PDA

View Full Version : Jet2-6

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

chaps1954
9th Nov 2022, 07:03
The routes flown over winter mainly are operated Friday thru Monday with a lot not starting until late December and some finishing mid Jan until late march and at one point Wednesday was a no go from
anywhere even LBA and MAN.Many of the aircraft go in for some well earned TLC and longer checks.

JonnyH
24th Nov 2022, 11:24
https://www.ft.com/content/5224012f-b7b2-4d32-9653-d2fccecd116f

Good news for Jet2, they’ve bounced back quite well from the pandemic, despite paying out more than £50M in disruption associated costs.

Be interesting to see what TUI’s compensation related costs are too as I’m surprised at the amount for Jet2.

Karl Denton
26th Nov 2022, 19:15
G-JZBL been operating out of Gatwick for a few weeks. Presuming charters?

Mooncrest
26th Nov 2022, 19:45
Yes, similar sort of programme to this time last year.

irishlad06
27th Nov 2022, 05:42
Yes, similar sort of programme to this time last year.

this years program is to be much bigger and also longer. 4 aircraft to be temporarily based in LGW

Flying Wild
27th Nov 2022, 10:28
Lapland charters
Ski charter for Balkan Holidays
Cruise Charter for P&O cruises to TFS.

Mooncrest
27th Nov 2022, 15:56
this years program is to be much bigger and also longer. 4 aircraft to be temporarily based in LGW
Shows what I know, i.e. nowt.

VLCfkight
6th Dec 2022, 09:55
Why do Jet2 aircraft change their call signs from LS to EXS?

A Jet2 flight ecently arrived into VLC, not a usual Jet2 destination, as a LS flight and departed as an EXS flight.

Airbanda
6th Dec 2022, 09:57
The are rumours rife a few of the Boeing 737-300 fleet could leaving LBA this winter. Maybe retirement / scrapping who knows?
​​​​

FR24 shows quite a few out and about at the moment on services to the Med, CDG and the winter/Christmas Market services to Germany and Austria.

Airbanda
6th Dec 2022, 09:59
Why do Jet2 aircraft change their call signs from LS to EXS?

A Jet2 flight ecently arrived into VLC, not a usual Jet2 destination, as a LS flight and departed as an EXS flight.

AIUI the callsign is always Channex.

LS is a flight number and EXS is the (ICAO) designator.

VLCfkight
6th Dec 2022, 10:18
Why change though? Does the EXS flight number signify that it was a dead-leg not carrying any passengers back to its origin, Leeds?

chaps1954
6th Dec 2022, 11:13
Nothing has changed it has always been EXS as its ICAO code but on your ticket it will show as LS, if you look at FR24 Ryanair show as FR while ADSB it shows as RYR and Easyjet UK either
EZY or U2 and Easy Europe EJU or or U2

OzzyOzBorn
6th Dec 2022, 11:27
It is standard for passenger carriers to have a 3-letter ICAO code for use in the ATC environment and a two-letter IATA code for ticketing.

You can find comprehensive lists online if you are interested.

Jamesair1
6th Dec 2022, 15:44
It does seem that the EXS designator is used for either positioning or deadleg flights.

UnderASouthernSky
6th Dec 2022, 15:45
I read the OP's question as "why might it show LS inbound but EXS outbound on the same app?" In my view, likely to be a software glitch rather than anything more around "loaded inbound, ferry out", "or pax inbound and resort staff out".

VLCfkight
6th Dec 2022, 15:54
But VLC is not a usual Jet2 destination, nor is it a package holiday destination - TUI Belgium are the only non-scheduled carrier to operateinto VLC on a regular basis so Jet2 was a surprsing visitor. This was the reason I posed the question

LBIA
6th Dec 2022, 20:19
But VLC is not a usual Jet2 destination, nor is it a package holiday destination - TUI Belgium are the only non-scheduled carrier to operateinto VLC on a regular basis so Jet2 was a surprsing visitor. This was the reason I posed the question

LBA-VLC was a charter flight for Leeds United FC

davidjohnson6
6th Dec 2022, 20:22
This site may prove helpful in discussing airline codes.
https://www.avcodes.co.uk/airlcoderes.asp

P330
13th Dec 2022, 14:13
A couple of weeks old now but new destinations in the pipeline from Jet2, but no long haul plans………yet.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/new-destinations-in-the-pipeline-jet2-chief-reveals-37169

daz211
13th Dec 2022, 19:32
A330 on the MAN-ACE route for summer 2023, this route was not covered in 2022 with the A330.

P330
28th Jan 2023, 16:33
In an era of strikes and poor employee relations, how refreshing to see a news story like this.

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/jet2-to-award-all-employees-9-pay-rise-in-april

SouthernAlliance
28th Jan 2023, 17:26
In an era of strikes and poor employee relations, how refreshing to see a news story like this.

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/jet2-to-award-all-employees-9-pay-rise-in-april

From the outside, it looks a fantastically run business!

P330
28th Jan 2023, 18:39
From the outside, it looks a fantastically run business!

I’d be interested if any drivers, crew or airport/resort staff feel the same from the inside as what is shown from the outside….

Chesty Morgan
28th Jan 2023, 18:57
I’d be interested if any drivers, crew or airport/resort staff feel the same from the inside as what is shown from the outside….
I think that most of us at the coal face would definitely agree.

P330
28th Jan 2023, 19:50
I think that most of us at the coal face would definitely agree.

Brilliant. Long may it continue. Always a pleasure to fly with you on Jet2.

jethro15
28th Jan 2023, 20:07
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but outside leases aside, haven't JET2 always prompted positive reviews from all quarters since their inception?

BFS BHD
28th Jan 2023, 20:35
Anyone know what month the first new A321neo is due?

SamuelDonuts
28th Jan 2023, 20:54

Very fluid situation but, at the moment, potentially April.

jethro15
28th Jan 2023, 21:05

MSN 11379. Regd G-SUNB allocated (Holidays livery). Delivery date unknown to me.

BFS BHD
28th Jan 2023, 21:49
MSN 11379. Regd G-SUNB allocated (Holidays livery). Delivery date unknown to me.

Thanks for the information

Jaf4fa
28th Jan 2023, 22:16
About Apr is the latest😁

P330
3rd Feb 2023, 12:02
Looks like Jess is getting a bit of a bashing....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/21249010/jet2-passenger-hilarious-graffiti-flight/

Wycombe
3rd Feb 2023, 19:59
Looks like Jess is getting a bit of a bashing....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/21249010/jet2-passenger-hilarious-graffiti-flight/
It is a bit overplayed onboard IMHO, probably time it was changed - anyone for a bit of Dua Lipa?!

The Flying Stool
3rd Feb 2023, 22:52
It is a bit overplayed onboard IMHO, probably time it was changed - anyone for a bit of Dua Lipa?!
Overplayed? It's literally played once amongst other songs during boarding. The backing track is used for pre-recorded announcements but that's the only time the actual song is played. It's a common myth that Jet2 continuously play the song.

Wycombe
4th Feb 2023, 08:00
Overplayed? It's literally played once amongst other songs during boarding. The backing track is used for pre-recorded announcements but that's the only time the actual song is played. It's a common myth that Jet2 continuously play the song.
With respect, I'm talking about my experience on board and not myth (flying with Jet2 against next month, so will update my impression!). Perhaps it was the pre-recorded stuff, but I just remember quite a lot of it!

ATNotts
4th Feb 2023, 08:23
Wouldn't surprise me had attention seeking PAX scrawled on the card themselves before taking the picture!

Mind you I have had enough of the ditty in their advertising myself too.

UlsterFly
4th Feb 2023, 09:08
Well, it’s working… you hear the song, you know what brand is being represented! Is it current? Well, we’re still talking about it and they say no advertising is bad advertising! 👍

The Flying Stool
4th Feb 2023, 09:28
With respect, I'm talking about my experience on board and not myth (flying with Jet2 against next month, so will update my impression!). Perhaps it was the pre-recorded stuff, but I just remember quite a lot of it!

My six year old daughter recently said 'oh it's the holiday song' when she heard it played on the radio. The marketing obviously works.

ATNotts
4th Feb 2023, 09:46
Well, it’s working… you hear the song, you know what brand is being represented! Is it current? Well, we’re still talking about it and they say no advertising is bad advertising! 👍
Brand recognition is one thing, whether it puts off rather than encourages custom is another. I am sure far cleverer marketing people know the answer to that.

Whatever its better than the terrible 'Most wonderful time of the year' thing run by a competitor whose brand name I cannot remember.

Sotonsean
4th Feb 2023, 12:39
Brand recognition is one thing, whether it puts off rather than encourages custom is another. I am sure far cleverer marketing people know the answer to that.

Whatever its better than the terrible 'Most wonderful time of the year' thing run by a competitor whose brand name I cannot remember.
​​​​​​
Regarding the latter.

Your refering to "On The Beach" featuring that awful family, who I get the impression are a real family as the dad and his dreadful son do look very similar.

L1011effoh
4th Feb 2023, 16:25
​​​​​​
Regarding the latter.

Your refering to "On The Beach" featuring that awful family, who I get the impression are a real family as the dad and his dreadful son do look very similar.
Apologies for being OT, but that advert makes me want to go anywhere that horrible family isn’t, and I’m definitely not booking with On The Beach.

Sotonsean
5th Feb 2023, 00:13
Apologies for being OT, but that advert makes me want to go anywhere that horrible family isn’t, and I’m definitely not booking with On The Beach.

No need to apologise for being OT, I'm totally in agreement with you.

That sort of advert I personally find extremely tacky. But even though I don't personally take package holiday's the TUI adverts in comparison are really good.

daz211
5th Feb 2023, 08:07
I actually think the song works extremely well for the brand, you don’t need to be watching the TV, when the song comes on the radio or TV you automatically think of Jet2, to me it is on a par with the Mc Donald’s whistles at the end of the advert, you hear it and you know what it is, this is a very rare achievement in brand recognition.

brian70
5th Feb 2023, 09:24
Quick question, does anyone know what type is being used on LS931/2 to/from Malta on 20/8 & 03/9? Last year this flight was a 757, but seat guru have it down as being a 738 this year. I really hope it's still a 757 as I'd love to fly on one before they're retired.

ImagineIf
5th Feb 2023, 10:45
Quick question, does anyone know what type is being used on LS931/2 to/from Malta on 20/8 & 03/9? Last year this flight was a 757, but seat guru have it down as being a 738 this year. I really hope it's still a 757 as I'd love to fly on one before they're retired.

Currently planned for 738 still so Seat Guru is accurate. Looks like the 75 is working hard with 7 of 8 units flying, each doing 2 rotations out of MAN that day with 1 reserve frame.

garry8g
5th Feb 2023, 20:21
Jethro's reporting today, that Jet2 have 4 B738-800's leased for summer 23.

2 from Smartwings, both based at BHX (OK-TSR & OK-TVH).

2 from AirExplore, both based at EMA.

azz767
5th Feb 2023, 20:40
Jethro's reporting today, that Jet2 have 4 B738-800's leased for summer 23.

2 from Smartwings, both based at BHX (OK-TSR & OK-TVH).

2 from AirExplore, both based at EMA.

I wonder if the sketchy reliability of Smartlynx at BHX has made them look elsewhere, or whether this is actually additional capacity.

rubymurray
5th Feb 2023, 20:53
Currently Jet2 have no plans to use Smartlynx at all this year

jethro15
5th Feb 2023, 21:27
To the best of my knowledge:
Jet2 Fleet List (jethroseu.co.uk) (https://www.jethroseu.co.uk/fleets/fleet_listings/jet2.htm)

leadinghand
6th Feb 2023, 09:26
STN-BVC from late june looks promising

Cazza_fly
6th Feb 2023, 11:56
STN-BVC from late june looks promising

??? Are you sure of the destination ?

SamuelDonuts
6th Feb 2023, 23:41
I wonder if the sketchy reliability of Smartlynx at BHX has made them look elsewhere, or whether this is actually additional capacity.

Nailed it. Never again...

Cazza_fly
8th Feb 2023, 09:49
Nailed it. Never again...

Proof they actually care about their reputation and passengers. TUI on the other hand have yet again leased them in for the summer. Even after the disastrous mess they caused them last year.

MKY661
8th Feb 2023, 10:45
I think Condor also terminated their contract with SmartLynx at the beginning of the year? Mustn't be good for SmartLynx anyway.

Flying Hi
8th Feb 2023, 10:49
doesn't currently feature on website as holiday destination or flight only.

pabely
8th Feb 2023, 11:58
Proof they actually care about their reputation and passengers. TUI on the other hand have yet again leased them in for the summer. Even after the disastrous mess they caused them last year.
Let's hope some old SAS 738s and desert stored examples work out.

Yeehaw22
8th Feb 2023, 15:13

Haha yeah because airexplore and smartwings are so much better.:E

Cazza_fly
8th Feb 2023, 15:36

Statistically Smartwings are, but i cant comment on Airexplore. The main point is, Smartlynx let them down hugely last year. Luckily Jet2 managed to action plenty of contingency plans so not to impact their holiday pax too much. Something TUI in the UK did not / were unable to with their Smartlynx operation last year. Lets hope they have learnt from their mistakes.

Vokes55
8th Feb 2023, 17:32
Statistically Smartwings are, but i cant comment on Airexplore. The main point is, Smartlynx let them down hugely last year. Luckily Jet2 managed to action plenty of contingency plans so not to impact their holiday pax too much. Something TUI in the UK did not / were unable to with their Smartlynx operation last year. Lets hope they have learnt from their mistakes.

Nonsense. Jet2 were just as badly affected as TUI (and EZY). Every weekend of the summer was a total shambles for Jet2 at BHX.

Jet2 fanboyism alive and well on Pprune.

Kevgti
8th Feb 2023, 18:54
I'm convinced that I saw a post somewhere about Jet2 flights to Cape Verde being rumoured for this year and a reference to there being more padding required on the seats....can't for the life of me find it now.

Kevgti
8th Feb 2023, 18:56
The main thing is that they have learned from last year and are looking at alternatives to SmartLynx, which shows that they are at least trying to do better than last year. You can't knock them for that.

Big Tudor
8th Feb 2023, 21:19
Nonsense. Jet2 were just as badly affected as TUI (and EZY). Every weekend of the summer was a total shambles for Jet2 at BHX.

Oh dear Vokes. You just can’t help yourself from doing a bit of Jet2 bashing can you. Your claim that Jet2 was just as badly affected as TUI isn’t reflected in the news headlines from last summer is it? I don’t recall the police being called to any Jet2 aircraft to tell the seated customers to get off as their flight (and holiday) was cancelled!

pamann
8th Feb 2023, 21:36
I'm convinced that I saw a post somewhere about Jet2 flights to Cape Verde being rumoured for this year and a reference to there being more padding required on the seats....can't for the life of me find it now.

If Cape Verde was going to happen this summer, then it would have been put on sale by now.

It will also most likely require night-stopping of crew in CV. I believe Tui only crew flights on both rotations if on the 787? 737 crew have to night stop. This would add complexity to the Jet2 flying program as they haven’t yet dipped their toes in such a regular operation.

I’m also not sure if the 737-800 has the legs for it? I believe Tui utilises the MAX?

Something for the 757/A321. Neither of which are based at STN. Not their own metal anyway.

LBAflyer22
8th Feb 2023, 21:42

Printout out the truth is not fanboysim. It's simply the truth. Jet2 were able to recovery quickly and make more contingency plans. I don't think, even if first summer back, the Wamos A330 was in the plans but ended up been in the plans due to the Smartlynx fiasco.

LBAflyer22
8th Feb 2023, 21:44

They briefly dealt with AirExplore last year in EMA for 2 weeks.

Smartwings have a reputation which they'll have to live up to. This is proof that Jet2 don't mess about and if an ACMI carrier is crap they are shown the door.

The96er
9th Feb 2023, 09:49
They briefly dealt with AirExplore last year in EMA for 2 weeks.

Smartwings have a reputation which they'll have to live up to. This is proof that Jet2 don't mess about and if an ACMI carrier is crap they are shown the door.

AirExplore operated on behalf of Sun Express into MAN this past summer on one of the AYT rotations and proved themselves to be very reliable and professional in their operation.

OltonPete
9th Feb 2023, 10:55
Printout out the truth is not fanboysim. It's simply the truth. Jet2 were able to recovery quickly and make more contingency plans. I don't think, even if first summer back, the Wamos A330 was in the plans but ended up been in the plans due to the Smartlynx fiasco.

From memory as a BHX watcher this is more how I remember it looking back at various forums etc. Of course a very different situation between the two at BHX with Jet2 at the mercy of Smartlynx with TUI all in-house issues on short-haul. BHX had no short-haul leases for TUI and the issues were all around aircraft and crew availability whereas Jet2 seemed to be fine with their own fleet and resolved the Smartlynx issue by changing from a 4 aircraft operation to a three aircraft operation which I am sure inconvenienced some passengers as dropping two flights a day from 220 seats to 189 can't have been easy but in general it worked well. Often all four A321's flew but instead of 16 sectors between them just 12.

Again from memory TUI also sorted out short-haul and it was just long-haul that had the main issues. I think what helped was Jet2 always planned to have a spare 738 at BHX and all that changed in the end is that swapped to one of the A321's.

Pete

4eyed anorak
9th Feb 2023, 11:39
I've just returned from Cape Verde and the TUI reps were actually wanting Jet2 to start there. They think that TUI are begining to be too comfortable and prices too high.

Regards 4ea

leadinghand
9th Feb 2023, 18:34
If Cape Verde was going to happen this summer, then it would have been put on sale by now.

It will also most likely require night-stopping of crew in CV. I believe Tui only crew flights on both rotations if on the 787? 737 crew have to night stop. This would add complexity to the Jet2 flying program as they haven’t yet dipped their toes in such a regular operation.

I’m also not sure if the 737-800 has the legs for it? I believe Tui utilises the MAX?

Something for the 757/A321. Neither of which are based at STN. Not their own metal anyway.

As the a321 neo start to arrive giving better range then, just maybe, that is when Jet2 will start 'dipping their toes into such operations' with a long term plan for further expansion.

Cazza_fly
9th Feb 2023, 18:39

The 737-800 is capable on the route, but only from SID in most weather conditions. TUI Germany and TUI Netherlands have used them for years on the routes. TUI Airways had planned to use the 738 from DSA at one point.

As you mentioned though, when the A321neos start arriving, i'd expect to see both BVC and SID introduced.

Kevgti
9th Feb 2023, 19:08
They are returning in S23 though aren't they? Which 3 will it be? G-VYGL/G-VYGM I presume, with another?
Post on a Jet2 FB page about passengers being informed that World2Fly will be operating their flight from MAN so looks like that will be the 3rd A330.

irishlad06
9th Feb 2023, 23:54
Post on a Jet2 FB page about passengers being informed that World2Fly will be operating their flight from MAN so looks like that will be the 3rd A330.

yes World2Fly A330-300 operating to Faro and Dalaman

sdbelgium
10th Feb 2023, 12:34
Only initially it’ll be the World2Fly A333, to be replaced by Wamos A330-200 from June onwards as the third frame, along with the 2x AirTanker.

2Planks
10th Feb 2023, 12:43
Happy 20th Birthday to jet2 and all personnel involved from the start. 80 to 12000 staff is an achievement to be proud of.

irishlad06
11th Feb 2023, 16:17
Only initially it’ll be the World2Fly A333, to be replaced by Wamos A330-200 from June onwards as the third frame, along with the 2x AirTanker.

not sure it is - otherwise why would they be having their cabin crew trained to operate on the world2fly.

there was a rumour of Wamos returning as a 4th a330 but I don’t believe that is happening this year.

Bam Thwok
11th Feb 2023, 20:28
Happy 20th Birthday to jet2 and all personnel involved from the start. 80 to 12000 staff is an achievement to be proud of.

And on this anniversary, it looks like Jet2Holidays have knocked TUI(UK) off its top spot as the UK’s largest tour operator !

https://www.caa.co.uk/atol-protection/check-an-atol/atol-reports/

sportzbar
12th Feb 2023, 07:05
not sure it is - otherwise why would they be having their cabin crew trained to operate on the world2fly.

there was a rumour of Wamos returning as a 4th a330 but I don’t believe that is happening this year.
Nor sure they are having their own crew training on it, but are having a couple of "extra" Jet2 cabin crew onboard for customer service purposes.

The aircraft will be crewed by World2fly cabin crew as it's only operating May-June when it gets replaced by a Wamos frame for the rest of the season..

easyboy22
12th Feb 2023, 07:48
Nor sure they are having their own crew training on it, but are having a couple of "extra" Jet2 cabin crew onboard for customer service purposes.

The aircraft will be crewed by World2fly cabin crew as it's only operating May-June when it gets replaced by a Wamos frame for the rest of the season..

it’s all jet2 crew, some done training already more training in feb and March

Big Tudor
12th Feb 2023, 13:31

No, it is not.

sportzbar
12th Feb 2023, 13:49
it’s all jet2 crew, some done training already more training in feb and March
I stand corrected and will inform the Jet2 cabin crew member who told me that she really needs to pay more attention to internal memos.....

LBIA
12th Feb 2023, 18:56
It's going to be interesting when they send an A330 into LBA after the terminal extension is built in 2 years time..summer 2025.

P330
13th Feb 2023, 15:17
It's going to be interesting when they send an A330 into LBA after the terminal extension is built in 2 years time..summer 2025.

Any suggestion that dropping 330s into LBA is on the cards?

toon22
13th Feb 2023, 15:20
Caledonian flew Tristars into LBA but it didn’t end well...

pamann
13th Feb 2023, 16:16
Any suggestion that dropping 330s into LBA is on the cards?

I reckon widebodies will be seen at STN or BHX before we see them at LBA.

Curious Pax
13th Feb 2023, 19:22
Caledonian flew Tristars into LBA but it didn’t end well...

If you’re thinking of what I think you’re thinking of, it was actually British Airtours G-BBAI on 27/5/1985!

LBAflyer22
13th Feb 2023, 19:29
No, it is not.

How do you know it's not? What's your source? Can you validate this claim? Have you got a counter to this?

If not then this comment is futile and not required.

Big Tudor
14th Feb 2023, 06:55
How do you know it's not? What's your source? Can you validate this claim? Have you got a counter to this?

If not then this comment is futile and not required.
Ah, so someone can post comments with no validation, no source and no justification to back them up, but when they are challenged these points are suddenly required. Much like the “Cape Verde for Summer 23” claims.

1. I work there.
2. My job means I know
3. I deal with it every day

If that is not sufficient then tough.

LBAflyer22
14th Feb 2023, 11:04
Ah, so someone can post comments with no validation, no source and no justification to back them up, but when they are challenged these points are suddenly required. Much like the “Cape Verde for Summer 23” claims.

1. I work there.
2. My job means I know
3. I deal with it every day

If that is not sufficient then tough.

Said poster later explains internal memo from Crew. Meanwhile Mr.Blunt over cannot back it up unless challenged.

You work where Manchester airport for Jet2? Your aware that things do change behind the scenes at pace and whilst you've been told one thing by the end of the week it could quite well be another.

I don't think Cape Verde claims were daft and actually have legs given the A321NEO's are coming and they have upwards of 140 aircraft on order coupled with nearly 40 new 737-800NG's. Yes for Summer 23 they are stupid, they wouldn't sell. But to put on Sale for the coming winter - it could quite well work. Newark may be back next Winter too ... who knows. Stranger things have happened.

You never know what the company are up to unless you're the MD or a director or sit within the planning team.

The Flying Stool
14th Feb 2023, 11:26
The problem with Cape Verde is that it's just a bit too far away. Operating an A321 there would require a night stop. That massively increases costs. As some have already mentioned, TUI operate the Cape Verde with a night stop for crew on the 737 MAX. The Dreamliner is a little faster and can do it there and back in a day but crew duty is still tight.

If we look at Maderia yesterday for example, eight Jet2 flights were scheduled. All of them diverted due to the weather there. At least half of those were forced to night stop as the crews were running out of duty. Madieria is approximately 2-2.5 hours closer to home than Cape Verde.

LBAflyer22
14th Feb 2023, 11:39
If we look at Maderia yesterday for example, eight Jet2 flights were scheduled. All of them diverted due to the weather there. At least half of those were forced to night stop as the crews were running out of duty.

A divert reduces hours the allowed hours on duty due to adding a further flight into their duty. Therefore available hours to play with decreases. Some may have not wanted to depart till a more favourable weather window at FNC which would have put them completely out of the duty hours.

We all know Jet2 are astute and therefore Cape Verde, should they want to look at it, would be assessed suitably. The only other option is to have the crew fly as passengers one way and swap with the crew that took the aircraft out. Long ol' day for both but if it legally works then it works. Reduces cost.

Yeehaw22
14th Feb 2023, 11:46
Said poster later explains internal memo from Crew. Meanwhile Mr.Blunt over cannot back it up unless challenged.

What do you expect them to do? Start posting sensitive company info and potentially put themselves in trouble just to prove to you they are who they say they are?

What are your credentials exactly? What basis are you posting your information on? I haven't seen any of your posts backed up with evidence, You're acting like some sort of thread admin, check out what the R stands for in Pprune FFS.

LBAflyer22
14th Feb 2023, 11:59
What do you expect them to do? Start posting sensitive company info and potentially put themselves in trouble just to prove to you they are who they say they are?

What are your credentials exactly? What basis are you posting your information on? I haven't seen any of your posts backed up with evidence, You're acting like some sort of thread admin, check out what the R stands for in Pprune FFS.

No I wouldn't but as you say there is a R in the PPRune - Rumour. If you've got the information maybe there is a polite way of putting that a member is wrong.

I've not exactly posted anything in defence nor been blunt with other members who are discussing - as you say discussing rumours. Meanwhile Mr blunt shuts it down without any clarity. Personally found it very rude considering, as you say, its a "RUMOUR" network.

I don't post information about the company which has not already been discussed previously or is sensitive. I discuss the rumours and/or give my opinion. Therefore I don't need credentials or to have a source to my information.

Yeehaw22
14th Feb 2023, 12:13
Therefore I don't need credentials or to have a source to my information.

But that's exactly what you're asking of others. :ugh:

excrab
14th Feb 2023, 13:00
We all know Jet2 are astute and therefore Cape Verde, should they want to look at it, would be assessed suitably. The only other option is to have the crew fly as passengers one way and swap with the crew that took the aircraft out. Long ol' day for both but if it legally works then it works. Reduces cost.[/QUOTE]

I suspect that the number of fatigue reports they received from the crews operating back would hopefully put a stop to that pretty quickly. The crew sitting in the cabin on the way out get no “rest”, and are just as tired arriving at the destination as the crew who operated out, more so in fact as the seats in the cabin are far less comfortable than on the flight deck, even on a 737. This tired crew then have to jump in the front and fly back. It maybe “legal” as they are technically only operating one sector thus extending the maximum flight duty period, but it certainly isn’t safe.

Oceanic815
14th Feb 2023, 14:22
I suspect that the number of fatigue reports they received from the crews operating back would hopefully put a stop to that pretty quickly. The crew sitting in the cabin on the way out get no “rest”, and are just as tired arriving at the destination as the crew who operated out, more so in fact as the seats in the cabin are far less comfortable than on the flight deck, even on a 737. This tired crew then have to jump in the front and fly back. It maybe “legal” as they are technically only operating one sector thus extending the maximum flight duty period, but it certainly isn’t safe.

Whilst operating a single sector increased your available FDP under JAR rules, unfortunately EASA groups 1 and 2 sectors together with the same available FDP.

excrab
14th Feb 2023, 15:14
Whilst operating a single sector increased your available FDP under JAR rules, unfortunately EASA groups 1 and 2 sectors together with the same available FDP.

As a crew member I see no reason for that to be “unfortunate” but maybe it is for an airline manager who wants to reduce costs or a passenger who wants cheaper flights.

Lets hope that post Brexit the U.K. CAA don’t at some point to ditch the EASA rules…

And to go back to the original idea I was replying to that will at least stop it from happening as there would be no advantage. In dead heading the crew out, But I understand that TUI also operate from U.K. to Cape Verde and back on a 737 MAX in one crew rotation, so under whatever rules they use it should be possible on a 737-800 as well as on an Airbus.

Cazza_fly
14th Feb 2023, 15:19
As a crew member I see no reason for that to be “unfortunate” but maybe it is for an airline manager who wants to reduce costs or a passenger who wants cheaper flights.

Lets hope that post Brexit the U.K. CAA don’t at some point to ditch the EASA rules…

And to go back to the original idea I was replying to that will at least stop it from happening as there would be no advantage. In dead heading the crew out, But I understand that TUI also operate from U.K. to Cape Verde and back on a 737 MAX in one crew rotation, so under whatever rules they use it should be possible on a 737-800 as well as on an Airbus.

CAA rules are often more stringent than EASA rules... infact many EASA documents were formed from CAA rules. However i digress...

Big Tudor
14th Feb 2023, 16:39

You work where Manchester airport for Jet2? Your aware that things do change behind the scenes at pace and whilst you've been told one thing by the end of the week it could quite well be another.

You never know what the company are up to unless you're the MD or a director or sit within the planning team.

No, I don’t work at MAN. Yes, I am very aware of how things change behind the scenes, Funnily enough I do know what the company are up to at least some of the time.

Jonty
14th Feb 2023, 16:41

Not sure how they do that, looking back at my log book it’s about 6 hours each way to SID from MAN/BHX. So 12 hours of flying, plus 2 more of duty, and you’re at 14, which is the max with an extension.

Add in the low cost index, and no ACTs and there’s not a hope in hell they are going to make it there and back in one FDP. You need the low cost index because there are no ACTs.

excrab
14th Feb 2023, 17:24
CAA rules are often more stringent than EASA rules... infact many EASA documents were formed from CAA rules. However i digress...

Except, it would appear, the rules on Flight Time Limitations, as CAP371 allowed a longer duty day of just operating one sector, and alleviations (“Florida Variation”) or some such, to allow extended rostered duties with extra time off before and after. It would seem from the last couple of replies to my posts that these are no longer allowed under EASA, so lets hope it stays like that.

TUI are doing the return flights on the MAX from BRS, as I understand, so presumably that means slightly shorter flight times this fitting in with the current rules.

Yeehaw22
14th Feb 2023, 17:38
TUI are doing the return flights on the MAX from BRS, as I understand, so presumably that means slightly shorter flight times this fitting in with the current rules.

No they aren't. All SID/BVC on 738/MAX are crew change downroute. The 787 flights are (I believe) done there and back but with 3 FD crew.

Jonty
14th Feb 2023, 18:17
No they aren't. All SID/BVC on 738/MAX are crew change downroute. The 787 flights are (I believe) done there and back but with 3 FD crew.

And the 787 cruises at .85 compared to .75 for a 321.

Mr Mac
14th Feb 2023, 20:22
My own problem now with Jet 2 is that it is no longer an airline, more a holiday company, but with an airline strapped on. The reverse of how it started. It is very hard to book a flight with descent flight times without taking up their hotel option.

Cheers
Mr Mac

daz211
14th Feb 2023, 21:01
My own problem now with Jet 2 is that it is no longer an airline, more a holiday company, but with an airline strapped on. The reverse of how it started. It is very hard to book a flight with descent flight times without taking up their hotel option.

Cheers
Mr Mac
Very true, for an example MAN - ACE there was 5 out of 7 days you could not book flight only
this changed recently to 4 out of 7, I believe this is pushing people on to EZY and FR.
I understand they have hotels to sell, and it might work for them, BUT it could be a dangerous move to neglect their flight only customers many who fly multiple times year to and from their holiday homes.

LBAflyer22
14th Feb 2023, 21:01

Cheers
Mr Mac

That only started recently. For Summer 22 and into this Summer. I agree it's annoying for seat only customers and is quite off putting.

davidjohnson6
14th Feb 2023, 21:17
TUI do the same as Jet2

Bam Thwok
14th Feb 2023, 23:57

Cheers
Mr Mac

“The reverse of how it started”

That’s exactly why J2 have survived…. Without the holiday company J2.com would have been dead years ago ! It’s unlikely they would have made a 7 year birthday, let alone the 20 year anniversary just gone !

The “holiday company” have been the driving force for years now…. It dictates where and when it wants the “airline” to go, and has clearly driven the business to where it is today.
It’s not rocket science…. a package holiday yields a lot more £££ per seat than flight only and as it now occupies the majority of seats on every flight​​​​, they have “first dibs” on the seat availability.

Yes, flight only is still hugely important. But there is much more competition in that sector and the yield is minimal.
The clientele are much more fickle too and quite frankly, “loyalty” means bollox.

chaps1954
15th Feb 2023, 11:20
Big new training facility opened in Cheadle Heath for cockpit crewcabin crew, engineering staff and ground staff
Info care of The Business desk.

AirportPlanner1
15th Feb 2023, 11:32
It is very hard to book a flight with descent flight times without taking up their hotel option.

Is that right? I’ve never had a particular issue although admittedly I travel with them infrequently. It seems to me more a reflection of their destinations. Eg with the Canaries and Greek islands Ryanair, EZY often seem to have one of the inbound or outbound timed much earlier or later than I’d prefer.

davidjohnson6
15th Feb 2023, 11:41
If you visit TUI's websites (not just UK but other European countries as well), you will see many flights available either only on package holidays (ie not available as flight only) or being quoted at vastly inflated flight-only prices. I can think of other package-holiday-centric airlines in Europe which do this as well. Jet2 are definitely not the only ones doing this.

If you want a particular flight, you may need to wait until a fortnight before travel date when a firm has a better idea of how many seats will not be sold for package holidays and starts releasing the remainder for flight-only sale at realistic prices

The relationship between airline and paying passenger is a business relationship... and the airline aims to maximise profit.

Mr Mac
15th Feb 2023, 11:45
AirportPlanner1
I am not a regular flyer with them, and usually down to Majorca, my wife might do more, as often I come from work and Germany so use LH when going for a break. The thing which annoys is the fact that you get pushed to the very early or very late flights, which just feels a little unfair when you know they have so many flights to somewhere like Palma which is a regular hop in June for her and her friends, as we have a family house in Majorca which we get to use in June.

Cheers
Mr Mac

lfc84
15th Feb 2023, 11:45

Cheers
Mr Mac
IMO it is very hard to book flight only with descent prices

P330
15th Feb 2023, 13:48
Love Jet2 but I have to concur.

Flight only pricing in the school holidays is now crazily expensive. For example, a round trip to Malaga for one person is costing £500-£600. Those are not the prices of a lo-co, though I concede prices are higher everywhere. It is now significantly cheaper to fly with Ryanair (wish they opened their bookings earlier) or fly a scheduled carrier where that option exists.

I have a flight only booking later this year and have booked with TUI who were significantly cheaper than Jet 2.

They must be doing something right though and maybe focussing on the holiday brand is the way forward.

Travel Agent
15th Feb 2023, 18:09
Their Jet2holidays travel agent account managers have told us that many of the flights are now only bookable as a package and not available as seat only on Jet2.com

ZULUBOY
15th Feb 2023, 19:03
Going to Tenerife on Saturday with Jet2 from BHX. The only way to get the decent flight time was to book the package. The alternative flight would get us back to BHX late at night which wouldn't be great with young children. If another airline had a Saturday flight we'd not have used Jet2

GayFriendly
16th Feb 2023, 08:26
This discussion is taking me back to the days of the early noughties when I worked as a travel agent for a big, independent agency in London. It was often cheaper to book a flight + hotel deal for clients on amany ong haul routes than flight only - if the customer didn't want the hotel, well who were we to say they had to stay there?! We handled very few, if any short haul bookings so I'm not sure if it was the same for short haul

In terms of my local airport (BHX) flight only prices on some routes this summer are beyond eye watering. I have used Jet2 a lot in the past for flight only and I've always been impressed with their service. I hope that if they are in fact going to focus on package bookings at the expense of seat only, that FR and EZY up the ante at BHX on Med / holiday routes to give us DIY holidaymakers more seat only choice without having to head off to other airports to get a decent deal.

I do agree with a previous poster, if you have the luxury of being able to book within a couple of weeks then you can sometimes get flight only bargains on TUI and LS as they become aware that package bookings have drifted off I got a return flight BHX-FNC last May for around 90£ return booking 3 weeks before when previously it had been over £200. Neither flight was completely full.

inOban
16th Feb 2023, 09:24
AIR in thinking that only from LBA do they have a large flight-only market as FR have a limited presence?
FR and EZY tend to stick closely to S and W schedules eg neither commence flights to Palma from EDI until March 26, while jet2 start at the end of February so if you want a spring break...

flybar
16th Feb 2023, 14:07
I fly a number of times a year from LBA with Jet2 and never have any problems getting flight only tickets at a reasonable price.

davidjohnson6
16th Feb 2023, 14:15
I fly a number of times a year from LBA with Jet2 and never have any problems getting flight only tickets at a reasonable price.
School holidays, Half-term, July/August and Easter/Xmas at child-friendly times to child-friendly places might be a different story in the future as Jet2 is more able to make use of its dominant market position

Kevgti
16th Feb 2023, 19:43
School holidays, Half-term, July/August and Easter/Xmas at child-friendly times to child-friendly places might be a different story in the future as Jet2 is more able to make use of its dominant market position
Searching today for the flight for my Oct/Nov canaries break doesn't look quite as many flights are restricted to package holidays only compared to last year.

I want to get the longest possible break while using the least number of days of leave from work which means flying out Thursday or Friday and returning on a Monday or Tuesday. Last year I ended up flying with EZY as I needed to book my private rental accommodation and the LS flights weren't available. EZY were OK (and considerably better than FR) but nowhere near LS when it comes to check-in or onboard experience.

This year I can see that there is only 1 day per week which is package holiday only so perhaps they have learned that they need to reduce the number of package holiday only flights to prevent travellers from defecting to the competitors. I'd always book LS first even if it costs a few quid more, it's just a better experience and you know that they will do their best to get you there and back.

RA85684
16th Feb 2023, 21:31
With regards to Jet2 and Cape Verde and FTL’s etc.

I wonder if TUI manage to do there and backs on the 787 vs the 737’s due to achievable bunk rest? If one crew has 3 hours bunk rest outbound and the other 3 hours inbound (for example) perhaps the duty becomes legal?
Which begs the question, do the A330’s have bunks? Would Jet2 use A330’s down to Cape Verde which is a hell of a commitment. Might we even see an order come in for a dozen or so A339’s? I think Jet2 is definitely gaining the critical mass to justify such an order and getting into the long haul market by the end of the decade. Cancún, Orlando and winter cruise charters/New York Christmas shopping trips at least.

As an aside. A 400+ seat heavy lifter with low cost base (frame and operator) would be perfect for plugging the gap on LBA/MAN-ISB in my opinion. That does go against the holidays model but a reputable carrier with a decent service, low fares, people mover. Win win. Plus room to grow into GLA, BHX and STN. Keeps the aircraft busy year round.

Anyway, distracted. Another cost conscious option for Jet2 to serve Cape Verde could be split days of operation to minimise hotel nights for crews - based on an A321neo, 7 rooms for 7 nights down there isn’t going to be cost effective.

Example:
MAN - Mon/Fri
BHX - Tue
STN - Wed/Sat
So the beginning of the week would look like this…
Crew 1- MAN-BVC-BHX
Crew 2 - BHX-BVC-STN
Crew 3 - STN-BVC-MAN
1 night down route for MAN/BHX crews and 2 for STN

Looking forward to seeing the new Airbuses arrive and wonder whether Jet2 have anything else up their sleeves. A very exciting, dynamic and most of all, reliable operator. I wish them every continued success.

pamann
16th Feb 2023, 22:18
With regards to Jet2 and Cape Verde and FTL’s etc.

I wonder if TUI manage to do there and backs on the 787 vs the 737’s due to achievable bunk rest? If one crew has 3 hours bunk rest outbound and the other 3 hours inbound (for example) perhaps the duty becomes legal?
Which begs the question, do the A330’s have bunks? Would Jet2 use A330’s down to Cape Verde which is a hell of a commitment. Might we even see an order come in for a dozen or so A339’s? I think Jet2 is definitely gaining the critical mass to justify such an order and getting into the long haul market by the end of the decade. Cancún, Orlando and winter cruise charters/New York Christmas shopping trips at least.

As an aside. A 400+ seat heavy lifter with low cost base (frame and operator) would be perfect for plugging the gap on LBA/MAN-ISB in my opinion. That does go against the holidays model but a reputable carrier with a decent service, low fares, people mover. Win win. Plus room to grow into GLA, BHX and STN. Keeps the aircraft busy year round.

Anyway, distracted. Another cost conscious option for Jet2 to serve Cape Verde could be split days of operation to minimise hotel nights for crews - based on an A321neo, 7 rooms for 7 nights down there isn’t going to be cost effective.

Example:
MAN - Mon/Fri
BHX - Tue
STN - Wed/Sat
So the beginning of the week would look like this…
Crew 1- MAN-BVC-BHX
Crew 2 - BHX-BVC-STN
Crew 3 - STN-BVC-MAN
1 night down route for MAN/BHX crews and 2 for STN

Looking forward to seeing the new Airbuses arrive and wonder whether Jet2 have anything else up their sleeves. A very exciting, dynamic and most of all, reliable operator. I wish them every continued success.

Have you seriously suggested that Jet2 start flights to Islamabad?

Tui achieve both rotations on the 787 because it flies slightly faster than the 737/767. Nothing to do with having crew rest.

RA85684
16th Feb 2023, 22:53
We know there is a large, and growing market for UK-Pakistan and that market has been somewhat shafted with unreliable operations. Chopping and changing from the UK end - let’s face it, because there is lower hanging fruit for BA and Virgin - and with PIA’s ban.

I’m under no illusion that Pakistan would be a friendly market for Jet2 to operate in, but it wouldn’t be impossible.
IF Jet2 were to place an order for their own fleet of A330neo’s (or 787’s or A350’s, who knows - we’re thinking aloud here) then it would make sense to keep them active 12 months of the year.

The O&D market from Northern England to Pakistan would much prefer point to point, reliable flights.
Jet2 is a household name and could offer reasonably priced flights, and most likely fill an A339 x2 weekly out of LBA and x3 weekly out of MAN. Baggage charges alone would probably hit breakeven! It’s a long shot, but 15 years ago who’d have said they’d be flying 757’s to New York? 10 years ago who’d have seen Jet2 as the UK’s biggest tour operator? Even 5 years ago who’d have seen an order for 100 brand new Airbuses?
Never say never

Happy to be proven wrong but it sounds odd to me that TUI would rely on the slightly higher cruising speed of the 787 for operating there and back Cape Verde’s as opposed to the availability of crew rest. Interesting practice. I suppose the crew rest is there as a fallback if the **** hits the fan

AircraftOperations
17th Feb 2023, 10:13
We know there is a large, and growing market for UK-Pakistan and that market has been somewhat shafted with unreliable operations. Chopping and changing from the UK end - let’s face it, because there is lower hanging fruit for BA and Virgin - and with PIA’s ban. I’m under no illusion that Pakistan would be a friendly market for Jet2 to operate in, but it wouldn’t be impossible.IF Jet2 were to place an order for their own fleet of A330neo’s (or 787’s or A350’s, who knows - we’re thinking aloud here) then it would make sense to keep them active 12 months of the year. The O&D market from Northern England to Pakistan would much prefer point to point, reliable flights.Jet2 is a household name and could offer reasonably priced flights, and most likely fill an A339 x2 weekly out of LBA and x3 weekly out of MAN. Baggage charges alone would probably hit breakeven! It’s a long shot, but 15 years ago who’d have said they’d be flying 757’s to New York? 10 years ago who’d have seen Jet2 as the UK’s biggest tour operator? Even 5 years ago who’d have seen an order for 100 brand new Airbuses?Never say never Happy to be proven wrong but it sounds odd to me that TUI would rely on the slightly higher cruising speed of the 787 for operating there and back Cape Verde’s as opposed to the availability of crew rest. Interesting practice. I suppose the crew rest is there as a fallback if the **** hits the fan Firstly, my experience tells me that the vast majority of UK to India and Pakistan VFR traffic is more price-sensitive over paying more for point to point services. So Jet2 would be up against the MEB4 who have started to get more of a foothold in the market, with PIA's recent lack of UK operations.
Secondly, Jet2 might be approaching a "household name" for certain sectors in some regions of the UK for sun destination holidays, but is it with the India & Pakistan VFR market?

muggins
17th Feb 2023, 10:21
Secondly, Jet2 might be approaching a "household name" for certain sectors in some regions of the UK for sun destination holidays, but is it with the India & Pakistan VFR market?

I agree. There might also be an issue of perception, and possibly confusion with Jet Airways, an Indian airline.

Smudge's Lot
17th Feb 2023, 14:31
At TUI, the SID flights this winter have been 3 pilots due to FTL issues in the past. On the LGW-SID flights, it is mandatory for the Pilots to achieve 2 hours rest and the CC 90 mins rest over the total duty(not each way)
Even at M0.85 cruise its a blooming long day

Derry321
17th Feb 2023, 14:55
Was speaking to one of the Jet2 Holidays Travel Trade account managers yesterday - seemed surprised when I mentioned Cape Verde and said she had heard nothing, and the trade team and product team are in the same area within the office, so she would have heard rumours.
Also worth noting that a large number of hotels on the islands are either owned by, partly owned by (RIU) or on exclusivity contracts to TUI so bed stock may be an issue

anthbower1234
17th Feb 2023, 16:25
Sharm El Sheikh again mabye (Hopefully!) Limited to Tui from the Midlands.

crewmeal
18th Feb 2023, 07:50
How come Jet2 don't fly to Egypt?

anthbower1234
18th Feb 2023, 12:57
Pulled out in Feb 2011 due to the political unrest. Such a pain they havnt gone back to SSH as can only use TUI from EMA and would much rather have the Jet2 product than the basic options on board with TUI.

pabely
18th Feb 2023, 15:55
Pulled out in Feb 2011 due to the political unrest. Such a pain they havnt gone back to SSH as can only use TUI from EMA and would much rather have the Jet2 product than the basic options on board with TUI.
Lots of other ways to get to SSH, although TUI with RUI do block book the best hotels I know alot who go via Istanbul and book the hotel direct. If I go with TUI it is only a means to get from A to B, I hardly interact with local reps at all and book my own local transfer at a fraction of the cost. The holiday for me is the Hotel & resort. Not the airline but I do use full board only hotels now and no longer travel with kids. Not as if Egypt is great for kids anyhow. It is far too hot in summer.
The last time we took kids I remember the local pool guys/entertainment team saying in June- August they did nothing between 11-3 as everyone was back in room avoiding sun!
This probably puts off Jet2 holidays.

Cuillin Hills
18th Feb 2023, 17:58
………. and in Sharm or Hurghada you get to make friends with the friendly Russian family on the next sunbed - no thanks!

Cazza_fly
18th Feb 2023, 18:12
………. and in Sharm or Hurghada you get to make friends with the friendly Russian family on the next sunbed - no thanks!

Care to explain more?

davidjohnson6
18th Feb 2023, 18:21
There are a large number of Russians in areas around Antalya, Sharm and Hurghada - this is noticeable by both the visual advertising targetted at tourists, and also the language you hear spoken in tourist areas. I have not noticed any particular hostility between British and Russian tourists in these places in the last 12 months.

LBAflyer22
18th Feb 2023, 19:07

There humans just like the rest of us. If you got to know then you’d probably learn a little and understand that most are nice. I mean unless you listen to the mafia media.

Personally having been to Egypt/Sharm the Egyptians love British. There was a number of Russians about but you ignore them… if that’s your thing. I’d go there for winter sun over canaries any day of the week.

There’s never been hostility between Russians and English. If you don’t want to go because of Russian presence don’t … but plenty of people will, and there’s certainly a gap in the market for Jet2/holidays.

Cazza_fly
18th Feb 2023, 19:09
There are a large number of Russians in areas around Antalya, Sharm and Hurghada - this is noticeable by both the visual advertising targetted at tourists, and also the language you hear spoken in tourist areas. I have not noticed any particular hostility between British and Russian tourists in these places in the last 12 months.

And why should there be !!? It seems someone above is well and truly indoctrinated by the mainstream... Probably still believes the Russians blew up the Nord Stream pipeline when the warmongering Americans have even admitted it.

Cazza_fly
18th Feb 2023, 19:12
There humans just like the rest of us. If you got to know then you’d probably learn a little and understand that most are nice. I mean unless you listen to the mafia media
There’s never been hostility between Russians and English.

Nail on the head!

I think its incredibly offensive and damn right sad at what it seems they were insinuating. Maybe take a few minutes away from your TV screen Cuillin Hills !

pabely
18th Feb 2023, 20:06
With 22 flights into IST tomorrow and 5 into SSH from Russian airports, I know where you are more likely to bump into such friends. Oh by the way, Jet2 have a sizable program to Turkey, enjoy!

Mr Mac
18th Feb 2023, 21:02
Cassandra Fly / LBA flyer22
I would have to disagree with your comments re Russian on leave. I have done business in the past in Russia and bumped into them around the planet on holiday, and while away on business, and yes there are a few nice ones out of those encounters, but unfortunately they were the exceptions. They are up there with Nigerians as being some of the most bigoted raciest people I ever had the misfortune to interact with. So no I would not to go somewhere where they are in large numbers. They are not well liked in Egypt, Thailand, either by locals.

Cheers
Mr Mac

BA318
19th Feb 2023, 06:20
And why should there be !!? It seems someone above is well and truly indoctrinated by the mainstream... Probably still believes the Russians blew up the Nord Stream pipeline when the warmongering Americans have even admitted it.

You might want to look up who is invading Ukraine. Hint it isn’t the Americans…

SWBKCB
19th Feb 2023, 06:46
Does anybody really think it has any impact on Jet2's decision to operate there or not? Can we move on to another destination Jet2 don't fly to and discuss why they should/shouldn't? :rolleyes:

simoncorbett
19th Feb 2023, 06:55
La Palma SPC ? In canary isles

Cazza_fly
19th Feb 2023, 07:30
You might want to look up who is invading Ukraine. Hint it isn’t the Americans…

Perfect response to ignore the main issue by an indoctrinate. You keep watching that TV like a good little citizen... and by god, if you come in to contact with a Russian, be sure to run like the wind because they are all clearly evil in your mind.

chaps1954
19th Feb 2023, 07:45
It is like most countries there are nice and horrible people its upto to you who you talk to and have dealings with just be careful I watch the news and a lot of other stuff from many countries which
I believe is upto your own choice but I know a few Russians and Ukrainians but both seem to say the same get Putin out and then they can get back to life as usual

Cazza_fly
19th Feb 2023, 07:51
Does anybody really think it has any impact on Jet2's decision to operate there or not? Can we move on to another destination Jet2 don't fly to and discuss why they should/shouldn't? :rolleyes:

Back to the discussion on Cape Verde as a future destination... I am really unsure what the big fuss about crew nightstopping overseas would be. I know it adds cost and complexity, but Jet2s cost basis is no longer just that of running a low cost airline model. Their main business is now the inclusive tour market and their inhouse Jet2Holidays operation. If they know that theres demand and its worth the costs, they will absolute commit to the market. The main reason right now will be though, (as someone else has well pointed out) will be the lack of room capacity. The majority of room capacity really is held by the TUI group. There are many new hotels and apartments being built there right now though. So over the next couple of years this may help change the dynamics a little more. Additionally, if demand begins to drop over the current "recession", then it will either make the likes of TUI drop capacity on block booking hotel rooms, thus lowering prices for a competitors to buy into and hopefully to potentially step in. This has historically happened in other markets for Jet2... a case of getting in just at the right time.

FRatSTN
19th Feb 2023, 09:31
I know it adds cost and complexity, but Jet2s cost basis is no longer just that of running a low cost airline model.

The airline component still very much is. For the likes of Thomas Cook, even TUI to some extent the airline has always just been a means of supplying the holiday business really. Similar in a way to how short-haul feeds the higher yielding long-haul for full service carriers.

In Jet2's case, despite some of the comments above, I don't agree even now that's the case. They still have a very economical, cost conscious and reputable airline operation. Yes it's more tailored to the package holiday clientele, but the airline itself is still very much a focus of the whole product.

SamYeager
19th Feb 2023, 13:19
Back to the discussion on Cape Verde as a future destination... I am really unsure what the big fuss about crew nightstopping overseas would be. I know it adds cost and complexity, but Jet2s cost basis is no longer just that of running a low cost airline model.
TBF I'm really unsure why there's such a push by some on here for Jet2 to go to Cape Verde in the first place. In the end it's going to come down to whether they can make money more easily by either going to other places or increasing frequencies to existing destinations rather than changing their mode of operation just to go to one destination with increased complexity.

Jamesair1
19th Feb 2023, 14:28
Will Jet 2 return to the successful series of New York flights they used to operate from various airports pre pandemic and which aircraft would they use?

Mr Mac
19th Feb 2023, 17:37
I think Cape Verde is perhaps a step too far. I have been there to fish a couple of times with TAP, but it really is otherwise a drop and flop place with little else apart from climate. The fishing is great at certain times of the year but I am not sure if I were Jet 2 .

Cheers
MrvMac

Buster the Bear
19th Feb 2023, 20:49
Expansion will come from opening new bases and linking that to their existing destinations? If slots become available with the new/old Gatwick runway, I would expect Jet2 would look to make a base there.

GSM763
22nd Feb 2023, 13:04
Will Jet 2 return to the successful series of New York flights they used to operate from various airports pre pandemic and which aircraft would they use?

A lot of the marketing for those was based around Christmas shopping, with the pound at $1.20 that probably works less well right now.

daz211
22nd Feb 2023, 14:03
A lot of the marketing for those was based around Christmas shopping, with the pound at $1.20 that probably works less well right now.
Yes the Pound to Dollar is not at its best, but that wouldn’t stop people from a Christmas shopping trip to JFK from STN, BHX and MAN.

rog747
23rd Feb 2023, 09:22
The JFK's may return - plus depends on what fleet they have too > 757/330?

Jet2 are in no hurry to return to Egypt which since 2011 onwards have seen constant security and political issues (then the Metrojet A321 bombing out of SSH)
Egypt was pivotal in Monarch's demise in 2017 and they were huge players to all of the Egyptian tourist airports for many years, and Monarch reaped well from that charter business until the troubles.

Jet2 will not get their fingers burned, and they concentrate more on the Greek, Spanish and Canary Islands, plus Madeira as their mainstays.
They have added Olbia and Tivat for 2023.
La Palma (SPC) is a pretty place but not a very mass-market island; TUI and Condor make up most of the charter flights there - Popular with the Germans and Dutch.
Banjul is not on the radar.

Cape Verde see TUI having it all sewn up there, and so I doubt Jet2 Holidays will jet forth anytime soon.
The operation to these islands pushes the 737NG's performance, and the ideal 757 is ending its days.
The new A321N's may see this alter but Jet2 is, and has always been a 'there and back' airline (well for now)
The first two NEOs comes in April G-SUNB/SUND

Likewise sticking with being consciously conservative, they did not go for the purchase of the 737-MAX and have stayed with the 737NG, and bought many of the last production 737-800's.

Mr @ Spotty M
23rd Feb 2023, 16:48
Its looking like the passengers on the new aircraft from airbus are going to have a uncomfortable ride.
They have fixed backs and are lightweight, l have yet to find a comfortable light weight seat.
They normally have very little padding and its like sitting on an airport seat, with you know what ends up numb after an hour or so.
I do hope l am wrong and they don't regret buying them.

BA318
23rd Feb 2023, 17:12
Its looking like the passengers on the new aircraft from airbus are going to have a uncomfortable ride.
They have fixed backs and are lightweight, l have yet to find a comfortable light weight seat.
They normally have very little padding and its like sitting on an airport seat, with you know what ends up numb after an hour or so.

They won’t regret it because everyone has them. If there’s not an alternative then it’s not an issue. Unless you plan to drive to Greece or Spain. No airline is going to go for heavier or bulkier seats if there’s a lighter option that allows more revenue.

Oceanic815
23rd Feb 2023, 17:52
Jet2 have had the lightweight, fixed back, Acro seats for at least the last 10 years. It is just the latest version that will be installed on the new aircraft. They are surprising comfortable, easy to keep clean, and provide much better legroom than conventional seats. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!

Kevgti
23rd Feb 2023, 19:47
They won’t regret it because everyone has them. If there’s not an alternative then it’s not an issue. Unless you plan to drive to Greece or Spain. No airline is going to go for heavier or bulkier seats if there’s a lighter option that allows more revenue.
Lighter seats won't increase revenue (sales), but may reduce costs. I don't see much difference as they already use Acro seats on the existing fleet. Overall I prefer the extra legroom the Acro seats offer compared to the Recaro seats on EZY and don't see much difference in comfort on an EDI to ACE flight.

garry8g
23rd Feb 2023, 21:17
The first of the 2nd hand B737-800's has arrived at Leeds this afternoon.

G-JZBU (ex SAS LN-RRE) landed at 2:51 pm.

buzz_hornet
23rd Feb 2023, 21:52
Jet2 heading to LDY in the morning. Anyone know the reason?

LS6494

irishlad06
23rd Feb 2023, 23:21
Jet2 heading to LDY in the morning. Anyone know the reason?

LS6494

charter flight

Skipness One Foxtrot
24th Feb 2023, 16:49
The first of the 2nd hand B737-800's has arrived at Leeds this afternoon.

G-JZBU (ex SAS LN-RRE) landed at 2:51 pm.
How many more B737s are coming as they move towards an Airbus fleet?

SWBKCB
24th Feb 2023, 16:52
How many more B737s are coming as they move towards an Airbus fleet?

According to Jethro's - 5 more after 'BU

BHX5DME
24th Feb 2023, 17:01
https://www.jet2.com/news/2023/02/Jet2_com_and_Jet2holidays_announce_another_huge_expansion_fo r_early_Summer_23

OzzyOzBorn
24th Feb 2023, 19:10
10,000 extra seats (presumably out + back) represents approximately 53 extra departures in total (based on B738-sized aircraft) spread across five bases and several routes. Doesn't appear to be a particularly significant adjustment?

pabely
24th Feb 2023, 20:01
Just make use of the ex SAS 737 between March & May? As you say hardly a massive uplift.

VickersVicount
24th Feb 2023, 20:41
I think they forgot the term ‘as hard as an ironing board’ 5hr bum-ache. At least no recline dilemma.

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/jet2-seat-deal-will-improve-efficiency-and-customer-comfort

GrahamK
25th Feb 2023, 06:10
https://www.jet2.com/news/2023/02/Jet2_com_and_Jet2holidays_announce_another_huge_expansion_fo r_early_Summer_23

In your title, most should be replaced with half. And why single out MAN?

chaps1954
25th Feb 2023, 08:43
I suspect there may well be a separate announcement for MAN

mmeteesside
25th Feb 2023, 19:29
Probably just a few extra flights that run across the summer starting a week or two earlier than planned. Nothing major but good growth at least!

MANFOD
25th Feb 2023, 20:42

I would like to think you are right but why not include MAN with the other 5 airports if a few extra flights are planned?
So far, Jet2, rather like Ryanair, have been quiet about any further expansion at MAN this summer.

redED
25th Feb 2023, 20:50
10,000 extra seats (presumably out + back) represents approximately 53 extra departures in total (based on B738-sized aircraft) spread across five bases and several routes. Doesn't appear to be a particularly significant adjustment?

Does it actually equate to extra seats flown or rather extra package holiday seats sold? So more seats have been designated to the package holiday side of the operation rather than flight only. Not meaning to start that argument up again though 😴

Oceanic815
26th Feb 2023, 06:25
I doubt there will be any significant expeansion at MAN this Summer. Due to the second pier construction beginning, there will be fewer stands available than last year. No more aircraft means larger aircraft required for seat expansion. But they already have 3xA330, all 8x757s and A321s; i.e. all the large aircraft that Jet2 operate. Never say never, but I think it unlikely.

garry8g
26th Feb 2023, 09:41
According to Planespotters, there will be 3 B737-800 leased/due from AirExplore this summer season.

pabely
26th Feb 2023, 14:20
According to Planespotters, there will be 3 B737-800 leased/due from AirExplore this summer season.
And two from SmartLynx according to Jethros.

Flying Hi
26th Feb 2023, 14:34
And two from SmartLynx according to Jethros.
SmartWINGS not SmartLYNX.

pabely
26th Feb 2023, 14:58
SmartWINGS not SmartLYNX.
Yes, sorry, autofill. Slovakia, Lativa, Moldova, Lithuania.
Have a German friend fly with this outfit, not impressed. Lets hope they work out for Jet2.

Rivet Joint
27th Feb 2023, 14:01
I see they are getting a load more 800s. Will this finally mean they will get rid of the 300s and 757s? Bit odd to have these tired old sub fleets when 800s must be easy to get hold off nowadays.

SWBKCB
27th Feb 2023, 14:21
I think it's six more 738's. And it's the tired old "paid for" sub fleets.... :ok:

chaps1954
27th Feb 2023, 14:51
replacing the 757 with 738s would cause a big problem at moment as they are used for most of Canary Islands flights ex MAN due to not enough A321neo deliveries this summer.

Kevgti
27th Feb 2023, 17:15
I see they are getting a load more 800s. Will this finally mean they will get rid of the 300s and 757s? Bit odd to have these tired old sub fleets when 800s must be easy to get hold off nowadays.
Don't see how 6 x 738's can replace the capacity of 7 x 733s and 8 x 757s.

Rivet Joint
27th Feb 2023, 21:35
Don't see how 6 x 738's can replace the capacity of 7 x 733s and 8 x 757s.

Could at least get rid of 733s. Can’t think of another airline in Europe still using those. Paid off or not it’s not really acceptable flying those still in 2023. The 757 is a great plane but they must be operating the oldest ones still in commercial service outside freighters. Again not really acceptable is it.

Albert Hall
27th Feb 2023, 21:50
What a load of twaddle. The interiors of the aircraft have been upgraded and kept in good condition and if they’re operating reliably, there is no reason to wish them away to the scrap yard.

Several BA 777-200s and the TUI 767s are older than many of the Jet2 737-300s but you don’t hear the same nonsense about pensioning off a raft of BA 777s.

P330
28th Feb 2023, 06:18
Could at least get rid of 733s. Can’t think of another airline in Europe still using those. Paid off or not it’s not really acceptable flying those still in 2023. The 757 is a great plane but they must be operating the oldest ones still in commercial service outside freighters. Again not really acceptable is it.

Acceptable to who?

The public don’t notice and don’t care unless they’re so unreliable and disruptive which they’re not. Inside, which the public do notice, is pristine.

To aviation nerds? I suspect most like variety.

To Jet2? Clearly they are as they keep using them.

To the industry? Well Jet2 repeatedly keep winning awards as ‘the best’, including winning the top Which award yesterday.

So, can you let us know which interested parties this is unacceptable to as I am struggling to think of any.

ATNotts
28th Feb 2023, 06:51
Acceptable to who?

The public don’t notice and don’t care unless they’re so unreliable and disruptive which they’re not. Inside, which the public do notice, is pristine.

To the industry? Well Jet2 repeatedly keep winning awards as ‘the best’, including winning the top Which award yesterday.

So, can you let us know which interested parties this is unacceptable to as I am struggling to think of any.
I too am struggling to understand why a properly maintained older airframe needs to be retired if it continues to provide reliable service to customers, and just as importantly contributes positively to the company bottom line.

The obvious downside is the fuel efficiency of order generation technology but clearly Jet2 management know better than posters on an Internet forum!

chaps1954
28th Feb 2023, 07:26
Again the whole fleet is based at one station so maintenance is easier and have proved a very good aircraft from smaller/higher/cross wind runways i:e Leeds

True Blue
28th Feb 2023, 08:16
I was on a 21 year old -800 a few days ago and it was like new inside.

Skipness One Foxtrot
28th Feb 2023, 08:56
BA's oldest B777 is now 26 years old and their oldest A319 is now 23 years, which is high for that ilk. Both BA and LS have good in house Engineering, it's all about the TLC and consistency of care. Even Ryanair have 19 year old B73Hs and easyJet have 18 year old A319s.

chaps1954
28th Feb 2023, 10:12
Years fly when you are enjoying yourself Skip, no pun intended

RA85684
28th Feb 2023, 12:23
Keep the old birds earning their keep as long as possible, I say!

ericlday
28th Feb 2023, 12:56
Keep the old birds earning their keep as long as possible, I say!
and the planes as well......

Rivet Joint
28th Feb 2023, 23:37
Acceptable to who?

How about noise? Pollution? Fuel consumption? Are you still using electronics such as computers in your house that are 30 years old? Just because they are paid off and a cheap way to plug some gaps doesn’t mean they should be kept long past their sell by date at the expense of the environment.

Yes other airlines like BA are using aircraft they shouldn’t be but it’s not really comparable. A wide body is much more expensive and they would need to be replaced by the latest models that are harder to get your hands on. We are talking about picking up some 737-800s that are 10 a penny at the moment and probably dirt cheap to buy or lease.

I personally think the CAA should ban the use of aircraft older than 30 years from operating in this country’s skies. The DVLA should do the same for cars. Before anyone thinks that’s an extreme view genuinely ask yourself whether it would be conceivable for you to be using a 30 year old computer, TV, mobile etc. Tech that old is not acceptable.

dc9-32
1st Mar 2023, 05:07
whether it would be conceivable for you to be using a 30 year old computer, TV, mobile etc. Tech that old is not acceptable.

My hi-fi is over 30 years old and nothing comes close to the sound quality that is available today.

BA318
1st Mar 2023, 05:57
How about noise? Pollution? Fuel consumption? Are you still using electronics such as computers in your house that are 30 years old? Just because they are paid off and a cheap way to plug some gaps doesn’t mean they should be kept long past their sell by date at the expense of the environment.

Yes other airlines like BA are using aircraft they shouldn’t be but it’s not really comparable. A wide body is much more expensive and they would need to be replaced by the latest models that are harder to get your hands on. We are talking about picking up some 737-800s that are 10 a penny at the moment and probably dirt cheap to buy or lease.

I personally think the CAA should ban the use of aircraft older than 30 years from operating in this country’s skies. The DVLA should do the same for cars. Before anyone thinks that’s an extreme view genuinely ask yourself whether it would be conceivable for you to be using a 30 year old computer, TV, mobile etc. Tech that old is not acceptable.

How did you decide that 30 is the magic age the planes become obsolete and dangerous? Why not 20? Or 15?

There are regulations about much of what you are complaining about and these aircraft still safely meet the requirements and are well maintained. If you believe otherwise contact the CAA and let them investigate.

SWBKCB
1st Mar 2023, 07:00
I personally think the CAA should ban the use of aircraft older than 30 years from operating in this country’s skies.

The ancient implement the spade is clearly still effective well past your 30 years threshold, better put it down now.

It'll give you time to go away and think of which other professional groups you want to insult the integrity of.

And on your environmental 'argument' - how is scrapping something which is perfectly functional and replacing it with something newer a benefit? The biggest impact is building the thing

chaps1954
1st Mar 2023, 07:04
Nothing to replace 757 or 733 except what Jet2 have on order and even then 733 has a niche which 738 is too big for.

dc9-32
1st Mar 2023, 07:15
Maybe tell the Canadian's to scrap their B737-200's too whilst at it.....

My 2 MGB's are 50 years old are far more reliable than some of the modern cars available today. All mechanical and no fancy electronics to worry about.

ATNotts
1st Mar 2023, 07:35

You make an argument for withdrawing older aircraft on environmental grounds, but how much is the environmental cost of scrapping and then building a replacement? Computers are totally different to a piece of machinery such as an airframe surely? I don't believe for example that a 30 year old aircraft would have the same avionics kit, same engines etc. throughout its operational life. They are consumables and must to some extent be capable of updating so the age of the airframe itself isn't the whole story. Noise pollution is certainly a more valid argument, but I for one can't tell that much difference between the noise levels of, for example a 737-800 and and 737-MAX - perhaps its down to my "cloth ears". Is a 737-300 really that much noisier than a 737-800? If it was significantly noisier than more current technology then I would be surprised if legislation were not introduced to severely restrict their us, but so far as I am aware it hasn't so far.

chaps1954
1st Mar 2023, 10:23
Now if it were a 1-11, 732, 727, DC-9 or MD-80 the noise is very evident but even they could have modern technology and vey low hours flown

MDS
1st Mar 2023, 11:06

I suppose you'll lose your mind when you realise a large number of GA aircraft are 50+ years old. Working wonderfully I might add.

chaps1954
1st Mar 2023, 11:25
I have a freezer in the cellar that is probably 30 years old and it has outlasted the later ones(2) and still works perfectly should I go and throw it away and buy anther one

Jonty
1st Mar 2023, 14:35
I suppose you'll lose your mind when you realise a large number of GA aircraft are 50+ years old. Working wonderfully I might add.

I think he’s just kissed good bye to the entire historic war bird collection. May as well close Duxford and the Shuttleworth collection right now!

SamuelDonuts
1st Mar 2023, 14:59
Had the delight of following a 37 year old Sierra Cosworth RS yesterday - it was in superb nick, sounded brilliant and the guy driving it was looking very proud. Rather than upgrade constantly and have a never-ending cycle of production leading to scrap, at greater cost each time, just use it until it genuinely won't be usable anymore.

Our engineers are some of the best - the planes cosmetically are superb especially compared to other carriers with aircraft of a similar age, and yes the older aircraft are less efficient and have higher fuel bias, but might as well keep them going until they are genuinely not airworthy.

davidjohnson6
1st Mar 2023, 15:34
To be fair, there is some (note the word some, not absolute) merit in RivetJoint's argument about the age of an aircraft. There's a difference between what one person decides to put in their cellar to store frozen peas, and what somebody else uses to carry passengers who don't have access to reliability info.
In 2018-19 I was in Zaporizhzhia in eastern Ukraine - the main airline at the airport were flying mainly 40 to 50 years old An-24 and Yak-40 aircraft. The aircraft worked OK... but it seemed rather unusual when other airlines in Ukraine seemed capable of using more modern aircraft.
Requiring 20 year old 738s be automatically scrapped is very much unnecessary, and I have no reason to believe Jet2's engineering is anything less than impeccable, but at some point, grandfathering and allowing aircraft to be used ad infinitum should not be possible without a special case being made for an exception. Yes, you can install very new bits of electronics in the aircraft to keep up with current regulations... but there should be a limit to this. That said, things like fuel economy, aircraft reliability, cost of maintenance and noise regulations do much, but not all, of the work in achieving this aim.
If an airline wants to use DC-3s to fly passengers for special heritage tours with a modified regime of extra attention being paid to reliability that's fine.... but using a DC-3 to fly London to Malaga (however well maintained they may be) as a matter of routine should not be possible without very good reason.

SWBKCB
1st Mar 2023, 15:53
what somebody else uses to carry passengers who don't have access to reliability info.

What has that got to do with Jet2 and their fleet? We aren't talking about 'heritage' flights, we are talking about a major airline operating within a regime overseen by a leading airworthiness authority.

Passengers do have access to reliability information - they know that they've been maintained by licensed professionals within a regime of tried and tested maintenance practices.

And as for the comparison to tech like computers, phones - slightly different stages in the development cycle :rolleyes:

BA318
1st Mar 2023, 17:41
To be fair, there is some (note the word some, not absolute) merit in RivetJoint's argument about the age of an aircraft. There's a difference between what one person decides to put in their cellar to store frozen peas, and what somebody else uses to carry passengers who don't have access to reliability info.
In 2018-19 I was in Zaporizhzhia in eastern Ukraine - the main airline at the airport were flying mainly 40 to 50 years old An-24 and Yak-40 aircraft. The aircraft worked OK... but it seemed rather unusual when other airlines in Ukraine seemed capable of using more modern aircraft.
Requiring 20 year old 738s be automatically scrapped is very much unnecessary, and I have no reason to believe Jet2's engineering is anything less than impeccable, but at some point, grandfathering and allowing aircraft to be used ad infinitum should not be possible without a special case being made for an exception. Yes, you can install very new bits of electronics in the aircraft to keep up with current regulations... but there should be a limit to this. That said, things like fuel economy, aircraft reliability, cost of maintenance and noise regulations do much, but not all, of the work in achieving this aim.
If an airline wants to use DC-3s to fly passengers for special heritage tours with a modified regime of extra attention being paid to reliability that's fine.... but using a DC-3 to fly London to Malaga (however well maintained they may be) as a matter of routine should not be possible without very good reason.

Why? Providing the aircraft meets the regulatory requirements whats the problem. The public can research and find the info if it bothers them. The pricing regime already means most airlines will look to operate modern, efficient fleets without arbitrary bans.

Such bans end up affecting niche operators. Think Skybus (average age 42) and the Canadian operators still flying older models where it is difficult to find a newer aircraft that can operate in such conditions and still allow profitability.

garry8g
2nd Mar 2023, 07:27
The second of the 2nd hand B737-800's due to Jet2 this year, is due into Leeds this afternoon.

G-JZBT (ex SAS LN-RRH) is due to depart Oslo at 12:14 pm today.

xanda_man
2nd Mar 2023, 08:58
The DVLA should do the same for cars. Before anyone thinks that’s an extreme view genuinely ask yourself whether it would be conceivable for you to be using a 30 year old computer, TV, mobile etc. Tech that old is not acceptable.

My 31 year old "Classic" Mini has just passed it's MOT and met the required emissions standards as set by the DVSA. Your point is completely invalid.

This thread has gone off on a right tangent.

G-AZUK
2nd Mar 2023, 09:22
What a load of old nonsense about the 300's. They serve a purpose and clearly still have life in them.

Interestingly some of the -300's are actually newer than their oldest -800 so go figure
G-GDFD B738 YOM 1998
G-GDFM B733 YOM 1999

Bradley Hardacre
2nd Mar 2023, 19:19
There are plenty of 30 year old plus class 08, 37, 43, 47 diesel engines working all over Network Rail, some older than 60 years, and don't get me started on the60 year old C 135, KC 135, RC 135s. Who would pick a user name like Rivet Joint and complain about ancient airframes?

pabely
2nd Mar 2023, 19:50
Well the next 737-8 arrived today, LN-RRH. 13 years young.

Mr A Tis
3rd Mar 2023, 08:04
I recently flew on a 16 year old Thai B777 and it looked every bit that old, a bit tired, but I also flew on a 23 year old B738 of Jet2 last week & you would think it was almost brand new. Looking forward to flying soon on a 30+year old B757 of theirs. It is obvious their fleet has lots of TLC and reliability has not been affected by age.

SealinkBF
3rd Mar 2023, 08:51
Jet2 takes baggage handling in-house at Bristol and Newcastle airports | Travel Weekly (https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/jet2-takes-baggage-handling-in-house-at-bristol-and-newcastle-airports)

Rivet Joint
3rd Mar 2023, 13:45
You make an argument for withdrawing older aircraft on environmental grounds, but how much is the environmental cost of scrapping and then building a replacement? Computers are totally different to a piece of machinery such as an airframe surely? I don't believe for example that a 30 year old aircraft would have the same avionics kit, same engines etc. throughout its operational life. They are consumables and must to some extent be capable of updating so the age of the airframe itself isn't the whole story. Noise pollution is certainly a more valid argument, but I for one can't tell that much difference between the noise levels of, for example a 737-800 and and 737-MAX - perhaps its down to my "cloth ears". Is a 737-300 really that much noisier than a 737-800? If it was significantly noisier than more current technology then I would be surprised if legislation were not introduced to severely restrict their us, but so far as I am aware it hasn't so far.

I think people are just arguing for the sake of arguing now. A complex aircraft is not comparable to a spade or hi-fi is it? Also, does the spade or hi-fi affect as many people as an aircraft does every day on numerous landings and take offs and of course flying over thousands of miles.

Does 30 years not seem like a good compromise for a car or aircraft? It seems to be the age most aircraft get scrapped so there must be some logic to it. Yes some new items such as electric cars have a huge environmental footprint before they have even been delivered but we don’t have electric planes yet and that’s certainly not relevant to the point I was making. There have been 2 evolutions since the 300s and 800s can be picked up dirt cheap and is the overwhelmingly their biggest fleet. Fleet commonality anyone? 200s might be used in Canada but that’s because they operate from gravel strips and their engines aren’t as close to the ground. It’s still ridiculous but at least there is a proper reason to justify it. Jet2 are only keeping the 300s around as they are paid off and cheap. My personal view is they should be removed from the fleet immediately along with the 757s.