Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

UK unveils new next generation fighter jet, the 'Tempest'

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

UK unveils new next generation fighter jet, the 'Tempest'

Old 20th Feb 2024, 12:27
  #421 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 17,829
Received 1,901 Likes on 852 Posts
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/over...ealth-fighter/

Over £1.8 billion spent so far on new stealth fighter

This is part of a budget of over £12 billion over the next 10 years.

The information came to light via a written response to a parliamentary question. James Cartlidge, Minister of State for the Ministry of Defence, stated:

“The March 2021 Defence Command Paper reaffirmed that that we will invest more than £2 billion in the Future Combat Air System (FCAS) out to 2025, and we have spent over £1.8 billion so far. This is part of a budget of over £12 billion over the next 10 years. The amount that we ultimately invest will be determined at future decision points.

Furthermore, the Ministry of Defence has invested over £1.1 billion in R&D through the Future Combat Air System Technology Initiative (FCAS TI), with a further £600 million from our Team Tempest industry partners to date.”

….Under the current timeline, the programme expects to begin the formal development phase from 2025, with a demonstrator to fly in 2027, and production aircraft to begin entering service from 2035.
ORAC is online now  
Old 6th Apr 2024, 22:07
  #422 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Just behind the back of beyond....
Posts: 4,202
Received 62 Likes on 12 Posts
They showed a new model of GCAP at WDS. It's certainly a lot better looking than the 'Pregnant Pelican' full scale mock up.


Jackonicko is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 7th Apr 2024, 07:00
  #423 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,680
Received 408 Likes on 245 Posts
"Over £1.8 billion spent so far on new stealth fighter" is true as far as it goes but a little misleading - more accurate to say the money was spent on keeping BAe and others in business. Look tathe announcement the other day on teh money spent on "research" into a new UK N warhead - its the cost of maintaining an industry really
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2024, 07:40
  #424 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sussex
Posts: 48
Received 117 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
"Over £1.8 billion spent so far on new stealth fighter" is true as far as it goes but a little misleading - more accurate to say the money was spent on keeping BAe and others in business. Look tathe announcement the other day on teh money spent on "research" into a new UK N warhead - its the cost of maintaining an industry really
In your humble opinion of course. What's your point? Defence is of key strategic importance.
Think of it as money spent protecting the entire investment made on health, education, social welfare et.al. It:s also the price paid to stay at the cutting edge of technology and 'soft power' globally. I'd say the money spent is an absolute bargain. I'd wager the NHS alone wastes more money in one year than these defence budgets over their entire lifespans.
In my humble opinion of course.
​​​
Uberteknik is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by Uberteknik:
Old 7th Apr 2024, 08:19
  #425 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,680
Received 408 Likes on 245 Posts
"Defence is of key strategic importance."

I agree of course ,as do almost everyone on here - but not to politicians, the Great British Public or most of the rest of the country. The issue starts when someone "weaponises" statements like "
Over £1.8 billion spent so far on new stealth fighter" and then suggests that this is outrageous waste, korupsi, madness and it should instead be spent on pensioners, the NHS, tax cuts...................... and that's what happens.

No-one ever sets out a coherent, consistent, long term strategy or UK defence/defence industry - it all seems to be made up every week to meet the latest photo call/Daily Mail headline..




Asturias56 is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2024, 09:07
  #426 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sussex
Posts: 48
Received 117 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
"Defence is of key strategic importance."

I agree of course ,as do almost everyone on here - but not to politicians, the Great British Public or most of the rest of the country. The issue starts when someone "weaponises" statements like "
Over £1.8 billion spent so far on new stealth fighter" and then suggests that this is outrageous waste, korupsi, madness and it should instead be spent on pensioners, the NHS, tax cuts...................... and that's what happens.

No-one ever sets out a coherent, consistent, long term strategy or UK defence/defence industry - it all seems to be made up every week to meet the latest photo call/Daily Mail headline..
Ahhh. My bad. Apologies. Should have gone to Specsavers lol. Yes, agree and thanks for the clarification.
Uberteknik is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2024, 10:55
  #427 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,680
Received 408 Likes on 245 Posts
No problem...............
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2024, 11:05
  #428 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: York
Posts: 630
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
Nothing to do with air combat procedures

I believe that what can go wrong will go wrong - and to carry out an exercise with "poor exercise planning leaving the Typhoons encumbered by role equipment without the kit to remove it " may have inadvertently flagged a possible issue that presumably will stay with those responsible and (hopefully) ensure that if things turn hot they will remember the incident. We've managed to lose an F-35 due to simple procedures being forgotten/waived/ignored.
Out of interest (having re-roled and de-roled more fast jets that I care to remember) what specific kit do you need to remove role equipment from a Typhoon?
dctyke is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2024, 17:33
  #429 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,680
Received 408 Likes on 245 Posts
No idea - see Easy Streets post #405 last november above
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2024, 18:01
  #430 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around
Posts: 1,212
Received 118 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by dctyke
Out of interest (having re-roled and de-roled more fast jets that I care to remember) what specific kit do you need to remove role equipment from a Typhoon?
Quite, but reading back the post 405, I'm guessing stillages for drop tanks? VAPs?
downsizer is online now  
Old 8th Apr 2024, 13:02
  #431 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 122
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Apologies if this is old information, but a very interesting read nonetheless:
https://www.aerosociety.com/news/the...ay-is-tempest/
Canary Boy is offline  
Old 8th Apr 2024, 16:00
  #432 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wherever it is this month
Posts: 1,804
Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by downsizer
Quite, but reading back the post 405, I'm guessing stillages for drop tanks? VAPs?
Bingo. It was a few days in India enroute back from some east Asian exercise; they only had the kit which could be transported on the tanker, and if memory serves correctly even that was effectively hand tools only as the tanker had had to land at a different airfield. Of course, being British we were too polite (insecure?) to say "no" or perhaps even "you must be joking" to an invitation to some diplomatically-motivated activity, so BFM with tanks on against clean Su-27s it was, generating predictably awful PR for Typhoon in what should have been the prime of its export life. Still, got some nice photos eh?
Easy Street is offline  
Old 18th May 2024, 12:58
  #433 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Under a recently defunct flight path.
Age: 77
Posts: 1,378
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Designing Tempest from the inside out

Article in the RAeS blog. A veritable smorgasbord of acronyms! Interesting reading though.
Lyneham Lad is offline  
Old 18th May 2024, 13:02
  #434 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Near the coast
Posts: 2,383
Received 641 Likes on 181 Posts
ES

Originally Posted by Easy Street
Bingo. It was a few days in India enroute back from some east Asian exercise; they only had the kit which could be transported on the tanker, and if memory serves correctly even that was effectively hand tools only as the tanker had had to land at a different airfield. Of course, being British we were too polite (insecure?) to say "no" or perhaps even "you must be joking" to an invitation to some diplomatically-motivated activity, so BFM with tanks on against clean Su-27s it was, generating predictably awful PR for Typhoon in what should have been the prime of its export life. Still, got some nice photos eh?
Iíve heard that story before and always took it with a pinch of salt. Letís be honest, if any potential customer was naive or ignorant enough to decide against a purchase of Typhoon based on such a scenario then they probably werenít in a position to be making such decisions.

BV
Bob Viking is offline  
Old 20th May 2024, 17:41
  #435 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: England
Posts: 597
Received 301 Likes on 149 Posts
Interesting that the MOD isn't brave enough to re-use the name `Spitfire`. Hallowed turf for sure.
DogTailRed2 is online now  
Old 20th May 2024, 17:53
  #436 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 350/3 Compton
Age: 76
Posts: 810
Received 450 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathrow Harry
Originally Posted by DogTailRed2
Interesting that the MOD isn't brave enough to re-use the name `Spitfire`. Hallowed turf for sure.

Perhaps Shrew then?
Mogwi is offline  
Old 20th May 2024, 19:09
  #437 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Quite near 'An aerodrome somewhere in England'
Posts: 26,868
Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
As I explained 18 years ago, naming multi-national aircraft to avoid national sensitivities can be difficult:

EF2000 Bureaufighter was named 'Typhoon' after a meeting between 'they-who-eat-Sauerkraut' and others some years ago..........

UK: "We need a name for this new jet. We don't think that Spitfire II would be terribly suitable, so we suggest a name following on the 'wind' tradition started by Tornado. How about 'Tempest'?"

t-w-e-S: "Nein. We are with this not happy being. Verdammte Englanders did my father in his Me262 mit ein Hawker Tempest shoot down. Ve suggest Sturm!"

UK: "No, sorry old chap. Too many memories of Storm Troopers goose-stepping across Europe..... We'd prefer 'Hurricane'"

t-w-e-S: "Nein. This is not possible."

UK: "OK - something else then. How about 'Typhoon'.....?"

t-w-e-S: "Nein! You also had those in the Second Weltkrieg. Ve do NOT vant unser aircraft so named being....

UK: "Ah - but you had a 'Typhoon' or rather 'Taifun' as well. Me 108 Taifun, if you recall....!"

t-w-e-S: "Himmel! Sie haben recht. Ve did indeed. Perhaps ve can consider this?"

UK: "OK - perhaps. Or what about 'Cyclone'? No-one had any aeroplane called 'Cyclone'?"

t-w-e-S: "Hmm. Sehr interesting. Zis ist perhaps OK. Ja - ve are liking 'Cyclone', oder, wie sagt man auf Deutsch, 'Zyklon'. Ve can fur das Singleseaterflugzeug 'Zyklon A' have, und fur das Doppelseaterjagdbomberflugzeug, vielleicht 'Zyklon B'......"

UK: "Ahhh - we don't think that would be a terribly good name. We want to sell our jet overseas. We don't think that 'Zyklon B' would go down terribly well with some of our potential customers. Such as Israel....."

t-w-e-S: "Ach so. Perhaps then ve should agree on 'Taifun'!"

UK: "Yes. ‘Typhoon’ it is then. Spot of lunch, old chap?"

t-w-e-S: "Danke
BEagle is online now  
The following 6 users liked this post by BEagle:
Old 21st May 2024, 15:38
  #438 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 900
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lyneham Lad

Designing Tempest from the inside out

Article in the RAeS blog. A veritable smorgasbord of acronyms! Interesting reading though.
I think you meant:

https://www.aerosociety.com/news/des...he-inside-out/
steamchicken is offline  
Old 21st May 2024, 21:59
  #439 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Under a recently defunct flight path.
Age: 77
Posts: 1,378
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by steamchicken
Indeed I did - no idea how the wrong url was used! Thanks for the correction.
Lyneham Lad is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.