Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Manchester-3

Old 19th Jan 2023, 12:24
  #2221 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: stockport
Posts: 503
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cumbrianboy
That list must have the wrong title, surely MAN makes it into the 10 worst airports, in fact I'd say it is THE worst airport I have ever used!
Since management changes all running pretty well except with IT outage the other day which can and does happen anywhere Obvious you don`t use many airports cumbriaboy
because i can think of many a lot worse.
chaps1954 is online now  
Old 19th Jan 2023, 12:38
  #2222 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Age: 63
Posts: 1,273
Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by SCFC1EP
Read for a laugh

the Consumer Choice Center has unveiled the results of its first annual European Airport Consumer Index, highlighting the top 10 airports in Europe in terms of their ease of use for passengers. We have all the details of the top 10 and we find out

This is the first index of its kind in Europe, and aims to inform both consumers and managers as to which airports best accommodate passengers. The top 10 best airports in Europe for passenger ease of use are as follows:
  1. Brussels Airport
  2. Zurich Airport
  3. Düsseldorf Airport
  4. Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport
  5. Manchester Airport
  6. Copenhagen Airport
  7. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
  8. Stockholm Arlanda Airport
  9. Frankfurt am Main Airport
  10. Munich Airport
Well I used most of those last year and I would query Manchester and Brussels being in the list. I have not been to Düsseldorf for a while so could not comment on that one. I used Copenhagen a lot during Covid as it was the easiest way home from Munich and quite liked it however there were very few passengers. I use Munich almost weekly and rate it highly though as using LH we use the new terminal and I hear LCC terminal is not so good. However Manchester being in the list is a little unbelievable given the issues they appear to have on a regular basis, snow this morning I see again.

Cheers
Mr Mac
Mr Mac is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2023, 16:21
  #2223 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: SYD
Posts: 538
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It is difficult to comment without knowing the methodology used. However, Manchester is like three airports in one with all three terminals offering a completely different customer experience from each other. It is entirely possible to have a good journey departing from T2. I also find T3 a pleasant space at quieter times when it is not rammed. T1 is unlikely to win any accolades for departures. In the case of incoming passengers, all three terminals are capable of offering a very quick and painless arrivals experience, and they frequently do. Customers appreciate that and will mark accordingly. I've had far more good experiences using MAN than bad ones since covid restrictions were listed. We're all familiar with the regular issues, but the important stuff usually works. They just need to replace or re-apply barcodes to those ancient trays at security which consistently "fail to scan". Really frustrating when you've prepared everything correctly yet still get delayed by one of those.
OzzyOzBorn is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2023, 19:28
  #2224 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 886
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Whilst many here and on other sites (oft visited by the same people to be honest) frequently complain about the retail mazes , the general public *my wife and daughter very much applaud the experience and MAG deliver with spades.

Spring and early summer 2022 are long gone and security is much improved.

One thing through MAG certainly demands being part of the government initiatives and requires the latest scanning equipment soonest.

However we know the former transport minster has his own favoured bases (greasing his pocket down the West Country ) Someone rhyming with Brant Capps
Rutan16 is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2023, 20:51
  #2225 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Manchester
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutan16
Whilst many here and on other sites (oft visited by the same people to be honest) frequently complain about the retail mazes , the general public *my wife and daughter very much applaud the experience and MAG deliver with spades.

However we know the former transport minster has his own favoured bases (greasing his pocket down the West Country ) Someone rhyming with Brant Capps

I believe he also goes by the aliases Michael Green, Corinne Stockheath and Sebastian Fox. In all seriousness, I travel through T3 about twice a month and much of the waiting now in security is down to people not being ready at security and taking an inexorable amount of time to organize themselves, have their liquids in a dingle bag, take shoes and belts off and have items ready to place in a tray then queue to go through the scanners.
TheSpiddalKid is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2023, 21:52
  #2226 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: SYD
Posts: 538
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VickersVicount
Wonder if you asked general public if MAN invested in more and better snow clearing infrastructure and diverted limited funds from eg security queues what they might complain of next?
Perhaps a visit to Innsbruck or Salzburg how to manage (very well predicted) short lived 1-2” of snow ?
I'll keep this brief because most users of this site will be familiar with the following. The temperature at MAN this morning was in the region of 0 to -3C. When snow falls in this temperature range, it is wet snow which rapidly turns slushy and can then freeze. If it is projected upwards onto metal surfaces by aircraft undercarriage it tends to freeze instantly. This is THE most dangerous snow state from an aviation perspective, and airports including MAN are absolutely correct to not 'wing it' under such conditions (excuse the pun) - it has to be 'safety first' every time. They actually did a very good job getting the airport reopened in the timescale they did this morning.

As for citing airports such as Innsbruck and Salzburg, two factors come into play. Much of their snowfall is dry ('powder') snow which is less dangerous to aviation and much easier to deal with. You can get rid of alot of it with blowers, as it doesn't adhere to surfaces in the way wet snow does. Powder snow can also be compacted into a decent braking surface under certain circumstances. Finally, at airports which receive frequent and substantial snowfall - both of those airports you mention serve popular winter sports regions - it is more viable financially to invest in additional expensive snow clearing equipment. How many days over an average Winter see such equipment required at MAN? And even then, is it for afew hours like today, or for the whole H24?
OzzyOzBorn is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2023, 10:20
  #2227 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: London
Posts: 355
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaps1954
Since management changes all running pretty well except with IT outage the other day which can and does happen anywhere Obvious you don`t use many airports cumbriaboy
because i can think of many a lot worse.
Well my job is to travel through airports everyday .... Manchester generally has the worst security I ever experience (OK maybe some developing countries maybe worse) but on a like for like basis, MAN is hats off the worst.
cumbrianboy is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2023, 10:56
  #2228 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Age: 63
Posts: 1,273
Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutan16
Whilst many here and on other sites (oft visited by the same people to be honest) frequently complain about the retail mazes , the general public *my wife and daughter very much applaud the experience and MAG deliver with spades.

Spring and early summer 2022 are long gone and security is much improved.

One thing through MAG certainly demands being part of the government initiatives and requires the latest scanning equipment soonest.

However we know the former transport minster has his own favoured bases (greasing his pocket down the West Country ) Someone rhyming with Brant Capps
Rutan16
I agree security has improved, but it is the general rundown nature of things there which to me is the things that make me get upset, as it is not an expensive thing to fix, it’s just good maintenance. If you look after things they some what surprisingly don’t break down so often.

As for Duty Free it seems ok to me, though I do not spend much time in it unless I am looking for something specific that I know will be cheaper in there than UK or German high streets.

Cheers
Mr Mac
Mr Mac is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2023, 11:08
  #2229 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,812
Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts
Whilst many here and on other sites (oft visited by the same people to be honest) frequently complain about the retail mazes , the general public *my wife and daughter very much applaud the experience and MAG deliver with spades.
A much derided part of the airport experience by people who frequent these sort of places, but less so by general public. Used to work with a woman who only part in jest said "a holiday doesn't start till I've got a new handbag!" - and she liked her holidays (and her handbags... ).

Might not make sense to us, but it does to a lot of people.
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 20th Jan 2023, 14:45
  #2230 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,366
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Over the last month have passed through MAN, CPH, AMS and 5 airports in Thailand & Indonesia multiple times. As often happens at MAN my carry on selected for secondary screening, nothing in it-but never gets stopped anywhere else. All the other airports- no requirements to take out liquids or electronics -(except power banks) as all have tech that does not require removal of stuff.
AMS this morning so super friendly, quick & helpful through security on a transfer.
Arrived MAN 30 minutes late (due de-icing at AMS) gate not ready & then 180 pax left locked in airbridge corridor as the door to the terminal locked. Car park barriers jammed too.
As MAC says, maintenance is not what it could be to keep things running, the slightest hiccup causes major disruption.
Skimped on minor T2 items, there are a number of new gents toilets that have anything from 5 to 10 wash basins- but most have only 2 hand dryers. If you presume a need for x number of wash basins then there must be an optimum need for dryers. Minor stuff but it shows the mindset in play.
Anyway it has been a pleasure & delight to travel through so many airports recently & Manchester isn't anywhere near the top at any level.- far from it.
Mr A Tis is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2023, 14:52
  #2231 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,812
Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts
Skimped on minor T2 items, there are a number of new gents toilets that have anything from 5 to 10 wash basins- but most have only 2 hand dryers. If you presume a need for x number of wash basins then there must be an optimum need for dryers. Minor stuff but it shows the mindset in play.
Can't say I keep detailed records, but isn't that the normal sort of ratio in public toilets?!?
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 20th Jan 2023, 15:45
  #2232 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BMA
Posts: 1,054
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr A Tis
Over the last month have passed through MAN, CPH, AMS and 5 airports in Thailand & Indonesia multiple times. As often happens at MAN my carry on selected for secondary screening, nothing in it-but never gets stopped anywhere else. All the other airports- no requirements to take out liquids or electronics -(except power banks) as all have tech that does not require removal of stuff.
AMS this morning so super friendly, quick & helpful through security on a transfer.
Arrived MAN 30 minutes late (due de-icing at AMS) gate not ready & then 180 pax left locked in airbridge corridor as the door to the terminal locked. Car park barriers jammed too.
As MAC says, maintenance is not what it could be to keep things running, the slightest hiccup causes major disruption.
Skimped on minor T2 items, there are a number of new gents toilets that have anything from 5 to 10 wash basins- but most have only 2 hand dryers. If you presume a need for x number of wash basins then there must be an optimum need for dryers. Minor stuff but it shows the mindset in play.
Anyway it has been a pleasure & delight to travel through so many airports recently & Manchester isn't anywhere near the top at any level.- far from it.
I’d say that’s fairly normal. Heathrow T2 had fancy mirrors with the hand dryers underneath but very quickly most were broken and never fixed leaving just one hand dryer for 10 cubicals and urinals.
BA318 is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2023, 15:06
  #2233 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 670
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
T2 Redevelopment launched

https://mediacentre.manchesterairpor...ion-programme/
AircraftOperations is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2023, 15:09
  #2234 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,812
Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts
Loved the MEN's headline...

First glimpse inside Manchester Airport's planned new T2 with 27 shops, bars and restaurants

SWBKCB is online now  
Old 25th Jan 2023, 16:38
  #2235 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: SYD
Posts: 538
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We may be cynical, but that is exactly what a large proportion of airport passengers want to see!
OzzyOzBorn is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2023, 17:44
  #2236 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 43
Posts: 1,638
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by OzzyOzBorn
We may be cynical, but that is exactly what a large proportion of airport passengers want to see!
You really think that *GIVEN THE CHOICE* like say at award winning (high fees) London City, that they'd rather not just turn up later, whiz through efficient security and be on their way sharpish? BAA changed the whole business model on it's head with shopping as incremental revenue and as a result, they want you to spend your time in their shopping malls. To remain competitive, everyone does it, but remember there's no choice not to use this model due to the competition. People "want to see shops" cos they're forced to turn up early and are relieved they is some distraction.

But LCY being niche and physically constrained cannot do this and the passenger experience is considerably better, and before anyone asks, it's not nearly as business traveller focussed as it once was.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2023, 17:51
  #2237 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,812
Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
You really think that *GIVEN THE CHOICE* like say at award winning (high fees) London City, that they'd rather not just turn up later, whiz through efficient security and be on their way sharpish? BAA changed the whole business model on it's head with shopping as incremental revenue and as a result, they want you to spend your time in their shopping malls. To remain competitive, everyone does it, but remember there's no choice not to use this model due to the competition. People "want to see shops" cos they're forced to turn up early and are relieved they is some distraction.

But LCY being niche and physically constrained cannot do this and the passenger experience is considerably better, and before anyone asks, it's not nearly as business traveller focussed as it once was.
No - lots of people 'want to see shops'. It's part of the journey, it's the start of the holiday. Just like lots of people want to eat or have a beer.
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 25th Jan 2023, 19:25
  #2238 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 3,178
Received 510 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
No - lots of people 'want to see shops'. It's part of the journey, it's the start of the holiday. Just like lots of people want to eat or have a beer.
Clearly there's a large enough segment of the travelling public that wants the 'Retail Experience', personally I detest it.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 25th Jan 2023, 20:29
  #2239 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Age: 63
Posts: 1,273
Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts
ATNotts
Duty Free is a prerequisite of financing an airport and more so if you are reliant on tourism. London City is very niche, but is used by some none business traveler’s but I would say the volumes are lower than Manchester overall massively.

Manchester just feels rundown and a little under maintained which I have to say is a UK problem, but it is managing to export this elsewhere sadly.

Cheers
Mr Mac
Mr Mac is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2023, 19:57
  #2240 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,812
Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts
Manchester just feels rundown and a little under maintained which I have to say is a UK problem, but it is managing to export this elsewhere sadly.
The new British disease, cakeism - "the wish to have or do two good things at the same time when this is impossible" i.e. have a high quality airport experience while paying a low fare.

Last edited by SWBKCB; 27th Jan 2023 at 12:08.
SWBKCB is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.