The Caribbean and Latin America Aviation has been around South America and the Caribbean since the early days. A forum for aviators from that part of the world.

Copa Airlines

Old 24th Jun 2020, 23:17
  #41 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 7
Apologies for my crude answer, but Copa is firing pilots 737 and E190 right now. As far as I know it's impossible to being hired with them at this time.
Maverick.11 is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2020, 15:39
  #42 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,768
Copa advertising for F/Os ?

https://www.copaair.com/en/web/gs/hu...ce=SkyJobs.com

bafanguy is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2020, 19:40
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Panama
Posts: 5
No. They are not hiring and won't hire for the next couple of years. About 500 pilots furloughed that need to get back to work first, and then about 200 on their flight training school program waiting to get in, and then about 500 local pilots with hiring priority waiting.
737Maxlover233 is offline  
Old 14th Nov 2020, 00:45
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 548
I don't think they ever took that down.
Climb150 is offline  
Old 14th Nov 2020, 01:20
  #45 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: hang on let me check
Posts: 632
Originally Posted by 737Maxlover233 View Post
No. They are not hiring and won't hire for the next couple of years. About 500 pilots furloughed that need to get back to work first, and then about 200 on their flight training school program waiting to get in, and then about 500 local pilots with hiring priority waiting.
couple of decades you meant
bringbackthe80s is offline  
Old 14th Nov 2020, 11:22
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,768
Originally Posted by 737Maxlover233 View Post
No. They are not hiring and won't hire for the next couple of years. About 500 pilots furloughed that need to get back to work first, and then about 200 on their flight training school program waiting to get in, and then about 500 local pilots with hiring priority waiting.

Yes, that's what I thought was the actual situation hence the ? in my post. The ad just popped up yesterday but didn't have a date so I thought I'd ask. Not sure why a job website would post such an ad these days.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2021, 07:52
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: phoenix
Age: 39
Posts: 3
Any updates on the COPA hiring pool? Have they started recalling pilots? Its been almost a year since the last post and things are turning around for sure in the states.
pedex is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2021, 14:26
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Panama
Posts: 5
There's no more 'hiring pool'. They have recalled almost all pilots on leave, and all will possibly be active by years end. After that, internal upgrades will follow for command positions, already announced. No direct entry captain anymore, they have plenty ready from within. As for FO new hires, it will probably start early next year, but they will only hire panamanians for the forseeable future.
737Maxlover233 is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2021, 20:45
  #49 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Amantido
Posts: 936
How many panamanians pilots are out there? Panama is a relatively small country, are there enough of them to sustain Copa's operational needs?
Banana Joe is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2021, 16:07
  #50 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Around the world
Posts: 26
Copa hiring first officers and captains. Good luck to all the ones interested.
randon is offline  
Old 20th Oct 2021, 13:43
  #51 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Amantido
Posts: 936
Is the information on PPJN still applicable or have there been big permanent changes due to Covid?
Banana Joe is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2021, 22:19
  #52 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Panama
Posts: 1
They have about 20-40 Panamanian flight students on schedule for entry as FOs. They are sourced directly from their flight school. The school has about ninety students spread around all license courses, with a group that began training on October. The ones that had finished flight school were previously on pause during the pandemic, but on November 1st a first group of eleven just started Initial 737 Ground School. There is a job posting now on their webpage for Panamanian AAC License holders. These external positions might begin the process on Q1 next year if predictions and passenger flight demand stay the same or increases.

Most furloughed pilots have been slowly coming back. There are some FOs still pending for reinstitution, but it is a minority group now.
rlam12 is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2021, 19:40
  #53 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6
Hello gents,

I applied for the FO position on October 19th, and received an email few days ago telling me to complete a form (asking for personal info, flight hours, ICAO English, if I am vaccinated, etc.). Do they send this to everyone? Or only for pre-selected people? Will I receive an invitation for the screening process soon? Also, is the screening process the same as in latestpilotjobs, with the Seneca SIM, the poly, and the ATP written?

Bear in mind that I applied via a reference of a good friend working with Copa, so don't know if that is going to help me getting an invitation. In the application platform, my application status is ''en consideracion'' (spanish)

Thank you,
Youssef Khribi is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2021, 12:42
  #54 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by Youssef Khribi View Post
Hello gents,

I applied for the FO position on October 19th, and received an email few days ago telling me to complete a form (asking for personal info, flight hours, ICAO English, if I am vaccinated, etc.). Do they send this to everyone? Or only for pre-selected people? Will I receive an invitation for the screening process soon? Also, is the screening process the same as in latestpilotjobs, with the Seneca SIM, the poly, and the ATP written?

Bear in mind that I applied via a reference of a good friend working with Copa, so don't know if that is going to help me getting an invitation. In the application platform, my application status is ''en consideracion'' (spanish)

Thank you,
it seems a number of people got the same form to complete. I also got one as well. Not sure what and when the next step is.
p_alleyne is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2021, 15:59
  #55 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by p_alleyne View Post
it seems a number of people got the same form to complete. I also got one as well. Not sure what and when the next step is.
The interesting part is that when I adressed the situation to two current Copa pilots, they both told me that not everyone receive that email, heck one of them even told me to be ready to get a call! But later on, another Copa pilot told me that everyone receive that email as it is an automated message... I also sent an email (found the contact on PCC website) but not sure if it is the correct email address for the department.

Anyone got an email of a phone number for Copa's HR?
Youssef Khribi is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2021, 22:36
  #56 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Earth
Posts: 63
How does one apply without a Panamanian license? I know before covid it was 250 hr min if you had a Panamanian CPL, or 1000 if you ICAO license. Now all I see is min 350 hours, Panamanian license, no ICAO option listed, and the job ads are all in Spanish...
a334 is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2021, 03:08
  #57 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: phoenix
Age: 39
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by a334 View Post
How does one apply without a Panamanian license? I know before covid it was 250 hr min if you had a Panamanian CPL, or 1000 if you ICAO license. Now all I see is min 350 hours, Panamanian license, no ICAO option listed, and the job ads are all in Spanish...
This is my question too. I currently live stateside but am a Panamanian Citizen. I have close to 300 hours and my CFI-A and was planning on building time to get close to 500 and my multi before applying to Copa so I can move back there. Does anyone have any insight or resources they can point me to regarding the process of converting? Its good to hear that they are hiring again and hoping that my luck of being born there and being fluent in Spanish will help me.
pedex is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2021, 04:50
  #58 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by a334 View Post
How does one apply without a Panamanian license? I know before covid it was 250 hr min if you had a Panamanian CPL, or 1000 if you ICAO license. Now all I see is min 350 hours, Panamanian license, no ICAO option listed, and the job ads are all in Spanish...
I still applied even though I got no Panamanian license. What I learnt from this industry is to play all my cards and give it a go. Unless stated "MANDATORY".

Good luck
Youssef Khribi is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2021, 14:02
  #59 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by Youssef Khribi View Post
The interesting part is that when I adressed the situation to two current Copa pilots, they both told me that not everyone receive that email, heck one of them even told me to be ready to get a call! But later on, another Copa pilot told me that everyone receive that email as it is an automated message... I also sent an email (found the contact on PCC website) but not sure if it is the correct email address for the department.

Anyone got an email of a phone number for Copa's HR?
I was also told it was automated but I guess just have to wait and see. Unfortunately I do not have a number for their HR. It seems they are quite busy as well.
p_alleyne is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 01:33
  #60 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by pedex View Post
This is my question too. I currently live stateside but am a Panamanian Citizen. I have close to 300 hours and my CFI-A and was planning on building time to get close to 500 and my multi before applying to Copa so I can move back there. Does anyone have any insight or resources they can point me to regarding the process of converting? Its good to hear that they are hiring again and hoping that my luck of being born there and being fluent in Spanish will help me.
No idea on the conversion process. Maybe give a call to a local Panamanean flight school. You got the advantage of the nationality, maybe a local turboprop operator in Panama will hire you as they are now looking for FO's in Copa and will probably hire all the guys coming out of sponsored programs as well as local pilots... As for the Spanish language, I am as well fluent in Spanish but Canadian. I applied via a reference working with Copa Colombia (Wingo), I hope to get a response soon just to know how the process will go or if I am better getting off and come back with more hours and a Panama license...
Youssef Khribi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.