PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - BFS (Aldergrove)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

blueskiesni
25th Sep 2010, 21:51
Timimoun is Algerian Gas producing area- ? any NI firms on contract there-
Arrival time is more like medivac than planned executives home coming.
FAI - do base Learjets in Africa according to Wikipedia entry .
Learjet seems best bet.:)

q1W2e3R4t5
26th Sep 2010, 09:53
Brought this over from the Ryanair thread were the mods put a stop.

EI-BUD stated that Abertis were showing interest in BCN. FR have big plans for BCN.

Does anyone else think that this may open the doors for a new 'Belfast Base'? and leave the city airport to fester in politics.

Aaron9890
26th Sep 2010, 10:11
sorry about that post... was on my ipod at the time... i copied and pasted too many tiimes

tigger2k8
26th Sep 2010, 10:18
I havn't heard anything about FR in discussions with BFS... I have heard of previous discussions earlier this year before the announced BHD pull out which resulted in FR wanting a subsidy for every aircraft they land at BFS, with BFS saying no.... that along with the fact that Abertis and EZY are now on the same page with new routes starting to appear (yes its only 1.. but its the first new one in nearly 2 years?).. if BFS welcomed FR (which wont happen to be honest, unless ) it would damage the recently mended EZY and Abertis relationship.. FR has said enough negative things about BFS and the other way about over the last couple of years..

with both Abertis and FR (although FR more publicly) making negative comments on each other, especially FR in the press.. would they come back on themselves, even though hundreds of thousands read his comments about why no one wants to use an airport in the middle of nowhere:=

Aaron9890
26th Sep 2010, 10:22
Went on th BHD website and noticed they had on their avaliable routes map that the do winter sheduled flights to Geneva??? I didnt notice anyone did.. is this a new route or something

Aaron9890
26th Sep 2010, 10:28
"new routes starting to appear (yes its only 1.. but its the first new one in nearly 2 years?).. "

There are now two routes.

Zürich [begins 19 December; seasonal]
Malta [begins 15 February 2011]

tigger2k8
26th Sep 2010, 10:32
Zurich as well as Brescia (spelling?) which i think returns are charters and not bookable through EZY

honestly i dont think BFS could support 2 LCCs... unless we somehow find another couple of million passengers? :}

Jamie2k9
26th Sep 2010, 11:43
If FR were to open routes from BFS Aer Lingus would close there base and either Jet2 or Easyjet would make cuts. Ryanair would also put pressure on Thomson and Thomas Cook also.

tigger2k8
26th Sep 2010, 13:42
And the above is the exact reason why FR will not be in BFS, why would abertis want to ruin their relationship with EZY after getting it back on track? Also Abertis knows EI is the best shot at a long haul flight and a based wide body aircraft in the future, why eliminate that?

BFS101
26th Sep 2010, 19:37
If FR were to open routes from BFS Aer Lingus would close there base and either Jet2 or Easyjet would make cuts. Ryanair would also put pressure on Thomson and Thomas Cook also. Belfast has two competing airports, with each airport comes competing airlines. European routes with Aer Lingus, Jet2 and Easyjet, along with the charters. UK domestics with FlyBE, bmibaby, Easyjet etc. City of Derry allow for competition in the North West, on top of this Northern Ireland passengers continue to fly from Dublin.

Northern Ireland is a small, limited market, and in my opinion already has a level of competition to ensure realistic and value-for-money air fares. Competition between EI and EZY on a number of European routes showed that there was room for only one carrier, with EI pulling off many of the said routes.

FR, again in my opinion, will not change this. If they re-enter the Belfast market to compete on European services they will simply replace an existing carrier. The overall benefit for the NI traveller will be limited, maybe a fiver cheaper here or there (if following all the FR rules), or random £5 each way flights (although rumours that these sort of fares are set to end). A huge number of sustainable new destinations direct from NI, I just don't see.

I think that the NI aviation market has reached a level of maturity and an equilibrium established, with the established carriers trying something new now and again. FR going to BFS, or BHD post extension, will not bring travellers here shangri la, as some I think feel. Replacing EZY or EI on a route with FR, I feel would be a step back, rather than progress based on customer service reasons. But a free market economy lets the public decide, though many I feel look at cost solely, rather than value for money or convenience...

gate 22
26th Sep 2010, 21:10
Went on th BHD website and noticed they had on their avaliable routes map that the do winter sheduled flights to Geneva??? I didnt notice anyone did.. is this a new route or something

BE operated BHD to Geneva last winter.
Why do EZY not operate say 2 flights per week throughout the summer as its a region unserved but popular during the summer?

BFS101
26th Sep 2010, 21:14
Geneva was served in the past, during the summer from BFS with EZY. Dropped due to low demand.

ALLMCC
26th Sep 2010, 23:01
BHD - Geneva is a ski charter bookable through Just Flights. It has operated for the past 3 or 4 years by BMI for the first year and subsequently by Flybe.

BFS101
30th Sep 2010, 10:31
Easyjet have released their (or some of their) summer 2011 flights from Belfast. Haven't had a good look as yet, but Malta being kept on X2 week.

With expected demand to Malaga, Saturday flight on the 9 July already £128 one way!!!

tigger2k8
30th Sep 2010, 18:11
only part of the schedule, have to wait until all destinations served from BFS have got their schedules released... I see the MLA takes away the CDG flight on tuesdays for summer, they must be hoping its popular.. taking any CDG flights off during summer is crazy as they usually attract near enough full flights since EZY is the only carrier that serves it now

Aaron9890
30th Sep 2010, 19:15
BEE072Z Southampton 23:35

???

Arival

Aaron9890
30th Sep 2010, 19:54
Minorca [begins 23 May 2011; seasonal]

BFS101
30th Sep 2010, 21:16
Mahon TCX (non based unit) replacing the LS charter that was already on-sale.

gate 22
30th Sep 2010, 21:32
Mahon TCX (non based unit) replacing the LS charter that was already on-sale.

So does Jet2 operate both scheduled and charter operations to Mahon or did Thomas Cook etc block book seats on LS scheduled operations.

BFS101
30th Sep 2010, 21:52
LS operated both a charter flight on behalf of the Thomas Cook Group, and a seperate scheduled flight for summer 2010.

For summer 2011, LS was to operate a Monday charter (now the TCX flight), and their Friday scheduled flight. LS scheduled flight operates 10 June to 02 September 2011.

TCX flight operates Monday 23 May to 19 September 2011.

Aaron9890
30th Sep 2010, 22:20
anyone know that flight ^

Aaron9890
30th Sep 2010, 22:26
BEE072Z Southampton 23:35

Straightahead
1st Oct 2010, 10:24
Jet2 GCELV posn out yesterday under a FLYBE call sign to SOU and posn back in last night under a FLYBE call sign.Working for FLYBE in SOU.

SELF SERVICE C/IN
2nd Oct 2010, 11:05
Anyone know what the scandanavian registered A340 doing at BFS today?

Jinkster
2nd Oct 2010, 11:28
Just back from BFS. Anyone know what the Air Seychelles 767 is doing there?

david1994
2nd Oct 2010, 11:35
Just back from BFS. Anyone know what the Air Seychelles 767 is doing there? It is doing a military charter, came in last night at 21:00

tigger2k8
2nd Oct 2010, 13:40
the a340 is also a military flight, i think... currently sitting on 17/35

also DV8 (clothing shop) will be moving into one of the new units at BFS

Aaron9890
2nd Oct 2010, 19:23
When do they leave??? id love to see them.

It wasn't on the Flight Arrivals on the website when it came in .

is that for security reasons /??

EI-BUD
3rd Oct 2010, 07:14
BA 9226Prague12:00

BA9226 flight departing from BFS at 1225

Anybody know what this flight is for or type of aircraft or even when it is coming in?

EI-BUD

tigger2k8
3rd Oct 2010, 10:18
BA A321 - G-EUXK on stand 21 in from LHR out to PRG, for the boston ice hockey team... Poor servisair, lifting all the cargo onto trucks then having to offload empty ULDs then load the ULDs with the cargo on the trucks

Bfs bloke
4th Oct 2010, 21:57
I think it was taking troops to nbo....

BFS101
4th Oct 2010, 22:18
Boston Bruins to Prague like tigger2k8 said...

News - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news/3/222/british-airways-on-a-flying-visit-to-belfast-international.html)

tigger2k8
4th Oct 2010, 22:31
the wording of that article would nearly make you think they are sucking up to BA to get them back... not the bold and underlining parts

British Airways on a flying visit to Belfast International

Published: 04 October 2010
A welcome sight at Belfast International Airport
It has been nine years since a British Airways aircraft touched down at Belfast International Airport, but the british flag carrier made a flying trip to Belfast this weekend to transport superstar ice hockey team, Boston Bruins who were intown to place the Belfast Giants.
The A321 stoped off in Belfast to pick up the team as they headed off to Prague to play another match.
Aer lingus offer a codeshare service to the Bristish Airways global hub at London Heathrow. For more information on routes and fares log on to ba.com or contact your local travel agent.

gate 22
5th Oct 2010, 07:29
It has been nine years since a British Airways aircraft touched down at Belfast International Airport

Hate to be pedantic but didn't a BA Concorde touch down on Tuesday 21th October 2003 (nearly 7 years ago). I googled for the exact date but I did see her land and park, not far from the A321, on the last UK tour flight and it would have been around 2003.

gate 22
5th Oct 2010, 07:40
Aer lingus offer a codeshare service to the Bristish Airways global hub at London Heathrow. For more information on routes and fares log on to ba.com or contact your local travel agent.

If BA had a few slots available at LHR could they not lease them out to EI for use on the BFS/LHR route. EI could then start to dwarf the BD operation out of BHD, which would also benefit BA.

Or could EI not transfer a slot across from Cork
BFS/LHR 31388 PAX in August 2010 15% rise
Cork/LHR 36856 PAX in August 2010 23% drop

Provance
5th Oct 2010, 08:29
You're forgetting that at Cork EI have gone from 5 flights a day to LHR (Summer '09) to 4 flights a day to LHR (Summer '10) + 2 flights a day to LGW. Hence the apparent drop in numbers to LHR from ORK

Jamie2k9
5th Oct 2010, 15:55
4 of the ORK - LHR were operated by a A321 and the other with a A320 during 2009. For summer 2011 EI will operate the ORK - LHR with a A321.

en2r
5th Oct 2010, 16:54
Or could EI not transfer a slot across from Cork
BFS/LHR 31388 PAX in August 2010 15% rise
Cork/LHR 36856 PAX in August 2010 23% drop
Yes, as has been mentioned above, the reason why Cork has seen a drop in passengers (and Belfast has seen an increase) is that the 5th Daily rotation was transferred from Cork to Belfast at the start of the Summer season when Aer Lingus launched a twice daily Cork to Gatwick service. Aer Lingus also downgraded Cork to Heathrow from an A321 to an A320 (Overall Aer Lingus Capacity on Cork to London is almost identical to last summer but now to two different London airports instead of just Heathrow previously). As mentioned above, Aer Lingus are reinstating the A321 on Cork to Heathrow next Summer.

Aaron9890
8th Oct 2010, 21:54
aE3 9007- Guiseppe Verdi-parma

what

flying officer kite
8th Oct 2010, 21:56
Unless im mistaken its an Alpi Eagles F100 carrying the Italian team out

tigger2k8
8th Oct 2010, 22:02
^correct, eagle airlines (according to tjhe name on the side of the plane) F100, arrived last night, 4 hours late, tech issues and diverted to VCE before finally reaching BFS

BFS/BHD
8th Oct 2010, 23:57
Aironi rugby team flying out on that one. Italian football team flying out of BHD in the morning to Pisa with Alitalia.

BFS101
12th Oct 2010, 14:48
Aer Lingus have released their seats to Rome from Belfast!! From start of the summer season, every Tuesday and Saturday. First thing out on Tuesday morning, and evening departure on the Saturday.

tigger2k8
13th Oct 2010, 22:04
Good to see the FCO back next year..

Loginair will be performing cargo runs for Royal Mail for 6 weeks in the run up to Christmas... aircraft will be based in BFS as far as im aware for the duration of the operation

on a side note, does anyone know what CO plans to do or what they could do when 25/07 gets resurfaced next year? dont think 17/35 suitable for a 757? can the runway be resurfaced and opened at certain times or does it require it to close?

speedbirdATC
13th Oct 2010, 23:45
dont think 17/35 suitable for a 757?

Im pretty sure 17/35 is long enough. 757's land elsewhere with much less runway to play with.

Torque2
14th Oct 2010, 09:40
Yes 17/35 is long enough to land on but it won't allow operations to the Canaries much less TransAtlantic ops (unless there is a gale blowing down the runway).

tigger2k8
14th Oct 2010, 22:28
thanks for the replies, i thought taking off would be a problem..

we could see EZY using an A320 to BFS to the MLA flight.. word on the street is the A319 wont make it if there is a full passenger and baggage load.. so its either leave people behind, bags behind, fuel stop or use a A320..

dont quote me on it, but it sounds like it could be true.. weight issues happen from time to time on BFS-FAO, and MLA is further than FAO..

as for the LTN flight.. we could see it back at BFS... EZY currently split on the decision...

eastern wiseguy
14th Oct 2010, 23:01
thought taking off would be a problem..

Taking off is NO problem...reaching Newark in one jump might be:p

mysecretsmile
15th Oct 2010, 10:47
It's hard to understand why Easy continue with the LTN flight at BHD. It's probably only a matter of time until it returns to BFS, although it may depend on whether Easy can be convinced to give London Stansted ago from BHD too?

Surely makes more sense to keep all their routes at one airport (BFS), with no runway and operating hour restrictions and where they operate a base?

BFS101
15th Oct 2010, 11:37
Not sure what's going on but a big Easyjet boss flew into BHD this morning for a meeting and having pictures taken, etc. Maybe some news to come??

Although from the same source, that Ryanair may hold onto the STN route from BHD, operated by STN aircraft. Just rumours at this stage though.

tigger2k8
15th Oct 2010, 11:46
it would be the sensible option if FR held onto STN, as im sure this was probably one of the best peforming flights for them with business travel.. it would also explain (if true) why EZY has not increased flights to STN from BFS, or added flights from BHD..

as smart as i think it would be for EZY to have their operations running from 1 airport, i do think it would be good for them to hold onto their slice of the london market at BHD... all we can do is sit and wait.. expect news within the next couple of weeks if anything is to change

edit - could this be the reason for press at BHD?

UTV News - Airport posters against trafficking dangers (http://www.u.tv/News/Airport-posters-against-trafficking-dangers/50dc9084-e19d-49df-a9bd-16122efe9fb6)

gate 22
15th Oct 2010, 12:57
Not sure what's going on but a big Easyjet boss flew into BHD this morning for a meeting and having pictures taken

Probably on the Luton flight, and therefore he won't be going back until tonight, or will he fly back with FR. Or he could go up the road and have another meeting at BFS then get an earlier flight back to STN.

flying officer kite
15th Oct 2010, 13:12
taking off on 17 would be interesting, Newark direct would likely be out of the question, though i have heard other pilots say that on the 757 17 has very few restrictions..who knows. A couple of years ago in bad weather i did see all 3 of the cargo widebodies use 17.

Regarding an A320 for Malta, im travelling on 1 of the services so would be quite happy if it was. A319s have done direct flights to Croatia, which is apparantly 30 mins closer than Malta to Belfast, and the pilots were working out their fuel allowances down to the last kg, it was that tight

flying officer kite
15th Oct 2010, 13:18
Also, if a 320 was based in Belfast, what are the chances flights to the Canaries and Greece/Turkey are started? Its a massive market and i thought they would love their share of it. Thinking back a few years when the likes of Onur Air were doing cheapies in widebodies etc

Thad Jarvis
15th Oct 2010, 19:25
There are no plans for an orange A320 in BFS. The Malta block time is something in the region of 4hrs. That should prove interesting as I believe the BFS guys have been off loading passengers regularly on Spanish flights due weight this summer

Torque2
15th Oct 2010, 21:46
It is not necessary to offload passengers to any spanish destination with an A319 out of BFS if 25/07 available, it may be if only 17/35 is available. Something doesn't add up.

Husky One
15th Oct 2010, 23:41
what doesn't add up is the load sheet when the MTOW says 64T and not 66T or 68T. Meanwhile down in Mecca upon Sussex they get 66T airframes to do bleedin Amsterdam and back. Easyjet's Spanish routes have been rammed full all summer.The amount of off-loading has been significant. Pretty poor show for NI's biggest operator :sad:

tigger2k8
16th Oct 2010, 00:20
as Husky has said, its not the runway, its the aircraft they base at BFS obviously they rotate quite often, the problems only happen at BFS when theres a full pax load and full baggage load... the majority of the time the 64T 319s do the job perfectly well, but if theres 156 PAX and 130+ bags and extra fuel required.. then thats when the problems start... i dont think any PAX got offloaded this summer, dont quote me on that though, but there was baggage left behind on a number of occasions

Husky One
16th Oct 2010, 01:47
Bags are only offloaded for a small overload. Ops prefer to dump pax. The majority of the problems were on the return legs but I can assure you there were plenty of offloaded pax this summer as well as bags and even the odd fuel diversion.

tigger2k8
16th Oct 2010, 02:13
ah that explains it, i would only notice the outbound, the only major inbound i recall this summer was from FAO, 63 bags offloaded in FAO as a 64T(i think) was used when the original aircraft went tech in BFS which resulted in 34 bags offloaded on the outbound that evening, although that was because 200kgs extra of fuel was accidently put on..

hopefully they can figure something out for the BFS-MLA, would be a shame if the first new route in awhile is plagued with weight issues on full loads

Torque2
16th Oct 2010, 09:34
Well there you go then, if you put aircraft on a route that have such low MTOW's then you obviously will have the problem. That is probably why longer routes are not planned regularly. 17/35 will make the problem worse.

frequentflyer2
16th Oct 2010, 11:03
How does this offloading of passengers work? At what stage are the passengers told they've been offloaded and how are they compensated? As I've said in other threads I had a less than happy experience while checking in for an easyJet flight at BIA last August. I'm sure the charming, polite and extremely helpful lady who finally gave Mrs FF and I our boarding passes on that occasion would have her own inimitable way of telling passengers they had been offloaded.

tigger2k8
16th Oct 2010, 11:50
in most cases when it comes to the offloading of PAX / bags, its only realised when the flight closes (approx -40min before depature) so finding out at check-in is slim, but in some cases they know in advance and will offer the below compensation if they find volunteers at this stage, if PAX need to be offloaded on short notice then before boarding an annoucement would be made to look for volunteers... usually the compensation is enough to get people to volunteer

i think compensation wise its free accomodation / travel to hotel, put on the next available flight and compensation of around £200, maybe slightly more... as for the offloading of baggage the order is generally... sporting equipment then suitcases.. its up to the handling agency and ofcourse the airline to inform passengers.. however sometimes PAX dont find out until they land, which happened on the flight inbound from FAO that i mentioned a few posts up..

frequentflyer2
16th Oct 2010, 13:38
That's good. If you're not in a hurry it would almost be worthwhile volunteering. It would probably choke the kind and caring soul to whom I referred in my previous post to tell passengers these benefits are available.

Jamie2k9
16th Oct 2010, 14:08
Easyjet flights to Malta are very expensive compared to Ryanair from Dublin.

BFS - MLA - dep 15 March & return 22 March - £182.88
DUB - MLA - dep 14 March & return 21 March - €139.98
(fares for 1 passenger including luggage)

€139.98 is around £122.38

It doesn't cost a lot to travel to Dublin.

JonnyBfs
16th Oct 2010, 14:50
Most airlines have released S11 flights, but still we have no flights to Canada or Orlando.
Maybe I've missed something? Anyone know anything?

tigger2k8
16th Oct 2010, 18:14
Jamie, that's because the MLA route has received strong bookings, I myself would rather pay the EZY price than to drive 2hours each way, which would more than likely close the gap on the prices with the cost of fuel, or a bus ticket

FF, that's the normal compensation anyway, however its probably subject to change depending on circumstances such as length of flight etc etc, ground handlers also have to wait until it gets authorised by EZY ops, so until then nothing is said

True Blue
16th Oct 2010, 18:38
Tigger28

do you realise that when you are considering flights from Dublin, you do not count cost of getting there, car parking, what price do you put on your life for the 4/5 hours spent getting to Dub and back. When going from Dub, all of these are free. It is only if you fly from Bfs that these charges apply. That is why, if we get direct flights to Europe from Bhd, we will have an explosion of new visitors to NI. They can't come now as it costs far too much to get anywhere from Bfs. Cheaper for them to fly to Dub and travel up, no cost to that you see. How much can you park for at Bfs, let me see, £3 per day. Far too expensive.

True Blue

Jamie2k9
16th Oct 2010, 19:02
Most airlines have released S11 flights, but still we have no flights to Canada or Orlando.
Maybe I've missed something? Anyone know anything?

Air Transat - DUB - YYZ have increased capacity by putting a A330 on one flight from Dublin for summer 2011. The others will be operated by a A310. There will be an extra 92 seats available weekly but it does go via SNN. To the best of my knowledge all flights this year were done by a A310.

tigger2k8
16th Oct 2010, 20:36
Tigger28

do you realise that when you are considering flights from Dublin, you do not count cost of getting there, car parking, what price do you put on your life for the 4/5 hours spent getting to Dub and back. When going from Dub, all of these are free. It is only if you fly from Bfs that these charges apply. That is why, if we get direct flights to Europe from Bhd, we will have an explosion of new visitors to NI. They can't come now as it costs far too much to get anywhere from Bfs. Cheaper for them to fly to Dub and travel up, no cost to that you see. How much can you park for at Bfs, let me see, £3 per day. Far too expensive.

True Blue

lol, are my sarcasim detectors working tonight? if not i shall edit :eek::}

id travel from DUB if i was saving £100+ on long haul though, even then id dread the trip back up north after getting back from holiday :(

cuthere
16th Oct 2010, 20:56
what price do you put on your life for the 4/5 hours spent getting to Dub and back

Folks, from several parts of NI, it can take almost that long to get to BFS and back. Not everyone lives in Antrim/Ballymena/Belfast.

As for public transport, I know for a fact it's cheaper (and often quicker) to get from BHD to Derry (for instance), than from BFS. Hire cars/parking etc is a different matter mind.

gate 22
16th Oct 2010, 22:17
Folks, from several parts of NI, it can take almost that long to get to BFS and back. Not everyone lives in Antrim/Ballymena/Belfast.

What are you going to do up there at Londonderry airport when the A26 becomes a dual carriageway, Belfast will be really easy to get to from as far up as Coleraine?

cuthere
16th Oct 2010, 23:02
Infrastructural improvements in the NW take a veeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyy long time Gate.

I'll not hold my breath, though you're more than welcome to hold yours.

True Blue
16th Oct 2010, 23:07
not sure I can accept that it can be quicker to get from Bhd to Derry than from Bfs, all things being equal.

True Blue

cuthere
16th Oct 2010, 23:24
I was referring to public transport TB. The Airporter is the quickest way from BFS-Derry (unless you spend £50-60 on a taxi). Average fare is £28 rtn. If you land at the airport between Airporters, you can either wait up to 1.5 hours for the next one, or you can spend £10 rtn into Belfast city centre, which can take anything up to 40 minutes depending on time of day, then £17 rtn on a Goldliner to Derry (1 hr 50 minutes).

From BHD, £3 rtn from airport to Europa (tkes about 15 minutes), buses every 30 minutes to Derry (often more frequent at peak times), paying £17 rtn on the Goldliner.

I've driven BFS to Derry in little under an hour. At the same time, I've taken nearly 2 hours during Friday rush hour.

True Blue
16th Oct 2010, 23:58
You could take the bus from Bfs to Antrim and then the train, depending on times. Buses every hour to Antrim.

TB

cuthere
17th Oct 2010, 00:11
Aye, I've thought about that in the past too. Train takes 1hr 40 from Antrim to the Waterside Train Station and are unfortunately intermittent at best.

I think this all reflects on under-investment in NI as a whole, but undeniably the NW in particular. BFS should be much more accessible to NI's second city than it is (in lieu of LDY having a larger route network). The train line goes pretty close to the place, so a railstop is a no brainer.

Kavs8
17th Oct 2010, 19:37
BFS-BCN with Aer Lingus gone from 13 November 2010. Returns March 29 2011 as four times weekly.

Aaron9890
17th Oct 2010, 19:46
LS 6493 Biarritz/bayonne 23:10 22:25

BFS101
17th Oct 2010, 20:23
LS 6493 Biarritz/bayonne 23:10 22:25Ulster rugby charter for the Heineken Cup match in Biarritz.

tigger2k8
18th Oct 2010, 10:36
Kavs8, thats normal for winter now, base aircraft drop to 2 until next year in march, ALC, FAO, BCN and FCO get suspended

edit - ah, i didn't realise BCN was previously on sale for winter.. is a strange one

Jamie2k9
18th Oct 2010, 10:42
Did BFS - BCN not operate last winter??. As ORK - BCN is being dropped aswell EI must want people to go through DUB or is it charges at BCN.

BFS101
18th Oct 2010, 11:09
Kavs8, thats normal for winter now, base aircraft drop to 2 until next year in march, ALC, FAO, BCN and FCO get suspendedOne aircraft is dedicated to LHR, while the second unit does either a TFS or ACE, with Malaga X4 week after the ACE. The absence of BCN that was previously on-sale for this winter, now leaves a gap in the schedule X3 times a week, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday before the TFS flights.

Last winter EI operated to Munich which has since been pulled.

Did BFS - BCN not operate last winter??. As ORK - BCN is being dropped aswell EI must want people to go through DUB or is it charges at BCN.
Easyjet still operating to BCN from Belfast through the winter. More than enough capacity I'd say during the low demand months.

Question is what will EI replace the BCN flights with, if any?? Will the aircraft sit on the apron three mornings a week??

ara01jbb
18th Oct 2010, 13:52
I think this all reflects on under-investment in NI as a whole, but undeniably the NW in particular. BFS should be much more accessible to NI's second city than it is (in lieu of LDY having a larger route network). The train line goes pretty close to the place, so a railstop is a no brainer.

The line does indeed go right past BFS, but no trains use it anymore.

Since the Mossley Viaduct re-opened, it's been quicker Belfast - Antrim that way rather than via Lisburn and Aldergrove. There are some more trains due for delivery next year, which should replace all the slam door and Larne Line trains. But a new station at BFS would cost hundreds of thousands of pounds (they're very expensive things to build, in terms of accessibility and the endless regulations relating to railways) *and* you'd have to persuade NIR to invest in a new service (Belfast - Lisburn - Antrim) in addition to the existing services. Plus it's almost all single track so a nightmare to schedule convenient clockface departures.

On the ongoing debate re: the appeal of BFS/BHD vs DUB, it's worth noting that Aircoach are quitting the Belfast / DUB run even sooner than they previously announced. The last bus runs on Wednesday, not the end of the month as previously announced.

NorthernCounties
18th Oct 2010, 18:29
The problem is when Northern Irish ministers have to deal with real problems, I frequently use BHX airport as I study there, and it has circa 9m pax per year, it's station came along around the 70's, (You can assume how low the pax no. was then). Yet Conor Murphy spouts some dribble saying that for an Airport to have a rail link it needs at least 10m pax?! Someone needs to inform those in GB about this! This would also support a circular route from Belfast to Antrim and Lisburn. Search Northern Ireland Network Enhancement on Wikipedia to see other suggestions for improvement which unfortunately will fall on deaf ears!

Aaron9890
19th Oct 2010, 10:51
Any news on air canada at bfs. I remember someone saying that they were holding talks together about it

Aaron9890
19th Oct 2010, 11:09
News - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news/)

tigger2k8
19th Oct 2010, 12:17
Any news on air canada at bfs. I remember someone saying that they were holding talks together about it

nothing new yet, last i heard there was talks with air canada looking a subsidy but that was months ago:rolleyes:

Aaron9890
19th Oct 2010, 19:28
Does anyone know what aircrft thomas cook have based at BFS

is it 2 a320's

because i remember seeing a thomas cook scandinavia at belfast when i was travelling to reus. i think it was an A330-343 it was a big plane anyway

Aaron9890
19th Oct 2010, 19:38
Actually is it 3 aircraft based at BFS

cause on the arrivals / departures list they have

TCX837K
TCX553L
TCX917L

Torque2
19th Oct 2010, 21:07
No, there is 1 aircraft based at BFS, it is currently an A321 which will change first week in November to an A320 for the winter. The other aircraft rotate through to do specific flights and are not BFS based.

tigger2k8
20th Oct 2010, 07:24
Just an update on the EZY MLA flight, there's 2 options EZY are looking at

1. A320, even though some have said its not happening
2. Cap the passengers at 120

BFS101
20th Oct 2010, 09:25
Seems a little strange that EZY would put the seats on sale without knowing if BFS was to get a suitable aircraft.

A320 availability surely should be known well in advance, especially with the summer 2011 flights now on sale. If capping the capacity of the 319 to 120, surely will affect profitability of the route. Will EZY adjust seat prices to compensate??

Seems a little back to front. Decide on a new route, and then once on sale, figure out how they'll actually be able to fly it??

tigger2k8
20th Oct 2010, 10:43
I'd have though the same BFS101...

Also EI is to replace some of the BCN flights with an increased flights to other current destinations

BFS101
20th Oct 2010, 11:26
Also EI is to replace some of the BCN flights with an increased flights to other current destinationsAny more details?? One aircraft is dedicated to LHR, while the other does TFS X3, ACE x4 and AGP X4 after the ACE's. The vacant times are X3 morning slots, required to be back at BFS to operate the afternoon Tenerife.

So will Malaga go daily??? Or is to destinations served in Summer but pulled for winter, FAO or ALC???

tigger2k8
20th Oct 2010, 14:32
as far as i know they have tweaked the schedule, on the days that BCN gets replaced whatever flight the aircraft does later in the day is pushed back slightly, meaning a later return to BFS... at what stage these flights will be put on the schedule or what dates they run, i dont know, but i think theres around 22 flights to be put in over the duration of the winter schedule.. alot less than what was pulled

no doubt more details will be soon, but thats all ive heard so far :zzz:

edit - just to add in, it could change again, EI had the confirmed schedule up (which had BCN) and that changed just 2 weeks ago

gate 22
22nd Oct 2010, 09:20
So with the departure from BHD next week of FR, has BFS only managed to attain an extra LPL and EMA rotation? 800,000 passengers up for grabs hmmm! no Canada, Orlando, Brussels.......I sometimes wonder about management up there.

tigger2k8
22nd Oct 2010, 10:13
Extra BRS flights compared to summer, as for STN, nothing yet...think they are waiting to decide on the LTN first... To be honest you could get away with x4 to STN a day in winter, apart from peak times

BFS101
22nd Oct 2010, 11:53
Though maybe rather than just getting bums on seats, EZY and others will take this reduction in capacity to improve yields to a more sustainable level on their routes, with over capacity already potentially existing to many of the former FR destinations, or neighbouring airports.

When you quote that FR handled 800K passengers from BHD, many of these could well be opportunistic passengers, travelling on day trips or weekends for £10 return. Would be interesting to know per centage of BHD passengers on promotional fares, and average fares from BHD.

EZY and the other airlines operating from Northern Ireland, tend to only offer more realistic sustainable fares, EZY base fare usually about £40 return. So out of the 800K former FR passengers, many may not choose to avail of other airline services as the price is going to be much higher. Those who were savvy could travel many times a year with FR for basically little or nothing, and I personally think the remaining airlines are not proactively chasing these types of passengers.

tigger2k8
22nd Oct 2010, 17:01
if the flights fill up or get close to capacity then they will no doubt look at adding more.. plenty of gaps in winter schedules, but why add a wave of new flights not knowing if everyone will start flying with EZY from BFS instead?As BFS101 has said, EZYs fares are more realistic.. i think they are taking a bit of a risk as it is with the extra BFS-LPL flights, also WW is taking a risk with the extra EMA flights, even tho BE will be serving the 2 routes from BHD where they originally got dropped by FR

BFS101
22nd Oct 2010, 17:39
HRH The Queen officially opens the £10 million refurbished and expanded terminal...

News - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news/3/224/hrh-the-queen-officially-opens-the-10-million-re-furbished-and-expanded-terminal.html)

Accompanied by His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh, Her Majesty also heard plans by the airport to invest a further £50 million in a range of essential facilities over the course of the next five years. The privately funded Terminal project involves a major re-configuration of "airside" and "landside" facilities.Good to hear of ongoing modernisation works at BFS.

tigger2k8
22nd Oct 2010, 18:06
the amount of work they put into the airport in the last few days for her visit was crazy, she needs to visit more often..

*Windows washed
*Apron scrubbed clean, almost glistening :oh:
*Stands 16+17 out of use, classed as a "sterile area" They even removed a section of the "go-kart track"
*All of Servisair and Menzies equipment usually parked between stand 15 and 16, moved
*Potholes filled in (still many more left)
*Toilets at the top of gate 16 now part of the business lounge (may change back)
*The Welcome to Belfast sign was on, but in true BIA style... the S and T in Belfast... didnt work :ouch:

and much more behind the scenes, including a search for velvet toilet roll for the toilets :8

As quoted by BFS101:

plans by the airport to invest a further £50 million in a range of essential facilities over the course of the next five years. if they did all the recent improvements with £10m, it should be good to see what £50m will do, i hope this includes the much needed pier for stands 12-15 :}, i would class that as essential and the baggage bay could do with being extended... anyone who has ever been in it during summer or the Christmas holidays will know the system cant cope

Aaron9890
23rd Oct 2010, 13:54
TCX176P Manchester 19:30

??

Fernanjet
23rd Oct 2010, 14:27
TCX176P Manchester 19:30

??

i assume this is a question about the flight number mentioned trying to find out what it is?

TCX176P is an A321 positioning to Manchester to operate as TCX176K to Izmir tonight....the aircraft will then operate inbound from Izmir as TCX176L to Belfast.....
There are no passengers departing from Belfast tonight....they originate in Manchester.

Next weekend TCX176P will operate from Belfast to Izmir direct
is that what you meant??

Aaron9890
23rd Oct 2010, 18:12
yeah thanks

Jamie2k9
24th Oct 2010, 16:05
Jet 2 to operate BFS - TFS for the winter on Fridays. It's not on sale for summer 2011 and all other LS routes are.

Aaron9890
24th Oct 2010, 19:47
If anyone could be bothered telling me,

how many aircraft does each airline have based at BFS

it would be nice to know

Jamie2k9
24th Oct 2010, 20:03
Easyjet - 6 A319
Aer Lingus - 2 A320 during winter and 3 A320 during summer
Thomson Airways - A320 but next summer it will be a B738
Thomas Cook - A320 during winter and A321 during summer (other a/c come and do routes but not based)
Jet2 - 2 B733 summer only (one a/c MON - FRI and two on SAT - SUN)

Aaron9890
24th Oct 2010, 21:42
The thomson plane is a first choice so does this mean the livery will be changed

Jamie2k9
24th Oct 2010, 22:21
As FICA did not have any B737 in there fleet it will be in the Thomson livery.

Thomson will have no a/c based in BFS between November and next May.

tigger2k8
25th Oct 2010, 02:36
EZY will be 5 A319s in the winter
I think Jet2 was 3 during the peak of summer, will be 1 in winter.. as far as im aware this is the cargo aircraft, not sure if it will do any PAX flights, probably will though... quite a bit of maintenance is carried out at BFS now.. G-CELK had a new engine fitted last week.. the first start up was smokey and some flames (which is normal) but i bet the PAX waiting to get on an EZY flight where a bit :eek:

ards_boy
25th Oct 2010, 14:53
Anybody know what the score is with replacing the Onur air/ Turkuaz flights ie the goldtrail ones? During peak season it was generally all 321's going out full (220 ppl) Surely if only a portion of these passengers are accesible it would be worth one of the BFS airlines having a go?
10 flights a week mostly 321's (odd 320 / MD) surely it's worth EZY/LS/EI having a go at Bodrum or Dalaman?

Jamie2k9
25th Oct 2010, 16:28
surely it's worth EZY/LS/EI having a go at Bodrum or Dalaman?

As Aer Lingus is an Irish registered company. If they were to operate flights to Turkey they could only be from the Republic of Ireland. This is because Turkey has no aviation agreement with the EU.

victoria73
25th Oct 2010, 16:48
plans by the airport to spend 50million over the next 5 years includes the cost of the runway resurfasing witch will cost 30million so not much change for much more to be done maybe the pier out to stand 15

tigger2k8
25th Oct 2010, 17:58
Yup, just heard that yesterday victoria, the best part about it is they had a quote to do it a couple of years ago for half of that. They are looking to see if its cheaper to use local contractors or to fly in their own team from spain... The 30million does not include the taxyways...

As far as I've heard, due to the cost of the resurfacing their pier is delayed for the forseeable future, if they could put up a temporary system, similar to what's at 28 and 29 that will atleast keep PAX dry and half warm

victoria73
25th Oct 2010, 21:11
looking at the monarch thread they are operating flights to canada for summer2011 from bhx and gatwick using b757 pity couldnt attract them to operate the toronto route from bfs right size of aircraft for a 3 flights per week service.

Aaron9890
25th Oct 2010, 21:21
When are the supposidly making the west and south piers ( aircraft stands )?

airhumberside
25th Oct 2010, 21:42
As Aer Lingus is an Irish registered company. If they were to operate flights to Turkey they could only be from the Republic of Ireland. This is because Turkey has no aviation agreement with the EU.
In March the EU and Turkey did sign an agreement. However it wasn't full open skies
EUROPA - Press Releases - EU and Turkey initial civil aviation agreement (http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/10/369&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN)
The European Union and the Turkish authorities have today initialled an aviation agreement which will remove nationality restrictions in the bilateral air services agreements between EU Member States and Turkey. This agreement will allow any EU airline to operate flights between any EU Member State and Turkey, where a bilateral agreement with Turkey exists and traffic rights are available.
Now I think UK-Turkey is open skies, at least on UK Regions-Turkey Regions routes. So Aer Lingus should be able to operate BFS-Turkey

Jamie2k9
25th Oct 2010, 22:42
So Aer Lingus should be able to operate BFS-Turkey

Even if they are allowed to fly between BFS - Turkey it's not going to happen in the near future. DUB will get flights before BFS.

It will most lightly be Jet2 who would fly between BFS - Turkey but they need more B757's to do so.

As EZY can't operate a A319 (full) to Malta and they don't seem to want to base a A320 in BFS. If they did base a A320 they could do a lot more longer range routes and there would be high demand for them.

tigger2k8
25th Oct 2010, 23:18
Aaron, i would say after 2013 before we hear anything... unless they plan to invest more, although in saying that.. they could probably build a pier with the remaining £20m, but im sure its pushed well back...

Jamie, i would normally agree with DUB getting flights first, but with the market gap in BFS at the minute on turkey flights, it could be worth it for them to run from BFS

Jamie2k9
25th Oct 2010, 23:34
Have any of the package holidays company's put on extra flights for 2011? As Goldtrail went bust in the middle of the summer season and it would of been to late to add more flights.

Torque2
26th Oct 2010, 08:32
There isn't much more you can pack into a summer programme for the current charter operators unless you give up low profit Spanish routes and go for more Turkey flights. That will happen next year. The Spanish routes will be available for the exremely short haul 319's and the Turkish routes with no Spanish /French ATC shennanigans will be taken on by longer range aircraft.

Resurfacing 07/25 will put a spanner in the works though, 7 tonnes short on 17 and 5-6 tonnes short on 35 for DLM/AYT and LCA.

victoria73
26th Oct 2010, 16:27
If ezy have no desire to base the A320 at Bfs what is the problem the market is there for the airbus 320 on a lot of there routes or are they looseing interest in belfast as well as other carriers seem to be no development what so ever. Are they just going to put bigger planes in to airports in there mainland bases and fly to lots of new places just ignore Bfs is the problem BFSand its owners and bosses or what.

tigger2k8
26th Oct 2010, 16:42
I wouldn't say they have no desire for an A320, it has been talked about for the last 2 years but none have appeared, but its been brought back to life again as its currently one of the options under review for the BFS-MLA issue. Losing interest in Belfast/Northern Ireland? Not a chance.. between the domestic market and the populations love of the sun, EZY should be in N.Ireland for a long time..

If they decide to cap the flights to 120, theres a potential of 864 people being denied travel (one way) in a period of 3 months, based on 2 flights per week with 156 booked during summer... i dont think thats the sort of publicity EZY wants

Tower Ranger
26th Oct 2010, 18:50
Resurfacing 07/25 may not be as big a show stopper as you think if they do it in the same way that City did a few years back. The work was done at night and the rwy remained open 06.00 - 22.00.

speedbirdATC
26th Oct 2010, 19:25
Resurfacing 07/25 may not be as big a show stopper as you think if they do it in the same way that City did a few years back. The work was done at night and the rwy remained open 06.00 - 22.00.

Id say your right on the money there Tower Ranger. LDY had resurfacing and an extra 200m added to 08/26 about 2 years ago and all that was done during the night too.

eastern wiseguy
26th Oct 2010, 19:35
Yeah but BFS has a PROPER runway........not like those little micky mouse provincial ones.....

Removes tongue from cheek:E

cuthere
26th Oct 2010, 19:49
Yeah but BFS has a PROPER runway

Shame about the rest of the place...........!

(tongue, cheek, waiting for Gate's tuppence worth etc etc)

speedbirdATC
26th Oct 2010, 19:52
Yeah but BFS has a PROPER runway........not like those little micky mouse provincial ones.....

In terms of length, then yes id agree. If BFS are going to be forced into using 17/35 next year that gives pilots 1891m to play with. So with BHD having 1829m, that means LDY will have the longest useable runway in NI with 1967m.

Tongue still in your cheek?:rolleyes:

Aaron9890
26th Oct 2010, 20:18
Was just looking at BFS on wikipedia and it says that thomson are starting flights to Rovaniemi (Lapland) [begins 10 December]

eastern wiseguy
26th Oct 2010, 20:19
Yeah...shame almost no one wants to fly there Maybe we can ask the Continental to fuel stop ......Tongue FIRMLY in cheek..:)

Jamie2k9
26th Oct 2010, 20:20
Most airports carry out maintenance during the night. A while back Dublin closed the main runway 10/28 between 00:00 - 05:30 every night for a number of weeks. They carry out maintainer between Feb-May so it doesn't affect flights in the summer which come in well after midnight. If BFS done this it wouldn't be a problem.

Was just looking at BFS on wikipedia and it says that thomson are starting flights to Rovaniemi (Lapland) [begins 10 December]

Only operate twice

tigger2k8
26th Oct 2010, 20:22
I would say it will be done in stages, overnight or during the day when no "heavy" flights are arriving/departing as Tower Ranger has said about the city. If its not done this way there will be disruption to flights.. most of the cargo flights during the night should be able to use 17/35.. as Maersk, DHL and TNT should all be out by 2200... EI has a nightstopper round midnight sometimes... not sure about TCX.. that leaves say 4-6 hours per night to do the work, maybe more on the likes of a Saturday when theres no cargo and most nightstoppers are in earlier

Could you even call 25/07 a proper runway, its slowly becoming as smooth as a country lane :}

Aaron9890
26th Oct 2010, 20:37
Only operate twice, what do you mean???

only twice specially for this christmas???

Jamie2k9
26th Oct 2010, 20:54
Ya they only twice for Christmas trips to Lapland.
Jet2 will probally have a few from BFS as well.

gate 22
26th Oct 2010, 21:41
tongue, cheek, waiting for Gate's tuppence worth etc etc)

Actually I can't comment as I haven't been there since June 2009. What about 'the improvements', how far can you access the airport without flying? Is there a viewing area for non fliers?

Most airports carry out maintenance during the night.

But BFS isn't like most airports, no doubt they will do it the long cheap way that will only frustrate all their clients.

tigger2k8
26th Oct 2010, 22:27
Actually I can't comment as I haven't been there since June 2009. What about 'the improvements', how far can you access the airport without flying? Is there a viewing area for non fliers?Basically.. landside is... Drop-Off, Check-In and Domestic arrivals thats as far as you can get without a ticket or staff pass.. no viewing area... however if you are flying you can now sit in the relocated starbucks which is located in the old duty free and look out, this is directly below the Welcome to Belfast sign

i do hope that the viewing gallery is moved back landside, as it does give people something to do while they wait to pick people up, thats if they can actually find it in them to pay for parking :\:eek:

all the current drainage work which is causing all the frustration with back tracking is done 9-5, Mon-Fri... so..:oh:

Tower Ranger
26th Oct 2010, 23:10
Eastern, if you wanna see a proper rwy come on out to the sunny side some time, our short rwy is 4000m.

Jamie2k9
27th Oct 2010, 09:42
Onur air will be flying from BFS in 2011. Dalaman and Bodrum will operate once weekly.

Holidays 4U | Summer flights to Turkey 2011 (http://www.h4u.co.uk/SummerFlights_11.asp)

Aaron9890
27th Oct 2010, 10:50
what they will probably f=do is reopen the viewing gallery but make people pay to use it

JonnyBfs
27th Oct 2010, 12:09
Bmibaby Phase 2 S11 Released
Again, BFS -> MAN, BHX, EMA over the Summer period, with Cardiff not returning for the Summer schedule.
Timetable much the same, early morning + evening flights!!:ok:

gate 22
27th Oct 2010, 12:53
Cardiff not returning for the Summer schedule

According to the WW thread there are plenty of slots available for flights in the Cardiff schedule, so who knows?

Aaron9890
27th Oct 2010, 14:16
Again on Wikipedia i have come across something. I noticed while on the page for Glasgow International Airport that there were flights for Air Atlanta Icelandic to Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver and London Gatwick. London Gatwick also have the same flights but obviously to Glasgow instead of Gatwick. I also will add that they are operating for Canada Extra... never hear of them in my life, maybe they might have a go at BFS...

If you want to see the page for yourself ..Glasgow International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_International_Airport)
..Gatwick Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatwick_Airport)

clareview
27th Oct 2010, 16:34
Apparently a very short season using an Air Atlanta Icelandic B747. The Belfast potential is a new one on me

JonnyBfs
27th Oct 2010, 18:35
Yeah, there is a thread on Canada Extra here! It has all the details!!

BFS101
28th Oct 2010, 21:01
EI are starting Rome early, with flights commencing 1st February 11. This helps replace some of the BCN flights that have been pulled over the winter. Flights on-sale now!

tigger2k8
30th Oct 2010, 17:03
Suspicious vehicle up at BFS, not very many details on the news as they seem to mention the vehicle and the airport, then go straight to the Cargo story

UTV News - Suspicious vehicle sparks airport alert (http://www.u.tv/News/Suspicious-vehicle-sparks-airport-alert/190e04b4-23e0-4c5b-adad-35859d6dcf07)

flying officer kite
3rd Nov 2010, 14:46
A travel service 737 was in today, as far as i know it took Lady Gaga out to Zagreb

eastern wiseguy
3rd Nov 2010, 16:19
No I believe she was on the 328 (Tyrol jet) just about midnight last night.

tigger2k8
3rd Nov 2010, 18:11
Yes she was on the 328, parked on stand 9... As eastern said went out round midnight

flying officer kite
3rd Nov 2010, 19:43
thanks, perhaps the 737 was for the support crew/musicians/dancers etc. ? Someone from Servisair would probably know

Aaron9890
5th Nov 2010, 01:24
JP 3656 Cardiff 03:25 03:25
>>>?????

Arriving btw

flying officer kite
5th Nov 2010, 12:44
Sad news that BFS may lose another airline, Eurocypria seem to be going down the tube

victoria73
9th Nov 2010, 21:25
Another airline and the lose of some more flights turkey now Larnaca,paphos,heraklion.how on earth are they going to pull all this buisness back the low cost airlines dont seem to interested in expansion from BFS maybe a reduction in landing charges might be a good start but can,t see that happening guess thats more people on there way to Dublin.

Jamie2k9
9th Nov 2010, 23:01
DUB has also lost Eurocypria flights to LCA.

BFS101
10th Nov 2010, 11:47
The majority of the ECA flights into Belfast are charters on behalf of Olympic Holidays, HER, LCA and PFO.

If Olympic Holidays are selling well from BFS, which they appear to be, will Olympic not just try and source alternative capacity from another carrier. There may not be a loss, or substancial loss, in capacity overall, should this occur.

If they do not source an alternative carrier for Cyprus and Crete, they may as well pull their tour operator programme completely from Northern Ireland, as all that would be left is a small allocation on the TCX Heraklion. The Cyprus holidays from Belfast are still currently on sale.

david1994
10th Nov 2010, 15:56
Just got this email from Olympic Holidays which seems a bit odd when they say ''no they havent'' then mention Cyprus Airways :cool:.

Good afternoon Mr Thompson,
We know there have been rumors about the Euro Cypria Airlines had ceased operations and at present we have no confirmation from Eurocypria that they are going to stop trading.

As far as we can tell now, they will be operated by Eurocypria or a Cyprus Airways Airbus A330 aircraft.

Kind regards
Andrea

Jamie2k9
13th Nov 2010, 20:30
Have easyjet decided if they will use a A320 on the Malta route or will there be a cap on the number of passengers on the A319??

tigger2k8
13th Nov 2010, 23:12
Still no decision yet jamie, will probably hear dec/jan. With those travelling getting emails or phone calls if they cap the A319s

JonnyBfs
14th Nov 2010, 19:10
Thomas Cook have availability on flights to Sanford for June and July next Summer :ok: Last flight 31st July
2X week SAT and SUN

Now just Toronto still needed!:ok:

Great News!

BFS101
15th Nov 2010, 13:16
Thomas Cook have availability on flights to Sanford for June and July next Summer http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif Last flight 31st July 2X week SAT and SUN
Are these flights bookable at the minute? As yet not bookable through the TC group websites, although Belfast listed on the drop down menu option.

With these flights going on sale earlier in the year, then pulled, and now allegedly back on sale, Thomas Cook have really messed around or completely missed the early bookers from NI. Many may have wanted to fly direct from Belfast but now went ahead and already booked EI from DUB or via the mainland. Hopefully enough people will book between now and next summer to make these flights successfull.

JonnyBfs
15th Nov 2010, 18:19
Yes BFS available on the airline website,well they were last night anyway!

BFS101
15th Nov 2010, 18:41
Tried just now and can book flight only, but brings up that no flights are available if you try and book a package from either the homepages of thomascook.com or directholidays.co.uk

JonnyBfs
15th Nov 2010, 18:50
Oh right. Well they may still come, as these flights only came on very recently! At least we have something!!
The packages are available for early July, from Thomas Cook Homepage, choosing FLORIDA as the destination. Reasonable enough eg £700pp for 2 weeks flights and accomm!

Jamie2k9
15th Nov 2010, 19:49
4,054,662 passengers used BFS so far this year dow by 11.7%

BFS101
15th Nov 2010, 20:57
Doesn't make for good reading, especially on the routes that FR competed on. Guess though we may see this figures returning slightly now that FR have vacated BHD, tho I'm sure the recession has still taken its toll. Most UK airports seem to be reporting non-positive passenger growth of late. BHD was really bucking the trend there for a while.

eastern wiseguy
15th Nov 2010, 21:03
BHD was really bucking the trend there for a while.

I reckon that they will join the rest of the herd again. Even if there was very little yield there were a load of people flew simply because it was cheap/below cost (I know we did!)

cuthere
15th Nov 2010, 21:03
LDY increased by 21.6% (albeit from a much lower level).

I'm sure BFS will pick up a lot of the former RYR business, helping to bolster pax numbers there.

tigger2k8
16th Nov 2010, 10:01
BFS hasnt had much luck within the last few years with airlines and travel firms going bust, to name 3 that i can recall GSM, XL, Goldtrail .. with the going down of goldtrail wiping out most of the turkey flights halfway through the season, i think there was 4 flights on a monday night alone using turkuaz and onur air... hopefully 2011 will bring better luck

mysecretsmile
18th Nov 2010, 14:49
I heard a whisper at the start of the week that the forever talked about move of Bmi Baby from BFS to BHD is back on the table.

I can see the management of BHD keen to have another another operator fill the void left by RYR but surely BMI Baby would compete very heavily with Flybe on all routes their routes: Cardiff, Birmingham, East Midlands and Manchester.

Doesn't seem viable to me ?

tigger2k8
18th Nov 2010, 15:44
That rumor and the Jet2 rumor has been flying about for years, as has the rumor that EI will move and all of EZY flights and potentially CO :ugh:... as for bmibaby, i dont think its happening as they are in the process of awarding their ground handling contract to either Servisair (renewal) or switching to Menzies at BFS.. and contracts are generally 3-5 years long and i would put my money on the company beginning with M, due to servisairs recent performance (or lack of) and the recent contacts at LHR with BMI/Lufthansa

bmibaby has already added an extra flight to EMA from BFS due to FR's departure

Aaron9890
18th Nov 2010, 20:54
TOM796 Bridgetown 09:50

MontyP
18th Nov 2010, 21:39
Is this the same Menzies who had a go at demolishing the international pier recently? Should of made a better go at it the place could do with a new one ;)

tigger2k8
18th Nov 2010, 23:20
That would be the very one MontyP, between all the handling agents thats ever been in BFS, id say combined they have helped the airport re-wire most of the international side :} and helped remove a couple of windows in the older terminal config if you remember that one..

The only damage this time round is 1 cable for the fire alarms, which has to be replaced and the metal supports for the cables, as far as im aware none of the heavy duty cables need replaced, last years incident caused more disruption with the power being knocked out over that side

victoria73
19th Nov 2010, 01:17
Looking at the jet2 thread each base on the mainland getting more aircraft based and new routes no mention of Belfast getting anything seem to be just concentrating on there airports on the mainland think the business development department at BFS needs to get its finger out thats if they are interested.

gate 22
19th Nov 2010, 10:42
think the business development department at BFS needs to get its finger out thats if they are interested

I don't think anybody works there any more - was it not closed down in 2008?. The last time I was in that room there were no lights on, curtains pulled and cobwebs everywhere-just like the old 'carlsberg complaints department' advert.

tigger2k8
19th Nov 2010, 13:28
Looking at the jet2 thread each base on the mainland getting more aircraft based and new routes no mention of Belfast getting anything seem to be just concentrating on there airports on the mainland think the business development department at BFS needs to get its finger out thats if they are interested.

Just because they are not basing any additional aircraft at BFS does not mean Jet2 is taking its focus away from N.Ireland.. considering that all destinations available in Summer 2010 are available for 2011, except TFS...

The routes they had from BFS this year performed well, so they are probably sticking to them, as they know they work.. maybe EI stepped on their toes with the TFS flight, seems a strange one to not run

Aaron9890
19th Nov 2010, 17:23
Tenerife flights from Jet2 are ending on the 25th April i think... dont know the reason behind it... seems a bit stupid to me. And does anyone know why there was a Thomson flight going to bridgetown last night, they dont fly from BFS

eastern wiseguy
19th Nov 2010, 17:59
And does anyone know why there was a Thomson flight going to bridgetown last night, they dont fly from BFS

They do this every year .I believe it may be a Belfast Telegraph readers holiday offer.

BFS101
19th Nov 2010, 19:39
The flights to Barbados are for P&O Cruises. Every year P&O operate a few sporadic dates from more regional UK airports for customer convenience. Belfast will also have direct Bridgetown flights on 22nd Jan and 11th Feb 2011 for the same reason. These flights have been operating the past few years at least, and are generally if not always operated by TOM / BY (in the past).

NorthernCounties
19th Nov 2010, 20:51
Someone has just edited the Belfast Intl Wiki page and stated that Iceland Express are starting out of there from 14 June... is this true?

True Blue
19th Nov 2010, 20:59
Yes it is, twice a week via Edi out, direct in from Kef. Available on their site for booking.

True Blue

Aaron9890
19th Nov 2010, 21:02
Just saw that myself northerncountries hope its true. I'm sure it is. People on wikipedia usually are right. Would be great cant remember the last time Belfast had a route to Iceland. I would love to know where they get their information from

NorthernCounties
19th Nov 2010, 21:10
Hi both, thanks for the info... I think it's a great destination, and would be great to travel too, just hope the prices or any tourism stigma is overcome! I might see can I avail of the route at some point! It's good to see a route other than a sunshine route being announced at BFS!
I do like keeping a watch of all things NI transport on Wiki but it would be more CODA that I have a good knowledge of! Here's hoping for more "of the beaten track" routes!

BFS101
19th Nov 2010, 22:33
As True Blue stated, the flights are available for booking on the iceland express website.

--M---F BFS 11.20 - 14.50 KEF
--M---F KEF 07.00 - 10.20 BFS

Excellent news, but being realistic, once the Northern Irish who want to visit Iceland travel and vice versa, I really wonder is there lasting sustainability for this route. VFR? Business links? It's certainly a little obscure, and when Munich, Venice and Berlin can't last, wonder what makes Iceland Express believe this is substanable? Maybe via EDI will help. Well at least BFS are trying, and a new carrier to NI is willing to take a chance. Very much hoping I'm proved wrong!!

I wonder will they try and co-ordinate schedules to allow for a one-stop USA route in the future, the way they advertise London - New York??

Jamie2k9
19th Nov 2010, 22:35
They may be going vid EDI as DUB will have one direct flight a week as well.

Charlie Roy
20th Nov 2010, 14:57
--M---F BFS 11.20 - 14.50 KEF
--M---F KEF 07.00 - 10.20 BFS

They will also offer connecting flights via KEF to Boston and New York

victoria73
20th Nov 2010, 17:00
Munich Venice Berlin routes worked well for at least 9 months in the year just those few months around November and January loads were low but all routes suffer at that time of the year I think Easyjet should bring them back even just for the busier months least they would have them back.think this Iceland venture will last for short while the airport needs to concentrate on getting there flights to Toronto and Orlando back never mind high risk Iceland.

JonnyBfs
20th Nov 2010, 17:07
orlando is back, but yes YYZ would be great!

Hamrah
20th Nov 2010, 17:27
Just the inside track on the IEX flights. They are targetted at people taking holidays in Iceland during the summer months, but will connect with outbound flights to EWR, BOS and ORD. Experience the past summer showed that these were very popular with such european destinations as Warsaw, Gothenborg, Billund and even Gatwick.

On many of the EWR flights I operated, out of the total of 212 pax, we carried into KEF , no more than 60 were getting off there. The balance were all connecting to through on the network to Europe.

eastern wiseguy
20th Nov 2010, 17:52
Hamrah....thanks for that. Will it be a connecting flight and is there a possibility of booking eg BFS ORD BFS on the website?

Reykjavik if you haven't been up there is a great place to visit. Iceland used to be expensive...but that may have changed.

Hamrah
20th Nov 2010, 18:01
Not sure if the ORD flights will match the BFS flights, but the timing is set to connect to all the Atlantic flights.
Iceland is not expensive now...their economy collapsed last year, dropping exchange rates with the ££ considerably. And it has some of the most spectacular scenery in the world..with very few people about.

EI-BUD
21st Nov 2010, 09:20
I note that some flights go via Edinburgh so that means some passengers who want to travel to the US and connect in Iceland will be flying BFS EDI KEF BOS/NYC

so that 3 flights, not sure that will be an appeal. Furthermore, with only 2 flights per week how can they get their name out there, ie cost of marketing with what would seem like a small marketing budget, again if only 2 flights per week. I personally think this wont work.

Dublin on the other hand will have 1 weekly flight this might work but cant understand a greater frequency from BFS than DUB, with Dublin being a bigger city and a capital city for that matter.

However, if the BFS flight was designated BFS KEF YYZ/Toronto it could do ok, provided some of the travel agents got behind it.

EI-BUD
21st Nov 2010, 18:32
Anyone know what WOW9114 (ASW) is doing at Belfast later on from Cardiff, there doesnt seem to be a corresponding departure.

EI-BUD

johnref
21st Nov 2010, 18:40
Rugby charter for the WOW flight as Ulster played in Cardiff today

david1994
22nd Nov 2010, 15:28
Seems to be BFS-KEF is vis Edinburgh but KEF-BFS is not :ok: It seems to be a B737-700 both ways as when I reserved my seats there was only 26 rows.

Your booking https://booking.icelandexpress.com/%28S%28lyftoaamdbzi1crpzae4rt3e%29%29/images/bit.gif Date Day Flight No. From - To Depart Arrival
01/07/2011 Friday 5W532 Belfast BFS - Reykjavik KEF via Edinburgh 11:20 14:50
08/07/2011 Friday 5W531 Reykjavik KEF - Belfast BFS 07:00 10:20
https://booking.icelandexpress.com/%28S%28lyftoaamdbzi1crpzae4rt3e%29%29/images/bit.gif

Kavs8
23rd Nov 2010, 14:34
new Aer Lingus to route to Gran Canaria announced twice weekly on Mondays & Fridays from March 28th 2011.

BFS101
23rd Nov 2010, 15:26
Good news!! The Canaries seem to be a real success story for EI at Belfast. Flights to the Canaries with EI now ACE X3, TFS X2 and LPA X2.

Also to note, after the sad demise of Eurocypria, Olympic Holidays have cut capacity at BFS, possibly due to sourcing available capacity. Paphos has been pulled completely (from a peak only Wednesday service), and Larnaca down to once a week, on a Friday with Cyprus Airways, dropping a Saturday flight. Extra capacity previously on sale to Crete with Eurocypria has also been pulled, just leaving the TCX allocation.

Newmarket holidays offering one-off flights to Verona, Naples and Catania over the course of summer 2011 have changed carrier from Viking to Small Planet Airlines, whoever they are???

Kavs8
23rd Nov 2010, 16:02
There was already spare capacity.

eastern wiseguy
23rd Nov 2010, 16:31
Small planet airlines (http://www.smallplanet.aero/en/home/charter/about-us/our-operations/)

Look here.........

BFS101
23rd Nov 2010, 16:54
Look here.........
Cheers eastern, will certainly add a bit of colour with that livery!!!

gate 22
23rd Nov 2010, 19:29
So EZY have put on an extra return for Fridays from JAN-MAR 2011 BFS/STN, then it's back to four for the summer.

tigger2k8
24th Nov 2010, 10:54
Told you's EI had something up their sleeves :E

gate 22, nothing more is been done about STN until they make a decision on whats happening with LTN, if LTN returns then STN will stay at its current frequency, if LTN stays at BHD they are supposed to increase it

gate 22
24th Nov 2010, 12:20
if LTN stays at BHD they are supposed to increase it

Then surely that would mean basing an aircraft there to take full advantage of the market. (early morning out and all that). Would it not be a more cost effective measure to base an aircraft up the road which could cover Luton and possible another leg somewhere else. Unless EZY have signed a deal with BHD along the lines that they can only operate Luton from belfast from BHD for the next 10 years!

tigger2k8
24th Nov 2010, 13:18
sorry gate 22, i didn't word that the best, what i meant was if LTN stays at BHD then STN at BFS is supposed to get increased frequency, that was the plan about a month ago anyway, but it all depends on how long it takes EZY to decide on what to do

True Blue
24th Nov 2010, 22:44
So if the rumours on the BHD thread are true, that WW are off to Bhd, who, if any, will take up the routes from Bfs? Will Jet2 or Easy have the courage to do it? Would Jet2 have the courage to take these routes plus Ltn and suddenly have some critical mass at Bfs? In the end, WW could be squeezed completely out with this move.

aidoair
24th Nov 2010, 22:53
Depending on the routes baby will/may offer from BHD, this could be a bad move. Like you say it brings LS and EZY in to takeover the routes. The most prominent one being MAN.

tigger2k8
24th Nov 2010, 23:01
While it appears it could be true about WW, I want to send my wishes to those who work for servisair, that's 9 flights a day lost mon-fri, and the couple over the weekend, no doubt there will be job losses..as they already had a couple planned after new year

As for who will pick up the demand, it would be a perfect opportunity for EZY to jump in there, if the demand is there EZY will hopefully make a move on it, after all there's a reason most picked bmibaby from BFS than BE at BHD, LS seems more focused on mainland operations than expanding at BFS, although this annoucement could make them change their mind.

BELHold
25th Nov 2010, 05:22
"Like you say it brings LS and EZY in to takeover the routes."

Don't forget EI, they already operate into BHX and Man.

Can't see BEE just lying down on this one though, direct competition, I would think they will seek an urgent meeting with BA :=.

mysecretsmile
25th Nov 2010, 10:14
Confirmed news on BMI Baby

bmibaby launch new services from Belfast City Airport
Services commence on 10 January 2011

bmibaby will commence flying from George Best Belfast City Airport to Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff and East Midlands Airport from 10 January 2011.

bmibaby will move its operation from Belfast International Airport to Belfast City Airport, in a move to offer more convenient services to passengers wishing to travel into Belfast.

The new bmibaby services will add to the bmi Groups current flights between Belfast City Airport and London Heathrow, meaning the bmi Group will become one of the largest operators from Belfast City Airport.

The low cost airline will operate up to 48 flights a week from Belfast to its regional airports, with fares starting from just £9.99 one way including taxes.

gate 22
25th Nov 2010, 10:36
I can see no advantage to BHD or WW in this move. All routes are already operated out of BHD. Maybe they will start other services. The loss to BFS is quite large, however a carrot is there and EZY should look at it with relation to MAN & BHX. LS should also look at MAN & EMA. Judging by past experiences at BFS I wouldn't be confident of these routes being covered any time soon. However if they do particularly MAN & BHX with EZY, then WW will not push out BEE and EZY will grow what has become a low earning set of routes for BFS in past years. There is a large market for MAN and BHX out of BFS (WW did not take full advantage of it).
Time will tell, maybe EZY will put everything back at BFS and add BHX and MAN.
I wonder how BEE feel about adding EMA to their network late last month to then have the BHD management throw this at them.

INKJET
25th Nov 2010, 11:13
Its a dog eat dog world out there, for a long time now bmi & especially baby have been far to cautious about taking on the competition, this lack of balls no doubt led to Flybe thinking there would be no reaction to moving in on EMA, i would guess that BHD would not have given the OK if it was just a EMA-BHD spat between Flybe & baby, but when offered all four bases, plus what is to come next year or risk the loss of LHR? what would you do?

Baby have shown that they can live with Ryanair on most routes, BFS was always an odd ball, in a clean sheet approach baby would have been at BHD & Ryanair at BFS where a longer runway means they can use their aircraft's range unrestricted.

I predict that BFS will have to talk to Ryanair now, in the past it was said that EZY,LS,WW had told BFS that if Ryanair came to BFS they would clear off, well the dynamic of that has now changed! would/could LS & EZY go anywhere? i doubt it? i see only two winners here BHD & WW

MontyP
25th Nov 2010, 13:38
I see in the press release announcing the Iceland Express route that BFS has a "Business Development Director" This would indicate that there is also a business development department. Who would have known! :rolleyes:

gate 22
25th Nov 2010, 15:15
So total WW traffic in 2009 approx 395,000 pax quite alot lost. However I suppose some will transfer across to LPL, but from Liverpool to London (middle England) with no flights from BFS is bad.
I suppose if EZY brought back Ltn at 246,000 in 2009, it would go some way to balance it all out. I wonder what the real chances of EZY introducing MAN and BHX. Do you think if BFS hinted at FR entering the market they might be persuaded?

tigger2k8
25th Nov 2010, 15:33
As far as im aware BFS is still not wanting FR in.. nor is EZY and EI, who are the main airlines, why risk losing/upsetting them by inviting FR in, who will land you further away from your destination :E... FR also stated they would only operate from BFS if there was a subsidy, and well, we all know BFS doesnt like handing money out

gate 22
25th Nov 2010, 15:41
As far as im aware BFS is still not wanting FR in.. nor is EZY and EI,

So to take this forward, why don't BFS suggest ''listen guy's we want MAN, BHX and LTN, if you can't deliver then we will be seeking any airline that would take them up"", I mean they are viable routes and BFS just can't sit around and keep on losing routes and thus passengers who park cars and buy from shops.

BFS101
25th Nov 2010, 16:35
why risk losing/upsetting them by inviting FR in, who will land you further away from your destination http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif...
Totally agree!!!

With LS bases at both MAN and EMA, and having experience on the domestic market with BFS - LBA flights for years I wonder would they consider this.

Read somewhere recently (possibly about WW at Cardiff) that a domestic route is very efficient in terms of crewing, as the cabin crew could do a European return and a domestic return per shift, but 4 European sectors is pushing the limits, so resulting in cabin crew only doing 2 sectors per shift. Don't know the detail obviously, but if true, crew costs for MAN or EMA based frames to operate BFS could be an achievable business decision.

BHX does not seem to immediately lend itself to any replacement carrier, but then again who'd have thought BE would launch BHD - EMA post FR.

tigger2k8
25th Nov 2010, 16:35
So to take this forward, why don't BFS suggest ''listen guy's we want MAN, BHX and LTN, if you can't deliver then we will be seeking any airline that would take them up"", I mean they are viable routes and BFS just can't sit around and keep on losing routes and thus passengers who park cars and buy from shops.

to be completely honest i think even the management at BFS know that they need to do something, after all thats 2 airlines (while 1 was manx2, basically peanuts, but it still counts) in the last 6 months that have moved... all we can do is sit and wait, i for one am booked on a flight to MAN in Feb 2011, this will probably change to LPL now unless a replacement is brought in

Aaron9890
25th Nov 2010, 16:43
Too be honest i see what Bmibaby are doing here, when you look at the statistics there are more people that travel to and from BHX,MAN,EMA and CDF from BHD than BFS. You never know flybe could move to BFS? Suppose they wouldnt becasue EZY are there

clareview
25th Nov 2010, 17:17
EI Regional pick up the slack? After all if ww numbers were low then 78 seater might just be the job

Centre cities
25th Nov 2010, 20:25
2 a day Baby from BHX or 6 or so a day BE on the same route, lets think about that for a minute.

The presidence is BHX to EDI and GLA which had similar frequencies and pax throughput, who operate it now and where are Baby.

Centre cities

True Blue
25th Nov 2010, 22:33
Considering the useless times that Baby has offered for a long time now, especially to Man and Bhx, is it any wonder they could not compete with Flybe? They seem to be offering the same to Bhd, indeed some days seem to be 1 daily. Lots of times I had to use Bhd to Bhx as the WW times were a waste of time. I saw the German boss of the airline saying on the BBC news that they were going after the business traveller, with 2 flights a day? So can another come in and offer decent times and make a success of this, Bfs to man/Bhx?

True Blue

Facelookbovvered
25th Nov 2010, 23:18
True Blue

If my memory is correct i think you said you were ex of baby? The problem here is that most people are judging what baby does or doesn't do based on history with SMB and the like of NT& CR at the helm with no money to extend leases or re lease or even re paint the main line fleet!!

From what i have read and seen about bmi it ain't like that any more, i think they have the wrong aircraft mix for domestics in the midlands, you cant fill a jet on 6 rotations a day or a dash for that matter, but you can get the early and late bulk traffic volume, i doubt for one minute that baby/bmi group have given up on BHX- GLA/EDI but they clearly have limited airframes to play with at the minute and are still restructuring the business to cut group losses.

I would remind you that two years ago many said baby would be no more, the same was said last year!! the German owners have made it clear in every press release and LH presentation that they will keep bmi/baby/regional together and grow the business, BHD is no knee jerk reaction IMO it was made possible by Ryanair's exit at BHD and they moved to take it.

BFS to EMA/BHX/MAN is a market, but probably for an ATR/DASH, this will save both bmi & baby on handling and support costs and close the door at BHD to anyone else, i just hope they have plenty of de icing fluid left!!

I think it probably cements the likely hood that bmibaby will get bmi airbus 319 cast off's in 2012/3 rather than NG's

mutleyshriek
26th Nov 2010, 16:07
Just heard this morning that EZY Luton to return to BFS late June:ok:

david1994
26th Nov 2010, 16:49
Are they still keeping Belfast City - Luton or moving it to BFS?

tigger2k8
26th Nov 2010, 17:06
David, i would say its relocating back to BFS and leaving BHD behind... maybe this is EZY making a move to expand since WW has moved to BHD leaving a market at BFS to be snapped up... if this is true, its great news, it should never have went down the road.. the down side to this is EI could notice a difference as their BFS-LHR saw growth (as far as i can recall?) after LTN moved to BHD..

True Blue
26th Nov 2010, 22:28
Facelookbovvered

I have no link to WW nor have I ever worked for them. I do not/never have, worked for any airline.

My thoughts on the WW move. Shortly after Fr arrived at Bhd, I made a post that the deal between Bhd/fr had been done for all the wrong reasons, bad reaction to Ei arriving at Bfs plus a possibility that Fr were made to believe that the extension would happen without too many problems. Then fr decide to leave, causing a large drop in passenger volume. This would not play well with the owners who paid dear to buy Bhd and how would that affect the other businesses who pay rent to be at Bhd with pax numbers falling sharply.

Another poster has posted on here that until recently, WW were looking for new contracts for pax handling at Bfs. Then all of a sudden they announce they are going. So what happened so quickly?

In my opinion, Bhd were under severe pressure to plug the gap left by the withdrawal of Fr and quickly. The best option for them was WW and I believe that they made WW an offer they could not refuse. Tie in with your stable mate, BD. Remember, many decisions made in business are not well thought out, otherwise all businesses would be successful. So I believe that little thought was given to some questions, how would Flybe react, would WW make any better a go at it than they have at Bfs and could another enter at Bfs and leave reduced pax number for two to fight over at Bhd?

Now we hear that Ezy may be returning the Ltn service to Bfs, one step forward and two back for Bhd if that is true. Especially if Ezy decide to go after Man/Bhx.

The future, a very unhappy Flybe with Bhd and WW gone. I would loved to have been able to fly from Bfs when going to Bhx/Man, but the times were so poor I never could. I see they are keeping the same times at Bhd. Cwl is not returning again next summer, what sort of decision thinks that the route will be a success flying winter only. I know what WW are doing, use the plane in the summer to go to the med, make more money than flying to Bfs. Look at Prague, how long did it last, 2-3 months.

Remember after 9/11, Bfs was deserted for a while, it will come back.

Just my thoughts

True Blue

Aaron9890
27th Nov 2010, 12:40
London Luton is back on the menu for BFS tried to book something put it keeps coming up with the mesage, " The route you have selected is on sale until june 2010, check the timtables for further information"

Aaron9890
27th Nov 2010, 13:04
These could be the flights they are doing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Belfast (http://www.bmibaby.com/bmibaby/where_we_fly/destinations/belfast.aspx)

Includes Glasgow, Edinburgh, London (:s) Hanoverand Brussels though they will be likley connections form LHR
looks like bmibaby will be taking over london route

EI-BUD
27th Nov 2010, 13:34
With bmi group under Lufthansa on a strong drive to turn the company around and improve financial performance around it would be only to be expected that they would flex their muscle especially with airport authorities, especially again in cities where they have competing airports and in Belfast where they have the trump card the LHR route.

I would imagine that the deal to keep bmi mainline at BHD is so attractive that it came with the 'condition' you get X deal if WW business is included, however, the airport will never admit to that for fear of the back lash from BE and whats more BE is not going to have too much muscle as would they really ever consider moving to BFS no definately not, when has BFS lured airlines over? I cant remember when it went that way.

As for LHR, I would be absolutely amazed if WW went in, for 1 they wont have interlining facility and this would be a key weakness for them given that BE & EI offering interlining at London airports.
Furthermore, such a move would indicate to me that bmi cannot compete profitably with EI owing to cost base etc, though I do look forward with some anticipation to the next CAA Stats for November and we will get a good sense of what the effect of Ryanair's exit meant for the other airlines. I think we will see EI and EZY getting nice boosts at BFS.

The head of Bmibaby has said that he sees development for the airline coming from Belfast market and this would follow in the 'near future' would this include some euro routes and a base? Is there an elusive prize by offering Euro routes ex BHD as for the ones tried to date BE to CDG for eg have not been the runaway success that was anticipated? (I do note that EI was also daily on BFS CDG in the same season so probably not the best example). Q is will WW go BHD to Europe?

The other side of the argument is that we can see elsewhere ie on som CWL routes that ww backed away and BE reign supreme, why would it be any different at Belfast city with economical aircraft, possible lower costs, higher frequency with early morning departures from both ends of BHX, MAN & BHD. The offer of Full Jet service by WW may not be just enough to woo the BE Passengers and if EZY or Jet2 enter the fray well then there will be casualties and I would suggest the strongest will survive in what is a limited scale market.

EI-BUD

ara01jbb
27th Nov 2010, 13:36
^^^ Aaron; for some time now flybmi.com and bmibaby.com have both listed both airlines' routes; they simply redirect you to the right one when you click search.

One aspect of BMI's "strategy" (ha!) has always been clear: Baby goes nowhere near LHR. Just because WW and BD are now at the same airport in Belfast, it doesn't mean that one of BD's most comfortable domestic routes is switching to the baby. Too many *A connections, business passengers etc. WW & BD can happily coexist at BHD, just like GLA and EDI.

Aaron9890
27th Nov 2010, 13:40
yes ara01jbb i just noticed it redirects you. but i still think that Edinburgh and Glasgow look possible.

tigger2k8
27th Nov 2010, 14:20
Aaron, LTN has been in the drop down menu since the very day it moved to BHD, and has displayed that booking message through 3 or 4 updates with new flights since then. I am convinced we will see it back, along with EZY jumping on either MAN or BHX... If they don't jump on the routes left behind by WW it will have been a great opportunity wasted

victoria73
27th Nov 2010, 19:05
rumours of ezy bringing there Ltn back to Bfs is true thats good news if true wonder if Ezy will announce the move through the media wipe the smirk off the management at Bhd faces.pluss make a move on Man and Bhx make WW wish they never moved down the road.

Aaron9890
28th Nov 2010, 20:03
bad news.. orlando seems to be taken off from belfast again.. no holidays are being found when i search for it, what the heck are thomas cook playing at!

Certa Cito
28th Nov 2010, 20:17
I have heard rumour that BE may well announce BFS to MAN & BHX soon.
Now that would be interesting

JonnyBfs
28th Nov 2010, 21:36
Where does the fuel for that rumour come from??
Strange move, I'd have thought:confused:

Centre cities
28th Nov 2010, 21:48
There are several thousand pax per month from BFS to BHX/MAN. I imagine they go from BFS because they want to as they already have an alternative at BHD.

Baby at BHD will dillute the market why not take the available pax from BFS. Seems to make sense to me.

BE now run BHD/to BHX and EMA only 35/40 minutes away from each other.

Centre cities

gate 22
28th Nov 2010, 22:26
Flybe, which flies from Belfast City to 17 UK routes including East Midlands, Birmingham, Cardiff and Manchester, said it would |make a “calculated and robust” response to bmi baby’s relocation.

This to me sounds like something will happen at BFS with BE, its the only way that they can get back at BHD.

There are several thousand pax per month from BFS to BHX/MAN. I imagine they go from BFS because they want to as they already have an alternative at BHD.

Baby at BHD will dillute the market why not take the available pax from BFS. Seems to make sense to me.

Actually makes alot of sense when you put it like that. Personally I would rather see EZY do MAN/BHX etc

victoria73
29th Nov 2010, 09:52
when the rumours a while back were out about baby going to the wall if my memory serves me right 2 carriers did say say they would be interested in taking over the Man&Bhx routes from Bfs i wonder will these 2 companies make any decision now on opperating these routes it would be interesting to see what would happen if they did.

gate 22
29th Nov 2010, 10:10
when the rumours a while back were out about baby going to the wall if my memory serves me right 2 carriers did say say they would be interested in taking over the Man&Bhx routes from Bfs i wonder will these 2 companies make any decision now on opperating these routes it would be interesting to see what would happen if they did.

I am pretty sure that BFS have meetings lined up in the near future with several carriers. MAN/BHX have always been popular from BFS. Who do you reckon EZY, LS, BE, FR ????
This will be interesting as it took 6 years for an LHR service, LTN still is not available after one year, Toronto, Sanford........ If there is not an announcement this side of Christmas then I would have severe doubts about the ambitions of BFS.
If EZY had to choose one route, would BHX not be a better option than MAN. The midlands is a vast densily populated area not served from Belfast with EZY, whereas MAN can be served by LPL. However it would be good to see both served.

dublindispatch
29th Nov 2010, 11:45
It must be very hard for the BFS sales and marketing team to compete with the mite of the DAA v.v. DUB what they offer BUT not with saying that is the RWY length at BFS not something that they have over DUB and should be using to get some operators?

tigger2k8
29th Nov 2010, 13:24
gate 22 is correct, BFS will be in talks with airlines, as to how many and who they are, i dont know.. but i would put my money on EZY and LS being included in the line up, as far as i have been told replacing MAN/BHX is on the cards but its up to an airline to jump on the route at the end of the day, as for CWL and EMA i cant say..

BFS has been keen to get transatlantic flights into the airport (more than CO), so it wouldn't surprise me if they try and do something about that... the main problem with BFS isn't the local management, its the Spanish who have to approve everything, the local management has hardly any power... the amount of times local management has routes lined up and agreed on, then when it comes to a final approval the Spanish mess it up.

theres been enough FR's in BFS over the last few days they may as well start a service :E, was surprised to see that FR bussed passengers from BFS-LDY and then from LDY-BFS for some of the flights anyway

cuthere
29th Nov 2010, 16:00
Tigger, four inches of powder snow, which when cleared, blows back onto the runway, caused the diversions. Why does it surprise you that RYR bussed pax to/from Derry? That's where the said pax had chosen to fly from, however the elements prevented this from happening. A non-event that has been happening all over these Islands in the last few days.

Good to see BFS didn't suffer any cancellations or delays yesterday......oh, hang on.

tigger2k8
29th Nov 2010, 17:01
Oh I knew someone would bite at that, and there's nothing to bite at... But to clear things up ill explain my post more shall I? And just to state my post was in no way to be taken as a dig at LDY, which I think is a missed opportunity for a lot of routes or FR

I've seen flights that are diverted land in BFS before from both BHD and LDY and had the outbounds cancelled, I'm not surprised at the transport from BFS to LDY, but more so at the LDY to BFS, considering last year a lot of outbounds were cancelled even though the passengers where located 20 miles down the road in BHD

And yes I know all about snow, I've spent many winters working in it at various airports

cuthere
29th Nov 2010, 17:52
Well, thank God someone "bit" then eh? I'm glad you've had the opportunity to work at many airports in the snow. It can be very interesting, can't it?

I also knew you'd bite. How predictable we both are eh? Perhaps laying off the little smiley faces would give more credibility to your posts? Just an idea.

On a serious note. As for FR, one wonders what BFS management are or are not doing, that means Europe's largest LCC is apparently totally uninterested in operating from there. I mean, with all the chopped routes, and with Bmibaby going, there's plenty of room for a big carrier to come in and arrest the continuing plummet in pax numbers.

tigger2k8
29th Nov 2010, 19:55
Interesting? Depends on your definition of interesting, I would be more inclined to say nightmare.

The smiley faces are there to be used or not used, its up to the poster isn't it.

FR was in talks with BFS last year but wanted a subsidy for each aircraft that landed, so they were interested, it was just the spanish not wanting to cough up the money

BFS101
29th Nov 2010, 20:32
As for FR, one wonders what BFS management are or are not doing, that means Europe's largest LCC is apparently totally uninterested in operating from there.
Maybe BFS have made themselves unattractive for FR. Northern Ireland is a relatively small market. Easyjet have most domestic routes covered, without using regional sized aircraft. Between EZY, LS and EI most viable European routes, in my opinion, are also covered. Many other have been tried, and failed to give those airlines their dues.

BFS stated that they wanted to generate new business, from new markets, like the Iceland route, rather than replicate or fight-out on already served markets. Destinations and available routes may help generate some new business and look good on paper, but many may be canabalistic (lets not fly to TFS, we'll go to LPA; or restart NAP, but to the detriment of NCE). At the end of the day its passenger numbers through the doors, and if BFS feel that a stable future lies with EI / LS / EZY then maybe they have made a concious decision to be unattractive to FR, aka pay FR to fly from the airport.

Sure, if FR set up tomorrow passenger numbers would soar... in the short term. Price war would commence, everyone would take twice as many breaks, Aldergrove would reap it in, but as equilibrium restores, and prices once again become sustainable, what benefits would we be left with. Maybe an extra based unit, a few new routes, if that!!

Is BFS prepared to take that chance?? Prepared to possibly upset LS / EI / EZY?? Would I probably do the same and be wary of FR?? Hell yeah!!

ILS25
30th Nov 2010, 19:01
Easy reps were in BFS today with BFS management. Saw them myself in the check in area. I also heard today that Easy are going to make a big announcement re BFS. Anyone heard anything ?

david1994
30th Nov 2010, 19:04
Easy reps were in BFS today with BFS management. Saw them myself in the check in area. I also heard today that Easy are going to make a big announcement re BFS. Anyone heard anything ?

They where also in BHD as well talking about Stansted. A member I know that works for EZY as cabin crew says MAN is on the cards from BFS.