PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2020, 11:33
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulH1
So you are told to descend to FL180 to be level 20 before **** . Are you saying that you would get a calculator out? Even programming the FMS takes time which could result in a late descent. A quick mental calculation while looking out of the cockpit; - do I need to go down now then start descent and programme FMS on the way down or; I do not need to descend now so programme FMS first.

My grandson is thinking of becoming a pilot and I am instilling in him the necessity to practice and practice and practice his mental arithmetic. If he makes any calculation using a calculator then he must do a mental gross error check. For instance when buying fuel in US Gallons and then converting to Litres/KG and Pounds it is all too easy to get the digit in the wrong place.
Hope you grandson is progressing well with his sums. The old saying ‘garbage in, garbage out’.
Paper One of the Scottish SQA maths exams, for NAT5 (‘O’ level / GCSE) is without calculators.
Paper Two allows calculators.

The final comment probably three years ago, somewhat tongue in cheek(?), by the Chief Training Captain of a well known National Airline to a group of us MPL simulator instructors was
“if nothing else, at least make sure they know how to multiply and divide by three before they leave you.....”.
A quiet chuckle went around the room.