Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > South Asia and the Far East
Reload this Page >

Vietnam Airlines (info please)

South Asia and the Far East News and views on the fast growing and changing aviation scene on the planet.

Vietnam Airlines (info please)

Reply

Old 5th Jan 2019, 11:38
  #1601 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 5
Hello there,

I see that Rishworth is advertising positions for B787 FOs with Vietnam airlines.
Can somebody give some info about this position? Meaning: average take home pay per month, roster, accomodation, upgrade opportunities, etc?

Thanks
Rotate15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2019, 22:40
  #1602 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2
Any info about low hour entry jobs in Vietjet or just in Vietnam ?
NicolaiN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2019, 21:07
  #1603 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 29
Never

Originally Posted by Rotate15 View Post
Hello there,

I see that Rishworth is advertising positions for B787 FOs with Vietnam airlines.
Can somebody give some info about this position? Meaning: average take home pay per month, roster, accomodation, upgrade opportunities, etc?

Thanks
My friend, the agencies are trying the imposible to bring pilots because many of local guys left to Bamboo Airways. They promise everything, but there are a lot of local guys waiting for the upgrade, and some foreigners flying 787 and 350 already. The real thing is that i don't think that the upgrade opportunity is real if some new guys are coming. They are recruiting a lot of local cadets also, more than 500 starting this 2019, so i don't think that even for the foreigners working for VNA already, will have any chance to be upgraded... is a joke the quantity of lies that the agencies are inventing with VNA. If you just want to be in VNA for a couple of years, i think is ok, but forget about any chance to be upgraded... That is a big lie. About the income, 9200 USD for FO A350 or 787. If you are alone, you can live with 1000 usd plus 1000 more for the rent ( just single room apartment ). If you are with wife and children, forget it... You will just survive month by month. You have to go by yourself to the airport ( 45 minutes from Hanoi or 30 minutes to 1 hour in Saigon ). Forget about drive a car, you will pay 30.000 usd for a car worth 10.000 usd out of VN. There are many good things, but not everything is good. The people is nice, but also the corruption and cheating is everywhere. This is a third world country, beautiful somehow, but not everybody could get use to this. So, as i said, if you just want to try for a couple of years, is perfect. After that i would recomend you to leave as soon as you can, because they just could fire you with 60 days notice, as they did with all the SFO one year ago, and if you don't have plan and savings... Would be a huge problem, because can't do many things with just 60 days. Think well, i am being asked for many friends about these positions also, my answer is the same, stay away ane never listen the lies of the agencies. One of them he came anyway, and after 2 months just left ( and i am talking about a Captain, you could imagine as FO ). I hope this could help. Good luck!!
Yesse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2019, 21:49
  #1604 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Yesse View Post

My friend, the agencies are trying the imposible to bring pilots because many of local guys left to Bamboo Airways. They promise everything, but there are a lot of local guys waiting for the upgrade, and some foreigners flying 787 and 350 already. The real thing is that i don't think that the upgrade opportunity is real if some new guys are coming. They are recruiting a lot of local cadets also, more than 500 starting this 2019, so i don't think that even for the foreigners working for VNA already, will have any chance to be upgraded... is a joke the quantity of lies that the agencies are inventing with VNA. If you just want to be in VNA for a couple of years, i think is ok, but forget about any chance to be upgraded...

That is a big lie. About the income, 9200 USD for FO A350 or 787. If you are alone, you can live with 1000 usd plus 1000 more for the rent ( just single room apartment ).

If you are with wife and children, forget it... You will just survive month by month. You have to go by yourself to the airport ( 45 minutes from Hanoi or 30 minutes to 1 hour in Saigon ). Forget about drive a car, you will pay 30.000 usd for a car worth 10.000 usd out of VN. There are many good things, but not everything is good.

The people is nice, but also the corruption and cheating is everywhere. This is a third world country, beautiful somehow, but not everybody could get use to this. So, as i said, if you just want to try for a couple of years, is perfect. After that i would recomend you to leave as soon as you can, because they just could fire you with 60 days notice, as they did with all the SFO one year ago, and if you don't have plan and savings... Would be a huge problem, because can't do many things with just 60 days.

Think well, i am being asked for many friends about these positions also, my answer is the same, stay away ane never listen the lies of the agencies. One of them he came anyway, and after 2 months just left ( and i am talking about a Captain, you could imagine as FO ). I hope this could help. Good luck!!
Hello Yesse,

Thank you for the detailed reply. Lots of useful information about the company.
Cheers
Rotate15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2019, 22:11
  #1605 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Yesse View Post

My friend, the agencies are trying the imposible to bring pilots because many of local guys left to Bamboo Airways. They promise everything, but there are a lot of local guys waiting for the upgrade, and some foreigners flying 787 and 350 already. The real thing is that i don't think that the upgrade opportunity is real if some new guys are coming. They are recruiting a lot of local cadets also, more than 500 starting this 2019, so i don't think that even for the foreigners working for VNA already, will have any chance to be upgraded... is a joke the quantity of lies that the agencies are inventing with VNA. If you just want to be in VNA for a couple of years, i think is ok, but forget about any chance to be upgraded... That is a big lie. About the income, 9200 USD for FO A350 or 787. If you are alone, you can live with 1000 usd plus 1000 more for the rent ( just single room apartment ). If you are with wife and children, forget it... You will just survive month by month. You have to go by yourself to the airport ( 45 minutes from Hanoi or 30 minutes to 1 hour in Saigon ). Forget about drive a car, you will pay 30.000 usd for a car worth 10.000 usd out of VN. There are many good things, but not everything is good. The people is nice, but also the corruption and cheating is everywhere. This is a third world country, beautiful somehow, but not everybody could get use to this. So, as i said, if you just want to try for a couple of years, is perfect. After that i would recomend you to leave as soon as you can, because they just could fire you with 60 days notice, as they did with all the SFO one year ago, and if you don't have plan and savings... Would be a huge problem, because can't do many things with just 60 days. Think well, i am being asked for many friends about these positions also, my answer is the same, stay away ane never listen the lies of the agencies. One of them he came anyway, and after 2 months just left ( and i am talking about a Captain, you could imagine as FO ). I hope this could help. Good luck!!
i know 2 p2f guys that started a couple of years ago. One is now on full fo salary over in jetstar and very happy.

the other is now on the 350 here in vn on full 350 fo salary. He is very happy slso.

seems tonhave been a pretty good move on their part. Worked out very well for them.
ia1166 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2019, 01:52
  #1606 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 29
And the upgrade?

Originally Posted by ia1166 View Post


i know 2 p2f guys that started a couple of years ago. One is now on full fo salary over in jetstar and very happy.

the other is now on the 350 here in vn on full 350 fo salary. He is very happy slso.

seems tonhave been a pretty good move on their part. Worked out very well for them.
And the promised upgrade that all the agencies are talking about? I hope you don't say that this is true.
Yesse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2019, 05:14
  #1607 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by Yesse View Post

And the promised upgrade that all the agencies are talking about? I hope you don't say that this is true.
The agency Iím with has not promised any upgrades but they have pretty much guaranteed a raise this year, It hasnít happened in the past three years, I donít see it happening this year either.

Iím more interested to know what you guys think about the latest revision to the FOM, more specifically where it talks about reserves, the way I understand it is weíre now basically available for the company 24/7, please correct me as I sincerely hope Iím wrong.
DonVitto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2019, 05:50
  #1608 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Here
Posts: 908
Originally Posted by ia1166 View Post


i know 2 p2f guys that started a couple of years ago. One is now on full fo salary over in jetstar and very happy.

the other is now on the 350 here in vn on full 350 fo salary. He is very happy slso.

seems tonhave been a pretty good move on their part. Worked out very well for them.
the p2f guys always seem to be better off...wonder why that is.
BAe 146-100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 13:40
  #1609 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: not sure
Posts: 12
You idiots. VNA for an expat CAN BE a good job if you are a DEC and looking for a change for whatever reason. It's an even better job if you are out of work and looking for a no-fuss, quick and easy interview, induction and check to line. Your salary isn't too bad and it does go a long way if you are a SINGLE guy. Vietnam in general is great for a single guy if you get my drift : ) The package is even better if one of their destinations is your home city or in close proximity to.

As with anything, the above things WILL NOT apply for everyone. If it doesn't, then VNA isn't for you. It certainly IS NOT a good job for a P2F (no P2F program is ever any good). And it certainly IS NOT a good job for an FO looking to upgrade, or for a Captain looking to transition to bigger equipment without paying for it. If you are one of these guys and still join with those aspirations, you are a FOOL. Stop having a cry on this forum when your 'promises' did not eventuate. You just didn't do your homework. What you are doing is tarnishing this OK job for most because you tried to apply a job that was never suited to your situation.
Sunliner81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 19:40
  #1610 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 29
How much?

Originally Posted by Sunliner81 View Post
You idiots. VNA for an expat CAN BE a good job if you are a DEC and looking for a change for whatever reason. It's an even better job if you are out of work and looking for a no-fuss, quick and easy interview, induction and check to line. Your salary isn't too bad and it does go a long way if you are a SINGLE guy. Vietnam in general is great for a single guy if you get my drift : ) The package is even better if one of their destinations is your home city or in close proximity to.

As with anything, the above things WILL NOT apply for everyone. If it doesn't, then VNA isn't for you. It certainly IS NOT a good job for a P2F (no P2F program is ever any good). And it certainly IS NOT a good job for an FO looking to upgrade, or for a Captain looking to transition to bigger equipment without paying for it. If you are one of these guys and still join with those aspirations, you are a FOOL. Stop having a cry on this forum when your 'promises' did not eventuate. You just didn't do your homework. What you are doing is tarnishing this OK job for most because you tried to apply a job that was never suited to your situation.
How much money is paying VNA for your coments? For your info, me and many others left VNA long time ago by ourselves. Nobody is crying here, just warning other colleages about the risks to left an stable job in another airline for another that could be not safe at all, yes, specially for FO's SFO'S and even Captains, and this is for all fleets, because the corruption there is a fact. Is their airline, i understand, but i had many SFO's friends who were fired just because they found some other business with some foreigner cadets who were paying a huge quantity of money for the training. So good bye to the safety, 3 runway excursions, one landing on the wrong runway, etc etc... And the guys fired they had a 5 years contract, they put the trust on VNA, and on 60 days they were out in the middle of the contract. This is what we are trying to asvise here for all those guys who don't know anything about VNA. Same as all those other colleagues who were fired with no reasons, humilliated and failed in the upgrade interview because they didn't pay the 25.000 USD under the table ( even many of them were much more ready than many other local pilots who were upgraded at that time... But yes... they paid the personal hidden fee ). So please, i don't know for who you ate working for, maybe you are one of those corrup local guys, but don't tell me that VNA is a good place to trust... After 15 years flying there, and as i always say, if you have no job, ok, but if you are flying for any other company, don't even think about VNA, the best thing, stay away.
Yesse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2019, 01:24
  #1611 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Domaine de la Romanee-Conti
Posts: 1,659
Well then don't be the guy that lands on the wrong runway or goes off the side of it. YOU can still be a safe captain here, if other people want to fly to a different standard, then that's their problem not yours. Sh!t is still going to happen occasionally because of the uniquely difficult and dangerous environment that we're in here, especially during rainy season, but honestly I have always found the safety management guys to be fair and decent when dealing with minor *** ups, as long as you made the captain report and didn't try to hide it. If you have a major major **** up that hits the headlines or writes off a jet, sure, you'll probably be gone, same with ALL airlines

Don't be the guy who pays money under the table. Despite your never ending claims to the contrary, you DON'T have to pay a single cent under the table money for anything here including the upgrade, IF they respect you and want to keep you around.

If they don't like you, and they don't particularly care if you stay or go, and if they think you have a weak personality and can be squeezed, and especially if they know you're already screwing your colleagues by paying the roster girls for nice roster, and ESPECIALLY if they know you constantly insult them and call them "monkeys" behind their back when you think they're not listening, then maybe they're gonna play money games with you at upgrade time. I wouldn't know

With regard to the 60 days notice, yep, just like every other contract job. If you get a better offer halfway through your 5 year contract, you, too, can give them 60 days notice and walk away with no penalty. And most people do.

With regard to the JPA Hanoi pilots, 1) it's JPA not VNA, and 2) I am 99% sure that most of them got given the offer to relocate to HCM and continue their employment. Maybe she didn't take that offer for personal reasons, maybe they didn't make her that offer for reasons of their own? I don't know the person. Every airline in the world opens and closes a base sometimes, and makes people redundant, Cathay did it not so long ago.

This place has some issues, but seriously for most people, the crap you keep talking about - 60 days notice period, under-the-table money, failing the upgrade interview - they are NOT problems that affect the majority of pilots here. Just a few guys. For some strange reason. I wonder why
Luke SkyToddler is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2019, 03:55
  #1612 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: not sure
Posts: 12
How much money is paying VNA for your coments?
Nothing, I no longer work there.

Nobody is crying here, just warning other colleages about the risks to left an stable job in another airline for another that could be not safe at all, yes, specially for FO's SFO'S and even Captains, and this is for all fleets, because the corruption there is a fact.
Leaving any job in a stable airline for a contract job in Asia carries some risk. I agree with you that for FOs, it is a poor choice for career progression. Disagree with you for Captains who want to remain on the A321.

corruption there is a fact.
Its Vietnam, what do you expect? Corrupt or not corrupt, they pay you to fly, and if you fly correctly, you do not hear from them. Life was good for me and my buddies.

i had many SFO's friends who were fired
They were not fired. They had their contracts terminated due to surplus requirements (i.e. cheaper local pilots and P2F fools) in accordance with the contracts that they signed. Like I said before, coming here as an FO carries alot of risk. But they signed the contract...

they put the trust on VNA
Very foolish.

Same as all those other colleagues who were fired with no reasons
Never heard of any expat CAPTAIN who has been fired for no reason. Some have been fired for screwing up, which happens in every airline.

but don't tell me that VNA is a good place to trust... After 15 years flying there, and as i always say, if you have no job, ok, but if you are flying for any other company, don't even think about VNA, the best thing, stay away.
I didn't say that you can trust VNA. I'm saying it can be a good job if you already a Captain, want to remain on the A321 and enjoy the Vietnamese lifestyle for 6 weeks at a time.
Sunliner81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2019, 09:25
  #1613 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by DonVitto View Post


The agency I’m with has not promised any upgrades but they have pretty much guaranteed a raise this year, It hasn’t happened in the past three years, I don’t see it happening this year either.

I’m more interested to know what you guys think about the latest revision to the FOM, more specifically where it talks about reserves, the way I understand it is we’re now basically available for the company 24/7, please correct me as I sincerely hope I’m wrong.
sorry, i missed this with all the white noise. Yes it is. A blank day is not a day off required by FOM. Required off days are noted as so on your roster.

For anyone getting more than minimum rest. 350 and 787 , and guys on more than 6 and 2.

The 321 guys on 6 and 2 or better won't be affected by this.



ia1166 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2019, 10:34
  #1614 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 29
So?

Whatever you say. The thing is, would you recommend to any of your friends to work for VNA? Would you encourage any A350 or 787 FO to come to VNA with the hope of being upgraded?? Would you recomend any guy flying for Qatar, Emirates, or any other airline with undefined contract to change for VNA? That's the point!!!!
Yesse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2019, 10:56
  #1615 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Domaine de la Romanee-Conti
Posts: 1,659
If you had ever actually worked in the middlle east you wouldn't even have to ask that question

There's one thing that all the ex QR guys here can agree on, leaving that place and coming here was the best thing we ever did

Last edited by Luke SkyToddler; 12th Jan 2019 at 12:07.
Luke SkyToddler is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2019, 12:25
  #1616 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nihon
Posts: 0
My posts have been erased !!!!!
kimono1950 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2019, 17:07
  #1617 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: not sure
Posts: 12
Would you encourage any A350 or 787 FO to come to VNA with the hope of being upgraded??
Yesse, for the third f*king time....NO I DO NOT recommend any FOs to come to VN with the hope of being upgraded. I totally agree with you on this one.

However, I will not discourage captains coming here looking for a tree-change, especially from wannabe legacy airlines such as Qatar and Emirates. Itís all the same shit, just a different environment which is what some captains are looking for.
Sunliner81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2019, 07:46
  #1618 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Sunliner81 View Post


Yesse, for the third f*king time....NO I DO NOT recommend any FOs to come to VN with the hope of being upgraded. I totally agree with you on this one.

However, I will not discourage captains coming here looking for a tree-change, especially from wannabe legacy airlines such as Qatar and Emirates. Itís all the same shit, just a different environment which is what some captains are looking for.
i have spoken to a number of guys about coming here. The ones that did are still here. As i am.

So how bad can it be?
ia1166 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2019, 12:03
  #1619 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Eagles Nest
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by kimono1950 View Post
My posts have been erased !!!!!
Perhaps you should stop your racist insults by calling people ďmonkeysĒ and your posts will stay !
wingdeagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2019, 12:05
  #1620 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 29
Doubts

Originally Posted by ia1166 View Post


i have spoken to a number of guys about coming here. The ones that did are still here. As i am.

So how bad can it be?
Well, with these arguments, i have not anything else to say. I am happy of not being one of your recommended friends to go there. There are a few guys who were really happy due to clean and kiss some soft parts of the managers... Being upgraded to A350, 787 or they were forgiven when they made some huge mistakes... when they were almost out of the business due to the age. They will be always grateful with VNA. I see many of them here. So yes... now i can understand better your good opinion about that shiitty and corrupt company. Thanks God i am far away from there already, but you will never silent my voice to warn other colleagues to make the biggest mistake in their career joining VNA. Better Jetstar or even Vietjet, but VNA, specially for FO's A350 or 787... better forget about this place. Soon or later you will regret!! That's it, and i am saying the truth, and i will repeat 10000 more times!!
Yesse is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service