View Full Version : Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

ramiyns
25th Jul 2008, 11:54
Guys safe your breath and stop the count down.

The pay rise,It turn out to be just rice.
The pay rise is been rejected completely by the CEO.
So stop dreaming,and wake up and deal with inflation and currency depreciation,and enjoy flying for less money.

Two Dogs....
25th Jul 2008, 12:14
No pay rise?? Enough is enough let's strike!! Illegal....Oh

OK, let's all resign together on the same day. Yeah, and any bastard that even applies for a job at Goat Airways after we resign gets put on that Scab List. What we need is an experienced leader, any nominations comrades....

javierdcv
25th Jul 2008, 17:24
Hi,
How are you?
writing from canary islands,spain.
May i ask you about first officer life at QR,salary,housing,roster,interview,etc...
i will go doha the 4th of august for interview..and will appreciate to have an idea what its like.
best regards
thank you
javier del corral videau

javierdcv
25th Jul 2008, 17:41
hi,
do you mind togive some details about the life in doha and flying into qr airways??salary,roster,days off,as much as you can give..to have an idea prior my interview??
thank you
best regards
javier

QTRminator
25th Jul 2008, 18:55
Well Javier... we're not that good actually, because as you might have seen, we're not getting any salary increase... but thanks for asking.:rolleyes:
I suggest you use the search-function and you will find your answers.
Good luck on your interview.

P.Clostermann
25th Jul 2008, 19:31
I heard we have our new SVPO to thank for...apparently it was him who said no payrise was necessary in view of the looming aviation crisis!

THANKS A LOT W.W.!:ugh:

Great introduction in this company mate...thats for sure the way to get the troops behind you!

But than again, there always had to be a reason why you fled the UK! From what I have heard they hate your guts overthere (both your ex-company as well as the UK CAA)

Two Dogs....
25th Jul 2008, 22:22
I nominate Pierre as our Leader!! He has the loudest bark.

Lulu qatar
26th Jul 2008, 22:28
No Increament On Qr Salary Till Next Sommer

Black Stain
27th Jul 2008, 11:15
Publishing your true identity on this gossip site is arrogant and stupid. That pilot dispute was started by arrogance and lost by stupidity:

How I got into this discussion is beyond me? Whereas my thoughts on scabs are well known, they are spoken out loud and not under a pseudonym on an anonymous forum such as this or any other for that matter.

Mate, your thoughts on so called scabs are a practiced barbeque sermon. Eer av a sausage, a beer and my opinion. You wear it like an old scout badge. Why are you surprised when one of your barbeque clowns dumps you in the pot with an ignorant and misguided jab? It is your own endless bitching to impressionable fools; always carefully behind the back you accuse, that now sees a bone pointed at you.

Everyone has heard your story. Let us level the game.

You and your greedy mates tried to hold a nation to ransom. An outrageous 30% pay rise on a softening market. In fact a similar sour global economy that we see now. Your employer, your government, in fact the whole nation didn’t blink when all of you fools resigned en-masse. It is a shame however, that so many young pilots ruined their careers by following the lead of silly old farts. And do you and your mates ever spare a thought for the many local tourism businesses sent to the wall by your actions? Aviation is an essential service, like police, fire brigade, ambulance service. Mass resignation by pilots is morally corrupt.

Scab labor was not used to end that dispute. You ended the dispute yourself, with your resignation. Please don’t now blame the AFAP, maybe if you were as noisy then as your current barbeque rants maybe your path would have been different. This scab list is a vengeful old fart fabrication and referred to by few employers anyway.

To rub the message in a little deeper, I joined there 5 years after you left and mate it was great. Excellent remuneration, working conditions and fantastic management. I guess they got rid of all the problem children with your bag.

Having said all that, I would be truly honored for you and your silly old mates to put me on that Scab List now please. You know who I am, and hell I sure deserve it after pissing on your campfire.

To the barbeque fools, why do you think the old fart will not ever retire? He has tried, yes? There is no welcome mat for him and his mates at home….

Black Stain
27th Jul 2008, 11:17
To the moderator: The above rant is relevant in the light of endless struggle between Goat and pilot. History is the best teacher.

Lulu qatar
27th Jul 2008, 13:29
Scabs are deangorous where ever they fly becouse they will do it again when we all stop they will fly for boss to get somthing back.
I agree with K.H 100% . Put them on list dont give them job or jumps seat and treat them like scabs as they do it to others.
QR scab was saved by CP while others where not .( remember Alexandria,Franfkurt,JNB....) all suspended only scab saved.

Two Dogs....
28th Jul 2008, 04:13
89'er scabs are a myth Lulu, just like the the Jewish suicide bombers that took down the world trade center. Your fellow pilots have not been entirely truthfull to you. Regards, ;)

FlyingCroc
28th Jul 2008, 05:54
89 industrial action a myth, what are you talking about mate. You guys still do not understand what industrial action mean and just us less moaning and whinging on pprune since nobody gives a rats ass what you think since you have no union to stand up for your interest.
And what is this crap about jewish suicide bombers, never heard about that one.

loc22550
28th Jul 2008, 14:30
CEO pita,
Are you really convinced that we gone have a lot of US pilots here in Qatar Airways...??I think Q.R is still waiting for them...!:bored:
Most of them are going to Dubai or Abu dhabi...

P.Clostermann
28th Jul 2008, 19:53
Lulu,

what the hell are you talking about mate? The other incidents you are referring to where 100% obvious and clear instructor failure. The mashad one is debatable, I give you that one!

But to bring up the alexandria thing! Man, that training captain was an absolute moron and what he did went not once but 4 times against several books we have to follow at QR..

All the way from his recovery crash technique on a 2200m RWY to his 'NOT'writing the incident in the techlog!

So before you open your mouth, think!

Black stain....well said!

Me as leader...NO THANKS! been there, done that....and you are absolutely right! A bottle of Lafitte and a juicy blond would instantly take my focus away...

Black Stain
28th Jul 2008, 23:21
With cane shaking and dentures chattering the old man of the air cursed:

"That asshole over there with the blue shirt took my fugging seat at the bingo table when I went for afternoon nap!! Everyone knows thats my fugging chair!! No-one can speak to him from now on."

LIBYA_LION
29th Jul 2008, 08:38
You still work at QR Black Stain?

Black Stain
29th Jul 2008, 15:11
I would ditch in the gulf rather than ever set foot in that dusty farmyard again Libya Lion.

NoJoke
30th Jul 2008, 01:34
I would take that as a NO. :ok:

No_BS
30th Jul 2008, 19:23
Black Stain- well said, you have left K.H. speachless...

The silence is deafening!

K.H. has not answered you back, oh wait he has….

K.H. = Lulu qatar!!!!:eek:
K.H nice to have someone striaght fwd on this forum.You might be old but you have bo...s !Its a sad person who gives himself kudos:=
reminds me of a song... “He was looking pretty dumb with his finger and and his thumb in the shape of a L on his forehead”:D

Safari Goat
31st Jul 2008, 08:27
We actually should get back on the subject of salary or start a new thread. Still off the subject of salary a bit. Most of us hide behind names here, as we rightfully should. If our identity was found out for saying anything about the chief pilots, management and or the company it would hurt us with promotions and life at this job in the middle east.....TRUE!
K.H has Ba...ls and stood up to one or two of you who hide behind these names and point fingers. For this you jump all over him? WHY?
I actually remember when K.H stood up to POPAY (popay was an old sign on name here for someone) and did you know that they became friends after their conflict?
It really confirms the small minded, immature people that we work with here in our small part of the sandpit. We are expanding here with more and more complainers coming in everyday. I guess people from the old school with morals and good experience, are now the minority in Qatar Airways.

Smirnoff N21
31st Jul 2008, 13:22
S.G. just to clarify a bit your statement. There was never a conflict but rather a dispute. It's still an actual issue btw. Who is QR good for or what's your take on QR? It was a genuine reference to early retirees let it be from CX LH BA whatever. That fact that K.H. is the only one from C.X. doesn't costitute a malicious intent hidden in a genuine reference. How it perceived from the other party is unpredictable and can lead to tensions provided the no wind up was intended in first place. Hot headed discussions are useless and not conclusive. Generally we don't have to love or to hate each other as long as the job is done professionally. What matters is not who's right but what's right.
Doesn't work in QR though. Stand up against popay well, it's like Mike Tyson against a tiny skinny student. Give it break, will ya. No compare at all. Still QR is generally understood to be a good escape for early retiree or ab initio. nothing for experienced pilots being ready for a big frog leap in the career.
Best regards to Mr. Aussie K.H. he can afford to be straight forward guy without being dragged to much into politics in QR. Good candidate for a leading position but then half of QR pilots have to go not meeting the standards, I'm afraid.
Don't take it personally take it on the rocks!!!:ok:

Safari Goat
31st Jul 2008, 17:03
Don't get me wrong Smirnoff, I actually like the popay guy. I thought he was also a guy who stood up to people. I was not saying that he was immature or small minded. actually the opposite for him. I enjoyed talking to him before he left. I actually liked to fly with both K.H and Popay. Two good guys.

CEO PITA
31st Jul 2008, 18:46
We dont need clostermans we need experianced people with boo.... And K.H is one of them .

Lulu qatar
31st Jul 2008, 19:23
popay boy is now doing his left seat in A.A . Congrets mate !

bluesky dreamer
31st Jul 2008, 20:06
Hello
This is my first time on pprune.
I recieved an invitation to the Qatar screening.
I've done a lot of research but cant find much information.
Please tell me about the interview.
Whatquestions do they ask?
How does the pay break down?
How much do you fly ?
And what aircraft are most pilots assigned to?

Smirnoff N21
31st Jul 2008, 20:14
No worries S.G. Upgrades, well probably, THE most important occurrence in pilot's life. Don't know how much of that is true but I hear frightening rumors of a very unusually high failure rate at different stages. It's OK if the failure rate fluctuates somewhere around 10% but from what I understand it's at least 50%. That's scary indeed. This guys on the right aren't sand sacks, aren't they.
Anyhow not my worry anymore. Good luck guys and hopefully you'll get through without getting astronauts.

vivace
1st Aug 2008, 04:23
Popay if memory serves me right(as he had a picture of himself on his profile) is not in A.A but left QR months ago and is now back in Germany. Good guy, and not sure where hes heading local German airline I heard last.

CEO PITA
1st Aug 2008, 15:05
Yea Popay is in Germany in city " Kuala Lumpur"

Capt Krunch
7th Aug 2008, 15:41
Have any of you guys bothered to use the SEARCH function on this site.... sure would save us old timers allot of time in repeating and repeating the same Sh!t over and over and over again

and just one advise.. if you have ajob.. don't come here, if you have a life, dont come here, if your out of work, no money, deep in debt, no way out, ok then you have no choice, come here.

as far as the interview is concerned.. did mine decades ago so i can't help there.. but from what i see with some the F/O's i fly with, if you got 2 arms, 2 legs, can blink and breath, you got the job, standards here are far far below the bottom of that old barrel.

:mad:
Posioned by Compromise
Krunch

Don't shout its rude, EGGW

pspcz
7th Aug 2008, 16:17
sicological test. 16 questions

and obviously they isnt no spellin or IQ test neither

KRUGERFLAP
7th Aug 2008, 17:47
Considering some Captains in AL Qataria is the same standard or below , very very low.Sometimes very dangerous my friend.
Even on the widebody fleet. I feel sorry for the TRIs, and the poor First Officers.

But there are some preety good guys left or right seaters.

captjim
8th Aug 2008, 06:45
OK, I've seen the 2,000 post threads. They are very long, very old and take forever to pick out relevant and current info. Could someone other than a grumpy old timer please update the pay, housing, and roster info. I'm flying charter in the middle east and am woundering if it would be worth it to fly a heavy. Also how is the quality of life there?

KRUGERFLAP
8th Aug 2008, 07:50
CAPTAIN:

BASIC: 26500 QR
HOUR: 120 QR ( average 70-80 hs montly)
HOUSE ALLOWANCE: 12000 QR montly
TRANSPORT ALLOWANCE:
PER DIEM: very low ( big table to see the values and depend on the layover station)
SCHOOL ALLOWANCE: 50000 QR annual

FIRST OFFICER:

BASIC: 18500 QR
HOUR: 90 QR ( average 70-80 hs montly)
HOUSE ALLOWANCE: 10000 QR montly
TRANSPORT ALLOWANCE: 1500 QR
PER DIEM:very low ( big table to see the values and depend on the layover station)
SCHOOL ALLOWANCE: 50000 QR annual

msian1147
8th Aug 2008, 08:19
really?

i thought FOs earn QR 36,100 monthly..?

Sudan19
8th Aug 2008, 09:13
the airline started in 1994. so how did you do yours decades ago????

are you talkin s:mad:t or i just can't read?????

Terri Wrist
8th Aug 2008, 09:26
You can read ok, you dont understand what you read:ugh: Every year in Doha is like a decade in prison:sad:

loc22550
8th Aug 2008, 14:44
Msian1147..yes indeed:
..36000.. QR/month... that's what you might get for the total (excluding education allowance but including house allowance).:hmm:

msian1147
9th Aug 2008, 09:27
better join EY or EK then :}

Lulu qatar
16th Sep 2008, 21:10
New memo is out :
No fleet transfere as it is expencive .
DEC 777 + 330
UK licence is +
Upgrade slow down to 12 per year
salary increament - 0
qatari pilots dont get any management position
Lets start all over as at 2000y remember ?
I.M and B.W get direct on A330 so they can go for vacation with wifes to Bali and LHR it was cheap to give them CCQ A320-330 but its expencive for others IN the airline so we can bring DEC
777 fleet is mess all over cant even get a DCT without fight
A330 is doing OK with CP and DCP + roster
A320 is a joke fleet ( instead going to jail they send you on A320 )
A300 is having good time
A340 roster good/ airplane bad
There is a BLACK Cb+TS over Doha ( i guess it come all over from UK ),LVP in progress and as we all know we dont carry extra fuel ha ha, which is good alternete ? answer is "ETIHAD" WX is good there and no Cb s .

Ronaldo 330
16th Sep 2008, 21:18
I didnt saw that ACN but i will check it on my next flight .
A320 is really bad with bad roster and bad destinations
B777 will be good i hope in year or 2
DEC wow not good for us !!!

PIPE RIDER
16th Sep 2008, 22:05
Not really surprised about UK licenses as this people should pray facing LHR...
cause is sooooo good for them, and they make fun cause Indians want to have brit passport.

B777 good job guys keep on burning engines...
A300 half of your roster is DH (unpaid duties)
A320 do we actually have a CP or DCP or Training CP??????never seen em.....
A330 They DO have a responsible person on the office...
A340 the perfect commercial decision longest A/C in the world with the worst seating config....
New managers (yawn) have they approached any pilot meeting or something like that? please tell us the goals that the new upgrades/transfer policies are trying to achieve....
Salaries...nah pilots are cheap dont worry we will have more begging for jobs soon, and speaking that redneck thing they call english....
Yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel, the question is, Is it the exit? or a train approaching head on to run you over??

loc22550
17th Sep 2008, 04:40
DEC 777/A-330...from Where...??

plumponpies
17th Sep 2008, 14:25
Just A quick question guys.
Currently 738 rated and 2000 hrs. F/O
Got an interview coming up. Which fleet is my likely destination?
Not sure i want the 320 fleet after reading all the SH8te.
By the way , don't tell me to stay where i am, 'cause where i was is now no more!;)

Homo Ludens
17th Sep 2008, 14:50
you'll get the T7, most likely.
and a shortend course, at that.
Good luck!

ali03
17th Sep 2008, 15:24
Hi
any idea about what is the most important;i mean the interview or the sim ?
Im f/o on 737ng an my sim on A320 was a pretty bad
i worry about it .
thanks for your help

PIPE RIDER
17th Sep 2008, 16:28
mmmhh you better worry about your english.

loc22550
18th Sep 2008, 10:39
Plumponies:
hope for you you will not be put on the A-320; not because of the 320 itself but because of 320 roster; totally unbalanced,unfair,unsafe(very tiring,crew pushed to the limit of legality).
Cheers.

loc22550
18th Sep 2008, 13:23
EPR:

2)-3)
-Correct basic salary new F/O 18000QR ,CPT 26500 QR.
It Represents 40..50% of your final salary IF you take the house allowance.

-Does it go up..? Oh yes...3%:hmm: increase (on the basic only) every year BUT only for the first four year in your respective grade! Why only for the first four year.....?Maybe you got the answer...i don't have it!
(for info inflation in Doha is around 15%..20% for 2008!)

-Retirement?:} Nothing provided by the company.

To make it short in Q.R you got paid for what you perform,no less no more: no bonus,no benefit,no pension....

loc22550
18th Sep 2008, 13:53
The Basic with EY is much more, but the flight allowance is less.
All together at the end of the month don't think there is that much difference...between EY and QR (only when you go on leave as the basic is higher with EY).
People who are leaving QR for EY it's not for the money,but the way you are treated there i guess it's a world of difference with QR.
And Abu dhabi is probably a better place to live as well compared to Doha....

Qatari515
18th Sep 2008, 14:59
Probably true...

But do not get fooled by time to upgrade....QR and EY have exactly the same policy:

OM says 3 years in company...reality will be much longer if you join now.Goes for both QR and EY
Upgrade done on A320 in both airlines. In EY B777 FO to A330 capt is about to be stopped. As well no MFF for newly upgraded skippers!

Its a though choice if you are planning to come to the sandpit. But it is my opinion that as an FO you better stay in whatever company you came here, wait for an upgrade and than move if you want to do that.
My personal opinion: Same S..T different place....If I move I will move out of the region!

Other warning: Air Asia!

Many people thinking of joining Air Asia as a trade in for QR. My advise would be to talk to the ex Air Asia guys we have flying here.

Ask them about:

Rostering
Legalities
The CEO
Management pressure
Aircraft maintenance
4.5 G Landings
Landings in clean config at 220KIAS
ETOPS or non-ETOPS
CAT I only
money
You think algerian and libian captains are bad to fly with....How about flying with an ex Malaysian Air force jetjock?

And most important: IF, and I say IF with a reason, they give you an upgrade there, do you think any other serious company will hire you as a captain in the future?

JUST ASK THEM BEFORE YOU MAKE A MOVE. It might be worth it...

Lulu qatar
18th Sep 2008, 18:35
Aske same question to QR pilots :
CEO : you must fly with knife in cabin to SAA becaouse i say so
Roster : joke joke joke 7 days landing at 7 and departing same night 19h
Legality : o you are legal sir coz you flown to India which is 3 h difference
Management pressure : Capt why you didnt use discretion ? O you didnt have hat we must issue you a warning letter
Aircraft maintenance :777 in Gender at the moment
Hard Landings on 330 : AA didnt have any on 330 Qr ( more inst was demoted for that reason then promoted ) JED 9 milion $
Landing in clean config : Check Johannesburg incident o they didnt have clean config but there where 195 kts in overspeed A330 again
Money : as F/O in QA you get about 26 to 29 k when they take youre housing alowance i guess in AAA as Capt you get more and there is no higher rent then Doha remember ( Paris,London,Franfkurt more cheap then Doha )

skya320
18th Sep 2008, 20:35
EPR SET
1) It's not true. You will be paid basic salary QR 18,000 / month (USD 4,932) until you finish your line training.
During line training you will also get pay by the block hours *AFTER* you get rid of cover pilot. It should be like this if things hasn't change. As for housing allowance, if you choose to stay in the company provided accom., you will not get those housing allowance. Goodluck!

Qatari515
18th Sep 2008, 21:49
Only one comment...

Lulu, get your facts straight before spreading rubbish on this forum!

QR is not a perfect airline, and we all know it, but lying about the truth is not going to help a thing!

All I was saying is that Air Asia might not be such a good move after QR, especially if your expectations are set very high when going there. It simply is NOT better than QR....

Just for the sport...

CEO....no comment but it seems to me, talking to the Malaysian guys, that the CEO of Air Asia is quite a nutcase himself!

Rostering....just have a look at an Air Asia A320 roster. You'll be crying to have your QR one back, even on A320!

Legality....didnt they tell you in school never to believe the guys behind the desk when they tell you something is legal? Have the decency to open your OM and study chapter 7 so you know what you are dealing with. I can tell you that I never went on an illegal flight in my life, no matter what rostering says. But than again, I know my chapter 7 pretty good! Happens in all airlines!

Pressure...well, many years in this airline....never was pressured one single time to do a flight! I have been asked, thats true, but in 50% of these cases I said NO because it did not suit me and I have not heard anything of it since!

Maintenance...your 777 example just shows you have No idea what you are talking about...Maintenance is very good at QR, and thats just a fact!

HArd landings...we had quit a few, thats true. But none of them was above 2.5G and none of them resulted in a write off! In AA on the other hand....

The JHB landing...ugly story, I agree. But the aircraft never was in the same danger as the 220kias in AA one.Just have a look at my Malaysian Iarforce remark above and than ask any of the Malaysian pilots here exactly what happend, what was said in the flight deck and where the capatins background was... And QR took appropriate action against the captain, while I believe the captain in AA is still flying around in a left seat (Correct me if wrong on this one please...)

Capt pay in AA is almost the same as new FO in QR....

So please, stop the BS and inform people correctly! As said before , QR is far from being a perfect airline and it is not everybody's cup of tea but hey, keep it descent!
I understand you are frustrated about something but that does not justify lies. You are not only fooling others, you are fooling yourself as well!

Mr Ho
19th Sep 2008, 12:44
400 fo and 12 upgrade every year? That mean 33 year to captian? This arab math wrong yes? :8

ali03
19th Sep 2008, 13:39
Hi
Hope it was ok for you:)

ali03
19th Sep 2008, 13:44
thanks a lot for your help !:ok:

Qatari515
19th Sep 2008, 13:47
Your math is wrong HO, as usual! Too much Melanine in your powder milk maybe?

Three years ago --> 0 upgrades
Two years ago --> 10 upgrades
Last year --> 15 upgrades
This year --> 15 upgrades

The number is rising and will go to a minimum of 4/month --> 48/year

Substract from that the guys who fail ( yes, not everybody is suitable for command HO, remember that), the guys who dont meet the requirements etc and I would honestly say that if you join now, you can expect an upgrade in 6/7 years!

This still is good compared to the international average in major carriers.

CX --> 12 years
BA --> 17 years
AF --> 11 years
UA --> 15 years+
AA --> 15 years +

Once more...stick to the facts!:ugh:

ali03
19th Sep 2008, 15:07
Hi
i just come from Qatar interview
it was ok for the questions but not really for the sim
i have about 3600 h on 737 and im type rated 737NG
it was A320 so you can imagine how was the sim
they said us to wait about 3 weeks
i worry about it
what do you think about it Loc?
many thanks:ok:

abel.amir
20th Sep 2008, 02:24
Hi all:

I do not understand why is so bad to work for Qatar Airways and you are still working there, I bet it must be horrible to work with those of you constantly complaining for a lack of a better word:yuk:. *******Do yourself a big favor and QUIT*******

tbaylx
20th Sep 2008, 02:48
Funny that is just what GF management was saying just before a good percentage of the pilots did just that.

Lulu qatar
20th Sep 2008, 07:18
Qatari 515 you want to say that its better to wait 5-6 y as F/O in Doha then to go to A.A as DEC and spend this time as Capt and log 3500 PIC and earn same salary ???? Whats the point staying in QA if you can spend same time in AA with same salary and be Capt . Dont have to mention thet Malaysia is cheaper then Doha ( rent 10 times less then in Doha ,food 3 times....) and you dont live in ME in dust with Land Cruisers chase youre wife when she walk at road . A.A dont have TERMINATION department which 5 star airline like QA has on 3th floor next to imigration dep. Why rsignation/termination department ? simple answer there is more rsignations and terminations then any other airline so we need someone to send us home in 24h . Is it true or i lie again Qatari 515 ?? Qatari 515 how do you explain EU,Lationos and others F/O who run away to AA without resignation in QA ? Yea if you resign youre salary is frozen for 3 month and you are not alowed to leave Qatar ( so free and fair airline) Popay got tru intervew in Qa and went to AA,Francess left ,Jamal left,Mark left,Hardip ....... more and more all in AA are thay stupid ??Q.A is airline which you jojn and resign after 2-5 y its all becaouse misstreatment and no respect to pilots . Youre CP or DCP can be good and give you 4 days off but thats all he can do if CEO dont want to sign youre upgrade youre CP cant do anything and it happened already .Cabin crew need clereance from CEO to get married ?? Whats this man ? In AA dont think so .We have over 5 Capt and F/o who cant bring wifes into Doha coz they are ex crew and CEO dont want to give (no objection to Immigration ) is this better then AA as well ? On meeting he will tell us : i will act against you but am busy now (crew reporting Capt asking for De caffe ) remember last meeting ?Anyone can resign i have many pilots want to jojn QA this is 1 more he told us .As long as airlines go down and we have pilots on market salary will stay decreased for 30 % as inflation in 2 y is total 30 % .

Two Dogs....
20th Sep 2008, 08:27
Lulu I don't think even 515 actually believes half the stuff he says here. He lay with his new master when he first arrived and ever since then has been trying to put a positive spin on the horrid facts. Goat Airways is probably the worst airline in the world, avoid if possible. If they catch you try to get out asap. What else does a job hunter need to know??

Qatari515
20th Sep 2008, 13:30
Dogman,

wrong once more. I do believe what I am writing here and I never had or will have a master mate!

Lulu,

As I said before, QR is not perfect and we all know it! But I have been here many years and believe me, I do have other options when looking at my nationality and original licence!

I just do not believe in people who can only spread lies here, with the sole purpose of destabilising this airline.
Did you know we have a large group of posters who spread only rubbish with as a purpose seeing as many people as poissible leave or refrain from joining, so they can have the position they want or the salary they need?

I am sorry, but I dont play games like that! Thats why...STICK TO THE FACTS!

Just as an example: POPAY went to AA after he passed the interview....man, check your fact before you write something please!

Do you really want to go deeper into the details of why those guys you mentioned there by name are joining AA? If you want I will, but I am sure they will not be happy to see their stories spread out on a public forum!

You want to go there and become an i nstant HOTSHOT captain...by all means mate, GO! Try it!
Go and live in Kota kinabalu, live on 6500UDS while flying 100hrs/month

That is IF they keep their promise and actually make you a captain!

And good luck to you, IF you ever make it to your claimed 3500Hrs PIC, in finding another job. I know at least three major carriers who will NOT accept you as DEC if you did your initial upgrade at Air Asia.

But hey, I am not the one keeping you from taking that decision! GO AHEAD! Just do not come crying somewhere in the future!

I just give facts, thats all. And I learned not to believe in fairy tales anymore. Instant upgrade, cheap lifestyle,.....Nono, does not fool me!

And whats the BIG DEAL about waiting 5 years for a command anyway? Are you that old that you have to be captain right here right now? Whats the hurry?
I bet in your previous company it took much longer to get an upgrade than in QR. doesnt it?

Just remember, when you are this impatient to get what you think might be the walhalla in aviation, maybe you are not cut out of the right wood to become a commander!

All I am trying to do here is to prevent some of the nice latin american guys we have here from making a decision, which could easily turn out the biggest mistake in their carreers!
A lot of them believe AA is the paradise in aviation to go to, all I am asking is to think twice!

Talk to the guys who have been there, go and have a look yourself!

What kind of a company that takes itself seriously, does a one hour improvised interview after which they offer you an instant upgrade! You think its because they need your perfect flying skills, your unfailable decision making capabilities,....?????YEAH RIGHT? They might take you because they are in dire needs for pilots at the moment because too many Malaysians ran away as fast as they could!

What will happen once you are in is that they will start nagging about your licence ( which is not JAR OPS), your frozen ATPL etc after which they will tell you its not possible to sit on the left seat....OOps sorry....

Once more....GO AHEAD and try it!:ugh:

Last post from my part on this boring subjects...the deaf dont listen and the blind dont see anyway

Smirnoff N21
20th Sep 2008, 18:34
Hey big fellas come on give it a break. It's totally normal that people migrate all the time to and from QR and AA back and forth. It's about philosophies and believes of what's right and what's wrong as well as self-esteem and valuation of folks concerned. QR believes F/O has to be an astronaut to be a Cpt and demands accordantly, fair enough, though practise shows in some cases the opposite let alone the performance of DEC. AA uses the current market situation and blindness of others and seeks a bargain, head hunting for experienced guys and given them THE last boost, smart move if you ask me. Again, I'd do the same and would recommend to QR to do the same. It can't be that wrong since many others do fast track upgrade or DEC for SFO. I'll take the freedom to speak for some folks who left to AA, it's definitely a better deal, alone taking into account the unreliability of QR. The only reason why so many ongoing candidates left QR is that there's no TRUST. No one believes a word said in the office. It may appear a bit implausible when it comes to F/Os but there are many Cpts. as well who made their move. QR 515 I'm sorry to disagree with you but I definitely recommend to anyone to make that move. Other than that it's pointless to try to discredit anyone's reputation or principles of conduct. Just to make you aware not every QR's F/o gets it a go in AA, they seem to be well aware of candidates past and file's cleanness and potential for command-abilities. The idea of being concerned about the individual's well-being is inappropriate in the world of practical decision making. If QR was really seeking candidates dedicating themselves to the airlines future they would offer a career path not an abuse. Regarding the licenses and other aspects no worries it's all blessed by the CAA and before you offered a job all eventualities are well teken care of. Come on 5 awards for being of THE most innovative business entity is something. Think about it.

It takes about 10 years to bring up a potential Cpt candidate and requires tremendous financial and time consuming investment. It takes just few vain promisses and abuses to lose it. Stuff to think about, ain't it.

A330 man
20th Sep 2008, 20:03
Q.A
New memo is out :
No fleet transfere as it is expencive .
DEC 777 + 330
UK licence is +
Upgrade slow down to 12 per year
salary increament - 0
qatari pilots dont get any management position
Lets start all over as at 2000y remember ?
I.M and B.W get direct on A330 so they can go for vacation with wifes to Bali and LHR it was cheap to give them CCQ A320-330 but its expencive for others IN the airline so we can bring DEC
777 fleet is mess all over cant even get a DCT without fight
A330 is doing OK with CP and DCP + roster
A320 is a joke fleet ( instead going to jail they send you on A320 )

Lulu Qatar & Pipr Rider, check this link, it will provide you with more information about the new policy of fleet transfer especially for instructors.
Cheers

http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/343530-qatar-airways-losing-instructors.html

Qatari515
20th Sep 2008, 20:17
OK, fair enough....

I said Id leave it at this, and so I will.

Two rethorical questions for you than N21:

1) How come you stayed many years, took the so called abuse and only left after a private dispute (nothing to do with flight ops but with HR) prooved to be impossible to solve?

2) How come that, when you left, you did NOT go to Air Asia? You had the option available to you, yet You opted to go to an outfit which, looking at the outside glitter and glamour awards you are referring to, is much less reputable, pays less and has a much more uncertain future company wise.

I am sure you must have had a very valid reason, as I hold you in high respect as you know and you are one of the smartest people I have seen around here for a long time. What intrigues me is that so many people seem to be defending a company which actually, they dont know at all!

I thought Air Asia was a good company and could even be once an alternative for myself, but after having met several pilots who flew there before and who told me the insides, I changed opinion dratstically.

It might be a good alternative if one is without a job. But I am not sure at all if it would suit as an alternative to QR.

As you said, jedem das seine = everybody decides for himself, case closed I would say. I just tried to offer some much needed perspective to the case here, as once more here in Qatar the pessimism and "grass is greener on the other side syndrome" are spreading faster than a supervirus!

For some guys it will be the right thing to do I am sure. This for sure is the case for the guys who failed their upgrades here for example. But to make this move after 6 - 12 months here, after having invested so much money plus having signed a bond....Not a good thing I would say.

But than again, who am I?:eek:

Qatari515
20th Sep 2008, 20:56
Too many questions....

QR is looking to buy a regional jet. They took options on the new C-series. However nobody knows if this is just a strategic move to block a production line ( a well practiced move in the middle east), to put them in the leasing company or to operate them themselves!

The end of service benefit is described in the Qatari labour law and thus is a legal requirement to be given to all skilled laborers in this country.
It is three weeks of your last basic salary, per year of service for the first 5 years. For year 6-10 it is 4 weeks, above 10 (hahaha) it becomes 5 weeks

737NG to 777 is possible and depends on company requirements

Long term .....well euhhh????:sad:

Two Dogs....
21st Sep 2008, 07:21
For someone without a Master you do seem rather well practiced at "chase the ball", "find the stick" and "roll over"??? :p

Question: Why do so many people absolutely hate all things Qatari? To answer, that well Fred over there says he loves the place and therefore everyone else is lying, is a very strange argument 515? :hmm:

Truthful words again from Smirnoff:

The only reason why so many ongoing candidates left QR is that there's no TRUST.

If QR was really seeking candidates dedicating themselves to the airlines future they would offer a career path not an abuse

vivace
21st Sep 2008, 07:50
Qatari515, in response to your post above... the guys who have left so far to AA apart from one German guy,had very good reputations/clean records with QR and were heading for command in QR. From friends in training dept. they were surprised they left as they had a good history in the company. I know two of them and these guys opted for lifestyle, Malaysias an attractive place with a low cost of living.
You mention facts but yours are all way out, Im a 10000hr + capt,more than 7000 on Airbus and believe me I looked into going there as well just for the better living conditions.I researched it...salary there is around 9000USD a month, the company is a very different place now to the AA guys you talk to who left in the old days. All new aircraft, big orders and a huge force here in Asia. Many ex AA capts left to EY,EK and Europe as well as KAL etc etc.Companies dont bias baed on previous airline,they survey you in the interview,thats what its for. You dont just walk into the job either,targetting high hour experienced guys with a comprehensive sim check,high failure rate. For me it wont work as with teeenage kids who need a private IB(euro system)school,there is no education allowance so I had to cancel the plan.

Qatari515
21st Sep 2008, 08:28
Two dogs...whatever....

Did I ever say someone is lying? No!

Did I ever discuss Malaysias lifestyle and cost of living ( living a normal life and not a luxurious expat lifestyle)? No I did not!

All I ever did was adjusting the pink colored idea (I am NOT colorblind:sad: so not of the K9 family) of the Air Asia dream.
The stories my fellow pilots, who want to go there, keep on telling me are just not true! How do I know? Well, simply by talking to people who have been there. From normal line pilots to chief pilots! Because we have them all here, as you must now without a doubt!

They are all induced by a certain individual flying for QR at the moment, who is leaving all of a sudden to take a management position in AA in december, and who now is actively recruiting inside Qatar Airways!

Once more, everybody should do what he thinks is best for him and who am I to try to change that! I agree....but people should open their eyes and look at the real thing which are on the table!

Since you think I am happy here without ane reserves...think again mate! I am on the same roller coaster ride as everyone else, with ups and downs, highs and lows...

And for my self I had to admit that after all, QR is not THAT bad being an expat pilot! I get paid, I made progress, I have a worldwide network to travel on and I can save money! I am capable of admitting that and no cockpit rumor can change that as far I am concerned. Sure, EK and SQ might be better. MAybe so is CX.....but I would have to look long and deep into it before I would make a jump again as expat!

At the end, no matter where you go, you will always be the stranger in the bunch, the mercenary!

And better the devil you know than the devil you dont know!

Vivace,

sorry just saw your editted post now.

I got my facts from an FO who just did his interview and was offered a fast track upgrade. Interview lasted exactly 1 hour!

The salary you are quoting....OK so my source took 1500usd of it! Fair enough, maybe yours has been updated. Still what you are quoting is less than a FO salary here without housing allowance! Correct?

Plus no shooling benefits, no travel benefits,....

Only the vague promise of a possible upgrade and the lifestyle (KL lifestyle fits some, botters other)

Over and out!

:mad:

P.Clostermann
21st Sep 2008, 08:58
Heheheh, a good old pissing contest...always appreciated and lots of fun to read!

My opinion....

Everybody should do what he thinks is best for him. Don't listen to anybody, especially on forums like this one!

Set your goals (professionally, private) and go for it! If that means the malaysian lifestyle than that's fine. If it means the larger salary of Doha than it is Doha!

One thing I have to agree with QR515 (at least that's what he is trying to do) is that we should all stick to the facts only! Forums like this one would have so much more value if everybody would just leave his emotions out of it and gave the facts only!

Good luck to all of you in finding the righteous path!:\

vivace
21st Sep 2008, 09:06
Q515, youre right..because of lack of education allowance if like me you have older kids then AA is no more an option.Like you say,its not for everybody. Education expensive there. But for the guys who went,they are flying as capts,there is no BS regarding the upgrade. I just flew with an FO who was there recently for the interview, one hour interview and a 1 hour sim check. Remember the ones making it for interview have been recommended or know the management there, from what I hear no one is getting in just by applying online. So they are interviewing guys they know basically.
Just have to wait for the kids to leave home, and ill be there too! QR still the third class company when it comes to the airlines im afraid.

Lulu qatar
21st Sep 2008, 10:11
F/O in Q.A gets same salary as Capt in A.A
Salary big or low ? depends of how much you can buy with it .
Doha : 1kg veg 4 times more then in Malaysia
1 kg of fish 2 times more then in Malaysia
rent of house 10 times more then in Malaysia
Starbucks 2 times more then there
A.A :Cabin crew can enter cockpit ( in red mini scirts )
Malaysian Capt who is recruting in QA is not pulling people come to AA they are asking him to help them get out of QR which dont have plan or job security and you must know that Lationo American F/O who jojn at 2006 is F/O number 231 in QA with rate of 15-30 upgrades per year only on A320 it will take him 7-11 y to command and when time come if he dont die of stupid roster and manage to reach intervew he might not know the answer on question :why the sky is blue ? he will fail after all this years waiting while in AA as soon he step in he get P1 SIM .

If you need in Qatar 25 K to live you would need 15 K in Malaysia i guess so youre salary is the same .

Ronaldo 330
21st Sep 2008, 10:19
Kuala Lumpur ,Kota Kinabalu.... are really nice places to live .
Kuala Lumpur is NY for Doha .
Malaysia and Qatar what are you talking about ?
Malaysia truly Asia and Qatar truly desert.

AA dont have British management which make AA better by all means .

OrryFace
21st Sep 2008, 10:53
Qatari515,
Read the small print. Qatar Labor law does not apply to certain categories of organisation and when it suits them that means QR. So never rely on it as applying to you. It might do...but there are plenty of instances where they choose to opt out.

Mr Ho
21st Sep 2008, 23:55
Always I want fly air asia, close home nice food. Fail interveiw and i come here to this luvly cuntry. Tankyou for job king of katamites :8

Low IN Fuel
22nd Sep 2008, 04:18
Qatari 515,
It seems to me that all your facts based upon one F/O feeding you the information,so why you think you are right and every one else is wrong!think about it.

Hajj Man
22nd Sep 2008, 06:19
Not really changing the topic here but what about the first post by LuLu Qatar.

I.M and B.W get direct on A330 so they can go for vacation with wifes to Bali and LHR

Getting paid to be in an office to organize the Training department sorted out and you go one week a month, every month on a long layover pleasure trip? Yes I know you like to fly but diving in Male or sitting on the beach in Bali should not be your main goal right now. You have a job to do, so sit in the office and do it. Once the job is done or at lease running a little better then you can go "FLY."

This is a huge problem because nothing has changed since you have gotten into the office or if it has, we have not seen it!

Does anyone else see it like this? Am I the only one who can see that these guys are here on a leasure trip?

HM:ok:

AirbusMaster
22nd Sep 2008, 06:42
Qatari515,….I wonder if Mr Ho is just making a joke out of himself in each and every thread..?
Wasn't he the clown of the "QA Losing Instructors" forum??

AirbusMaster
22nd Sep 2008, 07:01
Allow me to disagree with you, things has changed a lot since IM came to office, indeed to worse, but the change is obvious.

1-The guy got himself a wide body rating even before he sat in the office
2-He managed to push many captains away from joining the training team.
3-He demoralized both 320 and 330 TRE.
4- The slowest rhythm QA ever witnessed in any department (how many months is he talking about the MFF? yet he could not implement it (what a leader!)
5-The high rate of command upgrade failures during interviews, sim,line training and even final check!
6-The mess in the training department is obvious, instructors go to the sim unaware of today's session syllabus due to changing trainee without notification (I saw a TRI searching for the session syllabus because he never received the monthly training program, so he found someone's name that was not in his roster to get different training) I was told it happens regularly!!

But hey, the man is very busy in Bangkok and Bali, give him a break, he needs to accumulate hours on the 330 for the next airline!

Smirnoff N21
22nd Sep 2008, 07:27
the phrase has a very symbolic meaning my friend namely During World War II, the Nazis used the German phrase at the entrance to the Buchenwald concentration camp. The gate reading "To Each His Own" remained in use after the war, when the Soviets occupied the camp and utilized it for the imprisonment of the Nazis themselves. That could also be easily written on the tech building's entrance with the exception of killing or torturing of course. Cut the long story short I value myself more than vain promisses thus abuse of trust has clearly taken place. As it turns out, the new policy has just made it clear that if I stayed I'd be screwed for the next 2-3 years on the 320. Remember 330 was promised to us. Is that a problem? NO i can live with that. Is that an abuse of your trust? YES. Accommodation same story etc etc etc. Once I've been told by very senior people in the airline a brilliant principle "the more senior you get the less you're respected" All in all it's QR's policy to cook you hopes and trust on the long flame and keep you hoping for whatever.... Hope dies at last, doesn't it. That's the answer to your questions QR 515 and as much as I respect you as a participant on this discussion, I have to comprehend the reality and simply do what's best for me, not for QR. It works out nicely for both of us QR got me fooled for 4,5 years keeping me in the right seat and the closer one comes to command the more rigorous the abuse becomes cause they simply believed one has got nowhere to go and it's too risky. I got 330/340 on my C.V. with world wide experience catapulting me to the top candidates as DEC on the list of others. There's always a way and as long as QR doesn't learn to treat people with dignity and human touch the outcome will be the same "abuse and get abused". As an individual one has got to face this question "DO I WANT TO DEAL WITH UNRELIABLE AND UNPREDICTABLE PARTNER?" If the answer is yes go for it if it's NO kiss it good bye.

A330 man
22nd Sep 2008, 07:51
Once I've been told by very senior people in the airline a brilliant principle "the more senior you get the less you're respected" All in all it's QR's policy to cook you hopes and trust on the long flame and keep you hoping for whatever

Completely correct Smirnoff.

Qatari515
22nd Sep 2008, 09:00
I agree on this one N21, a 100%! As usual you did put in exactly the correct wording! The comparison with Buchenwald is a bit harsh I would say, but all in all not a bad one:}

Good luck on your new career path, you deserve it!

Regarding AA, I think all has been said by now. No, I dont think I am right and all others are wrong. And No, I did not get all my info from one FO I met.Myself I looked into joining AA a while ago and I did lots of research. Good points as well as bad points where found by the way. AA is not a bad airline, but its certainly not the paradise some pilots here are hoping to find overthere!

All I tried to do is opening up the discussion, add some flavour to it and make people think! And by the looks of it I think I succeeded!Now its everybody for himself...

Good luck with the choices to be made and the paths to be followed! A lot of you guys will truly be missed around here if you decide to go!

:ok:

Smirnoff N21
22nd Sep 2008, 09:48
well QR 515 since we agreed on terms let's make a bit of brainstorming. QR isn't a career path but just a business "partner", if you wanna call it this way. Hence no emotional binding is involved resulting in loyalty and engagement.
Therefore one has simply to compare risk/reward ratio with various entities.
Let's see that R/R ratio in QR:
1. upgrade 5 years earliest provided no political turmoil etc. I assume one will pass it without problems which is another issue.
2. Bond- used to be something like 30 K US $ or 3 years now it's gone I believe.
3. Upgrade A 320 only regardless of experience etc.
4. Fleet transfer 2-3 years stuck on 320 and then as needed by the company
5. Money monthly savings average about 3500 US $ a month without inflation currency depreciation. Medical care for the family provided.
6. living conditions...no comments.
7. Roster A320 in QR is a nightmare with endless night duties juiced up by split duties.
8. Stability very stable of course backed up by petro bucks.

AA or some others:
1. DEC A 320
2. NO BOND if rated or only 5000 US $ as DEC for the line training.
3. 320/330 mixed fleet flying after about 2 years.
4. Monthly income about 29000 MYR thus saving about the same as QR bearing in mind one get about 900 US $ a month into solely owned provident fund. That makes it 4400 US $ a month. Medical care for the whole family provided as well.
5. Living condition well no need to compare I hope you'll agree.
6. Roster 5 ON 4 OFF 5 ON 3 OFF exactly the same pattern as EZY.
7. Last but not least one can buy own property there for a reasonable price of 200 000 US$.
8. Schools British school in KL monthly costs 500 US $.
9. Stability quite stable backed up by inovation and fleet size of about 60 planes.

All in all why to bother with QR after all? If you found a good reason let me know please. The only reason to stay is A 330 PIC, that's about it.

vivace
22nd Sep 2008, 10:50
Smirnoff N21 aka Popay aka the german guy, heard you flying in Europe now but waiting to join AA. Sounds complicated!

Smirnoff N21
22nd Sep 2008, 20:38
vivace nothing escapes French intelligence ain't it? No in reality I'm on the NASA's payroll preparing myself to replace the next Qatari astronaut. Guess, I've been quite lucky to be able to choose where to join as DEC and it's advantageous to have an alternate. Wouldn't you agree? I'm sure you would. Keep on searching one day you'll find me waving Oryx on the moon.

fogs
22nd Sep 2008, 21:59
Hi guys,

Went for a qatar airways interview last week in London. Just wondered what the usual response time is and whether anyone who attended on the 17th Sept has been invited to the sim assessment?

Lulu qatar
22nd Sep 2008, 22:32
But you did the same . You wentto AA and got DEC on A320 and you would get the same and you are PROMISED in AA maybe A330 in 2 y and you would be PROMISED the same in QA . So whats the difference ? Yea KL is cool and AA is cool but for you was the same you where just step to command . And Smirinof why do you think you deserve A330 they everyone deserve it . So what if you had 6000 h or more there are a lot of them has it ? So what if you have P1 in JAR licence all european pilots has it coz its JAR ATPL like that. They promise you ? Who are they ? Like Cp or Ct promised you ha ha its not up to them and it was done for only few people . Well its starts again upgrades on 330 so maybe you miss the chance coz in Nov again upgrades on A330 ,youre juniors will get it and you will be in low cost in K.Kinabalu earning 29 k while Capt A330 gets 56-58 k in QA .Its ok you where optimistic in QA i remember you bringing youre wife on meeting with CEO and asking questions but we all knew OO he is just new he belive think will get better . If you dont get A330 in AA after 2 y ( maybe there are 60 local pilots who want it and they are 3-7 y in AA ) what will you say ?? AA not good ?

Smirnoff N21
22nd Sep 2008, 22:53
LQ come on give it a break will ya, pls. All this mumbling about what if and speculation of what will be..... What I care about is what happened not what will happen. I can't predict the future but I can derive conclusions from the past. As I said initially the credit must be given however if abused consequences are to be drawn. That's about it nothing more to add. One more thing is choose very carefully who you deal with and that's 50% chance of success. I didn't ask for 330, it's the company and GMFO who came up with official statement in one of flight review, remember? Hence there was an official promise and the previous batch got it, why shouldn't I? Why should I play the game differently? Spare me the crap about 56K in Qatar will ya, cause you pay just 12K for housing and inflation does the rest. Fool yourself if like it's your choice. If the guys do get 330 so be it I wish them best of luck nothing wrong with that. The point however is that uncertainty and unpredictability remains the name of the game. If I don't get what I want I'll act accordantly however AA doesn't have a reputation of being full of sh§t.
As I said there's always a way. So far my instincts didn't let me down.
Don't take it personally take it on the rocks!!!

vivace
23rd Sep 2008, 03:55
Hi Smirnoff,good on you.Like you said,good experience has given you the opportunites,you deserve it!I liked flying with you, best german ive met so far!!

Lulu,dont think QR is comparable to EK/EY in terms of FD quality etc,you are flying for the sediment equivalent of airlines ie the bottom,held in lower regard to the low costs. QR is well known to be made up of the rejects of EY/EK etc. Just remember where you live too, Doha!! Just let it be,these guys left to get an guaranteed position rather than wait their turn in the queue and leave future to fate..a logical decision. Remember,they can still consider ME in the future anyway which means they have more choice. End result better, its market forces and just looking at Smirnoff incredibly hes got 2 DEC jobs at once, now in Europe and later ASia.:ok:

Qatari515
23rd Sep 2008, 09:53
N21,

I understand your optimism and many of your points are correct. However, so typical for someone who has chosen his path, you try to change the picture by adding some negativity to the QR side and adding positivity to the AA side.

This is normal, you are human after all (even after 4 years in QR;))

Lets see.....

1) 5 years minimum towards command upgrade in QR is true/ DEC A320 at AA only for few positions and will not last for ever.

2) Only when just joining QR without TR you will be bonded. All other bonds are gone in QR (fleet transfers and upgrades)

3) Upgrade only on A320 is true and in all honesty, this is the only way to do it! As a new captain you need the practice and exposure you get on an A320 fleet. Training is good and you actually learn something. The guys on A330 where lucky but, and this came from themselves, they never had a good training nor did they have any real life practice so far as a captain. Long stretches, very reliable and new airplanes plus flights to major airports make this one of the most non-challenging seats to be on! A330 upgrades are an ego thing, but thats all! (I took the liberty to keep it simple and without the DEC straight shoot from EMB120 to A330 polemics...that would lead us too far!)

4) MFF is coming in QR. Probably within the 2 years timeframe you are talking about. Whether this is a good idea or not, I have my doubts! MFF has been designed by airbus as a way to sell airplanes within a concept, but unless you know very well what you are doing, it is unsafe and we all know it!

5) Roster stability is an issue in QR, especially on A320!

6) Living conditions. Well, one could argue on that one. Personally I am not keen on living in a major asian city so for me that would not be a big advantage. I found my way in Doha. Yes its dusty, hot and there is not that much to do. But I live in a nice villa, wife and kids like it and when, after about 3 months, we get a bit tired of it we jump on a plane and go somewhere nice! But hey, thats a personal thing and in french they say "les gouts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas! "

7) Savings. I manage to save 20000QR/month in Doha. Thats about 5400USD. And I dont live secluded like Howard Hughes! (Two cars, lots of restaurant visits, two big hollidays a year and a membership in two clubs)

8) Schooling is paid by QR and up to two kids the costs are covered 100%. dont know how this compares to KL, but vivace just said he can not go due to the costs of school not being refunded in AA!

9)Buying property....defenitely better in AA!

10) QR has a world wide network to travel on ( feasable if you plan ahead and know the system) plus interline agreements with e.g. LH. This for me is a huge advantage as I do like the feeling that I can go home whenever I want!

So you see, it all depends where you put your goals and what you really want to do! But one thing I have learned is that people, and certainly pilots, will always try to defend the siutuation they are in themselves! A bit like the 'my airplane is the best' syndrome!

Once more, I am not trying to defend QR cost what cost, as AA might be the best option for certain people anyway. I just try to offer an additional look at the situation by providing facts...

Good luck and all the best!

Smirnoff N21
23rd Sep 2008, 11:47
QR 515, that's fine let's leave it here. It worked out for you to be a suitable deal so be it. The time will prove me right or wrong!!! 330 isn't an ego thing it's cash and life style, at least for me. 320 is definitely a better type to start with and you don't spit on the LHS however if the choice is to be made where to fly 320 I chose lifestyle. Interesting though the opinion of the most senior Cpt. in QR about the diversion. Most of them maintained the opinion of "who ever offers you LHS first is your only friend" Unfortunately QR was fooling around too long and lost the credibility. Anyhow let's see what Dr. time will bring upon us. Best of luck.

vaschandi
23rd Sep 2008, 15:56
Hey boasters, what´s about exchanging your cellnumbers and show off
some more about your cars, bank accounts, club memberships, girls etc?!

Tintin
23rd Sep 2008, 17:53
Hi 515

Can you explain MFF please??

and that one also

[QUOTE]7) Savings. I manage to save 20000QR/month in Doha. Thats about 5400USD. And I dont live secluded like Howard Hughes! (Two cars, lots of restaurant visits, two big hollidays a year and a membership in two clubs)

thanks

a340blue
25th Sep 2008, 07:02
MFF = Mixed Fleet Flying; A330 and A320 together.

GMMD
25th Sep 2008, 07:39
Hello, how are you ? I was also there, and haven´t received any answer yet. I was also wondering how fast/slow they answer to that.

Bye

P.Clostermann
26th Sep 2008, 11:43
It looks like they answer you SLOWLY now, doesnt'it?

:suspect::ugh::suspect:

BizPilotBrazil
26th Sep 2008, 23:39
Hi guys,
I heard something about it.
Anyone know something about this changes???
Thanks for all!

fahlguy
27th Sep 2008, 01:48
Im not sure how much of a change, but was in EWR and you do a tech quiz and crm exercise. They call you in in 20 minute slots. Once you get one on one with the 3 gentlemen they ask a few questions and then you are on your way.Lasts about 7-10 minutes

Does anyone know how long they require you to wait to reapply, know i did not do well on tech test.

skya320
27th Sep 2008, 10:36
As far as I know, there aren't any restrictions on reapplying. It's just the matter of them being interested in calling you over for another interview or not. But if you ask me, you should wait for 3-6 months then reapply

fahlguy I don't think that the process is over. If they invite you back for simulator assessment, then you will be one step closer.

Goodluck :)

MigratoryBird
27th Sep 2008, 22:16
Many slots will be available in the near future when everyone resigns due poor rostering practices, bad treatment by management and general discontent... :yuk:

I guess that all you will need to pass that interview will be a pen! Do you have one?

violet08
28th Sep 2008, 00:34
Went to the interview/presentation in Miami. The invite said that they would have successful candidates fly to Doha next week for the sim. At the interview they explained that they will not be contacting people until the middle of October for the simulator checks in November. I guess they have gotten a better turn out than expected?

sayap-patah
28th Sep 2008, 20:05
just FYI for Qatari515, i flew for Qr for 5 years, then join Air Asia for a year, Now i'm in Etihad (just finished my line training as DEC A 320). I dont know it your statement is correct about..no body will hire captain from AA...???..please correct me if i'm wrong..cheers.

Qatari515
28th Sep 2008, 21:43
Good for you! Congratulations!

But than again .... And with all due respect, Aren't you Malaysian by any chance?

We all know that besides the Germans and Hogans heroes, the Malaysian maffia is well represented in EY so I am not surprised you got in! Some ex Air Asia management is presently at EY, so yes they would take you in!

How exactly would you have done that otherwise ????

You left QR about two years ago to get your command at Air Asia. You flew there for less than a year and yet, EYs requirements are 1000hr PIC on A320!

My bet is you knew the Malaysians in EY, came up with a plan to use AA as a cheap flying school with the guarantee that EY would take you in at the bare bare minimum requirements, and so you did it!

Please, and once again with all due respect, dont use your rather suspicious career path as an example for others!
If I would have been on a standard EY interview board I would be very worried about your possible loyalty and motive to join.( Didnt you jump ship at QR for example?)

But once more, good luck with your career! You where lucky twice allready ( connections + DEC stop at EY), lets hope your luck stays that way!

Black Stain
28th Sep 2008, 23:06
But Sayap-patah's "suspicious career path" is so more honorable than poking your nose up the bosses ass, is it not?

Qatari515
29th Sep 2008, 08:59
I know you dont like my posts here BS, because I do not agree with you all the time!

BOOHOO!

I dont know where you come from mate, but where I was brought up things like jumping ship, manipulating the system, not being loyal etc are being frowned upon heavily!

So even in case your allegations would be correct about me brown nosing ( and boy of boy, this shows you really have no clue), even so I would still consider this the better option!

At least I would not be profitting myself at the expense of others, nor would I be blemishing the name/reputation of a whole group of people of the same nationality!

But hey, opinions are different I guess, and so are principles!

Chacun sa vie! The frogs say :*

davecfm56
30th Sep 2008, 13:24
Hi all, I've been invited to attend Qatar Airways ‘pre-employment assessment’ in the UK. I know this is the first rung on a longish ladder but wondered if anyone who has been through the process can shed some light on what I can expect from the day and the Qatar recruitment process beyond.

I did search pprune but couldn’t find a definitive guide.

Dave.

khnzore
2nd Oct 2008, 05:37
Can anyone tell me that how long it will take to get the interview with QR Airways, after being shortlisted.

viewpoint
2nd Oct 2008, 19:44
Are you asking this because you has been shortlisted or because you are thinking about to join QR ?

khnzore
2nd Oct 2008, 21:04
All of the above.

AFD
4th Oct 2008, 00:06
congratulation
can i ask you some question?
did you file the qatar website application form or did you send the email to HQ?

i know that there should be a pre-employement assesment even in italy this month
do you know anything about it?
what is your date for the meeting in london?
when did you apply to qatar,this is just to know how long did you wait to receive the invite
thank you

sergino909
4th Oct 2008, 01:19
salary very low 4930 usd per month for fo on B777
cost of life and house rent in doha very expensive !!!!!aprox 3000 usd per month for a regular apartments.
loss of licence only 100,000 usd after line check, no kiddin!!!
hour flight pay is flat at 24 usd per hour from 1 to infinite
no mimimun flight time guarantee they say the avg are 70 h
no pension scheme:*:=
very poor medical and insurance coverage
no time away from base:*
meal allowances adjusted to the local currency where you are laying over
accomodations mostly are old not well furnished
no tour around the city of doha is arranged by qatar airways, you are on your own, go for it!!!:=:=:=
This airline with some changes con be the best but so far is the worst go to emirates or etihad lots of people are resigning every month to better places:D

NoJoke
4th Oct 2008, 01:53
I appreciate your sentiments but those were not the questions. I would however add, you are totally right.

loc22550
4th Oct 2008, 04:43
Sergi let me "correct" nr 9:
9. i think meal allowance has NEVER been really "adjusted" to the local currency expecially for europe layover after the huge devaluation of the riyal v/s euro the last ..4..5 years(-40%..).(allowances paid in riyal).

loc22550
4th Oct 2008, 10:29
Yes. Basic salary F/O new joiners: 18000 QR (1U$=3.65 QR).

Rocco Stiffreddy
4th Oct 2008, 11:04
Is that salary estimate for real? I could drive a bus back home for that...:(

loc22550
4th Oct 2008, 13:04
EPR:
Indeed you are paid for the scheduled block time.

bump
5th Oct 2008, 00:28
Great question. I got told I was shortlisted about 3 months ago and have not heard a word.:ugh:

sunking
5th Oct 2008, 04:10
Same here, Shortlisted for 777 DEC about 3 months ago and not a word since.

EGGW
5th Oct 2008, 06:07
Enough threads on related subjects, with regards to Qatar Airways recruitment.

Use the current ones running, or they get binned..... :ugh:

EGGW

felo747
5th Oct 2008, 23:03
Hi Ali hope is weel for u in Qatar now, I get an interview this month, can u tell me about the INTERVIEW questions and also about simulator and finally what about english test?

Apprecciate ur help
thanks

P.Clostermann
6th Oct 2008, 08:46
Please forgive me my sarcasm, but I am glad you asked about the English test!

Maybe you should start working on that one first....:cool:

Mr Ho
6th Oct 2008, 11:26
QTR515 ignor this black snake, is evil man. Keep doing all good thing graet cheif say and we be happy. reward verry good, vaseline cheep and pain get easy evry day. Soon not ever tink about it :8

Black Stain
7th Oct 2008, 02:56
Criticism from an illiterate fool Mr Ho is a commendation I will treasure.

Black Stain
7th Oct 2008, 03:22
You are becoming a noisy seagull 515.

Loyalty? Loyalty to profession? Loyalty to peers? Loyalty to thy master? Loyalty can twist with time without you even realizing. Did Goering regret his loyalty at Nuremberg?

I didn't jump ship, but I thought about it. I gave three months notice and paid the bond even though I had not signed when trained. Why did I pay? The GMFO asked with a "please"; good manners earns respect. And as he said, "they will just take it from you anyway".

In almost every respect Goat Management are nasty, and the response on this forum merely reflects that. The age of hidden exploitation is over. I do not know of a single compatriot considering The Goat. If one does turn up then he has missed out on EK and EY, so be kind to the poor fellow.

And have you ever considered 515 that your peers see exactly opposite what you see in the mirror? Ponder that on several levels.

etops777
7th Oct 2008, 05:34
A friend missed out on EK 2 years ago for an FO position but he is now an 320 DEC with QR.

This is directly from him that he would take an FO slot with EK than a Capt position with QR anyday.

Ronaldo 330
7th Oct 2008, 06:11
Qatari 515 what are you talking about ? Jump ship and not being loyal and manipulationg the system ??? maybe you have desert flu !
Who is manipulation system ?? Rostering with rules like climatazed and unclimatazed in India , new bond system its ok for new but bad for seniors , B.W and I.M can jump DEC to A330 but want to stop transferes as it cost money , CEO who press his own capt top brake the rules of part A by forcing crew to fly with knife in cabin , terminations without valid reasons , you have to report fit by 20 h for next day as if you are Dr , senior Capt cant get villa becaouse CEO told him to add money but new Capt gets it , people get failed on intervew for not knowing why the sky is blue , that ACN has more restriction then Alcatraz .
Yea its not fair to jump ship tell me about it !!!!
O dont forget if you be fair and resign youre salary is frozen for 3 months and you cant leave desert on off days . Qatari 515 is that normal in place where you come from ?becaouse if it is then i understand why you like Q.A . ha ha :D

Two Dogs....
7th Oct 2008, 10:23
Qatari515 thats a bit irresponsible to tell people to expect to save $5400pm :( The only way a married couple could do that is if they have two incomes, no kids, and live in accommodation that costs only half what the company gives them. How many villas are out there now for under 6000pm?:( Why are you selling so hard such miss-leading stories? :\

Rocco Stiffreddy
7th Oct 2008, 11:03
I have to ask; who or what is the "king of katamites"? you guys refer to. (I'm guessing QA CEO). Does anyone know what that's about?:confused:. It seems he's pretty unpopular on these forums, why is that?

felo747
7th Oct 2008, 19:35
is there somebody who has attended the interview recently and can give me some information?

thanks

felo747
7th Oct 2008, 19:48
what do you mean?

loc22550
8th Oct 2008, 02:28
Talking about Jump ship Renaldo.. recently 2 cabin crew jump ship together out of Vienna....flight came back with minimum crew!
Sure in the office they are still wondering why...?:\
What to do, what to do....

shneidertrophy
8th Oct 2008, 16:17
QR515 might be a bit naive but I have to say that his principles are noble and respectable. If or if not they should be applied to Qatar Airways is another question....

QR515, ask yourself the question: How good is loyalty when it only comes from one party involved?

QR is probably the only company in the world where you can do a jump-ship, get away with it while being hired by another reputable company. QR's reputation is well known all over the world of aviation...

With regards to the savings: 515 has been here lets asume since 2003 (date he became member of pprune). That means he is coming close to 6 years seniority in QR and he was able to get a lease contract before the huge hike in rental prices. He can very well be living in a 6000QR/month villa!

He claims to be a captain on A330, so his salary easily reaches 57000QR/month (remember, his basic is around 5000QR more than a DEC).
Substract from this 7000 housing, 3000 car, 1000 mobile phone, 6000 monthly living, 2000/month for his club memberships, expenses for wife and kids etc and he might be saving around 25000QR/month!

So it is possible for him, but not possible for a new joining pilot!

QR 515, compare apples with apples please... your situation is different to that from a new joiner , purely based on seniority!

I think your intentions are good and well meant, but please stick to your own adagio: Only tell the truth!

FaFa
8th Oct 2008, 19:15
Dear My friends

Working in Qatar Airways as a pilot is like dream for me and i LOVE this airways alot but i have a question :

- I'm Iranian and due to bad advertising against Iran and Iranian,as i know working in foreign countries and especially in Persian Gulf countries is very difficult and they reject the Iranian CV.

Is this true or not ?

I try to working there one day but please guide me how can i do this ???

Thanks

Smirnoff N21
8th Oct 2008, 19:27
QR 515 is a trustworthy guy and 20K is realistic number provided the conditions described by schneiderthrophy are met. The only problem is it remains 20K throughout years despite rising seniority. Savings are the same as they were 5 years ago despite almost double salary, I'm afraid.
Fafa as far as I'm concerned QR judges your performance and I've flown with some Iranians in QR. I only have good memories about those guys. True professionals and great aviators. My best regards to them.

loc22550
8th Oct 2008, 20:59
Fafa,Salam.. i don't see any reason for qatar to reject your iranian passport.
Indeed i wish we could have some more iranians here..:ok:
Good luck.

NoJoke
8th Oct 2008, 21:43
Dear Loc,

It is a sign of the times but your PO box is on the way out. Without any replacement by the way.:\

Mister Geezer
9th Oct 2008, 00:30
Does anyone know what the bond is at Qatar??? I am considering using them as a way of building up some Airbus time and then leaving when the industry is back on its feet here in Europe.

Qatari515
9th Oct 2008, 15:38
BS,

Thanks for looking out for my reputation but I dont think I need your help, thanks!

I did not say you jumped ship, S-P jumped ship!

Shneidertrophy, I do admit, I have been here much longer than most people so my situation indeed is slighthly different. Point taken...

I just can not stand the single-sightedness of most people here when it comes down to thrashing QR. I said it before and I will say it again: QR is not perfect and lots of work remains to be done, but its not the HELL-HOLE so many posters here are trying to make it look like!

I asked myself that Question of yours many times mate, and every time again I come to the same conclusion. I will stick to my principles and I will NOT lower myself to the below-the belt techniques QR is using. So I will stay true to what I believe in and Jumping ship is just not part of my beliefs!

Ronaldo 330, most of the things you are saying is true, especially regarding the company! Bravo!
Dont agree with your personal remarks though, but thats my prerogative isnt it?

Regarding resignation":
Your salary, when you resign, is only frozen in case you have outstanding debts with the bank. Your credit cards will be stopped 45 days before your last day of work. You can leave the country as long as you have a multiple exit permit. Just book your ID 90 tickets before you submit your letter!

Where I come from has nothing to do with all this but all these practices where as strange and unacceptable to me as they are to you! But once you know your way around these dark-aged practices it is NOT difficult to fool the system!

:ok:

JungleJett
9th Oct 2008, 16:28
So you DO fool the system......a rather immoral attitude...tss tsss tssss I am very disappointed in you 515....
:)
Oh and before you write a looooong essai on morality or whatever....it's a joke!

Qatari515
9th Oct 2008, 17:38
Maybe your obviously limited inteligence does not allow you to see the difference between an act like jumping ship (hereby cheating a company that IS still providing a living for you and your family/hereby breaching your contract and braking the law,

and something like fooling the system by just being smarter without damaging yourself or anybody else and keeping your obligations at the same time!...

Sad for you!:ugh:

everybody is responsible for his own actions in life...Do whatever you want, I am in no position to tell anybody else what/what not to do!

But "what goes around comes around" is still very much valid in our little professional environment!

Mr Ho
9th Oct 2008, 23:28
Is tru what go round come round. You and Ho proof catamite king reward all good pilot :8

Why not yu other not do as told?

Rocco Stiffreddy
10th Oct 2008, 03:06
Gottcha, so who is the Catamite? Hopefully not jube FOs...

loc22550
10th Oct 2008, 07:17
??Qatari 515,

Please keep your lesson of loyalty for yourself, and instead of blaming the people who jumpship (telling it's not legal, or they are "braking" the law...:hmm:), lets ask a clever question: WHY do people "jumpship".....???
Sure most of them they wouldn't never have done such a think in a "normal" circumstance.

LOC.

Mr Ho
10th Oct 2008, 11:56
Goat Airway is Graet King Katamite own airine. He graet man, known all thing, known how fly too, he like Don Trump of dessert. All luv Katamite King for fair judge and good reward for do good thing :8

Qatari515
10th Oct 2008, 13:47
LOC,

I have probably more reasons to be upset with QR than anyone else on this forum! A low seniority number means more years of abuse as well you know. We all have our reasons, we all have been lied to...

So please, dont tell me what or what not to write here!

Its the old story of the two buckets. One is filling up with cash, the other one is filling up with ****. As soon as one bucket spills over, one has to leave!

I thought about leaving many times in the past...But NEVER EVER I considered jumping ship mate!

But hey, I give up with this tread! I am not interested in a personal pissing contest so thats it for me!

I wish you guys all the best and I hope you find that greener grass on the other side!:D

Answer: because the **** underneath its feeding on!

Lulu qatar
10th Oct 2008, 18:11
Qatari515 if you get hit in face on street for no reason do you fight back or you step back and complain to police ? ?
its a same sh... t with QA if they give you sh...t you give them sh...t by jumps ship and best way is do it when outstation so no F/o to operate back .

sayap-patah
12th Oct 2008, 13:41
dear Qatari515,
happy eid al fitri, as i mention to you before, i was 5 years with QR, i was joining QR at 2002 ( beginning '03), my staff number start with 4, if you already there at those time, i'm sure you know that there is no malaysian at that time in QR, i'm sure you do remember we are able to send text msg (SMS) via our mobile phone at july '03, and there's only 4 internet cafe in Doha at that time. Please don't judge people's skill and ability from whre they are coming from ( either company or nationality ), i have no connection with Malaysian mafia that you mention, its just Abu dhabi is close to home for me (just 6 hours flight to home instead 11 hour from KL )even its far for my indonesian wife, buts she's ok. In AA there are a lot of ex Qr pilots now ( 13 pilots ), three of them now even a TRI, and flying both A 330 and 320. Before i left, 9 Qr pilots, 2EY, and 1 Auh amiri pilot are in progress to join AA. Have a nice wonderful day in Qatar..emmm i mean Doha..ehhmmm...:ugh:

Rocco Stiffreddy
13th Oct 2008, 07:33
I've been reading through a lot of the posted threads and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on the following;
1. Why is CEO Akbar Baker so unpopular on this forum? (Is he evil)?
2. Why is Doha Radar so F$*ked up?
3. Are any of your wives happy living in Qatar? (I know many aren't).
4. Is there a reasonable future for a Jube FO at QA? Seems like QA is where pilots go to die, like an elephant graveyard...

Any input would be great as for me QA is about to go on the backburner...
:ugh:

FlyingCroc
13th Oct 2008, 10:18
are so interested in QR after reading all these posts? In the Gulf try:

1) Emirates
2) Etihad
3) Gulf
4) QR

Then you have also Air Arabia, Fly Dubai, Kuwait Airwys, Jazeera and Bahrain.

Good luck

loc22550
14th Oct 2008, 09:46
And soon a new low cost company in Doha..With MR A.J..!

Two Dogs....
14th Oct 2008, 23:56
Goat should be your last resort Rocco. If you dont get DEC, command for you will then take 6-8 years. But if you want a different wife then bring the wife you dont like to Doha :}

sayap-patah
15th Oct 2008, 01:29
dear Qatari515,
happy eid al fitri, as i mention to you before, i was 5 years with QR, i was joining QR at 2002 ( beginning '03), my staff number start with 4, if you already there at those time, i'm sure you know that there is no malaysian at that time in QR, i'm sure you do remember we are able to send text msg (SMS) via our mobile phone at july '03, and there's only 4 internet cafe in Doha at that time. Please don't judge people's skill and ability from whre they are coming from ( either company or nationality ), i have no connection with Malaysian mafia that you mention, its just Abu dhabi is close to home for me (just 6 hours flight to home instead 11 hour from KL )even its far for my indonesian wife, buts she's ok. In AA there are a lot of ex Qr pilots now ( 13 pilots ), three of them now even a TRI, and flying both A 330 and 320. Before i left, 9 Qr pilots, 2EY, and 1 Auh amiri pilot are in progress to join AA. Have a nice wonderful day in Qatar..emmm i mean Doha..ehhmmm...:ugh:

ninja
19th Oct 2008, 22:53
To all those working for QA on the B777, please can you give me details of a typical roster pattern. I'd like to know how many days you get off, if they are in short or long blocks, average hours, how many sectors a month, how long you get on layovers, etc. Also, is it possible/has anyone done this, to live in dubai and commute.

Much appreciated.

AirbusMaster
20th Oct 2008, 15:04
I will start my reply stating a fact: 777 fleet have no roster "yet".
QA just received 3 planes, large number of training flights, so minimum flights for released crew.

The roster will take a shape eventually; your guess is as good as mine at this stage.

The second point: you want to commute from DXB to DOH?
You must be working for a "normal" airline!

Try to get onboard with ID 90 on QA!! it is a disaster, even with "previously confirmed" annual leave tickets...people were offloaded while the clear print on the ticket said: DO NOT OFFLOAD.

What kind of roster do you expect? you are actually hoping for many days off??? you might get them while in a layover!

When the 777 will work in full force, I expect you to have no time to travel anywhere except in your annual leave.

Ask the 330 crew how it was when they were short of crew? I think it will be the same.

loc22550
20th Oct 2008, 16:28
:confused:
Ninja, Why do you want to fly 777 in qatar and live in Dubai..?
Just apply to Emirates ,it will make your live easier...!:rolleyes:

Capt Krunch
20th Oct 2008, 17:00
I guess it can’t be helped that we commonly hear from the naive gallery.

Well for all that want to know… NO you cannot commute in Qatar Airways.. if we could don’t you think that all of us, well most of us would be doing that ?

The rosters are tough no matter the fleet, they are tough.. you work hard, Max hours min days off and sometimes you can be given some of your 8 days off per month while down route on layover. Heavy long haul, back of the clock, back to back, east west flying. (Not applicable to 320 fleet but then again they have their own problems as well)

ID 90 travel to hard to do as loads are full and staff are not helpful or sympathetic to your own personal needs.. ( in other words, no one can give a crap about you or your needs )

Living here is expensive. Over the years I have gotten used to it and can’t be bothered complaining about it.. it’s ok either that or I’m just jaded. But some days.. man o man, good thing it’s not legal to own a gun… then again, on those days.. happiness is V2 out of Doha.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

Two Dogs....
21st Oct 2008, 14:12
Roster Vs Lifestyle? I just dont understand the question Ninja? At Goat Airways staff exist to work, nothing else matters :rolleyes:

ninja
21st Oct 2008, 19:24
Guys, thanks for your words of wisdom. Sounds like every fleet has its issues. Commuting from dubai was just a thought, seeing as its a very short flight away, but from the responses i'm getting it appears that staff travel is unreliable at the best of times. Is Qatar Airways really that busy on all its flights? I was hoping to use ID90 on a regular basis to go to dubai and london but I still dont know how many days off you guys get in a block on average in doha. Another thing I cant understand is if these 777's are being used for long haul, where your doing more than 10 hours per sector, it doesnt take many sectors before you've done your max time for the month so you must have quite a few days off. Am i missing something?

Please do give me as much feedback as you can, both negative and if possible, the positives aswell.

fatbus
22nd Oct 2008, 03:06
You see the 777 in DXB, the mid east airlines like to own you and come up with everyway poss to give you min days off. To them you are just a labourer

loc22550
22nd Oct 2008, 03:35
Well Ninja honestly, i don't think travelling to DXB is a big issue with a ID90 ticket..,(7 flights/day with QR, and you can use the ticket as well on Emirates :3 flights/day so..).Have done it so many time..like a lot of people, who wants to flee Doha asap:} as soon as they have a couple of days off...
Off course if you are a Wealthy man you can always buy a property there to spend your days off...:).

-For the rest as said: NO commuting in QR:{
-Lifestyle and roster..Well who can predict what's gone be a typical 777 roster within the next 6 months..: nobody.(true for other fleets as well).
Between the people who resign,jumpship or put in jail for being caught under the influence of alcohol before a flight...Roster team have tought time in Qatar airways...!:ugh:

violet08
22nd Oct 2008, 21:56
I think Vivace makes a good point. There are countries that are on the verge of bankruptcy; economic markets are failing. Just look at Iceland.

Who will protect the pilots at the bottom of the seniority lists should the loads drop off and the companies decide to reduce the number of flights, as has happened in the US? Will they just say, "sorry, we don't need you" and you'll have to pack up the family and move back home?

:(Oh, what has happened to our industry?

Qatari515
22nd Oct 2008, 22:20
Euhh Violet, maybe you havent noticed all this before but this has been happening for at least the last 20 years, depending which part of the world you are from.

airmemphis
24th Oct 2008, 07:45
The fourth B777 arrives in DOH today. Just in time for 1st JFK this Sunday.

kknudsen2
24th Oct 2008, 11:01
FlightAware > Live Flight Tracker > Qatar Airways Company #3052 (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/QTR3052)

tcas II
25th Oct 2008, 08:38
it furnished but they are all piece of junk, cheap sxxt from China:(

Rivera
25th Oct 2008, 08:55
I dont know in Qatar, I remember the days when EK had furniture from Denmark, I wonder If they still have same high standards

KRUGERFLAP
25th Oct 2008, 10:17
Those days are long gone bro. Anywhere in the middle east you will find furnished acomodation with chinese made furniture.And some are not that bad as our fellow said. And even if you go out to buy by yourself u gonna find that close to 80% of furniture available to buy still come from China but with huge difference on price if you go to Ghanzou and by direct from the factory! A lot of people are doing it.Share a container and do it if you are planning to stay for long. You gonna find good quality ,i was amazed when i went there to take a look at the factory showroom.

Hajj Man
25th Oct 2008, 17:26
Ninja,

You are correct with the long haul flights and getting your time in for the month in a few flights but here at QR we will put you on XTBN, TBN or STBY for the rest of the days in the roster.
NOT ALLOWED to give you more than the allocated time off per month.

SpamCanDriver,

Furnished and it is ok and comfortable.

NineInchSnail
19th Nov 2008, 18:22
Hi Folks,

I know they focus on the 777 now, but anybody knows if QR will run a newhire airbus class soon?

Thanks

KRUGERFLAP
19th Nov 2008, 18:36
For sure my friend. People left and are leaving as we speak.

captseth
19th Nov 2008, 19:45
I can't get the flight deck app on the website working? Any tips?

vaschandi
20th Nov 2008, 01:07
Hi captseth!

Could you please specify your problem with the webpage.

If you press direct the jobsearch function, there will be nothing listed
under FLIGHTDECK, but you can still apply!

Please try it again, click the link below and you should have direct
access to LOGIN your account.

Or you create a new one, just click NEW USER.

The application form should be available now.

Qatar Airways needs pilots on ALL fleets.

Good luck to you!

Flight Deck Crew Job Search | Qatar Airways (http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/jobs/hr_flightcrew_applynow.html)

Still problems?
Waiting for your feedback!

vaschandi
20th Nov 2008, 01:19
Hi,

me again!

Ignore all the numbers and click on ??102232 field. (upper right)

You will be guided to the LOGIN function.

Page should be fixed soon!:)

captseth
20th Nov 2008, 01:31
Thanks, I'll try it asap.

S

captseth
20th Nov 2008, 01:39
OK, I got in, but....

There are some serious coding issues that are rendering the registration process impossible. For example, here are the choices for "job level:"

??263563
??263406

Etc...

The whole job site appears to require some maintenance, unless perhaps they are not accepting new applications at this time.

vaschandi
20th Nov 2008, 02:21
Applications are accepted and appreciated!

Obviously, somebody hamper you guys from applying!

The site seems to have a fail safe protection against hackers!
I will try to phone the IT Dep today to get more information.

Sorry, that I can`t help you now!

hoover1
20th Nov 2008, 04:01
i filled out the application and was invited to fill out another and provide copies of licesne, medical,etc. it has been a month and have not heard anything. not even that they have recieved it. i have sent several other messages asking if the have recieved. is this normal or did i get lost.

JungleJett
20th Nov 2008, 04:14
No unfortunately this is normal procedure as per QR......chaos.
Keep in mind that once hired regardless of the fact if you are type rated or not it will take anywhere between 4 to 6 months to be released on line.
Bureaucracy and incompetence run very high.
Indian heritage.....

Capt Krunch
20th Nov 2008, 07:58
JungleJett

by my experience it is normal for a large international airline ( JAL, KAL, CX, EK and the like) to take anywhere from 3 to 6 months to be released to the line regardsless of experience. many of my type rated collegues at the above mentioned airlines took a similar amount of time.. sometimes it's training congestion and sometimes not.. but normal none the less.

it's not a race anyway..is it ? QA your paid while you wait, so not a problem. is it?

poisoned by compromise
Krunch

JungleJett
20th Nov 2008, 14:21
Capt. K,
Nothing justifies that long of a time to finish the training. It is absolutely not normal to be hired and on the company's pay roll and then get a whole month of TBN(To Be Notified) on your roster.
With a little bit of common sense and organisation, the whole thing can be done in 2 months max.

captseth
20th Nov 2008, 18:26
Vaschandi -

Thank you for your help, I believe I've gotten about 95% of the information sent, and I've emailed a few addresses.

S.

Radar Contact
20th Nov 2008, 18:44
Hey guys,

Any news about a QR S/O Prog again?

BizPilotBrazil
20th Nov 2008, 22:05
I was shortlisted on August and still waiting... :(

khnzore
21st Nov 2008, 06:30
I was shortlisted for a DEC position in August, and still waiting. I wonder, if they run any interviews now.

AFD
21st Nov 2008, 20:51
Hello everybody
i've been invited to attend simulator screening assesment in doha for qatar airways pilot selection on next monday
the assesment will be on A320 simulator,a plane where i flew almost 5000 hours in my present company.
so my question is not about the airplane or airbus handling technique,i just would like to ask if there's somebody knowing the assesment scenario;wich kind of failure i have to expect during the 4 hours session
I've been coupled to a non rated pilot,and so this is one of the reason i'm worried about
how can i think to fly a multi-pilot airplane,with somebody on my left hand side not knowing what i'm asking him or what i need,regard to the use of autopilot,fmgs,and all the other action on the plane?
i hope that somebody here knows qatar assesment scenario,because he did it before me,any suggestion would be really appreciated
thank you
afd

slam dunk 4
21st Nov 2008, 22:48
hi my friend,

I was in doha november 2007. had a 2 day selection there. first day paper pencil stuff and interview. passed that day and was invited the next day for the sim. a320 as well. we had a cool checker who changed the assinged profile for that day. i mean we received briefing douments home, but at the sim day he changed the whole procedure.

we all flew one visual traffic pattern with a landing. followed by a t/o with engine failure. use of a/t and a/p was allowed. as well a visual pattern. go arround and full stop landing.

we all were non airbus rated pilots. 1 md11, 1b737 and one cool atr72 guy. as far as i know, only the atr72 guy made it.

you as a rated will most probably fly with rated guys. just stick to your own procedures! a very imported thing is, to be esteblished at 1000feet. config. and checklist completed!!!

the rest is easy! they need a lot of people. since you are rated you will have no problems to handle the sim!

The only problem might be your personal behaviour and your attitude!

ciao

AFD
22nd Nov 2008, 06:57
hy men
at the moment i'm coupled with a non rated pilot for the simulator assesment,he is italian,like me,and he cames from the same company,i think we will discuss during the flight to doha,about everything just to be in accordance and in order to make him aware of some airbus procedure
we've already passed the first interview screening,because qatar airways staff came to rome last month
thank you for your suggestion
afd

Wango Z Tango
22nd Nov 2008, 07:29
Dont worry about it so much man, the company knows your partner is non rated therefore his mistakes will not hold any points against you. But CRM will be watched closely as well as general handleing.. remember we have more than 80 different nationalities here, you must always be able to find a way to make things work.
there will be not tricks and non realistic senarios.

happiness is V2
WzT

skya320
22nd Nov 2008, 09:04
Joining A320 fleet huh? If you have other offer, then you should consider it. A320 fleet at QR is not the best (Compare to other fleet here, we have the worst roster) ex. 80 block hrs with 150 duty hrs :ugh:

AirbusMaster
22nd Nov 2008, 09:39
Shortage of 320 crew causes such a hard roster, when they hire more crew roster will be better.
Also hopefully the management will re-consider the fleet transfer policy once they have enough 320 pilots.

loc22550
22nd Nov 2008, 09:56
The only fleet wich need crew asap is 320!(expecially cpt)

KRUGERFLAP
22nd Nov 2008, 11:41
So Upgrade now!
And upgrade guys with in the company .Why not. Put all together and start assessments for upgrade 5-4-3-2-1 yrs with the company. Give preference for guys who were captains before maybe.Do something ,but don't hire DECs because QR dont need them now.and the time for upgrade guys current flying A330 or A320 as FO will be faster.

Why hire Decs who gonna be unable to bare with the place? As captain is hard to bare with.As first officer terrible,but at least the guy has a dream to upgrade and he gonna stay for while.

T-6
22nd Nov 2008, 11:48
Hi,

Please could you tell me where can I apply for Qatar??

KRUGERFLAP
22nd Nov 2008, 12:00
[email protected]

skya320
23rd Nov 2008, 16:49
All fleet recruitment use the same email address
http://www.pprune.org/?emailimage=3285e2285f441801589bd6cf10d507a4

or you can visit www.qatarairways.com (http://www.qatarairways.com)
but I think that the deck crew hiring page is not working properly at the moment.

skya320
23rd Nov 2008, 16:57
"Shortage of 320 crew causes such a hard roster, when they hire more crew roster will be better.
Also hopefully the management will re-consider the fleet transfer policy once they have enough 320 pilots."

The company can't catch up the the rate of pilots leaving the company (A320 fleet), so we will never have enough pilots on A320 fleet. Management knows those problems, but they are not willing to fix it or willing to compensate.

FYI: A320 fleet has this kind of roster for years, not just recently.

:ok: Totally agreed with KRUGERFLAP! upgrade within the company is much better than hiring DEC. Atleast people will tend to stick around more since they have been putting up with this kind of roster:D:D

tangalanga
26th Nov 2008, 05:33
Dear friends.
I will have my sim ride with these guys next month, December, in Doha.
I am a Captain in a BE1900, but the sim will be in an A330!!!!!!!:eek:
Of course I’m not that confident since is a big change. From a raw data, no autopilot, 17120 MTOW turbo prop., to this fly by wire, joystick glass cockpit, etc monster. Will see what happen.:confused:
My question is if anybody that was interview in the USA like I did, went to the sim in Doha. If yes…Did you get an otter written test like the one they did in the US? Is there an oral test? Or just the simulator assessment? How they expect people like me to perform, I never flew anything above 18000 pounds, or glass cockpit? Will they have some consideration or is Cathay Pacific style?
Thank you for the information!!!!!!!!!!:ok:

tangalanga
26th Nov 2008, 05:36
Dear friends.
I will have my sim ride with these guys next month, December, in Doha.
I am a Captain in a BE1900, but the sim will be in an A330!!!!!!!:eek:
Of course I’m not that confident since is a big change. From a raw data, no autopilot, 17120 MTOW turbo prop., to this fly by wire, joystick glass cockpit, etc monster. Will see what happen.:confused:
My question is if anybody that was interview in the USA like I did, went to the sim in Doha. If yes…Did you get an otter written test like the one they did in the US? Is there an oral test? Or just the simulator assessment? How they expect people like me to perform, I never flew anything above 18000 pounds, or glass cockpit? Will they have some consideration or is Cathay Pacific style?
Thank you for the information!!!!!!!!!!:)

KRUGERFLAP
26th Nov 2008, 06:14
Relax ! The worst part is after you join and sign the USD 50000 bond and live in :mad: Doha.Your sim will be fine and no question asked. Just the assessment.

Enjoy!

skya320
26th Nov 2008, 09:06
Focus on your CRM, Task sharing, and Airmanship.
They will not expect you to know Airbus procedures!
Goodluck! :)

It must be nice to jump from B1900 to A330
Some other pilots that has more experience with jet time and glass cockpit are stuck on A320.
Does management look at your qualification and experience before assigning you to a fleet? The answer is NO:eek: :ugh:

UKRIM
26th Nov 2008, 09:35
I have been applying for QA for a long time now, and finaly when they informed me that I had been short listed and am in the holding poolfor God knows how long.

I heard there is a new HR team now, anyone with any Ideas whos replaced A.R. and what are his contact details.

Any help Highly appreciated

Just another desperate driver, seriously in need of a permanent Job :ugh:

Tintin
26th Nov 2008, 10:45
The only way to get in is to be or have been an old member of political party who have been involve with abuse of human right.

Have you???:O

MU2B
26th Nov 2008, 10:51
Skya320 is right!
I've sent to you a PM with more details..

Good Look

JungleJett
26th Nov 2008, 10:52
Hey Milou,

What kind of idiotic reply is this? The guy says he is desperate and in need of a job. Don't be a moron and have some compassion.

loc22550
26th Nov 2008, 11:22
We need CPT on 320 not 330....!
Please join us on 320...!:eek:

NineInchSnail
26th Nov 2008, 14:54
You just have to do the sim assesment. You will be in Doha for only 2 days.

If you really want the job I would advise you to rent a couple of hours in the 320 (pretty much same handling and same cockpit as the 330) just to give you an idea of what it is to fly the sidestick and get afeel of the autotrim function.

As far as procedures, the instructors are pretty good in giving you a good briefing and guiding you during the assesment.

I did mine on the 777 and had never flown it before

Good luck

UKRIM
26th Nov 2008, 16:27
Tintin,

Thanks for the honest reply, If had been a member of that political party, I would probably be on the other side of the equation !

I am very well aware of what is happening there. But I am not a chooser at this point unfortunately.

Once again any info highly appreciated.

Tintin
26th Nov 2008, 18:24
Jokes apart, UKRIM i don't know I wish I could help, honestly I think they need more guys like you.

Ask junglejet, considering is reaction I think he can help you:ugh:

Hajj Man
26th Nov 2008, 19:26
Tangalanga,

did you ever fly a jet?

tangalanga
26th Nov 2008, 20:47
Thank you for the info. I want the job, but I am totally broke, it is no way that I can rent a 320 sim for a few hours. :rolleyes:

Yes, I have about 1000hs in Learjet, but that was 2 years ago. I am currently flying a turbo prop, BE1900, is raw data and not autopilot, so my concerns are coming from the big change that will be the test in the 330. I never flew side stick, or EDU with speed tapes or nothing even close to the size of the 330; turbo prop last 2 years, and the light jet 2 years ago.

tangalanga
26th Nov 2008, 21:02
That’s correct. Just the sim will be in the 330, it was going to be in the 777 before.
I never said that they offered me the 330, I hope they will.:O
If I pass the sim I will let you know in what fleet the put me.
I’m being riding all the posts about Qatar, al the bad things that people are saying and I understand all that very clear.
But for me, (flaying a BE1900; $1200 a month; just downgrade from Captain to First Officer because company furloughs) this is the best that can happen.
I feel sorry for those that after many years in the dessert are unable to have a dissent quality of life, or were foolish by the company. I wish you all the best.:D
Thank you.

KRUGERFLAP
26th Nov 2008, 21:50
We wish you the same bro!

Come to qatar get your type rating and move to the neighbours (Air Arabia,Etihad,so on)

Crazy PDF
27th Nov 2008, 04:06
I understand no hiring is been done until early next year.

Capt Krunch
27th Nov 2008, 04:14
Yes thats correct. CrazyPDF

it has been said that the hiring is stopped until sometime in the late quarter of 2009. they have enough people in the proverbial ‘hire pool’ to fill the requirements for the time being.
Having said that, anyone with the "come see us" letter or “come to Sim” letter is still scheduled to come.. but no new hiring going on for the time being.:=

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

UKRIM
27th Nov 2008, 06:34
Thanks Guys,

That sorts the waiting bit at least.

So in this case those in the holding pool will have to wait until they restart hiring again ? or is it that they will be called for assesment sometimes early next year ?

Anyone from Managment on this forum ? who can shed some more light.

Once again thanks for all the feed back, Much appreciated

Direct UKRIM !

hans37pilot
27th Nov 2008, 06:54
so capt crunch your telling us living on the street is better than working in qatar

Capt Krunch
27th Nov 2008, 19:57
UKRIM

if things stay the way they are at present.. the folks in the hire pool will be the ones going on courses at a steady pace.. there seems to be a fair amount of candidates for the time being, seemingly enough to fill the void for now. But remember this is not written in stone, and things can, will, and do change here by the sweep of the second hand on the clock not the calender.

pity if you have a digital clock.:}

sorry hans37, I've no idea what you mean. I did not convey that type of information in my last post.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

UKRIM
28th Nov 2008, 17:01
Hey Krunch,

Thanks Man, That gives me some kind of light of hope in the far end.

We'll just wait and see.

Cheers

BritishGuy
22nd Dec 2008, 05:33
Hi - I have a quick question. I have looked on the QR website about applying to them for an F/O position. Firstly I have 2900 TT, 1500 Turbine and about 250 Jet PIC. Am a current RJ Captain in the US. Would I stand a chance of being competitive for a F/O position with them?

Secondly, would I stand a better chance at a 777 F/O position or a A-320 F/O position. I checked on their website and both requirements seemed to be worded a little differently and was wondering which position I'd have a better chance at (if any!)?

Also - I know there are many that would advise against going to QR - but with RJ time only, I need a foot in the Airbus/Boeing world somehow.

Thanks for all the helpful replies in advance.

Capt Krunch
22nd Dec 2008, 06:04
BritishGuy:

well your experience is a bit low based on the fact that there is now a flood of experienced guys on the market, but you would still qualify for a position here at QA.
as a F/O applicant with no previous type experience, if your succesful in the assesment you will be placed on a aircraft that has a empty seat. A320, A330, B777. it al depends on were you'll be most needed at the time.

the experience you'll gain here a a F/O is very valuable, it's a very diverse and good flying ( not so much on the A320, but still ok). you can read all the posts about this place yourself, so you know what kind of sticky mess your getting into.

think long and hard, and if you decide to come, then come with a very open mind, and expect things to change from what you were told, and then change again.
it's just the way it is.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

AirbusMaster
22nd Dec 2008, 06:12
Check the link below, I copied the info from that page:

Most likely you will be selected for the 320 fleet, but as previously mentioned, it depends on the time of joining and the fleet demand.

http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/348005-british-help-british-q-9.html

by loc22550
F/O infos:

1)monthly flight time....70....hours/Duty time....130...hours
(you are paid for the flight time (schedule block time)not the duty time.
Unstable roster&expect a lot of change&days off cancelled and postponed without asking you or advising you before:But this is something normal in Qatar Airways, as there is no consideration for crew and their private live.

2)layover..3..4.../month(most of them around 24 hours layover).
320's layovers: Calicut,Chennai,Trivandrum,Kathmandu,Colombo,Dar es salam, Nairobi,Seychelles, Berlin,Stockolm,Vienna, (Geneva from january?),Maldives.

3)As an F/O you will be entitled to a 2 or 3 bedroom flat-No sharing.
You can move out(and take the house allowance) if you want but in that case you will not be allowed to come back into the company accomodation

4) transfer...2...3 years.(but rules keep changing).

5) yes they do have 320 sim in Doha.You might do the full course here.

Iver
22nd Dec 2008, 14:22
My advice: stay in US on the RJ and continue to build time. Having 1,000 PIC on the RJ would make you a bit more marketable. I might also consider FlyDubai as an FO on the 737-800 if I were you after you reach the magic 1000 PIC number. You may be competing with a flood of pilots from India with 737 and A320 time in the near future. Therefore, your total hours need to be a bit more competitive.

Good luck to you.

skya320
24th Dec 2008, 15:23
Totally agreed with Capt Krunch :ok: and AirbusMaster
A320 is not a very desirable fleet. Goodluck to you :)

B787J
27th Dec 2008, 05:30
Whatever the Guys say , I wouldnt sugguest QR as a good employer to its pilots ... you would be better off with any other Career in the Middle East... At least u have career progression!!! Best of Luck Mattie ... :ok:

flynhigh
27th Dec 2008, 16:53
Hello All and Merry Xmas to all.
I need some help and was hoping someone might be able to help. with regard to DEC A320 fleet or Widebody FO which one should I take. I was told widebody FO's make as much as A320 Capt with better roster. Also is it true that they will give you 4 days OFF in row every month. Thanks for all the help.

NoJoke
28th Dec 2008, 01:40
me no understandie ~ Mattie ?

AFD
28th Dec 2008, 03:30
nojoke you got a pvt thanks

Low IN Fuel
28th Dec 2008, 03:36
stay away from A-320 even for less money.

loc22550
28th Dec 2008, 06:39
4 days off in a row every month only on request.But Seems that this request has been even suspended now,without any advice to crew..as usual..
Go for the A-340;)..they can have (and ONLY them:\) 8 days off in a row every month!!

Capt Krunch
28th Dec 2008, 06:51
FlyinHigh:

do you not read between the lines ?? or the lines at all.. let me explain to the best of my very limited knowledge.
there is NO set days OFF per month ( i.e. 4 days in a row) no mater what anyone has told you.. you get on average or 8 days OFF per month.. and some can be down route while on layover ( as I am as we speak)..
as far as DEC or F/O.. well I just feel stupid even answering this question... hhmmm ... A Captain or a F/O ?? tough choice.. let me think ?? even if you make the same money, I would be thinking of my future elswhere and not choose to be stuck for atleast 5 years as a F/O ( thats how long it takes on average around here, don't be fooled).

remember you are in the MIDDLE EAST.. the F/O position must be the toughest position anyone could ever do in this part of the world, just ask one.

Posioned By Compromise
Krunch

intaomri
28th Dec 2008, 07:44
I do not understand what do you mean by an F/O job can be so bad in the middle east airlines as you claim , apart from having to wait for his command 3 - 5 years which is normal unless of course this period is reduced to 2-3 years in certain times subject to airlines' needs, I find nearly every F/O is happy . I think you should stop talking like this about how F/O's feel here and scare peoples off unnecessarilly.:=

Xaxa
28th Dec 2008, 09:02
Bansai, maybe you should read the post again.

with regard to DEC A320 fleet or Widebody FO which one should I take.

KRUGERFLAP
28th Dec 2008, 13:44
5 yrs to upgrade or worst only in Qr or GF.

EY and EK 3 to 4 yrs

B787J
30th Dec 2008, 04:37
Righton Krugerflap ..... QR is without any doubt the worst airline to work in the Middle East, full of lies that are told to you .... Its once bitten twice shy as the song goes !!!! Policies change with a blink of an eye ... Wait a minute THERE ARE NO POLICIES ....:mad:

sayap-patah
30th Dec 2008, 12:09
command upgrade in QR??? ehhmmmm, how many pilot (F/O) per year are upgrade ? 50 F/O;s?:confused:

Wango Z Tango
30th Dec 2008, 13:45
50 !!!!! what airline are you talking about.. surely NOT Qatar Aiways..
Oh yes maybe you mean Candidates only selected for Upgrade, but no way that 50 per year make the upgrade in this place.
Not to say the selected candidates are not up to par, some are some are not, regardless it comes down to some silly questions that a large percentage of experienced line Captains could not even answer anyway.. seems to have nothing to do with experience and capabilities.

so many good guys are stuck in the right seat, and so much Incompetence in the left seat. ( OK i'll say if for you.. myself included.. LOL)

Happiness is V2
WzT

bluefalcon
30th Dec 2008, 14:06
Gentleman of Qatar Airways, or ex QR, Good day to all.

Ive been offered interview on both Korean Air and Qatar Airways on these coming months. My question is (obvoiusly, incase I make it)..which one?
Before giving me your advices, consider the following:
F/O, early 30s, single, with over 3000 hours,

In KAL Im offered the 737. 11 days off a month anywhere in the world. No chance for upgrade ever, life in Korea would be purely focused on work, very strict SOPs, no social life, etc.

In QR most probably the 777. but im not looking in staying there for ever either.

Money wise comes out to the same after computing everything. Im simply looking for the most favourable and enjoyable experience.

Advice from Expats greatly appreciated..

Thanks to all.

Repeat
30th Dec 2008, 14:55
Haven't heard much on hiring at QR for a while. I have been in the holding pool for an interview as a non-type rated DEC for quite some time... Is QR looking at non-type rated DEC at this time?
:confused:

Capt Krunch
30th Dec 2008, 15:30
BlueFalcon:

well, you have a tough choice there my friend, some may say easy but I do not see it that way.
some may say.. QA is not a place that has a lifestyle, ( I tend to agree) social life is on layovers, SOPs are also very strict ( problem is sometimes it seems everyone has their own interpretation). however, in KAL as you mentioned.. permenent F/O, whereas QA you stand a chance of a upgrade in 5 years or so, this is provided you ( or your partner) have not made any SIM errors or line check blunders, and have kept your nose clean, also of course you must pass the command interviews and assesments.

so given the fact that you have limited experience and relatively low time, also keeping in mind the global market situation, my best advise would be to come here ( QA ) you just need to do good, put up and shut up, then you'll have a job until your reach the stage where you can take a upgrade out of the place, this is the only one clear advantage you'll have over the KAL position. don't get your hopes up over the 777, yes they are hiring allot of DEC's and F/O's on that fleet as it's the new bird in the yard, but at the same time we are short F/O on the 330 in a desperate way ( most of us now fly many Co-Capt trips because of this). your placed where needed at the time, unless your type rated, goes without saying i guess.
if thats not important to you, the KAL is the right choice, But be clear, in QA you ARE treated as a second class citizen full stop, I can't say what the ExPat life in Korean would be like having never lived there.

Mr Repeat
Yes they are still looking for ( more like needing) guys, knock on the door again is my suggestion.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

AFD
30th Dec 2008, 16:16
capt krunch
can you say something about qr 330 roster?

how many days off in doha?
is it true that qr pilots have their days off out of doha during layovers?

if you are called during a stand-by duty what's the time to be at the airport?

is there any chance to ask for days off or specific flight or layover in qr?

Capt Krunch
30th Dec 2008, 16:32
AFD :

your answers as I know them.

1) maximum of 8

2) yes, every month but not all 8, usually just couple.

3) 1 hour, but sometimes they will call you many hours ahead of time.

4) yes you can request certain days OFF, and certain flights and layovers, but not all requests are honored and never consistant.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

Repeat
30th Dec 2008, 20:09
Thanks Capt Krunch,

I will be knocking on the door again shortly... Any comments on the roster for the 777 (already read about the 320, and my Couz was on the 330)? Any other advice for a non-type rated guy (besides the usual QA stuff)?

Capt Krunch
30th Dec 2008, 20:38
one thing you should understand. this is not North America, Or Europe. things are different here, very different..the thoughts and Ideas are very much different and no one will change that, you must simply accept it, this is not the place to assume you have any human rights at all, no one really give a sh#t about who you are or what you have done, there are over 80 different nationalities in this company, and things are done to meet the standards of the lower common denominator.
think long and hard before coming out here. No one cares if your type rated or not.. yes of course the type rated guys have experience and thats whats needed around here on the 777, and we do have some really good experienced guys on that bird now ( the typed DEC's anyway). but in some peoples eyes your more of a threat than a asset. . Typed guys just takes the pressure off the training department and makes the SIM a bit shorter and easier, everything else is the same and it will take a minimum of 2 to 4 months before released to line if your already rated. add another month to that ( 30 to 45 day) if your not type rated.

this place can frustrate you to the point your head explodes, but in the end it's money in the bank ( not as good as some places) but it there, and thats why we are here isn't it.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

Capt Krunch
31st Dec 2008, 04:07
SNAM :

please elaborate ??

well let me think, what do expats come to the ME, namely Qatar... night life ?? there is more active and better night life on any given sunday or national holiday than there is at the best day of the week in Qatar.. ( private party scene is quite good though) .. maybe culture ? well i'll leave that one alone for respect, but one thing for sure all that the local folks are interested in is building bigger and better, or something newer and fancier than the neighbor.. no true historic value can be seen anywhere.
is it lifestyle then ?? if you compare Qatar's lifestyle with that of a 3rd world country then i'll say yes to that one, other than that is very limited. why would someone leave their country to become treated like a second class citizen.

so what does that leave me. wake up a bit SNAM. most all expats are avoiding the tax man in our home countries ( money) QA pays a fair wage for the job done ( money) we get paid on time all the time ( money) we can buy things on credit that we could no do so easily in our home countries ( money), we can save, money, easily due to lack of things to do in this country ( money). we have all transplanted our lives, and families to this country to build a better future faster back home ( root of this .. MONEY) .. that vast majority of us are here for the money, no 2 ways about it.

yes there are some local arabic folks from surrounding countries that come for a bit of a better maybe more modern life ( libya, Sudan ) to name only 2 and NOT meant to generalize, even some of those guys are here,, for the MONEY.. thats why so many expats come to a Tax free region. if a income Tax of 20 to 50 percent ( like most countries ) would be applied, then you would see NO ONE out here:=.. ( again MONEY)

poisoned by compromise ( and money:})
Krunch

JungleJett
31st Dec 2008, 09:53
Yes I do agree, we come here for the MONEY!! And also eventually a type rating for those non-type rated guys/gals.
But...these days it looks like if you want to make a living in aviation, the ME is the only place. You have stability, career...?, money....
Concerning the money, let me throw there some numbers, not for show off but for pure info to those interested in joining:
I am a farely new F/O on the 320 and this year including the housing allowance, I made 130,000 USD for 730 hours flown.
It might sound a lot but believe me it doesn't feel like 130 k....not here in Doha. Still I am not complaining. So far for me it's a win win situation but I am not naive so please spare me any sarcastic comments.....
I have no agenda, am not a brown noser and don't believe in Santa Claus anymore.
Just facts.

DoubtingThomas
31st Dec 2008, 14:39
Is it true that A.R. in no longer in charge of Pilot Recruitment at QA?

Happy New year all!

FlyingOW
1st Jan 2009, 00:00
Hello gents,

Any updates re: Rosters, days-off, and destinations aside from JFK, IAD (future IAH with 200LR) and BOM?

Website now shows 5 a/c incorporated into the fleet......How many expected to arrive in 2009?

I have >2800 RHS hours on B763ER (>4100 TT) but willl soon be transfered to LHS on the A320. My question is, would QR still consider me for the T7 or will they only consider me for the bus? Regardless of previous experience?

Thanks in advance, and happy new year, wherever you may spend it :ok:!

OW

Pixie Queen
1st Jan 2009, 00:57
How much does one of those ID90s cost ?

And this observation from across the pond... from all of the posts that I read here(hundreds), there a very few of you pilots that are satisfied and or happy in the "SandPit". WHY..... Are all of the Airlines over there run so unorganized, I'm astonished and in disbelief. It's amazing from what I read here daily. OMFG :eek: