Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Flybe-9

Old 12th Jan 2020, 22:59
  #2621 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,589
Bizarre how this message gets to the media if Virgin and the new owners have serious long term plans for Flybe. Surely the liquidity needs of the business were put into place?

Sadly news like this whether true or not will do little to encourage forward bookings.

The implications for any such developments would have dire consequences for many stakeholders, in particular the staff, but also airports such as BHD, SOU, and NQY where Flybe comprise the majority of flights.
​​
EI-BUD is online now  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 23:01
  #2622 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: London
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by EI-BUD View Post
Bizarre how this message gets to the media if Virgin and the new owners have serious long term plans for Flybe. Surely the liquidity needs of the business were put into place?

Sadly news like this whether true or not will do little to encourage forward bookings.

The implications for any such developments would have dire consequences for many stakeholders, in particular the staff, but also airports such as BHD, SOU, and NQY where Flybe comprise the majority of flights.
​​
Also IOM, but Stobart operate the Flybe flights from there at the moment (50% at the moment, soon 100%)
flyerguy is online now  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 23:16
  #2623 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,589
SEN

Incidentally, BHD SEN and new SEN routes to Scotland do not seem to be in the Flybe app, are these cancelled? I don't remember reading about that ... maybe a blip
EI-BUD is online now  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 23:17
  #2624 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,589
Originally Posted by flyerguy View Post
Also IOM, but Stobart operate the Flybe flights from there at the moment (50% at the moment, soon 100%)
Apologies Flyerguy, of course IOM and others too...
EI-BUD is online now  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 23:26
  #2625 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Isle of Man
Posts: 15
What will happen with the stobart air flights if flybe do go under? will they still operate or would they have to stop?
HMN851X is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 23:31
  #2626 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London Whipsnade Wildlife Park
Posts: 4,386
Stobart no doubt are a separate company. Cyrus own shares in both.
Buster the Bear is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 23:42
  #2627 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: London
Posts: 112
The ones they operate for Flybe will probably stop.

Blue Islands will carry on.
flyerguy is online now  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 02:53
  #2628 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Posts: 477
Can't quite get my head around this... I thought this was done and dusted...

https://www.cityam.com/troubled-airl...funding-talks/
SealinkBF is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 05:17
  #2629 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 746
This is a very sad state of affairs. However I have a question which I know will possibly generate healthy debate.

With social media being so much more advanced and customer reaction so sensitive, do the media and their response to such “breaking news” items put the final nail in the coffin? If there was a restriction that would not allow such negative journalism at such times would this make any difference? I ask only because of the sheer volume of customer queries on twitter and Facebook and the unnecessary comments from, what would seem to be, self proclaimed armchair financial experts citing every personal issue with Flybe as their reason for financial difficulty.

I appreciate that the public have the right to know what happens in the country but I do wonder if restrictions may just enable some breathing space?

Look forward to everyone’s thoughts particularly those close to business failures in the past.
Cloud1 is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 06:02
  #2630 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 3,786
If a big four accountancy firm has been put on standby, then the situation is really rather serious - it's not simply some minor problem being amplified. Any financial problems are likely due to long term issues, rather than some sudden unforeseen event. Senior management of the companies involved should have been well aware of the developing situation for months, not days.

Having reporting restrictions removes a great deal of the credibility afforded to established news organisations and would likely do huge long term damage to UK plc.
davidjohnson6 is online now  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 06:15
  #2631 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: big green wheely bin
Posts: 647
Also, as a consumer, do you not have a right to know that you could be about to lose your money?

Having been through the Thomas Cook debacle, I really feel for everyone involved. Some who have only just got jobs with them after being made redundant from Thomas Cook!
Jonty is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 06:40
  #2632 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 37
Posts: 1,088
A lot of talk over the last couple of weeks of the non-appearance of NQY-LHR which was due to be put back on sale last week. Though on an equal basis it’s not clear why a continuity PSO route couldn’t have been put on sale with the rest of the routes.

Also it’s been highlighted here about the future running of the airline given there are effectively two HQs. And that one of the stated objectives was to develop a stronger SEN network.

Perhaps I’m being optimistic but maybe an administration is to ditch the Exeter HQ and more easily get out of any routes and leases that are surplus to requirements, run the whole thing from Dublin. This is no consolation to the staff affected but would at least salvage some jobs rather than an all-out collapse.

There are one or two things that point to this - eg the NQY PSO issue (getting it transferred to the new entity or switched to SEN rather than re-tendering) and that there is quite an expanded SEN schedule which would otherwise compete with themselves at LCY
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 06:49
  #2633 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 62
Posts: 380
A big worry in my area with airports EXT and SOU if Flybe go under - SOU will have no one left basically
rog747 is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 07:03
  #2634 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 343
Nor will a few other places
Alteagod is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 07:23
  #2635 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 103
To take a recent example of mine I had two BHX-HAM flights booked before they canned the route. It took five weeks to sort out replacements as they wanted me to fly to HAJ and were willing to pay for transfers/trains to HAM etc. In the end they conceded and booked LH BHX-MUC-HAM which I had looked at and was £180 return (I had paid Flybe £160 per return). When I received the booking details the two flights had been booked as flexi economy fares at £490 per return.

So a £360 transaction had been rebooked at £980 (loss of £620), take the many passengers being rebooked on all of the cancelled flights and multiply them by this ineptitude shows why they probably need finance - lets not even talk about loss of goodwill/confidence going forward.
egcntristar is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 07:36
  #2636 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 643
AirportPlanner1 makes a very good point - suspicious that the LHR-NQY flights are not on-sale. I think they know exactly what they are doing and have done all along. Stobart want Flybe EXT HQ to go bust and then everything can be moved under Stobart in Dublin effectively 'saving the day'. Terribly cunning if this is the case.
shamrock7seal is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 07:38
  #2637 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,589
Originally Posted by shamrock7seal View Post
AirportPlanner1 makes a very good point - suspicious that the LHR-NQY flights are not on-sale. I think they know exactly what they are doing and have done all along. Stobart want Flybe EXT HQ to go bust and then everything can be moved under Stobart in Dublin effectively 'saving the day'. Terribly cunning if this is the case.
I'm guessing BA would pick up NQY LHR if it came with slots and PSO?
EI-BUD is online now  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 07:53
  #2638 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Posts: 962
Originally Posted by EI-BUD View Post
I'm guessing BA would pick up NQY LHR if it came with slots and PSO?
I believe the NQY slots are BA's anyway.
toledoashley is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 07:56
  #2639 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 35
Posts: 592
Originally Posted by egcntristar View Post
To take a recent example of mine I had two BHX-HAM flights booked before they canned the route. It took five weeks to sort out replacements as they wanted me to fly to HAJ and were willing to pay for transfers/trains to HAM etc. In the end they conceded and booked LH BHX-MUC-HAM which I had looked at and was £180 return (I had paid Flybe £160 per return). When I received the booking details the two flights had been booked as flexi economy fares at £490 per return.

So a £360 transaction had been rebooked at £980 (loss of £620), take the many passengers being rebooked on all of the cancelled flights and multiply them by this ineptitude shows why they probably need finance - lets not even talk about loss of goodwill/confidence going forward.
If they are having to rebook you they can only rebook you on flights that have availability and in the same cabin you booked in. If that means a £980 fare on another airline then that's what they have to go with. It's probably why they initially offered you the train option, which would have been considerably cheaper for Flybe.
edi_local is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 08:29
  #2640 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by edi_local View Post
If they are having to rebook you they can only rebook you on flights that have availability and in the same cabin you booked in. If that means a £980 fare on another airline then that's what they have to go with. It's probably why they initially offered you the train option, which would have been considerably cheaper for Flybe.
Like I said, LH was showing £180 return online for economy, instead they rebooked me on flexi fares of £490. My Flybe fare was non refundable economy.
egcntristar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.