Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

M1 Visa or no Visa and SEVIS approved schools in the USA

Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

M1 Visa or no Visa and SEVIS approved schools in the USA

Old 5th May 2018, 18:40
  #261 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1
US EASA flight training

Has anyone recently done their EASA ATPL in the states? I have been looking at schools such as those in Florida and tried searching on here but the posts seem a little out of date.

any advice or experiences would be much appreciated,

thanks

SurreyFlyer
SurreyFlyer123 is offline  
Old 5th May 2018, 21:29
  #262 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Oahu
Posts: 105
https://www.pilotcareercenter.com/Pi....-Aviation-LLC
r10bbr is offline  
Old 6th May 2018, 14:51
  #263 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Age: 42
Posts: 327
Surrey flyer - do you mean ATPL or something else? Normally you'll do your ATPL test at your airline as part of an LPC/OPC
rudestuff is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2018, 17:00
  #264 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North carolina
Posts: 1
Flight training

Hello,
Can anyone share experience or a recomendation of flight school in california or anything up in the north east for commercial traning. Florida like california seems ideal, but seems alot of flight school theres have more reputation of whats in your pocket other than your education. As i have some of my friends there have experience, once you alredy invested on them. Good bye! I aim to look for transparency and equality of flight training, not coming off some b.s adverstisement of pilot shortage you should enroll to us bla bla..
Flightofbagayna is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2018, 18:08
  #265 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Colombia
Posts: 1
Exclamation Choosing the right flight school

Hello everyone!

I'm from Colombia and I'm looking for the right flight school. I've seen a lot of schools but some of them are too expensive and the other ones don't convince me in terms of quality of training. Ive checked schools in FL, TX, CA, but the location doesn't matter to me if it has good weather conditions. Here are some of the schools I've seen.

-Epic Flight Academy
-American Flyers
-Global Atlantis
-Fly Safety
-Aeroguard
-L3 Aviation
-Sunrise Aviation
-CAE flight Academy
-Wayman Aviation
-2Fly airborne
-Aviator Collegue
-Phoenix East Aviation
-Florida Flyers Flight Academy
-ATP
-Flying Academy Miami
-Dean International Flight School
-ADF airways

Do you guys recommend me one of them or another? I'll be really glad to read your comments.

Thanks a lot!
felipe2407 is offline  
Old 1st May 2019, 08:19
  #266 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Belgorod, Russia
Posts: 7
add another one

Originally Posted by felipe2407 View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm from Colombia and I'm looking for the right flight school. I've seen a lot of schools but some of them are too expensive and the other ones don't convince me in terms of quality of training. Ive checked schools in FL, TX, CA, but the location doesn't matter to me if it has good weather conditions. Here are some of the schools I've seen.

-Epic Flight Academy
-American Flyers
-Global Atlantis
-Fly Safety
-Aeroguard
-L3 Aviation
-Sunrise Aviation
-CAE flight Academy
-Wayman Aviation
-2Fly airborne
-Aviator Collegue
-Phoenix East Aviation
-Florida Flyers Flight Academy
-ATP
-Flying Academy Miami
-Dean International Flight School
-ADF airways

Do you guys recommend me one of them or another? I'll be really glad to read your comments.

Thanks a lot!
Straightly advise you to add Crystal Aero (FL) to your short list. Passed PPL&IR there.
Rkon is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 16:26
  #267 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2
Flight training in USA or Canada. Which is better ?

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum here and I'm a wannabe pilot too. I'm currently doing an undergraduate course in aeronautical engineering and I'll be finishing it by April 2020 and after this I want to pursue a career as an airline pilot. But I'm really torn between pursuing my flight training in Florida or Canada.
I've heard that the Canadian Immigration and visa processes are easier and after a few years of working there I can get a PR. Whereas the US isn't as immigrant friendly these days ?( Just telling what I've heard :/). Also Canada has affordable flight training and better overall training as I'll be flying in different weather conditions when compared to Florida or anywhere in the States. My plan is to work in either of these places and I have no plans of returning back to India so what do you think how my job oppurtinities are going to be in USA or Canada.
Pilots of this forum I'd really like your opinions on this and it'll be highly appreciated.
AviaToR50 is offline  
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 23:15
  #268 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 4
Hey AviaToR50,
our school in Oregon has a so called F1 Visa which allows you to train and then work for 23,5 month in the US. This is one of the easiest way to get some experience and you can move to Canada afterwards and convert your FAA license to the TC license by just doing a few written tests. Some of my friends have done that and they have the advantage of coming into Canada with over 1500h, which makes the job-hunt much easier and makes them more interesting for companies to sponsor their permanent residency.
NWHeliPilot is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 17:15
  #269 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Madrid
Posts: 6
Hi guys,
I'm planing to go to U.S two months to do the time building, probably the IFR(FAA) and maybe the CPL(FAA) , if it was just the time building I know with an ESTA Visa (90 days) is enough but since IFR and CPL is a study program would it be enough with the ESTA, or will I need an M1 visa?
IDG77 is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 20:06
  #270 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by IDG77 View Post
Hi guys,
I'm planing to go to U.S two months to do the time building, probably the IFR(FAA) and maybe the CPL(FAA) , if it was just the time building I know with an ESTA Visa (90 days) is enough but since IFR and CPL is a study program would it be enough with the ESTA, or will I need an M1 visa?
If you are only timebuilding, the ESTA is enough. However, if you are doing the IFR rating or multi engine flight training, you need a TSA backgroundcheck. You can apply for that here: flightschoolcandidates.gov but you will need information from the flightschool and they have to confirm that you are training with them. The current wait time is around 2 weeks, which is not bad.
If you want to fly solo, you also need to get a foreign based FAA license. For that you have to fill out a form and send it to the FAA. Just google: AC 8060-71
I would recommend you find a school that knows the procedures and helps you with this!
NWHeliPilot is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2020, 10:07
  #271 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Madrid
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by NWHeliPilot View Post
If you are only timebuilding, the ESTA is enough. However, if you are doing the IFR rating or multi engine flight training, you need a TSA backgroundcheck. You can apply for that here: flightschoolcandidates.gov but you will need information from the flightschool and they have to confirm that you are training with them. The current wait time is around 2 weeks, which is not bad.
If you want to fly solo, you also need to get a foreign based FAA license. For that you have to fill out a form and send it to the FAA. Just google: AC 8060-71
I would recommend you find a school that knows the procedures and helps you with this!
Thanks for the info, I still have to decide what school Ill go to, so if they can take care of all the paper work better, I just like to know all the steps.
IDG77 is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 14:26
  #272 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: toronto
Posts: 1
Canadian

Hey guys a quick question. I am a Canadian citizen. And I wish to do flight training in the US part time, Id be doing less than 18 hours a week of flight training. Essentially I do my own ground school and I only go
to fly. It would be at a part 61 school. Does anyone know what kind of visa I need to be able to do this??
Ana Valencia is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 01:06
  #273 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 522
Probably M1. Requires a Part 141 school and it must be SEVP certificated. A database of these schools is maintained by Homeland here https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search

The M1 is available only to full-time students so requires attendance (not the same as dual instruction hours!) of 18 or 22 hours a week. Border commuter students are exempt from the minimum attendance requirement. Either way as a Canadian citizen no physical visa will be issued but you do need the I20 certificate.

The attendance requirement is also not applied if you are admitted to US with status in a different class, eg TN status (working as a NAFTA professional) or because you’re from an aboriginal group (Jay Treaty), etc. See the guide Nonimmigrants: Who Can Study? published by SEVP (pdf link).
selfin is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.