Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian citizenship in canadian aviation

Canada The great white north. A BIG country with few people and LOTS of aviation.

Canadian citizenship in canadian aviation

Old 9th Jul 2019, 07:18
  #21 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: France
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Futurepilot1991 View Post
Thank you for all these informations 👍👍👍
god bless you
Futurepilot1991 is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2019, 08:09
  #22 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: France
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by +TSRA View Post
As far as this question is concerned, it depends on the airline(s) you apply to and how quickly you build time.

If you've got 1000 hours now, you'll be looking to log about another 1500 or so before a respectable medium jet operator (Air Canada, WestJet, Sunwing, Transat) would seriously entertain your application. Air Canada has a program set up with their Express carriers for movement to Big Red that could get you in the door quicker. Jazz has the biggest part of that pie and that is likely your best bet in the short to medium term to build time and get to narrow body somewhat quickly. The ALPA teams at WestJet and Encore are trying to figure out how to bring a version of their One-List back into play and if that does come back, that could make for an attractive spot as it has the potential to carry seniority over, which the AC system does not. It wouldn't be anywhere near as quick as the AC system, but it has the potential of carrying seniority, which as you will learn is more important in the long run. Speaking French darned near makes your resume gold for Transat, and Sunwing is a great spot if you're single and able to go to Europe during the summer. Even if you're not single, I know people who've moved their families over during the summer and they live the renting lifestyle.

Either way, don't wait for something "better" to come along if you're applying to multiple places. Apply to where you want to work first and if you don't hear back, apply to the places you're willing to work at. The train could stop tomorrow and you want to make sure you've got a good seat when it does.
so you mean that by joining one of : AC,WESTJET,TRANSAT OR SUNWING i Will fly widebody jets(a320/b737) from Day one or i need to spend another couple of years in narrow body jet before moving to bigger one
Futurepilot1991 is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2019, 01:07
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wherever I go, there I am
Age: 38
Posts: 658
so you mean that by joining one of : AC,WESTJET,TRANSAT OR SUNWING i Will fly widebody jets(a320/b737) from Day one or i need to spend another couple of years in narrow body jet before moving to bigger one
Well, first you'll have to make sure you understand your terms. Narrow body refers to the likes of an A320/B737 or any similar sized, single-aisle transport category aircraft. Widebody refers to the likes of a 767/A330 or similar size, multi-aisle transport category aircraft.

Sunwing and Swoop (I forgot about them in the previous post) are the only operators that currently fly only narrow-body aircraft, so that is where you would stay. Canadian JetLines may, or may not, be joining that list by December if you believe the hype...but that is the hype that's been brewing since I think 2013 without fact-checking, so I'll believe it when I see it.

WestJet has narrow and widebody aircraft, however, off-the-street (OTS) hires do not go to the widebody aircraft. That's going to the senior guys and it would be a while before you saw widebody. WestJet plays second fiddle to Air Canada, but I'd keep my eye on them, especially if it's a year or two before you'd be applying to a major airline. The buyout deal with Onex, if it goes through, could be a very good thing in the long run.

Air Canada and Transat have both narrow body and wide body, and both go to new hires depending on what the requirements are for the class. I know of people who started and they were all E190 pilots at AC and at AT I know of guys who went straight onto the A330. AC is in the process of buying AT. They've said the two airlines will be operated separately, in a similar way that Air France and KLM are operated, but winds change and there was a day Air Canada was flying the Canadian Goose on its tails (a different situation I know).
+TSRA is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2019, 07:41
  #24 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: France
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by +TSRA View Post
Well, first you'll have to make sure you understand your terms. Narrow body refers to the likes of an A320/B737 or any similar sized, single-aisle transport category aircraft. Widebody refers to the likes of a 767/A330 or similar size, multi-aisle transport category aircraft.

Sunwing and Swoop (I forgot about them in the previous post) are the only operators that currently fly only narrow-body aircraft, so that is where you would stay. Canadian JetLines may, or may not, be joining that list by December if you believe the hype...but that is the hype that's been brewing since I think 2013 without fact-checking, so I'll believe it when I see it.

WestJet has narrow and widebody aircraft, however, off-the-street (OTS) hires do not go to the widebody aircraft. That's going to the senior guys and it would be a while before you saw widebody. WestJet plays second fiddle to Air Canada, but I'd keep my eye on them, especially if it's a year or two before you'd be applying to a major airline. The buyout deal with Onex, if it goes through, could be a very good thing in the long run.

Air Canada and Transat have both narrow body and wide body, and both go to new hires depending on what the requirements are for the class. I know of people who started and they were all E190 pilots at AC and at AT I know of guys who went straight onto the A330. AC is in the process of buying AT. They've said the two airlines will be operated separately, in a similar way that Air France and KLM are operated, but winds change and there was a day Air Canada was flying the Canadian Goose on its tails (a different situation I know).
THANK YOU for the answer , sorry 😁😁😁 i thought that a320/b737 are widebodies . So what do we call planes like BOMBARDIER and DASH , Q400 . And Let's reform the question : Will i fly directly a320 And b737 after joining these company or i Will spend another years in a planes like BOMBARDIER , DASH , Q400
Futurepilot1991 is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2019, 16:53
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wherever I go, there I am
Age: 38
Posts: 658
Originally Posted by Futurepilot1991 View Post
THANK YOU for the answer , sorry 😁😁😁 i thought that a320/b737 are widebodies . So what do we call planes like BOMBARDIER and DASH , Q400 . And Let's reform the question : Will i fly directly a320 And b737 after joining these company or i Will spend another years in a planes like BOMBARDIER , DASH , Q400
First, there really isn’t a specific term for a transport category aircraft the size of a Q400. Technically, it would be narrow-body, but you’d get weird looks referring to it as such. Turbo-prop is about as tech-y as it gets.

Second, as far as what you’ll fly, it really comes down to who you apply to and what they need at the time. No one has a crystal ball. I’ll try and rephrase my previous post as I thought I was fairly clear.

Sunwing, Swoop, Air Transat, WestJet, and Air Canada do not fly turbo-props. So whatever aircraft you’re put on when joining these companies, they’re going to be at least narrow-body jets, maybe wide-body if that’s what’s AT or AC need for your class.

However, your experience (1,000 hrs) does not permit you to apply to one of these operators and realistically expect a response, so you’d be looking to Jazz, Porter, Encore and the like who do fly Q400’s or CRJ’s to build your time.

So yes, you’re likely going to spend some time in the seat of a Q400 or CRJ before getting to a narrow-body jet. It’s a big jump for many people from a Cessna to a Q400, never mind to a 737/A320.
+TSRA is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2019, 21:53
  #26 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: France
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by +TSRA View Post


First, there really isn’t a specific term for a transport category aircraft the size of a Q400. Technically, it would be narrow-body, but you’d get weird looks referring to it as such. Turbo-prop is about as tech-y as it gets.

Second, as far as what you’ll fly, it really comes down to who you apply to and what they need at the time. No one has a crystal ball. I’ll try and rephrase my previous post as I thought I was fairly clear.

Sunwing, Swoop, Air Transat, WestJet, and Air Canada do not fly turbo-props. So whatever aircraft you’re put on when joining these companies, they’re going to be at least narrow-body jets, maybe wide-body if that’s what’s AT or AC need for your class.

However, your experience (1,000 hrs) does not permit you to apply to one of these operators and realistically expect a response, so you’d be looking to Jazz, Porter, Encore and the like who do fly Q400’s or CRJ’s to build your time.

So yes, you’re likely going to spend some time in the seat of a Q400 or CRJ before getting to a narrow-body jet. It’s a big jump for many people from a Cessna to a Q400, never mind to a 737/A320.
Thanks a lot , i am grateful for you
Futurepilot1991 is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2019, 22:12
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Canada
Posts: 813
Habib,
why waste your time with Canada and the crap industry over here when you could apply for any number of Cadet programs offered in the Maghreb or Gulf? Emirates will stick you on a 777, A380, or A330. Qatar, the A320 at a minimum. Why f**k around in the right seat of a Canadian Dash8 or RJ when you could fly internationally for numerous carriers outside Europe or Canada?
There are better paths to a much more rewarding flying career by looking outside Canada.

Ahlaan wahsalaan bikum huna.

Willie Everlearn
Willie Everlearn is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2019, 07:52
  #28 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: France
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Willie Everlearn View Post
Habib,
why waste your time with Canada and the crap industry over here when you could apply for any number of Cadet programs offered in the Maghreb or Gulf? Emirates will stick you on a 777, A380, or A330. Qatar, the A320 at a minimum. Why f**k around in the right seat of a Canadian Dash8 or RJ when you could fly internationally for numerous carriers outside Europe or Canada?
There are better paths to a much more rewarding flying career by looking outside Canada.

Ahlaan wahsalaan bikum huna.

Willie Everlearn
Shokran Jazeelan ,
i am tunisian and there is no cadet program in Africa but in the gulf yes there's at least 4 :
-etihad mpl: closed now.
-qatar airways , air arabia , air nass: cost more than 120 k€ and the maximum age is 28 for qatar and 31 for air arabia and now i'm 28 so i am not certain If i can make all this money before 31 .
fly emirates : so expensive 200 k$ and i think it's opened only for locals and tunisia have a bad diplomatic relations with Uae after 2011 revolution and they stopped giving working visa for tunisians in all the fields .

Last edited by Futurepilot1991; 12th Jul 2019 at 14:42.
Futurepilot1991 is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2019, 20:35
  #29 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: France
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by +TSRA View Post


First, there really isn’t a specific term for a transport category aircraft the size of a Q400. Technically, it would be narrow-body, but you’d get weird looks referring to it as such. Turbo-prop is about as tech-y as it gets.

Second, as far as what you’ll fly, it really comes down to who you apply to and what they need at the time. No one has a crystal ball. I’ll try and rephrase my previous post as I thought I was fairly clear.

Sunwing, Swoop, Air Transat, WestJet, and Air Canada do not fly turbo-props. So whatever aircraft you’re put on when joining these companies, they’re going to be at least narrow-body jets, maybe wide-body if that’s what’s AT or AC need for your class.

However, your experience (1,000 hrs) does not permit you to apply to one of these operators and realistically expect a response, so you’d be looking to Jazz, Porter, Encore and the like who do fly Q400’s or CRJ’s to build your time.

So yes, you’re likely going to spend some time in the seat of a Q400 or CRJ before getting to a narrow-body jet. It’s a big jump for many people from a Cessna to a Q400, never mind to a 737/A320.
hi,,from my informations the realistic and the ideal path for a fresh graduate pilot in canada (i know that each airline has its strategy of recruitment and seniority list )is:
2/3years as regional first officer
then promotion to a regional captain or jet first officer in AC,AT or wesjet ?
Futurepilot1991 is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2019, 10:40
  #30 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: France
Posts: 15
[QUOTE=evansb;10517600]Fly a Twin Otter with wheel-skis in the dark Arctic winter. Fly a Cessna 185 on floats in the late twilight of a smoke filled sky of a Yukon or Northwest Territories summer. Fly an entire family and their groceries in an old Piper Navajo in the winter of a province that begins north of the 49th parallel. Fly an aerial applicator (spray plane) while hung over in a hot dry southern Alberta summer. Fly leaky King Airs on MEDEVACS on Sunday, 0245 hours a.m., from a snow covered unploughed runway to an even shorter snowy unploughed runway. Dump fire retardant whilst looking through a bug splattered windscreen on a forest fire in a narrow B.C. valley when the OAT is 32 degrees Celsius. Only when when you have done the aforementioned should you apply for a Canadian Air Transport Pilot License. And only then. Thank you.[/QUOTE



i Think these jobs you had stated is to build hours before the first regional first officer job . Iam asking About the realistic path for a pilot after the first regional job and how many years does it take every one( REG FO the REG CA then MAJOR FO then MAJOR CA) and is it possible to move from regional first officer job to a jet first officer in a major airline directly ?
Futurepilot1991 is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2019, 11:35
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Timbukthree
Posts: 5,919
Yes, it is possible.
evansb is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2019, 11:39
  #32 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: France
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by evansb View Post
Yes, it is possible.
thanks bro 😉😉
Futurepilot1991 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.