Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

BA Euroflyer

Old 19th Dec 2022, 11:19
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It all depends on what you want in life , I consider myself lucky in a way as I have done LH for a number of years and have decided itís not for me anymore and have bitten the bullet to leave a legacy to go to a low cost holiday company , which assuming I get a command one day will give me more money over the rest of my career.
Itís not as simple as saying why would you stay at Ryanair and not go to BA ?????
maybe people want more money and operate from a nice easy regional base ? Or donít care about boasting who they work for Ö just my thoughts
RARA9 is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 11:21
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Airport Hotel
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackiemkfok View Post
Very much in the same position as you, I am totally with you on leaving with more or less 500hrs feels like wasting the TR with immense learning opportunities on RHS still to come, and the guys in the deck have a different vibe comparing to legacy . Have sent you a dm.
Those immense learning opportunities you mention are available to you at BA too, not just Ryanair. Your TR wonít be wasted - itís not just about learning to fly a 737, many of the skills you acquired during your TR will be transferable to any other flightdeck.

As others have said, you need get over this ďlegacyĒ ďus & themĒ mentality. Ask yourself where you want to be in 5-10 years, what you want out of flying, etc. That should inform your decision making.

For instance, if quick command is what you want over anything else, BA will not really give you that (maybe Euroflyer would I donít know Ö)

If youíre able to wait for command and in the meantime enjoy seeing Europe, the world and flying different types of aircraft - well I would suggest Ryanair/low cost isnít where itís at.

Be honest with yourself, know what you really want and what can wait, and make an objective decision . Have many people have gone from Ryanair to BA ? How did it work out for them ? You could take that into consideration as evidence !

But donít base decisions based on what you or others ďthinkĒ itís like.
Alrosa is online now  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 18:24
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 177
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RARA9 View Post
It all depends on what you want in life , I consider myself lucky in a way as I have done LH for a number of years and have decided itís not for me anymore and have bitten the bullet to leave a legacy to go to a low cost holiday company , which assuming I get a command one day will give me more money over the rest of my career.
Itís not as simple as saying why would you stay at Ryanair and not go to BA ?????
maybe people want more money and operate from a nice easy regional base ? Or donít care about boasting who they work for Ö just my thoughts
Exactly it depends what you want!!!
I am pushing 40. I still see BA as a great option. For me itís the flexibility. LH/SH, you get options for part time, loads of other benefits. At the Irish LCC I mean you have to pay for everything yourself. Then they add that it your pay. £65k a year for STN FO. No itís not. Itís more like £55k on what would be a normal job spec. BA Euroflyer £65k plus the 15% pension plus they pay for your medicals etc.
Compared to LHR yes Euro is a fair chunk less nearly £20k however youíre not doing trips spending money in hotels etc.

I have seen my mates pay at mainline and man heís not far off first year captains at RYR.
Even at 40 can I see myself doing SH only for another 25 years? No.
Mid 20s can you see yourself doing SH for 40 years? Ok maybe you go into training.

PS. To add look how badly RYR treated crew during COVID. Speak to main who went through it and it was horrible. Yes BA got rid of some. RYR didnít but paid nothing in some cases. Let the pilots claim from governments and only just reinstated pay when managers got it 18 months ago. Thatís why 1000 are working notices.


Last edited by AIMINGHIGH123; 19th Dec 2022 at 18:54.
AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 19:25
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: AUS
Posts: 107
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123 View Post
Exactly it depends what you want!!!
I am pushing 40. I still see BA as a great option. For me itís the flexibility. LH/SH, you get options for part time, loads of other benefits. At the Irish LCC I mean you have to pay for everything yourself. Then they add that it your pay. £65k a year for STN FO. No itís not. Itís more like £55k on what would be a normal job spec. BA Euroflyer £65k plus the 15% pension plus they pay for your medicals etc.
Compared to LHR yes Euro is a fair chunk less nearly £20k however youíre not doing trips spending money in hotels etc.

I have seen my mates pay at mainline and man heís not far off first year captains at RYR.
Even at 40 can I see myself doing SH only for another 25 years? No.
Mid 20s can you see yourself doing SH for 40 years? Ok maybe you go into training.

PS. To add look how badly RYR treated crew during COVID. Speak to main who went through it and it was horrible. Yes BA got rid of some. RYR didnít but paid nothing in some cases. Let the pilots claim from governments and only just reinstated pay when managers got it 18 months ago. Thatís why 1000 are working notices.

On this note location is also a factor. Those living up north canít really relocate to LGW on the terms offered by EF but 65-70k at RYR up in MAN or Scotland will go much further. Commuting to LGW is almost impossible whereas to LHR becomes a little easier.

ToCatLady is online now  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 21:35
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Neverland
Posts: 47
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123 View Post

£65k a year for STN FO. No itís not. Itís more like £55k on what would be a normal job spec. BA Euroflyer £65k plus the 15% pension plus they pay for your medicals etc.
Euroflyer earns 65k? I saw the offer that was in 2021 (so maybe they improved it) but based on 900h a year the most a y1 FO could earn was approximately £59k gross all up (nice pension on top is always good)

That is less money than Wizz in LGW and at least there you can get a Fixed 6/4 roster most of the year. And if you do 900 at wizz youíll probably earn around 70k gross (although the pension is currently beyond terrible but rumours are itís being made competitive due to retention becoming a serious issue)
Potatos_69 is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 07:23
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 177
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Potatos_69 View Post
Euroflyer earns 65k? I saw the offer that was in 2021 (so maybe they improved it) but based on 900h a year the most a y1 FO could earn was approximately £59k gross all up (nice pension on top is always good)

That is less money than Wizz in LGW and at least there you can get a Fixed 6/4 roster most of the year. And if you do 900 at wizz youíll probably earn around 70k gross (although the pension is currently beyond terrible but rumours are itís being made competitive due to retention becoming a serious issue)
Not sure what it was 2021 Basic at Euroflyer is £49k. Then flight pay makes it £65k canít remember if that was based on 900hrs. Looking at hard figures yes not much in it between other carriers based out of LGW. Look at whole package though. Long term opportunities, pension, staff travel, etc.
AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 10:13
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coast to Coast...
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone else get an email from Recruitment reminding them they can use up to 300 words for one of the questions? I'm confused. Mine is about that already.
Smooth Airperator is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2022, 15:03
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 353
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers for the info!
A320LGW is offline  
Old 27th Dec 2022, 22:39
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: LHR
Posts: 330
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euroflyer Assessment

Would be extremely grateful if anyone has any insight into the assessment process for Euroflyer - think itís been asked previously in the thread but not covered.
Appreciate it can be delicate posting publicly so would appreciate a PM if more suitable.

Thanks very much in advance 👍🏻
Cloud Bunny is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2022, 03:44
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by A320LGW View Post
I have read and re read the posts on here and I thank you all for your advice.
Meanwhile, is it true the BA pay scale maxes out at around 7-8k net? Someone here said it recently but It seemed surprisingly low, I've discussed it with other pilots since and they all agreed it seems very low.
That was probably me - I claimed it was £8k. I took a paye calculator and plugged in: (current at Oct 2022) Capt PP34 salary less 6% pension less 4% covid paycut plus 800hrs flight pay and got £8160/month.

Now we've agreed to end covid pay cuts from Jan and return the pay rise that was agreed before covid. This is all complete from April 2023. Plugging the same numbers (salary, 800hrs flight pay, -6% pension) from April 2023 gives £9280/ month.
White Van Driver is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2022, 10:13
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euro flyer Salary

Hi. Does anyone know if the advertised salary for the DEC at euroflyer is basic gross or does it include expected average allowances??
flap_actuator is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2022, 20:50
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flap_actuator View Post
Hi. Does anyone know if the advertised salary for the DEC at euroflyer is basic gross or does it include expected average allowances??
which advertised salary? If it's the £104k I've heard that includes the allowances.
IIRC the BAEF Capt scale starts at £81.8k basic plus £20/flt hr plus £2.5/duty hr. Basic increases by £1.5k per PP until PP12 at £98.3k.
White Van Driver is offline  
Old 30th Dec 2022, 10:25
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by White Van Driver View Post
which advertised salary? If it's the £104k I've heard that includes the allowances.
IIRC the BAEF Capt scale starts at £81.8k basic plus £20/flt hr plus £2.5/duty hr. Basic increases by £1.5k per PP until PP12 at £98.3k.
Thanks, thatís what I thought it might be. It wasnít very clear in the job advertisement.
flap_actuator is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2023, 18:45
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 285
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123 View Post
You should definitely consider BA.

I know loads of guys at BA from all ages. Some even joined late 40s. If youíre from SE from all the info IMO itís the best gig.
You have options. SH LH. Opportunity to go part time, adjust your roster etc. Iím with Blue and yellow and honestly they have messed up big time.
Ok you can get fast command but wake up people. The pay is not amazing for Captain.
RYR First year Captain £91500. Second year £98250.
Then £105k. Ok so I havenít added sector etc.
RYR say Captains earn £136k but:

Allowance £6k
Annual Leave £3kish
Sector pay 850 hrs £14kish
Pension £8k.

These figures are added on top of basic.

Donít forget out of this you have to pay LOL, Uniform, Company IDs, CAA/IAA fees etc etc Food, tea, coffee, ok we get free water now. Well done what an achievement.

Make contacts with guys/gals in BA. Ask them directly. I was always skeptical but starting adding it all together and it is a very good option. Small things add up.
RYR 5 on 4 off is the only good thing. From comparing rosters yes RYR actually have more days off over the year but man when youíre working 12 hr duties are pretty standard.

As White Van said: Look forward,10 years minimum!!!
I don't disagree with you and imo (for what it's worth) I think joining BA in the early 20s is the best move for most pilots.
Regarding the salary, the right thing would be to calculate for the entire career.
Let say OP is 25 and earns 3000£/month. In 3 years he'll upgrade to CPT and will get 6000£/month. Throw in LTC/TRI if that's on your mind.
Long story short, you set up two scenarios in excel, adding 40 values (25 - 65 yo) and summing it all up. I'm pretty sure FR will get way on top. Now you can add cost of lol, meals, teabags, uniforms, etc, etc. Depending how much time one is willing to spend, one can add pension (bring them to comparable level/contributions), train discounts - if applicable and so on.
Next step, take the difference, /40/12 - you see what the avg difference a month. This is pure maths, as objective as it gets.
Whatever it is, 50£ or 2000£ - now you can subjectively decide what you prefer.
"I'll get on avg 800£/month more at BA/FR, but I'll get 5/4 roster (or LH flights), etc, etc, etc."
cefey is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2023, 21:00
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 177
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cefey View Post
I don't disagree with you and imo (for what it's worth) I think joining BA in the early 20s is the best move for most pilots.
Regarding the salary, the right thing would be to calculate for the entire career.
Let say OP is 25 and earns 3000£/month. In 3 years he'll upgrade to CPT and will get 6000£/month. Throw in LTC/TRI if that's on your mind.
Long story short, you set up two scenarios in excel, adding 40 values (25 - 65 yo) and summing it all up. I'm pretty sure FR will get way on top. Now you can add cost of lol, meals, teabags, uniforms, etc, etc. Depending how much time one is willing to spend, one can add pension (bring them to comparable level/contributions), train discounts - if applicable and so on.
Next step, take the difference, /40/12 - you see what the avg difference a month. This is pure maths, as objective as it gets.
Whatever it is, 50£ or 2000£ - now you can subjectively decide what you prefer.
"I'll get on avg 800£/month more at BA/FR, but I'll get 5/4 roster (or LH flights), etc, etc, etc."
The Euroflyer gig isnít the best in terms of £££. Having seen the rosters they look lighter than RYR couple of days extra work over a month average. Hours at work looked less. Euroflyer is quicker upgrade than at mainline. I know a few captains joined BA back in 2018, redundant 2020 back at BA A320 LHS out of LGW. They had 0 A320 hours experience.
I donít know anyone well enough at Euroflyer to ask them to show me a payslip.
A320 LHR and a close mate of mine takes home £4200 minimum year 2. I said somewhere else here he bagged an overtime trip that added £2k on to that!!! 40hrs of which he was sat by a pool!!! Not bad if you ask me.

10 years time even as LHR FO on current BA deal what itís going to be £90ishk basic plus £15-20k extras.

At Euroflyer of course less but decide to move to LH and you will slide to that.

A final benefit is you can take your contract to a bank and get a decent mortgage. RYR Bluesky/STORM what ever they are dishing out now say you are employed on a 3 year contract. Jokers.

5 on 4 off is RYR only trump card. Yes itís amazing to plan that far in advance but the rest is a joke.

These figures subject to change. BA itís £3k a year pay rise.
RYR I do think there will be a pay rise this year. Possibly a big one. Will that stop people leaving? Not really. Will there be another pay cut? Possibly.

Last edited by AIMINGHIGH123; 5th Jan 2023 at 22:40.
AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2023, 14:43
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Utopia
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What’s the roster like at Euroflyer? Thx.
737 Jockey is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2023, 17:49
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anybody explain the necessity to hire DECís? Iíd imagine there would be FOís that meet the experience requirements for in house upgrades.

Secondly, if one were to join as a DEC, is there a realistic chance of moving to LHR onto the 320 that side? Or is it still a better option to apply for a DEP at LHR and wait for command?
RPat01 is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2023, 22:19
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RPat01 View Post
Can anybody explain the necessity to hire DECís? Iíd imagine there would be FOís that meet the experience requirements for in house upgrades.

Secondly, if one were to join as a DEC, is there a realistic chance of moving to LHR onto the 320 that side? Or is it still a better option to apply for a DEP at LHR and wait for command?
There are plenty of FOs who could take an EF command but very few are bidding to do so because of lesser contract at EF, perceived less job security, and a long "freeze" (years before getting back to LHR). Because there are so few willing internal transfers, they need to hire DEC.

No one quite knows how the move to LHR will work but my best guess is that after 6 year freeze is finished you'll be able to go across. It might well be as FO though as I believe the time to command at LHR is above 6 years.

By taking DEC at EF you'll be earning more than a DEP at LHR for those 6 years so that's a decent option. Then go across either as soon as you can (probably 6 years), or wait a bit longer to go across keeping your LHS.
Just be aware of the negatives before committing.
White Van Driver is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2023, 01:25
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: France
Age: 38
Posts: 109
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all.

I saw also the advert for EF as DEC. They are advertising min 105 000£ the first year, is that the basic only and you can do more with overtime ? Like 10/15 ? If someone got the details, please ? Because if I compare to direct entry with jet2, 105 only seems light.
They speak about 12 years salary increase, I heard 3000£ extra a year ? I m right ?

An other question for the pilot at BA EF, in your SOP, can you disconnect autopilot / ATH and fly manually? FD ? Raw data ? Visual approach ? Maybe it seems silly, but I m trying to see what is company culture. Thank you.
Flocks is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2023, 14:42
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flocks View Post
Hello all.

I saw also the advert for EF as DEC. They are advertising min 105 000£ the first year, is that the basic only and you can do more with overtime ? Like 10/15 ? If someone got the details, please ? Because if I compare to direct entry with jet2, 105 only seems light.
They speak about 12 years salary increase, I heard 3000£ extra a year ? I m right ?.
Capt scale starts at £81.8k basic plus £20/flt hr plus £2.5/duty hr. Basic increases by £1.5k per PP until PP12 at £98.3k.
Working a day off gets you an extra £457 gross.

yes it is less money than much of the competition. But comes with the advantage of taking your number on the BA MSL.
White Van Driver is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.