PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Australia - Wannabes & Recruitment

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

High as a Kite
20th Mar 2007, 23:28
Hi!

I didn't want to interrupt the very important EBA discussions going on in the official Virgin Blue thread so I thought I would start my own....

I currently work for Atlantic and I've been lucky enough to be selected for the exchange #5 starting in May.

I'm looking for some help and advice about setting up home in Brisbane. A group of us are interested in house sharing but we are not sure about the best areas to look for property. I thought it would be wise to ask the experts.

Also it would be great to get to know some of you before embarking on this exciting adventure.....

Cheers :ok:

ozflyboy
20th Mar 2007, 23:59
Hi Kite!

You have made a good choice with BNE (if you indeed had a choice this time) - great weather, and a good base with crew who have been around for a while in general.

I have just returned from exchange number 3 - had a ball over there!

Most Atlantic crew seem to gravitate to the New Farm, Teneriffe, Newstead or Fortitude Valley areas as they are close to the nightlife, cafes/bars and public transport to get you out to the airport. They are a little more expensive, but you are only here for a year, and compared to London prices - it is cheap!!

See you soon!

Oz :ok:

Gpik
21st Mar 2007, 00:40
Hey Im also heading over to Oz on the fifth exchange. Im goin to be MEL base, tho training is now in BNE, initially it was supposed to be in mel, looking forward to it, cant wait till im sittin on the VS200 to hkg/SYD (hopefully in J0when im headin over!

PER210
21st Mar 2007, 02:07
is it hard to get selected? (move from Blue to Atlantic)? And what type flying do you do while you work for Atlantic on exchange?

Cheers :)

PitPin
22nd Mar 2007, 10:30
Could somebody please give me approx annual pay for Australian Virgin cabin Attendant ?

flitegirl
22nd Mar 2007, 13:25
I'm taking a bit of a guess here, but from what i've heard through the industry, a VB flight attendant is on a salary in the high Au$30k range. Considering how hard they work, it's not the best.

High as a Kite
22nd Mar 2007, 14:37
Hi Oz,

I chose Brisbane base for exactly the reasons you mentioned. :)

Thanks for the advice about where to live. A group of us are going to try and do a house share.

Glad you had a great time on exchange #3. I'm hoping to have an equally memorable experience.

See you soon.

Cheers HaaK :ok:

sinala1
22nd Mar 2007, 21:34
Pitpin/Flitegirl - currently VB Cabin Crew are on approx $44K before overnight allowances, VB Cabin Supervisors are on approx $52K before overnight allowances

easttowest
22nd Mar 2007, 23:38
hi guys, this is my first time posting on this site, I am EK crew living in Dubai and I really want to get a job w/Virgin....I've been invited to a VRD next week, can u pls tell me what to expect, and how many days off work will I need after the interview????

thanx a million!!!!!

Brisvegasboy
23rd Mar 2007, 12:59
Flitegirl,

Sinala1 is correct with base salary.

VB crew actually take home anything between A$1500 (Cabin Crew with one-two nightstops) and A$3000 (Cabin Supervisors who have worked a few available days and have had 5-6 nightstops) per fortnight.

I have only worked one week out of the past two (mostly available days), was away for 4 nights in that week, had a couple of available days (home standby) that I wasn't called in on and will still take home A$2600 for the fortnight.....not too bad really......:ok:

flitegirl
24th Mar 2007, 01:35
good for you :D

I don't really care though.... your response would be better directed to PitPin - he/she was enquiring about VB pay.

notalwayssunny
24th Mar 2007, 03:43
I think you've been included in the response due to your own comment. It does pay to check your facts before you make them.

flitegirl
24th Mar 2007, 11:20
You'll note in my original post I stated that I was taking a "guess" and was repeating what i'd heard through industry talk. I never insisted that I was stating facts. My point is that those of you "in the know" should be replying to PitPin. :rolleyes:

PitPin
25th Mar 2007, 12:12
Whatever !

Brisvegasboy
26th Mar 2007, 06:12
PitPin,

Do the above posts answer your question??

Cheers,

Bvb

PitPin
26th Mar 2007, 10:23
Yes thankyou for the info

smn99
2nd Apr 2007, 10:59
Hi All

Just wondering if there's many Virgin Blue CC staff who commute from interstate to their base regularly?

I'm from ADL and am going to a MEL-base VRD... just trying to suss out how feasible it would be to not completely relocate if I were to get the position! Ie. Would travel benefits & rostering breaks make it possible to spend time back in ADL every fortnight??

I can see with the EBA discussions that it's all a bit up in the air at the moment but I'd just like to know if it's currently done?

I'm a newbie so apologise if this has been discussed before - can't seem to find it! :O

Melbourne
9th Apr 2007, 02:49
Anyone know if Virgin Blue plans to recruit cabin crew for Melbourne or Brisbane base in the next few months?

smn99
17th Apr 2007, 00:26
Anyone know if Virgin Blue plans to recruit cabin crew for Melbourne or Brisbane base in the next few months?Don't know about any specific upcoming dates, but I was invited to attend one in MEL - actually taking place today. Would have like to have gone but decided against it as I'm not available to relocate at this stage.
Was also asked to one in BNE about 2 months ago... Going by other posts there have been others inbetween too - so they seem to be hiring on an ongoing basis?

I've heard it's a bit of a "random draw" as to who gets the VRD invites... Just make sure you check into your online application regularly to keep it updated & put all the "right" answers on there to keep your application visible!

:ok:

Melbourne
17th Apr 2007, 02:21
Thanks for your answer with regards to VB recruitment

FA1
18th Apr 2007, 11:17
It took me about 6 months to get an invite for Virgin Blue cabin crew and that was with a blue star referal.

wingswest
23rd Apr 2007, 07:25
I am an an Aussie working as a F/A for a large UK airline, based out of LHR for 10 years...,however I want to get back home and and want to work for VB. Despite the challenges facing VB at the moment, I admire the corporate culture at VB, having experienced the service several times. I was wondering about any VB team-members' opinions of VB and how I should aim my CV and any subsequent interview tips..ie. what are the 'magic' words, phrases etc. Having extensive flying and customer-service experience is one thing but I have heard that they like to hear the 'right' words too. As part of the same 'family', I was hoping a F/A at VB might be able to point me in the right direction. Perhaps we might fly together someday. Anyhow, thanks for your time and any help offered. Much appreciated and safe flying!!! Thanks again, WingsWest

Bidan
1st May 2007, 01:54
I applied back in Dec, received an invite to attend Mel seminar on 23/5... Dont quite understand the process as once I accepted the invite I was then advised they will let me know if I would be required to attend... Thought I had already been invited!!!

Bidan
1st May 2007, 01:58
Also just curious to know if Virgin have part time positions for Cabin crew??

crewbus
1st May 2007, 05:04
Re part time. Virgin Blue does offer part time, however the waiting list is about a mile long, with crew moving up the list at about 1 per month. Fellow crew please correct me if I am wrong. Not sure how quickly the CS moves, but considering nearly every CS is on the list, I cant imagine it being very quick!

I think you also have to be in your position for 9 months before you can put yourself on the list.

Regarding the recruitment days, just be yourself. If only we knew what the icing on the cake was as too getting selected. Usual things apply, team playing, adaptability, customer service. I imagine past experience would come in handy.

Not sure how they pick people of the database, I assume it is a list and it goes in order of when you submitted your details. Make sure you have 6 months left on your CPR and 12 months on your Level 2 or you wont even get a look in.

Goodluck to anyone applying.

sinala1
1st May 2007, 05:11
Hi Bidan,

Yes Virgin does have part time positions, but not as a direct hire - you have to get in, and then put your name on the list... at the moment there is apparently over 100 people on the list for each base - and the movement is very very slow sorry!!

The Bullwinkle
1st May 2007, 06:35
I admire the corporate culture at VB:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

__FA__
1st May 2007, 09:20
Honey Hostey

Im not sure how it works!! Ive had an aplication with virgin for over a year, have all the credentials also and have never received an invite to a VRD, yet friends that apply, with less qualifiactions and experience then me have got an invitiation to a VRD strait away!

Bidan
1st May 2007, 09:59
Hi HostieHoney,
I recieved the email about a week ago.. Have replied to say I would like to attend but havnt been given final o.k.... The email said I must advise of my interest by Sunday 13th May..

beachwave40
3rd May 2007, 10:53
Has anybody herd of the conditions being offered to fly International? I'm hearing they have been circulated internally ? T/F ?

sinala1
3rd May 2007, 22:23
False... Sorry!

darcyfk7
3rd May 2007, 23:17
hi hust to answer your questions regarding Vb recruitment day in brisbane, i have been lucky enough to to invited to one neing held in brissie on the 30th of may. im not sure of any in melbourne.
darcy:)

exmax
4th May 2007, 13:10
I got the same email about the VRD on the 23rd in MEL but being in Sydney, I'd find it hard to commute. A very good friend of mine is a CS out of BNE and says that some people do manage it. Can anyone currently working for DJ confirm or add any light to that, also about any info regarding DJ opening a base out of SYD for their regional flying?

wirgin blew
6th May 2007, 03:22
SYD base and VB LH all rumours at this stage. Watch this space for more info as it comes to hand.
LH are seeking expressions of interest at this stage and I would advise anyone interested to register for this via the VB home page.
Happy flying.

I Just Want To Fly
6th May 2007, 15:46
Article in Airliner Magazine over here in the UK. Confirmed the order of several B777 by DJ to operate their long haul services. Many of us Aussies flying here in the UK are keeping a close eye on developments back home, but very little info actually filtering through.

Sylphie
9th May 2007, 12:50
Another thread got me curious as to what the rules/requirements are for Virgin Blue crew, regarding makeup. Do you need to wear specific brands or colours on lips etc, is it a must to wear lipstick, do they stipulate which colours of eyeshadow to wear etc?

:ooh:

jessygirl
16th May 2007, 09:38
Hi All. . .
Anyone care to shed some light on the actual training program once you have been selected, Eg: Emirates run a 5 week training course, with exams etc.

What do Virgin Run? How long? Where? etc.
and do you get to pick which base you work out of. . . .
any information would be great....

thanx.

Sylphie
16th May 2007, 10:05
Not sure where it is jessygirl but I know it runs for 5 weeks and there are a lot of exams. I think you really just choose where you are willing to work on the application as far as I see.

PS. If anyone has an answer for my above post that would be awesome! :p

wirgin blew
16th May 2007, 22:53
I believe that the 5 weeks has been extended to 6 with weekends off. You train in either MEL or BNE depending on where you nominate to work.
Currently there are groups training in MEL and BNE and I have heard that there will be at least 1 group a month in MEL till the end of the year, not sure about BNE.
VB need a lot of crew to fill up the spots on EMB's if CC get that gig as well as replacing the churn of CC who dont realise how hard this job can be on your family and friends. Currently MEL crew averaging close to 10 overnights a month. I personally have gone from an average of 7 to at least 10 every month. My hours have also increased from around 100 to 120 per month, rostered. Available days are on top of that.
I wish you all well but this job has definitely gotten harder in the last 12 months.

Melisa
21st May 2007, 14:30
Sylphie: I work for Virgin Blue as ground crew and i know the same hair and makeup rules apply for both Ground crew and Cabin crew... There is no particular brand we have to wear, but it is compulsory to at least wear lipstick, blush and mascara. Then as for hair, you are not allow any wild colours or two toned colours, and if your hair is longer than 25cm in a ponytail, it has to be then worn in a plaited bun or a normal bun with a hair net. With both ponytail and bun hairstyles we have to wear a black ribbon tied in a bow and they have also allowed us to wear a thin alice head band if you want. With colours of eye shadow, you are only allowed to wear natural colours like browns, beige etc.. but no purple, blue etc...you get my drift. :)

Hope that was the info you needed :)

Also yes Virgin Blue will be flying to the USA end of next year and i think it will be set up as a separate company again just like Pacific Blue and Polynesian Blue. I'd LOVE to be Cabin crew for that!!

As for being picked for VB VRD's, i noticed alot who get an invitation have been 'Blue stared' by a current VB employee, or have had some form of airline experience.. I "Personally think" the system just picks whatever special 'words/companies' from your application online to consider you for a VRD. I don't really know how they hand pick from all the thousands of applications they recieve, but thats how i percieve it..

In the CC interviews, you first do an individual 5 min one on one interview, then from there a test, then group activities, then get cut, then a individual role play (like a problem situation with one recruiter acting and the other taking notes), then a final interview which can take about 40mins..

If ever you don't get through Cabin Crew you can always apply from Ground Crew and work from there.. They are recruiting like crazy at the moment! Probably because the company is growing so fast with alot of new things happening eg.. New Embraer Jets arriving by August etc...

Good Luck to you all :ok:

Sylphie
23rd May 2007, 07:53
Thanks heaps Melisa, that was perfect!

DJCCGuy, I think the uniform is great as it is, but I can understand that as you wear it eveyday it may become old. I'd love to wear it before they change it though. Hehe. The vest idea on the guys sounds real spunky!

Wirgin Blew you always have tons of great information! :ok:

Sylphie
23rd May 2007, 08:01
Hostie Honey, I didn't see your post as we posted roughly at the same time. Buuut, I just thought I'd say I think everything you are doing is the way to go. You have an extra likelihood of getting an invitation [and a job] because you have the crew experience. Keep refreshing your application and updating [where/if possible] I'm sure you'll get an invite soon!

PS - I'm in the same hopeful boat, minus the crewing experience :sad:

Grove
24th May 2007, 04:09
Hi All,
Went along to the VBRD in Mel and made it thru the whole day. Was really a lot of fun. Now the waiting begins..
Just had a couple of questions so I know what Im getting myself in for if lucky enough to be offered the position.
1. Do you think it would be possible to commute to Sydney??..If so would BNE or MEL base be better.??
2. Which base if any would have more Sydney overnights??.
3.How long before staff travel is available and what would a staff ticket cost??
4.Roughly what is the salary including allowances?? Feel free to send me a p.m if not wanting to post..
Im just doing the sums to see if its worth my while.
The VB team at the seminar were fantastic, they projected such a positive and exciting enviroment for all the applicants. They did a great job.
Also for anyone thinking Virgin have a certain type of crew they are looking for..Forget it..Out of the 35 who started, 12 made it through, ages from 20 to over 40, male and female, some with airline exp others with none. A really good mix. Im hoping. Fingers crossed.. for some good news soon.

flitegirl
24th May 2007, 05:16
Of course there were successful applicants over 40! Virgin just lost their appeal against the ex AN crew who successfully claimed age discrimination in the Virgin recruitment process. They wont be making that mistake again!

wirgin blew
25th May 2007, 04:49
It is possible to commute from either base but you probably wont have to wait long for a SYD base. The rumour network has it opening by the end of the year as the SYD flight deck get more numbers. At the moment if you want to become a Capt then SYD is where the offer is. So once they have enough TC the CC possibly wont be far behind. Also one of the bus drivers in SYD has been told that they wont be needed soon as the base is opening up.
As far as salary goes you can get that from www.wagenet.gov.au option 2 then search for virgin blue. Its hard to work it out exactly but at least you can see all the ins and outs for yourself. This EBA is under negotiation but in the mean time the 2002-2005 document is what we are still running on. I myself am averaging about $1800 clear per fortnight for the past financial year. This includes base wage, allowances, overnights, available days, overtime, commission, etc. The base wage is just under $1400 clear per fortnight if you dont get any of the above. My biggest ever is $2300 and in the last 12 months I probably have only gone over $2000 less than 10 times.
Of the current group of trainees the average age would be 30 and they have a mixture of aviation and non aviation backgrounds. Internal transfer is another way to go if you are desperate to work for VB. It seems that they are constantly advertising for transfers.
All the best.

Grove
25th May 2007, 10:04
Thankyou so much for your reply...

A Sydney base would fantastic.... I am surprise it hasnt happened before. the cost in overnighting crew must be enormous.. No news today...waiting,waiting,waiting...

I Just Want To Fly
26th May 2007, 01:13
Do DJ crew stay in the city or near the airport when they have layovers in SYD. Obviously don't say which hotel, for security reasons...

SKYNEWS
26th May 2007, 03:58
Does anyone know when Virgin Blue will be recruiting cabin crew/ground crew(check in counter) for Brisbane base?

Thanks

wirgin blew
27th May 2007, 23:49
Depends on the length of layover. We have either for operations to choose from.

Grove
28th May 2007, 09:55
Got email today saying that my application had progressed past the VBRD and they would be in contact in 2 weeks.. Good news I guess!!

maddles
28th May 2007, 14:37
They are recruiting at the moment. I have a recruitment day for cabin crew, brisbane based on thursday.

sinala1
29th May 2007, 04:29
HostieHoney I have not heard of any such unwritten rule? I do know for a fact we have some ex MAM'ers and ex QF L/H crew too... not to mention the plethora of other airlines crew (Sunstate/Easterns/AN/BA/VS/Alliance/Ozjet/Airnorth etc)... Good luck, hope you get the call soon! :ok:

SocialFlyer
29th May 2007, 05:15
Hi All,

Would anyone be able to tell me the name of the new aircraft Virgin Blue will be using and which routes they will be used for? I'm trying to find some pics of the aircraft on the net but just need the exact name and make.

Thanks in advance.

Socialflyer

wirgin blew
29th May 2007, 06:10
Firstly I know for a fact that we have qantas linkers in the current MEL training school. I have spoken to two candidates from there. I know of others online from not only QL but SH and LH. If you have the goods you will be successful. VB employees people from all walks of life and all ages, sex, and sexual orientation. I have heard that there are 16000 candidates at any one time so if persistance isnt one of your virtues then goodluck elsewhere in life.

The new aircraft are Embraers. Plenty of info out on the net on this company. The names havent been decided yet, Sinala or smile may correct me on this. The destinations are even more of a guessing game as I dont think the company even knows how its all going to work. They havent even trained CC on them yet but that wont take long to do, 1-2 days at most. TC are another matter and you would have to ask the fly boys how thats going.
Plenty of marketing yet to come from the company on the brazilians.

737opsguy
29th May 2007, 06:14
The new "regional" aircraft that Virgin Blue is getting is the Embraer 170 and Embraer 190. The 170 is coming in September to start flying late in the year and seats about 75 people. The 190 is coming in January to start flying in Feb/Mar and seats about 102 people. The routes that they will fly are unknown, but you'd guess and say it could be Canberra to/from Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide etc and maybe Melbourne to Hobart/Launceston, Brisbane to Rocky/Mackay/Townsvile, Sydney to Ballina/Coffs. These are all guesses because no one knows. I think that both aircraft have to have 3 cabin crew on board.

If you are talking about the new "international" aircraft, that is going to be the Boeing 777-300. I don't think they have decided if it will be a part of Virgin Blue or a separate airline as yet. It will fly from the east coast to Los Angeles or San Fran or something.

sinala1
29th May 2007, 07:03
Virgin Blue has 3 new aircraft types coming: Embraer 170, Embraer 190 and Boeing 777-300ER. The B773ER operation is yet to be announced re crewing/routes/name etc. At this stage the Embraers are set to be crewed by existing cabin crew, however routes have not been announced - although its likely they will be used for both new routes, and also capacity management on existing routes.

smile
29th May 2007, 07:50
Hi Hostiehoney,

I can understand your frustration. It is my understanding that there are almost another ten training groups between MEL and BNE for the rest of this year- so keep applying.

smile

Grove
29th May 2007, 08:54
Hi HostieHoney,
Re the ex QF issue. I am also ex QF and a little older than your average Cabin Crew applicant but made it through the VBRD. Got an email yesterday advising they would be in contact with me in the next two weeks. Not an offer of employement yet but still in there with a chance. Think luck plays such a big part in all this. A friend who applied the same time I did has not been invited to a VBRD yet either. Like you she is getting frustrated as she is very keen for the position. Good Luck, hope you get an invite soon.

SKYNEWS
29th May 2007, 09:07
Hello

How do you know that Virgin Blue are recruiting cabin crew at present?

Where are the positions for cabin crew advertised?

maddles
29th May 2007, 12:21
I dont think they are advertising on the recruitment site anymore. I noticed that the advertisment was taken down some weeks ago though. Just keep a look out on the recruitment site. (it can be accessed from the Virgin Blue site.)

smile
29th May 2007, 21:18
Don't take any notice if they are recruiting or not- even if they are 'only' taking expressons of interest apply via StaffCV. And update/re-send every couple of days to show that you are still interested.

Sylphie
2nd Jun 2007, 05:31
Does Virgin Blue stipulate that as Cabin Crew, you must live within a certain radius from the airport?

smartalec888
2nd Jun 2007, 11:07
Sylphie: I heard from a friend who works @ VB that they its ideal if you live within 60mins (ie: if you get called in to fill in) but I don't think that's a rule...

Hardly a prob for me as I'm lapping it up here in Ascot :O

wirgin blew
2nd Jun 2007, 23:18
Sylphie: not an issue as far as I can tell. I know people live in Ballarat, Geelong, etc. Even if you live in places like Berwick or Cranbourne you might only be 50kms from the airport but in peak hour you would have to allow 2 hours.
With our available days we have to be given 2 hours notice so if you live futher out you probably just sit around at home all day waiting for the call.

Jelly16
3rd Jun 2007, 12:23
Hello,
I have been invited to attend a VRD day in MEL mid this month and am flying over the night before and leaving in the evening on the day of the VRD. Does anyone know what time it goes till if selected all the way though? I understand that its an all day event. Id need to catch a taxi about 6 or so to get to the airport to catch my flight home.
Does anyone have any tips on preparing for the interview?
Smiles
Jelly16

Grove
4th Jun 2007, 09:58
Anyone have any news re..ref checks, medicals....hope I get a call soon!!

Grove
4th Jun 2007, 11:04
Bluepearl.. Have no idea what you are asking?? Doesnt make any sense??

sinala1
4th Jun 2007, 11:56
Short answer - No. Sorry!

Reserves are part of everyone's roster, but currently we have no casual cabin crew (excluding cross trained ground crew in outports).

Sylphie
4th Jun 2007, 12:50
Hi Jelly,

The VRD can last up to any time, I've met people who went home after the whole day ended at 4pm for them, and others were still there at dinner time. When I went to my VRD in MEL last year, I was just leaving at almost 6pm. It is wise to book the latest flight possible, last year I met a girl at the interviews who was cutting it so very fine to make her flight back to Adelaide, that she had to change it because she was still waiting to do her 1 hr interview.

Good Luck for your interview! :ok:

Sylphie
6th Jun 2007, 11:47
With regards to hairstyles, you mentioned the appropriate length, but are girls allowed to have fringes?

flitegirl
6th Jun 2007, 12:59
No, bad 80s fringes are definitely inappropriate. But perms are fine.

Sylphie
6th Jun 2007, 13:25
Oh.. I didn't say anything about "bad 80s" fringes, I was just meaning side fringes, or blunt flattering ones.. as long as they didn't get in your face.

I only ask because I've seen people with these hairstyles at interviews, and just wonder if it's something they make them change once hired.

wirgin blew
8th Jun 2007, 12:50
Its another way of doing things and adds value to your resume when you transfer internally. However the downside is that you must be a good employee whilst you are ground crew as your record will be looked at when transferring.

Brisvegasboy
9th Jun 2007, 06:21
I think somebody might be getting a little confused.....it QANTAS that allows perms, not Virgin....

flitegirl
9th Jun 2007, 07:45
I think somebody didn't get that I was taking the mickey

SocialFlyer
13th Jun 2007, 07:39
Hi Guys,

Did anyone attend the Virgin Blue Recruitment day for the Melbourne Cabin Crew positions, today at the IBIS?

I just got back home now from it.

Sonique
14th Jun 2007, 01:09
Speaking of what's allowed...since when have virgin blue cabin crew been allowed to carry back packs on their backs through the terminal. It come complete with crew tags too ! Almost choked on my latte :O

This chick obviously doesn't like a suitcase on wheels ! Is that allowed ? Just didn't really suit the f/a image in my opinion.

smartalec888
14th Jun 2007, 02:04
The suitcase on wheels is a better suited look...

Usually if you see CC without bags that usually means they have people.

roamingwolf
14th Jun 2007, 03:10
HostieHoney

I used to be CC for Qantas & Actually Qantas prefer a blue rinse to a perm...

Hey your first name wouldn't be lisa would it?

DJCCGuy
14th Jun 2007, 05:44
With regards to the bags, Crew are issued a company Crew Bag, which is a shoulder bag, and they are to be used at all times when in uniform. Personal bags are not allowed.

We are also allowed to carry one additional bag with us, such as a laptop bag, food cooler bag etc.

The overnight bags must be a wheelie style suitcase, being all black or all red, so a backpack style is not allowed under the Grooming & Uniform Regulations.

Do any other DJ crew here dislike the shoulder Crew Bag? I find it is bad for my back and shoulders, and have heard they are trialling a wheelie style crew bag for us also? Can anyone confirm?

roamingwolf
14th Jun 2007, 08:05
hostiehoney
you would be hard put to offend me.i'm always getting a dob because of a sense of humor.

who is lisa robertson and my name isn't ralph

smartalec888
15th Jun 2007, 02:02
HostieHoney, Congratulations on getting the position with Virgin... a friend was also accepted today/yesterday after passing the medical...

Did you attend the Mel or BNE recruitment day?

SocialFlyer
15th Jun 2007, 06:04
HostieHoney,

Can I ask how long ago you went through the recruitment process and which state it was in? I attended the Melbourne session on Wednesday and made it through to the end and now waiting to hear back. Just wanted to get an indication of timelines for medical, references etc.

Thanks

Sylphie
15th Jun 2007, 10:53
LOL sorry flitegirl, I didn't pick up on it.

Good Luck SocialFlyer and congrats to HostieHoney! Ground crew would still be heaps fun [though stressful as all hell, haha] and you don't have to wait quite as well to reapply that way. That's my gameplan if I ..*gulp* don't progress with cabin crew.. I've applied for Cabin Crew about two weeks ago so hopefully I don't have to wait really long for an invite.

:uhoh:

smartalec888
15th Jun 2007, 12:19
Hosiehoney:Sorry to have gotten too carried away! That's awesome that you got GS! I've heard from a mate that PER-BNE (either direction) is a right kerfuffle....

If anyone's interested... apparently VB are intending to hold monthly recruitment days.... sounds like there's alot of positions to fill.

SocialFlyer
16th Jun 2007, 00:42
Hi Guys

Congrats HostieHoney on your achievement of getting a position with Virgin as Ground Crew. I know of a few people who started on ground, then worked towards Cabin Crew and now are supervisors. They say that having all the ground and flying experience gives you a great competitive advantage if you want to progress.

As for me my final interview with Virgin for Cabin Crew was on Wednesday and now it's the painful waiting game to see if I got a medical and reference checks. Spoke to a few people on the day and apparently they are saying Virgin is having a minimum of 1 ground school per month for Cabin Crew for the remainder of the year. That would be over 100 or so positions if that the case, therefore I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities. I also heard the recruiter saying they had a number of recruitment days planned.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress to date.

Cheers
SocialFlyer

poplover
16th Jun 2007, 01:57
Hey guys,

has anyone else here been accepted for the CC training starting 9 july!
they called me on friday and told me i have been in shock ever since! i'll have to move up from SYD.

SocialFlyer
16th Jun 2007, 06:05
Congratulations Poplover, thats great news.

Are you moving to the Melbourne or Brisbane base? Can ask how long ago you had your interview?

Cheers
SocialFlyer

poplover
16th Jun 2007, 06:58
Thanks, i had my VBRD about 5 weeks ago now so everything happend quite fast! quicker than i had thought, i'll be moving to BNE so desperate to find a nice place nice person to share with, whats your story, what base wil you be at. all the best!

In adittion to the eabove if anyone knows a good website to find a place or if you are looking for someone to share with or you know anyone please let me know asap, the unit/house has to be fully furnished (but will be able to bring own bed roon furniture).

Oh and will be checking some places in BNE this Tuesday (19th june)
Thanks guys.

dj_candidate
16th Jun 2007, 08:40
This thread is ballooning of late with newly accepted and nervously hopefuls so thought I'd add myself to the list.

Like Social Flyer I had my final interview this week. Can anyone who's been to recent VRDs say what the ratio was from morning to afternoon? We started with 33 and finished the day with 22 (29th May). Candidates that flew in from interstate were given 2nd round interviews that day and locals were called soon after with times and dates for theirs.

Poplover, congrats on getting the 9July training group - I have to give my employer 4 weeks notice (been there too long) so even once I get over the hopeful shock I'll still have an age to wait. As for your accomodation predicament: there is a website seqrents.com.au (http://www.seqrents.com.au)that lists a lot of the unit, townhouse and apartment accomodations in South East Qld, regularly they have private adverts for share also. Don't be too hopeful that Brisbane prices are markedly different to SYD unfortunately.

Well done to those starting soon, and fingers crossed for everyone still waiting. :ok:

Sylphie
17th Jun 2007, 02:33
Wow. Have they changed the VRD format of late? When I went May last year it was all in one day and then wait for reference checks or possible medical invites. What's this final interview you speak of? :eek:

dj_candidate
17th Jun 2007, 03:21
Hi Sylphie

I understand that a single day for recruiting is the standard procedure: 5min 1-on-1 introductions, couple of group excercises and then after a break those that progressed come back for the exam and more in-depth 1-on-1's.

However, due to the numbers that were progressed, many of the in-depth interviews were held on a separate day. Given there were 22 to do, and the first was scheduled for 2pm, some would have been in for a VERY long night. This possibility was pre-empted in emails confirming our attendance at the VRD.

I have noticed a new question in the online application asking if candidates would like recruitment to be held on weekends, would be beneficial for those who currently work full-time and don't have very understanding bosses.

edited: typo

smartalec888
17th Jun 2007, 04:22
Whoever said that VB will be having monthly ground schools is correct... also will be having (if numbers persist which i'm sure they will) monthly recruitment drives (if not more) there's 2lined up for July atm and possibly 3.

joshgem
18th Jun 2007, 06:05
Hello,

I am very new to this forum, i am going to be attending my first vrd for ground staff this week, is anyone out ther able to give me an insight of what to expect as you can imagine i am very nervous.

Thanks in advance

Joshgem

joshgem
18th Jun 2007, 08:27
Thank you for your quick reply, i will take it all onboard.

Anyone else been through the vrd directly through virgin blue, just wondering if it is done similar to the previous post.

thanks

SocialFlyer
18th Jun 2007, 11:24
Hey Guys,

Well i received an email from the recruitment team today stating I have been progressed through the recruitment day and they will be in touch within 2 weeks to discuss my application.

I have no idea what to expect next, but i'm assuming they mean references and medicals. Ohhhh the pain of waiting.

Has anyone else heard back yet?

dyal1
20th Jun 2007, 12:05
hey everyone
it is exciting to hear that Virgin Blue are planning to have several recruitment days soon and plan to hire many CC in the near future. I applied with DJ several months ago but was not invited to any of the recruitment days that i have been reading about in this forum lately.:( To all those people that were invited, well done. Im 19, currently in university with only 1 job reference (customer service based). Id like to know whether u think i have a chance at getting asked to attend the upcoming VRD's. Were there any hopefuls with similar backgrounds to me? Do Virgin Blue hire 19 year olds?
Id hate to miss out on this opportunity when a major airline is hiring.
Any ideas??
Thanks

Melisa
21st Jun 2007, 10:44
Hey HostieHoney! Congrats on getting Ground Crew! So i guess il be seeing ya at work when you start! Are you with Westaff cause im employed through them as well.. Kinda fighting for hours at the moment though but hopefully it will pick up soon when it gets busier..

SocialFlyer
21st Jun 2007, 11:50
Melisa,

Well done on getting the position as Ground Crew. I have a few friends in Melbourne working as Ground Crew and seem to like the work and opportunities they are presented with.

As for me it's been a week and a half since my final interview for Cabin Crew and I am still waiting patiently for the next stage to see if my references will be checked. The last email said I had progressed past the interview and more information would come within 2 weeks. Hope to hear something by next Wednesday.

Fingers crossed guys.... I'll keep you posted. Has anyone from Melbourne Recruitment on 13 June heard back yet???

sinala1
21st Jun 2007, 12:47
I am still waiting patiently for the next stage to see if my references will be checked. The last email said I had progressed past the interview and more information would come within 2 weeks.

I don't mean to jinx you but I daresay if you have recieved an email saying your application Has been progressed, then yes reference checks are pretty much a certainty :ok: If you had failed at interview stage, then your application wouldnt be progressed...

Good luck! :O

SocialFlyer
23rd Jun 2007, 06:50
Hi Guys,

For those who have been through the Virgin Blue medical for Cabin Crew could you please tell me how it works with regards to payment etc.... At the recruitment day they said you pay for your own and it could cost anywhere between $190 and $250. Is it similar to the Qantas ones where you are required to go to a CASA approved doctor??? Or do they send you to their doctors and you pay for the entire process at the one location???

Thanks guys

ozangel
23rd Jun 2007, 07:54
having been through both, i can tell you now the process for each is exactly the same.

The main difference is, the virgin one costs about $175, whereas the QF one set me back more than $300 after pathology etc.

Medically they both test for the same stuff. They will both allocate a doctor to visit.

Sylphie
27th Jun 2007, 09:35
and then after a break those that progressed come back for the exam and more in-depth 1-on-1's.

Sorry to come back with mooore Qs but, by 'exam' I take it you mean there is no Role Play anymore? What's the exam? :uhoh:

I received an invite for the July 17th VRD. So it didn't take too long to get an invite it turned out. Yehh!

SocialFlyer
27th Jun 2007, 12:20
Hi Sylphie,
After the first cut on the day all the people who progress in the afternoon are taken into the room and required to complete a 20 minute test where you read various passages and use the information to answer multiple choice questions. It tests your skills in reading and comprehension and using information to answer questions. It's not difficult, fairly easy. I managed to complete the entire test and even go over it again, but there were some people who didn't finish it in time. I don't think it really matters if you don't complete it, it's more to see how much you get correct of what you do complete.
Following the short test you are then given time slots to attend the 1 on 1 in depth interview (mine lasted around 50 minutes) and then another time slot to complete the role play (around 10 minutes)
I finished up at 5.00pm on the day which was long considering I started at 7.30am. Expect to be sitting around waiting a lot. A word of advice people got very slack when sitting around waiting and were slouching, talking on mobiles complaining about waiting etc.... Remember you are ALWAYS being watched at all times so no matter how tiring it gets keep smiling, posture straight and focus. Cabin Crew spend a lot of time waiting around delays, standby, reserves etc... Its all part of the assessment... I suggest you get into the frame of mind from the start of day that YOU ARE CABIN CREW and start behaving like them. Think about when you go to the airport and you always stare at how they behave, you have to pretend the day of your interview is a flight ie.. the waiting area is the airport, and the assessment room is the cabin (that's what i did anyway).

Sylphie are you based in Melbourne or Brisbane???

Sylphie
27th Jun 2007, 12:55
I'm in MEL. The invite was also for MEL base. Fingers crossed!

Wow. Amazing how things change in a year. I went to a VRD May 06 and got all the way through the day. The test we had last year was similar, but done when the group assessment was done, but I think it was more general VB knowledge. I recall being there from 7.30am til around 5.30ish. It was a very long day especially when you're waiting around and feeling nervy.. and I also noticed people slouching, slipping off their shoes, getting impatient. [I'm not saying I'm perfect but I was mindful of this and didn't even have my phone on except for lunch]

Thanks for the info SocialFlyer, best of luck, I hope you get it! :ok:

PER210
28th Jun 2007, 08:51
does anyone know when DJ are starting the regional routes?

Grove
28th Jun 2007, 11:42
Anyone know how long after medical you could expect to hear back for Virgin?? Waiting Waiting and more Waiting!!!

SocialFlyer
29th Jun 2007, 05:05
Hey Grove,

Noticed you are from Sydney, did you attend the Sydney or Melbourne recruitment for Cabin Crew??? How long ago was your interview and medical?

joshgem
29th Jun 2007, 13:28
Hi everyone,

I had my vrd on 21 st of june for ground crew, made it through the whole day, i could hardly contain my excitement.

Got a phone call from virgin blue last night (28th thurs) i have an interview at the airport this friday can anyone tell me what to expect they said it will only go for approx 45 mins, is it a similar interview to the one at the vrd day, the one in the second half of the day , the questions where they wanted specific examples of, tell me about a time when......

Hope this makes sense.

thanks guys.

joshgem

wirgin blew
30th Jun 2007, 04:19
does anyone know when DJ are starting the regional routes?

E-Jets (Embraer) 170 will be intergrated into the network by the end of the year. I think we are getting 3 by the end of this year and the rest by the end of next year. BG is looking at around 60 regional ports (June Voyeur) to attempt and work out which ones could possibly accomodate the E-Jet and also make money for VB. I dont think that you will see the regional ports serviced till next year but who knows. I think more likely you will see them used on either short sectors out of SYD such as CFS or possibly CBR. The Lounge members have recieved information that a Lounge is coming to CBR so expect a big push to get the Government on board.
I have been told that CC will be asked to put in an expression of interest to fly on the E-Jet initially and that by the time we have all the planes the whole CC will be cross trained on both types.

SkyHighFlyGal
30th Jun 2007, 07:25
Hi All,

Just a quick q - I have previous experience with both DJ and Ansett as cabin crew, and am trying to get back into the job... I've had my CV active with DJ for a couple of months now, have been 'blue starred' and I still have not heard anything.

I've said I will go to a MEL or BNE base (currently living in BNE). I believe they are actively recruiting cabin crew at the moment - is that correct? I am just wondering why I haven't heard anything, as I seem to have everything they want...

Do you think because I previously worked there but left, that this will go against me?

I'm through to final checks with Emirates now, but did love the fun atmosphere of DJ!

SHFG:p

wirgin blew
1st Jul 2007, 12:55
Do you think because I previously worked there but left, that this will go against me?
Maybe. They know everything about your work history already and can see whether or not your worth having back or not.

jetflite
2nd Jul 2007, 01:12
Guys & Girls,
My partner is interested in DJ as CC.
Whats the Pay like ?
and whats the training process like ?
Eg: Is it 4 weeks? 6 weeks and conducted in Bris or Mel ?
What are the chances of getting Bris as your CC Base ?
she was in dubai with Emirates, will this hinder her efforts or help?

Any info would be great, feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
JF.

SkyHighFlyGal
2nd Jul 2007, 06:03
Hmmm... for all intents and purposes my personal file they hold should be good... I was promoted to Cabin Supervisor within 10 months of being there, so my performance monitoring must have been ok... :confused:

Oh well, will keep updating my application and see what pans out....

SocialFlyer
2nd Jul 2007, 08:19
Hi SkyHighflyGal,

In response to your question about re applying, my mate worked for them for 3 years and then left to work for Emirates for 3 years. He recently returned and has rejoined Virgin as Cabin Crew again. He had no problem re joining. At the end of the day I guess they understand that the crew would also like to experience long haul if the opportunity is there.

I cant see it being a problem.

jessygirl
5th Jul 2007, 01:14
I'm also interested in what Virgin Pays ?
and what the training process is and how long it takes?

any information would be greatly appreciated...

ishkaban
5th Jul 2007, 10:38
Regards to training, currently the CC training is 5 wks, although I believe the next training group (100) which starts next week in BNE is a 4 week course.
Pretty sure they are compacting it down a bit.

Throughout the training you are paid a gross of around $550 (approx), then once completed your BASE gross is around $650.(approx)

Training basically consists of ALOT of theory such as regulations, standard operating procedures, emergency procedures etc. Only around 1/4 of the training is what actually happens with service between take off and landing.

It is a highly intensive very full on training period, and the expectations are high.
You really can't go out on weeknights / weekends etc as your focus on study and learning is required to successfully complete the course.
People do fail the training!

Saying that its a hell of alot of fun too and the instructors and fellow crew really bond throughout the training period. Which gives you alot of confidence once you go online

jessygirl
6th Jul 2007, 03:37
ishkaban - Thaks for the info, greatly appreciated.

If your base wage is $650 after training do you recieve flying hours allowance eg: $15p.h and away from home allowance ?
Whats the annual income ?

The training seems similar to emirates airlines.

thanks.

ishkaban
6th Jul 2007, 12:14
No flying hrs allowance, as you are paid a full time wage.

There may be times where may only actually work 3/4/5 days a week and then have a cpl of available days, where they may call you. If so a generous call out fee is offered plus penalty style rates while flying

Also Virgin offers 4 weeks paid annual leave and also 2 weeks paid ad hoc leave. So thats 6 wks a year, which is pretty good.

I guess the additional income is made from overnights, which is around $90 per night tax free allowance. Once online you can request as many or as little as you like. Typically you may do 3 or 4 a week.

Important to note that VB is undergoing a massive growth phase due to E jets later this year and also LH next year etc . So there will be a lot of oppurtunity in the near future for quick advancement up the chain, if thats what you are looking for. It is the ideal time to look into working for VB.

Its hard to give an accurate figure on a yearly salary, as it depends on the individuals chosen work patterns and such but perhaps a figure could be around $60000pa

joshgem
6th Jul 2007, 14:22
I was just wanting some advice in regards to the medical, when they do the urine test do you think antidepressants would show up, should i tell them that i was on them, i have recently stoppped taking them about 8 days ago.

thanks in advance

joshgem

SocialFlyer
6th Jul 2007, 22:12
Hi Guys,

With regards to medicals did they contact you by telephone or e-mail for the medical?

I'm still waiting patiently...

Cheers
SocialFlyer

ishkaban
6th Jul 2007, 22:58
You will be conatcted via phone for the need to have a medical.

Once results have been sent to VB, the recruitment dept will then contact by phone to advise whether you have been accepted for a position.

If you have already done a medical and are waiting for a reply , as long as the medical is good, I would be confident that you would be contacted for a position.

Just bear in mind that the recruitment dept is super busy at the moment, so it may take a little.

smartalec888
7th Jul 2007, 01:54
In regards to the urine tests, they are looking obviously for an all clear but... they test urine for 4 types of drugs...

1. Marajuana (this is fat soluble so for those users I suggest that you give up atlest 6-12months ago as it sits in the fat of your body and slowly dilutes; slowly meaning months/years)
2. Amphetamines
3. MDMA
4. Ice

Not sure if the last 3 go under the same heading, but I do know they test it for those sorts of things, and YES they will watch you so boys don't bother using your g/f's because high levels of estrogen will appear.

Sylphie
7th Jul 2007, 07:04
Joshgem; It is wise to tell them you were on anti depressants, regardless of a urine test, they will still be asking you all about your past medication prescriptions and hospitalisations even your family's history at some airlines. Omitting information can be grounds for a fail if found otherwise.

You can't be discriminated against for being on anti-d's. And the reasons therein are not going to affect your job as a FA. Anyhow, I have heard they give you the opportunity to state why you were on that medication or had that operation etc.

Perhaps someone who has done the VB medical can clarify? :8

SkyHighFlyGal
9th Jul 2007, 01:48
A girl I trained with at DJ confided in me that she was on ADs at the time of medical, but didn't want to tell them because she thought that while they technically "wouldn't discriminate", she thought if they wanted to they could blame something else on her "non employment" when really it was the ADs... to cut a long story short, she got through, remained on the ADs and was never questioned otherwise.

Up to you how you want to play it, but I think if you disclose that you run a risk that they have some ammunition to not employ you... but if you don't disclose, you are not being honest.... depends on which way you want to play it!

Good luck

SHFG:p

ak3141
9th Jul 2007, 02:16
Salary is a somewhat grey area during training but here is a basic rundown. Your standard fortnightly salary consists of the following:
1. Base pay
2. DTA
3. Misc expense reimbursement allowance
4. Grooming and uniform allowance

The items above taxed. In addition to the above, the following items are added and are also taxed:
5. Overtime penalties
6. Supplementary payment (for missed breaks)
7. Draft pay (flat payment when assigned a duty on a day off)
8. Available pay

Available pay is in addition to your base salary. These are days where no flying duty is assigned but you are on call and if called out, you have to work. The positive side of this is that you get paid approx. 1.3 x base rate per hour worked. This can make a significant difference to your salary. You can denominate these days so that the hours worked count towards your monthly duty hours but you won't get paid the extra money.

9. Overnight allowance. This is the last component of salary and is untaxed. Items 1-8 comprise your gross salary from which tax is deducted and then your overnight allowance is added to this amount to arrive at Nett salary.

Gross earnings per year, including overnight allowance, varies amongst crew members but is typically in the range of $50-60k. Lastly, superannuation is something that is overlooked and is only paid on the base component of salary, which is about $33k.

Hope this clears things up!

SocialFlyer
9th Jul 2007, 11:15
Hey Guys,

Have any of the Virgin Crew on this forum heard any news about future ground schools in Melbourne. I am still waiting patiently for contact about my medical, but from what I hear there is a hold up on Ground Schools in Melbourne. Few people who attended the recruitment day on 13 June and late may are at the same stage as me, references checked, but now waiting for medicals. Ohhhh the waiting game.

Any truth in this?

wirgin blew
10th Jul 2007, 04:25
but from what I hear there is a hold up on Ground Schools in Melbourne

Perhaps as the Embraer's is what we are all waiting for I guess. 18 of them over the next 18 months + another 9 737's on order.
So no I havent heard exactly what is going on but just trying to give some more reasons for you.

Cheers.

SocialFlyer
10th Jul 2007, 04:44
Thanks for the response WirginBlue

I guess I just have to keep waiting. I heard there is a ground school on the 08 August in Melbourne and they have contacted some people for that last week. Perhaps they are just working through the list.

I'll keep holding on (As Kim Wilde once said, LOL)

Cheers
SocialFlyer

joshgem
10th Jul 2007, 08:03
well i have just come back from my medical, all went well except my urine test showed negative for opiates:uhoh: the nurse asked me if i had had any codeine, i said i took 2 nurofen plus tablets last night for my headache, so now my urine has to be sent of to the lab for a more in depth test, i can not beleive this, they told me not to worry as it was only over the counter tablets because of the positive it has to be sent off i hope this does not jepordise my employment in any way.

anyone out ther had this happen to them or know of someone that has.

thnks guys .

joshgem

dj_candidate
10th Jul 2007, 08:40
Hiya joshgem

From experiences of friends in the past I decided to abstain from all 'plus' and 'forte' over the counters from when I had my full interview. Poppyseeds were also on my 'avoid' list!

Friend had a false positive come back on their urine - it was sent away for the further testing - came back as 'inconclusive'. Then they had to do a 2nd urine test about a week later! $$$$

You'll be fine - but if you were like me last week any little thing that seemed as tho it could delay your possible starting in any way just became the thing of nightmares.

Anyone on the board starting on the 13August? I found out yesterday :)

joshgem
10th Jul 2007, 09:47
Thanks dj candidate, im sure i'll be fine, but im going through hell now thinking the worst.
congats on making it.

Sylphie
10th Jul 2007, 10:05
Joshgem did you end up telling them about the AD's? I hope everything works out for you. :)

joshgem
10th Jul 2007, 11:55
no i didnt tell them about the ads the question was not asked, still am stressing about taking the nurofen plus though.

DJ_Fly_Boi
10th Jul 2007, 21:46
You should have been given a form to fill in prior to the drug screen - where you would have indicated ANY MEDICATIONS that you had taken in the period leading up to the testing. If you advised at this time that you had taken the Nurofen etc - no problem.

Its when you wait until the test is negative to say, "ohh yeah - I took a ?????" that you have a problem.

If you have done in it the right way - there shouldnt be a problem.

:)

A320 galleybitch
10th Jul 2007, 21:50
joshgem

You will be fine. They only test for certain types of drugs in urine tests. I know someone who was in your predicament. They had been taking AD's til 2 days b4 the medical, tested (false) positive for benzodiazepines (like sleeping tabs), had their urine sent to lab and came back negative. AD's usually only stay in your system for a week, as was told to my friend by their doc after they freaked out for the exact same reason you are.

Stay calm, and ring the medical centre every couple of days til you get the result. You are entitled to find out the results, I presume you paid for the medical. Stay on them til you get an answer. :)

SocialFlyer
11th Jul 2007, 13:25
Hey Guys,

FYI... There is a Cabin Crew ground school starting in Melbourne on the 6th August and people have already been contacted for that. In addition I think there is one also planned for the last week of August or 1st week of September which people will be contacted for in the next couple of weeks.

There's my latest gossip for the day...... Good luck to everyone

joshgem
12th Jul 2007, 03:17
thanks everyonr for all your positve feedback, im sure everything will work out, the hardest part is waiting hopefully i will know by tomorrow, i called them this morning the results wont be back till tomorrow morning so i guess i will have wait till then.

thanks
joshgem

SocialFlyer
13th Jul 2007, 10:17
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if some Virgin Cabin Crew can answer some of these questions for me:

1. With the pay per fortnight is the base pay per fortnight paid seperately to allowances? ie.. you get the base, and then allowances in arrears?

2. Apart from the base pay and overnight allowance of $91.26 is there any additional allowances paid, and if so are they paid per fortnight or monthly?

3. Could someone please provide me with the exact base salary for a 1st year Cabin Crew? The information given at the interview states that during the training period pay is $572.88 gross per week, and then $652.74 gross per week when online. Does anyone have the annual figure?

I'm just trying to work out how much pay is on average for a first year cabin crew.

Thanks

SocialFlyer
16th Jul 2007, 10:32
Hey guys,

Well I got an email from Virgin stating that I had progressed through the Cabin Crew recruitment process, and based on current demand I have been placed on a 'wait list' for up to 6 months for a position to come up in Melbourne. The e-mail states that once a position comes up in a ground school I will be contacted for a medical. From what I am told, Virgin don't keep you on the wait list for too long, so hopefully thats the case this time.

So I guess now it's a true waiting game for a Melbourne ground school to come up. I know there is one on 06 August, but further to that nothing scheduled. Fingers and toes crossed something comes up for September or October.

Anyone else from Melbourne get the same e-mail. I know 2 people who made it through with me on the day that received the same advice.

Cheers
SocialFlyer

Sylphie
23rd Jul 2007, 13:22
Hey SocialFlyer that's great news! :}

I went to a VRD on the 17th of this month and got through the whole day! They said they were hiring for a wait list as they hadn't arranged any ground schools yet. So that rumour is true.

I received an e-mail today stating that my "application has been progressed past the recruitment day" and that they would provide fortnightly updates on the status of my application. It makes me a little nervous because they state it is still not a "successful or unsuccessful" but that it is "still being progressed". That makes me wonder. I really hope they contact my references. That would be awesome!

DJTibby
23rd Jul 2007, 13:49
Awww wow congrats guys thats great! :) :D
I have noticed that a few people said they were getting the "you have been progressed past the recruitment day" email. Has anyone who has gotten this failed and not actually gotten the job? It used to be pretty certain that if Virgin called referees/asked for medical that the job was pretty much yours providing your references and medical were ok. (With some exceptions of course). However I assume that has changed now with so many people getting the progression letter... Or perhaps it is just that so many new recruits are needed! Would be interesting to know!

Sylphie
23rd Jul 2007, 15:06
Has anyone who has gotten this failed and not actually gotten the job?

I sure hope not. Would be very interesting to know! :confused:

SocialFlyer
23rd Jul 2007, 22:37
Hey Guys,
I spoke to 2 people at my recruitment day who made it through till the end and then got the unsuccessful e-mail. After the recruitment day you can expect your references to be called within 2 weeks, and then you will get another e-mail if successful at that stage advising that you have been progressed and awaiting positions to arise. These days Virgin will only send you for a medical when they have a confirmed ground school start date for you.
Hang in there, they need quite a few people on the wait list to cope for the upcoming new aircraft and also to fill the gaps for crew which may transfer to the Long Haul operation. In addition, they may be updating their training program to include the Embraer aircraft as part of training for new crew, that would make sense to include it in the training. Who knows, we can guess all day....

Another hint, go have a look at your application online and you will notice that the status of your application will change as you are going through the recruitment process. I noticed mine has changed three times, and recently it states something about "upcoming cabin crew training schools". Let me know if your is the same.

Fingers crossed guys, keep us posted, ill do the same.
Cheers
SocialFlyer

br0wnie
24th Jul 2007, 00:42
I work for VB as Ground Crew... and speaking with other CC members they are slamming through groups at the moment. So hopefully you won't have to wait for too long!!

FlyingBoi80
25th Jul 2007, 04:02
Hi all,

Currently work for VB and have heard from a few people, one in senior management and two from other areas, that there is rumour Virgin Blue will be introducing a new travel class, becoming a two class airline, on its domestic network. This is also rumoured to have been told to one of the new training groups by Dave Rundall.

Has anyone else heard this floating around the network at all?

sinala1
25th Jul 2007, 05:05
The rumour of a "business" class has been around for some time, potentially using quick change seats a'la Ansett (ie 3 seats become 2, with a big armrest in the middle). I will, however, believe it when I see it :8

FlyingBoi80
25th Jul 2007, 05:47
Hi there,
thanks for ur response....yeah im with u, believe it when i see it lol. Thanks for your info tho, have a great day :D

wirgin blew
26th Jul 2007, 00:41
At the moment Virgin Blue cant use the name outside Australia due to a SQ agreement with VS hence the use of Pacific Blue when it was launched.
The idea of using V Australia is apparently so if at some stage in the future DJ can use the Virgin name over the Pacific it will be easy to change to Virgin Australia. Also the livery is very similar to the VS one so that will be easy to change also.
So give it a couple of years, SQ sell there stake in VS. Branson gives Godfrey the nod and all of a sudden you will have Virgin Australia.
Cant wait for the 777's to start.
:D:D:D:D:D

SocialFlyer
28th Jul 2007, 07:24
Hey Guys,

Anyone from Melbourne get the call for a medical? I got this week to attend a medical for Cabin Crew. Was told I have to have it done ASAP. I think there is a ground school in Melbourne set for September. Looks like things are on the move again.

YAY!!!!

SocialFlyer
31st Jul 2007, 22:16
Well Guys,

ITS OFFICIAL!!!!!!!! I GOT THE JOB as Cabin Crew in Melbourne........ Start 1st of September.... YAY!!!

I'm stoked.....

sinala1
31st Jul 2007, 22:52
Thats AWESOME Social Flyer, congratulations... I have been quietly watching your progression, I am glad to hear you finally got what you want... welcome aboard mate! :ok:

flybabyfly
3rd Aug 2007, 02:18
Hi Goshgem,

I recently had my guest services recruitment day and made it through the whole day. now i am waiting nervously for a email or a phone call. can you please let me know how you were contacted and how long you waited. Also were your references checked before you were contacted?

Also was anyone on this forum at the guest service day on 1st August? if so i would love to hear your progress.

Thanks

Regionalgirl
8th Aug 2007, 06:50
Did they say whether or not there will be a second interview? Know in the aviation industry I can guess they will contact you by email (if there is a 2nd interview) or by mail. Expect a bit of a wait of 1-2 weeks. Best of luck mate!!!!:ok: Let us know how you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!:O

flybabyfly
8th Aug 2007, 08:25
Ok, So far so good. I got a call today asking me to come in for a second interview at the airport. Im ver excited now!! My problem is though that I am leaving for Thailand in 1.5 weeks, and i want to have my medical before i leave. Does anyone know where the medical is at for VB guest services? I am thinking i will book it in now for after my interview.

crewbus
9th Aug 2007, 06:23
Hello

Does anyone know the rule surrounding reassignables?

If I call sick for 2 day trip starting on, say, Monday, but then on Monday afternoon I feel better and contact crewing to put me on reassignable for the Tuesday, how much notice do they have to give me?

Example, If I call at 6pm on Monday for work on Tuesday, can they put me on reassignable as early as 3am?

Hope someone knows the answer!

Thanks

Iguanahead
9th Aug 2007, 09:18
Hey SocialFlyer, remember me?

Congratulations my friend, it's fantastic news and well deserved after all your hard work and determination.

I'm really pleased for you and hope it's everything you wish it to be.

Safe flying my friend. It's about bloody time!

milbud
9th Aug 2007, 11:53
Crewbus, as per the EBA, if your reassignable was day1 of a trip then it can only be up to 2 hours prior to original sign on time. If last day of trip then duty can only extend 2 hours past original sign off time.
However, intermediate days, such as your day 2 then it states, as required.
It does however stipulate that it must comply with rest period and duty hour limitations.

Did you work on the Sunday? if so then minimum break buffer either side of single day off is 15 hours etc... if you signed off at 1500 on Sun then reassignable on the Tue can not start until 0600 on the Tue.

But alas your reassignable being day 2 of trip if you did not work Sun then it is feasible for them to put you on reassignable from 0400. That is the earliest duty start time. However this means that you then have 120min to sign on, just as for available...
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

SocialFlyer
9th Aug 2007, 14:06
IguanaHead,

How can i ever forget you. Yes after all this time finally i'm with Virgin. I took a break for a while from trying but then could not resist and had to have 1 last attempt. Had my uniform fitted, and now can't wait to start flying. Must catch up for a coffee in Sydney. Hope all is going well with Jetstar.

Cheers

SocialFlyer

blue_stew
12th Aug 2007, 07:12
On the last day of a MULTI day trip (2,3,4 days) - the earliest your reassignable can start is 6am (you dont have to answer your phone beofre that) and you have to sign off no later than 2 hour after your original sign off.

Earlier reassignable spans would only apply to intermediate days (ie days 2,3 of a 4 day trip).

more often they will give you an airport when you call to clear yourself - that we they've got you at the airport at 6.

Sylphie
21st Aug 2007, 10:09
Anyone got any updates on their recruitment process? Seems like a bit of a drought lately. :ooh:

smartalec888
22nd Aug 2007, 06:03
I'm attending VBRD on 4/9.

DJCCGuy
23rd Aug 2007, 05:40
Anyone heard any interesting rumours lately about what might be coming up for us at DJ? Have heard from CC Management that there will be quite a few changes happening in the cabin in the coming months...whatever that means? Any ideas? I know the rumour of a business class premium seating has been floating around...something which I think DJ would benefit from greatly, especially with our recent move to the corporate market, I think business class seating would help accomodate these passengers more...with the move away from a LCC, I think some product changes are definately required, ie newspapers on weekday morning flights... gosh lets go all out and serve complimentary tea and coffee on these flights also! Oh and an amenities kit on red eye services is something which I'm always being asked for. We definately need to continue to smarten things up...lets hope our product department are onto things!

KittyBlue
23rd Aug 2007, 14:49
With the introduction of the 3 tier velocity program, guest I believe e.g GOLD status, can swipe their Velocity Card in the Live2Air and recieve it free. Or flash their card and recieve a menu items.

More details will be coming out soon.... Just gotta wait.... DJ is getting better at not divulging to much until the right time.

DJCCGuy
24th Aug 2007, 00:43
With the introduction of the 3 tier velocity program, guest I believe e.g GOLD status, can swipe their Velocity Card in the Live2Air and recieve it free. Or flash their card and recieve a menu items.

Interesting...sounds believeable! Anymore rumours? hehe :D

wirgin blew
10th Sep 2007, 05:04
Whats going on folks. This thread has gone a bit quiet lately. Are you posting somewhere else or are you all working to hard.
No galley goss from me.

Want2Fly!
10th Sep 2007, 15:02
Hi everyone! :)

I couldn't find a "wannabees" thread for Virgin Blue, so I figured this is the closest thing to it? Send me packing if there actually is one! lol.

I received an email from DJ about a week ago inviting me to a Melbourne VRD on the 27th of September, which I'm very excited about and have already bought a suit and started preparing for.

I have a truckload of questions of course and am open to ANY advice or tips any person from the industry or just "in-the-know" can give me, but as a starting point - I'm wondering just how many people roughly would be attending this recruitment day and by the end of the day what number of applicants do they generally have still standing to proceed to the next step?

And also, I did my senior first aid through St John's last October (2006) and the senior first aid as a whole doesn't expire til 2009 but the CPR component (only having a 12 month life on it) will expire next month. Is it satisfactory that my CPR is still valid at the time of the recruitment day or do Virgin like close to a full 12 month life remaining on the CPR? Therefore should I book in for a refresher in the coming weeks? :confused:

Thanks guys!!

Sylphie
11th Sep 2007, 06:54
Hey Want2fly,

You will need at least 6 months on your CPR, so it's best you apply to do it very soon, the people checking the dates of issue at Virgin will be satisfied if you are booked to attend and have a receipt to show them that St John mail you within a week, just to prove you are keeping updated.

It seems to be roughly 30 or so people at the recruitment days and in both my experiences [been for DJ twice] it was roughly half of the people left at the end of the day, I think you'll find it seems to be the common amount. :)

There's actually a really informative post I was looking at and contributing to along with a stack of other people last year that is still very in tune with the recruitment process [bar maybe a different role play scenario etc] which you can find here: Virgin Blue Recruitment (Merged) (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229947[/URL)

You can't post on it as it's a locked thread but you will find a wealth of information throughout it! Hope that helps. Any more questions, post away! :ok:

Good Luck!

dyal1
11th Sep 2007, 07:36
hey

i too just recieved an invite to a VRD on the 3rd October in Melbourne. I am in the same boat as you want2fly as my cpr is about to expire so i booked myself in to renew it next week.

I am a little unsure about the invitation and the confirmation emails. After i applied for the VRD, i recieved an email shortly after stating:
Thank you for applying for the position of 8. Melbourne CC VRD 3 OCT 2007. We have received your application and placed your details on file within our recruitment database. Is this the confrimation email? Nowhere does it state we will see you on the day or anything like that. Maybe i am over looking things?

Any advice would be great.

Sylphie
11th Sep 2007, 10:10
No, the confirmation one will be a more detailed e-mail that you should get a lot closer to the recruitment day. It will have all the info, dates, times, location and some general info on it.

Want2Fly!
11th Sep 2007, 15:36
Thanks Sylphie!! :ok: That thread is a gold-mine of information about the VRD process. I've been reading every post word-for-word, making sure to take in everything, and I'm only up to the 8th page so far!

If I still have some unanswered questions after getting through it all, which I probably will, I'll be sure to ask. :}

And I'll be booking in for my CPR refresher at St John, only one session available before the day of my VRD, and it's the night before - I'm hoping it won't be too much of a brain-clutter - if anything, socialising and getting chatty with the people in the class might get me in the right state of mind or mood for the next day with Virgin.

Ta!

sinala1
16th Sep 2007, 05:18
Can someone provide a copy & paste of the most recent EBA update from the Union? Thanks :}

CHEIFTAIN
16th Sep 2007, 23:37
Just wondering if somone can idea on a Melbourne based roster. How many flight and duty hours on a typical roster? What the breakdown between overnights and day trips? Do you overnight more frequently in some ports more than others? Days worked per week on average? Are there short days or are they all long days etc. Any help would be appreciated.

uz32
18th Sep 2007, 13:25
Easy way to get the latest information from the FAAA on the EBA. Join and contribute to the collective.

wirgin blew
20th Sep 2007, 04:57
MEL base roster will be something like 10 RDO's, 4 available days, 2 airport reserve days, leaving about 14-15 flying days with around 110-120 duty hours and about 7-8 overnights.
Hope that helps.

PS Sinala: there is no latest EBA. we are still waiting for the new one so the old one is the 2002-2005 plus amendments which you can find at wagenet.

sinala1
20th Sep 2007, 08:13
Wirgin: I know that, I have been with the company a very long time :}

I was after the Eba Update # 33 thats on the FAAA website

uz32
20th Sep 2007, 08:55
From the FAAA website

"Virgin Blue EBA Update 33

This is a Members only News Article, click to find out more ..."

Join and pay your way, easy.

sinala1
20th Sep 2007, 09:53
uz32 I have my reasons for no longer being a member - very valid reasons - however I am still bound by decisions the FAAA make, hence my interest in the EBA update - but thanks for your input to this discussion, its been most helpful :hmm:

flytheplanemay
21st Sep 2007, 00:54
I agree uz32

Sinala, not many of us are big fans of the union, especially after the way the EBA was handled earlier on in the year, however many of us have kept our memberships. It does seem a little cheeky that you dont want to pay the fees, but want all of the information they provide.

A bit like the crew member who cant be bothered getting off the aircraft to get Red Rooster chips, but will then devour the chips that the other crew members buy!

My two cents worth.

sinala1
21st Sep 2007, 01:25
It does seem a little cheeky that you dont want to pay the fees, but want all of the information they provide.

Its not a case of wanting the information they provide for the sake of it - its a case of, as I quite clearly said, wanting information regarding decisions the FAAA makes that even as a non-member I am bound by. I was a member, and paid large amounts of money over the years in fees. As I said, there are very valid reasons as to my non-membership - not that its even relevant to this discussion.

And for the record - if I am going to red rooster, I always take orders from everyone else.

flytheplanemay
21st Sep 2007, 02:54
That is why we pay our fees. So we are in the loop with decisions that are made on our behalf. And if you want to know what is happening, pay your fees too and and then you wont have to scrounge for information elsewhere!

Have a good weekend.

uz32
21st Sep 2007, 05:21
You are bound by a collective agreement voted and agreed by all Virgin Blue crew. If a collective agreement does not suit you, maybe one of John's AWA's will suit you better. Check out Jetstar Int Cabin Crew AWA to see how well Flight Attendants do on individual contracts.

$11 per week, tax deductible - Less than 2 Latte's!!!

CHEIFTAIN
21st Sep 2007, 05:52
Thanks Wirgin blew. :O

sinala1
21st Sep 2007, 06:16
I am not going to bother continuing this discussion, neither of you have taken any notice to the points I have been making. I suggest instead of jumping up on your soapbox, you take into consideration the information given and attempt to understand the point of view I come from. :ugh:

Want2Fly!
22nd Sep 2007, 07:28
My VRD is only 5 days away now! :eek: (Thurs 27th) And I'm sooo excited, but the nervousness is starting to creep over me. Fortunately for me, I tend to talk a lot more and try to cover any nerves, rather than go all shy and quiet. But I really wish the day would arrive already! I can't stand waiting for it, lol.

I have my suit, tie and shoes organised. I've opted for a purple, thick striped tie, hoping to stand-out just slightly from the other blue or red-tie wearing guys. It'll be the purple tie on white business shirt under a plain black suit. It took me forever to decide on the tie - had to get the opinions of just about everyone I knew, hehe. :}

I've also been in touch with a DJ Cabin Supervisor that I was introduced to by a workmate and she has already given me some good tips and advice on the recruitment day process and what to expect. But she's been a bit busy of late, and trying to get through to her is a bit hard - I really want to rehearse the common interview questions with her and get her to evaluate my responses.

It's mainly the questions where they ask you to describe customer service situations I've dealt with including an angry or disgruntled customer, etc. I've noted down a few that I recalled and am trying to go over and over them in my head but I'm paranoid that I might go into far too much detail about them and wander off the main point, or I may try to summarise too much. :ugh:

Plus that all-important 'why do you want to work for Virgin Blue?' question I can just see myself saying so many irrelevant things. My response would be along the lines of; "I'd love to continue doing what I have a real passion for and that's working with the general public in a face-to-face customer service environment, constantly meeting new people, working in a fast-paced team environment which can really challenge and stimulate me, and doing so with Virgin Blue would be perfect because my outgoing, bubbly and hard-working personality is very well-suited to the style of service I receive from cabin crew on your flights."

How would you guys rate a response like that? Is that too wordy or have I left out some big brownie-points kind of things?

I was also advised to brush up majorly on what I know about Virgin Blue including their history, their ownership, management team, fleet size, number of destinations, inflight product, and future plans such as the Embraer jets and V Australia. I already know a great detail about all those things but I'll be making sure I do some more research there. :ok:

Any advice or help you can give in these areas would be awesome guys! And yes I have already read through the entire thread on Virgin Blue recruitment (the one from last year which is now locked) and followed the journeys of those guys from VRD to online flying - quite a great read. :cool:

wirgin blew
24th Sep 2007, 03:39
What does everyone think about the changes to the modified leave and attendance policy.
Please call ops by 2000 the night before and in extreme circumstances call 2 hours before. I would have thought that 2 hours was in the EBA and that was the end of that. I understand they have an airline to run but by writing this rubbish it just encourages the disenfranchised to call at 2 hours and 5 minutes.
Also the roster publish has been pushed back by a couple of days. Does this mean that we get paid extra because we didnt get our roster 7 days in advance?

flybabyfly
26th Sep 2007, 01:47
Hi All,
I Just recently got a job as Guest Services at Sydney, and I am so excited. My training starts in 2 weeks and I wanted to know if anyone could tell me who the discounts work? Is Virgin Atlantic included in the discount? Thanks Heaps xx

ishkaban
26th Sep 2007, 07:36
Head to the Virgin Blue intranet while at work - All offers are under the staff travel section

runway 25
27th Sep 2007, 10:00
Discounts of Virgin atlantic only apply to Vb emoployed staff. If you are contracted to weststaff of AA unfortunatly these dont apply..... Good luck with SYD GS. There are many challenges in such a busy port, but some great people there too! Have fun!

flybabyfly
28th Sep 2007, 00:52
Thanks for all the information on the discounts, i havent actually started yet so i cant look at the virgin intranet, i am employed by Virgin Blue so i am so excited about the virgin atlantic discount!! can someone tell me how much the discount is?

TINTIN25
1st Oct 2007, 12:01
Do you have to be really good looking to work as Sky Girl with Virgin Blue?

I have only seen beautiful girls and handsome guys working there?

Is this an un-written rule when hiring? There seems to be a huge preference towards blonde sky girls for some reason? Do they employ people that not white Australian to work as Sky Girls and Sky Men?

slice
2nd Oct 2007, 08:39
TINTIN25 WTF is a Sky girl ???

TINTIN25
2nd Oct 2007, 12:07
Sky girls (sky Men) are the special ones that bring me my drinks in flight? I think the modern generation prefer to call them Flight Attendants! I just like calling them Sky Girls! ;)

DJ_Fly_Boi
3rd Oct 2007, 09:32
Skygirls? Skymen?

What the?

Please get into the new century! - I am a Flight Attendant and I am a part of the Cabin Crew. I, personally, take offence to being called a "Skyman" or as "somebody who brings my drinks".

Flight Attendants of this modern generation are safety and service professionals - we are not employed because anybody 'thinks we are nice to look at'. We are employed based on a number of different behavioural competencies - Safety Orientation, Customer Service Orientation, Integrity and Team Working - just to name a few.

We are not 'Barbie Dolls' and 'Pretty Boys' - we are trained to; evacuate aircraft in the unlikely event of an emergency, to fight fires, perform CPR, deal with the death of passengers whilst in the air, to care for women that suffer miscarriages, to deal with people that faint, throw up and have numerous other medical conditions in the air - heart attacks, strokes etc. - there are many crew online with my airline - including myself that have dealt with many of the situations Ive mentioned.

No airline in Australia would employ crew merely for what they look like and they all employ crew from various cultural backgrounds and we come in all different sizes!

Yes, I will admit - grooming pays a part in our general presentation - but the uniform and grooming is a way of uniting your crew and making us proud to do the job that we do.

But to even suggest - that we are only employed on looks is an insult.

:=

groundcrewdude
3rd Oct 2007, 11:27
I feel for you! Each time we ground crew see the cc take to their flights, they are always cheery but yet so tired.....you guys do AN AWESOME JOB!!!! With those ex Jamstar (JQ) customers!!! They become better after being with us for a while!!!:)

ozangel
3rd Oct 2007, 11:47
groundcrewdude,

thats awfully nice of you to recognise. Thanks!

DJ_fly_boi... ignore tintin... he was rejected by his friends in dunuda and looking for new turf where he can leave his scent and stir the pot... he is either young and naieve or been around for too long and secretly disliked by everyone he meets (essentially old and naieve).

That said, I will take what he says as a compliment - although secretly suspect he certainly has not been on one of my flights!!!

wirgin blew
3rd Oct 2007, 14:47
Good to see TINTIN25 got banned. No doubt he/she will be back under another name at some stage.
Any news or gossip for me. It appears that the EBA will go unresolved for another year. Looking forward to 2008, not like the CC Dept didnt have enough to do with EMB, 777, SYD base and + the EBA. I wonder if it will be the EBA 2006-2008 or if it will just be from whenever it gets agreed upon +3-5 years.
:rolleyes::hmm::bored::sad::ugh:

Sylphie
5th Oct 2007, 08:34
After trying for over a year and a half I finally got offerred a position as MEL CC with Virgin Blue TODAY! Just had to burst out here. I'm very happy. I've always come here to receive the most awesome advice and info from everyone here. So I wanted to say thanks, as although I feel I did it, I did it with everyone's help.

Eeeee!

sinala1
5th Oct 2007, 09:02
:ok::ok:

Thats awesome Sylphie, congratulations on a job well done :)

Welcome Aboard :ok:

SocialFlyer
6th Oct 2007, 02:55
Sylphie CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Great news to hear that your dream has finally come true. I just finished my training and had my wings night last night, what an absolute blast (my head is pounding now!!!!!!!!!!!)... Be prepared for a hard 5 weeks but it is all worth it. The Melbourne trainers are great, they will definately look after you.. See you online after your training...

SocialFlyer

Want2Fly!
6th Oct 2007, 09:30
CONGRATULATIONS SYLPHIE!! :D

I read the entire thread from last year about Virgin Blue recruitment and had followed your journey back then and the journey of a few other hopefuls who now have a position with DJ, and it's really good to hear that you've finally achieved your dream! Well done.

I was reading that thread and getting a lot of tips and advice for my VRD which has come and gone (on the 27 Sept), and unfortunately I didn't get through - but I've learnt a lot from that day, mainly that I need to be a LOT more assertive in the group activity and be far less Mr. Nice-Guy when it comes to waiting my turn to speak! Two ladies who seemed to talk over everyone else and not give anyone else a chance to speak, actually got THROUGH! :mad:

I have a Jetstar assessment centre coming up on the 16th of this month so I'll take the experience with Virgin onboard and hopefully go one better with JQ. If I get in with them, well at least I'll be armed with some cabin crew experience to reapply with Virgin next year - which I'll certainly be doing no matter what! :E

Once again, congrats Sylphie and good luck with the training! You'll do great :ok:

flyinghigh_07
12th Oct 2007, 11:01
My first post!

But not the first time i have been here! i must say that so much of what is written all over this site helped me on my VBRD back on September 25th! BIG THANKS to everyone that posted info and awesome tips!
I made it all the way through the day, with my references being called the next day and getting the phone call to go for my medical less than 48 hours after i left the interview in Melbourne! I was a very excited!

However, i havent heard a peep from Virgin Blue since Sept 27th.
Is it normal to wait this long after the medical is done? the nurse and doc that did my medical said it was all good!!!???

SO i guess my two questions are:

1. Does anyone know if there any ground schools slated for Melbourne in November?
2. Is it normal to not hear anything for a while after the medical?

Thanks thanks thanks!
Everyone has been great!

SocialFlyer
14th Oct 2007, 08:05
Hi Flying High

In response to your question about ground schools starting in Melbourne there is one starting on the 5th November. There are plenty more planned so you may get called for one starting later in November or 1st week of December.

Good luck im sure you will get the call very soon.

Cheers
SocialFlyer

BlondieGal
23rd Oct 2007, 12:33
Hi there, have just been reading through the posts for an upcoming recruitment day and the tips are fantastic! Is anyone going through the recruitment process at the moment? It sounds like the waiting part is harder than the actual day! I have recruitment day coming up in November and am already so nervous! :{

Good luck to everyone trying to crack into this job! And I so envy the people that are currently living their dream!! ;)

BG

wirgin blew
27th Oct 2007, 01:28
Management have caved in and are keeping us on the current work rules for the next 12 months + 3% pay rise backdated to Sep 01.
Good news as far as I'm concerned. I couldnt imagine having to do 12 hour shifts, 5 or 6 sectors, MEL-PER-MEL trips, etc.
Common sense prevailed and the 89% who said no to the EBA finally got what they wanted.
:D

sharz87
28th Oct 2007, 09:03
hey guys!
just wondering if anyone out there can help me with some advice!
i'm currently working as a flight attendant for REX ( Regional Express) but have been offered a job wif jet*.. however i dont know if i should make the move because ive been reallly looking forward to trying to get into VB! From what ive heard jetstar cabin crew don't do over nites and hence the pay sounds slightly less than that of VB! soo what do you all think i should do?! make the move to JQ or hang out and try my luck at VB?

Much thanks. =)

SocialFlyer
29th Oct 2007, 04:05
Hi Sharz87

Look i can't speak for working for Jetstar because I have never worked for them myself, but I work for Virgin Blue and I can tell you it's a great place to work, and the money is great. There are alot of REX crew who have moved to Virgin and Virgin love them because of the skills they have developed to manage a cabin solo, work independent, and deal with a range of issues that arise due to working in a solo environment.

With regards to overnights you can expect to get 10 - 15 a month with Virgin, and lately all the rosters have been trips we rarely do day trips, its always overnighting. So i guess you need to figure out if you want to be way alot, or work for Jet star where you always get to be at home.

Another thing Virgin is expanding sooooo much in the next 12 months that there are so many opportunities, within 6 months you can get Cabin Supervisor especially someone like yourself who has prior experience.. Furthermore, with International starting that is always an option as well.

Good Luck.. Go VIRGIN, im biased though..

sharz87
30th Oct 2007, 03:22
hi socail flyer!
wow thanks soo much 4 ur advice!
yea virgin is definately where i wanna be..but i still feel bad passing up such a huge oppertunity like jetstar! i am very fortunate to receive such an offer and the risk being that if i don't take it and rather sit and wait for virgin i still may not even make it thru Virgins' recuitment process!

Juss a quick question do you have any ideas when the next recuitment would be? correct me if im wrong but is there is a ground happening at the moment?! i have a "blue star" referal so i dunno if that would help in getting me an interview?

thanks again
=)

indamiddle
31st Oct 2007, 11:37
socialflyer is right
part of the reason most fly is the social part
dta can make up income tax free, none on j*,
or at least very little

flyinghigh_07
1st Nov 2007, 00:23
Hi Sharz!

There is a ground school going ahead on dec 5th, and the only reason i know this is because i will be going to it! its in Melbourne though... hope this helps!

Oh also, I interviewed in september, and was told back then than the novemeber ground school was full... so it will be just over 2 months from the day of my intervoew to when i start training!
Very excited though!!!:D

Chris21
5th Nov 2007, 01:11
What is going on with rostering in BNE? in the last four weeks I have done one four day trip and that is it!!!! I had days off, the AVL days did not get called.. then days off then again 1APT and four AVL days. didnt get called again. My next Duty is a two day trip on Friday.. another week off..

Great if you have something at home. But I am the opposite to other crew I like going to work, there just is none!!! AAAAARRGGGHHHHH

SocialFlyer
5th Nov 2007, 06:18
Hey Chris,

Sounds odd. In Melbourne I have the total opposite, all 4 day trips and only 2x2 available days between that. Most the crew of spoken to have all trips.. Perhaps it's just a bad month for you. I'm sure next month you will get pumped.

Cheers SocialFlyer

sinala1
6th Nov 2007, 04:33
November is traditionally a quiet month, plus Brisbane has just had loads of crew come online in the last 6 months. At the moment Brisbane is probably a bit over-crewed, in preparation for crew doing E-Jet training... December/January will pick up again - here comes UMNR season!!! :8

DJCCGuy
6th Nov 2007, 07:35
I hear you! I have hardly any overnights for November...I have never seen so many airports ever in my roster...would be ok if people were getting called, but they're not! So far I've had 7 days off straight because I've had 3x airports and 2 x AVLs then days off! and the same thing is coming up again at the end of this month!

Lets hope with the new bidding system due to come in very shortly that it'll let us do what they say it will...pick the length of our trips!! Great for those who want to be away lots. Plus the option to bid for pairings with a friend will be great!

ozangel
7th Nov 2007, 04:51
A friend does not have a rostered flying duty for the first half of the month, more APT than you can poke a stick at though. 3 overnights, and hasnt flown in over a week...

Meanwhile, I have about 2 AVL and no APT this month, same as last month... with 9 overnights and a few red eyes...

I had a couple of rosters earlier on in the year where I hardly worked though... Luck of the draw I guess...

wirgin blew
7th Nov 2007, 22:42
My collegues dont forget we are going to increase the size of our fleet by almost 50% next year. I realise that this is only 3 crew aircraft but that means an increase of cabin crew numbers by close to 700. While this is going on I expect to see a reduction in the number of hours flown for the first six months next year. So enjoy the good times while they last.
Mid next year you will also start seeing LH CC training commencing and if they need say 500 CC to operate the LH operation then another large number of domestic CC will be required by the end of 2008.
Then you have all the DM's, BM's, trainers, head office transfers, mums to be and those just generally unhappy.
So lets say next year VB needs to train about 2000 CC just to keep the domestic flying going.
If you cant get a job as cabin crew in 2008 in Australia then you must really need to re-asses what you want to do in life.

exmax
7th Nov 2007, 23:09
Can anyone shed any light on whether there will be a SYD base opening up for DJ? Thanks in advance.

Exmax

sinala1
7th Nov 2007, 23:37
If you cant get a job as cabin crew in 2008 in Australia then you must really need to re-asses what you want to do in life.
I disagree, Wirgin - there are thousands of applications received every week - not everyone is going to be able to get a job as CC... I know some people who are so suited the role its incredible but can't get a job - and I know others who really are not suited to the role but do have it - and really should re-consider their employment...

I agree re the expansion though, here's hoping more people who really want the job are able to get in :ok:

Chris21
14th Nov 2007, 03:49
Dont know where to post this and as I never get called out I am bored so I will just write it in here.
I just flew with a new crew memeber (seven months with no previous flying experience) nice enough kid, really good intentions, looks pretty however I wish management would stop feeding these kids this rubbish that they can be a Cabin Supervisor after six months! its rubbish. Just because they meet the behaviours and not afraid to write propels does not make them good leaders when **** hits the fan. I aksed him if he had ever had a medical on-board, put someone on oxygen, had to PA for a doctor or nurse, ever been in a rejected landing or take off and the answer was of course NO. Granted some of those things will not happen all the time and it might be a while before any of it does.
He did a development flight and acted up on the last day of the trip and of course we had a medical. He had no idea, was useless in fact got in the way. Of course if its your first then nerves etc will get in the way I remember mine when a man was passed out in the front galley - I had no idea. My point I guess is that if management keep on pushing this apply for CS after six months business there is going to be a serious consequences as they dont have the experience.
I know that I dont want to fly with any of them .

DJCCGuy
14th Nov 2007, 05:19
There are already new CS's online who have recently done their conversion after being online for just 6 months. While it's great that there is so much opportunity for promotion at the moment, I believe it should be a requirement of atleast 12 months online.
Most crew are feeling the same about these new CS's, and it has caused a few problems on trips with regards to crew who have been here for 7 years, showing respect etc for their authority figure onboard, who has been doing the job for 6 months , and who are essentially still learning something new everyday...but what can we do? I haven't heard anything about the training etc that these new CS's are going through, but perhaps management aren't relying so much on the CS's for crew development etc these days as they were in the past, and are using the CS role as someone who completes the necessary paperwork, counts the cash and makes the PA's...something which doesn't require that much experience.

What is the amount of time required online as crew at other airlines before they can upgrade to a supervisor role?

Thoughts?

crewbus
14th Nov 2007, 07:23
Sydney base is getting up and running in Feb next year, according to an unplugged session a couple of months back. Though it is a base to be built up slowly, so dont expect any massive recruitment drives to fill up the Sydney base.

As for the CS who has been flying all of a year, please dont patronise us in briefing by talking about what to do in a rejected take off or such scenarios unless you are able to tell us what you would do - and I mean tell us what you would do in your own words, not word for word from the manual. Being able to think outside the square should be the main critieria observed when selecting a CS.

DJCCGuy
27th Nov 2007, 03:44
So we've been sent two emails now telling us that stage 1 of the new bidding system will be in place for bidding on the January roster, and that we should only bid for what we want, as the new system will do everything it can to make sure we get what we want... Do we think it's going to actually work? Lets hope so! Does anyone know what the extra bidding options are going to be that will be released with the next stage?

Oh and our new cabin bags have arrived...it's always fun to get something new! Now we need a whole new uniform to go with it! There's been lots of talk online about this...anyone know if it's actually going to happen?

sinala1
27th Nov 2007, 09:52
Oh and our new cabin bags have arrived
Unfortunately not! Another email came out today saying that they are further delayed... I wonder whats happened?

dj_candidate
27th Nov 2007, 11:55
Originally posted by Sinala1
... I wonder whats happened?

Galley-FM reports that the bags are unable to stand up once they have any contents...

Anyone want 1500+ wheelie bags with balance problems? - going cheap!

DJCCGuy
28th Nov 2007, 07:05
Galley-FM reports that the bags are unable to stand up once they have any contents...

Anyone want 1500+ wheelie bags with balance problems? - going cheap!

Thats so typical of the company! These bags were being trialled online by a number of crew for months...and they still can't get it right!

Big Hairy Potatoes
28th Nov 2007, 10:55
Thats so typical of the company! These bags were being trialled online by a number of crew for months...and they still can't get it right!

Ahem. The decision on the bags would have hinged a great deal on the feedback and critique of the bags by the crew in question. If the trial was conducted by crew for months and this has happened (if it is true) then the feedback on the bags must have been inaccurate. It astounds and annoys me that fellow crew bitch and moan about decisions that they had been involved in. Crew meals is another that comes to mind.

sinala1
28th Nov 2007, 11:03
Lets also not forget that it is possible that the bags have been not quite manufactured to the specifications given...

Either way its disappointing :(

Crew meals - I eat them! And I don't piss, moan or bitch about them...

wirgin blew
30th Nov 2007, 00:18
Bags returned to manufacturer I believe as the stand on the bottom wasnt far enough forward to keep them up. The bags arent as big as I expected but at least we can walk along with one wheelie bag in either hand with our chests out. :O
Meals are still under discussion whether they stay or go with managment blaming the tax office and our allowances as the reason behind this. I know we get paid a DTA for that but we cant be expected to buy a sandwich off the cart everyday and I am sure some crew wouldnt even bother buying them if you know what I mean.
Good news is the payrise backdated to the 1st of Sept. A little bonus for us all before XMas.

:D

DJ_Fly_Boi
30th Nov 2007, 19:45
We will be wearing the current uniform for years to come. - That was straight from the Horses mouth - so to speak.

The uniform may have its flaws - but its part of the branding - there have been some subtle changes to it over the past 7 years - but we wont be getting a new uniform anytime soon. The cost of designing and implenting a complete new uniform for over 2000 staff is just way to expensive, and could be deemed a waste of money.

Although some crew dont think we look professional - therefore dont think we act professional - I think looking professional is a state of mind, think back to training - we're professionally trained - it cant be too hard to act that way.

QF skywalker
30th Nov 2007, 23:18
From an outsiders point of view I have always liked the DJ uniform. The colours and design are great. It's not always so great wearing a scarf/tie everyday !

The only thing I would change about the DJ uniform is possibly the day bag/shoulder bag. It looks very 'uni student ' and perhaps a more professional image could be achieved with solid bag with the DJ logo.

Do the new wheelie bags have the DJ logo on them ? What colour are they and what do they look like ?

Safe landings guys ;)

DJCCGuy
1st Dec 2007, 03:33
The new wheelie bags are black, with a smallish Virgin Blue logo on the front.

All Cabin Crew have to give back their current shoulder bag before they will be given the new wheelie bag, so we will all soon be looking a little bit more professional with these new wheelie bags soon!

DJCCGuy
5th Dec 2007, 04:57
Have you submitted Safety/Hazard reports to the safety dept yourself? Don't rely on CC Management saying they will submit it on your behalf as it just may not get done... Apart from that perhaps if you're a union member contact the FAAA for further advice if the company isn't supporting you any further...hunching over with your back touching the cieling in the galley is insane!

dyal1
6th Dec 2007, 04:29
hi everyone

it is good to hear that V Australia will be recruiting early next year. I attended a VRD in October for domestic and i didnt get through, so therefore i cannot reapply until next october. I was wondering whether this also includes applying for V Australia as well?

sinala1
6th Dec 2007, 05:14
I too am 193cm or there abouts, and so far am not having any major issues height wise on the E170... the flight deck is a totally different story though! Admittedly I don't spend an awful lot of time in the rear galley, but so far I have been quite happy and comfortable working on it. The fwd galley feels roomier to me than some of our B737's - although it does have a serious lack of storage space, as does the rear galley!

sharz87
8th Dec 2007, 05:12
hi everyone! :)
just wondering with the large recruitment happening next year with the introduction of the Embraer E170/E190 ejets does anyone know which base will be expected to have the largest intake? I'm a Melbourne girl however i am happy to move 2 brissy or the new Syd base if necessary I'm just curious where the majority of cabin crew openings will be?

transcontinentalcc
9th Dec 2007, 11:01
I'd say heavy recruitment would be for a SYD base... plus for both MEL and BNE for those who want to head over to long haul - if it gets offered of course.

On that note... anyone know any info on VAustralia base/routes/layovers/pay/training schedule as yet?

wirgin blew
9th Dec 2007, 21:13
Still no official word on V other than recruitment for CC will be in the first half of 2008. All you can do is express your interest and keep it updated.
The rest is rumour.
Since AWA's are on the way out I wonder what they will be able to negotiate as an EBA. It certainly would have to be better than Jetstar International you would imagine. Perhaps they might even set up an external business like QF are doing for there LH Aussie CC.
I hope that we get an opportunity to do a 18 month transfer similar to the VA exchange. I like the idea of being able to try LH then being able to return to SH when I/my family are sick of me doing LH.
Either way 2008 is shaping up as an interesting year for VB.

transcontinentalcc
10th Dec 2007, 12:01
Hmmm... I doubt whether an international secondment for 18 months would be financially unfeasible for start up for either company... and yes you would hope that the conditions would be good otherwise plenty of VB crew longing for a long haul career could jump ship to QF Long Haul for $35k plus allowances (which is almost the same base rate as domestic crew now) with full QF benefits.

No doubt V Australia would be a great product and work environment... but financial benefits certainly need to be good too, I mean at least what is getting paid domestically now!

I heard recruitment for CC in Feb... tech crew are being called now, at the moment SYD-LAX is being tossed around and individual AWA contracts offered (which are still legal until Rudd changes laws in parliament next year)... but as well all know VB is very good at keeping their cards close to their chest.

Let me know your thoughts...

indamiddle
11th Dec 2007, 12:01
qf 'b' scale
$33475 p.a.
$7000 overtime (projected)
$16000 port allowances... based on 220-240 hours 8 week roster 7-8 lax trips on
the A380, operation to start 2nd half 2008.
no bid system
$2.60 per flying hour.
crew on A380 dedicated to that aircraft only
training pay $27810

non A380 flying expect less port allowances.
sick leave 10 days yr 1, 15 days yr 2

transcontinentalcc
11th Dec 2007, 12:22
Hmmm.... looks a promising comparison for V Australia to base with.

http://www.faaa.net/EBA%20VIII/EBA8%20QF%20QCCA%20FAAA%2020LH%20Final%20Signed.pdf

You'll find the link to download the full EBA 8 proposal on the above link, or heading to the FAAA website and finding the link to the PDF. So the $2.60 per flying hour is similar to what the deal is at EK... and as such replaces the DTA that the current LHCC are entitled to. 6 weeks annual leave as well under this agreement... however nothing states whether staff travel benefits will actually exist for B scale crew?

transcontinentalcc
11th Dec 2007, 12:25
indamiddle... how did you come up with that figure of $7000 for overtime?

transcontinentalcc
11th Dec 2007, 12:30
PS indamiddle... thanks for your input... what's your thoughts on the conditions for those wanting to join QF on the 'b' scale?

indamiddle
12th Dec 2007, 21:39
the $7000 figure was provided by the union.
the overtime figure is apparently based on double time where duty exceeds 12 hours, this would be on both lax sectors with syd, currently 15:35 to lax,16:00 back to syd. double time and a half after 14 hours, 7-8 trips to lax per 8 week roster for 10 and a half months, 6 weeks leave, i'll let u figure out the maths...good luck.
as far as 'b' scale goes the A380 flying is the way to go, less allowances, overtime etc on the 747,767,A330 as "b' scale get the remainder of whatever flying left over after 'a' scale have had their pick at it which means lots of perth returns on the 747-300. that flying really sucks. next most likely trips u would get is j'burg, max time zone change of any trip on our rosters, poor allowances, work your ring off.
'a' scale rostered up to 200 hours, 'b' scale rostered 220-240, there is an element of burn out here but that would depend on the individual.
have not heard yet if 'b' could transfer to shorthaul after 2 years, if so and on full s/h pay and conditions would be the way to go. doubt the company will allow this back door to stay open if it isn't already shut. hope this helps

indamiddle
14th Dec 2007, 04:41
made a mistake in my calculations
approx $8000 a year meal allowances on A380, cash in hand, not $16000
my apologies to all
significantly less than $8000 on 747/767/330 due perth returns and jo'burgs

DJCCGuy
14th Dec 2007, 07:16
So do we think it would be worth hanging around and waiting for V Australia or trying our luck with QF Long Haul?? I know we don't know details of V yet, but financially etc do yu think it would be a step backwards going to QF?

transcontinentalcc
14th Dec 2007, 11:12
Well the company is saying February recruitment for V Australia... as such I'd say the basic conditions/pay would be outlined then. QF are looking for crew for a June start, so at this stage I think they'll both recruit at the same time... they are accepting interest online. Alot of VB crew are talking about this QF opportunity as well so seems like a bit of interest.

If you're Melbourne based, those overtime allowances increase to in excess of $12k for A380 LA runs based on a 16.15hr duty MEL-LAX and 17.25hr duty LAX-MEL and brings an overall gross earning to nearly $60K which is what current DJ CC would be getting on the domestic network. Double time and a half kicks in for hours worked in excess of 14hrs. In addition, at QF you're eligible for free home transport to and from work for duties in excess of 14 hours which makes it an attractive package.

I guess only time will tell... anyone know anymore about V Australia, I presume a similar structure to QF long haul in terms of crew structure on board, Manager, Supervisor then Crew. I would also say looking at JQI pay rates... you wouldn't be getting anymore than what are now... if not less.

PS... what is happening with the crew bags... and the Xmas present for that fact? :)

gigs
14th Dec 2007, 12:34
indamiddle, $8000 slip money does not sound a lot. i made near $15000 last year flying qf short haul. maybe the pay here is not as good as it sounds? cheers and thanks for the info. gigs

wirgin blew
14th Dec 2007, 23:24
gigs I think I got just over $9k in overnights last year as DJ CC. Thats over 100 overnights being paid at the $90-95 rate which is laid down by the ATO. Does your amount include the TAFB pay that you recieve at QF?
Anyway this financial year I am averaging about $4400 per month clear with an average of 9 overnights. So I am happy to stay SH unless that amount were to rise to say $5000-6000 clear per month as LH.
I am sure QF will get people for there LH CC project but I doubt people who are looking for more money will jump ship. When you realise you are working as hard as the person on the other end of the cart but for half the pay other jobs will look more appealing.
As far as the transport to and from the airport I would say that V would have to do that to keep the OH&S people happy. It would be hard to explain why you lost a crew member to fatigue when QF LH looks after there crew in this way.

Gone U/S
14th Dec 2007, 23:35
Just a suggestion about the transport idea that has been brought up in discussions...

QF LH get provided with transport after certain sectors

Based on th OH&S rationale that has been brought up what happens to the poor JQ International crew that still operate a back of clock Denpasar return and have to drive home afterwards?

Would be very interesting to see what V Australia does? I wonder if UA crew would get taxis to their home after the flights ex SYD or would they have to drive to their residence aswell. Same principle for NZ crew on arrival back home from Canada and US, do they get taxi's as well?

transcontinentalcc
15th Dec 2007, 09:23
A UA CC friend is not entitled or offered for that matter any home transport, and I would highly doubt V Australia would do this, if they have to, then MEL based DJ CC should get it after the 9.45hr duty red eye PER-SYD-MEL and the PER-SYD-BNE for that matter.

In terms of slip allowances, at QF you'd be looking at about 47 MEL-LAX returns in a 12 month period based on A380 only runs, at US$117 per slip, or AU$139 per slip times by 2 slips per trip times by 47 trips equals AU$13,066, without factoring 6 weeks leaves, so minus 12.5% for the year based on no allowances during leave would give you the figure of $11,433.

Wirginblew... bear in mind BNE based crew must be getting alot more overnights than MEL, you'd be lucky to clear $2200 a f/n down here, average anywhere between $1800-$2000. Face it, the pay and conditions at the moment at VB are very good, there's no chance you'll make the equivalent as B scale QF crew of V Australia crew for that fact. You might as an InFlight Manager or InFlight Supervisor at V, but no way for InFlight Crew.

Based on calculations I pulled straight from the EBA, here is what QF LH CC on a B scale have the potential of earning as a MEL based crew member on the A380 utilising all 6 weeks annual leave. This pay rate is also based on a report time of -90mins before flight time and an automatic sign off time of 30 mins after chocks on, on arrival. Of course if report time is set at -75 before departure then overtime rates will be slightly affected by about gross $700 a year.

Based on 17/DEC/2008 wages (this includes a 3% inflation increase on the incidentals allowance):

SALARY $34479
OVERTIME $10273
PORT A/L $10482
INCIDENTAL A/L $3245

TOTAL ANNUAL GROSS $58,478

The total would be almost dollar for dollar for a MEL based VB CC member, obviously more overnights in BNE would mean less money, but bear in mind that JQI earn slightly less than VB S/H crew... who's not to say that after this precident has been set that V Australia wont do the same, I mean after all they need to be profitable as well.

As well with the QF transport offer, MEL based crew doing these LA runs would be eligible on all trips based on the duty hours and the requirements set out in the eligibility section of the new, QF EBA, which based on $120 return in cab fars based on a city destination could really add up in a crew member's favour, and considering the price of fuel, a guarenteed home transport option for the next 5 years based on the validity of this EBA could be really attractive to potential candidates.

Just my thoughts anyway, nothing gospel! :)

PS. Any rumours about the B777 doing SYD-LAX-SYD then a SYD-PER-SYD to make full utilisation of the aircraft aren't possible due to size restrictions on the VB side of the domestic PER terminal.

Happly flying!