Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

BA pilots vote to strike

Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

BA pilots vote to strike

Old 28th Dec 2019, 08:13
  #561 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1998
Location: south coast
Posts: 406
Originally Posted by TURIN View Post
I remember at the start of this that any improved offer to pilots would also apply to the rest of the collective. From what I can see, the improvement is an extra £1/hrs flying pay. Obviously, this won't apply to the ground staff. Did I miss anything?
Some of the Pilots ( ALL ex BMI SH) dont get the extra £1 either........I say again , sold down the river to protect the few
Barcli is online now  
Old 28th Dec 2019, 16:01
  #562 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London
Age: 41
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by Barcli View Post
Some of the Pilots ( ALL ex BMI SH) dont get the extra £1 either........I say again , sold down the river to protect the few
Protect the few?
Jumbo2 is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2019, 18:48
  #563 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 95
Some of the Pilots ( ALL ex BMI SH) dont get the extra £1 either........I say again , sold down the river to protect the few
Incorrect! I understand over 50% have now transferred onto the BA pay scales and therefore will receive the flying pay increase. It only affect those that have remained on their bmi contracted pay scales. I understand this was to protect their salaries when they transferred to BA. Now who wants all the pie!?! 🙄
SkyRocket10 is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2019, 04:37
  #564 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Dirty South
Posts: 415
Originally Posted by wiggy View Post


How long have you got? The.problem is only one of the items that was causing “the fuss” has even been half addressed (pay). The rest of the items are still there, festering...
British Airways pilots have some of the worst pay scales and scheduling rules of any first world, western, wildly profitable airline. Two crew flights to the Midwest, and pay scales for Captains that rival their First Officer U.S. counterparts.

Just before Christmas, with a legal right to strike, with a legitimate position, and a management praying quietly that you wouldn’t cave - You did exactly that.

One wonders what would have happened, if the cadet and Nigel culture that exists an BA now, had been dominant in English society in 1939.




I see no relation.




JPJP is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2019, 07:24
  #565 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Uk
Age: 38
Posts: 464
Wow, what a stupid post. I see no relation either to my teenage grandfather flying a mosquito during WW2 and a pilot strike at BA in 2019.

bex88 is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2019, 13:00
  #566 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 258
JPJP

... and a management praying quietly that you wouldn’t cave ...

I suspect you meant management were praying you would cave ( or wouldn't strike)
Bellerophon is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2019, 15:24
  #567 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,838
Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
JPJP

... and a management praying quietly that you wouldn’t cave ...

I suspect you meant management were praying you would cave ( or wouldn't strike)
He might have meant exactly what he said...there is certainly a POV that has been expressed elsewhere that some in management would have welcomed the opportunities another day’s strike action would have given them.





wiggy is offline  
Old 29th Dec 2019, 22:07
  #568 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Dirty South
Posts: 415
Originally Posted by bex88 View Post
I see no relation either to my teenage grandfather flying a mosquito during WW2 and a pilot strike at BA in 2019.
I think you’ve missed the point. Both ventures require testicular fortitude and a degree of trust in each other. Seems that it missed a generation or two in this case.

Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
JPJP
I suspect you meant management were praying you would cave ( or wouldn't strike)
Thank you. That’s exactly what I meant. As to Wiggys theory - No. I don’t think that management wanted you to strike at Christmas. I think they were praying fervently that you wouldn’t.

The FUD spread intentionally by management in these situations includes the ‘boogeyman gambit’; the unseen brilliant plan in store for the pilots if they continue on the foolish path. Much like the ‘taking of hostages’ (firing, removing pay, travel privileges), it’s one of many tools in a classic playbook. Klaus is well aquatinted. And BALPA should have been both aware and educating the pilot group. Once it’s all over, jobs etc. are restored under a final agreement. Life moves on.

Or, you get next to nothing. Except a long term hole in your pilot group’s confidence, a gaping wound where the shreds of your union once lurked. Along with a management group emboldened, clinking glasses and rolling in the money that you left on the table.

Sorry - It’s sad to watch. It’s also puzzling.

JPJP is offline  
Old 30th Dec 2019, 05:38
  #569 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 9
Puzzling indeed. As is the role of the general secretary in all this. With the exception of that god awful press interview he gave, where has he been? He’s presided over strike ballots at Ryanair and BA, concurrently. Yet is nowhere to be seen. He’s either feckless and is being walked all over by the NEC or local councils or he’s a classic willy waver whose bark is worse than his bite. Either way he’s been totally marginalised and swept aside as a man who must be dealt with.

Grenshaw and Darke did a lot less damage to pilots’ collective interests and yet they were booted out. Why is our gas fitter friend still in post?
Built4Speed2 is offline  
Old 30th Dec 2019, 20:38
  #570 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 680
100% agree with every word JPJP.
GS-Alpha is offline  
Old 30th Dec 2019, 21:44
  #571 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 119
Originally Posted by JPJP View Post
I think you’ve missed the point. Both ventures require testicular fortitude and a degree of trust in each other. Seems that it missed a generation or two in this case.
A ridiculous and overly dramatic comparison. The fortitude and motivation to overcome global mass murdering fascism is clearly different to that required to fight PP34 and the Paris Orly airport hotel. I also disagree in comparing payscales across the pond... literally apples and oranges.

It’s a shame, because the showboating distracts from the otherwise valid and excellent points raised. BALPA have embarrassingly folded, and it’ll affect BA pilots for years to come and adversely knock on to BALPA CCs across many other major airlines in the UK.
zero/zero is offline  
Old 31st Dec 2019, 08:02
  #572 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,838
Originally Posted by zero/zero View Post
It’s a shame, because the showboating distracts from the otherwise valid and excellent points raised. BALPA have embarrassingly folded, and it’ll affect BA pilots for years to come and adversely knock on to BALPA CCs across many other major airlines in the UK.

Agreed. TBH I have a feeling the "line" membership within BA haven't had the full story but looking ahead the on-going spat within the BACC isn't helping matters either.Yes, it is embarrassing.

My hope for the New Year is that some of the supposed shakers and movers with influence at BALPA (some reps, some ex-reps) stop stirring, put their big boy's pants on, start thinking about the membership rather than themselves and stop playing politics
wiggy is offline  
Old 31st Dec 2019, 20:30
  #573 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 40
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
Agreed. TBH I have a feeling the "line" membership within BA haven't had the full story but looking ahead the on-going spat within the BACC isn't helping matters either.Yes, it is embarrassing.

My hope for the New Year is that some of the supposed shakers and movers with influence at BALPA (some reps, some ex-reps) stop stirring, put their big boy's pants on, start thinking about the membership rather than themselves and stop playing politics
Agreed. It would still be nice though, just for once, if we the membership were not on the receiving end of a parent/child routine by the BACC. We had it for years under the previous incumbents and now sadly despite such promise are seeing it again. I certainly believed that the membership needed a slightly more upfront approach with the company but it would appear that the new lot are all mouth and no trousers.

The unedifying infighting is a sad thing to behold but not enormously surprising given the complete volte face just performed.
757drivergla is offline  
Old 31st Dec 2019, 23:27
  #574 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,838
Originally Posted by 757drivergla View Post
Agreed. It would still be nice though, just for once, if we the membership were not on the receiving end of a parent/child routine by the BACC. We had it for years under the previous incumbents ....
We did indeed, we are where we are (playing a game of catch up with regard to T&Cs which we will now never win) in part because of the behaviour of previous BACCs, not just the current incumbents who are now catching all the flak..but you wouldn't think it listening to some of the ex-reps.......oh no, nothing to do with them...
wiggy is offline  
Old 1st Jan 2020, 09:48
  #575 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: world
Posts: 24
Re the last few posts.
its not mandatory to be a Balpa member. Do what more of us are increasingly doing, vote with your feet and join the IPA. It may seem a lonely move but rest assured, you won’t be alone!
crusin level is offline  
Old 1st Jan 2020, 10:19
  #576 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Runcorn,Cheshire,England
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by crusin level View Post
Re the last few posts.
its not mandatory to be a Balpa member. Do what more of us are increasingly doing, vote with your feet and join the IPA. It may seem a lonely move but rest assured, you won’t be alone!
the IPA have no union recognition within BA. What use are they ? Have they any track record of collective bargaining in UK airlines?
3Greens is offline  
Old 1st Jan 2020, 11:39
  #577 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Anglia
Age: 51
Posts: 62
And BALPA do?
sarmonkey is offline  
Old 1st Jan 2020, 12:41
  #578 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,838
I’m certainly not one of the BALPA forum “rah rah” individuals, I think the BACC has been weak at the strategic level for years, but to be fair this once I think some of the current reps, (sadly some of them no longer on the BACC, but still active in the pool) do a lot of good work behind the scenes at a “tactical” level...




wiggy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.