PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle-9

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

PintofDoom
14th Jul 2020, 13:53
So no way of knowing in advance. I wouldn't want my case full of expensive camera equipment, laptop etc being put in the hold.
You'd probably be alright but check the conditions of your ticket. And get to the gate early.

ash666
14th Jul 2020, 15:35
And get to the gate early.

I've seen them taken off people at the boarding gate before. Without knowing for sure I couldn't risk it.
Is NCL at the bottom of the heap again, this time for the type of aircraft serving us?
When they start up 3 flights soon 2 are Embraer 190s and 1 is an Embraer 175.

I wonder if my KLM/AF Platinum status would make any difference? I asked KLM a couple of days ago but still no answer, though I can understand they are very busy at the moment.
(My voucher refund will take months, they said a few days ago).

SWBKCB
14th Jul 2020, 16:50
Is NCL at the bottom of the heap again, this time for the type of aircraft serving us?
When they start up 3 flights soon 2 are Embraer 190s and 1 is an Embraer 175.

Three flights a day - bottom of the pile? The summer schedule is usually operated mainly by EMB's :ugh:

Asturias56
14th Jul 2020, 17:00
2s NCL at the bottom of the heap again, this time for the type of aircraft serving us?"

just be thankful you've got any flights at all - some routes and maybe some airports are going to disappear for good

ash666
14th Jul 2020, 17:25
Three flights a day - bottom of the pile? The summer schedule is usually operated mainly by EMB's :ugh:

So most flights are operated by aircraft that may or may not allow cabin baggage in the cabin.
Sums it up.

SWBKCB
14th Jul 2020, 17:31
So most flights are operated by aircraft that may or may not allow cabin baggage in the cabin.
Sums it up.

KLC have a fleet of 49 A/C flying to 60 odd destinations - hardly a NCL issue.

ash666
14th Jul 2020, 18:02
KLC have a fleet of 49 A/C flying to 60 odd destinations - hardly a NCL issue.

That seems to me they operate according to what's most economical for them (I know, that's business) but with little regard for the passengers.
However, I have found an alternative. Go to Edinburgh.
They use 737s and for a return flight in a week or two's time it costs £106 Vs NCL's £165.
I can even get a free train to EDI.

VentureGo
14th Jul 2020, 18:56
Just checked KLM website and see their are a mixed fleet of 175's, 190's, 737-700's and 737-800 operating up to 4 flights per day from late October.

Sunday 25th October shows mix of Boeing 737-700 and 737-800 operating all 4 flights from Newcastle,

https://www.klm.co.uk/search/offers?pax=1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0&cabinClass=ECONOMY&activeConnection=0&connections=NCL:A:20201025%3EAMS:A-AMS:A%3ENCL:A

ash666
14th Jul 2020, 19:03
Just checked KLM website and see their are a mixed fleet of 175's, 190's, 737-700's and 737-800 operating up to 4 flights per day from late October.

Sunday 25th October shows mix of Boeing 737-700 and 737-800 operating all 4 flights from Newcastle,

https://www.klm.co.uk/search/offers?pax=1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0&cabinClass=ECONOMY&activeConnection=0&connections=NCL:A:20201025%3EAMS:A-AMS:A%3ENCL:A

That's more like I remember and much better for when I do long haul.

fl dutchman
14th Jul 2020, 19:08
It is normal on the NCL-AMS to have a mix if 737-7/737-8/E-175/E-190s. (Mainly 737-8 and 737-7 depending on season).

However times are Not Normal. Maybe one day soon they will be.

Im sure they will allow your hand baggage at NCL assuming its within the size and weight limitations.

ash666
14th Jul 2020, 19:16
I would like to trust to that but I've seen too many people before having to hand over their wheeled cabin bags and they weren't that big.
I've only just seen that pax have to fill in a return UK arrivals form 48 hours before returning.
I bet a lot of people don't know to do that after they released the list of no quarantine countries.

SWBKCB
14th Jul 2020, 19:26
For as long as I can remember KLM has been scheduled as Mainline in winter and Cityhopper during the summer, though they frequently flex due to demand.

GrahamK
15th Jul 2020, 05:46
KLM summer is 4 x daily, 3 x mainline 1 x cityhopper (except July-August when its 2 x mainline, 2 x cityhopper). Winter is 3 x mainline, 1 x cityhopper.

P330
15th Jul 2020, 07:04
I’m platinum with KLM and frequently use the E-Jets. I have a routine to ensure this doesn’t happen and simply it’s be there early.

At NCL, you can work out the gate before it’s called and be outside the door before the masses leave the lounge or the pub. Same on return at D6.

If they are looking at trolleys in the hold, that is when the flights are full (probably not going to be full now) and generally they don’t take them off business class passengers or platinum.

So, no guarantees but you can get round it with a bit of planning.

And to be honest, a full 737 is just as bad, if not worse than an E Jet where I often see gate staff asking for volunteers to gate drop their bag.

ash666
15th Jul 2020, 07:10
I’m platinum with KLM and frequently use the E-Jets. I have a routine to ensure this doesn’t happen and simply it’s be there early.

At NCL, you can work out the gate before it’s called and be outside the door before the masses leave the lounge or the pub. Same on return at D6.

If they are looking at trolleys in the hold, that is when the flights are full (probably not going to be full now) and generally they don’t take them off business class passengers or platinum.

So, no guarantees but you can get round it with a bit of planning.

And to be honest, a full 737 is just as bad, if not worse than an E Jet where I often see gate staff asking for volunteers to gate drop their bag.

Thanks.
Maybe they have changed how they do things.
They used to let pax get to the boarding gate and then take it off them there so they would have no knowledge of what status people are or be bothered about first in the queue, it was just everyone with a trolley would have it taken off them. With a fortune's worth of camera equipment and a laptop that's a non-starter.
Maybe I should have a bike ride to the airport and see what the deal is at the KLM counter.

SWBKCB
15th Jul 2020, 07:12
Or just get a smaller bag, that then goes under the seat. :ok:

mathers_wales_uk
15th Jul 2020, 07:15
So no way of knowing in advance. I wouldn't want my case full of expensive camera equipment, laptop etc being put in the hold.

Based on passed experiences and to speed up the boarding process the number of cabin bags removed from passengers at the gate is indeed dependent on the number of passenger on board.

You could politely ask the boarding agents that due to expensive fragile camera equipment inside you would prefer not as you can’t risk it being damaged.

obviously if that’s a genuine reason because if everybody tries that excuse then it will be mandatory because the physically won’t fit.

These items would be classed as delivery at aircraft so should be waiting at the bottom of the steps when you arrive at Amsterdam or back home to Newcastle.

NCL is not bottom of the heap by a long shot. CWL has had Ryanair operate from the 3rd of July. Apart from that there has been no flights at all.

Vueling will re-commence one route weekly tomorrow then apart from that KLM & TUI will be back at beginning of August with the PSI Anglesey operates by T3.

Qatar has decided not to return until the winter.

It appears for CWL KLM will operate 1 x daily then 2 x daily both without night stopping then return to full schedule end of September.

The busier routes or where they feel can make the most money will be restored first where the other will follow later as confidence returns. But certainly NCL is not at the bottom. (Just look at Exeter things could be so much worse)

ash666
15th Jul 2020, 07:18
Or just get a smaller bag, that then goes under the seat. :ok:

I doubt they would allow that for take-off and landing.
A year ago I saw someone told that they couldn't even read a book for take-off.

ash666
15th Jul 2020, 07:31
Based on passed experiences and to speed up the boarding process the number of cabin bags removed from passengers at the gate is indeed dependent on the number of passenger on board.

You could politely ask the boarding agents that due to expensive fragile camera equipment inside you would prefer not as you can’t risk it being damaged.

obviously if that’s a genuine reason because if everybody tries that excuse then it will be mandatory because the physically won’t fit.

These items would be classed as delivery at aircraft so should be waiting at the bottom of the steps when you arrive at Amsterdam or back home to Newcastle.

NCL is not bottom of the heap by a long shot. CWL has had Ryanair operate from the 3rd of July. Apart from that there has been no flights at all.

Vueling will re-commence one route weekly tomorrow then apart from that KLM & TUI will be back at beginning of August with the PSI Anglesey operates by T3.

Qatar has decided not to return until the winter.

It appears for CWL KLM will operate 1 x daily then 2 x daily both without night stopping then return to full schedule end of September.

The busier routes or where they feel can make the most money will be restored first where the other will follow later as confidence returns. But certainly NCL is not at the bottom. (Just look at Exeter things could be so much worse)

About 18 months ago I was determined to have laser surgery on my eyes and had the money saved up for that, plus I thought I needed a new boiler, which I didn't. I am now very happy with trying contact lenses, which I can recommend, one eye for distance and the other for reading and they don't come out for a month at a time.
So I spent a large part of that money on camera stuff and a laptop.
Maybe if I told the girl trying to take my bag that I would hold her personally responsible for the £6500 worth of fragile things in the bag she would have a change of mind!

10 DME ARC
15th Jul 2020, 07:36
666 Just say you have batteries in the bag, which you have in the camera so it can't go in the hold! They could ask you to remove the batteries but I doubt it!

ash666
15th Jul 2020, 07:38
666 Just say you have batteries in the bag, which you have in the camera so it can't go in the hold! They could ask you to remove the batteries but I doubt it!

Brilliant!
Good point, well made.

guy_incognito
15th Jul 2020, 09:46
Maybe if I told the girl trying to take my bag that I would hold her personally responsible for the £6500 worth of fragile things in the bag she would have a change of mind!

So you think it's perfectly acceptable to threaten somebody who is just doing their job?

ash666
15th Jul 2020, 09:54
So you think it's perfectly acceptable to threaten somebody who is just doing their job?

There's always one.
How many smilies etc does it take for the intellectually challenged to get these things?

ash666
15th Jul 2020, 12:22
Just been into a travel agent to see about currency and the chatty girl behind the counter said she had been looking at a summer trip and, like I said earlier, it was hugely cheaper to travel from EDI than NCL.
Simple supply and demand???

SWBKCB
15th Jul 2020, 12:36
Yes - Newcastle and the North East is a small market (which is why EDI gets the bigger jet). The difference in school summer holidays also impacts on the Scottish/North East markets.

NCL-TRC
15th Jul 2020, 14:06
There's always one.
How many smilies etc does it take for the intellectually challenged to get these things?

There’s a nice big wardrobe at the front of the KLM E-190s, I’m sure if you ask ground staff nicely they’ll be able to speak with the crew and arrange for it to go in there should the overheads be full.
Telling someone who’s been up since 3am, probably on minimum wage and also worried about their job security with all that’s happening at the moment that you’ll hold them personally responsible for doing as they’ve been instructed by KLM really isn’t helpful, especially given the current climate.

SWBKCB
16th Jul 2020, 05:36
The slow recovery continues - first British Airways flight back on the departure board today, along with Air France and KLM.

Jet2 re-started yesterday joinging Ryanair and Easy on flights to the Med, with Duty Free and a couple of bars now open.

FedEx freighter re-started last week.

Jamesair1
17th Jul 2020, 16:25
Just looking at the Easyjet summer 2021 timetable. There seems to be 77 flights per week, the major differences are the MALTA and TENERIFE SOUTH are no longer operated after the end of MAR 21.
Weekly frequencies are:-
ALICANTE........6
BARCELONA...5
BELFAST.........19
BRISTOL.........14
CORFU...........2
FARO...........,.6
GENEVA.......2
JERSEY.........4
NICE.............3
PALMA..........8
MALAGA.......6
SPLIT...........2

MALTA & TENERIFE SOUTH.........cancelled

Fletch
17th Jul 2020, 19:22
Am I correct in thinking Newcastle is/was one of the crew bases schedule to close?

SWBKCB
17th Jul 2020, 19:36
I believe the position is "proposed, subject to consultation". Bit surprised to see such a full timetable for next summer. Is this just a placeholder or can this be done with non-based units?

apaul
17th Jul 2020, 20:17
TENERIFE was always winter only and MALTA was already stopping in March 2021. The routes from Newcastle, Southend and Stansted presumably have to be available as usual so as not to prejudice the ongoing consultation. If the base closures go ahead routes and timetables will be altered.

GrahamK
19th Jul 2020, 11:29
Emirates pushed back to 1st October now. Last UK destination to be restarted

Jamesair1
19th Jul 2020, 15:40
I see that Easyjet re-start BRISTOL tomorrow

ash666
19th Jul 2020, 16:00
Can someone remind me if we did Milan last year?

Jamesair1
19th Jul 2020, 16:20
last Milan flights.....Bergamo....were several years ago with RYANAIR as far as I remember

ash666
19th Jul 2020, 16:24
Shame.
Nice to see Split there, though.

Matt4
19th Jul 2020, 17:29
EK are selling flights again for September on their website. They werent before but now they are

forbesd
22nd Jul 2020, 11:47
I am looking at flying to Nice. Jet2 have cancelled all Nice flights from the regions for the rest of this year.
I understand that EasyJet have announced that Newcastle is a base that is due to close subject to consultation.
But I see that they are still selling flights, on what appears to be Newcastle based planes, for August September and October, not to mention next summer.
How long will the consultation take? How safe is it to book any of these flights or is it likely that they will be cancelled with little if any notice?
Sorry if I have missed something.

BAladdy
24th Jul 2020, 04:01
EK are selling flights again for September on their website. They werent before but now they are
Looks like they have removed them again. First available flight is 1st October

SWBKCB
24th Jul 2020, 05:21
I am looking at flying to Nice. Jet2 have cancelled all Nice flights from the regions for the rest of this year.
I understand that EasyJet have announced that Newcastle is a base that is due to close subject to consultation.
But I see that they are still selling flights, on what appears to be Newcastle based planes, for August September and October, not to mention next summer.
How long will the consultation take? How safe is it to book any of these flights or is it likely that they will be cancelled with little if any notice?
Sorry if I have missed something.

90 days consultation plus the notice period will run to the end of this summer. The flights next summer appear to originate in Newcastle, but how solid is any airlines current schedule for next summer??

VickersVicount
24th Jul 2020, 09:42
Looks like they have removed them again. First available flight is 1st October
Whats happened to all the NCL bookings that were planned Aug/Sept? Are they just outright cancelled or offered alternatives now other UK routes operating?

fl dutchman
24th Jul 2020, 20:25
The booked passengers on those cancelled flights will probably be re-booked on a different date from NCL, or a different route or a refund/voucher.

See the currently once daily LHR not now operating on Tue and Weds in August. Goes to twice daily in Sept, then showing 5 daily from Oct 1st . ( suspect that may not happen though unless bookings pick up ?)

About 20 departures per day now from NCL. Although a long way off pre Covid levels encouraging to see.

SWBKCB
27th Jul 2020, 16:05
The airport has released 76 members of seasonal staff from their contracts early due to the drop in passenger numbers - and is now looking to cut 34 permanent roles.

A spokesperson for the airport said: "Despite the recent return of some scheduled flights to Newcastle International Airport, the outlook for aviation following the Covid-19 crisis remains very uncertain, and we do not expect to restore pre-crisis levels of business until 2022 at the earliest.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-international-airport-confirms-job-18669611

10 DME ARC
4th Aug 2020, 06:41
London Heathrow – Aberdeen 10 weekly
London Heathrow – Belfast City 9 weekly
London Heathrow – Edinburgh 17 weekly
London Heathrow – Glasgow 14 weekly
London Heathrow – Inverness 6 weekly
London Heathrow – Jersey 18 weekly
London Heathrow – Manchester 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Newcastle 5 weekly
London Heathrow – Newquay 5 weekly

BA domestic ops as of 2nd August, we really fit into same bracket as Newquay a brand new route!!??

ash666
4th Aug 2020, 06:59
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-international-airport-confirms-job-18669611
The airport has released 76 members of seasonal staff from their contracts early due to the drop in passenger numbers - and is now looking to cut 34 permanent roles.
Quote:
A spokesperson for the airport said: "Despite the recent return of some scheduled flights to Newcastle International Airport, the outlook for aviation following the Covid-19 crisis remains very uncertain, and we do not expect to restore pre-crisis levels of business until 2022 at the earliest..
-------------------------------
Maybe that would explain my -yet again- awful experience on my return to NCL a week or 10 days ago.
My car was at South Gosforth so I walked to the train platform, scanning my Pop card as I went, waited on the platform for 5 minutes until a speaker announcement said that no trains were running.
I waited for the next bit about replacement buses but nothing came.
I went back to the main building to find someone who could tell me what was going on.
There was no-one, not a soul. No information desk.
Was it so difficult to put someone at the entrance to to train passageway letting people know what was happening?
Or maybe NCL is the only airport in the world without even a noticeboard to put up there with the information.
But thank you to the girls at the Jet 2 desk who looked it up on their computer and told me I could use the 1-an-hour bus 42 outside.
Yep, after all the above I had 55 minutes to wait and no idea what I should do with my Pop card in all this.
Anyone new to the airport would have been in total confusion.
Even the taxi drivers weren't sure where the bus 42 stop was but people would have bought train tickets by that time.
One day NCL will get it right but I'm not holding my breath.

Wallsendmag
4th Aug 2020, 09:06
Quote:
A spokesperson for the airport said: "Despite the recent return of some scheduled flights to Newcastle International Airport, the outlook for aviation following the Covid-19 crisis remains very uncertain, and we do not expect to restore pre-crisis levels of business until 2022 at the earliest..
-------------------------------
Maybe that would explain my -yet again- awful experience on my return to NCL a week or 10 days ago.
My car was at South Gosforth so I walked to the train platform, scanning my Pop card as I went, waited on the platform for 5 minutes until a speaker announcement said that no trains were running.
I waited for the next bit about replacement buses but nothing came.
I went back to the main building to find someone who could tell me what was going on.
There was no-one, not a soul. No information desk.
Was it so difficult to put someone at the entrance to to train passageway letting people know what was happening?
Or maybe NCL is the only airport in the world without even a noticeboard to put up there with the information.
But thank you to the girls at the Jet 2 desk who looked it up on their computer and told me I could use the 1-an-hour bus 42 outside.
Yep, after all the above I had 55 minutes to wait and no idea what I should do with my Pop card in all this.
Anyone new to the airport would have been in total confusion.
Even the taxi drivers weren't sure where the bus 42 stop was but people would have bought train tickets by that time.
One day NCL will get it right but I'm not holding my breath.
It's not a train its a tram and surely you should be venting at Nexus.

ash666
4th Aug 2020, 09:45

Then why do Nexus call them trains?

And it is all part of the NCL experience.
No matter what problems passengers had there was no-one there to ask and with people wandering aimlessly around the terminal building wondering what to do makes it very much an airport problem.
Which could all so easily be have sorted with a simple notice at the entrance to the trains saying trains not running, use bus 42 outside.

tigertanaka
4th Aug 2020, 09:46
London Heathrow – Aberdeen 10 weekly
London Heathrow – Edinburgh 17 weekly
London Heathrow – Glasgow 14 weekly
London Heathrow – Newquay 5 weekly

BA domestic ops as of 2nd August, we really fit into same bracket as Newquay a brand new route!!??

I don't think you can really look at all the domestic operations in the same way.

Routes where the train is not an option

Routes where the train is 4 hours+
London Heathrow – Edinburgh 17 weekly (normally has 70 flights a week, plus 22 a week from LGW, plus 42 from LCY)
London Heathrow – Glasgow 14 weekly (normally has 57 flights a week, plus 23 a week from LGW, plus 30 from LCY)

Route with a £125k a month government subsidy (plus strong current tourism demand)
London Heathrow – Newquay 5 7 weekly

Routes where the train takes 2 hours so are only there right now to provide onward connecting feed

highwideandugly
4th Aug 2020, 09:54
Wow 2 hours Newcastle to London by train. I blinked and missed the opening of HS3/4/5

SWBKCB
4th Aug 2020, 10:26
Wow 2 hours Newcastle to London by train. I blinked and missed the opening of HS3/4/5

Will we be that far up the HS list? Yes, I the 2 hours isn't quite right (feels more like 2 days...) but I think the general point TT is making is valid - it's also the reason given when we are the first to be cancelled by BA.

ATNotts
4th Aug 2020, 10:38
Will we be that far up the HS list? Yes, I the 2 hours isn't quite right (feels more like 2 days...) but I think the general point TT is making is valid - it's also the reason given when we are the first to be cancelled by BA.

Google tells me the average journey time from Newcastle to London by rail is 3h33m. If you're headed for London, then by the time you've checked in, gone through security, boarded the aircraft, landed, deplaned, then taken the tube or train to central London I don't imagine the overall time is that much different, and you get space to work, and generally, even in standard class, more leg room than you'll ever get down the back of an A320.

The point of NCL-LHR is surely interlining, and with so many parts of the world inaccessible to us, or that require quarantine on arrival, or for which the UK requires quarantine on return the demand for interlining just isn't there; the same reason why Emirates are delaying the return of DXB-NCL.

SWBKCB
4th Aug 2020, 10:47
and you get space to work, and generally, even in standard class, more leg room than you'll ever get down the back of an A320.

Not my experience - and I've never had to stand on an A.320...

SWBKCB
4th Aug 2020, 10:59

I always thought the technical term was "light rail" :ok:

And yes, a Nexus issue but there should have been better co-ordination.

ash666
4th Aug 2020, 11:03
I always thought the technical term was "light rail" :ok:

And yes, a Nexus issue but there should have been better co-ordination.

If it is still the same basic system as originally, they are buses with track wheels stuck on the bottom.

10 DME ARC
4th Aug 2020, 14:26
The point of NCL-LHR is surely interlining, and with so many parts of the world inaccessible to us, or that require quarantine on arrival, or for which the UK requires quarantine on return the demand for interlining just isn't there; the same reason why Emirates are delaying the return of DXB-NCL.
ATNotts is offline Report Post (https://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=10852908)
Well I can only speak for me but with no EK if I want to fly in/out NCL KLM more of an option, cheaper and better connections, saying that nothing has really changed! You be amazed after the last 5 months how many people are actually moving around while they can!!

ATNotts
4th Aug 2020, 15:37
Well I can only speak for me but with no EK if I want to fly in/out NCL KLM more of an option, cheaper and better connections, saying that nothing has really changed! You be amazed after the last 5 months how many people are actually moving around while they can!!

You may well me moving around, but passenger figures across the globe suggest that most people are not!

fl dutchman
4th Aug 2020, 18:22
The LHR goes to 11 weekly from 1 Sept.
A full schedule of 5 Daily showing from 1 Oct ( if it happens)

Beatts
10th Aug 2020, 16:55
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/292988/loganair-adds-newcastle-exeter-service-from-sep-2020/?fbclid=IwAR2Fzo0VMaDB9s5y4uSxs6HO6MsD6UoWKMuAZ7NxLDQXA9z_ju ix9BHIlUw

fl dutchman
11th Aug 2020, 19:38
NCL-LHR
Now going 3 daily instead of 5 from end of Oct to start of Dec. ( some days 2 )

Jamesair1
17th Aug 2020, 13:17
Base closure now confirmed wef 31st Aug. but confirmation given that NCL will continue to be served by inward flights from domestic and international airports.

GBYAJ
17th Aug 2020, 14:10
Base closure now confirmed wef 31st Aug. but confirmation given that NCL will continue to be served by inward flights from domestic and international airports.
only Belfast bristol and Nice.

chris1001
17th Aug 2020, 14:15

Very sad day for Newcastle, especially for base staff and support staff. Personally I always preferred the relative ‘sophistication’ of EZY over Ryanair and Jet2 with their holiday camp style and constant announcements.

If you look at the timetables for EZY for next year, the flight times, certainly to Malaga are very similar with 7am departures outbound. Will these be subject to change or maybe these are served by Belfast or Bristol based aircraft and crew?

ash666
17th Aug 2020, 15:26
Jet2 with their holiday camp style and constant announcements.

You certainly end up hating Jessie J

sunshine79
17th Aug 2020, 18:14
Newcastle Chronicle are reporting EZY will only fly to BFS and BRS, with NCE to continue until October then no more flights at all, surely that can't be true

tigertanaka
17th Aug 2020, 18:24
You certainly end up hating Jessie J

​​​​​​​Or Jess Glynne

Newcastle Chronicle are reporting EZY will only fly to BFS and BRS, with NCE to continue until October then no more flights at all, surely that can't be true

I think we need to wait for them to re-jigg the summer 2021 timetable but winter does not look great right now.

ash666
17th Aug 2020, 18:28
Or Jess Glynne

Oops. I knew it was the redhead.

​​​​​​​

SWBKCB
17th Aug 2020, 18:43

It apppears so - from the ChronicleA Newcastle International Airport (https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/all-about/newcastle-international-airport) spokeswoman said: "As of today easyJet concluded its staff consultation and has taken the decision to close three UK bases including Newcastle International Airport. Our thoughts go out to all easyJet staff who have been affected. The North East has a long standing relationship with easyJet and whilst this base closure will impact flights to all their international destinations the airline will maintain year-round services to Belfast, Bristol and Nice for this summer only. Over 80% of the international destinations affected are already served by our existing airline partners and we will continue discussions regarding their interest in the other impacted destinations.

BHX5DME
17th Aug 2020, 18:52
Yes just BFS & BRS from Winter schedule

The Nutts Mutts
17th Aug 2020, 19:21
Did Newcastle have a Geneva ski route with EZY?

SWBKCB
17th Aug 2020, 19:45
Did Newcastle have a Geneva ski route with EZY?

Yes - with both based and non-based a/c

The Nutts Mutts
17th Aug 2020, 19:59
And that's totally gone too? That seems like a big loss, I'd have thought that would be a profitable route. Here's hoping it makes a return once the current travel situation improves.

HH6702
17th Aug 2020, 20:12
I think easyJet will return but may not happen until summer 2022

CabinCrewe
17th Aug 2020, 20:34
Wonder how they selected which bases were to go? Not sure it would be as a result of massive competition.

skyman771
17th Aug 2020, 20:52
And that's totally gone too? That seems like a big loss, I'd have thought that would be a profitable route. Here's hoping it makes a return once the current travel situation improves.
So where is there a published statement stating specifically that NCL-GVA is cancelled for Winter 20/21 ?
At present it remains on booking engine, and as stated elsewhere the equipment was from their European base(s) on numerous occasions last winter....

The Nutts Mutts
17th Aug 2020, 21:01
I just took that from other comments saying that the only winter routes from NCL would be BRS and BFS. Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick.

chris1001
17th Aug 2020, 21:19
Oops. I knew it was the redhead.

Yep the last thing you need on a 7am departure. Jess Glynn on repeat with loads of drunken Geordies!

The only source so far seems to be the Evening Chronicle and comments on their Facebook from staff. Saying that, the press aren’t exactly reliable till official statement from EasyJet. Had to laugh on Look North tonight when they showed a map of the EasyJet routes and it showed Faroe in the Shetland Islands!!!!

apaul
17th Aug 2020, 21:48
Most of easyet's winter programme from Newcastle can no longer be booked. Nice stopping at the end of September, not October. Appears to be a Geneva flight on Saturday during the skiing season.

Saabdriver1
17th Aug 2020, 21:53
it showed Faroe in the Shetland Islands!!!!

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

SWBKCB
17th Aug 2020, 22:14
So where is there a published statement stating specifically that NCL-GVA is cancelled for Winter 20/21 ?
At present it remains on booking engine, and as stated elsewhere the equipment was from their European base(s) on numerous occasions last winter....

See my post 2567 - "whilst this base closure will impact flights to all their international destinations the airline will maintain year-round services to Belfast, Bristol and Nice for this summer only"

From a quick look, the booking engine doesn't seem to have been changed for any flights yet.

apaul
17th Aug 2020, 22:21
Booking engine has been changed for the winter season. Not yet for Summer 2021.

jensdad
17th Aug 2020, 23:08
Had to laugh on Look North tonight when they showed a map of the EasyJet routes and it showed Faroe in the Shetland Islands!!!!

I'm pretty sure Easy don't fly to the Faroes. Just typed FAE into their booking engine and nowt came up...

jensdad
17th Aug 2020, 23:17
Just checked on iplayer and Look North got Faroe in the right place, but their geography isn't entirely better than Chris's ;) as they've obviously mistaken Faroe for Faro.

chris1001
18th Aug 2020, 00:01
Just checked on iplayer and Look North got Faroe in the right place, but their geography isn't entirely better than Chris's ;) as they've obviously mistaken Faroe for Faro.

Trust me, I know where Faro is and where Faroe is. I was having a go at the BBC for their shocking journalism.

PinOnTheRight
18th Aug 2020, 07:02
Trust me, I know where Faro is and where Faroe is. I was having a go at the BBC for their shocking journalism.

They must have corrected the map for the iplayer upload as it shows Faroe in the Faroe Islands, and not in the Shetland Islands as you claim.

apaul
18th Aug 2020, 07:10
It always did show Faroe in the Faroe Islands, but that's a long way from Faro. The map also showed the Canaries as a separate destination to Tenerife South. It was a hopeless piece of work.

Jamesair1
18th Aug 2020, 08:40
Assuming Easyjet only operates to BRISTOL, BELFAST. and NICE in Summer 21 the balance of routes not covered by other operators would be ....BARCELONA, SPLIT, GENEVA and JERSEY, all of which, under normal non Covid 19 conditions, would quickly find replacement operators.

Saabdriver1
18th Aug 2020, 09:17
Trust me, I know where Faro is and where Faroe is.

I think most of us have got that. My laugh or cry point was that the Faroe Islands are nothing to do with the Shetland Islands and I don't think that was confusion caused by Look North!

10 DME ARC
18th Aug 2020, 13:33
I see EK have pushed the re-start date for DXB-NCL to the 1st December! At the moment EDI still re-starts 1st October?

jensdad
18th Aug 2020, 13:51
I think most of us have got that. My laugh or cry point was that the Faroe Islands are nothing to do with the Shetland Islands and I don't think that was confusion caused by Look North!
That was my point as well. Anyway, more serious issues at NCL than BBC's and Chris's geographical inaccuracy.

ash666
18th Aug 2020, 18:02
From the Chron:

"Talks are under way with airlines over taking on the international flights axed by easyJet from Newcastle International Airport.

Newcastle Airport confirmed it is in discussions with other airlines to establish their interest in regards to the impacted destinations.A spokeswoman said: "Over 80% of the international destinations affected are already served by our existing airline partners and we will continue discussions regarding their interest in the other impacted destinations."

jensdad
18th Aug 2020, 21:06
Blue Islands seem to be expanding pretty rapidly at the moment, hopefully they'll have room to stick a couple of Jersey - NCL flights into their schedule.

Jamesair1
19th Aug 2020, 08:39
If not....surely Loganair will jump at the chance but I think Jet2 with their larger a/c will seize the opportunity.

apaul
19th Aug 2020, 10:02
Larger a/c is a problem for Jersey. When Newcastle Falcons chartered a Boeing 737-800 to Jersey this spring they had to leave a lot of the intended passengers in Newcastle. Loganair more likely.

LBIA
19th Aug 2020, 10:29
Can't see Jet2 using Boeing 737-800 on a Newcastle - Jersey route. It could done on a w-leg using a Leeds based Boeing 737-300 though.

I suspect Loganair will most likely pick up the route.

NCL-TRC
19th Aug 2020, 11:00
I suspect Loganair or Blue island as already said would be interesting in filling the hole for Jersey.

Jet2 already fly to BCN, NCE and GVA from other UK bases so would potentially be a candidate for those routes, with BCN and NCE probably fitting quite well into their city breaks brand.

The remainder of the capacity to places like ALC, AGP etc would probably in normal times ended up being divided up between TUI, Jet2 and maybe Ryanair, but at the present time there probably isn’t the demand for these airlines to fill their already scheduled flights so I can’t see them adding any more capacity.

FRatSTN
19th Aug 2020, 12:48
Best hopes from RYR would be BCN and MLA. Maybe added frequency to ALC, AGP, FAO and PMI if anything at all.

HH6702
19th Aug 2020, 21:26
Best hopes from RYR would be BCN and MLA. Maybe added frequency to ALC, AGP, FAO and PMI if anything at all.

could we see another airline fresh at Newcastle.
You would say timing isn’t right but maybe someone will take the risk where Easyjet was operating

highwideandugly
20th Aug 2020, 07:46
Thoughts about Emirates..see Glasgow have 2/3 freight only flights every week.
I thought the Newcastle flight was always jam packed with freight..wonder why no flights through there? Is it all going to Glasgow?

FFHKG
20th Aug 2020, 10:03
Guess. it's where the freight originates depends on their airport of choice. EK move a lot of freight by road to the airport with the available capacity. Maybe, too little local originating freight to road haul the necessary volume to create a full hold from NCL at present.

inOban
20th Aug 2020, 10:29
Much of the freight out of Glasgow is, or was, salmon and shellfish.

10 DME ARC
20th Aug 2020, 10:39
EK I am more worried about the fact EDI starts 1st October 1xday and NCL is just cancelled until end of November but unlike other destinations has no start date! Just glad my DXB commute not needed soon! Joining the likes of Highwideandugly in retirement! :-)

GrahamK
20th Aug 2020, 19:19
I suspect the EK EDI will get pushed back.
Looks like LH to Munich not returning until March 2021
Eurowings to DUS confirmed for Sept restart

skyman771
20th Aug 2020, 22:37
[QUOTE=GrahamK;10866254]I suspect the EK EDI will get pushed back.
Ref EK to NCL, then how are EK managing their other routes, particularly those with A380's ?
Is there not a potential situation where many A380 premium routes are currently experiencing low demand , requiring a switch to 773's? If so then presumably a shortage of equipment elsewhere on the network ?

skyman771
20th Aug 2020, 23:21
Ref earlier comment, then I note EZY has now cleared out all their European destinations & GVA is no more....

10 DME ARC
21st Aug 2020, 08:15
771...As someone who works here believe me when I say no shortage of 77W's!!!

GrahamK
22nd Aug 2020, 08:38
TUI cutting flights for next year. SSH at least is gone

GBYAJ
22nd Aug 2020, 09:43

cant be any surprises here. At least it won’t be Newcastle specific.

I don’t know anyone going abroad this year or even saying they’ll go next year.

while easyJet has obviously binned Geneva (along with everything else) I wonder what the prospects for any type of ski season is this winter?

guy_incognito
22nd Aug 2020, 11:00
I don’t know anyone going abroad this year or even saying they’ll go next year.

With TUI announcing that bookings are up 145% for next summer, it seems that there's plenty of demand for holidays. I don't know anyone who isn't planning to go away on holiday next year.

SWBKCB
22nd Aug 2020, 11:19
What was that 145% compared to? I would have thought any plans for next year will be a bit speculative at the monent.

Alteagod
22nd Aug 2020, 11:20
I would tend to agree. 145% increase on diddly squat really at the minute

guy_incognito
22nd Aug 2020, 14:13
145% up on the same point last year. A significant portion of that will be re-bookings, but it's a clear sign the appetite for package holidays is there. Jet2 haven't released numbers, as far as I know, but I'd be surprised if the picture was much different to TUI's.

HH6702
22nd Aug 2020, 14:38
Hi

i wonder if TUI will still base 4 aircraft for next summer. They added an aircraft to help cover TCX.

I can see for next year TUI back to 3 aircraft and I can see Jet2 even reducing the flight offering from ncl also and moving a aircraft to another base so they aren’t leasing from Titan next year.

just my thoughts

CabinCrewe
22nd Aug 2020, 15:55
Much of the freight out of Glasgow is, or was, salmon and shellfish.
Some of it is but certainly not ‘much of it’

LiamNCL
22nd Aug 2020, 16:17

SSH dropped everywhere but LGW MAN BHX

ROC10
22nd Aug 2020, 19:21
What was that 145% compared to? I would have thought any plans for next year will be a bit speculative at the monent.
Agreed. If demand was so high, they wouldn’t be cutting so many flights and potentially even closing bases from the looks of the timetable.

Yeehaw22
22nd Aug 2020, 20:11

Compared to the forward bookings at the same time a year earlier. But as has been said skewed a lot by people moving their holidays from s20 to s21. The anticipation is moving forward, people are going to book more on the fly much closer to dep date rather than months in advance.

Yeehaw22
22nd Aug 2020, 20:17
Agreed. If demand was so high, they wouldn’t be cutting so many flights and potentially even closing bases from the looks of the timetable.

We are just at the start of a deep recession, which equals less money for holidays. Who knows what the coming years will bring. It looks to me as they are being cautious for now but may well add in extra routes/frequencies if demand increases.

The UK fleet is largely staying around the same size but i doubt there'll be any wet leases for the coming year or 2, barring a couple of sunwing a/c at a push.

oldart
23rd Aug 2020, 08:48
The UK fleet is largely staying around the same size but i doubt there'll be any wet leases for the coming year or 2, barring a couple of sunwing a/c at a push.

Isn't the 737 max supposed to be in the fleet for next year? I would imagine that they might not need the Sunwing aircraft at all.

Yeehaw22
23rd Aug 2020, 10:05
Isn't the 737 max supposed to be in the fleet for next year? I would imagine that they might not need the Sunwing aircraft at all.

Yes it is sometime around spring, and some more to be delivered over the winter too, there are also some a/c EOL and group transfers so hard to pin down fleet numbers. I guess it will be a while before the fleet picture becomes clearer.

easyflyer83
23rd Aug 2020, 16:11
Recession or not, don’t write off strong pent up demand. There is very strong evidence that in the financial crash of the late 00’s, people were ring fencing money for holidays.

There may be cuts to how much they will splash out, and a pragmatic review of where they go along with some cut back on those very discretionary weekend breaks and stag do’s etc but ultimately, the traditional holiday destinations in the Med and Canaries will be booming next summer, Covid permitting.

Atlantic Explorer
23rd Aug 2020, 17:48
Recession or not, don’t write off strong pent up demand. There is very strong evidence that in the financial crash of the late 00’s, people were ring fencing money for holidays.

There may be cuts to how much they will splash out, and a pragmatic review of where they go along with some cut back on those very discretionary weekend breaks and stag do’s etc but ultimately, the traditional holiday destinations in the Med and Canaries will be booming next summer, Covid permitting.

Have you seen the current and projected unemployment figures? Can’t see many people who are on Jobseeker’s Allowance being able to afford to go away on holiday. The forthcoming financial and economic crisis is quite sobering.

OzzyOzBorn
23rd Aug 2020, 20:06
The market will be split. Yes, there are people who have lost jobs and income who will have nothing to spare. But there are also those whose skills have been in demand like never before. NHS staff, logistics workers, online retailers, delivery support, utilities staff, carers, IT staff. Many of these will have earned more than before, and for most taking a holiday has not been an option. Remember too that many retirees have seen their pensions coming in as normal but have not been out spending as they usually would. So there is a pent-up market for travel out there. Maybe not as broad-based as pre-Covid, but there are plenty who look forward to traveling again when all these rules and restrictions have been lifted.

An unemployment rate of 10% - dismal - would still imply that 90% are working and bringing in an income.

easyflyer83
23rd Aug 2020, 21:39
Have you seen the current and projected unemployment figures? Can’t see many people who are on Jobseeker’s Allowance being able to afford to go away on holiday. The forthcoming financial and economic crisis is quite sobering.

My point was that during the last recession the travel and airline industry proved to be more resilient than in previous downturns. Given that people place more value on a holiday these days, often at the expense of other discretionary expenditure, and the fact that there is still some money that will be flowing that was saved during lockdown, a strong holiday market in the traditional destinations shouldn’t come as a surprise.

SWBKCB
24th Aug 2020, 14:51
July CAA stats out. Busiest routes were PMI, ALV, AGP, all over 5,000 pax. "Best" performing route was WRO - only down 68%!

ash666
24th Aug 2020, 15:15
Maybe there are a lot of people like me who would love to use the Pisa flight but don't want to be stuck there for a week.
Could they not do 3 or 4 night trips one way or another?

jensdad
25th Aug 2020, 20:48
Maybe there are a lot of people like me who would love to use the Pisa flight but don't want to be stuck there for a week.
Could they not do 3 or 4 night trips one way or another?
All about critical mass, I guess. Would they gain enough passengers to justify another flight? My guess would be no, at the moment anyway. It's lush round there anyway, have a week there :)

fl dutchman
25th Aug 2020, 21:49
I think Pisa was due to be twice weekly before covid.
It has been in past years.

GrahamK
26th Aug 2020, 17:22
Some good news, Eurowings restart Dusseldorf 3 x weekly from next week (Wed, Fri,Sun).
Good to have a wee bit of positivity amongst a lot of negativity

highwideandugly
26th Aug 2020, 18:13
Anyone know the British Airways heathrow plans..seem very erratic at mo. Some colleagues planning on a few return trips next week..said I would ask! I did point out the web site!!

fl dutchman
26th Aug 2020, 22:19
Anyone know the British Airways heathrow plans..seem very erratic at mo. Some colleagues planning on a few return trips next week..said I would ask! I did point out the web site!!

Seems to be one flight daily but not all days until 1 Oct then 5 Daily to end of Oct. Then 2/3 Daily up to end Dec. That was as per yesterday. Changing often.

GrahamK
31st Aug 2020, 06:57
Sad day with the last day of easyJet based ops today.

Jamesair1
31st Aug 2020, 08:20
According to another thread 6 regional airports are bidding for Aer Lingus routes to the USA on a three year contract from 2021 using A321LR aircraft (these a/c are currently based at Shannon). Two of the airports are BHX and MAN but not known who the other four are......NCL?

SWBKCB
31st Aug 2020, 08:46
Only if they had more money than sense.

10 DME ARC
31st Aug 2020, 11:32
Only if they had more money than sense

That will be MME then ......... :-)

ATNotts
31st Aug 2020, 12:45
According to another thread 6 regional airports are bidding for Aer Lingus routes to the USA on a three year contract from 2021 using A321LR aircraft (these a/c are currently based at Shannon). Two of the airports are BHX and MAN but not known who the other four are......NCL?

BRS will be one, I guess that NCL probably is another, or perhaps LBA.

CabinCrewe
31st Aug 2020, 16:49
The article says EDI.
Presumably theyd be likely to select somewhere with as near to zero competition.

GrahamK
31st Aug 2020, 17:18
The article says EDI.
Presumably theyd be likely to select somewhere with as near to zero competition.
Most likely:
MAN, BHX, GLA, EDI, BRS and BFS

GBYAJ
31st Aug 2020, 18:36
Sad day with the last day of easyJet based ops today.
agreed.

without wanting to stoke up, they’re a business trying to make profit etc it seems a very tokanist move to shut NCL at this time. Crew claim they were told it was profitable, it can’t be performing any worse than everywhere else and unless the aircraft are leaving the fleet (they may be, don’t know) the saving will appear to be marginal. Except next year when the exceptional items (base closures) are shown in the accounts and makes underlying performance better than it actually was.

but this is easyJet who if I remember correctly moved ncl based aircraft to bfs at short notice to complete with a new operator there and were then
beaten into the ground by Jet2 at Ncl, they never appeared to be the dominant low cost carrier that they claimed to be....

Just my opionin, and for what it’s worth can’t see the mayor and MME ending well either (just look at how leadership at the conservative run Northumberland council is unravelling)!!

HH6702
31st Aug 2020, 18:56

im guessing ncl will Be in the running but I’m guessing Edinburgh and maybe lgw will be the 2 that win.

IAG will want to go where they can make more money and keep other out like DY !!

just my guess would be nice but 10% of this happening

SWBKCB
31st Aug 2020, 19:36
just my guess would be nice but 10% of this happening

I've got this really nice bridge for sale, if you're interested?

SWBKCB
31st Aug 2020, 19:42
agreed.

without wanting to stoke up, they’re a business trying to make profit etc it seems a very tokanist move to shut NCL at this time. Crew claim they were told it was profitable, it can’t be performing any worse than everywhere else and unless the aircraft are leaving the fleet (they may be, don’t know) the saving will appear to be marginal. Except next year when the exceptional items (base closures) are shown in the accounts and makes underlying performance better than it actually was.

but this is easyJet who if I remember correctly moved ncl based aircraft to bfs at short notice to complete with a new operator there and were then
beaten into the ground by Jet2 at Ncl, they never appeared to be the dominant low cost carrier that they claimed to be....

Just my opionin, and for what it’s worth can’t see the mayor and MME ending well either (just look at how leadership at the conservative run Northumberland council is unravelling)!!

At one stage NCL ran neck to neck with BRS as an EZY base, similar size, similar range of routes - now NCL is shut, and BRS is how many ???

The signs have been there for years, last base to lose the 737, reduction in based units, a base of sunshine and domestic routes, but city destinations run for a couple of years and get dropped - basically the small customer base for these destinations has been their, and so time to move on...

What's the difference - look at the income levels of the respective catchment areas.

MerchantVenturer
31st Aug 2020, 20:03
At one stage NCL ran neck to neck with BRS as an EZY base, similar size, similar range of routes - now NCL is shut, and BRS is how many ???

BRS was due to have 18 based easyJet aircraft this summer: 10 x A320, 6 x A319, 2 x A321 with nearly 80 easyJet routes albeit some seasonal. The pandemic quickly put paid to that though.

The obvious potential danger to BRS is the over-reliance on easyJet which carried over 50% of its 9 million annual passengers pre-COVID. Today 29 of BRS's 48 airline departures were easyJet (48 is about 45% of the airport's normal programme this time of the year) which is broadly in line with August as a whole.

GBYAJ
31st Aug 2020, 20:06

The signs have been there for years, last base to lose the 737, reduction in based units, a base of sunshine and domestic routes, but city destinations run for a couple of years and get dropped - basically the small customer base for these destinations has been their, and so time to move on...

What's the difference - look at the income levels of the respective catchment areas.

while I agree to a certain extent I don’t think it’s that cut and dry. There is money up here just not as much!

at NCL in the early days high frequency domestic routes (STN, BRS and BFS) worked well with the favourite Med destinations. Start cutting back the domestic and letting Jet2 (and thomsonfly I think with the 737-300) beat them on the Med routes and it all went pear shaped.

I remember flying to Prague with EZY from
NCL and was surprised how full the plane was and how many business travellers there were. On the other hand went to BUD and it was only half full wit xmas market shoppers. So based on this extensive research I think without being an expert there are routes that will work from ncl and those that won’t. I think they tried too many that wouldn’t. Used to fly to all three domestics and every flight was full. I Think ezy moved from being low cost which NCL punters originally embraced and then the airport and
customers didn’t fit with it.

SWBKCB
31st Aug 2020, 20:07
BRS was due to have 18 based easyJet aircraft this summer: 10 x A320, 6 x A319, 2 x A321 with nearly 80 easyJet routes albeit some seasonal. The pandemic quickly put paid to that though.

The obvious potential danger to BRS is the over-reliance on easyJet which carried over 50% of its 9 million annual passengers pre-COVID. Today 29 of BRS's 48 airline departures were easyJet (48 is about 45% of the airport's normal programme this time of the year) which is broadly in line with August as a whole.

Think we'd swop you that problem, MV!

LiamNCL
1st Sep 2020, 11:53
Jet2 much better airline for its customers and employees, hopefully expansion will come when things return to normality to pick up some of easyJets routes.

ash666
1st Sep 2020, 12:22
while I agree to a certain extent I don’t think it’s that cut and dry. There is money up here just not as much!

at NCL in the early days high frequency domestic routes (STN, BRS and BFS) worked well with the favourite Med destinations. Start cutting back the domestic and letting Jet2 (and thomsonfly I think with the 737-300) beat them on the Med routes and it all went pear shaped.

I remember flying to Prague with EZY from
NCL and was surprised how full the plane was and how many business travellers there were. On the other hand went to BUD and it was only half full wit xmas market shoppers. So based on this extensive research I think without being an expert there are routes that will work from ncl and those that won’t. I think they tried too many that wouldn’t. Used to fly to all three domestics and every flight was full. I Think ezy moved from being low cost which NCL punters originally embraced and then the airport and
customers didn’t fit with it.

I remember the head-scratching when EZY pulled the constantly full Prague route, which I used myself as well.

BAladdy
1st Sep 2020, 22:15
BA cutting LHR service to 20 x Weekly (3 x Daily Wednesday to Monday 2 flights of Tuesdays) for winter season

GBYAJ
2nd Sep 2020, 05:25
BA cutting LHR service to 20 x Weekly (3 x Daily Wednesday to Monday 2 flights of Tuesdays) for winter season

technically an increase from now though if there is a positive. Doesn’t appear to be a flight today.

until working from home switches to getting back to the office there will be little business travel. Unfortunately a lot of firms (mine included) have realised how much of the travel budget was not necessary spending so will be reluctant to approve business trips by train or plane to London etc.

LiamNCL
2nd Sep 2020, 05:29
technically an increase from now though if there is a positive. Doesn’t appear to be a flight today.

until working from home switches to getting back to the office there will be little business travel. Unfortunately a lot of firms (mine included) have realised how much of the travel budget was not necessary spending so will be reluctant to approve business trips by train or plane to London etc.

Not to forget the onward travel via LHR is basically non existant.

milhouse999
7th Sep 2020, 08:01
Nice to see JET2 adding flights - extra Saturday flight added to the NCL to CFU route from 19th September for the final month of the season, picking up where Easyjet have deserted the airport. Meaning JET2 are now up to 3 a week on this route.

The last seat on the BA NCL to LHR flight last night was going for £633 one way.

inOban
7th Sep 2020, 09:12
wasn't king's cross closed for engineering all weekend?

Jamesair1
7th Sep 2020, 10:15
There are still difficulties this morning at Kings Cross....signalling problems causing delays

SeanM1997
8th Sep 2020, 19:40
Loganair launching Aberdeen-Newcastle-Newquay from 29 March 2021 - initially 2x weekly flights before increasing to 3x weekly flights from 30 June 2021. Saturday and Sunday rotations NCL-NQY-NCL will be added (no ABZ tag) from 22 May 2020

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/1303314753566240769

CabinCrewe
9th Sep 2020, 21:16
BA lounge apparently being closed permanently. One wonders how long the LHR route will last at all...

jensdad
9th Sep 2020, 23:06
BA lounge apparently being closed permanently. One wonders how long the LHR route will last at all...
Is that 'permanently' or 'indefinitely'? With the low number of flights at present, I can see sense in the latter. If the former, then maybe a little ominous. But, strange times and all that.

JKKne
9th Sep 2020, 23:26
Judging by posts on Flyertalk and BA staff on there, it’s a permanent closure.

More expected but disappointing cost cutting. Imagine they’ll sign a deal with Aspire if things get back up and running.

BAladdy
10th Sep 2020, 11:32
LM’s S21 schedule is now on sale through until the end of August 2021. LM are currently planning to operate:

Aberdeen - up to 17 x Weekly
Bergen - 3 x Weekly (Wed/Fri/Sun) from 31st March
Exeter - 8 x Weekly (2 flight op on a Friday)
Newquay - Between 2 and 5 x Weekly
Southampton - 17 x Weekly (3 x Daily Mon-Fri and Daily Sat/Sun)
Stavanger - 5 x Weekly (Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri/Sun)

GCI - No direct flights are currently on sale. However LM are offering up to 2 flights a day to GCI via SOU through there codeshare with Blue Island.

Jamesair1
10th Sep 2020, 13:14
I'm surprised they are not taking up the vacant Jersey route next summer.....maybe its one for their partner...Blue Island.

BAladdy
10th Sep 2020, 16:37
I'm surprised they are not taking up the vacant Jersey route next summer.....maybe its one for their partner...Blue Island.
Loganair are selling flight to JER involving a connection at either EXT or SOU through Blue Island codeshare agreement.

HH6702
10th Sep 2020, 18:02

Maybe Jet2 but think aircraft maybe too big.
hopefully if things improve before next summer we see loganair base another aircraft or could we see Eastern or Stobart with there ATR on the Jersey

The Nutts Mutts
10th Sep 2020, 18:09
Maybe Jet2 but think aircraft maybe too big.
hopefully if things improve before next summer we see loganair base another aircraft or could we see Eastern or Stobart with there ATR on the Jersey

Out of curiosity, how many aircraft do Loganair currently have based at NCL?

Fly757X
10th Sep 2020, 18:33
Out of curiosity, how many aircraft do Loganair currently have based at NCL?

1 at present, normally 2 to serve both SOU/ABZ in the mornings.

The Nutts Mutts
10th Sep 2020, 19:37
Thanks for that!

SWBKCB
14th Sep 2020, 08:01
1 at present, normally 2 to serve both SOU/ABZ in the mornings.

2 this morning, operating ABZ/SOU early departures

Matt4
15th Sep 2020, 14:21
According to the Ryanair website looks like we have Lauda coming in operating the PMI on Saturday and Sunday

HH6702
15th Sep 2020, 14:23
According to the Ryanair website looks like we have Lauda coming in operating the PMI on Saturday and Sunday

When does this start ?

Matt4
15th Sep 2020, 14:25
When does this start ?

They were supposed to be operating all summer on behalf of Ryanair but cancelled due to the pandemic. I think it’s just now and again at the moment

GrahamK
22nd Sep 2020, 06:58
KLM reduce to 14 x weekly for winter

GrahamK
23rd Sep 2020, 18:04
No Eurowings until February after the 1st week of October

BAladdy
24th Sep 2020, 02:02
EK have removed from sale all flights to both NCL and EDI for the Winter schedule. First available flight to book is now not until 28th March 2021

GrahamK
24th Sep 2020, 06:35
Not much income for the airport this winter then, with. Can they weather the storm?

SWBKCB
24th Sep 2020, 07:18
Not much income for the airport this winter then, with. Can they weather the storm?

What makes you say that? Winter's are never exactly busy.

southside bobby
24th Sep 2020, 09:16
"What makes you say that?"...

Perhaps a £67.665m loan granted in 2012/3 (in comparative better times?) the repayments on which are currently suspended attempting to deal with the current crisis maybe an indicator.

SWBKCB
24th Sep 2020, 09:39
"What makes you say that?"...

Perhaps a £67.665m loan granted in 2012/3 (in comparative better times?) the repayments on which are currently suspended attempting to deal with the current crisis maybe an indicator.

Like most other businesses?

southside bobby
24th Sep 2020, 10:33
Well perhaps...but more the question of that loan in the first instance which itself was to help re-finance a £300m debt.

SWBKCB
24th Sep 2020, 10:56
Again, this is different to other business in what way? Lots of businesses having issues at the moment - doubt whether NCL is in any worse position than any other.

Hipennine
24th Sep 2020, 12:25
Again, this is different to other business in what way? Lots of businesses having issues at the moment - doubt whether NCL is in any worse position than any other.
Not every business has entered the pandemic where it was already losing cash to pay off loans taken out to pay off loans. Eventually that path only leads in one direction.

SWBKCB
24th Sep 2020, 12:41
Not every business has entered the pandemic where it was already losing cash to pay off loans taken out to pay off loans. Eventually that path only leads in one direction.

Thought NCL had made a profit the last 2 years that have been reported?

VickersVicount
24th Sep 2020, 18:16
Would be surprised if EK return at all now. Perhaps a ‘relaunch’ at a later date.

SWBKCB
24th Sep 2020, 19:24
Would be surprised if EK return at all now. Perhaps a ‘relaunch’ at a later date.

Think I've got more chance with preficting this weekends Lottery numbers rather than next years Summer season... :ok:

BAladdy
28th Sep 2020, 19:11
Looks like today’s T3 flight to SOU was the last one. Flights no longer available to book on there website.

Cat Techie
30th Sep 2020, 18:46
Looks like today’s T3 flight to SOU was the last one. Flights no longer available to book on there website.
Correct, better for the other operator of the route then. Not that means much as this winter is going only one way I fear (I really hope not as I am one of those likely to be badly affected, but I am a half glass empty man).

fl dutchman
30th Sep 2020, 19:01
BA, LHR 3 flights tomorrow (Thurs). Then 2/3 flights per day after that for a while. Night stopping aircraft resumes at the end of October. ( All subject to change of course)

GrahamK
30th Sep 2020, 20:01
KLM mainline return Winter schedule, 2 x daily.to start with, 3 x daily.towars the end of November. AF schedule seems to be all over the place. 1 x daily Mid morning E190 planned as it stands

CabinCrewe
1st Oct 2020, 21:33
If EK has indeed ditched EDI- is NCL a bit ‘iffy’ as a suspension rather than outright cancellation?

SWBKCB
1st Oct 2020, 22:02
If EK has indeed ditched EDI- is NCL a bit ‘iffy’ as a suspension rather than outright cancellation?

If, if, if - have you any source? Doubt anything is certain at the moment so why the pointless speculation?

SWBKCB
2nd Oct 2020, 20:19
August Stats on the CAA website - 2020 is 17.44% of 2019 (2020 105k vs 2019 603k)

Asturias56
3rd Oct 2020, 14:47
Whats the difference between a Cancellation and a suspension? they can change their minds on either when things get better

SWBKCB
4th Oct 2020, 11:24
Whats the difference between a Cancellation and a suspension? they can change their minds on either when things get better

Spot on - crystal ball gazing is pointless at the moment.

Jet2 doing some consolidation this morning. PFO being combined with EDI and LCA with LBA originating flights.

Jamesair1
4th Oct 2020, 12:43
A general interpretation would be:-

Cancellation....to terminate permanently

Suspension.....to cease temporarily

ATNotts
4th Oct 2020, 12:52
A general interpretation would be:-

Cancellation....to terminate permanently

Suspension.....to cease temporarily

I can recall many instances down the years where "suspension" was actually marketing-speak for cancellation. Sort of "permanent suspension".

SWBKCB
4th Oct 2020, 12:58
I can recall many instances down the years where "suspension" was actually marketing-speak for cancellation. Sort of "permanent suspension".

Maybe so in "normal" times - in the current circumstances, nobody knows how the market will react over time so either term is pretty meaningless (which I think was the point of previous posts)

ATNotts
4th Oct 2020, 13:31
Maybe so in "normal" times - in the current circumstances, nobody knows how the market will react over time so either term is pretty meaningless (which I think was the point of previous posts)

I agree, routes that were profitable pre-covid ought, once the virus has run it course which Johnson reckons should be Spring next year, have a reasonable chance of making a come back. A lot will depend on which carriers are left by then, and how much they will pull back to their core, most profitable routes. And of course there's the other elephant in the room - Brexit. If there is no deal then business travel may take longer to recover, if if sterling took a hit as a result (of Brexit) foreign holidays could become rather more expensive at a time of what is likely to be (due to Covid) a period of high unemployment and continued recession.

Regional airports may take a long time to recover, perhaps 5 years. The commercial airline and travel industries have probably never experienced such uncertainty for decades, if ever at all.

GAXLN
4th Oct 2020, 17:57
I agree, routes that were profitable pre-covid ought, once the virus has run it course which Johnson reckons should be Spring next year, have a reasonable chance of making a come back. A lot will depend on which carriers are left by then, and how much they will pull back to their core, most profitable routes. And of course there's the other elephant in the room - Brexit. If there is no deal then business travel may take longer to recover, if if sterling took a hit as a result (of Brexit) foreign holidays could become rather more expensive at a time of what is likely to be (due to Covid) a period of high unemployment and continued recession.

Regional airports may take a long time to recover, perhaps 5 years. The commercial airline and travel industries have probably never experienced such uncertainty for decades, if ever at all.

Sadly, it will be a long road back to normality for regional airports given the fleet reductions many carriers have implemented or have still to implement. Regional routes, at the best of times, are pretty marginal so I expect to see consolidation on the larger >10m passenger a year airports and even some of those are facing hard times. You only have to look at Gatwick in that respect. Hopefully, I am wrong and only time will tell what the precise impact is on an airport like Newcastle.

nighthawk117
5th Oct 2020, 10:11
You need to remember that airlines have got rid of a large proportion of their fleet, and the corresponding workforce to operate it. They wont be bouncing back any time soon, regardless of what happens with the virus and the economy.

VentureGo
6th Oct 2020, 09:08

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/eastern-airways-partners-guernseys-aurigny-19055329

https://aviationtribune.com/airlines/europe/aurigny-and-eastern-airways-ink-new-codeshare-agreement/

The above articles would suggest Eastern will resume service between NCL and SOU in the New Year, with codeshare connections to The Channel Islands with Guernsey's Aurigny Air Services.

Interestingly this will compete with Loganair's codeshare with Blue Island's services.

Jamesair1
6th Oct 2020, 11:33
All a bit sad really must be the first time NCL has been without a non stop JERSEY route since at least the BKS days.

HH6702
15th Oct 2020, 10:40
All a bit sad really must be the first time NCL has been without a non stop JERSEY route since at least the BKS days.

could we be about to get jersey back airport Facebook saying new route announcement guess the route

Jamesair1
15th Oct 2020, 15:53
It certainly looks like Jersey to me.......If it is, both Loganair and Eastern seem tied in with interline connection agreements with Blue Islands and Aurigney respectively, both via Sounthampton..........so who could it be???

Jamesair1
15th Oct 2020, 16:08
Solved....it's JET2 operating on SATURDAYS from 22nd May to 25/9.

SWBKCB
15th Oct 2020, 16:22
Emirates back on sale for next summer (I know...)

BAladdy
19th Oct 2020, 02:26
BA have updated schedule for December. They are planning to operate 3 x Daily

GrahamK
28th Oct 2020, 20:53
Jet2 adding Geneva and Salzburg 1 x weekly from mid Dec 21

SHT13C
29th Oct 2020, 04:42
I would just like to voice my disgust at the way both NIAL and Swissport management have treated long serving staff during this pandemic. They have both used this as a cost cutting exercise way beyond the consequences of Covid 19. An example being, the various fat cat managers still prancing around the terminal building, one high up individual even commenting on the Newcastle Spotters Facebook group as if nothing has happened, whilst hard working, long serving, boots on the ground have been savagely cut.

Swissport have cut circa 14 airside supervisors from across 4 departments, to 5 supervisors covering all 4 departments (belts, ramp, cleaning and dispatch). This will massively come back to bite them. The vast experience that they are letting leave cannot be underestimated.

Both companies should get rid of the exorbitant amount of managers that couldn’t organise a p1ss up in a brewery, that are more interested in all of the fluffy non-sense, instead of addressing the alarming lack of new investment in airside infrastructure, an example of which is the yearly sinking of delta taxiway, and the fact that the foxtrot apron tarmac is as thick as two wet beer mats.

GrahamK
29th Oct 2020, 12:25
Nothing new from Tui for W21/22 and S22 it seems

SWBKCB
29th Oct 2020, 14:40
TUI destinations from the Chronicle - says Hurghada is a re-introduction?The Winter 2021/22 destinations are: Lanzarote, Malaga, Alicante, Antalya, Barbados, Hurghada in Egypt, Kittila in Lapland, Gran Canaria, Montego Bay in Jamaica, Paphos, Palma and Tenerife.

The Summer 2022 destinations are: Lanzarote, Malaga, Alicante, Antalya, Bodrum, in Turkey, Corfu, Cancun, Dalaman, Kefalonia, Heraklion, Hurghada in Egypt, Ibiza, Skiathos, Kos, Larnaca, Gran Canaria, Menorca, Orlando Melbourne (Florida), Naples, Enfidha in Tunisia, Paphos, Palma, Reus in Spain, Rhodes, Tenerife and Zakynthos.

GrahamK
29th Oct 2020, 17:25
Hurghada was operating prior to Covid, so I wouldn't class it as new

NCL-TRC
29th Oct 2020, 17:42
I would just like to voice my disgust at the way both NIAL and Swissport management have treated long serving staff during this pandemic. They have both used this as a cost cutting exercise way beyond the consequences of Covid 19. An example being, the various fat cat managers still prancing around the terminal building, one high up individual even commenting on the Newcastle Spotters Facebook group as if nothing has happened, whilst hard working, long serving, boots on the ground have been savagely cut.

Swissport have cut circa 14 airside supervisors from across 4 departments, to 5 supervisors covering all 4 departments (belts, ramp, cleaning and dispatch). This will massively come back to bite them. The vast experience that they are letting leave cannot be underestimated.

Both companies should get rid of the exorbitant amount of managers that couldn’t organise a p1ss up in a brewery, that are more interested in all of the fluffy non-sense, instead of addressing the alarming lack of new investment in airside infrastructure, an example of which is the yearly sinking of delta taxiway, and the fact that the foxtrot apron tarmac is as thick as two wet beer mats.

Here Here, my former team seems like it’s been cut to shreds by Covid’s impact. Yes the virus has done damage to the industry like no one could have imagined but from the things I’ve heard it doesn’t seem like it’s been all that well handled by a lot of the companies at the airport. Suppose the writing was on the wall when one of the incoming senior managers spent more time at his previous airport than he did at NCL just as Corona was starting to hit hard around March.

VentureGo
29th Oct 2020, 22:44
Here Here, my former team seems like it’s been cut to shreds by Covid’s impact. Yes the virus has done damage to the industry like no one could have imagined but from the things I’ve heard it doesn’t seem like it’s been all that well handled by a lot of the companies at the airport. Suppose the writing was on the wall when one of the incoming senior managers spent more time at his previous airport than he did at NCL just as Corona was starting to hit hard around March.

Think you meant "Hear Hear !" https://www.grammarly.com/blog/here-here-vs-hear-hear/
- Also, Before Covid raised it's ugly head, I had serious reservations re, Leon McQuaid and his route development team who promote themselves on the back of successes gained from previous management successes such as Dave Laws Emirates successful negotiations and paving the way for American routes, additional Scandanavian and European links etc... Route Development is sadly defficient at NCL as even loss of past routes would show a significant decline and lack of promotion at NCL under the auspices of McQuid and Co.

Saabdriver1
29th Oct 2020, 23:12
I don't know anything of what happens within the airport, but all I'd say is the relationship between NCL and the airline for which I work is referred to in very positive terms. You don't need many guesses to work out who that is, or to see that the airline can and does act quickly at airports where things aren't working out. NCL is cited as a good example of how to run an airport/airline relationship, and as far as I can tell, that has helped to keep a base open and running for many of our lot in pretty tough times. I won't presume to speak on their behalf, but I'd be surprised if my colleagues whose jobs at NCL depend on this airline/airport relationship, were anything other than supportive.

CabinCrewe
30th Oct 2020, 02:43
...now I doubt if anyone else could offer such ‘straight from the horses mouth’ insight...

AirportPlanner1
4th Nov 2020, 15:54
Iberia Express will operate Gran Canaria & Lanzarote for three weeks over Christmas/New Year

GBYAJ
4th Nov 2020, 21:26
Iberia Express will operate Gran Canaria & Lanzarote for three weeks over Christmas/New Year

wow! In normal circumstances would say great but only last week the airport, Jet2 and TUI were advertising “the Canaries are back” and within days the rug was pulled from under them with dodgy graphs etc! Good luck to all involved.

Derry321
5th Nov 2020, 10:10
- Also, Before Covid raised it's ugly head, I had serious reservations re, Leon McQuaid and his route development team who promote themselves on the back of successes gained from previous management successes such as Dave Laws Emirates successful negotiations and paving the way for American routes, additional Scandanavian and European links etc... Route Development is sadly defficient at NCL as even loss of past routes would show a significant decline and lack of promotion at NCL under the auspices of McQuid and Co.[/QUOTE]

I also have to add my own experience in here - I worked with Leon and the route development and marketing teams at the airport around a series of charter flights for a tour operator a few years ago. By far, the team and NCL were (together with Humberside) the most proactive of any of the many UK airports that were also working with. From the beginning the support that they offered in order to get the programme off the ground through to promotion and launch was superb.

Whilst there are many issues at NCL, from what I have seen personally the competence of the route development and marketing teams is not one of them

tigertanaka
5th Nov 2020, 12:57

Looks like a MAD based aircraft. On their website, you can book MAD-NCL on 26 & 27 December NCL-MAD on the 1st & 2nd of January. Prices look pretty good if any Spaniards fancy a new year break in the Toon.

HH6702
7th Nov 2020, 16:32
Change of airport TUI will be using Melbourne airport rather than Sanford for 2022

highwideandugly
9th Nov 2020, 19:42
Build it..and they will come! Amazing opening hours for the NE premier airport..not!

SWBKCB
9th Nov 2020, 19:49
Build it..and they will come! Amazing opening hours for the NE premier airport..not!

NOTAMed as 05.55 until 23.59 from 04/11 to 31/12. Doesn't seem unreasonable for a COVID winter or have I missed the point?

SWBKCB
10th Nov 2020, 05:52

Seen the latest NOTAM now, which expands on HWU cryptic comment. Revised hours for 9/11 to 15/11:

MON 0555 - 2359
TUE 0555 - 2359
WED 0555 - 1200 AND 1630 - 2230
THU 0555 - 1200 AND 1630 - 2230
FRI 0555 - 1200 AND 1630 - 2230
SAT 0600 - 1200 AND 2030 - 2230
SUN 0600 - 1200 AND 1630 - 2230

highwideandugly
10th Nov 2020, 07:16
I can understand short term closure of the terminal for a month when no flights. Similar to other airports.

I can’t understand however closing an airfield for 4 hours in the middle of the day.

Military,business flights,emergency cover,general aviation,diversions etc. I always thought connectivity and providing a service to the local area was a rather important facet of local airports?

Oh well🤔

SWBKCB
10th Nov 2020, 12:46
Military, business flights, emergency cover, general aviation, diversions etc. I always thought connectivity and providing a service to the local area was a rather important facet of local airports?

Ans like last time, all can be handled with PPR (might be a bit harder for diversions.... :O)

It's not nice out there - need to balance cost saved against income foregone.

SWBKCB
10th Nov 2020, 17:22
Iberia Express, a low-cost airline owned by Iberia, will operate multiple flights to and from Newcastle between the 26th December 2020 and the 3rd January 2021.

https://www.newcastleairport.com/news-and-reporting/latest-news/delight-as-newcastle-airport-welcomes-brand-new-airline/

nighthawk117
11th Nov 2020, 08:25
I can understand short term closure of the terminal for a month when no flights. Similar to other airports.

I can’t understand however closing an airfield for 4 hours in the middle of the day.

Military,business flights,emergency cover,general aviation,diversions etc. I always thought connectivity and providing a service to the local area was a rather important facet of local airports?

Oh well🤔

Why stay open if there are no flights scheduled? Shut the airport and save on the staffing costs.

Not worth staying open on the off chance a military flight wants to come in, and on the off chance they do, they can always arrange cover with a days notice. GA can continue with the airport closed, they just need to treat it as an uncontrolled airfield.

highwideandugly
11th Nov 2020, 11:10
So ..same theory..Should Prestwick close their airfield in between their schedule movements?

LGWAlan
11th Nov 2020, 11:57
Looks like a MAD-NCL-ACE on 26/12, MAD-NCL-LPA on 27/12, ACE-NCL-MAD on 2/1/21 and a LPA-NCL-MAD on 3/1/21

Jamesair1
11th Nov 2020, 14:24
Hopefully this will be the start of more regular operations in the summer. The airport news story certainly suggests Iberia Express as a long term relationship.

GrahamK
12th Nov 2020, 11:37
Santorini showing 1 x weekly from July 2021
Skiathos and Kefallonia also showing on the app but no flights available yet

LBIA
12th Nov 2020, 13:16
Jet2 - 3 new routes from Newcastle for summer 2021

Kefalonia = 1x weekly (Fri) commences July 23rd
Santorini = 1x weekly (Mon) commences July 26th
Skiathos = 1x weekly (Fri) commences May 21st

SWBKCB
17th Nov 2020, 15:42
Jet2 - 3 new routes from Newcastle for summer 2021

Kefalonia = 1x weekly (Fri) commences July 23rd
Santorini = 1x weekly (Mon) commences July 26th
Skiathos = 1x weekly (Fri) commences May 21st

Presumably just new for Jet2 at NCL rather than new to NCL - TUI do Kefalonia and Skiathios, did TCX do Santorini from NCL?

Jamesair1
17th Nov 2020, 16:00
Yes, they did

GrahamK
17th Nov 2020, 17:54
Skiathos and Santorini have been served from NCL since the days of Excel/ Air Scandic/ Various other random carriers that had bases at NCL

Jamesair1
21st Nov 2020, 13:09
Good to read that Loganairs core operations are centred on Scotland and Newcastle

Matt4
24th Nov 2020, 21:32
Looking at Air France website looks like they aren’t coming back until the 01st Feb

Cat Techie
24th Nov 2020, 21:37
Good to read that Loganairs core operations are centred on Scotland and Newcastle

Hope the Vacinnce effects are quick and effective. Newcastle is a winner if Covid disappears for Logan. I do have a vested interest in any plans. However until people wish to jump on aeroplanes and are allowed to, that is the issue.

Asturias56
25th Nov 2020, 06:55
"Hope the Vaccine effects are quick and effective"

It's going to take quite a while - you probably need 60% of the population immunised before the virus transmission goes into serious decline - that's circa 40 million people in the UK - at 1 million a week it'll be September . People may start traveling earlier but you have to have a results at both ends. I'd expect little change in the rules until Easter, when we should start to see infection in the vulnerable start to fall - after that a gradual easing until the feel they can swamp any local flareups - probably around June once the universities disperse