Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

M1 Visa or no Visa and SEVIS approved schools in the USA

Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

M1 Visa or no Visa and SEVIS approved schools in the USA

Old 12th Sep 2015, 16:50
  #221 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 2,418
Does anyone know if one can obtain an FAA Commercial Single Engine addon followed by a CFI rating on a B1 visa ?
No, initial CPL requires a visa.
You would have known that if you'd read just a couple of pages....
B2N2 is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2015, 13:41
  #222 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1
finishing up FAA PPL with ground school online, entering US with B1/B2

Hello guys,
I am new here and I know this can be silly questions but I have applied for a PPL course in Florida. they told me that I can finish the PPL with them for 2-3 weeks (because the ground school will be online) and I am able to get there with my B1/B2 visa, which mean, I will be taking the knowledge test and some flights training when I get there. So is it correct to go with my B1/B2 visa? my TSA clearance is approved. (as they stated on the website that the TSA clearance would be denied if I didn't have appropriate visa.) and I have my medical certificate ready.

I am worried cause I have been reading a lot of posts on the website and everyone is confusing between the waiver/M1/B1 and B2.
So I just would like to clarify because I am leaving in few days to finish up my PPL. I don't know If I actually needed to M1 which some schools offer that but I need months to complete the course with those schools, which I don't have time to do so. I will be doing it on my one month vacation along with some visitings. Thats why I decided to do this option with ground school online because I can't take months off work.

....and as one of my colleges (we are cabin crews), she had done her PPL in Florida as well. but she didn't tell the immigration the whole story when she passed through the immigration and she just told them she was going to visit friends. I don't think it was a wise idea to do so cause you could screw your passport pretty much if they found out later and when she needed to renew the visa or some sort of things?

I have checked with the flight school. and they said I can tell them that I am there for some flying lessons? and that's what I am going to tell them so. But it would be horrible if I got sent back, It is not a short flight, nearly 20hours from my base.

I would like to advice please!
thank you everyone in advance!!
(I really should read more comments and reviews about this more carefully before I applied.)
pachs is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2015, 14:59
  #223 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London (FAA CPL/CFI)
Posts: 146
No confusion, any pilot training undertaken requires an M1 visa. It's not difficult to get, the school must send you an I-20 which you take to the Embassy.

The immigration officer will need to stamp that, and see a SEVIS receipt once you land in the US. The school should know this.
ahwalk01 is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2015, 15:08
  #224 (permalink)  
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 170
I am not an expert on the whole U.S. visa process, but I do have a friend who overseas the visa office at a U.S. consulate in Asia and I do have another acquaintance who was a CBP officer.
So here is what I do know - never, never NEVER(!!!!) mislead them about what your intentions are when coming to the United States. It is far better to take the appropriate steps and get the visa stuff done the right way the first time. The CBP officers will have access to all of the information you provided when you applied for your visa at the embassy/consulate, as well as notes and other information entered by the officer who processed your visa application.
So if you lie, or mislead them, they can find out. And if they do you will most likely be refused entry and barred from entering the United States for at least five years or longer. Most likely it will be longer - I know of people who made honest and small mistakes who ended up being barred for life. For example there was a woman who was from a visa waiver country (allowed 90 day visits to the U.S. without a visa) and was married to a United States citizen. She entered the United States with the mistaken impression that being from a VW country that she could enter and then apply for residency to be with her U.S. citizen husband. Long story short five years down the road her and her husband are still fighting to try and have her allowed entrance back into the United States after being barred for life.

Anyway I am not trying to scare you about the process. Rather trying to emphasise that the trouble to do it correctly in the first place pales in comparison to the trouble you will face trying to correct doing it the wrong way.
NEDude is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2015, 15:56
  #225 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: london
Age: 56
Posts: 425
Yes, you can.

The school cannot legally issue an I-20 to give you an M1 unless you are enrolled in a course of 18hrs a week or more. That piece of advice came from a TSA inspection at a flying school run by a friend. In reality the abuse of this particular item is actually the opposite to what you are trying to do, ie people apply for an M1 and then work/jump ship.

Yes, you should be honest at the point of entry. Depending on where you fly into , your B1/B2 will allow you to go via one of the automated terminals that print an entry slip that you hand in to the customs guy on the way out.

In reality, having a visa is a good step and definiitely one better than entering under ESTA. A B1/B2 is a respectable visa for short term entry. I have used it myself for just what you describe, with honesty. If you are doing adhoc flight training, have done your TSA, have a visa and already have an airport ID if you are working as cabin crew it is extremely unlikely that you will have any issues. A lot of people will tell you otherwise, but have never done it either.

>No confusion, any pilot training undertaken requires an M1 visa

... is confused. No pilot training requires a visa. People require visas. Pilot training below 12500lbs MTOW requires TSA clearance for three well defined circumstances.

Pilot training for the initial issue of a private ( or cpl if first stand alone faa licence) , multi or instrument rating requires Cat 3 TSA.

You can quite happily add a float or rotary rating to a land certificate for example without TSA.

TSA is not specific about visas, but expects you to be legal/resepctable about your entry.

TSA have in the past asked me to prove that I was legally in the USA when I had to apply for a permission whilst inside the USA, I sent them a copy of my B1/B2 which worked just fine.

Hope that helps

Last edited by custardpsc; 12th Oct 2015 at 16:09.
custardpsc is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2015, 21:10
  #226 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 2,418
No it doesn't help.

We have a mega thread stickied for that reason.


Advise from a friend, I was told this, I was told that doesn't hack it.

Only Part 141 SEVIS approved schools can provide flight training to Foreign nationals that do not hold a Green card.

You're mixing up two things:
(because the ground school will be online) and I am able to get there with my B1/B2 visa, which mean, I will be taking the knowledge test and some flights training when I get there
Online training is to pass the Written Test, it is NOT Ground school required for your Private Pilot Training course.
No matter how much or how little training you do...any training for the (original) issuance of a Pilot certificate ...requires a visa.
Because you're not a US Citizen.

they said I can tell them that I am there for some flying lessons?
The school knows that they are NOT telling you the truth and they are asking YOU to lie to an Immigration Officer as you are NOT going for some flying lessons you are going to train, pass a check ride and be issued a pilot certificate.

B2N2 is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2015, 17:44
  #227 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mare Nostrum
Age: 37
Posts: 1,394
Centerline Thrust

If a foreigner already holds a FAA commercial certificate with a centerline restriction, and they want to remove it, do they need to get a Visa for flight training?
zondaracer is offline  
Old 25th Dec 2015, 00:59
  #228 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 2,418
I'm going to take a stab at this and say NO...as there is no increase in skill level considering the pilot in question already holds a CPL ME (centerline restricted)
B2N2 is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2016, 21:57
  #229 (permalink)  
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Inside the storm
Age: 39
Posts: 147
Hi there.
I need an advise as to which type of visa i need to apply for my ATP CTP.The school told me that they don't provide I-20 for the ATP CTP so is the B1/B2 visa ok to apply with a letter proving i'm going for the course?
thanks for the input
alpha-b is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 01:16
  #230 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Diego/London
Posts: 92
As per, the entire thread, you need to find a sevis approved school that can issue you an I-20 and either a M/F visa.
turbopropulsion is offline  
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 07:32
  #231 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: airport
Posts: 1
sinlge engine add on

sorry if this question has already answered .

i hold a FAA commercial multi engine
and i want to add my single engine rating.

can i join usa with tourist visa for this purpose?
cpt_cessnas is offline  
Old 18th May 2016, 17:07
  #232 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 71
Hi there,

Is it normal that a flight school asks me $500 to issue the i20 ?

Thank you guys
Piloto Maluco is offline  
Old 20th May 2016, 14:35
  #233 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 154
Is it normal that a flight school asks me $500 to issue the i20 ?
Yes it is.. specially the initial ones if first time with them.
spaflyer is offline  
Old 20th May 2016, 16:58
  #234 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 71
thanks for your prompt reply spaflyer
Piloto Maluco is offline  
Old 30th May 2016, 11:18
  #235 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 71
I've been in touch with a flight school that do not issue I20 form, and the director told me that there is no problem, I just need to scan him my passport and visitor visa.
I will risk to go to jail, isn't it?
Piloto Maluco is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2016, 01:47
  #236 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: istanbul
Posts: 3
Do anyone has a knowledge that Can I fly with the A1 visa(which is diplomatic visa)or not?I contacted TSA,FAA and most of pilot schools no one has clear information about that
kural1984 is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2016, 20:59
  #237 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Spain
Posts: 5
Indeed, that practice is illegal and you could get into serious trouble with US Customs, worst you end up in jail. Happened to an Egypcian guy at Florida Flyers in FL, just for staying too long or sth similar; and this school does issue I-20 ! Unthinkable to not get it before going to the US.
FoxtrottSierra is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2016, 00:59
  #238 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the mix muff
Age: 39
Posts: 171
Hi flyers
If any of u can clarify me i have a B1/B2 visa and was getting ready to come to the US for th ATP CTP isn't that possible?
N1 Limit is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2016, 01:13
  #239 (permalink)  
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by N1 Limit View Post
Hi flyers
If any of u can clarify me i have a B1/B2 visa and was getting ready to come to the US for th ATP CTP isn't that possible?
B1/B2 is a tourist / business visa, the school you use, may be able to transfer you to an M1 visa. I'd call them and ask to clarify, or call a few schools to make sure they're all saying the same thing. I did my IR addon on a visa waiver, you might be ok with the ATP.
rossauk is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2016, 10:42
  #240 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Oz
Posts: 1
I am trying to establish what I need to do to convert my CA$A Grade 2 FIR to FAA equivalent. I havent read deep enough into this post to dare poke my head up with questions yet.

However, when I rang the US Consulate in my city, they directed me to this webpage. It asks questions to try and assist you in determining which type of VISA you will require. Perhaps give it a crack and compare it to what you are being told by flying training provider. Which ever result is the encompassing - go with that. Getting barred from entry will def sink you before you've started. Best of luck.

smellycat_heli is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.