PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - BFS (Aldergrove)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

tigger2k8
4th Jul 2010, 06:19
Runway 25/07 closed between 0830-1630 on the 05.07.10 to 09.07.10. What limits are there for aircraft on 35/17? 757 and 330 ok to take off, more than likely a stupid question as the airport wouldn't close the runway if flights couldn't operate...

Torque2
4th Jul 2010, 09:37
Actually quite major performance differences due to being a lot shorter and obstacles. Charter 320/1 wont get to turkey off 17 and probably not the canaries either. I'm sure 07/25 will be available given sufficient notice.

Danmadole
4th Jul 2010, 12:17
QS is Travel Service B737-800

eastconsbrook
4th Jul 2010, 14:38
Here do you remember Carry on camping and the farmer " That will be a pound please !"
Its getting like that more and more
Expecting to see Jack Douglas and Windsor Davis every time I visit

Anyway been away for a bit so not on the e mails and things

Just wondering about the late night arrivals over the city going to BFS
Are thet routed in that way just for badness or is it procedure
I know the plates show the DME arc out over Holywood but they are coming in right over the East of the city

Tower Ranger
4th Jul 2010, 15:30
You always try to vector them the shortest route and when the City closes in the evening Aldergrove can give better routings and earlier descents. You would only use a DME Arc procedure if the radar was off or a pilot requested it for training.

eastconsbrook
4th Jul 2010, 15:46
Ah thanks for that!

We get them over the house at 3 am waking us up! and they put in the local papers that all Aldergrove flights are routed away from populated areas!!

Bet its nice and sunny out there

We have trees bent in half with the wind down here!!

Torque2
4th Jul 2010, 16:28
Don't know how they get over east Belfast at that time of the morning, there is a noise abatement procedure in place from 2200 local until 0700 local that keeps well clear of that area. May be radar vectored onto 07 but not below 6000 ft.

Tower Ranger
4th Jul 2010, 21:32
Torque, if you believe that then thats fine but you may find the reality is somewhat different and unless its changed in the past 3 years 3000ft over East Belfast is a daily and nightly event.

Hi EastCon, yes 42 degrees and hot as hell on the golf course but somebody has to do it!

vectors
4th Jul 2010, 21:52
I live in conlig and its a nightly event around this time of the year for inbound traffic for bfs to be about 1000ft lower when passing overhead my district, it seems to be the norm when bhd is closed, Torque2 , surely youd be operating some of these aircraft on occasion in the early hours returning from bucket & spade sorties:cool:

Torque2
5th Jul 2010, 07:58
Hi Tower, I dont believe it, I know it. Its published as the procedure and I use it every departure and arrival between the published times. It was on trial for the last 12 months and has been included as standard, CDA from 20nm BEL with given start altitude and radar vectors.

A Continuous Descent approach for those unaware requires a rate of descent equating to around 300 feet per nautical mile thus when added to the final approach fix altitude would give 6000 ft at Bangor to start the descent. If you are still unbelieving try reading the AIP (freely available but extracted here for you):

UK AIP
BELFAST ALDERGROVE AD 2-EGAA-1 - 9

EGAA AD 2.21 — NOISE ABATEMENT PROCEDURES
1. General a. Pilots must comply with the procedure detailed below and in particular with reference to speed control. b. The Continuous Descent Arrival procedure provides pilots with the ATC assistance necessary for them to achieve a continuous descent during
intermediate and final approach, at speeds which require minimum use of flap. The procedure is designed to minimise noise disturbance and fuel consumption during the approach phase.
2. Arrivals a. Unless there are valid reasons, the Continuous Descent Arrival procedure is to be employed for all approaches by IFR aircraft to all runways
between 2200-0700 (local). b. Headings and Flight Levels/Altitudes to leave the holding facility will be passed by ATC. When holding is not necessary, radar vectors may be given prior to the aircraft reaching the holding pattern and descent clearance will include an estimate of track distance to touchdown. c. Further distance information will be given between initial descent clearance and intercept headings to the ILS. On reciept of descent clearance the pilot will descend at the rate he judges will be best suited to the achievement of continuous descent, the object being to join the glidepath at the appropriate height for the distance without recourse to level flight.
d. Pilots should typically expect the following speed restrictions to be enforced: i. 220 kt from the holding facility (or if holding is not required, 220 kt by 20 nm from touchdown) during intermediate approach phase; ii. 180 kt on base leg/closing heading to the ILS; iii. Between 180 kt and 160 kt when first established on the ILS, and thereafter 160 kt to 4 DME.
e. These speeds are applied for ATC separation purposes and are mandatory. In the event of a new (non-speed related) ATC clearance being issued (eg: an instruction to descend on ILS), pilots are not absolved from a requirement to maintain a previously allocated speed. All speed restrictions are to be flown as accurately as possible. Aircraft unable to conform to these speeds should inform ATC and state what speeds will be used. In the interests of accurate spacing, pilots are requested to comply with speed adjustments as promptly as feasable within their own operational constraints, advising ATC if circumstances necessitate a change of speed for aircraft performance reasons.
f. The term ‘No ATC Speed Restriction’ does not absolve a pilot from flying in accordance with the speeds stated in paragraph d.
3. Departures a. During the hours of 2200-0700 (local), all departures with a MTOW greater than 5700 kg, will climb on the runway track to 2000 ft ALT before
commencing any turn, thereafter as per ATC clearance..
11 Mar 10

And for the sake of completeness, for the uninitiated wishing to know more see here
(http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/68/Basic_Principles_CDA.pdf)

:ok:

eastern wiseguy
5th Jul 2010, 11:50
Thanks Torque that saved me doing it.

EASTCON...still awaiting dates and times.

Thad Jarvis
5th Jul 2010, 12:20
'These speeds are applied for ATC separation purposes and are mandatory.'
220kts at 20nm? Perhaps a new version should be penned by somebody who either knows something about jets , has ever seen a big airport or maybe just delegate it to a nursery school as a project. FMC's do CDA's just fine by themselves until you start entering this crap into it.

Tower Ranger
5th Jul 2010, 12:36
Thanks Torque, I did say "unless its changed in the past 3 years" as I`ve been working somewhere a little sunnier since then although I did nine years at City. I`d still be surprised if visual approaches comply with the levels though. As Thad said 220 @ 20 seems a little over the top.

eastern wiseguy
5th Jul 2010, 12:49
Thad and TR I was told that the speed was for the prevention of airframe noise!. We used to lift it until we got told no.

Don't shoot the service provider......:)

gate 22
7th Jul 2010, 08:27
New Route BFS/Malta with EZY

easyJet is to introduce flights from Belfast International Airport to Malta – increasing its routes from Northern Ireland to 20.
Flights are expected to go on sale on 8 July, with fares from 25.99 one-way, including taxes.
The new service will start on 11 February next year. There will be a Tuesday flight leaving Belfast at 0800, and one on Saturday at 1335.
The flight times are 4h 05m outbound and 3h 50m inbound.
Ali Gayward, easyJet's UK commercial manager, said: "We are delighted to be able to add this exciting new destination to the already attractive range of flights we offer.
"Malta is often described as an 'open-air museum' and has a rich history that is evident in its stunning architecture.
"The island is famous for it clear blue waters and, for today's visitors, there is the obvious appeal of dry, warm summers.
"Malta is a very welcome addition to easyJet's existing hotspot destinations like Alicante, Faro, Ibiza, Malaga and Palma."
Uel Hoey, business development director at Belfast International Airport, said: "It's great to see flights to Malta direct from Belfast International Airport as Malta has always been a popular destination with local travellers. We are delighted that easyJet has decided to introduce this new service, making the island easily accessible and a good-value option for holidaymakers."w < /p>
Ali Gayward added: "easyJet was the first airline to bring low-cost travel to Northern Ireland and our aim has always been to bring significant choice, flexibility and affordable travel to people across the region.
"We have undoubtedly been successful in achieving this and I would like to say a big thank-you to the travelling public who have made us Northern Ireland's favourite airline.
Our commitment will continue to Northern Ireland people, from business travellers to people going on short city breaks or longer holidays."

gate 22
7th Jul 2010, 08:38
The pound charge can be avoided, this was kept quiet!!!

The Consumer Council said it can be avoided by using a free 10-minute period in the long-stay car park.
Aodhan O'Donnell from the Consumer Council said it was good that customers still had a choice.
"They can pay the £1 to drop off at the front of the car park, or they can have the choice not to pay the charge and still park relatively nearby."

tigger2k8
7th Jul 2010, 10:13
*cough* :} theres that new route :}

you can also avoid the drop off fee by heading down the road beside park plaza, drop your passengers off at the entrance to the park plaza car park, then do a u-turn and head back out, or follow the road round... as far as i know this part of the road system wont change... ofcourse, if your picking someone up you will have to time it well, as you can't hang around that area... but if £1 breaks the bank for some, could be worth the planning

BFS101
7th Jul 2010, 13:52
If you're excited about the prospect of having to pay £1 for drop off at the airport, you'll love this!!

Airport may soon charge you £1 to use their trolleys.

Airport may soon charge you £1 to use their trolleys - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/airport-may-soon-charge-you-pound1-to-use-their-trolleys-14867349.html)

Trolley charging is an area that we have looked into, however no decision has been made regarding this,” she said.
Belfast International's Spanish owners, Abertis, introduced a £1 trolley charge at another of its airports, London Luton, in 2008. Just last week the company operating trolley concessions at Luton increased its fees to £2, as did Bristol Airport, which is owned by three shareholders.
Simon Calder, senior travel editor at the Independent newspaper, said: “If the system works at other Abertis-owned airports, why wouldn’t they consider operating it in Belfast?

tigger2k8
7th Jul 2010, 14:25
Well, just get a suitcase with wheels or pay the £1, can't see it coming in for a while yet. If you can pay for a flight, then £1 is nothing, that's how abertis is seeing it

The charter ezy was going to perform to innsbruk (spelling?) Is scrubbed due to slots, bfs-vbs will be back and a different destination will be selected instead of innsbruk. Possibility of an A320 coming along

br8fmr
7th Jul 2010, 15:17
on the directski website it has alwys been Zuric as a replacement for VBS but this may be out of date
Livigno, Italy
Easyjet TBA
Depart Belfast (BFS), Sun 09th Jan 2011, 14:00
Arrive Zürich (ZRH), Sun 09th Jan 2011, 17:45
Uncatered

Easyjet TBA
Depart Zürich (ZRH), Sat 15th Jan 2011, 18:20
Arrive Belfast (BFS), Sat 15th Jan 2011, 20:05

tigger2k8
7th Jul 2010, 19:09
My info could also be out of date, but its the latest I have heard, will try and get it confirmed, I honestly I don't think they know what's happening yet, but the above info I posted is the latest I have

victoria73
10th Jul 2010, 16:36
good news about the new ezy route what ezy need to sort out is the length of time menzies have people standing in one queue to check in its absolutly ridiculous the amount of time people are standing in one queue waiting to check in does anyone know whats going on here does ezy know this is going on

Punctuation and Capitalization are on special this year. They are free. Please take advantage of them in your next post. ;)

tigger2k8
10th Jul 2010, 17:14
good news about the new ezy route what ezy need to sort out is the length of time menzies have people standing in one queue to check in its absolutly ridiculous the amount of time people are standing in one queue waiting to check in does anyone know whats going on here does ezy know this is going oni know how you feel, check your PMs will have details there for you, addresses etc for you to write to so you can express your concerns :ok:

JonnyBfs
10th Jul 2010, 17:46
I was wondering, apart from the Newark link, what transatlantic services will be available from Aldergrove?
Any further news on Canada flights (Air Transat, Canadian Affair?)
Will TCX continue to sell flights to SFB Sanford Orlando?
Also, when do we expect further Summer 2011 routes to be available?
(EI,LS,EZY,WW)

eastconsbrook
11th Jul 2010, 13:40
Ok
This morning

EI 945 at 0017

EZY 6700 at 0115

And another one later on I think TVS 3021

All over the top of the house and I would guess below 6000ft
Lots of noise from them
You get a weird sound of them when they come over as well

A whiney sound then a dull whooshy roar and then the noise of a plane going over head

Torque2
11th Jul 2010, 14:24
Make a formal complaint for investigation with times and details. Posting here wont get anything resolved. Whilst I hear what you're saying you are only managing to post theories with no actual fact. Sort it out if its as you say.

eastconsbrook
11th Jul 2010, 14:36
Sorry
Not making complaint
Just asking the experts why a plane flys over my house in the early hours of the morning
Its always in local papers that Aldergrove flights do not fly over the city
Ans only the flights to BHD anoy Belfast!!
SORRY!!

Torque2
11th Jul 2010, 17:00
By making a complaint you can find out the reality of the case. It may be well founded but in my experience the BFS controllers are compliant with the Noise Abatement procedures and I can't see how this can be happening.
All the aircraft you have referred to are IFR traffic. If there is a regular case of cancelling IFR and being granted a VFR approach over the city to less than the Noise Abatement limits then you have a genuine case to be answered. That won't happen here. :ok:

eastconsbrook
11th Jul 2010, 17:32
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

eastconsbrook
11th Jul 2010, 17:49
Not making complaint!!!!
Asking why!

I know its IFR traffic, tower ranger explained that to me a few posts back

My questiion is why do they come over the city at night

I know the Turbofan engine is louder on take off but the noise of the decending aircraft is more anoying if you are in bed watching a film as it lasts for a longer time

If they are on Noise Abatement its not working!!:D

I dont want to make a complaint about it as its not a big thing
I know I wind up people on this fourm a lot but people have to do their jobs and people have to get from A to ibiza.

I know a couple of the controlers at BFS and I know they are professional people up there ( after all they came from the City!!)

JUst wondering

eastern wiseguy
11th Jul 2010, 19:42
The flights you have mentioned would seem to have one thing in common and that is they are arrivals from airway N34 . That is to say they are inbound from the south west. The route for a 25 arrival would bring them over the city area from the direction of Lisburn. They WILL be below 6000 feet at some stage BUT they will be subject to a CDA . The noises you hear MAY be airframe noise as flap is extended.
I remember being alarmed at the noise of the "whisperjet" popping it's airbrake out until that was explained.

Noise from aircraft will always sound worse at night when the general ambient noise levels are lower.

At BFS we ALWAYS (underline and place in CAPS ) apply CDA's during the published hours.

As to your assertion that the noise profiles are not working I have no answer.I suggest you write to the airport and discuss it.

Perhaps you should think of something else to do in bed to take your mind off the "racket".:rolleyes:

Husky One
11th Jul 2010, 20:04
The 'noise' lasts a long time as the aircraft is flying more slowly than it wants to due to the published CDA constraint. Given the tailwinds recently there will also be a good helping of speed brake in order to keep a reasonable descent going. Nothing will be going over the city below 4000ft in descent CDA or not. Much to do about little but if you want a quiet profile approach then let the aircraft manage it rather than radar vector. For what it's worth the CDA will always go out the window when the wind is a strong southerly - unless you want multiple go-arounds due instability to wake up Antrim with instead.

eastconsbrook
11th Jul 2010, 20:08
Thanks

Dont think its worth writing as its no big deal
Cant sit beside BHD and complain about Aldergrove
JUst think its funny that BHD gets the blame from the locals even after their controllers are tucked up in bed!

Now what I do in bed..................thats on a differnt fourm!

eastern wiseguy
11th Jul 2010, 20:18
Husky one...what do you mean "it will always go out the window "? Please enlighten me as I am genuinely puzzled by that statement.

Solar
12th Jul 2010, 09:30
Just been looking at the BFS website in relation to the 1 GBP drop off fee and I see that as a one liner at the bottom of the page they have added the caveat that a 10 minute provision has been made available for those not wishing to pay this. In the "long term" car park, bit devious or what. People used to the old system will drive to the front of the terminal and be caught before they realise that there is no way out without paying the fee, why can they not do what BHD have done and have a covered (mostly) walkway from the short stay and keep things somewhat normal.
Done in light of the Glasgow bombings my posterior, suppose the terriost can't afford the pound.
Stinks of extortion I'm afraid.
Been using BHD twice a month now 5/6 years but decided on BFS a few months ago and am committed to them until November, guess where I'll be going back to after that.

tigger2k8
12th Jul 2010, 10:59
Despite the fact BFS has not put up the info about the free period in the long stay carpark on their website, it has been said on ALL of the news reports about it, so hopefully word has circulated, or is slowly getting out there... if people drive up infront of the terminal ignoring the bright yellow signs warning them of the charge and not to forget the media reports.. then they only have themselves to blame

Solar
12th Jul 2010, 11:38
tigger
With the greatest respect not everybody is a aware as you appear to be partictularly when not frequent travellers.
Why not have the free ten minutes in the short stay similar to BHD to avoid confusion? Why interduce the fee now when you couldn't park in front of the terminal for any length of time anyway before being moved on, how is this improving traffic flow!!!. I think we all can agree that the "security" slant is a bit of a red herring.
I haven't been home yet to see the big yellow signs that you mention but I can imagine that the traffic will be somewhat heavier on the route around the hotel when everybody catches on.
I'm sorry but what with the new security attitudes (unfriendly in the extreme) and this latest rip off Aldergrove is losing any respect I would have had for them.

tigger2k8
12th Jul 2010, 13:06
I dont mean this in a cheeky way or anything, but you dont need to be a frequent traveller to have heard about it on the news or to see the yellow signs, which warn drivers before they even get to the mini-roundabout leading to the front of the terminal... i dont think theres 1 person who watches the news that doesnt know about the drop-off charge, as the week they announced it was a reasonably slow news week, so it took the headlines for a few days.. theres probably a small percentge of people who genuinely have not heard anything yet on the news, but trust me, those yellow signs stand out:yuk:

Obviously the scheme has 3 motives that i can think of, not in order..., 1. Security (it actually does) 2. Traffic flow and 3. Revenue..

1. Security - as said, now brings them into line with UK Gov. Guidelines, a perfect excuse to bring in the fee

2. Traffic Flow - should bring an end to people stopping their cars on the road through the airport, causing traffic to back-up, you would be surprised how congested that small stretch of road got especially when people couldnt accept the fact there was no spaces to pull in and just stopped on the road :oh:, so it does actually improve traffic flow.. traffic seems to move quite easily through the zone, however all it takes is for 1 person not to have £1 or to mess around and it could cause trouble

3. Revenue - an airport needs to make money... airlines wanting lower landing fee's, terminal investment, the ash disruption (they still had to have staff on site)

Obviously, placing the free parking period in the short-stay would have been more conveniant (although it seems quite packed of cars at the minute, so it could be a similar distance of a walk)... but it takes away the whole idea of the drop off charge, which the airport wants money from....

There hasn't been a mass amount of cars littering the airport roads, which im very surprised about (apart from the usual hard shoulder parkers that have always been there)...or dropping people off on the road since the charge came in, so it seems plenty of people are just accepting the charge... give it a month and it will all be forgotten about, there was the same media attention to LTN

won't be long until its the norm at airports, BHD has a nice road layout to introduce it... id be very surprised if they dont introduce something within the next few years... however a spokesman from BHD has only ruled out a trolley charge for this year, so we could see trolley charging appear at BHD first before any sort of drop off charge

i dont agree with the charge at all, but an airport is there to make money.. they are basically shopping centres with a runway... the way they see it is, if you pay £20-£600+ on a plane ticket, £1 isnt breaking the bank... if someone drops you off at the airport then giving them £1 wont make you poor.. and taxi drivers outside of the offical airport ones will just add the charge to the fare..

Solar
13th Jul 2010, 01:40
tigger
I agree that airports need to make money and an additional pound is not the end of the world but it's the precedence that charges like this set and the reasons given that galls slightly.
I haven't been home yet to see the new signs so I'll take your word that drivers are given good advance warning.

Aaron9890
13th Jul 2010, 22:02
I saw the airline code CF on Belfast International Airport. I looked it up and found it was City Airlines. Do they do Cargo at the airport or what do they do?

BFS/BHD
14th Jul 2010, 01:34
Just a one off Aaron9890. Brought in the Rosenborg team to play Linfield :ok:.

Aaron9890
14th Jul 2010, 16:27
Ah thats right i forgot about that... when do they leave

BFS101
14th Jul 2010, 16:34
Not strictly to do with BFS, but in regard to the drop-off fee, and associated contension, found this similar article relating to EDI.

Edinburgh Airport drop off fee could be increased : Edinburgh Airport News Stories (http://www.uk-airport-news.info/edinburgh-airport-news-130710.html)

The planned £1 passenger drop-off charge at Edinburgh Airport could be increased if it fails to cut ‘kiss and fly’ trips, the Scotsman reports its boss said yesterday. Gordon Dewar said government officials had advised that a £1 fee might not be high enough to change behaviour. The airport expects the charge from October will reduce the number of cars using the drop-off zone beside the terminal by more than one third, from 1.6 million to about 1 million. However, Mr Dewar told the newspaper: ‘If it had no impact on the number of people who 'kiss and fly', you might want to review it. Scottish Government officials have suggested you may need to charge more to change behaviour.
In Northern Ireland the local representatives are up in arms about the £1 fee, yet in Scotland the Government officials are allegedly contemplating higher fees should £1 not change behaviour.

Aaron9890
15th Jul 2010, 20:45
A airline code JP which is Aidria Airways is coming in to belfast at 0:20 and leaving at 1:20 for Osijek Croatia. But it dosent do charter or sheduled flights from here so what is it dong here

JonnyBfs
15th Jul 2010, 21:04
Has anyone heard any chances of flights to Canada (ie YYZ Toronto) becoming available for next summer?

It would be great to have an old operator back eg. Transat :ok:

JN

johnref
15th Jul 2010, 21:07
Probably a football charter - a few European teams in N.Ireland tonight in Europa League action.

tigger2k8
16th Jul 2010, 10:23
Aaron9890, the City Airlines left yesterday at around lunchtime... theres was also a 727 in yesterday, not sure if its still there.. also carrying a football team as far as im aware

JonnyBFS, no one will really know for a few months yet, could be round new year or later before anything is released.. if there is anything to release...

Aaron9890
19th Jul 2010, 19:29
MON8027 Heraklion 06:20 fligh due into belfast tomorrow morning... another team coming over.. or a new charter flight?? cargo?? anybody know

eastern wiseguy
19th Jul 2010, 23:48
Bringing home the folks from the Goldtrail debacle?

jamier
20th Jul 2010, 11:10
Flew into Belfast (BFS) with Easyjet from Newcastle (NCL) on Friday 16th and was quite happy with how tidy the airport looked and how friendly the staff were in assisting us in getting to Belfast city centre and where to go and what to see.

On the way back out Monday 19th everything was all good until i got to security where i met who i consider to be the single most miserable person ive ever met. I had a sandwich clear bag with my toothpaste and aftershave in and then told me it wasnt clear enough even though he'd let my friend through 10 seconds before with the same bag, i looked at him and paused to which his reply was and take your shoes off aswell so i just smiled at him and did what he told me. When my bag went through he said something to the xray man who pulled my bag out of the other end of machine and put it down the side of the machine. I waited for the other security man to collect it and to go through it with me to which he replied "Theres nothing wrong with it so i dont know why he put it aside for" Other than that it was a great, fast transition through the airport even with the amount of pax about!

Aaron9890
20th Jul 2010, 16:07
Who was doing the flights for goldtrail before???

BFS101
20th Jul 2010, 18:04
Turkuaz and Onur to Bodrum and Dalaman,
Onur to Antalya, and
Viking to Heraklion and Corfu.

Antalya and the Greek destinations were only peak season, Dalaman and Bodrum season long.

Aaron9890
21st Jul 2010, 21:12
an airline with EZE coming in to Belfast from Trondheim.. what is the airline. Is it a football squad coming in again

dwlpl
21st Jul 2010, 21:18
EZE is Eastern Airways and it will be Linfield going back home after their CL match.

Aaron9890
25th Jul 2010, 03:27
Anyone know what Thomas cook are doing with their Sanford Orlando flights next year.. Are they increasing the number of them have they changed the dates or are they all just the same.. Thinking of going you see. Off to reus today on tcx .

tigger2k8
31st Jul 2010, 09:27
Well 2 more retail units are now open, duty free has moved to the old WHSmith and the irish shop has appeared, looks very well and modern, if the airport can do the whole place the same way, it might just make it a modern airport

tigger2k8
4th Aug 2010, 11:16
Aaron9890, just a quick update about the TCX SFB, couple of people i know have tried to book flights for 2011 from BFS to SFB but have been told theres no available flights to any of the long-haul destinations... either they have not released a schedule yet or they have pulled them... If they have pulled them id expect someone else to jump in as the airport should be a little more attractive for new airlines with all of the development and abertis will probably be offering some nice deals on landing fee's to get the new retail units filled.

The next phase of the redevelopment will be installing windows where the "Welcome to Belfast" sign is (the former Harp sign) with a restaurant moving into part of the old duty free area... the viewing gallery may also make a return, however its unclear if it will be landside or airside, its currently airside at the moment but with no passenger access

By the way, for anyone who is going to the drop off zone or the short stay car park, be cautious when driving up that one way system road, some people are driving up to the barriers discovering theres a charge of £1, or that you cant get to the long stay (even though additional signs are up...) and performing 3-point turns or reversing the whole way out of the 1 way system

Skipness One Echo
4th Aug 2010, 11:48
Is there anywhere at BFS to see the aircraft and take pictures within walking distance of the terminal?

Perhaps a PM might be better if someone knows,

Many thanks!

BFS101
4th Aug 2010, 11:50
Aaron9890, just a quick update about the TCX SFB, couple of people i know have tried to book flights for 2011 from BFS to SFB but have been told theres no available flights to any of the long-haul destinations... either they have not released a schedule yet or they have pulled them... They were available on-line previously and flight details in the 2011 brochures, but now Belfast is not in the drop down menu for Orlando, Cancun or the Dominican Republic. Gut feeling is that they may have got the chop, though just a feeling.

The CAA July figures are not yet available, but for June 10 Cancun rose from 177 to 311 from June 09, Puerto Plata from 163 to 263, but Sanford dropped from 3312 to 655 (charter passengers only figure for 2009). If these are pulled I could maybe see Thomson/Falcon offering a few peak dates to Orlando, but doubt anyone else would pick up the Cancun and Puerto Plata. Hopefully will not come to this. These flights seemed ideal to offer Belfast during our peak season, and helping fill the flight from the mainland during their lower season.

some people are driving up to the barriers discovering theres a charge of £1, or that you cant get to the long stay (even though additional signs are up...) and performing 3-point turns or reversing the whole way out of the 1 way system Whether you agree or disagree with the £1 charge, there is more than adequate signage relating to this. Just lazy driving and general stupidity from the public, no shock there really...

Aaron9890
4th Aug 2010, 15:56
Yes tiger2k8 i tried to book them myself and there is none either. it would be disappointing if the stopped these flights because. then there would only be two more long haul flights from Belfast which would be Cancun and Dominican Republic. I suppose most people are doing the flights to Florida from London and Dublin these days because there is better choice. BFS, if all the long haul flights haven't came up then maybe they haven't released the schedule for long haul flights yet

BFS101
4th Aug 2010, 18:14
Confirmed that the flights have been pulled. Telephoned Thomas Cook at Forestside this afternoon, and they confirmed that they received a memo stating that Florida, Mexico and Dominican Republic are no longer on sale for summer 2011.

With Thomas Cook prepared to give Belfast a try for long haul peak season flights, these should have been advertised on a wider basis. The amount of folk up here prepared to drive upwards of a hundred miles to save a few quid or to get a direct flight from Dublin.

Well surely if BFS offered the only direct Cancun flight on the island, or a Dominican Republic flight on a widebody, rather than a Primera 737 via Gander, people from the Republic was consider and use BFS likewise. All the traffic is from Northern Ireland down, almost like some just consider the drive to Dublin as part and parcel of the trip. Well if Thomas Cook advertised, especially when they had their Irish branch network, destinations served by BFS not served by Dublin, we could get some more punters.

BFS may have not done themselves any favours recently, and guess Dublin are going to soon get to display gorgeous terminal 2, but while BFS may not hold many cards in relation to Dublin, the routes we offered that Dublin didn't should have been exploited, especially long haul leisure.

Same happened when Anatolian Sky and Metak when they offered North Cyprus from BFS with KTHY over a number of years, to tap into the whole of Ireland market, as they couldn't operated from Republic, but very poorly advertised down south and the flights pulled...

clareview
4th Aug 2010, 19:18
Ref discussion about flights to Orlando, things have sure changed from a few of years ago when there were at least 2 direct flights a week in the peak from Aldergrove, even if some of them originated elsewhere. I recall flying one March with Airtours (DC10 out, B767 back) with passengers who had boarded at Manchester.

Anyway Aaron9890 speculated that Florida bound passengers for Orlando are now going via Great Britain. I suspect this is not the case and they are driving to Dublin for the Aer Lingus scheduled flight to Orlando. While some might thing the car or express bus to Dublin is inconvenient, the EI flight goes to Orlando International which considerably reduces the time taken to get to the resorts in Orlando compared to charter flights into Sanford.

Torque2
4th Aug 2010, 20:44
You all need to look at the hard facts. Costs. Passenger tax changes will make the previous deals unworkable and so if a route is not likely to be profitable then it will not be offerred. All the observations made so far are wishful thinking with no hard facts of how many people will want to spend an extra £250 minimum travelling longhaul from the UK for their family holiday.
I'm sure TCX don't make these decisions lightly, they have teams of professionals researching the facts, however don't let facts get in the way of speculation, it wouldn't do at all.

easyJet A321
4th Aug 2010, 21:55
Maybe MON will do some Long Haul charter routes from BFS with their MAN based A332 because this year it only seems to do two long haul routes per week (CUN & SFB) and the rest medium haul like LXR so I suppose there is always MON who might operate it on behalf of tour operators.

BFS101
5th Aug 2010, 08:22
Anyway Aaron9890 speculated that Florida bound passengers for Orlando are now going via Great Britain. I suspect this is not the case and they are driving to Dublin for the Aer Lingus scheduled flight to Orlando.
Speaking to a contact at Thomson, stated that American Holidays have a great deal with Virgin, so majority of travel agents are routing holidaymakers BHD LGW MCO with VS, rather than on direct TCX flights. Prices are working out much cheaper, and customers are happy with the presumption that VS offer a more superior inflight service. With this VS offer, or the choice to fly CO scheduled, they stated demand for the direct charter was low, especially as it was often working out the most expensive option. I'm sure some also have used the EI option out of Dublin, scheduled direct to MCO.
Maybe MON will do some Long Haul charter routes from BFS with their MAN based A332 because this year it only seems to do two long haul routes per week (CUN & SFB) and the rest medium haul like LXR so I suppose there is always MON who might operate it on behalf of tour operators. I don't think that it's aircraft availibility that's the issue, I think it's low yields from BFS. It suits TCX to route the flights originating in MAN through BFS when demand is lower in England (end June / start July) and demand high in NI, trying to hold up yields. This obviously isn't paying off as planned, so Thomas Cook group pulling the flights. Doubt they'd stop using TCX and then either Thomas Cook group, or another tour operator to recommence but using Monarch.

Aaron9890
5th Aug 2010, 14:00
Maybe Continental Airlines mights start to do a route to MCO to celebrate their years being at BFS. I was looking at the Virgin Atlantic brochure and the sure do have cheaper holidays from LGW. So indeed more people must be taking the BHD - LGW - MCO. It would be great to see Virgin Atlantic or British Airways start long haul flights from BFS, but they are both fixed on just doing those kind of flighs from LHR and LGW in a competition against each other.

Aaron9890
5th Aug 2010, 14:05
Also now that Thomas Cook have stopped long haul flights from BFS they might add more european destinations.

Jamie2k9
5th Aug 2010, 14:21
Continental Airlines only operate 3 routes from Orlando International Airport and they don't have a base there so I wouldn't think that will happen.

Aer Lingus fly from Dublin all year and since the new road opened it less then an 1 hour and 30 mins to the airport.

BFS101
5th Aug 2010, 15:07
I was looking at the Virgin Atlantic brochure and the sure do have cheaper holidays from LGW. So indeed more people must be taking the BHD - LGW - MCO.
As far as I'm aware the deal is direct between American Holidays as the tour operator and Virgin Atlantic offering the seats, with connecting FlyBE flights included. Some may also book indpendently direct with Virgin Holidays, but was told specifically that many travel agents are booking through American Holidays because of this deal they have in place. Thus taking away demand for the direct BFS SFB flights.

Also now that Thomas Cook have stopped long haul flights from BFS they might add more european destinations.
Love your optimism, but not so sure. Recently Thomas Cook have went from basing 2 season long A320's, to this year 1 A321 and peak season Smartwings 737, and so far next year is just the one based unit. Obviously this could change with booking demands, but currently no peak season Corfu, no peak Rhodes, no peak Fuerteventura, no peak Las Palmas.

Hopefully these will be introduced over the next few months, as initially for this year we had a peak season bmi. This was then pulled along with the destinations and extra capacity, only to be reintroduced months later but using Smartwings. Zakynthos, Paphos and Gerona also all recent casualties from Thomas Cook...

Aaron9890
5th Aug 2010, 15:28
When do you think the next long haul flights will come and who do you think (if you do) will introduce them.. what about Thomson. What i honestly think is that Thomas Cook will reintroduce them

Aaron9890
5th Aug 2010, 15:33
basically they need new aircraft lol

victoria73
5th Aug 2010, 18:22
I doubt if you will see any new destinations added next year just the same ones that have been offered for the past couple off years thomascook have been at bfs about landing charges so that could have contributed to thomascook pulling those 3 destinations or maybe its a negotiating ploy on the airlines behalf they did it last year and came up with travel service its case of just wait and see and also Gerona is back next year thomson are doing it

clareview
5th Aug 2010, 19:00
So did Flyglobespan have BFS-SFB sewn up and when it went no one else had time to get in there properly or where the Flyglobespan figures so bad that it put everyone else off?

The short season this summer was hardly ever advertised.

Looks like its DUB - MCO, Continental via EWR, Virgin via LGW plus Flybe or a charter from Man or LGW for the next year or so. As I said before MCO is a lot more convenient than SFB where the charters go so maybe that is helping overlook the inconvenience at this end.

BFS101
5th Aug 2010, 22:14
and also Gerona is back next year thomson are doing it
Mistake in the initial print of the brochure. The Friday morning TOM flight is to Reus for the Costa Dorada, not Gerona as originally printed. No flights to Gerona next year from BFS so far announced. Subsequent TUI group brochure prints and websites now correct.

Aaron9890
8th Aug 2010, 13:26
Bulgaria air make new route to Plovdiv from Belfast International. I think this would be good for Belfast because the only other way you can get to this airport from the U.K is by Ryanair from Stansted..

Jamie2k9
8th Aug 2010, 13:32
The route is operating from Dublin also with Balkan Tours

BFS101
8th Aug 2010, 14:03
Is this not just a replacement for the Sofia winter charter. For years it operated into Plovdiv, usually with a TU-154, then changed to Sofia airport, and would now appear to be reverting back to Plovdiv.

Balkan Tours operate a winter program fron both Belfast and Dublin.

Aaron9890
8th Aug 2010, 22:48
Also I was wondering if anyone would know this. There is a football match in Montenegro ( for Northern Ireland vs Montenegro as a friendly) Do all the players meet in Northern Ireland and get flights from BFS???

Also i just found out Easyjet announced new route to Zurich starting on 19th December

Jamie2k9
8th Aug 2010, 23:08
The EZY route is a charter operated for directski.com. so not bookable on easyjet.com

Aaron9890
9th Aug 2010, 02:02
Forgot to add that i was lucky enough to see the 8 red arrows landing at BFS around 1730 on saturday. Some noise comes from them..Did a performance going into the airport aswell... is that just athing they do when landing or is it for the airport. Plus i noticed that they could all land on the runway at the same time... is that cause they are so small. It was a very organised great looking landing. I listened to my scanner and the ATC said " all red arrows cleared to land". i couldnt even see them and then from nowhere the came in at some speed. Great planes1

eastern wiseguy
9th Aug 2010, 11:57
Aaron they are treated as a single entity for Tower purposes. As to the routine it is like ballet. The last to land is the first to taxi in and the "dance" they always do on the runway is quite amazing.:)

Aaron9890
9th Aug 2010, 13:29
Any news on any aer lingus new routes. it would be good to see them add one or two like easyjet

Jamie2k9
9th Aug 2010, 14:23
I don't think BFS will get more EI routes at the monement. The base is currently loss making but EI have said that it should return to profit by early next year.

They have done tried a number of routes and they didn't do well.

Aaron9890
10th Aug 2010, 00:29
Flight EZE1666 from Glasgow coming in to Belfast at 11 20. Anyone know what its doing here.... is it picking up linfield for their match against rangers??

Jim Beam
10th Aug 2010, 13:09
Hi guys, just a question its only reason I registered, you lot seem to know your stuff.

1: I have had to book my holiday to Florida from Glasgow with Thomas Cook as no direct flights from Belfast anymore,even thou I have to fly to glasgow you know what i mean - is there a carrier likely to return to doing direct, since we lost globespan etc

2: Rumor on varius other forums is that as of next year Virgin are to do a stop over in Belfast to pick up, any truth in this or just another rumor.

Many thanks in advance...

Jim Beam

gate 22
10th Aug 2010, 13:29
Rumor on varius other forums is that as of next year Virgin are to do a stop over in Belfast to pick up, any truth in this or just another rumor.

Wouldn't be surprised, Canada/Florida are sitting ducks. What will probably happen is that EI will sit around and wait and see who starts TA operations from Belfast and then think 'well that sounds like an option' at that point they will probably also start. No buses then 2 come along scenario.

BFS101
10th Aug 2010, 13:33
I think the most likely development will be a few dates over the very peak NI holidays, offered by Thomson Group / TUI, potentially originating from the mainland, or at a push a few VS departures again stopping en-route from Britain. I have heard no rumours regarding either though. I'm sure BFS management will be craving an operator to pick up this route though. Maybe in more economic sunny times.

Is there a reason why you have felt the need to book from GLA with Thomas Cook, rather than from BFS via EWR with Continental, or VS from LGW with FlyBE connecting flights?? Just curious. American Holidays package the VS option to allow financial security, flight transfers etc. Not sure if tour operators "package" using the CO option, but certainly is a popular option if booking each element seperately.

gate 22
10th Aug 2010, 13:47
VS from LGW with FlyBE connecting flights??

I saw an advertisement today on the NITRAVELNEWS website by American Holidays. The advert was Orlando from Dublin with VS. Is that DUB/LGW/ORLANDO or do VS fly to Orlando direct from Dublin. Maybe this is the VS rumour not BFS but Dub.

Jamie2k9
10th Aug 2010, 13:54
Fights from DUB go via LGW. BA code share on LGW route with EI. Aer Lingus operate the LGW leg and the BA operate the Orlando leg. This is from American Hoildays in Jun 2011

BFS101
10th Aug 2010, 13:56
American Holidays operate packages from both Belfast and Dublin, and also tailor make packages also.

The vast majority of customers from NI use VS from LGW connecting with FlyBE. I believe that American Holidays have an excellent contract with VS this year, so Dublin originating passengers may also be filtered through Gatwick onto VS flights from there. Don't believe that VS operate direct from DUB.

While the VS option may work out the cheapest with the current deal, American Holidays will still route on the direct EI and potentially CO from BFS, as tailor made options.

gate 22
10th Aug 2010, 14:08
Fights from DUB go via LGW. BA code share on LGW route with EI. Aer Lingus operate the LGW leg and the BA operate the Orlando leg. This is from American Hoildays in Jun 2011

So its cheaper to fly EI to LGW then VS to Orlando, rather than EI direct from Dublin. The EI/BA leg to LGW is feeding passengers off EI direct and BA to Orlando - strange.

Jamie2k9
10th Aug 2010, 14:13
Aer Lingus only fly from DUB 3 weekly and from October there is going to Business Class on the route so there will be 24 less seats in Economy.

I think most people pay the bit extra to fly direct from DUB insted of going by LGW.

During peak season EI carry between 6500 - 8000 on the route.

eastern wiseguy
10th Aug 2010, 15:08
I am not entirely certain it WOULD be cheaper to fly from ANY UK airport. The tax is astronomical. CO from BFS NEED the impetus of competition on the transatlantic route. I know that I always seem find EIN cheaper to the US midwest.

tigger2k8
10th Aug 2010, 15:58
Aaron, yes the flight is for the rangers team

dwlpl
10th Aug 2010, 16:56
Flight EZE1666 from Glasgow coming in to Belfast at 11 20. Anyone know what its doing here.... is it picking up linfield for their match against rangers??

Rangers are playing Glentoran tonight in Belfast.

clareview
10th Aug 2010, 17:47
American Holidays web site seems to show Continental from BFS to MCO via EWR

Aaron9890
10th Aug 2010, 20:48
My friend works for Thomson and said to me earlier today that they are considering starting a route from BFS to Orlando

clareview
10th Aug 2010, 21:48
what do you mean STARTING? Thomson's predecessors flew the BFS-SFB route in the past

aidoair
10th Aug 2010, 21:52
Well he clearly means that they are planning on operating a flight to SFB. Don't think he said brand new route?

Jamie2k9
10th Aug 2010, 21:57
IS there any reason why TCX are dropping the route. What were passenger levels on the route. Was it cheeper for people to goe via LGW with Virgin insted of geoing direct from BFS.

Aaron9890
10th Aug 2010, 23:15
thats what i meant sorry... starting them again

clareview
11th Aug 2010, 19:29
The are probably dropping it due to poor numbers but as I said elsewhere, it was a short season poorly advertised - even a couple of agents I spoke to had to check that the service existed.

Shame really has a few years ago there was one long season service, one normal season service plus a few extra peak flights. Seems people prefer the flexible dates the scheduled alternatives off even if that means a 2 flight journey or the 90 minute drive to Dublin.

tigger2k8
11th Aug 2010, 20:51
hmmm, im not so sure if it was anything to do with passenger numbers as far as i know the flights where picking up a lot of passengers at BFS, but perhaps the price they were paying... maybe the extra fuel required for the stop at BFS was hitting their profits and since they know people will travel to DUB it seems the more sensible option?

i really cant see SFB not being served by someone from next year again, even if its only high season flights.. hopefully by next year the aviation industry will be back on its feet again

BFS101
11th Aug 2010, 21:50
maybe the extra fuel required for the stop at BFS was hitting their profits and since they know people will travel to DUB it seems the more sensible option?

Though the Thomas Cook Group don't offer Florida packages from DUB, so then they are basically giving up and offering these passengers to their competition on a plate.

As my contact had stated, Thomas Cook priced themselves out of the Florida market, with the travel trade selling BE and VS from Gatwick (American Holidays), over the direct flights as in most cases it was cheaper, and most holidaymakers perceived VS to be a more superior airline!

hopefully by next year the aviation industry will be back on its feet again
Well as the rest of the UK shows some green shoots of recovery, NI is still very much lagging behind. With continued economic depression and gloomy outlook in this part of the country, and disposable incomes therefore more limited, I'd reckon it'll be a few years yet before people are confident to be taking as many holidays and breaks as they were pre recession.

Torque2
12th Aug 2010, 09:52
Oh do get a grip! The economics of the situation are the essentials. TCX haven't 'priced themselves out of the market'. If there is not a reasonable profit to be made on the route for whatever pecuniary reason then whoever decides to pick up on it will either have to reduce their margins or take a loss on the route (or finance it in a totally different way a la Ryanair). In the current climate that would be stupid. No matter what you personally think, unless you can assess the actual cost and profit of a route, speculation is pointless. It has been pointed out previously and correctly that the travel industry is not operated for the benefit of the Northern Ireland traveller but to make a profit. The benefits are secondary and only happen when profits are made thus sustaining any route.

BFS101
12th Aug 2010, 10:17
that the travel industry is not operated for the benefit of the Northern Ireland traveller but to make a profit.
Totally agree with that. Utimately all routes, charter or scheduled, need to be sustainable for the operator.

TCX haven't 'priced themselves out of the market'. If there is not a reasonable profit to be made on the route for whatever pecuniary reason then whoever decides to pick up on it will either have to reduce their margins or take a loss on the route
Again I agree. Though share with us these economics! So do Thomas Cook have such high overheads, or very rigid pricing, or other such reason, that they can't make an adequate profit from Belfast? If it can work out cheaper time and again to utilise BE and VS via Gatwick (or other options, CO via EWR, EI), then why are TCX not being able to compete on price from BFS? Why for years has BFS had Florida flights, on many occasions more than one flight per week? Has demand really collapsed that much?? FlyGlobespan collapsed leaving very little competition direct from BFS, and yet still Thomas Cook find it unprofitable, or not profitable enough, to continue to offer a Florida program.

Demand apparently prompted FlyGlobespan to operate year round from BFS, twice weekly in the summer. Prompted season long TCX in the past with extra frequencies over June / July. And yet for summer 2011 TCX feel they can not make an adequate profit on Florida from Belfast at all???? While CO may have taken some passengers, EI some, and VS, is there not a market for those who want the convenience of flying direct, but who still aren't prepared to pay substancially more than the indirect route competition.

I realise the recession has hit hard across the UK and Ireland, but for demand to have existed to allow multiple flights for years upon years to Canada and Florida, to suddenly now have zero!! Zoom must have seen potential from Belfast, to add more and more capacity, but then Zoom as a whole met a sticky end. There has always been an element of leakage to DUB, but what on earth has happened to get to this stage??

JonnyBfs
12th Aug 2010, 10:53
I totally agree with yoy BFS101!
I travelled numerous times on direct Toronto services and now it is necessary to travel to Dublin (Which i can't be bothered with) or to go to the mainland.

Hopefully some airline will pick up on BFS for July 2011.

Torque2
12th Aug 2010, 11:43
You've mostly answered your questions yourself and it really points out how much hearsay and tittle-tattle plays in a lot of posters lives on this forum.
There is no Globespan, there is no Skyservice, there is no Zoom. There has been no uptake previously by any of the other charter operators because of the small profitability on the routes.
When you come up with your next theory of how to make a profitable route out of thin air please share your business plan so that all may benefit. I'm sure that if people pledged to pay whatever it costs then that would make a difference.

Take into account hurricanes, volcanic ash, european recompense legislation which would require you to pay out more than the original cost of the holiday, factor in as yet undefined tax costs per airframe per trip and finally the unwillingness of the travelling public to pay any realistic price in these difficult times. Postulate the ramblings of your mate in factual manner and then come up with the usual bull that is too apparent here.

Yes it is a rumour forum but so far the rumours are speculous daydreams made from gossip.

When Virgin et al actually sign up transatlantic from BFS and the route lasts for more than a couple of introductory seasons then I'll review the above.
Its more likely that Ryanair will start their first transatlantic route from BFS.

BFS101
12th Aug 2010, 12:09
But when an airlines enters the Belfast market, potentially for an initial trial period, but to then continue to add capacity, surely this shows a sustainable demand in the opinion of that company. In my view an airline will not add more capacity to an airport that they feel will be loss making, or where sustainable demand does not exist. Zoom added destinations, capacity and year round operations, as did FlyGlobespan and other also in the past. For this point I believe a Belfast operation has to be looked at seperately from the overall company going bust. As we are unaware of the specifics, for all we know BFS could've been holding its own in regard to the aformentioned carriers.

If each of these individual companies recognised this alleged sustainable demand from BFS, then what has changed?? And while NI may have faired worse than the rest of the UK in the recession; while are mainland counterparts continue to receive transatlantic charters, BFS is the one that has gone from potentially too much capacity in the past, but now to none at all. Businesses wont want to take risks in this current climate, but I believe that some of these risks could pay off, if only they were given a chance.

gate 22
12th Aug 2010, 12:13
Yes it is a rumour forum but so far the rumours are speculous daydreams made from gossip.

I think that the evidence from past years 1969-2009 has proven that there is a very strong link between Canada and NI, even during the worst of the troubles. From the 80's 2 maybe 3 operators operating to Toronto. I think that during that time the carriers were making a profit as it was not a charitable service. Indeed BFS/Toronto carried more than BHX/Toronto on a number of years. This year there were flights Toronto/Exeter if my memory serves me well. I would certainly ask the question as to why there were no operators BFS/Canada during 2010? The only excuse is the recession. Indeed Fly Glopespan/Zoom etc quit not because of BFS but due to the airlines folding.
A daydream would be to imagine Virgin to set up a base at BFS with 25 US destinations served, however a summer flight program to Sanford or Toronto is well within expectations.

JonnyBfs
12th Aug 2010, 13:46
The YYZ flight always seemed busy when I flew, especially with Air Transat.
A peak season Sanford, weekly flight is reasonable!

gate 22
13th Aug 2010, 09:24
Thomas Cook has made it even more convenient for holidaymakers to jet away next summer by offering more choice on flights from Belfast International Airport. Those looking for sun, sea and sand will be able to fly to the Egyptian destination of Sharm el Sheikh every Wednesday from 4 May to 26 October 2011.

From BFS news webpage

No mention of Florida

BFS101
13th Aug 2010, 10:55
Unfortunately not an extra flight. Just the Thomas Cook Group taking allocation on the already mentioned TOM flight.

BFS 13.55 - 21.45 SSH
SSH 22.45 - 03.00 BFS

Torque2
13th Aug 2010, 11:49
Indeed Fly Glopespan/Zoom etc quit not because of BFS but due to the airlines folding.

And thereby is the root of the matter. If the routes had been lucrative then other airlines would have jumped at the chance to take them on after the demise of said companies.

They didn't. Cause and effect. Routes not paying cause companies to close.

Just because you think there is a profit to be made does not make it so in reality.

gate 22
13th Aug 2010, 13:44
Just because you think there is a profit to be made does not make it so in reality.

The airline and world economy are a bit unpredictable at the moment. The proof of the pudding will be when and not if services to Toronto and Orlando start from a Belfast airport.

BFS101
13th Aug 2010, 14:48
Cause and effect. Routes not paying cause companies to close.Very simplistic. I certainly have no specific financial performance results for routes from Belfast, I with all due respect would personally doubt you would too.

Not every route of an airline that goes bust will necessarily be loss making. I would bet plenty of routes served would be profit making for airlines but they still go under, for a whole host of other and complex reasons.

Doubt every base, or every destination, was loss making for the likes of Zoom, Globespan, XL Travel Group, Budget Travel, etc. But with the lack of the relevant financial detail, other operators may not realise the potential lucrative routes, left in the wake of collapses, in this case potentially Belfast.

Torque2
14th Aug 2010, 09:19
Its just not possible to get through to you you that transatlantic routes are expensive, have major potential compensatory and delay based losses and are therefore required to be able to have a robust profit margin...is it?

You have answered all your questions but still insist that it in your opinion such and such would be viable.

You then go on to query whether I would have financial details to support my argument and suggest that loss making routes don't make an airline go bust but outside factors do.? I assume you refer to the Globespan situation in particular? If they hadn't had such a small profit margin then they wouldn.t have alternative business deals which eventually would cause a drying up of their own money. That money would only have delayed the inevitable according to informed financial sources after the fact. (Interesting that Zoom used the same functionary.)
You don't need to have any details to do the likely risk assessment on such a route. No company is going to risk anything at this time unless they get a deal on something such as landing fees etc. which will give it a reasonable chance of success. That lies within the remit of the airport operators, should they decide that they want a transatlantic operation then they will come up with incentives for same.

Now that 'pie in the sky' suggestions have been shown as such can we get back to real life interesting and relevant facts for BFS. I enjoy fiction as much as the next person but fantasy becomes boring quickly.

gate 22
14th Aug 2010, 13:41
Now that 'pie in the sky' suggestions have been shown as such can we get back to real life interesting and relevant facts for BFS. I enjoy fiction as much as the next person but fantasy becomes boring quickly

What 'pie in the sky' suggestions. I would say that management at BFS have Florida and Canada near the very top of their hit list as far as reinstating routes goes are they naive?

dublinaviator
14th Aug 2010, 17:31
as far as reinstating routes goes are they naive?

Very. Zoom and flyglobespan may have had good loads on their BFS flights, but for all we know they could've had very low yields on those routes, which would explain why they went bust, Zoom especially. Remember, you can't blame 'outside factors' such as the recession on Zoom going bust, because they closed down before the Lehmans Bros. crisis.

The reality is whatever little potential a Belfast-Canada route might have, its not enough. Aer Lingus will be focusing any future long-haul expansion on Dublin from now on, Air Transat are focusing on their Dublin and Shannon routes, and the only other obvious airline that would fly from Belfast is Air Canada who only fly seasonal to Dublin, so they're unlikely to ever fly to Belfast.

en2r
14th Aug 2010, 20:04
The reality is whatever little potential a Belfast-Canada route might have, its not enough. Aer Lingus will be focusing any future long-haul expansion on Dublin from now on, Air Transat are focusing on their Dublin and Shannon routes, and the only other obvious airline that would fly from Belfast is Air Canada who only fly seasonal to Dublin, so they're unlikely to ever fly to Belfast
Air Canada couldn't get out of Shannon quick enough so I doubt they'd want to operate to Belfast which is now less than 2 hours from Dublin.

Aer Lingus are the same, all future long haul expansion for the next few years will be concentrated on Dublin. Aer Lingus longhaul is very much dependent on transfer passengers. Aer Lingus combined with Aer Lingus Regional have a huge feeder network at Dublin. The only route suitable for connections at Belfast would be LHR.

Jamie2k9
14th Aug 2010, 20:22
Aer Lingus also now have connections to 5 major cities in Canada now via Chicago all year round.

Air Transat also fly Montreal from Dublin. Its also a seasonal route.

Aaron9890
15th Aug 2010, 19:39
I cant see Aer Lingus doing long haul flights from BFS.. reason being because they will want to keep al their long haul flights in their home in Dublin airport... if they did this would effect the number of passengers going from Dublin (declining) . As for Ryanair, if they do create a base in BFS (unlikely) it would create some compilation with their rivals Aer Lingus and would bring more destinations to BFS. They only way i see them doing long haul from BFS is when their new RyanAtlantic begins.. but it is now delayed to 2014 at the earliest. What i hope Ryan air will do sometime is add european destinations to BHD but they would need the runway extended... btw what do people think about BHD runway being extended

Jamie2k9
15th Aug 2010, 19:48
There will nervier be any Long Haul routes from BFS with Aer Lingus as DUB and SNN have pre clearance and they will start arriving in the Domestic Terminal but if BFS had them they would have to go through the International Terminal and EI wouldn't have this. They are refusing to use the pre clearance in SNN until the one in Dublin is open in November.

waffler
15th Aug 2010, 21:00
Aer Lingus are using pre clearance in Shannon and the pax are walking from the aircraft to their bags then out the door unimpeded.

True Blue
15th Aug 2010, 21:31
Will Jet2 base 3 aircraft at Bfs next summer? It seems a Bfs based aircraft will operate the afternoon/evening Leeds service. There also seems to be work for 2 other aircraft.

True Blue

Jamie2k9
15th Aug 2010, 22:01
Aer Lingus are using pre clearance in Shannon and the pax are walking from the aircraft to their bags then out the door unimpeded.

Back in May Aer Lingus said they would use SNN pre clearance for New York JFK flights only.

Aer Lingus: About Us - Press Releases (http://www.aerlingus.com/aboutus/aerlingusmedia/pressreleases/title,2012,en.html)

The flights are still arriving and departing from T4 in New York JFK. T4 is the International Ternimal.

Flight Information - Airports - The Port Authority of NY & NJ (http://www.panynj.gov/airports/flight-status.html?view=&apt=JFK)

They are not moving Terminals until the Dublin flights start from november.

True Blue
15th Aug 2010, 22:09
Mods, why is all this discussion about what EI are doing at Dub/Snn with regard to USA pre-clearance appearing on a thread related to Bfs?

True Blue

Jamie2k9
15th Aug 2010, 22:11
I cant see Aer Lingus doing long haul flights from BFS.. reason being because they will want to keep al their long haul flights in their home in Dublin airport... if they did this would effect the number of passengers going from Dublin (declining) . As for Ryanair, if they do create a base in BFS (unlikely) it would create some compilation with their rivals Aer Lingus and would bring more destinations to BFS. They only way i see them doing long haul from BFS is when their new RyanAtlantic begins.. but it is now delayed to 2014 at the earliest. What i hope Ryan air will do sometime is add european destinations to BHD but they would need the runway extended... btw what do people think about BHD runway being extended

Because of this post

True Blue
15th Aug 2010, 22:15
It would be nice to get back to discussing Bfs, not what Ei are doing at Dub/Snn regarding pre-clearance.

True Blue

dublinaviator
16th Aug 2010, 16:18
True Blue maybe if you'd have followed the thread, you'd know why Aer Lingus' operations in DUB and SNN were being discussed.

I'm sure if people were talking about British Airways' operations at LHR, you wouldn't have a problem...:rolleyes:

BFS101
16th Aug 2010, 16:31
I'm sure if people were talking about British Airways' operations at LHR, you wouldn't have a problem...:rolleyes:
??????????????

clareview
16th Aug 2010, 17:34
Never say never - who knows what opportunities the future holds - I wonder if the A350 might provide opportunities. Anyway EI did do Belfast - Shannon - JFK for several years (1994-2001 or thereabouts) with the possibility, I think I recall, of changing at Shannon to the Boston Aer Lingus flight. I used it for the Belfast shannon leg only a few times and there was always a resonable number of passengers thought the bulk of the flights customers joined at shannon. Pre clearance might make this an option again (though 2 hours by raod from Belfast to Dublin will not help the possibilities - in the mid 90's it was close to 3 hours.

BFS101
16th Aug 2010, 18:42
The Aer Lingus idea, through SNN should definitely be explored more. Seperately each airport may have limited demand, but together could potentially reach the threshold required. When EI offered this flight in the past JFK and BOS were the two available destinations as stated by Clareview.

I'd hate for EI to now compete with CO for the New York market, and potentially transfer passengers to BOS; and then for CO to pull the direct flight. To go from BFS having a sustainable direct service, to potentially only having one-stop via SNN in my view would be a horrendous step back.

Though ultimately, if possible EI via Shannon to destinations not currently available, or those that wouldn't destroy a more current convenient routing. Via SNN to O'Hare, Canadian destinations???

Noted that the CAA figures for July showed that CO carried more passengers to BFS from EWR, than to GLA, BRS and BHX.

clareview
16th Aug 2010, 19:25
Continental EWR service is great in terms of convenience from BFS and interestingly the Bristol service is being pulled. However the queue at EWR for passport/immigation can be horrendous and connections can be lost (though Continental are good at sorting this when it happens)

True Blue
16th Aug 2010, 19:41
I will ignore the politically loaded comments in post no 388.

True Blue

tigger2k8
16th Aug 2010, 19:46
i think the only thing we can do is sit and wait to see what happens, instead of listing most of the major airlines... i honestly believe that EI will have a long-haul flight from BFS within the next few years... the management at BFS has a soft spot for EI and also believes EI will have a wide-body performing a route in the future....for the size of the operation at BFS it is doing extremely well.. yes its not in profit just yet.. once EI gets itself back on its feet expansion will happen.. before anyone quotes me on EI, note i said in the future, not next month :}

for all we know BA may return, after all last time i was down at cargo they still had a lease on a cargo shed

lets wait and see

EI-BUD
20th Aug 2010, 09:23
Just reading the CAA stats for July. Aer Lingus had an excellent month on BFS LHR at 32013.

I note that bmi saw a significant dip to 43468. This might be where the speculation is coming from re bmi cutting the frequency.

Easyjet LTN BHD seems to be doing quite well considering that they are carrying in excess of 14k pax per month at twice daily rotations (compared to same time LY from BFS at 24k on 4 daily).

Easyjet´s Stansted service from BFS stabilised matching last years figures (no decline over same period LY-only a few). However, Gatwick suffering with an 8% decline.

Flybe have been steadily growing there traffic on BHD month on month, probably thanks to there interline arrangements, but just shows how effective the regional carrier can be.

EI-BUD

BFS101
20th Aug 2010, 09:57
My quick calculations would show BD still holding their own, mind you.

EI with 4 flights a day, 174 capacity A320 - load factor of 74%
BD with 6 flights a day, 144 capacity A319 - load factor of 81%*

based on A319's with highest capacity.

Both seem pretty strong results (not knowing yield), pity that EI reverts back to 3 daily LHR in the winter timetable. With BD achieving good cabin fill, it'd be a shame to see flights drastically reduced. Talk of flights down to 5/day, but also 4/day.

tigger2k8
20th Aug 2010, 22:51
numbers are starting to stabilise, however i think we will see a decline at BFS for the yearly statistics, as losing the goldtrail flights will no doubt impact numbers..

isnt much point of having 4 LHRs in the winter, while business travel makes up the majority of passengers the extra flights are really only added for transferring passengers and the added demand in summer

quite a few LGW flights have been cancelled in the last 2 months, which more than likely accounts for a couple of the % drop

also starbucks will be moving into the old duty free area, which now has windows looking out onto the apron

CCR
20th Aug 2010, 23:48
Regarding the return of Aer Lingus transatlantic services out of Belfast, I think with the recovery in the airline industry underway, it's only a matter of time.
Shannon used have a direct service to Chicago in the summer schedule and via Dublin in the winter. Maybe EI will introduce a Chicago service from Belfast via Shannon in the coming years.
The airport options for transatlantic services from Ireland really are limited for Aer Lingus. The only other airport that could possibly introduce transatlantic services in the future is Cork though I'm not sure how a A350 would cope with the 7,000 feet runway there.
That said, back in the boom times even Knock had a transatlantic service with FlyGlobespan:ok:

Aaron9890
25th Aug 2010, 21:58
3 bits of good news that have come in from both airports just in case you hadn't heard:

1. Manx2 opens hub in Belfast and takes over cork route.
2. Turkey specialist offers more choice for travellers.. more weekly Bodrum and Dalaman flights weekly by Holidays4U
3. Direct services to Venice and new service beginning to Vienna on 4th December

Jamie2k9
25th Aug 2010, 23:53
Correct me if I'm wrong but Venice and Vienna seen to be a once off. Vienna in December and Venice in March.

ara01jbb
26th Aug 2010, 07:13
1. Manx2 opens hub in Belfast and takes over cork route.

Good news for Belfast, but not BFS. The base and route to ORK will be from BHD, won't it?

BFS101
26th Aug 2010, 10:24
The Vienna and Venice flights do appear to be one-offs at this stage, the Vienna being a short break over two nights for the Christmas markets, and the Venice being a day trip. Both operated by travel-solutions.co.uk.

Good news regarding the Holidays4U expansion, however will still be a huge drop in capacity for summer 11 following the demise of Goldtrail.

Manx2 do seem to be basing an aircraft at BHD to operate the ORK, however currently the aircraft is only scheduled to operate these two ORK flights. As other have mentioned it may be more sensible to move the Galway from BFS to BHD, or to operate IOM flights with the Belfast aircraft rather than the IOM, for efficient aircraft utilisation. Maybe a timetable shake-up will happen now.

Think a Manx2 aircraft is also based at BFS. Operates out to the IOM at 08.30 and returns back again at 18.20, operating flights from the IOM during the day. For the sake of one IOM flight per day, four Galway's per week, and two ORK's (via Galway) from BFS, would it not be more sensible for Manx2 to consolidate their operations at one airport.

BFS101
31st Aug 2010, 11:12
Aer Lingus have some flights on sale now up to July 2011.

Heathrow 4 per day
Alicante ???
Barcelona 4 per week
Faro 5 per week
Lanzarote 3 per week
Malaga 7 per week
Rome ???
Tenerife ???

Not sure how this will pan out, as I'm sure more will go on sale in the near future. So far, it would appear that 3 aircraft are again needed for the summer base. Will be interesting if Alicante is retained for summer operation, and if Rome survives the recession. I would imagine Tenerife will return, but need to wait and see.

Aaron9890
31st Aug 2010, 12:28
Ryanair withdraws Belfast service - News & Advice, Travel - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-withdraws-belfast-service-2066627.html)

Apparently Michael O'learly said that it was because that the runway extension was delayed.
What do you all think

Good or bad news??

Personally i beileve that it is a bit of both because it offers new airlines to start form the airport and will give more variation.

The bad news is that Ryanair were offering Cheap flights from BHD.

Will Ryanair move to Belfast International and compete with Aer Lingus?

There certainly is a chance. Thank god it ends in October 31st because i am flying out with them on Friday and coming back on Monday

If anyone is online now and wants to see the story BBC Newsline is on in 5 mins and is having an interview with Michael O'Learly. It wil be on at 6:30 again if you miss it.

Regarding the Aer Lingus I think that all the routes will be kept because the seemed very popular this year

Jamie2k9
31st Aug 2010, 12:35
If Ryanair move to BFS it will be the end of Aer Lingus there and the LHR route will be lost.

BHDflyer
31st Aug 2010, 12:39
Just seen it. My predictions - easyjet move their stansted flights to the city airport to free up slots at Aldergrove so they can have direct flights to Europe. Just glad to see the end of O'Leary I hope Ryanair fold and he ends up in the gutter.

BFS101
31st Aug 2010, 12:45
I wouldn't be so sure that EI LHR would go. Many people fly to LHR because they have to, either interlining through the BA codeshare, or self connecting onto another flight.

If competition is upped on STN, LGW or wherever, yes EI may loose some O&D traffic, but demand will still be there for those that have little or no alternative that need to use LHR.

I'd say the chance of FR opening at BFS would be pretty slim. After the rocky relationship lately with EZY at BFS and LTN, i'd say that airport management wouldn't want to rock the boat anymore than is completely necessary. With EZY launching Malta, maybe the relationship is back on track, and Abertis would be wise not to further endanger this.

Jamie2k9
31st Aug 2010, 12:45
Is BFS relay that busy to need slots??? If EZY wanted to fly to more European routes they could without moving there STN route to Belfast City.

BFS101
31st Aug 2010, 12:50
Is BFS relay that busy to need slots??? If EZY wanted to fly to more European routes they could without moving there STN route to Belfast City. Completely true, plus remember there is still a market for BFS London. Easyjet split their London operation to tap into two Belfast markets, and to compete with FR at BHD. Moving STN to BHD to join LTN would just leave a gap at BFS for competition there.

Aaron9890
31st Aug 2010, 12:54
I think that flybe will add those routes to their destinations and furthur expand their destinations from BHD

obviously apart from stansted

mysecretsmile
31st Aug 2010, 13:02
I could maybe see Flybe taking over the London Stansted route, as for:

Liverpool - pulled of the route a few years back
Bristol - tried before and never lasted long
Glasgow Prestwick - already serving Glasgow International from BHD
East Midlands - they already serve Birmingham from BHD

Aaron9890
31st Aug 2010, 13:16
oh didn't really think about that ^^ yeah you are right..
though flybe don't do any flights to STN at the moment so its unlikely that they will add just one route from BHD.

There could be a new airline joining then..
what about ba cityflyer

INKJET
31st Aug 2010, 13:38
bmibaby set to increase flight to BFS to 3 daily

gate 22
31st Aug 2010, 14:18
though flybe don't do any flights to STN at the moment so its unlikely that they will add just one route from BHD.

Under Jersey European they operated BHD/STN not that long ago.

tigger2k8
31st Aug 2010, 15:07
While no one can say what will happen for definate as to the pick up of demand I honestly can't see any EZY routes moving as you can be rest assured that their booking for flights from BFS will take a jump this winter. The whole fall out between EZY and abertis is in the past, well, at least at the BFS side of things, I've said this before, but abertis needs EZY as EZY basically made the airport what it is... As for slots into BFS, don't think there's any shortage for them... Currently EZY is in expansion mode at BFS, not reducing... Could even see a few more rotations on some flights due to the loss of FR ar BHD.

FR had been in negotiations with BFS to jump across but they failed as they had wanted a subsidy of just over £100 per aircraft that landed, following this was a dig at management in a press release.... Both the airport and FR won't get along...

As for EI, their LHR is busy enough, boosted by the loss of LTN... There is something in planning by EI but, everyone is keeping a tight lid on it..

Let's wait and see what happens...

flying officer kite
31st Aug 2010, 15:32
the rumours about Ryanair closing up shop in BHD had been going around within the company for a few months. O'Leary gave it 3 years then threw the rattle out of the pram, as he always does. It seems to be getting mixed views from the various politicians.

People within Easyjet have been talking about moving some more London routes down to BHD, and i could see this happening. The other routes, like LPL and BRS whilst popular with FR, arent likely to get the same passenger figures with other airlines, this could be a reprieve for Flybe perhaps?

Regardless of who goes where, FR has shown that there is a massive market for STN, and airlines would be foolish to ignore that.

Personally im backing Manx2 lol, an airline that can fly under volcanic ash, and if you take off from BHD in the Let in Nov you might just make STN by springtime lol

mutleyshriek
1st Sep 2010, 02:15
BYE BYE RYANAIR.....how ironic.

Skipness One Echo
1st Sep 2010, 09:48
There could be a new airline joining then..
what about ba cityflyer

Given that BFS-LCY failed aquite recently filling a Do328 I doubt that filling an ERJ-170 would be realistic given the market is pretty price sensitive.

Jamie2k9
1st Sep 2010, 17:07
Alicante operating on Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday.

Tenerife operating on Wednesday and Sunday.

Rome ?????

Jamie2k9
2nd Sep 2010, 19:11
A/C 1
London Heathrow - MTWTFSS
Depart BFS 07:15 - Arrives LHR 08:45
Depart LHR 09:30 - Arrives BFS 10:45

Depart BFS 11:20 - Arrives LHR 12:35
Depart LHR 13:25 - Arrives BFS 14:45

Malaga - MTWTF-S
Depart BFS 15:30 - Arrives AGP 19:45
Depart AGP 20:25 - Arrives BFS 22:30

A/C 2
Alicante - T-T-S
Depart BFS 06:00 - Arrive ALC 09:55
Depart ALC 10:35 - Arrive BFS 12:35

Barcelona - M-W-F-S
Depart BFS 06:40 - Arrive BCN 10:10
Depart BCN 10:50 - Arrive BFS 12:35

Depart BFS 13:10 - Arrives LHR 14:25
Depart LHR 15:05 - Arrives BFS 16:35

Depart BFS 17:10 - Arrives LHR 18:35
Depart LHR 19:15 - Arrives BFS 20:30

A/C 3
Faro - M-WTF-S
Depart BFS 07:00 - Arrive FAO 10:00
Depart FAO 10:40 - Arrive BFS 13:40

Malaga - -----S-
Depart BFS 06:40 - Arrives AGP 10:55
Depart AGP 11:35 - Arrives BFS 13:40

Lanzarote - T-T-S
Depart BFS 14:30 - Arrive ACE 19:00
Depart ACE 19:45 - Arrive BFS 23:55

Tenerife South - --W---S
Depart BFS 14:30 - Arrive TFS 19:00
Depart TFS 19:45 - Arrive BFS 00:10

If Rome is returning it will be operated by A/C 3 on Monday afternoon, Friday afternoon, Saturday aftenoon or Tuesday morning. It will most lightly be operated twice a week. EI may launch a new route for the other two spaces.

ILS25
2nd Sep 2010, 20:32
A fighter did a performance fly past yesterday, I think it was a Tornado. Went right over the top of the control tower with afterburner lit. Scared the c**p out of me. He went around and did 2 more slow fly pasts over 25 but didn't land. Anyone know what he was doing over here ?

I thought maybe it was MOL sussing out if the runway was long enough for his planes.

dublindispatch
2nd Sep 2010, 22:15
No i here down here in Dublin he is going u reactivate Nutts Corner or Langford lodge!!!!

Kavs8
2nd Sep 2010, 23:00
Jesus Jamie2k9 you shore know how to talk! 231 posts since June 2010 ****! some ppl have been here since 2003 and have less then 100 :rolleyes:

tigger2k8
2nd Sep 2010, 23:12
Jamie2k9, it is possible there will be new routes from EI, as like i said before, they have something planned but a tight lid is on it, no one is spilling the beans :oh:...

ILS25, saw a tornado not yesterday but the day before from Bravo, didnt have the afterburners on though, a very gracious journey down the runway... also there was a A340 in on a troop flight, first A340 in a long time i think?

ILS25
2nd Sep 2010, 23:28
That A340 was back in today, saw it land and taxi towards military. It parked up at the DA2 beside Foxtrot. I was told that it was being loaded with equipment as the seats had been removed. I watched it take off on 07 and it was definately heavy as it nearly took the full length of the runway before it lifted.

aidoair
3rd Sep 2010, 14:14
bmibaby.com will add 5 extra weekly flight between EMA & Belfast.

I believe it will be; 3 x daily Mon - Fri (excluding Wed with 2x daily)??
1 x Sat and new 2 x daily on Sun

Flights to go on sale early next week.

ards_boy
4th Sep 2010, 00:40
Air Canada? BFS-YYZ? 2011? :eek:

JonnyBfs
4th Sep 2010, 09:43
Has there been any development in a Canada route by AC?
BFS-YYZ weekly would be good!

tigger2k8
4th Sep 2010, 10:22
Air Canada? BFS-YYZ? 2011? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

the airport and Air Canada had been talking, think i mentioned this a few months back, possibly in the old belfast thread, but never heard anything more of it, good news if true :}, where'd u hear?

dublindispatch
4th Sep 2010, 11:17
The AC season so short in DUB i would be surprised too see then operate from both DUB and BFS. Loads very good all the same

NWSRG
4th Sep 2010, 21:38
Apart from the Arrows, did BFS see anything interesting today for the Portrush show? I know the solo Hawk was in, what about the Typhoon?

speedbirdATC
4th Sep 2010, 21:49
The Typhoon was probably in at some stage. We had the Typhoon up around LDY yesterday, and this afternoon again.

tigger2k8
5th Sep 2010, 08:41
The solo hawk (british flag paint work), a eurofighter typhoon and atleast 1 other jet is there at aldergrove at the min, no sign of the rest of the red arrows, could be tucked away in the hanger...

eastern wiseguy
5th Sep 2010, 10:43
Arrows left for Liverpool immediately after the airshow.

True Blue
5th Sep 2010, 15:15
I have to say that if the reports on the Easy and Bhd threads are true re Easy basing down at Bhd to operate some routes there, then Bfs should be trying to get Jet2 or WW to expand. Maybe they should even get an agreement with Fr. The romours in the past were that Bfs had to watch what they were doing to keep Ezy happy. If Ezy now believe that they can start a strong courtship with Bhd and expect Bfs to just watch but say nothing, I think Bfs should show them otherwise. One advantage that Bfs has, Ezy could not move their full operation down to Bhd even if they wanted to, not enough room plus probably a lot of noise from local residents. Ezy trying to be smart, in my opinion, might end with the result they never wanted, Fr at an airport with no operating limits, but Ezy at one with limits.

True Blue

mutleyshriek
5th Sep 2010, 18:47
At present it looks like increased frequency at BFS.Might be a chance of of a few w patterns into BHD for the short term,however no based aircraft.Talk of LTN reverting back to BFS also.....

EI-BUD
5th Sep 2010, 18:54
If Ezy now believe that they can start a strong courtship with Bhd and expect Bfs to just watch but say nothing, I think Bfs should show them otherwise. One advantage that Bfs has, Ezy could not move their full operation down to Bhd even if they wanted to, not enough room plus probably a lot of noise from local residents. Ezy trying to be smart, in my opinion, might end with the result they never wanted, Fr at an airport with no operating limits, but Ezy at one with limits.

True Blue

I have to say this is an interesting post. In the last 6 months I have been feeling that BHD is slowly becoming the airport of choice given the gap has significantly closed between BHD and BFS in terms of overall share of passengers flying into Belfast.

However, when you strip FR out of the equation I am not sure anymore that BHD would be gaining such ground. Easyjet should stick firm. I guess Ryanair got great deal on new routes that were not already served, this was an investment by BHD management to reverse passenger number declines plus also to create perception that BHD is where everybody wants to fly to. However, I think that Ryanair were not making money in the market as the sheer volume of £5 seats and the sheer amount of empty seats (yes there will be a dive in here saying that the yield and load factor are different things, all that accepted.)

Easyjet were correct to move LTN to BHD as Ryanair would not then go onto this route as it is likely they would get no deal given that Easyjet had it 1st.

The best strategy for Easyjet is to stay at BFS and keep Ryanair out (given overall relationship with TBI BFS and LTN), and stick with current plan and in the mean time hope that Flybe make a committment to BHD with a bunch of 175s that Europe is going to be well served and maybe that may removed the need for runway extention, in my view now this is the best possible future strategy. One thing is likely that if Ryanair get a runway extention they would drive Aer Lingus off European routes, Easyjet off many or to big reduction and in the long run take over the whole show.

It is also now my view that Flybe with some 175s could develop a nice little bunch of new markets that would be viable at reasonable frequencies on a realistic size aircraft.

EI-BUD

True Blue
5th Sep 2010, 19:04
I am of the opinion that if Fr had been profitable on the routes at Bhd, they would still be there. I only used Fr once to Stn, day return, and a huge number of the pax were like me, on a £3 day trip. I have also looked at other flights at short notice, £6. My suspicion, not making money and blame it on the runway extension to get out.

True Blue

tigger2k8
5th Sep 2010, 19:06
Heard nothing about any aircraft moving / or being based down the road to BHD.. however i have heard that EZY and Abertis have now got their relationship back on track to a good understanding... Have heard that they will be expanding at LTN soon, which could mean BFS gets its LTN route back, as mutleyshriek has mentioned

The fact that LTN has remained in the BFS drop down menu, for 8 months past its last flight is fishy enough... also still on the route map.. i have also heard that EZY is not happy with the performance of Servisair so far

another kick in the teeth for Servisair and the WW contract (which is on/has been on an improvement notice) today, aircraft arrives on stand, requires GPU on arrival, takes servisair almost 7 minutes to locate a GPU :oh:..

all we can do is sit and wait, has been a year of surprises... however im putting my money on a similar annoucement to what WW made on its EMA... added frequencies

mutleyshriek
5th Sep 2010, 19:32
I have to agree lads,multi flights to both airfields would just confuse the flying public.I think the outcome will be increased flights into BFS, as was before Ryanair came on the scene.As we all know Ryanair,s entry into the market was a very quick knee jerk reaction to Aer Lingus coming up north and I think promises were made in haste.It was the exact same when BMI were promised a late arrival when they switched airfields.It also never came to fruition.I worked at BMI at the time and BHD were bending over backwards to try to secure late flights.It never happened,as they tried to dismiss local residents fears.Many people have short memories including Brian Ambrose,who stated at the time"We will never seek an extension to the runway".Then comes along O,leary and Ambrose bends again.This man has no regard for anyone,except the bank whom he is now working for........

clareview
6th Sep 2010, 19:29
Not only is noise an issue at BHD but the opening hours are 6.30am to 21.30 pm and this would be very restrictive to Easyjet which has many late night arrivals at BFS

ILS25
6th Sep 2010, 19:55
Two Eurofighter Typhoons left BFS this morning at around 9.30. They both did performance take offs from runway 07. Amazing sight, and sound.

ESCNI
6th Sep 2010, 20:11
Good job it wasn't from BHD.

:eek:

tigger2k8
6th Sep 2010, 20:21
The timing restrictions at BHD is one of the main reasons why EZY will probably never have a base at BHD, All base aircraft arrive back during the summer between 2115 and 2235, with summer peak flights arriving back near 0130... if EZY did base aircraft at BHD (or ultimately move as some people think :oh:) they will lose a rotation during the day to get aircraft back an hour earlier, and even then it could be pushing it, even during winter most aircraft arrive back after 2130, and with weather delays such as snow and the added time for de-icing, there would be many nights flights would be cancelled or diverted and aircraft not being in position for the morning

yes the eurofighters were impressive today, didnt take them long to get off the ground, unfortunately i was past bravo towards the 25 end.. i agree amazing sight and the sound... where can i get it as a ringtone :}

gate 22
6th Sep 2010, 21:55
Do EZY operated W patterns with BFS based aircraft? I did a check on the 18th of Feb and the AMS and CDG flights are on the ground at these airports (or running another operation) for 4 hrs. I didn't check any other flights out of BFS.

True Blue
6th Sep 2010, 22:02
I believe that the Bfs to Ams then operates Ams -Man return before coming back to Bfs.

TrueBlue

Aaron9890
6th Sep 2010, 22:07
I think that Ryanair will try routes from BFS but will not try until they et their new aircraft in that they ordered and try to persuade BFS to give them easy landing fees

Aaron9890
6th Sep 2010, 22:11
Flybe add three new routes

1. Liverpool
2. East Midlands
3. Bristol

all begin 31st of October
This probably means that Easyjet will move Stansted route to BHD and Glasgow Prestwick will be ditched completely for BHD

Flybe.com | News Archives | September 2010 (http://www.flybe.com/news/1009/06.htm)

True Blue
6th Sep 2010, 22:14
31st august?

tb

True Blue
6th Sep 2010, 22:16
I see that Newquay has gone from Jet2, not returning next summer.

tb

Aaron9890
6th Sep 2010, 22:18
sorry lol meant October

clareview
6th Sep 2010, 22:34
Newquay is at best a marginal route and it is no surprise it has gone - I think I recall Jet 2 doing the same with Bournemouth a few years ago - giving it a good try to see if it can grow. I notice Jet 2 announcing new routes from various places in the North of England and, without new aircraft joining the fleet the capacity has to come from somewhere.

EISNN
6th Sep 2010, 23:01
I think that Ryanair will try routes from BFS but will not try until they et their new aircraft in that they ordered and try to persuade BFS to give them easy landing fees

Do FR not have new/less new/not so new a/craft sitting around anyway probably more to come??? I'm asking a question not being a smart ass so please do not take offence. Please.

ara01jbb
7th Sep 2010, 09:22
Via Travelmole (http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1144045.php?mpnlog=1)... assuming you don't mind the uncertainty of going to Aldergrove and waiting at the ticket desk for the next available flight. I hope this isn't the sum total of Easyjet's reaction to FR's departure...

EasyJet offers special Belfast fares for stranded Ryanair passengers
07 September, 2010

EasyJet is offering a special fare to customers stranded after Ryanair’s decision to suspend operations from Belfast City Airport.

It is offering passengers a rescue fee of £10 each way to travel on the routes where its flights overlapped with those of Ryanair.

But to claim the £10 rescue package, passengers need to turn up at the airport and enquire at the easyJet airport sales desk on the day of departure, and will be accommodated on the next available flight, subject to availability.

The offer is for Ryanair passengers due to travel on these routes between 31 October and 30 November (inclusive), subject to availability on the day of departure.

EDIT... the full article states you need to present a booking confirmation AND your boarding pass. You know, the Ryanair boarding pass that's only available online fifteen days before departure, for a flight that was cancelled at least 30 days before you were scheduled to depart :D

tigger2k8
7th Sep 2010, 12:24
As far as im aware this is all that EZY is doing (confirmed winter schedule is out).. they wouldn't offer a rescue flight to/from BFS and then annouce direct flights from BHD.. This was by far the biggest opportunity for EZY to move flights to BHD and they havn't done so... id love to see the source for those who said EZY was starting BRS and LPL....:oh:.. need i say more?

Its actually a good idea, £10 for a flight... lure potential new customers in with a cheap offer... id say unless BE offers the same, an awful lot of people will take the opportunity to take the £10 option

Do EZY operated W patterns with BFS based aircraft? I did a check on the 18th of Feb and the AMS and CDG flights are on the ground at these airports (or running another operation) for 4 hrs. I didn't check any other flights out of BFS.

yes, sometimes they do patterns like BFS-AGP-BRS-BFS-LPL-LGW-BFS

Aaron9890
12th Sep 2010, 17:35
VIK874 Verona 21:30
LS 2021 Milan 21:50

Viking airlines dont fly to Verona From BFS and Jet2.om dont fly to Milan from BFS???? anyone know why

Aaron9890
12th Sep 2010, 17:45
VIK874 Verona 21:30
LS 2021 Milan 21:50

Viking airlines dont fly to Verona From BFS and Jet2.om dont fly to Milan from BFS???? anyone know why

Jamie2k9
12th Sep 2010, 21:14
I think Topflight operate holidays to Verona.

BFS101
12th Sep 2010, 21:55
Viking flight is a one off charter for Newmarket Holidays, offering trips around the Italian lakes and Venetian Riviera. Newmarket Holidays offer many one off's through the year with flights from BFS. Looking into next year, most seem planned to operate with Viking.

The Jet2 flight is the weekly charter by The Travel Department, operating up to the 17 Oct 10. Again for holidays and tours around Lake Como, Lake Garda and Venice / Verona. Although listed as Milan, in actual fact the flight operates into Milan Bergamo, rather than Malpensa or Linate.

The Topflight Verona flights operated into BHD this summer, using Air Dolomiti on a Saturday morning.

Aaron9890
13th Sep 2010, 20:27
Manx2 is stopping all Operations From BFS

Galaway (ends 29th October)
Isle of Man ( ends 30th October)

gate 22
14th Sep 2010, 17:28
No real good news coming out of BFS these days even despite 800,000 pax up for grabs after FR leaving Belfast and the only gain is an extra return to EMA. Is this down to poor management? BHD have done well to secure most of the routes and more in the last couple of weeks!!!
EI now have 43% of LHR traffic which aint bad.

ILS25
14th Sep 2010, 17:35
To be honest, I would say its down to NO management. John D is probably too busy counting all the pound coins from the drop off zone and probably thinks its just a car park he is running now.

When is Brian A starting at BFS ? ;)

BFS101
17th Sep 2010, 22:14
Continental down to X4 week for the winter???

Jamie2k9
18th Sep 2010, 20:00
According to Continental website the BFS - EWR has been reduced to 4 weekly flights for winter.

Flights will operate on Saturday, Sunday, Monday & Thursday.

Aaron9890
18th Sep 2010, 21:18
I think that they mad a good choice by doing this because you dont need a flight from BFS to EWR every day. Four a week would be just right. Does continental Airlines do daily flights from all the other U.K airports or do some do X4 weekly. I see the Bristol one is being stopped. Hope that dosen't end up happing to BFS

gate 22
18th Sep 2010, 21:30
Continental down to X4 week for the winter???

I thought it was normal for them to drop down from daily each winter, is that not the case?

Jamie2k9
18th Sep 2010, 21:37
Does continental Airlines do daily flights from all the other U.K airports or do some do X4 weekly

Continental have daily from all UK airports except with more than daily from MAN and LHR. Flights are back to daily for summer 2011 from BFS.

tigger2k8
18th Sep 2010, 21:37
It does drop frequency, however I think last year it went down to 6x a week, with no flight on tuesday, I could be wrong, but yes there is a reduction each winter. Aaron, you would be surprised at the popularity of the flight, I think it showed slight growth last year

clareview
18th Sep 2010, 23:04
Was 5 a week last winter

tigger2k8
20th Sep 2010, 17:21
its mainly x5 per week until the week commencing 9th Jan 2011, drops to x4 per week from 9th Jan - 5th Mar, then from the 6th Mar its back to daily..

dublinaviator
20th Sep 2010, 18:22
I think that they mad a good choice by doing this because you dont need a flight from BFS to EWR every day. Four a week would be just right. Does continental Airlines do daily flights from all the other U.K airports or do some do X4 weekly. I see the Bristol one is being stopped. Hope that dosen't end up happing to BFS

And for what its worth, it'll be daily from Dublin and Shannon. I can't see them scrapping the BFS route altogether, but I could see loads being effected from the new T2 CBP facilities in Dublin, made even more conveniant by the short journey time between Belfast and Dublin.

BFS101
20th Sep 2010, 18:42
Belfast International lands Best UK Airport accolade.

News - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news/3/217/belfast-international-lands-best-uk-airport-accolade.html)

Belfast International Airport has been named Gold winner in the Best UK Airport category of the Holiday Extras Customers' Awards 2010.

Other winners included Belfast International Airport customer airlines Aer Lingus, easyJet, Jet2.com and Continental Airlines.

ILS25
20th Sep 2010, 19:20
Charlie taxiway closed from today for 4-6 weeks due to drainage installation work on the main apron. Traffic landing on 25 has to either do a 180 at the end and taxi back down the runway to exit at bravo or if busy it's right on delta, then right on 17 and hold for any landing/departing traffic, and when clear, left at the runway intersection, down 07 to exit at bravo. Bravo is not available for landing traffic as they are trying to preserve the runway surface and they don't want any heavy braking.

Absolute nightmare.

I really do feel for you guys and girls in ATC when they do this sort of thing.

Aaron9890
20th Sep 2010, 20:27
was just about to post that BFS101
great news for belfast :)

tigger2k8
20th Sep 2010, 22:47
Charlie taxiway closed from today for 4-6 weeks due to drainage installation work on the main apron. Traffic landing on 25 has to either do a 180 at the end and taxi back down the runway to exit at bravo or if busy it's right on delta, then right on 17 and hold for any landing/departing traffic, and when clear, left at the runway intersection, down 07 to exit at bravo. Bravo is not available for landing traffic as they are trying to preserve the runway surface and they don't want any heavy braking.

Absolute nightmare.

I really do feel for you guys and girls in ATC when they do this sort of thing. just to add...as far as im aware stands 24/25 will be closed during this.. although theres that many new yellow lines over there im confused myself.. will find out soon enough, stand 22 was temporarily closed to fix subsidence (parking an A320 on that surface, which is nearly like cobblestones overnight lol was never a good idea.. nevermind the 757 which sits on it for a couple of hours a day)... anyone who will be near stand 24/25 take a look at all the fancy paintwork... will lead to total confusion... stands 26/27 will be moved forward by around 6-10M closer to the terminal during the work, which means the roadway infront of the stands wont be in operation (unless you want to take a couple of noses off)

to anyone travelling during peak times, enjoy your stay on the taxiway...

while im sure its a pain for ATC, they handled it extremely well during the last time this happened :D

25/07 must be in even worse shape now, have not been down it in 2 years.. but the last time they done this they allowed exits via Bravo even if landing 25..

while its not very convenient, anyone who drives airside at BFS will know that driving over the old drains is like driving over extremely bad potholes.. the sooner its done the better

BFS101
21st Sep 2010, 09:54
Easyjet adding capacity to Liverpool.

EasyJet has also confirmed today that, due to growing passenger demand, it will provide an additional rotation each week day on its domestic route from Liverpool to Belfast with fares starting from £23.99 one-way, including taxes.

UK commercial manager Ali Gayward said: “The additional flights on the Liverpool to Belfast route will also help those people who have been affected by Ryanair’s recent decision to pull out of Belfast airport.”

Source - Travelmole.com

Appears to be generally 6 flights per day, 7 on Friday / Monday's, reduced flights at the weekend.

ESCNI
21st Sep 2010, 10:55
Starting when?

tigger2k8
21st Sep 2010, 10:59
if theres growing demand for LPL then surely STN should be the next to see an increase.. unless the LTN flight from BHD and the STN already at BFS is being used by those who where travelling with FR

second source - Liverpool Echo - News - Liverpool Local News - easyJet links Liverpool with French ski resort of Grenoble (http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2010/09/21/easyjet-links-liverpool-with-french-ski-resort-of-grenoble-100252-27310584/)

halfway through the article

edit - ESCNI, as for a start date i would assume it will be the last week in OCT as the winter schedule usually starts on the last Sunday of the month

victoria73
21st Sep 2010, 11:10
Thats good news for EZY at BFS now maybe the next route to be increased will be STN i also think now that the little tantrom between EZY and abertis is nearly sorted they will take the bold step and move the LTN back to BFS as well

gate 22
21st Sep 2010, 11:23
I suppose the 800,000 passengers generated by FR a large % probably flew for £3.00. So why should BE and EZY increase capacity, they are not bound by duty or charity to carry the 'FR factor passengers'. Is there a need from a business point of view for Ezy to have 6 a day to STN and 4 per day to LTN as a result of FR vacating. I would say that what EZY need is an early morning out to LTN which would sort out north London. The question is that means a based aircraft for BHD or could they re-adjust there BFS operation.
Would they be in tied contract at BHD 'you must always operate LTN out of Belfast from BHD for the next 10 years'? Like what a poster has suggested about BD LHR operation from Belfast.

BFS101
21st Sep 2010, 11:26
Even with the EZY BFS relationship potentially back on track (addition of Malta and extra Liverpool), I could still see EZY keeping the LTN at the City. Keeps an Easy finger in the City pie, for any future developments, and the flight is clearly doing well adding a daily rotation for the winter.

Keeps EZY in the market for those NI passengers that wish to use the airline, but feel that BFS is just way to far out of the way.

GnRdL
21st Sep 2010, 15:15
Hi users,

Does anybody can say me when Jet2 opened a base in BFS? [Month+Year] if it's possible. And what's the currently fleet in BFS base?

Thx!

Jamie2k9
21st Sep 2010, 16:50
I think it's 2 by B733

GnRdL
21st Sep 2010, 16:53
Thanks Jamie. Do you know anything about when BFS base started?

ara01jbb
21st Sep 2010, 18:31
Thanks Jamie. Do you know anything about when BFS base started?

First flights November 2003, with BFS-LBA and April 2004, BFS-PRG. (BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | NI flights to Prague launched (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3466621.stm)) ... although I've no idea when the "base" was established.

GnRdL
21st Sep 2010, 18:43
Thanks ara01jbb. I think it was at same time (+/-) than MAN base (December 2004), but BFS started like a secondary base. It's my conclusion.

victoria73
22nd Sep 2010, 11:01
think i will still keep to the idea of EZY keeping there operation at BFS and moving there LTN operation back to BFS but only time will tell

tigger2k8
22nd Sep 2010, 12:36
some more details + times on the extra LPL..

EasyJet expands Liverpool service - Business News, Business - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/business-news/easyjet-expands-liverpool-service-14955313.html)

Budget airline easyJet announced extra flights from Belfast International Airport to Liverpool from December 3. A new flight, Monday and Friday, will leave Belfast at 3.30pm. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, an extra flight will leave Belfast at 10.40am. Ali Gayward, easyJet's UK commercial manager, said: "The additional flights will certainly help people who have been affected by Ryanair's recent decision to pull out of George Best Belfast City Airport."

Read more: EasyJet expands Liverpool service - Business News, Business - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/business-news/easyjet-expands-liverpool-service-14955313.html#ixzz10GGOFqq7)

brunch101
23rd Sep 2010, 15:22
Hi guys, need your thoughts on the 'drop-off fee' debate.

I just read the official report from last nights debate in Scottish Parliament about proposed introduction of drop-off fee at Edinburgh Airport.

If it goes ahead, it is likely BAA will roll out the changes to their other 5 UK Airports: Heathrow, Stansted, Southampton, Glasgow and Aberdeen.

Does this seem likely...It happened at Luton and Belfast International and they are both owned by the same company.

Jamie2k9
23rd Sep 2010, 15:32
Both owned by same company

BFS101
23rd Sep 2010, 22:22
Aer Lingus has seats on sale from BFS up until about August next year. All destinations currently served are bookable with the exception of Rome. Is Rome to be pulled??, does anyone know how it performed this summer?? Strange that it's the only destination not to be put on sale, as it's already available from Dublin and Cork for summer 11.

As the timetable stands at the minute, there are four free 'slots', Monday afternoon, Tuesday morning, Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon. Otherwise full ultilisation of the three based units. Should we be expecting a new destination or two, or will these gaps be filled with extra rotations to the current destinations that perform well during early booking, where the demand exists??

clareview
23rd Sep 2010, 22:29
If they have the slots, I wonder about an additional LHR service on some days - Friday?

Jamie2k9
23rd Sep 2010, 22:37
EI - BFS - ROME

June 2009 - 3,497
July 2009 - 5,257
August 2009 - 5,395

June 2010 - 2,111
July 2010 - 2,822
August 2010 - 2,798

The route is most lightly to be axed. Every other EI route is on sale except some EI regional routes to the UK.

TSR2
23rd Sep 2010, 23:07
The numbers do not mean an awful lot without number of rotations. Half the passengers in 2010 compared to 2009 may be the result of half the number of flights.

Jamie2k9
23rd Sep 2010, 23:13
Yes but why put ORK and DUB flights to Rome on sale a few weeks ago and not BFS?

anna_list
24th Sep 2010, 06:58
Here are the CAA figures, the number of rotations and the flown load factors. Of course, these figures are meaningless without yield data.

2009 - 4 flights per week
Jun 2009 - 3497 / 34 = 59%
Jul 2009 - 5267 / 36 = 84%
Aug 2009 - 5395 / 36 = 86%

2010 - 2 flights per week
Jun 2010 - 2111 / 16 = 76%
Jul 2010 - 2822 / 18 = 90%
Aug 2010 - 2798 / 18 = 89%

BFS101
24th Sep 2010, 09:31
So do we reckon it's for the chop then?? Such a shame if it is, with no Naples link, and potentially now no Rome link! Looks like the masses are still content with the Costa's, rather than southern Italy...

Jet2 seem to be able to hold their own on what could be considered niche routes from BFS, Pisa, Toulouse. Smaller aircraft, lower overheads, shorter flying season? Could Jet2 make Rome a success, where Easyjet and possibly Aer Lingus have failed, or is Rome just unworkable from Northern Ireland?

I wonder about an additional LHR service on some days - Friday? The free 'slots' appear to support a sector length of about three hours, more for the afternoon vacancies if required, as could operate back to BFS in the wee hours.

tigger2k8
24th Sep 2010, 14:17
FCO did surprisingly well this year, although less flights per week probably helped with that.. for the next month (i think) BFS-FCO operates in the morning... as far as im concerned the winter schedule is confirmed so its lost for winter... any hope for the FCO, will be summer 2011.. they may keep it or risk a new route

rumor has it we may see a couple more rotations added by EZY, not just the recently announced LPL

BFS101
24th Sep 2010, 15:27
any hope for the FCO, will be summer 2011.. they may keep it or risk a new route
Even if EI do keep Rome, doubt it would be X4 week. With an afternoon slot Monday and a Tuesday morning free, wouldn't imagine that these would be to the same destination if operating only twice, three times a week.

rumor has it we may see a couple more rotations added by EZYSTN, BRS, possibly GLA??

tigger2k8
24th Sep 2010, 15:48
well as i said a month or 2 ago EI has something in planning, but no one is giving out details, so this could be a new route or 2..

as for the extra rotations.. BRS is bookable 3x daily on Mon,Thur,Fri.. where as at the minute BRS is mainly 2x daily..seems its been increased, STN would be the next one hopefully

EZY195/196 - diverted to BFS tonight, hmm thats atleast 3 coaches to transport people to and from BFS if they provide it.. which i think they have to :eek:

Stewart28
25th Sep 2010, 11:44
Was wondering is the viewing gallery still closed

tigger2k8
25th Sep 2010, 13:14
Was wondering is the viewing gallery still closed

yes, its currently airside but only accessible if your are staff

BFS101
25th Sep 2010, 15:11
What is the long term plan for the viewing gallery area. Do you envisage that it will every be a landside viewing gallery again??

tigger2k8
25th Sep 2010, 15:36
the way it is setup at the minute would suggest its not going to be landside again, currently the only door to access the gallery is airside and this is newly built, with the door soon to have a pass swipe installed (currently not accessible due to a couple of doors that need passes to open..) due to security regulations i cant see a pass swipe door accessing a landside area for obvious reasons.. if the viewing gallery is opened again i would say access will come from the door near the business lounge..

we will have to wait and see as the full details of whats involved in the terminal reconfig. isnt available, after the old duty free is transformed (supposed to be starbucks moving in) i dont have a clue whats next.. but they did say room for 20 retail units i think.. although it doesnt mention if thats 20 shops or say 8 businesses using 20 units

Aaron9890
25th Sep 2010, 16:15
IFA0425Timimoun

03:45
IFA0425Timimoun03:45IFA0425Timimoun03:45

IFA0425Timimoun03:45Strange Flight ... anyone know what it is?

IFA0425 - Timimoun - 03:45

gate 22
25th Sep 2010, 20:37
IFA0425Timimoun

It was on the arrivals board last night for early this morning

BELHold
25th Sep 2010, 20:41
IFA0425Timimoun

There has been an AN-12 knocking about this week, wonder if thats it:confused:

Torque2
25th Sep 2010, 21:29
ICAO IFA = company FAI which provides exec jet and ambulance flights. Timimoun = Algeria. Posible ambulance flight? Who knows.