PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - M1 Visa or no Visa and SEVIS approved schools in the USA
Old 20th Nov 2017, 20:34
Sepp

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Greetings all,

I hold a current EASA ATPL with a rating on a type 'bigger' than 12,500lb. I have been offered work that will require me to hold an FAA ATPL and a new rating on a much heavier type. Licence is currently being validated.

I intend to take the ATP-CTP course at one Flight Safety facility, the knowledge test at a CATS facility local to that FSI centre, and then transfer to a second FSI centre for the type rating and ATP check ride.

TSA ought [!] not to be a problem - I've been through the process for my current type rating, and no details have changed since then - however, do I need three separate approvals? Or two? Or one? This question can, I believe, be answered by the training provider but I include it here as the answer might help someone else.

The $64,000 question is, of course, what visa is required? If I understand things correctly, the current 20k lb rating and foreign licence puts me in TSA's Cat 2... so, M1?

All help greatly appreciated!