PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Australia - Wannabes & Recruitment

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

DJCCGuy
15th Dec 2007, 11:27
Thanks for all the info transcontinentalcc........you've been most helpfull!!!!!

sinala1
15th Dec 2007, 18:59
Any rumours about the B777 doing SYD-LAX-SYD then a SYD-PER-SYD to make full utilisation of the aircraft aren't possible due to size restrictions on the VB side of the domestic PER terminal.

Not necessarily... it could easily be sold as a continuation of SYD-LAX-SYD operating out of international terminals at both airports - and I believe it could still carry domestic pax too (eg QF51 SYD-BNE-SIN used to/still does(?) carry domestic pax SYD-BNE, operating out of international terminals at both airports).

transcontinentalcc
15th Dec 2007, 22:49
Yeah good point Sinala... mind you, you would hope they didn't do a SYD-PER run as that would reduce your layover in LAX I would suppose... 4 QF 744's spend the day in LAX at the moment just to operate the return flight home, you would hope for layover's sake V Australia would do the same!

transcontinentalcc
15th Dec 2007, 22:54
And - do you really want to be doing SYD-PER-SYD returns!!

DJCCGuy
16th Dec 2007, 00:39
2 months to go til Feb when they plan to start selling seats...can't wait to find out the product details...it's very secretive...the people working in long haul wont disclose even the tiniest little detail even to staff!!

sinala1
16th Dec 2007, 02:53
If you check Wikipedia, it lists the destinations that V Australia has applied for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_Australia
The airline has also expressed interest in flying to Japan. Since then, Virgin Blue have applied to the United States Department of Transportation to operate services to and from Kingsford Smith International Airport (Sydney) to Los Angeles International Airport, San Francisco International Airport, Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, McCarran International Airport (Las Vegas), and New York JFK International Airport.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see a triangulation of the LAX/SFO/LAS services somehow - eg SYD-LAX-LAS, SYD-SFO-LAS... or, alternately, to make a daily LAS service worthwhile - send it through to JFK ie daily SYD-LAS-JFK. I doubt V Australia would be able to fill a daily B773ER to either JFK (I know it wouldn't go direct to JFK anyway, but work with me here) nor LAS - so a SYD-LAS-JFK may well work quite well - leaving the SYD-LAX and SYD-SFO seats all open to be sold as point to point, rather than having a percentage taken up by guests connecting through to JFK.

As for the SYD-PER-SYD (if it does happen), they would be rostered day trips out of SYD I would imagine - not a continuation of the LAX trip.

transcontinentalcc
16th Dec 2007, 03:48
Yeah the SYD-PER-SYD would be on a night rotation to fit in with a trans-pacific run. Also bear in mind that Wikipedia is user generated information, so anyone can add whatever they like, would be great if any of that info is true... I would love to see a SYD-LAX-SFO rotation... NYC would be even better, but look it's all speculation until public announcement.

crewbus
16th Dec 2007, 23:14
back to the Christmas present..... I think Virgin are extremely generous with their Christmas presents each year. Though I particularly took a liking to the magazine subscription we were offered last year (in addition to the 6 bottles of plonk).

Any idea on if we are getting the mag subscription again?

737opsguy
16th Dec 2007, 23:45
It's pretty late notice to do the mag subscription. Only 5 more working days before the Xmas break.
They did do the traditional 'check your address in Vpay so your wine appears' email though

DJCCGuy
17th Dec 2007, 01:10
Ye we've always had our presents by now...I wonder whats going on? I wonder if we may be getting something a little diff this year than the normal delivery to our door...perhaps some type of staff travel offer? Just a thought...but ye as 737opsguy said they did ask us to confirm our addresses

gigs
17th Dec 2007, 01:28
hi wirgin blue and friends,thanks for all the info. wirgin, the 15000 dollars is based on current figures of 4.93 per hr day allowance tax free. i think the pay you guys are getting at v/blue sounds great and all staff are the same that is no mams contracts a,b and, c full time ,part time,ex long haul, new ex long haul minus band payments and ,ex australian airlines. at v/blue all staff sound like they get good money and are the same, equal...at times in qf you are now working as hard or dare i say harder for much less pay and conditions as the person on the other end of the trolley and, therefore my interest in a new company with an even playing field i am also not the only one csms and other staff have also expressed interest. cheers gigs

DJCCGuy
21st Dec 2007, 23:57
All V Australia Cabin Crew will be based out of SYD at the startup. All on individual contracts. Bit of a shame, but hopefully as they grow they will base crew outta BNE etc.

Gloria
22nd Dec 2007, 03:43
I am curious as to how many crew V Aus will require for start up & are VB short haul likely to apply in their droves for the jobs? Any word on crew complement for the 777's. It is said only SYD base to start with, will this put alot of VB crew off applying? Merry Christmas to all.

SocialFlyer
22nd Dec 2007, 05:23
Hi Guys,

All Virgin Blue staff received an email update about V Australia today.

V Australia is starting the recruitment process in February with final interviews taking place in May. The recruitment process will include pre screening, telephone interview, assessment centre and final panel. Training will commence in August and flying in November. The email advised that the base will be out of Sydney and they are planning to recruit 280 Cabin Crew for the start up. From the 280 Cabin Crew approx 35% will be internal transfers from VB, and the remainder will be hired externally. This is due to the inability for Virgin Blue to lose too many staff for the initial start up of V Australia, hence the need to balance internal and external hires. All current VB staff who move to V Australia will "TRANSFER" over with all their entitlements and service recognised, however leave will not be available for most likely 1 year, hence they are recommending staff who make the move need to take leave prior to training.

As far as the crew compliment goes it was announced that they would have 10 Cabin Crew, 1 Cabin Crew Leader, 1 Cabin Crew Manager (I think the term is correct) so 12 in total.

Thats pretty much everything that was in our internal e-mail and its public knowledge now. It did not mention anything about contracts or pay so I cant comment on any of that. With regards to VB crew wanting to apply you get mixed reactions online, many of the crew are not interested due to family commitments etc, lots are not interested in making the move to Sydney so this has turned them off, and others are not interested in long haul flying (14 hours can be tough). On the other hand there are those who are ready to pack up and leave in a flash, love the idea of working on a 777 and international. Myself I would want to know more about the conditions before making any decision, on balance i think they will have no problem getting 150 internal transfers, out of 1450 current crew that is an achievable number. Also keep in mind there are a number of crew currently working in training, management, operations etc who may also apply internally so the competition may be tough.

Hope this helps all of you who are considering applying.. Good Luck to all internals and externals you have just as much chance as internal crew.

Cheers
SocialFlyer

sinala1
22nd Dec 2007, 05:59
Just to clarify, its 1 x Flight Manager, 1 x Cabin Leader, and 11 x Cabin Crew to be used on the B773ER - so 13 in total - and 35% of the initial 280 needed to launch makes about 98 transfers from VB across to V Oz.

Cheers! :ok:

DJCCGuy
22nd Dec 2007, 07:57
I haven't had a chance to check my work emails yet, but do we know anything about the selection criteria for internal transfers? Surely we wont have to go through assesment centre etc...

And did it mention / or anyone know anything about the possibility of commuting?

Cheers!

runway 25
22nd Dec 2007, 08:53
From memory the email stated it was performance based?? What ever that means, so I am sure they will bring out the old sick leave folder to start with.... (that old chestnut).

The email said that initialy phone interview then manager feedback, and yeah the possiblility of an assessment centre.. probably depending on how many apply to transfer I guess. If there is a large number of applicants I am sure they will do as much as possible to cull numbers.

Nothing was mentioned about commuting, but the rumor mill said 7 weeks training in SYD, after that I am sure there is no reason why you couldnt commute. I am sure there are many more asking the same question!

I guess this is the first real bit of info so I am sure there is more to come.
Interesting times ahead!:\

DJCCGuy
22nd Dec 2007, 23:36
How did we all go with our Jan rosters with the new bidding system? Did we all get what we wanted as promised?

I haven't had a chance to check my roster yet as I haven't been into work, and for some reason they can't get their act together and allow us to check that sought of stuff from home! :rolleyes:

sinala1
23rd Dec 2007, 02:21
How did we all go with our Jan rosters with the new bidding system? Did we all get what we wanted as promised?
Nope... unfortunately an email came out a day or two prior to the roster publication stating that they were unable to get Kronos in place in time for the January roster build, and subsequently Feburary's roster will/should be the first to be built using the Kronos optimizer.

DJCCGuy
23rd Dec 2007, 05:01
Oh of course! :ugh:hehe.

Sara Fanta
23rd Dec 2007, 20:05
Hi Guys!

I went to a VBRD Nov 28 07, and so have have progressed to being put on a waiting list for a training placement. The lovely recruitment girl, told me could be 6 months. Is that normally the case?

She also said that because things were winding up for the year, she would continue checking my references, but when there was a placement would be in touch.

Now here is where it all got complicated...

She called one referee, no problems...as expected...

Then called reference no 2, and well, this is some one i have worked with for many many years a very dear colleague to me. Usually amazingly professional...I dont know WHAT she was thinking, she emailed me a copy of the email ref form after she had completed all but one or two q's....in the answer boxes...she wrote "you can answer this one babe???????"

I didnt recieve this email, so blissfully unaware I continued with excitement talking about how great my nw job will be.....

Then I got a call....from my colleague..."oh dear Sar, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SORRY.....I sent u an email for some assistance....but I ACCIDENTALLY emailed VB recruit the one i fowrded to you..." at first I was like why does that matter...then she explained what she had written, and that VB recruitment had called her and said her ref was no longer acceptable.

I was devastated, but I knew my friend didnt mean to, she thought she was "helping" I just wish she had have just completed it properly. I have had my chance to sell myself as an asset to VB, and so far so good...all she hadto do was be open and honest.

Any way, we are fine, I assured her not to worry herself and that all will be ok. She is feeling horrible.

NOW, is this salvageable, or will my unprofession ref, affect my app from progressing.

I got her call email last Friday 6pm, and althought recruitment had left for the day.(possibly for 2 weeks???) I left a msg on my recruitment officer voicemail explaining that recieved word my ref had not fulfilled her obligation, and that I was both embarassed and upset that my judgement had been wrong about her. I assured he that I would have another apropriate ref for her asap and apologised.

I then got home 10 pm and sent her an email with contact details of a new reference...

Now I must wait to see if recruitment are in office today or not until after xmas......GOD......I hope they dont discard my app........

Sorry the for lengthy post...needed to vent!

matie14
7th Jan 2008, 02:38
Hi Guys, Im new to all this.

I have recently decided to leave the exciting office 9 to 5 role, and head back into hospitality, and do what i have always wanted to do, cabin crew.
So, I have gone and got my RSA, my first aid and renewed my passport. I have applied for every airline i can, that includes MAM. But what are the differences between a Jetstar role, a Qantas role and a Virgin role? I know that Jetstar are employing now, but I dont hear too many good things. I know a lot of Qantas staff who love their jobs, but bi#$h and moan about Qantas. The people I know that work for Virgin love it, and cant say a bad thing... except why is there no base in Sydney.
So. What do you think? Should I just got with Jetstar, wait for the Qantas long haul, or hold out for Virgin blue/ V Aus? I live in Sydney, what would be a likley waiting time for me to blow off the office 9 to 5 role and start in the new syd base for virgin blue/ v aus?

sharz87
7th Jan 2008, 05:45
Hey guys!
Just a few quick questions..Firstly does anyone have any ideas of roughly how many melbourne based cc need to be recuited this year due to V Australia and the new aircrafts? If it isn't a great amount i am tempted to try my luck and apply for the sydney base move up there if required.. and maybe eventually transfer to melbourne! So my second question.. how hard is it to transfer base within virgin blue.. and how long would you generally have to wait?
much thanks! :)

Chris21
7th Jan 2008, 10:20
Hi guys

Not sure where to put this, did not want to start a new thread or over take the VS strike thread but...

It must almost be that time of year again when applications open for the Virgin Atlantic Exchange program. Having recently flown with the "penthouse" girls and a number of crew that have done it in the past I am really keen to apply.

I have a million and 65 questions, and without sounding like all the other posts about pay and conditions but now that DJ crew are not allowed to work in upper class what realistically would the monthly salary be? for those that have done it in the past did you seriously come back with massive debt? would say 10K and a credit card be enough to live in London just outside zone one and have a life?

Would be really keen to hear from crew that have done the exchange and their experiences good and bad.

exmax
9th Jan 2008, 23:57
Hi all,

I've been invited to attend the recruitment day later this month and was wondering (I suppose from existing DJ cabin crew), how you think the SYD base will affect the network in terms of duty hours, pay and things like that being shared around the bases.

Thanks,
Exmax:ok:

737opsguy
11th Jan 2008, 05:01
V Australia, when they start up, will most likely operate out of Sydney. It is the largest population base and the biggest market. Thus it would be logical for the crew base for V Australia to be in Sydney.

The airline is apparently starting with 3 aircraft in 2008 and assuming say 14 or so crew on any flight and 6-7 crews per aircraft, thats 3 x 14 x 6 = 252 crew. If these numbers are even close, that's a lot of new cabin crew opportunities for Cabin Crew coming up in 2008 (most likely Sydney).

Gpik
11th Jan 2008, 07:12
Hi Chris, Im currently on the exchange here in Oz. Based in MEL though. The Penthouse girls are my good buddies....they are all mental!

To answer your question, going on basic salary alone a Cabin Crew member will earn £850/£900 a month. You will then get allowances dependant on your trip NYC varies $160/$180 dollars for a nightstop. SFO $340 for two nights. Id say on avergae £1150 if you dont spend your allowances downroute.

All I will say is that VAA is amazing fun, the crew are fantastic and up for a good time. The destinations are out of this world....imagine a roster...5 nights in Cape Town, Nightstop New York, two nights in LA, nightstop Miami. Love it!

If you have anymore questions PM me!

Cheers!

I Just Want To Fly
11th Jan 2008, 18:34
Hi chris,

Yes it is No 6

I'm over here in the Uk flying for VS. I'm an Aussie, but not on the exchange - although every single person asks me "Are you on the exchange?"

Anyway, from discussions with current DJ exchange crew at VS, it is actually a pretty big comitment. Our salaries are fairly low over here, and the cost of living is much higher. But the trips are usually pretty awesome, as are most of the crew.

There are a few issues:
You are not eligible for staff travel in the first 6 months.
You no longer get promoted to Senior after 6 months.
No support is provided in setting up your life, so be prepared!
Accommodation, Transport, NI numbers (like a Tax file number), bank accounts etc etc... Just be prepared.

But lots of crew really enjoy it, one I flew with a few months ago was on exchange 4, and loved it so much, he stayed!

Just try and save up as much cash as you can, so that you can have a little more spending money than just your allowances.

Good luck with you're application!

sam.lk7
21st Jan 2008, 05:05
any virgin blue CC on this thread?

can someone tell me if DJ assess colour vision in there medicals?

thanks - i am VERY VERY anxious to find out!

SLK

Cart_tart
21st Jan 2008, 10:18
I did a VB CC medical a few weeks ago and they tested me for colour blindness.

sam.lk7
21st Jan 2008, 11:29
@ cart tart

do you think you would have passed the medical if you had a colourvision problem?

Gloria
21st Jan 2008, 22:25
Hi everyone, I had a call last week from VB regarding a telephone screening to progress to an assessment centre. The lady said I would know if I had progressed in the next week to two weeks. Is this the normal process. She asked me exactly what was on my application, nothing new which I thought was odd! No target selection questions, just reconfiming info on my application.

Does anyone know how many & when assessment centres are going to be. I have the big wait now. Thanks!!

SocialFlyer
23rd Jan 2008, 09:35
Hi Gloria,

I work for Virgin and recently flew with one of the recruiters who told me part of the "improved recruitment" process for Cabin Crew is a initial phone screening interview to verify the details of your online application and query what you have written in there. From this point they will then short list who they invite to the interview day.

I think its a way of culling out people who place inaccurate information on their application forms, and I can tell you there are PLENTY of those. Word of advice guys, be as honest as possible with dates, work history etc, they are looking very closely at these nows.

I believe they will be recruiting all year round, so don't worry to much about how many assessment as there are a number of opportunities..

Good Luck all

Chris21
28th Jan 2008, 12:02
Thanks to everyone that sent me info about the VS Exchange. I am applying, selling my apartment and coming Europe!!!!! well I have to get in first but I want it more than anything at the moment.

On another note and this is to current crew and maybe it's BNE only but looks like they have finally figured out a way to cut overnights. I have gone from 12 in Jan to 1 in Feb. I am not worried cause I am over the long four sector days min rest at a hotel and straight back to another four sector day. I have a whole week in Feb of operate BNE - SYD and pax home and that is it. Granted the money will suck but I always knew this would eventually happen.

Everyone else's rosters the same? backlash is going to be huge judging by the amount of rosters all over walls requesting trip swaps all of a sudden.

Thoughts?

DJCCGuy
29th Jan 2008, 03:03
Same with me...1 overnight for the entire month of Feb. Not happy! Perhaps they could of warned us that this was going to happen? Yes I realise they say that overnights are never guaranteed, but we have been having on average 10 a month for years, and now to severly cut the back like this is terrible! There will be a backlash. Crew are not impressed...another downer to crew morale. I don't have a problem doing day trips, I do have a problem with the money however! Lets hope its just a one off for Feb and has something to do with them playing around with the bidding system.

SocialFlyer
29th Jan 2008, 07:03
Hi Guys,

I'm Melbourne based and from what I have seen most crew still have the overnights here, not sure what is going on in Brisbane. Is it like that for all crew? However someone did tell me that February is usually the quiestest month and there is always a drop in flights etc, so perhaps it may have something to do with that.. Not sure what is going on...

If there has been a sudden drop in overnights and crew get all day trips i can pretty much see sick leave going up as crew wont accept the sudden cut. Let's wait and see what happens before we get to carried away...

Cheers SocialFlyer

KittyBlue
30th Jan 2008, 02:56
Crew morale is set at a very high level.. by crew. Alot want alot for nothing. Overnights will come and go. Crew are only guaranteed a base wage. The overnights are allocated by the rostering department to make sure that the planes are operating with limited time on the ground.

As for those crew who placed their mortgages for houses etc saying they average $2k a fortnightly have to take responsibility for their own actions. When there are more crew, the probability of overnights will drop per a person. Some get more and some less. The schedules for Feb are no different than the ones for March albeit a couple syd-mel/bne flights due to aircraft checks in CHC.

Be ready for more dissapointment if your expect a golden egg, with KRONOS system in place it will provide the VB the best cost effective, streamline flight organisation in comparison to the old Sabre.

Sorry to put gloom on... thou people need to consider that things will change. Chances are those who got one overnight this Feb will get 8 next month.

:rolleyes:

SocialFlyer
30th Jan 2008, 03:49
KittyBlue,

I totally understand where you are coming from with your post above but I also think Virgin has a responsibility and obligation to its employees to let them know that there will be changes to pairings and rosters which in turn means reduction in overnights. To date the communications in relation to the new KRONOS system has always been about "Crew will now get what they want", "Create your roster" etc.... There has never been a word of a new efficiency system resulting in the reduction of overnights.

I think its obvious that overnights are not guaranteed, but when you go from having 14 to having none thats a slight shock to the system. I guess the coming months will be interesting to see the outcome. Let's just wait and see...

dj_candidate
30th Jan 2008, 04:41
The schedules for Feb are no different than the ones for March albeit a couple syd-mel/bne flights due to aircraft checks in CHC

KittyBlue - There may be minimal differences in the schedules but there are major differences in the rosters. Most of the red-eye flights have gone to the newly formed SYD base. A large number of BNE crew have rosters built on 2 sector return day trips - mostly operating only 1 of those sectors also. (I've got 10 of them)

Overnights will come and go. Crew are only guaranteed a base wage.

That was explained in no uncertain terms at the VRD I attended, and I wholeheartadly support the comment, but any change needs to be communicated and equitable. The people commenting on their rosters haven't lost 1 or 2 overnights per month - many of us have lost 6 - 10. If ALL crew had their overnights reduced by a similar amount (raw number or percentage) then it would be equitable. To print off a roster with 0 (zero)overnights and sign-ons before 0700 every day of the month whilst the person next door prints off a roster with 12 overnights and midday or later sign-on's is not confidence or morale boosting.

The argument that there are crew wanting rosters like that has been used, and I agree that there are, however no-one advised that there would be rosters of this type built - and no option was provided to nominate yourself for a roster like that.

Chances are those who got one overnight this Feb will get 8 next month

That is the hope and prayer of those that got minimal overnights. Are you suggesting tho, that it's a random/cyclic thing? a software glitch? a new fairness distribution? or just some astrological alignment that will adjust things? Here's a suggestion to check the 'tolerance' of all the crew population - next month the overnight distribution should be inverted - take the number each crew member got this month from the common 10/11 overnights, and build a roster with that many for them next month.

Off on a slight tangent now...

KRONOS promises to give us the bids that we want - so we are encouraged to bid for what we want. To this end, I'd like to see the 'Specific Flight' bid option modified to only show flights that will actually be available to the person bidding for it. This month I wasted my points bidding for a flight that has always been, but for February wasn't even given to BNE crew :\

transcontinentalcc
30th Jan 2008, 04:51
Guys KRONOS is about reducing overnights... why do you think there was such a push to bring it in... also based on the leave available for BNE crew, there's a massive overstaffing issue up there ... meanwhile MEL based rosters seem to be much better than usual... got at least 12 o/n here which means a marked improvement than ever before averaging no more than 9ish.

I hear the Ejet crew are getting even more overnights and very good trips (ie. 2 sector days, 12-14 overnights, big layovers) although they aren't getting any leave - that's the way it goes I guess - but very good money! Seems to all the new routes - CBR-OOL, CBR-SYD, SYD-PQQ, SYD-ABX and the increase of a daily SYD-ROK and SYD-MKY to a smaller E70 will see these guys get bigger layover opportunities anyway... so go do the EJet haha!

Once SYD is set up properly... think it may even out a bit maybe 5/6 overnights per base... on the upside... V Australia is on the way... gaurenteed overnights!

Chris21
30th Jan 2008, 05:47
As for E-Jet crew about time they got some overnights and decent trips again. Melbourne crew got the better deal with the "Ambassador" disaster. DM's and DR himself sold it to them as the program for high performing crew, which they got and in typical Virgin style there was no information or transperancy about how they would be introduced or what the the rosters would look like.

Obviously some for commercial in confidence reasons but all the people who took a leap of faith and trusted management got was and I am talking about BNE crew was four months of day trips. My friends roster was BNE - HBA four days in a row followed by two BNE - ADL returns over and over again.

KittyBlue
30th Jan 2008, 07:17
'That is the hope and prayer of those that got minimal overnights. Are you suggesting tho, that it's a random/cyclic thing? a software glitch? a new fairness distribution? or just some astrological alignment that will adjust things? Here's a suggestion to check the 'tolerance' of all the crew population - next month the overnight distribution should be inverted - take the number each crew member got this month from the common 10/11 overnights, and build a roster with that many for them next month.'

I'd say better option is to ask for some money for the tooth fairy!! IMO that the fill in the big blanks and settle the rest with what ever crew are left. I would like it to be evenly distributed to those who want overnights. Alas I dont think that is gonna happen.

Feb roster for some Bne crew gave them a paxing sector back to bne for hotel overnight then pax them back to eg. syd the following day and repeated that cycle for the 4 days. Its all just frustrating to say the least!! GOOD LUCK TO US!!! I hope these issues are ironed out so its flair for all!

crewbus
30th Jan 2008, 22:35
I would say that from a management point of view, they would like to get rid of overnights as much as they can. They cost money. I wonder how much of a saving they are making by opening the Sydney base?

By the way, is there much talk of crew going applying for Qantas? That might throw another spanner in the works if too many crew jump ship!

OSBound
31st Jan 2008, 00:15
Some news I heard was that ON's haven't been reduced at all..... Of course given that a Sydney base has opened they have had to pay for it some way so I guess long term ON's will reduce! I was also told that the reason for the BNE - SYD then PAX home was due to the Sydney crew being assigned 2nd Sec BOC flights for nearly EVERY trip....! To remove these and help out the Sydney guys they had to put these ordinary day trips in for BNE crew.

On another note I have looked up the Kronos website and materials.... basically the new PBS / roster optimiser doesn't actualy determine the number of ON's. That is to do with the Kronos Pairing system that the planners have been using for some time now.

PS. I came from QANTAS..... The grass is greener this side... let's hope it stays that way!

Sonique
31st Jan 2008, 00:24
OSBOUND - You come from MAM darls, not Qantas. Big difference between MAM and Qantas Full-time. MAM got the leftover flying that full-timers didnt want remember ?

I think QF Full-time and DJ Full-time are very similar. QF crew are getting max 14-18 overnights per months similar to DJ.

The only thing greener about DJ for you is that you are full-time-let's not confuse everyone with your statement.

I know people who want to leave QF for the new V Australia. I also know people leaving DJ for Qantas L/H ( QCCA )

The grass is always greener.

SocialFlyer
31st Jan 2008, 04:14
Hey Guys,

Interesting information about the overnights, i'd say the Sydney rosters had alot to do with it as they were actually prepared before Mel and Bris, hence we were left with the left overs...

As for DJ crew going to QF I believe a number of crew have interviews next week but as in 2 minds about pursuing or holding out for V Australia. I guess for many of the crew the fact that you now have to resign from VB to work for V Australia means they are willing to resign to do LH for either V Australia or Qantas. Besides they are only allocating 35% of V Australia positions to VB crew, hence with 1500 crew for VB opportunities are limited for the start up.

I've applied for both V Australia and QF Long Haul. Only decide if I am successful...

GoodLuck guys

vb_girl
31st Jan 2008, 11:27
Looks like my post fell victim to moderation :confused:

Can any VB crew please explain how our maximum duty hours are calculated during a month where annual leave is allocated?

31 (a) of the EBA states that cabin crew will typically be rostered 125 duty hours per month and will not be rostered or work more than 140 hours per month.

31 (c) states that maximum hours will be pro rata the remainder of that roster period where annual leave is taken.

If rosters are typically built with a 125-130 hour target per month, then how is maximum duty hours calculated during a month where leave is allocated? Is it prorated on 125-130 hours or prorated on the full limit of 140 hours?

I can't seem to find a pattern during the months I have been allocated leave and am wondering whether I am calculating it incorrectly as the duty hours I have been rostered in some months are much higher than the maximum duty hours allowable from my calculations.

Sara Fanta
31st Jan 2008, 19:29
Sonique- REEEEEEEEEOOOOOW...dont take it too personal babe, each entitled to our own opinion!

Well yesterday I got my JOB OFFER from Virgin Blue!! Now my next stress is training...any tips on how to get the most out of it, or get through it all, even just what to expect?

And on the overnights thing, it makes sense with a sydney base there would be more staff and less demand on existing staff for o/nites, but i guess waiting and seeing is all we can do....I just cant wait to have a roster!oh and my uniform!yay!

SocialFlyer
1st Feb 2008, 02:54
Congratulations Sara Fanta,

You will enjoy working for Virgin its a fun culture and altough it can be tiring at times, we generally do have a good time.... With respect to overnights, I would not worry too much, it will take them some time before they ever phased them out, with expansion as it is, I can only see them increasing overnights to cope with the parking off aircrafts in ports other than MEL, SYD, BSN...

In regards to training, all the advice I can say is take LOTS of vitamins, prepare your body for stress as that is a natural reaction... You just have to focus for the 5 weeks and keep your head in the books.. They will tell you all about it, but basically you have to know everything WORD FOR WORD... And yes at the start it all seems rather scary and you think you will never learn it, but trust me the trainers drill it into your head and you will sleep and eat commands, equipment, SOP etc.... Most importantly dont forget to try and have some fun in training and it is part of the job you will always remember and you will make some friends for life out of it..... Also get your camera ready and take LOTS of pics...

Good luck and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, more than happy to help..

Regards SocialFlyer

OSBound
1st Feb 2008, 03:26
Hi vb_girl, My understanding is that it is based on the number of hours that the Planners aim to roster your group and base for. ie. if it is 120hrs then you will be prorated against 120 etc. You could try emailing cc.rosters to find out more info?.. or CCOS?

SocialFlyer
1st Feb 2008, 08:30
Yourflightattendant,

I believe there actually is NO reduction in overnights. It's more to do with the Sydney base creating the change overnights and what has been given to them. In actual fact I believe resourcing have been using the KRONOS system for some time now, the introduction of KRONOS as part of our bidding has nothing to do with the reduction of overnights.

In relation to your comments about the EBA, let's not get into a discussion about that, otherwise we would need to draw out all the details of the EBA that was presented to us.... Meal allowances vs overnights may be an adavantage for day trips, but lets face it with a NO vote at 89% I think there were alot of issues with the EBA that was negotiated.

It's the first month since the new bidding system that this has happened, let's wait and see what happens in the coming months before we all start predicting....

back2front
1st Feb 2008, 08:42
Does anyone have a Sydney based roster that they could show here? or PM one to me?

:)

vb_girl
2nd Feb 2008, 06:05
OSbound: thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to email them as it may be a changing target. This would explain why duty hours fluctuate so much between rosters where AL is taken.

yourflightattendant: interesting perspective. We'll need to keep an eye on our rosters over the next few months to establish some kind of pattern but this may be difficult with all the changes taking place (Tiger, Sydney base, more E-jet deliveries and crew being cross-trained, new PBS).

It will be another year before another EBA is drafted, which gives the company plenty of time to reassess and reduce its cost-base in response to changing market conditions. It will be interesting to see how it all works out but hopefully, they keep us informed about any 'major' changes that may impact us.. :ooh:

airtags
2nd Feb 2008, 06:35
hey vb girl
- came across the thread and I just spoke with a very tired friend who is VB CCrew and I am amazed at the provisions.

My friend has just done a 4 day trip - Days 1 & 2 were each >8 hours @ 4 legs. Day 3, picked up at hotel @0530 then fly 3 legs the last being coast to coast - arriving at hotel at 1400 (local) for "rest" before being picked up at 2230 on the same day to operate return coast to coast, back of clock.

That's less than 8 hours rest in between two sign ons in the one day!!!!!!!! (closer to 7 hours rest if you consider having a shower and something to eat) - aparently VB can do this legally and she said the FAAA does not believe this duty is a fatigue issue as it is within the current EBA.

With rosters like this it sounds like you really do need a new EBA now before someone gets hurt or has a serious accident.

Is this typical of what VB crews are being askd to do?

[- I couldn't imagine our cabin crew doing it as they get 15 hours min rest following a duty > 8 hrs, under 8hrs the min rest is 12 hours]

overhere
2nd Feb 2008, 06:44
airtags - there are no pairings at DJ that are what you've just stated - they can't sign on twice in one day - the BOC PER/East Coast is normally conducted after approx 23hrs rest.

airtags
2nd Feb 2008, 10:05
overhere: - thanks for the confirmation - good to hear it's not a regular -

I believe the paring was in fact an ad-hoc build following the chaos arising from the adverse wx in SYD the other evening. Have an email with the flt nos & times so it did happen - the real question is why didn't the FAAA back the crew?

VB when challenged has apparently offered a taxi voucher for the crew to go home on completion - but only one way - they have to make their own way back to collect their cars at their own cost later.....nothing like duty of care eh!..........(for the record, our lot are not any better)

vb_girl
2nd Feb 2008, 23:53
airtags - 32 (e) of the VB EBA states:
Cabin Crew will not sign-on twice in the one day at home base, unless the member of Cabin Crew elects to do so.

It appears that signing on twice in one day away from home base is legal :uhoh:

However, I'm unsure about the rest period. The crew's sign on would have been at 2300 if they were picked up at 2230, but minimum rest is 10 hours, so sign off could not have been later than 1300 on that day. Do you know what time they signed off?

Incidentally, your rest periods (duty > 8hrs = 15 hrs rest, futy < 8hrs = 12 hrs rest) sound fantastic! Don't ever bargain them away!

Rest periods at VB are:
Away from home - min. 10 hrs (regardless of previous length of duty)
Home base - 15 hrs (can be reduced to 12 hrs due to disruptions)

Anyway, I'm still curious about how they build a roster with annual leave because a normal roster is built to 120-130hrs BUT if it includes leave, then it seems that the roster is built to a prorated target calculated from 140hrs.

No wonder I've felt overworked during the months I've taken leave! Very sneaky!

wirgin blew
3rd Feb 2008, 21:17
airtags I have heard about this story from another source and cant work out why the crew would have said yes to any of it.
If your feeling fatigued then the cs and cc just call it and let crewing sort it out. You get paxed straight home but its better than not being able to cope in any sort of emergency.
If crew don't know the minimums of the EBA then they will get asked to things that are illegal. I would like to know if the company will support you if anything goes wrong once you have accepted something outside the EBA?

wirgin blew
7th Feb 2008, 02:41
yourflight attendant:

MEL base has been getting heaps of overnights, 10+, for the last few months. FEB roster is down a little but there are 2 less days in the month + SYD base + less annual leave??? = more crew available for the roster.
MEL crew are regularly getting BNE overnights of up to 24 hours, possibly because we wont go sick whereas BNE crew not living near the airport will go sick for the 4am-5am signons. I am still not seeing many day trips either and haven't for a while.

Lastly at the end of the day there is nothing we can do about the overnights. You cant budget your life on them as they are a bonus if we get them in the first place. I applied for E-jet and found out o'nights would be a minimum which suited me but obviously not you. I don't know why you didn't know this before applying as it was common knowledge in MEL.

DJCCGuy
7th Feb 2008, 07:18
I have a feeling we'll see things go back to normal next month...I think recruitment has slowed down a bit for now also so new crew coming online will ease up for a little while...or I could be wrong!

How are we finding our new crew bags? I think they look really good and help give us a more professional look, but they dont fit much in them! Other than that I like it.

airtags
7th Feb 2008, 09:08
vb girl, wirgin blue & et al;

thanks for the responses and PM's appreciated the prompt info and it encouraged a very despondent crew - as you may have worked out I'm up in the front end for another airline but a very good friend is VB CC and what they were pushed to do with this pattern was indeed a black mark on the airline. (The pattern I queried in the forum for her came as a result of a 'rebuilt trip' following the adverse Wx in SYD.)

VB after being pushed by the union and the operating crew, finally gave in and provided them taxi vouchers but essentially the issue still remains that on a multi day pattern away from home you can be directed to have reduced min rest and then operate BOC across the timezones.

It is not ideal and f'instance just would not be tolerated by the QF crews that I work with, but unfortunately the VB EBA (like all other EBA's, inc the QF) is less than acceptable under these kind of operating conditions.

Your query about responsibility "if something was to happen" is covered off under the indemnity provisions however if it was to be a REALLY bad day in the blue sky office I would imagine the coroner would go to guns quickly when looking at what the crew was pushed to do.

We all essentially suffer the same issue that a 12 hr min rest (or in VB case 10 hr) is eroded by late tpt pick ups, traffic to the hotel and early pick ups prior to sign on (notwithstanding noisy hotels, rooms near lifts, pi*ssed noisy bogans in hotel corridors, half a mile walk to get healthy food and a 20 minute queue to check out before pick up and of course no isolated crew rest facilities onboard etc.,)

Our airline employers (VB, QF, J* etc all have some great platitudes about fatigue ( I love the VB book on this .....it is such a corporate wank) and while some CC are stupid enough to p*ss up & party on till the wee hours before sign on, the reality is that the productivity of saving a few hours on a 3 or 4 trip by screwing the crew just isn't worth the risk of an accident. Like the wombat crew that party all night in slip ports - sadly it'll take a serious accident before reality bites and a more sensible remedy is adopted.

In the meantime suggest you all start emailing the FAAA and start building a business case for a rethink on the min rest and the related provisions - that includes encouraging the party wombats to wake up to themselves(Aircrew RBT/drug testing is now a reality) after all it's of little use batting for better rest if a stupid few compromise the argument.

To the very brain dead VB DM from BNE that sent me the 'other' PMsg ..... pls spare me/us the company lines of "being a 'specialist' (?)LCC and the need to cut conditions to maximise returns while still providing a unique positive customer experience" - I suggest you see how far that kind of Branson B.S gets you when there is a accident - or if you are really serious, then publicly stick your head up now and give better support to your hardworking crews. Maybe you should roster yourself on the same pattern as a famil as a first step.

wirgin blew
10th Feb 2008, 23:37
To the very brain dead VB DM from BNE that sent me the 'other' PMsg ..... pls spare me/us the company lines of "being a 'specialist' (?)LCC

Can I add we are a New World Carrier not LCC which means things like genuine fatigue management need to be looked at from the front line, not from office staff who have flexi hours to come and go as they please. Some of them have been CC and CS's but probably worked for a completely different beast that VB is now.
Listen to your staff they are leaving because the grass is greener.

Gloria
14th Feb 2008, 05:28
Have Virgin started to sort out what crew from VB are going across to V Australia yet. Are VirginBlue still recruiting or are they waiting to see how many new ones are needed to fill the holes. Can anyone tell me is the Sydney base both short & long haul? I really want to get into Virgin, how good are they going to be in another 12 months.
Regards

wirgin blew
15th Feb 2008, 08:03
Gloria approx 35% of LH can transfer from SH if they wish. It is my understanding it will be a SYD base as the training is going to be in SYD.
The SYD SH base has started recruiting and with SYD being the busy port it would only make sense that they have a base as big as MEL and BNE.
As QCCA is also recruiting in SYD for LH this makes for interesting times for anybody wishing to become a FA.
MEL base is training two courses a month at the moment and crew are still complaining about being overworked.
Crew I have spoken to in MEL arent interested in LH as nobody wants to move to SYD just to fly SYD-LAX (if that is what is going to be).
I wish the recruitment people in SYD all the best as its going to be hard to find enough of the right people imho.

gigs
16th Feb 2008, 02:10
me thinks with a flawed already process in place for qcca getting mam to qantas starts, means virgin shall have minimal probs. getting interest from good contenders. seems qantas may have gotten to big for their polished boots. cheers gigs

futureflier
16th Feb 2008, 04:14
Hi everyone!!
Quick question, if I want to apply for L/H or V Australia how do I go about that? Do I just apply under the normal Cabin Crew Team Member in their website or is it somewhere else? Or are they not even open for applications yet??
I'm from Sydney by the way!

And would the crews be separated into LH and SH or is it all as one? And, could a current crew just give me a ballpark figure or roughly what you guys earn in say a fortnight, after taxes??

Grove
16th Feb 2008, 04:25
A friend went along to a VBRD in SYD last month and made it through to the end of the day.
After about 3 weeks was advised that she had progressed to the next stage and would be contacted in 2 weeks. A couple of days later was called by VB to advise SYD recruitment had been placed on hold for the time being. They said they would keep her on file for 6mths. The very next day her referee's were called?????
Anyone know what is happening with the SYD base??
She has also been offered QCCA, would pref Virgin though.

transcontinentalcc
17th Feb 2008, 08:13
Hi futureflier... V Australia for internal applicants will start in the next month, external not long after that. First aircraft arrives September, commercial services start Oct/Nov.

Take home fortnightly after tax between $1700-$2100 for a MEL based S/H Cabin Crew member at the moment. Easily averaging $2000 at the moment - but this takes into account upto 7 overnights per pay which could drop to zero at the drop of a hat - about $90 tax free per overnight so you'll minimum $1400 per fortnight WORSE CASE SCENARIO.

futureflier
17th Feb 2008, 19:53
Thats great!
I've just registered my interest on their website so I'll just wait and see what happens...
I wonder what kind of flying the SYD base would be doing??

SocialFlyer
18th Feb 2008, 03:35
Hi Futureflier

Good luck with your application.

At the moment Sydney based crew with 737 endorsement only are doing mainly back of clock flying which is red eye trips including SYD-BNE-PER. Then PER-BNE. I believe most of the 737 crew got alot of overnights. The E-Jet crew are mainly doing day trips with no overnights in the month. It's really hard to tell what kind of flying Sydney base will do until it has expanded more and there are more than a 100 or so crew. At the moment Melbourne and Brisbane crew are still overnighting in Sydney so we are doing lots of their flying.

If you do get in it will be a very exciting time to join the Sydney base as it will be entirely new with respect to crew, crew rooms (currently being renovated), base managers, training centre etc... Get in now, work hard and you will progress quickly.

Well done to all in Sydney I know LOTS of ground crew who have been waiting for ages to fly as well as externals based in Sydney. Have a ball..

Cheers
SocialFlyer

SocialFlyer
20th Feb 2008, 01:57
Hi Guys,

Just thought I would share with you all that V Australia recruitment has commenced internally at Virgin Blue. Our applications internally must be submitted by 10th of March, with an anticipated start date of August. The base is in Sydney and crew are expected to relocate at their own expense. From that I understand the process involves feedback from your Development Manager, phone interview, group assessment, interview and references.

For all the externals, keep a close eye on the website as I expect external recruitment will also commence soon after the 10th of March. This is a great opportunity for both internal and external. From a total of 280 start up crew 35% will be internal crew transferring and the rest will be externals.

With regards to the conditions not much has been released yet however in the FAQ's that are posted it states "Industry standard, similar pay structure to Virgin Blue, trips up to 14 hours, day trips (returns) are also included.

Interesting times ahead..... Let the POSTS BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!

:D Cheers SocialFlyer

futureflier
20th Feb 2008, 03:38
Thanks for posting this up Socialflyer! Its great info!
Are you applying for it?? .. I'll be putting up the website on my favorite list to keep an eye on it everyday! :}
Apart from flying to the US, where else are they thinking of... to enable day trips it can't be too far off can it?

wirgin blew
20th Feb 2008, 04:30
5 to 16 hour duty times could mean just about anywhere including SYD-PER if they wished to utilize the aircraft this way.

Goodluck to anyone applying.

SocialFlyer
20th Feb 2008, 06:05
Hey Futureflier,

No problems about the post, as soon as I know more ill post more as will other crew from Virgin i assume.

I'm actually Melbourne based and I really can't afford to make the move to Sydney in August. Being a start up there could be alot of sitting around before flying starts, and while you sit around all you get is your base salary, hence I can't live off that in Sydney with the costs of relocating.

With regards to V Australia doing day trips, hard to say at this stage, but I agree they could do a perth return (similar to what QF Long Haul do), or a shuttle in the USA, or even a Denpensar return similar to what JQ International do. To be honest who knows, anything is a possibility, really depends on the work rules.

However, to those who can do it, it will be an exciting start up...

bbear75
20th Feb 2008, 09:43
I received an invitation today for a recruitment day on the 5th March for Virgin Blue....Anyone else?

matie14
20th Feb 2008, 22:18
Hi, I got a invite to the recruitment day in Sydney for the 4th of March! YES! Im excited... as I have been waiting ages. I hear so many good things about Virgin Blue, and with future opportunities with V Australia, it all seem great. Sooooooo, can any please tell me what to expect on the recruitment day. What should I study up on? What can I do to make an impression? Any tips advice help, anything would be greatly appriciated...

Gloria
21st Feb 2008, 02:09
Hey guys I have been invited to Recruitment day in Melbourne next Tuesday 26th FEB. Haven't heard a thing from anyone else on this forum that are attending? I am assuming the MEL day is for normal expansion of the base for crew. If anyone knows how many they need for MEL would be great, as I am really looking forward to the opportunity to join DJ! Regards

SocialFlyer
21st Feb 2008, 02:57
Gloria,

In response to your question about how many new crew Virgin Blue need in Melbourne the answer is LOTS. Schools are currently booked for the rest of the year and in some cases overlapping.

I would say if you are successful you could be placed on a hold list and wait a couple of months for a start date. Virgin now like to have a hold list which they can call upon to start ground school.

Goodluck, see you up there..

crewbus
22nd Feb 2008, 23:03
What do we all think about the new 'Acknowledgement of Country' PAs?

The Voice
23rd Feb 2008, 01:31
Hi all,

for info there is in todays NT news, an ad looking for recruiting Flight Managers/Cabin Leaders/Cabin Crew for V Australia -info and applications on the vaus website, closes 9 March 2008.

KittyBlue
23rd Feb 2008, 09:58
'AtoC' being implemented is positive. It has been a part of process in Australia for a long time, thou not really followed unless it had an indigenous connection.

As for DJ implementing it post the 'apology' by the PM, it can be seen like a political stunt or suck up.

The intention is honourable and I will be offering it on the flights I work on.

kb

ccguy
23rd Feb 2008, 11:53
Well, I for one think that this shouldn't be the responsibility of the crew to make these pa's. This is such a sensitive issue and although the company has said its not a political statement, it has come off the back of the sorry speech from the current government.

It is a nice gesture for the company to thank the traditional custodians of the land, however, should we be thanking the dinosaurs who were around long before the indigenous people. Surely they were the traditional custodians of the land before the indigenous people.

Our job is to be safety officers onboard...our pa's should be purely safety related.....aren't there supposed to be less pa's because it interrupts the viewing time of our guests who are watching live 2 air????

I guess there will be a lot of CS's who will not say the pa's....i for one am thinking about not doing them...i have already had some bad experiences.

DJCCGuy
23rd Feb 2008, 12:15
I agree that the timing of the company initiating these PA's is a bit off, and I do have my personal opinion about them too, I see them in 2 different ways, both good and bad.

As for CS's refusing to read them out onboard, the company has advised that this is a new standard PA and is to be included on ALL flights. It is NOT at the discretion of the CS as to whether they feel like doing it or not. The company wants it done, so do it. If it's not working or you're recieving negative reactions to it, lodge the feedback the way you have been told to do so, so the company is aware and can review the PA's if required - much in the same way you would if you weren't happy with other procedures. I am not advocating the decision to introduce these PA's, I do believe however we need to go about it the right way.

...our pa's should be purely safety related.....

How then do you suggest we communicate with pax regarding onboard service info etc? We use PA's to introduce our onboard menu, Live2Air etc, products which contribute to revenue for the company.

...Anyway, I'm more upset about V Australia being based out of SYD! Hopefully there'll be BNE base opportunities further down the track! :ok:

TightSlot
23rd Feb 2008, 16:51
Just idle curiosity...

What is an "Acknowledgement of Country" PA?

wirgin blew
23rd Feb 2008, 18:04
It is acknowledging the traditional people of the land, past and present. Due to the varying tribes in Australia there is a different tribe to thank depending on which city you go into.
Its being done at various levels of government across Australia and as VB's charity this year is indiginous Australia it is thought to go hand in hand with this. BG has asked CS's to make the PA until the VB Charity Ball in March which is fine for him as he doesnt have to make the PA then explain what its all about. As we have just had our PM say "Sorry" to the stolen generation it has come at quite a divisive time in the Australian political scene and smacks of tokenism by the company. People have to remember that nearly half the population didnt want the government to say sorry and the previous liberal government didnt want to either.
As one CS said to me, under the "keeping the workplace fair" rules it is a political statement and therefore you are being harrassed if you dont feel comfortable making such statements.
People can think I am being racist by not making the PA's but there are other ways for the company to do this, (ad's, voyuer mag, v'licious menu, etc) as usual they are just trying to do it the cheapest way and its going to sound insincere from most CS's if they are forced to make it.

TightSlot
23rd Feb 2008, 21:34
Aaaaah - Thanks! Can see that there might be several different schools of thought on this...

smartalec888
23rd Feb 2008, 23:27
You guys are lucky you don't have to wear the "Sorry" tie that Q decorated us with.

browni 44
24th Feb 2008, 08:52
"Acknowledgement of country PA". Now I have heard everything, that is just ridiculous.

Gloria
29th Feb 2008, 07:26
Hey all, attended the VRD day o 26Feb in MEL. Everyone was really lovely and was a good day. For those with VRD days coming up, honestly be yourself. The recruiters are great and now makes me even more want to work for VB. It certainly is hotting up in the recruitment stakes. So many people are putting their hand up for QF & JQ at the moment. After the VB day on Tuesday I now know where I personally want to be, just have to get there!!!! Has anyone heard yet who attended if they have progressed. It is going to be my worst wait ever.

Luckybell
29th Feb 2008, 07:53
Hi Gloria, Good luck with it all. I attend VBRD in Sydney, i made it through the whole day and it was about 2 weeks before i heard i had progressed through to the next stage of the recruitment process. I know the waiting part is the worst. Im still waiting to hear as well, my referee has been contacted and i received an email and phone call saying they havent got a date for the training school in Sydney as yet and we are on waiting list. Now just waiting to see if they contact me to attend a medical. I so want this job, keeping my fingers crossed!! Good luck, i hope you hear soon.

futureflier
29th Feb 2008, 22:07
Looks like they're now recruiting cabin crew for V Australia and DJ in Sydney! I've applied for both, just waiting to hear some good news!!
Good luck to all applying!

csellone
2nd Mar 2008, 22:58
I have been doing the new PAs on every flight and the response has been very positive. For 200 yrs the indigenous people of this country have been ignored. They are usually very peaceful and humble by nature and there is nothing more gratifying than seeing someone of Aboriginal descent get off a flight feeling proud and with a big smile on their face. It's got nothing to do with the "sorry business". If it improves people's self esteem, recognises them as part of our community and makes them feel valued then that's a good thing. Compare that to the atrocities happening all over the world in the name of religion. Share the love.:D

wirgin blew
4th Mar 2008, 08:30
The PA's have been modified slightly and I think BG might get a few more people making them. I will be using the BNE one for the whole network just changing it to the correct city's name. I think that will sound better than trying to pronounce the correct aboriginal name. At least the average person will now know why we are making the PA, that is if they care to listen.

QF5
4th Mar 2008, 10:40
G'day guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask a question about pay, but I'm seriously struggling with reading the cabin crew pay and working agreements.

Currently as ground crew I'm averaging 45k per annum, as a casual employee, and many cabin crew are encouraging me to join them as I'd be payed 'much better than on the ground.' Now, I've always wanted to be cabin crew, and the pay isn't the attraction for me, but reading through the most current agreement I could find (2000-2004) it looks like the cabin crew level 1 base salary is about 40k, and, adding (for example) 8 overnights a month for 12 months at $80 per night, the total is still at roughly 47.5k per year. Am I doing my maths right? I'd been lead to believe that our crew were on approx 60k p.a. including all their extras. Can anyone give an actual rough figure of fortnightly pay after tax? I've had one guy tell me it was as high as $2200 after tax.

Again, I'm not too worried, I just don't want to step down and find I can't afford to live, and I don't want to head into my application without an idea of what I'm getting into.

Thanks in advance,

~QF5

dj_candidate
4th Mar 2008, 11:38
QF5 said:
I'm seriously struggling with reading the cabin crew pay and working agreements.

I think it was designed that way - to be a struggle!

I've just printed the bridging document from the FAAA website - pulled out some pay slips - and I'll try and help out if possible....

Here's how the pay breaks down:
CC1 $34961.42(annually) $1344.67(fortnightly)DTA $ 6435.10(annually) $ 247.50(fortnightly)Misc $ 119.32(monthly) $ 119.32(fortnightly)Grooming $ 258.52(monthly) $ 49.63(fortnightly)TOTAL $45789.00(annually) $1761.12(fornightly)PAYG withholding* $ 352.00Nett Take Home Pay $1409.12(* Taken from ATO calculator with no HECS or SFSS)

There are of course other amounts that get added to your pay (all crew are reminded not to rely on these amounts - or include them when applying for loans!)Overnight Allowance: $94.00 (tax free)Cancelled Accommodation: $60(tax free)Available hours: $23.02(taxable) Commissions (monthly): $100 ~ $130(taxable)Whilst pays of $2000+ are certainly achievable (mine have been for the last 4 or so months) they can't be relied on. As you can deduce - to obtain a payment of over $2000 you would need to do 6 overnights in the fortnight or at least 5 hours available for each overnight short of that figure.

Because our overnight allowance isn't taxed it makes it a little difficult to compare an estimated total gross figure with that of ground crew. At a total base wage of ~$45k the tax bracket is 32% which on 100 overnights for the year is an extra $3000 in our pockets.

Hope this helps - but most importantly, I hope as you say, the $$ aren't the attraction

_______
edited due to formatting - alrighty - seems the forum won't allow multiple 'spaces' to allow me to line things up in columns - but hopefully it makes sense.

QF5
5th Mar 2008, 02:28
Thanks so much, that really helps me!

white_lotus22
6th Mar 2008, 11:04
Hey sorry to change the subject just hoping all you lovely people could help me out .... does anyone know when brisbane will be recruiting again ... :sad: ....... i heard they are pretty full but am really wanting Brisbane:confused: ... or how long it will take to transfer from sydney base to bris base

Thanks heaps take care all :O)

DJCCGuy
9th Mar 2008, 06:27
Hey all,

Does anyone know if E-Jet crew out of BNE are back to getting normal amounts of overnights again??

Cheers,

KittyBlue
9th Mar 2008, 07:15
Overnights for BNE crew have returned to near normal conditions before EJET arrived. All flights are mostly from SYD,CBR to other ports only.

AUSPOMME
12th Mar 2008, 18:51
Hi all,Iam currently in U.K flying with Easyjet(since Oct06),thinking of returning back to Melbourne where I live in near future.

Does anyone know if VB do recruitment drives in U.K and do they have an unofficial age policy,if you know what I mean,as Iam 37:\

What kind of trips would I expect if I was working with them,many night stops?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

matie14
14th Mar 2008, 01:27
JJ, I just got one of those a few days ago. I thought it was a thanks but no thanks email till i read furthur. I guess its a good thing, means that they will probally check your ref's then medical if the ref check is all good. The wait is painful though. I know the heart pumping feeling when ever an email comes in with "Virgin Blue" on it. Good luck though, its great that you have gone so far

Luckybell
14th Mar 2008, 04:35
JJ_Melb,

I have received that email and it is a positive sign as you have meet the Virgin Blue criteria so far and that is great news!! All I can say is they do keep you up to date on the progress of your application so within two weeks you will hear from them, even if it just states 'they are still progressing your application'. It is tough, i understand as im still waiting to hear if i have been successful for Cabin Crew in Sydney. They have contacted my referees so waiting for the go ahead for a medical, if all went well with the reference checks (fingers crossed).

It is hard waiting to hear and you do check you email constantly with the hope of hearing from them but i am keeping my fingers crossed and everything else that it will be worth the wait.

Great news you have made it this far and i hope you hear from them soon. Good luck. :)

Juicy-Fruit
15th Mar 2008, 01:48
dj_candidate said:

QF5 said:

Quote:
I'm seriously struggling with reading the cabin crew pay and working agreements.

I think it was designed that way - to be a struggle!

Hi dj_candidate,

I have been Cabin Crew with DJ for over 4 years now and I've always struggled to work out if my pay is correct! On occasion I have noticed that draft payments have been missed on my pays but all the other allowance can be quite confusing. Don't even get me started on my Annual Leave balance!

A Cabin Crew friend of mine recently paid to have her payslips reviewed and they found she had been short paid just over $500 in 12 months. I then also had my payslips checked and was short paid by $244. I was missing a couple of overnight payments and some overtime money. These guys could be helpful to people like me who find the EBA slightly confusing! :ugh:The company is called Paycheck Investigators.
Their website is:
www.paycheckinvestigators.com (http://www.paycheckinvestigators.com/)

Hope the tip helps,

wirgin blew
15th Mar 2008, 07:56
The next internal move of CC from MEL to SYD happens in the May roster I am lead to believe. This perhaps would allow them to start putting new crew with SYD based crews. Perhaps a SYD school will be starting in the next month or so to tie in with this???

Gloria
16th Mar 2008, 08:58
Hi all, seems I could be in a spot of bother. I attended VRD late Feb, got an email a week ago that said they were still making some difficult decisions!!! That can't be good. They said I would hear within a week, which is tomorrow. Gee what a wait. I really don't know what that means. All I can say is that I have truly prayed, yep said a pray or two to join VB. Good luck to all who are in the mix.

DJCCGuy
17th Mar 2008, 10:28
When are these crew who think that jokes & carry on on the PA are acceptable going to wake up and realise it is just ridiculous?

It has been said time & time again, that jokes during the safety demonstration are not allowed, and yet time and time again I am still hearing the same old jokes ... pax just look at us like we're a bunch of idiots and like safety is a joke to us...

I'm sure if I bought a 'Premium Economy' ticket to give Virgin Blue a try rather than QF, I wouldn't want to be hearing childish "...as we are on descent please hand over any rubbish, husbands, diamonds, credit cards & children..."

You don't have to be stupid on the PA to deliver great service and make the flight memorable for the pax...

Am curious to know if other airlines; Jetstar, Tiger etc, have this sought of carry on on the PA's onboard??

wirgin blew
17th Mar 2008, 11:09
DJCCGUY - If the jokes happen after "There is a serious side to the flight..." then a safety/hazard form should be completed. Otherwise it is still encouraged on the appropriate flight/time of the day. I know we do it day in day out and the jokes wear thin on us but some of our customers choose us because of those cheesy jokes. It is still a requirement to include a little flair/joke in the landing PA but with the serious side of that PA due to acknowledgment of country PA I wonder whether or not if that is appropriate.

transcontinentalcc
17th Mar 2008, 11:25
As per the inflight audit checklist, "humour on landing" is no longer mandatory.

transcontinentalcc
17th Mar 2008, 11:28
PS. wirgin_blew... applied for VAus?

AUSPOMME
17th Mar 2008, 11:47
Iam CC with Easyjet,and although we do inject an element of humour into the days proceedings will usually stick to box p/a,s for landing,boarding and always safety demo.

Luckybell
18th Mar 2008, 03:43
JJ_Melb

If the job cancelled is your VBRD application, its ok its the same on mine and i still have received emails saying my application is being processed. Dont stress about that, it seems to be the norm. Just wait to hear from them, just remember you have progressed past the recruitment day, think positive thoughts!! Keeping my fingers crossed you hear from them soon. Good luck :)

DJCCGuy
18th Mar 2008, 08:38
If the jokes happen after "There is a serious side to the flight..." then a safety/hazard form should be completed.

If they would bring in the pre-recorded safety demonstration like they have been saying for years then this wouldn't be continually happening... anyone know whats happening with that? They were flights where the pre-recorded safety demo was actuallying being used for testing but have heard nothing since...

ozangel
18th Mar 2008, 09:22
DJCCguy -

I agree with the after 'there is a serious side to the flight' the remainder of the demo being silly-ness free. Frankly, I would rather the odd joke slipped in than a monotone drill sergeant voice, or worse yet, incessant giggling/laughter from a CS who finds something hillarious - especially when the rest of the cabin has no idea what it is. Granted it can be difficult/a pain when row one try their hardest to lure you into a joke or distract.

That said: Prior to 'serious side to the flight' I think it's an excellent way to gain the attention of passengers if done appropriately (which most of the time it is). Do a bit of a search on 'passive safety briefings' (whereby the attention is requested of pax, and the safety features are pointed out - like you would get if the CS just read the text word for word). The ATSB did a pretty big study in conjunction with Virgin Blue and a number of Australian/Asian airlines, and the results in evac trials using both active and passive safety briefings as well as the different commands used at different airlines - are quite interesting. It does make a difference.

On the business flights its not really appropriate - but if you have the right crowd - I don't see a problem with a little bit of light-heartedness.

We may do four flights a day, many of our passengers would be lucky to do two a year.

Finally, if there is one little gripe I have about safety demonstrations at any airline (and it happens at every airline), its those who don't demonstrate the oxygen mask and life jacket correctly:
The oxygen mask should be held close to your face and the strap be around the back of your head - not 1ft off your nose with the strap above your forehead. And dont yank it so hard that when it drops that in real life the pax will follow your lead and pull them out of the roof. Research following a number of depressurisations show that a number of people follow the demo exactly how its done - tried to use the things holding them like the crew do in the demo - if they hadnt already pulled it out of the socket. The life jacket waist strap should be pulled tight - not pulled an inch and left to dangle around the back of your knees - and dont yank those toggles, memory learning will put you and the pax at risk of doing it with your live one in the cabin prep demo (when you actually need it!).

(Not my imagination there - proper research has been done on it).

AirborneSoon
18th Mar 2008, 20:40
I got an invite for a VRD in first week of April in Sydney for Sydney based CC. Anyone else going? :E

matie14
19th Mar 2008, 21:59
JJ_Melbourne. Yeah mine has done that too. Virgin are really good with all this stuff, they would let you know if you dident get through... well I hope. Im going through it all too! My ref's still havent said that they were called, and its day 11 since I got the progresion email. I figure I have waited SO long just to get a look in, I can wait a few more days. Its getting hard though. But hang in there! Fingers crossed for you!!!

futureflier
20th Mar 2008, 06:12
Yes! Will probably see you there on that day!
I'm fully excited! and have also requested for the day off so nothing can come in its way!

By the way, that www.paycheckinvestigators.com (http://www.paycheckinvestigators.com/) sounds reall interesting! I should use them for my current workplace!

smartalec888
25th Mar 2008, 12:24
Can someone explain the stages of recruitment, like how long or what happens after the progression email?

chicka
25th Mar 2008, 13:27
the training school for syd base DJ staff is tentitively booked for the 12th may, this is because they were hoping to hold the training in Sydney as Virgin are undergoing massive expansion of the sydney premises. Unfortunately the site doesn't look like it is going to be ready for the 12th May so they will have to look at alternatives venues such as BNE or MEL.

As you can imagine the recruitment team are inundated at the moment with all the recruiting for Sydney base staff and the recruitment for V OZ, they can be a little slow with getting back to you, but they will definately get back to you eventually.:O

futureflier
26th Mar 2008, 02:43
Thats great info!
With all this massive expansion, how many crews are they looking for to be based in Sydney for Virgin Blue?

Luckybell
26th Mar 2008, 10:48
Hey Newhere,

I have my medical this week. I received a phone call saying i have progressed to the final stages and to book in for a medical. They have a training school date so hopefully it starts happening from here. Good luck to you, i hope you hear soon! Im so excited!!

Black Maria
27th Mar 2008, 06:35
Just a question on the Virgin PA thing,

recently travelled on Virgin and as part of the arrival PA (the welcome to XXX where the local time is ...etc) the cabin Manager started a spiel about who the traditional aboriginal owners of said location were etc etc.

Missed most of it as the seat belt sign was turned off during the speil and all and sundry were more interested in getting out of the seat, thus making it hard to hear the rest.

So, the question, is Virgin replacing humour with history or was it just a one of thing (no wasn't "Sorry" day, quite some many weeks after).

smartalec888
27th Mar 2008, 10:12
Its called Acknowledgement of country PA, don't go there... already discussed.

BlondieGal
28th Mar 2008, 06:14
Hi All!

Just wondering if anyone knows how recruitment is going for brisbane base? I see that they are recruiting again for brissy base but people are on waitlists for the base currently? Is it now common practice for DJ to have people on the wait list to put straight into ground school as per demand?

Thanks heaps and best of luck with the applications!

BG

wirgin blew
30th Mar 2008, 13:12
s it now common practice for DJ to have people on the wait list to put straight into ground school as per demand?

Always has been as far as I am aware.

I hope CC are sending back the survey from Griffith Uni. Lets see if we can beat the pilots on how "engaged" we are.

matie14
30th Mar 2008, 23:22
OK, Now im getting worried now. Virgin have been great keeping in touch with emails, letting me know that they are still waiting ect... but im getting a little worried again... I have the pregression emails to keep me happy, but the waiting is getting hard! Anyone else still waiting, or had to wait about a month before ref checks and med checks?

newhere
31st Mar 2008, 04:57
matie,
think is normal still waiting myself for same,my vrd was 4 weeks ago aswell:rolleyes:

flapsforty
31st Mar 2008, 07:18
Posts in this forum MUST:

Be in English
Not use text message abbreviations.
Make sufficient use of punctuation & grammar to be readable.
Not be used instead of private messages.
Not be used to tell somebody else about a private message.
Have a point (i.e. be relevant to the thread and not chatter)

Thanks for your help...

DoraDreaming
31st Mar 2008, 11:56
I know waiting can be very stressful but try not to stress too much. You are lucky the process is progressing this quickly for you (and i hope it continues to do so). I attended VRD back in Sept last year. My references were checked withing a few weeks but had been on the waitlist from there ever since. I was only just requested to attend medical a few weeks ago.... now waiting again - hopefully for a start date!

matie14
31st Mar 2008, 22:02
newhere, thanks. Feel a little better. Mine was 4 weeks ago today. Dont get me wrong, I am SO grateful that I have got this far. I just came back from a holiday in Perth (met my partners family), flew back on Virgin and was all excited to see that it could be me working on that plane one day. Coming back to my office job wasn't the best feeling though. So I was worried that my chances were coming to an end. But I'm all filled with faith again. DoraDreaming... you doing well and being patient, I will hold in there!

DoraDreaming
1st Apr 2008, 12:29
After posting that post yesterday about having a long wait I finally got "the phone call" today. I start ground school for BNE base in May. So relieved and very excited. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear.

newhere
1st Apr 2008, 19:49
dora dreaming,you waited ages good stuff:ok::D

Luckybell
1st Apr 2008, 23:08
DoraDreaming,

Congratulations!! How exciting!! I bet you are relieved and extremely happy! Good luck with it all! :ok:

bbear75
2nd Apr 2008, 09:16
Libra89, I would think about editing your post and removing your name. It is against airline policy to post on these forums and applicants have been rejected because they have made themselves obviously known on PPrune. It would be terrible to not realise your dream because of a slip up!

matie14
4th Apr 2008, 04:58
Congrats DorraDreaming! Great news! And JJ_Melb, thats also great news! I got another email yesterday telling touching base, letting me know that my ref's will be contacted in a few weeks. I know its good news, im a greatful person, and would love to have the job, im getting sad with all this waiting. Its like its right there, but just cant reach it. Still... its a day off tomorrow, and its a nice day for a walk in the sun.
Congrats again Dorra and JJ

arjay88
4th Apr 2008, 08:30
Hey guys, i guess this is the best place to post this.

It maybe off topic, but I wanted to know what was the VRD day like for Ground/Pit Crew here in the Brisbane Based.
I am attending the VRD next week and was wondering if anyone could tell me their experiances with the process, whatk ind of questions they will ask, what procedures they go through the medical etc. Just need some tips/advice to prepare myself for the day

Thanks

RollzRoyce
6th Apr 2008, 14:10
If any aussies out there want to apply for Virgin Blue send me a PM i can give some advice about the recruitment process and tell you some sources that you may want to refer to increase your chances in getting the job!

Cheers

Rollz

futureflier
7th Apr 2008, 08:01
Hey guys, just a quick question. I'm attending the VRD this week and was just looking through the list of documents needed. It says I need, "Valid Certificate for both SFA and CPR ".
I did take a SFA course almost 6 months ago and just got one certificate for Senior First Aid but we obviously did CPR as part of the course. I don't actually have a separate CPR certificate only a small thing on the side of the SFA cert that says "resuscitation principles recommended by the Australian Resuscitation Council"
Is it just me or is this the case?:confused:
And since its almost 6 months ago, should I take a refresher course??
Any help is great!!

dj_candidate
7th Apr 2008, 11:39
Futureflier,

The CPR component of the SFA is valid for only one year - so if your SFA is less than 1 year old it will be valid for both. If your SFA was more than 12 months old you would need a 2nd certificate to show that your CPR is current.

Hope this helps

Melody23
8th Apr 2008, 12:18
hey matey!!
How is Sydney??? I have been reading these threads now-and-then and they are really interesting... C-ing all the luckyAS peeps getting GREAT jobz
GOOD ON YA'S xoxox
I have been shortlisted 4a position with VB (Brizzy) not sure where the venue is yet.. Would luv to hear what u have to say!!!

Libra89
8th Apr 2008, 13:01
Hey all,

I just found out that I suceeded in getting into the final round for Virgin Blue CC, i.e. into ref checking and medical tests. So i know it's not a job offer but definitely a plus.

I absolutely loved the well-organised and well-structured recruitment process that Virgin Blue puts candidates through - from the VRD alone I felt so inspired, enlightened and I learnt so much about the role and the company - some great insight.

cherrie
9th Apr 2008, 07:47
hi guys just wondering how everyone is going re: call backs for bris recruitment day :)

any info greatly appreciated :)

joeflyguy
9th Apr 2008, 23:01
I agree Libra.... I have heard nothing but possitive things about their recruitment process. Apparently right now they are looking at recruiting experienced 777 Cabin Crew and are looking at Air NZ and Emirates as a scource.

Many Air NZ crew I know are interested and have said the Virgin HR people put Air NZ to shame.

bbear75
10th Apr 2008, 07:04
Leaves Qantas Cabin Crew Australia's recruitment methods for dead

I have to agree with you libra89...Qcca recruitment is a SHAMBLES!! There are still people waiting from assessment days held at the end of Jan. Not good enough.

However, I am in the middle of training with them at the moment, and I am very impressed with the training. There are several ex-Virgin Blue staff who think pretty highly of it too. I am also very excited about getting online with Qantas and I think with 600 newbies already hired, there will be a positive energy bought with us that will make a difference.

It's lucky that there are so many airlines recruiting to suit different personality's and lifestyles. I've always wanted to fly long haul, so jumped at the chance with Qantas after waiting five years since the last intake.

I wish everyone applying, waiting and training all the very best :) Don't look at it as a competition between the airlines. We all suit one or another!

xsite
10th Apr 2008, 08:31
hey guys i went to my vrd yesterday and i made it to the arvo interviews..wasnt too fussed as im starting with rex next week....if i get vb its a hard deciscion as both have good and bad qualities...

BlondieGal
10th Apr 2008, 10:58
Hi All!, wondering if anyone is on the waitlist for Brisbane base? I went last year and am still waiting :( they say no news is good news but the wait is killing me! There is QCCA interview coming up but I'm pretty confident I want a Brisbane based position where my family is.

BG :)

OzyOS
10th Apr 2008, 11:18
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone could tell me what the base salary is for Virgin Blue Cabin Managers as well as monthly hours?

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers

matie14
10th Apr 2008, 23:22
YAY, one of my refrences called and said that she got a call from VB after a refrence check. Getting a little bit closer... the wait is still killing me though. But I have to say, I have been updated every week or 2, and when they say something in the update, they mean it. Hope its not too much longer of a wait.

sebby
11th Apr 2008, 01:40
Joeyflyguy,

Are you aware if many NZ crew have applied for positions with V australia? Are they happy to relocate to Sydney? Just curious what the response from NZ Crew has been as they will be inteviewing in AKL. :ok:

BlondieGal
14th Apr 2008, 08:11
Matie14 is that for Sydney or brissy base? I feel like a nob checking my phone all the time just in case they call.. :ugh:

Libra89
14th Apr 2008, 09:40
Hi
I was just wondering if anyone could help me....
I'm at the stage where I've been told my refs are being checked and they said they will contact me this coming tuesday.

I want to go away for a week, but I'm worried that when they tell me to go for my medical i would have to do it quite soon...do you know the timeframe given to complete medicals from the time your told to do one?

Can anyone else give their advice on the matter?

Thanks and all the best everyone!!

xsite
14th Apr 2008, 12:22
i went for my vrd on the 9th and i made it to the arvo interviews i got an email today saying that my application has made it past the recruitment day...anyone know what that means?

AirborneSoon
14th Apr 2008, 22:19
It means you'll probably get another email in a day or two saying they're either reference checking (yay!) or thanks but no thanks. It's just a standard update email that expertly sits on the fence while they continue to process applications.

matie14
15th Apr 2008, 02:08
Blondiegal, Its for the Syd base. I check my phone, email, hell even my star signs ahhahah, every hour to see if I have an answer. Hang in there though. Go for the QCCA still, you could be waiting a long time with them too. Good luck

exmax
15th Apr 2008, 11:34
Libra & xsite - I have sent you both a PM.

exmax:ok:

FlyAway79
16th Apr 2008, 11:28
Hi all

very very new to this site but very very exxcited! have just been given a date for the mel base VRD......is there anyone out there who has recelty completed one and can give me an idea of what to expect? any help advice and suggestions would be oh so muchly appreciated!!:)

AirborneSoon
16th Apr 2008, 22:32
THe VRD is a great day and a lot of fun. Actually you don't need to know any of the specifics beforehand because it won't help anyway. The best you can do to prepare is...

1. Give yourself loads of time to get there so you're relaxed when you arrive.
2. Wear business attire so you feel comfortable when you see the other candidates turning up in suits.
3.Know why you want to be cabin crew and why this airline in particular
4. Review your past work history so you can answer detailed questions about it.
5. Bring some cash to buy a coffee and snack during the breaks.

:ok: Lots of people feel they could have done better in some sections but progress anyway. It's not about being perfect. It's about being relaxed and natural and doing the best you can.

And my final tip. If you don't progress don't take it as a reflection on your ability to do the job. Realise that each airline has their own culture and are looking for different types of personality. If you don't fit one airline you may be perfect for another. So take the experience and apply to the next one.

Good luck.

matie14
16th Apr 2008, 23:07
flyaway79,

Congrats on getting invited to the VRD, it really is a fun day, if not a bit nervy. I was SO scared, I was more scared about all the people that would be there. But Virgin do it really really well. You quickly start to feel comfortable, and start to talk to people, and even meet new friends.

My tip is to SMILE, be approachable, talk to people, candidates, and the Virgin staff, they are there to meet you. Im kinda shy, but after 15mins at the VRD I was fine. The hardest part is when you first walk in for the day. Another tip arrive a little early, that way you can start to introduce to other people as they start coming in.

Remember to be yourself and be honest. The virgin staff are trained to see through a fake person. They want to see who your really are!

So, in closing, SMILE, be approachable, be yourself, and have a good time.

Good luck!

I Just Want To Fly
17th Apr 2008, 02:26
Any VB guys and gals able to shed any light on what the email

"Your application has progressed to the next stage after the recruitment day"

means? Does that mean reference checks and medical?

It is actually for a V-Aus application, but I am presuming that the recruitment process is the same as V-Blue

PS, Matie14 How is Polo?

Chris21
17th Apr 2008, 06:07
When I was hired by Virgin Blue some years ago that was the same email sent to me, references where then checked. I then was then sent another one and a phone call with details of my medical.

As V Australia is using the recruitment team as Blue I would say that this is what it means for you also.

sky_high_boi
18th Apr 2008, 14:48
Hey all,

I heard a while back that Virgin Blue are currenly recruiting for Sydney based Cabin crew. Does anyone know if they are still looking?
Is it too late for me to apply online still?
Also..regarding the resume ect...is it necessary to include a photo?
And what about weight/height and age ect?
Just wondering.
Also I know this is a VB forum but does anyone know if Qantas will be recruiting for CC this year in Syd?
Please let me know.
Thanks

AirborneSoon
18th Apr 2008, 21:17
Since Virgin are still running a job Ad on Seek and they were in the paper last week for Syd CC (as were REX BTW) then I don't think it's too late to apply. In any case I would get my online app in regardless and be there for the next recruitment round, whenever that may be.

Have no idea about QF...

FlyAway79
19th Apr 2008, 05:31
Hi SKI HI BOI

Just speaking from personal exp, when i first applied for the MEL base via the web page they were recruiting for BNE MEL and SYD. Eventually a close date appeared for BNE and than it was taking of the 'opportunities'page with only MEL and SYD recruiting. Eventually MEL had a closing date of 5 APR and than it was taken of the site. About a week later they started sending out invites for the MEL base VRD. I just checked the website and SYD is still 'recruiting now' with no close date so I would def say you haven't missed out and should put your app in as they will prob close off the app for SYD soon! Best of luck!

sky_high_boi
19th Apr 2008, 18:10
Thanks guys for your responses...

I updated my resume and applied on the VB website.
There was alot of questions to be answered about past jobs and referees ect...but I finally finnished. I also applied for REX while I was at it.
I hope I atleast get into the interview.
You have no idea how much I want this..and im not even worried about the pay or anything..its just the job I want lol.
Anyway if anyone has any advise or anything gimme a holla..
Cyaaaaaaa

DJCCGuy
21st Apr 2008, 04:23
With the profits lower than last year, and $100m in cost cutting just around the corner, all us crew online need to pull together to do our bit as well to help, because every little bit does help!

OTP - Lets get these planes out on time! If they are delayed, then lets do everything we can to turn it around in the quickest possible time! Crew motivation has been dropping lately but we need to work as a team because it can be done!

Catering - If there is anyone out there who is still helping themselves to the onboard catering, report them! If it's you, stop it! Revenue from our onboard sales is important, and plus we get commission, so why allow it to happen? At the end of the day everything is counted, and if one thing is missing, it effects our commission and overall revenue.

Service - Watch how many milks and sugars you're giving people. It sounds minor, but if you just ask how many they require, it has the potential to save $100's of thousands each year. And L2 watch your stores order, if the galley is already full of crew water, has 3 packets of napkins etc, you dont need to order more!

Sounds like I'm a DM or something, but I'm not im just crew, concerned about the future of our company. Rumour is overnights are about to go which is a huge loss of money for us, so please lets all do the right thing and help the company. And if you have any other ideas on how to help, spread the word and write an Action Sheet!

:ok:

KittyBlue
21st Apr 2008, 05:11
sorry to say due to cost cutting 'ACTION SHEETS' has been removed, check CCON Item 096/08.

tongue and cheek about the cost cutting thing, thou not about the Action sheets being removed.

DJCCGuy
21st Apr 2008, 05:24
Oh thanks KittyBlue! Something always changes after a few days off!

langa1
21st Apr 2008, 06:53
I have just a simple question....
i recently attended a VBRD in sydney. I was give information on the salary of training and year one flight attendents. they seem lower then the original jetstar (NOT TEAM JETSTAR) is this correct? (low 30's) your help would be greatly appreciated.

indamiddle
22nd Apr 2008, 02:24
a mate who flies for jetstar base pay = $38000+
new entry crew = $33000+

sky_high_boi
22nd Apr 2008, 09:16
Hey all,

I know most airlines these days have hundreds and thousands of applications sent through every year, but I was just wondering if anyone knows how long after you apply online Virgin Blues website they email to tell you if your application or CV is being looked at or if they want you to attend the first interview. Ive only had the "we have successfully received your application" email which is fine because it was only a few days ago but just curious. I am patient person and understand the whole process can take months but also, I registered online about a week because I applied for the position so do you think this would affect my chances? I didnt have time to do it all in one sitting...
Anyway if anyone is currenly working for VB or has been through all this process/or just has knowledge about this please let me know.
Thanks for your time.

flyer_18-737
22nd Apr 2008, 10:25
Ouchy Ouch!

What makes the pay go up more???

sebby
22nd Apr 2008, 10:29
I think the info they have given you is just base salary.

There are allowances that top this up fortnightly/monthly depending on the hours you work and any overnight trips completed.

FlyAway79
22nd Apr 2008, 11:54
Hi High Fly Boy

I think you are talking about the syd base application. You will only receive the email that you have so far until they close the applicaitons for the base. From exp once they registration has closed it is about 1-2 weeks before they start sending out the invitations. Until they close the job position than you just have to wait and wait and thinks do eventually start rolling! fingers xxx for you

matie14
23rd Apr 2008, 01:30
I just did a medical for VB in the last week days... not too hard, but not fun. Does anyone know, now that everything is out of the way, when I might find out if I have a job? I check my phone every few minutes JUST IN CASE someone left a message. I have been on edge for 2 months now. Is the wait nearly over? Or is it back on that wait list?

sharz87
23rd Apr 2008, 01:36
Hi!
i was just wondering whats happening with overnights.. i have heard rumours that crew aren't getting as many overnights as of late?
i've got an interview coming up in syd and was just curious as i know how much of a big difference overnights can make to ur pay!

futureflier
23rd Apr 2008, 05:51
Its two weeks tomorrow from my VRD and I haven't heard anything from them so I have no idea what to make of it but the wait is killing me!!
Also, I just noticed that my application for the cc in the website is now under "job cancelled"!!! I must admit that freaked me out a bit!
I'd call them but I don't even have a phone number! :sad:

wilrc1
23rd Apr 2008, 11:10
I heard VB were considering cutting costs by having staff overnighting, on board the aircraft on the stand, rather than in a hotel... gee i wouldnt want to be sitting on the apron at LST or HBT in mid winter!! I guess the alternate is what jetstar do, run MEL-DWN return overnight with same crew, sleeping across seats at the back of the aircraft...I dont understand why people are desperate to join jetstar or virgin or even tiger when the pay is just above minumum wage!

wirgin blew
24th Apr 2008, 00:41
What the heck are you talking about buddy? The proposed EBA discussed the possibility of a split shift and up to 3 hours on board the aircraft or in the terminal to achieve this. Any longer and they have to find accommodation which is set by the FAAA, VB, and VB Security. All of which would come under the OH&S act.

As for minimum wage, I am not sure but I am clearing on avg $2200 per fortnight for less than 70 hours work. I would hardly call that struggling.

Perhaps you are winding me up?

PS Kitty Blue they have just been renamed. Gotta keep busy in HQ or you might find yourself part of the cutbacks.

KittyBlue
24th Apr 2008, 08:36
Gasp!!! what a horrid thought!!! Poor Kitty relagated to checking or worse!!!!! Management!!!

hehehehhehehe

sky_high_boi
24th Apr 2008, 10:22
Hi all,

I got the email today to advise that I have been invited to a VRD day in Sydney next month.
Im so exited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But im also very nervous as ive never been to an interview for an airline before and even though I have heard that it is a fun day, I am worried about the psycological testing that is appareantly done. Is it like trick questions and that sort of thing?
Anyway I hope I answer the answers right and that I stand out..
Also does anyone know what the height restrictions is in CM for males?
I really want to get through and glad im a potential candidate at this point!!!
Thanks cya :-)

sky_high_boi
26th Apr 2008, 10:16
Hi all, again.

About the height thing I just realised that when I first applied it was one of the questions that was asked so I am within the height restrictions.
I just thought maybe it was going to be different for males?

Anyway has anyone recently attended a VRD day or is going to one soon?
Are the group activities really that hard as what someone was saying before? Or is it more just a test to see that you can socialise and are enthusiastic and able to work in a team ect.

Also that book about flight attending, what is is called again..and is there anywhere else I get it from appart from ordering it online?

Thanks I appreciate your help :-)

sky_high_boi
28th Apr 2008, 08:44
Hi,

Yes I have been invited to a Virgin Blue Recruitment Day as well but the week after you. I have never been to one before.
Sing and Dance with props? That sounds a bit strange for an interview as that is not required for the job. Im glad they got rid of that...maybe it was just to test your personality or see how confident you are infront of other people.
I am also trying to find out what to expect on the day. What kind of group activites do they get you to do and do the 1 on 1 interview questions get very technical. Im also trying to see if anyone knows roughly how many ppl are in each interview. Like is it around 30 or so or more like 60-70 ect...
If anyone has any knowledge or experience please let us know..
Thanks

xsite
28th Apr 2008, 09:07
hey i got a email to say im being ref checked...just wondering how often does vb pay go up...like rex goes up from start to 6 months about 10grand diff does vb pay go up aswell or does it stay the same?

sky_high_boi
28th Apr 2008, 09:32
Thanks for the useful info...

Can I ask though...what were the group activities? And what was the role play you had to perform?
With questions like "what cartoon character would you like to be?" Is this a psycological test? Like do they care what character you choose or is it the way you answer and the logical reason you chose it? You know what I mean? What did you say...
Im stressing over this as im worried they are going to ask me some dumb question like that and im not gonna know what to say...but strangley when it comes to the more technical stuff I find it easier lol.
Its good that they are checking your references though...it means you could get it...but if you already have a job I dunno..
I need to just calm down lol.

Dixondik
28th Apr 2008, 22:55
Sky high boi,

Before I start I am in no way a Flighty, however, you can relate all interview experiences in some way or another. I have endured ADF testing, selection and interviews and more recently AsA interviews. The best thing I found was to be yourself, be honest and try to remain calm (as hard as it sounds:p).

Do not try to look into why they ask the questions, the reasoning behind it etc. As I said, be honest and confident. If your not the person they want, so be it, their loss. I found this advice gold, especially with the ADF and AsA. They ask your some very left field questions!

Best of luck and be sure to let us know how it goes :O (My Mrs applied for DJ in MEL, so unfortunately VRDs are not as frequent as SYD ones.)

Gloria
29th Apr 2008, 10:40
Hey guys & gals has any one who had a VRD day for MEL CC in Feb 08 heard anymore. My references have been checked, haven't heard anymore. I get the impression that they are doing alot of recruitment for SYD. Does this mean that MEL is being put back. I am so close but the wait is honestly a killer!!!!! Goodluck to all, VB are a great company, I just want to work for them now.

RollzRoyce
29th Apr 2008, 13:05
Hi Everyone,

I know of a few sources that i can highly recommend you read that will help you with the VRD interviews. Relates directly to the whole interview process etc... Dont hesitate to contact me through Private message and I may be able to direct you in the right path.

Also if you are off the street have no idea about the interview processes airlines use and dying to become an F/A just message me and I will try to help you out!

Good Luck

Regards,

Rollz

newhere
30th Apr 2008, 21:12
hi guys,
I am up to the stage of my medical,does this take a hour or so to do ?
Can anybody telll me please!:)

Sara Fanta
1st May 2008, 11:18
The truth is...
its all added up based on observation. They have people wtching your interpersonal skills, personality, speech etc. The list really does go on....it is is a very thorough recruitment process. It is not designed for "right" answers or behaviours, but to weed out the people they dont want. The activities set out on the day change ALL of the time, so taking advice on what you will be in for will only stuff u up really. They know when people are just telling them what they want to hear. They are not after "perfect" but rather "natural" "honest".

All the activities are designed to get a natural reaction, and a friend of mine who researched and researched and then rehearsed, was actually perfect for the job, but didnt get it, because as they found out through a contact, that her answers werent real and felt, they were rehearsed. They are watching your face and your body language and the activities are there not to cath you out, but to give you the opportunities to show your virgin flair. I know its easy to say, but really be yourself!

The day is not set up for the experienced airliner or experienced recruitment attender...infact its the opposite. It is the most easy going interview I have ever been to.

Be yourself DO NOT STUDY or TRY to pass. If you are right for it and you know why...then its yours!

I hope u all do really well! But dont focus too much on all that stuff, just go there and be you!

and yes i did get the job..and I am loving it!

sky_high_boi
1st May 2008, 11:45
Hi,

And thanks to everyone who has given me advice about the interview and their experiences.
I understand what you mean about being "natural" and "fishing out" what they dont want. So there are more concerned about being real than faking your way through because they will be able to tell.
I just worry that they will ask a question and I will stumble...but anyway I will deal with it lol.
Anyone know if they have a different height restriction for males than females?

matie14
2nd May 2008, 10:08
I AM NOW VIRGIN BLUE CABIN CREW!

Im very happy!

I would love to hear from all you guys that already work for VB, whats it like? Whats training like? whats pay like? Whats the benefits? What are the shifts like? Did the over nights issue sort itsself out?

Im real excited, but dont start for ages, and love to know ALL I can before I start. soooooooo tell me everything, good and bad! PLEASE!

Thanks

AirborneSoon
2nd May 2008, 12:48
Tis true what they say. Everyone at my recruitment day who tried too hard was eliminated. The ones who got to stay were all relaxed and taking everything one step at a time. You just have to remember that everyone is weak in at least one area. Everyone stumbles on a question or two, everyone finds themselves feeling inadequate in some way. And almost everyone who gets to stay for the afternoon wonders why some of those eliminated are going home.

Standard interviewing prep techniques will not help you at a recruitment day because it is not a standard interview. They want to see what you are really like so if you leave your true self at home on the day you will miss out on an opportunity to be recruited.

Getting an airline job isn't about having insider information. It's about just being the right person, with the right attitude and personality on the day. The best way to prepare for that is to be in a face to face customer contact job for a couple of years. It'll develop your confidence and self awareness which goes miles.

sky_high_boi
6th May 2008, 06:00
Hi all,

Ok so I got my VRD next week and I got a few questions if anyone can help me out?
I know its competitive and the best thing to do is just be natural and be yourself..but what kind of Role Plays do they put you through if you are progressed into the afternoon? I have never worked in airlines before and am not sure of all the procedures yet so how would I respond? Or is it just a basic overview of "what would you do" if something happened on board?
Do you think a suit/tie is appropriate or just casual smart? Ive heard a few different perspectives on this.
And also when I hand in my copy of my resume do you think it is best to include a photograph or do they take polaroids on the day or its not necessary?
Your help will be appreciated. Thankyou...
And congratulations to anyone who has been successful so far in the recruitment process.
Kind Regards

AirborneSoon
6th May 2008, 07:06
sky-high-boi

They do not expect you to have airline knowledge on the recruitment days and the role plays do not need it. Many of the candidates there will not be from an airline background.

Take only what they ask for nothing more and nothing less. If they want photos they will ask for them. I personally would wear business attire if only because it helps you to feel secure when you see others wearing it.

Good luck:ok:

Grove
6th May 2008, 08:17
Can anyone give me an idea what SYD based cabin crew roster are like??
Overnights??
Are SYD based crew earning similar money to other bases??
Hours etc??
Many Thanks..

matie14
7th May 2008, 00:36
I would love to know what the Sydney rosters are like too. Anyone have an idea?

flyer_18-737
7th May 2008, 02:14
Do virgin have Overnights??

sky_high_boi
9th May 2008, 08:11
Hi all again,

Yeah I am still nervous about my VRD day next week but I know that once ive settled in there I will be more relaxed.
And yes I am not going to try too hard and be over the top bubbly because I know they will see through this and realise its fake, so im just going to be natural and myself but still smile alot.
Im hoping the role plays arent too difficult and is more just about common sense.
Lol some of the CC Ive seen on VB and JS I do wonder how they get through as they look terrible and have no customer service skills showing..but the majority of them are great. At the end of the day they cant expect perfect people as it is a budget airline within australia, its not Emirates International 1st Class.
Also because im a guy...people have told me there is generally more females there..about the suit and tie thing..people have said not to wear a tie as they are looking for more relaxed funky people. Lol I was thinking about wearing an open colar shirt with a suit jacket and no tie...let me know what you think :-)

flyer_18-737
10th May 2008, 02:18
No tie!

Relaxed outfit, but still formal. No Trackpants or Singlet guys

exmax
10th May 2008, 14:51
Well that's very interesting about the 'no tie' statement. Maybe I'm old school but I like to do things properly, I wore a suit and tie and I made it right through to the job offer.

It's probably been said many times before for nearly all airlines but I'll add it anyway. Just be relaxed, confident, punctual and talk to other candidates. Also be prepared to give negative and positive examples of when you dealt with the public, what was the situation, how did you deal with it and what was the resolution...that kind of thing.

In saying all of that, I'd agree with Airbornesoon, you don't need the company info as they will tell you about the company anyway but it's good to get familiar in any respect.

Good luck on the day and that's to anyone going for Virgin.

exmax.

Tray Juggler
10th May 2008, 15:48
Hello to everyone.

Was thinking about applying for Virgin Blue, so did a search for the EBA on Wagenet but could only find the one that expired in 2005. Is there any way that i can access your current agreement (presuming that the one that has expired has been replaced) to get an overview of the pay and conditions?

Also, from current Blue crew, what's the atmosphere like? Generally a good feeling on board between crew (flightdeck and cabin)? Between management and crew?

Do you have some form of bidding/request system, or is it just a matter of taking whatever the rostering gods throw at you?

And my last request, what are the chances for career development? Do they encourage you to move up the ranks or into other areas of the airline?

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone with assessment days that are coming up!

KittyBlue
11th May 2008, 02:56
the 2005 EBA is still current, just add 3% to base wage.

A revised EBA was voted and declined by the CC and was to be reoffered thou the company held off on the second round process.

We are still currently on the 2005 EBA.

I must say re: interaction with cabin and flight crews are great, a very cohesive team in and out of the plane. Enjoyable to have interactions with crews.

wirgin blew
11th May 2008, 14:43
Do you have some form of bidding/request system, or is it just a matter of taking whatever the rostering gods throw at you?

And my last request, what are the chances for career development? Do they encourage you to move up the ranks or into other areas of the airline?

Firstly, Kronos is our new rostering system. Apparently Emirates have this system already??? First month of the new system is June rosters and both FC and CC eagerly await the result of this new software.

Career development has not been greater than it is now. With 50+ 737's, 20+ Embraer's, and not to forget the 777's on the way VB/VOZ is expanding like nobody's business. Currently they are advertising internally for CC, CS, Ad-hoc CC trainers, etc. The list goes on. If you can get your foot in the door, keep a clean sheet (low profile) then within 12 months of being CC I wouldn't be surprised if you had a shiny new red bagde (CS).

CC schools in MEL and SYD till the end of the year, maybe only a couple in BNE.

Tray Juggler
11th May 2008, 17:30
Thanks wirgin blew and KittyBlue!

Will definitely start filling in my application and keep my fingers crossed for an invite.

I considered applying for VAustralia, but the thought of any more long-haul is enough to make me jump from the boarding door.

If you don't mind another question, how does the new bidding system work? Obviously you don't yet know whether it is effective in giving you what you want, but what are the capabilities of the system? Can you bid for maximum overnights, early/late starts or finishes, certain routes, aircraft types? Is it seniority based?

Thanks again.

BlondieGal
12th May 2008, 02:39
Hi all!

Just a quick question if anyone knows when the next ground schools will be in Brissy? They seem to be slowing them down??? Any reason why??

Thanks in advance

BG

dj_candidate
12th May 2008, 04:21
how does the new bidding system work?...
...what are the capabilities of the system? Can you bid for maximum overnights, early/late starts or finishes, certain routes, aircraft types? Is it seniority based?

Hi Tray_Juggler

Crew place their requests into the system, ranking them by their importance. The system works by scoring each person based on the bids it is able to satisfy to give each crew member a satisfaction ranking. It endeavours to get as many as possible close to the average for the company. It also checks each crew member over the previous 2 months and can 'favour' crew who have been under the average previously.

Capability wise - we've been told there are many bid-options (additional ones may get rolled out over the coming months) - Management have also communicated that the system may not be fully compatible with the work-rules that we currently have as it is mostly used by airlines following the CAP371 guidelines)

Our current options include bidding for days off (specific dates or day-of-the week), Overnight ports (specific date or general), overnights (greater than, equal to, or less than), signon time (preference or avoid)

Bidding for specific pairings is an option that will be coming in the future. As for a/c type - haven't heard anything on this.

Seniority - it did come into play under the old system if 2 people bid identically it would look at start-date - but under the new system, I don't see that it would be able to favour based on seniority when it's trying to keep everyone as close to an average as possible.

Hope this is of some use to you (and anyone else reading)

sky_high_boi
12th May 2008, 10:35
Hi again all,

Just a quick question...Last month I completed a Senior First Aid certificate but VB are also requesting a CPR Certificate..or is this included in it?

Pls help.. thanks,,,

AirborneSoon
12th May 2008, 10:41
As far as I know...Senior First Aid includes CPR, have a look on your cert. It will probably list 2 quals, one is first aid and the other CPR. Mine does.:ok: If you want to be sure contact your certifier and ask them.

ishkaban
12th May 2008, 10:52
Re Brisbane ground schools, I am pretty sure one started today!

Gloria
12th May 2008, 12:39
hey guys, wirgin blew as well mentioned schools for the rest of the year for MEL & SYD. I am on a waitlist for MEL & am curious what is pencilled in for start dates for CC schools. The wait is a real killer!! Any information would be greatly appreciated.

KittyBlue
12th May 2008, 23:47
Penciled in means virtually penciled in. The schools need to give way for crew to do SEP revals and other important things to keep the crew on line.

The schools change on a regular basis, so if your told one from a non training person there is a high likelyhood that has changed already, alot of people have experienced this as i have.

wirgin blew
13th May 2008, 01:50
Group 112 started in SYD yesterday. Group 111 finishes in MEL end of this week.

Goodluck to all those starting, finishing, still waiting.

Flyhigh12
14th May 2008, 13:16
I was wondering how many people make it to stage 2?

futureflier
15th May 2008, 07:20
Went for the VRD early April and managed to get through ref checks however yesterday I received a call saying at the moment everything is put on hold as they have no ground schools as yet.
I asked the recruiter approximately when and she said at this moment its more likely July/August but to not get too excited yet so I guess things are still up in the air! So who knows eh? But the wait is just painful!!... and there I was getting so excited when she said she was calling from Virgin Blue!

Tray Juggler
15th May 2008, 12:58
Thanks dj_candidate!

I like the sound of that bidding system. Particularly the fact that it is more 'points', rather than seniority, based. If people are reasonably flexible, it sounds like it should give everyone some nice control over their rosters.

Speaking to a few ex-Virgin Blue crew who are working at my current airline, it really does sound like a great place to work.

Thanks again. Hope everyone's first month of bidding works out!

Flyhigh12
19th May 2008, 08:29
Hi everyone,
I recently had an interview with Virgin Blue and recieved an email indicating that my application is being progressed past the recruitment day and I will know in two weeks. Does everyone who got to the next stage, the one on one interview recieve this email or do some people recieve rejection letters straight up? Would really appreciate any replies

AirborneSoon
19th May 2008, 09:12
Honestly I do not know the answer to that Flyhigh12. But in any case it really does serve you best to think that at this stage they are genuinely interested in you. And wait for the next email...:ok:

matie14
19th May 2008, 22:28
Flyhigh12, yeah I got that one. I guess it means that yeah they are intrested in you and others, and that once they review everyone fully they will then decide who gets moved through to the next stage, the ref checks. Im sure there were people that got the "thanks but no thanks" letters too. So you should be very happy.

Virgin are GREAT, like really great with keeping you up to date, they say 2 weeks, they mean it it. True to their word!

Hang in there, and congrats again!

Flyhigh12
20th May 2008, 00:07
Thanks heaps for the replies, really appreciate it! bet these will be the slowest two weeks ever!! I guess at least i made it past the first stage which I think is really great!
but hopefully it will be worth the wait in the end!:)

Flyhigh12
21st May 2008, 13:20
I can imagine, Its on my mind 24/7, so trying to keep busy and not think bout it to much, but if I dont get it I will be pretty upset, but I guess i can try for another airline, even though Virgin is really the only one that I think I would most like to work! So when do you start training school? If I get the job, you must let me know how hard it is!

sharz87
24th May 2008, 08:26
hey everyone,
just a quick post to those syd based vb crew.. just wondering how its all going? how is everyone finding the rostering? Are you getting many overnights or are the number overnights expected to increase? and finally do the syd based crew do overnights in melb?!
any comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks :O

Libra89
28th May 2008, 04:47
hi everyone,

just like to let you all know that i got the job! I'm so over the moon as its been my dream since i was young.

Anyone who needs tips or advice dont hesitate to pm me, id be more than happy to help.

im starting training on july 7th -anyone else in the same boat?

I was a bit disappointed to learn that trainees aren't accomodated, as I was told this from another source, but whatever, the job is all that matters!

good luck and all the best guys!

futureflier
28th May 2008, 05:36
Hey Libra89,
Firstly congrats on the job!! You must be so happy!
Can I just ask when was your VRD??

I was on hold but they've called to say they're going to check my refs so it could be moving...slowly!

Anyway, congrats again and enjoy the time!!

Libra89
2nd Jun 2008, 04:37
Hey futureflier,

Just hold on there, everything will work out fine, I'm sure! Just make it to the medical, pass it and basically (although no guarantees) you've got the job.

My VRD was on Wednesday, 2nd April and approximately every two weeks, I was kept in the loop, so they were very good to me as a candidate (imagine as an employee!).

It was the following Monday that i got an email saying I had made it past the VRD and then two days after I got the ref check email.

15 days after on the 24/4, after I emailed them re: my progress, I got a reply the next day re: my application is being processed and what i should do to update them and keep all my details current.

I then didnt hear from them until the 13/5 re: making it to the medical - I first received a phone call and then an email. I went for my medical the following week on the 21/5. I was told that I had passed the medical on the day and that it would be passed on to VB.

I had to let recruitment know that I would be away from the 8/6 and at the time the medical results had not gotten to them; however the day after I was given a ring that the results were in and then offered a job. An email was sent re: all the job offer particulars (training, etc.).

Currently, I am starting training on July 7th and because i will be away on June 26th, which is when Sydney based cc will have their uniform fitting, Im being flown out on Wednesday to Melbourne for my fitting.

So thats what I went through - a very civil, orderly and relatively speedy process.

If there's anything else at all that you need clarifying just let me know!

Take Care and good luck

Melody23
3rd Jun 2008, 14:17
Well mine is a bit slower..It is driving me crazy!!

So I went for my interview on the 22nd April.. Recieved an email a fortnight later informing me I have progressed passed the recruitment day & was told I will get fortnightly updates..

Than 3 wks later I recieved another email informing me to keep all personal details the same.. Updating my information on there database.. And if progressed passed this point I will be notified to come in for Medical..

Just recieved an email on mon notifying me that due to operational recruitment requirements... we are unable to reactivate your application at this stage.... We will continue to email you on a monthly basis to ensure you are kept informed with our latest recruitment needs....

What does that mean? They have not even called up my references?

Gloria
4th Jun 2008, 03:15
Melody, virgin are I would think tightening everything up due to costs!! They don't want too many crew just yet until the VB crew come across for the V Australia start up. Then they will know exactly how many holes to fill in which bases. Just hang in there, I had my VRD in February and only found out officially last week.

Melody23
4th Jun 2008, 04:51
thank you Gloria I totally forgot about V Australia... Its good to be in the loop!!

thanks ;)

Libra89
4th Jun 2008, 05:48
Hey melody23,

You poor thing I feel for you so bad! It must be so frustrating to be so close yet so far! Monthly updates?! Worse than a root canal.....

I just came from uniform fitting and was told by a recruiter that was there that of the 30 that progressed to the next round on the recruitment day alone, only 6 actually got the job. So, just hold on everyone and if you get it you get it, if you don't well that only means you try harder!

Melody23 you definitely have to try for Qantas MAM who are in Sydney next week, at least you'd be giving both a shot whilst waiting - why wait for nothing?

Please PM and I'll give you a bit more insight for the interview and whatnot - here's the link: mybookingmanager.com/mam

Good luck and all the best!!!

Melody23
4th Jun 2008, 07:01
Hey Libra

Just wondering these 30 people obviously stayed the whole day???
So meaning.. Passed the 2 grp scenario's.. the test.. the roleplay... the one on one...

and than got an email saying the application has progressed and so far successful...

Because I 'know for a fact' that u can stay the whole day and still recieve a:

"sorry u have not been successful letter"
-the 30 peeps prob got this!!!!

next month Ill have some news k:)

AirborneSoon
4th Jun 2008, 07:09
Melody23, your VRD was only 5 weeks ago so I wouldn't give up hope yet or read anything into your situation. Most people take 8-12 weeks to go through the whole process so it's early days yet. And as Gloria said I'm guessing current circumstances will be having an effect.

Chin up and yes definately put a few more irons in the fire. You never know what the answer will be until you get the call. So can't hurt to have options.

Melody23
4th Jun 2008, 08:36
thanks airborne! I will stay positive and stop stressin haha

AirborneSoon
4th Jun 2008, 12:18
The best thing I ever did for myself during the recruitment process was just assume it's in the bag. If not with this airline then another. I then relaxed and forgot about things until I got those nailbiting emails...:}

It helped enormously because no matter what happened everything was just fine and proceeding the way it should. I could get on with my life until such time as I was told it was going to change..:E

Don't doubt yourself, getting the progression email is confirmation enough that based on what they've seen, you've got the right stuff. What's the worst that could happen? You'd be confident that you're going to get a job and then they say no. I promise you, it's not any easier to take if you are doubting yourself along the way.

Libra89
5th Jun 2008, 02:54
Wonderfuly put Airborne! Some very nice advice.

The same sort of philosophy got me through QCCA's process and the day I got rejected and I didn't sleep till I had applied for every other airline I could think of. Then when I was going through the process I kept giving myself options so life would turn out great anyway and I would eventually get in somewhere!

But Melody, I'm not sure when the people got rejected but they do say that any stage of the recruitment process you can be unsuccesful - obviously the culling would be at the earlier stages (I don't think they would get you to go to a medical if they weren't keen on you). And Airborne is right, you def do have the right stuff and it's just bad luck and nothing more that recruitment's slowing down but I don't see why they wouldn't hire you - you've worked for Etihad and lived overseas (a big plus in itself!).

A girl who made it to the end of recruitment day was very confident, well-presented and knowledgable, had already worked for VB as ground crew and worked 4 years with Qatar Airways in Doha; So VB must like applicants like you guys, even more so because when they V Australia were recruiting, they started first in Dubai to try and get Emirates CC, ex and current, to sign up.

In the end though, whatever is meant to be will be, sometimes it's just the luck of the draw or that you were or weren't right for the company at that particular moment in time. Speaking with those who've worked in HR in Airline companies - never take rejections from the airlines as personal, just move on. If you want the job bad enough you will persist and eventually get in- without fail (unless, unfortunately if one's too tall or short or has some medical condition, which some, i guess, can work around).

My prayers are with all you wannabes and I hope you realise your dreams - I know exactly how it can be....

Melody23
5th Jun 2008, 10:48
:ok:Hey Airborne how u doing..

I recieved a call from Virgin Blue today.. Informing me that Congratulations.. And that I am on the waitlist for the next training school YAY I am so excited I am feeling so much better hey!!

I wonder when the next training school is open??
thank you for being there everyone...:)

AirborneSoon
5th Jun 2008, 10:59
Hey Melody,

That's fantastic! I know how great it is to get that call and the absolute agony you go through until you hear those magic words. :ok: Let us know when you get your GS date.

Congrats again, we'll see you online.:D

Melody23
11th Jun 2008, 05:33
Sure will Airborne!!! Im so Excited!!!

;)

So is anyone on the waitlist for Training with VB???

For Brisbane????

I Just Want To Fly
11th Jun 2008, 21:26
Virgin is very clear about what they are looking for in the answer. EG "How did it make you feel". They explain it on the application form at the top! Read the questions instructions, then answer the questions and make sure you cover each point that they are looking for.

Make sure your grammar and spelling is correct, and don't waffle on. If you do all of this, you will definately get through to interview! Good Luck!

Flyhigh12
12th Jun 2008, 00:43
hi all, i was wondering if someone could help me! I have had my references checked three weeks ago and still nothing is this normal:confused:? If you make it to the medical do the call you or email you about it? thanks!

Air Freight
12th Jun 2008, 02:44
Flyhigh12 Im in the same boat..... References checked 3 weeks ago and then nothing, Was starting to think maybe my references weren't so good???

dj_candidate
12th Jun 2008, 22:25
Hi Searly

All Available days are automatically nominated when the rosters are published. You can de-nominate an up to 72 hours before it starts. (Be aware that de-nominatind DOES NOT mean you won't necessarily be called out)

Available spans run for 11 hours normally.

If your available span starts from 0400 you shouldn't recieve a call before then - you will then have a minimum of 2 hours before your signon (unless you are called and answer your phone the night before, in which case you can be asked to signon at 0400)

If I'm reading between the lines correctly you're asking these questions because of of transport restrictions - if you're in BNE during summer then signons start at 0355!

Hope this helps :ok:

Polynesianguy
13th Jun 2008, 01:46
Hi,

I've got a worrying query - I've got an interview with Pac Blue next week which is great and looking forward to it however one of their requirements is that I have a NZ Passport with at least 12 months validity on it - I have a NZ Passport but expires in Feb 2009. Does anyone know if this is a strict requirement on the day because if I renew this it will cost me $300 NZD to apply for an urgent application to be processed before the day. Am I able to just show my current one as there is nothing wrong with it other than the 12 month validity and I can still renew this if need be - just dont want to be forking out money knowing that I could have just used my current one for day - Sorry just a bit worried as I dont want to be turned away on the day just because of this.

Thanks!

AirborneSoon
13th Jun 2008, 07:58
Yes it's very normal to wait several weeks after reference checks before a medical. Another reason for a delay may be that they have had trouble contacting one reference. Please be patient because VB are fantastic about keeping you in the loop. As soon as they have news to tell you they will contact you. They move very fast once they have the go ahead.

There may simply be admin issues that they are resolving behind the scenes and I imagine it's not easy to co-ordinate the recruitment and training of several hundred crew.

Air Freight
13th Jun 2008, 13:30
Thanks Airborne soon.... keeping the hope alive!:ok:

Flyhigh12
15th Jun 2008, 09:15
Thank u! I had both checked on the same day, but ver true I know there would be so many people who need to be checked! hopefully it wont be to long, least I know now someone else is in the same boat!

chicken or fish 2
17th Jun 2008, 23:15
Has anyone from Virgin Blue been offered a cabin crew position with VAustralia yet?

Does anyone have information on Ground School dates for VAustralia?

Does anyone from Virgin Blue have any NEW information about VAustralia?

I've had my refernces checked for VAustralia and I'm now waiting for the next stage.....fingers crossed!!!

wirgin blew
18th Jun 2008, 07:25
V Australia gossip very quiet. They might have been doing some internal interviews today but not 100%.
Whoever is in charge of the V Australia circus is doing a good job at keeping things quiet.

New group started in MEL, another scheduled for SYD, not sure about BNE.

Good luck all.

chicken or fish 2
19th Jun 2008, 01:00
Thanks Wirgin Blew....Do you know if anyone from Virgin Blue (internals) have been offered cabin crew positions for V yet?

jet fly
21st Jun 2008, 12:20
Hello All
I have been invited to VB open day in July ? any one know what happens during the day ?
I heard they send ppl home before lunch ? if they dont like is that true ? any tips ? how long it takes to know the result ?:ok:

Flyhigh12
21st Jun 2008, 13:28
jet fly, the recruitment day goes for about an hour and a bit in the first stage cant remember exactly learn about the company and do 2 group activities, then you have a break and they give you a letter after the break whether or not you have progressed to the next stage if so you are kept after. only tip is be yourself, its a fun day and you meet so many nice people and the recruiters are really nice as well! let us know how you go, goodluck!

jet fly
22nd Jun 2008, 07:22
Flyhigh12 thanks very much....i will be going 2nd July so ;et you know after.. By the way are you currently working for Virginblue then...

ek412syd
22nd Jun 2008, 09:19
Good luck with the interview jet fly! just wondering, is there anybody here planning to join the Sydney VB? and does anybody know whether VB has a contract or some terms or conditions for internal transfers or when can you applying other airlines while working for VB? if anybody is already working for VB I really appreciate to gain some info from you. Thanks! And for those who is interested to gain info for EK just let me know. I know that in the middle east there's some agreement between the airlines here, e.g : EK don't take EY people