PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Airlines, Airports & Routes (https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes-85/)
-   -   Jet2-5 (https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/600427-jet2-5-a.html)

LBIA 23rd Oct 2019 13:33


Originally Posted by azz767 (Post 10601488)
That was the point I was trying to raise. When the initial rumour was 4 A321's I assumed it would have been the 4 that TCX owned outright, but now the figure is 7 I'm thinking they may be leased.

It will be interesting to see if they're cheaper older frames (less sharklets) or whether they are newer more expensive frames (with sharklets). With Jet 2's history of 2nd hand frames you would say the former, however if they are intended as genuine 757 replacements the sharkleted ones would make more sense.

I understand it includes the 4x Airbus A321-231's G-TCVA/B/C/D (ex Monarch & Thomas Cook) machines which are currently sat in storage at Lasham.

Plane.Silly 23rd Oct 2019 15:25


Originally Posted by LBIA (Post 10601494)
I understand it includes the 4x Airbus A321-231's G-TCVA/B/C/D (ex Monarch & Thomas Cook) machines which are currently sat in storage at Lasham.

If thats true, thats a great addition for Jet2, all four are only 5/6 years old. They'll be sure to get their money's worth out of them

Yeehaw22 23rd Oct 2019 15:37

But would also mean that they are getting a new type with 2 engine variants? As the ex MON/TCX ones have v2500s and the rest of the ex TCX fleet are Cfms I believe. Unless the other 3 are not TCX aircraft.

nowhereasfiled 23rd Oct 2019 18:31


Originally Posted by azz767 (Post 10600963)
Any word on whether they will be owned or leased?

theyíll be owned.

Bournemouthair 23rd Oct 2019 19:22


Originally Posted by Yeehaw22 (Post 10601576)
But would also mean that they are getting a new type with 2 engine variants? As the ex MON/TCX ones have v2500s and the rest of the ex TCX fleet are Cfms I believe. Unless the other 3 are not TCX aircraft.


I guess it would be these ex monarch one on the lasham video on youtube


nowhereasfiled 23rd Oct 2019 19:40


Originally Posted by LBIA (Post 10601494)
I understand it includes the 4x Airbus A321-231's G-TCVA/B/C/D (ex Monarch & Thomas Cook) machines which are currently sat in storage at Lasham.

Dont think this is the case.
far as Iím aware, itís going to be:
DD - Shannon
DP - Shannon
DE - Shannon
DK - Shannon
DB - Shannon
DG - Shannon
And Iím unsure of the 7th.

LBAflyer22 23rd Oct 2019 20:35


Originally Posted by rog747 (Post 10601218)
HM Govt has lifted the air travel ban into and out of SSH for UK flights -
SSH was a huge market in its hey day especially in the winter, but the Egypt downturn was pivotal in Monarch's demise.
Jet2 have wisely stayed well clear of Egypt and Tunisia up to now - I wonder what they are thinking?


Originally Posted by The AvgasDinosaur (Post 10601253)
As the cousins would say ĎStay the hell out of Dodge Cityí !!
Be lucky
David

I believe Jet2/Jet2holidays were weeks away from announcing SSH and HRG way back in 2015 just before Metrojet went down. Them plans become shelved and the company moved on. Since then we've lost ZB and TC both of whom where big in the SSH market. That leaves just TUI and easyJet (for seat only) in the market plus other charter company (enter air has come forward in partnership with Red Sea Holidays). I suspect it will be on the radar within a couple of years defiantly. Year round, profitable year round (Monarch increased SSH every winter), both SSH could be served from all 9 bases, HRG most. I can see once stabilised a Jet2 presence will be good for Egypt.

Mr @ Spotty M 23rd Oct 2019 20:45

The ex Mon a/c were not owned by TCX, so are unlikely to be the ones for Jet2.
The CFM A321 in my opinion is not the best version for Jet2 because of the thrust available, which reduces range.
I might however be wide of the mark.

LiamNCL 23rd Oct 2019 21:22


Originally Posted by Mr @ Spotty M (Post 10601846)
The ex Mon a/c were not owned by TCX, so are unlikely to be the ones for Jet2.
The CFM A321 in my opinion is not the best version for Jet2 because of the thrust available, which reduces range.
I might however be wide of the mark.

Depends what version A321 ? The Sharklet A321 was often on sectors all the way down to RMF , SID & HRG way beyond where Jet2 currently operate to with the furthest being Canarys and Cyprus.

Yeehaw22 23rd Oct 2019 21:44


Originally Posted by Mr @ Spotty M (Post 10601846)
The ex Mon a/c were not owned by TCX, so are unlikely to be the ones for Jet2.
The CFM A321 in my opinion is not the best version for Jet2 because of the thrust available, which reduces range.
I might however be wide of the mark.

The cfm and v2500 (a5) have the same thrust rating? The cfm is believed to drink a little more fuel (and oil) than the v25 but both will have more than enough range to cope with any of jet2's routes. Jet2 are very savvy so I would be amazed if they introduced 2 different engine types on such a small sub fleet. It just brings complexity and cost.

From my experience working on both, the Cfm is a FAR better engine.

sinbad73 23rd Oct 2019 22:03


Originally Posted by LBIA (Post 10600796)
Jet2 just put on sale winter 2020 New York flights using Airbus A330's from BHX, NCL, MAN & EMA & Boeing 757-200 from LBA

https://www.jet2.com/News/Enjoy_more..._in_Winter_20/
  • Birmingham: 3x flights = 19th November / 6th & 13th December
  • Newcastle: 4x flights = 22nd & 26th / November, 3rd & 17th December
  • Manchester: 7x Flights = 27th & 30th November / 4th, 7th,11th, 14th & 18th December
  • Leeds Bradford: 3x flights = 3rd, 10th & 17th December
  • East Midlands: 1x flight = 10th December

You forgot:
  • Glasgow: 1x flight = 29th November

FlyingScotland 23rd Oct 2019 22:07

Another fine example of GLA being forgotten about simply because it's in Scotland.

MKY661 23rd Oct 2019 22:26

Jethros shows that two G-TCV* A321's are destined for Jet2

Skipness One Foxtrot 23rd Oct 2019 23:44

I believe G-GDFG has been retired? Will all the B733s be gone by the summer?

Mooncrest 24th Oct 2019 06:41

AFAIK the 733s will still be around next summer but I don't know beyond that. You could be right about GDFG - I haven't seen it for a while. It's quite likely that CELE will call it a day this week.

Fly757X 24th Oct 2019 06:49


Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot (Post 10601979)
I believe G-GDFG has been retired? Will all the B733s be gone by the summer?

Its away to Dublin for a check of some description.

rog747 24th Oct 2019 08:27


Originally Posted by LBAflyer22 (Post 10601837)
I believe Jet2/Jet2holidays were weeks away from announcing SSH and HRG way back in 2015 just before Metrojet went down. The plans become shelved.
I suspect it will be on the radar within a couple of years defiantly. Year round, profitable year round (Monarch increased SSH every winter), both SSH could be served from all 9 bases, HRG most. I can see once stabilised a Jet2 presence will be good for Egypt.

Umm - sorry old chap but that region will never ''become stabilised'' in the near term, which is why Jet2 have stayed well clear - Yes the locals want us Brits back in their hotels but........

Yes I agree it is a strong market potential from all over the UK and many SSH holiday regulars will be booking as we speak for their dose of winter sun - Many having 2 such holidays there a year.
However, all we need is one more serious event in the region and it will be ''brakes on'' again.

I'm not so sure if Jet2 will dip their toes in this market despite the huge temptations for a quick £.

116d 24th Oct 2019 11:39


Originally Posted by rog747 (Post 10602158)
Umm - sorry old chap but that region will never ''become stabilised'' in the near term, which is why Jet2 have stayed well clear - Yes the locals want us Brits back in their hotels but........

Yes I agree it is a strong market potential from all over the UK and many SSH holiday regulars will be booking as we speak for their dose of winter sun - Many having 2 such holidays there a year.
However, all we need is one more serious event in the region and it will be ''brakes on'' again.

I'm not so sure if Jet2 will dip their toes in this market despite the huge temptations for a quick £.

I suspect they've also got their hands full with expanding to cover for the loss of Thomas Cook on other routes. It seemed to me the green light to lift the travel ban to Sharm-el-Sheikh came out of the blue.

It's an interesting dilemma for airlines and how they deploy capacity: do they stick to "safe" destinations such as Spain and Greece by plugging the gap left vacant by Thomas Cook knowing they will probably be successful, or do they risk a return to a destination which was popular before the travel ban was imposed but is an unknown whether that demand will return in light of this week's developments?

brian_dromey 24th Oct 2019 11:54


Originally Posted by 116d (Post 10602287)
It's an interesting dilemma for airlines and how they deploy capacity: do they stick to "safe" destinations such as Spain and Greece by plugging the gap left vacant by Thomas Cook knowing they will probably be successful, or do they risk a return to a destination which was popular before the travel ban was imposed but is an unknown whether that demand will return in light of this week's developments?

I imagine it will be a softly-softly approach. It might be worth remembering that Jet2 have pretty large in-resort operations so if they do launch SSH it would be from multiple bases. This increases the risk for Jet2, if holidays have to be cancelled at short notice. TUI have an advantage in that they can spread the risk across the various European arms of the company. Its also a bit late to get things on-sale for next summer, aircraft and hotels have already been contracted.

As you say with the opportunity to fill some or most of the TCX markets I think Jet2 will have their hands full in summer 2020.

LBAflyer22 24th Oct 2019 13:01


Originally Posted by rog747 (Post 10602158)
Umm - sorry old chap but that region will never ''become stabilised'' in the near term, which is why Jet2 have stayed well clear - Yes the locals want us Brits back in their hotels but........

Yes I agree it is a strong market potential from all over the UK and many SSH holiday regulars will be booking as we speak for their dose of winter sun - Many having 2 such holidays there a year.
However, all we need is one more serious event in the region and it will be ''brakes on'' again.

I'm not so sure if Jet2 will dip their toes in this market despite the huge temptations for a quick £.

Wasn't getting at the region but more at the market. Which it will. British public are fickle. I travelled there in 2012 - felt so safe in SSH. Went with Monarch - planes were full. They went 6 weekly i believe in the height of winter from MAN alone.

Jet2 so close to announcing it back in 2015 i suspect it may come up on the radar relatively soon. Maybe within a couple of years. Maybe not at all. It's a way of utilising the aircraft, especially in Winter, and filling them. The markets no longer have Monarch or Thomas Cook. So Jet2 no longer have as stiff competition as they would have from Monarch and Thomas cook. They've also changed from 2015 - they have BHX and STN as bases. Cover most of the country.

I understand it is one of those - if something happens breaks quickly get applied - but Jet2 are always quick to respond as they did when Turkey declined a couple of years ago. Who knows we will see.


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:08.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.