Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > South Asia and the Far East
Reload this Page >

Vietnam Airlines (info please)

South Asia and the Far East News and views on the fast growing and changing aviation scene on the planet.

Vietnam Airlines (info please)

Old 25th Sep 2018, 09:21
  #1581 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nihon
Posts: 5
Pay rise ? Ha hahahahahahah !
kimono1950 is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2018, 10:19
  #1582 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 944
I like the way it says pay increase expected.
kwaiyai is offline  
Old 29th Sep 2018, 14:37
  #1583 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Courchevel
Posts: 825
So 4 on 4 off and 5 on 3 off is only for instructors according to the FCI website that's a bit crap. I don't think they're going to increase the $$ as it wasn't long ago they did the increment thing but I guess if they cannot get pilots then money talks.
Count von Altibar is offline  
Old 30th Sep 2018, 03:41
  #1584 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Here
Posts: 947
There has been expected pay increase since 2007 and its never happened, as long as they can get people then nothing will change. Theres never a shortage of desperate guys waiting to join just round the corner.
BAe 146-100 is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2018, 17:49
  #1585 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4
Good evening everyone, may i ask which agency is the best suited for work out there? FCI and Rishworth both seem to have contracts however, i was told of a third but cannot seem to find it? Does one have to use an agency or can one simply apply directly? Upon reading all the posts on here the last one regarding the interview process was some 4 yours ago. Is there any “new” changes to prepare for i.e. written test and sim for the airbus fleets? I my self am in my mid 50’s airbus rated. I was told to use ace the pilot interview, is this sufficient to study? Smooth flights to you all, hope that you all get the payrise sonner rather than later.
machngm is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2018, 05:25
  #1586 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: D7
Posts: 4
Third one is PARC. For the interview, there's multiple choice questions with majority of the items coming from Smart Cockpit. Interview portion for my case were mostly airbus specific questions and Low Vis procedures. Nothing from the Ace book, but it's always different questions with different interviewers. Good luck.
PoyCNC is offline  
Old 11th Nov 2018, 19:18
  #1587 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 35
Hiring A350 FO's

My gosh, and now they are "trying" to hire FO's for the A350?? And the most important, they said with upgrade opportunity? I really don't know if to laugh or cry, hahaha!!!!! Who will be the brave one who will even think about it?? When one year ago they fired all expat FO's and asked the expat captains to reduce their roster pattern to 4x4 because they had too many pilots? Now many of the local pilots left to Bamboo Airways and they need to cover the huge hole they have, and then, when they don't need you anymore, good bye again with 60 days notice. Don't trust any agency guys, everything is a joke, really. But if someone dares to join VNA after all things happened, up to you. I just did what i think i had to do for my colleagues. This place is not safe anymore, you will just cover the need they have for a while, then they will get rid of you, same as one year ago. Good luck!!
Yesse is offline  
Old 11th Nov 2018, 22:14
  #1588 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 24
First rule of the contract pilot. You are only as good as your last pay check.

thats the point.
ia1166 is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2018, 10:48
  #1589 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by ia1166 View Post
First rule of the contract pilot. You are only as good as your last pay check.

thats the point.
Yes, specially with VNA
Yesse is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2018, 09:59
  #1590 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: hang on let me check
Posts: 611
It’s simple, if you’re don’t want to deal with different mentalities and ways you stay at your local LCC and do 4 legs every day for 30 years (unless your country offers a good legacy and you’re good/lucky enough to get in).

IF NOT, then you enjoy different experiences throughout your career that even 20 years ago would be unthinkable, and accept the this comes with some downsides and risks.

Up to you.
bringbackthe80s is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2018, 12:02
  #1591 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by Yesse View Post


Yes, specially with VNA
i disagree. No more than anywhere else. The point of being a contract pilot is you are only here until the host has enough local guys to replace you. Then you get a contract somewhere else.

i have been here nearly 15 years. 5 years longer than i expected. And i expect to be here at least another 5 years if i want to be. I may look to move if no salary increase comes along sson. But i dont see them replacing all the expats in the next 5 years, maybe more.

as a contractor, you are still a temporary post holder though. Take it or leave it. Any downturn, we will be the first out the door..
ia1166 is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2018, 13:22
  #1592 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 35

Originally Posted by ia1166 View Post


i disagree. No more than anywhere else. The point of being a contract pilot is you are only here until the host has enough local guys to replace you. Then you get a contract somewhere else.

i have been here nearly 15 years. 5 years longer than i expected. And i expect to be here at least another 5 years if i want to be. I may look to move if no salary increase comes along sson. But i dont see them replacing all the expats in the next 5 years, maybe more.

as a contractor, you are still a temporary post holder though. Take it or leave it. Any downturn, we will be the first out the door..
Look, i agree with all that you said, they can fire you whenever they want, is their company, ok. The point is that they did it already last year, firing with 60 days notice all expat FO's, and why? Because they had a business with Mr Patella who was bringing expat cadets, these guys paid 100.000 USD to VNA for the training ( one of these cadets told me personally ) without salary, just an apartment in Royal City for the first year. If they quit before 5 years, they loose the money. Of course, all of them knew that was just an investment and they will loose the money, and VNA also. So, 1 million USD per 10 expat cadets, such an amazing business, plus no salary, much cheaper than a proffesional SFO. So this is how VNA works in general. Yesterday was good, today so so, but tomorrow will be not better. I have been there 15 years also, and around one year ago i left VNA, and yes, maybe you know me, but of course i will not reveal who am i. The idea is ro warn all other colleagues about VNA, specially SFO, because now they are looking for A350 FO's. Sorry, but you can't say they will be safe here. With the A350 TR, if they give you the 60 days notice, tell me where will you find a new job. So that's why, don't believe the agencies, there is not any kind of upgrade apportunity, unless you know the right person to pass him/her 25.000 usd under the table. So, if you are flying A350 in some other company and your position is at least stable, don't risk that stability, soon or later you will value that the most. And just in case somebody forgot, here are the numbers again. Explain that pale!!

Yesse is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2018, 13:57
  #1593 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by Yesse View Post


Look, i agree with all that you said, they can fire you whenever they want, is their company, ok. The point is that they did it already last year, firing with 60 days notice all expat FO's, and why? Because they had a business with Mr Patella who was bringing expat cadets, these guys paid 100.000 USD to VNA for the training ( one of these cadets told me personally ) without salary, just an apartment in Royal City for the first year. If they quit before 5 years, they loose the money. Of course, all of them knew that was just an investment and they will loose the money, and VNA also. So, 1 million USD per 10 expat cadets, such an amazing business, plus no salary, much cheaper than a proffesional SFO. So this is how VNA works in general. Yesterday was good, today so so, but tomorrow will be not better. I have been there 15 years also, and around one year ago i left VNA, and yes, maybe you know me, but of course i will not reveal who am i. The idea is ro warn all other colleagues about VNA, specially SFO, because now they are looking for A350 FO's. Sorry, but you can't say they will be safe here. With the A350 TR, if they give you the 60 days notice, tell me where will you find a new job. So that's why, don't believe the agencies, there is not any kind of upgrade apportunity, unless you know the right person to pass him/her 25.000 usd under the table. So, if you are flying A350 in some other company and your position is at least stable, don't risk that stability, soon or later you will value that the most. And just in case somebody forgot, here are the numbers again. Explain that pale!!

any fo contract is fraught with danger. I think some of the guys looking at the fo 350 are also looking at a 320 command in the future. In any event i am sure they can make their own mind up.
ia1166 is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2018, 14:19
  #1594 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by ia1166 View Post


any fo contract is fraught with danger. I think some of the guys looking at the fo 350 are also looking at a 320 command in the future. In any event i am sure they can make their own mind up.
Yes, any FO contract is dangerous, but in VNA is more than anywhere else. Remmeber, they fired all of them last year. And about the command upgrade on A320, as long as they could bring indians and russian pilots, no upgrade for expat FO's in VNA. Only a few years ago they gave upgrade to some FO's, but that will not happen again with all new local cadets and all local FO's waiting for their chance for the left seat. Lets be realistic and don't give hope when there are not. I could tell you a few stories about some SFO who were fired because they didn't pay the 20-25 grand under the table, and some others who paid and then they fail them
in the sim for some ridiculous situations, like the subjetive CRM.
Yesse is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2018, 16:35
  #1595 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nihon
Posts: 5
Last year, 10 SFO were nominated for the upgrade course and guess what ? They have been fired !

Do not believe these monkeys´ lies !
kimono1950 is offline  
Old 14th Nov 2018, 06:12
  #1596 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by kimono1950 View Post
Last year, 10 SFO were nominated for the upgrade course and guess what ? They have been fired !

Do not believe these monkeys´ lies !
only 3 FO's were upgraded. One is the son of one pilot XXX, the other 2 italians, and you know about italians... In fact, there was a famous trouble with one of those italians ( they both paid the 25 grand under the table ) because one of them failed the interview, because they confused his name with the name of another guy who went with him the same day to the interview. The other guy passed, and the italian fail, even paying the 25.000. This italian guy was so angry, and finally they request to the guy who passed to repeat the interview 2 months after. Then they both were angry, and the guy who passed said "no way" to repeat the interview when he passed already. They fired him and today the italian who failed is flying as Captain. This is VNA.
Yesse is offline  
Old 4th Dec 2018, 12:52
  #1597 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Domaine de la Romanee-Conti
Posts: 1,680
I did my upgrade a few months ago. I'm not Italian, or anyone's son. I was never pressured or suggested to pay anything under the table to anyone. My sim partner was also foreign, I'm sure he would say the same thing 100%.

Yes some unprofessional behaviour went down a couple of years ago with how the A321 and the A330 FOs were treated, also some of the A330 captains, I won't deny any of that, but let's not just make up B.S. about how they fired "everyone", and nobody got upgraded without paying black money.

Not trying to start a fight with anyone, just stating the facts
Luke SkyToddler is offline  
Old 5th Dec 2018, 11:56
  #1598 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Here
Posts: 947
Wouldn’t happen to be a aussie would it.
BAe 146-100 is offline  
Old 5th Dec 2018, 13:08
  #1599 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 35
Not paid under the table??

Well, if when i was upgraded long time ago, i should have pay some extra coins under the table... i would say the same words as you say. I know this facts by first hands. One thing is for sure, if you pay under the table, you will never put ON the table now that you had to pay. Cheers and congrats!!
Yesse is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2019, 11:38
  #1600 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 7
Hello there,

I see that Rishworth is advertising positions for B787 FOs with Vietnam airlines.
Can somebody give some info about this position? Meaning: average take home pay per month, roster, accomodation, upgrade opportunities, etc?

Thanks
Rotate15 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.