Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Carlisle

Old 28th Jun 2017, 16:08
  #481 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: on the border line
Posts: 548
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tents?? I've a two man'er they can have..mind it's a bu..er to put up!
highwideandugly is offline  
Old 28th Jun 2017, 17:48
  #482 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 714
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBH I could see inbound traffic for weekend breaks and holidays etc etc but as for a need for flights generated by locals I would say you mite just make money with a j41 kinda size but doubt you could fill anything much bigger
Alteagod is offline  
Old 28th Jun 2017, 20:39
  #483 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 9,473
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More sheep than people come to mind.
LTNman is offline  
Old 29th Jun 2017, 19:31
  #484 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 7,832
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Well this is all very amusing (especially the southerner crack about government funding of infrastructure projects) but I'm going to spoil it with some facts

4.75 million of tax payers money. Shame Stobart wasn't prepared to spend its own money.
They are - 13m - whatever you think of Stobarts plans, their prepared to back up their opinions with big money

Mr Tinkler said: Weve set this up as a catalyst, using our own airline. Once we make this sustainable we believe other operators will be interested. Stobart Group are investing a total of 13m in this project. The 4.75m will help support and sustain it. Its private business and the Government working together to create jobs, and it will help the local economy. It opens us up to the rest of the world.

Passenger flights starting from Carlisle Airport next summer - minister | News & Star
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 29th Jun 2017, 22:32
  #485 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 685
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I imagine KLM will serve it, probably with some success.

Other than that; this seems like a strange time to open an airport in an area like that. Will it end up twinned with DTV?
01475 is offline  
Old 29th Jun 2017, 23:47
  #486 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,042
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It isn't really a new airport , 01475, more a long-dormant one. There were flights back in the day to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man as well as services to London (Heathrow I think!) on a Euroair 748 in the 1980s. (that's a BAe748 , not a Boeing 747-800 )
jensdad is offline  
Old 29th Jun 2017, 23:55
  #487 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Southampton
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't Thomson Holidays at one point in the early 1980s for one season only use a Britannia Airways Boeing 732 to Palma from Carlisle?
canberra97 is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 00:20
  #488 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Siargao Island
Posts: 1,043
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jensdad
It isn't really a new airport , 01475, more a long-dormant one. There were flights back in the day to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man as well as services to London (Heathrow I think!) on a Euroair 748 in the 1980s. (that's a BAe748 , not a Boeing 747-800 )
Euroair operated LHR/CAX/DND, split load on a budgie so there was probably a CAX/DND route as well but as I recall that operation didn't last too long.
Harry Wayfarers is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 04:46
  #489 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,089
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canberra97, cant recall a BY 732 at CAX, but there was a Pan Am 727 that landed after the Lockerbie bombing bringing in officials/relatives. Also recall Gill ATRs and Brymon Dash 8s using CAX as a diversion airfield
GrahamK is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 06:32
  #490 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: W. Midlands
Posts: 370
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1985, Air Ecosse operated up to two LHR and two DND flights a day with a Shorts 360. This was a Dundee to Heathrow route that called in at Carlisle north and southbound. The following year, this was operated by a Euroair HS.748

In the same year British Air Ferries operated a Viscount charter to Jersey from May to October on Sundays, this also operated in 1986

In 1988 the only service was to the IoM, up to twice daily on an Air Furness Islander
jon01 is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 10:11
  #491 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gateshead, UK
Age: 25
Posts: 1,168
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd hope that Stobart to DUB/SEN, KLM to AMS could breathe life into CAX

Aside from that and maybe the odd summer seasonal charters, I can't imagine what else there really is
EK77WNCL is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 10:14
  #492 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Siargao Island
Posts: 1,043
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EK77WNCL
I'd hope that Stobart to DUB/SEN, KLM to AMS could breathe life into CAX

Aside from that and maybe the odd summer seasonal charters, I can't imagine what else there really is
Have KLM even suggested that they wish to serve Carlisle?
Harry Wayfarers is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 10:22
  #493 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,430
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
KLM seem to fly to almost every other UK airport. If KLM wanted to continue at Manston even when the airport was being closed down...
davidjohnson6 is online now  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 12:25
  #494 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jersey
Age: 73
Posts: 1,450
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jon01
In 1985, Air Ecosse operated up to two LHR and two DND flights a day with a Shorts 360. This was a Dundee to Heathrow route that called in at Carlisle north and southbound. The following year, this was operated by a Euroair HS.748

In the same year British Air Ferries operated a Viscount charter to Jersey from May to October on Sundays, this also operated in 1986

In 1988 the only service was to the IoM, up to twice daily on an Air Furness Islander
Dan Air operated Carlisle to Jersey on a scheduled service basis in the late '70s early '80s, using a Viscount.
kcockayne is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 12:34
  #495 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Siargao Island
Posts: 1,043
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
KLM seem to fly to almost every other UK airport. If KLM wanted to continue at Manston even when the airport was being closed down...
So KLM operate to Exeter, Newquay, Angelsey, Belfast City, East Midlands, Derry, Liverpool, Inverness, Southend, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, Prestwick, Sumburgh and god knows where else?

In a previous life I worked for the forerunner of KLM UK, I do understand where they're coming from, their nearest served opposition to Manston was LHR, a long way and the M25 away, from CAX they have NCL, GLA and MAN to distract their passengers away from which some may say represents a conflict of interests!
Harry Wayfarers is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 16:10
  #496 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Southampton
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harry

Are you just making it up as to what airports KLM serve within the United Kingdom?

For your information and you should know better, KLM fly from Amsterdam to the following UK airports.

Aberdeen
Belfast City
Birmingham
Bristol
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Humberside
Inverness
Leeds
London Heathrow
Manchester
Newcastle
Norwich
Southampton
Teeside

Some of the airports you have mentioned have never even had KLM service or is it you being your usual self!
canberra97 is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 16:31
  #497 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Southampton
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harry Wayfarers
So KLM operate to Exeter, Newquay, Angelsey, Belfast City, East Midlands, Derry, Liverpool, Inverness, Southend, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, Prestwick, Sumburgh and god knows where else?

In a previous life I worked for the forerunner of KLM UK, I do understand where they're coming from, their nearest served opposition to Manston was LHR, a long way and the M25 away, from CAX they have NCL, GLA and MAN to distract their passengers away from which some may say represents a conflict of interests!
(Quote)There nearest served opposition to Manston was LHR a long way and the M25 away!

Nearest served opposition to Manston would not have been LHR but LGW which being a lot closer, Amsterdam being flown by both British Airways and EasyJet.

You need to get a grip with geography or at least use AA route planner.
canberra97 is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 19:24
  #498 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Siargao Island
Posts: 1,043
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canberra97
(Quote)There nearest served opposition to Manston was LHR a long way and the M25 away!

Nearest served opposition to Manston would not have been LHR but LGW which being a lot closer, Amsterdam being flown by both British Airways and EasyJet.

You need to get a grip with geography or at least use AA route planner.
A spelling mistake "there" instead of 'their", the post was regarding a conflict of interest between KLM served airports of which Gatwick is not!

Why do you need to turn everything in to a nitpicking peeing contest?
Harry Wayfarers is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 19:42
  #499 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: uk
Posts: 31
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by virginblue
So, looking at the aerial picture of the airport in the aboove article, where are they planning to handle the passengers? In tents...?
The original building is still there (calling it a terminal sounds wrong) but it can easily handle a plane load of passengers. I expect just a bit of paint and few new chairs are needed.

Edit reason: Didn't. A Plane is a Plain is an Aeroplane :-)
mikeygd is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 19:46
  #500 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Southampton
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harry Wayfarers
A spelling mistake "there" instead of 'their", the post was regarding a conflict of interest between KLM served airports of which Gatwick is not!

Why do you need to turn everything in to a nitpicking peeing contest?
Because of how you respond to other people's posts and your continuous negative comments.
canberra97 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.