Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Jetstar EBA 2019

Old 9th Feb 2020, 21:49
  #721 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Mycenae
Posts: 410
You donít suddenly decide to flog off your 787 fleet because the pilots have got a bit uppity, this decision would have been made ages ago.
On a positive note, getting rid of an effectively loss-making section of the business will mean Jetstar group makes even more money, if the pilot group is forced to remain within 3% for their EBA it will be trebles all round in Collingwood.
StudentInDebt is offline  
Old 10th Feb 2020, 09:15
  #722 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: International
Age: 73
Posts: 1,364
As requested:

3 X B787-8 aircraft available for sale from 20H2 "as is, where is". GEnx-1B64 Pip 2 engines. Manf 2014. 21J+314Y pax configuration. > Martin Schembri, Qantas Tel +61 2 9691 0968 [email protected] MSN 36231 36232 36233
B772 is offline  
Old 10th Feb 2020, 12:17
  #723 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 90
Soooo why are they not going to QF like all the QF guys have been saying for so long!
Ragnor is online now  
Old 10th Feb 2020, 17:52
  #724 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Land of Oz
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by Ragnor View Post
Soooo why are they not going to QF like all the QF guys have been saying for so long!

I have never heard that from any QF pilot.

Itís ok, youíll get into a proper airline one day Ragnor. Chin up son.
ROH111 is offline  
Old 10th Feb 2020, 20:57
  #725 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by ROH111 View Post
Itís ok, youíll get into a proper airline one day Ragnor. Chin up son.
God I hope that's an attempt at humour...
das Uber Soldat is offline  
Old 10th Feb 2020, 21:24
  #726 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: SE QLD
Posts: 201
Originally Posted by Ragnor View Post
Soooo why are they not going to QF like all the QF guys have been saying for so long!
Donít know anything about aircraft movements between JQ and QF, but have heard from someone who would know that the cost to reconfigure / service the JQ jets vs obtaining new ones configured the way QF want them isnít much at all.
ScepticalOptomist is offline  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 00:46
  #727 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 31
ROH111:

I have never heard that from any QF pilot.
Itís ok, youíll get into a proper airline one day Ragnor. Chin up son
Rumours about the Jetstar B787 going back to QF are all over the QF threads here on PPRuNe, possibly written by other QF pilots.

Son, here are some quotes from some of QF threads.

but those 787s are rumoured to be earmarked for mainline with the NEOs coming and heavy checks due

Actually, what Iíve heard is that the 787-8s from JQ will join the QF fleet to replace the A330s on some routes to allow more flexibility in the flying program.
Do you need me to find more posts for you from the QF threads ?

Chin up son. You won't be getting the Jetstar B787's or the new A320/21 NEO's either. You might get some new toys with project Sunrise to make you feel like working for a proper airline with a modern fleet.

Last edited by a_pilot; 11th Feb 2020 at 05:21.
a_pilot is offline  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 07:32
  #728 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Block 49
Posts: 47
What if?

Originally Posted by Banana_man View Post
MSN 36231, 36232, 36233

VKF, VKG, VKH

Looks like they werenít bluffing.

Fleet it be all NB by 2025 A321LR/XLRs to replace the 787 flying
A hypothetical question:
What if these three airframes are disposed of. What will become of the (presumably) surplus flight crew (one imagines about 8.5 crew per airframe)?
What provisions, if any, are in the employment contract for type reversion/down-training/ re-allocation of flight crew?
Just asking.
Weapons Grade is offline  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 07:56
  #729 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Weapons Grade View Post
A hypothetical question:
What if these three airframes are disposed of. What will become of the (presumably) surplus flight crew (one imagines about 8.5 crew per airframe)?
What provisions, if any, are in the employment contract for type reversion/down-training/ re-allocation of flight crew?
Just asking.
With LRs coming there will be a net increase in airframes (around 6-7 I think has been quoted?). So one would presume Boeing crew would be slowly filtered to the Bus
NotBoeingNotGoing1 is offline  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 08:36
  #730 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 787
I would hazard a guess and say the three aircraft going will be CNS and OOL based.

There is nothing in any agreement (same with Virgin LH) about company forced aircraft downgrades. There is some interesting wording around bonds and conversions.

Many FO's are long eligible for narrow body commands. I know some are irked that Cadets, even 787 SO's who joined in what 11/12 will get a narrow body command over FOs who have been wide body since day dot and still a FO chasing that upgrade. They will now be sent back to the Airbus and that skipper next to them will be that 787 SO they use to fly with. Well that was the debate we had the other day.




PoppaJo is offline  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 08:43
  #731 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 72
Will they get sent back to the Airbus? They're able to apply for advertised vacancies by FSO but if there aren't any, they may literally be made redundant. Hopefully not of course, but it's a possibility.
das Uber Soldat is offline  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 08:51
  #732 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 348
Originally Posted by PoppaJo View Post
I would hazard a guess and say the three aircraft going will be CNS and OOL based.

There is nothing in any agreement (same with Virgin LH) about company forced aircraft downgrades. There is some interesting wording around bonds and conversions.

Many FO's are long eligible for narrow body commands. I know some are irked that Cadets, even 787 SO's who joined in what 11/12 will get a narrow body command over FOs who have been wide body since day dot and still a FO chasing that upgrade. They will now be sent back to the Airbus and that skipper next to them will be that 787 SO they use to fly with. Well that was the debate we had the other day.
My understanding was that it was due to the HNL routes being dropped, so the aircraft would come from Mel/Syd.

The last paragraph of your post doesnít make much sense to me. There arenít any former 787 SOs who are captains. Weíve only had SOs since 2016ish
ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE is offline  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 09:21
  #733 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 787
SOs from the 787 who have now moved to the Airbus FO are not far off upgrading. By the time the whole 787 fleet goes many will have a narrow body command.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 09:26
  #734 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 348
Originally Posted by PoppaJo View Post
SOs from the 787 who have now moved to the Airbus FO are not far off upgrading. By the time the whole 787 fleet goes many will have a narrow body command.
Oh, I see what youíre getting at now!

Well if the wide Body FOs donít like that then they should take NB commands. Bit like getting on a life raft off the Titanic, better to get off the sinking ship sooner rather than later.

ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE is offline  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 14:46
  #735 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 101
Missed the window of opportunity because some were too greedy.
CamelSquadron is offline  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 23:18
  #736 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by PoppaJo View Post
SOs from the 787 who have now moved to the Airbus FO are not far off upgrading. By the time the whole 787 fleet goes many will have a narrow body command.
not far off...... that would be years off and many donít have an ATPL anyway
A320 Flyer is offline  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 23:25
  #737 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 348
Originally Posted by A320 Flyer View Post
not far off...... that would be years off and many donít have an ATPL anyway
Also the 4000 hr requirement for command and 2000hr as a JQ FO
ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE is offline  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 23:55
  #738 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,001
My reading of the EBA is that the company can do what ever they want according the the effected ranks and bases I.e if the aircraft comes out of MEL then they could force the appropriate amount of CAPT, FO and SO’s back to the Bus where ever there are vacancies (could be a different base) or give the choice of redundancy if that isn’t acceptable to the effected pilots. So you will have 787 pilots in other bases who are more junior but will stay on the 787, obviously they will all end up back on the bus at some stage. It could involve downgrades as well, just depends how management choose to go about it, it could all be done in a respectful and co-operative way or they may ‘make an example and sound song and dance’ about it as per their threats.
Ollie Onion is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2020, 19:08
  #739 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by das Uber Soldat View Post
Will they get sent back to the Airbus? They're able to apply for advertised vacancies by FSO but if there aren't any, they may literally be made redundant. Hopefully not of course, but it's a possibility.
More than a possibility, itís most likely.
Industrie is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2020, 19:43
  #740 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OZZZZZZZZZZZ
Posts: 106
Iím not sure if redundancies would be offered whilst youíre still recruiting and they are running courses ATM.

Our labour laws are an utter joke and donít really provide much protection against the above paragraph, but if that were to happen the payout would be very high to those people. Many years of service, plus the 787 guys havenít been able to take leave for some time. Iíd have to read it again, but there is a clause they have to be re-employed if a position came up within 5 years. Whether thatís a 787 position or just a pilot position I donít know.
Gear in transit is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.