PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   All borders to reopen. (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/632861-all-borders-reopen.html)

SOPS 13th Mar 2021 13:11


Originally Posted by Ex FSO GRIFFO (Post 11007711)
Well, it does appear that 'The Tribe Has Spoken'.......

As at 8:15PM WST., in the WA State Elections, Mark 'Shut The Gate' McGowan, has 46 seats....and the Libs have 2......

TOTAL Control...by the one party.

It seems we are happy here in WA.

SHVC 13th Mar 2021 18:37

WA people have voted its crazy how this pandemic makes people think. The real questions is, what did they even vote for? Do they even know why they voted for him? What has McGowen actually done other than close up shop at a sniff of COVID. His whole time in office is made on closing his border not dealing with the problem. I would go as far as even saying Queen P is better at this guy at dealing with the pandemic.

Let’s say Corona virus doesn’t exist, What has he done in his time?

thorn bird 13th Mar 2021 19:09

"TOTAL Control...by the one party."
In reality total control by one person, who's first priority will be to gerrymander himself as emperor for life.

Thereafter let the corruption begin, lucky bugger is going to end up a very wealthy man.


Ladloy 13th Mar 2021 19:26


Originally Posted by thorn bird (Post 11007970)
"TOTAL Control...by the one party."
In reality total control by one person, who's first priority will be to gerrymander himself as emperor for life.

Thereafter let the corruption begin, lucky bugger is going to end up a very wealthy man.

The federal Liberal Party is corrupt to the core, maybe he is just taking leaf from their book.

blubak 13th Mar 2021 20:43


Originally Posted by Ladloy (Post 11007977)
The federal Liberal Party is corrupt to the core, maybe he is just taking leaf from their book.

Libs were never going to win but why wasnt scomo over there working his ass off trying to at least get some votes for his party instead of embarassing himself at a photo shoot with his 2 thumbs up salute looking like a complete d...head alongside all the other smiling assasains

SRFred 13th Mar 2021 22:15

Perhaps because he thought his Jobkeeper/Jobseeker handouts would help the Libs. In fact I suspect Labor benefited from them and had they not existed MeGowan might have had to act differently with his "lock downs".

Ladloy 13th Mar 2021 22:51


Originally Posted by SRFred (Post 11008052)
Perhaps because he thought his Jobkeeper/Jobseeker handouts would help the Libs. In fact I suspect Labor benefited from them and had they not existed MeGowan might have had to act differently with his "lock downs".

I'd say WA probably had the least amount of businesses on the jobkeeper program.

WingNut60 13th Mar 2021 23:04

It's amusing to read the rant from the east when it's patently obvious that you are all so intently focused on yourselves that you can't see anything other than "the West are idiots".

There is no doubt that Covid played a large part in the Labor win.
But that isn't what drove the size of the swing and certainly not the massive swing in the usually gold-label Liberal seats.

Ask yourselves, if you can, WHY ScoMo wouldn't touch this election with a barge pole.
Or WHY the usually far-right, steely-eyed, business leaders were running promotions for McGowan.

It certainly had nothing to do with restoring over-priced flights to your Meccas of the East.
And it had very little (I'd say nothing) to do with Covid or lock-downs.

I'll give you a bit of time to take off your shite-coloured glasses and see if you can work it out.
Hint! You won't find your answers on the Channel 9 breakfast show and not from down at the leagues club either.

blubak 14th Mar 2021 00:39

I see there is a new case in NSW,it is a person who works in 2 quarantine hotels.
I didnt think working in 2 different workplaces was allowed if you were employed in hotel quarantine?
It will be interesting to see what this results in,if it was in vic all the ministers,dept heads etc would be hung out to dry already with comments such as Incompetent etc etc however i am not in any way defending how it was run here last year.
The nsw govt have done a great job but this case just shows that no matter how good a system is,its not foolproof.
Hopefully its contained really quickly & doesnt result in more lockdowns etc.

dr dre 14th Mar 2021 01:04


Originally Posted by SHVC (Post 11007954)
The real questions is, what did they even vote for? Do they even know why they voted for him?

What did they vote for? Well I guess they didn’t vote for the WA Liberal party. A party which at the start of the pandemic wanted borders shut, then wanted borders open and aligned themselves with Clive Palmer, then a few months later wanted an even harder border with less exemptions for aircrew, then finally were happy with McGowan’s policy. Maybe showing a bit of consistency during a health crisis would be appreciated by the public.

I would think the very poor choice of leaders, Liza Harvey, a nobody, and Zak Kirkup the work experience kid harmed them too. Not to mention the party’s preselection disasters which led them to nominate candidates like 5G truthers and Trump supporting conspiracy nuts. It’s going to be tough for the party to recover in the state with no talent and they won’t even be the official opposition. Despite the usual “fought on state issues” talk the Federal Libs would be in fear I reckon.



Originally Posted by thorn bird (Post 11007970)
"TOTAL Control...by the one party."
In reality total control by one person, who's first priority will be to gerrymander himself as emperor for life.

Nope, good thing about Australia is our electoral boundaries are set by an independent Electoral Commission, as opposed to the US where politicians can gerrymander themselves to permanent wins.

neville_nobody 14th Mar 2021 01:10


It's amusing to read the rant from the east when it's patently obvious that you are all so intently focused on yourselves that you can't see anything other than "the West are idiots".
It is not like that at all. The East Coast realise they are part of a whole nation and we all rely on each other to keep the country working. Ultimately State Borders are only administrative however in WA it seems they believe it's a border to another country.

Anyway the party is going to end pretty quickly in WA when they run out of workers to actually do anything from cooking a steak, to engineering a road or a building. Always has been a Boom/Bust economy that has relied on staff from overseas and interstate. If it's too hard to actually get there and work then noone is going to do it. McGowan has painted himself into a policy corner. Do you either change your border policy that got you elected and look like a hypocrite or do you keep your border policy and blowup your economy??

WingNut60 14th Mar 2021 01:41


Originally Posted by dr dre (Post 11008117)
Nope, good thing about Australia is our electoral boundaries are set by an independent Electoral Commission, as opposed to the US where politicians can gerrymander themselves to permanent wins.

The predominant gerrymander in WA is the electorates for the upper house - tilted so heavily in favour of conservative parties that Labor has not had a majority in the upper house for 50 years or more.
But to change it, of course, you need a majority in the upper house.

So every Liberal-CP government for 50 years has had both houses and that is deemed to be perfectly OK, no problem at all.
But the prospect of a Labor government holding both houses is touted as being a disaster in the making, calamity will befall us, the sky is falling, the sky is falling.
What a bunch of hypocrits.

As for the lower house, while I am sure McGowan is felling very self-satisfied, smug even.
50 : 9 is not really much different than 30 : 29 - it's still just a simple majority.
And anything passed by the lower house still has to get past the "Farmers' House" across the other side of the corridor.

WingNut60 14th Mar 2021 01:57


Originally Posted by neville_nobody (Post 11008120)
It is not like that at all. The East Coast realise they are part of a whole nation and we all rely on each other to keep the country working. Ultimately State Borders are only administrative however in WA it seems they believe it's a border to another country.

Anyway the party is going to end pretty quickly in WA when they run out of workers to actually do anything from cooking a steak, to engineering a road or a building. Always has been a Boom/Bust economy that has relied on staff from overseas and interstate. If it's too hard to actually get there and work then noone is going to do it. McGowan has painted himself into a policy corner. Do you either change your border policy that got you elected and look like a hypocrite or do you keep your border policy and blowup your economy??

Any jurisdiction that relies heavily on resources is always going to be at the mercy of the international resources markets and global fluctuation in trade. But what we're talking about there resembles Australia as a whole as much as it resembles just WA.
If you don't have a manufacturing sector to speak off then that's always going to happen.
In my lifetime I can not remember a downturn in the WA economy that was not associated with an equivalent downturn in the Australian economy and, more generally, a downturn in the western world economies.

As for availability of labour, you can hardly blame McGowan because ScoMo has the international borders closed.
And I think your assessment of our reliance on inter-state labour is grossly inflated.

And finally, I'm left wondering how many trips Cuddly Clive has made to WA since the border has been open.
Maybe he didn't really need to come at all.

I see that no one has taken a stab at my question in Link 3959 yet.

Transition Layer 14th Mar 2021 04:09


Originally Posted by WingNut60 (Post 11008084)
It's amusing to read the rant from the east when it's patently obvious that you are all so intently focused on yourselves that you can't see anything other than "the West are idiots".

There is no doubt that Covid played a large part in the Labor win.
But that isn't what drove the size of the swing and certainly not the massive swing in the usually gold-label Liberal seats.

Ask yourselves, if you can, WHY ScoMo wouldn't touch this election with a barge pole.
Or WHY the usually far-right, steely-eyed, business leaders were running promotions for McGowan.

It certainly had nothing to do with restoring over-priced flights to your Meccas of the East.
And it had very little (I'd say nothing) to do with Covid or lock-downs.

I'll give you a bit of time to take off your shite-coloured glasses and see if you can work it out.
Hint! You won't find your answers on the Channel 9 breakfast show and not from down at the leagues club either.

I don’t know the answer, and I’ve had a think about it. But what I do know is that the traditional life long Liberal voters I spoke to who were all praising McGowan, were simply voting Labor this time because “he’s done a great job during COVID and kept us safe”. I didn’t hear a single reason other than that. These are small business owners, retirees and mostly high income earners. I would say that’s where the ~13% swing has come from.

McGowan revved up the parochialism perfectly during COVID, and doubled down recently with ad campaigns promising to keep FIFO jobs away from the filthy interstate people. Very clever politics, no doubt. Even more impressive and hilarious is that he’s from NSW :p

WingNut60 14th Mar 2021 07:00


Originally Posted by Transition Layer (Post 11008139)
I don’t know the answer, and I’ve had a think about it. But what I do know is that the traditional life long Liberal voters I spoke to who were all praising McGowan, were simply voting Labor this time because “he’s done a great job during COVID and kept us safe”. I didn’t hear a single reason other than that. These are small business owners, retirees and mostly high income earners. I would say that’s where the ~13% swing has come from.

McGowan revved up the parochialism perfectly during COVID, and doubled down recently with ad campaigns promising to keep FIFO jobs away from the filthy interstate people. Very clever politics, no doubt. Even more impressive and hilarious is that he’s from NSW :p

I'll give you three hints - Goiran, Collier & religious fanatacism.

The push against inter-state FiFo's is being driven by the mining companies. They much prefer FiFo's over mining towns full of families.
FiFo's are much easier to sack.
But they're much cheaper if you can just get them from Perth (or Busselton).

Ex FSO GRIFFO 14th Mar 2021 07:23

A320's, 168 seats, twice a week into YBLN these days.....

KA-CHING go the Council coffers....at last..!!


brokenagain 14th Mar 2021 07:25

It’s all elementary. Now that McGowan has won the election, watch the hardline approach to border closures soften, as they did for PalaceChook and Gunner after they won their respective elections. If anyone thinks the measures were primarily based on health outcomes and not political ones, they’re kidding themselves.

WingNut60 14th Mar 2021 07:43


Originally Posted by brokenagain (Post 11008171)
It’s all elementary. Now that McGowan has won the election, watch the hardline approach to border closures soften, as they did for PalaceChook and Gunner after they won their respective elections. If anyone thinks the measures were primarily based on health outcomes and not political ones, they’re kidding themselves.

Possibly, though currently being quoted as saying that "he will not hesitate to put the hard border back up", in reference to current Qld and NSW cases.

I'd have thought that there will be a softening anyway as target vaccination goals are achieved. October, maybe?

De_flieger 14th Mar 2021 08:49


Originally Posted by SHVC (Post 11007954)
WA people have voted its crazy how this pandemic makes people think. The real questions is, what did they even vote for? Do they even know why they voted for him? What has McGowen actually done other than close up shop at a sniff of COVID. His whole time in office is made on closing his border not dealing with the problem. I would go as far as even saying Queen P is better at this guy at dealing with the pandemic.

Let’s say Corona virus doesn’t exist, What has he done in his time?

Delivered a budget surplus in 2019/2020 (ie pre-covid) and again in 2020/2021? That's generally seen as a pretty good thing. High employment. Hasn't spent time fighting pointless culture wars and defending alleged rapists - admittedly lately that's more a Federal Liberal thing, but it probably explains why Zac Kirkup hasn't seemed that keen for help from the Federal side lately, especially after the Feds briefly supported Clive Palmer's court challenges to force open the WA borders.

On the other hand, the local Liberals, having conceded the election a couple of weeks out, went to the polls arguing they should be supported locally with local candidates to prevent Labor having too much power, then put forward a bunch of religious nutters who have previously and publicly opposed gay marriage as being against god's wishes, and then refused to let those candidates answer questions when the media asked if they still held those views, among other counter-productive decisions.

If you want to get into really local issues, at my local polling booth yesterday, mid-morning, so with plenty of time still to vote, Labor and the Greens both had their volunteers handing out cards and talking to people. In contrast the Liberals had a pile of how-to-vote cards sitting on a table with a water bottle stopping them blowing away in the breeze, and no-one in sight. Even their own volunteers had given up!

Transition Layer 14th Mar 2021 10:36


Originally Posted by brokenagain (Post 11008171)
It’s all elementary. Now that McGowan has won the election, watch the hardline approach to border closures soften, as they did for PalaceChook and Gunner after they won their respective elections. If anyone thinks the measures were primarily based on health outcomes and not political ones, they’re kidding themselves.

It’s already happened. Only applying quarantine to those from NSW hotspots, not the entire state.

Counting hasn’t even finished in the election and the rhetoric has changed. You couldn’t make this shit up.


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:00.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.