Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Covid Shot - Side Effects?

Old 25th Jun 2021, 16:07
  #281 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,715
Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts
Nothing unusual about waiting well over a year during a pandemic to utter any pronouncement or guidance to the people?

By default, the manufacturers of paracetomol/acetaminophen will have been raking in the profits meanwhile. Now the drugstore shelves have suddenly been rearranged here to display all three on an equal footing, since yesterday.
jolihokistix is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 17:55
  #282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Home
Posts: 1,011
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BA does not control how their crews are vaccinated, or not. Vaccination is not compulsory in the UK. Each crew member has made their own choice. But I would imagine as intelligent and responsible persons, all will have been offered the jab by our NHS, and the vast majority will have been fully vaccinated by now.

The 4 crew members dying shortly after a c19 jab report, is unsubstantiated anti-vaccination on-line rubbish.

The medical data on the blood clots risk is many magnitudes less than the risk of the Birth Control Pill. . Haven’t seen much evidence of that being banned worldwide.
cessnapete is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 19:05
  #283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: UK
Posts: 72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cessnapete,
Exactly Sir..
Right20deg is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2021, 00:21
  #284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weltschmerz-By-The-Sea, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,351
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
I had the Astra Zeneca vaccine and had about two hours of mild chills after the first dose, nothing after the second. The only lasting side- effect is that I now feel slightly smug, and my attitude toward border closures has reversed. I wonder if that will wear off?
Australopithecus is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2021, 00:34
  #285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,715
Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts
Hmmm... the Pfizer did not give me any smugness. Nothing at all has changed. I still wear a mask in public and sanitize/wash my hands. The other day I walked into the car dealer and was surrounded by bowing staff. "Please use the sanitizer, sir." Suddenly I remembered that I was the only one not wearing a mask, so hurriedly I pulled it out and put it on. "Thank you," said the lady quietly, guiding me to to the waiting lounge. "'I've had both my shots!" I added hopefully, making a jabbing motion at my upper arm. She looked blankly at me.

The fact of the double-jab does however hold out hope that future border crossings will be rendered somehow easier.
jolihokistix is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 00:40
  #286 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 380
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jolihokistix
Hmmm... the Pfizer did not give me any smugness. Nothing at all has changed. I still wear a mask in public and sanitize/wash my hands. The other day I walked into the car dealer and was surrounded by bowing staff. "Please use the sanitizer, sir." Suddenly I remembered that I was the only one not wearing a mask, so hurriedly I pulled it out and put it on. "Thank you," said the lady quietly, guiding me to to the waiting lounge. "'I've had both my shots!" I added hopefully, making a jabbing motion at my upper arm. She looked blankly at me.

The fact of the double-jab does however hold out hope that future border crossings will be rendered somehow easier.
I know right. I'm telling people that I'm vaccinated too in the hope that it gives them confidence but nobody trusts anyone these days. We need a universal proof on a drivers licence perhaps that states that you are either vaccinated or are medically exempt from being vaccinated. We have similar requirements for schools all the world over......even in Florida....Ron de Santis.
Willie Nelson is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 02:46
  #287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 64
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
In NZ they give you a vaccination card that shows the dates and the batch number
Chris2303 is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 11:25
  #288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: uk
Posts: 1,754
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
One of the most publicised and nasty side effects of the AZ vaccine has been blood clots. There is now growing evidence that this may be due to the very occasional vaccination penetrating the blood directly. This can be avoided by aspirating the vaccination process by slightly withdrawing the plunger to check for evidence of blood. Apparently this is usually standard practice but it is deemed by the WHO and most national authorities to be unnecessary. The following link explains it far better than I can.


Perhaps we should be campaigning to include aspiration. It may save lives at negligible cost.
pulse1 is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 12:24
  #289 (permalink)  

Avoid imitations
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Posts: 14,407
Received 241 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris2303
In NZ they give you a vaccination card that shows the dates and the batch number
Iím in U.K. and have the same.
ShyTorque is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 13:40
  #290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,193
Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by pulse1
One of the most publicised and nasty side effects of the AZ vaccine has been blood clots. There is now growing evidence that this may be due to the very occasional vaccination penetrating the blood directly. This can be avoided by aspirating the vaccination process by slightly withdrawing the plunger to check for evidence of blood. Apparently this is usually standard practice but it is deemed by the WHO and most national authorities to be unnecessary. The following link explains it far better than I can.

Perhaps we should be campaigning to include aspiration. It may save lives at negligible cost.
That doesnít account for the fact that blood clots from the second dose of AstraZeneca are substantially less than the first, about 1/10th with (I believe) no recorded deaths anywhere in the world. If the aspiration theory had substance then there would be a similar number of adverse reactions as the first dose. There doesnít seem to be concrete evidence that method is the reason for the clots, just a theory which one nation acted on, and no follow up studies to see it it made a difference.
dr dre is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 13:52
  #291 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 265
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
... with (I believe) no recorded deaths anywhere in the world.
Here is the UK data:

ďUp to 23 June 2021, the MHRA had received Yellow Card reports of 395 cases of major thromboembolic events (blood clots) with concurrent thrombocytopenia (low platelet counts) in the UK following vaccination with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca. Thirty four of the 395 reports have been reported after a second dose. Of the 395 reports, 206 occurred in women, and 186 occurred in men aged from 18 to 93 years. The overall case fatality rate was 18% with 70 deaths, five of which occurred after the second dose.Ē

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...card-reporting

Derfred is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 18:07
  #292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: California
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A colleague just had the Pfizer first shot and was bed ridden for a week. I thought he might have actual Covid so I got tested after talking with him. But results of mine came back negative.
DarrylO is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 06:48
  #293 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Derfred
Here is the UK data:

ďUp to 23 June 2021, the MHRA had received Yellow Card reports of 395 cases of major thromboembolic events (blood clots) with concurrent thrombocytopenia (low platelet counts) in the UK following vaccination with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca. Thirty four of the 395 reports have been reported after a second dose. Of the 395 reports, 206 occurred in women, and 186 occurred in men aged from 18 to 93 years. The overall case fatality rate was 18% with 70 deaths, five of which occurred after the second dose.Ē

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...card-reporting
Selective copying of information again. Why not include the rest of the article?

"The MHRA has received 439 UK reports of suspected ADRs to the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine in which the patient died shortly after vaccination, 936 reports for the COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, five for the COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna and 23 where the brand of vaccine was unspecified. The majority of these reports were in elderly people or people with underlying illness. Usage of the vaccines has increased rapidly and as such, so has reporting of fatal events with a temporal association with vaccination however, this does not indicate a link between vaccination and the fatalities reported. Review of individual reports and patterns of reporting does not suggest the vaccines played a role in the deaths."
Sector3 is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 07:42
  #294 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 265
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sector3
Selective copying of information again. Why not include the rest of the article?

"The MHRA has received 439 UK reports of suspected ADRs to the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine in which the patient died shortly after vaccination, 936 reports for the COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, five for the COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna and 23 where the brand of vaccine was unspecified. The majority of these reports were in elderly people or people with underlying illness. Usage of the vaccines has increased rapidly and as such, so has reporting of fatal events with a temporal association with vaccination however, this does not indicate a link between vaccination and the fatalities reported. Review of individual reports and patterns of reporting does not suggest the vaccines played a role in the deaths."
You haven’t read carefully enough.

The 5 deaths reported in my quote were specifically thrombocytopenia, which has been directly linked to the AZ vaccine, and these 5 deaths were following a second dose.

Thrombocytopenia is normally such a rare condition that the spike in thrombocytopenia following AZ is now undisputedly linked to the vaccine.

The deaths in your quote are not all necessarily linked to a vaccine, as noted in the sentence prior to your bolded sentence.

I was specifically responding to dr dre who said he believed there had been zero thrombocytopenia deaths following a second AZ dose. I merely point out that there is data for such deaths, and the data indicates that slightly over 90% of the deaths occurred after a first dose (65), and slightly under 10% after a second dose (5).

If people want to conduct their own risk management, they need the data, or they need a trusted GP.

The UK data therefore indicates a risk of 5 in 20M, (or 1 in 4M), if you survived the first dose of AZ and are considering a second dose. Your risk may be higher if you are younger.
Derfred is offline  
Old 4th Jul 2021, 02:19
  #295 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: east
Posts: 222
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Added to that they recently found out that the spike protein used to stimulate the antibodies needed to fight the virus doesn't stay in the arm as most vaccines do. It travels around the body, crosses the brain-blood barrier and collects in the major organs and especially in the ovaries. That's all I'm saying. You can look the rest up and draw your own conclusions.
Scooter Rassmussin is offline  
Old 4th Jul 2021, 02:46
  #296 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 1,035
Received 116 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Derfred
You havenít read carefully enough.

The 5 deaths reported in my quote were specifically thrombocytopenia, which has been directly linked to the AZ vaccine, and these 5 deaths were following a second dose.

Thrombocytopenia is normally such a rare condition that the spike in thrombocytopenia following AZ is now undisputedly linked to the vaccine.

The deaths in your quote are not all necessarily linked to a vaccine, as noted in the sentence prior to your bolded sentence.

I was specifically responding to dr dre who said he believed there had been zero thrombocytopenia deaths following a second AZ dose. I merely point out that there is data for such deaths, and the data indicates that slightly over 90% of the deaths occurred after a first dose (65), and slightly under 10% after a second dose (5).

If people want to conduct their own risk management, they need the data, or they need a trusted GP.

The UK data therefore indicates a risk of 5 in 20M, (or 1 in 4M), if you survived the first dose of AZ and are considering a second dose. Your risk may be higher if you are younger.
So based on the UK data of some 70 deaths from over 20 million administrations you can conclude that the AstraZeneca vaccine is 99.99965 percent safe with regards to fatalities arising from thrombocytopenia.

And when you say, 'if you survived the first dose of AZ', again based on the data, there is a 99.999675 percent chance that you would have 'survived' that first dose.
MickG0105 is offline  
Old 4th Jul 2021, 02:47
  #297 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 265
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MickG0105
So based on the UK data of some 70 deaths from over 20 million administrations you can conclude that the AstraZeneca vaccine is 99.99965 percent safe with regards to fatalities arising from thrombocytopenia.

And when you say, 'if you survived the first dose of AZ', again based on the data, there is a 99.999675 percent chance that you would have 'survived' that first dose.
Correct, my friend.
Derfred is offline  
Old 4th Jul 2021, 02:59
  #298 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: back to the land of small pay and big bills
Age: 50
Posts: 1,218
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your GP or even your average specialist or surgeon doesnít have to and isnít required to, study data analysis or statistics as part of their qualifications. They can as a minor subject if they do choose but itís not a focus subject.

As such they are not better placed to decide facts from the information available than you or me. I have done a minor statistics paper or 2 during my science degree but I despair at the deliberately confusing, misleading and erroneous manner in which Covid data has been disseminated. The media has been atrocious for making hysterical analysis for goodness knows what purpose.

I surmise that at this point, with the bone headed skewing of information by the internet search and social media organisations, and the manipulation of data, the man on the street has zero chance of coming to an informed decision about any Covid information or vaccine information either.
mattyj is offline  
Old 4th Jul 2021, 03:10
  #299 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 265
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That’s why I’m bringing the UK data to our attention.

Our government hasn’t done so. If they did, at least those of us with some basic analysis ability would be able to determine the risk.

All we get from our government is phrases like “low” or “rare”. How the hell do we work with that?
Derfred is offline  
Old 4th Jul 2021, 03:53
  #300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 1,035
Received 116 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyj
Your GP or even your average specialist or surgeon doesn’t have to and isn’t required to, study data analysis or statistics as part of their qualifications. They can as a minor subject if they do choose but it’s not a focus subject.
That's not correct. Statistics is a compulsory unit for Medicine. Graduates, regardless of subsequent speciality, must be able to understand p-values, hazard ratios, median overall survival rates and the like.

However, it's not like we're trying to solve the Behrens-Fisher problem here. Frankly, you don't need much beyond year 12 maths to work your way through this stuff - it's all fairly basic.

Originally Posted by mattyj
As such they are not better placed to decide facts from the information available than you or me.
Mmm ... I think that a far better understanding than most of the underlying bio-chemistry and physiology and the relationship between prior and current medical conditions and the predisposition to adverse outcomes probably makes them somewhat better placed. You can argue about how much better placed.

Originally Posted by mattyj
The media has been atrocious for making hysterical analysis for goodness knows what purpose.
Their purpose is to sell papers, accumulate views, generate comments and the like. 'The sky is falling' tends to play better in that regard than 'Everything's fine'.

And it's not just the media - that little stunt by the Queensland CMO the other day was as shameful as you're likely to see.

Last edited by MickG0105; 4th Jul 2021 at 08:30. Reason: Tidy up on stats for medicine
MickG0105 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.