Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

PIA A320 Crash Karachi

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

PIA A320 Crash Karachi

Old 1st Jun 2020, 07:23
  #961 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 336
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parkfell

"ROD ? In reverse centre engine.."

The Trident could use reverse on the outer engines in flight. Although people speak nostalgically of RoDs of 12000+, clearly the risk of catching up the cabin had to be considered. However, it did make it easier to reduce speed and height simultaneously.
It has to be stressed that in a hot and high situation close to the airport, gradient is more important than losing height at high speeed.
As a corollary, in a visual circuit there is never any point in proceeding downwind at high speed past the airport.
scotbill is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 07:28
  #962 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne
Age: 68
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first started with an Airline on the B737 it was a matter of pride to be able to keep the speed on till late as possible , flap on schedule and thrust up and stable at 500’. Easiest way to get down was 320 knots and speed brake. Then hold your nerve. As long as your below profile everything is sweet. Today impossible. 250 knots below 10,000 and other even more restrictive company limits killed it. Obvious advantage is no more pesky QAR squawks but major, major downside nobody under the age of 40 has any idea of what the aircraft can do. Maybe not an issue if all you want to do is keep line flying nice and simple but a real problem when a crew finds themselves outside the envelope. I’ve seen perfectly competent crew hit the tilt switch when taken outside their comfort zone. Not their faulty , they’ve just never been allowed to experience it. But thats the brave new world.......
George Glass is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 07:54
  #963 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,323
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by George Glass
When I first started with an Airline on the B737 it was a matter of pride to be able to keep the speed on till late as possible , flap on schedule and thrust up and stable at 500’. Easiest way to get down was 320 knots and speed brake. Then hold your nerve. As long as your below profile everything is sweet. Today impossible. 250 knots below 10,000 and other even more restrictive company limits killed it. Obvious advantage is no more pesky QAR squawks but major, major downside nobody under the age of 40 has any idea of what the aircraft can do. Maybe not an issue if all you want to do is keep line flying nice and simple but a real problem when a crew finds themselves outside the envelope. I’ve seen perfectly competent crew hit the tilt switch when taken outside their comfort zone. Not their faulty , they’ve just never been allowed to experience it. But thats the brave new world.......
I think that pride you speak of may have been this crews end.
Contact Approach is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 08:07
  #964 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne
Age: 68
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Contact Approach
I think that pride you speak of may have been this crews end.
Two crews can be in exactly the same position and the outcomes diametrically opposite.
I have noticed a big change over the last 30 years in how comfortable individuals are in the aircraft.
Personally, once the doors are closed I’m in my element. Love it. But I cant say the same of many of the younger generation.
Too much cookie-cutter training. Not enough flying the aircraft. Not enough passion for flying.
George Glass is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 08:21
  #965 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,346
Received 275 Likes on 133 Posts
When I first started with an Airline on the B737 it was a matter of pride to be able to keep the speed on till late as possible , flap on schedule and thrust up and stable at 500’. Easiest way to get down was 320 knots and speed brake. Then hold your nerve.
On a line check you had to do the same thing but do it using the autopilot because it was assumed that you knew how to actually fly.
Lookleft is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 08:22
  #966 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 724
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airbus flight from Karachi to Le Bourget is en route. Presently over the med, expected to land at 1130Z. They have the cvr and dfdr on board. flight number is AIB1889. Read out is going to start tomorrow..
fox niner is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 08:35
  #967 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,323
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fox niner
Airbus flight from Karachi to Le Bourget is en route. Presently over the med, expected to land at 1130Z. They have the cvr and dfdr on board. flight number is AIB1889. Read out is going to start tomorrow..
Let's hope they remember to put the gear down...
Contact Approach is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 08:54
  #968 (permalink)  

de minimus non curat lex
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sunny troon
Posts: 1,491
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by George Glass
..........Personally, once the doors are closed I’m in my element. Love it. But I cant say the same of many of the younger generation.
Too much cookie-cutter training. Not enough flying the aircraft. Not enough passion for flying.
The motivation behind the decision of young people to go flying continues to be questioned by those of a certain age. Passion often being one missing component.

The puppy farms as commercial outfits are really only interested in one thing ~ profit.

The ability to pay through the bank of Mum & Dad is often the case. They think of it as gaining ‘Status’ in society.

Depends upon the culture. Back in the 1990s, BAeFC trained Cathay students from Hong Kong ethnic Chinese only. There was difficulty getting recruits from time to time, as the ‘status’ was regarded similar to that of a taxi or bus driver.

My view is that pilots are best able to choose prospective pilots, not HR, or ‘recruitment experts’.
There are a number of what appears to be innocent questions which in reality are the ‘under arm test’.
Mental arithmetic for a start.
Q.1 what is the square root of 81?
Q.2 what is the cube of 9?

Old fashioned ~ Moi?
parkfell is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 09:59
  #969 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Somewhere South
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slowing an aircraft down - it is a matter of energy levels. High speed and high altitude aircraft possess an abundance of both Kinetic and Potential energy. As profile drag increases as the square of IAS, then increasing drag (Speedbrakes, etc) at high speed will destroy more energy than it will at lower speeds. Slowing the aircraft down and then using speed brakes will not have as much effect as using the speed brakes at high speed before reducing.
PaulH1 is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 10:05
  #970 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: EDLB
Posts: 370
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by parkfell
Mental arithmetic for a start.
Q.1 what is the square root of 81?
Q.2 what is the cube of 9?

Old fashioned ~ Moi?
That would result in a huge pilot shortage. Today you can be happy if those questions can be answered with the use of a pocket calculator.
Ballpark mental arithmetic was necessary in the slide rule time, because it did not give you the decimal magnitude.
SA and having the „big“ picture or at least some idea to analyse a situation or measurement is difficult to teach. And still you learn every day something new.

But I don‘t think that the median intelligence deteriorated a lot. It is more the problem of your memory that glorifies the past.
EDLB is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 10:13
  #971 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: South East Asia
Posts: 110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jolihokistix
So heavily dosed on medication? Now we’re getting into the realm of the absurd, or perhaps not, but this is Rumours & News, so let’s go one further and ask if, as with the case of the mysterious Malaysian pilot, they might not have spent lockdown playing games on a flight simulator. This could account for the matter-of-factness and lack of alarm in the quiet dreamy voice we hear on the recording.
I read that a significant number of Covid-19 patients have no visible symptoms of the disease, no fever, no cough, no breathlessness, but they are found to have an extremely low blood oxygen saturation level. Combine this with increased cabin altitude and the result could easily be hypoxia and reduced capacity to function. That could account for one hole in the cheese, but of course not why the other pilot didn't take corrective action.
he1iaviator is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 10:21
  #972 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Somewhere South
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EDLB
That would result in a huge pilot shortage. Today you can be happy if those questions can be answered with the use of a pocket calculator.
Ballpark mental arithmetic was necessary in the slide rule time, because it did not give you the decimal magnitude.
SA and having the „big“ picture or at least some idea to analyse a situation or measurement is difficult to teach. And still you learn every day something new.

But I don‘t think that the median intelligence deteriorated a lot. It is more the problem of your memory that glorifies the past.
So you are told to descend to FL180 to be level 20 before **** . Are you saying that you would get a calculator out? Even programming the FMS takes time which could result in a late descent. A quick mental calculation while looking out of the cockpit; - do I need to go down now then start descent and programme FMS on the way down or; I do not need to descend now so programme FMS first.

My grandson is thinking of becoming a pilot and I am instilling in him the necessity to practice and practice and practice his mental arithmetic. If he makes any calculation using a calculator then he must do a mental gross error check. For instance when buying fuel in US Gallons and then converting to Litres/KG and Pounds it is all too easy to get the digit in the wrong place.
PaulH1 is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 10:49
  #973 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Pilgrim's AWY
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fatigue

Regarding fatigue risk assessment, does anybody knows about this crew duty on that day, as well as previous ones. I'm talking not only about days before that but also the monthly roster, because due to shortened flights, being out of the flight deck for a long period can be an issue sometimes.
Connie Wings is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 10:57
  #974 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: More or less all over the place
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH1
Slowing an aircraft down - it is a matter of energy levels. High speed and high altitude aircraft possess an abundance of both Kinetic and Potential energy. As profile drag increases as the square of IAS, then increasing drag (Speedbrakes, etc) at high speed will destroy more energy than it will at lower speeds. Slowing the aircraft down and then using speed brakes will not have as much effect as using the speed brakes at high speed before reducing.
The art of flying requires controlling all factors in the equation . . .
You need to chew gum and walk at the same time…
learner . . .
learner001 is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 11:33
  #975 (permalink)  

de minimus non curat lex
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sunny troon
Posts: 1,491
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulH1
So you are told to descend to FL180 to be level 20 before **** . Are you saying that you would get a calculator out? Even programming the FMS takes time which could result in a late descent. A quick mental calculation while looking out of the cockpit; - do I need to go down now then start descent and programme FMS on the way down or; I do not need to descend now so programme FMS first.

My grandson is thinking of becoming a pilot and I am instilling in him the necessity to practice and practice and practice his mental arithmetic. If he makes any calculation using a calculator then he must do a mental gross error check. For instance when buying fuel in US Gallons and then converting to Litres/KG and Pounds it is all too easy to get the digit in the wrong place.
Hope you grandson is progressing well with his sums. The old saying ‘garbage in, garbage out’.
Paper One of the Scottish SQA maths exams, for NAT5 (‘O’ level / GCSE) is without calculators.
Paper Two allows calculators.

The final comment probably three years ago, somewhat tongue in cheek(?), by the Chief Training Captain of a well known National Airline to a group of us MPL simulator instructors was
“if nothing else, at least make sure they know how to multiply and divide by three before they leave you.....”.
A quiet chuckle went around the room.
parkfell is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 12:23
  #976 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 98
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by he1iaviator
I read that a significant number of Covid-19 patients have no visible symptoms of the disease, no fever, no cough, no breathlessness, but they are found to have an extremely low blood oxygen saturation level.
Where did you read that? And exactly what percentage is a "significant number"? I think the combination you are talking about (low blood oxygen, and NO other symptoms) is probably negligible.
donotdespisethesnake is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 12:41
  #977 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Leicester
Posts: 73
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EDLB
That would result in a huge pilot shortage
Sadly that's the smallest of problems right now... Unless you mean a shortage of huge pilots?
DaveJ75 is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 13:49
  #978 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Posts: 24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donotdespisethesnake
Where did you read that? And exactly what percentage is a "significant number"? I think the combination you are talking about (low blood oxygen, and NO other symptoms) is probably negligible.
Maybe not symptomless overall - but not struggling to breathe despite low O2 saturation

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk...arving-them-of

andycba is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 14:31
  #979 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: South East Asia
Posts: 110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Symptoms or not, the point being that a Covid infected pilot may be susceptible to hypoxia.
he1iaviator is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 15:13
  #980 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 98
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by he1iaviator
Symptoms or not, the point being that a Covid infected pilot may be susceptible to hypoxia.
I think by definition, if hypoxia affected decision making, his colleague would have noticed, taken control and declared a medical emergency. OTOH, if it was not enough to affect decision making then it was not a factor.

However, I am sure the investigators will give due consideration to the possibility it was a factor, and make appropriate recommendations.
donotdespisethesnake is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.