View Full Version : Air Japan (AJX) B767

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

The Dominican
4th Dec 2008, 07:28
Since when did it become a right to wear black trousers and the white pilot shirt minus the epaulets? Thats retarded. Its all about blending in and not drawing attention to yourself. This is what everyone wears in the training center, regardless of experience or phase in training. However during phase checks and the JCAB rides the attire is more formal, ie jacket.

Esprit

Easy tiger, we are just telling you our experience and the experience that was pass along to us from the classes before us, retarded is to make assumptions around here. He is just trying to explain the cultural implications to you guys because all you are right now is a cap/f/o candidate and a candidate wearing a pilots uniform is standing out (specially non company issued)You want to use your old company pilots uniform., knock yourself out

esprit
4th Dec 2008, 14:26
I guess our Japanese Instructor was wrong then to tell us that it was proper to wear the pilot uniform (minus the epaulets) with dark pants and tie. We were told this day 1. I'll be sure to tell all of the 20+ year Aloha veterans that they are merely candidates, not pilots and need to earn the right to wear that white pilot shirt with no epaulets. I guess ANA made a mistake on our ID's by putting pilot and not candidate on them. Whats retarded is that you think anyone around here can tell the difference between a company issued shirt versus one from anywhere else.

Esprit

further proof from an email...

Man those guys are getting snappy. I thought you
gave good advice. EVERYONE wears pilot shirts and slacks. Anyway, if not, it was still pretty funny to read.

Take care,

Scott

The Dominican
4th Dec 2008, 15:51
"I guess our Japanese Instructor was wrong then to tell us that it was proper to wear the pilot uniform (minus the epaulets) with dark pants and tie. We were told this day 1."

Make sure that you don't ask questions from your instructors in front of the group, and the translators in the training center are a good source of cultural information.

"I'll be sure to tell all of the 20+ year Aloha veterans that they are merely candidates, not pilots and need to earn the right to wear that white pilot shirt with no epaulets."

Experienced pilots understand that when you change from one job to another and from one A/C to another you start at the bottom, I'm sure that they are comfortable with their current status as any experienced pilot would be. Until you all pass your training your current status is that of a candidate

"I guess ANA made a mistake on our ID's by putting pilot and not candidate on them. Whats retarded is that you think anyone around here can tell the difference between a company issued shirt versus one from anywhere else."

That is a perfect example as to why presumptions turnout to be wrong when you don't understand the culture

I wish you and all other candidates good luck in training, we look forward to see you out on the line:ok:

gtseraf
4th Dec 2008, 23:06
Esprit

Take a look at the Dominican's tone. He's trying to tell you something.

The Japanese don't take well to the Bull in a China shop approach. Ask a lot of the guys who've been shown the door (permanently) during the training.

Take it easy, don't let your feather's get ruffled by an perceived slights on your ability, experience or qualifications.

This is Japan, things are done differently, and it's their trainset. Fight them and it will be very difficult for you. Bend with the wind, adapt to the system and it will prove to be a lot easier and more pleasant. Especially true for those FO candidates, who hope to get through and eventually get the upgrade. I know, been there done that. Have the scars on my forehead from bashing my head against the brick wall.

This is meant as positive info, not criticism.

Good luck to all the pilots under training now.

esprit
5th Dec 2008, 03:42
Don't presume that I am unfamiliar with Japanese Culture and nuances. I lived here long before coming to work here. And don't presume that my persona on this website is the same elsewhere. My advice is not misinformation. We were told in class on day 1, by a Japanese Instructor that this was proper attire. The only reason I come to this website is to help fellow pilots, period. Not to debate dress etiquette. If you think my advice sucks or is incorrect, then fine. I could care less. I guess I learned a valuable lesson today on trying to help people on this website.

Take care.

hsk2009
10th Dec 2008, 22:59
Recently I submitted cover letter ana application form .

It has passed almost one month.

Are there many appicant for AJX 767 captain ?

What are they doning now in Honolulu ?

oldhasbeen
10th Dec 2008, 23:15
Your kidding....right?:D:D

cactusbusdrvr
11th Dec 2008, 06:15
I received an e-mail from Parc today stating that AJV have stopped hiring DECs on the 767. Anyone on the inside know anything further? I applied through Crew as well a couple of weeks ago and have yet to hear from them. I should be qualified - over 21000 hrs tt and 3300 pic on the 757.

esprit
11th Dec 2008, 07:00
I could ask one of the recruiters tonite, however the last time I posted the information I was run out of town and was told that my "bull in the china shop" attitude would get me in trouble here. Its my nature to help others so I will check into it for you.

Esprit

WYOMINGPILOT
11th Dec 2008, 07:17
I received an e-mail from Parc today stating that AJV have stopped hiring DECs on the 767. Anyone on the inside know anything further? I applied through Crew as well a couple of weeks ago and have yet to hear from them. I should be qualified - over 21000 hrs tt and 3300 pic on the 757

I'm not on the inside and I'm also very interested about this. Could it be they are talking about no DECs to AJX? I know AJV is the only branch of ANA that was hiring DECs but maybe they have too many qualified FOs now which they can upgrade and no need of DECs now. I believe this is what happened eventually at AJX and there was no longer a need so they only hire FOs now at AJX.

Fratemate
11th Dec 2008, 08:03
I certainly don't KNOW but it wouldn't surprise me if it is true. AJV is very captain-heavy, with most flights being flown with two captains, swapping seats for each leg. Add in the fact that there are a couple of FOs who are now due for their upgrade and it doesn't take Einstein to work out that it may be time for the Company to review in which seat they want to put their applicants. It's certainly an employer's market at the moment as I can't think of too many airlines who are taking on pilots, let alone taking on DECs. It's not all bad though; AJV is still probably one of the quickest promotions from the right to the left seat, so even joining as an FO (and having a job in today's market) is not going to be the end of the world forever......and you'll get really good at working the radio ;)

Can't speak for AJX but haven't heard of any DECs recently but that's probably just me being dull and not listening out :)

cactusbusdrvr
11th Dec 2008, 13:46
It did not take very long for Parc to get back to me and that is nice to see.

AJV are indeed still hiring DECs. I received an e-mail yesterday with the T&Cs for both seats and then this morning I got another one stating that they would be hiring a few more captains. Now I just have to fill out the mountain of paperwork!

atldrvr
11th Dec 2008, 16:23
I interviewed the middle of October and was given the job offer pending my medical results. I had to do a medical recheck and my doctor said the results were ok. The ANA doctor has had the results now for 3 weeks and I have not heard anything. I also have already completed the phone call with the psychiatrist.

Several questions for you guys on the contract. If the ANA doctor did not like the results of the recheck, do you think I would have heard something by now?

Do you know if the January class has been filled?

I know the process is long but the wait is killing me.

Iflyfr8
11th Dec 2008, 17:56
I interviewed in mid September. I then did the medical here in the US around Oct.1. Last I heard, as of 2 weeks ago, the ANA doctor hasn't even looked at my results yet.

esprit
12th Dec 2008, 01:09
I talked to my friend who is a recruiter and he stated that a.)The January class is full, they are now filling the next class b.) They will continue hiring for both seats.

Take this information for what its worth.

Esprit

heavydane
12th Dec 2008, 06:36
Hi,

From what I know, the JCAB medical board only meet once a month to review medicals. Probably the reason for the delay.

Regards

Heavydane

cactusbusdrvr
13th Dec 2008, 05:08
Thanks for the information, folks.

The Dominican
15th Dec 2008, 00:18
There is a rumor floating around that they will stop hiring DEC's for AJV as well (they stopped hiring DEC's at AJX about a year ago) but so far they haven't pulled the plug. If you look at the effects of the economical downturn it only makes sense, right now AJV is pretty fat on captains and the loads have shrink down to half the loads that they were carrying just a couple of months ago, both FDX and UPS have canceled some slots in NRT and AJV picked up some of those slots and the guys have increased to about 45 hours a month but not as much freight as before (captains being paired together about half of the time) The slow down of deliveries and the problems with the 787 has left ANA with a lot of cash at hand from the sales of their hotels and that gives them a good cushion to wait out the world recession, they are betting that it would not last very long so they are continuing with their expansion plans to be ready for the increased flying from the expansion of HND and NRT. They are still receiving new 767's (both cargo and passengers) and the hiring of F/O's will continue for both AJV and AJX, the consensus among the line pilots is that they will stop the DEC hiring for a while because the economical downturn but they haven't yet.

jrwhitehat
17th Dec 2008, 22:04
There is no official word regarding this news. AJV still accepting DEC apps.:cool:

B757CAPT
18th Dec 2008, 19:18
Can someone tell me what the quality of the Hotels for the layovers is?

captplaystation
18th Dec 2008, 19:31
Great to see a man that won't let his standards slip.
Half the world and his dog are either unemployed or worried about same, he is taking care of the hotac standards.
Nice one dude :D:rolleyes:

The Dominican
18th Dec 2008, 20:52
Can someone tell me what the quality of the Hotels for the layovers is?

It's ANA, not MESA:hmm:

esprit
18th Dec 2008, 22:00
B757CAPT, seems as if people would rather slam eachother rather than help eachother out on this website. I thought thats what Flightinfo was for. To answer your question, Hiltons and similar properties.

Esprit

B757CAPT
19th Dec 2008, 00:22
Thanks Esprit. Just asking. Simple question=simple answer.

esprit
19th Dec 2008, 12:05
No problem. Its much more satisfying to help out a fellow pilot who may be out of work , rather than to make fun of his commuter airline status (seems some have forgotten where they started out) or his priorities. It seems the intent of this website has been lost on some people.

Esprit

meguro
19th Dec 2008, 18:51
Just as an observation, it seems a little petty to be getting over excited about whether an individual has earned the right to wear, whatever? And someone's worrying about the hotels.
I draw your attention to the big picture, you have to pass the JCAB check.
There are two area's that need re-focusing; How to pass the interview and how to pass the CAB check rides. Then you can rent your own room and if you want to dress like Nero, be our guest.

Gambate.

esprit
19th Dec 2008, 22:45
Why do you care what type of questions people are asking? You can ascertain that a guy isn't focused on the JCAB checkride just because he asks a question about hotels? Or the individual who wants to know what to wear to class? Now you've created an environment where people are afraid to ask something for fear of getting jumped on. You always have the choice of skipping over these posts if it bothers you.

Esprit

The Dominican
20th Dec 2008, 00:46
If you notice there are 27 pages on this thread of people asking questions and this pilot group responding to them, but frankly the quality of the hotels? please. The environment that this pilot group has created on the line is a pretty relaxed one because we don't come at each other with a "holier than thaw" attitude and that is what you project and for somebody that is still 4 or 5 months from even being on the line you sure are creating a name for yourself. JB told us during breakfast a couple of days ago that we should give you the benefit of the doubt and that you are actually a nice guy, you also posted that the attitude you display here is not how you actually are in person, I want to believe that because I have a lot of respect for JB I think he is an outstanding guy so there has to be more to you. You should concentrate a little more in actually making it to the line and a little less on telling us what a horrible and inhospitable this pilot group you are yet to join is

captseth
20th Dec 2008, 02:11
Hey, Esprit is really a nice guy. He's only abrasive when he doesn't shave - then he makes my thighs all itchy.

But I digress...

meguro
20th Dec 2008, 02:16
Here, here Dominican! It's a great working environment and everyone's pretty cool. All the guys come with substantial experience and it's not a pi..ing contest. The environment is not plagued by seniority, it's quite a nice bunch of guys that are just focused on getting the job done and getting home.

If Esprit is here, why don't you take a long read of the red book.

esprit
20th Dec 2008, 02:27
Don't make something there that's not there. Never in any of my posts did I insinuate or imply that this was a inhospitable pilot group. (I have found just the opposite. Having seen what it takes first-hand to make it online, I have tremendous respect for the pilots here and our Japanese Instructors) I have no idea who the posters here work for, so how can I make such an accusation towards a certain pilot group? Please tell me where I said this. I just don't see any point in, for lack of a better word, condemning someone who asks a question. It doesn't exactly foster comraderie. Unless I'm wrong, I thought the purpose of this forum was to help fellow aviators. So if you mean by making a name for myself, people online know that I enjoy helping others, then great. Thats who I am. To come to some other conclusion is wrong. So for all of my detractors, here is a sample of pms that I have received:

Yeah, some people just don't get it, thanks again!
Name withheld

This one from an AJX pilot;

Man those guys are getting snappy. I thought you
gave good advice. EVERYONE wears pilot shirts and slacks. Anyway, if not, it was still pretty funny to read.

Take care,
Name withheld

You should concentrate a little more in actually making it to the line....

And you came to this conclusion how exactly? Because I've spent 15 minutes of the past 4 months on this website? Don't bother responding, I won't be coming back to this website again. I've had my fill. I wish you luck in your flying career.

Esprit

esprit
20th Dec 2008, 02:30
Thanks Seth.

Ok now this is my last post, I promise.

Esprit

meguro
20th Dec 2008, 02:38
I found 'Company Minima' the most interesting in the red book.

Bye and thanks or all the fish :ok:

577728d980b64153e187
20th Dec 2008, 23:28
Bye and thanks or all the fish http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

English?

Freddy

E165
21st Dec 2008, 11:06
Good grief, this thread sounds like a bunch of high school girls arguing. Okay, the hotels are fine - we only have 3 layovers at present though, maybe a couple more next year. As for your dress attire during training, the Japanese really don't care what you wear - really. The contract companies and other guys hype it up for no reason. Just don't dress like young, punk-ass kids nowadays with earphones stuck in the ears. Casual business attire is fine during training (just make sure you wear a tie during sim and checkrides). All I wore even for my checkrides was my old uniform shirt with a tie and pants, no jacket, and they still passed me. And it was middle of winter! Don't crack Japanese (or Asian for that matter) jokes when you're around others. Be courteous to everyone and don't be too loud. The training's very long, but not hard - remember, you're only learning another airplane (the 767s at ANA still only have a pair of wings, engines, elevators, and a rudder with a 80's technology semi-glass CRT cockpit). But what's hard is the cultural aspect. Unless you're familiar with the Japanese culture, it will be a struggle for some, but not all.

So come on out to Japan. Majority of the girls are somewhat hot and the sakes are great. The pilots here are a great bunch too. Pass the interview and training and this gig will probably be the easiest and laid-back airline job you've ever had. (Except for one thing: you'll be working at the other side of the world)

Okay, maybe I've had one too many for the night. But hey...

Cheers!! And fly safe.

B757CAPT
22nd Dec 2008, 00:08
Thanks man! This is one of the best post I read so far.
Looking forward to fly with you guys.

atldrvr
22nd Dec 2008, 00:31
Does anyone know when the next overall evaluation is to take place? My contact at PARC said it was soon but did not have an exact date.

577728d980b64153e187
22nd Dec 2008, 08:16
I heard the same thing from my recruiter (IAC). Think I'm being considered for a March class. Getting information from those guys is like pulling teeth.

Although after seeing how you hounded one of your own guys I'm having 2nd thoughts about making the jump. With my background in cargo, I'm leaning towards AJV. How are the guys (bosses, checkpilots, fo's) to work with? Can I change my mind even though I told them cargo in the interview?

Freddy

oldhasbeen
23rd Dec 2008, 01:32
Well for starters, if you're thinking of DEC forget AJX. At the moment, it ain't happenin'

skmarz
23rd Dec 2008, 03:25
Out of curiosity, has anyone who has interviewed recently been officially offered a March class date yet? I'm in touch with a few folks who interviewed in the past 6 to 8 weeks, all of us have completed the process but haven't heard anything one way or another.

Not checking my e-mails every five minutes or so, yeah right.

MachDaddy
23rd Dec 2008, 19:02
I interviewed last June and successfully completed the screening (inteview+sim+medical). I was told to standby for a future course date. I waited for about 4 months and heard nothing. So, I called and asked about my application and was later told that upon further review of my medical exam results, I was no longer being considered for the position. I was ok with it but I just didn't like the way they kept me in the dark. If I were you, I'd go and get on the horn if you were told to expect a class in March. BTW, I interviewed for FO with PARC.

ranklein
24th Dec 2008, 15:40
Hey MachDaddy,

sorry to hear that. Did you call the contract agency to find out or was it directly to Japan? Which agency was it that kept you in the dark like that?
I applied with PARC. Still waiting to get a confirm for my application.

Finally, would anyone recomment applying with both PARC/ CREW and take the first one who can offer an interview? Makes sense?

Merry X-Mas!

reject2121
24th Dec 2008, 17:24
I went through Crew for my interview and so far they have been very easy to work with while I wait for class. One of my good friends applied through both PARC and Crew and ironically after a couple of weeks was called for an interview by both companies within 3 hours of each other. Since PARC called first he had already accepted an interview date by the time Crew contacted him. This seemed to be of no big deal as he got hired and is in the January class.

ranklein
24th Dec 2008, 17:44
Sounds like both agencies are getting the same slots then.
Are these ongoing interview dates or rather a session of interviews every now and then ? Meaning, how much time for preparation can one expect?

reject2121
24th Dec 2008, 17:54
Well I don't know if there is a solid answer to that question. I had almost a month between notification and when I actually flew over to Japan for the screening. I know one fellow who only had one week.

I know that they only interview two candidates per day but I am not sure how many days a month they conduct screenings.

FLYJET123
27th Dec 2008, 20:01
Does anyone know if they prefer the candidate to be single, is being married with a family a disadvantage at the interview?

Also thinking of moving nearer to Japan, maybe North Australia or Phillipines, would they prefer that?

Which is the best one to go for Passenger or freight?

Any advice appreciated as just about to send application in.

Any do's and don'ts re autobiogaphical section?

Martin VanNostrum
27th Dec 2008, 21:36
I've been there awhile and flown for both passenger side (AJX) and freight side (AJV). Much of a muchness. AJX get 10 days off in a row per month while AJV get 11. Can add 2 days annual leave to each month also. If coming as a co-pilot you will get your command at about the same time whether AJX or AJV (between 3-4 years from start of initial course). AJX guys spend more time in and out of Narita and Haneda (both Tokyo airports) while AJV guys go in and out of Narita and Kansai (Osaka) and next year (I think) Naha. Haneda will also come on line as a freight stop when the new runway is complete. Flying for both will be within the Pacific, and north and south asia. AJV is supposed to offload the USA (Anchorage/Chicago) flying in April to another carrier; however nothing official announced yet. If it does it will expand its Asia flying instead.

Several pilots commute to UK/Europe/USA. Takes a little longer naturally. Some pilots live in Thailand/Singapore/Bali with a shorter commute home. Some pilots are single and some have families.

Good contract, good working conditions, nice aircraft, good check and training, very very long training, no prisoners taken during ground school and sim training (either 'do it our way' or out). Once through very enjoyable with occasional periods of dispair.

The Dominican
29th Dec 2008, 15:19
Some intel for those waiting to hear from a pilot that applied at the beginning of October and interviewed a month and change later (beginning of November) medical was done in Tokyo and he had to re do some portion of the medical test (not uncommon) the job offer took about a month and a half and he was offered a spot on the March class, he got the impression from the recruiter that there are still some slots open for the March class.

My wish is that you all get the gig for the new year

Good luck:ok:

Iflyfr8
8th Jan 2009, 01:31
For what it is worth to everyone that is waiting to hear something.... I interviewed in September and passed. I then did the medical in the US at the beginning of October. I received an email today stating that my overall screening was unsuccessful. I can only assume that I was unsucessful due to some medical reason as I was told I passed the interview and sim. I am in fairly descent medical condition (not overweight or high blood pressure or anything that I am aware of).

It would have been nice to find out if I am going to drop dead from some unknown medical condition. Or quite possibly, I passed the Sim/interview but didn't score high enough to compete with the recent applicants.

Good luck to all that made it.

atldrvr
8th Jan 2009, 14:26
Iflyfr8,
Sorry you did not get the offer. I also have been waiting a while to hear some news. Did you use PARC?

The Dominican
8th Jan 2009, 17:02
I interviewed in September and passed. I then did the medical in the US at the beginning of October. I received an email today stating that my overall screening was unsuccessful.

Sorry to hear that, you are not alone though I have heard from a few guys that have passed both the interview and medical just to get an e-mail "thanks for playing" they are interviewing quite a bit of guys but the offers are just a handful at a time:ugh: all I can say is keep the faith brothers

4star
12th Jan 2009, 08:27
I am one of those who have passed screening/medical and am waiting to hear. It does strike me that they are a funny lot and perhaps not the easiest of paymasters.

skmarz
12th Jan 2009, 12:30
FWIW. I interviewed in early November for an FO spot. In early January, I received the official offer for a mid March class. When I got the contract, it was dated 2.5 weeks earlier and apparently I had not been notified when the offer had been made. Not sure who dropped the ball, but I was glad to get offer, all the same.

GlueBall
13th Jan 2009, 08:09
It would have been nice to find out if I am going to drop dead from some unknown medical condition.

Assuredly, even in Japan the medical doctor must have some sort of fiduciary responsibility to advise you of any serious medical condition. :rolleyes:

meguro
13th Jan 2009, 10:55
Just for information, the recurrent medicals have been transfered to Osaka because the Doctor in Narita died! RIP ....I guess.

crj705
14th Jan 2009, 08:43
I had mine last week in downtown Tokyo. It was more extensive than my medical to get hired. If they are sending people to KIX, that is good news.

707Lover
15th Jan 2009, 03:39
Hello,
I'm in the same situation,sent my application form to CREW(for Captain non-rated ) on the 21st December,then had a reply 2 days later to send them more details ,which I did on the 24th.Since that day no reply either:confused:
Is it just a coincidence because of the christmas, new year holidays etc ???
Does anybody have more information?
Belated Happy New Year to all:ok:

oldhasbeen
15th Jan 2009, 12:21
maybe recruitment for AJV has ceased for time being. :uhoh:

The Dominican
15th Jan 2009, 13:30
maybe recruitment for AJV has ceased for time being. http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/worry.gif

Hey Oldhasbeen, how are ya? There was a lot of talk at the end of the year about stopping the DEC hiring for AJV like they did for AJX a while back but are you saying they will stop all hiring for a while? I haven't heard that.

BTW: for those of you that haven't done the medical in downtown yet, dress yourself with a lot of patience. I really hope they get a doctor certified in the Narita clinic again soon

767Archangel
22nd Jan 2009, 12:54
Hi All,

New to the forum. Thanks for all the great gouge. Just some info for those who are asking about recruiting/notification. I applied with Parc last week. After confirming with me that all my paperwork was in order, they submitted said paperwork to AJV. The next day Parc let me know that I could expect screening and wished me good luck. The day after that a screening date was set up for me in February. I was then e-mailed all the screening info with sim profile. Much quicker than I ever expected. Parc was fantastic with me.

Best to everyone.

Crandal
24th Jan 2009, 20:04
I understand that in ANA they don't care which type you have on license as long as is ME Jet Commercial Rating, however I was wondering what do you guys think if you have to invest your own money would you buy B737 or B757. I don't have any time in 737, but have about 700+ in 757? Also, I guess some people pass interview, medical and sim, and it looks like they still didn't get the job, do you guys think it is too much risk to invest your own money for type rating without even securing the interview:ugh:.
Thx for advice.

CaptainProp
25th Jan 2009, 08:56
So your question is if one should invest in a 737 or 757 rating? At the same time you say you have 700 hrs on the 757? You also, rightly, state that ANA does not care on which type you have ME jet time on.....but still considering buying a type rating....:confused:

CP

galdian
25th Jan 2009, 11:01
Crandal

Have to agree with CaptProp, not sure what you're on about.

Insiders may have more info BUT if your 757 time will get you the interview why are you talking about paying for ratings??

(Having said that it is possible the 757 is a problem for Japan as they have never seen the beast operating within their fair shores therefore maybe it does not exist - "yes it carries lots of people but only single aisle...but like a 767..but a 767 has two aisles...so it's a 767 .....well, no, but.....almost maybe a 767!
Ahhhh sooo - wakarie ma****e (I understand - but do they??)

If you get the interview ... and finally get the gig ... rest assured they will train you to fly a 767 their way - or the highway - so why waste your money??

Any corrections to the above from insiders more than welcome.

cheers
galdian

The Dominican
25th Jan 2009, 15:40
Crandal

Having a type for the 75/76 will not give you any advantage towards obtaining an interview with ANA and it wouldn't help you with any of the 76 contracts out there because you don't have the 500 pic. If you absolutely have to spend money on a type, your best bet would be on a 737 or even better a 777 type

Crandal
25th Jan 2009, 16:39
To apply for ANA, I need a commercial jet type rating on any airplane. I was trying to see what would work better in my case because I don't have a type rating on any Jet Airplane. I would apply for FO position, and with so many people applying, I was wondering would I have a better chance to get the interview with 757 type,because I already have some time on it,or I should go for 737 eventhough I have never flown airplane before.
Thanks for all of the replys, I hope I don't sound too confusing:rolleyes:, just trying too get the most for the money that I will spend on the type rating. The price for the 737 or 757 should be the same because they will give me the short course on 757.:ugh:

Again, thanks a lot for all of you replying to my questions.

Crandal

Fratemate
26th Jan 2009, 03:35
Crandal,

I have to admit to being a bit confused. How can you have 700 hours on the B757 and no type rating? Once we clear that question up then other stuff might start to fall into place. I'm sure you'll be able to convince us that no creative accounting has gone on.

As Dominican says, having a B757/B767 type rating is not a necessity but, if I were interviewing for AJV/AJX and I had two guys who passed all the requirements but I only had one slot for them, then I'd probably go for the B757 rated guy. At the end of the day, if you've got the type on your licence (B757 or B757/B767) then you do the shorter course, the Company gets you on line and working for them quicker and they spend less on the process. Not forgetting, of course, that the B757 is SO much nicer to fly than the B737 :)

Before you spend any of your money, however, I would strongly recommend you talk to one of the agencies that deals with AJV/AJX and see what their take is on the matter. At the moment there are lots of very qualified pilots applying. We all know why but the crux of the matter is the airline can afford to be more chosey than they might have been in the past. You might have a B757 type rating and 700(?) hours on the jet but there are plenty of American pilots and others, who might not have a B757 rating but have a shed load of B737 hours etc and have been flying the line i.e. they haven't just got a bare-bones rating from a sim school. Better to find out that you won't get a job with the bare minimums BEFORE you waste your $$$$s.

crj705
26th Jan 2009, 03:42
Lot's of airlines in the US do not give type ratings to FOs. Even if they do, most airlines give them an type rating that is limited to Second in Command only. There are only one or 2 airlines that give the full type to their FOs. I imagine this is his situation.

mugsie
26th Jan 2009, 04:42
domestic flying.

Fratemate
26th Jan 2009, 05:25
Well, how about that, I learn something new every day. There's me thinking you had to have the type rating before you could operate the type commercially as an FO or a Capt......I'm not a Sherman, so don't know Sherman regulations (well, not all of them :)) I knew that some countries have command ratings and non-command ratings but I thought you had to get A rating before you carried pax/boxes around. As for domestic or international, well that's just getting silly :hmm:

So, to Crandal's original question. Well, now that's a LOT easier: 757 type rating! If it's going to cost the same, you've got 700 hours on the machine and it's going to mean a shorter course for you and less cost for the company, I would think that's a no-brainer.

I stand by my suggestion that you speak to one of the agencies first though. 5000 hours B737 would, I think, trump a 757 rating + 700 hours and the agencies will have a better idea of the competition you're up against and give you a clue whether to spend your $$$s or not.

ranklein
26th Jan 2009, 06:55
guys,

Might have missed it in previous posts...
How long before you actually get on the airplane for line training?
I know total process takes about 6-7 months.

Thanks!

NightSun
26th Jan 2009, 08:28
Hi guys,
I've just spent four hours trawling through all 29 pages of this thread, and can't find much specific information on the current technical side of the interview.

A few posters from last year say that this part now lasts about 15 mins, with some emphasis on turbulence, de icing procedures, Jepp charts, ICAO holding speeds, and airspace classification.

Any offers of information? I promise to give an update when I get back from Tokyo in two weeks.

Fratemate
26th Jan 2009, 16:33
Ranklein,

Including days off, it took me 116 days to get from Orientation to first flight in an aircraft. This included all the normal stuff you'd expect to get before flying, grounschool, SEP, CRM, dangerous goods, sims etc etc. So, basically 4 months.

If you're not type-rated, add another month to this to take care of the extra systems groundschool and type rating simulators.

It's a BLOODY long time but, at the end of the day, you'll fly with a great bunch of blokes and the Company (as far as we're concerned) is run by a bonza bunch, including our very own Fujita San, a Boss everybody can love :)

The Dominican
26th Jan 2009, 23:39
That is a true statement, Fijita-san is just a great guy isn't he? On the AJX side they are also pretty easy to get along with and I find them very accommodating with schedules and personal requests as long as you don't make them at the last minute. One thing that I like here is the camaraderie within the pilot group and it is really across the divide between AJV/AJX I hang out with AJV guys quite a bit and it was very funny recently when an AJV guys asked when we where going to fly together? I just laughed and told him that it would help if worked for the same company, we all had a good laugh about it. The training is definitely long and is mostly an exercise on patience, but at the end is all worth it in my opinion

Hey Nightsun, checkout this interview that was posted on "willflyforfood" it has some recent interview experience, let me know if the link doesn't work for you and I'll post the whole thing
good luck

Will Fly For Food - Professional Pilot Jobs, Interviews, Pay Rates, Forums and more!!! (http://www.willflyforfood.com/pilot_interviews/viewAirline.php?ID=224)

oldhasbeen
27th Jan 2009, 04:38
Hanging out with AJV guys alot............. that explains alot!!:eek:

Poita
31st Jan 2009, 02:17
Hi all I have read all the info in this thread and it all good stuff. I would like to ask an Aussie about how their commute is, what company they fly and to where in Oz too see if this lifestyle will work for me. PM me if your an Aussie working for AJV or AJX. Many thanks.:ok:

gtseraf
1st Feb 2009, 01:34
Hi Guys

To answer the last 2 questions.

As far as I can remember, was a long time ago, all we had to write, examwise for the ATPL conversion was Japanese airlaw, other exams were the type technical and radio licence. Sufficient (and more) preparation was given by the company for them. Sim checks consisted of 2 rides (for non type rated), the type rating check and then the ATPL check. Both were with JCAB inspectors b ut, once again, more than enough sim prep provided.

For the Aussie guys, commuting mostly with QF, some guys live in the smaller towns, commuting includes tickets to these towns. Lifestyle is very much a personal thing but the companies, both AJX and AJV, are quite flexible and will try to accomodate individual pregerences as much as possible.

For now AJV is the only company taking on DEC's, AJX only F/O's

gtseraf
1st Feb 2009, 20:42
TDK

Yes

No

7.5 yrs

skypine27
3rd Feb 2009, 21:00
I'm at a US freight carrier and may/may not be furloughed within 6 months.

I love SE Asia (lived in The PI and spent a lot of time in Thailand) and would welcome the chance to get back out there on a permanent basis.

I've hit on most of the nearly 30 pages (thus far) of this thread, and have sort of an off question for you guys at AJX/V.

What are the complaints? Not necessairly in the training, but do you guys have any gripes once you're out flying the line?

Thanks for all the info so far.

orangutan
3rd Feb 2009, 21:23
Not really any complaints. Many of the procedures here seem a little goofy and illogical (though always safe), so a good sense of humor and the ability to cheerfully go along with things that don't make any sense is essential. The lunatics are definitely running the asylum; however they are the nicest nutcases you will ever meet, and this is no question the best job out there. Most of the guys that work here know that, and are a happy bunch, so that makes for a pretty nice working atmosphere as well.

The Dominican
4th Feb 2009, 00:12
I agree with Orangutan, good people and not too difficult to navigate through the particular idiosyncrasies that exist in every job and this certainly is no exception but I think is worth mentioning that the job is what it is today because of the work that the trail blazers have made. At the beginning there where many very tough pairings and a lot of fatigue issues and the perks that we enjoy today like business class commute for example, have been 6 years in the making.:ugh:

The major complaints are:
Training: it can be quite tiring and having a training mindset for 8 months is definitely a pain
Days off: we have quite a bit of down time and the flying could be easily cramped into a 15 day roster IMO
Captain/captain pairings: We do fly with other captains about 50% of the time since we have quite a bit more captains than F/O's, I particularly don't care too much but it seems to bother some of the guys so you hear some complaints about it.

Outside of that it is a pretty good gig and we are enjoying it, so if you come with an open mind, good attitude and don't bring all of your baggage along, you will enjoy it too:ok:

oldhasbeen
4th Feb 2009, 03:55
The biggest "unknown" here is, what is that floating in the juice in the bottom of the crew meals??:eek:

orangutan
4th Feb 2009, 17:26
You are so right Domincan. Mucho thanks to the guys who have worked so hard (and are still working hard) to improve the job and quality of life issues. They deserve a lot of credit and appreciation (and a lot of free beer from the rest of us). The company actually deserves some credit too, for being fairly open minded about listening to our concerns--even if it does take years to get anything done. Changes do not happen quickly or easily in this part of the world, that's for sure. But, I have worked in places (as I'm sure we all have) that couldn't give a rip about whether their guys were happy or not, and in fact seemed to go out of their way to make everyone miserable. So for me, even slow progress is better than none.

As for that juice in the crew meals....I fear that is a mystery that might never be solved (cue spooky music)

gtseraf
5th Feb 2009, 06:51
maybe it's the remains of those who didn't get through:ooh:

atpcliff
9th Feb 2009, 03:59
Hi!

Military Time:
CREW says that mil time counts towards the 3000 TT, as long as you have 1000 civilian jet hours (this is a RECENT change).
PARC sent me an application, but said:
"In excess of 3,000 hours with 1,000 hours on commercial jet"
but in another part of their email, said that ANY mil time does NOT count.
So, is it true that CREW will let you count mil time, but PARC won't? Or, is PARC's info old, and hasn't been updated. And, what about IAC? They didn't say one way or the other about Mil time, but did note you needed 1000 civilian jet hours.

Jet Type Rating:
CREW says you have to have one.
PARC, on their AJV application says:
"...and a jet command rating."
then says "2 man jet COMMAND type rating",
then says "COMMAND Rating on B737/A320 or equivalent Jet Aircraft"
and, on their Air Japan application they included the first two command type rating requirements, but then they say:
"VALID COMMAND Rating on B767 or equivalent Heavy Jet Aircraft"

So, is it true that CREW will let you have ANY jet command type rating, but PARC may be different? And, what is PARC's requirement? Is it the first one, ANY jet command type rating, the second one, a "2 man jet command type rating", or a B737/A320 or equivalent for the AJV applicants, but a 767 or equivalent heavy jet type rating for Air Japan?
Note: I have sent asked these questions of PARC, and am still waiting to hear. I also asked them if they now included insurance for FAMILIES of US pilots.

FAA licensing and flying:
Previously, you could fly ANY aircraft as an FO for ANY company, ANYWHERE in the world, with no type rating of any kind, and, in fact NONE of US FOs had type ratings for any airlines or, for that matter, pretty much any companies. Most the "N" numbered jets you saw flying all over the world, had FOs in the right seat with no type ratings.

In the last couple of years, ICAO has said that BOTH pilots need type ratings, so, what the FAA did, was make up a bogus "FO Type Rating" to meet the ICAO requirement. They would just take your airline or company paperwork showing you were an employee, and stamp "SIC Type Rating" on your license. It was basically a way to get around the ICAO requirement that both pilots should have a type rating.

SOME airlines, SOME of the times, for SOME airframes (like Compass with their ERJ-175-they're a Northwest Airlink feeder, which is 100% owned by NWA), now give full Capt type ratings to their FOs.

So, you might've had a USAir 767 FO with 8,000+ hour on the airplane, with no type rating at all. A nice way for the FAA to allow lower requirements so the airlines can make more money with lower costs, and who cares about safety?

cliff
KGRB
PS-My info is: 4300TT, BUT, just over 3000 TT (if you only count PIC/SIC Fixed Wing) WITH military time counted
2500+ Civilian Jet
1000+ PIC Jet
DC-9, DA-20 Command Type Ratings
Lots of XC, PICXC, Night, Instrument, etc.

atpcliff
9th Feb 2009, 04:28
Hi!

"Date-Last Instrument Rating, AC Type and Renewal"

What does the above mean? It is in the CREW application.

What I did was put the date of my last capt PC check, which, in the US also meets the currency requirements for instrument flight. I put DC-9, which is the aircraft I got the PC check in, and for Renewal I put 6 months later, which is the renewal date for the capt PC check.

Do you think the way I did it will work?

For clarification, in the US/FAA, you get an Instrument Rating when you pass the Instrument flight check and written test, OR the ATP flight check and written test. Your Instrument Rating never expires.

So, technically, I got my Instrument Rating when I got my ATP in 1991, it applies to ALL Fixed-Wing Aircraft, and it has no expiration date.

Note: I actually got my FIRST Instrument Rating in 1985, but for helicopters only. NONE of the applications/requirements for the Japan Contract jobs mention they want Fixed-Wing only time, and no helo time. I just assume that they only want fixed-wing time.

cliff
GRB

atpcliff
12th Feb 2009, 14:44
Hi!

From what I understand, the JCAB just recently changed the requirement and now will ALLOW military time to count.

I read this on some message boards, and CREW has this information in bold on their website. You still WILL need at least 1000 hours of civilian jet time, but you can use your military fixed-wing time to reach 3000 hours of Total Time.

I just talked to PARC, and they do not know this. They said they will check with ANA tommorrow (2.13.09) and try and clarify. PARC is now NOT allowing military time to be used, but they will probably change their policy soon.

cliff
KGRB

El Lobo Solo
12th Feb 2009, 22:13
What is the exact reason that military time doesn't count in Japan? Pulling banners in a Cessna-150 or dropping skydivers within 2 miles of the airport all day counts but dropping bombs in an F-16 over Iraq or landing a C-130 on an austere strip in Afghanistan doesn't? WTFO?

E165
12th Feb 2009, 23:11
Answer to Crandal's question...

If the cost is similar for a 737 or 757 type, I'd definitely get a 757 rating with the 767 differences endorsed if possible. It probably won't give you an edge over other applicants per se as we've had unsuccessful candidates whose background was on the 767, but if you do get the job offer, you'll shave off approximately 1-1.5 months off your training. We had a guy who came here with 757 type rating (with a 767 differences endorsed I believe) and the company put him on a short track course as you would only need to train for the Japanese ATPL ride.

Also, as for the gripe working here (well not so much as a complaint, but an observation), it's always going to be 28C indoors day or night, summer or winter...And you'll need to get used to hiking 5km to your airplane.;) Otherwise, I really can't think of anything else. One thing I'd recommend before coming over is to read or watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...Haha...just kidding:)

Absolutely
14th Feb 2009, 08:08
To answer some of the "military time" questions.

I'm ex military and have been in AJX/V for 7.5 years. My understanding is all military time counts towards total flying experience. However if you flew some of the fast pointy hardware then this does not count towards your 1000 hour jet time. Even if you have 5000 hrs command on a C130 or P3 it still doesn't count towards the 1000 hour jet time.

FLYJET123
15th Feb 2009, 20:25
Hello All,

I have a screening in March any info and advice would be very much apreciated as I am really interested in a position. I have applied for Air Japan as I heard that more chance there to get my command back again? Have been told it would be 3 yrs? any comments? presently do not have the 3000PIC time only 2000 PIC time all on B757, so going as an F/O.

I think I would fit in there. Any do's or dont's for the screening?

Thanks.

Absolutely
15th Feb 2009, 23:57
Hi FLYJET,

I don't think you will get a command any quicker in AJX than AJV. In fact it would probably be quicker in AJV because they have about half as many FO's as AJX. AJX has only hired FO's for a while now and as far as I know the two companies promised to upgrade, evenly, 6 FO's/year. Can't remember if that was 6 from both or 6 total. 6 total I'm thinking, so three from each.

As for the interview, be as humble as you can without being rediculous. Don't tell them you're the worlds best pilot! As for the sim, be very positive and clear with your orders for checklists, gear, flaps etc. They expect you to show you are in command. Make sure you learn the info as best you can that they send you, they will expect you basically know it. DO NOT fly approaches the way you do now (efficiently) do exactly as the paperwork says. You will find a few holes missing in their info. After the first sim they will give you some more info to clear up things and they will expect a noticeable improvement in the next sim. They will probaly ask you if you want the left or right seat in the sim. I'd go for the left as you are used to that.

I believe they are asking a lot more technical questions than when I went through years ago, so sorry, cant help with that.

Good Luck.

The Dominican
16th Feb 2009, 00:26
Will Fly For Food - Professional Pilot Jobs, Interviews, Pay Rates, Forums and more!!! (http://www.willflyforfood.com/pilot_interviews/viewAirline.php?ID=224)

Here is a link with an interview posted back in June that has some technical question information on it.

In the meeting we had at AJX recently, the announcement was that they where going to upgrade 6 of the AJX's F/O's

skmarz
16th Feb 2009, 17:45
FWIW, when I interviewed in early November, I was told that if you went with AJX, you could expect a three year upgrade.

The Dominican
16th Feb 2009, 21:05
The interview started with the 15 question packet. Not hard but sure I missed some. I dont think much weight is put on this test. Then we had the intro. and the sim profile. Im not a 767 guy so I could not tell you one switch from the other. Write down your questions and ask after he is done. Had a few but not many as they explain very well. Quick background is 9 years regionals then a short stay with UAL. Asked about A320 and aircraft before CL65.
TECH QUESTIONS
-Hydroplanning knew types and examples
-Hydroplanning speed and how I came up with that number
-Rejected T.O and procedures
-Max gross weights
-What is important about zero fuel weight
-Cold wx ops, looking for the basics-engine anti-ice, type 1 or 4 fluids, holdover charts
-Give me a before T.O briefing, think here they are looking how fast you talk. Remember speak slowly and clearly.
-Volcanish ash in and avoidance
May have been a couple more but wasnt hard and if I didnt know something I simply said I dont know. I was asked more HR stuff. Feel like they were wanting to know if I was going to leave as soon as UAL called me back. Other normal HR stuff. The 767 sim flys well. I did not do any prep and have not flown in 5 months. By no means am I sky king but I did know the profile well. It wasnt a perfect ride but did know what I was supposed to do and always keep the NFP in the loop. Overall I dont think this was the best interview but I told the truth and I definitely wanted to be there. As far as Im concerned I will spend the rest of my career there or however long they will have me. I hope this helps and if anyone has any other questions please let me know. If in the states and want my # let me know and Ill help out as much as I can. There is no dumb questions because I already asked them all and I had someone help me out alot.

cessna438
20th Feb 2009, 03:26
Lots of good info on here guys and thanks a bunch for your efforts.

I am currently battling my way through the red tape to get an interview for a FO position through CREW. A few questions:

1. I've applies for the Air Japan 767 FO position but have no qualms with the 767 Express or the Cargo side if the position was available. Should I be filing out more than one application or does the one I have sent so far qualilfiy for all?

2. I understand that all paychecks go through CREW, an American company that abides by all US. tax law, but wondered if any current employees do an creative accounting to get back those taxes paid at the end of the tax year.

3. Would it be detrimental to my chances by applying to the same position through other Crew Leasing companies; Parc, etc?

4. If you dediced to stay in Japan for your 10 days off, do they still pay the $2,000 commuting allowance? Do you have the option to change between pocketing the $2,000, buying you own ticket or receiving the provided business class ticket from CREW each month or do you have to stick with one option for the long term?

5. I've gotten a lot of good info about technical questions. How crucial is it to know the ATP written exam book before going into the interview?

6. If there was one piece of information you wish you had before going into the interview, what would it have been.

As for my background, I have 1200 hours (all international) in the 757 and about 200 PIC in it as well.

Thanks a million for your efforts

Dusty

fourgolds
20th Feb 2009, 14:16
can someone working for AJV / AJX confirm whether they have ordered 777,s . if so any idea when they are due to arrive ?
tks

Fratemate
20th Feb 2009, 23:10
1. I've applies for the Air Japan 767 FO position but have no qualms with the 767 Express or the Cargo side if the position was available. Should I be filing out more than one application or does the one I have sent so far qualilfiy for all? You will have to tick the box saying which one you are specifically applying for. You will be screened by EITHER AJX or AJV and the screening by one does not cover the screening for the other. In my opinion (and it is only that), you'd be better applying for AJV at the moment. They are still hiring 4 pilots every other month because they are needed. I believe AJX do not have a requirement for so many pilots. Likewise, AJV needs FOs, so you'd stand a better chance.....small print and usual warnings apply.

2. I understand that all paychecks go through CREW, an American company that abides by all US. tax law, but wondered if any current employees do an creative accounting to get back those taxes paid at the end of the tax year. Crew seem to be able to sort the Yanks out pretty well but I'll leave a Sherman to answer that question as I don't have a clue what you guys do.

3. Would it be detrimental to my chances by applying to the same position through other Crew Leasing companies; Parc, etc? I think this has been asked before and we found out that you cannot apply for the same job using different agencies at the same time. Parc and Crew seem to pretty well have the monoploy on this contract, with IAC coming in at quite a late 3rd. Stralians and Europeans seem to favour Parc, Shermans seem to go for Crew. Crew definitely appear to have the better understanding of the tax requirements of the USA.

4. If you dediced to stay in Japan for your 10 days off, do they still pay the $2,000 commuting allowance? Do you have the option to change between pocketing the $2,000, buying you own ticket or receiving the provided business class ticket from CREW each month or do you have to stick with one option for the long term? MMmm, don't know the answer to the first bit as I'd much rather go home :) As for the second question, yes, you can decide each month what you want to do. When it gets busy during school holidays etc many of the pilots will use the C class option because it guarantees they can get their flights. At quieter times they might take the $2000 and use ZED tickets to get home. But, the main answer is you can do it month by month.

5. I've gotten a lot of good info about technical questions. How crucial is it to know the ATP written exam book before going into the interview? See previous postings on the questions asked in the interview and make your own decision. Sorry I can't be more helpful but they never had the tech questions when I interviewed so I can't add anything more to what's already been said.

6. If there was one piece of information you wish you had before going into the interview, what would it have been Nothing really. The info sent by the agencies will cover all you need for the screening process and the Japanese briefings will ensure you know what is required of you in the sims. That, plus all the questions and answers in this thread should stand you in good stead.

Fratemate
20th Feb 2009, 23:14
Fourgolds,

No, they have not ordered 777s. It's still a great rumour that one day we'll get them, but it's only that.

I suspect we will not see any progress down this road until (a) Boeing finally gets its act together and delivers ANA's 787s and (b) we see the state on the industry when we all finally dig our way out of the world recession.

The Dominican
21st Feb 2009, 01:16
I believe AJX do not have a requirement for so many pilots

AJX is also running classes every other month for the foreseeable future they told us in an office meeting recently, they even said that there is a possibility that DEC's hiring for AJX will begin by the end of the year. All subject to change of course

Hank the F/C
25th Feb 2009, 19:20
In the info from Parc they talk about commutable roster with 10 days of, how commutable is the roster in real life for someone who lives in Europe?
I guess this question has been covered before but this thread is a whopping 31 pages so I hope you forgive me for not reading all of it;)

orangutan
27th Feb 2009, 16:23
Though I haven't done it myself, we do have several guys here who commute from Europe, including a few from Denmark. They seem happy enough, and I have never heard them complain about the commute, so I'm guessing it's not a big problem for them.

Hank the F/C
27th Feb 2009, 17:48
Thanks for the info, this seams like a nice company to work for, can you give me an example on a typical monthly roster, days off, days on
Cheers, Hank

The Dominican
27th Feb 2009, 18:33
[QUOTE][Thanks for the info, this seams like a nice company to work for, can you give me an example on a typical monthly roster, days off, days on
Cheers, Hank
/QUOTE]

For what company? AJX and AJV have fairly different roster patterns

Hank the F/C
27th Feb 2009, 18:49
If you apply at Parc for one position you get applications for both and the contracts are similar so it's a bit confusing for us wannabes, but in you opinion which company should I apply for if I want to commute to Europe Cheers Hank:confused:

The Dominican
27th Feb 2009, 20:13
Hum? that is a difficult question to answer Hank because I really don't think that there is an advantage from the commuting perspective of one company vs. the other, they both have business class commute and they both require you to commute as to arrive in Tokyo the day before your first duty day, they both have rosters that permits you to fly out the last day of your duty and the salary package for the F/O's is the same for both AJV and AJX (thanks to the guys that have been here since the beginning and fought hard to get conditions improved at these two contracts, I personally can't say thank you enough) the upgrade time frame is pretty much at the 4 year mark for both companies and they both are planning to run classes every other month for the foreseeable future, so it really depends on what kind of flying you want to do.

At AJV they are flying less than we are at AJX (about 40 hours vs. 70 hours) but that could very well change in the future because AJV is expecting an increased workload, they do mostly overnight stuff while we do some day trips (we also do some overnight stuff at AJX) but I will let an AJV guy to give you a more detailed example of their rosters and I will just give you one of my rosters as an example.

I arrive day one (day before my first duty) I'm using business class every month, to me being comfortable and not having to worry about loads etc. vastly out weight making a few extra hundred dollars a month.
1) over night trip to SIN
2) SIN
3) back to NRT
4) over night trip to HKG
5) HKG
6) return to TYO
7) Blank Day (basically off, it is not considered a day off but you are not obligated to be available for duty)
8)Sin overnight trip
9) Sin
10)return to NRT
11) China day trip (two leg day trip)
12) China day trip (two leg day trip)
13) Taipei over night
14) return to NRT
15) Standby duty from 3pm to 9 pm. (you are rarely called)
16) Blank day
17) HNL trip
18) HNL
19) return to NRT, and I commute home home the same day.

Mind you, I'm using two vacation days per month to extend my days off to 12 and remember that at AJV they do have one extra day off per month (11 vs 10 at AJX) that is probably the most tangible benefit at AJV is that they have an additional day off

Hope that helps

orangutan
27th Feb 2009, 20:26
Which is better? That probably depends on whether you ask an AJV or an AJX guy. At AJV you get 11 days off because you do more tiring back of the clock stuff. On top of the 11 days, many guys choose to take 2 of their vacation days per month to get a 17 on / 13 off roster. This is something scheduling is currently allowing, but it's not guaranteed that they will always do so. Additionally, there is quite a lot of flexibility in how you arrange your work and off time, (alternating, back to back etc.) The scheduler here works very hard to accommodate peoples' wishes, so most of the guys are able to get something they are reasonably happy with each month.

Hank the F/C
27th Feb 2009, 21:21
Thanks guys for good info, as I said before both companies seams like good places to work and judging by yours and other posts here there seams to be a good working atmosphere there too, just have to convince my wife, otherwise my application would be in the post as we speak. Maybe I'll see you guys in a few months.;)
Cheers Hank

gtseraf
27th Feb 2009, 21:49
Hello Hank

You make a very valid point in your last post. My experience, and that of many of the guys on this contract, is that this lifestyle can be very demanding on the family, especially the wife, as she has to alternate between being a single mother when you are away at work and then sharing the parenting, decision making etc. when you are back home. It is not always very easy and should, unless unemployment etc. forces the issue, be considered very carefully before taking up this lifestyle.

I am not being negative about it, have been here for 7 years and have worked through (sort of) these issues, such that the job works for us and is actually not too bad.

Good luck with it all.

orangutan
28th Feb 2009, 18:30
gtseraf makes an excellent point. If your wife is the type that needs to call you every time the plumbing leaks or the car gets a flat, then it is likely that neither one of you would be very happy in this situation. I am pretty lucky that my wife is a smart capable girl who easily handles everything while I am away--still there is the issue that gtseraf mentions about us guys "reassimilating" back into family life when we come home. Years ago at another job, I once complained to my wife that I was tired of always having to reassert my authority when I came home. I thought she was going to die laughing! And she was right...she doesn't come to work and tell me how to do my job, so why should I come home and tell her how to do hers. She does a great job of running things while I am gone, so it doesn't makes sense for me to try to reinvent the system every time I come home, though I often still try ;)
That said, these issues come up with nearly every airline job that involves flying anything besides day trips, and so I don't think they are particular to AJV/AJX. Good luck and hope to see you on the line.

atpcliff
28th Feb 2009, 21:13
Hi!

There is a Japan Contract guy out of ATL, that takes the $2K/month, uses some of it to buy a ticket, and then upgrades to Business Class with his miles.

So, if you live near the right hub, you can make money AND still have positive space Business Class.

Being gone about 20 days in a row IS an adjustment for most airline guys, but not for me. I would LOVE to get an interview.

cliff
GRB

coolio545
1st Mar 2009, 17:06
Hi chaps,
This is to ask if anyone does know if they also hire a new type rated guy on 767 without any line training exp on type,with only 550 hours TT.
Thanks!

oldhasbeen
1st Mar 2009, 20:17
550 hours TT?? Jesus holy mother of God!!! With that kind of time i was still running " locals" around the bush in a C182! How the hell do you get a B767 endo with 550 hours? Having said that there maybe a couple of guys here with not much more TT than that here:eek::eek:

orangutan
1st Mar 2009, 21:08
Hi coolio,
It never hurts to apply..however I have noticed that they tend to stick extremely tight to their stated requirements of 3000 TT and 1000 commercial jet. These days also, the competition is quite fierce as word is getting out that this is a pretty good gig. Many of the guys hired here recently (as FO's) have well over 10,000 TT and lots of heavy jet time. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but just to let you know what you're up against. Good luck to you and keep at it.

BlackWater01
3rd Mar 2009, 09:11
Fratemate

do you know how long does it take for a 767 FO to up-grade to Cpt in ANA?

thanks

BlackWater01
3rd Mar 2009, 09:13
Fratemate

if i have only 2500h on jets> 20tons do you think ANA will consider my application?

thanks

BlackWater01
3rd Mar 2009, 09:23
... and what about live in Japan?

orangutan
3rd Mar 2009, 16:40
As The Domincan stated in his post just a few days ago, time to upgrade is four years. As in my response to coolio yesterday, no I do not think they will consider your application as they do not ever budge from their stated minimums. Living in Japan is only possible if you have some other reason (besides the job) that qualifies you to do so, such as being married to a Japanese citizen.

coolio545
3rd Mar 2009, 18:23
hi orangutan!!(gorilla in spanish)
Thank you for your words.....
By the way......does then anyone knows how to get hours on 757/767??
And i didnt do yet my base training coz of some troubbles of dates...having 0 hours on jet,do JAA approve Level D simulator for 6 takeoffs and landings?

Cheers.

Crandal
3rd Mar 2009, 18:25
Do you guys think with JAL furloughing, if ANA wil still continue to hire this year. It is my understanding some of the Expats were forloughed at JAL.:(

middlepath
3rd Mar 2009, 19:41
I think ANA has almost completed their experiments and its very unlikely to have further expansions and expat recruitments. However, never say never

orangutan
3rd Mar 2009, 22:17
That is interesting Middlepath, I have not heard that. A couple days ago, I was told by an upper management guy that AJV will continue to hire for the rest of this year and throughout next year as well.

Coolio,
I wish I could help you out on that one; it doesn't sound as though you will want to get your 57/67 time the way I got mine: grinding throught the airline system for 22 years, first at a regional carrier and then at a major before I finally got lucky and landed here. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion :confused:

BuzzLightyears
4th Mar 2009, 11:48
Hello Toys:O

does anybody know if ANA will consider your application also if you do not meet the total flight time by just a little?

Thanks in advance for the answer

Buzz:O

The Dominican
4th Mar 2009, 12:44
Post #622 by Orangutan (go up 5 posts)

BuzzLightyears
4th Mar 2009, 12:55
Thanks Dom

... so no ANA below 3000 hours! Jezzz

The Dominican
4th Mar 2009, 16:24
I know Buzz, it sucks! all I can tell you is apply and see what happens but it is our experience that the Japanese look at this in a very black and white manner, to them if you are missing an hour or a thousand hours to meet their minimums it is just that, you don't meet the minimums period! and besides, with this development at Jalways all of a sudden there are 100+ Japanese ATPL holders with tons of heavy time that are experienced in their training methodology, route structure, culture.....! well, let me put it this way. For those in the pool or expecting to jump in the pool, there are 100+ Michel Phelps just about to jump in the pool with you, not good

vee tail
5th Mar 2009, 01:25
Q400
G' day guys and ladettes,
I am in the middle of applying for the current Q400 commands with Parc and had heard down a very long grape vine that guys have got onto the 767 and other wides after completeion of contract on the Q400.
Any one heard this ??? would it be possible.

Yep I have been reading the posts about 1000 hrs heavy time.

Just trying to source other avenues :ok:

V

pigdriver
5th Mar 2009, 09:28
From what I have heard along the grapevine , to date there has been no one come from the dash Q400 contracts,or the B737 ones.
Be very very weary of any contract company that is pushing this one.......

BuzzLightyears
5th Mar 2009, 15:28
... thanks again Dom for understanding ... it's just that J.Lasseter doesn't want me on Toy Story 3 so i need to find a job!

thanks

atpcliff
6th Mar 2009, 22:30
Hi!

I just applied as I suddenly met the mins as the JCAB now accepts military time.

The mins are 3000 jet and 1000 jet civilian hours.

BUT: They only count P1/P2 time.

So, INSTRUCTOR time does NOT count, and neither does Solo (as a student) or any student time (or helicopter time), or any other aircrew time, for that matter (nav, simulator, etc.).

So if you were a Captain, or First Officer it is counted (or military single-pilot fighter time, after you have 1000 Civilian P1/P2 time). Anything else counts 0.

cliff
KGRB

CloudSailor
19th Mar 2009, 18:50
For those of you on the AJX side... what is the preference for
accomodations while in Tokyo?

Are pilots mostly crashpadding or staying in hotels?

What is the typical cost of either option?

Thanks.

oldhasbeen
19th Mar 2009, 22:04
About the same. Allowance is $550/mth of which you'll probably spend 6-700/mth for a hotel room. Most decent apartments are around $1100/mth (all in USD)( which are big enough for 2 guys) plus you'll pay about another 100 each/mth for utilities and cable tele. At the moment it's probably 50/50 as far as what guys are doing.If your a big girlies blouse, like Dominican, you'll stay in the hotel, cause he can't look after himself ( let alone cook!!).:p:p:p

CloudSailor
20th Mar 2009, 01:02
Thanks for the quick response.

aviate2day
20th Mar 2009, 21:34
I've seen the sample AJX roster any chance of an AJV roster? How many days off do you really get for your home time. I believe its 10 for AJX and 12 for AJV, just wondered what you get in reality, is it more than this?
Cheers A2D

Talon757
20th Mar 2009, 23:20
From the currently posted CReW contract:

Days Off: 10 free duty of which 8 min. consecutive days off and 20/21 operations days per month.

The Dominican
20th Mar 2009, 23:59
I'm actually a pretty good cook and cooking for my family is one of my favorite pass times. The apartment has a lot of advantages over the hotel because it is your own space, you don't have to pack and un pack every time you are going on an overnight trip, you can cook your favorite meals, it is a place of your own. But strangely enough that is the major problem the apartment has on my view because I want the time away from my home to feel that I am away from my home

Jobear
26th Mar 2009, 03:50
Dom,
Let the gang know I applied thru PARC I let you know what happens.

Tell Andy and Matt I said howdy.

Jobear

Fratemate
26th Mar 2009, 05:55
A2D,

AJV get 11 days off, not 12. Basically, you get your contactural 10 days off and then they add a 'Blank Day' to give you a total of 11 off per month. In addition, you get 2 vacation days per month which you can save or spend as you wish. So, if you wanted to, you could have 13 days off, if you choose to use your vacation days each month.

Once in Japan, it's easiest to accept the fact that they own you. The roster is normally pretty full and most standby days at the moment seem to be changed to a duty. There's normally 2-3 dead heading trips between NRT & KIX. Basically, you're on the 'go' most days apart from a day off every 7 or so. I take this as being a good thing; I'd much rather my company be flying aircraft and me busy than the alternative :)

If you're looking for a job to sit around and do little, the don't bother applying. If you want a job with a decent company, that pays pretty well, honours your days off and flies the tidiest aircraft you'll ever see, then come on in, the water's lovely.

CloudSailor
26th Mar 2009, 13:26
I'm not sure about PARC, but I know that CReW recently changed their days off structure.

CReW originally has had 10 days off, 8 of which are consecutive, for AJX (passenger side). And used to have 10 days off consecutive for AJV (cargo).

However, their contract changed in the last month or so, to where BOTH passenger and cargo only get the 8 days off consecutive, 10 total. No longer a difference between pax and cargo as far as days off goes, as far as CReW goes...

I understand though that they practice giving guys 10 days off consecutive, however the contract says 8 consecutive guaranteed, and you should take that as the official word.

Commuting takes place on your days off.

Kinda rambled, but hope you understood.

Fratemate
27th Mar 2009, 02:19
There's no difference, in practise, between how the Company handles days off for pilots using different agencies. Most pilots take all of their days off consecutively i.e. 11 days off for AJV. Some pilots split their days off in two, but that's the guys who live 'locally' e.g. Korea.

Our Japanese employers are decent people and they realise we are going to want to take our days off at home and not spend them in Japan, after all, that's the idea of having a commuting contract. I'm 100% confident they are not going to start upsetting the apple cart by giving us 8 days at home and then 2 off in Japan as they could guarantee the riot it would cause. Despite CloudSailor's caution about the literal wording in the contract, I believe you can plan on getting all of your days off consecutively.

I haven't got my contract to hand but if Parc's says '10 consecutive days off' and CReW's says '8' then I know what I'd be doing.

CloudSailor
27th Mar 2009, 02:37
I'm just going by what CReW's website states, and by what the CReW contract offers. CReW is owned in part by ANA. So, according to CReW, their contract will never offer less than the PARC one. However, that is just what I heard from them, not necessarily a fact. I do know that the CReW contract's guaranteed consecutive days off changed in the last 3 months. As Fratemate says though, if PARC actually still does offer a better contract, go with them.

If you look on www.crewresourcesworldwide.com (http://www.crewresourcesworldwide.com/) you will see that both CA and FO, AJV (cargo) and AJX (pax) contracts, clearly state the 10 days off a month, only 8 of which is guaranteed consecutive. The cargo side (AJV) contract recently changed on the CReW website. It used to state 10 days off consecutive, now it states 10 days off, of which 8 are guaranteed consecutive. Now, if you choose to "burn" vacation days, you can increase your days off, but of course you are left without a big vacation block of days off sometime later on in the year.

In my opinion, this is the best expat, commuting contract out there. However, it is important to clearly understand the commuting situation. You will be leaving the U.S. back to TYO two days prior to operation days. So, if you begin your work days on say, Saturday, you need to leave the U.S. mainland on a flight on Thursday. Both Thursday and Friday, commuting days, are still technically on your time off, which can effectively turn the guaranteed minimum 8 days off into effectively 6 days at home a month. If you are lucky to get the 10 days off consecutive, and add 2 days of "burned" vacation, you can make it 12 days consecutive. Still, they are completely clear that commuting takes place on your days off and that the 8 consecutive is all you are actually guaranteed by the contract.

CReW is very straightforward about all this, with no sugar-coating. You need to clearly know what you get into and they want you well informed. If you call them directly (number listed on website) they will answer any and all questions clearly. They offered me the contract, and I was truly honored by it, however the possibility of 6 days at home per month (without burning vacation) was out of the question for me. CReW specifically told me that "right now the practice is to give pilots the 10 consecutive days off, however, if operational necessity demands a change, the contract only guarantees 8 days off consecutive, both AJV and AJX"....

The Dominican
27th Mar 2009, 12:07
In my opinion, this is the best expat, commuting contract out there. However, it is important to clearly understand the commuting situation. You will be leaving the U.S. back to TYO two days prior to operation days. So, if you begin your work days on say, Saturday, you need to leave the U.S. mainland on a flight on Thursday. Both Thursday and Friday, commuting days, are still technically on your time off, which can effectively turn the guaranteed minimum 8 days off into effectively 6 days at home a month. If you are lucky to get the 10 days off consecutive, and add 2 days of "burned" vacation, you can make it 12 days consecutive. Still, they are completely clear that commuting takes place on your days off and that the 8 consecutive is all you are actually guaranteed by the contract.

The way you are making your numbers Cloud is technically correct as per the letter of the contract. In practice there is nobody here that I have heard off that has been given less than 10 consecutive days off in a row (11 for AJV) not even back at the beginning of these contracts when the rosters were a bit abusive flying cargo and passengers, constantly changing from day and night flying and still the 10 days off where given in a row. I personally haven't had a single request denied in the little over two years that I have been here and I'm one of the guys that burns my vacation days every month and then pair the end and beginning of two consecutive months to take my yearly vacation.

CloudSailor
27th Mar 2009, 13:09
Dominican,

You have the experience of being there and a contract that states 11 days off, two big advantages.

Obviously you know what is going on, since you've been there for 2 + years. I am very thankful for all your posts, and used a lot of your info in the decision making process to pursue this contract.

CReW repeatedly told me that the contract that I'm signing only has 8 days off consecutive guaranteed, and that if the operation in the future demands it, that's what they would practice. It sounded like a warning to me in the sense of "we told you very clearly before you signed the contract that 8 in a row was all that is guaranteed". That was enough to make me realize I would have NO ground to stand on by saying "you guys give everybody 10 off in a row"...

Maybe they change the contract from time to time. When I applied through CReW, AJV offered 10 consecutive, now it is only 8. I wanted to take your words and EK's on Airline Pilot Central forums, and use that as my contract. At the end of the day though, I am responsible for the language I was going to sign off on, not the posts I've read here, you know what I mean?

A lot of things can happen in 5 years. They might actually need to give guys only the 8 days consecutive. We'll see. On the other hand, they might improve on the contract for everyone, like they've done in the past.

Enjoy your time there, you have a great deal going.

aviate2day
27th Mar 2009, 13:41
Fratemate
Thanks for your response
Cheers
A2D

The Dominican
28th Mar 2009, 08:47
Dom,
Let the gang know I applied thru PARC I let you know what happens.

Tell Andy and Matt I said howdy.

Jobear

I sure will bro! I wish you the best of luck and let us know how it goes

At the end of the day though, I am responsible for the language I was going to sign off on, not the posts I've read here, you know what I mean?

Good luck Cloud, I understand your thought process because I went through the same uncertainty about the days off when I was researching this job, I hope things work out for you guys at your current gig

snotneus
28th Mar 2009, 10:13
The Dominican.
Thank you for your helpful info. I'm going through the motions of applying or not.
Can you please tell me how the pilots with kids are coping. And how are the kids coping.
Thank you.

The Dominican
29th Mar 2009, 06:43
snotneus, aviation sucks! what can I say? flying the airplane is that part of it all that we would do for free, our salaries are earned by the personal sacrifices of separation from your family. The vast majority of pilots here are married and have kids, I can't speak for them because the question is subjective in nature but I can speak for my own experience. My kids have adapted to the lifestyle very well actually, having all you days off in a row can be a good thing for your kids if when you are home you dedicate your time to them. Your partner (wife) is who will make this work for you or not, if she is not independent and capable to handle problems (that always come up when you are away, the toilet doesn't clog when you are home) on her own then things will start building up. Technology does help quite a bit, the fact that I speak to them and I can see them and they can see me 2 and 3 times everyday does help quite a bit. But hey, aviation sucks!

Hoggin
29th Mar 2009, 10:55
Does anyone know what the experience level is of the people getting called for an interview? I read in previous posts that its going up for obviuos reasons but I was wondering how much time people had that were getting called.

Thanks

Agent Mulder
29th Mar 2009, 19:26
a mate from oz just got the call, he has 3500 TT, about 1300 on jets (mostly 737/Emb190),

lookinround
29th Mar 2009, 20:00
Is anyone living in Japan on these contracts or is it all commuters? Just wondering what the schedule is like if you don't have to fly home.

oldhasbeen
29th Mar 2009, 20:53
Schedule is the same , no matter where you live. As far as the wife and kids are concerned, my missus ( for some reason) is always in a great hurry to see me go and she always burns rubber when she drops me off at he airport!! Maybe it's because the toilet always gets clogged when i'm home!!:eek:

Capt Navarre
30th Mar 2009, 03:37
Lookinround,

There is probably a good reason AJX/AJV want you to go home (scurry off, go anywhere, go away) upon completing duty. Employing foreigners to do anything in Japan is a very contentious issue.

And you only have to consider the bad wrap the Cathay pilots get in Hong Kong. I don't imagine that base in Tokyo for foreigners would be a very popular idea there.

However, if you already possessed the right of abode in Japan or some kind of of immigrant landing visa, then what are they going to do? Deport you? Without formal sponsorship from your employer, they will assume you are attempting to colonize them or takeover their country.

Good luck :ok:

lookinround
30th Mar 2009, 08:29
Capt. Navarre,

Thanks for the constructive response, I take it you are currently working there?

So does anyone live in Japan and work for these guys?

jrwhitehat
31st Mar 2009, 21:39
Both outfits are only required to give 8 days consecutive (by contract) but in practice have almost always given 10/11. Does anyone ever remember not getting 10 consecutive?

orangutan
1st Apr 2009, 00:03
Lookinround, this question has been asked and answered many times--(see my post 622 on the previous page for the most recent version)

O

Absolutely
2nd Apr 2009, 05:57
jrwhitehat

Yes (only 8 days off in a row), for about the first 3 months of AJX operation nearly 8 years ago. Never happened since to my knowledge, there would be a mutiny!

The Dominican
3rd Apr 2009, 09:01
There is probably a good reason AJX/AJV want you to go home (scurry off, go anywhere, go away) upon completing duty. Employing foreigners to do anything in Japan is a very contentious issue.

And you only have to consider the bad wrap the Cathay pilots get in Hong Kong. I don't imagine that base in Tokyo for foreigners would be a very popular idea there.

:confused:The only two contracts offered by ANA that are commuting contracts are at AJV\AJX. All other contracts (ANK=737, A-net=Q 400, IBEX=CRJ's) are all residing contracts.

The reasons are very different than those you imply, it is a matter of "money" it is not social or political. It is not only the difference of salaries with our local counterparts but also the fact that there is no tax liability to the company from these employees since we don't reside in Japan

Capt Coco
3rd Apr 2009, 09:21
Otake(Elvis) only gave the boys 8 days off in a row at the start.....a few of the boys spat the dummy!!! Elvis was promoted sideways(never to be seen again) and ever since then you get at least 10 days off, more if you want ie added leave.

wall-e
6th Apr 2009, 14:23
Is there any expat FO currently working for ANA?
I'm looking for information according to commuting program with Paris, London, Germany or Milan!
Thanks

meguro
6th Apr 2009, 22:05
ANA take FO's and DEC's. It is likely that in the near future, it will only be FO's.
Just as a guess, EU applications are quite welcome. Just be a bit careful with P1 time vs Command time. Not same same.

We have crew that commute to northern Europe, the UK and the odd one heading to Italy.

Good luck

fiftypercentn1
7th Apr 2009, 09:46
Is it true you have to convert (i.e. do all the exams again) your licence to a local one before being able to start flying?

Fratemate
8th Apr 2009, 03:40
The first week of groundschool is spent doing Air Law and at the end of this you do the Air Law exam at a local JCAB facility. After that it's radio law and radio theory, followed by a locally administered exam in each subject. All this is followed by the usual suspects: dangerous goods, safety equipment etc.

Once you've finished that stage it's onto the aircraft systems and the written 767 type exam. If you've already got the 757/767 on your licence then there is no need to do this bit.

Next comes fixed base sims, followed by the full motion sims. If you already have a type rating then you go straight to doing the ATPL test in the sim (examined by JCAB). If you're not rated then you first do your type rating exam in the sim (examined by JCAB) and then you do your ATPL test, as above.

Once you've done your medical and English test they will apply for your Japanese ATPL and, after a brief respite, it's line training time.

So, the answer to your question is 'yes', you do have to convert your non-Japanese licence to a Japanese ATPL but 'no', you do not have to do ALL the exams again. The whole course is designed around achieving this and you'll come out of the end of the sausage machine as a 767 rated pilot, flying the line with a Japanese ATPL.

wall-e
8th Apr 2009, 07:03
I lika the sausage ... i lika the spicy sausage!

Fratemate

do you have study materials (web site or what..) to prepare for the JCAB Air Law?
can you describe the exams profile for th JCAB ATP practice in the sim?

thanks mate

The Dominican
8th Apr 2009, 09:06
You don't really need to study before hand, they will take you by the hand and give you the preparation course that you need to pass the test, It is not difficult

wall-e
8th Apr 2009, 09:16
Thanks Dom

always reliable is this thread!

Thanks

Hobbit
8th Apr 2009, 13:01
Wall-E be careful about the requirements for military time. They wouldn't allow any of mine but I hear that this may have changed.

b747crj
8th Apr 2009, 16:18
Once you've done your medical and English test they will apply for your Japanese ATPL and, after a brief respite, it's line training time

What in case, that you possess a ICAO LEVEL IV english knowledge; PARC requirement? Thank You

Fratemate
9th Apr 2009, 23:39
You will do the English test no matter what. The Japanese have their way of doing things and there is no way to circumnavigate around them. The only concession to doing ALL the training is if you have a type rating and then you don't do that part of the course. Apart from that, you will do everything, including the English test, even if you've already got it stamped in gold all over your JAR licence. This is for the issue of a JCAB licence and they are certainly 'thorough' in the way they like things done :)

PS: Even those English from England sit the English Test

snotneus
18th Apr 2009, 12:31
i'm worried about ANA.

1 everyone has stopped employing or even laying off. Yet sounds like ANA is still employing.

2 ANA is taking quite a few early B787's, which boeing admits, are over weight. yes cheaper to buy, but always hauling extra weight around.

Any comment from those in the know. Also how do the pax & cargo loads look.

Fly safe.

pilotlear
19th Apr 2009, 10:47
Just been busted on my application..got 7600 TT more than 5000 jet 700 on B 747 Classic 1200 full glass but do not have heavy PIC...out of parc,...NO ANSWER...:confused:

Any flying bird out there has any idea why...spent days with an handfull lady out of Ireland working on my file before mail it to Japs...and crosschecked twice the missing minimum of eavy PIC :mad:

So far the BEST COMMUTING Contract I ever seen around!
My RGDS guys

The Dominican
19th Apr 2009, 16:16
2 ANA is taking quite a few early B787's, which boeing admits, are over weight. yes cheaper to buy, but always hauling extra weight around.

Any comment from those in the know. Also how do the pax & cargo loads look.

The loads in terms of passengers have been picking up lately and we are running pretty good loads in our flights (don't have the numbers system wide, just giving you my observation based on my flights) cargo numbers are still pretty low but showing an upward trend actually, we carry cargo on the pax flights also and although they are increasing a bit, they are still half of what we used to see before.

The 787? Well, pretty much every new A/C comes out performing with lower expectations than what the drawing board numbers suggested (I.E. the salesman numbers) this was certainly the case with the A-380. The utilization is the key because the route structure of ANA and the placement of this A/C in medium and short hauls lessens the impact of lower than expected performance numbers, the 787 is an eventual substitute of the 767 and ANA doesn't really do ultra long hauls on the 76's If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I am) we do the longest 767 run at Air Japan (HNL) I think that besides the lower than expected performance numbers, the 787 will fit well for the utilization that they are planning.

Just been busted on my application..got 7600 TT more than 5000 jet 700 on B 747 Classic 1200 full glass but do not have heavy PIC...out of parc,...NO ANSWER...http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

Any flying bird out there has any idea why...spent days with an handfull lady out of Ireland working on my file before mail it to Japs...and crosschecked twice the missing minimum of eavy PIC http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/censored.gif

So far the BEST COMMUTING Contract I ever seen around!
My RGDS guys

It is frustrating pilotlear because you do have a good experience but you have to consider two factors. 1) as impressive as your experience is, you have a LOT of guys with those numbers or better applying right now. Those numbers are the average experience levels of the F/O's joining the line now, have you considered applying as an F/O? the money is not bad on the right seat and the prospect of upgrade within the first contract is pretty good so that might be an option you would want to consider.
2) It has been posted by several folks here that the company see the minimums as a solid number and if you are missing an hour from the minimums it is just that, you don't meet the minimums. I understand your frustration but it is what it is

Pin Head
19th Apr 2009, 19:20
so do you have to do 6 mths of classroom work - or is that just kods wholllop?

widebody300er
19th Apr 2009, 19:56
Is there many 767 typed people applying? I am 767 typed 5200 total 1500 hrs on the 767.. how long does it take to hear from them once you apply?
The way things are going is it worth applying with these low times for an FO position?
Thank you,
Widebody

Fratemate
20th Apr 2009, 14:08
Pin Head,

From day 1 until getting checked out on the line will take 6-7 months. FOs do a little less line training than capts, hence the difference. During this time you normally get to go home once for approx 10 days, normally after the ATPL test/medical and prior to line training. Obviously things vary and some people have less time and some more at home during the training but that is the basic plan. The Company pays for your wife's flights and accommodation for 2 periods of 7 days during training and once for your kids' flights and accommodation. So, basically, your wife and kids get a holiday in Japan for 7 days during your training. It's up to you to figure out when they will visit and, no, the Company does not specifically give you time off during their stay.

Widebody,

I reckon your experience would stand you in good stead for an FO application. There have been people without type ratings and some who have barely qualified on type, so your 1500 hrs isn't bad at all. I'm afraid I have no idea what's happening with the waiting times. What with every airline going belly-up in the States and the disease now spreading further afield, AJV/AJX can afford to be more selective than before (lucky some of us got in earlier) and I suppose the waiting times will go up. I think they will look more favourably if you're able to come as soon as they want you but they do understand the norm of 3 months notice to most airlines, so don't sweat it if you have to let your present bunch know you're off.

widebody300er
20th Apr 2009, 15:45
Fratemate,

Thank you for all your info!! I am from Canada and unemployed at this time!! so I could come anytime!! and will apply right away..:ugh:

Cheers
widebody

Mr.White
21st Apr 2009, 14:14
Hi there!!!!!!!

Any ANA/JP pilot that speaks spanish around to PM ?????

I really appreciated

Happy Landings
Mr. White:ok:

The Dominican
21st Apr 2009, 21:29
Any ANA/JP pilot that speaks spanish around to PM ?????

En que puedo ayudar senor Blanco?
How can I help Mr. White?

Mr.White
24th Apr 2009, 09:21
Hi there to all!

The package that ANA offers its pretty good, so I imagine that very experience guys apply for it.

Is really truth to get in as Capt with 3000hrs PIC on 767??? or most people with that experience get offer a FO position???????

Mr.White:ok:

577728d980b64153e187
25th Apr 2009, 11:58
Mr White,

It is true, you need 3000 Jet PIC time to get hired as an off the street captain. At one point it was only a 1000 hrs, but due to ANA hiring a couple of RJ Captains of the street (couple of years ago, I want to say from Pinnacle) and having difficulty with them, they have since had to raise the minimums to 3000.

Good luck getting on, they are a tough nut to crack.

LJ

Mr.White
25th Apr 2009, 16:23
Hi 577728d980b64153e187

Thanks for the info, in that case I will go for it when I get the 3000 PIC on B767. Just curious, why are they a tough nut to crack???? Have you apply for it??????? Do you know something about ANA that I dont, please explain

Tks!
Mr.White:ok:

f-100
1st May 2009, 11:55
Hi every one
Thank you for your attention.
My name is Amir.
I am 28 years old and holder of CPL/IR/LEVEL 4/ (ICAO) & JAA.
Right now I have 2500hrs flight in FOKKER-100.
Last year I married in Japan and for cause of my wife I left my job in another country and newly I moved to Japan.
Next month I will take my ATPL in US and also I want to take new type rating.
Would anyone help me how can I found any job as pilot in Japan?
Because of my wife I want job in Japan salary not important.
Thanks a lot

The Dominican
2nd May 2009, 03:42
Hello Amir

There are three major contractors that handle employment in Japan right now.

Parcaviation
Hawaiiaviation (CREW)
IAC global

Do a search on those sites about the opportunities available and check their minimums to see if you qualify. Talk to PARC and ask them about a new company coming up that will operate E-170's, I don't know the name of it or the details but I know that PARC just got the contract to supply them with pilots, you might have a better chance if you put your application ahead of the crowd.

Good luck and enjoy Japan

f-100
2nd May 2009, 07:27
the dominican
hi and thanks alot for your usefull information.
i will do.
regards
amir
:):ok:

shinkai744
12th May 2009, 16:59
Thanks everyone with regards to the info. Seems like a cozy environment there. Always liked Japan and lived there for a while before.
Its been quite quiet on this thread recently and i was just wondering how is the situation with the current recruitment? As i understand, things probably got much tougher by the month as more experienced guys will be roaming around the job market... Jalways guys, carriers going burst and voluntary no pay leave on some etc.
I have recently applied for a FO position with 4500+ TT heavy jets hours and after reading the thread, seems like i am in for a tough fight as well. :(
I have a rather silly question, does Crews/Parc have any preference which countries they would rather hire from? I would guess mostly Americans after all its based there? So far, there are Australians and Europeans Just wondering if there are any asians ie. koreans, hk, singapore, malaysians employed by these agencies? Just a thought.

Fratemate
13th May 2009, 00:48
Not a silly question at all. It is true that AJX & AJV are dominated by Aussies, Kiwis and Septics. There is also a token representation from the UK, Denmark and Sweden. However, both companies also have Asian pilots, from countries such as Korea, Malaysia and, yes, Hong Kong.

There are fewer pilots from Asia than other countries but it would certainly seem that all are welcome to apply and the Japanese do not seem to be biased in theri opinions.

I was told during my interview that they like pilots from the Oceana region as the commute is obiously not as long as those travelling from further afield. However, this is no wasy a show-stopper and has not affected the fact that pilots flying for AJX & AJV live as far east as east coast USA and as far west as Ireland. No harm in applying anyway. What's the worst they can say?

widebody300er
13th May 2009, 21:13
Lots of good information thank you! Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from Parc after sending all the info?

meguro
14th May 2009, 00:52
As everyone may be aware, the recruiting has been top heavy with an over subscription of Captains. In the current recruitemnt they seek to redress this imbalance. The opinion that was expressed to me is that they are looking for young qualifiied FO's, 5000+ hours total time, experience on jets aged in their 30's.
PS. Make sure your logbook is on the level, they are looking a bit closer after a few untidy discoveries.

shinkai744
14th May 2009, 09:19
They replied me within 40 hours and said to tidy up my hours. I have about 4400++ jet hours total as FO(3 wide body jet ratings) and in 30's..
But i have some pic hours from some 18 years ago which log i lost and trying to get it re-verified from the flying school from 18 years ago.. i think chances are getting slim. :( since i read about how they are every strict to the 00:01 min.

sunchaser
17th May 2009, 17:08
Hello,
Well i just got the word that i will have an interview sometime in June for DEC on the cargo side and was wondering if anyone has interviewed the past two months with the gouge. Im getting old and need all the help i can get.

Thanks

Immigrant
18th May 2009, 14:52
a new company coming up that will operate E-170's, I don't know the name of it

I guess this is what you mentioned....
-----------------
Fuji Dream Airlines receives its first Embraer 170

February 22, 2009

Embraer has delivered the first Embraer 170 to Japan’s Fuji Dream Airlines, a company of the Suzuyo Group. The airline has one more E-170 on order, which is scheduled for delivery later this year........:ok:
---------------------

Fuji Dream Airlines receives its first Embraer 170 | Shephard Group (http://www.shephard.co.uk/news/1851/)

atpcliff
21st May 2009, 16:53
Hi!

Prior to this year, Military time was NOT COUNTED at all for the Japan contract jobs.

In Feb, 2008, I believe, the JCAB changed their minds.

Now, via CREW and PARC and ??? (the other contract agency) you need only 1000 civilian jet, and 3000 jet total (so you can use mil time for the other 2000 jet).

Good luck!

cliff
NBO

rjslim
24th May 2009, 21:31
I know it's a contract job so what happens if you leave early? It does not say anything about a training bond.

The Dominican
25th May 2009, 02:42
One of the things that will happen is that you will get branded for not having completed your contract, that is something that will follow you in any consequent interview because they are going to want to know why you didn't carry your contractual obligation. Unless you are not planning to continue on the contract work path, it is never a good thing to leave a contract unfulfilled

rjslim
26th May 2009, 17:01
Dominican.. Do you commute to MINN? Are you ex NWA? If so how is that commute?

The Dominican
26th May 2009, 21:32
Dominican.. Do you commute to MINN? Are you ex NWA? If so how is that commute?

1) Yes

2) No, former Pinnacle

3) Since the introduction of the "business class commute" option, it hasn't been a problem at all

jeh01
29th May 2009, 02:53
Fellas,

Good info. thanks. I just applied tonight, got the ad from Climbto450, just wondering: 1 Are they starting to ramp up hiring at JP Express and Air Japan and 2 What kind of shot do I have with 5500 total time and just over a 1000 jet PIC (CRJ)?

Also how long till you're contacted?

Thanks

MachDaddy
29th May 2009, 17:47
I went through the screening with about the same time as you have. Mostly RJ command time. But, that was March of 2008. Things have changed. You will be going against guys with more experience (ie. heavy & international) and B757/767 type ratings. Some even have JCAB license/certificates. So, I'd say your chances are slim. Good luck though. I think it is one of the best contract gigs around.

BTW. I did not get hired. After 6 months of waiting for the results, they finally said my score wasn't high enough to make the cut.

jeh01
29th May 2009, 22:59
Thanks MachDaddy I appreciate it I'm probably loosing my job this fall so I'm looking everywhere. Take care.

jeh

The Dominican
30th May 2009, 00:37
One thing about ANA is that they hire people and not just a resume, for starters all members of the interview panel are retired check airmen with more time in heavy Boeings and evaluating pilots than my kids have been alive so there aren't many resumes that will star struck these guys, If you know what I mean!

One very important part of the application is the autobiography section and I can't stress this enough, DO NOT LEAVE THIS PART UNFILLED!!!! Why? this is your opportunity to catch their attention and raise your hand above the crowd ( one 10,000 hour resume looks like the next 10,000 hour resume if you have 2,000 of them laying around, Right?) Tell them about you, how you started flying, tell them a "there I was on my c172" story and what you learned from it. This is a very pilot oriented company and the hiring is still done by pilots, HR just gathers and corrects the paperwork, they want to get a sense that you are interested in this gig because you want to be here and appreciate the opportunity and not just because it is a good place to wait out your recall, you dig?

Your competition is fierce, there is no denying that! but in my 27 years in the business I'm yet to find a gig where it wasn't

Good luck:ok:

Jenson Button
17th Jun 2009, 19:09
Hi folks, i have a couple of questions

1) can u count any sim time towards the 3k total ?

2) whats the outlook for the rest of 2009 rgds hiring?

rgds

Jenson

gtseraf
17th Jun 2009, 22:01
Hey Jenson, tired of F1 already??

I'm pretty sure they won't accept sim time for the 3000

The company still plans to continue hiring through 2009/2010,

good luck

Jenson Button
18th Jun 2009, 14:19
Well, I've pretty much wrapped the season up and the land of the rising sun is appealing. F1 isn't what it used to be.

i've just a 100 to go b4 reaching 3k, wondered if that makes you competitive or not. Happy to bide my time for another couple of months, but if you could use sim time, it would save the wait.

cheers

JB

constel
18th Jun 2009, 16:46
How is the medical in Japan for ANA ? Any feedback...

Hobbit
19th Jun 2009, 00:57
Jenson, I understand only fsx is allowable. Any earlier editions of microsoft flight sim won't be considered. Also time spent somewhere near the jumpseat, if the audio control panel has been adjusted, might be considered. If you have had any particularly vivid dreams about flying, that time could be considered too. I don't think I need to add that the dream would need to involve you in manipulating the controls. Good luck with the job application and don't forget that most of that time should be as PIC so you could get a direct entry command.

Fratemate
19th Jun 2009, 02:04
Jenson, of those 2900 PIC hours you have, how many are in the sim and do you really count sim time in your totals?

Of course sim time isn't included. AJV/AJX are not two-bit outfits desperate to get anybody they can to fly their aircraft. There is a great deal of genuine experience in both operations and no-one has a need to count sim time, dream time or reggo collecting time. If you've got 2900 hours PIC in aircraft larger than B737/A320 size then, yes, you are competitive; as an FO. If you've got >3000 then you're competitive for DEC.

Constel,

Read through this thread, there is plenty of info on medicals that I'm sure doens't need to be re-written.

ishi59
19th Jun 2009, 03:05
gee guys, settle down.

Maybe he's asking about the 3000 minimum TOTAL TIME required to join as an F/O!!!

Sim time is probably not accepted. If you're 100 short, better to wait till you mett the minimum requirements. The Japanese will not tolerate any "adjusting" of flight time, so best be honest. If you mess up now, you'll close the door permanently.

Fratemate
19th Jun 2009, 05:23
Fair enough, Ishi, but do you know anyone who includes the simulator in their totals, as I'm glad I don't. I just thought the question that AJV/AJX might is a bit insulting and conveyed the suggestion that we're so desperate for pilots that we'll take anyone who qualifies by virtue of totals 'factored' with sim time. I'm normally very tolerant and fall under the 'no such thing as stupid questions' banner but I have to admit this one did get under my skin a little. Maybe it's time to hit the Jetlag and calm myself with a drop or two of Kirin. 1430's not too early is it :)

oldhasbeen
19th Jun 2009, 06:41
...............although there are a couple of....... na, lets leave it at that!:suspect:

meguro
19th Jun 2009, 06:48
The JCAB are all over false log books right now and as a consequence ANA take a pretty close look, keep it straight.

Jenson Button
19th Jun 2009, 09:13
Hobbit and Fratemate, thank you for replying so honestly. In blighty and for JAA these days, you do include some sim time, for say the application of a cpl and atpl within your totals. As I no doubt expect, you probably sit in the sim several times a year for a good few hours.....no ? Made me laugh though and i'm sure the 76 oppo is great fun and a job worth protecting. I'll be patient and honest and work a couple more months to reach 3k.

If I get a shot at what sounds like a very interesting operation, I might let you have a go of my playstation....:ok:

Thanks for the input

Jenson:E:E:E

atpcliff
20th Jun 2009, 09:58
Hi!

The instructions on filling out the flight times for both CREW and PARC are not very clear.

From what I understood, they only take Capt and FO time fixed-wing time. No sim, instructor, student, FE, or anything else, including no helicopter time.

As I said, it is not easy to figure out what times are allowed or not allowed. You may want to email them if you're not sure.

Good luck!

cliff
NBO

alkor
20th Jun 2009, 13:43
Hi,

Is there any who does not commute, and actually live in Narita or nearby?

So how is the life there, can a wife find a job, how is taking care for the children, (kindergarden, schools etc)

How much to spend on the food, apartment rental?

what s the life in Japan? and during working days-how many times you get to sleep at "home".

Thanks and sorry if these questions were already asked.

Bye,
a

oldhasbeen
20th Jun 2009, 22:51
Seems to be a hell of a lot of Japanese living around Narita. If your wife wants to work, why do you?? I find moving house and/or changing the locks whilst the kids are at school usually takes care of them. How much is food???..... How much do you eat?? I usually sleep at home once a day( and almost always at night time).
There's almost 18 pages of this stuff.. a quick search will answer all your questions. That way you won't get a smart arse dingbat like me answering!!:}

Fratemate
21st Jun 2009, 11:52
You'll never know unless you try. As with most airlines, it's not all about hours. You have greater than the minimum number required so you get a tick in the box. You don't have to be type rated but, for obvious reasons, they're going to like it when someone has flown the 767 before.

At the moment there's a lot of applicants from the USA but, from the horses mouth, they don't necessarily want people from just one country/background. Likewise, I would suggest that applying whilst still employed conveys the better impression of someone who wants to fly for AJV/AJX, rather than someone who has to because he's got no choice as his airline's gone tits up.

At the end of the day you can't do any harm by trying. A great deal of emphasis is placed on the simulator check, so if you can ace this over someone who's got loads of Boeing time then you're in with a better chance than him. Of course, if you start spitting and swearing in the interview then you're not likely to impress but even the poms that I know can behave themselves for that long :)

Absolutely
23rd Jun 2009, 02:31
Dry Tanks,

The contract companies don't give a rats a$$ what type rating you have. As long as you have the basic hours requirements they will forward your name to the Japanese. Get your application in if you're interested.

The Yank
23rd Jun 2009, 08:02
Does anybody know if there are any interviews scheduled for the next month? I have applied through Parc and they still have not had a response back yet.
At least that's what I have been told...

I have read on this thread that most people applying have a lot of time so maybe I just didn't make the current minimums. I'm a little short on glass time.

JAA ATPL
5000+ tt
1800 747 classic
500 737NG

flierm
23rd Jun 2009, 20:00
Does anyone know for sure how the tax exempt for US citizen's work. I heard that since you will be in the US for more than 30 days for the year excluding duty time that you are not eleigible for the tax exemption. Trying to read the tax code...........Easier to ask someone here with accurate knowledge.

Thanks,
Mark

Talon757
24th Jun 2009, 00:31
If you are a U.S. citizen and hired through CReW then you'll have your taxes and social security withheld normally. CReW is a U.S. company and they are the ones cutting your paycheck. If you are hired through Parc then you are responsible for making quarterly payments of your taxes. The tax exemption of which you speak is only for expats living out of the U.S. continually. To qualify you have to not set foot in the U.S more than 35 days in the year. This is a commuting contract so that doesn't apply. Your 10 days off per month add up to 120 days.

flierm
24th Jun 2009, 01:16
That's what I thought thanks for confiming.
Thanks,
Mark

crj705
24th Jun 2009, 04:00
Take a look at IRS publication 54 and the form 2555 and I think that will answer most of your questions. I have filed under the exclusion for the past 2 years, but I no longer live in the US.

The short version is you have to have income earned from work overseas. Even if you work with Crew, you can still qualify because your income is for work performed overseas.

You must then have a foreign tax home. You would probably meet this too, since you are working in Japan.

The most difficult part is the 3rd test. You must be in outside of the US for 330 days OR be a bona fide resident of another country.

If you are a bona fide resident, then there is no limit on the number of days you can spend in the US. What makes you a bona fide resident of a foreign country? Take a look at form 2555 and there is a series of questions you are asked. Where does your family live? If they are still in the US and you go back to see them every month, you don't qualify. Did you have a house prior to accepting your assignment overseas? Do you still have it? Rent it out? Sell it? Still live in it? Do you have a visa for your country of residence?

The bona fide residence test is very subjective. Basically, you file under the test and it is up to the IRS if you qualify or not. Should you file using the exemption and the IRS later determine that you don't qualify, you are going to owe a lot of money, plus penalty, plus interest.

With Obama's habit of spending, he will be looking for money from every place he can get it. I guarantee you will see audits of expats increase in the coming year because we are easy targets. You always tax those who can't vote you out of office (think high hotel and car rental taxes....the people paying those outrageous taxes don't vote for the politicians that levy them) and expats are a tiny group with comparitively high incomes.

Last thing to remember....With the IRS, the burden of proof lies with you. If you claim it, and can't back it up, you owe them.

flierm
24th Jun 2009, 14:41
Hello,

Is there a way to check your BMI at home. Does anyone know if while at traning do you have to share a room with someone for 6 months or is it a single?
Cheers,
Mark

flierm
24th Jun 2009, 14:47
CRJ705,

Thanks for the info. Sounds best not to even mess with it. I was reading your past posts when you started the entire process. Are still enjoying it? If you get a chance can you give an example of a typical trip. Are you still able to get hotels for 50.00 a night there.
Sorry, bunch of questions in there.
Cheers,
Mark

Talon757
24th Jun 2009, 15:21
Here's the formula from the JCAB AME manual:

BMI = body weight (kg) / height (m)2 and they are looking for a number under 30. That is meters squared, not times two. Just couldn't get this software to do a superscript. :)

crj705
24th Jun 2009, 21:56
Here is an easy BMI calculator. It is nothing more than a mathematical ratio of your height to your weight.

Calculate your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/)

If you come with AJX, you are given your own furnished apartment in Tokyo. AJV is provided with single hotel rooms.

crj705
24th Jun 2009, 22:00
I still enjoy it very much. Once training is over, it has to be one of the better jobs out there, especially for an American in the current global economy. When I came here, I was only planning on staying for 1 or 2 contracts and then returning home, but now I am planning on staying as long as we are needed.

I am heading out the door now for a trip, but will try to post the current flights we do when I get back. Unless someone else beats me to it.

Hotels are now around 55$ per night I think.. Depending on the Yen. I am in an apartment so I don't keep up with it too much.

crj705
26th Jun 2009, 05:06
The schedule here is not too bad. The worst flight we have is Guangzhou, China and return on the same day. It is 9+ hours of flying and just a really really long day. Thankfully, it ends next week so you won't have to worry about that. As for the other flights we do:

NRT-HNL-NRT. Departs NRT around 9pm. Arrives about 9am HNL time. Rest of the day off. Return next morning departs at 9am and you arrive in NRT about 3pm. This is done with only 2 pilots....no relief crew

NRT-HKG-NRT. Depart around 5pm and arrive in HKG abot 11pm. Return flight leaves late the next night, and arrives in Haneda at about 6am. Taxi back to NRT.

NRT-SIN-NRT. Departs around 4pm and arrives SIN about 11pm. Off all next day. Return next day in morning to arrive in Japan about 4pm.

NRT-BKK-NRT. Scheduled to start in November. Same pattern as SIN above.

NRT-TPE-NRT. Departs about 5pm and arrives about 9pm. Short overnight and return early next morning to arrive in Japan about 1 or 2pm.

NRT-PVG-NRT
NRT-DLC-NRT Both day trips to china. DLC leaves in the morning and gets back early afternoon. PVG leaves around lunch time and gets back about 9pm.

You will flight right about your guarantee (70 hours) per month. In the past, we have a pretty good bit of overtime, but as of late, it has dropped off. We have pilots that have requested to work part time because we are slightly overstaffed at the moment.

You will always get your 10 days off in a row to go home. You don't bid a schedule like we are use to doing in the US. You simply tell the scheduler where you want your 10 days, and he builds your schedule around it. He does his best to give you a late start on your first day and an early finish on your last but you really have no control over what the company does with you when you are here to work.

I have always gotten the days off that I requested, but as the company grows, I am sure that will be more difficult but the scheduler is pretty amazing and works hard to accommodate every request.

4PW's
26th Jun 2009, 09:13
Thanks for adding that info, 705.

pippobaudo
26th Jun 2009, 12:35
Hi guys!
just a quick question: i'm already type-rated on B767 with around 4200 TT (more or less 1500 with heavy jets) and JAR ATPL.
Do i need to follow the training in Tokyo (a read about a 5/6 months period) or if i pass the screening i'll start to work immediatly?:confused:
Is there a BMI around 42 a problem? And a tattoo?
Thanks you for the info:ok:
Pippo

flierm
26th Jun 2009, 13:10
Thanks for the posting.
Mark

The Dominican
26th Jun 2009, 14:02
Hi guys!
just a quick question: i'm already type-rated on B767 with around 4200 TT (more or less 1500 with heavy jets) and JAR ATPL.
Do i need to follow the training in Tokyo (a read about a 5/6 months period) or if i pass the screening i'll start to work immediatly?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif
Is there a BMI around 42 a problem? And a tattoo?
Thanks you for the infohttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
Pippo

Regardless of previous experience, types, you will endure the entire training period in Japan and with a BMI of anything above 30 they won't accept your application

BritishGuy
26th Jun 2009, 16:19
I just put in my application about 2 days ago through Parc. I know the competition is tough, but I guess you have to be 'in it to win it'. My BMI is at 23.0 so that gives me hope (but I think that's the easy part!) Hahahhaha! I so hope I can join you guys out there! So excited having just put my application in. Does anyone have a 'ball park figure' of when (or if) I will (may) get a call/letter/email on having been selected to interview (having gone though Parc)?

All responses are kindly appreciated.

pippobaudo
26th Jun 2009, 17:28
Wow....i made a mistake in calculate the BMI:ugh:
My real one is 23.1, so i'm in......
And what about tattoos?:eek:

oldhasbeen
27th Jun 2009, 00:18
if you're that far out on your BMI calculation, you may want to reconsider your career choice. May I suggest a job on Wall St or even politics! As for tatts, a few guys in Japan have them...... they're usually seen driving round in black flashy cars with huge exhaust manifolds!!!!:eek:

pippobaudo
27th Jun 2009, 13:09
Wow.......considering that i'm a bad bad former military pilot.......i'm gonna stop my "japanese" idea!!!:eek:
Thank's guys:cool:

Fratemate
1st Jul 2009, 11:55
Umm, not very good at the medical questions, so haven't done those. I've never had call to read the small print; so sorry for being no help there.

Is it possible to get 10 days at the end of one month and 10 at the start of the next, giving 20 days off in a row? Once a year would be gold. Yes, you can certainly do this with AJV. Some guys do it every other month, so once a year wouldn’t be a problem (apart from the obvious Christmas/New Year when you take your turn).

You have to check out of your hotel when on a turn-around flight to Hong Kong or similar, yeah? Yes, if you’re going away overnight then 99.9% of times you will check out, as paying for a hotel when you’re not there is silly.

Is that a drag for you, packing your suitcase, taking it with you on day trips, 10 day trips and all in between? No, it’s not that bad. First of all the hotel has a bag room that you can leave your unwanted stuff in. Most people have some form of big case they leave at the hotel and take the stuff they need for a trip in a smaller case. Again, from an AJV point of view, the longest you’re really going to go away is 7 days on a States trip but this has all changed and you won’t be away that long, as it stands at the moment. Usually you’ll go NRT-Somewhere-KIX-Somewhere-NRT and be away 5 days, getting back on the 5th day. You’ll do plenty of ‘day trips’ (read, flying through the night but away for 24hrs ish) and your blank days will (usually) be spent in NRT. (Don’t cane me here guys, I said ‘usually’).

Public transport to work during training is covered. What about line ops? How do you get to work? There’s a hotel bus that goes to the airport and back again...that’s what we use. If you’ve got to deadhead somewhere (e.g. NRT-HND-KIX), then it’s hotel bus to the airport, friendly limousine bus to HND and the fly to KIX. You keep the limo bus receipt and that gets refunded and the DH tickets are emailed to you.

Do the trains cover all the flight schedules? Umm, lost me there. What trains? We ‘live’ in the Excel and Garden Hotels, so there’s no need for trains to work.

Big question: how do you keep fit? Are there gyms in the hotel with weight lifting equipment and elliptical trainers, running machines, bikes and so on? Well, it’s quite a steep set of steps from the bus drop-off point in town all the way to the top of town and the Barge/Jetlag, so that must burn at least 20 calories. But seriously folks, both hotels have gyms. The Excel (where most people lounge around) has treadmills, crap elliptical things, a bike and weights. It also has a pool, whereas the Gardens doesn’t. That’s all free, of course. Going through training is different. The Mitsui Garden Hotel for the AJV boys doesn’t have a gym but some join Tipness, just up the road, and pay to lose heartbeats. AJX have apartments during training but I have no idea of their exercise facilities. There are also some quite pleasant runs near the hotels.

Is the internet available in the room (probably a dumb question, and one that's answered on the thread, but one I'd really like to ask again because of the level of importance). Yes. In the Excel it’s free, in the Gardens you pay. KIX (ANA Gate Tower ) for AJV, it’s free. All the Skype you can eat and downloading movies to make up for the lack of entertainment on TV.

New B767 freighters. Probably no new type coming then. Or is that on the cards? They talked about the 777 last year but, not surprisingly, it’s gone very quiet on that front. Plan on flying the 767 and nothing else and you won’t be disappointed. After doing the training course, that lovely JCAB seem to think is necessary, you’ll be quite glad to not convert onto another type with a 3 week course crammed into 20!

I read some have remained in Japan beyond the five year contract. Might have missed this, but are you back to year one salary? No. Apparently, according to Parc, a new contract is negotiated but I’m not in a position to say what the pay increments are like after the initial 5 year contract.

Biggie: Can a non resident like yourselves open a bank account in Japan? I’m 99% positive that’s a ‘no’. I can’t really see why you’d want to (there’s ATMs etc around the place that will accept your foreign devil cards) but I’m pretty certain that’s for Japanese visa holders only. Willing to be corrected!

Can the aforementioned acquire a Japanese driver's licence? You can get a driving licence but you’ve got a limited time to do so. Basically, when you go through training you end up getting an alien registration card. This is handed back when training is complete. With this card you can get a driving licence (and a mobile phone if you want one in addition to the one the Company gives you). If you’re a proper driver and have been taught to drive on the correct side of the road then they’ll give you a licence based on your existing one. If you’re American then you clearly don’t know what you’re doing, so the Japanese will test you. From what I hear, expect to fail a couple of times just because that’s what they do....not because you’re no good.

One last one, quite possibly answered already, but you can rent an apartment, right? Yes, you can. Generally, 2 or 3 people rent together as the allowances you get will not cover the price by yourself. Not all landlords will rent to foreign devils but there are well established areas where our boys hang out together and cook romantic meals for each other in their apartments :}

Fratemate
1st Jul 2009, 12:51
No worries mate. As far as Parc & CReW are concerned they are pretty well as good as each other and I'd have no snags with either. However, if you're from the States (your profile doesn't say) then CReW might be the better option, as they have a better grasp of things Yanky, like US taxes etc. Anywhere else in the world and I would recommend Parc. I'm with them and have only good things to say about them. I'm sure the girls at Parc have a good idea about the US way of doing things but I reckon CReW have got the edge in the respect.

crj705
1st Jul 2009, 14:04
To open a bank account, you have to have an Alien Registration Card. If you open the account during training, then it is no problem. After that, not possible.

Same with driver's license and non-prepaid mobile phones...All require an Alien Registration Card.

flyby71
3rd Jul 2009, 00:52
Did anybody actually got the call for the upcoming interviews in July? I filled up their app with ANA/AJA logo on it about 2 weeks ago and still have not heard anything back. Does anyone know when the interviews are suppose to take place?

JV
6th Jul 2009, 23:25
I've heard nothing either. Sent in the application pack about one month ago. Would be good to know whether it's on or whether it's off. :hmm:

BritishGuy
7th Jul 2009, 04:37
Ditto. Sent it off about 2 weeks ago and am anxiously waiting.

Fratemate
8th Jul 2009, 01:00
I filled up their app with ANA/AJA logo on it about 2 weeks ago

Wrong company for this thread.

Guys,

The best people to speak to for this type of informaton are the contract agencies. There are plenty of rumours around AJV/AJX about who is and who isn't screening in the future but nobody really knows, apart from Parc etc. They are there to act as your agent, so don't be afraid to use them. If you called every day then I could understand them getting cheesed off but there's nothing wrong with checking up on the progress of your application.

For what it's worth; AJV have been screening over the last couple of days and, from what we've been told, are running a course of 4 every other month for the foreseeable future. Quite how long that is we have no idea but the ANA group is preparing itself to take advantage of the extension to NRT's B runway and HND's new runway and for that they need pilots, so read into that what you will.

Pin Head
19th Jul 2009, 06:28
If you have the 767 rating already, does that reduce your 6mth spell in the classroom? Anything less than the mentioned 6mths?

gtseraf
19th Jul 2009, 06:44
Hello Pinhead

Having a 767/757 COMMAND type rating is useful. It means you will not have to do the typem rating sim check.

Depending on whether your sim partner is typed or not, it may well reduce the time you will be spending enjoying ANA's hospitality at the training centre.

It may mean about a month or so less at the training centre. The prpeparation for air law, radio licence and ATPL check ride will still require about 4 months or so.

The line training will not be affected, as an F/O about 2 months, including ground schools, Capt about 3 months.

You can expect 21 days off between the sim and the line training

These times will vary from course to course depending on availability of JCAB checkers, the composition of the course, holidays and just about anything else you can think of.

By the way, some of the recent new hires were under the impression the Licence endorsement required sitting all the ATPL subjects, as in the UK system. This is not the case. Only exams required are Air Law, Radio licence and the type rating stuff.

Good luck

fourgolds
21st Jul 2009, 09:39
Greetings All in these difficult times.

I was wandering if there are any Canadians flying for AJX/AJV or other Japanese 767 contracts.

Three questions please folks ;

1) How's the commute to YVR/YYZ ( I see Air Canada fly direct to YVR).
Is the roster published in time to allow you to buy a confirmed conomy
seat in time ? ( i.e how long before the next month roster does the
roster come out ?)
How is the commute really and how much time do you really spend at
home each month ?

2) Is there a tax treaty between Canada/Japan ? i.e. Can the tax be
avoided / juggled ?

3) Are there still more 767,s coming ?

Thanks all.

HandoverRichard
21st Jul 2009, 13:19
Hi,

I've just started looking into these two operations myself, and hope some of you there currently might be able and kind enough to answer a few questions.

Does either AJV/AJX seem to give a higher chance at an interview sooner than the other?

Fratemate, if you're back on here, you replied that 'this is all changing' in reference to the AJV USA flights, are USA flights no more? (Wikipedia seems to imply this).

Also, from your (very useful) reply I take it that some of the guys rent and others stay in hotels. Is it generally commuting guys in hotels and those residing in Japan renting? Do any of the 'commuters' rent a pad?

Does either fleet appear to offer a quicker chance at upgrade than the other?

Do all agencies require the detail to the decimal point that PARC requires? Is it truly necessary to add up every x/country (non-instructing) flight? Is there an easier way eg only include all 'airline' x/country time?

One small concern is that they are constantly recruiting, but in all there are only 5(?) a/c between the two fleets. Is there a high attrition rate on line, is there a big drop-out rate in the school, or is the decimal point precision on the application just too much for most people to bother with?

The application now asks if you will commute, then, if you are commuting from outside of Asia/Pac region, are you willing to relocate, and where to? Is this a loaded question... is there a preference (or unspoken 'requirement') for commuting from within the Asia/Pac region?

All replies are really appreciated.

HandOverDick

(PS. it's nice to see a thread which is about the subject and not a forum for airing personal issues...is that an indication that it's mostly a happy home?)

Talon757
21st Jul 2009, 15:36
These contracts are commuting contracts by design and living in Japan really isn't an option. It is theoretically possible but there would be a tremendous amount of hoops to jump through. This info comes directly from a representative during the interview process. As such, taxes in your home country will be your responsibility. If you are a U. S. citizen and are hired through CReW your taxes are taken out of your paycheck just like any other employer since CReW is a U. S. company. If you are a U. S. citizen and are hired through PARC the quarterly tax payments are your responsibility. I'm pretty certain that will also be the case with either company should you be a citizen of Canada.

oldhasbeen
21st Jul 2009, 22:14
Handoverdick ( not sure if that's where you come from or a dubious hobbie , but anyway) , the boys ( and now one girl) choose the apartment or hotel option depending on their own circumstance. Doesn't matter, we are all commuters and some like to spend some more time than others in hotel rooms. AJV , at the moment don't spend as much time in NRT as AJX and so more seem to like the hotel than the monthly expense of an apartment.
5 a/c would have more to do with AOC,s than reality. AJX uses about 5 or 6 of 18 ANA's 767's to do there flying on any given day and AJV about the same ( give or take).
Commuting from ASia/Pac is just easier. Same or close to same time zones although don't know why the hell it should matter to anyone else.
Hope this helps.

Fratemate
22nd Jul 2009, 03:00
Cease your wandering, 4 Golds and wonder some instead :)

AJV has 2 Canucks working for them. I know one of them does not commute to Canada but I can't say about the other as I have no idea. Yeah, not useful but it does answer the question about having Canadians working for the Company.

Your roster is built around your days off, so you can 99.9% guarantee you'll get the days off you ask for. In AJX you get 10 days off and in AJV you get 11. You also get 2 vacation days/month which you can add to that or save for later use, as you wish. The Company will apply for your tickets on your behalf (ZED, economy or business) and you get them in plenty of time to travel. Most of the time the Company will try to get you back to NRT early on your last day of work, so it is possible to catch your flight home that day. I have no idea on Canadian timings, so it's best just to look at the appropriate timetables. Needless to say, there are plenty of Americans who do this job and they seem to be as happy as anyone can be with their lot (short of winning the lottery and not having to go to work). I know it's not Canada but for me, commuting to Oz, of the 11 days off I actually will spend 10 days and 11 hours actually in my house.

Don't know anything about Canadian tax but, yes, we do have more 767s coming into AJV. We've just got our latest BCF, so that brings us up to 4 767Fs and 3 767BCFs and we have another 4 BCFs coming eventually to give us 11 in total.

Fratemate
22nd Jul 2009, 03:48
Hi Pinhead,

gtseraf has answered your question regarding the small reduction in time of the course if you're paired up with another rated guy but I would just point out one thing in case some people get their hopes up a bit too high. I would suggest 21 days off between sim and route training is not the norm. Good on anyone who, by virtue of JCAB timings, instructor availability, whatever, gets to go home for a decent spell, like 21 days but, more normally, you can expect to get 10 days off between sims and route training. They plan on 10 and tell you this on your indoctrination day. Of course, Xmas, New Year etc can all change things, so it's not absolutely set in stone but we certainly got 10 and I believe most guys do. Well done to gtseraf if he managed more whilst we soldiered on working :)

Handover,

I would think AJV would provide a better chance of being offered the interview. I say this because AJV are still recruiting direct entry captains, whereas AJX are not. Surely this must mean more people being interviewed but each course has 4 from AJV and 4 from AJX, so not sure my maths work out for actually getting the job.

Regarding the States trips; we used to do 5-6 per week to ANC and onwards to ORD. Because the USA is now poor and doesn't send boxes to Japan any more (I think I exaggerate a little) we have had this cut to one per week. Latest rumour control has it that this will go completely pretty soon. Even more scurilous rumour has it that we may, perhaps, possibly be going to HNL instead but I wouldn't go buying garish shirts too soon based on such mutterings :ok:

The current thinking from both AJV and AJX is that you'll get the opportunity to upgrade after about 3.5 years. I really cannot say if this policy will continue as the Company changes shape but long may it.

I believe all agencies require accurate logbook figures because JCAB will require the same when you go to take your tests. Your Japanese logbooks are kept to the minute, so that gives you a little idea of their attitude. I know a good deal of logbooks do not have a cross country column (Japanese ones do, of course), so it's not possible to be absolutely precise. However, all your airline flying will be cross country (unless you know of an airline that flies around circuits), so really you just have to deduct the time that was spent in those formative years bashing the circuit in a Cessna. For me, if any flight went AAA-AAA then I didn't count it as cross country, all other flights were and everybody seemed quite happy with my logbook. At the end of the day, it's just more numbers to keep JCAB happy and reassured that you have the 100 P1(?) required to hold a Japanese ATPL.

See above for aircraft numbers. Yes, we do wonder (or wander for some :ok:) why they keep recruiting captains into AJV. I know freight has that lower-order tag attached to it and in good times it might be necessary to offer DECs just to get people through the door. However, I believe we do have quite enough captains to run the show and there is no shortage of pilots looking for jobs at the moment. Clearly many are put off by the l....o...n....g training course and a lot want to stay in their home country, rather than go to Japan to go to work. But, answering your question; no, the failure rate is not high at all. If the Co likes you and you've tried hard during your training and have the right attitude (probably most important of all) then even if you do screw the pooch on a sim check or whatever, then they'll give you another crack at it. I'm actually hard-pressed to think of anyone who has failed anything recently.

As far as relocating, I don't think it's a loaded question. Some people take the opportunity to do something different and move, for instance, to Thailand and experience something they wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. Others clearly are not able to do this with kids in school, wives that want to stay put etc etc. The Company will obviously save a bit of money if it can buy tickets to closer destinations but I don't really think that is much of a factor with intra-airline rates. At the end of the day, if you want to stay in the UK, for instance, and accept the reduction in time off that comes as a result of an extended commute, then the Co will honour their commitment. I do not know of anybody that has been required to move and we have people who live as far west as the UK, as far east as East Coast USA and even some strange folk who inhabit a sheep infested island tha's a long way south from Japan. Up to you whether you tick the box of course but just ensure you're really willing if they did ask you to move. If you're not, just don't tick it and be ready to expalin why if asked......not that I can imagine the Japanese being so rude as to ask you that.

fourgolds
22nd Jul 2009, 11:38
Fratemate , you are a gent. Many thanks , its a tough climate to make a decision to leave an established " secure ? " job and change. All counsel helps.

Pin Head
22nd Jul 2009, 19:14
Does anyone have anymore company info?

I assume 767F equals freightors and the other is in PAX config?