View Full Version : Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Vulcan 903
14th Apr 2008, 16:57
Updated from Auntie Beeb.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7347277.stm

Lancasterman
14th Apr 2008, 17:05
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QpnXCJffFRQ

f4aviation
14th Apr 2008, 17:29
And from the 04 end...

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/stuff/xh558a.jpg

Vulcan 903
14th Apr 2008, 17:38
DT has just given an interview on East Midlands today, false warning from an indicator on the APU. They are going to do a rover wash and check before they depart.
Why wait months for an update on the VOC web site when the Chief Pilot can tell you very quickly!

Lancasterman
14th Apr 2008, 17:46
Thanks for the update Vulcan 903! Good to hear it was only an indication and nothing too serious:ok:

Excellent pic of her approach!!:ok::ok:

nacluv
14th Apr 2008, 17:58
Top pics Al_R - and you too f4aviation! - many thanks indeed. My fav is the final approach with the smoke plumes trailing behind.

It's great to see a proper view of her undersides again.

Cheers,

Nacluv

Al R
14th Apr 2008, 17:59
Lovely shot F4. I'll have to keep an eye out for departure details. The arcs are better from 'my' end I think, and there'd be a few raised eyebrows on the A1 I guess. I was counting on a flypast but t'was not to be.

A few more. The Delta heat haze flaring shots remind me a little of those early Space Shuttle landings at Edwards. I understand that a Vulcan gang has put the photos up on a website, which is fine and I'm pleased that they are being shared by enthusiasts, but I'm stumped - does anyone have a link please? Cheers. :ok:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/m163.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/m206.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/m183.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/m044.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/m120.jpg

nacluv
14th Apr 2008, 18:05
Forgot to ask in prev post - why do the crash tenders have civvy registrations? I thought they would have mil ones, or am I a bit too far behind the times?

polyglory
14th Apr 2008, 18:17
Brilliant, many thanks for sharing the superb photo's:)

Exrigger
14th Apr 2008, 18:18
Al R the link to Vulcan to Sky is:

http://www.tvoc.co.uk/club_area.asp

But to get to the forum you need to join the club and then register for the forum.

The guy that posted the pictures hoped that you would not mind us seeing them on TVOC and when I saw them I then logged in here to see the others. Thanks by the way, they are cracking pictures (and f4aviation).

TEEEJ
14th Apr 2008, 18:20
Al R,

Great shots. We must have been inches away from each other?! Well done to all involved! A couple of snaps from myself.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/b5f87fcc.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/f041b39e.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/1297cc16.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/21f39f21.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/495afb45.jpg

Cheers

TJ

Shadwell the old
14th Apr 2008, 18:24
Tish tish

would have thought any AEO worth his salt could tell the difference between a false fire warning and the real thing.

Pete Solis would have failed me on a rig drill for less!!

No but seriously well done to all and a wonderful sight to see the lady back in the air where she belongs. Fantastic piccies from Al R and anyone else. Brings a tear to my eye.

Exrigger
14th Apr 2008, 18:36
More great pictures TEEEJ.
It is good to see the old girl flying again, what a great achievment, just need to keep the momentum going financially and make sure that this great aircraft gets back onto the airshow circuit, hopefully for a few more years to come.
Despite all the doubters, the club membership pulled out all the stops for the 'peoples aircraft' and have succeeded, though lets not forget all that the TVOC/Marshalls engineers and the aircrew have also done to achieve this as well.

Here endeth the party political broadcast on behalf of the TVOC membership, and keep those photos coming.

PFR
14th Apr 2008, 18:56
Why to Cottesmore?
Sorry if the questions be covered elsewhere...
Great work to all involved - marvellous achievement:ok:

sthomp1955
14th Apr 2008, 19:00
Assuming all is well with the APU overnight, is there a schedule of tests for this week? Is it worth going to Cottesmore Tues to see a take off and anyone know when 558 is due to return to Bruntingthorpe?
Al - Superb photos for all us supporters stuck at work and not able to be there. Well worth your trip home and back for the flask, must have been something good in it!

armouer231
14th Apr 2008, 19:04
Due to depart Wednesday so I believe..

hurn
14th Apr 2008, 19:07
PFR, its gone to Cottesmore for a Compass swing. (ie: callibration)

VAFFPAX
14th Apr 2008, 19:09
WOW. Those are beautiful. This haze shot is particularly stunning.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/m163.jpg

It's such a pleasure to see 558 back in the air!

S.

airsound
14th Apr 2008, 19:15
She's at Cottesmore for a compass swing on Tuesday (no compass base at Bruntingthorpe).

I understand that she completed about 90% of her test flight today, Monday. She will, with any luck, complete the remaining test flying on Wednesday, when she leaves Cottesmore and, 2 or 3 hours later, returns to Brunters.

airsound

armouer231
14th Apr 2008, 19:21
Yes compass swings tomorrow - though I didn't see a towbar there today so I'm not sure how they'll accomplish it! I'll be up at Cottesmore tomorrow and will try to get an answer on her expected departure time on Wednesday. Will post any info on here tomorrow.

PFR
14th Apr 2008, 19:22
Thanks Hurn & airsound....makes sense - good luck to the team for the remaining tests.. :D

forget
14th Apr 2008, 19:26
Yes compass swings tomorrow - though I didn't see a towbar there today so I'm not sure how they'll accomplish it!

Now think about it. What would a tow-bar and tug do to magnetic compass readings? Gerrit? :rolleyes:

Al R
14th Apr 2008, 19:27
TJ,

I was the fat c#nt in the Barbour and bush hat. Were you one of the two to my left? One of whom had a DPM wrap on the lens? Great shots - yours have a clarity that mine don't .. UV filter maybe or perhaps just a decent lens, or perhaps I'm just a spacker?!

I shall def be there on Wednesday. I'll do a recce of the Oakham end as well as the A1 end, but I'm inclined to think that 'our' end still offers the best potential. Approx 850 m behind where we were standing (a line from us, through the lamps and beyond), up the forward facing slope to the leading edge of the wood, would offer a staggering shot if she took off in that direction. You look ever slightly down on the airfield and her ascent would be far lazier and far more impactful as she climbed towards you. I shall recce that tomorrow too ("..if in doubt, recce out" :}). This possibly, could be the last time Cottesmore sees one of her own off. I wonder if there will be a flypast?

Ex R,

No probs - thanks for your post. I am pleased that the web has bought it closer to them and I'm flattered and not upset. I did throw some money 558's way 2 years ago, but I'm not a paid up member of any club, so I won't be able to get in there. C'est la vie. All the best to the team, and despite the probs that occasionaly and very publically crop up with her, she did them all proud today. Fingers crossed for her future. Find out about the flypast would you and let us know? You are now officially, my snitch. ;)

Al.

armouer231
14th Apr 2008, 19:32
Yes I know that! The thing is, the compass base is miles away from where she's currently parked on the VASS pan.. There was a bit of confusion as to where exactly she'd be parked overnight - initially she was giong to be over by the compass base on 'Golf' pan, but the RAF Police weren't happy with her being so out of the way and so hence she's now on the VASS pan where she can be watched over. Maybe they'll just fire her up and taxi her across?

Exrigger
14th Apr 2008, 19:46
PFR, I believe the original plan was to do the Compass Swing at Waddington but the Airfield has major work going on, so it might of been a bit of a problem at the moment, or at least that was my understanding from last year.

flipflopman RB199
14th Apr 2008, 19:54
armouer231,

There was indeed a towbar present, and it was fitted to 558 around 17:45.

Flipflopman

GBALU53
14th Apr 2008, 19:56
Do not quote me, doing compass swings in the past, the engines would be running at a certain power setting? with all electrical systems live?

Al R
14th Apr 2008, 19:57
What is a compass swing? I assume its for calibration for long distance navigation? Or something technical that won't involve swinging an 8lb lump hammer and therefore will be above my limited means.

Eagle402
14th Apr 2008, 19:58
Al R,

Am rofl at your self deprecating description of yourself to TEEJ !

Outstanding !!

And - the flare/heathaze shot gets better with every viewing. Congratulations and thanks again. I'm driving down from the grim north on Wednesday to see the old girl myself.

Eagle402

PFR
14th Apr 2008, 19:59
Thanks Exrigger. I'd been wondering about Waddington....Cheers PFR.

Al R
14th Apr 2008, 20:08
In that case Eagle, at the risk of turning it into a cake and arse party, and if time allows, we should all RV somewhere mebbe beforehand. Like in the pub.

That end of the runway is spectacular in summer for similar shots if flying is going on late. Especially if the sun is setting and the sky is alight.

Eagle402
14th Apr 2008, 20:16
Al,

Advise coordinates of said battlecruiser and I'll be there ! Have pm'd you re compass swing or at least my view. Am too much of a FNG on here to risk being AIM9L'd out of the sky !

Eagle402

armouer231
14th Apr 2008, 20:30
Ah - didn't notice the towbar! Sorry!

BEagle
14th Apr 2008, 20:34
Having sat and frozen my nuts off in a Tin Triangle during a compass swing at Scampton years ago, I can assure you that it took 3 of us and no engines were running. Just the AAPP and an AEO to keep an eye on the electrical panel, a pilot (me) to guard the brakes and do the E2B readings - and a fussy old woman of a nav plotter ('Watt the Plot') to read the main beam compass values.

3 $odding hours of being towed behind a tractor it took us!

Exrigger
14th Apr 2008, 20:44
Not much different from the ones on Nimrod and Tornado, oh how I loved being the tractor driver on Tornado compass swing with Houchin attached to it and a fussy avionics guy, not, especially the secondary headings?.

C152_driver
14th Apr 2008, 21:06
Al R, that heat haze shot is :mad: amazing.

If anything ever captured the "Science Fiction" shape of the Vulc better... And in 2008, no less! :ok:

f4aviation
14th Apr 2008, 21:24
Another one - apologies for the gaps between posts!

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/stuff/xh558b.jpg

forget
14th Apr 2008, 21:26
compass swing at Scampton years ago, I can assure you that it took 3 of us and no engines were running 3 $odding hours of being towed behind a tractor it took us!

Baffling. :confused: The aircraft is supposed to be as near as possible to flight state. Here from Kiwi CAA.

Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand
AC43.7 7 Revision 1.

Preparation. Prior to calibration the compass should be checked for general serviceability and it should be verified that angle of dip correction for the southern hemisphere has been made. The compass should be calibrated with;

• engine(s) running
• all equipment correctly stowed for normal operation
• all doors closed
• flight controls as closely as practicable to cruise position
• aircraft systems operating for normal cruise configuration, including—
• electrical systems
• navigation systems
• communications

Communications systems do not have to actually be transmitting or receiving during the calibration.

threeputt
14th Apr 2008, 21:29
APU running, MFS warmed up and the HRS spinning around. Nav Rad getting wet outside, with the theodolite thingy, whilst the plotter sat inside in the warm and did the Maths...Happy days...not!

3P:ok:

TEEEJ
14th Apr 2008, 21:46
Al wrote

TJ,

I was the fat c#nt in the Barbour and bush hat. Were you one of the two to my left? One of whom had a DPM wrap on the lens? Great shots - yours have a clarity that mine don't .. UV filter maybe or perhaps just a decent lens, or perhaps I'm just a spacker?!

LOL! No, that wasn't me. I had the DPM goretex jacket on. I use a prime lens with no filter. That heat haze triangle shot of your is superb. Mine didn't work out as the auto focus went hunt on the runway. I'll be there on Wednesday and trying for side on take off shots.

Great shots F4!

Cheers

TJ

Navy_Adversary
14th Apr 2008, 22:22
I bet Mr Walton feels a little lonely tonight, all those years having 558 tucked up at Bruntingthorpe, then tonight she's no longer there.:sad:

For all you photogs planning to be at 22 threshold for departure, just remember what happened when the B-1 hit full mil power when at RIAT.:)

Safety_Helmut
14th Apr 2008, 22:24
Baffling. The aircraft is supposed to be as near as possible to flight state.

Why is it baffling ? People who know how to swing an aircraft have told you how it's done. Nimrod swing done on compass base, towed around using specially adapted tug with bar to also pull Houchin. All systems were powered up. Engines spinning, engines stopped, still large chunks of metal. If you were really unlucky, you even had a Nav turn up.

Your average RAF compass base is not really suitable for taxiing your average large jet.

S_H

Vulcan 903
14th Apr 2008, 22:37
"For all you photogs planning to be at 22 threshold for departure, just remember what happened when the B-1 hit full mil power when at RIAT. "

Warm as toast comes to mind!

Flying Signman
14th Apr 2008, 23:22
Great photographs everyone:ok:

May I be so bold as to say, if we are to witness more of these - the best way of showing your appreciation is to visit the homepage of TVOC (available to view by all) and hitting the e-donate system with whatever you feel is appropriate. See www.tvoc.co.uk (http://www.tvoc.co.uk)

Many congratulations to all those involved from the supporters, engineers and crew - even the detractors. They only strive to push on the desire of many to realise the dream.

:D:D:D:D

Mark Nine
15th Apr 2008, 06:28
Doh! missed the 1000th reply.
Anyway, many congratulations and thanks to all those involved.
Just a throught, will this months rent at Bruntingthorpe be 2 nights cheaper and will Cottesmore's landing fee's take care of any cash back from Mr. Walton?

forget
15th Apr 2008, 08:15
People who know how to swing an aircraft have told you how it's done.:ooh:

You're quite right - (and hot dinners come to mind). They’d be people like the Kiwi CAA whose airlines pioneered pre INS/GPS trans Pacific flights. Dragging an aircraft around a surveyed compass base with a tug, tow bar, and running Houchin is ludicrous.

Your average RAF compass base is not really suitable for taxiing your average large jet.

A triumph of convenience over common sense. If you can tow it you can taxi it. Not that any of this matters to 558.

Pontius Navigator
15th Apr 2008, 09:15
If you drive it round the base you burn lots of expensive fuel.

If you have the engines burning and turning, what about the poor sod on the compass?

I hope that sense has prevailed and they are not doing a full-blown fourier12 pointer.

If they have an IN then I would agree simply fire it up and drive it round the compass base and do an IN swing.

anthonyw
15th Apr 2008, 09:22
worth a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiGiyQ1Wnvs

:D:D:D:D:D:D

FJJP
15th Apr 2008, 13:32
Well, for all of you doubters and that the Vulcan swing method was 'ludicrous', may I point out that the Vulcan Force achieved exceptional navigational and bombing accuracy against the USAF in the annual bombing competitions [Giant Voice]?

You don't get those high levels of success with a dodgy compass system.

Ergo, it worked...

Evanelpus
15th Apr 2008, 13:46
Giant Voice is correct.

I remember a Vulcan coming straight to Bitteswell from the bombing contest for maintenance. After it was jacked up we set about opening up all the fuel tanks only to be hypnotised by JP4, phew, that fuel had a smell all of it's own!!

SarBen
15th Apr 2008, 14:16
Has anyone managed to get an idea of take-off time tomorrow yet? My boss was very good about me leaving work at the drop of a hat yesterday, but I'd rather play it safe tomorrow to see the take off!

Al R
15th Apr 2008, 14:20
I'll echo Sarah's thoughts, does anyone have any decent info on timings (as well as take off direction and if there's going to be a circuit)? I was in Melton this morning, and I delighted in listening to 2 old boys chuckling about it. Shame that there's not wider publicity though, it'd be nice to see her slow traffic on the A1 again.

cliver029
15th Apr 2008, 14:58
FJJP

...that would be good old NBS:D

Cliver029

forget
15th Apr 2008, 14:58
Well, for all of you doubters and that the Vulcan swing method was 'ludicrous', may I point out that the Vulcan Force achieved exceptional navigational and bombing accuracy against the USAF in the annual bombing competitions [Giant Voice]?

Quite right, but Giant Voice aircraft, as with crews, were 'hand picked' over a lengthy period prior to the competition. During that time the Nav Plots produced their own correction cards - in the air. Change any compass component and the aircraft slipped back down the list.

Anyway, the FAA :hmm: says

b. Precautions. (2) Personnel engaged in the compensation of the compass shall remove all magnetic or ferrous material from their possession.

How'd your tug driver manage this. ;)

scan
15th Apr 2008, 15:25
Expected to depart 1400 local Wx dependant:ok:

Vulcan 903
15th Apr 2008, 15:54
I have been advised ETD 12.00. A lot of media coverage is expected.
I'm not sitting in front of the PC tomorrow, I'm popping out for some fresh air and a 266 mile round journey.

Al R
15th Apr 2008, 17:16
Any advances on 12:00 then?!

Cheers, hope to see some of you there. :cool:

hurn
15th Apr 2008, 17:30
A guy on another forum who works at the base says they were told 11.00am.
I would imagine though, thats the earliest it would depart, and wouldn't be surprised if it went later.

I suppose the best bet is to get there early and wait.

Vulcan 903
15th Apr 2008, 17:35
OK PPruners

BBC Radio 5 Live Interview at 07.15.
Live reports through BBC Breakfast from around 07.00
BBC Lunchtime News
BBC Evening News

Subject to any major news breaking item, the TV might can it in favour of the major news story.

Crew In 13.00
Depart 14.00

Enjoy the day!

dogandgun
15th Apr 2008, 18:22
2 nights free rent???? I am sure Mr Walton would have been quite happy with that if they had been kind enough to pay rent over the last year!!!!!

BEagle
15th Apr 2008, 20:32
It was indeed a spurious AAPP fire indication, the cause of which has been established. The aircraft has had a Rover wash and was fired up today - all was fine.

So, a quick romp around the compass base (nothing like the old MFS/HRS swings as the aircraft now has a much simpler system to befit the VFR-only role under which flights will be conducted), then a trip back to Bruntingthorpe tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing more piccies as good as Al R's - simply stunning, those were!

GBALU53
15th Apr 2008, 21:39
Great news to hear all is looking good again.

airsound
16th Apr 2008, 05:25
Update on BBC1 Breakfast today Wed 16 for you early birds. They'll probably show some pre-recorded pics in the 0700 news, and then have reporter Robert Hall live from Cottesmore around 0800.

Vulcan 903's caveat about major breaking news rendering all plans obsolete still stands!

airsound

Al R
16th Apr 2008, 06:22
I caught her 10 minutes ago on the BBC - not a bad piece. Weather in the area currently very foggy and crisp. Outlook seems ok too - looks like there might be a decent period late morning/early afternoon.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/em/oakham_forecast_weather.html

Al R
16th Apr 2008, 07:38
Just spoke with Air Traffic. As it stands, and keeping this simple for those who don't know the area too well, she'll be leaving towards the A1 end.

collindebe
16th Apr 2008, 07:38
BBC news 24 are covering live the build up to the test flight later today . Well done to everybody concerned .

GBALU53
16th Apr 2008, 07:52
On BBC 1 news Robert Hall Live in fthe og at Cottesmore did a report on the aircraft he atated hopefully an afternoon departure approx 1400 depending on the Fog burning off.
Good luck to all for another successful trip.

collindebe
16th Apr 2008, 07:56
BBC news 24 saying 1400 take off time weather permitting

nacluv
16th Apr 2008, 07:59
Just watched the BBC News24 piece - very good, and it's great to see that the publicity is finally getting somewhere!

I'd love to get down to Cott today, but I don't know the area very well, or how many cars the area and local roads can support. Pls can someone PM me and offer some advice? It would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Nacluv

Gainesy
16th Apr 2008, 08:00
Given that the all have jobs & other responsibilities, is it the same crew as for the first test flight?

Al R
16th Apr 2008, 08:15
I've PM'd you Nac.

But generally, if you're approaching via the A1, leave at the Ram Jam ( a few miles north of Stamford, and signposted RAF Cottesmore).

Heading North off A1

If you want to be at the A1 end of the runway, after leaving the sliproad off the A1, turn right at the junction (away from red Cott signage). After 300 metres or so, at the roundabout, take the first exit and follow that road for a mile and a bit. You should see a load of cars parked up on the verge, adjacent to landing lights in field.

Heading South off A1

Travel a mile or so past the exit marked South Witham and The Blue Cow Inn. Then leave at the Ram Jam exit (fuel station and Ram Jam Inn visible on your right, on other side of carriageway). At the bottom of the sliproad, take the 3rd exit off the roundabout, and head under A1. Immediately after that, you'll come to another roundabout. Ignore the first exit (red signage Cott), and take the second exit, and you'll be then on the 1.5 mile stretch of road as above.

The threshold and viewing area that I used the other day is just a 2 minute walk across a field (there's a stile and public footpath from the verge). You'll see the spotters. If you want to be at the other end, thats slightly more complicated. For ease of access, the A1 end is far simpler if you don't know the area. And better too, especially if she lifts at that end.

nacluv
16th Apr 2008, 08:28
From BBC News24 just now:

"Vulcan Falklands veteran to be on the flight deck this afternoon". Is Martin Withers taking the helm??? :ok:

4mastacker
16th Apr 2008, 09:16
Mrs 4ma has told me to leave the decorating for today and take her over to Cott. We were both at Scampton in the early 80's and have fond memories of the Vulcan. (There is a God after all, and I shall buy some lottery tickets as well.)

green granite
16th Apr 2008, 09:54
probably a bit late for some but a good airfield map with the best viewing points here: http://www.******************************/spotting/cottesmore.html

what is going on it wont post links correctly :ugh: just google "raf cottesmore" +viewing.

scan
16th Apr 2008, 10:01
Hi Folks,

Latest ETD 1330 local. Accurate gen as I work in ATC at Cott! :ok:

Al R
16th Apr 2008, 10:09
Cheers Scan. :ok:

Can you confirm that she'll still be leaving towards the A1?

XL391
16th Apr 2008, 10:13
From my guy at Cott, BBC news have on board cam. Now gone to a 1.30 take off according to him...

scan
16th Apr 2008, 10:19
The wind is currently favouring a 04 dep towards A1 :ok:

Al R
16th Apr 2008, 10:30
Many thanks.

exscribbler
16th Apr 2008, 10:49
BBC News 24 at 1400 and she should be on live.

I can't wait for Waddington in July! Mrs Ex is also very excited (for once) as she well remembers our honeymoon in 1968 when, following dinner at the Bridge in Saxilby, we went round to Scampton at 2230 to watch the Vulcans doing circuits and rollers. Big white bats, was how she described them as they taxied past shaking our little Ford Anglia.;)

Yes, just an old romantic, me. 40 years on and we're still at it - watching flying, that is...:ok:

XL391
16th Apr 2008, 11:01
Flight is to plan and is calling at Marham, Cambridge and landing at Bruntingthorpe.

OwnNav
16th Apr 2008, 11:11
METAR: EGXJ 161050Z 14005KT 9999 SCT015 07/02 Q1021 WHT
short-TAF: EGXJ 161042Z 161221 11007KT 9999 SCT020 BECMG 1214 SCT025 PROB30 TEMPO 1419 7000 -SHRA SCT020
long-TAF: missing

FCWhippingBoy
16th Apr 2008, 11:12
Does "calling at" mean "routing via" or "landing/rolling at"??

scan
16th Apr 2008, 11:18
He will def take off from 22 towards Oakham:D

XL391
16th Apr 2008, 12:01
Crewing In...

XL391
16th Apr 2008, 12:17
Beacons on...

XL391
16th Apr 2008, 12:24
AAPP Start...

XL391
16th Apr 2008, 12:27
Engines running..

Rocket2
16th Apr 2008, 12:30
God speed Babe - Good coverage on News 24 :ok:

FCWhippingBoy
16th Apr 2008, 12:33
From BBC News24 just now:

"Vulcan Falklands veteran to be on the flight deck this afternoon". Is Martin Withers taking the helm???

Just been on BBC Lunchtime News - Live! Looks like Martin Withers will be at the controls!!

XL391
16th Apr 2008, 12:36
Crew chief thumbs up...

XL391
16th Apr 2008, 12:38
taxying...

wg13_dummy
16th Apr 2008, 12:42
Live on BBC News 24.

The suspense is unbelievable!

:)

wg13_dummy
16th Apr 2008, 12:49
There she goes!

I think I've just shot me load. :D :D :D

PictureClear
16th Apr 2008, 12:50
Bravo, well done chaps :D

XL391
16th Apr 2008, 12:53
http://http://forums.airshows.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/vulcicon.gif

Wycombe
16th Apr 2008, 12:56
Well done Auntie Beeb for some good coverage, especially for allowing XH558 to be heard without any talking during the line-up and take-off.

Apparently they will cover the landing at Brunty also :ok:

Mark Nine
16th Apr 2008, 13:02
Top marks to the BBC for sticking with it despite the pause at the hold.:D
They even keep mentioning it on the weather.

The Helpful Stacker
16th Apr 2008, 13:03
The howl is the best bit for me.:ok:

exscribbler
16th Apr 2008, 13:03
Absolutely brilliant!

Tears? Of course. Sorry.

Silly old bu**er.

Toddington Ted
16th Apr 2008, 13:04
I was hoping that (amongst other things) the commentator would be quiet for the Vulcan take off - and he was and it sounded and looked great! Thanks to everyone who made it happen and to the BEEB for covering it so comprehensively - even the weather chap on BBC News 24 mentioned it.:ok:

Ramage21
16th Apr 2008, 13:13
Awesome take off. The howl of the intakes, and the whole thing had me blubbing as well.

Some good ol' boys on the flight deck today.

Nostalgia eh!

hurn
16th Apr 2008, 13:20
Undercarriage door stuck open apparently.

polyglory
16th Apr 2008, 13:21
It was great to see, no dry eyes either:ok:

Sook
16th Apr 2008, 13:21
There's been a minor problem with the U/C door and the crew have abandoned the test flight and are returning to Bruntingthorpe direct.

exscribbler
16th Apr 2008, 13:30
Nostalgia? Most certainly.

To indulge it still further, Mrs Ex and I are off to Doncaster in a moment to see Bittern go by on the ECML. I last saw that one on Gateshead shed in 1961.

Duchess of Sutherland looked good on Saturday roaring down the bank through Bolton-on-Dearne. Impressive? Yes, very, but not a patch on 4 Olympuses (Olympi?) at take-off thrust.:ok:

Hope that's not too much thread drift...

Checkflaps
16th Apr 2008, 13:42
Back on ground at brunty - chute streamed. All OK

Checkflaps

Wycombe
16th Apr 2008, 13:44
Safe landing at Brunty just shown live on News24.

Presumably that means they will need to have another go re. todays objective?

4mastacker
16th Apr 2008, 14:08
Managed to get to Cott and found a good place by the fence. A magnificant sight and sound on the ground and even better when she flew overhead. Well done guys. :D

VAFFPAX
16th Apr 2008, 14:33
Beeeoootiful!

*sigh* :ok:

S.

buccsociety
16th Apr 2008, 14:59
exscribbler: Nostalgia? Most certainly.

To indulge it still further, Mrs Ex and I are off to Doncaster in a moment to see Bittern go by on the ECML. I last saw that one on Gateshead shed in 1961.

I remember seeing Bittern last year just after she had finished being restored at The Watercrest Line, beautiful.

Flap 5
16th Apr 2008, 15:46
:D Would you believe there are those that questioned the restoration of this glorious piece of history. :rolleyes:

Now we just have to get that other one flying. Concorde. It would be wrong not to.

BEagle
16th Apr 2008, 15:52
Tombstone!

OH TOOOOMMBBBSTONE!

Where's the evidence of your rose session?

Al R
16th Apr 2008, 16:37
Well, she didn't blow me over, but she certainly rocked me about a bit.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/vulcan/m127.jpg

nacluv
16th Apr 2008, 16:39
Just got back from EGXJ. F*****g brilliant!! I was at the 22 threshold hanging on to the fence for dear life when she opened up. Best grit-blasting I've had in ages. Found my rucksack (eventually) about 1/2 mile away down the field!!

What a sight. :ok:

Best regards to all there - nice to meet several of you. See you at the next one?

Cheers, Nacluv.

Al - great pic (again!), I've got a very similar one with all the grass and sh1t flying past!!

FCWhippingBoy
16th Apr 2008, 17:09
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7350861.stm

Latest news from Beeb re u/c door and video of t/o & ldg

Also showing on BBCi News Multiscreen inc. interview with Martin Withers (press the red button!)

PS cracking shot Al :ok:

TEEEJ
16th Apr 2008, 17:54
A few snaps from yet another brilliant day! Congrats to all involved!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/84d2fcfe.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/738b57c3.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/ba567276.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/ba31da15.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/75e97e92.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/4ccab663.jpg

Cheers

TJ

Vulcan 903
16th Apr 2008, 18:00
I was invited to Cott and what a day. Crew were in good spirits and the media too. Just amazing feeling seeing XH558 on the VASS. She sounds more like a 301 Vulcan these days, so thoaty rather than a scream.

They will have to re test and from what I believe check the compass as well. Will have to wait a week or too now due to crew avaibility.

Nice touch that the air crew and VOC went over to the spotters in the field and briefed them too.

popkid
16th Apr 2008, 18:11
Hi all, fantastic show, although slightly nerve racking with the door problem, thank god it was okay:

The offending door...

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/senorgonzalez/vulc.jpg

And, just up the road, another Avro marvel. Ground testing those Merlins...

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/senorgonzalez/lanc.jpg

scubaman
16th Apr 2008, 18:20
XH558 took to the air again this afternoon from RAF Cottesmore for her third test flight, to test the new avionics fit.
The tests discovered a couple of minor snags, but nothing of major significance; this is after all what the tests were designed to achieve. A decision was made by the flight crew to shorten the test flight, and the aircraft landed back at Bruntingthorpe after about 45minutes.
The decision to land early arose because the starboard landing gear bay door failed to close after take-off, raising concerns that the door might be strained if flight was continued. There were no safety issues at any stageA further test flight will now be scheduled in the next few days; it is not anticipated that any major delay will result.
Very many thanks for all at RAF Cottesmore for making the Vulcan team so welcome over the last three days.
Robert Pleming

Looks good for more test flights

Taken from VTTS website make a donation while you are there you know it makes sense!!!:D:D:D

Stitchbitch
16th Apr 2008, 18:20
474 had a bird strike today on launch, she was up later with the Dak. :ok:

GeeRam
16th Apr 2008, 18:37
474 had a bird strike today on launch, she was up later with the Dak

Does this mean a small discreet addition to the mission symbol artwork.....:E

Satellite_Driver
16th Apr 2008, 18:43
A wonderful sight!

I hope the young lineys at Cott were let out to get a glimpse of what the Good Old Days were like :-)

(Actually, the poor sods probably then had to endure the rest of the day being subjected to hairy old chiefs and their "when I was on Vulcans" war stories...)

JAVELINBOY
16th Apr 2008, 19:23
Decided this morning to take a day off and head for Bruntingthorpe dashed up from South Wales and arrived to find a few people already parked up on the verge at 11:40 few rumours being banded about as to ETA. Fireman going into Brunty stopped and told us she wouldn't be back til 16:00 - 16:30 decided to wait. Lot more cars arrived and parked both side the road some still with two wheels on the carriage way. Lot of car transporters in and out of Brunty so road width was reduced by the parkers but no blockage.
Van with amber light on roof then appears and stops and speaks to the waiters, didn't speak to me or the local guy parked next to me both clear of the carriageway but a guy in a Hi-viz vest introduces himself as a volounteer and tells us she is going to come in from the other end of Brunty, won't see much where we are. Most of the others spoken to by the van man have jumped in cars and driven off by now.
Decide to make for the other end and led their by my local man.
Well she comes in from the end we left about 4 circuits then you guessed she lands from the end we were at first of all.

Suspect the van man and the volounteer TOSSER were sent out to try and clear the road by telling lies. If you go to Brunty be warned they obviously get complaints from the businesses and feed you duff gen to get you to go to the other end out of the way. Watch out for the TOSSER Hi-Viz Vest and sports a giant gold Vulcan pin badge on his lapel, if I go up there again and see him he is going to receive the rough edge of my tongue. No local Constabulary in evidence looking at the parking but no surprise there.

Despite the day nearly being ruined by the TOSSER it was fantastic to see the old girl in the air, well done to all concerned

goudie
16th Apr 2008, 19:30
(Actually, the poor sods probably then had to endure the rest of the day being subjected to hairy old chiefs and their "when I was on Vulcans" war stories...)

True but excellent stuff for character building

Al R
16th Apr 2008, 19:34
Great to meet so many people there; Stacker, 402 and Nacluv in particular. Hope you all got back home ok, and we're certainly a varied lot aren't we? Good to see that business was still being done :ok:. Yup Nac, that jet blast was quite a breeze as she left wasn't it, as was the effect which lasted for a few seconds every time she flew over. Glad to hear that she landed ok and didn't she look graceful in the turn? Just after everyone left, we got what looked like part of the Harrier display practice down our end, which was ok, and a 4 ship peeled in. Which again, was nice enough I suppose - if you like puddle jumpers. For the life of me, I can't see how on earth they manage to fit an armchair into those things.

Respect to 402 for driving in a focused and expeditious manner for the final 30 country miles, arriving just in time for the last few circuits. Quattro. Its a wonderful thing..

Edited to add my infernal envy for TJ's shots again, and to Poppers for being nearer those Merlins than me.

BEagle
16th Apr 2008, 19:35
It rather sounds to me as though it wasn't the volunteer who was the 'tosser'.....

Dysonsphere
16th Apr 2008, 19:37
Hmmmm Lanc and Vulcan formation flybye I think they can match speeds. (might be noisy with the Vulcan sitting on the engines with a high AOA)

popkid
16th Apr 2008, 19:50
Well, just looking at the Lanc / Vulcan today it made me think. Britain is/was so cool!

Pontius Navigator
16th Apr 2008, 19:57
A wonderful sight!

I hope the young lineys at Cott were let out to get a glimpse of what the Good Old Days were like :-)

Actually I didn't see any lineys young or old. Lots of contractors, lots of civil servants and a fair number of dark blue but light blue? Hardly more than a handful down the whole water front.

forget
16th Apr 2008, 20:09
Mumble mumble. Bl**dy Philistines.:{ When I was on Vulcans they ............ mumble mumble..........

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/antennas.jpg

Eagle402
16th Apr 2008, 20:33
A big thanks to Al R and Naclav for their vectoring skills today - after my initial despair at being in a holding pattern near Nottingham, the Two Amigo's worked wonders to bring me low level x-country - arriving just in time to see the mighty girl shake off the surly bonds in her inimitable style.

The singleton Harrier's hover, bow and high-speed pass followed by the 4 ship break and circuit were a great bonus to a marvellous day. Took me 3 hours to make the 150 miles home but I didn't give a damn.

Al R and Naclav - great to meet you in person and thanks again. Look forward to seeing you at the next air-test! Al R - look forward to receiving some pix from you.

Best wishes and congratulations to all involved in getting her back where she belongs.

Eagle402

LookingNorth
16th Apr 2008, 21:30
a guy in a Hi-viz vest introduces himself as a volounteer and tells us she is going to come in from the other end of Brunty, won't see much where we are. Most of the others spoken to by the van man have jumped in cars and driven off by now.
Decide to make for the other end and led their by my local man.
Well she comes in from the end we left about 4 circuits then you guessed she lands from the end we were at first of all.

Almost everybody at Brunters was taken entirely by surprise that she came back early and landed in the direction she did - the two guys who came out to tell you all to reposition were doing so in all good faith. I'm sure they appreciate your good wishes though.

On the airfield most of the media present were also in the wrong place (the BBC guys were at the mid point so caught her nicely regardless), and none of the engineers had arrived back from Cottesmore so big up to the volunteer who marshalled 558 to her parking spot - he wasn't expecting to have to do that when he woke up this morning!

Some times things don't go smoothly and some times you don't get lucky.

(Occasional volunteer)

nacluv
16th Apr 2008, 21:38
Here are a couple from me. Sorry to bore you all with more pictures...

Taxi>
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk252/kwilson1965/nacluv/P3130073.jpg

Launch>
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk252/kwilson1965/nacluv/P3130091.jpg

Rotation>
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk252/kwilson1965/nacluv/P3130094.jpg

Great to meet some likeminded people today - particularly Al_R and Eagle402. Look forward to the next excuse to meet up!

All the best, Nacluv

Al R
16th Apr 2008, 21:40
Here you go 402. One of the Harrier and its a shame you only arrived to see her lift - the final leg to the threshold was as exciting as yours by all accounts.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/vulcan/m452.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/vulcan/m055copy.jpg

Great shots Nacluv. Not much wrong with that camera! :D

S'land
16th Apr 2008, 21:53
Sitting here in Germany green with envy. I prefer older aircraft with propellers usually, but the Vulcan is a bit special, to say the least.

Just wish had been able to get over and see her fly. Ah well, there is always the air show season.

PictureClear
16th Apr 2008, 22:15
Not much wrong with that camera

No, nothing at all guv' :E

VAFFPAX
16th Apr 2008, 22:58
Al R, I love the second shot. It looks like XH558 is sitting in the grass... :-)

The howl of those four Olympus engines brought a nice fuzzy warmth to my heart when I heard it on BBC News... *sigh*

Reminds me of the days of Concorde too... That howl was distinctive on take-off.

:-)

S.

TEEEJ
17th Apr 2008, 04:49
Thanks Al,

If only the sunrays had appeared at the 22 end! Anyone out on the circuit near the A1 would have witnessed some fantastic topside views. The light was great out that way!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/536dc57d.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/6af6d642.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/a5a2bc61.jpg

Cheers

TJ

Al R
17th Apr 2008, 06:41
More great shots TJ. You are right about the sun - it lit things up beautifully at times and I loved the way she almost seemed to hang there in the turn with that light splashing off her. That, and the smoke belching out of the back, makes you realise one or two of the more pragmatic tactical shortcomings that she had.

I really do admire (you bastard) the clarity and detail that your shots have - if you don't mind me being a geek, what length was the lens setting for those? My shots are very muted by comparison, yours come alive beautifully and jump out of the screen and its that which I want to copy. Like a twonk yesterday, I was dabbling with a polarising filter bought the day previously. Yes, it bought out the clouds, but muted things overall though. I shouldn't have bothered messing about and it was a schoolboy error! The solution is obvious, I need to go out and SPEND MORE MONEY ON KIT. Ideally, a fast much longer lens. While I'm at it, I could upgrade the body too.. :ok:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/vulcan/m114copy.jpg

All was not lost when I bought the filter though. I stumbled into Dickinson & Morris in Melton during a shower and my palate is currently bursting with an infusion of some of their sausages. Really is worth a look, and they do mail order. They blow those Duchy of Cornwalls things into the weeds.

Edit: Advertising!

Finally, I have had a few people asking to buy the flare shot I posted the other day. Which is amazing and flattering, and I thank you. Harrogate has set the right tone I think. I would be happy to e-mail somethings Hi-Res (there are a few others too) over to people for non commercial use if they think its worth it, but could I suggest a small contribution of your determining to the 558 fund, by way of a thank you to her, and not to me?

Cheers,

Al.

Eagle402
17th Apr 2008, 06:57
"I could upgrade the body too".

Al,

Go easy on those sausages my man otherwise a body upgrade could be essential maintenance !

Joking apart - the polarising filter, whilst proper Gucci, explains your 'muted'
comment. I don't believe you need anything better than the kit you were using, just lose the filter. The much admired shot of the flare should tell you that you've got good kit.

Best wishes,

Eagle402

Vulcan 903
17th Apr 2008, 07:44
http://www.thevulcancollection.co.uk/images/testflight.JPG

goudie
17th Apr 2008, 07:55
What a pleasure to read and see the posts on this thread now. A far cry from all the gloom and doom over recent months.

mustpost
17th Apr 2008, 08:03
Must echo your sentiments - when Al starts waxing lyrical about sausages all is right with the world ;)

BEagle
17th Apr 2008, 08:26
Some great piccies on here - particularly from Al R!

And Ye Olde Pork Pie Shoppe is now in my Garmin nav database for the next time I'm in that part of the world!

Maybe Dickinson & Morris could become an official 558 sponsor - even just a few complimentary snorkers for the Brunty spanner-wielders would, I'm sure, be much appreciated!

Dis Gruntled
17th Apr 2008, 09:08
its not quite the same watching it on the telly is it :bored:
well done lads

Green Flash
17th Apr 2008, 09:25
A picture of 4 blokes grinning like idiots ..... now, I wonder why .....?;)

You lucky lucky bu&&ers!!!! :ok::ok::ok::ok:

TEEEJ
17th Apr 2008, 10:10
Thanks Al,
Well done on your flare shot and its contribution to the fund!

:ok:

I use a 300mm prime (Nikon Nikkor f/2.8). Some Harrier snaps from after the Vulcan departed.

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=46355;st=0;r=1;&#entry563932

Cheers

TJ

victormeldrew
17th Apr 2008, 10:33
There were,nt many people at Cottesmore yesterday not sporting an idiotic grin....I still am!

Rood
17th Apr 2008, 10:48
Excellent job getting her flying again. Was wonderful to see a symbol of British engineering and freedom fly again.

Shame the BBC wrote it up with pacifist waffle about it being a symbol of destruction. Bet they don`t say that when they wear their Chairman Mao T-shirts.

B_Fawlty
17th Apr 2008, 11:27
pacifist waffle about it being a symbol of destruction

Well, to be fair to the BBC, the Vulcan wasn't exactly designed to drop fluffy toys on our erstwhile Soviet neighbours. ;)

exscribbler
17th Apr 2008, 13:09
It's a shame the BBC doesn't realise that if it hadn't been for such men and machines the Soviets might well have become our neighbours...

hurn
17th Apr 2008, 13:20
It's a shame the BBC doesn't realise that if it hadn't been for such men and machines the Soviets might well have become our neighbours...More likely they would have become our landlords. :eek:

Vulcan 903
17th Apr 2008, 13:23
And I could have been Captain of a Caspian Sea Monster on the Holyhead to Dublin route :ugh:

hurn
17th Apr 2008, 13:31
BTW, The Vulcan appears to be going back outside right now.

goudie
17th Apr 2008, 14:53
symbol of destruction

Hopefully that was the opinion of the Communist Masters in Moscow during the Cold War

Now though, having done her job, she is a symbol of pride and perseverance to get the job done.

B_Fawlty
18th Apr 2008, 06:05
Now though, having done her job, she is a symbol of pride and perseverance to get the job done.

I couldn't agree more :D

TEEEJ
18th Apr 2008, 13:38
Al,
On the issue with filters. The general consensus is to not to use them with DSLRs and keep the lens as pure as possible. With some lenses the filters can produce all sorts of issues resulting in soft images for example. The low-fly snappers have more or less binned theirs and only use them for transit protection. I myself used to have an Nikon 80-400 and it produced even softer images with a UV/Skylight filter on.

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=14;t=45464

Popkid,
The Lanc was flying yesterday at RAF Coningsby. What a sight and sound! I was down by the Old Fen Lane side and got a private airshow. Thanks guys and girls! I was the mad nutter running up and down the lane trying to get you in frame. A few black and white conversions on the 'Phantom of the Ruhr' side from yesterday.

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=36;t=46397;

TJ

Al R
18th Apr 2008, 20:34
Cheers TJ, :ok:

I'll keep the UV one on I think, for a bit nayway.. but minimise with the pol. I've been pricing longer lenses, but I think I'll be looking at the fleabay market. I want something very fast, fixed focal length.. 400mm+ (ideally 500) and only want to pay 3/6.

Beagle,

I've finished a few day's testing with the sausages. The Rutland Special takes it, absolutely gorgeous. The minty one.. well, I didn't like them too much. Beautifully packed, but thats the advantage of having something thats not mass produced to appeal to everyone - there'll be some you don't like, and some you would kill for. The stilton, tiny pepper seeds (think French mustard) and rough cut pork did it for me. Bootiful.

Branded beer is a bit very 2006 - perhaps the 558 marketing team could have a chat with these people and get a specially blended 558 branded sausage. I'm sure that there is a lot of demographic crossover and synergy with both markets which would work to everyone's benefit? The 558 custom banger - in fact, the 558 big breakfast. Needs tweaking, but its a fresh idea and it'd make money.

Smiler558
18th Apr 2008, 20:48
The latest engineering update is in.

http://www.tvoc.co.uk/engineering.asp

Biker Boy
19th Apr 2008, 23:24
Perhaps a good job we didn't all get the sack then after all DG!!

Dis Gruntled
22nd Apr 2008, 10:45
yep because nobody else has the skills too do what you lot did lol

Vulcan 903
22nd Apr 2008, 15:06
Relax... the next air test won't be for at least two weeks due to runway and crew availability.

Vulcan 903
23rd Apr 2008, 07:06
Worked out how to upload my footage from last weeks test flight. It's a bit shakey and the auto focus plays up!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RYUFbc5MODI

Dan D'air
23rd Apr 2008, 08:58
Hopefully as this is a Vulcan question it will be presumed to be on the correct thread, but I happened to find an old (May '88) copy of "Flypast" in the loft the other day and it mentioned something called the "Twite Trophy". Having never heard of it I am now intrigued, so if anyone could be kind enough to take the time to enlighten me, I would be most grateful.

And no, I realise that there are puns a-plenty in the Trophy name but I'm fairly sure that the article wasn't a wind-up!!

Thanks in advance, DD.

green granite
23rd Apr 2008, 10:11
I seem to remember that it was a Preservation Award, run by "fly past" magazine. Probably sort of best preservation job of the year type award.

Mike Twite was the first editor of "flypast" magazine, he was killed in a Varsity crash some years ago.

Dis Gruntled
2nd May 2008, 09:34
Just thought I would let you all know the next flight is planned for tuesday next week too Conningsby. Compass swing on Wednesday as there was a snag on the last one and that was the reason the test flight was cut short nothing too do with the undercarriage door! Fly again thursday hopefully final test flight and stay at Conningsby, then back too Brunty on Friday. All being well of course. Hope this clears up a few rumours floating round. :)

Wycombe
2nd May 2008, 10:37
Thanks for the update. Hope there will be some good media coverage again, to keep the publicity momentum going. BBC did a very good job last time out.

Hope it all goes without a hitch next week :ok:

4mastacker
2nd May 2008, 14:51
Going to Coningsby is going to present a wonderful publicity opportunity for both 558 and the RAF. Let's hope the MOD's PR people have their finger on the pulse.

BEagle
2nd May 2008, 15:15
And wouldn't an approach at Waddo be quite something!

That'd stop the A15 for a while.......

TEEEJ
3rd May 2008, 15:30
Thanks Dis Gruntled for the update.

http://www.tvoc.co.uk/

'URGENT APPEAL FROM VULCAN OPERATIONS

The Vulcan Operating Company URGENTLY Need

An Off Duty Fireman WITH AIRFIELD EXPERIENCE

To Assist With Test Flights Of Avro Vulcan XH558

On

Tuesday 6th May

If You Can Help Or Know Somebody That Can Help Please Call

0116 247 8145 or 07967973244 ASAP

To Arrange Timings'

Cheers

TJ

Green Flash
3rd May 2008, 16:13
I wonder if anyone from the Aviation course at Moreton-in-Marsh (http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk/About+Us/)would like to deploy a truck and crew for the day? Might make a good training oportunity?

TEEEJ
3rd May 2008, 16:59
For those contemplating a trip to RAF Coningsby. Don't shoot the messenger if Lincs Police decide to restrict or control them!

For viewing locations just type 'thunder and lightnings' into a search engine.

I expect it to be quite busy! If you can't find a parking spot at the viewing areas then there are free car parks in Coningsby village. One free car park is situated opposite the Co-op before the mini-roundabout leading to the base. A 15-20 minute walk will take you to the runway approach at the 08 end.

Cheers

TJ

Dis Gruntled
5th May 2008, 07:11
Thanks Dis Gruntled for the update

No problem glad I can keep you informed when I know something

Smiler558
5th May 2008, 19:59
Just to let you know the latest Engineering Update is in!

http://www.tvoc.co.uk/engineering.asp

andrewmcharlton
5th May 2008, 21:39
Any word on flight ops for tomorrow or advice on best locations ?

Safe ops chaps.

Vulcan 903
6th May 2008, 06:15
From what I hear, the RAF are pulling together a very nice photo shoot of the Chadwick portfolio later this week.

Wycombe
6th May 2008, 10:51
Other forums reporting 1400-1430 local dep from Brunty today.

Due Coningsby 1600-1630.

Stitchbitch
6th May 2008, 11:33
:ok: As above, 16:00 - 16:30 local. :ok:

XL391
6th May 2008, 11:33
Being told it'll be an easterly departure today chaps.

XL391
6th May 2008, 14:09
I have it on good authority she is heading for MARHAM...

FL575
6th May 2008, 14:22
1415Z 2000ft o/h Hemingford Grey, Near St Ives, Cambs, heading E

Stitchbitch
6th May 2008, 14:23
Spotters blocking up the local roads near the old Boston...:8
At least some of them wave when waved at....:E

supakva
6th May 2008, 14:54
Watched from outside today at Brunty, been told that they will let you in the airfield for £ 5-00 anybody comfirm this??? is the viewing any good??. I understood that with all test flights public were banned:ugh:

Miniman uk
6th May 2008, 15:43
Yes a Friend was there this morning at 10am and they let people in to watch the take off just after 15:00

Might be worth a visit when she comes back

Peter

bubblesuk
6th May 2008, 16:39
If they were letting people in and charging an entrance fee, (which is against C.A.A. regulations) does that mean if they get landed with a fine will we get asked to pay it for them? ;)

Lancasterman
6th May 2008, 17:05
Look forward to seeing the pics and video clips chaps!

TEEEJ
6th May 2008, 17:36
A few snaps of XH558 today at RAF Coningsby. Taken from the 25 end. Congrats to all!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/7a519deb.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/1db5a32d.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/ec022873.jpg

TJ

harrogate
6th May 2008, 17:45
Smashing, TEEJ.

As ever.

You should put those Tiffy display practice shots of yours up on here, mate.

I've got a feeling they'll go down fairly well*

(*understatement of the year)

Al R
6th May 2008, 18:05
More exemplary stuff from TJ.

For aviation photography, what are the gains to be had by shooting in RAW? Is it worth it, are the benefits in image quality or does it 'just' allow you more flex? I've never done it before, and its one of those impenetrable areas of expertise that I've always shied away from through ignorance as much as anything.

Stitchbitch
6th May 2008, 18:34
Superb to see 'her' again in the air, she did one pass gear down (having crossed the overhead about 20 Mins before - did she go to Lincoln?) and then side slipped to land with a puff of smoke and much rudder pedal dancing due to cross wind (I think...). Forgot how smokey the old girl was. What coal are they using :E
One thing, I'm no expert, but...the engines sounded a bit..rough (?) when the pilot throttled up a bit to enter the downwind. Is this normal as I don't remember her sounding like that ('x' amount of years ago!)?
Good work Fellas (and ladies), thanks to all who contributed to her return, not many dry eyes in the house..apart from SB of course...:ok:

supakva
6th May 2008, 18:38
Fantastic shots :D Look below the cockit, the viewing hatch, is somebody peeking out!!!

harrogate
6th May 2008, 18:44
Looks like someone's got their head and hands pressed against the glass. Seem to be wearing a RAF flight suit.

Maybe TEEJ can do us a crop of the hi res version...?

supakva
6th May 2008, 18:57
That guy has got a great view:eek: nerves of steel!!!

DKP1
6th May 2008, 19:18
It was great to see the Vulcan land then taxi at coningsby!!

What a great sight!!

taxydual
6th May 2008, 19:24
Just a thought. I wonder if the MoD bean counters insist the Vulcan pays Landing Fee's?

DKP1
6th May 2008, 19:27
It is a privately owned aircraft ..........

have a guess

Green Flash
6th May 2008, 19:33
Predicatable, I suppose.:sad::*

ZH875
6th May 2008, 19:58
I can just hear the Typhoon's saying:

"When I grow up, I want to be a Vulcan, but until then I shall keep my little stabilizing wings and whizz around the sky"

Nice to see a proper Tin Triangle back in Lincolnshire.

mr fish
6th May 2008, 20:45
next up , a buccaneer, pretty please, pretty please with nuts on etc etc!!

Dis Gruntled
6th May 2008, 20:55
Look below the cockit, the viewing hatch, is somebody peeking out!!!

Its just the little cuddly monkey thing they put there all the time unless Barry has got a lot more hairy.
PS be nice about Conningsby now I hear they are giving them a load of fuel gratis :)

forget
6th May 2008, 21:01
One thing, I'm no expert, but...the engines sounded a bit..rough (?) :ugh::ugh:

One part of this sentence is correct. Tick tock, Tick tock, Tick tock, Tick .....

Correct :ok:

TEEEJ
6th May 2008, 21:02
Thanks for the comments. The famous Vulcan howl was simply amazing!

Harrogate,

I popped up the link to the Typhoon images on the 'Typhoon Wheels-up Trial in China Lake' thread

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=324314&page=4

Al,

RAW or JPEG is really down to personal choice in my opinion. I started shooting RAW late last year and find that it works for me with the software that I have. JPEG setting will give you more in the memory buffer as the files are smaller.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

I had a look at the original image. It look like a mascot of some description! Looks like the scarey clown off the old BBC test card!

Cheers

TJ

TEEEJ
6th May 2008, 21:10
Corker of an image at the following link. Caught at the 07 end. :ok:

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=36;t=47337;

Cheers

TJ

Dis Gruntled
6th May 2008, 21:12
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc220/davyma/257-guy.jpg

Does this answer your question?

hurn
6th May 2008, 21:16
Fantastic shots :D Look below the cockit, the viewing hatch, is somebody peeking out!!!
I think thats where they keep Richard Branson hostage until he agrees to give them some funding. ;)

http://i27.tinypic.com/25s1i85.jpg

Eagle402
6th May 2008, 21:45
That's a grave insult to the fluffy crewman. Brings to mind the furore when Man United were taken over by the septics and the more rabid of their Kuala Lumpur/Torquay based fans burnt an effigy of Malcolm Glaser outside Castle Greyskull (Old Trafford).

One of the wittier commentators remarked that it was the first time an effigy had been better looking than the original.

Eagle402

supakva
6th May 2008, 21:55
Ahhhh that explains it.
Thanks DG.

Vulcan 903
6th May 2008, 22:13
My 30 second take vid is now on You Tube at http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-x3wlpXpzvY
558 had to wait a few minutes while a twin prop infringed on it's airspace. Happy going south to north then quick 180 deg back track out of the way!

Enjoy!

XL391
7th May 2008, 10:13
Anyone know who the crew was? Dave Thomas & Mike Pollitt were spotted but no sign of Martin Withers or Al McDicken...

Stitchbitch
7th May 2008, 11:51
Forget, I bow to your superior knowledge. :ugh::ugh:
perhaps as a propulsion tech, you can enlighten me as to why it sounded 'slightly ropey' as it past me? :E:ok:

forget
7th May 2008, 12:13
perhaps as a propulsion tech,

Is that me, or you? :) Anyway, I never once saw a Vulcan F700 entry that read ‘engines sound slightly ropey’. Nor, when standing underneath one on the pad with my fillings rattling, or running away from them on QRA, did I stop to ponder, ‘By Gum, that engine sounds slightly ropey’.

You may have heard an ‘unusual’ sound. Maybe the power settings weren’t symmetrical, but ‘slightly ropey’. Nooooooo. Mind you I don’t know what ‘slightly ropey’ means. ;)

Stitchbitch
7th May 2008, 20:35
Me :O 'Slightly ropey' must equal 'Maybe the power settings weren’t symmetrical' or slightly ropey = crackling sounds noticeable above normal olympus sound, in my less than stella engine noise spotter capacity I would liken it to a car engine running rough (but in Jet terms). Erm, I'll stop now then...;)
Anyhow, she enjoyed some attention today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/lincolnshire/content/image_galleries/raf_coningsby_vulcan2008_gallery.shtml?1

Dis Gruntled
7th May 2008, 20:37
Just thought you would like too know due too a unsucessful compass swing today tomorrows planned local test flight (not display) wont go ahead you wiull have too wait till Friday. Hope it wasnt those magnetic rivets I used that are making both the nav and pilot compasses go wonky lol

ZH875
7th May 2008, 20:46
Do you know routing of the test flight?

Jetscream 32
7th May 2008, 20:51
Iian Young is meant to driving right seat this week i think - or at least that was the plan??

Lancasterman
7th May 2008, 21:00
I wonder if the "red slap" could be causing the problems?

forget
7th May 2008, 21:10
BBC Lincolnshire.

The Avro Lancaster was a British four-engine Second World War bomber aircraft made initially by Avro for the British Royal Air Force. It first saw active service in 1942.

Inexcuseable. :mad::mad:

Dis Gruntled
7th May 2008, 21:17
Dont know the routing but it wont be as long as the one on tuesday so not sure if it will do Cambridge again. Most of the snags raised on the last flight were avionics stuff which although minor (and mostly known about for some time :*) Do have too be sorted out.
As for the red slab Lancman, I answered that one on key aviation :)

supakva
7th May 2008, 21:33
Oh dear more problems.
I have no knowledge of compass workings, is this a major problem that will cost lots more money, or is it a simple fix. Will it need more test flights???
Anybody with some expert info care to answer.
An eta for return flight to brunty would be great also!!

deltapapa
7th May 2008, 21:57
Anyone know who the crew was? Dave Thomas & Mike Pollitt were spotted but no sign of Martin Withers or Al McDicken...

Left hand seat David Thomas
Right hand seat Iain Young MA test pilot
AEO Barry Masefield
4th seat Andy Marson

TEEEJ
7th May 2008, 21:57
Again, thanks for the heads-up, Dis Gruntled.

Cheers

TJ

Pontius Navigator
8th May 2008, 05:27
I have no knowledge of compass workings, is this a major problem that will cost lots more money, or is it a simple fix.

For its day the Compass System on the Mark 2 was state of the art but in a modern context is actually quite simple.

There are really two areas where there may be problems, neither usually difficult to fix. One is the MFS with its instruments, gyros etc, the other is the one of magnetism.

An MFS problem might be one of amplifiers or gyros but I would hazard a guess that it is neither as these are testable items and not ones that would only present problems during calibration.

Magnetism, OTOH, might be more likely and the throwaway about magnetic rivets actually quite likely. We had a Phantom where many of the canopy arch rivets round the standby compass were magnetic. The rivets had become mixed in the shed and were otherwise indistinguishable from the alloy ones.

I had a problem with the first swing on the Lancaster where the P10 would just not fix until a young engineering officer (he was older than me at the time) suggested a Sperry swing. See below.

The Vulcan has been sat on one heading for many years, years longer than it has ever sat before. In that process it will have acquired magnetism and this will need greater corrections than normal. The problems might be with the E2B in the cockpit or the Sperry flux valves in the wing tips. The former had a pair of bar magnets to be adjusted. The flux valves can be coarse aligned by a few degrees. More than that becomes more difficult. A coarse error should have been identified even before the aircraft left Brunty. Our Phantom problem was identified while it was still in the hangar.

Back to Sperry.

The first correction is the deviation on E-W / 2. So if the deviation on East is -2 and on West is -1 then the total error correction is -2 --1 /2 or minus 0.5 deg. Easy. Or maybe it was -2 and + 1 which would be -3/2 or minus 1.5.

The problem starts to arise with gross errors as we had in the Lancaster where the East was about -60 and the West was about -50. The formula produces a correction of just 5 degrees and the errors are hardly altered. The cause is quite simple - the aircraft system is not NEAR east or west so the correction is wholly wrong.

The answer was the Sperry swing. First make the aircraft comass on an easterly heading read EAST. Then move the aircraft to west and make the heading read WEST. After I had been given guidance (pun) the rest was easy.

For the Lancaster we just used a Landing Compass. For the Vulcan we used a Watts Datum. As a bomber it needed an accuracy of 0.1 deg. As a display aircraft it would not need to be better than a degree or so. Swings just take time. A day is nothing.

Linedog
8th May 2008, 06:22
No TomTom 500 then, huh???
:ugh::):):)

Al R
8th May 2008, 07:02
Pontius,

I will get slagged off for crawling ever closer to my 1000 by you know who, but thanks for an interesting post. Are you saying that standing still for so long has caused the compass to be unable to shed, if you like, some kind of built in memory?

Is not an retro fit commercial option suitable? Something simply bought off the shelf and put in?

Cheers.

PS:

TJ: Cheers for your reply about RAW - I'll give it a go.

supakva
8th May 2008, 07:15
Thanks for the detailed reply P N. You are the compass man!!!

Cessna 210 Heavy
8th May 2008, 07:22
I thought '558 had been fitted with a GA type avionics fit? GNS530/430 for example,

Or is that total rubbish on my part?

BEagle
8th May 2008, 08:40
558 no longer uses the MFS. It has a 'General Aviation' level HSI system as that is all that's needed for VFR Permit-to-Fly operations.

foxtrot-oscar
8th May 2008, 10:00
Does anyone know if she will be at the Biggin Air Fair next month or not. The Biggin website is saying TBC.

Thanks

deltapapa
8th May 2008, 10:59
Just thought you would like too know due too a unsucessful compass swing today tomorrows planned local test flight (not display) wont go ahead you wiull have too wait till Friday. Hope it wasnt those magnetic rivets I used that are making both the nav and pilot compasses go wonky lol

the reason they are not flying 558 today is because they believe they can fit the remaining checks into the flight on Friday on her return to Bruntingthorpe & that decision was made before they did the compass swing yesterday.

XL391
8th May 2008, 11:29
Does anyone know if she will be at the Biggin Air Fair next month or not. The Biggin website is saying TBC.

I would imagine that when it is confirmed, they will remove TBC from the list.

Nobody knows just yet, not the pilots, Dr Robert, the engineers, it all depends on her final test flight and, if successful, how quickly her Permit-to-fly is issued and her display authorised by the CAA. Only once all that is done can they be certain of when they will be appearing where. There is also the not inconsiderate matter of money in the kitty...

Cessna 210 Heavy
8th May 2008, 11:33
How about the funding? Do they have all they need to fly it at BIG? I thought they only had funds to complete the test flying? I am sure they still have all the display authorisations to go through, for each crew member, which will be a big deal on a 4 engine bomber like vulcan 'tis!

Vox Populi
8th May 2008, 12:22
BBC Lincolnshire.

The Avro Lancaster was a British four-engine Second World War bomber aircraft made initially by Avro for the British Royal Air Force. It first saw active service in 1942.

Inexcuseable.

Inexcuseable

That really is inexcusable.

forget
8th May 2008, 12:48
Don't worry yourself too much Vox. :hmm: The BCC new wot I ment. It's been changed.

supakva
8th May 2008, 15:43
Anybody got a time of departure for tomorrows test flight??.

Thanks.

Pontius Navigator
8th May 2008, 16:04
I was trying to give a generic answer about compass swings. Whatever the system it is likely to use flux valves and these need to be aligned accurately on the aircraft effectively a coarse alignment, and then elecronically to give an accurate magnetic reading.

As for an aircraft acquiring a magnetic alignment this is true of any ship or aircraft on one heading for any length of time. Or indeed its components. In service an aircraft, even on a major repair programme, would not be on one heading for more than a year or so.

A compass swing was supposed to be given after a change of magnetic latitude or a major component change. The change of magnetic latitude is due to Dip where the magnetic field is horizontal near the equator and therefore stronger and near the vertical at the poles and therefore very weak in the horizontal plane. In the case of component change there were arguments that an engine change was 'major' but that was eventually ignored as TFD as indeed was the rule for magnetic latitude, same reason, TFD. It was argued successfully, and probably wrongly, that the trucks didn't do compass swings down the route so why should a bomber. This overlooked the need for greater accuracy in a bomber. I never did a compss swing on detachement.

Ballast
8th May 2008, 20:00
Doesn't seem unreasonable to describe it as the "British Royal Air Force" as, believe it or not, other countries have royal families and then have the audacity to called their forces "Royal".

Pontius Navigator
8th May 2008, 20:23
As the first Royal Air Force we had no need to stipulate which country it was from.

While the Dutch, French and Spanish had Royal House the case for our Navy to be only the RN is interesting.

Then again we were the first with postage stamps so no need to put a country name on them. Ditto the Royal Mail and the GPO.

Tim McLelland
8th May 2008, 20:31
I see from the press release that XH558 is due back at Bruntingthorpe at lunctime tomorrow and then the papers go to the CAA. So, no matter how you look at it, they did it, and despite all the sagas, the disappointments, shady activities, arguments, whining and bitching, the project has been completed and I have to say - hats off to 'em!

Of course, there's no certainty what will happen from this point onwards but I certainly wish the team the very best of luck. They've achieved what many believed to be impossible. Just hope it doesn't prove to have all been for nothing - you'd think a sponsor would have come forward by now, wouldn't you? Oh well, a classic tale of determination against typical British indifference I guess.

TEEEJ
8th May 2008, 21:40
The graceful lady as she basked in the sunset earlier this evening.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/b7537ae9.jpg

Cheers

TJ

Wycombe
8th May 2008, 21:47
Funding/sponsorship?.....the current profits of BP or Shell for a couple of hours could do it for the whole season!

supakva
8th May 2008, 22:02
Tim, where did you find the press release, ive had a look on the tvoc website and can find no new news.:confused:
Do you know how long the test flight will be tomorrow, or is it straight back to bruny.
Thanks.

Biker Boy
8th May 2008, 23:28
Just got back home after another busy day at Coningsby working on our old girl. To correct DisGruntled's quote, the purely magnetic compasses (two E2B type) were in fact successfully swung whilst at Cottesmore. The new gyro magnetic HSI systems had to be aligned too. However, probably due to the attrocious weather at Cottesmore making it very difficult to achieve a steady platform, this was not one hundred percent successful and resulted in a differential between the port and starboard HSI headings after the return to Brunty.

Yesterday,Weds, due to PR activities we were unable to complete the necessary adjustments, but today, Thurs, Glen Stanton and Stu Bond of MA aided by myself(Pat Bowyer) and John Hufton of TVOC, successfully adjusted the system to bring the difference in tolerance. Adjustment was quite tricky, the components are not as high quality as the original MFS system used during Service life, considerable effort and much patience was needed to achieve good results.
The Avionics "problems" mentioned by DisGruntled, were not faults or defects, but merely adjustments and corrections to the operation of the ADDU altitude warning system and during the rest of today the MA techs successfully completed MA designed corrective work to bring this system up to full operational standard.

The aircraft is, apart from a Before Flight in the morning, now ready for flight tomorrow, Friday, at about 1130 hours.

Hope that clears the fog,:ok::ok:

Cessna 210 Heavy
9th May 2008, 06:35
Biker Boy:

Top Swinging!

supakva
9th May 2008, 11:01
Anybody know if she has taken off yet.

Vbomberboy
9th May 2008, 11:10
On the ground engines running last I heard,

supakva