View Full Version : Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

FL123
25th Jun 2012, 01:31
check PM
thanks,
FL123

Global01
25th Jun 2012, 04:58
Yes Sir !! It isn't from QR, Definitely ....:ok:

FL123: Done, check yours...

casablanca
25th Jun 2012, 07:07
Paramount is a recruitment agency that was doing some of the selection for Qatar. They obviously were told their services are not required for the time being. Whether or not this is an indication of anything is to be seen. As I posted several days ago they were supposedly told that recruitment would slow while they concentrate on clearing out the over-filled pool.

slystallone
25th Jun 2012, 08:03
Can someone confirm what the staff travel benefits are for your parents and siblings?

Zakary
25th Jun 2012, 09:08
The article says that the 450 pilot concerned by this are the ones with more than 25 years service with Air France, and it's a voluntary leave with a prime in the pocket , and it is not immediate , to be achieved by 2015 .....

330airbus
25th Jun 2012, 10:54
At the moment, QR are not exactly desperate for Pilots as they were last year.
By the end of this year, when a lot of guys are done training, rosters and things should look better in general.
Even the new NTSO are assigned the 330 due to no space on the 320.
Ofcourse they will need Pilots for a VERY long time, but at the moment I personally don't think they need them urgently..
So nobody will be given 9 months leave. IMO!
Ofcourse anything could happen.

Yes benefits for parents, siblings, and extended family.
There is a list in the mail. (brother in law, mother in law, etc.)
10 ID50 and or ID90 total.

tali
25th Jun 2012, 11:13
Now I wonder why people leave the company..... people with a lot of experience to the 320,, for 3-4 years.... then moving to CAP on the same a320....... 10 years stuck on the a320... WELL DONE QR!!! and they still think why people leave??...

Stick35
25th Jun 2012, 11:45
" At the moment, QR are not exactly desperate for Pilots as they were last year.
By the end of this year, when a lot of guys are done training, rosters and things should look better in general".

Here goes my chance. Always have the odds against me.:{ :suspect:

330airbus
25th Jun 2012, 12:13
Tail,

It is an unfair industry. A lot of things depend on luck, and that applies to almost everywhere.

Stick35,

If you're in the system, you WILL be called.
These were my assumption from what I see, but guys on holding pool will get their chance.
Don't stress it mate.

Iver
25th Jun 2012, 12:22
Tali,

The word on the street is that the shiny, new 787 fleet will be largely crewed by pilots sourced from the A320 fleet. We will see if that actually happens. Potentially 60 787 airframes at QR would require a lot of A320 pilots down the line (of course not all 787 pilots would come from the A320 - but evidently a substantial number - if plans do not "change").

Again, it will be interesting to see how the 787s are crewed.

Global01
25th Jun 2012, 18:41
I was just kidding when i said 9 months :)

It's just funny reading these articles about the aviation economy in EU, Bit worrying, No wonder that will reach the middle east few years from now...

captain.weird
25th Jun 2012, 21:58
Maybe I need to start my flight training now to make a chance within QR :rolleyes:

Wai Wai
26th Jun 2012, 08:54
Anyone familiar with Qatar Executive who may be able to give insight for someone who is current and qualified on a 605 who is looking to make the jump?

Aviator29a
26th Jun 2012, 16:30
Hallo fellow aviators received my pass email today but they stated that they are
Going to delay my offer of employment and DOJ.They stated that they are putting me in the Flight Deck Pool of Talent. No time frame provided.

Has anyone received such an email? Or is it their standard pass letter.
Please someone give me some info as to the meaning of this.:rolleyes:

chrislikesblue
26th Jun 2012, 18:27
I am interested to do a 2 hours session on a b777 to prepare for an airline assessment. Anyone could recommend a training centre to do this at a reasonable price?

Global01
26th Jun 2012, 19:06
Anyone ?????????????????????? Your perfomance judges your rank on the list, That's the only explanation i see ....

ryanb5005
26th Jun 2012, 19:55
I received my pass email a month ago and today I received the talent pool email. Anyone have any details?

ADY
26th Jun 2012, 20:00
When did you apply ryanb5005?

casablanca
26th Jun 2012, 20:10
I know someone who interviewed in April, received the pass letter in May and yesterday a similar delay letter. His also said there would be an update at the end of July.
Sounds like they are at least trying to keep track of everyone. I guess at least they acknowledge your in the pool.... Better info than some have received

twapilot1971
26th Jun 2012, 21:40
Aviator29a, when did you interview?

Global01
27th Jun 2012, 00:04
That's a good thing what they are doing.. At least you know that you're delayed with the approximate date so you can plan or have a second plan..

BRAVO QATAR AIRWAYS !

SAABGUY
27th Jun 2012, 02:10
G'day Global.

I've been reading the posts about Qatar and I get the feeling that you either work there or are knowledgable about the in and outs of the company.

I'm a turboprop captain working in Sydney. I like my job but I know I wanna get on a jet at some stage.

I interviewed in January 2012 and was told I had the job around march/April. I'm not in any hurry to leave my current job but an ex-colleague of mine who works for Qatar told me me that a mate of his who works in HR said my file is with HR, which apparently is a good sign. (I know my punctuation sux)!

I'm up for the FTSO position. My understanding is that whilst training I'm considered an SO for wage considerations but once checked I'll be a normal FO checked to line in the right seat. At this stage I'm up for the 320 which I think would be better than a heavy for me as I'll get more sectors/ TO's and landings.

Having command time on a turboprop lighter than than 15000 kg doesn't open many doors into jets. I know that there ain't to many operators out there that want me in the right seat of one of there jets (except for maybe Kazakhstan air!!).

I guess what I wanna know from you is what you think of the company, I know there is short comings when it comes to the training backlog. Do you find that the wage, Accomodation allotment etc is fair and equitable for a good standard of living?

A mate of mine is over there now and he's only just starting his training after three months. I know that it's par for the course, but I would rather stay here and work until my start date and then go over. With proper communication with management thru emails, do you reckon it'd be possible to organize sim dates so that I could stay here, work and then head over a month ahead of time?

Anyway, I've rambled for long enough, I hope you can answer some of my questions.

Regards.

PS I hope I haven't come across as one of the blokes who expect the world, I'm just trying to organize and educate myself the best I can so that I can try to have a seamless transition!! (if that's possible with Qatar!! Haha)

Global01
27th Jun 2012, 03:51
Good day mate ! Good to hear a SAAB aussie in here :ok:

I was doing :
Sydney Albury
Sydney Newcastle
Sydney Mildura & Wagga wagga etc.... You can guess ;)

Well ! Wage , Accomodation etc is good enough comparing AUS

"A mate of mine is over there now and he's only just starting his training after three months. I know that it's par for the course, but I would rather stay here and work until my start date and then go over. With proper communication with management thru emails, do you reckon it'd be possible to organize sim dates so that I could stay here, work and then head over a month ahead of time?"

No way ! Not possible mate .....:= They want you to resign first before you join, and your start date begins when you sign the contract since you'll be paid from day 1, during training as well..plus can't leave country during the probation period...

Dude i miss those day, where are you based ? Sydney ? REX ? S340 ?

cheers !

Andrexxx
27th Jun 2012, 06:03
Hi all,
I received the same letter on 25th June, I think it's a standard one: I never got a "good news" email, but directly this one...
At least we formally know that we have to be patient and wait !!! :ugh:
Good luck everybody :ok:

simmatch
27th Jun 2012, 06:18
Hi all,

Got the same Talant pool Email and the next update promised in a month.
Interview March 3'rd week. Pass Letter May 20, and now this...Don't know what exactly means??
But At least it's good that they are comunicating!
FO position, Non Type Rated.

:suspect::suspect::suspect:
Cheers!!

flyforfood1
27th Jun 2012, 11:37
"Talent Pool" - I do like that phrase....:E

hotflyier
27th Jun 2012, 12:36
Hello All,
Can Anyone Update on Qatar DEC Wide Body inductions??? I have appeared for screening in Mid May'12 with Good Remarks but NO Further communication Till Date more than a month pass by. Does QR have any policy of Regrets or is it to be guessed that no Congratulations letter means a Sorry, No Entry???
If anyone is acquainted with this, kindly update.
Happy Landings to One Nd All....

Tritzo
27th Jun 2012, 16:54
same talent pool mail. on the one hand it is nice to hear that i am still in the system, on the other hand i feel disappointed, because i had the assessment almost half a year earlier (beginning of november 2011) than most other people waiting. i had to give away a payed typerating on a learjet to someone else, because i was told qatar airways will come soon.
dont get me wrong, i am willing to wait for it.
i just hope the time of the interview counts into the consideration for whom to give the slots for the typerating to as well.
and not just "we have 10 slots for tr, lets take random 10 people, whose file is on the top of the others"

Zakary
27th Jun 2012, 18:05
Hi all,
A question for the guys who received the "Talent Pool" email, from witch departement did ou get it? Recruitement or HR ? ( the email adress)
Thanks

upwhereIbelong
27th Jun 2012, 23:45
Quick question,the email from holly miles ,was 1 time right,and contained this 3 questions if employed and if resigned and notice period ,right?
Thx

Up

Zakary
28th Jun 2012, 05:39
For me it was the only email from here yes ...

sqn012
28th Jun 2012, 09:17
never received the "talent pool" email

just received the holy miles email

selection 7th Feb
good news 9th March
offer 9th April FO A320

next email end of July for a DOJ ?
hope so...

mamad
28th Jun 2012, 16:24
Guys

Do not forget please to post your interview infos . as that is very valuable infos

for us wannabee joiners in a couple of months

thanks

Smoothflight
29th Jun 2012, 00:15
Hi PPRuNers,
Experience Total flight time 7700 hrs.
B733 and B734 total of 4400 hrs as F/O
Applied January 2012
Interview offered May the 2nd but could not attend, Then offered June 12th.
Did the interview.
28th June - Good news. Talent pool.
Just wanted to share this with you. Got a replay in about two weeks.

Smoothflight
29th Jun 2012, 00:17
Also to add this, Email says to expect further news in July.

IRS ALIGN
29th Jun 2012, 10:15
Hi Chris

If you PM me I can give you advice on a facility I know about.

VJW
30th Jun 2012, 11:37
Black pudding that's got nothing to do with what the OP asked!

Black Pudding
30th Jun 2012, 16:05
VJW

I deleted my post as I posted in wrong thread, was answering somone else in a dif thread. Sorry about that.

ironbutt57
30th Jun 2012, 16:11
Join the club hurry up n wait...DEC...18,000tt 4000 widebodyPIC.....

twapilot1971
1st Jul 2012, 18:43
Today I received the "Good News" and "Talent Pool" delay email. Update end of July.

Position: Widebody DEC (applied Feb. 16th)
Invitation to interview: April 1st
Interview date: May 3rd
Good News and Talent Pool: July 1st

Total time: 11000
Widebody PIC: 2300 (B-767)

casablanca
2nd Jul 2012, 04:26
I have a friend who is an airbus Capt at Qatar.....he said the current word around there is that they have their numbers for the year. It may be next year at this time before they get to us in the pool.
That is not the news I was hoping for, but honestly I dont think anyone really knows......still hoping for the best.

iQatar
2nd Jul 2012, 06:17
..he said the current word around there is that they have their numbers for the year

Then why do they still interview pilots?

ADY
2nd Jul 2012, 07:44
Is there any one who has been programmed for interview the coming days?

Global01
2nd Jul 2012, 19:29
Can anyone please PM me Capt.Dusty Miller's Email ? (MPS at Qatar Airways)

Thanks !

G01

daknarr
2nd Jul 2012, 19:44
Perhaps I'm late to the convo, but my interview date was 20May...still no word. Should I be worried?

safelife
2nd Jul 2012, 19:44
Recruitment is really slow these days, and will stay that way for some time to come.
DEC A320 and FO B777 are still taken on, otherwise almost no hiring.

daknarr
2nd Jul 2012, 20:01
So I'll not worry...too much. I interviewed for the FO position. Make any difference?

Ethiopia
3rd Jul 2012, 11:20
Anybody who got the good news but not the talent pool email or the offer letter?

bahabel
3rd Jul 2012, 17:20
Yes, Already i invited for next week, any good helping news?

cccc
3rd Jul 2012, 17:53
I received the good news in March, but nothing since then. No offer, no talent pool, nothing. :(
I hope to receive the offer soon.
Being patient...
Cheers,
cccc

joserosell
3rd Jul 2012, 21:46
I am in the same position, screening in February , positive email in March, nothing since then.No talent pool and no news.It's quite frustrating.Applied for Second officer fast track.

Iver
4th Jul 2012, 14:57
A more bungled HR process I have never seen... Al Baker is fine spending billions on the finest aircraft but his HR process is outsourced to Somalia...:}

FL123
4th Jul 2012, 16:21
LMAOOOO...... that was funny!!!:E:E:E

Paparoach
4th Jul 2012, 17:12
Applied end of 2011
Invited for the selections early February 2012
No news until....
Good news + Talent pool email: July 2012!

Further news to be expected in late July. But I guess another round of waiting time is coming!

Good luck to all waiting for a good news!

jojo737
5th Jul 2012, 05:32
Hi ,
I have an interview with Qatar coming soon . What can i expect for the assessment ; i am already rated on B777 .
Thanks for your answers .

rain dance maggie
5th Jul 2012, 14:52
Anybody received DOJ from QR , since Holly M. Email???

speedhold
5th Jul 2012, 16:38
Hi guys quick question I recieved my contract around 5 weeks ago and submitted the contract back to HR along with my passport copy and also put down the date I wanted to join. The date I requested to Join is in October.

About 2 weeks later I got the mass email from H miles that everybody got . Was that email the talent hold email ??? . It did not say anything about talent hold pool. Since that email I have not got anything from anyone else. Is there anyone that is in my position or can someone clarify.

cheers

light and variable
5th Jul 2012, 16:45
. . there must be bags of people in your situation, be patient. What exactly needs to be clarified!

727lvr
5th Jul 2012, 17:24
got the same email 5 weeks ago and didn't mention anything about talent pool either. I think there was two different emails sent out , one stating they were re-evaluating their training footprint and the other for a talent pool. Don't know what the difference is ........

Hopefully the people who got the first email will get DOJ's soon , fingers crossed :)

CLOUDSDRILLER
5th Jul 2012, 17:45
Hi, Intake,
I have had the same problem when willing to attach my documents.
Had to re-scan all of them, at a much lower resolution, until reaching an acceptable "weight", while still keeping them clearly readable documents.
Good Luck to you,
See you soon ?

supersonic75
5th Jul 2012, 17:57
i noticed that :

1- those who got the contract , signed it and sent it back recieved the (Holly .M ) email with the 3 questions

2- those who didnt get their contract yet recieved the ( talent pool )

i think this is the difference between the 2 emails ? someone correct me please if im wrong !!

speedhold
5th Jul 2012, 18:25
you may be right i just wanted to see if people that got the contract were also getting the talent pool email.

cheers

Zakary
5th Jul 2012, 19:08
You're right supersonic75, I think the talent pool email is from the recruitement departement and the other one was from HR.
speedhold, I'm in the same situation as you.

speedhold
5th Jul 2012, 19:34
zakary

okay so other people are in the same boat ...

rain dance maggie
5th Jul 2012, 20:23
I totally agree with you.
I 'm still waiting for the DOJ.
It's been 7 weeks now!!!And not even a ''wait untill...'' from them....
:confused::confused:

upwhereIbelong
5th Jul 2012, 22:32
Patience,patience specially those already assigned 320.
Same as speed hold and others ,check my mail everyday.

They clearly work to reduce the backlog as I can see by prompt replies concerning documents that had a change like passport.
Its hard but all we can do wait ,we have a offer signed and that is the big difference.

Up

cccc
6th Jul 2012, 06:03
And then there were who didn't receive anything since the pass mail, such as myself. :(
I received the pass mail in March, and waiting since then. No talent pool, no contract.
And still waiting...
Cheers,
cccc

supersonic75
6th Jul 2012, 11:54
i posted this (info) before :

after i got my contract ( F.O / A320 ) back in ( may-2012 ) i called my joining cordinator asking her : how long can i delay my join date ? she told me you must join before and no more than 12 months from your interview date !!

i understod from this that they have maximum 12 months from interview date for the candidate to join ?? i dont know if :

1- thats still the case now ,or

2- its been changed since they are really not being able to handle all those massive numbers of new pilots joining ??

@ cccc cheer up and stay positive :O
as for me , i beleive that all those who got the (good news) email shouldnt worry , even if they didnt get any email after that till now !! i dont think QR will waste the money of your visa ,ticket , hotel and sim flying and find you as a (good pilot) :) passed all the interview bull:mad: and then simply just let you go ?? that would be really stupid !! i dont think they would do that keeping in mind they are still doing interviews which means they didnt get the ( number ) of new pilots they have in mind yet :)
thats why im saying : they (need you) , if you ( passed ) then you are ( in )

Tritzo
6th Jul 2012, 14:01
if this is true, its like shooting yourself in the leg.

why pay so much money for accomodating people in hotels during interviews, blocking training captains AND simulators for days, just to assess people and screen then (if they already have a shortage of both), a whole lot of hr and recruitment paperwork and THEN kick them out after one has passed? Which was initially not even ones fault but the lack of proper pre-planning.
Just to recruit more people to have even more blockage of simulators and ground staff.

the problem is, i believe anything can happen in mid east by someones unthroughthought decision. good things and bad things, also sometimes stupid things.

lets hope this is not true.

rain dance maggie
6th Jul 2012, 14:45
And what about all those June's A330 assigned SO's contracts???
Why did they offered them the job??
I only believe its a matter of time for everyone who has signed an offer of employment....
For the rest who are in the pool , they just have to wait for the 787's to arrive and then they will start contact people again...

ironbutt57
6th Jul 2012, 15:54
Any idea how long one can swim in the pool until the interview "expires" and a re-assessment is required?

Andrexxx
6th Jul 2012, 16:31
Hi guys,
just an info please: I received the good news talent pool email few a weeks ago, (I'm A330 Type rated FO) but a bit worried because I'm not flying since January and the TR is expiring on November... do you think I should renew it at the SIM before joining QR ?:rolleyes: I know they do provide a couple of FFS before line training regardless of you're type rated or not: do you think that it should be better to keep it current until joined or not? Thank you very much in advance ;), Cheers !

RK303
6th Jul 2012, 17:00
They are financially powerful, you’re talking about QR ,they don’t care.
You should observe and see that for QR it’s all about circumstances and opportunities. Unlimited Adaptability, High flexibility and it works very well for them.
The time you waited compared to what you’ve been told during your interview is a good example.The random time frame and order people are processed and the difference of treatement between each pilot no matter the category is a good example.The Spanair guys episod is a good example.
What they said today maybe totally different tomorrow.Who you are,what’s happening to you, how long did you wait, how difficult it was to get things done etc they don’t care. You’re just a tool.Company needs first mate.In this kind of environnement, you better have people inside.
If you understand that philosophy and accept it, you’ll do well also and you’ll be happy.

Good luck and it should be ok as you received the "talent" e-mail

av8tordude
6th Jul 2012, 22:48
the TR is expiring on November... do you think I should renew it at the SIM before joining QR ?

QR will send you home if you don't have a valid license. Not their rules, but QCAA.

CaptainProp
6th Jul 2012, 23:40
An expired type rating is not the same as not having a valid license.

SAS-A321
7th Jul 2012, 06:01
Hi guys,
just an info please: I received the good news talent pool email few a weeks ago, (I'm A330 Type rated FO) but a bit worried because I'm not flying since January and the TR is expiring on November... do you think I should renew it at the SIM before joining QR ? I know they do provide a couple of FFS before line training regardless of you're type rated or not: do you think that it should be better to keep it current until joined or not? Thank you very much in advance , Cheers !

If this was my situation I would revalidate my typerating before joining QR. It will give you a brush up of the aircraft without having QR instructors eyes on you and when you finally get to do the training with QR you will have capacity to focus on QR procedures, instead of having to get comfortable with the plane again.
It might cost a bit of money, but it is for your own benefit and not QRs, and they might appreciate your effort in keeping current.
Just keep in mind that they might give you another aircraft when you finally join.

Congrats on being in the pool and good luck.

Andrexxx
7th Jul 2012, 09:10
Thank you very much for your suggestions SAS A-321, they're a lot appreciated :ok:

hitacan
7th Jul 2012, 09:51
Until you sign the contract you are not in QR, so don't play with your future and keep your licence and TR up to date, in this business you never know...

rain dance maggie
8th Jul 2012, 16:28
Has anybody managed to get in touch(by phone or e-mail) with his coordinator since Holly M. email?
To me ,nobody answers the phone ,as well as nobody replies to a single email question....

Feedback?

woodman29
10th Jul 2012, 07:08
Hi,

I received the offer of Employment (a320 FO) in May, and the Holly M.
in May as well.
I have managed to speak with my coordinator in the beginning of
June, she told me to wait for a week or two to hear something from them, but
haven't heard from them since....

All the best to you, and hopefully we will meet in Doha soon.

Woodman

aviatoreboy
10th Jul 2012, 11:02
Hi Guys!!
Signed my contract 25th of april for FO A320 and I am still waiting for the contract to come back. Reached my coordinator a couple of days ago by mail and got the answer have patience we will get to you shortly:D . Of course I have also received the Holly M mail a month ago and replied to that also.
Seems that Q have a lot of pipelines in and they all are slow at the moment.

Cheers

CBs in vicinity
10th Jul 2012, 15:51
Applied Dec
Interview Feb
Good news Apr
Contract early May
Holly Miles letter End of May
DOJ received today
DOJ end of July

rain dance maggie
10th Jul 2012, 15:57
Thank u for your response,we' re almost through the same situation.
Hope we meet soon...

@aviatoreboy

What do u mean by ''I am still waiting for the contract to come back.''?
I do not think that the ''Offer of Employment ''(not the contract) must come back to u.
You just have to sign on it and state the target joining date only.Then u send it back to them and wait....

Thank u

FL123
10th Jul 2012, 16:15
It can be as short as 1-2 months from the date you have received the mail to as long as (more than) a year and the waiting can keep on going. But hang in there, not so far now.
By the way, when did you receive your short listed email?

FL123

aviatoreboy
10th Jul 2012, 17:40
Hey Rain Dance Maggie

Thought that you would receive some kind of response from the company one way or another after signing.

Stick35
10th Jul 2012, 18:13
I never got a email that im shortlisted. Si i guess they dont want me.:(. Dont even know what their criteria are.

Well, in that case im gonna delete my profile on their website.

Still looking for an airline break through.

casablanca
10th Jul 2012, 18:34
Has anyone been shortlisted, or called for an interview since the talent pool was started?
There have been rumors that they have their numbers for the next year( which doesnt make since if they are still calling people for interviews)
Hopefully as they start to get the 787 and few other aircraft that we will see the pool start to drain!

"CBs in Vicinity" What fleet are you going on?

CBs in vicinity
10th Jul 2012, 21:17
FO - 777 :ok:

Iver
10th Jul 2012, 23:41
Not bad! :ok: Total of 60 787 on order and optioned. Someone said that after an initial 5 airframes in 2012, and then starting in 2013, QR would receive a new 787 every 3.5 weeks... I'd take it if they offered me the right seat up front... :}:}:}:}:cool:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/0/1/2131103.jpg

Bandit07
11th Jul 2012, 01:12
To all,

Has anybody received an invitation for an interview beside DEC or FO type rated?

Thank you

simmatch
11th Jul 2012, 04:56
Thank you for the picture, very tempting:8:8:8. I can still smell that new plane smell when we sat on that simulator:p:p:p. I remember, when sitting outside the machine, waiting for our turn, a friendly Captain who was passing by, telling us "have fun guys but it will be a long time before you'll get to sit on the real one.":=:=:=

Any idea, guesses, how they plan to fill in those seats?? Existing bus drivers or tripple seven ones? OR the fresh recruits:yuk::yuk::yuk:???

Cheers.

flying apple
11th Jul 2012, 11:49
a new aircraft that still needs to be delivered and the captains seat look like it has been used for some years already
that's why i don't like the sheepskin

Airmann
11th Jul 2012, 12:14
The 787 are going to be flown by QR pilots who have worked their asses off for the company for the past 4-5 years. Mostly the guys from the 320. New joiners, you will most likely be put on the 320 and you will work your asses off for 3-4 years before you move onto something else.

flyforfood1
11th Jul 2012, 13:09
Well said Airman :ok:

Iver
11th Jul 2012, 13:34
Let's say you are hired as a type-rated A320 pilot and allocated to the A320/21 fleet. Given that you did not need a new type rating, how long before you could "bid" or request another fleet type? 2-3 years? Is there a minimum time expectation on each fleet? Does having the relevant type and experience make a difference?

flyforfood1
11th Jul 2012, 14:07
I think you could work on 3-4 years before a moving.

Type frozen is for 3 years, then you need to put in your request, thats has to be approved which would drag on for a while, plus there needs to be a requirement of course for the fleet you want to move to.

Although if the company has a requirement then it could be less, as per the 787.

Paparoach
12th Jul 2012, 07:17
Hey guys, it might sound a dumb question, but what is the "Holly M." referring to??

Why this name? Is it the name of the person who sent it? A specific everyday expression that I don't know? ... ?

Thanks!

PS: I received the talent pool mail last week, but no other email since my interview (NTSO) in February.

victor75
12th Jul 2012, 15:35
Just receive the Joining date : 16th September 2012 ! So happy

Capt Aviator
12th Jul 2012, 15:58
Congrats Victor75,:ok:

It's nice to see that there's movement for the NTSO/FTSOs:)

Cheers!

Shaggy330
12th Jul 2012, 16:09
G'day Gents (and Ladies),
I'm looking for some encouragement. I received the "Good News" letter nearly eight weeks ago. Since then, I know that at least one reference check was completed and positive (I assume the other was also) as I received a congratulatory email from the previous boss.

The Good News email indicated that it would take "…no more than 6 weeks…" for fleet allocation, etc. It's been nearly 8 weeks. This was for a DEC Command position. I interviewed in April.

So, are things moving normally, or should I be moving onwards to something else?

Daft Wader
12th Jul 2012, 16:10
Evening

The B787's should be 5 in 2012 and then a further 5 in 2013, it is quite a slow expansion.

The plan is to fill from the A320 after the initial batch from the B777.

The company I believe is trying to change to the A320 as the joining aeroplane for all unless you have widebody time ,TR A330. There would then be progression onto the other fleets from there.

Not an easy thing to achieve when you are constantly exapanding, but it is indication that people are at least considering making it a better system.

May the farce be with you

Daft Wader
:ok:

Iver
12th Jul 2012, 17:57
Daft,

Thank you for the information. Really? Only 5 787s delivered in 2013? I had heard differently but I don't work there and I do not have first-hand knowledge.

So, with potentially 60 787s to be delivered, are we talking a long time horizon? Another person suggested a new airframe every 3-4 weeks starting in 2013 but understand how that volume could be difficult to digest for any airline... Thanks for any further clarification. I am sure these recent newhires would prefer the faster pace...:}

merry bird
12th Jul 2012, 23:07
Hi i just joined pprune. Victor i guess it's a huge relief to hear from them after waiting So long. What fleet are you on?

Airmann
13th Jul 2012, 01:32
I don't know where you got the number 5 from daft. It's more like 12-16 787s in 2013, QR has 60 on order, and Boeing plans to ramp up its deliveries. Airbus A380s 2014, A320NEOs in 2015, A350s in 2015/2016, and A330 will be converted to freight some time around 2015/2016. If they want to match Emirates then that means adding 60-80 planes net over the next 4-5 years, and the pilot workforce growing to between 3500-4000.

Daft Wader
13th Jul 2012, 02:54
Morning

Will stick with my number and wait for the results to come in .

Expansion can continue as B787's replace B777's & A330's, freeing them up to open new routes and increase services to other destinations.

Perhaps the proposed growth will be more more managed in the future than some might expect.

Daft Wader
:ok:

Homo Ludens
13th Jul 2012, 12:45
Not shure about the 2013 787 deliveries, but we are receiving one more 777 in August and 8 or 9 more next year. Not to mention the 320s. How's that for expansion?
Cheers!

TakeItEasy
16th Jul 2012, 09:50
Hello Guys, I am considering to apply for DEC Position on the A320. I was reading all the previous posts including pros and cons. I am working for a LCC in Europe and I am really fed up of continuous dropping terms and conditions and for being blamed for everything. I would like to ask some CPs working for Qatar how they feel in terms of daily operation, and what is the relationship btw. Management and Pilots. I would be interseted in typical things like blame-philosophy (when and for what eg go-arounds), taking extra fuel, quality of F/Os, Sim-checks, medical check, training, CRM, philosophy of practice manual flying etc... So basically everything what you experience during daily operation, what you like and what you do not like. Thanks for everyone for honest replies.

Captain Partzee
16th Jul 2012, 10:31
TakeItEasy (http://www.pprune.org/members/121163-takeiteasy),

If you are concerned about with these issues:

"daily operation, and what is the relationship btw. Management and Pilots. I would be interseted in typical things like blame-philosophy (when and for what eg go-arounds), taking extra fuel, quality of F/Os, Sim-checks, medical check, training, CRM, philosophy of practice manual flying etc..."

Simple answer. Stay where you are.
Good luck!

salamalikum2
16th Jul 2012, 12:10
Takeiteasy,

1-sign in, do your fligtht, sign out, go home.
2- Don't interfere with cabin crew.
3- stay away from office.
4-and... be stable at 1000 AGL:}
And live will be "easy" for you....:)

perritopiloto
16th Jul 2012, 23:35
Hi all,
I've heard many new joiners not passing the training.
Is everything getting more difficult there?

Thanks

Iver
17th Jul 2012, 00:14
perrito,

I believe that a number of your countrymen had English-speaking challenges. Not sure about simulator results, etc. Without sounding extreme or xenophobic (I am not), it surprises me that many Spanair pilots in question at QR had poor English-speaking skills given the expansive UK/Ireland/Northern Europe charter schedule. I remember seeing Spanair flights in my airport on almost a daily basis. How could you fly into those areas without decent English skills? Regardless, I wish them well in finding good employment!

perritopiloto
17th Jul 2012, 01:42
Hi Iver.
I have nothing to do with JKK, so I do not know how did they manage to fly all around europe, better ask them.
Thanks for the info anyway. Is it only them who are failing the training or more people?

Take care

Cat3BNoDH
17th Jul 2012, 06:35
Its mostly them...

rain dance maggie
17th Jul 2012, 07:25
What fleet type they were assigned at?

I mean ,if they have plenty of new joiners at e.g.A320 , now they are starting to be more demanding....

cccc
17th Jul 2012, 10:55
Hi all,

Everybody knows that a lot of ex-Spanair guys went to QR and started their training. And apparently the training takes much longer than expected. And this due to 2 reasons: lack of English knowledge and no experience on type.
Please correct me if I am wrong. I am just trying to figure out something.

Did those guys went through the same kind of assessment as most of us did? I.e. have a presentation about the company, give a brief introduction about yourself in English of course, have 50 ATPL questions in English, have an interview with 2 captains... in English, and have a sim ride... where the talking had to be done in ... English!

Let's be honest... lots of Spanish guys/girls don't speak English, but Spanglish. And I know this, because I did my integrated ATPL training in Spain. And I have nothing against them, I actually love Spain and everhing that goes with it. But their English level, well it isn't a 4.

So, if they did the exact same assessment as we all had to do, how did they pass the selection then? Or did QR just see an opportunity of hiring rated people on the A320, without assessing them properly? Or am I missing something else?

In the mean time, I am still waiting for the offer, after the good news in March.

Cheers,
cccc

flyforfood1
17th Jul 2012, 11:12
Yes they will have done the standard assessment, however it will probably have been done in Spain and the results issued quickly. I had heard that there were many more than the 100 or so that got in failed on the quality of their English.

RK303
18th Jul 2012, 01:53
From my own experience as a non native english speaker, I’m making a clear distinction between two type of English. A basic one and a “sophisticated” one. The basic one is the one I faced during my initial training and the one I faced during the QR interview.No strong accent, normal rate of speech, simple dialogue and talks with people who want to talk to you in simple terms. So you are able to pass the interview assessment.
Now the “sophisticated” one is the one you will ear if someone put you in an Irish bar between two irish guys talking each other without any special effort and their natural rate of speech.Needless to say I’ll spend a hard time to understand at least 50% of what they are saying….
In europe of course, English is absolutely not the first language for many countries, so a huge extra effort is required by the one who want to become a pilot on the international field.That is not an easy task for many of us:rolleyes:.

seasexsun
18th Jul 2012, 05:31
Let's be honest, most of spanish pilots are poor quality pilots. Bad english level, bad pronunciation, lack of vocabulary and poor level of english comprehension. Furthermore, they all speak fast (bad and fast) and all of them tend to shout on the microphone. This is indeed what we may call spanglish. We can listen to them everyday (TNT, Ryanair, Vueling, Swiftair, Air Nostrum....:yuk:)
Another issue with them is the low quality of flight training in spain. Poor IFR basic skills and the question banks are learnt by heart without any understanding.

Ex spanair guys joined their airline only because they knew a friend inside. They've never had to attend any sort of proper assessment in their pilot career.
Most of them applied to Emirates straight away, and they all failed and ended up in Qatar Airways.:ugh:

Qatar Airways has lower terms and conditions and a higher pass rate compared to Emirates Airlines.

It is about time to think about it.:rolleyes:

(I am spanish, btw, but I trained in the USA)

gcc_
18th Jul 2012, 06:20
Seasexsun,

Horrible of you to generalize and use the word "most".

Lots of them are qualified good pilots.
Even IF some passed with poor skills, QR has a very good standard of training when you're in the airline, and they won't tolerate bull**** from guys like you who think are the minority good Spanish pilots.

Some guys are good but want to act like they're the best, those won't last. Some are horrible, and they won't last either.
It's the good pilots that do their job, or the average ones that do theirs, are the ones that last here.

casablanca
18th Jul 2012, 06:39
I dont know how many have failed...these stories tend to get bigger as time goes on. The truth is usually buried somewhere in the middle.
It does seem that many of these post are starting to get quite negative which cant possibly be helpful.
I did have a chance to attend my assessment with 6 Spanair pilots....They all seemed very nice and spoke descent English. It seemed to me they would be nice guys to work with!

perritopiloto
18th Jul 2012, 08:49
Seasexsun,
Nice to hear that you are better pilot than me (for sure you are) only because you were trained in USA.
To be honest, I've met some spanish who trained in the USA and their english level...... Sure it was 't you
Be happy

archer_737
18th Jul 2012, 09:35
Seasexsun

What about the spanish that made it to EK?

Stop talking rubbish, I'm spanish and passed EK assessment with 5 more spanish. Same week that a UK F/O with his native english failed. Same for a US 747 captain again native english (btw he did it as a DEC in QR)

Flying skills? Send me PM, if you are spanish we can meet here and you can show me your above the standard level (apparently mine flying the 777-200 sim was not that bad) but hey! I trained in Spain so sure I'm wrong!

Wind Shear Ahead
18th Jul 2012, 10:35
Seasexsun (I am spanish, btw, but I trained in the USA)

Tu eres gilipo*las y te expresas tan bien en Ingles como para que ahora nadie tenga dudas al respecto.
In English now... You are a dumb a*s and you express yourself so well in english that nobody now has any doubts about it.

And a "little" aside for the "HOW THESE JKK GUYS MADE IT THRU?" people in here

JKKs pilots went thru a regular full assessment in MADRID and DOHA (Tech questions, Interview with 2 Captains plus HR people and regular sim assessment). By the way, tech questions were SOOOOO EASY (Standard QR Questions and not JKK tailored) that some of you guys should really think about bragging about having been tech tested by QR.

Just a couple of guys failed the interview because of their lack of commadn of English (not hundreds as someone pointed out). Will some others have English problems during training?... maybe!. An Interview in English is one thing. Having to survive on a Level 4 in a full English Airline is a different ball game. Most non English native speakers will fully understand what I am saying.

Fail rate during training because of non language issues... consistent with the fail rate in any other group of 150 individuals. So, pls, don´t go about making an issue of something which is purely statistical.

And give the guys a Break... I fully understand how annoyed some of you guys might be as many of you are very eager and even in need to join QR. After months of waiting (lengthy process) it seems very unfair to be put in the "Pool of Talent" to give way to JKK but just keep in mind who runs the show. We all deserve respect so, pls, think before typing.

Regards and may all your wishes come true

WSA
JKK myself? yes... but not in QR.

Redline
18th Jul 2012, 11:51
Well.. I managed to speak to HR.. I've never had a particular problem getting through.. and they are always polite..

Today saw a noticeable shift in demeanor.. I was told that for the A320 the wait would be 'quite some time'.. when I gently pressed for that to be quantified.. it was 'I'm terribly sorry.. it will be quite some time.. and we hope for news from operations in the next week or so'...

Previously.. the responses had been somewhat more upbeat..

Sooo.. for me.. I'm going to get on with my life (I'm working).. and stop staring at my email account like a doe eyed puppy waiting for it's master to return..

It wasn't what I wanted to hear.. and I'm sure it's not what you wanted to hear..

upwhereIbelong
18th Jul 2012, 16:14
its just really annoying ,ifyou have to wait for bunch of guys and then aft training they fail:
I mean didnt they fly the Bus ?
Is it so much different down at Qatar ?
not judging just a opinion :*
my 50 cents ...

up

Iver
18th Jul 2012, 23:52
What do you expect when QR's HR function has been outsourced to Somalia?

Who knows, maybe the delay is due to the opening of 787 FO slots? Of course we have heard otherwise, but things seem to change quickly at QR... You never know...:}

ironbutt57
19th Jul 2012, 09:40
@ wind shear ahead....

'What did he say?' Brazilian pilots need crash course in English | SBS World News (http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1670058/What-did-he-say-Brazilian-pilots-need-crash-course)

hmmmmm.....

Royal Enfield
19th Jul 2012, 10:18
Does anybody know the direct email of the HR personnel in QR,.

PepeCRK
20th Jul 2012, 10:23
First thing I,d like to know is your age, the second thing is your total flight hours, and finally the company in wich you are flying now.
I can see that this post was written by a stupid teen-aged "pilot".
Perhaps if you had a normal averaged common sense you would not have written so many stupid things.
Make a phone call to your biological father and try to have an appointment with the nearest child psychologist in your neigbourhood or company.
If you don,t understand my written english I can tell it to you via phone call.

In Spain we say: "AMIGO MIO ERES UN PERFECTO GILIPOLLAS, Y ESO QUE NO ENTRENAS..."

Iver
20th Jul 2012, 12:13
Informative post AV8whore! Similar to what we have read on many QR roster posts. Expect to work hard when you come to QR. :eek::}

THRidle
20th Jul 2012, 14:09
Hey pepeCRK, back off a bit mate. By all means address the points the guy made, but there is no need for a personal attack:=

And if you're wondering, this post was posted by a guy whose been flying far too long with a sh!t load of widebody command hours.

Airmann
20th Jul 2012, 14:39
@THRidle, i dont think pepeCRKs remarks were at AV8whore. I think they were at the poster who was bashing his countrymen.

@pepeCRK, please mention who your comments were addressed to, otherwise its assumed that they are addressed to the post directly before yours.

Global01
20th Jul 2012, 21:19
I flew with lot of spanish guys plus i have a house in south of spain.. They are ok, some of them very professional, but i say that they are very lazy and they don't want to make any effort with their language or ..... it's just theirs nature..

I had to fly with some examiners many time that even slept before t/o ... and never could understand the language ... No effort, lot of mistake even from senior capts....

I was upset previously because of the delay they have made, i don't judge theirs skills but the language YES !!

Easy guys, any one can give his opinion, that's why it's called a forum...

G01

archer_737
20th Jul 2012, 22:28
G01

Last time you were saying you met "a lot of pilots" while in their jumpseat as a extracrew. Now you "have flown" with A LOT of them.

That's my favorite: "plus I have a house in the south of Spain". Then you'll be a good spanish speaker right? Come on, answer me in spanish, or are you as lazy as ALL the spanish pilots?

Global01
20th Jul 2012, 22:49
''Last time you were saying you met "a lot of pilots" while in their jumpseat as a extracrew''

heheheh when ? were you drunk ?

shut you stupid, i saw your stupid posts in every forum...

yes i have a house in alicancte and for the same reason as all the expats there.

No i don't speak spanish, but my girls in spain does ;)

shut up next time .... enough of ur ****

archer_737
20th Jul 2012, 23:19
''Last time you were saying you met "a lot of pilots" while in their jumpseat as a extracrew''

heheheh when ? were you drunk ?

shut you stupid, i saw your stupid posts in every forum...

yes i have a house in alicancte and for the same reason as all the expats there.

No i don't speak spanish, but my girls in spain does ;)

shut up next time .... enough of ur ****

Really?

My god... Sure there was psychometrical testing in QR?

Global01
20th Jul 2012, 23:27
cant you shut up, you just know how to say psychometric, is it the only word you can pronounce ?

Enough is enough............ you getting every one nervous even the honest spanish lads in here ....

Mr. R
21st Jul 2012, 00:02
Hey guys just a question here is it possible for a pilot with 1500 to 2000 hours on A320 to join as wide body or does he have to do another 3 years to be even considered for line training on desired fleet? (assuming he has been given a join date by QR)

salamalikum2
21st Jul 2012, 02:49
Mr R,
Everything is possible here since even second officers join the 330 fleet straight!
But it's not in your hand, they will decide for you.

Check Airman
21st Jul 2012, 07:37
also, the 42 days annual leave they offer in the contract are used to fulfill the companies "suggested" 24 days off in any 3 month period, so your contractually-agreed annual leave days off are going to be much less than 42! example; I took 2 weeks of leave, and got 3 days off the rest of that month, 7 the next, and 6 the next. That's 16 days off in 3 months!

also, your seniority for monthly bidding and vacation bidding ie your "fleet seniority" is based on your check out on that equipment, not your company seniority. so after putting in 5 years as FO with the company, and getting command, you go to the bottom of the bidding list for your fleet, giving way to DEC who joined the company on your fleet, 3 months ago!

I'm having a hard time making sense of your vacation example. You took 2 weeks vacation in month 1. Shouldn't that go on top of you normally scheduled days off for that month? Also, you describe 7 and 6 days off for months 2 and 3. Don't you have a minimum number of days off per month?

The seniority example you gave seems absurd. How can a new hire be senior to somebody who's been there for years? What then, does company seniority count for? I've never heard of a system where you lose seniority when you change equipment.

Paper Lad
21st Jul 2012, 08:34
Unfortunately leave in QR is not in addition to your days off.

We get a minimum of 8 days off per month but it is averaged over a three month period. Therefore, in the month that leave is taken the minimum days off is exceeded, this gives rostering the opportunity to give less than the minimum 8 off in subsequent months and still achieve the average.

With regard to seniority, QR has fleet and company seniority (also grade seniority). Seniority is not used for trip/days off bidding but is used for leave bidding.

So, again, if you get a fleet transfer or command upgrade you are at the bottom of the respective fleet/grade but maintain your overall company seniority.

All very complicated but that's how it is here!

captmav
21st Jul 2012, 09:17
Hang on a minute, surely there is a legal minimum, ie: 1 day off in six, 2 consecutive off in 14?

They can't just average it out...!

Mr. R
21st Jul 2012, 10:22
Mr R,
Everything is possible here since even second officers join the 330 fleet straight!
But it's not in your hand, they will decide for you.

oh thanks so what exactly is the criteria then for selection??:confused:

Check Airman
21st Jul 2012, 10:50
Unfortunately leave in QR is not in addition to your days off.

We get a minimum of 8 days off per month but it is averaged over a three month period. Therefore, in the month that leave is taken the minimum days off is exceeded, this gives rostering the opportunity to give less than the minimum 8 off in subsequent months and still achieve the average.

With regard to seniority, QR has fleet and company seniority (also grade seniority). Seniority is not used for trip/days off bidding but is used for leave bidding.

So, again, if you get a fleet transfer or command upgrade you are at the bottom of the respective fleet/grade but maintain your overall company seniority.

All very complicated but that's how it is here!

That seems like a very complicated setup. Are there any advantages to that system?

Paper Lad
21st Jul 2012, 12:07
Seven days on, followed by a single day off, followed by a further three or four days on is common.......particularly on the 320 fleet.

Advantages:

Company gets maximum work and flexibility from minimum crew.

Crew get".......nope, can't think of anything except, maybe, a bit extra flight pay.

Skyfree
21st Jul 2012, 13:03
my freind F/O received last week his DOJ : November 2012 A330.
Is any DEC 320 received DOJ ?
good luck for us!:ugh:

Iver
21st Jul 2012, 15:33
The lack of time off sounds extremely fatiguing and potentially hazzardous to personal relationships to say the least. :eek: But we have heard this before several times and it is well known by now. If you go to QR, expect to work hard. Of course, you won't hear about it in the QR pilot presentations catered toward desparate pilots facing complete job loss or downsizing.

Based on the information I have gathered, it sounds like, while all fleets work you hard, some fleets are harder working than others. Most new pilots are not given a personal choice for fleet types - but others only qualify for certain fleets based on their specific hours/experience. So, it sounds like you could rank the fleet types by roster difficulty. Although things could change, it would be good to know in order to manage your expectations. If you are assigned a particular fleet, you may work harder than others assigned different fleets.

Although all fleets will likely work you hard, based on several posts on this forum from pilots on various fleets, rosters from easiest to hardest in terms of hours flown per month and potential for time off could be ranked like this:

A300-600R Freighter (Easiest)
A330/A340
A320 (Hardest)

Would people agree/disagree with that assessment? Not sure where the 787 will eventually end up on that list. Clearly longhaul flying may entail worse jetlag across so many timezones - so, even though you fly fewer hours you still feel terrible due to the jetlag factor...:yuk:

To refresh peoples' memories (and, if these are still accurate, to help manage expectations) see two posts written by QR A320 pilots a few months back as well as a "sample" A330 and 777 roster posted by QR pilots previously - not certain if the situation has changed or impoved since it was written (certainly hope so but doubt it). :eek: Any updates I am sure would be appreciated:

For those contemplating joining QR, here is an actual roster for A320 Captain.The month and specific destinations have been omitted to protect the innocent. All times are based on DOHA which is where your body clock will be.

Day 1. day off at out station in Europe.
Day 2. wake-up-call 2150 to fly back to Doha.
Day 3. Land DOH 0535, report again 2245 for Gulf turn-around (3h on gnd).
Day 4. Land DOH 0645, report again 0000 for Gulf turn-around (3h on gnd).
Day 5. Land DOH 0555, report again 1945 for Gulf turn-around ARR DOH 0000.
Day 6. report 1800 regional turn-around
Day 7. Land DOH 0015, report again 1345 for three-sectors (Gulf + layover),
Day 8. land at outstation 0120 (layover), wake-up-call 1500, land DOH 2230
Day 9. off
Day 10. off
Day 11. report 0650, four-sectors around the Gulf, land DOH 1700.
Day 12. report 2245 for Gulf turn-around (3h on gnd)
Day 13. land DOH 0645, report again 2345, two sectors for layover.
Day 14. land at outstation 0830 (layover)
Day 15. wake-up-call 0855, two sectors, land DOH 1910
Day 16. off
Day 17. report 2345, regional turn-around
Day 18. land DOH 0545, report again 1925, one sector for layover
Day 19. land at outstation 0055 (layover), wake-up-call 2300
Day 20. operate back to DOH followed by a Gulf turn-around, land DOH 1050
Day 21. off
Day 22. off
Day 23. ground school (ex. crm, security, dangerous goods)
Day 24. report 1045 Gulf turn-around plus regional turn-around, land DOH 2230.
Day 25. off
Day 26. off
Day 27. report 0700 one sector to Europe for 22h layover.
Day 28. wake-up-call 1030 fly to DOH plus Gulf turn-around, land DOH 2320.
Day 29. report 1230 one sector to Europe for 24h layover.
Day 30. wake-up-call 2200 to fly to Doha
Day 31. land DOH 0530.

This roster has the minimum eight days off, of which seven are at home and one is in a hotel (Day 1). 92 block hours and 160 duty hours (= salary QAR42,500). Generally it is unusual to get days off at outstation.

You will often get a 10-12 day pattern with a combination of day and night flying with the one legal day off in the middle. Rest of the month will obviously be better.

QR operates strictly according to legality. No regard is taken for family issues, fatigue-issues or the flight safety implications fatigue has. You will be tired beyond your imagination, but you will get a decent meal at 3am if you wish.

By the way, management cancelled one week’s leave for all A320 pilots this winter.

And another A320 roster example:

Here is another actual roster.
Again, all times are based on DOHA which is where your body clock will be.

Day 1. off
Day 2. report 0630, Gulf turn-around, land DOH 1130, followed by min-rest.
Day 3. report 0035, one sector for layover in India, land at 0615.
Day 4. wake-up-call 0400, land DOH 1130, followed by min-rest.
Day 5. report 0035, one sector for layover in India, land at 0615.
Day 6. wake-up-call 0400, land DOH 1130, followed by min-rest.
Day 7. report 0040 for regional turn-around, land DOH 0610.
Day 8. off
Day 9. report 1515 for three-sectors, Gulf turn-around, followed by layover India.
Day 10. land at outstation 0130 (layover), wake-up-call 2330.
Day 11. land DOH 0620. followed by 17hrs 25min rest.
Day 12. report 0015, regional turn-around, land DOH 0620.
Day 13. report 1115, regional turn-around, land DOH1940.
Day 14. off
Day 15. off

They actually gave me duty on my day off on day 14 (without asking), but I reported sick for that day.

You will get a pattern like this almost every month.

For comparative purposes, some other fleet roster examples from other posts:

A330 Roster :-

2 x BRU
1 x ICN
1 x MNL
1 x DXB
1 x FCO
1 x ZRH + STR (3 sector day)

A return from LHR at the beginning of the month meant just over 99hrs flying.

And "typical" 777 roster from previous post:

Typical monthly Qatar 777 roster

2 JFK (3 Days trip)
1 MEL (4 Days trip)
1 BKK-SGN (4 Days trip)
1 PVG (3 Days trip)

2-3 days off between and some stand-by

Flight time 120hrs/ 75 logged hours

Flyer1015
21st Jul 2012, 17:00
For those contemplating joining QR, here is an actual roster for A320 Captain.The month and specific destinations have been omitted to protect the innocent. All times are based on DOHA which is where your body clock will be.

Day 1. day off at out station in Europe.
Day 2. wake-up-call 2150 to fly back to Doha.
Day 3. Land DOH 0535, report again 2245 for Gulf turn-around (3h on gnd).
Day 4. Land DOH 0645, report again 0000 for Gulf turn-around (3h on gnd).
Day 5. Land DOH 0555, report again 1945 for Gulf turn-around ARR DOH 0000.
Day 6. report 1800 regional turn-around
Day 7. Land DOH 0015, report again 1345 for three-sectors (Gulf + layover),
Day 8. land at outstation 0120 (layover), wake-up-call 1500, land DOH 2230
Day 9. off
Day 10. off
Day 11. report 0650, four-sectors around the Gulf, land DOH 1700.
Day 12. report 2245 for Gulf turn-around (3h on gnd)
Day 13. land DOH 0645, report again 2345, two sectors for layover.
Day 14. land at outstation 0830 (layover)
Day 15. wake-up-call 0855, two sectors, land DOH 1910
Day 16. off
Day 17. report 2345, regional turn-around
Day 18. land DOH 0545, report again 1925, one sector for layover
Day 19. land at outstation 0055 (layover), wake-up-call 2300
Day 20. operate back to DOH followed by a Gulf turn-around, land DOH 1050
Day 21. off
Day 22. off
Day 23. ground school (ex. crm, security, dangerous goods)
Day 24. report 1045 Gulf turn-around plus regional turn-around, land DOH 2230.
Day 25. off
Day 26. off
Day 27. report 0700 one sector to Europe for 22h layover.
Day 28. wake-up-call 1030 fly to DOH plus Gulf turn-around, land DOH 2320.
Day 29. report 1230 one sector to Europe for 24h layover.
Day 30. wake-up-call 2200 to fly to Doha
Day 31. land DOH 0530.

That is unsafe! How can the human body healthily transition from a day schedule immediately into a night schedule and then vice versa? And only 8 days off? :ouch: I remember moaning about my A320 schedule for August with 16 days off. Luckily, was able to drop 2 one-day trips and get 18 off. Life was good once again. :)

Check Airman
21st Jul 2012, 18:05
That schedule seems horrific. I work in the US for a regional airline. For those who are unfamiliar, the regional industry in the US is rock bottom regarding work rules. Even the most junior pilot on our roster would not be subject to that sort of schedule.

Check Airman
21st Jul 2012, 21:21
PM sent AV8r

downwindabeam
22nd Jul 2012, 00:15
I'm sure this has been asked before but here goes...

How does QR determine what fleet you will be joining?

Also, on the 320 fleet, what do you do if you uncomfortable going to certain places (ie: DAM/IKA)?

Thanks!

flying apple
22nd Jul 2012, 06:56
@downwind abeam

I think you have no other option than fly to there
but you can always leave the cockpit door locked if you don't feel safe :E

salamalikum2
22nd Jul 2012, 08:31
Downwind..I think Damascus flight has been suspended long time ago..,
Don't worry about IKA..Iranians are very kind and respectful of all nationalities as long as you respect them..forget about politics & CNN & ALjzeera...
Never had any kind of problem there as a westerner.. if this is your concern.:)

ironbutt57
22nd Jul 2012, 10:19
Iranians are very kind and respectful of all nationalities as long as you respect them..forget about politics & CNN & ALjzeera...

Very much the case!!!!:ok::ok:

stop, stop, stop
22nd Jul 2012, 17:35
I agree with the rosters. Hugely fatiguing, accident waiting to happen. IKA, nice day out that one...2 sectors, 1hr 45 each and back in time to laze by the pool!

I am not so sure I agree with the 'Days Off' quoted. As far as I am aware (and my roster has always agreed) Days Off down route count toward your 1 off in 8 duty days, but they don't count towards your avg of 8 in 3 months. You must avg 8 days off in home base. Don't get me wrong, you won't avg more than 8!!!

As for Leave, every 7 days of leave you take in a month counts as 2 Days Off. So if you take 14 days then expect to only get 3 days off for the rest of the month. In reality, they struggle to roster quite so close, but they'll give it a darned good try.

casablanca
22nd Jul 2012, 19:49
I know one person at Qatar who said he heard DEC on 777 has been stopped.
I was wondering if anyone has been scheduled for a captain widebody interview?
They cant seem to keep up with training right now so it seems if they put all new hires on 320 that would almost double their training burden.
Our talent pool letter said their would be an update the end of July? Hopefully we hear some sort of plan as it is hard prepare for a new life like this!

ironbutt57
23rd Jul 2012, 04:42
I was wondering if anyone has been scheduled for a captain widebody interview?

If you notice the wording carefully, the invite to the interview, and the subsequent congrats letter state "CAPTAIN" position, the "widebody" is only on the website as an option when you first apply....keep treading water....

capt_amit
23rd Jul 2012, 23:34
hello everyone i m looking for a job as first officer is there any chances of mine i m type rated on ATR 72-500 and having around 2300 hrs on type , i m looking for 320 or 330 i m ready to sign any contract if company provides me the type rating . please advise me if QATAR is taking pilot or where else i can apply now,

victor75
24th Jul 2012, 11:55
Hi everyone!
Just a quick question : is it easy to find a place to live for me and my wife once there?
and is it also easy for here to find a job at doha (marketing, product manager) ?
Did one of u have schedule a cargo flight to repatriate some furnitures from your own country? (I read that we will have possibility for 150kg cargo)

Thanks guys!

DOJ : 16 September NTSO

safelife
24th Jul 2012, 13:46
Currently all widebody fleets are overcrewed with captains, flying as little as 500 hrs a year. So we will not see any upgrades nor DECs on widebody for some time to come.
The only chance would be B787, but currently the plan is to hire on A320 and move experienced A320 guys onto the B787.
I reckon that is partly due to the fact that they need some kind of carrot for the A320 folks not to run away all to quickly.

MAVERICK42
24th Jul 2012, 18:22
Hi all.
Does anybody know if QA has a PICUS program for those FTSO or FO who does not meet the 250 hrs PIC required by the regulations to pass the FULL ATPL exam?

I'm 3000 TT with 2750 on ATR42/72 turboprop and I was hired as just after complete my flying school training so I ONLY HAVE 100 hrs PIC.

Thank you for your answers.

GEAR DOWN

tony2F
24th Jul 2012, 18:52
QCAR-FCL 1.280 - Experience and Crediting
(See QCAR-FCL 1.050(a)(3))
(a) An applicant for an ATPL(A) shall have completed as a pilot of aeroplanes at least 1500 hours of flight time (see also QCAR-FCL 1.050(a)(3)). Of the 1500 hours flight time, up to 100 hours of flight time may have been completed in FS and FNPT of which a maximum of 25 hours may have been completed in FNPT, including at least:
(1)
(2) (i)
(ii)
(iii) (3)
(4) (5)
15/9/07
500 hours in multi-pilot operations on aeroplanes type certificated in accordance with the QCAR[/EASA-CS]/FAR–25 Transport category or the QCAR[EASA- CS]/FAR–23 Commuter category, or BCAR or AIR 2051;
500 hours as pilot-in-command under supervision; or 250 hours either as pilot-in-command; Or
250 hours made up by at least 70 hours as pilot-in-command and the necessary additional flight time as pilot-in command under supervision;]
200 hours of cross-country flight time of which at least 100 hours shall be as pilot-in-command or as [ ][pilot in command] under [ ]supervision [ ];
75 hours of instrument time of which not more than 30 hours may be instrument ground time; and
100 hours of night flight as pilot-in-command or as co-pilot.
1-G-1 Amendment Q06/07

MAVERICK42
24th Jul 2012, 21:03
Thank you for these precisions Tony, seems to be the one I had.

I was just wondering, if I join QR, would I be able to accomplish those 150 (PIC) hrs I miss by an internal PICUS program in order to pass the FULL ATPL exam to be "upgradable" when the time comes?

tony2F
24th Jul 2012, 21:49
Hey mav, if you have 2750 on the ATR don't you have 500 picus? The requirements are either/or not both, hope that helps

Homo Ludens
24th Jul 2012, 21:50
I don't know about 'overcrewing' on the wideboby fleets...
I'm on T7 and have been borderline to 900 hrs (870 to 890) for the last 365 days 6 months running.
How are those captains flying 500 hrs? Menagement? TRI/TRE?
And the first batch going to 787 is from our fleet. And 8 more T777s are still to come to QR.
Check your info and do the math more carefully, please.
Cheers!

MAVERICK42
24th Jul 2012, 23:27
Thank you Tony, I've flown this 2750 hrs as a F/O, I had a line training consisting of F/O SOP wiches are running in my company so I cannot ( French CAA said ) consider any 100 either 500 hours on those 2750 as PICUS time.
They said PICUS flight time: provided that the method of supervision is
acceptable to the competent authority, a co-pilot may log as
PIC flight time flown as PICUS when all the duties and
functions of PIC on that flight were carried out in such a way
that the intervention of the PIC in the interest of safety was not required.

But in my company there was not any PICUS program with a method of supervision acceptable to the competent authority since two months ago.
Another problem now, the airline said : nobody can access this program without considering the seniority list and a captain upgrade program, meaning for me 10 years waiting at its best...so I will not wait I want to leave and I'm interested in QR.

That's why I was wondering if QR has an internal PICUS time as it seems that they used to hire Frozen ATPL profiles.

Airmann
25th Jul 2012, 05:05
I know of some French pilots at QR logging PICUS time, they just get the commander to sgn off their logbook when they are PIC on the sector. Most CAAs will accept PICUS time from major airlines. If I'm not mistaken Canadian authorities accept PICUS time from any airline flying large jets, regardless of if the company has a special program in place or not.

MAVERICK42
25th Jul 2012, 06:58
Thank you Airmann for this great overview.
I can find now that French CAA still the one with "self made" problems.

victor75
25th Jul 2012, 10:00
No one could answer my previous post please guys?

Iver
25th Jul 2012, 12:36
Victor,

I do not live in Qatar, but I posted this video from Youtube a months ago about living in Qatar (from the perspective of expats). Doha seems quite cosmopolitan and in "growth mode" for western-type jobs as the economy continues to expand. I won't get into the Doha vs. Dubai or Abu Dhabi debates which I am sure will resurface. No place is perfect. See the link below:

Living in Qatar - YouTube

Black Pudding
25th Jul 2012, 16:15
Qatar Airways advert - YouTube

Victor 75

Have you passed selection and do you have a start date ? PM me

aviator_88
25th Jul 2012, 17:53
hey guys,

I did try to search for the answer in previous posts but couldn't find any. Anyway, a friend of mine is interested if there is a holing pool in Qatar as it is in Emirates??
Also, for those who pass the interview, how much do you wait to start the training??

THX

ironbutt57
25th Jul 2012, 19:01
There is a QR "FD Talent Pool"...if you are successful at the interview, depending on your qualifications, you may be placed into this pool until which time they are able to accommodate you....

ronburgandy
26th Jul 2012, 13:42
Do any golfers in Doha know if Qatar Airways pilots get any form of discount deal at Doha Golf Club, either on green fees or membership? It seems to be Qatar Airways have a lot to do with sponsoring the Qatar Masters so it would seem possible there may be a deal in place for QA staff.
Also, what are the best Hotel Clubs to join for family to enjoy the pool, tennis, gym etc? I had heard the Ritz Carlton do a discount for Qatar Airways staff?
Any information greatly received.
Whilst I'm still waiting a DOJ (contract signed in April), I fill my time daydreaming what I'm going to do with my limited time off once I hopefully arrive.
Many thanks.

jibba_jabba
26th Jul 2012, 14:15
a simple email to the golf club would answer your question.

Discounts are a plenty but not everywhere. you have a webpage on the portal (once again, when you get here) that will give you a good list of discounts etc.

all the rest of that stuff you will discover reasonably easily when you get here.

broompusher
26th Jul 2012, 21:22
Ron Burgundy,

I brought a new set of clubs with me when I joined last year. I still haven't made it to the golf course. On your minimal time off you'll end up catching up on sleep.

B.

victor75
27th Jul 2012, 08:01
Thanks guy for the answers!
Do you have the roster of a NTSO on A330?
They said that it's impossible to leave qatar for the first 6 month but is it realy imposssible?

ironbutt57
27th Jul 2012, 11:45
Hey guys! Is there a chance to get the T7 position with 1500h total time with 1000 in the B737? Would like to apply as First Officer.

Suggestion....go to the website, answer the preliminary questions accurately, it it lets you apply, then you probably have just as good a chance as any others....

jeanpaul172
27th Jul 2012, 12:20
Dear all,

I have been following this thread for quite some time, but this is the first time I post something on here.
I graduated from flight school in 2010 and was very lucky to be invited to an assessment with QR in January 2012.
Four months later I got the congratulations e-mail stating that I had to wait for 6 weeks max for the contract, than, about 2 months later I (just like most/all of you guys still waiting for their contracts) received the Talent Pool e-mail.
Now I am eagerly waiting for the promised update and I a m full of questions.
I know that Emirates also has a holding pool, candidates are picked randomly from this pool and the rumour is that after one year of ‘swimming’ one has to re-apply or else their application is not being considered anymore. I also know that Qatar has a similar rule: max 1 year between interview and date of joining. Is there a chance we need to re-apply/ our application is not being considered anymore if we don’t get picked out of the ‘Pool of Talent’ before that 1 year expires?
Besides that is there anyone who has some inside info about the operational requirement? It seems like all applications are on hold at the moment (no contracts send out anymore and also recruitment has slowed down) , any idea when this will open up again?
Let’s hope the end of July update will be here soon..

Goodluck to all, salut!

Stick35
27th Jul 2012, 16:53
Hi jean paul,

Welcome on pprune. I also applied with QR, but so far never got a phone call. Never knew the real reason. Anyway, i kept on following this thread and i must say, i can draw 1 conclusion about QR: this company is always full, but full of surprises and tricks. In the past, now and probably as well in the future. I would not stare on this talent pool. So yes, in 1 year they might delete this holding pool, but you can also get a phonecall. If i were you, continue with your life and looking for another flying job. Dont reject other offers because QR might call you!!!! Thats a problem for later. Take what you can get and future will tell.

Good luck.

Saam-85
29th Jul 2012, 02:28
Hi to you all :)

I did my interview on Jun 2012, (applied for SO cadet, low hours, approx 200)
Been almost 6 weeks. Haven't heard anything yet but as i heard, if no reply within first 2 weeks, it means, hopefully good news will be on its way. hoping for the best and expecting the worst!!!
Anyone did his interview in Jun? If yes, an update will be appreciated ;)

Good luck and all the best :ok:

Wings23
30th Jul 2012, 07:52
Hi All,

Has anybody received the end of July update as indicated on the talent pool email?

Cheers,

Wngs

Tritzo
30th Jul 2012, 08:39
no update upon the talent pool yet :( still 1 day to go until the end of july though.

ronburgandy
30th Jul 2012, 09:42
Received my end of July update, I've gone from signing the contract in April to the "Talent Pool" today. I was obviously hoping for a DOJ by now, to take a backwards step into the talent pool after already waiting for 3 months since signing my contract is frustrating to say the least.
They didn't even have the common courtesy of addressing the email to me personally, just a "Dear Sir" generic email.

jeanpaul172
30th Jul 2012, 11:43
Hey guys,

Anyone that received the End of July update can share it's content?
I haven't received mine yet and am very curious if there is already an estimate for those guys still waiting for their contracts. Also wondering if the update is position specific, or the just an automated email for everyone? Apperently not since some did receive their update, but most didn't.
Cheers!:ok:

Flyingstig
30th Jul 2012, 14:49
Supersonic, with respect I think that what you signed in May was not a contract.
Rather it was the acceptance of an offer.
Sadly the two are quite different!:confused:

ironbutt57
30th Jul 2012, 15:21
WOW!!! That's the new and improved FD Talent newsletter...;)

upwhereIbelong
30th Jul 2012, 15:41
same here ....as well as at least a few others i know ...
all already with LOE Signed ...

dissapointing ,and aslap in face ...

cheers
UP

OXOGEKAS340
30th Jul 2012, 18:03
I strongly agree also!!!Flying for more than 34 years, and after my company collapsed ,I am flying here in iran , and I am really v happy . I don't know if I will join QA and leave iran.

aka_makavel1
30th Jul 2012, 20:05
supersonic75

I'm in the same predicament as you. A320 FO, signed the offer letter in May and I got the same email. I'm definitely not a happy camper.

727lvr
30th Jul 2012, 20:48
Got the same email today as well. Contract signed in May 320 FO.... hard to sit in limbo for so long. The annoying part is that there is no word on a further update..... I guess we just wait , at least we aren't alone

Iver
30th Jul 2012, 21:38
Qatar Airways holds HR job fairs in Somalia and North Korea. Ridiculous!

FL123
31st Jul 2012, 01:03
Qatar Airways holds HR job fairs in Somalia and North Korea. Ridiculous!

:}:}:}:}:}:}

Tibor090
31st Jul 2012, 02:11
Same email here. 320 FO signed in April. Time to start looking elsewhere

overclock25
31st Jul 2012, 08:37
Hi guys,
is there any chanche to get a job as second officer for a guy as me with 1100TT and about 600hrs on a turboprop SE? I have seen that in the past they got hired pilot without any experience...

thanks

Iver
31st Jul 2012, 12:19
Qatar Airways lack of communication with applicants, especially successful applicants, is very disturbing. Is top management aware of this - would they even care? No doubt it would be a good plan to have a Plan B because, despite what you have been promised, your timing may not be aligned. You would think they would have the decency to send out a weekly or bi-weekly email to successful applicants. Not much talk about the big airline based in Abu Dhabi that cannot be named - they are growing too and maybe treat their applicants with more professionalism. Maybe worth more of a look...

ryanb5005
31st Jul 2012, 13:44
I received my notification of passing the interview in April and the talent pool email in June. I was supposed to receive an up date at the end of July but I never heard anything. Anyone else in this situation? FO applicant.

Andrexxx
31st Jul 2012, 14:08
Me too... It's really frustrating !!!!:ugh:

cccc
31st Jul 2012, 15:41
@ CMD
Apparently they are still interviewing FTSO, check the post of Chutchcroft.
Maybe send him a PM.

I got a positive mail in March, for the position FTSO. And I haven't received anything since then. :(
It's frustrating! :(
QR is continuing holding interviews, but nobody is starting... What's the point of having a 1-year limit (if this limit exists), if apparently a lot of people will exceed this limit due to delay of aircrafts, sim slot problems...

I still hope to get any news soon!!

Cheers,
cccc

simmatch
1st Aug 2012, 04:13
I am on the same situation as the one s with pass mail/on talent pool/but no update as promished. Fo position. Could anyone with any inside information share any updates?
cheers gentlemen.

Tritzo
1st Aug 2012, 11:15
there is still a lot of delay because some of the spanair guys screwed up. no further details available (rumours are that because of their bad english and lack of good training quality they have to redo the complete TR instead of just getting some standardization)

jeanpaul172
1st Aug 2012, 11:37
Tritzo, how did you get this information?
Do you know about how long the delay is?
Thanks for at least some info!!

casablanca
1st Aug 2012, 16:44
It seems so far that everyone who has received an email in July has been slotted for the A320 fleet? Has anyone hired on the Boeing fleet heard any news.
I have a colleague who interviewed in April and is starting this week as 777 Fo.
It does not seem to be as backed up on that aircraft; at least for FOs.

HS8V
1st Aug 2012, 21:06
Hey guys how long after you applied did it take to hear anything from Qatar?

supersonic75
1st Aug 2012, 22:46
@ MALAK , no my friend im not a320 type rated . i signed an offer of employment as a320 f.o and now im on the ( talent pool )
wishing good luck for everybody

dash8pilotCanada
1st Aug 2012, 23:43
Seems alot of posts from FO/SFO, rated and non rated for the 320 getting
put in the talent pool.

Anynews on DEC (Rated and Non Rated) Captains for the 320 being thrown into the talent pool?

ironbutt57
2nd Aug 2012, 03:34
The issue is most probably simulator availability......as in most airlines..

SAS-A321
2nd Aug 2012, 08:29
There are two A320 simulators available in OAA - Stockholm, so I doubt it is due to lack of simulators.

flyforfood1
2nd Aug 2012, 10:25
I think it's more down to a shortage of trainers, they are all working flat out.

parahawk
3rd Aug 2012, 02:26
I applied earlier this year and the only response I got was that they got my resume. Nothing after that. I am not sure why-A few of the FO's I have flown with in the past at my regional in the States have been hired with half my experience. Shortly after I applied my family life changed drastically with a divorce happening-so my wife and kids would not be joining me for sure. I was happy not to have to deal with any decisions on an opportunity overseas but now that the divorce is almost done and the regional I work for is a sinking ship I want options as I still have a house to pay for and have to pay support for my kids. I still have not heard anything-and I am thinking about reapplying. I guess my only concern is the rumors about the body mass index. I am about 15 pounds heavier than I was when I was in the army and at the time I was 25% BMI-could this be holding me back from Qatar and/or Emirates?

Saam-85
3rd Aug 2012, 03:32
Parahawk

Hopefully you will get what you want and just to let you know, in Qatar Airways, they do not really care about your BMI because i know pilots way heavier than what they shouold be. I am not sure about Emirates though.

Cheers

casablanca
3rd Aug 2012, 04:54
Parahawk:

Emirates has BMI requirement
I dont remember hearing about BMI at Qatar....and i have witnessed some that are surely pushing the limit if there is one.
I dont know if it lets you re-apply....I think it might if you use a different email.
It is defnitely worth a try, especially if you have waited about 6 months.
I applied and never had any response so later I applied through an agency(no longer doing screening for Qatar) and got an invite pretty soon afterwards.

ironbutt57
3rd Aug 2012, 06:13
There are two A320 simulators available in OAA - Stockholm, so I don't buy the "lack of simulators", as an excuse.

Think about how many they have hired and need training, then also the amount of recurrent training necessary, then go have a look at your two(WOW:confused:) simulators you are speaking about...then rethink your words...:ugh:

Andrexxx
3rd Aug 2012, 06:53
...maybe I'm wrong, but I think they have a really good Training Center in Doha equipped with FFS (B777, B787, A320, A330); if the crew member is not type rated, they use Airbus Training center in France or others JAR approved spread in Europe for the whole training (OOA in LHR, Cockpit4U, etc.) : it's difficult for me to believe that they are delaying the hiring process due to the lack of simulators !!! Maybe the real problem it's TRE/TRI shortage; Anyway it should be easier to upgrade couple of Pilots to TRI or examiner (it shouldn't take so long time) in order to make training using all the FFS available in the world :ugh: ; for recurrent training purposes they could also send some First Officer anywhere to get the SFI rating.... whatever, I think that put pilots in this f..!.X.K:..ng pool waiting so long could deal QR to be desperately looking for pilots in the near future : they should really care about these people... just my two cent.....:rolleyes:

ironbutt57
3rd Aug 2012, 08:55
Yes, one of each...hardly enough to cope..all airlines here short of sim availability, one sim here isn't even plugged in yet, and it's already booked for the forseeable future...as are the others operating 24/7....sim availability is a big issue with all Gulf carriers...trust me...not the sole reason, but a major one...

Airmann
3rd Aug 2012, 10:36
QR is using sim centers in:

LHR
LGW
ARN
BOM
SIN
BAH
and more that I probably don't know of.

What you don't realize is that in order for QR to send people abroad the Qatar CAA has to first visit the center and approve its use. Secondly, QR have to ensure that the quality of training at those centers is at an acceptable level, and finally the QCAA have to approve the TRI and TREs at that center if they are not QR personnel, i.e. if they don't have QCAA licenses.
So its not as straightforward as saying, such and such a sim is free, why don't QR use it?

ironbutt57
3rd Aug 2012, 12:00
My point exactly.....

upwhereIbelong
3rd Aug 2012, 13:06
">Git-R-Done !!!<:ok:

pampa1
3rd Aug 2012, 14:37
Hello everybody! Does anybody knows how the present roster pattern look like for the A320 Captains? I am evaluating to join and bring the family with me.

Tks bye bye:)

upwhereIbelong
3rd Aug 2012, 14:47
man Im getting annoyed now by this ongoing recruitment when u have so many in this fr****in pool:
I even hear that guys with 100 hrs jet get called if they can come on short notice to join for 330...

Is anyone from upper Management reading whats out in the net ?
My fellow other Fo´S which had signed the letter of employment now back in pool with all together ...wheres the sense in that ..or is tthat pool now only for people which had a signed letter and the others are in the open sea ???

Whats goin on ...where will it end ...a email sorry we have now kingfisher and air india and air france guys which are qualified so thanks for holing bye bye ...

I dunno ...im really upset ...good theres Mr Morgan and the Captain

Cheers UP:=

Airmann
3rd Aug 2012, 15:00
Everyone here is completely missing the point.

Before the "talent pool" email you would pass the interview, or sign the contract and wait 7 months - 1 year with no contact from QR. During which you will come on PPrune and rant and rave for the duration, after which you receive a joining date, and post about how great an opportunity this is and tell everyone else to have patience.

The difference now is that you wait 7 months - 1 year except that you now recieve an email which says that you are in a "talent pool". During which you will come on PPrune and rant and rave for the duration, after which you receive a joining date, and post about how great an opportunity this is and tell everyone else to have patience.

Hello! NOTHING has changed, the only difference is that they send you an email after you pass the interview and tell you that you are in a talent pool, the difference between now and one year ago is nothing except for the email. Everything else is still the same. Someone at recruitment just took the file for pilots waiting to join and typed "Talent Pool" on the top line, highlighted it, made it bold and chose size 16. And there you have your talent pool.

av8tordude
3rd Aug 2012, 16:05
I know its frustrating to wait for an answer (whether good or bad), but would you rather QR tell you they are not interested in hiring you? Ranting will not make the process move any faster. While QR have multiple training locations, keep in mind QR is not the only airline using those facilities:=.

You should also be aware, if you are on the A320 fleet (NTR), you will have 2-3 months wait before you start your type rating training. And even after you return from your training, line training is backed up as well. So it may be as much as 6 months before you are release from the training department after joining date(assuming you don't have any problems).

So if you don't have the patience now, then you need to reconsider your decision to coming her. There will be many other frustrating things you will experience here once you get here...I promise you!:ok: My advice...sit back, rub your ear lobes and say "Whoo Saghhh!!"

If you have a job and are in the talent pool, consider yourself fortunate as I know many people who aren't so fortunate wish they could find a job. If you don't have a job, why are you putting all your eggs into QR basket or waiting by the computer as if there is no tomorrow? QR is not the only airline that is hiring. There are many carriers around the world who are hiring.

For those who are in the talent pool, one email a month to inquire about your joining status should be ample enough to keep you up to date. Anything more will only put your name at the bottom of the call list (or maybe no call at all).

Good luck:ok:

SAS-A321
3rd Aug 2012, 17:04
Ironbutt57 and Airmann:

What you maybe don't realise is that at least one of the A320 sims in ARN is approved by QCAA!
I agree with what others think, that it is actually lack of TRI, that is the case, but maybe you know better.

Airmann
3rd Aug 2012, 18:22
SAS-A321: fair enough, but the sim is not the only thing holding up training and joining, there's the organizational requirement for joining, i.e. coordination with HR and with Immigration etc. So thats the first limit. Then there's line training to contend with as well. There's no point QR hiring tons of people only for there to be another bottle neck between the TR and Line Training due to a lack of TRI/TREs ahem.

ironbutt57
3rd Aug 2012, 20:23
With approximately 3.4 sim sessions per day just for recurrent training for existing QR pilots alone, and new hire intake, I suspect all aspects of training is probably operating at max or more capacity...

Tibor090
4th Aug 2012, 03:17
Airmann,

I don't agree with you. If their intent was to place us in a talent pool for up to a year they wouldn't ask you to sign back a contract with only a 6 day limit and ask for what your notice period at your current company. Not to mention, verbatim, "we will get back to you in 2-3 weeks with a join date". Now 4 months and 3 non personalized emails later....nada.

Airmann
4th Aug 2012, 10:18
Sorry mate, I wasn't aware of that, I was under the impression that it was only people who passed the interview that were given the Talent pool email not people who had already signed contracts.

Black Pudding
4th Aug 2012, 13:16
You have not got a job until you turn up on day 1. I suggest you remember that and not have all your eggs in one basket.

OXOGEKAS340
4th Aug 2012, 15:40
Even as active and current on 340/330, I have being offered a 777 as DEC , with a nice 50k bonding.....Are they reading our cv's, or just they want to block us there for at least 3 years, when the bonding diminishes? If someone wishes to leave QR, before the 3 year period, he must nicely submit a bank check of 50 k $!...
What about if you where kicked out....?:ugh:

Black Pudding
4th Aug 2012, 18:39
You have wide body time, they need you on the 777, its as simple as that

Black Pudding
4th Aug 2012, 18:39
And don't believe half the crap on here, you would have to do something really stupid to get kicked out

OXOGEKAS340
4th Aug 2012, 19:00
Thks BP for the info. My concern is, IF I want to leave Qatar earlier than the contract mentioned minimum time, what's up with the bond.....and " kicked out" I was meaning, what if they kick you out, is the bond still waiting for you in the corner, or is it a good opportunity to leave them without paying all this unbelievable amount.....
My friend, after 32 years in aviation, and moe than 20k hours, specialy on airbus, it will be hard for me, to start from the beginning.......Anyway, thanks or the info, will think about it. Have safe flights, my friend!:ok:

av8tordude
4th Aug 2012, 22:58
If you get type-rated on an aircraft, you are bonded for 3-years. If you leave, you owe the bond. If you are terminated, you do not owe the bond.

While the latter may conjuror up some ideas, but unfortunately, the Training Manager at all the training facilities have been instructed not to release the records to the trainee or create documentation that will allow them to apply their new type-rating onto their original certificate because QR has been screwed by pilots getting their type-rating and purposely doing things to get terminated.

jayjay340
4th Aug 2012, 23:57
Does Qatar choose which aircraft your using for the sim assessment, or you have an option to choose?

OXOGEKAS340
5th Aug 2012, 01:11
This is not my idea.....to get a tr and leave them in the middle of the contract!
My concern is if you get busted by the AME, or if you get depressed in Doha....and you want to terminate, what's up?
As you mentioned, they are not releasing doc's in order to apply for the tr in your certificate , so what's the reason of the bond! Of course if this is the case then they must give you all documentation in order to endorse this type in your license.

b767flyer
5th Aug 2012, 02:50
If you want to leave before the end of your bond, you'll be charged proportionally depending on the time left to finish your bond.

Cheers!

Iver
5th Aug 2012, 03:05
Go get a 777 type rating, get coveted 777 experience and expand your cultural horizons in Doha and the Middle East. Don't view it as a challenge - view it as an opportunity. IMHO, three years will fly by....... No job is perfect - so, set your expectations appropriately - don't expect perfect!

I'd do it - but that is just me and I don't know your context. :}

Good luck! :ok:

OXOGEKAS340
5th Aug 2012, 09:43
Thank you all for the info! I have some time to think about it! Safe landings to all of you!

upwhereIbelong
5th Aug 2012, 13:30
So what is now the Deal ...

Myself and some others already recieved the Letter of employment ,which in my eyes is the will to employ us under circumstances which are a) till d) if I can recap by memory ...
So ,we are now in the pool ...whats the announcement to those who just recieved a "yes ,u passed selection " and got in the Pool ?
any difference ?

I know u dont have a contract till day 1 ,but honestly didnt all you guys already flying there accept this and also put "all eggs oin one basket"?

How long was your timeline ...any delys ..any changes you can see ?

cheers
UP

av8tordude
5th Aug 2012, 14:35
I know u dont have a contract till day 1 ,but honestly didnt all you guys already flying there accept this and also put "all eggs oin one basket"?

Absolutely NOT!!!! := I had applied to airlines in the USA (which I'm still in a pool with one airline), Qatar, UAE and China. Of course I would rather stay in my home country, but my options we limited until those old geezers retire. Although Emirates was my second choice (USA being the first), I haven't heard from them. China was my last choice, if I didn't hear from Qatar. I was fortunate to get hired and it took 8 months from app to training.

My advice is to have patience and don't put all your eggs into one basket. You don't have a job until you show up for up for training. You will be greatly disappointed if QR decides they don't need all those a/c's they have on order. :eek: :ugh:

ironbutt57
7th Aug 2012, 03:51
I haven't yet received my "end-of-July" FD Talent pool update...DEC swimming since April...:rolleyes:

casablanca
7th Aug 2012, 04:21
"Ironbutt57" I haven't yet received my "end-of-July" FD Talent pool update...DEC swimming since April

Yo tampoco amigo! Not sure if that is good, bad, or worse news!

Mr.Bloggs
7th Aug 2012, 06:21
Is Qatar Airways some sort of swimming club? Lot of folk seem to be splashing about in that medieval backwater.:O

dash8pilotCanada
7th Aug 2012, 13:36
Man, thats not the type of news we wanted to hear.. Sorry to hear it.. Btw what position did u apply for?

I guess its its time to hold on to the application and apply later around nov or dec..:sad:

captain.weird
8th Aug 2012, 03:17
Are here maybe pilots who fly for Qatar which were already employee of the airline? Like the thread in the 'Wannabees' section from working as a cabin crew first before they go into the cockpit..

Cheers

agesage
8th Aug 2012, 07:44
Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your continued interest in joining the Qatar Airways Flight Deck team.

As discussed in our previous email we will be updating you regularly on the progress of those candidates in our flight deck talent pool and hope to invite you to join us when our operational requirement permits, however at this time there is no significant change to our manpower requirement.

We do understand that due to the uncertain timeframe for holding pool candidates, you may be considering other career options. As such, please advise us if would like to remain in our talent pool or would prefer to be withdrawn at this stage for any reason.

We will again contact you at the end of November with another update.

Wings23
8th Aug 2012, 08:18
Also just received the November update email. Ridiculous situation. Time for something else.

flying apple
8th Aug 2012, 08:32
Does anyone have a spare lifebuoy? Dont know if can keep swimming till November :E

jeanpaul172
8th Aug 2012, 08:45
In my opinion the temperament of the ´Updates´get more and more negative.
The first email still gave me some hope of getting called at the end of this year.
The ´end of july´ update diminishes that hope and leaves me wondering if they will ever call me at all (or just delete the talent pool when the 1 year interview to DOJ expires...)
In the email it was stated 'We hope to invite you when operational requirements permit' Also it was not adressed to me as a person anymore, but just to 'applicant'.
Maybe I'm a pessimist but the whole e-mail was short and cold.

Besides that, what happend that recruitement came to such an abrubt stop?

Thanks guys, and goodluck to all of you.

ironbutt57
8th Aug 2012, 09:12
Got the same one, 19k hours 4k PIC in Boeing and Airbus each..and current...looks like everybody is in the same Boat:}