PDA

View Full Version : Jet2-6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Mooncrest
15th Mar 2023, 19:46
They are really ramping up the fleet. Wonder if this is all growth or whether we will see some retirements soon?
I'd venture a bit of both. All the latest acquisitions, whether brand new or used, will allow for the gradual withdrawal of the 733 fleet and eventually the 757s as well. There will also be opportunities to return the older, leased 738s to the lessors. I expect more than enough newbies to cover expansion and retirements.

Kevgti
15th Mar 2023, 22:17
It's all very interesting. It would appear (so far) that Jet2 might be looking at a dual 737/A2*N fleet in the longer term.

Obviously there will be the retirements of the 733's and 752's as well as older 738's one would assume. There are 24 738's over 20 years of age and another 12 in their late teens. On a very base level, without looking at individual cycles, hours, ownership, airframe defects, major checks etc. etc. etc. that's 51 aircraft that would look to be in the firing line by the end of the decade. I reckon we'll see a number of these 738's hit their 30's in service with Jet2.

Will we see Jet2 buying up second hand A320 and A321ceo's down the line? Are we going to see the fleet increase to 150-200 as we approach 2030? I'd say that would be almost inevitable if a reasonable amount of Gatwick slots are sourced.

I do believe the future looks bright for the plucky little northerners.
With only 3 A321ceo with 220 seats they will either have to increase the numbers or remove them as a sub fleet of 3 can't help with scheduling.

Makes sense to pick up newer used 738s when available if they can at a good price to allow for the retirement / removal of some of the older frames whilst increasing in house capacity rather than relying on ACMI for peak season.

jethro15
15th Mar 2023, 22:18
Will we see Jet2 buying up second hand A320 and A321ceo's down the line?
No. Think about it!

One thing about Jet2 - 'Softly softly catchy monkey. Tables have been turned due to................................................

TUI have been caught out, and are playing the catch up game.

I have no affiliation to either airline!

RA85684
15th Mar 2023, 23:47
Never say never. Jet2 planned a more substantial subfleet of A321ceo's from TCX and as mentioned, they have a rather inconvenient 3 as it stands.

Whilst I agree that used 738's do make an awful lot of sense and are probably coming at a very good price with plenty of availability on the second hand market, once newer generation, particularly sharkletted CFM A320/321ceo's start getting retired in larger numbers and the fleet of neo's grows, I can see room for those frames. After all, they do need something more "parkable" for the winter months. The neo's are gonna have to earn their keep.

oldart
16th Mar 2023, 09:52
According to Jethro's today, a further three 2nd hand B737-800's are due to Jet2 this year.

All three are currently at Shannon, are ex Flyr, and are all around the 9.5-10 year old.

G-JZDA - ex LN-FGA
G-JZDB - ex LN-FGC
G-JZDC - ex LN-FGB

Quite a few 2nd hand additions to the fleet this year.

See Teesside thread!

leadinghand
17th Mar 2023, 11:36
Looks like there is movement on this subject. Someone is in talks over 2 frames currently at Kemble with a view to stripping out the plush seating and replacing with Acro series 9 fixed back seats. Looks like this will give 568 economy seating.
Frame Nos G-CIVC and one other

Gunfighter52
17th Mar 2023, 11:45
Looks like there is movement on this subject. Someone is in talks over 2 frames currently at Kemble with a view to stripping out the plush seating and replacing with Acro series 9 fixed back seats. Looks like this will give 568 economy seating.

For Jet2?🤔🤔

globetrotter79
17th Mar 2023, 11:48

G-CIVC has been scrapped at St Athan..?

G-AZUK
17th Mar 2023, 15:27

You're a couple of weeks too early with this one

TinkerTyler
17th Mar 2023, 20:24

interesting development, I knew there was questions asked at a recent conference surrounding why type rating for some ex E4-B flyers was being completed by USAF maybe here is the answer

P330
18th Mar 2023, 07:11
Not sure why any of this is on the Jet2 thread?

bobradamus
18th Mar 2023, 09:46
Not sure why any of this is on the Jet2 thread?

I’m so confused! :=

chuzwuza
18th Mar 2023, 10:35
Leadinghand, I have to ask, are you on drugs? Why would LS want that airframe? Especially as it was converted into baked bean tins in Jan 2020.

bobradamus
19th Mar 2023, 01:57
:ugh:

True Blue
19th Mar 2023, 21:45
I had family members travel recently on a flight that was delayed just over 3 hours. They completed claim forms and the compensation was paid out in a few days, no questions asked and no hassle. Why can they all not behave properly?

garry8g
21st Mar 2023, 10:57
The third B737-800 ex SAS (LN-RRF) currently on route from Oslo to Manchester, due at 11:41.
To eventually be re-registered G-JZBV.

The first ex FLYR B737-800 (G-JZDA) flew Shannon to EMA for painting yesterday.

The second ex FLYR B737-800 (G-JZDB) is due to fly Shannon to Teeside for pre-delivery checks today.

Wycombe
21st Mar 2023, 11:22
Pleasant flight with Jet2 on Saturday LGW-TFS. This was a whole aircraft charter for P&O Cruises. Jet2 seem to be encroaching into what has been largely a Tui operation over recent years. It still is on long hauls (mainly to BGI) but there were lots of a/c substitutions over the Winter (mainly using Wamos) which didn't go down well with some of P&Os customers. Wondering if Jet2 will muscle in on this aswell with the A330's? (although it is mainly a winter op)

Chizzleface
25th Mar 2023, 01:17
The first Jet2 A321NEO is undergoing ground testing at Hamburg under test registration D-AVYK (Jet2.com registration will be G-SUNB) - delivery date is not yet confirmed, and no sectors have been scheduled thus far up until mid-June, so it might be a while before it enters revenue service.

It's planned for Holidays livery, and I imagine all of the new aircraft will have this due to Jet2's focus on the package holiday sector - I imagine eventually we'll see fewer .com liveries in the fleet as aircraft are repainted, retired, or returned. The airline already has a majority of Holidays capacity with flight-only bookings taking a smaller percentage of seats.

P330
25th Mar 2023, 10:58
The first Jet2 A321NEO is undergoing ground testing at Hamburg under test registration D-AVYK (Jet2.com registration will be G-SUNB) - delivery date is not yet confirmed, and no sectors have been scheduled thus far up until mid-June, so it might be a while before it enters revenue service.

It's planned for Holidays livery, and I imagine all of the new aircraft will have this due to Jet2's focus on the package holiday sector - I imagine eventually we'll see fewer .com liveries in the fleet as aircraft are repainted, retired, or returned. The airline already has a majority of Holidays capacity with flight-only bookings taking a smaller percentage of seats.

Presumably, the NEO has the same number of seats as the CEO and could therefore start work straight away on routes scheduled with these?

garry8g
25th Mar 2023, 11:14
Presumably, the NEO has the same number of seats as the CEO and could therefore start work straight away on routes scheduled with these?

The NEO has 232 seats, the CEO has 220.

P330
25th Mar 2023, 12:07
The NEO has 232 seats, the CEO has 220.

Well, there you go. Thanks for sharing. That definitely makes the CEO an odd ball then for fleet planning doesn’t it.

easyboy22
25th Mar 2023, 12:55
Once the neo start coming online all 3 ceo are off to BHX

laviation
27th Mar 2023, 19:23
The first NEO, G-SUNB, is at XFW and looks completed, according to pictures shared by @Tobias_Gudat on Twitter. This will wear the Holidays livery, assume it will be painted in the next couple of weeks. Currently sporting a light blue tail, light blue engines and winglet with no company branding at all.

Chizzleface
27th Mar 2023, 20:56

They COULD, but they're really intended to replace the 757s due to constantly increasing maintenance costs.

Pleasant flight with Jet2 on Saturday LGW-TFS. This was a whole aircraft charter for P&O Cruises. Jet2 seem to be encroaching into what has been largely a Tui operation over recent years. It still is on long hauls (mainly to BGI) but there were lots of a/c substitutions over the Winter (mainly using Wamos) which didn't go down well with some of P&Os customers. Wondering if Jet2 will muscle in on this aswell with the A330's? (although it is mainly a winter op)

The charter flights are solely a winter offering, just because the company has spare aircraft capacity around the raft of C-checks and EV runs. During summer, the sole focus is on selling seats and holidays through Jet2holidays, with .com seats taking up the slack. Jet2 very rarely operates ad-hoc charter flights in summer. There are no plans to take on larger aircraft than the A321, with the ACMI leases only there to give additional cost-effective capacity on prime routes.

I would LOVE if we did long-haul routes, but I don't think that's on the radar right now (and certainly not for at least the next 5 years).

ATNE
27th Mar 2023, 22:00
The first NEO, G-SUNB, is at XFW and looks completed, according to pictures shared by @Tobias_Gudat on Twitter. This will wear the Holidays livery, assume it will be painted in the next couple of weeks. Currently sporting a light blue tail, light blue engines and winglet with no company branding at all.
More than likely the stickers/decals will be applied in the UK by Airborne Colours - just like the 737's were when they came over from Boeing.

Flying Wild
28th Mar 2023, 13:30
First Jet2 A320 CEO to be based at BHX arrives this evening.

SKOJB
28th Mar 2023, 13:43
First Jet2 A320 CEO to be based at BHX arrives this evening.

A321neo?

azz767
28th Mar 2023, 14:36
A321neo?

No A321CEO, G-HLYA due down from MAN later today

chaps1954
28th Mar 2023, 15:47
According to FR24 due out at 1920 ex MAN

laviation
28th Mar 2023, 17:26
More than likely the stickers/decals will be applied in the UK by Airborne Colours - just like the 737's were when they came over from Boeing.
Thanks for the info. I’m reliably it’s meant for delivery on the 31st, presumably across to EMA and then ready for the first flights out of MAN for next week

Karl Denton
28th Mar 2023, 18:40
G-VYGM positioned to MAN this afternoon with EXS callsign

leadinghand
28th Mar 2023, 20:28
VQ-BWM at stansted diamond hanger awaiting Jet2 paint.

Gunfighter52
28th Mar 2023, 21:14

:ugh:

Wallsendmag
28th Mar 2023, 22:32
I think you may be adding 1+0 and getting 2. This aircraft seems to be operated by JetOneX not Jet2

bobradamus
28th Mar 2023, 23:08
…here we go again.

Kevgti
29th Mar 2023, 08:32
VQ-BWM is a cargo frame

UnderASouthernSky
29th Mar 2023, 09:33
VQ-BWM is a cargo frame

Exactly! Expect to see it full of produce to/from the Channel Islands in the coming weeks.

Kevgti
29th Mar 2023, 17:20
Thanks for the info. I’m reliably it’s meant for delivery on the 31st, presumably across to EMA and then ready for the first flights out of MAN for next week
So no official handover - 1st A321neo for Jet2 in full colours - or is that what G-SUNA is going to be? I guess LS just want as many planes delivered as possible for peak season.

ATNE
29th Mar 2023, 17:52
So no official handover - 1st A321neo for Jet2 in full colours - or is that what G-SUNA is going to be? I guess LS just want as many planes delivered as possible for peak season.
GSUNA is already registered so won't be a Jet2 aircraft. GSUNB is the first A321neo.

SamuelDonuts
29th Mar 2023, 18:17

Unfortunately no SUNA for us….. it’s already been registered by a hot air balloon 🤣

chaps1954
29th Mar 2023, 18:19
There is no G-SUNA as that is/was from memory a motor glider or light aircraft, infact just checked it was w/o in 2017 so G-SUNB is the first

chaps1954
29th Mar 2023, 18:26
It had an interesting accident in US

laviation
29th Mar 2023, 18:33
According to planespotters.net, the 321s were originally given G-JZDx registrations, which in my opinion would've fitted with the fleet nicer. G-SUNB was G-JZDA, SUNC was JZDB, SUND was JZDC et cetera

SWBKCB
29th Mar 2023, 19:13
Leisure operator Jet2 was the only top five UK-based airline to carry more passengers in 2022 than it did prior to the pandemic in 2019, according to data from the country’s Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

Passenger numbers at the UK’s two biggest airlines, EasyJet and British Airways, were down 36% and 31%, respectively, in 2022, compared with 2019.
However, Jet2, the country’s third largest carrier, saw its passenger numbers increase by 8% in the same comparison period, the CAA’s data shows.Jet2 carried 15.5 million passengers last year, up from 14.3 million in 2019, according to the CAA data. EasyJet UK’s passenger numbers fell from 51.8 million in 2019 to 33.1 million last year, while the number of passengers carried by BA dropped to 30.7 million in 2022 from 44.4 million in 2019.

The data shows that Virgin Atlantic’s passenger numbers declined by one quarter to 4.1 million in 2022 versus 2019.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/jet2-the-only-top-five-uk-carrier-to-grow-in-2022-versus-2019-caa/152671.article

ATNE
31st Mar 2023, 06:21
According to planespotters.net, the 321s were originally given G-JZDx registrations, which in my opinion would've fitted with the fleet nicer. G-SUNB was G-JZDA, SUNC was JZDB, SUND was JZDC et cetera

Thats right. But this was before they took the ex Flyr aircraft which are now using the JZD registrations. This makes more sense and follows the rest of the 738s I suppose.

Wallsendmag
31st Mar 2023, 15:39
Looks like G-SUNB is getting ready to leave Hamburg on it's delivery flight

irishlad06
31st Mar 2023, 17:44
Delivery flight planned tomorrow into EMA for paint to be finished before going to MAN

BristolexFlyer
31st Mar 2023, 21:50
Any hint of a new livery? This would be the perfect time. Or is it a case of if it’s not particularly broken, why fix it?

Kind regards

BristolexFlyer

chaps1954
31st Mar 2023, 22:56
I believe holiday scheme

tubby linton
1st Apr 2023, 11:07
It arrived at EMA this morning. I would like to see one of the new Airbus turned out in a retro Channex livery

Republican
1st Apr 2023, 13:23
I have a few questions with regards to Jet2's continued expansion. We've seen then rise from a relatively small and niche operator to the UK's second largest tour operator and it's all been done organically which is very impressive.

Can Jet2 grow in the same manner over the next 10 years as they have done in the past 10 years? Or do we think Jet2 has reached maturity?

If we are predicting further growth, where do we see this?

Any realistic suggestions of new bases such as Gatwick? Or will they focus primarily on growing existing bases? Will we see new destinations within Europe? There can't now be many beach destinations in Europe left unserved by Jet2. Do we see them adding new destinations that until now Jet2 has tended to stay clear off, the likes of Egypt, Morocco, Cape Verde, etc?

Unlikely IMO but could we see Jet2 launch their product from other source markets such maybe Ireland, Germany or Scandinavia?

ATNotts
1st Apr 2023, 13:42
Plenty of markets to expand into without going so far as Egypt and Cabo Verde. Obvious one is Romania, who's Black Sea resorts ought to be ripe for development. Then there's Georgia and Albania too. TUI are developing in Morocco and though very much Francophone resorts destinations other than Hammamet and Souse are very much underserved from UK.

Just takes a bit more taste for adventure from Mr and Mrs 'average' bucket and spade customer.

laviation
1st Apr 2023, 13:42
Istanbul would be a logical add as the Turkey Teeth Express.

Derry321
1st Apr 2023, 13:52
I have a few questions with regards to Jet2's continued expansion. We've seen then rise from a relatively small and niche operator to the UK's second largest tour operator and it's all been done organically which is very impressive.

Can Jet2 grow in the same manner over the next 10 years as they have done in the past 10 years? Or do we think Jet2 has reached maturity?

If we are predicting further growth, where do we see this?

Any realistic suggestions of new bases such as Gatwick? Or will they focus primarily on growing existing bases? Will we see new destinations within Europe? There can't now be many beach destinations in Europe left unserved by Jet2. Do we see them adding new destinations that until now Jet2 has tended to stay clear off, the likes of Egypt, Morocco, Cape Verde, etc?

Unlikely IMO but could we see Jet2 launch their product from other source markets such maybe Ireland, Germany or Scandinavia?

As an travel agency owner, their success has been as a result of two key factors - excellent customer service (particularly during the pandemic when they were by far the best operator for refunds etc) and also, unlike TUI, they have fostered excellent relationships with the travel trade. In turn, this means we support them. Circa 50% of my companies overall business is with Jet2 Holidays - not necessarily on purpose, but they are just our go to as we know generally customers will repeat after travelling with them.

easyJet Holidays are probably the biggest threat overall to their current growth trajectory - whilst not offering the same level of service, they do price exceptionally well most of the time and are spending £££ on above the line advertising at the minute.

As I have previously posted, I do not believe they will launch Cape Verde anytime soon - the accommodation market on the islands is dominated by TUI. Egypt they did have on sale pre-Sharm terror attacks so it is a possibility but also a very price sensitive market and I am sure they will see better ways to utilise the aircraft.

There is still a lot of room for them to expand their current programmes from some of the smaller bases (BFS/NCL/EMA/BHX/GLA) without having to go far away from their core existing destinations

Personally I can see additional bases opening with the delivery of the new aircraft - BOH seems to be an obvious choice based on the local demographic and strong travel trade in the area, but wouldn't be surprised to see the like of NWI/EXT/ABZ/INV at some point in the future too

rog747
1st Apr 2023, 15:13
As an travel agency owner, their success has been as a result of two key factors - excellent customer service (particularly during the pandemic when they were by far the best operator for refunds etc) and also, unlike TUI, they have fostered excellent relationships with the travel trade. In turn, this means we support them. Circa 50% of my companies overall business is with Jet2 Holidays - not necessarily on purpose, but they are just our go to as we know generally customers will repeat after travelling with them.

easyJet Holidays are probably the biggest threat overall to their current growth trajectory - whilst not offering the same level of service, they do price exceptionally well most of the time and are spending £££ on above the line advertising at the minute.

As I have previously posted, I do not believe they will launch Cape Verde anytime soon - the accommodation market on the islands is dominated by TUI. Egypt they did have on sale pre-Sharm terror attacks so it is a possibility but also a very price sensitive market and I am sure they will see better ways to utilise the aircraft.

There is still a lot of room for them to expand their current programmes from some of the smaller bases (BFS/NCL/EMA/BHX/GLA) without having to go far away from their core existing destinations

Personally I can see additional bases opening with the delivery of the new aircraft - BOH seems to be an obvious choice based on the local demographic and strong travel trade in the area, but wouldn't be surprised to see the like of NWI/EXT/ABZ/INV at some point in the future too

Great post and similar to one of mine a few weeks back -

Cape Verde, Tunisia and Egypt are not on Jet2's radar - and I doubt ever will be in the near term...

Tunisia and Egypt were both once the ''darlings of the Brits'', but ongoing security issues there etc and from The Arab Spring days have decimated that market for UK package holidays and basically finished off Monarch Airlines in the end too.
Egypt has had some recovery of late, but Jet2 will not get its fingers burned.
Banjul ? - nope...

Jet2 in the South of England have done well at STN and now BRS, but although BOH Hurn was their 'spiritual home' we now see Ryanair firmly entrenched there, and TUI are being cautious on further expansion out of both BOH and EXT since Covid-19.

SOU >?
Well, no good at all for flying full load 737-800's in or out of there,
but the new A320Neo maybe a different scenario with the slightly longer runway due to be completed.
Not sure if Jet2 would set up a new Base there - watch this space - as SOU would probably love Jet2 to come in with the right aircraft and fly the right routes.

SouthernAlliance
1st Apr 2023, 20:32
Great post and similar to one of mine a few weeks back -

Cape Verde, Tunisia and Egypt are not on Jet2's radar - and I doubt ever will be in the near term...

Tunisia and Egypt were both once the ''darlings of the Brits'', but ongoing security issues there etc and from The Arab Spring days have decimated that market for UK package holidays and basically finished off Monarch Airlines in the end too.
Egypt has had some recovery of late, but Jet2 will not get its fingers burned.
Banjul ? - nope...

Jet2 in the South of England have done well at STN and now BRS, but although BOH Hurn was their 'spiritual home' we now see Ryanair firmly entrenched there, and TUI are being cautious on further expansion out of both BOH and EXT since Covid-19.

SOU >?
Well, no good at all for flying full load 737-800's in or out of there,
but the new A320Neo maybe a different scenario with the slightly longer runway due to be completed.
Not sure if Jet2 would set up a new Base there - watch this space - as SOU would probably love Jet2 to come in with the right aircraft and fly the right routes.

Jet2 utilise the SFP 738 so don’t rule them out from basing at SOU. They are a prime candidate to operate a 2/3 aircraft base along with EZY and I’m sure either airline would make a very successful go of it. TUI are also one to keep an eye on as I’m not sure they are fully committed to BOH with RYR being so dominant!

pug
1st Apr 2023, 23:43
Jet2 utilise the SFP 738 so don’t rule them out from basing at SOU. They are a prime candidate to operate a 2/3 aircraft base along with EZY and I’m sure either airline would make a very successful go of it. TUI are also one to keep an eye on as I’m not sure they are fully committed to BOH with RYR being so dominant!

I think LGW, after that there is probably no need to open any more bases in the U.K.

davidjohnson6
2nd Apr 2023, 00:00
When you're a solid number one in a particular market... it's usually a sign to expand your product offering. Jet2 can carry on flogging the beach-holiday model... but (as has been mentioned) I think they either need to expand to other countries - maybe Benelux - or they need to tread on the toes of other LCCs a little bit more. I'm wondering if the city break market combined with some package holiday hand-holding of people who are maybe a little nervous about visiting a city where English isn't the primary language might be a suitable market

rog747
2nd Apr 2023, 07:00
Jet2 utilise the SFP 738 so don’t rule them out from basing at SOU. They are a prime candidate to operate a 2/3 aircraft base along with EZY and I’m sure either airline would make a very successful go of it.

TUI are also one to keep an eye on as I’m not sure they are fully committed to BOH with RYR being so dominant!

I agree that TUI have shown that they are not (or maybe not) so committed to the expansion (as yet) back to pre-Covid levels they had planned for both BOH and EXT when they had intended to share an extra aircraft a week between them in the summer, plus utilise their own each based 738.
They have cautiously for this summer, added another BOH-RHO (using an Aegean charter) another Turkey flight (using Freebird) and an extra PMI (using Alba Star, who also serve EXT)
The Winter programme is basically all Canaries from BOH and EXT.

So, I cannot see for now Jet2 going to BOH when Ryanair are getting more established there,
however as we all know they could upsticks and go at anytime on a whim - we have seen it happen before.
Would they go head to head right now with TUI there <>?
IMHO, no.
(Nor would they think a LGW Base is a good plan too)

Time & time again folk say about the 738 going into SOU - It simply cannot 'economically and safely at HGW's' - even with the new 164m extra bit of concrete being built -
SOU is not SEN.
TUI have added its own charters from SOU to Palma (now 2 a week this summer) but using the BACF E190's (98 seats) which is a good fit, and they sell well.
But what happens if BACF do not come back to SOU for summer 2024 >?

I do think that Jet2 at SOU is one to watch in the longer term, but not with 738's - it would have to be the A320N and Jet2 do not normally fly 'W patterns' - so they would need to decide if a Base at SOU was viable.
If TUI fall away again from SOU (as they have done in the past) then Jet2 Holidays from SOU would do very well IMHO.

Jet2 Holidays are now the UK's package holiday market leader, knocking TUI off their perch as now the UK's largest tour operator.
That is some accolade to achieve in a few short years.
We lost Thomas Cook Holidays and the airline, the Libra Holidays Group/XL Airways, and Cosmos/Monarch Airlines in the past decade or so.

Jet2 know what they doing, and they do it well -
Package Holidays are getting a re-birth, and so why would they want to mess with it -
We have seen so many Companies in the past dabble with ''this and that'' then return to its core product market -
Monarch was one; they might have just survived had they returned to its charters and package holidays - the rumour was that's what they were about to think about.

TUI did really well at DSA Doncaster with a large base there - IF the DSA airport reopens then I do wonder if Jet2 would go in >?
Again watch that space...well, Jet2 are the 'Darlings of North'.

I had wanted to mention about Easyjet Holidays - they do sell - but do not have the same product ethos as a TUI or a Jet2 Package Holiday.
British Airways Holidays may well expand with the LGW Euro Flyer program and start a Package Holidays Brochure.

SouthernAlliance
2nd Apr 2023, 08:20
SOU is not SEN.

Interested to understand this as won’t both airports almost be identical with airfield technical dimensions?

rog747
2nd Apr 2023, 08:27
Interested to understand this as won’t both airports almost be identical with airfield technical dimensions?

Ask the Q on the SOU airport thread and a very nice kind ATC chap on there TCASFan will give you the definitives

pug
2nd Apr 2023, 08:44
Ask the Q on the SOU airport thread and a very nice kind ATC chap on there TCASFan will give you the definitives

Let us also not forget that just because an aircraft in an airlines fleet could operate from an airport, doesn’t mean it could when taking into account company procedures for economical performance…

I think the days of smaller bases are over at Jet2, costs a lot to put a base together, and there are benefits to having a fully self handled setup so there has to be a critical mass. That’s why I think LGW will be the eventual (and possibly final) piece in the puzzle.

Karl Denton
2nd Apr 2023, 17:39
LS756 G-LSAJ from TFS to Man Squawking 7700 and looks like going to Newquay

chaps1954
3rd Apr 2023, 08:11
Wasn`t at Newquay long so was it a medical diversion

easyboy22
3rd Apr 2023, 08:15
Was a medical diversion then continued onto Manchester

chaps1954
3rd Apr 2023, 08:35
Thanks easyboy22 guessed it was

OzzyOzBorn
3rd Apr 2023, 15:18
Request: There was talk afew weeks ago suggesting that Jet2 planned to lease a World2Fly A330-300 to be based at MAN for the early part of Summer '23 season. Can anybody confirm whether this is going ahead? I'd like to make a booking on it if so. Thanks.

sdbelgium
3rd Apr 2023, 15:38
Request: There was talk afew weeks ago suggesting that Jet2 planned to lease a World2Fly A330-300 to be based at MAN for the early part of Summer '23 season. Can anybody confirm whether this is going ahead? I'd like to make a booking on it if so. Thanks.
As far as I know, World2Fly is indeed operating from MAN from the 29th of April onwards until mid-July, on FAO and DLM routes.

Buster the Bear
3rd Apr 2023, 20:25
16th airframe for Stansted this summer. https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/jet2-further-hikes-summer-stansted-capacity

laviation
3rd Apr 2023, 21:01
One of those ex-SAS/Flyr frames I assume?

OzzyOzBorn
3rd Apr 2023, 22:04
Thanks for the info, sdbelgium.

chaps1954
3rd Apr 2023, 23:02
All the 738 are interchangeable so could be anything

simoncorbett
4th Apr 2023, 20:06
Do jet2 have any variations for short field performance like Ryanair do ?

ImagineIf
4th Apr 2023, 21:35
Do jet2 have any variations for short field performance like Ryanair do ?

Yes. All the factory new frames are SFP, so GJZHJ onwards and GJZBA onwards.

However there will be variations, GJZBT onwards will be mid life aircraft. In recent years they have also taken some much younger mid life aircraft from the likes of JetAirways... such as GDRTL..P... among others. Some of which may be SFP but can not confirm.

laviation
5th Apr 2023, 09:24
G-SUNB is to be ferried at 11am today EMA-MAN

chaps1954
5th Apr 2023, 10:45
G-SUNB has just arrived at MAN from EMA after having titles put on and G-VYGM is due from BZZ this afternoon

pabely
5th Apr 2023, 11:52
Steady on fanboys, are we going to get a post about first revenue flight, first engine failure, first repaint! It's a NEO which are common everywhere now. Good grief, are the Boeings that bad 😔

Republican
5th Apr 2023, 12:21
Steady on fanboys, are we going to get a post about first revenue flight, first engine failure, first repaint! It's a NEO which are common everywhere now. Good grief, are the Boeings that bad 😔

I'm personally looking forward to the update on when the first bacon butty is sold onboard.

easyboy22
5th Apr 2023, 15:51

They are talking about jet2 on a jet2 page, if you don’t like talk of jet2 then don’t read it..
or just keep your comments to yourself

LBAflyer22
5th Apr 2023, 16:49

This is something big for a company that only just a few years ago we all thought would never order a big order as they have nor the manufacturer of choice they choose. It’s a big event for the airline. If you don’t like it don’t read it. Ignore it like any sound person would do….

Kevgti
5th Apr 2023, 18:53
I'm personally looking forward to the update on when the first bacon butty is sold onboard.
Surely it's the first cup of #yorkshiretea being served :D:)

This is a huge milestone for Jet2.

Kevgti
5th Apr 2023, 18:56
G-SUNB has just arrived at MAN from EMA after having titles put on and G-VYGM is due from BZZ this afternoon
It was G-VYGL going from BZZ to MAN this afternoon. G-VYGM went from MAN to BZZ on Monday.

Imagegear
13th Apr 2023, 14:01
If they serve Yorkshire Tea AND Bacon butties, they will definitely have to reopen the DSA operation. :ok:

IG

AP1995
13th Apr 2023, 14:24
Jet2 have never had a DSA operation?

Flying Hi
13th Apr 2023, 14:29
Sounds like something you get on the NHS:ouch:

Kevgti
13th Apr 2023, 19:53
It was G-VYGL going from BZZ to MAN this afternoon. G-VYGM went from MAN to BZZ on Monday.
G-VYGM returned from BZZ to MAN and G-VYGL went from MAN to BZZ yesterday. Presumably a swap over for maintenance before the summer season starts.

Imagegear
14th Apr 2023, 15:51

I would think they would get enough business to have both an LBA and a DSA operation. :ok:

IG

pug
14th Apr 2023, 17:52
I would think they would get enough business to have both an LBA and a DSA operation. :ok:

IG

Why go to the expense of operating from both when you can funnel all the passengers out of one departure airport? Not like South Yorkshire passengers aren’t blessed with choice already is it.

Gurnard
14th Apr 2023, 18:15
I think you missed the humour intended. Imagegear had said:
If they serve Yorkshire Tea AND Bacon butties, they will definitely have to reopen the DSA operation. https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Genuine Yorkshire folk love their Yorkshire Tea and butties. I know, having lived among them.:hmm:
It wasn't a serious comment about commercial viability!

pug
14th Apr 2023, 18:33
I think you missed the humour intended. Imagegear had said:
If they serve Yorkshire Tea AND Bacon butties, they will definitely have to reopen the DSA operation. https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Genuine Yorkshire folk love their Yorkshire Tea and butties. I know, having lived among them.:hmm:
It wasn't a serious comment about commercial viability!

Being from Yorkshire myself, I’ve seen the sketch countless times.

RA85684
14th Apr 2023, 21:23
Do we think we'll be seeing Jet2 introduce Alan Bennett class soon?

Mr Mac
15th Apr 2023, 05:57
Pug
I think Jet 2 already do serve Bacon Butties and Yorkshire Tea, and I am quite sure some of the CC will do a good Yorkshire accent for you as well :ok:

Cheers
Mr Mac

TinkerTyler
18th Apr 2023, 17:35
I agree that TUI have shown that they are not (or maybe not) so committed to the expansion (as yet) back to pre-Covid levels they had planned for both BOH and EXT when they had intended to share an extra aircraft a week between them in the summer, plus utilise their own each based 738.
They have cautiously for this summer, added another BOH-RHO (using an Aegean charter) another Turkey flight (using Freebird) and an extra PMI (using Alba Star, who also serve EXT)
The Winter programme is basically all Canaries from BOH and EXT.

So, I cannot see for now Jet2 going to BOH when Ryanair are getting more established there,
however as we all know they could upsticks and go at anytime on a whim - we have seen it happen before.
Would they go head to head right now with TUI there <>?
IMHO, no.
(Nor would they think a LGW Base is a good plan too)

Time & time again folk say about the 738 going into SOU - It simply cannot 'economically and safely at HGW's' - even with the new 164m extra bit of concrete being built -
SOU is not SEN.
TUI have added its own charters from SOU to Palma (now 2 a week this summer) but using the BACF E190's (98 seats) which is a good fit, and they sell well.
But what happens if BACF do not come back to SOU for summer 2024 >?

I do think that Jet2 at SOU is one to watch in the longer term, but not with 738's - it would have to be the A320N and Jet2 do not normally fly 'W patterns' - so they would need to decide if a Base at SOU was viable.
If TUI fall away again from SOU (as they have done in the past) then Jet2 Holidays from SOU would do very well IMHO.

Jet2 Holidays are now the UK's package holiday market leader, knocking TUI off their perch as now the UK's largest tour operator.
That is some accolade to achieve in a few short years.
We lost Thomas Cook Holidays and the airline, the Libra Holidays Group/XL Airways, and Cosmos/Monarch Airlines in the past decade or so.

Jet2 know what they doing, and they do it well -
Package Holidays are getting a re-birth, and so why would they want to mess with it -
We have seen so many Companies in the past dabble with ''this and that'' then return to its core product market -
Monarch was one; they might have just survived had they returned to its charters and package holidays - the rumour was that's what they were about to think about.

TUI did really well at DSA Doncaster with a large base there - IF the DSA airport reopens then I do wonder if Jet2 would go in >?
Again watch that space...well, Jet2 are the 'Darlings of North'.

I had wanted to mention about Easyjet Holidays - they do sell - but do not have the same product ethos as a TUI or a Jet2 Package Holiday.
British Airways Holidays may well expand with the LGW Euro Flyer program and start a Package Holidays Brochure.

The LGW convo is one that will pick up speed very rapidly I would imagine, they have already acquired extension to current charter operations for a cruise operator to add additional capacity to 4 destinations September 23 - November 23 and Feb 24 - June 24

Mike16
18th Apr 2023, 17:57
I am due to fly Jet2 not done jet2 for a few years, well flying out 25th June to gran canaria for the week and just had an email from Jet2 explaining they have a shortage of aircraft whilst they wait for there new Airbus to arrive and they have rescheduled my flight to a Slovakian airline called air explore , personally never heard of them.

I hope they are ok and was looking forward to my Jet2 experience.

Kevgti
18th Apr 2023, 18:29
ACMI charter for the summer season. Should still be Jet2 cabin crew and products on board so should be no difference apart from the seats.

SamuelDonuts
18th Apr 2023, 18:41
You’d be hard pushed to have a very much different experience on the ACMI aircraft this year, especially the air explore and SmartWings 738’s at BHX and EMA. Same aircraft type, same Jet2 crew, our seats, even our own carpet in the cabins. Lessons learnt from last year.

Kevgti
19th Apr 2023, 18:41
You’d be hard pushed to have a very much different experience on the ACMI aircraft this year, especially the air explore and SmartWings 738’s at BHX and EMA. Same aircraft type, same Jet2 crew, our seats, even our own carpet in the cabins. Lessons learnt from last year.
That's a significant commitment to use LS seats and carpets on ACMI frames....a good commitment.

VC10man
24th Apr 2023, 19:12
I am due to fly Jet2 not done jet2 for a few years, well flying out 25th June to gran canaria for the week and just had an email from Jet2 explaining they have a shortage of aircraft whilst they wait for there new Airbus to arrive and they have rescheduled my flight to a Slovakian airline called air explore , personally never heard of them.

I hope they are ok and was looking forward to my Jet2 experience.

The same thing has happened to me, I'm going to Faro in July and am now on Air Explore. I did a dummy booking yesterday for Faro and there is no mention of a substitute airline. I too was looking forward to the Jet2 experience!

Garstag
24th Apr 2023, 19:19
The same thing has happened to me, I'm going to Faro in July and am now on Air Explore. I did a dummy booking yesterday for Faro and there is no mention of a substitute airline. I too was looking forward to the Jet2 experience!

You’ll still the full Jet2 experience.. you probably wouldn’t see the difference if you weren’t told

OzzyOzBorn
24th Apr 2023, 19:58
I'm booked with Jet2 FAO-MAN aboard a World2Fly A333.

But I booked the trip for that very reason!!! Outbound KLM E295 MAN-AMS; Transavia B738 AMS-FAO.

Keeps life interesting!

Adamk1
25th Apr 2023, 09:54
Do we know when Jet2 are retiring the 757? I had believed it to be 2026 with numbers gradually thinning over the next few years until only G-LSAK and AN are left for summer 2026 before retiring themselves. I am off to the Canaries next year and am trying to get booked on one, possibly for the last time, but can't find a single flight operated by one on the website (seat maps from MAN are all 321N, 738, A332). Do we know if the retirement is being brought forward, or if perhaps they are being cascaded from MAN to live out their final days at another base?

CCFAIRPORT
25th Apr 2023, 11:23
New Route

East-Midlands - Krakow
2pw
Begins 2nd November 2023

oldart
26th Apr 2023, 08:49
Three 737-800 at MME almost ready for service, they must be able to fill in a few gaps.

laviation
26th Apr 2023, 09:27
Three 737-800 at MME almost ready for service, they must be able to fill in a few gaps.
Given recent capacity increases, think at least one is going down to STN

LBIA
27th Apr 2023, 23:16
Jet2 reportedly set to announce yet another new base soon.

Where will it be: ABZ, LPL, BOH, SEN, SOU, EXT, CWL & MME must all be crying out for them to come along with the Jet2Holidays product, or will the go big into LTN or LGW?..

pabely
27th Apr 2023, 23:24

Where will it be: ABZ, LPL, BOH, SEN, SOU, EXT, CWL & MME must all be crying out for them to come along with the Jet2Holidays product, or will the go big into LTN or LGW?..
Later two will have insufficient slots available.

BHX5DME
28th Apr 2023, 06:57
Later two will have insufficient slots available.
Liverpool is my guess

Jamesair1
28th Apr 2023, 07:33
MME would dilute traffic from NCL and LBA, so probably not a contender.

FlyMME
28th Apr 2023, 07:43
MME would dilute traffic from NCL and LBA, so probably not a contender.

Would love it to be MME, but as above it just wouldn't make sense for Jet2.

SouthernAlliance
28th Apr 2023, 08:10
I’m going with a new base in the south and lumping on SOU

laviation
28th Apr 2023, 08:18
Think it will be LPL or BOH, hoping for LPL!

Letsflycwl
28th Apr 2023, 08:27

Could CWL be a contender here? People will say “no” as it would dilute their large operation at BRS…..however previous operators served both CWL & BRS together…..Air 2000, JMC, XL Airways, My Travel and most recently TCX & long standing TUI.

Small summer base to test the water be good

laviation
28th Apr 2023, 09:15
Could CWL be a contender here? People will say “no” as it would dilute their large operation at BRS…..however previous operators served both CWL & BRS together…..Air 2000, JMC, XL Airways, My Travel and most recently TCX & long standing TUI.

Small summer base to test the water be good
I think it’s a bit early for a CWL base considering BRS only opened in S2021. But I think it’s likely a few years down the line

rog747
28th Apr 2023, 10:10
I’m going with a new base in the south and lumping on SOU

Jet2's spiritual home is BOH, but in IMO I cannot see them taking on an even bigger TUI and Ryanair presence there, who are both now basing 2 x 737's there for S24.

As for SOU - Not gonna happen with Jet2, as the 737-800 flying economically into or out of SOU is not possible with the runway there, and with the clearway/obstacle clearance issues which are a way different criteria to that of Southend SEN.
Hence as to why also no Ryanair at SOU.
The A320 is what is suitable for SOU but Jet2 do not take their new A320N deliveries until 2028.

BACsuperVC10
28th Apr 2023, 10:32
LPL would be a great choice for the NW and break the FR/EZY Duopoly at LPL.

ATNotts
28th Apr 2023, 10:43
In recent years the Jet2 strategy appears to be more directed towards substantial bases that have the potential for taking all the support services such as check in and ramp handling in-house, rather than the 'scatter gun' approach of place one or two units at a myriad airports across the UK.

SOU would be a good choice, but for the a/c performance issues that #rog747 has clearly explained. LPL could just dilute their MAN market, but BHX and EMA both have substantial bases. The Teesside mayor may have made an offer thats 'too good to refuse' as could that arm of the Welsh government, CWL.

Clearly nobody know here, or if they do they're sworn to secrecy. My fiver might go on LPL.

SWBKCB
28th Apr 2023, 11:20
Wouldn't any new base dilute another? Could it be that any further expansion at MAN now is difficult with the T2 development, so I think you are could be right and LPL is sensible. Other bases seem to still have room to expand.

BHX5DME
28th Apr 2023, 11:25
Wouldn't any new base dilute another? Could it be that any further expansion at MAN now is difficult with the T2 development, so I think you are could be right and LPL is sensible. Other bases seem to still have room to expand.

I think that is exactly it and why I think it will be Liverpool.

HH6702
28th Apr 2023, 11:44
If they are finding it hard to expand do you not think they will operate the flights with larger aircraft rather than move some of the extra flights to Liverpool ?

surely they could find some more decent A330’s on the second hand market or purchase some new ones

cavokblues
28th Apr 2023, 11:49
If they bought A330s then they're left with them to also fill in winter when business naturally drops off. Much better I guess to lease them in for the busy summer periods as they have been.

I'm very intrigued to see where this new base is.:confused:

laviation
28th Apr 2023, 11:50
If they bought A330s then they're left with them to also fill in winter when business naturally drops off. Much better I guess to lease them in for the busy summer periods as they have been.

I'm very intrigued to see where this new base is.:confused:
Canaries will fill any A330 year round

pamann
28th Apr 2023, 11:58
If there was an issue with bases diluting one another, you wouldn’t see these combinations; EMA vs BHX, GLA vs EDI, MAN vs LBA.
Current bases have a catchment overlap with others as above.

Personally my money would go on; LPL, MME, CWL in that order with BOH as an outsider.

pug
28th Apr 2023, 12:00
I think that is exactly it and why I think it will be Liverpool.

Not sure whether there is any truth to this new base rumour as it would be quite a leak for anything like that to seep out, they keep it quiet for good reason!

That said, LGW is the only one that makes sense currently that is not currently served, unless there is to be a strategy change I can’t imagine LPL would be on their priority list with MAN being so close. Perhaps if Wizzair U.K. are not going to be around for too much longer the slots may open up for Jet2 to enter LGW. Then you have pretty much all of the country covered.

pabely
28th Apr 2023, 13:11
Not sure whether there is any truth to this new base rumour as it would be quite a leak for anything like that to seep out, they keep it quiet for good reason!

That said, LGW is the only one that makes sense currently that is not currently served, unless there is to be a strategy change I can’t imagine LPL would be on their priority list with MAN being so close. Perhaps if Wizzair U.K. are not going to be around for too much longer the slots may open up for Jet2 to enter LGW. Then you have pretty much all of the country covered.
Why would Wizzair UK not be around for much longer? Wouldn't they just transfer over to Wizzair EU?

ATNotts
28th Apr 2023, 13:30
For there to be a substantial new base Jet2 Holidays will need a significant increase in the number of holidays they can sell on their ATOL. If there is truth in the rumours that will be it credence.

VLCfkight
28th Apr 2023, 13:49
LPL would seem the obvious choice for a number of reasons if this rumour is true. They are close enough to Manchester to staff the base from there intially, Liverpool has both the terminal capacity and more than sufficient stands available. A considerable number of their Manchest customers must surely come from the Lverpools City region and North Wales. Manchester has capacity problems during redevlopment - reported elsewhere that Easyjet have been told not to operate UK domestic departures from MAN because of this. There is no competition with any other full package holiday operator at Liverpool, - Easyjet holidays offering is somehat different to Jet2´s

LBAflyer22
28th Apr 2023, 13:54
With well documented supply chain issues for new A321s can someone please tell me where on earth Jet2 are going to get 3/4 737-800's (smallest capacity aircraft) from to open a new base?

Until it comes from the horses mouth or there is a change in Airbus situation (speedier delivery to displace 737-800's) then I don't see another base at least not until S25. And even then the fleet replacement of 300 and 757's will be taking place.

laviation
28th Apr 2023, 14:19
With well documented supply chain issues for new A321s can someone please tell me where on earth Jet2 are going to get 3/4 737-800's (smallest capacity aircraft) from to open a new base?

Until it comes from the horses mouth or there is a change in Airbus situation (speedier delivery to displace 737-800's) then I don't see another base at least not until S25. And even then the fleet replacement of 300 and 757's will be taking place.
They recently took on quite a few ex-Flyr and ex-SAS 738s

pug
28th Apr 2023, 14:25
LPL would seem the obvious choice for a number of reasons if this rumour is true. They are close enough to Manchester to staff the base from there intially, Liverpool has both the terminal capacity and more than sufficient stands available. A considerable number of their Manchest customers must surely come from the Lverpools City region and North Wales. Manchester has capacity problems during redevlopment - reported elsewhere that Easyjet have been told not to operate UK domestic departures from MAN because of this. There is no competition with any other full package holiday operator at Liverpool, - Easyjet holidays offering is somehat different to Jet2´s

If a considerable number of Manchesters Jet2 passengers come from Merseyside and North Wales, why would they go to the expense of setting up on their own doorstep? It’s not a logical choice at all - not impossible but not logical.

I maintain that LGW would make most sense given their current growth pattern. But this is all academic as it doesn’t seem like an appropriate time to open a new base.

In response to questions over Wizzair U.K., don’t appear to be doing too well.

LBAflyer22
28th Apr 2023, 14:30
They recently took on quite a few ex-Flyr and ex-SAS 738s

3 of each which clearly have been tied up in expansion currently at current bases. STN with 2 extra aircraft, BRS growth, NCL with an extra, EMA an extra.

davidjohnson6
28th Apr 2023, 14:31
During summer, particularly at weekends, Easyjet at LGW seem to be very focussed on taking people to the beach. Biggest base and most likely a critical source of profit. I'm wondering if Jet2 opening substantially at Gatwick might (eventually) force Easyjet into a merger with another player, be it TUI, Wizz, IAG or another company.

BACsuperVC10
28th Apr 2023, 14:37

Also bear in mind quite I lot of passengers from Manchester and North Wales fly from Liverpool, it would be well received .

BHX5DME
28th Apr 2023, 14:45
We all overlooked Southend.
But I still think / hope it will be Liverpool

pug
28th Apr 2023, 15:06
Also bear in mind quite I lot of passengers from Manchester and North Wales fly from Liverpool, it would be well received .

As above, why duplicate costs and saturate the market unless forced to?

BACsuperVC10
28th Apr 2023, 15:34
They are loosing out on those passengers whos preference is a Liverpool departure. Its the same as for Leeds, otherside, just offer Manchester only. But they loose market share.

BACsuperVC10
28th Apr 2023, 15:35
They are loosing out on those passengers whos preference is a Liverpool departure. Its the same as for Leeds, otherside, just offer Manchester only. But they loose market share.

pug
28th Apr 2023, 15:39
They are loosing out on those passengers whos preference is a Liverpool departure. It’s the same as for Leeds, otherside, just offer Manchester only. But they loose market share.

Losing them to who? I think given a matter of 35 miles passengers in Liverpool are not going to feel too put out travelling from Manchester if they want the Jet2 experience. The passengers who use Ryanair and Easyjet would continue to use Ryanair and Easyjet. Not comparable with LBA as that serves the Yorkshire and Humber region with few alternatives.

Not trying to say it’s not happening as I don’t know, but if they wanted to open another base then LGW would be it in my view, as it’s a huge market they don’t currently serve. Huge confidence in the people in charge of growth and strategy, they are savvy and will make the call based on what is best for the business and for the shareholders, along with the customer as a priority of course. Just would like to know how this rumour has started as they are very tight lipped about these things so would remain skeptical of any Internet rumours at the moment.

ATNotts
28th Apr 2023, 16:04
LPL may be 35 minutes from MAN but there is a whole potential catchment on The Wirral and west of Speke which will doubtless include current TUI as well as Jets Manchester customers who could see a LPL offer as being enticing. Then there is North Wales for which the same applies.

Its not just a case of making it easier for existing Jet2 customers but nicking business from their principal competitors.

pug
28th Apr 2023, 16:11
LPL may be 35 minutes from MAN but there is a whole potential catchment on The Wirral and west of Speke which will doubtless include current TUI as well as Jets Manchester customers who could see a LPL offer as being enticing. Then there is North Wales for which the same applies.

Its not just a case of making it easier for existing Jet2 customers but nicking business from their principal competitors.

Understand that, but what I’d suggest is if you put pins on a map of where bases have opened in chronological order you’d see a pattern. Are the people in Merseyside and North Wales within an hour of a Jet2 base? I suspect yes. Are people in the South East within an hour of a Jet2 base? Not if you live in South London, Southern Home Counties and South East Coast which is a huge market with zero Jet2 presence. Where would you prioritise putting your scarce (and expensive) resources?

SWBKCB
28th Apr 2023, 16:16
Some where I could get the slots I need? Is that a realistic prospect at Gatwick?

pug
28th Apr 2023, 16:18
Some where I could get the slots I need? Is that a realistic prospect at Gatwick?

No idea, but you don’t open a base just for the sake of it.

DC3 Dave
28th Apr 2023, 17:11
We all overlooked Southend.
But I still think / hope it will be Liverpool

So if Jet2 are going to announce another UK base the arguments for SEN are not that dissimilar to Liverpool. Can they continue to get everything they want at Manchester or Stansted? Is it a better bet to expand a few miles down the road where some staff would jump at the chance to transfer?

We know that Jet2 had a serious look at SEN before. Of course they rejected it because they were way more ambitious and chose STN to expand southbound. I have no doubt that they would choose LGW if they were in a position to do so, but I can’t see them doing so at this stage if they can’t go big. 5 year deal at Southend or Liverpool with 3 aircraft makes sense, right? Not too risky either way. Certainly at SEN they could they could fly on routes that are proven without a care in the world about slots.

Of course I should add, before I get too carried away, I have no idea whether or not the rumour of a new base has any merit.

azz767
28th Apr 2023, 17:20
Didn’t TUI have a sort of base at LPL a few years ago? Granted it was all W pattern with other bases and on sunwing.

maybe the half arsed commitment was why it never developed beyond that or maybe being too close to MAN meant it just didn’t work

BACsuperVC10
28th Apr 2023, 17:30
Tui have increased there presence quite a bit this year from LPL, not with their own aircraft, but their holidays are certainly available using Easyjets aircraft. Personally I feel Jet2 are missing a trick to not have a presence at Liverpool, but will have to see.

Budfrey27
28th Apr 2023, 17:31
LBIA...where did you hear this rumour reported?

pug
28th Apr 2023, 17:49
So if Jet2 are going to announce another UK base the arguments for SEN are not that dissimilar to Liverpool. Can they continue to get everything they want at Manchester or Stansted? Is it a better bet to expand a few miles down the road where some staff would jump at the chance to transfer?

We know that Jet2 had a serious look at SEN before. Of course they rejected it because they were way more ambitious and chose STN to expand southbound. I have no doubt that they would choose LGW if they were in a position to do so, but I can’t see them doing so at this stage if they can’t go big. 5 year deal at Southend or Liverpool with 3 aircraft makes sense, right? Not too risky either way. Certainly at SEN they could they could fly on routes that are proven without a care in the world about slots.

Of course I should add, before I get too carried away, I have no idea whether or not the rumour of a new base has any merit.

Take your point, but again why would they want to open another base and lose staff from one to another? It just doesn’t make sense. Then when you factor in that there are only a finite number of passengers to go around, and you can find yourself in a position where you are fighting against yourself, just doesn’t add up. Also consider that slots are not just an issue at U.K. airports but they also must go out and get hold of slots at destination airports, is it really a good use of resource to pit two of your own flights against each other when you could be expanding into brand new unserved markets? Allocation of scarce resources.

I too am not sure if there is any merit to the rumour, I am certain that there will be more bases in the future, perhaps at some point LPL will be one, perhaps even Southend. However at the minute there is the largest U.K. tour operator that does not have any flights from the UK’s largest holiday focussed departure point. Slot constrained or not, if this rumour is accurate then why is it so unrealistic to believe also that they may have acquired the necessary slots to enable an entry into LGW? In my view far less fanciful than some of the suggestions on here.

daz211
28th Apr 2023, 17:58
If this rumour has any legs, Consider Jet2 have more or less an identical route network from all bases give or take.
Also consider, possible Base restrictions on take of and landing times that would prohibit a full duplication of other bases.
Many routes depart around 06:00 and arrive back at Base after 23:59 into the early hours.

SWBKCB
28th Apr 2023, 18:25
The arguement for LPL and SEN is that they can't operate the flights they want out of MAN/STN at the times they want. They wouldn't be competing against themselves, they would be using LPL/SEN as satellites of the constrained larger bases. Extra staff would be needed where ever they expand, but there would be staff at MAN/STN that would leap at going to LPL/SEN, so you have an experinced core to build your base and they are also near enough to move people around when the inevitable sh*t happens.

Gatwick might be an unserved market (don't see any other sizable one's left), but my understanding is that the slots that Jet2 would need to open a viable base aren't available at Gatwick, so the idea seems a non-starter. If there was to a 'fire sale' by one of the exisiting operators, I could see them jomping in, but otherwise I would imagine all the existing incumbents will be doing everything they can to keep them out.

And wouldn't yr point about foreign slots apply wherever they expended?

pug
28th Apr 2023, 18:50
The arguement for LPL and SEN is that they can't operate the flights they want out of MAN/STN at the times they want. They wouldn't be competing against themselves, they would be using LPL/SEN as satellites of the constrained larger bases. Extra staff would be needed where ever they expand, but there would be staff at MAN/STN that would leap at going to LPL/SEN, so you have an experinced core to build your base and they are also near enough to move people around when the inevitable sh*t happens.

Gatwick might be an unserved market (don't see any other sizable one's left), but my understanding is that the slots that Jet2 would need to open a viable base aren't available at Gatwick, so the idea seems a non-starter. If there was to a 'fire sale' by one of the exisiting operators, I could see them jomping in, but otherwise I would imagine all the existing incumbents will be doing everything they can to keep them out.

And wouldn't yr point about foreign slots apply wherever they expended?

Where has this argument originated? Far as I can see this is not the issue. It also implies that they are going to open new bases as an overspill to fly to presumably more popular hotspots whilst focusing on the more niche destinations from the ‘slot constrained’ airports, which doesn’t make sense. I do take your point, in such a scenario LPL would be ideal, but it is not my understanding of the situation as things stand.

My point is this is a rumour with nothing to substantiate it at the moment. It’s also plausible to add to that rumour (if it does hold merit) by speculating that they perhaps have somehow acquired the slots to operate a base at Gatwick. I’m pretty sure STN was rubbished prior to announcement for a similar reason, which ultimately proved unfounded. And of course the point about foreign slots applies, which is my point. They are hard fought for, they will only be used on the most lucrative of ventures and not to use them at an airport that might be peripheral to their overall growth strategy. Don’t forget that the company are about to start using their first NEO in the coming days, larger aircraft allows for better use of scarce slots without having to employ more aircraft.

If it’s not to be LGW then there is probably more merit in BOH or even ABZ as rank outsiders given their isolation from the current Jet2 network.

daz211
28th Apr 2023, 19:18
Where has this argument originated? Far as I can see this is not the issue. It also implies that they are going to open new bases as an overspill to fly to presumably more popular hotspots whilst focusing on the more niche destinations from the ‘slot constrained’ airports, which doesn’t make sense. I do take your point, in such a scenario LPL would be ideal, but it is not my understanding of the situation as things stand.

My point is this is a rumour with nothing to substantiate it at the moment. It’s also plausible to add to that rumour (if it does hold merit) by speculating that they perhaps have somehow acquired the slots to operate a base at Gatwick. I’m pretty sure STN was rubbished prior to announcement for a similar reason, which ultimately proved unfounded. And of course the point about foreign slots applies, which is my point. They are hard fought for, they will only be used on the most lucrative of ventures and not to use them at an airport that might be peripheral to their overall growth strategy. Don’t forget that the company are about to start using their first NEO in the coming days, larger aircraft allows for better use of scarce slots without having to employ more aircraft.

If it’s not to be LGW then there is probably more merit in BOH or even ABZ as rank outsiders given their isolation from the current Jet2 network.
what Landing and take of restrictions “Times” if any apply to BOH and ABZ.
can the handle arrivals in the early hours.

DC3 Dave
28th Apr 2023, 19:19
[QUOTE=SWBKCB;11427245]The arguement for LPL and SEN is that they can't operate the flights they want out of MAN/STN at the times they want. They wouldn't be competing against themselves, they would be using LPL/SEN as satellites of the constrained larger bases. Extra staff would be needed where ever they expand, but there would be staff at MAN/STN that would leap at going to LPL/SEN, so you have an experinced core to build your base and they are also near enough to move people around when the inevitable sh*t happens.

Thank you SWBKCB. Not for the first time you articulate the exact point I was trying to make.

pug
28th Apr 2023, 19:45
[QUOTE=SWBKCB;11427245]The arguement for LPL and SEN is that they can't operate the flights they want out of MAN/STN at the times they want. They wouldn't be competing against themselves, they would be using LPL/SEN as satellites of the constrained larger bases. Extra staff would be needed where ever they expand, but there would be staff at MAN/STN that would leap at going to LPL/SEN, so you have an experinced core to build your base and they are also near enough to move people around when the inevitable sh*t happens.

Thank you SWBKCB. Not for the first time you articulate the exact point I was trying to make.

And that exact point requires a deviation from current operating practice. Which is my point. We’re in the realms of supposition based on a theory that holds no water at this moment in time.

LBAflyer22
28th Apr 2023, 19:48
Where has this rumour come from? it seems to have gained momentum without any real legs as yet.

If LGW went into dual runway operations I'm sure Jet2 would base 10 to 15 aircraft straight of the bat in LGW.

pabely
28th Apr 2023, 19:51
But I'm sure LGW biggest customer will be top of the list if any duel landing is approved. Then you have the question of overnight parking at LGW.

DC3 Dave
28th Apr 2023, 19:59
But I'm sure LGW biggest customer will be top of the list if any duel landing is approved. Then you have the question of overnight parking at LGW.

I totally get that Jet2 would love to make the ultimate statement by establishing a significant and viable base at LGW, and wow, absolutely respect if they do.

chinapattern
28th Apr 2023, 20:00
Nobody has suggested Norwich?

davidjohnson6
28th Apr 2023, 20:45
Nobody has suggested Norwich?
Rural area with low population density, and most people in the area (at least those living in Cambridgeshire or Suffolk) willing to travel to STN due to lack of choice from NWI

chuzwuza
28th Apr 2023, 20:47
Everyone is assuming any new base will be in the UK. Just putting it out there.

SWBKCB
28th Apr 2023, 20:49
Everyone is assuming any new base will be in the UK. Just putting it out there.

If it's not in the UK, it's a new airline, not a new base.

pug
28th Apr 2023, 20:51
If it's not in the UK, it's a new airline, not a new base.

Not necessarily.

Travel24
28th Apr 2023, 20:55
Jet2 new base?? I believe if there was enough space jet2 would have launched Gatwick ages ago and are probably still trying to now. However, there is not enough room I don’t think for them to make a hub there. Jet2 would also likely launch routes to the same places wizzair, easy jet, Tui, Vueling and British Airways already compete for so would be very hard to compete here. I believe Bournemouth, Southampton even Exeter are possible choices. Cardiff no too close to Bristol, Norwich too close to stansted, Luton no space, heathrow no space and far too expensive.

pug
28th Apr 2023, 21:10
Jet2 new base?? I believe if there was enough space jet2 would have launched Gatwick ages ago and are probably still trying to now. However, there is not enough room I don’t think for them to make a hub there. Jet2 would also likely launch routes to the same places wizzair, easy jet, Tui, Vueling and British Airways already compete for so would be very hard to compete here. I believe Bournemouth, Southampton even Exeter are possible choices. Cardiff no too close to Bristol, Norwich too close to stansted, Luton no space, heathrow no space and far too expensive.

No they wouldn’t. And yes they would and that’s the point. No longer are they a Northern low-cost airline. They are the UKs largest tour operator with an excellent brand and loyal following. Now is the perfect time to solidify that position by entering the largest U.K. leisure airport.

Do not also assume that a ‘new base’ will be in the U.K. as alluded to above, there may be operational reasons to re-open overseas outstations.

pabely
28th Apr 2023, 21:11
Not necessarily.
Anything based in EU would have to be a new business unit with 9H- OE- registered airplanes.
Alot of complexity but possible. As the first waves depart UK the EU units arrive in UK but would you like to depart UK at a civilised 10:00am time but your return is 06:00am so checkout hotel at 03:00 when they say vacate your room by 12:00 the previous day?

pug
28th Apr 2023, 21:19
Anything based in EU would have to be a new business unit with 9H- OE- registered airplanes.
Alot of complexity but possible. As the first waves depart UK the EU units arrive in UK but would you like to depart UK at a civilised 10:00am time but your return is 06:00am so checkout hotel at 03:00 when they say vacate your room by 12:00 the previous day?

No, operational backup in the case of unforeseen issues down route to avoid lengthy delays (and inevitable 261 [or U.K. equivalent] payments). Also, not sure on the rules for third country operators to base an aircraft for the purpose of flying purely from an EU country to the U.K. and not intra-EU cabotage.

laviation
28th Apr 2023, 21:48
It will be one of BOH, LPL or SEN imo. Different cases for each of them.

BOH- Unserved area in Jet2's network. Supposedly they already looked at a Bournemouth base for 2020/21, but decided against it for unknown reasons. BOH is a better option for their massive 737 fleet over the runway restrictions at Southampton.
LPL- Manchester spillover. Very much a superior airport in terms of passenger experience. It seems to me that Jet2 may have reached their limit of expansion at MAN for the forseeable, at least before T2's 3rd pier will open towards the end of the decade. The airports are only about half an hour down the M56/M62 from eachother, so some existing staff would likely not mind the switch.
SEN-Most room for expansion. They have truly been decimated with EasyJet pulling out virtually everything, a huge gap there. I don't think it will infringe too much on their Stansted base either.

Outliers?
HUY is one that I haven't seen mentioned. It could likely support a 2/3 aircraft base, and is quite far from LBA/EMA.
CWL I personally think we are too early for that. Bristol base is only a year or two old.
The biggest outlier and surprise would be Manston. They want the airport to reopen to commercial traffic for early-2025. We know that Jet2 are very ahead in their scheduling, so what's not to say they have struck some sort of deal? MSE is a very underserved market. Furthermore, this likely wouldn't clash with a Hurn or Southampton base, perhaps even Southend.
LGW is too saturated to really get a good early footing. However, with BA Euroflyer supposedly considering a Manchester base, could this be seen as a warning shot from Jet2? The need for a Gatwick base would be eliminated if they wanted to go to Manston
IOM could be a seasonal 1 aircraft base of sorts, supporting a few flights a week to Spain
EXT is a boring case to be made. Same points as HUY really

cavokblues
28th Apr 2023, 22:07
I'd eat my hat if they opened a base from Manston.

I also don't agree with the statement from others there is too much competition at Gatwick. I think the others would be terrified of jet2 going in there - their brand is phenomenal compared to some other competitors.

As someone suggested maybe a foreign base - Dublin? Although i think the paperwork required to achieve this would massively put off Jet2.

It does seem like this might be a rumour without any foundation but it's been an interesting discussion.

davidjohnson6
28th Apr 2023, 22:29
I wonder how Ryanair would react to a Jet2 base at Dublin... :E

FRatSTN
28th Apr 2023, 22:29
Reopening of overseas bases in PMI or ALC for instance would be logical, providing operational resilience down-route and allowing off-peak growth into the UK whilst maintaining optimal aircraft utilisation. The likes of STN, MAN and BHX are once again not really in a position currently to take further based aircraft due to capacity.

ROC10
28th Apr 2023, 23:55
Does anyone actually know the official rules re basing G-reg aircraft in the EU? TUI base a G-reg 738 in TFS every winter and I believe Jet2 also keep a spare 738 in TFS for backup purposes - not sure if the Canaries would fall outside of any ‘EU’ restrictions though?

TUI also base a G-reg 738 in DUB each winter operating TOM flights via the UK airline. Maybe they’ve managed to agree some form of simplification by virtue of their German (EU) parent co? Or is it because it’s not year-round?

I believe Jet2 used to have a base at ALC (and possibly PMI?) but don’t think they do anymore. As suggested above, it’s a possibility that they could reopen one of these. I’ve seen a lot of reference to this being impossible post-Brexit (without a EU airline) but I admittedly have no idea what the detailed rules actually are.

In terms of whether there will actually be a new base, I’m also not convinced but could ABZ be a possibility? I believe TUI have pulled their based (Sunwing) aircraft for S24 so could be a bit of a gap there, although probably not the largest of markets. Jet2 could perhaps make a 2-3 aircraft base work but it could dilute the EDI/GLA bases.

EI-BUD
29th Apr 2023, 02:01
For Southend's sake I hope the airport gets a shout. It's a cracking little airport that never quite got a fair break. It also was a huge holiday airport in the 1960/70s. The catchment of SEN is about 600K and any time I've flown out from there is always seems to be predominantly locals flying to holiday resorts.
Perfect airport for package holidays;
Alicante, Faro, Malaga, Reus, Ibiza, Palma, Mahon, Murcia, Girona, Corfu, Lanzarote, Tenerife, Las Palma's, Madeira, Jersey, Split, Pula,. Some French points already served and winter ski. All very doable. Captive audience. 3 aircraft base totally feasible. Only question is can the 321N do it?

Separately, Jet2 have a big aircraft order and I'd not limit their future expansion to the UK. So I'd expect to see a mechanism (AOC) to allow this. Winter ski presents huge opportunities for charter flying and work around Europe in the low season.

SWBKCB
29th Apr 2023, 05:53
Does anyone actually know the official rules re basing G-reg aircraft in the EU? TUI base a G-reg 738 in TFS every winter and I believe Jet2 also keep a spare 738 in TFS for backup purposes - not sure if the Canaries would fall outside of any ‘EU’ restrictions though?

The base of the a/c is irrelevant, it's where the airline is based and the routes (look at how the Irish airline Ryanair operates from STN). So Jet2 could base G- reg a/c in PMI/ALC, but they could only operate to the UK. Is there year round demand for that?

I'm assuming TOM out of DUB is either operated under the AOC of one of their EU airlines or they have a seperate dispensation from the IAA.

pug
29th Apr 2023, 07:26
The base of the a/c is irrelevant, it's where the airline is based and the routes (look at how the Irish airline Ryanair operates from STN). So Jet2 could base G- reg a/c in PMI/ALC, but they could only operate to the UK. Is there year round demand for that?

I'm assuming TOM out of DUB is either operated under the AOC of one of their EU airlines or they have a seperate dispensation from the IAA.

Its not about that, pre-pandemic (but also pre-Brexit) they had aircraft and crew stationed in ALC, PMI and latterly TFS primarily as a standby measure to ensure continuity in operations whenever there was an issue where an aircraft might be AOG down route for instance. There is nothing in the rules to suggest they couldn’t do this again, as any intra-EU flights would be non revenue positioning flights.

Again, if they are planning to announce a new base in the U.K. it could be anywhere. However it seems that whenever there is mention of this people come on selling the virtues of their local airport and they do not consider the wider operational and strategic growth trajectory. New base(s) are inevitable, so let’s see what happens in the coming years, but to rule out LGW in favour of some smaller places that have been mentioned is silly at this stage.

BACsuperVC10
29th Apr 2023, 08:53
I remember Jet2 had a BLK base at one point. So im sure LPL would be on their radar.

cavokblues
29th Apr 2023, 09:14
Yep. 2 based aircraft and a dozen or so routes.

If that's the thinking behind any new base it doesn't really rule out anywhere

chaps1954
29th Apr 2023, 09:15
Wasn`t a success though was it. All airports in UK will be on their radar

cavokblues
29th Apr 2023, 09:21
I think they made money but the airport didn't - hence the airport closing and turfing them out

pug
29th Apr 2023, 09:31
I think they made money but the airport didn't - hence the airport closing and turfing them out

Correct, they were quite disappointed when they had to leave. However, these were different times in the airlines life and new bases over the last ten years have started pretty big with around 4 aircraft from the off. So like I’ve said in previous posts, unless they revert to growth into smaller bases the trend would rule out a lot of the airports being mentioned.

Mooncrest
29th Apr 2023, 09:51
My simple perspective is that Gatwick is pretty much the only major UK airport that doesn't have a Jet2 base, notwithstanding a significant winter charter programme in recent years. Liverpool too. That makes LGW a no brainer but takes into account absolutely nothing else. Who knows what will happen, if anything ?? Interesting reading.

simoncorbett
29th Apr 2023, 11:36
I was surprised when BLK closed the routes didn’t just move to LPL instead they went to Man

pug
29th Apr 2023, 11:51
I was surprised when BLK closed the routes didn’t just move to LPL instead they went to Man

Statement of intent perhaps? LPL is a decent airport and I’m sure there is a market there, but still don’t see why it would be a priority for growth given proximity to MAN.

chaps1954
29th Apr 2023, 11:54
I was on a CDG to MAN flight which broke down so they cancelled a BLK flight and sent to Manchester to operate the CDG and back which was full on return flight sorry don`t know about outward

Flying Hi
30th Apr 2023, 07:30
Clip on Tele last night showed Jet2 (at STN or MAN?) unloading repatriated British passengers ex Sudan presumably from Larnaca.
Anyone know how many of these charter flights Jet2 did, or are still doing?
Good on yer, Jet2.

Airbanda
30th Apr 2023, 08:46
Clip on Tele last night showed Jet2 (at STN or MAN?) unloading repatriated British passengers ex Sudan presumably from Larnaca.
(At time of writing (08.45) G-LSAK outbound to unstated destination but track typical of routes to Cyprus etc)
Good on yer, Jet2.

Destination of AK now shows as Dubrovnik.

Flying Hi
30th Apr 2023, 08:48
Destination of AK now shows as Dubrovnik.
Thanks for the update. Ive amended my post.

sdbelgium
30th Apr 2023, 09:06
Two flights LCA-STN, last one to be operated tonight.

inOban
30th Apr 2023, 09:24
Good on yer, Jet2.
The thanks go not so much to Jet2, who I'm sure were well paid for these flights, but to their crews who would have been called in at short notice to fly them.

azz767
30th Apr 2023, 09:40
The thanks go not so much to Jet2, who I'm sure were well paid for these flights, but to their crews who would have been called in at short notice to fly them.

Titan have been doing a few as well, G-POWT has been back and forth from various UK airports, and they’ve chartered in from hi fly and Wamos to do some runs to/from BHX over the past few days.

Sharklet_321
1st May 2023, 15:20
No doubt LPL will be on Jet2's horizon in order to keep Manchester airport in check

Rutan16
1st May 2023, 19:05
No doubt LPL will be on Jet2's horizon in order to keep Manchester airport in check

The concept of check against MAG is totally irrelevant to be honest . Jet2 are now “the” established holiday company with airline attached business in the UK targeting families in particular.

They already have a presence at Leeds, Manchester, and East Midlands and evidently aren’t opposed to operating from airports in relatively close proximity ( subject to available local market potential to draw from)

We could add Birmingham and Newcastle to that mix as well.

I would not be surprised at all if an operation of two or three aircraft from Liverpool to popular Palma, Alicante, Malaga, Tenerife, a Greek isle ( or two), Paphos and Dalaman with attached packages were in their plans .

Such offerings would not cannibalise Manchester that much imho as they would be marketing at a more local ( City region) dynamic and with their family friendly marketing pitch to boot.

In winter a single part time aircraft might suffice for ski and sun holidays .

Example Chambéry, Tenerife , Lanzarote , Paphos .

Basically I am saying if Jet2 Holidays potential sales, (and analysis of prior trends surpass a threshold) then the vehicles (aircraft) will be delivered to support that demand.

This advocacy might surprise a few here and another place “tall towers”

The Jet2 offering differs in fundamental ways from Easy/Ryan and Wizz and even Tui at certain price points .

And the traditional package offering remains enticing to families that haven’t the time to build out there own deals ( in some cases the legal protections and ATOL bonds are also an added bonus when spending several thousands for that annual summer trip)

stewyb
1st May 2023, 19:41
The concept of check against MAG is totally irrelevant to be honest . Jet2 are now “the” established holiday company with airline attached business in the UK targeting families in particular.

They already have a presence at Leeds, Manchester, and East Midlands and evidently aren’t opposed to operating from airports in relatively close proximity ( subject to available local market potential to draw from)

We could add Birmingham and Newcastle to that mix as well.

I would not be surprised at all if an operation of two or three aircraft from Liverpool to popular Palma, Alicante, Malaga, Tenerife, a Greek isle ( or two), Paphos and Dalaman with attached packages were in their plans .

Such offerings would not cannibalise Manchester that much imho as they would be marketing at a more local ( City region) dynamic and with their family friendly marketing pitch to boot.

In winter a single part time aircraft might suffice for ski and sun holidays .

Example Chambéry, Tenerife , Lanzarote , Paphos .

basically i am saying if Jet2 Holidays (and analysis of prior trends surpass a threshold) then the vehicles (aircraft) will be delivered to support that demand.

This advocacy might surprise a few here and another place “tall towers”

I could also envisage them starting a base on the untapped south coast at SOU to similar destinations as above. I hear Jet2 have been in conversations with the airport, like others no doubt, let’s wait and see what happens!

RW20
1st May 2023, 21:07
cant see this happening with the Jet2 fleet of 737-800? and SOU closing time of 23-00

pug
1st May 2023, 21:32
Must admit Rutan16, after giving it some thought I’m coming round to the idea of an LPL base for Jet2, largest city region without a Jet2 base now. Given their planned growth it might fit, in spite of MAN being close by. Still, I’m pretty sure that Jet2 are in discussions with lots of airports (including SOU, BOH and no doubt SEN) and have plenty of options available to them. I must reiterate though that I feel gaining some presence at LGW will be a priority, when the slots become available I would not be surprised to see them move in. They’ve publicly stated it’s on their radar, and LGW want them in too, but like others have said when they do get in it will have to be in a big way.

With all that said, i’m still skeptical that they are going to open any new bases in the foreseeable future. They will need to shore up growth at current bases before expanding. So I’m hoping there’s news this year of new bases but I won’t be holding my breath.

OzzyOzBorn
2nd May 2023, 11:11
Don't discount the possibility of Jet2 revisiting the idea of a base in Mainland Spain or the Canaries. This would provide for resilience, and offer the option of operating sectors to unserved UK airports such as LGW, ABZ, NWI, LPL, BOH, CWL etc where a full base may not be practical for reasons of either slot availability or market size. If their services are to UK airports exclusively, operation of G-registered aircraft should not be an issue, unless I am misunderstanding the regulations?

pug
2nd May 2023, 12:08
Don't discount the possibility of Jet2 revisiting the idea of a base in Mainland Spain or the Canaries. This would provide for resilience, and offer the option of operating sectors to unserved UK airports such as LGW, ABZ, NWI, LPL, BOH, CWL etc where a full base may not be practical for reasons of either slot availability or market size. If their services are to UK airports exclusively, operation of G-registered aircraft should not be an issue, unless I am misunderstanding the regulations?

Think that would be plausible and allowable under Third Country rules, not sure how you would manage right to live and work rules though.

Current stance apparently is increase capacity at current bases and retain the flexibility to acquire necessary slots for growth as and when they become available. So unless anything has changed a new base is unlikely in the next couple of years.

Curious Pax
3rd May 2023, 11:58
I must reiterate though that I feel gaining some presence at LGW will be a priority, when the slots become available I would not be surprised to see them move in.

Isn’t that the big question? Are sufficient slots to allow a minimum of 2 aircraft a minimum of 2 rotations 7 days a week likely to be available any time soon?

pug
3rd May 2023, 12:27
Isn’t that the big question? Are sufficient slots to allow a minimum of 2 aircraft a minimum of 2 rotations 7 days a week likely to be available any time soon?

I would say so, yes. Perhaps if the secondary runway becomes available then who knows, but certainly this rumour of an imminent base announcement flies in the face of the current line that they need to focus on growth at currently bases. Unless anything has changed then like I said previously I wouldn’t hold my breath.

For what it’s worth, if for arguments sake they did want to go in to Gatwick and they acquired the slots to do so, it probably wouldn’t start off with two aircraft. Would be a large base to make it worthwhile. I also doubt it would just be a question of slots but also terminal space, they like their brand and they like it to be clearly visible in terminals. Is there scope for that at Gatwick?

Skipness One Foxtrot
3rd May 2023, 18:40
Gatwick churns a lot, Norwegian's based operation collapsed and BA have downsized yet again. There's clearly scope for growth given Wizz haven't exactly set the heather alight.

VickersVicount
3rd May 2023, 20:40
BA have downsized yet again.
What are the stats and projections on that?

Skipness One Foxtrot
3rd May 2023, 22:48
What are the stats and projections on that?
Summer short haul program is currently the 10 G-GAT* machines and up to 9 of the G-EUX* A321s so still well down on summer 2019. Projections aren't worth a damn until orders are placed for new aircraft.

laviation
3rd May 2023, 22:56
Projections aren't worth a damn until orders are placed for new aircraft.
Strange that BA only have 20 A320neo. I'm sure awaiting large order of at least 50 NEO's and a good few A350s and maybe 787s too. Don't think the 200 seat MAX aircraft are even for Euroflyer anyway

AirLCY
4th May 2023, 18:45
Strange that BA only have 20 A320neo. I'm sure awaiting large order of at least 50 NEO's and a good few A350s and maybe 787s too. Don't think the 200 seat MAX aircraft are even for Euroflyer anyway

737’s are no good for BA LHR, not containerised. BA LGW slots are all still owned by BA, leased to VY, I2 and U2.

Danny G
5th May 2023, 12:07
Its been a while since I have flown with Jet2 but have just returned from a week in Rome flying from Manchester and found them spot on. Fast easy check in, comfortable aircraft (737, 24 years old but so what) and departures/arrivals on time or early. In flight food was good as well.

It occurs to me that if Jet2 want to expand at Manchester, maybe they should try long haul. 3 times weekly to Cancun for example would be popular as the only current option is TUI, whos service on that route was woeful last year.

Skipness One Foxtrot
5th May 2023, 12:20
Long haul you say?
flyglobespan anyone?

chaps1954
5th May 2023, 12:37
No comparison Jet2 is a superb operation Globespan a bit toy town

Danny G
5th May 2023, 13:58
Long haul you say?
flyglobespan anyone?

Jet2 have a stable business behind them and there are viable routes to compete on. Im not talking about daily services to the States and Mexico just a limited 2/3 times a week to CUN with only one competitor on the route who has a really bad service offering at the moment.

SWBKCB
5th May 2023, 14:15
Jet2 have a stable business behind them and there are viable routes to compete on. Im not talking about daily services to the States and Mexico just a limited 2/3 times a week to CUN with only one competitor on the route who has a really bad service offering at the moment.

Jet2 is more a holiday company now, so it's not so much the competition on flights but the accomodation available at the other end that matters for destinations such as Cancun. Jet2 would need to be able to offer a good selection.

UnderASouthernSky
5th May 2023, 14:58
Jet2 is more a holiday company now, so it's not so much the competition on flights but the accomodation available at the other end that matters for destinations such as Cancun. Jet2 would need to be able to offer a good selection.

Not just accommodation, but what aircraft would you propose that Jet2 use for it? Unlikely that their current leased A330s are suitable. An all economy config is difficult to make work in terms of yields, so some kind of premium offering might be required... and that is quite a change from the current Jet2 product offering (no matter how good you think their existing products to be).

And sending widebodies on long sectors brings with it a whole new world of potential engineering, hotac and sub-charter problems. Not just as easy as instantly launching a hot spare from a UK base to the Caribbean to bring back delayed pax if your long haul a/c goes tech on departure. All that works very well now for the short haul network.

Danny G
5th May 2023, 16:34
Not just accommodation, but what aircraft would you propose that Jet2 use for it? Unlikely that their current leased A330s are suitable. An all economy config is difficult to make work in terms of yields, so some kind of premium offering might be required... and that is quite a change from the current Jet2 product offering (no matter how good you think their existing products to be).

And sending widebodies on long sectors brings with it a whole new world of potential engineering, hotac and sub-charter problems. Not just as easy as instantly launching a hot spare from a UK base to the Caribbean to bring back delayed pax if your long haul a/c goes tech on departure. All that works very well now for the short haul network.

Yep I understand all that, but at the moment the only option out of Manchester is TUI unless you want to change down route. Yes Jet 2 may need to consider what equipemt to use but I think all economy could work if you are not going every day. Most airlines only offered one class back in the 90s so why not now. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and jump, start small and go from there. Manchester based aircraft, large catchment area and already a market.

Theres only so much expansion possible in the European market and it is very close to saturation now. Yes you can start using other airports but you then get into slot problems and need a lot more base staff.

The Caribbean is an expanding market, with countries like Mexico (I use it because thats where I have most experience) still expanding their resorts. Its not that long ago everyone said Jet2 didnt need A330s but they made that work.

UnderASouthernSky
5th May 2023, 22:32
Yep I understand all that, but at the moment the only option out of Manchester is TUI unless you want to change down route. Yes Jet 2 may need to consider what equipemt to use but I think all economy could work if you are not going every day. Most airlines only offered one class back in the 90s so why not now. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and jump, start small and go from there. Manchester based aircraft, large catchment area and already a market.

Theres only so much expansion possible in the European market and it is very close to saturation now. Yes you can start using other airports but you then get into slot problems and need a lot more base staff.

The Caribbean is an expanding market, with countries like Mexico (I use it because thats where I have most experience) still expanding their resorts. Its not that long ago everyone said Jet2 didnt need A330s but they made that work.

Just because the European market is "saturated", it doesn't mean that market share can't be taken from competitors - especially when the IT/holidays market from the UK seems to be more popular again. Secondly, there is still a lot of short haul market to go at in Turkey/Egypt/North Africa which still fits the SH model if the accommodation is available. A British market for these areas is still there - but some unease may remain about historic security concerns.

back to Boeing
6th May 2023, 07:34
I think Jet2 are quite happy with the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” model. They’re making money hand over fist. They’re highly risk averse (just look at the standby aircraft and standby crew they have). Long haul just doesn’t fit in that model as things stand.

P330
7th May 2023, 06:46
Looks like the NEO enters revenue service today; heading off to Malaga for the morning.

LBAflyer22
7th May 2023, 06:48
I think Jet2 are quite happy with the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” model. They’re making money hand over fist. They’re highly risk averse (just look at the standby aircraft and standby crew they have). Long haul just doesn’t fit in that model as things stand.

Didn’t they come in and alter the way some airlines now do business. The old days of holiday airlines was a packed out schedule with minimal room to breathe. They changed that.

Nothing to say they won’t change the way long haul operates. If that makes sense.

back to Boeing
7th May 2023, 08:27
Didn’t they come in and alter the way some airlines now do business. The old days of holiday airlines was a packed out schedule with minimal room to breathe. They changed that.

Nothing to say they won’t change the way long haul operates. If that makes sense.
I’m quite sure jet2 could put their own spin on longhaul and make it work. I just don’t believe they will in the foreseeable future.

They have a massive new fleet introduction starting now with all the challenges that brings and short haul is very much paying the bills.

RA85684
7th May 2023, 10:03
I am absolutely convinced that Jet2 would make a killing on longhaul and it would be relatively lower risk than a lot of people are envisaging. Florida and Mexico are established markets, as are Jamaica, Barbados and the Dominican Republic. More established than markets like Montenegro that Jet2 are tapping into.

Jet2 has experience with A330's already, and the second hand market is bound to have a good few deals they could pick up if they wanted to take their own on. I do personally believe that a fleet of around 12-18 A330 900's, plus options would be a fantastic add for LS.
They can keep utilisation high March-October on Long and short haul, and they'd be able to keep them ticking over in the winter down to the canaries, on a slimmed down long haul network, New York Christmas shopping trips, cruise charters and ski flights as well as running them through maintenance programmes ahead of the next summer.
They could easily keep the best part of 12 A339's busy out of MAN/STN/BHX, and rotate the rest through the other bases on long haul missions.

pamann
7th May 2023, 10:36
I am absolutely convinced that Jet2 would make a killing on longhaul and it would be relatively lower risk than a lot of people are envisaging. Florida and Mexico are established markets, as are Jamaica, Barbados and the Dominican Republic. More established than markets like Montenegro that Jet2 are tapping into.

Jet2 has experience with A330's already, and the second hand market is bound to have a good few deals they could pick up if they wanted to take their own on. I do personally believe that a fleet of around 12-18 A330 900's, plus options would be a fantastic add for LS.
They can keep utilisation high March-October on Long and short haul, and they'd be able to keep them ticking over in the winter down to the canaries, on a slimmed down long haul network, New York Christmas shopping trips, cruise charters and ski flights as well as running them through maintenance programmes ahead of the next summer.
They could easily keep the best part of 12 A339's busy out of MAN/STN/BHX, and rotate the rest through the other bases on long haul missions.

I’m pretty sure that if/when it happens, Sanford airport in Orlando would throw them a good deal. The terminal was designed with the British public in mind back in the 90’s. It’s a much better experience than McCoy and the airport has been deserted by U.K. carriers in recent years. Though I think the dollar exchange rates would need to improve before we see any real growth in the U.K. > Florida holiday market. It’s currently the most expensive it’s been in 30+ years to take the family there.

There’s definitely a market out there for Cuba that seems to have been forgotten since the demise of Thomas Cook. Tui only offer a once weekly service to Varadero. Holguin and Cayo Coco are two routes that would do well.

On the Dominican Republic Tui have abandoned Puerto Plata (POP) for sometime. It’s definitely the cheaper side of the island and has been missing from U.K. departure boards for a few years now.

All of the above would rely on hotel bed availability. Barbados and some of the other smaller islands would be a struggle IMHO and that’s why I can’t see that happening. I think Norse will discover this next winter.

Jet2 going longhaul comes up on here every three months or so. I still don’t think it’s on their immediate radar if I’m honest. When it does I think it’ll be one of those ‘I wasn’t expecting that’ moments. There’s still room for growth in the short haul market. Tunisia and Egypt spring to mind. I think we’ll see this kind of growth before any attempt to go longhaul.

ATNotts
7th May 2023, 11:19
Jet2 have much less risky potential for development without making massive investment in long haul equipment that they may find difficult to utilise year round.

There must be plenty of scope left in Croatia and Montenegro, and in the same region Albania which if the travel journos are to be believed has plenty of opportunity to be a new destination. The Romanian Black Sea resorts are also ripe for a resurgence at the budget end of the market. Jet2 has no presence yet in Morocco and hasn't gone back to Tunisia since the terrorist attack of some years ago.

Obviously getting accommodation in enough quantity is obviously important for the tour operator business and initially this could be a stumbling block at least initially in some of these markets.

Rutan16
7th May 2023, 11:54

A recipe for disaster and liquidation, job losses and catastrophe for a secure business and in short order !

How many times they are a family holiday company with airline attached

Unless they PURCHASE a cruise company and a mid sized global hotel chain it can’t work ( And by the way even that would be exceptionally risky indeed go ask the administrators of Thomas Cook UK !)

Rutan16
7th May 2023, 11:56
Jet2 have much less risky potential for development without making massive investment in long haul equipment that they may find difficult to utilise year round.

There must be plenty of scope left in Croatia and Montenegro, and in the same region Albania which if the travel journos are to be believed has plenty of opportunity to be a new destination. The Romanian Black Sea resorts are also ripe for a resurgence at the budget end of the market. Jet2 has no presence yet in Morocco and hasn't gone back to Tunisia since the terrorist attack of some years ago.

Obviously getting accommodation in enough quantity is obviously important for the tour operator business and initially this could be a stumbling block at least initially in some of these markets.

Constanta probably rue the days they allowed the Russian mafia to take over the place.

LBAflyer22
7th May 2023, 12:15
A recipe for disaster and liquidation, job losses and catastrophe for a secure business and in short order !

How many times they are a family holiday company with airline attached

Unless they PURCHASE a cruise company and a mid sized global hotel chain it can’t work ( And by the way even that would be exceptionally risky indeed go ask the administrators of Thomas Cook UK !)

Oh we'll ignore customer loyalty, the demand that is untapped, the unchallenged TUI who can absolutely let their standards drop and prices rises as they have 0 competition, and more then likely the shocking customer service that they now provide.

Also shall we ignore the relationships they have with hotel chains and hoteliers. They were welcome in many countries/hotels/resorts around Europe and I'm pretty sure they'll receive the same reception longer haul. As Steve Heapy has said, on many interview with Travel Weekly, the company always pay on time, don't like exclusive hotels/tour operator relationships as it doesn't promote healthy competition + if the worst happens the hotel goes with it.

It's not a recipe for a disaster.

Also - Did Air 2000/First Choice Airways receive the same reception when they started long haul 2 years after starting as an airline in 1989? Or My Travel/Air Tours when they started operations in the mid 90's only 5 years after starting as an airline? It worked and lead to success till mergers. First Choice when they ordered the 787 said the real money is in long haul.

Jet2 are a different beast to all of those. They are successful, have money, operate different to how all those previous operators. Will it work? Probably.

ezyBoh
7th May 2023, 12:50
Having worked at CHANNEX late '90's before it morphed in to JET2 l can say that the group is run like a military operation, no nonsense, no excuses.

Good luck in whatever they decide to do next.

daz211
7th May 2023, 14:31
Long haul wouldn’t be a disaster or even a risk, Jet2 have a massive and loyal customer base just waiting for alternative destinations. I do hope they bring New York Christmas city Breaks back for MAN and expand the route into STN.

cavokblues
7th May 2023, 15:23
Jet2 are incredibly well run. I don't think the current economic climate is right to do expand into long haul - the cost of living crisis and the weak strength of the pound against the dollar - it would be hugely risky for them to start dipping into unknown markets which could prove volatile.

They will do what they do best - cautious expansion into the med markets that they know well. Not saying they won't do long haul eventually but I think it is at least 1-2 years off yet.

pamann
7th May 2023, 15:26
Jet2 are incredibly well run. I don't think the current economic climate is right to do expand into long haul - the cost of living crisis and the weak strength of the pound against the dollar - it would be hugely risky for them to start dipping into unknown markets which could prove volatile.

They will do what they do best - cautious expansion into the med markets that they know well. Not saying they won't do long haul eventually but I think it is at least 1-2 years off yet.

Agreed 👍🏻

double-oscar
7th May 2023, 17:04
Sadly, with the current dollar exchange rate, there is nothing cheap in New York these days. If you are going shopping there are better destinations.

VickersVicount
7th May 2023, 18:43
do Jet2 specifically polish their engine cowling rims? They always look disproportionately shiny and polished compared to others… have a look and you’ll see! :8

Rutan16
7th May 2023, 19:38
Agreed 👍🏻

Exactly to the point

Much sooner Jet2 continue to make margin, retain service level and customer satisfaction, than head head long into the abyss that long haul and associated costs create.

It is NOT a way to make money and evidence of the last twenty years in UK aviation demonstrates that fact.
With current the headwind in our domestic economy I repeat it would be a catastrophe for the company.

A few Christmas flights to the big Apple with rooms included demonstrates nothing when comes to competition for those mid sized resorts against the like of TUi ( globally) , Condor, Scandinavian,US and Canadian companies and cruise lines .

TUi UK (indeed the UK Trade in general ) are small fry in the realms of buying power.

back to Boeing
7th May 2023, 21:14
Jet2 have never done night stops. Crews and aircraft are tucked up in bed every night. And crew’s rosters can be changed at the drop of a hat at the whim of the crewing officer.

Both of those are complete unknowns at jet2.

Cazza_fly
7th May 2023, 22:27
do Jet2 specifically polish their engine cowling rims? They always look disproportionately shiny and polished compared to others… have a look and you’ll see! :8

The nacelle inlets, yes they do. Phil Meeson has even been spotted polishing one himself at LBA on one occasion. There is an absolutely small % fuel burn saving for doing this apparently... I guess over the fleet it adds up somewhat, but its also additional time and manpower. I think it's just ended up being more of an aesthetic look for the brand more than anything now.

excrab
8th May 2023, 18:57
Jet2 have never done night stops. Crews and aircraft are tucked up in bed every night. And crew’s rosters can be changed at the drop of a hat at the whim of the crewing officer.

Both of those are complete unknowns at jet2.

The year before Covid they had scheduled crew night stops, and probably would do so again, if it was viable financially and made money; and with arrivals in the summer scheduled as late as 0330 local time, with delays and waits for ambulifts etc there will be nights when the crews won’t be off duty before 0430 local, so certainly not tucked up in bed before sunrise….

Sadly the only absolute truth in the quoted post is the bit about roster changes 🙁

SamuelDonuts
8th May 2023, 19:01
The year before Covid they had scheduled crew night stops, and probably would do so again, if it was viable financially and made money; and with arrivals in the summer scheduled as late as 0330 local time, with delays and waits for ambulifts etc there will be nights when the crews won’t be off duty before 0430 local, so certainly not tucked up in bed before sunrise….

Sadly the only absolute truth in the quoted post is the bit about roster changes 🙁

Rosters are allegedly going to be much more robust and stable from now on, with the launch of a new company-wide campaign to promot work-lifestyle balance.

It wouldn't take much to re-activate the ALC and PMI bases should that be the desire for overnights, there is still all the equipment and staffing in place - the planned night stops worked quite well when they were last utilised.

BWSBoy6
11th May 2023, 07:53
Not sure if this is the right thread, but rumour has it Jet2 are looking at LGW again.

pabely
11th May 2023, 11:47
Not sure if this is the right thread, but rumour has it Jet2 are looking at LGW again.
I'm sure they would love to base say 12 aircraft & self handle but there are no stands & infrastructure let allown slots available for such and operation unless they have made a deal with BA and we see a massive reduction in other IAG units.

BHX5DME
11th May 2023, 11:53
I'm sure they would love to base say 12 aircraft & self handle but there are no stands & infrastructure let allown slots available for such and operation unless they have made a deal with BA and we see a massive reduction in other IAG units.

Agreed no point in going to LGW unless a large base and no chance of slots etc, I still think it will be Liverpool next.to take pressure off North West demand.

davidjohnson6
11th May 2023, 12:00
Is it possible for Jet2 under its current ownership legal structure, to open an operation in maybe Ireland or the Netherlands ?
I know the UK is not part of the EU... but I'm wondering whether the legal obstacles could be solved in any way

ATNotts
11th May 2023, 12:05
Is it possible for Jet2 under its current ownership legal structure, to open an operation in maybe Ireland or the Netherlands ?
I know the UK is not part of the EU... but I'm wondering whether the legal obstacles could be solved in any way
Simplest way would surely be to buy 49% of a small EU operator with an EU AOC which could then operate not just within the EU but also perhaps serve smaller UK airports not large enough traffic wise to sustain a base operation.

Will they take the risk? I very much doubt it.

pug
11th May 2023, 12:09
Agreed no point in going to LGW unless a large base and no chance of slots etc, I still think it will be Liverpool next.to take pressure off North West demand.

Slots at destination airports are the issue, they appear to want to retain capacity to allow flexibility to jump on slots as and when they become available. Moving to Liverpool does not seem to be in line with company growth strategy (though Jet2 Liverpool does have a ring to it) still too close to MAN to be viable in my view. It would also require capacity commitment that would be best used at incumbent bases. Maintain that LGW is the missing piece in the puzzle if they can get the slots to go in big. Otherwise just can’t see any new bases in the next couple of years unless anything changes or opportunities arise or they reopen crew bases at ALC PMI TFS to build in operational resilience (minimise disruption).

OzzyOzBorn
11th May 2023, 12:18

In what way do you consider NW demand to be under 'pressure'? The MAN operation appears to be thriving and Jet2 seem very happy with it. Flights are rarely delayed, customer feedback is strong, and most importantly the customers keep rebooking. Including me. I'm flying with them again in just under a fortnight. There is no impression of them being under "pressure" when I've used them through MAN ... they're one of the best staffed and best run operations around. Very professional.

I actually think the next Jet2 base will be a reopening of either ALC or PMI which were active pre-covid. They offer down-route resilience and could be used to establish a presence into smaller UK airports, or offer arrivals at the busiest UK hubs between the departure waves of the based fleets.

cavokblues
11th May 2023, 12:24
Problem with a base in PMI and ALI - wouldn't EU residency rules for staff make it a massive headache?

rubymurray
11th May 2023, 13:04
In what way do you consider NW demand to be under 'pressure'? The MAN operation appears to be thriving and Jet2 seem very happy with it. Flights are rarely delayed, customer feedback is strong, and most importantly the customers keep rebooking. Including me. I'm flying with them again in just under a fortnight. There is no impression of them being under "pressure" when I've used them through MAN ... they're one of the best staffed and best run operations around. Very professional.

I actually think the next Jet2 base will be a reopening of either ALC or PMI which were active pre-covid. They offer down-route resilience and could be used to establish a presence into smaller UK airports, or offer arrivals at the busiest UK hubs between the departure waves of the based fleets.

I think what they meant was that demand is outstripping supply in Manchester and there is very little room for expansion, adding Liverpool as a base would complement, not compete, with the Manchester base. It’s been a rumour for a while and I’m sure holidays from Liverpool would be very popular with customers and also many of the crew who live in that area

pug
11th May 2023, 13:21
I think what they meant was that demand is outstripping supply in Manchester and there is very little room for expansion, adding Liverpool as a base would complement, not compete, with the Manchester base. It’s been a rumour for a while and I’m sure holidays from Liverpool would be very popular with customers and also many of the crew who live in that area

Thought that rumour was officially put to bed recently at MAN…?

OzzyOzBorn
11th May 2023, 13:59
rubymurray - Is demand really outstripping supply for Jet2 services from MAN? Do you have data to support that assertion? And if it is the case (very nice problem to have), surely the first recourse would be to enquire with MAG about further expansion of the base at the airport? MAN is currently handling around 4 million fewer pax than in 2019 (based on comparative moving annual totals), and the airport PR suggests a notional capacity of some 40 million pax p.a., so they shouldn't be needing to turn away any expansion requests from Jet2 just yet. Unless you know differently?

I accept that there is an argument for a LPL base in it's own right - but the reason cited by BHX5DME was that Jet2's operation at MAN is under "pressure". I don't accept that argument at all. MAN is one of Jet2's most successful bases. The S23 ACL report indicates that they are adding an additional based unit at MAN this Summer, as well as introducing the first (of hopefully many) A321neo's. It is anticipated that three leased-in A330's will again operate from the MAN base in S23. I have no issue with people promoting the idea of a LPL base on its own merits - but don't cite "fake nooz" of Jet2 experiencing problems at MAN as justification. Perhaps BHX5DME could enlighten us re the nature of the "pressure" he alleges that Jet2 are under at MAN. From my perspective, I see a "well-oiled machine": Jet2's MAN base is a case study in how a good airline operation should be run. Their many front of house customer service staff go the extra mile to ensure that their customers enjoy their journeys in as stress-free a manner as possible; there is no sense of "pressure". Meanwhile, MAG has and continues to support Jet2's growth at the airport, accommodating an expanding based fleet and the ongoing introduction of larger types.

Whatever the case for LPL, I contend that "pressure" at MAN isn't it. I invite BHX5DME to specify what prompted him to allege that Jet2's MAN operation is under "pressure" to an extent which requires a new base at a competing location.

OzzyOzBorn
11th May 2023, 14:31
Problem with a base in PMI and ALI - wouldn't EU residency rules for staff make it a massive headache?

With all Jet2 services operating to UK airports, use of G- registered aircraft ought to be fine. Ground support staff would presumably be locally recruited, something the local authorities would welcome.

With regard to flight crew, I'm not sure whether temporary detachments to those bases using UK crews would be practical or not. Were the crew over there in 2019(?) permanently based?

rubymurray
11th May 2023, 14:32
rubymurray - Is demand really outstripping supply for Jet2 services from MAN? Do you have data to support that assertion? And if it is the case (very nice problem to have), surely the first recourse would be to enquire with MAG about further expansion of the base at the airport? MAN is currently handling around 4 million fewer pax than in 2019 (based on comparative moving annual totals), and the airport PR suggests a notional capacity of some 40 million pax p.a., so they shouldn't be needing to turn away any expansion requests from Jet2 just yet. Unless you know differently?

I asked our base management recently about the Liverpool base rumours and they confirmed that it was still being looked at as they are unable to expand in Manchester as much as they’d like to for various reasons (landing slots, ground handling etc)

Whether it actually happens or not, I have no idea. I’d say all bets are off with regards to routes and bases at the moment and we’ll find out anything new when the general public does. The big bosses have said they’d like to double the size of the operation in the next five years so there’s some very interesting times ahead…

pug
11th May 2023, 14:55
I asked our base management recently about the Liverpool base rumours and they confirmed that it was still being looked at as they are unable to expand in Manchester as much as they’d like to for various reasons (landing slots, ground handling etc)

Whether it actually happens or not, I have no idea. I’d say all bets are off with regards to routes and bases at the moment and we’ll find out anything new when the general public does. The big bosses have said they’d like to double the size of the operation in the next five years so there’s some very interesting times ahead…

Latest officially is double in size by 2030 and no new bases for the next couple of years.

Of course things can change rapidly, but I’m skeptical as to whether base management would be privy to any strategic plans until such time that it is made public.

With the growth plans in the longer term I would be surprised if Liverpool wasn’t on their radar, but I would also be surprised if it was on their priority list at the moment as there is still a gaping hole in their Southern market that can be filled if sufficient slots and aircraft became available, not to mention slots at overseas airports - which is the issue at the moment not so much the bases.

BHX5DME
11th May 2023, 15:15

Exactly my point MAN is very successful but very little room to expand, so Liverpool would plug that gap for North West

pug
11th May 2023, 15:38
Exactly my point MAN is very successful but very little room to expand, so Liverpool would plug that gap for North West

The problem isn’t with MAN it’s with room at destinations. Opening new bases is expensive. Jet2 Liverpool has a ring to it but your argument is flawed, there are I believe other markets to expand into before Liverpool gets a look in. Of course I don’t know what they are planning but they have always been careful not to tread on their own toes too much, so Liverpool will probably happen at some point but do not see how it would be a priority.

OzzyOzBorn
11th May 2023, 15:40
they are unable to expand in Manchester as much as they’d like to for various reasons (landing slots, ground handling etc)

Jet2's business model means that their fleet is used less intensively than those of other carriers in the UK short-haul leisure market. Therefore, it would be surprising if they could not secure sufficient viable slots to meet their needs at MAN given the scheduling flexibility they have. Also, MAN has recently stepped up to twin runway ops throughout most of the day for the Summer period, which expands slot availability. Meanwhile, the airport is currently handling around 500-550 movements daily, well short of numbers regularly accommodated afew years back. I'd expect some increase over these numbers into July through September, though it doesn't look like anything close to record demand will be on the cards.

There is a general shortage of ground handling staff. However, Jet2 do their own handling at MAN and are seen as a very good employer. They should be able to attract the numbers they need to vacant positions. Of course, this may come at the expense of workers moving from other handlers notorious for very poor pay and conditions. But from Jet2's perspective, that would be someone else's problem.

Finally, if MAG management really can't accommodate expansion from a core based-carrier such as Jet2, then they have serious questions to answer. Firstly, with passenger throughput running around 4 million ppa below 2019 numbers (and around 15 million short of the notional capacity which their PR claims), how come they're denying expansion requests when traffic remains seriously depressed compared with pre-covid years? Yes, we know that a number of stands are temporarily unavailable due to ongoing construction work, but not nearly enough to pin the airport back to throughput some 15 million passengers short of their claimed annual capacity. The true chokepoint they do have is T3 which MAG elected not to expand ahead of rising demand from Ryanair some years ago. But Jet2 don't use T3.

OzzyOzBorn
11th May 2023, 16:02
Exactly my point MAN is very successful but very little room to expand

MAN cites its notional annual capacity as being 40 million pax per annum. They're currently doing in the region of 25-26 million per annum, well short of the record number seen as of September 2019 [29,510,599]. Expansion in due course will be very welcome, however, the airport is currently operating at a level well below its declared and historic capacity, both in terms of movements and passenger throughput. Any future infrastructure expansion would be incremental to that capacity figure currently declared.

So I ask you again, BHX5DME. Can you give us specific data to back up your claim that MAN is under "pressure" to the extent that it cannot accommodate further expansion by Jet2? (Though Jet2 is expanding at MAN anyway).

We know that staffing can be a problem for one-off ad-hoc charters, but based programmes are planned for and rostered months ahead of time. And model employer Jet2 never seems short of willing staff.

eye2eye5
11th May 2023, 16:07
It will be interesting to see if the lower utilisation currently employed by Jet2 will change as the new A321 NEOs arrive. They will be far more expensive to acquire than older 737 NGs although they do, of course, carry more passengers and have low seat/mile costs.

chaps1954
11th May 2023, 17:01
Of course a lot of the 737NG were bought brand new from Boeing. I think what BHX5DME might be thinking under presure maybe the security problems from last year which have completely been sorted
and they have just announced 27 new shops and restaurants so that doesn`t sound like presure to me. There is a lot of expansion from other airlines i:e Gulf Air, Ethiopian, Hainan, Cathay ,Egyptair ,Saudi which seem to be growing a quick pace. I can see there are points of the day which are busy but not to the point that it is stretched and there also times where there is plenty of room.