Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

RYANAIR pilots, please share your thoughts/ experience

Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

RYANAIR pilots, please share your thoughts/ experience

Old 25th Sep 2023, 20:30
  #61 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: gatwick
Age: 50
Posts: 169
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by A320LGW
It would be difficult for them to do that because the vast majority of the European zero hour crews don't have the right to work in the UK. I presume you're referring to Buzz crew because the only other zero hour pilots are contractors (fixed and floaters), and they are not cheap for the company.

Also, the buzz crews aren't able to operate the G or EI reg aircraft whilst simultaneously operating SP reg. There's a sim between each time they transfer reg. The floating guys can operate EI reg but again, they are very expensive and recently got a payrise so it won't serve the alleged intended purpose.

you obviously more informed than me, it was just that I was part of a conversation and was listening as I didn't have anything to input. My impression was that the aircrew wouldn't be resident but just coming in to operate their airframes which I believe would be the on the European register so it's a bit of a mess for me to understand the various legal issues. It was really to post to see if anyone had comments. Thanks for your insight.
rotorwills is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2023, 21:39
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Between 0 and 41000 ft
Age: 35
Posts: 169
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW
It would be difficult for them to do that because the vast majority of the European zero hour crews don't have the right to work in the UK. I presume you're referring to Buzz crew because the only other zero hour pilots are contractors (fixed and floaters), and they are not cheap for the company.

Also, the buzz crews aren't able to operate the G or EI reg aircraft whilst simultaneously operating SP reg. There's a sim between each time they transfer reg. The floating guys can operate EI reg but again, they are very expensive cheap and recently got a payrise so it won't serve the alleged intended purpose.
Just took the freedom to make some changes.
plikee is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2023, 23:03
  #63 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 430
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plikee
Just took the freedom to make some changes.
You are more than welcome to that. I can see the argument that they are cheap as there is no employer NI or retirement contributions. However at 230 an hour I still wouldn't call them that cheap.

What would the plan be? To pay UK guys a high basic salary and not have them actually work? It's gross 10/hr FOs are getting and we are doing full months even as the October roster is coming out. Or as guys leave, not replace them with more employed pilots but floaters/contractors?

If it is true I don't see it surviving very long. HMRC will come knocking and IR35 will be argued. Everyone will quickly skidaddle.

They also have UK zero hr contractors. Every other day I hear about another one getting audited by HMRC.
A320LGW is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2023, 13:04
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Between 0 and 41000 ft
Age: 35
Posts: 169
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW
You are more than welcome to that. I can see the argument that they are cheap as there is no employer NI or retirement contributions. However at €230 an hour I still wouldn't call them that cheap.

What would the plan be? To pay UK guys a high basic salary and not have them actually work? It's gross 10/hr FOs are getting and we are doing full months even as the October roster is coming out. Or as guys leave, not replace them with more employed pilots but floaters/contractors?

If it is true I don't see it surviving very long. HMRC will come knocking and IR35 will be argued. Everyone will quickly skidaddle.

They also have UK zero hr contractors. Every other day I hear about another one getting audited by HMRC.
Didn't mean to take a dig at you or your comment - I was just pointing that contractors will be always cheaper than employees (otherwise why would governments come up with that idea several years ago?

It is much more than NI & pension. Sick pay, accommodation paid when sending out of base, per diems, visas, not to even talk they discount contractors €4.5/hour to cover your recurrent sim expenses, which is part of OMD legislation, not ATO

Then there are corporate costs savings like NI, pension, insurance, death in service etc that the company is not liable to pay you a penny. And the whole social responsibility.

Don't know any skipper that is on €230/hour (including mobile pilots), FOs are €85 or €90 so a skipper won't be more than double. But I know RYRs wet dream is to get everyone working as contractors.

HMRC has bigger fish to fry, especially now when the contractor community has dropped significantly (FOs now offered direct contract, a must if EU national being UK based due to visa requirements).
plikee is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2023, 20:33
  #65 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: gatwick
Age: 50
Posts: 169
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not sure if my post was explicit enough. Further to some info from sources it's now my understanding is that the crew will fly in to the UK for anfive day work roster. Fly in first morning and then operate a European frame for next five days. Fly out on day six. Hotel accommodations provided for five days. No subsistence period. The crew only paid for flying hours. Skippers rate is €160 Hr, FO €80 is what is believed. This crew arrangement does not attract attention of any UK HMRC. Dublin, is also being targeted. Their are rumours that BALPA are concerned at this sort of move which erodes their members futures. Must say this is all third party information and I cannot corroborate any of this but thought it was the right place to air as there seems to be more than a couple of chaps who are expressing concerns.
rotorwills is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2023, 22:26
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Here, there and everywhere
Posts: 224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick questions (again):

First, I must stress that I was approved during a recent assessment and was eventually offered a job as DEFO at Ryanair DAC based in the UK. Ground school is set for next January.

That being said, base allocation (so far) is STN but I was looking forward to changing the base to somewhere else in the UK. Realistically speaking, is this feasible? And if affirmative, at which point I should/could do this? I am already aware of the base bidding system, but I was wondering if there is another channel to settle this before I am even allocated to STN, so I don't need to change later.
Also, any idea what are the most sought-after bases in the UK?

TIA
BF
Broomstick Flier is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2023, 22:46
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: France
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Broomstick Flier
Quick questions (again):

First, I must stress that I was approved during a recent assessment and was eventually offered a job as DEFO at Ryanair DAC based in the UK. Ground school is set for next January.

That being said, base allocation (so far) is STN but I was looking forward to changing the base to somewhere else in the UK. Realistically speaking, is this feasible? And if affirmative, at which point I should/could do this? I am already aware of the base bidding system, but I was wondering if there is another channel to settle this before I am even allocated to STN, so I don't need to change later.
Also, any idea what are the most sought-after bases in the UK?

TIA
BF
whats your course number for January ?
maxfly51 is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2023, 22:48
  #68 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: newbury
Posts: 72
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interested in DEC RUK , not much info on this part of the empire ,

Can anybody tell me
- the bond for non 737 TR
- the actual pay ( ppjn doesn't seem to cover it )
- the bases ( heard stan, man, edi and bfs ?)

Is it 5/4, 5/4 roster

Thanks for any gen
Prob30Tempo TSRA is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2023, 23:08
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 430
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The floating captains are getting 222.5/hr (- 4.50 sim). If they are LTCs, they get 15 extra per hour. If they happen to be a TRE then it's another 15 extra per hr.

Floating FOs are getting 133/hr.

Fixed base contractors get the above figures minus 50/hr (no floating supplement). I've flown with floating captains this summer already so it wouldn't be new. The company are genuinely short though, there literally are not enough based captains to cover the schedule.

As for HMRC, I know of pilots who they were very interested in and are now getting audited. They took home ridiculous pay checks though.
A320LGW is offline  
Old 27th Sep 2023, 09:23
  #70 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: in the sky
Posts: 149
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Prob30Tempo TSRA
Interested in DEC RUK , not much info on this part of the empire ,

Can anybody tell me
- the bond for non 737 TR
- the actual pay ( ppjn doesn't seem to cover it )
- the bases ( heard stan, man, edi and bfs ?)

Is it 5/4, 5/4 roster

Thanks for any gen
A few pages back, someone has posted the latest CLA pay deal all agreed with Balpa. I suggest you have a look.
Brian Pern is online now  
Old 27th Sep 2023, 12:40
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: newbury
Posts: 72
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Pern
A few pages back, someone has posted the latest CLA pay deal all agreed with Balpa. I suggest you have a look.
Thanks - found it .
122k for uk capt then .

Are you still paying for uniform ( how much ?) medicals , car parks etc ?
Prob30Tempo TSRA is offline  
Old 27th Sep 2023, 17:22
  #72 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Here, there and everywhere
Posts: 224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Prob30Tempo TSRA
Interested in DEC RUK , not much info on this part of the empire ,
Can anybody tell me
- the bond for non 737 TR
- the actual pay ( ppjn doesn't seem to cover it )
- the bases ( heard stan, man, edi and bfs ?)
Is it 5/4, 5/4 roster
Thanks for any gen
Hi Prob30,

As far it was told us during the assessment, there is a three-year bond for non-typed pilots.
There is no deduction per se, but for every year worked they cancel 1/3 of your debt. I think it is around 15K quid.

Regarding the bases, from what I learned, new hires are all being assigned STN, regardless of base options made during the assessment, but this is only a personal observation.

Please note this information is for RYR not RUK, might be different.
Broomstick Flier is offline  
Old 28th Sep 2023, 06:57
  #73 (permalink)  
ser
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Prob30Tempo TSRA
Thanks - found it .
122k for uk capt then .

Are you still paying for uniform ( how much ?) medicals , car parks etc ?

As of June, I believe Ryanair UK has four aircraft based at STN, four aircraft based at MAN, one or two aircraft based at EDI and one or two aircraft based at BFS. So you are more likely to get STN or MAN base with RUK.

You pay for everything except hotels for recurrent SIMs.

Edit: You do pay for sim hotels, I forgot, occasionally they pay for a taxi for you to/from SIM because they can't afford to have you off the line for a day DH through the network.
Thanks vpcaptain

Last edited by ser; 29th Sep 2023 at 07:26.
ser is offline  
Old 28th Sep 2023, 18:08
  #74 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: newbury
Posts: 72
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info .
I remember 20 years back it was 50 to read your CV
Now it's 60 for Im guessing a psyche questionnaire
Prob30Tempo TSRA is offline  
Old 28th Sep 2023, 22:25
  #75 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 32
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You do pay for recurrent sim hotels, have to DH to sim can’t self drive, 13 RUK 737-800’s two at each of EDI and BFS one parked at PIK rest MAN STN. BHX getting 2 next.
vpcaptain is offline  
Old 11th Oct 2023, 17:47
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: United States
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many pilots is Ryanair hiring nowadays?

How long does it take from application to interview offer?

What is the interview pass rate?
Galiver is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2023, 12:17
  #77 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Dublin
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,
Reading through this forum and want to highlight a couple of things;
  • DEC Assessments take place weekly in STN, if you are successful you will be offered a position within 5 working days, you apply on careers.ryanair.com
  • UK Captain Salary is 147k or 144k if regional (if dual licence rated)
  • Basic 108,000 Allowance (uniform, parking, loss of licence, or do whatever you want with it) 6,000 A/L pay 2,897 Sector pay 14,714 (based on 850 avg hours) Pension 8,000 London Allowance 3,000 Total 142,611 Dual licence Allowance 5,000 Total inc DLA 147,611
  • The psychometric assessment is provided by AON - If you successfully join a course, this is reimbursed in full
  • Its a fixed 5/4 roster for duration of your Ryanair career
  • For Non-Type Rated Captains it is a 15k reducing bond (no payment reductions etc)
  • Loads of opps for fast track command & training dept
Hope that helps
Cheers
iamryranair is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2023, 21:12
  #78 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vesterbronx
Age: 26
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any BLL based (or CPH) willing to share details/t&c’s ?
Vesterbronx is offline  
Old 13th Oct 2023, 14:07
  #79 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Austria
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamryranair
Hi All,
Reading through this forum and want to highlight a couple of things;
  • Loads of opps for fast track command & training dept
Hope that helps
Cheers
Can you explain a bit more about fast track commands.
What are the minimum requirements and exactly how fast is the process ?
Bah76f is online now  
Old 14th Oct 2023, 10:26
  #80 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vesterbronx
Any BLL based (or CPH) willing to share details/t&cs ?
send me a PM and Ill give you a few DKK numbers
Lazyturtle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.