View Full Version : Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

XL391
9th May 2008, 12:13
Brunty overhead

Al R
9th May 2008, 12:16
15 minutes ago, I picked up an unHarrier like drone. Looked up, and there she was.. calmly gazing down in a most Dowager like manner. Lovely to see, and even more so as a complete surprise. It alters the perspective.

XL391
9th May 2008, 12:16
Safely on the deck :ok:

XL391
9th May 2008, 12:21
My congratulations to the team on a hopefully successful conclusion to the test flight program. :ok:

snapper41
9th May 2008, 12:29
Nice waggle of the wings as she passed overhead Cranwell - great to see after all these years.

Toddington Ted
9th May 2008, 12:47
Snapper41 I concur! Lovely to see the Vulcan in the air in Lincolnshire again. Those days at Scampton seemed a long time ago but perhaps not! A quiet, stately flypast and then about 5 mins later back over the top of Cranwell, somewhat higher this time, with gear down and giving the engines some checks by the sound of it! The weather's great today too!

Wycombe
9th May 2008, 12:56
So, are Display Authorisation validation flights still outstanding?

TEEEJ
9th May 2008, 13:38
Some snaps from today at RAF Coningsby. Congrats to all involved in this wonderful project! Taken from down at the 25 end.

If anyone was down amongst the hardened aircraft shelters they would have seen an amazing turn showing the topsides in superb light. I'll post a link if anyone has snapped her during the turn.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/12c4ddf5.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/70d2a0f3.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/9e651b17.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/141b3949.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/3578e4bf.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/e133a597.jpg

Cheers

TJ

stickmonkeytamer
9th May 2008, 15:14
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/STICKMONKEYTAMER/XH558WAD1.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/STICKMONKEYTAMER/ZH558WAD2.jpg

Great work guys!:D

SMT

Exrigger
9th May 2008, 15:29
Lovely pictures, but my best moment was when I saw and heard it myself for real as it gracefully overflew Waddington and dissapeared in the direction of Lincoln/Scampton.

Brilliant work guys and thanks for making my day, all thats left is to be able to see it display again and all the effort and contributions to date will have been worth it.

ZH875
9th May 2008, 15:51
That's where she belongs. :)

Synthetic
10th May 2008, 09:53
Thanks to those in the know for keeping us up to date on progress. Can anyone shed any light on likely public appearance dates?

Lancasterman
12th May 2008, 20:53
A hearty and BIG congrats to all at tvoc and the ngineering team especially. Just read that all the test flights are now completed and she is ready to go with only the caa paperwork to get sorted!!:D

Flying Signman
12th May 2008, 21:13
Waddington is looking favourite to me at the moment for first display, but anything could change this situation.

Smiler558
13th May 2008, 19:55
Thought you'd like to know the latest update is in.

http://www.tvoc.co.uk/news/anmviewer.asp?a=272&z=2

:)

AvroLincoln
13th May 2008, 22:00
Having spent a year or so at RAF CONINGSBY myself long ago, I find it exceedingly irritating when so-called aviation enthusiasts keep spelling it Conningsby! The TVOC piece is just one of many examples on this and other fora.
Rant over.

Smiler558
14th May 2008, 05:07
That's nothing, I spent six years there and I wrote the article :bored: oop's

:O

Winco
14th May 2008, 06:26
Heard a whisper that she is going to do her work up for display auth at Scampton, anyone confirm??

sucksqueezeBANGstop
14th May 2008, 22:25
I see from the www.tvoc.co.uk website that Part Three of the RESTORATION dvds is out now!! For anyone interested :D

scribbler614
15th May 2008, 15:49
News article from last week - spokesman says there's no money for any air shows.
Please someone tell me it won't end like this?:sad:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IT WAS hailed as a great British triumph by delighted aviation fans across the world - but last night the achievement was looking increasingly hollow.

After seven years of toil by engineers and £8million of tireless fund-raising - including a £2.7million Lottery grant - an historic RAF Vulcan bomber was finally restored to airworthy condition and soared majestically into the skies last October.

But just six months on, and within hours of Vulcan XH558 completing its stringent test-flying programme, organisers admitted their funds are exhausted and the gleaming jet may never fly again.

Hopes that the huge Vulcan would be the star of air shows around the world for years to come, with millions listening awe-struck to the famous thunder of her four Rolls Royce engines, may come to nothing because all efforts to find a corporate sponsor have failed.

The team of engineers and ex-RAF aircrew operating the Vulcan - which formed the backbone of Britain's nuclear deterrent for much of the Cold War - now need £1.2million a year to keep her flying.

Yesterday the crew flew her back to her home base at Bruntingthorpe in Leicestershire, in what may prove to be her last ever sortie.

Paul Muckle, spokesman for the Vulcan To The Sky Trust, said: 'We had hoped to do 10 to 15 airshows a year, but the money is all used up. As of now, there are no more flights planned. There won't be any airshows.

'We've had £2.7million from the Lottery and £3million from the public. We have always hoped that once she was flying, corporate sponsors would see the potential.

'She's a great British icon and will steal the show at any air displays - which are second in popularity only to football matches. We believe it's an excellent branding opportunity with a huge audience, but it would seem the climate of financial uncertainty isn't helping.'

Vulcan bombers were designed in the late 1940s to carry nuclear bombs into the heart of Russia, and for years the fleet was on round-the-clock stand-by to take off from RAF stations across Britain.

The RAF flew them in anger only a handful of times - in the legendary 'Black Buck' raids of 1982, when crews flew what were then the longest ever bombing missions from Ascension Island to the Falklands to bomb Port Stanley airport and attack Argentine radar sites.

Restoration work of XH558 took many years and was an astonishing feat of determination and engineering, with hundreds of outdated components having to be reproduced and restored.

But without a sponsor the aircraft looks set to stay in its hangar at Bruntingthorpe for good.

Synthetic
15th May 2008, 15:58
Oh God - I feel sick.

S'land
15th May 2008, 16:51
To quote Captain Darling in certain TV series: "Bugghah".

Flying Signman
15th May 2008, 21:22
Scribbler614,

Where was this news article?

I attended the AGM on Sunday last and directly asked Andrew Edmundson the state of funding.

There is sufficient fuel and money to see the Display training /authorisation and sufficient we were told, for a few months of operations.

Money is still tight..... they need all they can.
At least there also seems to be directions from the supporters club to set up promotions and fundraisiing initiatives that will mean the project will no longer be so reliant on a single sponsor.

However, immmediate promotion from within the Aviation community to the general public, is one sure way of stopping this negative press and actually putting the project on a sounder long-term footing.

Regards,
FS.

forget
15th May 2008, 22:03
Something smelly about the 'article'. I've tried Google searches of half a dozen combinations of exact words, from the article, and the only thing that comes up is this very page - on Pprune. :=

Eagle402
15th May 2008, 22:19
I'm with 'forget'. I also tried to track down the article using the well known search outboard and got nothing. The fact that this august forum is not awash with 'Indignant of Lincolnshire' types also says a lot to me.

Conjecture aside, I would be astonished if the recent test flights/compass swing work and the talk of the airshow season would have been committed to if the financial position was as dire as the article implies.

Here's hoping that the 'story' is indeed b.s. and that somebody in the know will confirm that all is well.

forget
16th May 2008, 08:43
Scribbler614. It seems that you may have invented this 'article'. This is a Mil Forum and, unless you can prove otherwise, I'd call this 'spreading alarm and despondency amongst the troops'. :mad:

Unless you can prove the source, and that it was in fact published, I can think of several people who'll make sure you've posted your last.

gsa
16th May 2008, 09:07
Something smelly about the 'article'.

The Telegraph on Saturday said no Money left and unless corporates give money the crew that flew it back will probably be the last. Nice photo to go with it though.

John

iank
16th May 2008, 09:33
I dont suppose you have a link to the article on the Telegraph website?

I've tried searching the site but haven't seen anything from as recent as Saturday (so far). :confused:

daddy flm
16th May 2008, 09:48
well well

As you all know im not a great fan of all things tvoc and im sure they feel the same BUT at least all my posts good or bad are based on facts

TVOC have funds to complete the airtest and even maybe the flying displays for the CAA they also have some backing from MA towards the engineering i know paul and i do not think he would have said this and doubt if he really knows the inside track as tvoc management dont say alot to anyone

In the short term yes they have problems with the radios and yes it may need an airtest but whats to say they cant do this and display practice as well i sure they have other major issues that we dont know about but all we can do is watch and see

IMHO i can not see tvoc lasting much longer than the 1st year just on public donations but as we are told and then not told the sponsors are there and then not.

I will keep the faith AS long as Marshall is involved but after that its bye bye

gsa
16th May 2008, 11:02
I dont suppose you have a link to the article on the Telegraph website?

It was in the paper, I'll scan and upload it on monday when i'm back .

John

scribbler614
16th May 2008, 11:21
Gentlemen, apologies. An explanation is required. Nothing fishy here.

The article was indeed written by me. To my frustration it didn't get used in my newspaper last Saturday so I posted it here, feeling that it was an important development and some here might be interested.

That's why a google search will only show this thread.

Vulcan To The Skies sent me a press release last Thursday (I've pasted it below), flagging up the next day's flight back to Bruntie, and warning of the financial problems and the risk that this might be the last flight. You'll see that the email subject is 'Vulcan's last hurrah?' Their words, not mine.

I rang Paul Muckle - who many of you will presumably know, and discussed it further with him, and quoted him in the article in question. As I say, to my frustration, my bosses weren't sufficiently interested to run the article.
Far from my wanting to spread fear and despondency, Paul M actually thanked me for taking an interest and welcomed some publicity to highlight the financial problems going forward.

Yes, I'm a journalist. No secret. I've never pretended otherwise. For those who are faintly interested my name is Matthew Hickley and I've been defence correspondent at the Daily Mail for the past 10 years. There, I've blown it.

I've just spoken to Paul Muckle again this morning. He tells me the latest state of play is:
- One more test flight needed for radios, expected soon.
- CAA permit hoped for within the next month.
- No more money left for airshows 'for the time being'. Efforts continue.

Daddly flm, you went to last Sunday's AGM, which I didn't, and by your account Andrew Edmundson gave a more up-beat view of the accounts.
I supopse either he or Paul or exaggerating. I've no way of knowing who, but quite often we hacks have no choice but to take an organisation's official spokesman at their word.

I hope very much to see the old girl wowing the crowds at airshows soon. For one thing I'd love to take my sons along and explain what all the fuss is about. And I've never heard those engines up close.

To those who doubted my veracity - Mig15, forget, Eagle402 - I'm outraged but I can see why.
My article was properly sourced. It seems the Telegraph has covered the same story and, unlike my own organ, actually found room to print it.

I assure you I'm no troll, walt or wannabe. I trust any ppruners who know me 'en clair' will vouch for me.

Original press release below:

"Paul Muckle" <[email protected]>
08/05/2008 16:00
To: "'Tamara Thompson'" <[email protected]>
cc:
Subject: Vulcan's Last Hurrah?
Words:

Hi,

It has just been confirmed that Vulcan XH558 has completed her flight
testing programme and will return to Bruntingthorpe from RAF Coningsby
tomorrow lunchtime with all work necessary for a CAA Permit to Fly complete.
The paperwork will be submitted after landing and then everyone faces an
anxious wait for approval. I have attached the original press release
covering completion of testing for your review.

The joy of completing the Vulcan to the Sky project's primary objective may
be overshadowed however, as once she is returned to her hangar there's no
guarantee she'll come out again. A commercial sponsor has still not been
found and financial uncertainty shrouds the Vulcan's future.

It would be great if you could join us tomorrow for this momentous occasion,
and give us the media support and coverage we need to attract a sponsor.

It may also be your last chance to see a Vulcan fly.

Please let me know if you can make it, so I can warn the team at
Bruntigthorpe of expected numbers. Bring your own high-vis if possible, and
hopefully I'll see you around 11.00 tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Paul

---
PAUL MUCKLE Public Relations Manager

Rock Kitchen Harris Ltd, 31 Lower Brown Street, Leicester LE1 5TH
0116 233 7500 | www.rkh.co.uk | Reg. No. 1589727

daddy flm
16th May 2008, 12:41
I was not at the agm and i certainly would not speak to edmondson in fact i would be welcome at brunty as much as 'well you decide i was the senior airframe guy on the project and due to my out spoken views on the whole operation i am no longer involved and dont miss it at all.

An upbeat side to it i doubt it it is a mask to hide the truth and no doubt worry after all mr edmondson professed the a/c was servicable when we now know it was not.

All i want now is someone with commercial management and a history of success to come in and take over and put the girl in the air for many years to come.

In defence to tvoc the engineers even the ones who dont like me anymore are doing all they can with what they have and for this i give them credit
thre only thing mr edmondson ,plemming and mrs Drewitt have been consitant in telling us is WE HAVE NO FUNDS WE NEED MORE MONEY WE ARE TRYING VERY HARD this never changes maybee they could re-open EBAYtrading that seemed to raise alot of money?

scribbler614
16th May 2008, 13:07
daddly flm - apols. I meant to direct those comments to Flying Signman, who did go to the AGM.

forget
16th May 2008, 13:17
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/spade.jpg

Al R
16th May 2008, 13:21
Scribbler's real crime is working for the Daily Mail.

LookingNorth
16th May 2008, 15:29
It seems obvious the party line is "We have no more money, please give generously" simply because that's more likely to get donations than "We're doing alright for a bit, ta, but please donate anyway".

Radio, well, hearing them talking to Cott on the last flight, the radio sounded okay to me, bit of a humming noise but no worse than any other oxygen-mask-wearing mil jockey on the airwaves.

blue monday
16th May 2008, 15:30
Scribbler's real crime is working for the Daily Mail.

Dail mails not my favorite paper but Im sure it would be more of a crime working for other papers/publications.

Vulcan 903
16th May 2008, 16:40
With my Rose Tinted Vulcan glasses on!

I see Farnborough has down for the Vulcan flying every day at this years show in it's line up.

Daily Mail has supported publicity for the project for years, so don't knock them to hard.

Biker Boy
16th May 2008, 17:28
In reply to LookingNorth,

I am afraid the radios, specifically the RT2 UHF and VHF sets controlled by the 1st Pilot, were most assurredly not alright.:mad: The howling noise on UHF almost blanked out all speech. In addition, there was a whistling noise with weak sidetone on the VHF radio. :uhoh:

The RT1 system, controlled by the AEO, which only uses UHF, was O.K. However, the Garmin VHF at the AEO position, although clear seemed to have weak sidetone.

On Tuesday last, I took all the components of the UHF and VHF RT2 system, including Interface unit , junction box and cables, to the nice chaps at Serco's Fairy Glen, who checked them out on their test equipment. The UHF radio had a defective card causing distortion when the test tone was injected. The sidetone line is apparently shared by the VHF radio too, both are mounted on a common crate, and this is thought to have affected the VHF too. After repair and testing, the entire system was connected together on a systems rig and tested satisfactorily. RT2 components will be refitted on Monday next as soon as I can get to do the job.:ok:

The Garmin VHF is the responsibility of Marshall Aerospace and it is believed that their design boffins have come up with a fix which hopefully will be fitted very soon.:D

Hope that clears things a bit:cool:

Old Ned
16th May 2008, 17:51
Grateful for clarification, but I was under the impression that Lottery funding was granted to a "Vulcan Educational Trust". Ie, so that the ac could be used to educate youth about the Cold War. Operating at air shows may only be a by-product as far as the lottery gnomes are concerned.

My question is if she doesn't fly again, will the Lottery want their money back?

Pip pip ON

Shadwell the old
16th May 2008, 19:58
Could TVOC not ask Willy Walsh to claim his bonus and donate it to the project.

Worth a try

Synthetic
16th May 2008, 20:01
My worry is that an article like this may become a self fulfilling prophecy.

polyglory
16th May 2008, 20:21
What can one say, at last we are getting feedback from the engine room so to speak and many thanks to all of you for that, very much appreciated indeed.

The input from the top end fiance wise leaves a lot to be desired and has been for a while.

We all want her to fly and perform, it really baffles me why BP , Shell do not go the whole hog and donate the fuel for the whole season.

A personal view as always:)

LookingNorth
16th May 2008, 21:26
Thanks for that Biker Boy. My observations based only on listening to them talk, didn't sound bad at all. Brunters' ground radio is absolutely shi'ite though - can't hear them from the other end of the airfield sometimes.

gareth herts
17th May 2008, 07:06
What can one say, at last we are getting feedback from the engine room so to speak and many thanks to all of you for that, very much appreciated indeed.

The input from the top end fiance wise leaves a lot to be desired and has been for a while.

We all want her to fly and perform, it really baffles me why BP , Shell do not go the whole hog and donate the fuel for the whole season.

A personal view as always

These top end fiances can be a problem............... :ok:

Seriously though, while TVOC may well be struggling to find a sponsor in the current financial climate I for one believe they could have had a sponsor tied-up some time ago. Many, including myself, have questioned the way in which this seemed to be approached having seen some of the press releases etc. Also, many offers for help in this area have fallen on deaf ears.

I think many are now sitting here with everything crossed that this isn't the end of it due to lack of dosh.

Eagle402
17th May 2008, 09:03
Scribbler 614,

The reasons for your article not being chosen for by the newspaper in question are fairly obvious. At no point (and I've checked) do you apportion blame for the alleged shortage of funds on : asylum seekers, single mothers, the NHS or, critically, house prices.

Schoolboy error my boy....

Eagle402

Synthetic
17th May 2008, 09:50
---and therefore incorrect:}

Flying Signman
17th May 2008, 16:29
TVOC webpage has been hacked by mdx? - and is offline:(

devilsih
17th May 2008, 16:39
what pleasure would anyone get in hacking into TVOC?? it certainly is closed down tho:mad:

Vulcan 903
17th May 2008, 16:59
I have spoken to VOC and they are on the case.

*Zwitter*
17th May 2008, 19:34
It's back up

Vulcan 903
27th May 2008, 13:46
Another test flight is planned for later this week. I think it's a flight to test the radios.. but not 100% sure. No fly away this time either.

Hangar_9
27th May 2008, 14:34
IT seems unlikely we will see her at Biggin this year then :uhoh:

Vulcan 903
27th May 2008, 15:57
Correct! She will not be at Biggin. Timeline I think they are now trying to hit is Waddington.
I am sure an update will be issued soon on the TVOC web site.

Dop
27th May 2008, 16:10
It's a shame about Biggin, but I was already pretty certain that wasn't going to happen. Shame, as that was the only thing that would have got me to have gone this year.

Vulcan 903
27th May 2008, 19:28
558 is down to do the big three. Waddington, RIAT and Farnborough (Public Days). The Farnborough posters only have two aircraft on - the new Air Bus and the Vulcan, so expect action (from the Vulcan!)

Dis Gruntled
27th May 2008, 19:31
Hi have heard 558 will fly Friday weather permitting of course to sort out the radio fault will be up about an hour or so then back in to Brunty.
Hopefully then MA will allow paperwork to go forward too the CAA for them to issue permit heard this will take about a month, then they have too sort out the permit too display Waddo will be a close one though I think.
Any more news will let you know :)

Vulcan 903
27th May 2008, 22:39
I think... if the aircraft does not make the big 3, then we will need to dig very deep indeed into our pockets to continue this idea.

tothefuture
28th May 2008, 08:44
Hi, I was under the impression that the paperwork had already been sent to the CAA around the time of the club AGM. Does anyone know for sure ? Shame about Biggin Hill, living an hour up the road it would have been the nearest show to me :( oh well what's another year.

cliver029
28th May 2008, 10:22
BBC Look East had an interview with MA's Chief Test pilot about the proposed flight. Hope that means another "overhead Cambridge" Friday (Hint Hint);)

Cliver029

Vulcan 903
29th May 2008, 08:22
It's a test flight, air to air photo and display practise flight tomorrow.

Exrigger
29th May 2008, 11:30
Vulcan 903, where did you get that gen from ref the DA, the TVOC/Marshalls guys (engineering) are saying that the test flight is to confirm that the radio/avionic problems have been fixed, which was picked up while Marshall went through the test flight paperwork/data and the DA cannot be awarded untill the Permit to Fly has been awarded, which apparently will not happen untill Marshalls are happy with the air test results. You are right that all being well the test flight will be tomorrow. Unless the TVOC club/forum members are being kept in the dark.

Lou DeCrosse
29th May 2008, 11:58
Ex,

You can use a bit of (paper) smoke and mirrors to do a display prior to having a PTF. It's not unsafe or illegal, it just isn't done very often.

Lou

Vulcan 903
29th May 2008, 12:29
Sorry - my wording was not perfect, so I have corrected it!

Exrigger
29th May 2008, 16:23
Lou DeCrosse, Thanks for that, I know what can be done but TVOC do not want to risk any delays by trying to rush the process, in case it has an adverse effect to the project, for that I cannot blame them really.

Vulcan 903, thanks for your reply also, but you didn't need to change your post, it was just I was at Bruntingthorpe Sunday and then some gen was also posted within the forum and it was muted that it could be another week before the CAA could give a PTF depending on the next air test results.

Polikarpov
29th May 2008, 20:49
The interview with MA mentioned by cliver029 can be seen here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7423998.stm).

chappie
30th May 2008, 14:04
i was very excited when i heard the local news report saying that the vulcan was at marshalls and would fly on fri. i have been to marshalls today, as i live in cambridge and no sign of it in air, or out on field. has anyone got any info?

Vulcan 903
30th May 2008, 14:10
Still in the hangar!

Tricorn
30th May 2008, 14:17
hangar:ok:

hurn
30th May 2008, 14:29
Todays test flight has been cancelled.

cliver029
30th May 2008, 14:32
In The Hanger........................and now with wheel covers on.

Chappie

I dont think anyone had ever said it was at Marshalls in Cambridge,
and a quick look at the TVOC webcams would have shown that

Clive029

Vulcan 903
30th May 2008, 14:55
"DA flight postponed due to adverse weather
Friday, May 30, 2008 - TA

Due to poor visibilty and slow clearing cloud cover today's DA flight was not possible.

The aircraft is fully servicable and ready to go and a replacement flight will now be arranged in the very near future.

Rusty Drewett, Commercial Manager, VTST "

Dis Gruntled
30th May 2008, 15:46
Hi folks,
Just too clear a few things up as a lot of stuff been posted on numerous forums. Yes the test flight was cancelled due too the weather and there where a couple of snags this morning that have now been rectified one with the number 2 tank that was reading incorrectly and the other with some bolts in the undercarrige which were done under an SI but unfortunately put back in slightly bent (you cant get better than a kwik fit fitter lol).
There is no way that 558 would of been allowed too perform at Cosford on Sunday even if she had completed the TEST FLIGHT snag free and then done a couple of DA flights for Mr CAA.
As for Waddington I know some people seem too think the CAA permit too fly will take a week too sort out but it will take MA about that long if not longer too get the paperwork too the CAA and then at least 3 weeks for CAA to give permit too display. And she still needs her (maybe the last) test flight done yet which I believe they are looking at next week but with our wonderful summer living up too expectations dont count on it.
Hope thats cleared up a few rumours.
Any questions

Biker Boy
30th May 2008, 22:01
Kwik fit fitter?? Oh glass houses and stones come to mind my boy! Glass houses and stones!!:E

Blacksheep
31st May 2008, 08:08
Apart from QRA, I never heard of a Vulcan 'Crew-In' that didn't involve a snag or two. As for returning from a flight without any defects - come on guys, get real! This is a Vulcan we're talking about...;)

Pontius Navigator
31st May 2008, 09:06
BS,

We often had flights were there were no post-flight snags - like in Tehran, Nairobi, Ohakia, El Adem, Ankara, Gardemoen :ok:

Mind you we often seemed to need engine changes in Offut, don't know why.

Folklore had it that Eng Wg always put a bag o'nails up for the Rangers so that the crew and one crew chief could sort it out, do the work of 30 groundcrew, and get the chinagraph line ever upwards at no cost to Eng Wg, apart from the crew chief.

Sometimes the plan went tits up. I still remember one rather bemused sgt flown out to Offut to assist with an engine change - mere sgts never got that opportunity normally. Wonderful name for a sooty - Hammer :)

BEagle
31st May 2008, 09:50
There were significant differences between 'Goose snags' and 'Offutt snags' when I was in the V-force!

We would carry virtually anything to escape from Goose; however, we were somewhat more choosy when safely ensconced at Offutt.

It was a mere coincidence that the AEO's sniffle became a heavy cold the day after we landed at Offutt on one occasion. Really it was!

CHING!!

MikeStanton
31st May 2008, 12:12
what if any are the chances of 558 displaying at Biggin next weekend not good by the looks of things :(

MikeStanton
31st May 2008, 15:10
^^ Thanks, what a shame, maybe once the CAA give her the nod, she wil l perform some else in the south east.... Farnborough maybe ;)

Fugazi1000
31st May 2008, 20:25
I noted somewhere that the likely three displays this year (assuming no other hitches) are Farnborough, Fairford (RIAT) and Waddington.

Is it likely that any of these displays will involve a take-off?* I would love to hear the howl again!

If, for example, she was to perform at RIAT over both days, would more fuel be saved by parking-up overnight, and doing a take-off, display on the sunday, then RTB?

* Obviously there will be a take-off from the home base, so no witty comments thanks! :)

hurn
1st Jun 2008, 11:46
I would think that the Vulcan would be based at the big shows and stay overnight.

Part of the display is the take-off and landing, so I doubt the big three would want a Vulcan to fly-in, display and then fly-out again.

Also the PR opportunities at the shows would be huge, so having the aircraft there on static display would help promote it to a wider audience.

hurn
1st Jun 2008, 20:03
He means that the Vulcan was officially cancelled on the 23rd of May, not that it was displaying on that date.

GBALU53
1st Jun 2008, 20:25
From what I understand she is due down in Jersey for there Air Display in September.
She has a strong connection with the Island from what I understan,d so this could be one of only a few places to see not only the take off, the display and the landing back on.
Jersey was one of the last places she displayed years ago before her long rest and restoration to get back in the air.
We all await the day when the Permit is handed over then the Display Authorisation being given.
All the best to the team when this happens what a party to look forward to with the quest of honour one VULCAN XH558.:ok:

Dis Gruntled
1st Jun 2008, 20:35
Not 100% sure on this one but was under the impression that 558 was not allowed to fly overseas. But I stand too be corrected.

Vulcan 903
1st Jun 2008, 22:03
Jersey I am led to believe will be OK.
Take off and landing are based on the amount of retractions left on one of the main U/C units. It will have to be changed out around August time, as long as there are not many more extra flights needed.
There is a window between air shows in August when this change out can be done and the team are geared up to do it.
Just to set some expectations: The display will be similar to the RAF one, as the display pattern was included in the lottery grant application. However I do expect it to be tame compared to last couple of RAF seasons in the 90's.
I hope to be proved wrong!

Lost_luggage34
2nd Jun 2008, 00:42
Please clarify Vulcan903.

Undercarriage is up on cycles and will probably require replacement in August ?

So you just bolt another on ?

Where has that come from ? What dictates that the main gear requires replacement ?

What exactly is the situation wrt spares ?

Will the u/s undercarriage be serviced and then replaced ?

Some folks who donate to the trust like to know these things !

Pontius Navigator
2nd Jun 2008, 05:35
Jersey is a tadge short at 5100 feet. Normal short minima was 6000 feet. I suppose at her lighter weight it would be OK but would certainly need to stream which, in turn, would impose cross-wind limits, 20k IIRC.

Vulcan 903
2nd Jun 2008, 08:40
Yes sure. You know if you are passing Bruntingthorpe on a Sunday you can go in and see 558, and ask as many questions as you like - I did!

They have a lovely refurbished main U/C leg coming back from the OEM, and yes, you jack the a/c up and swap it over. Conduct some tests and it's business as usual. I hope we have a viewer who could detail a bit more a leg replacment? Smiler...... please?

Everything on this aircraft like all the others have a end of life date, and this work along with engine drops will all be scheduled in. What dictates, is in the operating manual which I do not see.

Spares are good generally and anything on the aircraft can be replaced with a refurbished/boxed brand new spare. From memory the Trust has options on using internal parts from other museum Vulcan's but it's a like for like swap otherwise the Museum & Galleries Commission frown on it and may not award future grants to museum Vulcan's unless they are complete as de commissioned Vulcan's.

Future servicing etc will be reported in the Club's magazine - in my opinion just don't donate, get something back for your hard earned cash. Join the supporters club and get the newsletters/magazines etc.
Smiler provides a detailed engineering report monthly for the entire world to read. I'm sure we will get an excellent report on the leg change.

Evanelpus
2nd Jun 2008, 10:41
There is a window between air shows in August when this change out can be done and the team are geared up to do it.

I've changed a Vulcan undercarriage in an 8 hour shift (with time to spare) and it's not that difficult to do with the right tools and GSE.

Duncano
3rd Jun 2008, 08:44
I understand the Vulcan is booked for the Battle of Britain Airshow at Leuchars 13 Sep 08. Plan is to park her on the intersection of the short runway and northern taxiway (on the new piano keys). Have also heard that Leuchars Airshow Office are trying to get the Reds and the Vulcan to do a formation flypast.

Fugazi1000 - I am fairly certain that the Airshow pay for the fuel.

TEEEJ
3rd Jun 2008, 12:45
Check out the Vulcams on the TVOC site. She is currently outside possibly for fuel?

The weather in the region is looking good for tomorrow onwards.

Cheers

TJ

TEEEJ
5th Jun 2008, 09:15
Hopefully not a repeat of last week with the weather?

'Q) EGTT/QWELW/IV/BO/W/000/030/5229N00108W003
E) VULCAN ACFT FLIGHT TESTING. PILOTS ARE REQUESTED TO AVOID FLYING WI 3NM RAD 5229N 00108W (BRUNTINGTHORPE AD, NEAR LUTTERWORTH, LEICS).
AUS 08-06-0462/1795/AS2.LOWER: SFC
UPPER: 3000FT AMSL'

See also post 728 on the following

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80207&page=25

Cheers

TJ

hurn
5th Jun 2008, 12:08
Confirmed on TVOC forums that (at this point) Fridays' flight wont contain a DA as a CAA examiner is unavailable.

kiwibrit
5th Jun 2008, 12:42
I've changed a Vulcan undercarriage in an 8 hour shift (with time to spare) and it's not that difficult to do with the right tools and GSE.As a former Vulcan SEngO I'd say that was going some, especially if jacking and de-jacking is taken into account. Maybe as a planned second/third line task with everything planned just right you could. Even so, I would have been impressed if I could have had that done in 8 hours by the ME(A)S guys in my day.

forget
5th Jun 2008, 12:54
How do you jack-up a Vulcan these days? There aren't any old pennies around. :confused:

ZH875
5th Jun 2008, 13:22
Forget, just use the blank where the jacking pad fits, it always worked for me.

forget
5th Jun 2008, 13:30
....... it always worked for me.

What - even when the other guys were using pennies? No wonder some of 'em flew sideways. Is that where the name Crabs comes from?

;)

hurn
5th Jun 2008, 16:41
Fridays flight now cancelled.

Being rescheduled for sometime next week.

supakva
5th Jun 2008, 22:26
Not again, last fridays flight cancelled,told aircraft was flight ready, just wasted two days of perfect weather and the weather next week looks iffy.
This thing is never going to make any airshows if it can only fly on clear sunny days.We all know we dont get many of these.
I hope they are not using poor weather for an excuse because they have ran out of money again!!.

Check the bbc news link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7433094.stm

It dont sound good :(

deltapapa
6th Jun 2008, 07:13
Not again, last fridays flight cancelled,told aircraft was flight ready, just wasted two days of perfect weather and the weather next week looks iffy.
This thing is never going to make any airshows if it can only fly on clear sunny days.We all know we dont get many of these.
I hope they are not using poor weather for an excuse because they have ran out of money again!!.

Last weeks flight was indeed cancelled because of weather as is todays, it is not a case of just move everything forward a day or two, it is down to the logistics of getting all the essential personal together - remember some work on other projects so not available at the drop of a hat, you have to co-ordinate emergency services, & the runway needs to be available - the first choice for flight was Wednesday but dispite checking last week that the runway was available TVOC were told on Tuesday it wasn't

you may find it hard to believe but not everything that doesn't go according to plan is tvoc's fault

The Swinging Monkey
6th Jun 2008, 08:01
DP

What you say might well be correct, but unfortunately there is this stigma attached to TVOC, and they continue to blame everyone else and everything else whenever things go wrong with the project. It's NEVER EVER their fault, is it??

Last Saturday was a classic example. I watched the good, red-headed lady from the group at Cosford shortly after her trailer was damaged. She was like a mad person, completely out of control!! She was shouting on the phone to a great long list of people about what had happened, loud enough for all to hear. (I for one found it all quite amusing, as did the guys puttting up the Red Arrows stall and the BBMF boys, who were next to her, as well as some others who had heard the shouting)

I'm afraid it's just typical TVOC, 'don't try and sort the problem out or fix it, get on the phone as soon as possible and shout and yell at as many people you can find to answer their phone'

The women is a joke frankly, and does little (infact she does absolutely nothing) to promote the project at all. Indeed, she is a poor and unworthy ambassadour for the team. Lose her!

supakva
6th Jun 2008, 08:03
the first choice for flight was Wednesday but dispite checking last week that the runway was available TVOC were told on Tuesday it wasn't

That is one of the reasons this project is in a mess.
If this project is going to survive it has to leave bruntingthorpe and move to a active runway that can be used at short notice.

supakva
6th Jun 2008, 08:09
Swinging monkey,

Great post mate, you have made me laugh.
You have also hit the nail bang on the head, she will have a face like thunder when she reads this, watch out she will be after you :0

bubblesuk
6th Jun 2008, 21:08
The red hed in question would be Rusty! her temper is legendry and rumour has it she eats those that refuse to tow the T.V.O.C. line! :}

Vulcan 903
7th Jun 2008, 08:12
I think VOC would love to move, but are unable to do at the moment. They have a contract signed with the airfield owners for the lease of the hangar. When it's up for renewal - I'm sure, 558 will be away.

Current flavour of airfield is Humberside (it's hush hush! but ask anyone in Humberside and they will tell you the Vulcan is coming).
Approach is over the sea and the airport away from popluation. This move does not excite me, but thats me just being me. If it helps 558, I have to wake and smell the coffee and accept it will be based at Humberside.
Do you need Passports?, I have never travelled that far up?

Linedog
7th Jun 2008, 08:44
I would be surprised if she moves to Humberside.
That would be something like a 100 mile commute for eveyone.
Have you seen the price of fuel lately?

airborne_artist
7th Jun 2008, 08:54
Rumour Control tells me that the Beast will fly through Benson's MATZ at around lunchtime en-route for Biggin. Anyone have more accurate timings?

Cheers

AA

Vulcan 903
7th Jun 2008, 09:06
Maybe at the 2009 Biggin Air Show, but not this weekends fun and frolics at Biggin.
558's not off test until Monday afternoon - hopefully. Then we wait for the permit and DA. Then....game on!

iansmith
7th Jun 2008, 09:15
It is a shame she couldn't be re-based at Finningley. Now that would be appropriate.

I suspect that all the hangers have been leased out, which would obviously be a problem, but it is still a nice idea.

daddy flm
7th Jun 2008, 13:57
Well at last someone with a bit of sense in the past i have had my say on alot of things regarding tvoc all the truth but it seems to of upset a few people thats why i have not posted or a while.

As it stands the ma tech will be at bruntingthorpe on monday to oversee the release for the final airtest we hope after that some flights for the CAA to gain the DA

Finningley now theres an idea as tvoc seem to have trouble in gaining the maintenance approvall for some people at the moment and the prospect that Marshall Aerospace will be involved for the forseeable future the fact that there is hangar space available the runway is active and MA have a training facillity in partnership with people there it seems a good idea this could open up a training scheme for existing engineers to help them gain certifying status

I for one would be glad to move back to Doncaster and work on the old girl under the marshall structure with my approvall covering the airframe trade (but i know this wont happen)

Plus some of the engineers live in lincoln it's a 40 min trip up the road the engine trade lack of expierience could be coverd by an ex engine SGT who lives 25 mins away (with training) so yes lets go for it i say but then again they did not listen to me when i was there so why now

look forward to the debate

On another note if the DA is only for the pilot what if mr t is unavailable due to sickness or other commitments surely mr pollitt and mr withers will need to be cleard for display as well will this need more flights at a later date?

dave

Vulcan 903
7th Jun 2008, 15:51
I think Mr T and Mr W will get the DA. Alas Mr Pollitt resigned as Operations Manager, so I don't expect him to be involved with VOC going forward. Such a good bunch of air crew, and now already they are one down.

Smiler558
7th Jun 2008, 16:02
I would be surprised if she moves to Humberside.
That would be something like a 100 mile commute for eveyone.
Have you seen the price of fuel lately?

Tell me about it, I've been travelling 65 miles each way every day for the last couple of years (except when I lived in the hangar for 6 months!!)

Vulcan 903
7th Jun 2008, 16:06
Nice to see you Smiler. I expect both Mr T and youself would of course love Waddington as the prefered Summer base for 558?

daddy flm
7th Jun 2008, 23:07
As far as i am aware mr thomas will be flying with MA test pilot on monday so will mr withers have to fly a DA flight later this could be awkward if they lose anyone else.

Nice to see smiler is dedicated as well cos if he goes as well then eeeeck
all the traveling takes it toll in the end AND AS YOU SAY COST OF LIVING IS GOING UP you will have to ask for the pay rise you've been promised

well live in hope lol

supakva
9th Jun 2008, 09:51
Any news on how long todays test flight will be,are the CAA there so it can do its DA test.
Thanks.:)

Rigger1
9th Jun 2008, 11:18
I think Mr T and Mr W will get the DA.

What about Mr McD?

Wycombe
9th Jun 2008, 12:46
According to posts on other fora, got airborne from Brunty at about 1230L.

Not near enough to personally validate I'm afraid.

Hansard
9th Jun 2008, 12:52
It flew past 15 minutes ago. What a magnificant sight.

gareth herts
9th Jun 2008, 13:22
Landed after a 2 hour sortie apparently.

KarlADrage
9th Jun 2008, 16:28
A handful of shots from her little adventure:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/KarlADrage/080609%20Bruntingthorpe/IMG_8972.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/KarlADrage/080609%20Bruntingthorpe/IMG_3928.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/KarlADrage/080609%20Bruntingthorpe/IMG_3934.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/KarlADrage/080609%20Bruntingthorpe/IMG_3940.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/KarlADrage/080609%20Bruntingthorpe/IMG_3944.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/KarlADrage/080609%20Bruntingthorpe/IMG_3946.jpg

Dysonsphere
9th Jun 2008, 16:32
nice pic so how was the test flight anyone know.

TEEEJ
9th Jun 2008, 17:10
Lovely work, Karl. :ok::D

Was there a chance for any air-to-air photography during the flight?

Congrats to all involved in the project!

Cheers

TJ

KarlADrage
9th Jun 2008, 17:42
Was there a chance for any air-to-air photography during the flight?

TEEJ, someone went up in a Piper Aztec to do some. Not sure who it was though.

G4136
9th Jun 2008, 20:23
The camera ship was G-FLAK. The shoot was for Pilot Magazine.

Green Flash
9th Jun 2008, 21:59
Over the trees and through a cornfield; almost got a feel of bolt hole/dispersal about it, lobbing in to some remote strip before the Blinders and Bears visit home plate. Nice pics.

TEEEJ
9th Jun 2008, 22:17
Thanks Karl & G4136.

Cheers

TJ

ZH875
10th Jun 2008, 07:55
At last, someone has moved RAF Marham to a different part of the country, makes it a nicer place to go to.

The vintage bomber took off from Bruntingthorpe in Leicestershire and flew over Rutland Water and Marham in North Lincolnshire.

Did they do a swap for RAF Scampton?.

Article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7444984.stm)

A final decision is expected in about four weeks' time. It is hoped the plane will be on display at the RAF Waddington air show on 5 and 6 July.

It looks like they are trying to emulate the RAF of the future:
We're the proud owners of a one-aircraft airline.

rhinovulcan
10th Jun 2008, 11:12
Update posted on the tvoc website

http://www.tvoc.co.uk/

Six flights completed now over to the CAA

Well done to all concerned.

GK430
10th Jun 2008, 19:37
Hearing 4 x Olympus at take-off power once again - speechless!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/G-VLCN.jpg
Everyone I know wants to see 558 at some of this summer's shows, come on
sponsors, you'll have thousands of fans eating out of the palms of your hands.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/G-VLCN-1.jpg

jindabyne
12th Jun 2008, 21:42
Swinging Monk

Tad harsh?

BEagle
13th Jun 2008, 16:15
Still no sign of Tombstone and his rose......

The man hath no honour.

aviate1138
13th Jun 2008, 18:31
I suggest the variety Rosa Albertine - pansy pink, incredible perfume, wicked thorns!

supakva
20th Jun 2008, 20:28
Blimey, its the first time this thread has slipped to page 3 in months!!! Hope people are not loosing interest in this plane.
Anyway, anybody got any news on mondays flight? my spy on the ground says there's been a change of plan, it was going up in the morning, is this still the case?. Do we know if the CAA are at Brunty. Disgruntled are you out there or has Rusty put a hit on you.

Oh and for all the tvoc management that read this,we all know you do. Thanks for the heads up on your website and any others last week, it seems you were featured in a hour long show on the history channel on sky about YOU TVOC restoring the Vulcanback to flight.

Now i know it was a repeat and only featured last years first flight but surely any advertising on tv is good advertising and you should make the most of this and let people know when these programs are on. Put a large banner on your home page, or even post it on here FFS. Anybody would think you don't need 50 k a month.
pi55 up in a brewary comes to mind!!!!!!!.

Rant over............

TEEEJ
22nd Jun 2008, 08:30
NOTAM is out for Monday 23rd June.

It covers the period 1000 to 1800.

Cheers

TJ

Bill Macgillivray
22nd Jun 2008, 18:46
:ok:Well done to all who have stuck at this project through good and bad times and made it a reality. It is now up to the CAA to realise that people want to see 558 on THIS years circuit and try and get the necessary paperwork out in a timely manner ! Once again , WELL DONE !!

Vulcan 903
23rd Jun 2008, 07:57
Departure is 11am.

The CAA have promised to review the permit application as a matter of urgency. No cutting corners as we would expect, nor would we want corners cut.
It will be up to VTTS then to make the most of the revenue generating from air shows in 2008 - thats £50k every month of the year until someone stomps up the operating costs for the machine.

Dis Gruntled
23rd Jun 2008, 09:31
Heard it was a radio problem flight primarilly, at midday, and the DA flight has huge question marks over it due too insurance and whos cover it will be on. Perhaps a member of TVOC could answer this one.

Evanelpus
23rd Jun 2008, 14:03
Its up and down.

Apparently it was to give Martin Withers some 'stick time', not a test flight or anything like that.

G4136
24th Jun 2008, 19:52
New announcement from Dr Pleming on VTS website www.tvoc.co.uk

supakva
25th Jun 2008, 08:34
Just looking at the vulcams they have the vulcan up on jacks any problems?.
We noticed when it landed back at brunty there was some people checking the left hand rear tyres or undercarraige, they even got the pilot to move the aircraft so they could check the rear tyres, fod??.

Maybe they are looking for the lost rubber stamp :p

whitworth
25th Jun 2008, 09:14
No problems, just scheduled NDT on the legs

ZH875
25th Jun 2008, 09:37
We noticed when it landed back at brunty there was some people checking the left hand rear tyres or undercarraige, they even got the pilot to move the aircraft so they could check the rear tyres, fod?

It was standard practice when seeing aircraft in, to check tyres for fod damage or wear, and the aircraft is moved forward less than 1 full tyre revolution, after the check, then a recheck was done, to ensure that a damaged area was not hidden where the tyre was in contact with the ground.

scribbler614
27th Jun 2008, 15:00
After recent uncertainty, some good news - at least for now.
This has just been sent out by XH558's press people. (Goes on a bit - have only pasted half of press release)

Vulcan Saviour Gives Delta Wing a Prayer

Just as it seemed that the 15 years and £7 million spent to restore the
world's only remaining Vulcan bomber to full serviceability would be in
vain, a sponsor has come in at the 11th hour and given the project a
temporary reprieve. Aerobytes Ltd., which supplies flight safety and
fuel saving software to the aviation industry, has responded to the
Vulcan to the Sky Trust's (VTST) pleas for financial assistance by
swelling the coffers enough to ensure that the iconic aircraft can
appear at this year's Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford (12 –
13 July) and Farnborough International (14 – 20 July) airshows – subject
to the UK CAA granting XH558 a Permit to Fly and a Display Authorization.

Despite her glorious return to flight last year and the successful
completion of all test-flights required by the UK CAA, the major
sponsorship required to secure the Vulcan's long-term future has not yet
materialised. Thousands of supporters have consistently rallied to keep
the project afloat, but despite their generosity, the money coming in
has only been sufficient to keep the team ticking over.

If this situation had continued it would not have been possible for the
Vulcan to appear at airshows and have the chance to attract the major
sponsors it so critically needs. The VTST was in a Catch 22 situation.
Almost unthinkably, the project would have achieved its goal of
restoring XH558 to flight status and subsequently then had to close
owing to a lack of funding before ever having flown her in front of her
expectant public audience. Having come this far, the only airworthy
Vulcan on the planet would have been grounded forever.

Then, in the Vulcan's darkest hour, Aerobytes came to the rescue.
Managing Director Eddie Forrester has been a long-term sponsor of the
Vulcan and simply couldn't bear to stand by and see her reduced to a
museum novelty. Through donations and pledges for an undisclosed sum,
Aerobytes has now provided the financial stability required to keep
XH558 operational at least until the end of the summer.

Aerobytes supplies Flight Safety (FDM/FOQA) and Fuel Saving software to
nearly one hundred airlines worldwide and is considering the possibility
of pledging a proportion of revenue from its Fuel Saving software to
keep the Vulcan flying in future.

Despite the apparently good news, Eddie was quick to point out that
Aerobytes alone cannot save the Vulcan:

"Without our assistance, XH558 would not have the chance to fly this
summer season, or potentially ever again. We are just one part of a
devoted team of supporters though, and without continuing support from
others funds will run out before September and there will be dire
consequences. If there was ever a time to donate to the Vulcan, it is now."

"It's essential that a major sponsor is found in the next two months and
that is one reason why we put up the money. XH558 must appear on the big
stages of Fairford & Farnborough so that potential sponsors can realise
the fantastic opportunity she represents as a publicity platform. It is
one thing to see a photograph of a Vulcan, but something completely
different to experience one for real. The size, shape, performance and
noise are truly breathtaking. When she performs her 'first' display,
nobody who witnesses it will talk about anything else for days."

BEagle
27th Jun 2008, 15:22
BRILLIANT!!!

Many thanks to Eddie Forrester and all at Aerobytes!!

Welcome to Aerobytes - The only FDM/FOQA software with built in QA tools (http://www.aerobytes.co.uk/index.htm)

Now she shall go to the ball!

RETDPI
27th Jun 2008, 15:31
True , but we all know what's likely to happen at midnight...............

BEagle
27th Jun 2008, 15:41
If it's anything like an OM Summer Bollock, probably a quick knee-trembler on the way home.....:E

Tyres O'Flaherty
27th Jun 2008, 16:14
by 'eck I do hope it's going to be at RIAT on the sunday :ok:

Vim_Fuego
27th Jun 2008, 17:33
Although I only skim read the article I'm fairly sure there is no mention of attending Waddington airshow...This being the airshow advertising it's appearance on radio and poster...

airsound
27th Jun 2008, 20:01
There's some more of the Aerobytes announcement that I think bears repeating on PPRuNe.

Eddie Forrester (MD) goes on to say
For me personally, the most important point is that a group of dedicated individuals managed to perform the 'impossible'.

Inevitably, the doubters have always been lurking in the shadows - all too quick to write this off as another impossible dream and assert that none of us should waste time with intangible and abstract things such as aspirations, visions or fantasies. I strongly believe that this type of negative-thinking is slowly strangling our society and that it accounts for many commercial and personal failures in the UK every day. It helps to explain why we can no longer produce miracles of engineering like Concorde or TSR2.

Consequently, I am proud beyond words that the Vulcan team has weathered the storm and now has something so beautiful and so noisy with which to send doubters scuttling back under their rocks for a long time to come.

I sincerely hope that young people over the coming years will see this aircraft, learn how she was saved and be inspired. I want them to learn that 'impossible' normally means 'lazy', 'excuse' or 'no imagination' and that they are entirely capable of achieving just about anything so long as they apply enough intelligence, imagination and courage.

In short, we are very proud to support the return of XH558 to the sky as magnificent proof that 'impossible' is a much over-used word. This is a lesson that tomorrow's engineers and managers will hopefully remember and apply in later life."

Vim Fuego - sad to say, you're partly right about Waddo. With some very good will from CAA (in allowing a ferry flight), she may be there, but she won't be permitted to fly a display.

airsound

BEagle
27th Jun 2008, 20:05
Damn right, airsound - and what a fine chap Eddie 'Vulcan' Forrester certainly is!

I want them to learn that 'impossible' normally means 'lazy', 'excuse' or 'no imagination' and that they are entirely capable of achieving just about anything so long as they apply enough intelligence, imagination and courage.

And, in Tombstone's case, a rectal rose. Allegedly. He bottled out of supplying the proof, so is clearly not a gentleman who honours his word.

Unlike 'Our Eddie'!

pr00ne
27th Jun 2008, 23:51
BEagle,

PLEASE! Let your obsession with this young man's bottom go..................

hurn
28th Jun 2008, 08:54
Eddie posted this over at TVOC forums regarding displays:

Based on everything I know:-

Waddington = possible but only static

Fairford = probable display

Farnborough = almost certain display

Dunsfold = certain display (my home village)

Seeing the Vulcan over Dunsfold is going to be rather special. :ok:

Biker Boy
29th Jun 2008, 17:25
Airsound,

Why so definite the Vulcan won't be allowed to fly at Waddington??

TVOC have a "Serviceable" aircraft, the organisers are expecting us, we have personnel and materiel allocated and plans made. We intend to take her home after a very long absence, all we require is:

1. CAA Permit to Fly.
2. Display Authority for pilot/s.

Assuming MA have submitted the paperwork, the above could still be achievable with CAA co-operation. :ok:

We live in hope, but it is a paperwork exercise and is genuinely beyond our control.;)

Treble one
29th Jun 2008, 18:29
Can someone explain to me why a Vulcan bomber is allowed to do several test flights in a bid to get a permit to fly, but then has to sit on the ground after successfully completing it's test flight programme waiting for a permit to fly?

Airsound mentions the possibility of an appearance at Waddo with some goodwill from the CAA to allow a ferry flight. So what's the difference is doing a transit flight to Waddo AFTER successful completion of a test flight programme, and doing ferryflights to Cottesmore for a compass swing DURING a test flight programme?

Sorry, but this doesn't seem to make any sense to me.:ugh:

spekesoftly
29th Jun 2008, 18:57
Flights undertaken as part of a test flight programme to gain certification or permit are an essential part of the process. Any other flight is not, and requires dispensation.

We are hopefully assuming that the Vulcan test flight programme was successful, but won't know for certain until all the paperwork has been scrutinised and the permit has been granted.

Vulcan 903
30th Jun 2008, 13:10
Departure to Waddington 14.00hrs Thursday 3rd July. No confirmation that it will be airbourne for the air show weekend though!

G4136
1st Jul 2008, 18:04
F1 British GP Silverstone :hmm:

Linedog
1st Jul 2008, 19:03
Now that would be something special..................:D

airsound
2nd Jul 2008, 06:03
Biker Boy
Why so definite the Vulcan won't be allowed to fly at Waddington??
You're partly right, BB - I should have remembered one enduring facet of the Vulcan project. It's like the British wx - if you don't like it, stick around, and it'll be different.

When I posted on 27 June, I chose the word 'permitted' carefully. I was distinguishing between the Permit to Fly, which, with good will, looks like happening in good time, and the Display Authorisation, which last week looked practically impossible in time for the show.

Now, without in any way committing myself, or anyone else come to that, I now believe it might be slightly less than impossible. I'm not sure I'd dare go firm on a definite maybe, but.....

I think I should give up forecasting. And stick around in case things get to be different

airsound

4mastacker
2nd Jul 2008, 12:42
Just been announced on BBC East Midlands Today (live at Bruntingthorpe)that permission has been granted to fly to Waddo tomorrow. :ok:

staplefordheli
2nd Jul 2008, 12:55
yeah
i saw it to
great news, now i dont have to get up at 3 in the morning and drive to RIAT!
filmed it when it made the last flight over RAF cottesmore in the 90's when it "retired" but managed to miss all the test flights since the rebuild!

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Jul 2008, 14:13
And a bit more.

Breaking news live on BBC EMT
Vulcan xh558 has at 13:35 been cleared by the CAA for airshow displays and will be appearing at this weekends RAF Waddington airshow along with RIAT and Farnborough later on.

S'land
2nd Jul 2008, 14:30
Well done to all who made this possible. I look forward to arranging a trip back to the UK that coincides with one of the displays as I need to have some dental fillings shaken out.

GeeRam
2nd Jul 2008, 14:37
That just indicates the a/c has been cleared by the CAA to fly to Waddo for static display as we expected........

But.........can the pilots get a DA in time to display.......less likely, but should do by RIAT I would have thought.

Vulcan 903
2nd Jul 2008, 14:43
Maybe they can do the DA on Friday? Would the CAA be on site or do they not get involved in MOD run air shows?

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Jul 2008, 15:17
It is not a question of MoD run displays. Plenty of civvy aircraft there, and all come under CAA regs.

A DA authority/approval is given only after the examiner has 'tasted' the display.

Vulcan 903
2nd Jul 2008, 16:19
Suggest checking this - it's updated at 01.00hrs each night.

GINFO Search Results | Aircraft Register | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detail&aircrafttype=vulcan&dataindex=3)

bit-twiddler
2nd Jul 2008, 18:59
Got told at work today that Waddington should be doing some sort of press release tomorrow w.r.t. 558 - should get some more info then.

This was after the BBC news link BBC NEWS | England | Vulcan may join ground show (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7485852.stm) appeared.

Over on the Tvoc forums there seems to be a bet going for having 'Welcome home' painted on the runway :)

Wycombe
3rd Jul 2008, 15:10
According to other fora and the TVOC website, the Permit to Fly has been granted today :ok:

She is due off shortly from Brunters for an arrival Waddo 1700L apparently.

In that case, looking forward to seeing her at RIAT next weekend, flying if the DA can be sorted, let's hope!

sluf goat
3rd Jul 2008, 15:14
Yep, due at Waddington 1700L, will be a pleasure to see.:O

gareth herts
3rd Jul 2008, 15:32
Straight off TVOC website.....

XH558 is today destined to receive its all important “Permit to Fly” from the Civil Aviation Authority and this will allow her to fly to RAF Waddington and to appear on static display at the Show, to be seen by the many thousands who will visit.

Wycombe
3rd Jul 2008, 16:01
....there is now also talk of the required 3 DA iterations being done this afternoon upon arrival at Waddo.

If true, that is "down to the wire", or what? :ok:

FCWhippingBoy
3rd Jul 2008, 16:54
OK, how annoying is this ...

I can hear her on the wind when she powers up, I can even see her in the distance from the bedroom window when finals Rwy 20, but ...

a) The camera doesn't zoom quite enough to get a decent pic :(

and

b) We've got visitors for the weekend (just arrived), so a trip to Waddo is out of the question right now! :ugh:

And to make matters worse, listening to Waddo TWR, and the noises from Waddo direction, sounds like they *ARE* doing some display stuff! :sad:

Just called complete Rwy 20, now about to start on 02! Could this be the iterations that Wycombe mentioned? Here's hoping she will be flying on Sat/Sun :)

Old Ned
3rd Jul 2008, 17:07
She passed overhead 2 minutes ago. Sorry, a tear slid down this gnarled old cheek!

Pip Pip ON

FCWhippingBoy
3rd Jul 2008, 17:07
Now complete.

Finals Rwy 20, Gear Down!

What a sight ... Welcome home, Old Girl!

Well done to all at TVOC :D

And whilst I type ... message from TWR to Vulcan Charlie November ... "contact CAA representative on Ext 7xxx ... nothing to worry about!"

Reply from 558 ... "That's encouraging!"

Perhaps this is the good news we all want?! You can't help but hope, eh?

ricardian
3rd Jul 2008, 17:45
Lincolnshire Echo reports "Restored Vulcan bomber XH558 is flying to RAF Waddington and is expected to arrive at about 5.40pm. It received its permit to fly from the Civil Aviation Authority just over an hour ago."
this is lincolnshire- news, entertainment, jobs, homes and cars (http://tinyurl.com/6esxtl)

hurn
3rd Jul 2008, 18:07
Someone has just Posted on the TVOC forum....

DISPLAY AUTHORISATION GRANTED!Yep. Flew into Waddington in formation with The Blades, then performed the necessary displays to gain DA status from the CAA.

The Vulcan will be displaying this weekend at Waddington, subject to the usual.

Who'da thought it! :ok:

It's Life Jim 208
3rd Jul 2008, 18:14
It has just been anounced on BBC Look North and confirmed in a live interview with Dave Thomas that the CAA have given permission to display at Waddington this weekend. The Vulcan did a few overshoots and flybys of the runway just before 1800hrs before landing (watched it from my bedroom window).

Its on the ground there now. A few questions if anyone knows please. What time is it programmed into the display programme, I'm on nights on Friday and Saturday and won't finish until 0700hrs, it would be nice to get a few hours kip before i go up the hill on Sunday.:ok:

andrewmcharlton
3rd Jul 2008, 18:24
Was on way home from trip to France with the Mrs and saw forum messages about Waddo as we passed the Ram Jam. Quick divert to see 558 coming in over the trees smoking in the climb. Caught loads of snaps from a couple of miles away and some close ups later.

Worth every penny and every moment of frustration. Heartfelt congats and thanks to everyone can't wait for Sunday and next week at RIAT. I will upload a few pics later tonight if they look ok or pm me. Can drive back to Northumberland smiling now.

Tremendous.

iank
3rd Jul 2008, 18:24
Congratulations to all who have contributed financially or otherwise to this project over the last 15 years.

Yes, some of us doubted this day would happen but the guys and gals with the tools proved they could do what they said they would - so very well done to you all.

The smile on DT's face as he was interviewed - priceless, good luck with the next few weeks sir!

Lastly, one name has been missing from the regulars here since the start of the year, and he has a promise to keep (or prove that he kept it) - Tombstone. C'mon mate - no shame in losing a straight bet!! :uhoh:

FCWhippingBoy
3rd Jul 2008, 18:37
I hoped that message on the Waddo TWR freq was good news! Well done :D

Is anybody posting any pics yet? Mine aren't worth it - taken from the bedroom window in Lincoln City Centre. She's just a spec in a large patch of sky, even on full zoom! If you enlarge the pic enough, you can just make out the blurred outline of a Vulcan!

Roll on Saturday :ok:

Edit: Link to BBC Look North Interview ---> BBC NEWS | England | Vulcan Bomber returns home (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7488658.stm)

GK430
3rd Jul 2008, 19:02
Two from last month - hope the sun shines sometime over in Lincolnshire this coming weekend.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/Vulcan-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/Vulcan-1-1.jpg

BEagle
3rd Jul 2008, 19:04
pr00ne, concerning Tombstone, you wrote:

BEagle,

PLEASE! Let your obsession with this young man's bottom go..................

I can assure you, you old hippy, that the bottom of Miss K Minogue OBE holds far greater attraction. For 'tis a thing of sculpted beauty....:E

But Tombstone made a promise. As an hossifer and jellymould, he should keep a promise.

Anyway, great news from Waddo!

Incidentally, one hears on the grapevine that the Blades formation thing is a deal to attract some sponsorship dosh. I just hope that won't gobble up too much fatigue....:hmm:

TSR22
3rd Jul 2008, 19:40
Well done to all at TVOC - It's been a long time coming but well worth the wait! :ok:

I'll be there in the crowd when she flies again - yipppppeeeeeeeee:E

P.S. Lets also say a big thanks to the company that gave a load of money to help XH558 through this season - cheers guys - you deserve a big round of applause!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D etc etc

Cornerstone958
3rd Jul 2008, 20:04
Great news! Can't get to Waddo but looking forward to Fairford so don't BREAK IT!!
Pritty please:)

sunshine band
3rd Jul 2008, 20:08
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/STICKMONKEYTAMER/558wad1800.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/STICKMONKEYTAMER/558land1800.jpg

Guess who turned up at Waddington today??

SB

harrogate
3rd Jul 2008, 20:29
With a nice power climb to finish with...

YouTube - Vulcan XH558 at Waddington 3/7/08 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASMMJGeI6i4)

harrogate
3rd Jul 2008, 20:41
It's still up there for me, mate.

Could be the last?
3rd Jul 2008, 20:47
Yep, it's still there and looking pretty good.:D

Polikarpov
3rd Jul 2008, 20:49
Phew, it's now working; not quite sure what was going on there but excuse the panic'd over-reaction on my part. Have removed original post. Beautiful to see, everyone involved must be so thrilled with the display approval.

:ok:

Blacksheep
3rd Jul 2008, 20:56
T'ain't how I remember them. Minus the evil intent, a V Bomber doesn't quite cut it somehow. Its just like me, a sad old relic... :(

forget
3rd Jul 2008, 21:44
T'ain't how I remember them.

Me neither, something missing. ...... and I do like your 'Minus the evil intent'.

XL319
3rd Jul 2008, 22:37
I'm in two minds whether to go to Waddo, as it's forcast terrible weather, but I would love to see the Vulcan display.....would be worth the money just to see that

Flying Signman
3rd Jul 2008, 23:57
With the fantastic news of XH558 being available for Display at Waddington this year, here are various ways for anyone interested in her long term future to get involved..... (if you are not already that is)

http://www.tvoc.co.uk/downloads/Newsletter%20June%202008.pdf

FCWhippingBoy
4th Jul 2008, 06:35
I'm in two minds whether to go to Waddo, as it's forcast terrible weather, but I would love to see the Vulcan display.....would be worth the money just to see that
It's forecast rain both days according to metcheck.com (http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp?zipcode=waddington) :(

Do I?

Don't I?!

Green Flash
4th Jul 2008, 09:50
Do you?

Don't you?

Tricky call. Now, just run the sound of 4 howling Olympus engines through your mind .... see you there!:)

Sentry Agitator
4th Jul 2008, 09:53
It is a glorious day today at Waddo and looking at the public viewing area from my office it is chocka block of enthusiasts!

The BUFF has arrived and the Halcones have just done their session.

It is gonna be a mighty fine day for all that are here....such a shame it won't be as good tomorrow or Sunday.

SA

Gainesy
4th Jul 2008, 10:12
Looking at Harrogate's vid, I felt a bit sorry for the other Vulcan just sat there. How about if we had a whip round and...:)

forget
4th Jul 2008, 10:14
The BUFF has arrived

Is that the one that should've gone to Newcastle?

FCWhippingBoy
4th Jul 2008, 11:15
just run the sound of 4 howling Olympus engines through your mind

Well now you put it like that .... Of course I'll be there, just try and stop me! :}

r supwoods
4th Jul 2008, 11:44
I have spent many an airshow in my youth taking shelter under a Vulcan ... along with 2-300 others.

It's Life Jim 208
4th Jul 2008, 11:50
Sentry,

Is 558 going to do a practice display this afternoon do you know ? I'm on nights tonight but I'll stay up and watch her from the bottom of the hill if she's going up.

Does anyone know if the run through that they did on arrival at Waddington yesterday evening was the full display or is DT going to be doing some of the Joe L'estrange climbs and chandelles at all in the full display? In my time there for 5 Airshows the CAA Display Manager would approve some of the displays on the Friday, I'll never forget the Mig 29 rolling inverted over the bomb dump trying to keep below the cloud base and almost running out of air !

Can anyone help with what time they are putting the Vulcan into the Display Programme on Sunday Please.

Rick S

PS Good Luck to everyone working at Waddo over the weekend especially the SATCO and ATC team.

Horrible Little Man
4th Jul 2008, 12:15
And on Saturday? Is she flying both days?

iansmith
4th Jul 2008, 14:16
Can't go Saturday (the balance of the half dozen forecasts I checked hinted this might be the better day). Can go on Sunday, but with significant difficulty, and would if I knew I'd see her display. I'm then away for July so will miss Fairford (my favourite) and Farnborough. So - what do I do?

Is there any realistic chance she'll appear anywhere else this year? Maybe Duxford in September?

gearontheglide
4th Jul 2008, 15:44
Vulcan Plot: (Local Times)

Sat T/O 1530, Vul / Lanc Fly thru, Vul Disp, Land 1605.

Sun T/O 1340 to Shawbury for Fly Past and return, Vul / Lanc Fly Thru 1450 then Vul Display, land 1520.

All weather / plague of frogs permitting of course!

bit-twiddler
4th Jul 2008, 16:07
And on Sunday afternoon, rumour has it, the display might involve the Scampton bunch (who would be doing the British GP Sunday morning and so would not be able to do the same morning slot they occupy on Saturday).

As they did 3 run throughs yesterday in about half an hour then I imagine the real display will be longer if scheduled for 30 mins.

Horrible Little Man
4th Jul 2008, 16:07
Just the job, many thanks!

Old Ned
4th Jul 2008, 18:32
Gainesy,

The "other Vulcan" on the ground at Waddington (the rear gate guard on the A15 opposite the old SSA), is none other than "Vulcan 607" the beauty that Martin Withers flew on Op Black Buck to Port Stanley in Apr 82.

And yes she did look a little sad, I do hope she is mentioned during the air show and is given a small part of 558's glory.

Pip pip ON

bubblesuk
4th Jul 2008, 22:02
Evening!

Thought you boys and girls would like to know that theres a pic of the Permit posted on the T.V.O.C. courtusy of Mr Taff "smiler" Stone.

Gainesy
5th Jul 2008, 05:59
Ned,
Thank you, I didn't know it was that aircraft. She should really be inside someplace.

Old Ned
5th Jul 2008, 09:28
Gainsay,

Agreed, but she is "only" a sad gate guard. A museum should grab her. Exchange for one already held at Hendon or Cosford?

Now there's a challenge!

Pip Pip ON

forget
5th Jul 2008, 09:47
Agreed, but she is "only" a sad gate guard.

Some people are never satisfied.

Old Ned
5th Jul 2008, 13:31
Forget,

Not sure if that was an attempt at wit, but I would be more satisfied if 607 was under cover and had some tlc rather than standing rather forlorn.

At least the airframe has been preserved (eg, not broken up), but perhaps Black Buck should be remembered (other than by Rowland White's book), by moving her to a museum?

Pip pip ON

forget
5th Jul 2008, 13:58
Not sure if that was an attempt at wit,

It wasn't an 'attempt' of any sort. A great deal of thought, time and money has been spent in giving 607 a permanent and appropriate display spot. If I'd personally grazed knuckles in the process I'd personally be pretty p*ssed off to hear the aircraft referred to as - only a sad gate guard.

PS. From one who personally grazed many a knuckle on 607 when Vulcan bellies were gloss white.

ZH875
5th Jul 2008, 16:21
Gainsay,

Agreed, but she is "only" a sad gate guard. A museum should grab her. Exchange for one already held at Hendon or Cosford?

Now there's a challenge!

Pip Pip ON

Cosford has XM598, which was the Prime aircraft for Black Buck 1, which returned early due to DV Window/Pressurisation problems. XM607 carried on and finished the raid, so Hendon should do the swap.

The Civvy Contractors on Waddington did a very good external refinish on XM607 last year :ok:, so she doesn't look as bad as she probably is.

Horrible Little Man
5th Jul 2008, 16:50
It was emotional :)

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/van/05072008301.jpg

exscribbler
5th Jul 2008, 19:27
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm250/exscribbler/IMG_5095.jpg?t=1215285887

Isn't she just beautiful? Pity the poor pilot of the French AF Mirage 2000C who was giving his all in an excellent display; he had our complete attention - until 558 started up and taxied out.

FCWhippingBoy
5th Jul 2008, 19:28
OK, apologies for the poor photography, I'm sure better examples will be posted before too long, however, I *DID* go to Waddo today, and I *DID* get wet, however, 'twas well worth the morning soaking to see the wx clear up perfectly for our graceful lady, and to hear that howl once again :)

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n273/fcwb/CIMG0180.jpg

And in formation with another Avro ....

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n273/fcwb/CIMG0203.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n273/fcwb/CIMG0202.jpg

Edit: Damn, thought I'd got the first pics up ... nice shot Scribbler, did you get any of the formation?

exscribbler
5th Jul 2008, 19:44
Thanks for the compliment, FCWB; you must have been fairly close to where I was standing. Here's one of a pair of Woodford's finest; it's not brilliant but it's the best I got.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm250/exscribbler/IMG_5090a.jpg?t=1215286846

FCWhippingBoy
5th Jul 2008, 20:20
Scribbler ...

More out of luck than judgement, I managed to bag a spot right on the crowd centre marker, and managed to get to the front in time for the one display that mattered, the inner geek was most happy with that one :8

The other half was quite content to take the micky whilst I juggled binoculars, scanner and camera, but all in all, it was more than worth it to get the few piccies I did.

exscribbler
5th Jul 2008, 21:10
Mrs Ex let me go without her. :ok: She's not that bothered about aircraft unless they're connected with holidays which I find odd as her father started his RAF life as a 76 Sqn pilot in 1938. My buddy saw to the scanner and binocular so I was free to eat... oh... and take photographs. :ok: :ok:

NURSE
6th Jul 2008, 07:43
I have to say I agree 607 is such a historically significant aircraft she shouldn't be left in the open in the hands of the Mod she should be in a Museum.
Hendon has one and doesn't have the space
Duxford as one
Cosford I think has one
How about it donated to Elvington with the lottery funding to build a Proper hanger for her.

Or get funding to build a Proper Hanger for Her on Waddington where she can be displayed.

Had discussion with a an ex RAF mate and we thought that the old special weapons compound would make an interesting museum to the cold war and the V force with 607 hangered in a proper museum hanger so her story and the events she took part in could be preserved.

nacluv
6th Jul 2008, 09:58
Great to be there for the first display - an "I was there" moment if ever there was one.

The show itself seemed a bit disjointed in organisation, but not too surprising considering the weather, particularly in the morning. That said, there was only one reason anyone was there, and the weather cleared up a treat ready for 558's display.

Moment of intense anticipation - couldn't confuse this apparition for anything else, could you?
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk252/kwilson1965/waddo2008/P6010192.jpg

Not wishing to be a bandwidth bandit, I have posted a few more pics on the "Waddo Show" thread here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/military-aircrew/333062-waddington-airshow-3.html#post4225994), so please have a look so I don't have to re-post them here too.

Hope today's show is as good.

Cheers, Nac

Rakshasa
6th Jul 2008, 10:20
You were saying something about a rose, Tombstone? :E

What a great sight. A big thank you and well done to eveybody who put so much time, money and effort into achieving this. :ok:

It's Not Working
6th Jul 2008, 10:26
Exscribbler

You have just supplied me with 2 new wallpapers, thanks (hope you don't mind). I am taken back 35 years to Scampton, sat in the the ILS Localiser building when I was treated to a 4-ship scramble, those 2 minutes have stayed with me all my life.

exscribbler
6th Jul 2008, 16:53
It's Not Working: No probs, mate. Glad to be of service; I've used the first one already but I'm still sorting out the photographs - after all I took 500+ so I must have one or two decent ones!

A propos of Mrs Ex and military aircraft it's fair to say that in 1968 she had an inkling of what may happen when we stayed in a motel in Saxilby on the way back from our honeymoon.

We ate at the Bridge Inn which was run by a retired Wing Commander who, it turned out, had been adjutant of 608 when my Dad was in the RAuxAF in the 30s.

He'd spent the war bidding for survival (Blenheims and Beaufighters and plenty in between) and at the end of the evening observed that there was flying at Scampton as the flarepath was lit. Off we went and spent an enjoyable hour sitting in our Ford Anglia on the old road (about where the viewing area is now) watching white-painted B1s(?) doing circuits and rollers. Truly the sound of freedom and to her everlasting credit she did not complain. :ok:

iansmith
6th Jul 2008, 18:03
558 went u/s today. Something about a "switchbox" for an altenator according to Barry (flight eng) on Airshow Radio. I was gutted as that was the only reason for me going this year (I shouldn't really have gone due to other commitments), but I recognise that safety of crew and plane must come first and I am sure it was the right decision.

iansmith
6th Jul 2008, 18:07
She did do a fast taxi run and Barry (and the rest of the crew) were obviousy extremely disappointed. In 8 years of Vulocan displays Barry had only had one no-show due to equipment failure so to have this happen on their second outing was a particularly bad blow. FWIW the type of part that failed had no significant history of problems over the life of the aircraft.

Diver_Dave
7th Jul 2008, 08:17
The BBC *MAY* have done it again

Last line..

BBC NEWS | England | Lincolnshire | Thousands watch Vulcan's display (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/7491918.stm)

I was thinking that would be the Victor but....

I could also be wrong but reading 607 a few months ago don't
remember anything.

There did used to be a link to send corrections but I can't see it anywhere.

DaveA

Fake Sealion
7th Jul 2008, 08:22
Diver Dave

No .....THIS TIME..... (!) the beeb are correct. A number of Vulcans were converted to tanking duties.

FS

forget
7th Jul 2008, 08:28
There did used to be a link to send corrections but I can't see it anywhere.

Just as well really. :bored:

Diver_Dave
7th Jul 2008, 09:12
:)That's why I checked first!:)

nacluv
7th Jul 2008, 09:15
Diver_Dave:

There were 134 Vulcans built and the plane also saw action during the Falklands conflictDepends on what is meant by "the plane". If you mean the Vulcan (generically) then the statement is (obviously) correct. If you mean 558 specifically, then this is not correct as it was not involved in Corporate - it was on MR duties at Scampton at the time I believe.

It's Life Jim 208
7th Jul 2008, 10:09
Does any one know please, when 558 is due to depart Waddo, I'm off today (supposed to be decorating the Kitchen) I could take a sneaky drive up there for a look see, especially as I went yesterday and was disapointed that she didn't fly.

The lady at the VTTS stall told me when I bought my BB Cap said that Mr Branson wasn't interested in sponsoring 558 because he doesn't want anything to do with military aircraft, is this true? Very sad if it is.

Rick S

Vulcan 903
7th Jul 2008, 10:24
With regard to Mr Branson - he knows the project, as does the Virgin Management, that consults with him on his business activites.
The Virgin Company best placed in the Virgin empire to sponsor is VA, however I made a formal approach 18 months ago to VA and the CEO came back to me, saying it is a wonderful project but not something VA could do with. This has been followed up by VOC, and get the same line.

Because the Virgin brand is so domiant in the UK, Virgin does not need brand awareness. Also Virgin as a whole will be the main sponsor to the London Marathon from 2010 - the reason behind that deal will be to encourage further fundrasing by the par takers of the marathon.

Virgin also have there own Charity - Unite.

So as a business - no way. As a personal donor, well it would be nice!

PAXboy
7th Jul 2008, 11:51
I realise that this is very new news but their website does not list where else she might display this year and if there is any static display in between times. If their site does contain such info, then two minutes of checking has not revealed it.

rhinovulcan
8th Jul 2008, 20:35
Unfortunately 558 has gone tech again this evening (Tuesday) at Waddington.

The pilot declared the aircraft unservicable before shutting down and requesting some transport.

With the two DA flights cancelled today it looks like Dave Thomas could be in high demand.

ZH875
8th Jul 2008, 21:08
If you mean 558 specifically, then this is not correct as it was not involved in Corporate - it was on MR duties at Scampton at the time I believe.

27 Sqn disbanded in March 1982, before Corporate, and 558 was on the strength of 50(B) Sqn during Corporate, and was one of the 6 airframes converted to the K2.

For those interested in what the Vulcan detachment got upto during Corporate, look here (http://www.raf.mod.uk/falklands/vulcdet_1.html) (four pages)

558 might have had a very short spell on 44(R) after 27 before moving across the airfield to 50(B).

Blacksheep
8th Jul 2008, 22:31
The pilot declared the aircraft unservicable before shutting down and requesting some transport.I did remark upon the unreliability of Vulcans in t'auld days, even given the massive support they enjoyed back then. For example there would be 22 aircraft out on the Waddington line (plus two in the shed) at any one time - including four bombed up and ready to go on QRA. There were two shifts with around eighty technicians each, struggling round the clock to keep the flying programme moving; this despite the fact that out of the available 18 or so aircraft there would always be half a dozen or more available to substitute for a grounded aircraft. Another couple of hundred techies in the sheds were doing relatively low level hangar maintenance in the shape of equalised Primary, Primary* and Minor checks - what the civil world would call A and C1/C2 checks. The proper heavy Minor* and Major checks were done at depots like Bitteswell.

In the present situation the JEngO would pick up the phone to SCAF and declare "VOG" and the parts would be hand delivered to the flight line within 24 hours maximum from wherever in the country they may be found - and that included manufacturers stocks. That level of support is no longer available, so we must expect a lot of last minute cancellations. Not the kind of service reputation that will get airshow organisers enthusiastic about paying for a Vulcan appearance - or not as the case may be.

TEEEJ
8th Jul 2008, 23:02
XH558 snaps from Waddington - 3rd, 5th and 6th July. Congrats to all involved with XH558!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/6a456216.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/b7f1c7b1.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/427435ba.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/51afc4a2.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/12de8679.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/38c801bc.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/31bcbd8e.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/db4bd5a9.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/b4c00650.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/8f15706e.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/4fd6a6d4.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/9472d83e.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/ebc7d3bd.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/c6abfa16.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/4408a7ba.jpg

I'll post some more tomorrow.

Cheers

TJ

PPRuNe Pop
9th Jul 2008, 05:26
Once again, wonderful pictures. Thanks TEEJ.

PPP

nacluv
9th Jul 2008, 08:04
Beautiful photos again TEEEJ. Many thanks.

ZH875 - thanks for the correction. I was blissfully ignoring the fact that there was perhaps a little bit more to Corporate than just the deployment to Ascension!

TEEEJ
9th Jul 2008, 08:13
Thanks for the comments.

Last lot from 3rd, 5th and 6th.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/f060306e.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/47bbc759.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/c5b34f04.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/dc3f3e39.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/0ca8a85c.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/8320f339.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/5e582db9.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/fe9894f0.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/6d4ea8b2.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/67ec3029.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/e2e0968a.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/e6a4b207.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/bc297c05.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/fe9e4650.jpg

Cheers

TJ

rhinovulcan
9th Jul 2008, 10:25
Incredible shots TJ. :D

I especially appreciate the taxi shots from Sunday. Your wet weather defences must have taken a battering.

I did remark upon the unreliability of Vulcans in t'auld days, even given the massive support they enjoyed back then.

And despite all that 558 only missed one show in several seasons of display flying prior to her retirement in '92

It's still early days in her new lease of life and hopefully all the 'snags' can be ironed out as and when they appear without losing too many displays.

JOE-FBS
9th Jul 2008, 12:00
Beautiful photo's especially the two with the Lancaster. Thanks very much.

Milt
9th Jul 2008, 12:14
Drool Drool

What I wouldn't give to hear myself say again as a final remark before brakes off "Fuel, Noise Let's Go"

What are the two little lights under the intakes and does it carry a braking parachute?

mystic_meg
9th Jul 2008, 12:33
What are the two little lights under the intakes and does it carry a braking parachute?
Almost certainly the anti-collision beacons, and I suspect that she does carry a 'chute, but as she's lighter than when in service, perhaps aerodynamic braking is the norm, to save the hassle of re-packing the 'chute?

Storminnorm
9th Jul 2008, 16:44
TEEEJ, I would just like to say "Thank you" for the
fantastic photos of XH558. Brilliant shots.
Took me back to '62 - '64. Happy memories.
Even my Mum enjoyed them! She's 89 and used
to make bits for the Lancaster radio racks.
Thanks again for a really good job!!!!:D

TEEEJ
9th Jul 2008, 22:19
Thanks very much for the comments.

Rhino, my poncho certainly came in very handy on the Sunday!

TJ

skeeler
9th Jul 2008, 23:01
:ok: TJ, Thanks for posting those fantastic photos. Definitely the best so far seen on the web to date. What camera/lens/settings were you using?:ok: