Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas Recruitment

Old 16th Feb 2019, 07:17
  #2121 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
Been on hold for 18 months.

I obviously scraped into the hold.

The boat has sailed for me, but I will be interested if and when they ever offer me a position.
Bongodongo is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 00:01
  #2122 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 72
Does everyone who interviews get automatically invited to the medical?
das Uber Soldat is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 03:45
  #2123 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Darwin
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by das Uber Soldat View Post
Does everyone who interviews get automatically invited to the medical?
nope, you have to pass the first day of interviews to get invited to do the sim and then pass the sim to get invited to do the medical
Aviatrix91 is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 05:48
  #2124 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,679
Originally Posted by Jeps View Post
Lest we forget that a large number in Mainline are 50+. In 15 years they will all be gone. If you consider that amount of time to be a long time then you have a point but if we assume that project sunrise goes ahead at some point and ultra long flying becomes standard then QF like everywhere else is going to have a major problem.
In demographics is destiny.

QF are not immune.

A genuine question, has the stream lead and the merry band secured a location, AOC and instructors yet?
Has the QF pilot academy turned out a pilot yet?
Rated De is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2019, 06:23
  #2125 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: oz
Posts: 297
Iron Bar is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2019, 09:19
  #2126 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ALandDownUnder
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by Iron Bar View Post
Should have written "QF Job Please"
log0008 is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 07:41
  #2127 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gladstone
Age: 44
Posts: 108
Can anyone in the know shed some light on a typical PER-LHR-PER trip for an SO commuting from the east coast (Sydney) and being Perth based.
- limits on paxing the day before
- known crash pads in Perth
- time off in LHR
- are you allowed to pax to the east coast straight after arrival back into PER?
- the time between having to do it all over again and head back west

​​​​​​​appreciate any info
Fujiroll76 is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 10:51
  #2128 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elsewhere
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by Fujiroll76 View Post
Can anyone in the know shed some light on a typical PER-LHR-PER trip for an SO commuting from the east coast (Sydney) and being Perth based.
- limits on paxing the day before
- known crash pads in Perth
- time off in LHR
- are you allowed to pax to the east coast straight after arrival back into PER?
- the time between having to do it all over again and head back west

appreciate any info
also intersted to know what the deal is when on reserve?
can you be on the east coast while on reserve for a potential Perth to Heathrow flight?
Flyboy1987 is online now  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 10:54
  #2129 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Unfortunately not the Orient
Posts: 299
If you are Perth based, that is where you will sit reserve. If you are based on the east coast that is where you will sit reserve.

Last edited by SandyPalms; 22nd Feb 2019 at 11:09.
SandyPalms is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 11:09
  #2130 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elsewhere
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by SandyPalms View Post
If you are Perth based, that is where you will sit reserve. If you are based on the east coast that is where you will sit reserve. Itís complicated I know.
I know Perth based pilots, who live in Sydney, tell me theyíre on reserve while theyíre in Sydney.
Flyboy1987 is online now  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 11:11
  #2131 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sincity
Posts: 1,099
So perhaps someone can let me know how that works....


maggot is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 11:12
  #2132 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Unfortunately not the Orient
Posts: 299
Sure. Scheduling may be doing them favour, but you canít count on that. But you canít sit reserve in Sydney and be called out for a London. They require someone in Perth. If youíre Perth based, be prepared to actually go to Perth sometimes. Itís how it works.
SandyPalms is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 12:33
  #2133 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by SandyPalms View Post
Sure. Scheduling may be doing them favour, but you canít count on that. But you canít sit reserve in Sydney and be called out for a London. They require someone in Perth. If youíre Perth based, be prepared to actually go to Perth sometimes. Itís how it works.
I'm confused? If your Perth based wouldn't you be prepared to be actually based in Perth. ie. not sometimes but always be in Perth?
Just asking
pylonracer is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 19:31
  #2134 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 192
Even as a commuter you will be expected to be in base on standby (there is a clause in the EBA allowing you to be out of base at company discretion). Iím not a Perth SO but I would imagine if a junior blank line holder you could expect 20+ Days standby in a roster if thereís no trips to do.

Before a trip they want you there 24hrs before departure, and at least one SO has been stood down for arriving too close to departure. Flights can be quite full and sometimes cancelled so always leave plenty of time to get to Perth and be adequately rested.
engine out is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 21:00
  #2135 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by engine out View Post
Even as a commuter you will be expected to be in base on standby (there is a clause in the EBA allowing you to be out of base at company discretion). Iím not a Perth SO but I would imagine if a junior blank line holder you could expect 20+ Days standby in a roster if thereís no trips to do.

Before a trip they want you there 24hrs before departure, and at least one SO has been stood down for arriving too close to departure. Flights can be quite full and sometimes cancelled so always leave plenty of time to get to Perth and be adequately rested.
Not correct.

Iím a 787 F/O. I pax to PER from my home in SYD on the afternoon of the departure. When the flight arrives from LHR I pax straight through to SYD. There are no formal restrictions on this. Iíve even used the ALTPAX capability to achieve the above.

If your based on the East coast for a LHR flight, you will spend 48hrs in the company hotel before operating. Note this is not a commuter based in PER, this is someone based on the East coast

As for the S/O purportedly stood down for operating on the day, I call BS on that. Iíd suggest he probably got there late for call.

Slip in LHR is now 50 odd hours. Recently reduced from 74 hours.

There is a crew commuter house in Redcliffe for $65/night which works well for standbys etc.

My quickest turnaround between London trips has been two days.

Last edited by IsDon01; 22nd Feb 2019 at 22:25.
IsDon01 is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 22:47
  #2136 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gladstone
Age: 44
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by IsDon01 View Post


Not correct.

Iím a 787 F/O. I pax to PER from my home in SYD on the afternoon of the departure. When the flight arrives from LHR I pax straight through to SYD. There are no formal restrictions on this. Iíve even used the ALTPAX capability to achieve the above.

If your based on the East coast for a LHR flight, you will spend 48hrs in the company hotel before operating. Note this is not a commuter based in PER, this is someone based on the East coast

As for the S/O purportedly stood down for operating on the day, I call BS on that. Iíd suggest he probably got there late for call.

Slip in LHR is now 50 odd hours. Recently reduced from 74 hours.

There is a crew commuter house in Redcliffe for $65/night which works well for standbys etc.

My quickest turnaround between London trips has been two days.
Thanks for the comments. Appreciate it
Fujiroll76 is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 04:32
  #2137 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 100
As for the S/O purportedly stood down for operating on the day, I call BS on that
As I understand it, the S/O in question was paxing to Perth (possibly Alt Paxing), missed his flight but arranged to pax on another carrier that was arriving in Perth just prior to the PER-LHR departure time. He did make it to the aircraft in time but had some other less-than-ideal 'notoriety' at the time which, combined with his paxing efforts, led to some Company sanctions.

At the end of the day, if you're Perth based then you are required to be available in Perth under the terms of the EA with regard to standby's and other duties. At the moment, how you get to the airport at the required time and fit for duty is up to you if you choose to commute from elsewhere.

If you negotiate to do a standby from Sydney or similar; good for you. I commute from Brisbane to Melbourne and have managed to negotiate quite a few standbys in Brissy, but that's usually been when there's the potential for me to be more useful to them in Brissy than Melbourne - eg: US to SYD/MEL flights diverting to Bris.

C441 is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 04:59
  #2138 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Unfortunately not the Orient
Posts: 299
I'm confused? If your Perth based wouldn't you be prepared to be actually based in Perth. ie. not sometimes but always be in Perth?
Just asking
We are talking mainly about guys/gals that have been based in Perth as their initial category who feel that they shouldn’t have to comply with the EA as they would rather be somewhere else. It’s not just the Perth based people either, east coast based pilots are incapable of reading the contract also. I’ve heard of a bloke who was on available days (you know, the ones where you are available to the company) and wouldn’t answer his phone. Crewing called his manager who sent him a text detailing the consequences of not calling him back (back to the dole que), when he called back it turns out he was in Bali on a surfing trip. Tough luck, you are required for a duty, how you get there is your problem. It’s only going to take one getting sacked to wake up the entitled. Problem for these people is that those details stay on your file forever. When it’s time for an upgrade, that stuff is all taken into account. Good luck to the next generation.
SandyPalms is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 06:06
  #2139 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,679
At the end of the day, if you're Perth based then you are required to be available in Perth under the terms of the EA with regard to standby's and other duties. At the moment, how you get to the airport at the required time and fit for duty is up to you if you choose to commute from elsewhere.
It would be a brave person to stand before a judge and say that commuting across a continent before a long TOD meets the rest requirements.

In the UK, British Airways have banned the use of staff travel on day of operation. Naturally, there are numerous ways around this, however the UK CAA is now looking through not only staff travel but commute times more broadly. The intent is to investigate whether sign on times and rest periods are adequate given, among other things housing costs pushing people further away from the base. Suffice to say the onus presently remains is on the pilot. that BA have acted the way they have may give an insight to the way this responsibility will be handled in the future; joint liability.
Rest assured being fit for duty will be heavily scrutinised in the years to come. It would be an extremely precarious position to explain to His Honour that flying across a continent and then operating a night TOD around 20 hours had as little impact on the performance of one's duties as a short 30 minute drive to sign on.
Rated De is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 06:17
  #2140 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 192
Getting a little more back on topic. According to the Qantas there are currently 151 pilots on the hold file, not counting those assigned to the next four courses up to end of April (about 50). Also 134 pilots currently being processed after assessment days.
engine out is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.