Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Virgin Recruiting

Old 5th Aug 2023, 20:08
  #341 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: EU
Posts: 100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW
I see virgin have reopened hiring and this time open to EU citizens with visa sponsorship. UK citizens are at a huge disadvantage on the job market if more UK airlines start to do this because I can't see any European carrier doing it.
Hold a current UK Class One Medical and United Kingdom or European Union Flight Crew License (ATPL) issued by the UK CAA at the date of joining
That's from Virgin webpage
menekse is offline  
Old 6th Aug 2023, 19:06
  #342 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
I think you may have misunderstood -

I think Nat meant - Trade Union Reps were top of management's wish-list of undesirables and trouble-makers who were not wanted back - so they had to 'fail' their re-hiring interviews. If true - thats a black-list offence under labour relations law.

There's probably a long queue of Subject Access Requests as a result - https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/yo...-of-your-data/ - while the shredding department works overtime.

Our Virgin mate wasn't in the pub last night - seems he got clobbered for an extra trip.

LFH
It would sadly appear from the evidence gathered so far, that LFH is absolutely correct. Said shredding department not quite quick enough.
NAT Zulu is offline  
Old 6th Aug 2023, 19:11
  #343 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by menekse
Hold a current UK Class One Medical and United Kingdom or European Union Flight Crew License (ATPL) issued by the UK CAA at the date of joining
That's from Virgin webpage

...don't forget it also says that they will sponsor a four year residence visa. One has to ask why "the best gig in the UK" would need to do this, no? Particulary if there are vastly qualified and experienced pilots in the UK still available.....some even with decades of prior service at the actual carrier?!?!?

NAT Zulu is offline  
Old 6th Aug 2023, 19:24
  #344 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: gatwick
Age: 50
Posts: 162
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only need to read the front pages of UK newspapers to discover why Virgin are recruiting. Balpa attempting to negotiate layovers etc. Not the best gig in UK by a long way.
rotorwills is offline  
Old 6th Aug 2023, 22:42
  #345 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Hand to Mouth
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rotorwills
Only need to read the front pages of UK newspapers to discover why Virgin are recruiting. Balpa attempting to negotiate layovers etc. Not the best gig in UK by a long way.
It ceased being the best gig in the UK overnight, when the management decided to use the Covid excuse to unilaterally tear up our contracts, and scrap all of our hard fought for protections. And if you didn't sign the new, unilaterally imposed contract, then out the door you go. Something that I belive BA tried, but got pilloried in the press for, and subsequently dropped...

The seniority concept suffered the same fate. Sacking 50% of the pilots, out of seniority, just based on thier type rating at the time. Seniority now only applies when it works in thier favour. Not only will you spend years waiting your turn for promotion, you will also spend your life looking over your shoulder wondering if you've made the right fleet choice come the next inevitable downturn and subsequent redundancy rounds.
​​
What they didn't (and still don't) realise is that those protections were the only thing making VS attractive to pilots.

There are many, many other things that happened that have now rendered VS the least attractive gig in the UK, by a considerable margin. A lot of which will, no doubt, be revealed during the court cases scheduled for next year...

​​​
Birdbirdbirdstheword is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2023, 08:22
  #346 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: World
Posts: 71
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdbirdbirdstheword
Something that I belive BA tried, but got pilloried in the press for, and subsequently dropped...
​​​
Donít think any of the Nigels who were sacked then given a £14k pay decrease, endlessly told there were no slots at LHR for them whilst the company recruited externals into the positions would necessarily agree with you there. Although the corruption and nepotism in the BA CC is a different story entirely.
Seosan is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2023, 18:14
  #347 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: EU
Posts: 100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seosan
Donít think any of the Nigels who were sacked then given a £14k pay decrease, endlessly told there were no slots at LHR for them whilst the company recruited externals into the positions would necessarily agree with you there. Although the corruption and nepotism in the BA CC is a different story entirely.
Feel free to post on my thread
Nepotism in pilot selection
menekse is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2023, 18:16
  #348 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: EU
Posts: 100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NAT Zulu
...don't forget it also says that they will sponsor a four year residence visa. One has to ask why "the best gig in the UK" would need to do this, no? Particulary if there are vastly qualified and experienced pilots in the UK still available.....some even with decades of prior service at the actual carrier?!?!?
Visa sponsorship is useless if I don't have an ATPL issued by the UK CAA, that's what they ask
menekse is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2023, 22:32
  #349 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by menekse
Visa sponsorship is useless if I don't have an ATPL issued by the UK CAA, that's what they ask
You are missing the point, with respect.

When did you last see a European "legacy" carrier, marketed to be an employer of choice, advertising visa sponsorships to attract applicants(UK licence holders or not)? Take a look at the news in the UK today and read between the lines.
NAT Zulu is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2023, 23:24
  #350 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Rome
Posts: 259
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdbirdbirdstheword

There are many, many other things that happened that have now rendered VS the least attractive gig in the UK, by a considerable margin. A lot of which will, no doubt, be revealed during the court cases scheduled for next year...

​​​

what court case ? Whatís it all about ?
BIGBAD is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2023, 08:54
  #351 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,028
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Big Bad ....

what court case ? Whatís it all about ?
I refer you to Nat Zulu's learned post #330 above - extract below ....

I feel fairly qualified to state the above as a long serving ex-VAA Captain who was unceremoniously made redundant out of seniority during their "shake up" of terms and conditions to retrograde permanent new ones that are quoted above in this thread. There are a significant number of us (most with decades of service dutifully done to get that LH command at the "best gig in UK") that are taking them to court for all sorts of unsavoury discriminative reasons. The six week hearing starts in February.

Even their "star" instagram sensation TRE is off to the High Court shortly to allegedly face accusations of some pretty nasty career-ending defamations made to bosses of colleagues.
I expect we will have to wait until much nearer the dates before we learn more.

LFH


Lordflasheart is offline  
Old 16th Aug 2023, 20:30
  #352 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had the Sim recently, if so would they be willing to private message me.

thank you.
Byrne11 is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 16:32
  #353 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 91
Posts: 144
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also axed -

Originally Posted by NAT Zulu
...to be brutally honest, I don't think the Virgin management have opened this avenue up for EU pilots in order to improve terms and conditions at Virgin in the future! Lets not politik this situation when there is no need!

The fact is, in my very humble opinion, that VAA is very definately not the employer of choice that it once was. It can't attract UK pilots because of this, and is so forced to look elsewhere. It really is as simple as that.

I feel fairly qualified to state the above as a long serving ex-VAA Captain who was unceremoniously made redundant out of seniority during their "shake up" of terms and conditions to retrograde permanent new ones that are quoted above in this thread. There are a significant number of us (most with decades of service dutifully done to get that LH command at the "best gig in UK") that are taking them to court for all sorts of unsavoury discriminative reasons. The six week hearing starts in February.

Even their "star" instagram sensation TRE is off to the High Court shortly to allegedly face accusations of some pretty nasty career-ending defamations made to bosses of colleagues.

They made their bed with a very oportunistic response to Covid that was also very much an outlier compared to other airlines at the time.

....it is certainly worth thinking if you want to lie in that particular bed?

As for working out your time to command etc - well, just factor in that it counts for NOTHING at Virgin when the axe falls. Our stories are true testament to that.
I was also Culled - I was invited back to interview but due to me being a " problem child " guess what I haven't flown since
Scruffy Fanny is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 21:38
  #354 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 91
Posts: 144
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
I think you may have misunderstood -

I think Nat meant - Trade Union Reps were top of management's wish-list of undesirables and trouble-makers who were not wanted back - so they had to 'fail' their re-hiring interviews. If true - thats a black-list offence under labour relations law.

There's probably a long queue of Subject Access Requests as a result - https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/yo...-of-your-data/ - while the shredding department works overtime.

Our Virgin mate wasn't in the pub last night - seems he got clobbered for an extra trip.

LFH
as I mentioned I was a know trouble maker - PPU etc and when I got taken out of the pool and had an interview for my old job guess what I didn't get an offer ... very odd but I'm happy now in the sand pit
Scruffy Fanny is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2023, 20:21
  #355 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: norway
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin Recruitment process

Hei, I have the Zenon phone interview next week for Virgin. Anyone has gone through the recruitment process? Would you please contact me? Thank you in advance.
rocky 3 is offline  
Old 1st Sep 2023, 11:14
  #356 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone has done the sim recently could they drop me a DM.
Thank you!
Byrne11 is offline  
Old 20th Sep 2023, 23:15
  #357 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone has done the final interview at VA, could they drop me a DM.
Cheers
Byrne11 is offline  
Old 22nd Sep 2023, 16:01
  #358 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone with information on the sim test?

thanks
Scand320 is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2023, 09:44
  #359 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Centre of Universe
Posts: 364
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scand320
anyone with information on the sim test?

thanks
I'm sure at interview VS staff will tell candidates its a competition so why give you the answers?
Twiglet1 is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2023, 23:26
  #360 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Over the clouds
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

Does anybody have the latest salary and/or earning figures for VA SFOs in 2023? Also, I hear that the command line is very long there >5years. Can anyone with the inside knowledge share what procedures the company has for SFOs upgrade?

Cheers,
numichem is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.