 star airline, little break, 50 multiple choice questions in an hour which is time enough if you’re prepared by questions below and Ace. Then everybody wait and will be called in for the result. If you didn’t make it, go and chill out by the pool, your day is over.
Then they give everybody a time to appear for the interview.
At 12:00 there is a lunch, which is a little buffet. Interviewers were not present and is good to talk to the other guys who want the job.

There were no technical questions asked during the interview for none off the guys. They worked through a standard list of questions which was the same for everybody. They marked on their papers a number and I don’t know where it stand for.

After the interview you can go to the pool and chill out. Later during the day there will be the letter under your door with the result and if it’s good you can continue to the sim. If it’s ok go to bed and rest, cause the sim is at night. If it’s not ok go back to the pool and order a gin tonic and look at it as a holyday.

Sim pickup 21:45. They brief you when you get there, show an airbus 330 and tell you how to fly it. The instructor was a really nice guy. He tells you who will be at what time. Make sure you’re not last, do this by sitting in the middle, since he will just number you down the line. After you’re finished you can call Marriot and request them to pick you up if you want.

Sim was relatively easy. 330 flies like it’s on auto pilot and the joystick is like control wheel stearing it temporarily declutches. It’s the basic pitch flying. Set a pitch and the A/C will keep it, same for bank. If it’s not good change it. Let the A/C fly don’t try to do this yourself, since the A/C can do it better. If it flies level and bank ok, release the stick if it doesn’t fly good release it. Try to touch it as little as possible.
Sim profile: LHR 27R ( like the briefing pack you get before this time, apparently they sometimes change it to another airport) Made up departure straight ahead. Duringclimb a turn and level off. Radar circuit back to ILS, shoot it and land (landing does not count, but is easy; flare a litte at 40 ft and retard when it tell you to). If you are not stable do a G/A always.
Then again same thing, but do it better now. Then you get a fire on the A/C, ask for memory items. Request mayday, Do the after T/O checklist, ask for rest of checklist. Let him Inform cc + packs, quickly back request short vectors and fire guys to be ready when you land. Do a briefing about evacuation etc. Be aware for GS intercept by the way, since you might approach at a lower alt for the ILS. That's it. Only about 1/2 hour.

I have bundled all the questions I found on pprune:

Qatar written test from pprune:

Altimeter settings and how weather affects it.
ICAO Holding Speeds.
Describe what is a dutch roll.
what makes a good captain, good F/O
When do you use anti-ice
what is the sqawk code for threat in the airplane.
Basic aerodynamics
3rd segment climb
Effect of forward c.g.
Lapse rate
Notams
Effect of speed brakes and ailerons simulteneous input
Missed approoach after circle to land
What happens to IAS if the pitot tube is blocked at the start of the descend
What happens to airspeed if the static vent is blocked?
Wet Rwy?
Contaminated Rwy?
Holding speeds?
How long to evacuate an aircraft with more than 44 seats?
Certification purposes, aircraft needs to be evacuated in less than 90 sec through half of the available exits
Type of cloud with virga?
Holding pattern entries?
Interprate TAF, i.e. what will the wind be when you arrive?
ISA?
Emergency descent first action?
ILS CAT 1 RVR?
Gliding distance and how is it affected by weight?
What happens to LSS or TAS if one increases or the other decreases?
Lift/Drag/dynamic pressure formulas?
Where does DER or MORA stand for?
What is the aquwk for airplane threat?
MTOM. MLM: what type of limitations are these?
Are standard holdings with left or right turns?
Mcrit?
Swept back wings, why?
if you need to turn and maintain same speed and altitude what do you have to do
increase AoA and add power
the fix distance markings on a rwy are at what distance"?
The Fixed distance markings start at 300m from the RWY threshold
what would be the ISA deviation with a given temp. at acertain FL
how to calculate true altitude of an airport

Questions I got which I didn’t knew from pprune:
Bomb a board, what do you do?
Apparently good answer is: Landing gear down + flaps, level off at the altitude cabin is at the moment .
In a flare Aircraft will float, why?
Using to high AoA, height A/C is ½ wingspan? And some other answers

Qatar interview questions from pprune:

What are your Future Plans for QATAR AIRWAYS GROUP
Why Should We Hire You Over The Others Waiting To Be Interviewed
Can you work well under deadlines or pressure?
What goals do you have in your career
Briefly describe your ideal job?

What is loop or pigtail in an impulse line?

1.PIGTAIL IS USED ONLY IN STEAM LINE WHICH HELPS TO CONVERT
STEAM VAPOUR PHASE IN TO LIQUID WATER PHASE
2. AVIOD HIGH TEMPERATURE DIRECTLY CONTACT
IN INSTRUMENT LIKE PRESSURE GAUGES,PRESSURE
TRANSMITTERS..etc.
3.FINALLY IT REDUCES HIGH PRESSURE INTO LOW PRESSURE AND
AVIOD VIBRATION IN IMPULSE LINES.

pigtail is also called syphon.It is used to reduce
temperature of fluid like steam before enter in to the
Pressure gauge or Presssure Transmitter for measurement

What is maintenance planning
how control valve works? I think they mean describe outflow valves
What did you dislike about your last job? Why did you leave your last job?
Do you have a bond with your current employer?
Why Qatar?
Scenario:
On T/O and high speed you realize your tires are deflated. What do you do and how does it affect the braking performance?

If you have a bomb on the airplane, what do you do?
Do you have a bomb immediate action in your current company?

What is the definition of safe T/O distance?
What can you bring to the company?
Does the mrs. Approve of your job in Qatar?
What is MNPS?
Alt limits
What does the take over button on the Airbus on the side stick do?
Windshear
How many % to be runway contaminated?
Gradient climb?
Tell me about segments on T/O
VMCG/VMCA?
T/O in windshear
Have you flown with a demanding captain and give an example?
Have you have had someone misenterpreting you and give an example?
Any time a captain or F/O disagreed with you and give an example?
How many degrees of pitch would you fly with an engine faile wright after T/O?
What would you see on the PFD?
What is you company procedure for….and what do you think about it?
W/S recognize and avodance?
Technical questions about your current A/C?
CAT1/2/3 regulations?
ETOPS?
RVSM?
Low vis OPS?
Circling approaches?
Meteo?
Stabilized approach scenario?
What makes a good/bad F/O or captain?
IFR rules
Pyrotehcnic lights/flashes from tower?
Altimeter settings and how wheater affects it?
Describe Dutch roll
When do you use anti ice?

if you are climbing at 270KTS/.80 and then you increase your speed to 290KTS/.80 are you going to reach the .80 mach earlier or later?

"what is a barrette"?
three or more groundlights closely spaced together to appear as a set of a bar of lights / lightings at Holding Point CAT 3 lightings at Holding Point CAT 3

What do you know about Qatar Airways
Easy since you have just seen the video, which tell everything. This video is also on youtube.

Questions not known before from pprune:
Tell us about yourself
Tell us when you didn’t understand your somebody, doesn’t have to be about flying
What is you notice period?

In a few days you get the result. They need pilots on very short notice and you could be there in a month.

Good luck to who is going
:{:}:O;)

junglie-driver
14th Nov 2009, 11:06
Mighty Duck - Awesome post! All the information you need. Nice to hear some positive information about the process and not only about a Skipper who once drank a bottle of water, etc.

Can I just ask Mighty Duck when he/she submitted the application (was it via internet or post) and how long did it take til invited for interview. Good luck all in these crappy times.

JD

flyby71
14th Nov 2009, 11:53
O.K Guys and Girls

I tried to send those ATPL books over skype but it takes forever. Here is the link right to it so you can load it at your own pace:
Oxford ATPL Books - Download from rapidshare.com - Filestube.com (http://www.filestube.com/3566268c36a5856303e9,g/Oxford-ATPL-Books.html)

For those of you not familiar with Rapidshare, here is how it works. There are two options, either premium or free user. You can still get the files as a free user but with some limitations. Go to the link and open the page, click on the first file(dowload), it takes you to rapidshare page. Click FREE USER, or premium if you are one, download, you're done. If you're free user, here are the limitations:
1. You can only load 1 file at the time
2. You will wait up to 15 minutes before it let's you load the next file
That's all folks.
You must have all 23 files loaded before extraction. Hope it helps

atpcliff
15th Nov 2009, 16:28
Hi!

Mightyduck: That was BRILLIANT!!!

I have done several interview reports, as you have, and have helped a number of other pilots get jobs. It is nice to help someone out!

That is very, very helpful, and many people appreciate it!!!

cliff
NBO

Time Traveller
15th Nov 2009, 16:52
The tech quiz is pretty easy - I did very minimal prep for it, and we all passed; most having not used their native tongue.

Be aware, if you are not current on any type, (even if you were current when you applied) you are wasting your time, as we discovered in the course of my interview; Not that I was complaining as I subsequently lounged by the pool at their expense. All round, we were very well looked after indeed, and whatever the merits or otherwise of QR, the selection process leaves a good impression.

ItsAjob
15th Nov 2009, 17:31
Anyone any photos of what the company accommodation is like?

mightyduck
15th Nov 2009, 21:05
It took about 3 months between application and interview.

Flyby?
Nice to share the Oxford files, good stuff. But it only says premium members can download.
Also when it would be possible it would take very long.
Is it possible you make it share via a torrent file or another way to make it easier?
:)

Air1980
16th Nov 2009, 03:48
Why would it matter if you are current or not? Many of us are laid off and spending a small fortune to get re-current is not possible. If one gets a sim ride, and you do well, I would have thought that would show that you are a more than competent pilot. Surely this is why the interview includes a simulator ride? I wish logic played a part in these companies selection process, rather then uptight, failed, less than competent pilots in positions of power playing games with peoples hopes.

White Knight
16th Nov 2009, 08:46
Schneider - many, many, many EK 777 F/Os went from R to L on 777.. Just wanted to clarify that! And the 330/340 F/Os upgrade on 330 and then 6 months later requalify for 340 - and that's the minimum wait for CCQ requirements..

In fact it's been known for 330 F/Os to do transition upgrade onto 777 and the other way around depending on the company requirements...

flyby71
16th Nov 2009, 11:48
Time Traveller

When you said one has to be current on type, does that mean they want 3 bounces and a fresh PC or what? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

For those who were unable to download JAA ATPL stuff, I am currently working on putting it online as a torrent file. It should be ready tomorrow morning. GMT (-5)

junglie-driver
17th Nov 2009, 07:48
MAny thanks for the torent, all knowledge is good! Looks like it'll take a while to download. Cheers. JD

PozativeR8
17th Nov 2009, 08:36
LOL.. this torrent link is Blocked by our beloved Q-Tel server here in Qatar.. and yes, the censor pork police strike again. might just as well live in China.

mightyduck
17th Nov 2009, 20:28
good stuff:ok:

violet08
18th Nov 2009, 15:20
Just tried the hotspotshield.com site.....it's been blocked...at least in Doha:bored: Figures!

mightyduck
18th Nov 2009, 20:00
Hi Flyby,
The torrent doesn't download. Are you sure you're torrent program is on?
If it's not running, we can never get the file. As soon as other people have downloaded it and share it, you can stop running it.
:)

captain.diperkosa
19th Nov 2009, 00:56
Do you think they will be interviewing for Direct entry captains in 2010?

Even after First officer upgrades it seems they will need DEC's due to the amount of new Aircraft arrivals plus Natural attrition and people leaving.

Capt Krunch
19th Nov 2009, 06:44
captain.diperkosa

Qatar Airways has been hiring DEC's for nearly a decade (I was a DEC in 2001) there is no change in sight.
this is a bit of a problem when it comes to upgrading our F/O's. it takes average of 5+ years for them. there is no change in sight there either. if anything the queue is getting longer.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

flyby71
19th Nov 2009, 12:32
Can you use the FPV (bird) during the simulator?

And as far as torrent file, the computer has been running for the past 3 days and it show seeding, so I have no clue what to do to make it better.

Immigrant
19th Nov 2009, 15:34
I also have a problem to get this Torr.....as it (0) Seeds...
But I've got an alternative sours..

Oxford ATPL Books

and it is PDF and you can download any book you want to, without necessity load all of them....good Luck :ok:

Pilots help Pilots :D

Oxford ATPL Books (download torrent) - TPB (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3784170/Oxford_ATPL_Books)

SMOOTHFLIER
19th Nov 2009, 19:45
sent my appication via post end of september still no reply I have minimum hours on A320, how long do I have to wait.
Are they still recruiting?

mightyduck
21st Nov 2009, 13:26
Hello everybody,
On top of my previous post I found some questions I wrote down.
Here they are.
And by the way it took about 3 months for me to get selection after application.

What transports oxygen in blood?
-hemoglobine in red blood cells
-white blood cells
-blood fat
-blood plasma
Good answer hemoglobine

What is TODA?
T/O run + stopway (good answer)
Rwy length + clearway

What is ASDA
T/O run + stopway (good answer)
Rwy lenth + stopway

Min T in standard ISA?
- 273 degrees celcius
- 56 degrees celcius (good answer)

IAS and TAS
If you descend difference will decrease

Pitot blocked + descending?
IAS decreases (IAS acts like an altimeter in this case)

Static variation in pitot tube causes an error and is called?
Instrument error
Baromatic error
Pressure position error

1st segment stops at?
Gear up

Communication in cockpit
Goes worse when people don’t get along

highflyer321757
21st Nov 2009, 14:44
Mightyduck thanks for the Q's but as far as I know TODA has nothing to do with stopway and a correct answer should be: the rwy length available + CLEARWAY (not stopway)

KindolFaret
23rd Nov 2009, 05:11
Hi guys, soon I will fullfil the minimum requirements for FO non-type rated entry.

Does any of you know if they call people with just the minimum requirements or you really need more hours to be given a chance? Any personal experience on this??

I will apply with 2000TT and 1500+ B737

Thanks!

ItsAjob
23rd Nov 2009, 09:39
The question on fixed distance markers:
Does it mean ICAO or USA because one is 400m and the other 300m (ish)?

highflyer321757
23rd Nov 2009, 11:45
ItsAjob,

For the QR screening forget about FAA / USA, it's all about JAA.

As far as I know ICAO fixed distance markings or aiming point markings are at 300m when the rwy is between 1200 and 2400m and 400m when the rwy length is 2400m or more...so what answer to go for :confused:

Anybody, correct me if I am wrong!

atpcliff
25th Nov 2009, 02:02
Hi!

I sent my stuff in about 2? months ago, and have not heard anything yet.

4500+ TT
3500+ MEJet
1100+ PIC MEJet
No time in any QR aircraft.

cliff
NBO

loc22550
25th Nov 2009, 09:09
Mightyduck:
I heard they have introduced some new "technical" question during the screening process like:

1:Which of those action listed below have the highest probability of resulting in a Fatal issue for a pilot in QR:
(only one answer is correct!)

A: Scratching an engine on a concrete block while taxiing
B: making a hard landing that cost million to the airline
C: punching a guy at the dispatch
D: Having a Sim session with S.D.

Correct answer: D
:uhoh:

2:In your opinion a good pilot in Qr is a pilot who :
( easy one)

A: Has great flying skill
B: Put a " I LOVE AAB" sticker on his suitcase
C: follow the SOP
D: maintain a good CRM with the Cabin crew

Correct answer: B
:ooh:

flyby71
26th Nov 2009, 00:07
Good Evening/ Morning All

Anybody going to Doha for December 2nd interview?

Cheers

Fubaliera
26th Nov 2009, 00:52
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah:D

QR UNITED 2009
26th Nov 2009, 01:06
100 % right answers .

One more :

If you want an LV bag in QR you should :

a) work hard and buy it
b)marry a rich guy
c)grab in on the road
d)get it from CEO on promotion flight

Correct answer is "D"

loc22550
26th Nov 2009, 02:55
Complete the following sentence...: (general knowledge)

In Doha most of the drivers....:
A- are courteous&well-disciplined
B- are respectful of the traffic law
C- never use horn
D- need to undergo a pshycological test.

Correct answer: D
:ooh:

pilotlear
26th Nov 2009, 18:58
Yeah Im one of them on dec the 2th...what d we expect..

kempilot
27th Nov 2009, 00:41
Anyone on here going on the 15th? Does anyone know if the exams are the same for everyone, or are they different for rated vs. non-rated pilots?
Thank you.

wingbar
27th Nov 2009, 07:48
Hi guys,

Just had a call from Qatar for an interview in London.
They said the interviews will be held in the first and second weeks of January 2010. Has anybody had a similar call or offer?

To add to that the lady on the phone said she would send me an email so I could confirm the dates.
I thought all interviews were in Doha?

Any info from you guys is much appreciated as always,

Regards

WB

burble
27th Nov 2009, 07:49
Hi Kempilot & Pilotlear, if I could interrupt your prep, are you applying as F/O's or DEC's? and how long did you wait between application and date for selection? Good luck, and if you get chance let us know what horrors you faced.

OMDB30R
27th Nov 2009, 09:38
Tech Quiz, 50 Question ..........70% Required to pass:

All on JAA ATPL theory

Hallf the candidates have different papers.

kempilot
27th Nov 2009, 23:15
burble

DEC for me. I submitted my app the last week in July, got the invite first week of October

burble
28th Nov 2009, 10:48
Thank you kempilot. best of luck.
burble

kempilot
28th Nov 2009, 23:52
OMD thank you.

Constant Speed DU
29th Nov 2009, 21:45
Can anyone ping me across a couple of typical 777/330 and 320 rosters.With regards to housing, If you are a F/O married with two kids what kind of accomodation would you expect?
Cheers

highflyer321757
30th Nov 2009, 16:40
Wingbar,

Apparently QR is in talks with a major UK charter which might make around 100 pilots redundant soon, not sure what's on offer but these interviews will be held in the uk so perhaps your call has something to do with this?

Tiennetti
30th Nov 2009, 20:09
Which is the title of the presentation video?

Thank you!

mauuuus
1st Dec 2009, 02:34
I just contacted Qatar recruitment team and they stated that they will hit the road visiting major international cities for interview recuiting during the first quarter of 2010. (They did not confirm which cities)

wingbar
1st Dec 2009, 09:20
Hi Highwingflyer,

There may be a correlation between that and the interview yes.
I have absolutely no information though as to what's happening at QR.

WB

pilotlear
3rd Dec 2009, 14:25
..just for the "hac" of it, almost nobody has a CLUE on what these guys out of HR really want out of the assessment, expecially the ones who beleive they had all the questions masterized and ready to go!!! They know about this forum and they monitor it very very carefully....only 3 out of 8 of us passed the dec 2th assessment, meaning all the way to the sim check...I would raccomand to stop the bull:mad: all questions beside the "Homoglobine one" where hard, much harder than expected!!!!!!! 4 guys out og 8 where stopped right there

Best all luck to everyone ;)

EGCC4284
3rd Dec 2009, 15:56
I have many questions

1, Can anyone tell me the law on co-habiting with my partner in the Qatar Airways accommodation. I am married but separated as is my new partner and wondered how that would go done with Qatar Airways?

2, My partner would be unable to move out there with me. How would Qatar view me wanting to pop back to UK if I managed to get a few days off to make it work while popping back to see her and my daughter? I know that it's a Doha based job, but if I got a few days off a month I would try and pop back and see my Daughter and girlfriend.

highflyer321757
3rd Dec 2009, 17:10
Pilotlear,

If only one known question came up, would you be so kind to share all or at least a part of the new ones???

Surely I won't be the only one here to appreciate receiving this shared info!

Many thanks :ok:

HF

Linerider
4th Dec 2009, 09:48
Officially speaking, you would need to be married to your partner in order to live with her in QR property.

A lot of pilots at QR commute home to see their families. This could be difficult if you are on the A320 fleet, but rostering on the A330 and B777 makes this more practical.

stop, stop, stop
4th Dec 2009, 12:06
They know about this forum and they monitor it very very carefully

Most likely! Mention an interview question on here...and least that'll be one less we'll all have to study for!

fishbath21
11th Dec 2009, 09:18
Dear Pilots,

I really appreciate if anyone can advise me with 500hrs of b737-200 and TT of 2100hrs (FAA-ATPL) how can I get into Qatar airways. Are they recruiting now? if yes or not then how can I get in? I really appreciate it

Fubaliera
11th Dec 2009, 13:06
Remember, those are mins, but actuall competive mins are still much more. They wont be back at taking anybody with a pulse mode till Ethihad, Emirates,Air Arabia and companys back in Europe start full swing hiring again. But who knows when and if that will happen.

jaarrgh
11th Dec 2009, 14:53
Thanks ACGen.

fishbath21
11th Dec 2009, 18:59
thanks........if I have 500 on NON-EFIS airplane...will that help you think?

Fubaliera
11th Dec 2009, 19:08
Great news, they hired again into the 330 while 150 f/o on the 320 are waiting for a fleet transfer which hasnt happened in 2 years

JungleJett
11th Dec 2009, 19:20
Mainly due to the fact that up to 30??....F/Os on the 330 are either leaving or about to leave. Heard the same rumor from different sources. That is also the main cause for the cancellation of upgrades until further notice.
It will get interesting when the other airlines will really start to hire.

Probes Down
12th Dec 2009, 16:32
I know there will be a Qatar Airways assessment at Madird next week, for the unemployed guys from Spanair, but does anybody know if is there any way to do it if you are not from that company?

thanks a lot

anthony.andora61
13th Dec 2009, 11:39
Anyone care to comment about a first officer on the A330 held against his will in Qatar after they had a snafu in Dubai with the nose wheel. I think new comers should know about this, I have an offer letter but I am not sure I want to go to such a place. :ugh:

Please post your comments!!!!!!!!!!!

Fubaliera
13th Dec 2009, 12:56
This is a unfortunate situation. Being latino most likey he was just going with the flow in that conversation. The rumour is he had a loan, so his exit is blocked until he can pay. This must be a nightmare for him, being stuck in Doha with no way out. This is the risk you take when you take a personal loan, thats what new joiners should be aware of. Avoid the new flashy cars, credit cards, etc etc stay out of debt.

Elifant
13th Dec 2009, 18:03
Hallo everybody, did Qatar airways start to invite any DEC jet?

Thanks for the info

EGCC4284
13th Dec 2009, 20:43
what does snafu in Dubai with the nose wheel mean???? snafu??? what does that mean

Fubaliera
14th Dec 2009, 19:49
LATEST FROM THE GRAPEVINE

fleets segregated
If your on the 320 you stay on 320 forever. Bad new for 320/ good news for 330/777/ If you get a 330/777 slot you will upgrade on same fleet but on 320 your stuck their forever.
Good luck in keeping 320 drivers, the only good thing was the hope of fleet transfer, but with this new policy their in for a big surprise.

gmezzi
15th Dec 2009, 18:06
hy everybody.
how long is the upgrade to the left joining QR now?
i've got an offer letter to the A330 last week, i'm one of the guys selected on december 2nd.
thank you ,hope to see you in doha

taho
15th Dec 2009, 22:33
Hello. Someone in contact with pilots staying in qatar that could tell about how is real life over there, not only professionally.
I´m shortly going to an interview for QR and I´d like to know first hand

Thanks

Young_Turk
16th Dec 2009, 03:21
was wondering if at 6000 hours with PIC 3500 all B737NG, would applying to QR in todays market conditions be a long shot or there is a reasonable chance i get in Left seat on A320?? I've heard there are a lot of experienced guys bidding for the same job and im just making the minimum requirements...... would appreciate your take..

loc22550
16th Dec 2009, 09:18
I'm afraid fubaliera ..you are right(no transfer), when i see Gmezzi post :....joining QR on 330 straight!! Good For him..
Upgrade today takes...6 years at least...

I can't believe it! There is NO 330 fleet expansion...,24 A-320 are expected to join the fleet in the next couple of years...somebody should explain me something regarding transfer and recruitment policy in this airline, and how to keep crew motivated!
Or maybe is it to feel the gap left by more than 20 to 30 pilots who resign recently on 330 to go to EY...:E?

burble
17th Dec 2009, 20:57
It may well be buried in the previous 78 pages, it may also have changed. Web site listed benifits include childrens allowance for education. Can anyone share some local knowledge, will the allowance cover 3 to 4 children and are school spaces readily available?

atpcliff
17th Dec 2009, 21:35
Hi!

Just talked to a Qatar Capt. He said don't listen to all the negative stuff.

He said if you are single, and want to party, Doha is not the place.

If you are married, with your family living there, or are single and want to work hard and make a lot of money, it is a good place to work.

He said he does what he's supposed to, works hard, makes a lot, and is enjoying it.

The cabin crew was very friendly...one of them was the first person here to automatically speak Swahili to me, which was nice, as most natives assume that Mzungus can't speak Swahili.

cliff
NBO

loc22550
18th Dec 2009, 04:35
Quote:

"the cabin crew was very friendly..one of them was the first person here to automatically speak Swahili to me, wich was nice, as most natives assume that Mzungus can't speak swahili..!!"
Whaooo... wich such an intersting post,i'm sure now you convince a lot of people to join Qatar Airways....:}.

Burble ,IMHO school allowance only cover...1.. kids here! (for a decent school at least)

Kangeroo Joe
19th Dec 2009, 16:01
Looking through the website, it would seem the salary of USD6600/month for an F/O is pretty low even though it's "tax free".

From the website:
First Officers

Tax free salary of approximately $6600 USD (assuming 70 block hours).
Ancillary Benefits

Company provided accommodation.
Transport allowance of approximately $410 USD.
Utility allowance.
Meal allowance whilst on layovers.
School fees subsidy .
Family medical insurance.
Comprehensive life insurance.
Loss of licence insurance.
End of service gratuity.

Someone mentioned filling up at full tank of gas in a Hummer would only cost USD 10 in Doha, please let me know where you buy your fuel so I can order a few million gallons!

If you don't fly 70 block do you still get 6600/month? Whats the minimum pay?
What are the actual block hours/month on average?
Days off a month?
Does bunk time count?
No pention plan? Save money off the USD6600/month??:ugh:
No company transport (small allowance)....but I guess at 10 bucks to fill up a Hummer $410 will last 10 years.......:rolleyes:
Only an appartment for F/Os.
The illusive promise of a left seat in a few years.

Not sure if it's a great package.

Oh they forgot to mention the F**king sand?

loc22550
20th Dec 2009, 09:35
Minimum paid = Basic + transport allowance+utility allowance+ ERP:} + House allowance (if you have it).

BE carefull if you get sick without any certificate: one day of your salary will be substracted(per sick day) on ALL the item above(Not only the basic)..!
If you are unlucky to be More than 15 days sick leave/year (with certificate),they start cutting your salary.!

Kangeroo Joe
20th Dec 2009, 13:09
Thanks Big Neon,

That's pretty much exactly what I expected.

Where is the appt block? I'm guessing it's no where near West Bay and more likely miles out along Salwa Rd?

I also imagine any screw ups and your out.

Not the best package really.

Captain Oryx
20th Dec 2009, 15:23
KJ,

PLEAASE, stay in Oz!!!:D

shortfinal12
21st Dec 2009, 21:25
Do any of you guys know if Qatar Airways plans to start another second officer program for non-qataris? I am aware the last group of non-qataris taken was approx one year ago.

Are there enough Qataris to meet the numbers needed for this program in the future?

Appreciate any info you may have.

thanks

Max_Thrust
23rd Dec 2009, 22:58
Heard they had three groups of FOs in for assessment last week (14th, 15th and 16th Dec.). Anyone heard if they have hired any of those guys that made it to the sim?

highflyer321757
24th Dec 2009, 04:27
I was there the 14th and made it all the way to the sim...no news yet!

Perhaps somebody else got the thumbs up?

HF

av8r76
24th Dec 2009, 06:29
Is it just me or has the offer drastically reduced since I declined their offer 6 mos ago?

You have lost the option of your own accom
Vague mention of school fees subsidy (used to be a lot more defined on the site)
No min flight pay (it says 'assuming' rather than guaranteed)

Needless to say, quality of offer is inversely proportional to quantum of apps sitting on HR desk.

Nevertheless, good luck to all.

loc22550
24th Dec 2009, 08:15
av8r76:
We have lost a lot ($$$) here in QR...since i joined the company(long time ago):
Let me make a quick and clear summary of what we have lost :

-A320 special allowance
-3 days of leave
-Overtime payement
-Days off down the route allowance.
-Crash of the Qatari riyal(-40%+) v/s other major currencies(except U$).(no adjustement for the meal allowance!).
-inflation here 15%+ for the last couple of year.

Yes they increase the salary(2 or 3 time) in the meantime, but the increase never really covers all this lost...

Kangeroo Joe
25th Dec 2009, 01:55
Capt Oryx,

Don't worry I'm staying in OZ! (unless they throw in 5,000 tonnes of sand a month with the package, then I may have to rethink)

Loc,

Clearly they don't have to increase the package, seems there are no shortage of applicants who accept the package as it is.

Big Neon,

Thanks for being straight up with the facts as they are.

Out of benefit for those applying:

70-75 hours block/month if you are on the 777 what would your actually block time be versus what they pay given the factored bunk time. What is the factor rate 1/3?

Is block time paid actual or schedule block?

Average allowance for 24 hr period in Europe/Asia?

Average layover times?

Hotel standard?

Operated under GCC duty limits or FAA/JAA?

What is the schooling allowance?

No option for own accomm, company privided only?

Average monthly food/utilities/telecoms/cable bill?

Do you still require an employer exit permit to leave the country on leave/business etc?

Relocation assistance?

Staff travel "policy"?

Thanks Big Neon.

loc22550
29th Dec 2009, 09:20
Atpcliff:
"Work hard and make a lot of money".. here in QR...?:=
I would say..work less and make more money here in Qr..

If there is one fleet where you work hard here it's the 320 fleet, if there one fleet with the highest percentage of unpaid duty ..it's the 320 fleet (sometime up to 50%: duty time=bolck hoursx2)...
Sorry but for me the A-320 fleet has probably the highest ratio :work performed vs salary!

Bigeye
30th Dec 2009, 17:47
Can your expand on fear and negativity??

Elifant
31st Dec 2009, 03:06
Hallo

does any body know when they plan the net DEC assessment?

Thanks

cirrus81
31st Dec 2009, 10:27
Can anyone confirm regarding the FO requirements? They have revised the requirements on their website with 2000 TT and 500 EFIS equipped aircraft. Does it mean 500 Jet time is no longer required out of total 2000 for non type rated?

Fubaliera
31st Dec 2009, 14:30
Yeah right, Saabs and Atr dont count sorry

cirrus81
31st Dec 2009, 19:05
hmm why not?

flex50
1st Jan 2010, 07:35
i have ATR72-500 with over 3,000 hrs ONTYPE todate and they could not proceed with my application! that was May 2009. :ugh:

Fubaliera
1st Jan 2010, 10:23
Vietnam airlines after a year o so will move you too the jet if you fly thier Atrs

DooblerChina
3rd Jan 2010, 16:45
hello guys,

I have an interview coming up this month but I am having second thoughts about whether to go through with it.

I am married and currently work for a charter and get loads of days off with the missus, I am a but worried that the 7-8 days off a month is fairly norm. I am looking at 777 fleet, does anyone have a sampple roster to see how much I will actually be away.

Im not sure I could leave her for 3 weeks per month...

Thanks

DC

and yes I have looked through most of this thread already.

Fubaliera
3rd Jan 2010, 19:17
Buddy, by the looks of your schedule your work for Air Hong Kong.
Bottom line, there is no fleet transfer anymore regardless of what they say,
Being typed on the A300-600 there a 90 percent chance you joining that fleet.
If you get the A300-600 , say no whats the point your in asia with a better schedule
If you get the A320, for sure say no, there are no fleet transfers and ther are lots of 320 drivers on the market. In the Last 2 years nobody has been ccq to the 330 and the last 18 months nobody been transfered to the 777. The A320 group is really upset that the recruiting dep is still hiring the 777 and the 330 directley when they can ccq people from the 320 fleet alot easier. Its being taken as a insult and lack of respect. The worst part is that there not flying more than 60 hours on the 32o fleet. There answer is that either there isnt the training capability or that were getting more 320s, sure its easy for them to say, especially being already on the widebody fleet.

What ever you do dont take the 320.

Captain Oryx
4th Jan 2010, 02:00
"Im not sure I could leave her for 3 weeks per month..."

DC,

If this means you are going to attempt to commute, forget it!

Stay where you are.

Capt Krunch
4th Jan 2010, 07:17
Big Neon Glitter and Captain Oryx

are quite correct Mr DooblerChina. when the A330's first came to QA it was a dream fleet, few destination and all the glam and glitz.. then with 1 aircraft per month for 30 months it soon became a NIGHTMARE !!

DO NOT expect what you presently see on the B777 schedule to remain this way. take the advise from those who have been here to see this time and time again.

poisoned by compromise
Krunch

abel.amir
4th Jan 2010, 09:08
7 or 8 consecutive days off, you have to be kidding me, they started this two months back and I have seen only one roster with 8 days off for a Captain ( FO you can forget about it), the most number of consecutive days off I have had at QR is 3, so committing is impossible on the B777. :=
I am sure they will tell you otherwise at the interview to get you to come here. As a fairly new guy at QR I get lots of India, Pakistan and Manila. :{ If you complain then they give you Standby for 12 hrs.

So welcome to our 5 :mad: Star airline.

AA

DooblerChina
4th Jan 2010, 10:50
Hello,

thanks for the replies although maybe I was misunderstood, I don't want to commute, I want to live in Doha with my wife however, I want to know how many days per month I will be away from her.

This is fundermental to my decision. My current longhaul is something like 4 on 4 off, 4 on 3 off, is this similar to the 777 roster?

Still waiting a roster.... 330 would be good too.

Thanks

DC

Fubaliera
4th Jan 2010, 11:25
Who says your gonna get the 777 or 330

waitingandwaiting
4th Jan 2010, 11:44
With all this expansion that is happening, what is the expected time to command? Or will they fill the slots with a lot of decs?

Fubaliera
4th Jan 2010, 12:00
Bingo, there will always be a reason to hire DEC

FlyingCroc
4th Jan 2010, 12:15
Guys, just read all the messages about QR, EY, EK then you will see what it is like. I work here for many years, and what you read here is mostly true. Of course some guys are frustrated because of fleet or upgrades. But face it, it is just a job, take it or leave it. Make some money and get out. Nobody cares about you here, and nobody would be here if it was not for the good pay (although it could be better) and the oppurtunity to fly a big jet.
1) Rosters, as pointed out above, they change monthly, can be good on one fleet, bad on another. You have 10days off, the rest is pure luck.
2) No commuting possible in all airlines.
3) Upgrades: expect min. 5-7 years, there will always be DEC available worldwide to fly the shiney jets. DO not believe that airplanes will be parked on ground, never ever happened so far and I don't think it ever will. There are enough pilots worldwide to fill the slots. And they will not care if you resign if you don't get your upgrade. Join, work, make money and wait for your time, unless you find a better job in the meantime.
The other thing which I think is even more important: can you live in an arabic, islamic country, can your family stand it? Read up on Dubai, Doha, Abu Dhabi, not just on pprune but also from other perspectives. Life is completly different from Europe or the Americas. You will spend a considerable amount of your life here, especially your family while you enjoy a break in New York, Shanghai or Bangkok.

flyby71
4th Jan 2010, 14:50
Hello Everyone

Does anybody know if Qatar Airways has a transport for crew members from the compound to the tower/airport if one does not have a car and how much does it cost?
Also, when you arrive into your accomodations, is the land line phone already working? Can you make international calls?
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Fubaliera
4th Jan 2010, 19:02
You have transport for one week only then your on your own
Telephone take about 60days

flyby71
4th Jan 2010, 20:10
Thank you all for a quick response. It really helps. So I gather that the landline is up and running when I show up, is that correct? I just wanted to make sure that my wife can somehow call me before I get a mobile phone or internet. Should I just buy a mobile phone at the airport?
Thanks again

Capt Krunch
5th Jan 2010, 04:20
flyby71

dont worry man, as mentioned, your wife can call you but you wont be able to make international calls. dont buy a phone in the airport, just wait until you arrive as there are a million places to get decent phone here at a better price than that of the airport. that part is easy.

poisoned by compromise
krunch

bumba
5th Jan 2010, 07:47
...and can you drive with an international drivers licence?

RJ900NG
5th Jan 2010, 17:31
Can any one please tell how long it takes QR to respond to your application....

Thanks

DooblerChina
5th Jan 2010, 18:45
Hello guys,

Can I have an idea how many days in the month people stay in their own beds on all fleets?

Thanks,

DC

junglie-driver
5th Jan 2010, 20:55
Good evening all, managed to get a lot of good info from Prune about the company and the assessment/ Sim process. Somehow managed to get an interview date this month. Wondering if anyone out there has any new info or been through the process recently and could provide (either publicly or privately) any top tips to succeed.... Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and good luck with the job hunting. JD

EGCC4284
5th Jan 2010, 21:26
Me and eight others from that Blue UK charter airline did day 1 today in Gatwick. Very nice people and all eight of us passed the exam and interviews. All got the sim tomorrow here in Gatwick.

Very very nice people and made the day very pleasent.

CDRW
5th Jan 2010, 21:48
EGCC - they have to be very nice people at the interview - if they showed their true colours - you would all run a mile!

loc22550
6th Jan 2010, 06:26
QR. offers the cheapest package for pilots compared to our biggest rivals here and majors Actors in the gulf(EK,AA,EY.. )and Doha probably not the most pleasant,civilised... place to live in the gulf....(let's not even talk about the mentality here inside QR!).
So...There is not one million way to attrack people here : just Keep smiling..!:}

Capt Krunch
6th Jan 2010, 10:08
EGCC4284

do you honestly think they would send the most undesirables to conduct interviews and attract pilots ?

meeting the nice friendly frontmen for the airline is not a clear depiction of the work environment you will be faced with once signing your life away.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

Captain Oryx
6th Jan 2010, 10:34
Actually, I found them very representative.:ok:

Random75
6th Jan 2010, 14:50
I heard that Ain Khalid Gate is now full and new joiners will be put into a new compound. Could anyone expand on this with a name of the new compound and any other details? Thanks

Phantom Driver
6th Jan 2010, 19:05
EGCC4284

Very very nice people and made the day very pleasent.

You will find that this is generally the case, despite what you may read on this "forum". Conduct yourself in a professional manner (which we all do, don't we?!) and there really should be no problem.

Anyone coming to the Middle East does so with eyes wide open, and with their own reasons for making the move; always been the case and nothing has changed. Lot of good advice has been posted here over the years; sort out the wheat from the chaff (may need some work, as lots of the latter). Your choice. Good luck.

(p.s-No, not a manager, instructor, etc etc. This in anticipation of the barbs from the usual sources).

Royalblue
6th Jan 2010, 19:42
Any one knows if you can reapply in less than 1 year from your interview???Apparently they were looking for astronauts to answer the written test when I was there :)...Seriously if you don't know what kind of clouds altocumulus lenticularis are you are not a good pilot....!!!!)(@*$*(&$@(*&@$**&

Royalblue
6th Jan 2010, 19:50
I was called for an interview 2 years ago and rejected it after I heard about their process.... Too bad Qatar changed the process also in the last 6 months.Now you can't even do personal interview if u fail the written :)...

flyby71
7th Jan 2010, 12:16
Good Afternoon Everyone

Does anybody know what is the best place to rent a car for the first few months and how much would it cost?

cheers mates

TAP
7th Jan 2010, 20:09
EGCC - Any chance for some feedback on your tech paper?! Cheers!

burble
8th Jan 2010, 08:38
Likewise Flyby71, any specifics, as I'm sure you appreciate, would be a big help.

Daft Wader
8th Jan 2010, 13:26
QR & BS .... surely not !!

May the farce be with you

Brgds

Yogi Bear

Mr Gammon Flaps
8th Jan 2010, 18:37
Hello Chaps:

Can anyone tell me if there are any longhaul Captains commuting from DXB or AUH, so that the housing allowance can be put towards a mortgage there? (I know about the property situation in DXB:})

I don't necessarily mean using staff ID90 all the time, but perhaps firm tickets on Flydubai etc.

I saw this topic before but it was replied to by the 320 guys.

Thoughts or comments appreciated.

Cheers

GF

P.S Any chance of a 777 driver giving a typical roster (I know, they will change as the fleet expands, just looking for the current picture). Thanks

flyby71
9th Jan 2010, 00:28
burble

If you have any specific questions, I would be more that happy to answer them. I did benefit from the forum myself and I intend to provide the same for all of you attending/preparing for a big day , so please do not be shy, fire away with anything you would like to ask and I will post it here for all of you guys/girls to know what to expect. No need to send me PM, I will post it here so everybody can see.
The interview process was actually very nice(this is my own opinion). I do understand that guys that did not succeed may be discontent or pissed off. This is our true nature after all, when we fail. I speak from what I saw during stay in Doha. They fly you business class and meet you when you enter the terminal to process all your paperwork so you do not have to stand in immigration/customs line. Very nice I thought, especially when they have ungodly amount of applications sitting on their desks. They do not have to do it, yet they still do. Once you're done with the paperwork, the representative will take you straight to the Marriott's desk and you're on your way to the hotel.
Next day, company presentation on their future plans, written exam, personal interview and simulator. Unfortunately, if you fail written or personal interview you're done. Let me concentrate on the written first. Remember, you fail, that's it. How to prepare for it? I actually went over about 7 JAA ATPL books and made an outline of what I thought was important. Next step was to go over the ACE book and by then you ARE able to answer the questions on the quiz. I do not remember exact q's but concentrate on air law, performance(big one), mass and balance, general navigation(u do not have to know what frequencies VOR operate on), flight planning, meteorology and that should be it. No formulas to remember. If you're willing to do it or you perhaps know it, you're more than fine. Personal interview is very easy, at least that's what I think. Scenarios very from tell me about the time when you:
had to work for a demanding manager
had a confict in the cockpit
what can you bring to the company
etc.
Sim portion, cake walk. Takeoff, raw data, level off at some altitude, radar vectors for an ILS approach, land and then do it the second time. No V1 cuts, no emergencies. That's all folks. Please study before you come, relax(I know it's hard when you're sitting in front of 3 people asking questions) and enjoy your time.
The hotel is right on the water, take a taxi to the Souqs, you'll like it. I hope it helps.
Cheers Mates

Another thing off the subject, I do not want to hear any comments about the company from guys/girls currently flying over there. This was a post of what the interview looks like, not your likes nor dislikes. I myself have been laid off from 5 flying jobs in the past 18 months so keep your opinions about fleet transfers and upgrades to yourself- I don't want to hear it, read about it in the previous 80 plus pages.(no I am not a DEC)

Wango Z Tango
9th Jan 2010, 07:03
Mr Gammon Flaps

it's been mentioned time and time again, commuting is not a good option here. Days off are not written in stone and can change at anytime to suit operational needs. it's always been that way, nothing new.

a look at B777 skipper December sched.

return from JFK (02).
OFF (03-04).
JED (05).
Standby (06-08).
Bombay All night flt (09)
OFF (10-11).
Standby (12-13-14).
OFF mandatory prior to ULR (15-16)
KIAH (17 - 21)
OFF mandatory post ULR (22-23-24).
Standby (25)
MNL early morning 00:55 (26-29)
OFF (30)
Standby (31)

enjoy the commute

wZt

nopoal
9th Jan 2010, 07:43
Hi all!!

Any clues about how is the roster for an FO on the A330 and the A320??

Thanks

Nice landings :cool:

Mr Gammon Flaps
9th Jan 2010, 08:13
Wango Z Tango:

Thanks for your comments. It definitely looks like commuting is a no go.

What's with the sporadic standbys in between what would be a reasonable amount of days off?

Is that a representative roster, or slightly busier due to being Xmas with a lot of guys on leave?

GF

Captain Oryx
9th Jan 2010, 09:31
It is a fairy representative roster. No commuting.

In case you missed it,

NO COMMUTING!!:=:=:=

Good Luck.

Fubaliera
9th Jan 2010, 18:02
flyby71, who the do you think you are, we will complain all we want. fcuk you. By the way, if you come here with that kiss azz agenda of gratefulness your in for a shock.

Mr Gammon Flaps
9th Jan 2010, 19:09
Big Neon:

Thanks for your input.

I have heard the FTL's are based on CAP 371, so I understand what the minimum day off requirements are; my question in an inarticulate way was asking if they plan to give 8 days off as a target, which I believe you have answered.

Cheers

GF

Che Xindamail
10th Jan 2010, 08:16
Fubaliera is another example that drinking and posting is not a good idea.

Capt Krunch
10th Jan 2010, 09:00
Mr Gammon Flaps

it seems that days OFF is a big concern for you. Justifiably so, personal time is important to everyone here. BUT, please keep in mind that those 8 days OFF per month that we speak of does NOT always mean days OFF in Doha. many of the more senior pilots can confirm that in many cases you might receive days OFF out-sation thus taking away from your time OFF in Doha.. (i.e. 2 days OFF while on layover in JNB = 6 days remaining OFF in Doha), thats just the way it is.

does not happen on the B777,, YET !! but, it's coming.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

loc22550
10th Jan 2010, 10:50
I do confirm..(Since they don't have to pay anymore special allowance for days off outside Doha):
Recently i had 5 days off for the month...outside Doha!
Might be good ..if you are single...,bad if your family is in Doha.!

flyby71
10th Jan 2010, 13:48
FUBA

You are such a tool. That's all I have to tell you.

Captain Oryx
10th Jan 2010, 14:16
[QUOTE]FUBA

You are such a tool. That's all I have to tell you/QUOTE]

Now, Now, be gentle with Fuba. After being "embraced" by China Airlines' cabin crew he has discovered that the flight ops dept. does not share the same affection for his "talents".

Gotta be tough on the old man!:ok:

flyby71
10th Jan 2010, 14:45
"Now, Now, be gentle with Fuba. After being "embraced" by China Airlines' cabin crew he has discovered that the flight ops dept. does not share the same affection for his "talents"."

hahahaha, that's funny. He must simply hate life and everything that involves it. Tell him that Wizz Air is currently looking for such "talented" individuals. He's got the A320 time after all.

Fubaliera
10th Jan 2010, 18:00
Capt Orex, Im glad you read all my post ,keep up the good work.

Capt Krunch
11th Jan 2010, 04:00
During my time on various fleets over the years, looking back at all my rosters (I keep copies) an average of 10 months out of the 12 I have had 2 to 5 days OFF out of Doha base, leaving little time home with the family. As already mentioned, this might be OK for single guys but very bad for a family man. Having said that, what use is being single and having an official day OFF in a place like Lagos or worse.:ugh:

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

managed_mode
11th Jan 2010, 20:55
Hey guys......i'm faced with a big dilemma for quite a few days now..

I've been offered a Snr F/O job with promise of Command in 3 months with a LCC. I know 5 f/o's personally in that company and all upgraded in 3-4 months.

I've just started out with QR. The word out is that it takes nearly 5-7 yrs for upgrade and whats really scary i hear is the Command Upgrade Interview. Its quite hard and many fail it. If you fail....u wait another year. Is all this true?

Should one leave an airline like QR for a LCC only for Command????

The pay over there of a Captain is lower than what we make as f/o's in QR.

Plutos
11th Jan 2010, 23:44
It all depends on your age ... I would say

Capt Krunch
12th Jan 2010, 02:07
managed_mode

well first off, Plutos has a valid point.
Rest assured that there have been many F/O's leave QA with very little time spent working here, some have even left during the training phase. that said, it is my personal opinion that PIC time means EVERYTHING to your future, if you go with a company like CX it does not really matter. but if your going to ex-pat around the globe then it's vital you have PIC time if you are looking for money and position.
At QA even if you are selected (some bad apples are not) and you fail, the time might be more than 1 year before being selected again, and every-time the management changes (that happens quite often) then the rules also change and usually not in your favor.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

flyby71
12th Jan 2010, 11:43
Hello Everyone

I was wondering if we have anybody on this forum that was hired as an FO and actually upgraded at big Q. If you're out there, please share your thoughts and experiences. I am faced with the same dilemma as Managed_Mode, but being over 40 puts things in a different perspective. What should one do?

Thanks

managed_mode
12th Jan 2010, 12:50
Thanks Plutos and Capt Krunch.........I am 33 yrs old. I am looking to stay in an airline like QR. I'm not really interested in expating around the globe as a PIC. Based on my response it would seem like staying in QR would make sense if you are going to upgrade eventually. Even if I we're to apply as a DEC, I would have to work atleast a min. of 3 years to accumulate the required experience.

But from what I've heard about the Command Interview......the 5 year wait seems to be the least of your worries. I'm looking to get inputs about the Command Interview and how good or bad is it. Like flyby71.....I would very much like to know your experiences as it would help me make an informed decision.

The last thing you would want after waiting 5-6 years for Command is repeated failing the Command Interview year after year.

bumba
12th Jan 2010, 15:04
...since it seams a lot of pilots are heading there ... are there significant changes on the interview process, technical questions, sim scenarios etc...

Royalblue
20th Jan 2010, 02:51
Fubaliera, Capt Oryx, Capt krunch or anybody else do you know if they will accept your reapplication in less than 1 year from you initial interview? or its pretty solid about the 1 year before you reapply?:)

flamingmoe
20th Jan 2010, 03:08
Thinking of applying to Qatar with about 8000 total, 4500 glass jet, and 2000 command (737NG). If successful, what fleet would I likely go to? And would I be competetive as a DEC? Thanks in advance for advice.

Capt Krunch
20th Jan 2010, 11:09
Royalblue

it's pretty solid mate. they do keep track. having said that, you might be able to slip under a crack and get thru, but then again you also stand a chance to make things worse for yourself.

flamingmoe

well Mr Szyslak.
you might be able to land on the B777, but the lack of Widebody time may stand as an issue for DEC,. having said that, it's happened before so there is no real meter to gauge your luck. they are getting quite tired of all the hard landing though:ugh:
I still dont understand how thats done on a B777:confused:

poisoned by compromise
Krunch

fokkerplod
20th Jan 2010, 11:10
Hi All and good luck to everyone who is, has or will be going through the Qatar Selection.

Any ideas what happens next if you get through...

i.e. medical, references, qatar CAA etc...

Thanks

Fokker Plod

Tiennetti
25th Jan 2010, 14:32
Hi all!
Someone knows wich will be the accomodation for FOs when Ain Khalid will be full? Any estimate about when the max capacity of Ain Khalid will be reached?

Linerider
25th Jan 2010, 16:08
Ain Khalid is already full/close to full. Some single First Officers are being relocated to Holiday Villa:

Holiday Villa Hotel & Residence City Centre, Doha (http://www.holidayvilladoha.com/)

Fubaliera
25th Jan 2010, 16:51
Since a few weeks ago its at max capacity.

Tiennetti
25th Jan 2010, 17:07
So, where are new entries going?

Baron buzz
25th Jan 2010, 18:42
But some guys literally last week went to Ain Khalid Gate...

I think they are trying to put families there and the singles into 'holiday' villas.

I'm sure someone else knows more.....

Paper Lad
26th Jan 2010, 11:22
It would seem that Ain Khalid Gate is full, or nearly full, at what point are new joiners told where they will be living? Is it upon arrival or before you leave your home country?

Linerider
28th Jan 2010, 12:06
New Joiners won't find out where they will be staying until they have arrived in Doha. Sometimes pilots are put in temporary accommodation first, other times they will be sent straight to their permanent residence.

gliderdriver
28th Jan 2010, 12:58
Hello guys,

Does anybody know what is the hiring future for Qatar Airways for FOs and how long usually it takes for an applicant for First Officer position of getting call.

Thank you in advance.

(A330 type more that 1000+ on type, 8000+total, 3000 jet command)

tcas II
28th Jan 2010, 13:46
with your experience, it shouldn't wait for too long. why don't you try Etihad, they are hiring also.:cool: