PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Euroflyer
Thread: BA Euroflyer
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2023, 22:19
White Van Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RPat01
Can anybody explain the necessity to hire DEC’s? I’d imagine there would be FO’s that meet the experience requirements for in house upgrades.

Secondly, if one were to join as a DEC, is there a realistic chance of moving to LHR onto the 320 that side? Or is it still a better option to apply for a DEP at LHR and wait for command?
There are plenty of FOs who could take an EF command but very few are bidding to do so because of lesser contract at EF, perceived less job security, and a long "freeze" (years before getting back to LHR). Because there are so few willing internal transfers, they need to hire DEC.

No one quite knows how the move to LHR will work but my best guess is that after 6 year freeze is finished you'll be able to go across. It might well be as FO though as I believe the time to command at LHR is above 6 years.

By taking DEC at EF you'll be earning more than a DEP at LHR for those 6 years so that's a decent option. Then go across either as soon as you can (probably 6 years), or wait a bit longer to go across keeping your LHS.
Just be aware of the negatives before committing.