PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - BFS (Aldergrove)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Jamie2k9
30th Nov 2010, 23:51
If EZY do decide to operate BFS - MAN. EZY MAN base couldn't operate it as there is harly any space. I'm not sure if the BFS based aircraft can operate it. If another A319 based is required would be it based in BFS or MAN?? I think EZY may base it in MAN although if they decided to operate BHX as well then BFS would get it. Any thoughts??

david1994
1st Dec 2010, 00:04
From what I have heard from EZY cabin crew if BFS-MAN went ahead then the AGP or ALC will be put back a couple of hours to operate it.

tigger2k8
1st Dec 2010, 00:14
Heard nothing about STN yet from BHD, although theres rumors (yes rumors) that FR are wanting to get back into BHD, perhaps hes realised its a market he should never have left.., as for BFS-MAN, if it happens there are certain days of the week that it could operate without changing flight times, Tues/Wed are 2 days anyway.. but yes, if a BFS a/c is used then the base aircraft that takes out the AGP/ALC will leave a little later to allow an early morning departure, as the early morning domestics are important and wont be changed as they are generally full

gate 22
1st Dec 2010, 06:44
although theres rumors (yes rumors) that FR are wanting to get back into BHD,

The only available route is STN, also BHD handled 39330 aircraft movements during 2009. 48000-39330=8670 =24 flights per day average. Which works out at 12 arrivals / 12 departures per day. FR gone, means 11 less (I think), however around 3 or so extra from NM, 6 or so extra from BE, 8 extra from WW this means around a net gain of 6. So there is only room for 6 or 7 extra returns. However, Bhd being Bhd don't go by any rule book any way, however they do keep sayiing 'we won't be increasing the aircraft movements agreement'. What I am saying is that on paper BHD is now almost at capacity.

victoria73
1st Dec 2010, 10:13
Read on the jet2 thread about them buying B737-800 from Transavia,possible new route to Larnaca from BFS any more news on this or just a rumour?

david1994
1st Dec 2010, 10:26
What I posted on Jet2 thread is not a rumor it is true stuff :ok:

gate 22
1st Dec 2010, 10:50
What I posted on Jet2 thread is not a rumor it is true stuff

But is it a charter on behalf of a tour operator, or will it be an official jet2.com service bookable on the site?

victoria73
1st Dec 2010, 10:50
Good news then,is it gonna be there own flight or tour operator like Olympic asking them to do it for them.Few weeks ago they were looking another carrier to take the place of Eurocypria.

gate 22
1st Dec 2010, 10:52
Tigger,

What is BFS like these days?, now that FR have gone from Bhd, for the moment anyway, are there tumbleweeds still blowing about up there are has there been a noticeable increase in passengers?

BFS101
1st Dec 2010, 11:02
Will there be a number of new routes from Jet2, or just Larnaca?? And will an -800 be based at BFS to operate this route plus the routes currently on sale, or are we still getting our -300's??

David, are you aware of an official announcement being made anytime soon?

david1994
1st Dec 2010, 12:17
Ok it will be an official route. Olympic holidays that used Eurocypria are using Cyprus Airways for the Eurocypria route. And yes there will be an annoucement soon.

tigger2k8
1st Dec 2010, 12:31
What is BFS like these days?, now that FR have gone from Bhd, for the moment anyway, are there tumbleweeds still blowing about up there are has there been a noticeable increase in passengers? oh the tumbleweeds are still about at times, all of the london routes received a jump in bookings once FR left BHD however this could have been people taking advantage of the £10 "rescue" option, will have to see if its more long-term with people switching, as for the LPL and GLA routes, they still seem to be busy enough, even on quieter days.. also the early morning flight (0700 departure) to EDI is doing extremely well this year 140+, most mornings at 156, where as last year they could barely get them half full..... quite surprised actually at how "busy", now when i say busy i mean the numbers are quite good for this time of the year, it has been....

The only hit and miss days would be Tue/Wed which have always been quiet days... believe it or not apart from the days i mention above theres an awful lot of domestics that are going out full, some are even oversold (STN and LGW would be the main ones)... this time last year it was common for flights to be going out with 50 PAX all the time.. unless it was Mon/Fri/Sun

Usually theres a couple of weeks of quiteness between Nov-7th December and then it all kicks off for Christmas with students and families starting to travel home for the holiday, however this quiet period hasnt happened, unless you include the occasional Tue/Wed evening

This is something that came straight from the mouth of someone reasonably important at BFS. Just a waiting game i guess

We are committed to finding a replacement carrier to operate the routes
bmibaby have vacated and will step up our discussions with all airlines
in order to reactivate these services to Manchester and Birmingham.If you do want to see some tumbleweeds the best viewing time is between 1000-1400 Mon-Fri

BFS101
1st Dec 2010, 13:02
Tigger, any official response from the airport regarding the contentious £1 drop-off fee. Has this been as successful as they had hoped, is traffic movement through the contraflow system efficient, and are vehicles continuing to park and wait on the sides of the roads within and leading up to the airport???

tigger2k8
1st Dec 2010, 13:50
Tigger, any official response from the airport regarding the contentious £1 drop-off fee. Has this been as successful as they had hoped, is traffic movement through the contraflow system efficient, and are vehicles continuing to park and wait on the sides of the roads within and leading up to the airport???Successful in controlling traffic flow, yes. However people still miss the million signs warning of charges and reverse down the 1 way system or do a U-turn, all to avoid £1, not only is this stupid, but its dangerous and its only a matter of time until someone is hurt. Thankfully theres no longer and cars parked from the roundabout at the long-stay to Checkpoint 1, as they have put barriers up and removed the hard-shoulder, but people still park further up, as they always have done so.

There was a lot of "rage" about the £1, but to be honest, theres still plenty of cars going up that way, i think people finally realised, its only £1.. but theres still the odd 1 or 2 out there.. as for revenue it produces, id love to see that figure, it honestly wouldnt surprise me if they get £3000 a day out of it, considering EZY alone carries roughly 8500-12000 per day (thats including arrivals and depatures by the way) depending on the day of the week

gate 22
4th Dec 2010, 08:31
Well have bmi baby got away with their move, ie will BFS fail to secure an operator to BHX/MAN and let all the battles for these routes be carried out at BHD. EZY would normally have had a quick response-nothing. BE filled the gaps left by FR within a week. BFS have a wonderful ability not securing airlines or routes. They have had to new routes in recent times Galway and Iceland. Galway has already been lost to Bhd just months after starting.

Facelookbovvered
4th Dec 2010, 10:36
Gate 22

Don't understand your point here in terms of "got away with their move" one assumes that their contract allows (baby) to leave and move down the road, as to whether it is the right move for baby, then i guess time will tell, i can't see much prospect of another operator back filling BHX or EMA, what would be the point? i understood loads from both airports to BFS were marginal and the EMA route nose dived after Ryanair started ops from BHD, whilst I'm sure they will have picked up again now Ryanair have pulled off the BHD route? if baby stayed with BFS the same thing could happen if some one else started BHD or Flybe used a bigger aircraft?

I suspect that there are fewer than a 100 people a day who need to fly to BFS rather than use BHD, whilst the figure at BHD seems far higher, time will tell.

What impact will it have on baby's handling agents at BFS in terms of jobs?

tigger2k8
4th Dec 2010, 11:02
Last I heard, Servisair is planning between 8-16 redundancies, this covers PAX Services / Ramp / Dispatchers... no doubt relocation to BHD will be offered, but its not always an option for some.. this may change depending on who fills the routes although to be honest, Servisair is slightly overstaffed as it is..

Gate 22, be patient.. takes time to get routes sorted and fee's agreed on then you have to wait for the Spanish owners to muck it up, whilst it may appear some routes get replaced quickly, theres planning and discussions well before they are announced or on sale... after all before the LTN moved it was known about a month before hand by some

gate 22
4th Dec 2010, 15:45
"got away with their move"

I meant to slip out of BFS go down the road and nobody moves into BFS. If an operator comes into to offer say MAN from BFS then one airline will dissappear of that route down at BHD.

Facelookbovvered
4th Dec 2010, 22:47
Just been checking Flybe website and baby website to see flight timings and prices before and after the baby switch, the baby website is showing the change over date to BHD from the 1st of Jan 2011, i could have sworn that it was mid Jan before?

Last flight from BFS to EMA showing 15:30 31/12/2010

First flight from BHD to EMA 2nd Jan 2011 looks like two flights a day (no early rotation) for first week then 3 a day there after

True Blue
4th Dec 2010, 23:04
I can understand what Gate 22 is saying. Tigger I think said that it can be known what an airline is going to do maybe weeks before it is announced to the public. From this, I assume that Bhd would have known for maybe a few weeks that Fr were going to leave Bhd. They, Bhd, appear to have used that time well so that only a few days after the Fr announcement, they were able to announce that Flybe was taking over the routes.

Re WW, I also assume that Bfs would have known for a few days, maybe weeks, that WW was moving to Bhd. The question is, why is Bfs not able to move at the same speed as Bhd in getting a new operator sorted? Whether Ezy or Ls take over say Man, both airlines already operate at both airports. So there should not be much to talk about re prices. No airport is that full at the moment that slots could not be found quickly. An aircraft would be needed, but other flights can be changed if the airline really wants the route.

One question, would Bfs - Man damage Bfs - Lpl for Easy?

My impression is that at the minute Bfs management are struggling to get routes up and running. If the problem is in Spain, then this needs to be sorted.

True Blue

jetstreamtechrecords
5th Dec 2010, 08:56
its the :mad:paella queens. Over borrowed to buy airports in the boom so this year chopped back everything to save cash. Stupid :mad: chopped in half the route development side too:{ Same thing at CWL - same Spanish owner - chopping everything to save cash and any decision costing more than a fiver gets refered to Spain on a memo in triplicate: Its not the local boys fault but all power now rests in Spain and all decisions take twice as long.

Aaron9890
5th Dec 2010, 13:46
Have heard rumors that easyjet are to start flights to madrid next summer, seems like a good idea to me

Aaron9890
5th Dec 2010, 13:50
something i would like too ask is do any of the below still fly too Belfast, it still has these on the BFS wikipedia page and i haven't seen any arrivals or departures from this on the BFS website all year

Austrian Airlines
operated by Tyrolean Airways †
Seasonal: Innsbruck

Iberworld † Seasonal: Faro

Nouvelair † Seasonal: Monastir

tigger2k8
5th Dec 2010, 16:28
edit - nevermind my reply.. they did operate in 2010 im almost certain i saw them in once or twice, however i cant confirm.. for next year... ill try and find out for definate:ugh:

victoria73
6th Dec 2010, 18:58
Austrian airlines still do the weekly ski flight to Innsbruk in on saturdays.

Amelia Earhart
7th Dec 2010, 10:39
Guys there's no craic on this forum anymore since you and BHD went your separate ways. Normally an announcement like yesterday's lifting of the passenger cap at BHD would have sparked a riot but I log on this morning to find nothing, not a word about it. How disappointing.

Anyway, does anyone round here have a sinking feeling, a notion that before too long BHD may have stolen your crown and may be the biggest airport in the North, and that if BFS wants to see what is in store it should cast its eyes towards the northwest and behold LDY?

gate 22
7th Dec 2010, 11:00
Guys there's no craic on this forum anymore since you and BHD went your separate ways. Normally an announcement like yesterday's lifting of the passenger cap at BHD would have sparked a riot but I log on this morning to find nothing, not a word about it. How disappointing.

Anyway, does anyone round here have a sinking feeling, a notion that before too long BHD may have stolen your crown and may be the biggest airport in the North, and that if BFS wants to see what is in store it should cast its eyes towards the northwest and behold LDY?

At worse from the BFS point of view air passenger numbers will probably become 50/50 between the 2 airports. If the runway extension goes ahead then some euro routes will begin in earnest from BHD. However BFS is quite close to Belfast, unlike Prestwick, and BFS is centrally located within NI - both airports have advantages. What will happen is that the airlines will use the situation to get the best deal.

Having said all that the lift in the cap and the public enquiry have been introduced to avoid a legal battle with planning service and BHD (no money in the pot). The planning service apparently cannot provide any legal argument against not lifting the cap. What will probably happen now is that the lift in the cap will be challenged by either BFS or a residents group.

tigger2k8
7th Dec 2010, 12:07
i think we all knew that BHD would get its passenger cap lifted eventually, however they cant make full use of that cap with their current facilities.. unless flight timings change... id hate to see parts of the terminal if numbers increase.. but IKEA is in a spot that would have been a great place to expand

BFS will always be there as an operational airport for PAX/Cargo flights, unless BHD can expand enough for 4.5-5m extra passengers, a large cargo operation and be able to cope with upto 20 night-stopping aircraft during summer, including day-stopping cargo A300/767 aircraft

Each airport has its advantages and disadvantages... while so think there should only be 1 airport, 2 are required for the above reasons, BHD alone couldnt handle the above on top of their own passengers and flights, while BFS could handle BHDs work-load, it would take away the whole "direct to Belfast City" business appeal

NorthernCounties
7th Dec 2010, 13:24
In my view, the DRD need to get their finger out and improve the road between BFS and the M2, as well as reinstating the circular line that runs by the airport. It would be lovely to see BFS get a terminal similar to ORK or the Dublins T2!

Aaron9890
7th Dec 2010, 18:15
Larnaca (Begins May 2011),

Route put up on wikipedia

just as david1994 said

clareview
7th Dec 2010, 19:05
Unfortunately this will not happen given the present economic pressures and the need for government to cut. I noticed recently that the railway from Lisburn to Antrim which runds close to BFS has had a bridge over the road removed near Lisburn, thus adding more cost to reinstatement.

What BFS needs is to compete in the market to attract more operators and routes - it is getting more and more reliant on Easy. Why did bmi move, why did baby move, why did BA pull out, why has EI not expanded in the way that was envisaged - is it down to BFS costs making marginal routes untenable?

Jamie2k9
7th Dec 2010, 19:14
Larnaca (Begins May 2011),

Route put up on wikipedia

just as david1994 said

Although not bookable yet. Jet2 are not increasing BFS services. They are dropping TFS on April 29 to operate it.

Easyjet had reduced flights between BFS - IBZ. Will only operate once weekly now. It was twice weekly.

victoria73
7th Dec 2010, 19:35
The reason Bmi baby are moving down to BCA is because they were offered a good deal.BCA panicked because they caught on that BMI were on the verdge of bringing there hole operation back to BFS so they jumped in and offered to let baby land at BCA for free they didnt want to lose there LHR so offered them that deal its what some people would say an airport in desperation.

EI-BUD
7th Dec 2010, 20:09
What BFS needs is to compete in the market to attract more operators and routes - it is getting more and more reliant on Easy. Why did bmi move, why did baby move, why did BA pull out, why has EI not expanded in the way that was envisaged - is it down to BFS costs making marginal routes untenable?

Hi Clareview,

Firstly, I think many have commented on this thread that NI is a limited market and the cake is only so big so any increase or surge in new services effectively carves up the business and many of the existing services would suffer.

Bmi moved at the end of 2001. Just prior to that 9/11 happened and the axe finally fell on BAs BFS LHR Operation, which they said for a long time was significantly loss making. bmi moving to my mind was the 1st big loss for BFS to BHD. Manx Airlines had operated BHD LHR some years earlier on a 4 daily 146 operation in each direction, so bmi had an idea as to how good the yield was on this route. In addition, I can imagine that BHD needed to give significant discounts to woo them over. In addition at that time BFS had now got Go and EZY with a lot of competition in the market, as well as that BFS was getting a range of new European routes that would have been an alternative to London as a leisure destination so in many ways I feel that Bmi would have seen BHD as a safer environment away from some of this competition.

For reasons already stated bmibaby moved, suggestion is that bmibaby will get massive cut in charges. When this type of info gets out it would seem that Flybe will be able to ask for the same deal. But perhaps the deal will be cuts on LHR (which no other airline operates) and standard rate on the bmibaby services.

I cant see BFS getting much let up on the rate of loss of routes to BHD hate to say it as BFS is my local airport, BFS is becoming like the PIK of Glasgow. However, on the up side, BHD has a limiting factor in space, opening hours and runway all of which may be a life line for BFS.

EI-BUD

Jamie2k9
7th Dec 2010, 22:58
Passenger aircraft -
Scheduled Domestic flights - 2010 - £8.00 - 2011 charges - £8.35
All other passenger aircraft - £12.00 - 2011 charges - £12.50
Diversions - 2010 - £16.00 - 2011 charges - £17.00

Terminal Departing Passenger -
Domestic - 2010 - £10.75 - 2011 charges - £11.25
International - 2010 - £13.50 - 2011 charges - £14.10

Airbridge Charge - 2010 - £0.55 - 2011 charges - £0.60

Landing Fees and Charges - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/content/8/182/landing-fees-and-charges.html)

That may of helped BmiBaby on their way to BHO. It seems that it is cheeper to fly from Dublin. The DAA haven't relased the 2011 charges but the 2010 at Dublin is still cheeper than BFS.

Belfast needs to have two different runway charges for the summer and winter just like Dublin. It is very expencive for Terminal Departing Passengers compared to Dublin.
Airport Charges (http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/about-us/airport-charges/airport-charges.aspx)

Aaron9890
7th Dec 2010, 23:13
What bfs need is a new owner, I don't think the spanish have a clue how to look after it

Jamie2k9
7th Dec 2010, 23:36
BFS should be a lot cheaper to fly to than Dublin.

With airlines having to pay high airport charges and £12 travel tax it makes BFS unattractive for airlines to fly there when they can pay cheaper charges at Dublin and €3 travel tax and it's only 2hours 30mins away by car as well as a good bus services and train services.

I don't blame Easyjet, Jet2 and Aer Lingus for not expanding operations at BFS.

gate 22
8th Dec 2010, 00:16
What bfs need is a new owner, I don't think the spanish have a clue how to look after it

If this all true - then it all starts to make sense. Why are they running it into the ground?

BFS101
8th Dec 2010, 09:55
Regarding Jet2, was TFS ever on-sale for the summer? Was a rotation purposely left unfilled from BFS for the Larnaca to be fitted in later, or will this addition result in a capacity reduction to another destination? And is the 738 to be based at BFS to add capacity to the other jet2 destinations that was to be served by 733, or will it be solely used on the LCA?

tigger2k8
8th Dec 2010, 09:58
EZYs BFS-IBZ has always been 1 flight per week, atleast in the last 2 years, unless it was different this year in the booking system.. EZY is starting MLA and theres rumors of MAD and MAN, how these turn out, who knows.. but if true, id call that expanding, even if its just the MLA that runs

EI isn't expanding because of their money issues, although they are starting LPA.. now that they are recovering it wont be long.. if the market has recovered enough they may keep 3 based a/c at BFS like they used to during winter

Victoria is right, BMI was in discussions with BFS about moving their operations to BFS.. which resulted in a "deal" with bmibaby from BHD, which would have been stupid to turn down

The charges are not much, to be honest it was rumored to be more than the posted.. but now that the terminal is in a better shape airlines will probably shrug off the increase as its slowly turing into value for money.... LHRs fee increase will more than likely impact BFS-LHR and BHD-LHR as theres a change of £7-10 more last i heard in tax alone.

Yes, Abertis did make the airport unattractive for so many years, but now that they are actually improving facilities, i think they have realised.. lets hope its not too late

gate 22
8th Dec 2010, 10:48
EZY is starting MLA and theres rumors of MAD and MAN,

I hope they do start Madrid, but I just wonder if someone has seen MAN and confused it for MAD.

Aaron9890
8th Dec 2010, 18:36
I think Madrid would get the numbers up, i mean its the capital of Spain. It is a city i would love to see thats for sure

EI-BUD
8th Dec 2010, 19:31
Just reading comments about MAD, I travel to Madrid about three times a year and always have to go Via GB or Dublin, I would be thrilled, but I cant see it working. Rome is questionable and in these times I am not sure that new markets like Madrid will be easy to develop.

EI-BUD

Tower Ranger
9th Dec 2010, 01:55
There are plenty of folks on this thread who go MAD many more times a year LOL!!

True Blue
9th Dec 2010, 14:44
I see Jet2 has changed times to Lba for S11. First flight now operates ex Bfs with Bfs based aircraft, evening now operates ex Lba with Lba based aircraft. This is the opposite to what had been planned. Any ideas why or if other changes have been made?

TB

gate 22
9th Dec 2010, 15:32
I see Jet2 has changed times to Lba for S11. First flight now operates ex Bfs with Bfs based aircraft, evening now operates ex Lba with Lba based aircraft. This is the opposite to what had been planned. Any ideas why or if other changes have been made?

I think I read somewhere that the Leeds base needed the aircraft free first thing in the morning for other Leeds commitments.

Aaron9890
9th Dec 2010, 21:12
Does anyone know who the flights to Lapland are for? Is it for a charity or I it a charter flight

tigger2k8
9th Dec 2010, 22:11
I think its a tour company, operates every year I think...as far as I know its bookable by anyone who wants to go, will try and find out what operator it is

Just to highlight how the Spanish have messed up so much the following airlines have been interested in BFS over the last few years:

Emirates
Delta
Air Canada

The interest is there, just the Spanish getting in the way

ILS25
9th Dec 2010, 22:53
No doubt if the Spanish continues to run BFS the way they are it will be closed within 5 years. They mess up, lose business and then make cuts, lose more business and make more cuts. They may have "spruced up" parts of the terminal but the infrastructure is falling apart.

The cables that were damaged between the main apron and the baggage hall a few weeks ago are still dangling like a washing line, heavy cables that have now stretched and soon will be damaged beyond use and will need replaced.

The neon sign that, when lit at night, reads " Welcome To Belfa " and has done for nearly 3 months remains the same. What sort of impression does that give passengers and airlines.

These are just a couple of things that are clearly visable to the general public, that anyone can see. Can you imagine what it's like beaneath the surface.

The airport needs 10's of millions spent on it to bring it up to any sort of decent standard. The spanish will never spend that sort of money, they will however squeeze every penny thay can out of the place and spend as little as they possibly can.

God forbid, but if they do not catch themselves on and start bringing the place up to scratch somethings going to give.

tigger2k8
9th Dec 2010, 23:01
Believe it or not the damage under the pier is just a fire cable and metal holders, those heavy duty cables are apparently undamaged, they look stretched but are not, its only due to the metal supports not being there now and the shape the cables were packed. The delay in fixing is apparently insurance

The sign has been like that since the queens visit. And the runway resurfacing cost is increasing as time goes on

ards_boy
9th Dec 2010, 23:11
Could do with another management buy out!

Jamie2k9
13th Dec 2010, 23:40
Aer Lingus announce new flights between Dublin and Turkey (Izmir) from May 4 2011.

Kavs8
14th Dec 2010, 10:07
Wrong forum i suspect....

Aaron9890
16th Dec 2010, 13:20
Over on the BHD forums BMI baby announced flights to Stansted, what do we have on this forum? nothing! For being an international airport it is disappointing that new routes aren't being announced. Still waiting for news on MAD from EZY doesn't seem like its going to happen

tigger2k8
16th Dec 2010, 13:32
To be honest we will probably not hear anything from BFS with new routes until its cleared with the spanish, and that's a lengthly process and also the fact that Abertis has cut funding for route development doesn't help, unlike BHD who can arrange and setup within a month with new routes due to a more powerful local management

a quick update on 2 things from recently...

EZY have now said that BFS-MLA will work with an A319 with a full load, however the number of infants/babies may cause issues... Could be minor disruption with bags not travelling, but nothing as bad as they originally thought (capping flights at 120/130 PAX).. Strong headwinds or bad weather could however cause fuel diversions.

To the person who asked about the impact of WW moving to BHD on handling staff it has emerged that Servisair staff will have to reapply for their jobs

Husky One
16th Dec 2010, 18:57
Malta will only work with a full load on a 68T airframe - which in Easyjet are like rocking horse sh*t. Even then they might have to offload the odd bag. Given that last summer they couldn't even manage a PMI with any certainty due to the deployment of 64T aircraft I'd say there is trouble ahead. That makes the assumption that anybody actually wants to go to Malta though.

gate 22
16th Dec 2010, 19:50
Malta and Iceland what a great year 2011 is going to be

victoria73
16th Dec 2010, 20:54
The only reason why Bmibaby moved there operation o Bhd was because of the deal they got to land free basically Bhd are paying them to be there its also the only reason why Ryr was there as well all the airlines that have went to Bhd went for just one reason and thats free landing.when an airport goes to that lenght then it has problems short fixed subsudies are not the answer.Bfs has lost some routes all airports lose routes and get knew ones thats the way it goes but you dont see them begging airlines offfering free deels to get them to land at there airport.what would have happened if Bmi had of moved all there operation to aldergrove you would have had nothing and went with your begging hat in hand to Ezy and Fly be who they have now rubbed ther noses in it with there scheming once Baby starts paying there way you will see a different airline the germans wont keep throwing money on something that really is useless.

Timed~Out
16th Dec 2010, 21:12
victoria73 - I can only assume you are in senior management going by the amount of crap you spout? Either that or still in primary school perhaps?:confused:

Rinty
16th Dec 2010, 21:21
Timed~Out - agreed

cuthere
16th Dec 2010, 21:21
Perhaps a good time to highlight a recent post from the Moderators of this forum:

A word on post legibility/readability.

When making a contribution to a public forum it is incumbent upon each of us to do so in as clear a manner as possible. Failure to do so is indicative of a lazy disregard for ones fellow PPRuNers and is both rude and inconsiderate.

Some specific examples of poor post construction are:
- Sentence fragments
- Failure to utilize Commas and Full Stops (Periods)
- Omitting the use of the Shift key to capitalize where appropriate
- Poor (to the point of being unreadable) sentence construction.
- Run-on sentences
- Horrific spelling
- Use of text-speak

The Mods have no intention or desire to be the grammar or spelling police. However, a downward trend in post quality and complaints about such have inspired this request to all PPRuNers to take a little more time and care in crafting your posts.

Lets keep it professional.

Thanks,
The Mods

Facelookbovvered
16th Dec 2010, 21:23
I doubt very much that BHD are giving baby a free ride, i suspect that the Germans wanted to get their operations under one roof just has they have at EDI,GLA & MAN.

As for been useless, I'm not sure where your coming from on that front, they are still here and all the signs are that they are getting their ducks in a line.

If you are upset for BFS then fair enough,but airlines have to make a choice just as passengers can, BHD will never replace BFS and the planning restrictions prevent wide body aircraft even if the runway was long enough or future aircraft could get off it, so it will remain the international airport.

I suspect that it will become a full time base for baby in due course if only to reduce night stop costs.

I say good on them, we need more not less airlines and baby/bmi will be a better partner than Ryanair for BHD

tigger2k8
17th Dec 2010, 11:52
Free fee's, I doubt it, heavily discounted compared to BFS, yes. Its easier to operate under 1 roof, as anytime a bmibaby went tech at BFS they had to bring in an engineer from BHD... There was a time not long ago when BMI was wanting to move its LHR to BFS..

The snow has been crazy at BFS, worst snow I have seen in a long time, was sitting in the DHL last night, airport said 45mins to clear the freight apron, as soon as they cleared one lane it was white 5 minutes later... How they got the runway cleared enough for the LGW and NCL to take off round midnight I don't know, but well done... 1 EZY turnaround cancelled, AMS diverted to MAN and the 2 EIs went to DUB

victoria73
17th Dec 2010, 13:49
tigger can you see anything new being annouced from Bfs anytime soon.Heard from someone who works for serviceair of a possible announcement Toronto next year.The snow was bad the runway was completly clear at 6pm seems the white star was lucky getting away at after 6.

tigger2k8
17th Dec 2010, 15:00
Victoria, its all rumors to be honest, but with the cuts to the route development scheme I wouldn't count on much, still early yet.

All EZY cancelled, some EI operating from DUB, TCX operating from DUB and WW no decision yet, with more snow on the way...

Jamie2k9
18th Dec 2010, 22:07
Do Travel Service/Smartwings still operate chartered flights out of BFS.

david1994
18th Dec 2010, 23:13
Smart Wings are operating Tenerife again next summer :ok:

Jamie2k9
18th Dec 2010, 23:17
Is that all?

tigger2k8
19th Dec 2010, 01:06
2 BE's + 1 MANX2 sitting in BFS from BHD.. almost a 777 (not sure where this ended up going) and a BA 747 diverted in, as BFS was the only airport their diversion fuel would allow by the time they reached the UK that was open and had the runway and space, although they had enough to divert to Reykjavik (RKV) and went there instead..

flying officer kite
19th Dec 2010, 10:02
would be nice to see some widebodies at BFS again, and Tigger, i think you mean KEF, not RKV (it only has runways upto 5000ft)

Jamie2k9
19th Dec 2010, 10:40
A Delta B777 diverted to Dublin earlier this morning.

tigger2k8
19th Dec 2010, 11:14
In that case it probably was, I had just heard Reykjavik and that was it

Jamie2k9
19th Dec 2010, 11:17
Does anyone know why Aer Lingus BFS - ACE was diverterd to ORK this morning. It has since departed ORK.

The ORK - ACE flight yesterday was cancelled and would it of being to get some of the ORK passengers out to ACE on the BFS flight. Does anybody know how many were on the flight out of BFS.

The return flight is also due to stop off in ORK.

victoria73
19th Dec 2010, 12:04
The B747 that was going to divert to BFS landed in Reykjavick instead, the B777 that was coming decided in last minute not to come none of the handling agents believe it or not didnt have a tow bar to push the aircraft.The loads on the Aer lingus flights at minute are not very good probably reason for the diversion into ORK fill the aircraft.

Jamie2k9
19th Dec 2010, 12:07
Is that loads on all EI routes from BFS?? (except LHR)

tigger2k8
19th Dec 2010, 13:01
Since the snow had started falling passenger numbers have had a dip for obvious reasons, even before BFS had to close due to the snow, some people simply couldn't make it to the airport, this has lead to a drop in PAX since the snow started EI is probably carrying 70-120 PAX on its sun routes, bearing in mind that the 1st-14th Dec is generally a quiet period... i was driving on the roads to/from the airport last night at around 3am, and i would say a lot of people for this mornings flight didnt travel or arrive in time, if the A/C had signicant space then it was a smart move to stop and pick more people up..as for LHR, its performing well, when it can get out.

Victoria, i dont think we have ever had a B777 in BFS and none of the 2 handling agents have contracts with any airlines which operates a scheduled B777 flight to BFS... i would say a B777 is the only tow-bar not in BFS as Servisair have a huge selection including a 707... a 767 tow-bar could have been used, which servisair have, but the shear pin is too weak, so i dont think it would have been possible to perform turns, especially in the near ice-rink conditions of the apron.. menzies only handle 737/A319/A320 .. any EI 330's that get diverted a tow-bar is borrowed, same with the occasional summer MD80 they handle

victoria73
19th Dec 2010, 13:16
Yes we have had a B777 diverted in before a few years ago a Canadian airlines dropped in unexpectantly it was in early before the freighters came in turned around the area of stand 28 and 29 faced south so just could taxi off.the loads on the Aerlingus have been low for past month at least but i think its always been like that coming up to christmas.The loads on some EZY flights to places like spain and portugal have been low for past few weeks as well.heard little rumour again about EZY putting an airbus320 to BFS.

tigger2k8
19th Dec 2010, 13:59
Cant remember that one, the only reason it was probably accepted was due to the room to move the aircraft without a tug, unlike last night when only 2 stands available by the end of the night, 16 and 22.

All the sun routes take a dip until about a week before christmas, unfortunately theres a lot of flights cancelled which would have been close to capacitity..

Ah the A320 rumor, last time i heard it was being thought about was when they thought the A319 wouldnt reach MLA with a full load of PAX+BAGS.. however i have heard nothing since then

victoria73
19th Dec 2010, 14:19
Over heard some EZY crew discussing the airbus320 coming plus they also are bringing in a few more pilots must be for the summer months.

tigger2k8
19th Dec 2010, 14:23
I think after the mess of crew problems during Summer 2010 they know they need more staff, there is a group of new EZY staff starting in BFS between March and May 2011, as far as im aware

eastern wiseguy
19th Dec 2010, 22:42
Tigger

i dont think we have ever had a B777 in BFS

I seem to recall the last time Blair and Bush were in EGAA that Blair left on a BA 777 to go to Mexico....mind you I also seem to recall it was parked in such a way that it taxiied straight out with no push required.

richardnei
20th Dec 2010, 08:43
Yes Thats correct. From what i remember the aircraft was parked on stands 26 + 27 but nose out as no tow bar!

True Blue
20th Dec 2010, 08:54
will anyone have the sense to go get one now? or just prefer to lose out on possible diverts. Suppose it's so busy up there , not much point worrying about not getting some diverts to deal with.

TB

corsaman
20th Dec 2010, 08:58
If I recall correctly, on 11/09/01, a Seattle-bound BA 777 diverted to BFS and sat for several days. My then-BA colleagues handled it.

tigger2k8
20th Dec 2010, 10:17
True Blue, i doubt it... Servisair isnt exactly in spending mode right now, they are in the process of making staff redundant, as they have to reapply for their jobs.. as for Menzies, cant see it happening as they only handle 737s (EZY, extremely rare sight though.. infact i think theres been 2 since the A319 fleet came to BFS) and A319/A320s... even BAH dont have one either... if someone gets a contract for an airline with a 777 thats a scheduled service one will appear... until then i cant see it happening... they had thought of using Delta to park the 777 on, but it had not been cleared of snow and would have taken too long

Diversions is extra revenue, and the airport was eager to get both the 777 and the 747 in for obvious reasons, but when you have 3 diverts from BHD that nightstopped and a couple of private jets, there just wouldn't have been the room for a 777 or 747.. because whatever stand they used (would have been 22 no doubt) would be out of action until they could get a tow-bar in the case of the 777.. and with the CO 757 due in just after 0800..

corsaman, did you guys have a tow-bar for it, or was it parked so it could do without a pushback?

corsaman
20th Dec 2010, 12:01
Not sure Tigger, I'd just arrived home from my early shift when it all kicked off, and I was off for 4 days, by which time it had gone. Most widebody diversions we got back then seemed to park remotely, and be able to taxy away. Any other ex BFS BA staff out there?

Tower Ranger
20th Dec 2010, 14:29
I could be wrong but I thought that the Seattle flight that diverted was the BA038 and it was a 747, The only reason I remember it at all is because it was the flight that I was going out of Heathrow on 3 weeks later.

corsaman
20th Dec 2010, 16:15
I think it was the BA49, back then, again can't be sure as my timetables are in the roofspace, and it's far too cold to get them at the minute!

Jamie2k9
20th Dec 2010, 17:23
BFS expected to take some diverted flights from Dublin. Currently a SAS floght form Copenhagen has diverted.

dog in park
20th Dec 2010, 17:23
See Jet2 having a wee stopover at BHD
Maybe the sign of things to come???:E
Anyway good luck to all at BFS and have a great Christmas and a peaceful new year
Dog in park

Ps Tigger only joking I know they wont move

flying officer kite
20th Dec 2010, 21:01
I guess it doesnt work quite so well with a sudden diversion, but Servisair used to ship tow bars up from other airports, at the customers expense of course. I remember playing with a massive contraption that was for a DC-8, think it came on the back of a van from Dublin or Shannon.

Ive even seen aircraft push back from stand, engines already started, tow bar disconnected, rear hold opened and the tow bar thrown inside.

On another note good to see a Jet2 in BHD again :D

Aaron9890
20th Dec 2010, 22:09
QS 9734 Exeter 09:20 Departure
OS 1431 Vienna 08:35 Arrival

What are smart wings and austrian airlines doing at bfs?

is austrian airlines being diverted

tigger2k8
21st Dec 2010, 00:15
flying officer kite, i would say servisair would have went to the hassel of getting a tow-bar brought in if they were going to handle it, but they refused as they had diversions and extra cargo flights on a Saturday night, when theres minimal staff on station... that left Menzies, who were willing to handle it and had arranged to borrow equipment from BAH.. servisair obviously wouldnt go to that hassel to help a competitor, by the time they could have got a tow bar in, there would have been nowhere for the CO 757, as the roads where terrible, a tiny bit of internal politics going on at the minute too as Menzies is stepping on their toes

a tow bar is still flown in with the AN-12s that come in from time to time, pushback is complete, towbar broken down into 2 and threw in the rear hold, however engines are not started.. pushback + start up for the AN-12s that come to BFS is 20 minutes.. so pray you aren't ready to go when ones sitting behind you.. as they are sometimes parted on the commerical apron...

bfsalphaone
21st Dec 2010, 05:35
"refused as they had diversions and extra cargo flights "

Think you have duff info there tigger.....
More of an operational decision from the Airport Authority & BA Ops

gate 22
21st Dec 2010, 09:26
It all makes sense now. Reading the CWL thread for years now we can see what the future of BFS is. Basically from an observers point of view CWL airport seems to serve quite a large population and a British regional Capital city, yet all the airlines bar WW use BRS airport across the estuary. Now I know that BRS serves probably a larger population however I have always found it hard to believe that CWL cannot attract a few more carriers. There is talk on the CWL thread of the owners falling out with airlines left right and centre etc and the airport seems to be slowly dying.
BFS cannot even hold onto carriers it has dedicated at the airport. The airport itself has a long runway, no restrictions is located not that far from Belfast City Centre and situated right in the middle of the population centre of NI.
There must be some sort of major problem with their owners and their handling of both CWL and BFS. They also own LTN, the Belfast to Luton service operates out of BHD even although the NI operations of the carrier are based at BFS.
As numbers keep falling, facilities, then more carriers and thus more passengers will keep moving away.
Certainly if their are no major announcements in the very near future then it's looking very bleak-is the problem the owners?

EI-BUD
21st Dec 2010, 09:44
gate22; you make a lot of valid points in your post. I am seeing the parallel between us here in Belfast and the Cardiff/Bristol situation as you mention it.

However, the real question is if all things been equal ie prices frequency and all of that which airport ie BHD or BFS would attract the better numbers? It is hard to use stats to explain this as the data is skewed by things like Ryanair's operations and the sheer numbers that they were carrying.

I live close to BFS and it is my local airport, I do like BHD but I have been feeling that BFS is becoming the PIK of BFS but more recently I feel that BHD has went out on a limb to attract as much of BFS operators, and for reasons other than the attractiveness of BHD as a city airport bmibaby and Easyjet have been attracted to it.

bmibaby will regret their move. Flybe wont yield, and WW will bleed and if another operator comes to BFS MAN and BHX WW will not stick it. There is no appetite within the wider LH group for WW to lose money or invest in cut price activity to win market share. As for STN does anyone see WW carrying more than Air Berlin on the Stansted route? My prediction would be 8000/9000 pax per month. Dont see that lasting more than a year.

Easyjet will in the fullness of time will move LTN back and BHD is not the ideal airport for EZY ops long terms given curfew and runway etc.

Prior to FRs arrival at BHD their figures were in decline, and BFS was growing slightly.

Now since FR came in BHD has had a real confidence that they have the upper hand and lets face it BFS have most to loose as traditionally they had the bigger operation.

BFS need to have a sense of confidence about the attracting new operators. They should at this time be giving an airline the deal of the century on the lost routes, ie MAN CWL BHX EMA a deal on these routes only to bring this business back and hurt BHD. Jet2 given the right deal I believe would stimulate demand and restore the level of Jet2 operations from BFS.

tigger2k8
21st Dec 2010, 10:36
"refused as they had diversions and extra cargo flights "bfsalphaone, you left out a key word from what i said in that sentence, servisair refused to handle it as they didnt have enough staff available, they were asked first about handling it for obvious reasons, hence why i said i couldn't see them going to the bother of trying to get a tow bar brought up from somewhere since they weren't handling it... yes the final decision was down to the airport as they didn't want an aircraft taking up a prime stand that could not be pushed back in time for the CO arriving.. if servisair had accepted it and could get a towbar brought up in time, id have said it would have landed

duff information? i think not

True Blue
21st Dec 2010, 10:50
Saw an article in the Sunday Times last Sunday re a possible bid for the owners of Bfs, Ltn etc. Things do not seem right, now their attention may be on trying to fend off a takeover bid. The fact is Jet 2 seem happy to run a service to Lba with about 7k pax per month. I have no doubt that there is a market from these large cities to Bfs, not all wants to use Bhd. Could Jet 2 not get similiar numbers to Man, Bhx and Ema? So what is the problem? Also, is Bfs talking to smaller airlines like Air Southwest about possible new services?

TB

BFS101
21st Dec 2010, 11:00
BFS need to have a sense of confidence about the attracting new operators.
Totally agree, however when we hear rumours that Air Canada, Delta and Emirates have all expressed an interest in BFS and yet no route announcements, you have to dispair a little. Especially with the inability to reinstate a direct Toronto link, after the route being served for over twenty connsecutive years or so.

It would appear, as a previous poster had mentioned, that the problem lies with the Spanish management, and so parallels could be drawn between BFS and Cardiff, unfortunately.

Some years ago the Belfast Telegragh carried the headline, "Now is the time to compete with Dublin" and months after "Emirates on their way". Both of these seemed full of confidence, perhaps unrealistically so, but the ambition seems to have been totally sapped from BFS, and now we are simply swapping passengers between BFS and BHD, infighting, rather than looking at the bigger Northern Ireland picture. A Northern Ireland aviation policy really needs to be drawn up to protect and promote air access and help stimulate the economy. Then and only then, will Northern Ireland ever be in with a chance of competing with DUB on key routes.

Many travellers may use BHD preferentially to BFS, but it is in nobodys interest to see Aldergrove go to the dogs, as regardless of BHD expansion, the charters, long-haul and late night flights will always use BFS.

gate 22
21st Dec 2010, 11:06
Could Jet 2 not get similiar numbers to Man, Bhx and Ema? So what is the problem? Also, is Bfs talking to smaller airlines like Air Southwest about possible new services?

BFS has a huge swath of people who prefer to use it and also alot of people don't care which airport they actaully use (cheapest will do). When BA(manx) operated BHD/MAN and BHD/BFS at the same time didn't they have 4 each way?, with BFS/MAN carrying more?
I agree that for whatever reason there seems to be a lack of commitment or confidence in BFS at the moment to offer airlines deals. What will it take to waken them up?

NorthernCounties
21st Dec 2010, 11:57
Are the major delays today just fog related?

Aaron9890
21st Dec 2010, 12:41
QS 9734 Exeter 09:20 Departure
OS 1431 Vienna 08:35 Arrival

What are smart wings and austrian airlines doing at bfs?

is austrian airlines being diverted

Aaron9890
21st Dec 2010, 12:45
Seems to be a lot of diversons to belfast today,

Dublin airport was hit hard last night with heavy snow

RYR69RF Riga 13:26 13:26 DIVERTED FROM
BEE046D Manchester 13:28 13:28 DIVERTED FROM
BEE2NG London Gatwick 13:31 13:31 DIVERTED FROM
RYR92BV Manchester 13:31 13:31 DIVERTED FROM
EI 397 Vilnius 14:15 14:15

INKJET
21st Dec 2010, 13:00
I think you have it wrong on the BHD V BFS debate, for the majority of passengers it will make little difference whether they land at BFS or BHD, however for a size-able number of business passengers (who tend to book at short notice) then BHD will in most cases be a better option.

Both airports have advantages and disadvantages, BFS has more fog problems but has Cat3 on 25 but only a VOR/DME on 07, whilst BHD is a much shorter runway and cat1 plus LOC/DME on 04, both have had SNOCLO days this past week, but most years BFS tends to get more snow problems because of its rural location.

STN will be an interesting test, baby are not known in the STN area, so growing STN out bound traffic will be a challenge, this will not be a problem at the BHD end with 10-12 WW flights in and out every day.

Ryanairs volume at BHD was driven by give away prices, which in turn led to a fall in volume at BFS for WW and others. WW load factor at BHD will be higher than FR by virtue of a smaller aircraft.

I suspect that if WW start to grow again in 2012 which is the plan then further routes may follow from BHD, ramp space will cause problems when 4 WW 737 turn up at the same time.

In my view the chance of another Jet operator doing MAN-BFS is remote,

Gate 22 one final question for you, how would you feel if Ryanair came to BFS? with say 5 aircraft, which they could do from tomorrow? what do you think would happen to Jet2 & Easyjet at BFS, were that to happen then i think you are looking at a PIK type airport, if this were to pass then i think WW move to BHD would look timely!

Merry Xmas

tigger2k8
21st Dec 2010, 13:03
Are the major delays today just fog related?

No doubt a mixture of

*Crew hours
*Crew unable to get to work
*Aircraft out of position
*Weather at depature airport or destination (Freezing Fog will lead to ice on engine fan blades, which requires an engineer to attend and remove the ice in most cases, normally adds 15-20mins to the turnaround)
*De-icing queues
*Tech aircraft (theres always one..)

Belboy
21st Dec 2010, 13:06
What's the problem at the city? There are a number of diversion to BFS and the weather conditions there are not great either. Is the visibilty bad in Belfast?

elle may clampit
21st Dec 2010, 14:04
Insufficient Fire & Rescue Cover I heard - one of the airport fire engines has frozen up!

NorthernCounties
21st Dec 2010, 14:14
No doubt a mixture of

*Crew hours
*Crew unable to get to work
*Aircraft out of position
*Weather at depature airport or destination (Freezing Fog will lead to ice on engine fan blades, which requires an engineer to attend and remove the ice in most cases, normally adds 15-20mins to the turnaround)
*De-icing queues
*Tech aircraft (theres always one..)

Thanks Tigger2k8 for the suspected mitigating factors. I hope things start to get back on track, as I'm flying on the evening Gatwick -> Belfast flight on Thursday. Fog and temperatures of -10 expected...

Fingers crossed the delay isn't too great!

BFS101
21st Dec 2010, 14:54
I hope things start to get back on track, as I'm flying on the evening Gatwick -> Belfast flight on Thursday. Fog and temperatures of -10 expected...
Hope you get back home safe and sound, without too much trauma!!

NorthernCounties
21st Dec 2010, 15:10
Cheers BFS101! :)

gate 22
21st Dec 2010, 15:41
In my view the chance of another Jet operator doing MAN-BFS is remote

Huge market, WW didn't break well into it.

NorthernCounties
22nd Dec 2010, 12:48
Just seen evening flight between Stansted and Belfast cancelled, is this a Belfast based aircraft causing the issues on London flights?

tigger2k8
22nd Dec 2010, 15:04
Just seen evening flight between Stansted and Belfast cancelled, is this a Belfast based aircraft causing the issues on London flights?

more than likely, as i think (note the i think bit) the aircraft was to take out the BFS-BCN route, but the runway was closed on short notice from 1100-1300

delays also due to parts of the apron being unsafe for passengers, resulting in flights only getting front steps

NorthernCounties
22nd Dec 2010, 15:14
Cheers Tiger2k8, can you tell I'm nervous ahead of my flight home tomorrow... glad to see the fog etc isn't causing to much difficultly for flights!

ardpro
22nd Dec 2010, 23:08
"I could be wrong but I thought that the Seattle flight that diverted was the BA038 and it was a 747, The only reason I remember it at all is because it was the flight that I was going out of Heathrow on 3 weeks later."

Yes that 9/11 diversion to BFS was a 747; there used to be a photo of it on the Ulster Aviation Society website but its format has changed now..

Aaron9890
22nd Dec 2010, 23:15
RYR4283 Dublin 22:30 DEPARTED 23:41

I see a Ryanair was at BFS, could be the future at BFS
hopefully the pilot will give good feedback to mr o'leary lol

Jamie2k9
22nd Dec 2010, 23:21
Diverted while runway was closed for de-icing at around 22:00.

Straightahead
23rd Dec 2010, 18:32
Aaron 9890
Dont think the reports will be very good indeed.Servisair the handling agent for FR refused to de ice the aircraft.It was left to Menzies to do it after they had got their last flights out.Passengers sat on aircraft for nearly 4 hrs.Not a good show from a company loosing business and staff hand over fist.

tigger2k8
23rd Dec 2010, 18:57
Servisair, as of 1400 this afternoon only has a couple of cubes left of de-icing fluid, so their scheduled services take priority. How they have ran so low I don't know, same happened last year and before. Menzies ofcourse has to give priority to their scheduled services, they seem to have plenty of fluid always on station, about 20,000 litres of ecowing, some of which is 100% fluid, and I think the 22 cubes (22,000 litres) of killfrost is also theirs at checkpoint one

BFS101
23rd Dec 2010, 19:33
Jet2 to Manchester???

In the latest Jet2Holidays brochure Our Destinations — Intro — Jet2holidays.com A45321 Jet2holidays Dec10 (http://jet2holidays.inbro.net/seeinsidebrochure/Jet2holidays.com_A45321-Jet2holidays-Dec10/Intro/Our-Destinations/page_12) on the cities flight guide, showing the option of a Belfast citybreak departing from Manchester, flights up to daily for the winter 2011/12 season. A mistake as Leeds Bradford missing is missing??

tigger2k8
23rd Dec 2010, 20:17
Well it is possible that LS may take thw BFS-MAN route up, they were one of the rumored airlines to be interested in taking it up

The Sham
23rd Dec 2010, 21:41
Anyone seen the public sledging of Ryanair on the Dublin Airport Website....

Jamie2k9
23rd Dec 2010, 21:43
Ryanair started it by saying there was no need to close the runway for so long this morning. It's on Ryanair news. The DAA also reminded Ryanair about the aircraft skidding of the runway in PIK a year ago today. Well done to the DAA.

EI-BUD
24th Dec 2010, 11:50
Does anybody know where Continental diverted to this morning?

EI-BUD

Jamie2k9
24th Dec 2010, 12:31
Diverted to Dublin.

david1994
24th Dec 2010, 12:53
CO94 diverted to Dublin with a flight control problem, not an emergency, couldn't land at BFS due the runway conditions. Arrived Dublin at 10am departed again with the pax at 12:41 arrived into BFS at 13:30.

Aaron9890
24th Dec 2010, 18:52
merry christmas everyone

ILS25
25th Dec 2010, 00:00
Merry Christmas :ok:

Hopefully 2011 will bring better things for BFS. More sensible owners and better management would be wishful thinking.

Tower Ranger
25th Dec 2010, 08:03
Merry Christmas BFS, especially to the Guys and Girls in the Tower and all the staff working outdoors in this weather!! Cheers, TR!

Aaron9890
25th Dec 2010, 19:59
Hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas day, just want to point out that jet2 flew to Manchester, either earlier or last night cant be too sure and are due back in tomorrow, could be a practice run?

just as BFS101 pointed out

david1994
25th Dec 2010, 20:46
Its departing tomorrow morning again at 11:00 as LS6454

EI-BUD
26th Dec 2010, 08:31
CO 95Newark New York11:05-CANCELLED

I see that Continental´s departure to Newark this morning is cancelled. Is this a technical issue or what is happening?

EI-BUD

StbdD
26th Dec 2010, 10:43
It would seem they don't want to fly into this:

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | Blizzard Looms for Philadelphia, New York City, Boston (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/43512/blizzard-looms-for-philadelphi.asp)

BFS101
26th Dec 2010, 13:42
I see Balkan Tours are using Jet2 for their Plovdiv flights this winter. Is this the first year they have chartered a British carrier to operate the flights. I remember Hemus Air, Bulgarian Air Charter and Balkan, but never a UK carrier.

I remember flying on a Balkan TU-154 many moons ago to Plovdiv, what an experience!!

tigger2k8
26th Dec 2010, 18:26
Was that the same TU-154 operator that was grounded with metal sticking out from worn tyres? Think it was a TU-154

Aaron9890
31st Dec 2010, 12:53
Hope next year will be a much better year for belfast, hopefully the new routes will work out well and maybe this year we will get a route to canada all we can do is hope, these spanish owners need to wind their necks in and run the airport like it used to be run.

ILS25
31st Dec 2010, 14:19
Couldn't agree with you more about the Spanish. Don't know if this takeover bid will happen or not, but if it does maybe new owners will make a difference ??
CVC preparing takeover bid for Spain's Abertis: report | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6BI1EH20101219)

EI-BUD
31st Dec 2010, 14:31
Hello all and a very Happy and successful 2011 to one and all of the you!!

I was speaking to a guy from Abertis from Barcelona at BFS 2 weeks after FR announced the closure of BHD operations. Of Course I was curious to ask what he was doing over and he said he 'couldnt say', however, he did say he had important business on the visit so it's hard to say what, I did understand he worked in business development so there could have been any number of issues going on.

However, we ended up taking about FR arrival at BCN El Prat. He said he was based in Barcelona, and I commented that they dont operate the airport at BCN and he replied 'not yet' so I tried to get him to elaborate and he said 'I cannot discuss'.

Now in the last number of weeks the Spanish media is reporting on how the state are to sell off some of the national assets including some airports. So is there anything related here? Are Abertis going to be buying some of these airports?

EI-BUD

True Blue
31st Dec 2010, 18:47
With WW now off to Bhd, did they ever do what they should have been able to do on the Man and Bhx routes? Man and Bhx are two of the largest cities in England, yet in my opinion WW never made a success of these routes with regards to the number of pax carried . Consider the number of pax who go to Man via Lpl. Do you agree and what was the reason? Poor schedules?

True Blue

DannyKelly22
1st Jan 2011, 12:21
anyone know what the flight from shannon at 00.30 tonight is about, looks like a loganair flight, is it a positioning flight, has an arrival but no departure on the boards

tigger2k8
1st Jan 2011, 12:46
Ulster Rugby team charter to SNN, came in from GLA at 0915 this morning and left for SNN shortly before 1000, bringing them back up to BFS then positioning back to GLA around 0100, flybe (loganair) Saab 340.

BHD2BFS
4th Jan 2011, 06:02
does nobody else think that it is terribly bad management on albertis' part that they are unable to establish routes to airports they own i.e. cardiff and luton and that airlines decide to use the other airport down the road??

surely this shows that they just do not care about route development, also they are the owners of sanford which is in one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world yet once again belfast no longer has this route available

dog in park
4th Jan 2011, 10:24
It all comes down to local management and the 3L'S. Also the fact that BCA has a load of free pr in local papers!

tigger2k8
4th Jan 2011, 10:25
All you have to do is read through the last 15 pages of this to find out how pathetic abertis is, there's been many times airlines (big names) have almost been in BFS, only for the Spanish to mess it up (local management probably can't authorise a wall to be painted without asking the Spanish).....also with the routes development funding cut it probably explains why there's not many new routes this year, even though air travel is starting to recover, I don't think they realise the potential that BFS has, considering the land available, if they invested in transport links or part funded better road networks, it would pay off in years to come...but as long as they are making a profit they are happy...all we can do is hope for them to sell the airport, although the estimated £30m runway resurfacing on 25/07 isn't appealing

Mr dog, not the local management at BFS, its the Spanish owners that are the problem

gate 22
4th Jan 2011, 10:45
All you have to do is read through the last 15 pages of this to find out how pathetic abertis is, there's been many times airlines (big names) have almost been in BFS, only for the Spanish to mess it up (local management probably can't authorise a wall to be painted without asking the Spanish).....

Maybe they are taking a more calculated approach. I would say that EZY will announce something with regard to it's NI operation very shortly. Don't forget that the airlines had alot on their plates before Christmas. BE, EI/Aer Arran, EZY, LS all should be at least interested in MAN/BHX/EMA from BFS for whatever reason.
The worst time at BFS was November 2001, MAN/EMA/BRU/NYC there were more lost (can't remember), by losing Sabena, BA, EI and most of BD's operation. However 2005 then became one of the greatest years ever. So over the next short while slowly but surely services will be added just as per 2001.

victoria73
4th Jan 2011, 11:14
One of the major problems at bfs the owner not the local management.These guys in spain basically need to just go back and own roads not airports they have not got a clue or just don't care,the management at Bfs have lined up some good airlines and interesting routes i would say the whole thing is not dead in the water yet, this is the new financial year at Bfs so just wait and see what happens.One major problems at Bfs which has been said is the runway the huge cost to resurface seems to be getting up the spaniards backs whether they do it all or do the necessary bits to cut the cost down case of wait and see this year.

gate 22
5th Jan 2011, 09:47
Well no new routes yet, however BFS has a new website. Not straight forward to get to arrivals/departures board-which is probably the most important page.

Facelookbovvered
5th Jan 2011, 10:08
I understand that you want new routes from BFS to replace the WW services, but the fact that baby moved and weren't exactly pulling up tree's in terms of pax numbers will make many think twice before committing to new services from MAN/BHX/EMA/CWL, to do so would put them up against both WW & BE.

My own take on WW move is that its likely to be part of larger change of strategy that will see WW doing more London (STN) services from GLA/EDI as well with regional doing LHR in E jets (170-190) LHR is only going to get more expensive for domestic operations, this will force British Midland International to use bigger aircraft on long haul routes out of LHR and cut costs on loss making domestic ops by using regional's lower cost base, the aircraft released by this (319/320) will probably end up at baby starting 2012/13 and pilots who wish to remain in Scotland will be given the choice of LHR or baby, any one want a fiver on GLA/EDI being baby bases in two years time?

Jamie2k9
5th Jan 2011, 11:58
When you go to the home page click on anything and once it opens at the top corner there is an option to customize the Home page to suit you.

david1994
5th Jan 2011, 12:12
http://www.belfastairport.com (http://www.belfastairport.com/) is coming up as Bad Request (Invalid Hostname) :confused:

eastern wiseguy
5th Jan 2011, 14:33
Works for me....

Torque2
5th Jan 2011, 15:02
Eastern is that the fact that it is a bad request or that the site works for you? :)

Arrivals and departure info isn't too prominently displayed on opening the site.

gate 22
5th Jan 2011, 15:08
Arrivals and departure info isn't too prominently displayed on opening the site.

Most people I know would only use the site for arrivals information, so as they know when to leave the house to do a pick-up. Nobody I know has booked a flight through the airport website. Is the fact that they don't have the info for arrivals there when you enter the site (like BHD's) not poor marketing. How much money did they spend on this update? How many people approved it without realising the obvious? Maybe there will be no need for arrivals info this summer as there won't be any!!

BFS101
5th Jan 2011, 15:25
Also when looking at the arrivals infomation, the page displays the scheduled arrival time, but then Expected At...??? What???

Also for departing information, Final Call Gate...?? and Check In Desk...??

Seems that part of the display doesn't fit the new format... Poor show Abertis!!

Aaron9890
5th Jan 2011, 16:07
Im liking the snazzy new site, i think its modern and up to date

cuthere
5th Jan 2011, 16:18
Also for departing information, Final Call Gate...?? and Check In Desk...??

Sounds like the website is finally as informative as the screens in the departure lounges.

The last time I travelled though BFS (during the cold weather at the start of Dec), I got a taxi into Belfast using the official onsite crowd. The guy I got said he had worked at the airport for many years, but since Abertis bought the place, it's gone down the pan. He was saying the roof in the check-in hall was leaking at the end of November, with a variety of buckets sat around to collect the water. He also said there are long periods of the day, when there may be 20-30 taxis sat around doing nothing.

So, I have to ask, is a new "snazzy" site (which seems to be sponsored by Credit Expert!) really the priority for BFS and its management?

Aaron9890
5th Jan 2011, 16:41
Cuthere i was just saying that the site looked good, that doesn't change my opinion on the Spanish, no its probably not their main priorty, their man priority should be getting a direct flight back to canada like they said they would but still havent!

Tower Ranger
5th Jan 2011, 20:48
I was expecting something complicated but i can`t see what all the fuss is about. As soon as the homepage opens and you click on the rather obvious meeters n greeters link you get the arrivals info, seems simple to me!
However for those that find that extra click to arduous or can`t understand the link between meeters n greeters just go to the customise your homepage link and hey presto you can have flight info pop up straight away.

tigger2k8
6th Jan 2011, 12:35
Well the website seems to be working now, and the arrivals / depature pages have no ??'s in them.

Its a nice clean design, however as a default layout id have the latest news bar at the top of the screen

Aaron9890
6th Jan 2011, 20:26
easyJet?s dominance at Belfast International grows as bmibaby transfers flights to Belfast City this week | anna.aero (http://www.anna.aero/2011/01/06/easyjets-dominance-at-belfast-international-grows-as-bmibaby-transfers-flights-to-belfast-city-this-week/#)

david1994
6th Jan 2011, 22:43
Looks like Easyjet had an emergency in BFS and Flybe at BHD...

Passengers used emergency chutes to disembark from a plane at Belfast International Airport after smoke was spotted in the cabin. The Easyjet flight from Liverpool on Thursday night had just landed when the emergency began.
Easyjet said that the measure was taken as a precaution and passengers were not in danger at any stage.
Earlier, a Flybe flight from Belfast City to Birmingham was evacuated due to an air conditioning problem.
Sixty three passengers and five crew disembarked when a strange smell wafted into the aircraft.
A replacement plane was due to depart 45 minutes later

TSR2
6th Jan 2011, 23:09
Your statement reads like Easyjet had 2 emergencies but the story reads as 1 Easyjet and 1 FlyBe.

ILS25
7th Jan 2011, 15:16
I know its been kicked around here a few times but I heard from a pretty reliable source today that EZY will be moving it's Luton service back to BFS soon. I'm not saying it's true but has anyone else heard anything ?

AIRPORT66
7th Jan 2011, 18:47
Really depends on were you heard the rumour,maybe BCA no this going to happen and could possibly be lineing up Ryanair for a return to BHD?

tigger2k8
7th Jan 2011, 23:28
Rumor has been about for awhile now, considering it was never removed from the drop-down menu from BFS leads you to believe it may have a chance of getting back.. as routes that have been removed from BFS have been removed completely much quicker, theres been 3/4 schedule updates for BFS and yet LTN hasnt been removed..

The airport (BFS) wants LTN back, for obvious reasons, EZY has been split on the decision, due to the opening hours, earlier depature times, being able to have on-site engineers and it keeps all the operation under 1 "roof" .. theres pro's and con's to moving.. the things mentioned above are the "pro's", some of the cons would be, taking PAX from the BFS-STN and EI's LHR route, losing that slice of "City" traffic, the fact that BE or WW could jump on the LTN route, although EZY could very easily jump on BHX/MAN and CWL if they wished, however i wouldn't hold onto that happening for all 3 anyway... as for FR returning, would BHD really be that stupid to allow it after they threw their toys out of the pram, not to mention FR would only harm BE's expansion and WW's new routes from BHD

Time will tell, some people believe the move was a "market tester" as thats what EZY, but it was more of a statement to BFS, that if EZY wanted, they can just move without hesitation... ever since the LTN moved, theres been big improvements to areas passengers access, especially the modernisaton of the duty free / shopping area.. theres still a lot more to do, but atleast Abertis have their finger out and have started... slowly.

Aaron9890
8th Jan 2011, 17:14
World?s airlines already planning 600+ new routes for 2011 | anna.aero (http://www.anna.aero/2011/01/06/worlds-airlines-already-planning-over-600-new-routes-for-2011/)

Dont know if anyone is aware of this site but i only found it today, seems very useful. Came across this article about new routes and saw Jet2 and Easy planning routes and was wondering if any would be from bfs, as there were rumours of both MAN and MAD.

was also reading this article

easyJet?s dominance at Belfast International grows as bmibaby transfers flights to Belfast City this week | anna.aero (http://www.anna.aero/2011/01/06/easyjets-dominance-at-belfast-international-grows-as-bmibaby-transfers-flights-to-belfast-city-this-week/)

BHD2BFS
12th Jan 2011, 05:11
just wondering if anyone has heard any more news about the possible jet2.com route to cyprus and easyjets madrid route?

any truth to these rumours?

also was just thinking, does anyone think aer lingus might start an orlando flight as it seems quite a waste that belfast has lost it

Jamie2k9
12th Jan 2011, 10:20
There will be no new Aer Lingus US routes for the next two years if not longer and can't see BFS being at the top of the list.

victoria73
12th Jan 2011, 11:33
Apart from the new routes allready been announced there is nothing more in the pipeline everything else is just rumours.

tigger2k8
12th Jan 2011, 13:14
Until an annocement is made everything is a rumor. EZY may have something planned route wise, considering they have already selected new staff for BFS who will go through training soon and are still advertising, it would lead you to think they may have something going on, or they just dont want a repeat of last summers crew issues.

Lets sit back and wait, im confident that something reasonably big is going on at BFS at the minute, due to some important looking people being shown around the whole airport.. could be investors, new airline being shown around, contractors in looking at redevelopment plans or better still potential buyers... lets hope for the last.. in saying that, it could be nothing..

victoria73
12th Jan 2011, 13:32
The spanish were over for few days for top level meetings and there was to be an annoucement yesterday about a certain airline was going to sign up for BFS but it all fell through and it was said there is nothing else planned just doom and glum. but as you say don;t know whats around the corner just find it bizzare that they can,t find another operater for the MAN\BHX routes must be to do with the increased charges.

BFS101
12th Jan 2011, 14:12
The spanish were over for few days for top level meetings and there was to be an annoucement yesterday about a certain airline was going to sign up for BFS but it all fell throughAnyone know the airline in question???

tigger2k8
12th Jan 2011, 17:19
Believe it or not it was apparently the airline who thinks no one wants to use the airport in surrounded by fields.

victoria73
12th Jan 2011, 17:37
Tgger you are right how did you guess lol.seems that MOL cursing BFS all over the place and sitting round the table talking to BFS management about trying to do a deal to get into BFS.Just wondering what went wrong that it fell through last minute or is MOL just playing games to see how desperate the airport is to get more business through there door.

NorthernCounties
12th Jan 2011, 17:45
If it was MOL, it's good news for Intl. Hopefully not bad news for Derry though!

He was probably seeing how much Belfast wants Ryanair, and snatching it away last minute will show him just how much they want it by the way they react. End off he just wants the lower costs!

Would love to see what far off routes they'd start though!

cuthere
12th Jan 2011, 17:52
Hmmm. One wonders how much weight this rumour has.

Nobody on here knew about the departure of the EZY LTN route to BHD, nor the complete withdrawal of WW, yet some people (one of whom's posts I need to read about five times before I can make any sense out of them) are privy to possible negotiations between BFS and RYR.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me. BFS can meet all of RYR's requirements. 24/7 ops, nice long runway (is it still open? Or now closed for maintenance), and an airport that needs a big operator (the loss of ~1.5million pax in the last 3-5 years). Makes sense that they'd be interested in BFS (and vice versa), and I'm amazed they're not there already.

One can only guess what EZY's response would be.

Facelookbovvered
12th Jan 2011, 17:58
Is that what BFS really wants?

victoria73
12th Jan 2011, 18:06
Airlines such as EZY,LS,EI not really interested in expantion at minute the airport is probably exploring other area,s to see if they can get more new routes even if it were from RYR.

tigger2k8
12th Jan 2011, 18:20
If you add up the advantages and disadvantages to FR it would probably be more negative. You would get a quick boost to PAX numbers, but no doubt would dip as EZY/EI and LS could reduce flights if they get impacted. It would do more harm than good. Unless they had an agreement for no routes already operating, but would FR agree to it?

Why annoy your main 3 carriers for 1?

Victoria, I was shocked when I found out it was them to be honest, after all the comments they have said about BFS.

victoria73
12th Jan 2011, 19:29
If they were going to do a deal with RYR to say land for free for couple of years why don,t they call meetings with one of there other resident airlines and offer them the same deal and see what they come up with,reduced fees will bring in some good result.EI resumes the flights to Rome (FCO) in few weeks wonder what the PAX numbers will be like if good enough they might keep it going all winter next year.

tigger2k8
12th Jan 2011, 20:13
FR wouldn't accept reduced/free landing fee's the last time they were negotiating with BFS they wanted a subsidy per aircraft they landed.

ib26uk
12th Jan 2011, 20:14
Ryanair would be great at Belfast International

They DO fly from airports that are MILES away from their intended destination...

Seriously though if its all quiet at BFS then surely a new airline breathing live in to the airport would be great - even if it IS Ryanair

I travel to Belfast 3-4x a year - Love the city - Would fly over on easyJet from BHX or MAN -- IF only they had the route !!

Manchester crew could do the MAN-BFS-MAN route and BFS crews could do BFS-BHX-BFS route

I personally think they should add the route as they fly to BFS from all other UK bases - EDI/GLA/LPL/NCL/BRS/LTN/STN/LGW

Love Belfast - Love easyJet - come on - get on with it !!!!!!!!:ok:

tigger2k8
13th Jan 2011, 17:42
I'm still not convinced FR would have been positive for BFS, they would only end up targetting EI, EZY and LS and we could see the main 3 reducing flights.

Now while there's no good news, CVC is due to put a bid in this month (according to some articles before Christmas) for Abertis as a whole company, considering Abertis had their evaluators in BFS doing a full evaluation on the airport, I wonder if something may happen this year

NorthernCounties
13th Jan 2011, 19:15
Probably valuing Abertis' assets, I do wonder what price tag they'd put on Belfast.

A Problem is though, it's all well and good CVC buying the company as a whole, but as it's a private equity company, they'll make absolutely no difference unless there's a radical shake up of management at all levels.

Aaron9890
13th Jan 2011, 19:32
Tigger2k8 sounds like good news to me! where is this company from?

Aaron9890
13th Jan 2011, 19:34
from what i see they have done very well. they have tons of good companies.

what airline is MON btw

tigger2k8
13th Jan 2011, 20:08
I'm not saying its sold or will be, ill get the article later and post it up, although I think its been mentioned before. Hopefully if it was bought CVC will shake the place up, all of abertis needs it to be honest.

MON is usually monarch, sometimes in BFS for charters

CVC preparing takeover bid for Spain's Abertis: report | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6BI1EH20101219)

Aaron9890
14th Jan 2011, 10:51
Cambridge: Euro flights bid by airport - News - East Anglian Daily Times (http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/cambridge_euro_flights_bid_by_airport_1_774311)

a route to cambridge airport ???????

BFS101
15th Jan 2011, 16:02
Mentioned on here before that EZY were to operate a Zurich charter for the ski season, think by directski. Has this been dropped?? I haven't seen it operate as yet, and appear to be no longer bookable.

However notice an EZY charter to Brescia, is this a replacement?? Poor sales from Switzerland, so bulk up capacity in Italy??

tigger2k8
15th Jan 2011, 16:20
I never heard any mention of the Zurich charter actually operating, if its not bookable anymore then i would guess its not happening. Unless its a one off, as there was an MXP charter last year, which i think was one off.

VBS was cancelled for about a week, then brought back, started slightly later this year due to this, (08/01/11) and not December as stated on some websites. VBS was popular last year, which is why it returned.

I see the same person who put the stornoway route on the BHD wiki page also edited the BFS page with MAD starting 28/03/11, someone must be bored!

victoria73
16th Jan 2011, 19:12
Looking at the Bfs website the Larnaca charter flight on friday night is being operated by an airline with a code VKH never heard of them before. I thought that charter flight was being operated by (cy) cyprus airways.

sam1993
16th Jan 2011, 19:38
victoria73, There has been a lot of changes to the tour operators schedule following the collapse of Eurocypria. VKH is Viking Hellas! :ok:

BFS101
16th Jan 2011, 20:52
Olympic Holidays have also chartered a Viking Hellas aircraft for their Heraklion flights, Tuesday's, no longer taking an allocation on the TCX.

victoria73
16th Jan 2011, 20:54
Ah yes remember now i thought they went bust as well.wonder what size of aircraft they will use Cyprus airways were going to use an A330/A310.

victoria73
16th Jan 2011, 20:57
Well at least that gets the Heraklion flight back it was very popular last year.

JonnyBfs
16th Jan 2011, 21:40
Was just on the airport wiki page:
Monarch - Funchal and Mallorca??

I know Wikipedia is not always very reliable though.
If there is no truth in it, someone who is able to edit wikis can do that, I don't want to mess anything up!!

tigger2k8
17th Jan 2011, 00:45
Its good to see the turkish routes back this year as well, after the fall of goldtrail last year BFS lost so many PAX, i would estimate a good 70,000 PAX may have been lost, considering there was 4 or 5 flights on a monday night i think to Turkey, and more throughout the week. The big drop in PAX numbers over the last 2 years has mainly been due to the fall of airlines and tour operators.. there would still have been a drop in numbers, but not as bad as we have witnessed.

As for Monarch at BFS, the only time they are in has been charters from the RAF side. Personally i have heard nothing myself, but its more than likely someone hearing a rumor or having a dream and posting on wiki.

Victoria, it will either be an A320 or MD83, dont know how many flights per week, but Cyprus airlines was, like you said, going to operate once a week using an A330 most times

mizake the mizzen
17th Jan 2011, 08:29
On Viking Hellas (VKH) it will be A320/180Y (based HER/LCA unit)

****5** VKH1353 BFS-LCA 2230-0545
****5** VKH1352 LCA-BFS 1800-2130

*2***** VKH 181 BFS-HER 1135-1755
*2***** VKH 180 HER-BFS 0800-1035

All Timings Local

Interesting as 2 weeks ago the Olympic system was showing Cyprus Airways as the carrier with flight nos CY873/2.

gate 22
17th Jan 2011, 10:16
December London Belfast Provisional stats

LGW
BHD 15429 (2010) 19094 (2009) -19%
BFS 20541 (2010) 22467 (2009) -9%

LHR
BHD 32854 (2010) 41062 (2009) -20%
BFS 16861 (2010) 21174 (2009) -20%

STN
BHD 0 (2010) 27100 (2009) -100%
BFS 25022 (2010) 23377 + 7%

LTN
BHD 16937 (2010) +100%
BFS 0 (2010) 19333 (2009) -100%

Where have all the STN/BHD passengers gone (25,000)?
1. FR gave the tickets away and lost money that is why vacated BHD.
2. The passengers refuse to fly from BFS and want to fly to STN and are waiting for WW to start at BHD.

tigger2k8
17th Jan 2011, 11:37
Where have all the STN/BHD passengers gone (25,000)?
1. FR gave the tickets away and lost money that is why vacated BHD.
2. The passengers refuse to fly from BFS and want to fly to STN and are waiting for WW to start at BHD.

I doubt people would really refuse to fly to their destination until March because of an extra 20 mile journey, but you never know with the way some people think, as theres people who save £10 on flights and end up spending that £10 on fuel getting to the different airport and think its a bargin, what sort of stats did BHD-LTN have for Nov? Was there a substantial increase between Nov and Dec? Remember there was almost a full week of no flights to LHR from both airports, and ofcourse the closures throughout Dec of airports which couldn't have helped, as those who maybe booked themselves to other London airports found their flights cancelled, or even not able to get to their airport itself due to the weather.

Maybe January will give us a clearer picture of where those PAX have went. There were times i drove to both airports when the roads were horrible with ice and snow, and if i had the option to not have to fly or skip a business meeting, I would have took the offer up, and since quite a lot of the PAX on London flights are business, I would say they didn't travel if they had the option not to.

BFS101
17th Jan 2011, 13:10
I would say FR carried a lot of opportunistic passengers, I have used them for that very reason. Get a £10 rtn fare and head to London for the day, or over to Liverpool.

With the remaining carriers offering only more realistic fares, this may cut out all those passengers who are simply looking a rediculously cheap fare.

Regarding MON to FNC, on the Monarch thread there seems to be many UK regional airports getting such flights. Potentially one off's or selected departure dates for a tour operator, so manybe an ounce of truth.

Would have been great to see CY A330 at BFS, and a well equiped aircraft for the passengers with PTV's for the 5 odd hour flight!! Was great to see widebodies being regularly used at BFS, the TCX A330 to Monastir and Onur A300 to Dalaman and Bodrum, amongst others!!

Keyvon
17th Jan 2011, 13:24
Monarch Airlines will indeed operate a serie of one-off departures from Belfast to Funchal (Madeira).

Departures date are planned on : 30/05, 06/06, 05/09, 12/09, 19/09. Hence five additional charter rotations for BFS.

Flights are carried out for Atlantic Holidays.

BFS101
17th Jan 2011, 15:59
Excellent news re Madeira. With any luck, demand will be such, that Atlantic will run a season long programme off the back of this. BFS seems to be one of very few UK airports that doesn't have a regular Madeira flight, especially for winter sun.

gate 22
17th Jan 2011, 19:50
Would Monarch ever consider routes from BFS. They could do Turkey, Bulgaria, Sanford etc and maybe have a go at Toronto and a domestic like Manchester.

BFS101
17th Jan 2011, 20:01
Monarch have only ever done charter flights from BFS. Direct Holidays used them for a number of years, when they based an additional aircraft over the peak twelfth fortnight period, then becoming an extra TCX aircraft, when Thomas Cook bought over Direct.

The Sanford flights were on behalf of the Thomas Cook group if I recall, using an A330. Many moons ago they also used 757's on the Orlando route, I think for Chieftain Holidays, via Bangor or Gander.

Think the chance of MON offering a scheduled MAN from Belfast is pretty much nil, and scheduled European or Toronto also very slim.

gate 22
17th Jan 2011, 20:09
My experience with Monarch is quite retro, I flew OM610 (I think) to Palma on a BAC 1-11 in June 83 or 82.

Aaron9890
17th Jan 2011, 21:29
A couple of days ago i sent a general enquiry involving the route shop website, i said to them about adding BFS to their collection of airports. I received this reply today:

Hello Aaron

Thank you very much for your enquire I am glad you are reading anna.aero and enjoy it.

In regard to your questions we would very much like to do more work with Belfast international Airport within anna.aero as well as help with your ongoing air service development campaign by including the airport in The Route Shop.

i have a funny feeling that this is just to get me off their backs and they probably wont consider adding it. i thought it would be interesting to see what routes are in demand etc

i'm not quite sure if the can just add a page. I think the airport needs to pay them money for advertising. it would be a great way for BFS to get more routes in my opinion

victoria73
17th Jan 2011, 22:10
The management at BFS have identified a lot of routes from BFS but the problem is the airlines want start up subsidies and the owners Abertis won't release any cash to give to the airlines.and all the other airlines that operate out of BFS are just not in the mood to develope maybe they need some subsidies to give them bit of a nudge.

virginblue
18th Jan 2011, 07:21
Aaron,

a quick browse of the route shop website reveals this:

Got some great routes to sell in The Route Shop?
Prices start at just €1,299 inclusive for six months!

No conspiracy. The website is no charity. BFS simply has to fork out some cash.

gate 22
18th Jan 2011, 11:21
BMI'S announcement on LHR-domestics possibly tomorrow

If BMI cut back the BHD-LHR service to say 5 per day or even less, will EI continue with their current laid back approach at BFS or will they get extra slots. Could they not operate a full A321 service LHR - DUB, thus cut back on slots and give a couple to BFS?

tigger2k8
18th Jan 2011, 11:55
Well i cant see BMI adding any more rotations to LHR from BHD, if there is an annoucement, its either going to be timing changes or cuts.. 6 flights a day is probably pushing it on certain days.. but who knows, they could add another one for all we know

I think 4 per day from BFS is optimal in summer.. although at peak season a 5th could be threw in, in winter 3 is enough

BHD2BFS
19th Jan 2011, 02:01
anyone think there is a chance aer lingus regional might take up the routes recently lost by the departure of bmibaby, because we all know how much bfs management love aer lingus so they might strike a deal with ther partners, aswell as that the atr would be a perfect size for the routes

anyone heard a possibility of this??

tigger2k8
19th Jan 2011, 08:46
Its something id like to see, as you said the ATRs would be perfect for the routes from BFS, especially as a trial. Unfortunately i have heard nothing about EI, although you never know.

I see the old car parking place, cant remember the name, in between cosmo and mccausland's is being demolished, wonder what will go in there (if anything)

I see the Maderia route has been added to the news section of the airports website, heres a section of it. I wonder if the bit in bold has any hope, or is it just the usual nonsense

Uel Hoey, Business Development Director, Belfast International Airport said, “It will be great to see Madeira back on the departure boards at the airport as Madeira has always been a popular destination with local holidaymakers; albeit they have been forced lately to use less convenient routes to fly there. With a flight just four hours away and with excellent flights times, we are confident that the new service will be a success with all types of travellers. We are delighted that Atlantic Holidays have added Belfast to their list of departure airports and look forward to working closely with Atlantic Holidays and Monarch Airlines to expand the service.

victoria73
19th Jan 2011, 10:23
The airport authority owns that ground the building is on,the reason they are knocking it down is to do with the ground rates,knock it down and just run electricity over to it i think then they don't have to pay any rates or just very little but you can be assured they won't sell.aerlingus regional picking up the Man'Bhx would be good to see as you say who knows said while back nothing was in pipline and next thing Madeira comes along.Uel hoey says things like that about all new flights/airlines would'nt look to much into that.

gate 22
19th Jan 2011, 11:36
aer lingus regional

If EZY would get the finger out MAN would be sitting duck for them.

victoria73
19th Jan 2011, 14:29
Totally agree in what you say,they have the aircraft sitting there then again so does jet2.com they have 2 aircraft sitting there some days doing absolutly nothing i am baffled by it all,if EZY are interested they being very slow about it.

ILS25
19th Jan 2011, 17:09
Quote: I see the old car parking place, cant remember the name, in between cosmo and mccausland's is being demolished, wonder what will go in there (if anything)

Nothing is planned for the site. It was called the Glendinning building. Victoria73 you are right about the rates. The only people using the building was Sixt car rental and they only used it to valet the cars. The building was in a serious state of disrepair and if I remember correctly contained asbestos.

Aaron9890
19th Jan 2011, 22:10
Just seen on wikipedia that Lleida-Alguaire starts december from BFS. someone has yet again added Sanford-Orlando to Thomas Cook aswell, last time i checked they took it off the website have they reintroduced it or is someone trying to take the mick outta everyone.

david1994
19th Jan 2011, 22:14
Thomas Cook are operating SFB again on a Sunday departing at 11:15 returning 06:00 on Monday

Aaron9890
19th Jan 2011, 22:18
Ok good news everyone Thomas Cook is reintroducing flights to Orlando for a 3 week duratrion starting 3 July. Hopefully passengers will use this ad Thomas Cook will bring it back to weekly deperatures next summer. Some Bad news BFS passenger numbers dropped to 4,011,632, not bad considering the Icelandic volcano caos and winter weather.

yeah just noticed David1994, cheers

Aaron9890
19th Jan 2011, 22:37
Nielson will operate 6 flights per week during 14 weeks; the first flight will take place on December 19th 2011. The flights will come from London, Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin and Belfast. It is expected that during the 14 weeks in which the company will operate a minimum of 68 flights about 30,000 passengers will arrive at Lleida.

Jamie2k9
19th Jan 2011, 23:01
There will be never be any A321 on the BFS - LHR route.
1 - only 3 left in the fleet. (3 left over the last few weeks)
2 - current 3 will be based in DUB this summer to operate sun routes and some LHR flights
3 - all A321's to leave the fleet on a phased basis
4 - no A321's on order or planned lease in the near future.

Aer Lingus Regional/Aer Arann

There would be no spare ATR 72's but there should be a few ATR 42's around after July 21.

gate 22
20th Jan 2011, 10:26
12.00 EZY8004 Manchester

obviously the MAN is a diversion from LPL- but wouldn't it be good!!!!

tigger2k8
20th Jan 2011, 12:42
Diverting to BFS when the flights original destination was MAN, talk about a nightmare.. lets hope they get back out before crew hours become an issue.. but could place them on the LPL flights for the rest of the night depending on PAX numbers..

A drop of 534,843 pax, not great but as mentioned, considering the volcanic ash which lasted about 2 weeks maybe more if you add up the days and the bad weather... coupled with the collapse of goldtrail and a couple of others.. i was expecting to see round 3.7m.. lets hope this year will be more promising

True Blue
21st Jan 2011, 15:57
Well if Ltn is to return to Bfs, it has gone off the Bfs drop down on the Easy site.

True Blue

dog in park
21st Jan 2011, 18:19
but did hear rumble of new EZY route to warmer climates. que Sir Tigger!

tigger2k8
21st Jan 2011, 21:14
Its about time the LTN was removed from the drop-down box, never seen it take so long for a route to be removed before. Mr doggy, theres that many rumors flying around at the minute, is this the Madrid rumor or the Turkey one, or has another appeared?

cuthere
21st Jan 2011, 22:21
Surely a Madrid flight, say four times a week, would do well with both outbound and inbound pax? A city of over 6.5 million people (metropolitan area) must have enough demand to sustain a scheduled route to NI. When one considers the propensity for Spanish to head to Northern Europe for holidays, and also educational visits, this, in my mind, would definitely work from BFS.

A scheduled route to Turkey on the other hand.

EI-BUD
21st Jan 2011, 22:30
Surely a Madrid flight, say four times a week, would do well with both outbound and inbound pax? A city of over 6.5 million people (metropolitan area) must have enough demand to sustain a scheduled route to NI. When one considers the propensity for Spanish to head to Northern Europe for holidays, and also educational visits, this, in my mind, would definitely work from BFS.

Hey cuthere, While I would just be delighted to have a direct flight down to Madrid from BFS, it would suit me greatly, would save a drive to Dublin or a connection en route. However, I am not confident that the route would be a big hit. I fly to Alicante quite frequently and I rarely hear a spanish accent though from Dublin the proportion of Spaniards is much greater, though interestingly in the last year there does seem to be more on ALC BFS than there had been, but not significant.

So my feeling is that most of the traffic originates here, Rome as an example that from the sound of the comments on here and the fact that Easyjet axed it in better times seems to be at best marginal. So Madrid compared to Rome, I am just not confident that it would pay its way.

EI-BUD

dog in park
21st Jan 2011, 23:26
heard EZY BHD to Spain. Baby might have somthing too. heard story of 2 based 737 as cheaper parking. would think unlikely. but BE to AMS ?

EI-BUD
22nd Jan 2011, 19:27
Bmi diverted earlier to BFS from LHR. Does anyone know if it was A320/19/ EMBRAER?

Thanks
EI-BUD

dog in park
22nd Jan 2011, 20:44
sorry no idea . thick fog! could not even see the oval at end of street! JESUS sign was not to be seen.

MontyP
22nd Jan 2011, 21:22
I thought JESUS could be seen everywhere?

2 x A319s in this evening BUD if it's important

sealink
23rd Jan 2011, 10:39
The BD088 and BD090 both diverted into BFS. I was on the BD090. Both A319s.
The captain advised that BHD was below limits for a "manual" landing so to make sure people got to "Belfast" we would be diverting to BFS for an "automatic" landing.
We were coached back to BHD. There was no fog when we arrived back at BHD. A Flybe Dash was landing as our coach pulled into the carpark.

BFS101
23rd Jan 2011, 16:02
Was on the BD92 last night, also A319 and arrived into BHD fine thank goodness! Was panicking when checked BHD departures on my phone on way to LHR and found the outbound BD91 cancelled. Thought the worst, but as you said operated out from BFS. The flight surprised me how busy it was for a Saturday night. Economy was pretty much full, though many seemed to be connecting from long haul.

On the point of using mobiles for getting airport information, the new BFS website doesn't display arrival / departures information on my blackberry!! Not terribly useful...

keepitlit
23rd Jan 2011, 19:15
BHD is only a Cat 1 airfield(no autoland manual landings only)Runway visual range was 300 meters. The BD88 slowed down from before IOM hoping for an improvement but no change upon reaching Magee once round the hold then a CAT 3 AUTOLAND ON 25 bfs PAX BUSED TO BHD, Aircraft positioned back to LHR to operate the BD92 which arrived early.:)

gate 22
27th Jan 2011, 09:34
What happened to the CO Newark flight today. It was on the radio travel this morning as delayed until 12.30, yet it's cancelled on the website?

Anything on MAN/BHX yet? A good opportunity for RE.

Jamie2k9
27th Jan 2011, 10:07
Bad weather.

ILS25
31st Jan 2011, 17:49
Does anyone have a sneaky suspicion that Abertis is gearing up to sell BFS ?

planenut321
31st Jan 2011, 17:51
Rumours have been circulation that Albertis are going to sell CWL as well. A company specialising in Spanish toll roads was never going to do well at airport management!

NorthernCounties
31st Jan 2011, 18:26
Would be good news if they did! But where has this sneaky suspicion come from. People in CWL will be ecstatic if this is true after the appalling decline of traffic there. Perhaps when they're sold Ryanair will open a celebratory Belfast-Cardiff route?

ILS25
31st Jan 2011, 20:22
It's just a feeling really, no rumours or anything like that. They are doing silly little things around the place, painting doors, replacing ceilings and the like, in some cases where passengers would not see. Resurfacing road surfaces here and there, again in non passenger areas. Again its only a feeling, no hard evidence, but I think they are going to sell.

gate 22
31st Jan 2011, 21:28
They are doing silly little things around the place, painting doors, replacing ceilings and the like, in some cases where passengers would not see.

I think a porfolio of recently announced routes would surely render the facility more attractive!!!!

tigger2k8
31st Jan 2011, 21:57
There was talk of CVC putting a bid in for Abertis sometime in January 2011, which is almost over.. in an hour to be precise.

Patching up road surfaces? Not that i have seen, some potholes are now sinkholes on the airside roads...25/07 has had the bumpy area around Bravo patched up, no full resurfacing for the foreseeable future anyway.. If Abertis was planning to hold onto BFS in the long term then they probably would have spent the money now to do it, instead of waiting for it to get worse and for the cost to increase even more, although in saying that it is Abertis.

gate 22
3rd Feb 2011, 12:19
Read this morning that EZY are recruiting 50 at BFS. They said it was a reflection due to a rise in passengers using them. 50 seems quite alot, is it in preparation for the summer timetable?

tigger2k8
3rd Feb 2011, 13:15
I think after last years crewing problems they are making sure they are prepared this year, as far as im aware its only seasonal work. So will be to cover the extra flights during summer.

AIRPORT66
3rd Feb 2011, 13:24
Runway 25/07 to be resurfaced second half of this year thats for certain,the work will take approx 2 months maybe longer.

tigger2k8
3rd Feb 2011, 13:45
News to me, wonder if the cost has remained around the £30m mark, bet its left until the height of summer. Best part about it is the 50-100m area they done a repair on round Bravo has to be dug up and re-done when the full resurface is done.

victoria73
3rd Feb 2011, 14:36
Thats correct the month of Nov was mentioned take roughly 2 months or more to complete.

NorthernCounties
3rd Feb 2011, 15:09
Surely if they can spend £30million odd on the runway... they could spend a bit more else where!

They could even try to bribe the DRDNI by funding a Rail Halt. It doesn't even need to be a Station!

Although some people detest Airports turning into Shopping Centres with runways attached. I.E What BAA have been doing, I support it. After all it's what LCC have made airports resort to insearch of profit. The problem is, shopping at Belfast is pityful. They've completely irradicated the ability to eat outside departures. Think off all those who come and drop people of and wait a while until there friends/family have to go through departures. Where can they eat or drink or relax together... no where! Totally lost income. Inside departures, I think there could be more. The Irish Quarter has a good amount of extorinate priced goods, which I had to fork out for, for friends in England. But there should be more.

There's so much avenues for extra revenue. Sometimes I wish I had Conor Murphys inviable job!