PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - BFS (Aldergrove)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

gate 22
10th Feb 2010, 07:03
Well the Belfast airports have now been split, probably about time.
Its been a bad year for most main UK airports with a large downturn in business. BFS has not escaped the cull.

Main areas of interest/concern
1. EZY's LTN service now at BHD, alot of rumours floating around there IMO its gone what will follow?
2. The runway extension and passenger cap at BHD are top of the 'concern list'. Passenger cap would - I think be top of the list.

On the plus side
1. BFS has invested heavily in the terminal-haven't been through since last summer so cannot comment. Will it attract new operators?
2. Coming slowly out of recession I wonder if any new routes/operators will be announced soon surely canada must be around the corner.

I have thought that RE should look into a BFS/CWL service with 2 daily flights they could make a run at it. WW at there peak carried quite alot of passengers (aircraft was too large for the route at the end of the day)

A good rumour posted at BHD this morning can sometimes lift spirits

Btw BMI in advance talks with BFS concerning Heathrow route,and that has come from a BMI management friend,not a man in a park with a dog..................

By Mutleyshriek

This rumour has come and gone what do you think?

Bang Or West
10th Feb 2010, 08:43
There's an even better story than that doing the rounds - apparently R/W 17/35 is due for re-surfacing next year and front-runner at the moment is to "do a Glasgow" and have it re-designated as a taxiway and just leave 25/07 as "the runway".

On the plus side the plan involves moving the 17 ILS round to serve 07, emminently sensible methinks.

gate 22
10th Feb 2010, 09:04
There's an even better story than that doing the rounds - apparently R/W 17/35 is due for re-surfacing next year and front-runner at the moment is to "do a Glasgow" and have it re-designated as a taxiway and just leave 25/07 as "the runway".

Is it not better having a cross runway? The reason I ask is that 17/35 seem to be used 'quite' often. Also is it not handy during maintanence of the main runway/or if there is an incident?

Groundloop
10th Feb 2010, 09:08
Is it not better having a cross runway?

Very few airports have "cross runways" - lots of major airports are single runway. They seem to manage. Are the costs of maintaining two runways worth the very very few times the second may be required?

gate 22
10th Feb 2010, 09:11
Families looking for some fun this summer can consider Florida as an option, as Thomas Cook Airlines has now introduced more direct flights from Belfast International Airport every Saturday, Sunday and Monday from 26th June to 12th July 2010.

From BFS website yesterday

I think this has been mentioned before on here, is there a summer long programme outside the above period. I think someone mentioned that there was not. However the article does say these are additional. I know some folk who are heading to Florida from BFS next June on CO via Newark £660 rtn

ALLMCC
10th Feb 2010, 09:38
Can just see Mr Mueller being over the moon about BMI coming back to BFS!

gate 22
10th Feb 2010, 10:10
BMI coming back to BFS!

Just cannot see that happen especially with EI on LHR.

tigger2k8
10th Feb 2010, 10:36
its a possibility of BMI returning to BFS, purely with transfers (isn't BMI in one world or star alliance? or something like that)... during the summer its a good idea, but EI has the demand covered during winter so it could be hurtful to both EI and BMI if it was all year round

On the plus side the plan involves moving the 17 ILS round to serve 07, emminently sensible methinks.

havn't heard that myself, every so often (about a week every month during winter) theres adverse weather at BFS and 17/35 has been the safest option for landing... have seen many go arounds from 25/07 being used even on the a319s followed by a successful landing on 17/35... in saying they could chop the bottom end off 17 to the cross over point and extend the apron straight across in the direction of 07... :8

who knows what they are planning, should be interesting though :E

globetrotter79
10th Feb 2010, 11:31
if bmi still has spare LHR slots this summer then putting up a couple of flights per day on the route BFS-LHR is maybe their best bet?

They're known in Belfast but perhaps feel they can target a slightly different market with BFS rather than BHD. Plus, if they do still have LHR slots spare, this is perhaps a better bet than throwing additional frequency onto LHR-MAN, LHR-GLA or LHR-EDI..

BFS101
10th Feb 2010, 13:31
Bmi did operate from both Belfast airports for a short period, and believe that the loads on the BFS flights at that time were horrendous.

Two different Belfast airports with two different airlines operating tp LHR has the market covered pretty well I'd say.

mutleyshriek
10th Feb 2010, 13:40
Never,the loads only became horrendous when the route was culled to 3 F100 rotations per day.Business was always well used especially as lots of companies had paid for annual car park fees at BFS and were not moving.At the time Gallaher Limited had 24 spaces at BFS reserved as had Nortel.When BMI finally departed Gallaher went to GO-FLY.As did the long freight contract with the eel farm...

dontdoit
10th Feb 2010, 13:47
Not helped by bmi not knowing where they are in the arse/elbow department at the moment, ditching Business Class, not knowing if they are a full fare/lo cost/no frills/full service/no service/buy on board/free drinks airline...this is not the British Midland of 10 years ago. BA will be back at BFS before you see a bmi-Lufthansa aircraft in there again (assuming of course that Aer Lingus is on its last legs which looks increasingly likely).

BFS101
10th Feb 2010, 13:54
Would these business contracts not now be swallowed up by EI for the businesses that have a preference of BFS over BHD. EI are now pretty established on BFS - LHR and upping flights to X4 day.

Coming back from Hong Kong in 2002, arrived into LHR earlier than thought and bmi changed our flight into BFS rather than BHD to save us hanging about. Can remember in that instance, only about 15 people on the flight on an A320. Can remember asking the crew on the flight, re the light load, and they basically said this is the norm... Obviously if you worked for BD, you'll be much better versed on the situation.

mutleyshriek
10th Feb 2010, 13:59
Very well said lad,Lingus I think will be there for the duration though.BMI dont know what they are doing.I think they are knee jerking as they always did.They always seemed to be going from one downturn to the next.I remember having a business briefing with an advertising agency whilst at BMI and we all pissed ourselves laughing at the slogans they were trying to come up with.It was embarrasing but highly amusing,enough said.................

ards_boy
10th Feb 2010, 14:02
Think that there is more chance of BA going bust than Aer Lingus atm.....
Thank goodness for a couple of 'decent' rumors on this thread for once (17/35 extension + BMI moving).....was begining to lose all hope for Belfast/Pprune thread over the last while........:}

dontdoit
10th Feb 2010, 14:17
Ardsboy- thanks for that incisive business lesson; I think if you re-read the beginning of the thread, rather than suggesting a runway extension, it is being suggested that the cross-runway is possibly going to be closed :ugh:

mutleyshriek
10th Feb 2010, 14:51
Guys,just a thought.The argument of having two airports in such a small city(or province)will undoubtably run and run and run.Airlines for years have used the situation in Belfast to their better end.They are there to make a profit and when it suits they hold airport operators to ransom and switch from one to another.In the late 80s and early 90s,we had Ba Midland Manx Loganair Jersey.Manx and Loganair were owned by Midland but operated under the BA FRANCHISE.So they were all lining each others pockets.The only real independant was Jersey European.Fares were high and we were held to ransom by these so called independant operators.Nowadays its a very different tale.The eco warriors and climate change scientists are all dancing to the tune of our wonderful government with their message that we are all responsible for the greenhouse effect with our cheap holidays and weekends away.What effect will this have on operations at the city airport,or indeed any airport within a certain radius of their said city centre.TAXES.more and more will come,mark my words...

ILS25
10th Feb 2010, 16:22
Runway 07/25 is due for resurfacing NOT 17/35. 100% positive on that.

New threshold and runway end AGL has just been installed on runway 17 (last month), new 5 bar approach lighting for 17 is almost completed. The edge lights on 17/35 will also be replaced in the near future, quite a bit of investment there so I cannot see 17/35 being closed in the near future.

speedbirdATC
10th Feb 2010, 17:10
Just out of interest why is there no ILS approach to RWY 07? Surely it would make more sense to move the 17 ILS over to 07. Im guessing the larger aircraft who cannot accept 17/35 for arrival would prefer it to a VOR/DME, especially in bad weather conditions. . Is there a cost issue? I don't think it's a terrain issue either. Also what are the ILS categories at BFS?

SpeedbirdATC

NWSRG
10th Feb 2010, 17:32
25 is Cat 3, 17 is Cat 1.

speedbirdATC
10th Feb 2010, 17:37
Thanks NWSRG, but why no ILS 07? Surely the main runway at an airfield the size of aldergrove, and the size of aircraft it caters for should have an ILS at both ends of its main runway. I believe BHD has an ILS at both ends (04 maybe LOC only approach, correct me if I'm wrong), and now LDY has had an ILS installed on 08 (currently not available to pilots yet, as it is being calibrated)

midnight retired
10th Feb 2010, 17:38
Many years ago it it had something to do with the proximity of the large green hangar situated close to RWY 07 threshold that would have affected the ILS glideslope and localiser beams , hence the offset 07 VOR/DME approach.

speedbirdATC
10th Feb 2010, 17:41
So is it impossible for BFS to install an offset ILS?

midnight retired
10th Feb 2010, 19:44
Good question, perhaps the technical wizards could throw some light on the offset ILS requirements ,or maybe demolish the hangar ?
It is over 3 years since I last flew into BFS and maybe things have changed. However if you were up to the challenge on a bad night, flying the offset to minima could be very rewarding .

ards_boy
10th Feb 2010, 20:00
Your welcome dontdoit :ok: Just doesn't seem like EI are on their last legs from here, but if they do go bust anytime soon, I promise I will humbly accept defeat!
I apoligise for my lack of clarity on the matter, perhaps my mind just typed what I would like to have read! (an extension of 17/35) :}.

tigger2k8
10th Feb 2010, 22:52
ah, if it is 25/07 due for resurfacing then that explains why nothing landing larger than a 737 can land via 25 and exit onto Bravo, must be getting worn down :} as pilots were determined to get out using Bravo (when loads were light) if they could stop instead of traveling the whole way down 25 to come back up to stand 12 :}... if i remember correctly EI engineers were not too happy about it and requested for them not to try and make bravo, must have been wearing brakes down

as for the ILS on 07, i think its only the woodgate hanger left down that way (could be wrong?) unless its woodgate in way of an ILS system?... theres been a lot of money spent in the last few years on the apron... most of which is unknown by the general public :} they changed all the stands and introduced a road system, about... 3 years ago? with annual repainting (the anti-freeze solution they use on the roads must eat paint away), the stand lighting and numeral system this year

recently the BMI and EZY desks have been upgraded with flat screen tv's, looks very modern (and expensive!)

found these images...

http://www.airport-technology.com/projects/belfast-airport/images/4-belfast-airport.jpg

the current area of the food village looking towards where you used to queue for central search

http://www.airport-technology.com/projects/belfast-airport/images/5-belfast-airport.jpg

plans for the depatures lounge..

this is what cost £10m, not the escalators that some people think.... :oh:

ALLMCC
11th Feb 2010, 15:27
I had heard that Manx2's days at BHD are numbered and they would concentrate on BFS for their IOM service. This latest statement would seem to indicate that this may be the course they are taking.

tigger2k8
11th Feb 2010, 20:45
I had heard that Manx2's days at BHD are numbered and they would concentrate on BFS for their IOM service. This latest statement would seem to indicate that this may be the course they are taking.

well the silver manx 2 painted car has been sitting in the red-zone recently, could be managers in negotiations with BFS managers :)

eastconsbrook
12th Feb 2010, 09:40
Well that will boost passenger numbers for BFS!!!!
I think they better open another terminal!!
What other routes could they fly anyway?? As Manx2 are only a ticket agent and they have to comply with an EEC rule I dont think they have many options Unless they have air to air refueling ( Must ask man in park ):)
Anyway if Manx2 leave the city I am sure someone else will take over the route. It only takes 20 min to fly to the Rock and a 35 min bus or car ride to get to the airport from Belfast will not go down well
And the a car is sitting out side the airport with the manx2 name on it does not mean that the manager is in the airport, Would he not just fly?? Or maybe he used the steam bucket to Liverpool then the Norse Irish ferry and then the farm lane?
My bet would be a Eazyjet W route BHD IOM LPL LTN

tigger2k8
12th Feb 2010, 09:51
And the a car is sitting out side the airport with the manx2 name on it does not mean that the manager is in the airport, Would he not just fly?? Or maybe he used theno but the fact there was a couple of important looking people with manx2 high viz jackets walking about might highlight something :}.. could be a crew car? like i said it "could be a manager..."

back to the park, troll

Dave Clarke Fife
12th Feb 2010, 11:14
I believe BHD has an ILS at both ends (04 maybe LOC only approach, correct me if I'm wrong)

You're wrong about BHD having an ILS at both ends but spot on about 04 having a LOC/DME approach

tigger2k8
13th Feb 2010, 11:33
right, either a mod is liking the delete button too much or i forgot to submit a post last night (if my post was deleted id like to know why?)

was asking if anyone knows if the TNT fleet has now changed at BFS? as the white 767 hasnt been in the last few nights and has been replaced with a 757 (1 in TNT livery (operated by icelandair) and last nights was in icelandair livery) with a TNT 737 also sitting on the ground yesterday... cargo isnt my thing, i get lost after stand 29 :E

stand 26 looks like the next stand to be closed for awhile, as the drainage system is being replaced .. followed by 25

edit - instead of creating a new post... EZY's network was down at BFS (and other stations who use the same system) today.. caused a couple of delays, thankfully it was a saturday with a reduced schedule, if it happened tomorrow (sunday) it would be a disaster

gate 22
15th Feb 2010, 14:46
So according to the latest stats BFS still falling (although in line with most of the major UK airports).
Well done EZY after reducing Luton down to 2 per day and shifting the operation to BHD, FR up on STN, no rise on any EZY/London routes. Oh and EI LHR up. EZY carried 8528 at BHD not very impressive (I know they weren't there for the full month), crap timings and frequency certainly factors. Is this what you want to do during a recession?

tigger2k8
16th Feb 2010, 12:53
So according to the latest stats BFS still falling (although in line with most of the major UK airports).
Well done EZY after reducing Luton down to 2 per day and shifting the operation to BHD, FR up on STN, no rise on any EZY/London routes. Oh and EI LHR up. EZY carried 8528 at BHD not very impressive (I know they weren't there for the full month), crap timings and frequency certainly factors. Is this what you want to do during a recession?

is expected for an airport like BFS to be falling after losing a couple of airlines and the EI base aircraft, numbers do seem to be higher on flights compared to this time last year

on average 85 PAX on each flight for the BHD-LTN, which to be honest for January isn't too bad still doesnt justify adding anymore rotations, i doubt this month will... maybe once we see the start of the summer schedule numbers will pick up (but then again in summer every flight is almost at capacity), however LTN still remains in the BFS booking system.. wonder how long it'll stay there PRG floated around for awhile

remember they were making a point to management at BFS, in the long run it could be a good thing for them as BFS needs EZY to operate, should be interesting to hear what happens at the next landing fee negotiations

LTN-BHD just about made it into BHD last night, think it landed at 2110.. probably sneaked out just before 2130

EI's BFS-LHR route has became popular in the last few weeks

think BFS finally figured out that they cant hire 0900-1700 contractors to do work(or they are behind schedule) :E stand 27's drainage system was been worked on after midnight last night

mutleyshriek
18th Feb 2010, 11:13
My Brother flew Aer Lingus Lhr to Bfs monday night.169 pax on board.He asked the purser as she did the headcount.He works for Bombardier and had been told by the travel department for said company that"we are using Aer Lingus now for travel to and from London"enough said..........

tigger2k8
20th Feb 2010, 18:35
EI's first flight to LHR came back on stand today, engine problems, cancelled 5 hours later, no doubt due to slots / scheduling

as of 1500 there was 2 diversions from the city, one ryanair and one BMI

as usual (happening very often this year) freezing fog and ice on the engine blades causing most aircraft to sit on the ground for an hour until engineers had cleaned the blades..

either theres a chartered flight tonight EI990 (which i doubt) or theres an aircraft swap

EI-BUD
21st Feb 2010, 11:37
on average 85 PAX on each flight for the BHD-LTN, which to be honest for January isn't too bad still doesnt justify adding anymore rotations, i doubt this month will... maybe once we see the start of the summer schedule numbers will pick up (but then again in summer every flight is almost at capacity), however LTN still remains in the BFS booking system.. wonder how long it'll stay there PRG floated around for awhile

The average number of passengers on the Belfast Luton routes for January 2010 was better than January 2009 by about 10 passengers per flight. (taking totals this year on both BHD and BFS compared with just 2009 BFS LTN) so in this respect there is no disimprovement on load factor- although this bears no relationship with yield.

However, Easyjet cannot get definitive data at this stage to prove that the change was warranted. However, all that said their other London routes seem to have been getting a battering so all in all BHD LTN hasnt faired to badly.

Flybe have been doing well, would be great to know how successful their Various code sharing arrangements/interlining arrangements with Virgin etc have been doing?

EI-BUD

tigger2k8
23rd Feb 2010, 22:33
CAA audits this week at BFS, lots of high vis's walking around telling other high vis's to make sure they are velcrod across :}

gate 22
1st Mar 2010, 11:03
Fuel for the rumours about Bmi relocating back up the road.
The following is an advertisement from the Belfast Telegraph website today. Who will fly to BHD and then stay at the Park Plaza? No mention of 'Belfast City Airport' located right in the heart of Belfast. In actual fact only the BHD code lets you know that they fly to the City Airport.

Business travel is booming in Northern Ireland’s capital

Flights from London Heathrow to Belfast start from just £...
Belfast is back! With the impressive regeneration of Victoria Square, a highly cultured Cathedral Quarter and a glittering waterfront lined with lively bars and modern art, Belfast is reliving its former glory days! From grand Victorian architecture, Titanic walking tours and shipyards steeped in heritage, a trip to Belfast offers an interesting journey through Northern Ireland’s history. With non-stop flights from London Heathrow with bmi, there has never been a better time to visit Belfast!
Only 50 metres away from Belfast’s International Airport lies the Park Plaza,................ For a more central location, the ???? is a super yet slinky business hotel located in the heart of Belfast that boasts understated ????? and a striking bar with fine art and Italian designer furniture. For a business stopover, travellers should also explore ????? Belfast. Formerly an old converted warehouse, this hotel combines period features with the best of contemporary style and prides itself on being one of the best boutique hotels in the capital.
bmi, the second largest airline at London Heathrow, offers non-stop dailyflights to Belfast (BHD) from London Heathrow (LHR). Flights from LHR are just £.........

Had to take a few ref's out as it may go against the forum's rules on advertising.

eastern wiseguy
1st Mar 2010, 11:39
THey may well mean the PARK INN. Made that mistake myself the othr day when being told where I had to be for a meeting ( didn't know there was an inn as well as a plaza)

Might yet see RYR up the road if they are so desperate to launch "European" services and need a longer runway huh?

tigger2k8
1st Mar 2010, 13:04
read that article the other day, more than likely a typo

tigger2k8
2nd Mar 2010, 13:26
well the last EZY 737 positioned out to LTN today (G-EZKG), another A319 should arrive within the next day or 2...

TCX isnt having much luck the last 2 days, the early morning flight has been delayed by a few hours due to technical problems on 2 seperate aircraft (something with the tail..)

gate 22
2nd Mar 2010, 15:16
Why do the operators at BFS not take advantage of the 'extended' opening hours? Last night the last flight in from London was around 2110 EI from LHR. There were no domestic scheduled flights after this. It is a bit ironic that BHD has later domestic arrivals than BFS. I noticed that all the EZY flights were in bed at BFS by 21.00 (correct me if I am wrong). The last EZY London flight was in at 20.00!!!!

tigger2k8
2nd Mar 2010, 17:01
always happens in the winter time... everything comes in reasonably early.. once summer starts and aircraft do extra rotations the domestics get pushed back an hour or so... also during summer you will see more aircraft arriving back between 2300-0330

eastconsbrook
2nd Mar 2010, 17:31
Must be because every one wants to fly into BHD!!!:E

Ok Have my mature head on now
Any sign of new EI / RE flights from BFS?
They seem to be doing a flybe and having more routes than planes
It will be interesting to see as they will be going head to head with a few already established BFS routes

tigger2k8
2nd Mar 2010, 19:23
Apart from EI's ALC route and the extra LHR flight (and ofcourse the summer routes BCN, FAO, FCO) theres nothing new... doubt we will see any RE flights as the deal between EI and RE is that RE will basically feed passengers to its hubs, which isnt required at BFS due the routes offered from BFS being widely available at most UK/IRE airports and with most people using the option to transfer at LHR or drive about 2 hours to DUB

EI should do well this year they've got all the popular routes that N.I travellers love.. was plenty of demand last year even though we were in a recession, so should be better this year, shocked by them not running BFS-CDG as it was a good route in summer with disney land etc etc...

sam1993
2nd Mar 2010, 19:41
Travel Service Airlines will take over the charter flights previously operated by BMI this summer. The flights will operate from mid June to mid July again! :ok:

EI-BUD
3rd Mar 2010, 11:19
Why do the operators at BFS not take advantage of the 'extended' opening hours? Last night the last flight in from London was around 2110 EI from LHR. There were no domestic scheduled flights after this. It is a bit ironic that BHD has later domestic arrivals than BFS. I noticed that all the EZY flights were in bed at BFS by 21.00 (correct me if I am wrong). The last EZY London flight was in at 20.00!!!!

I flew last night Tuesday BFS LGW at 2045 and there were 32 passengers, other flights to GLA & LPL Leaving around the same time and were as quiet as mine. I would suggest in this recession that demand is very soft as is the case in most businesses couple this with probably too much capacity and price competiton.

DIRECTTANGODELTA
3rd Mar 2010, 15:00
Flew in on the first EZy from Newcastle on Tuesday with 35 pax and back again to Newcastle today full.

Plenty of terminal work going on, will be nice when its finished, I thought the place looks very under-utilised.

ATC kept busy with them noisy AAC Islanders!!:}:}

tigger2k8
3rd Mar 2010, 20:46
yup, between Jan-March and Oct to the start of Dec tuesdays and wednesdays are the quietest days of the week, has always been that way for the last 3 years now

speedbirdATC
3rd Mar 2010, 21:15
Whats the timetabling situation with Orlando flights this year at BFS?

NWSRG
4th Mar 2010, 20:18
Came in on the CO 757 today...had flown to EWR from LAS in the very same aircraft that then took us on to BFS.

Last time I used CO on this route the approach to 25 was a steep circling base leg, finishing high and left of the glideslope, but with an excellent piece of hand flying to touchdown neatly on the centreline.

Today, with less than perfect visibility, and an approach to 07, we found ourselves high (4 white PAPIs) and about 20 degrees right of the glideslope (at about 5 miles)...again, a clearly hand flown final approach (complete with a touch of sideslip I believe) and we touched down very neatly.

Any BFS ATC folk like to comment on the CO guys? My impression is that they have more latitude in actually flying the aircraft than their UK counterparts...only a perception, so keen to hear comments!

As for the 757...just a wonderful machine!

eastern wiseguy
5th Mar 2010, 14:53
about 20 degrees right of the glideslope (at about 5 miles)

Good trick...it's a VOR approach with no glideslope.:ok:

q1W2e3R4t5
5th Mar 2010, 15:04
20 degrees right of a glideslope?

how does that work? I think you mean Localiser.

Explain how you judged 4 whites on the papi, 20 degrees and distance?

Doesnt sound like a very stable approach to me.

eastern wiseguy
5th Mar 2010, 15:18
I think you mean Localiser.

No he doesn't see above.

with alacrity
5th Mar 2010, 16:37
This chart might explain why aircraft are to the right of the runway centre line. See link below: -

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/ad/EGAA/EG_AD_2_EGAA_8-2_en.pdf

The DME descent distance is now 7.5 and is offset 16 degrees.
It is a non precision approach and is flown manually until the pilot gets visual reference.

NWSRG
6th Mar 2010, 09:16
Eastern and alacrity,

Thanks for that...makes sense and sounds like what I encountered.

Qw...

I could see the White PAPIs...and judged the distance as a BFS PPL!

q1W2e3R4t5
6th Mar 2010, 16:28
If you could tell you were offset from the centre line, had four whites on the papis and were 5 miles out all from looking out a side window in a 75 your a better pilot than me.

eastern wiseguy
6th Mar 2010, 18:39
If you could tell you were offset from the centre line, had four whites on the papis and were 5 miles out all from looking out a side window in a 75 your a better pilot than me.

Depending on the wind and hence heading versus track, a little local knowledge and good eyesight.....he possibly could be :}:}:ok:

q1W2e3R4t5
7th Mar 2010, 16:17
With a VFR chart in hand and If the wind gave you a 45 degree difference in heading v track to see the lights, then maybe you could :rolleyes:

NWSRG
7th Mar 2010, 18:22
Q1W...

From seat 16F it was very obvious that there were four white PAPIs on 07 to be seen. I'm estimating the distance to have been about 5 miles, and the angle to have been about 20 degrees, but as mentioned, those are only estimates (albeit, with some experience behind me due to PPL). A reasonably sharp turn brought us onto final for 07. It was this very approach that caused me to ask the question in the first place...

With Alacrity and Eastern Wiseguy have kindly provided the professional input that I was seeking. If you have any professional comment to add, I'm happy to listen...but please don't tell me what I did or did not see...

q1W2e3R4t5
8th Mar 2010, 18:02
This does not sound like the npa for vor 07. You describe a 20 degree intercept with a sharp turn to establish on the final approach course at 5 miles. That would not have been the procedure and was more like a visual approach.

As I said not a very stable approach with 4 whites at 5 miles:= not much latitude there as you put it.

dontdoit
8th Mar 2010, 19:28
You can't be "20 degrees right (or left) of the glideslope". Think of it as a big fan covering a lot of azimuth set at a certain (usually about 3 deg) angle to the ground.

NWSRG
8th Mar 2010, 20:17
Dontdoit,
Fair point...wrong terminology...to me it appeared that we were flying a track of about 050...and making to intercept the extended 07 centreline somwhere to the west of the field...

Hopefully that makes sense!

speedbirdATC
8th Mar 2010, 20:50
It definitely sounds like a visual approach. Its been CAVOK up here at LDY for the past few days, so Im guessing BFS may be enjoying the same conditions so the CO guys probably took the visual procedure for practice or whatever.

Or maybe the PAPIs were just broke that morning lol

dontdoit
9th Mar 2010, 07:53
No, unfortunately it doesn't make any sense; tracking 050 you will only intercept even a 1 mile final for that runway if you start off SOUTH of the extended centerline. 5 miles WEST of the airfield puts you NORTH of the 07 centerline and would require a right turn to intercept, followed by a left turn to roll out on final.

Just to clear something else up, for "with alacrity" the approach is not "flown manually until visual reference"...if we did that we could only descend to the circling minima, we fly it (or any other non-precision approach) fully coupled which gives us the luxury of coming lower to the appropriate MDA. [Warning, double negative coming up!] It's not unusual on a non-precision approach to pop out of the clouds and NOT see 2 whites/2 reds like we do every time on the ILS, the reason we get paid a lot of money is then to convert that to crossing the threshold at about 50 feet and tracking the runway centerline.

Torque2
9th Mar 2010, 10:16
Seems like we're caught up with semantics here guys to no benefit.

'To the west' is sufficent for most folks although it would be actually SW if being exact.

The next thing to be discussed will be 'was it track or heading' and would it show all 'whites due to the pitch angle and seat position'.

Get a life and move on!

gate 22
9th Mar 2010, 10:43
Torque2

So - if it interests some people let them discuss it, what is the problem?

Torque2
9th Mar 2010, 12:37
Gate it is obvious that some people revel in trivia, this is another trivial issue that has run long enough. What exactly has it to do with Aldergrove? If it must be discussed put it somewhere else or perhaps, due to the lack of relevant information, there is sod all else to talk about of interest.

gate 22
10th Mar 2010, 06:38
South Antrim MP William McCrea, who attended the meeting, confirmed that the comments were made in response to a question and added his voice to calls for a public inquiry into the controversial planning application.
“His response to the issue was that he believed that the Environment Minister would be coming to a determination very soon and that could be within days,” he said. But the MLA cautioned that the decision may not be published immediately.
Mr McCrea also pressed for a public inquiry, insisting that a regional aviation strategy is needed before such a decision can be made.
“There are so many issues involved in this that we would need a public inquiry . Without a proper aviation strategy I believe that to take a decision for the Belfast City airport extension would be taking it piecemeal — we need a strategy for this region,” he said.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/belfast-airport-runway-decision-imminent-14713021.html#ixzz0hkxyM5t6 (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/belfast-airport-runway-decision-imminent-14713021.html#ixzz0hkxyM5t6)

Well this is the first time that I have heard the MP in which BFS is located actually stand up and defend it. There must be a very small minority in the political world who would support the decision of approval. It will be interesting to see what Mr Poots comes out with. If he approves I wonder what conditions will he attach? a cap enforcement?

q1W2e3R4t5
10th Mar 2010, 09:18
Ok, I agree with Torque 2 that this approach topic has ran its course. No offence to NWSRG but they are temporarily unsure of their position or are having a laugh, but this has resulted in everyone throwing in their view whether it be right or wrong.

Dontdo it is spot on you cant be west of the field on a track of 050 to intercept and we most certainly do not fly npa's 'manually' as he rightly corrected alacrity.

Unless Boeing have changed the seat layout since, 16F is on the right side of the aircraft which means you were south of the field to enable you to see the lights on a track of 050.

Finally this has everything to do with Aldergrove, after all it was an approach into it!

dontdoit
10th Mar 2010, 10:50
Thank-you. The 1st sensible reply I've seen on here.

eastern wiseguy
10th Mar 2010, 11:42
Unless Boeing have changed the seat layout since, 16F is on the right side of the aircraft which means you were south of the field to enable you to see the lights on a track of 050.

OK my final post. If you think that because the aircraft comes from "the west" it joins from that position ...you are very sadly mistaken. It joins from a direction I tell it to.....end of.

EW OUT.

q1W2e3R4t5
10th Mar 2010, 15:40
Mine too. As we determined it was a visual approach if you think that because the aircraft comes from "the west" it joins from that position ...you are very sadly mistaken. It joins from a direction I tell it to.....end of.

q1 out.

gate 22
11th Mar 2010, 23:44
The baby fights on - winter flights out
Seems to be an increased service to BHX on last winter.
EMA still battling on with 2 per day against FR.
CWL back daily ex SAT - strange.

tigger2k8
12th Mar 2010, 21:05
EZY is to start carrying cargo within the next month from BFS, trials to LGW :ok: if successful then they will expand

tigger2k8
21st Mar 2010, 18:36
Well tonites bhd-ltn will be run from bfs and back due to a tech aircraft

Vbs ends next week and ezy will run a summer charter to mxp

david1994
21st Mar 2010, 18:44
ezy will run a summer charter to mxp

Who are they running it for?

Amelia Earhart
21st Mar 2010, 18:47
Ever since the Belfast Airports forum split up it just hasn't been the same.

No fights over who is the real Belfast airport, no useless speculation about how BFS is set to fail and BHD takeover, or how EZY are moving to BHD and FR moving to BFS.

And look at how few posts there are now. Days go by without a post on either forum.

Can't you guys kiss and make up? Admit you's aren't happy with the breakup and get the moderators to merge the three forums!

david1994
21st Mar 2010, 18:51
Looks like free bird airlines are operating the WED Dalaman flight on-behalf of TCX

tigger2k8
22nd Mar 2010, 17:07
Ok, either my head is going mad, and I dont think it is just yet... Or theres a trigger happy moderator who is deleting posts, would be nice to get a pm with the reason as to why, especially when the content was related to the topic of conversation, while posts filled with rumors people dream up stay

eastern wiseguy
22nd Mar 2010, 18:26
Apparently we are expecting two Qatari C17's at some stage tomorrow..delivery flights?

Tower Ranger
23rd Mar 2010, 07:44
Hey Eastern, had a Qtr C17 in here a few times and it looks pretty impressive in the civil paint.

Tigger, can you even imagine how excited the mods must be when they log on and find another post on one of the 4 million Belfast forums, I`m sure your lost post was ground breaking and we all share your pain, stop crying man and do some work lol!!

tigger2k8
23rd Mar 2010, 11:16
Tigger, can you even imagine how excited the mods must be when they log on and find another post on one of the 4 million Belfast forums, I`m sure your lost post was ground breaking and we all share your pain, stop crying man and do some work lol!!

i wouldn't say ground breaking... but it was related the the MXP charter and info on the tech BHD flight

im not crying i just want an explanation as there was nothing offensive and there was nothing leaking top secret information :oh:, work? whats that? :E

gate 22
23rd Mar 2010, 11:35
i wouldn't say ground breaking... but it was related the the MXP charter and info on the tech BHD flight

So what about the MXP charter, what is the story?.
It's good that all knowledge of what is going on at airports is posted even rumours. Maybe a BHD spy works as a mod and didn't want any info about the BHD EZY incident posted.

tigger2k8
23rd Mar 2010, 14:10
David had asked who it was being run on behalf for, at the minute i have no idea, but the only information i have is:

--EZY 685
--1400 Departure from BFS
--149 booked (same as the VBS, 149 appeared to be the max, even though the VBS route was operated by one of the 319s for the later half of the schedule)
--Begins Saturday 27th March, unsure of the duration but probably will run throughout summer

as for the BHD tech aircraft, the information i posted was common knowledge, and the PAX who were bussed to BFS were all told the reason behind it... its a good job that BFS existed and had aircraft available otherwise there could have been over 300 people having difficulty getting to their destination..

BFS101
23rd Mar 2010, 14:52
So what about the MXP charter, what is the story?

27 March is a very early start for a summer charter programme, especially to northern Italy. If summer long, a May or early June start would have seemed more realistic. Will be interesting to know whose behind this, and how long the flights will operate for.

I see Thomas Cook group are reinstating a number of destinations over the peak summer end of June / July period. Rhodes that was to be season long, Saturday night flight, and then pulled completely, is back for peak period on a Wednesday. Corfu that was to be peak only Monday flight, then completely pulled, and now back for peak period operating on a Friday. Fuerteventura back on sale for peak period, operating on a Saturday. May be more, just a quick scan...

The Thomas Cook group seem very adaptable, especially at Belfast, adding flights and aircraft over the busy June / July holidays and destinations served peak only, whereas the Tui group appear very static, both in terms of capacity changes through the season, and also of destinations offered.

gate 22
23rd Mar 2010, 16:35
So another rumour from the EI thread, according to wiki EI start BFS/NYC in June 2010.

BFS101
23rd Mar 2010, 16:36
Also being carried on the Aer Lingus thread at the moment. From Aer Lingus wikipedia page:

In March 2010, the airline announced it would open a new route between Belfast International (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast_International_Airport) and New York JFK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_JFK) effective 20 June 2010. It will be the airline's first transatlantic route from Belfast International. Reference from the Airline will be release on the 22nd March 2010.

Presumably utter rubbish?

Random Flyer
23rd Mar 2010, 16:38
I wouldn't waste time talking about this one guys.

tigger2k8
23rd Mar 2010, 16:43
Servisair - jet2, bmi, co, tcx and charters

Menzies - ezy and ei, wizzair and dubrovnik airlines if they come back

Belfast ground handling is freight only

As for the ei rumor, could be true as theres been menzies staff sniffing round the airbridge but that could be for anything

MILEHIGHBOY
23rd Mar 2010, 17:00
bizzare! - never heard of EZY doin a charter!

tigger2k8
23rd Mar 2010, 17:37
Neither had I until they started bfs-vbs for a ski company at the start of the year

Evileyes
28th Mar 2010, 04:00
The posts that we keep having to remove are spotter posts. If you want a spotter post to remain visible please make it in this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/410347-belfast-international-airport-spotters.html

smythonthehill
30th Mar 2010, 12:54
My dad works for Langford Lodge out near Crumlin, which runway is directly underneath the approach for runway 07. This morning, he phoned me and said that a continental plane accidently mistaken their runway for Belfast Internationals and at the last minute they must have realized it was too short and put on full thrusters and avoided landing. I do trust my dad in saying this, but would anyone else have any more info on this?

speedbirdATC
30th Mar 2010, 18:19
It says on the BFS ATIS that crews should be aware of Langford Lodge on approach to 07. Also it would be odd that neither the approach or tower controller would have failed to notice the lower than usual altitude on final. Also the DME would have been wrong and there are no lights/PAPI's at Langford Lodge.

Saying that its not impossible for it to have happened, as we all should recall RYR9884 landing at Ballykelly a good 5 miles east of LDY!

EI-BUD
30th Mar 2010, 21:15
Arrivals Board at Dublin airport shows 2 Easyjet 319s landing around 9, Liverpool and Newcastle.very unusual to see Easyjet landing there. Evening LHR BFS EI also diverted down to Dublin.

Some weather beating about out there tonight, not sure if the remaining arrivals will get in tonight, however EI have expected arrival times on the arrivals board. Paris is showing as still expected, not sure what the story with that is.

EI-BUD

ILS25
30th Mar 2010, 21:53
Quote: My dad works for Langford Lodge out near Crumlin, which runway is directly underneath the approach for runway 07. This morning, he phoned me and said that a continental plane accidently mistaken their runway for Belfast Internationals and at the last minute they must have realized it was too short and put on full thrusters and avoided landing. I do trust my dad in saying this, but would anyone else have any more info on this?

This happened before a few years ago but I cant see it happening now as since that incident BFS ATC now always ask pilots to confirm that runway lights are in sight before giving landing clearance when using runway 07 so I cannot see them mistaking langford for BFS. As speedbirdATC mentioned, no AGL or PAPI's at Langford.

DannyKelly22
30th Mar 2010, 23:39
The EI malaga flight also diverted to dublin tonight too although is expected to make its way up to BFS shortly. 4 bfs diverts in total to DUB 2 EI and 2EZY aircraft. Its blowing like a hurricane up ere tonight.

Kavs8
31st Mar 2010, 14:32
Bad news for BFS today!, EI are to suspend all routes except LHR for the winter although ''All routes will be monitered, with best performing continuing to operate'' so just 1 EI A320 at BFS from 31/10/10.

ben_keghead
31st Mar 2010, 15:28
The 2 EZYs came to LPL and didnt return until this afternoon

Torque2
1st Apr 2010, 10:28
I am surprised that no-one has remarked on the effect that SSV becoming insolvent will have on the TUI summer schedule out of BFS. Perhaps its not relevant.

BFS101
8th Apr 2010, 12:57
Sorry, but can't find the BHD thread, and thought this may be of interest to majority in the Belfast area...

Ryanair Regrets 18 month delay in runway extension at Belfast City Airport

News : Ryanair Regrets 18 Month Delay in Runway Extension at Belfast? (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-regrets-18-month-delay-in-runway-extension-at-belfast-city-airport)

Ryanair is concerned that there is now a real possibility that the runway at Belfast City may not be lengthened, if the results of this public inquiry are unsuccessful.

True Blue
8th Apr 2010, 14:55
Jet2 to launch Gva in the winter once per week. Competition with Easyjet. Why would they not consider the likes of Sofia where there is a market and no competition?

True Blue

Keyvon
8th Apr 2010, 15:07
@ true blue

It will be probably operated also for local ski-holidays operators, with the rest of seats sold directly by Jet2.

globetrotter79
9th Apr 2010, 08:08
For the time being, BFS-Chambery has not appeared in their booking system (correct me if wrong, but this has operated in other years??), so I guess the BFS-GVA is effectively a replacement of this..but with some more tour operator support

airhumberside
10th Apr 2010, 17:05
Only because the Winter 2009-10 season finishes today. Today should be the last flight on the route based on what Jet 2 currently have on sale

mutleyshriek
12th Apr 2010, 02:28
Surely (because of the public enquiry that will now take place over Belfast Citys runway plans) this will give Aldergrove a chance to prove to everyone involved that Belfast does not need two airports. Every sane person knows that Ryanairs entry into Belfast was a knee jerk reaction to Aer Lingus opening a base at BFS. Brian Ambrose has been dancing to Mr O'learys merry tune and has hidden vital information from the CAA who are not impressed. A public enquiry is the best way forward to ensure a transparent and open avaition policy for the region, and two international airports that are twelve miles apart is not the way to proceed. One airport with lots of investment in it, thats the way forward.

david1994
12th Apr 2010, 08:10
Maybe FR will leave ship BHD and head to ship BFS. I always thought BFS would off been a better option for FR.

gate 22
12th Apr 2010, 08:53
Maybe FR will leave ship BHD and head to ship BFS. I always thought BFS would off been a better option for FR

FR seem to suggest that BFS is not an option, would this be because-
1. BFS is too expensive
2. BFS won't let them in (protecting is own services, EG in return will EZY bring back LTN)
3. They both don't get on, a bit like what apparently happened at CWL.

As for the runway extension at BHD someone mentioned on here that it was a way of beefing up the facility for a sale, in that the current owners don't build it but pass it on.

BFS101
12th Apr 2010, 13:54
Maybe FR will leave ship BHD and head to ship BFS
Michael O'Leary quoted in the Belfast Telegraph. You got to laugh at this guys hypocrisy. It's been stated to death on here, but to moan about the journey from Belfast to BFS, while advertising Beauvais as Paris and Girona as Barcelona, is laughable.

And he ruled out ever launching new routes from Belfast International Airport if the public inquiry went against the runway, saying that 800,000 Ryanair passengers a year “don’t want to make the long and lonely journey to the shores of Lough Neagh”.

tigger2k8
12th Apr 2010, 16:54
i think hes been reading comments from some people on this forum and throwing them into his statements. If you think about it theres thousands of people who make the 100+ mile trip to DUB from the Belfast area every year to catch flights, so i doubt people would have a problem travelling to BFS:}

While EZY and EI are at BFS, FR will not be welcome... if FR was smart, they'd be bugging LDY to upgrade its facilities, the amount of people who travel from the LDY area to the Belfast airports is higher than you'd think.. so theres lots of potential which is being ignore by most airlines, although no doubt population density is why everyone is focused on Belfast

as with landing rates and fees, i thought BHD was slightly more expensive than BFS due to its city location? im not an expert in landing fees/rates as i have never needed to land a plane anywhere :oh:

Anyway, for anyone who is interested:

--WHSmith is moving to a new unit opposite the food court
--Interserve will soon disappear from BFS and OCS is taking over
--Work on the drainage system is continuing.. work round stands 25,26,27 is finished in time for the main summer flights, unfortunately an area in the busiest part needs attention as the drain subsidence is really bad... knocks stands 18,21,22 and 24 out of action, 22 ofcourse is the airbridge and a stand suitable for larger aircraft such as the 757,767 and 330..
-- EZY MXP charter was for 2 weeks only, for topflight.ie i think.. could see more charters this summer

speedbirdATC
12th Apr 2010, 17:35
if FR was smart, they'd be bugging LDY to upgrade its facilities

At LDY the terminal is currently being extended along with the car park. The runway has been extended, as has the main apron. All taxiways are being upgraded. Runway 26 has got a new ILS installed and runway 08 will have an offset ILS in use around May. A new DME and NDB have also been installed. What more could RYR want?

jetstreamtechrecords
12th Apr 2010, 18:35
What more could RYR want?

Everything for nothing...

Facelookbovvered
12th Apr 2010, 22:40
I really don't know what to make of the BHD v BFS debate, i had to travel from Belfast to Derby a few times last month and used both bmibaby and Ryanair from BFS and BHD respectively, both routes were busy, Ryanair flights had more pax, but a lot of the baby pax were suites and probably like me book the day before so who knows? its handy having both it keeps the prices down,

I don't understand why BHD needs a longer runway if you can get a A320 out of there whats the point? it never going to be BHD to the states? is it

I like city airports for quick business trips, but if they are too busy it defeats the object, London City is great but you don't get the operators banging on about wanting a longer runway, have Ryanair got the right aircraft, Easyjet to LTN seems to work well enough, can some one explain it to me?

Rinty
12th Apr 2010, 22:41
Mutleyshreik

Moderated. The ball please, not the player.

Even Michael O'learys greatest critics would acknowledge that he is a very shrewd busnessman - to suggest that he somehow opened an airline base in BHD just to annoy Aer Lingus is nonsense.

To suggest that Brian Ambrose has willfully misled the CAA is potentially libelous (or is it slanderous) and also just plain incorrect. Have you read the CAA report -perhaps you should.

The public enquiry is an enquiry into a length of runway which will enable aircraft which currently use the airport to fly further. It has nothing to do with an aviation strategy for NI. This was covered in the White paper of 2003 which advocated growth at both Belfast airports.

BTW according to Google the airports are 14.5 miles apart as the crow flies, 29 miles by road (M2) (assuming that you're not flying or walking across the fields) - but I know that you're not one to let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Please someone restart the BHD thread:{

mutleyshriek
12th Apr 2010, 23:18
Rinty,

The CAA produced a report and concluded that BCA withheld information relative to noise and effects on the local community. The boundaries that BCA stated had been breached and would get worse with an extension. The CAA recomended a public enquiry also. As for Ryanair, this was their reaction to Aer Lingus entering the Belfast market and they knew the constraints of operating from BHD. Total knee jerk reaction from O,Leary. 36 months ago Brian Ambrose stated that BHD would never seek an extension to the runway in the Belfast Telegraph. I have the paper on my knee at the minute, so be careful who you accuse of being libelous.......I have worked in this Industry for many years and kept cut outs and press releases on airline activity in Belfast for a long long time...I cant be libeled for speaking the truth...May i suggest you visit belfastcityairportwatch website. Btw you know nothing about me whatsoever and I am certantly not ignorant.

gate 22
13th Apr 2010, 00:00
BTW according to Google the airports are 14.5 miles apart as the crow flies, 29 miles by road (M2) (assuming that you're not flying or walking across the fields) - but I know that you're not one to let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Here lies the problem with you BHD users - oh and MOL. There is a quicker way than travelling 29 miles. Travel along the M3 from BHD, towards Belfast, then join the M2-country bound leaving at the A57 and follow the signs to International airport. (this is under 21 miles). Or go via the Crumlin Road and the journey from BHD-BFS is around 16.5 miles.

gate 22
13th Apr 2010, 00:03
BTW according to Google the airports are 14.5 miles apart as the crow flies

Perimeter fence to perimeter fence is 12.77 miles therefore this is how far apart they are.

mutleyshriek
13th Apr 2010, 01:07
Thank you gate 22. I rest my case.

I just stated facts about the predatory practices of FR and MOL. All true and the world and his wife knows it. If EI were not in BFS for sure FR would certantly not be at BHD knowing the contraints that airfield offered. Ive read the CAA report and it was damming of BHDs application for the extention. I also have in black and white Brian Ambrose dismissing any plans for a runway extention. He clearly stated "we will not be seeking an extention to the runway at Belfast City Airport now or at any time in the future". Harp the arrival of FR and all things change. MOL may try to influence governments in Dublin but his ignorant rants have fallen on deaf ears in the North. Hes not getting his way so his toys are certantly being thrown out of the pram as far as Bhds runway, oh thats not far is it. Good on you Mr Poots....

Tower Ranger
13th Apr 2010, 03:35
Recently booked tickets for a trip back next month and unfortunately had to book to fly to BFS as the prices for BHD were significantly higher. BMI was 280 quid, Flybe from Gatwick 210 and Aer Lingus came in at 145 for the two of us.
It wasn`t all bad news however as I booked a 3 day return to Stansted with Ryanair for 40 quid all in for both of us.
Who`s gonna do me the best car hire deal now??

BTW G22 how long do you think it would take you using the Crumlin road shortcut at around 8am? LOL

BFS101
13th Apr 2010, 15:27
On the LDY thread we had... from eastconsbrook,

Keep an eye out for AIR DOLOMITI at BHD this summer!!

In absence of a BHD thread, does anyone have anymore details on this? Would assume it's for an Italian destination. I know that FlyBE are currently scheduled to operate the Tui / Topflight Verona programme, and unaware of any other Italian destination on sale.

At least with using the E195 or ATR, Air Dolomiti should not require an extension to the existing runway at BHD, if operating to Italy!!

david1994
13th Apr 2010, 15:33
Belfast city thread - http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/411974-belfast-city-airport-bhd-george-best.html

tigger2k8
13th Apr 2010, 15:58
havn't heard anything myself on it although i havnt been to BHD this month yet:ooh:... must be some form of charter flight if it is going to happen, no seats on sale on their website and they only operate in Germany, Austria and Italy

if people make the trip to DUB to go on holiday, which is over 100 miles then 30 miles maximum between BHD and BFS isn't the end of the world, the thing that people decide on is price, times and who can get them closer to their final destination

theres already been a seperate BHD thread, however it seems to have vanished

EDIT - just going to include the latest informaton on this post instead of making a new post...

just a quick update, which explains FR's recent dig at BFS... no doubt some people will choose not believe it though.. your choice, but dont call me a liar or accuse me of anything...

during the annual meeting between the airport and airlines (who currently operate out of BFS, or who are interested...) FR had said it would operate from BFS, but would want a subsidy for each flight operated, airport said no... week or 2 later they make a comment :}

couple of airlines interested in starting potential flights from next year when the market should have recovered... 1 of which used to operate out of BFS

traffic down 12% (as cuthere posted on the LDY thread) which isnt too bad, the loss of BFS-LTN (x4 per day) and ofcourse losing one EI aircraft is probably the contributing factors for this month... would appear that things are starting to stabilise and improve in Aviation in the UK thankfully

the CO and WW ground handling contracts are both up soon, should be interesting to see what way the CO contract goes been a couple of staffing issues since the Servisair takeover of Aviance

gate 22
21st Apr 2010, 08:15
On the EZY flight arrangements site it has several flights BFS/LTN over the next couple of days, I suppose its a BFS based aircraft catching up on the back log of passengers. These flights are not shown on the BFS boards - maybe a mistake.

tigger2k8
21st Apr 2010, 09:49
Must be a LTN base aircraft, the BFS ones will be busy enough doing their own schedule (when they get back that is, not sure if they are already in or not but one is stranded in STN, LGW and AGP), apart from maybe Saturday when one should be free in the morning unless the schedule has changed..

Have you got the flight numbers and dates?

gate 22
21st Apr 2010, 09:55
TimeFlight NumberDepartureArrivalStatus 21/04/2010 06:15:00254Belfast IntlLondon StanstedScheduled21/04/2010 06:15:006755Belfast IntlMalagaScheduled21/04/2010 06:30:00732Belfast IntlLondon GatwickCancelledFree Transfer (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2937)Refund (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3739)21/04/2010 07:00:00162Belfast IntlLondon LutonCancelledFree Transfer (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2937)Refund (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3739)21/04/2010 07:05:00602Belfast IntlLiverpoolScheduled21/04/2010 08:05:00463Belfast IntlGlasgowScheduled21/04/2010 08:15:00604Belfast IntlLiverpoolScheduled21/04/2010 08:30:00548Belfast IntlNewcastleScheduled21/04/2010 08:45:00444Belfast IntlBristolScheduled21/04/2010 09:25:006671Belfast IntlBarcelonaScheduled21/04/2010 09:30:006713Belfast IntlMajorca (Palma)Scheduled21/04/2010 09:50:006795Belfast IntlFaroScheduled21/04/2010 10:15:00256Belfast IntlLondon StanstedCancelledFree Transfer (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2937)Refund (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3739)21/04/2010 13:55:00736Belfast IntlLondon GatwickScheduled21/04/2010 14:05:006775Belfast IntlAmsterdamCancelledFree Transfer (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2937)Refund (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3739)21/04/2010 14:50:00166Belfast IntlLondon LutonScheduled 21/04/2010 14:55:006723Belfast IntlParis Charles de GaulleScheduled 21/04/2010 16:35:00168 Belfast IntlLondon LutonScheduled 21/04/2010 17:00:00612Belfast IntlLiverpoolScheduled21/04/2010 17:05:006737Belfast IntlNiceScheduled21/04/2010 18:00:00738Belfast IntlLondon GatwickCancelledFree Transfer (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2937)Refund (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3739)21/04/2010 18:10:00467Belfast IntlGlasgowScheduled21/04/2010 18:10:00614Belfast IntlLiverpoolScheduled21/04/2010 19:15:00266Belfast IntlLondon StanstedScheduled21/04/2010 19:25:00452Belfast IntlBristolScheduled21/04/2010 19:30:00742Belfast IntlLondon GatwickScheduled21/04/2010 19:50:00172Belfast IntlLondon LutonScheduled21/04/2010 20:45:00618Belfast IntlLiverpoolScheduled21/04/2010 20:55:00556Belfast IntlNewcastleScheduled21/04/2010 21:30:00469Belfast IntlGlasgowScheduled22/04/2010 06:15:00254Belfast IntlLondon StanstedScheduled22/04/2010 06:15:006755Belfast IntlMalagaScheduled22/04/2010 06:30:00732Belfast IntlLondon GatwickScheduled22/04/2010 07:00:00162Belfast IntlLondon LutonCancelledFree Transfer (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2937)Refund (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3739)22/04/2010 07:00:00485Belfast IntlEdinburghScheduled22/04/2010 07:05:00602Belfast IntlLiverpoolScheduled22/04/2010 07:30:006703Belfast IntlAlicanteScheduled22/04/2010 08:05:00463Belfast IntlGlasgowScheduled22/04/2010 08:15:00604Belfast IntlLiverpoolScheduled22/04/2010 08:30:00548Belfast IntlNewcastleScheduled22/04/2010 08:45:00444Belfast IntlBristolScheduled22/04/2010 09:25:006735Belfast IntlNiceScheduled22/04/2010 09:30:006783Belfast IntlKrakowScheduled22/04/2010 09:50:006795Belfast IntlFaroScheduled22/04/2010 10:15:00256Belfast IntlLondon StanstedScheduled22/04/2010 11:30:00465Belfast IntlGlasgowScheduled22/04/2010 13:55:00736Belfast IntlLondon GatwickScheduled22/04/2010 14:05:006775Belfast IntlAmsterdamScheduled22/04/2010 14:50:00166Belfast IntlLondon LutonScheduled22/04/2010 14:55:006723Belfast IntlParis Charles de GaulleScheduled22/04/2010 16:20:00264Belfast IntlLondon StanstedScheduled22/04/2010 16:35:00168Belfast IntlLondon LutonScheduled22/04/2010 16:35:00487Belfast IntlEdinburghScheduled22/04/2010 17:00:00612Belfast IntlLiverpoolScheduled22/04/2010 17:50:00490Belfast IntlEdinburghScheduled22/04/2010 18:00:00738Belfast IntlLondon GatwickScheduled22/04/2010 18:10:00467Belfast IntlGlasgowScheduled22/04/2010 18:10:00614Belfast IntlLiverpoolScheduled22/04/2010 19:00:006715Belfast IntlMajorca (Palma)Scheduled22/04/2010 19:15:00266Belfast IntlLondon StanstedScheduled22/04/2010 19:25:00452Belfast IntlBristolScheduled22/04/2010 19:30:00742Belfast IntlLondon GatwickScheduled22/04/2010 19:40:00493Belfast IntlEdinburghScheduled22/04/2010 19:50:00172Belfast IntlLondon LutonScheduled22/04/2010 20:45:00618Belfast IntlLiverpoolScheduled22/04/2010 20:55:00556Belfast IntlNewcastleScheduled22/04/2010 21:30:00469Belfast IntlGlasgowScheduled

tallseabird
21st Apr 2010, 10:31
I am a bit confused as to why airlines are so slow to react to the return to flying, surely (for example) Easyjet have an aircraft at either BFS or LGW ready to operate the BFS-LGW flights, I can understand that they might have missed the first rotations this morning but I see they have operated a PMI and FAO (amongst other) already so why are the domestic routes not up and running?

tigger2k8
21st Apr 2010, 12:37
thanks for the info gate22, from what i can see those are the times the BFS-LTN service operated when it was running from BFS.. also using the old flight numbers

LTN is still an option in the drop-down menu although no flights are bookable, could be an error within their system as its probably all automated.. also all the LTN flights are still on the daily flight list showing as 0 passengers and cancelled, these are simply not entered in the FMS at BFS so doesnt display on the screens

tallseabird, its not just EZY having problems even though airspace is re-opened.. aircraft and crews have to be repositioned, some crews may be entitled to leave or rest periods after being away from home for so long (unless ofcourse crews were sent via bus then taxi....) im not sure.. this could also have messed up crew hours and rotations

ALLMCC
21st Apr 2010, 12:40
Seems strange the LTN flights are operating to BFS instead of BHD where the route has operated to/from since January.

tallseabird
21st Apr 2010, 13:07
Tigger, I did say "for example Easyjet".

It still seems strange to me in the domestic market, the crews I would have thought would have been at home or in a hotel so crew hours shouldn't be an issue at least not a major issue and a single commercial or positioning flight, about an hour within the UK, should get everything back on track.

I know Ryanair, BMI, Flybe and all the rest are taking a while to get mobilised so it is not just EZY - it all just seems a bit slow to me!

gate 22
21st Apr 2010, 13:14
Seems strange the LTN flights are operating to BFS instead of BHD where the route has operated to/from since January.

The LTN flight this morning was into BHD, I thought these were additional flights to clear the backlog. Obviously EZY have made a mistake on their website as tigger suggests.

air2000dub
21st Apr 2010, 19:06
You may also find that passenger loads on some of the domestic Uk sector may not warrant the flight at the moment. I heard one airline carried 3 passengers on a UK domestic sector today. Another over 4 sectors only carried a grand total of 30 over the 4 sectors.

EGAC_Ramper
21st Apr 2010, 19:23
Ryanair for example are not flying any domestic schedules tomorrow but will resume Friday. Now this may seem "slow" to get things back on th track but they are using these aircraft instead to fly to mainland europe and bring back those stranded passengers which in my own opinion I believe is a sensible idea. Those pax stuck domestically can still use other means to get to destinations or invariably you'll find many of these trips are short ones so may have been cancelled, better utilisation of aircraft in my opinion.

Regards

BFS101
21st Apr 2010, 22:21
Like EGAC_Ramper stated,

I think the priority would be to get those passengers back from further afield. Easyjet amongst others may feel the aircraft be better used flying trapped Britons back from Spain and Portugal etc, and so to free up aircraft they are having to cancel some BFS domestics.

See BmiBaby have cancelled their first flights out tomorrow from BFS (EMA, MAN, BHX) after cancelling all their flights today. As above, WW have put on extra flights from the mainland to Europe to repatriate stranded travellers, which I guess is using the aircraft BFS would normally see.

On a different note, any word on the TOM aircraft to operate from Belfast? Will it be a G reg'd A320, rather than the planned C reg?

tallseabird
21st Apr 2010, 22:22
You are having a laugh! Ryanair couldn't give a rat's ass about people stuck abroad - in the infamous words of Mr McEnroe - you cannot be serious!

tallseabird
21st Apr 2010, 22:29
Priority, there is only one priority - make money - at the expense of everything else. This is not a BFS/BHD argument this is real business!

Who gives a flying fiddlers about those people stuck abroad - they can obviously aford it (I can just see MOL mouthing those words!)

tallseabird
21st Apr 2010, 22:32
There are people who have legitimately booked (or rebooked) flights HOME tomorrow - are you going to totally abondon them just because they are domestic - shame on you!

BFS101
21st Apr 2010, 22:45
Priority, there is only one priority - make money - at the expense of everything else. This is not a BFS/BHD argument this is real business!

Who gives a flying fiddlers about those people stuck abroad - they can obviously aford it (I can just see MOL mouthing those words!)

Yes the airlines are businesses and need to be efficient with money, while providing a degree od customer service. Well I think it'd be cheaper, and in the airlines interest therefore, to cancel a few domestics that may have multiple frequencies per day, to accomodate cancelled passengers, rather than have people stuck abroad were Easyjet, BmiBaby or whoever are forking out for accomodation, food and essential expenses.

I do also see were you're coming from, I'm flying out with bmi to connect to New York, Friday, and I'd be pretty cross if bmi cancelled my flight to operate a flight to Europe causing me to miss my BA flight.

flying officer kite
22nd Apr 2010, 11:12
Any news on the continental service from BFS? Their website a few days ago said larger aircraft may be used on the affected European routes to help with the backlog. Also hows cargo affected by this? Im sure Jet2, Titan and Atlantic were hit hard with the post flights.

gate 22
22nd Apr 2010, 14:32
Any news on the continental service from BFS?

It was a 757 this morning around 0940 although as the sun was on the far side from where I saw it-The tail didn't look familiar couldn't confirm that it was Continental colours - hard to identify.

eastern wiseguy
22nd Apr 2010, 18:50
it was Continental

indeed it was.:ok:

Kavs8
28th Apr 2010, 14:53
New manx2 service to Galway begins 5 July Manx2 Timetable (http://www.airkiosk.com/cgi-bin/airkiosk/display_ssim?NM) :ok: suprised its not BHD though:D

Kavs8
28th Apr 2010, 17:58
Sorry just to let you do ''Shannon 2010'' this is pprune! so stop wasting my time :ok:

Torque2
28th Apr 2010, 19:49
Dear dear, get a grip for goodness sake.

BFS101
29th Apr 2010, 09:43
Thomson summer 2011 released today. BFS looks pretty much the same as 2010 with the exception of Sharm El Sheikh season long Wednesdays, 4 May to 19 Oct. This flight seems to fit in with the times for Thomson based aircraft, so could we see a 757 based 2011, or can the A320 make it direct to SSH from Belfast.

Kavs8
29th Apr 2010, 16:38
Guys i understand that EZY have 6 A319 based at BFS now correct me if i am wrong but this must be reduced for the winter season to about 4/5 if i am correct?

BFS101
29th Apr 2010, 16:38
I guess both these releases are still very much subject to change. Thomas Cook especially seem to change capacity and destinations as demand requires. I think we could well see some changes from the preview brochures.

What surprises me, is with Thomson the UK's largest tour operator, and Falcon also having a large brand presence in Northern Ireland, that the TUI operation from Belfast appears so much smaller than Thomas Cook's. Capacity to Turkey as an example, especially the amount of peak season flights TCX add, and the range of destinations offered.

Sad to see that Naples is again off the destination list for 2011, and that TCX is offering Florida as peak only again, even with FlyGlobespan's demise. To think of the years BFS had at least two operators competing with direct Orlando flights season long...

tigger2k8
29th Apr 2010, 17:22
Kavs8, yes there are 6 A319s at BFS for the summer, in the last 2 years this has reduced to 5 in the winter, id imagine it will be the same this year unless new routes or more rotations are added

EI-BUD
1st May 2010, 22:12
Aer Lingus BFS LHR tomorrow;

AerLingus have the same 0715 flight every day of the week leave BFS for LHR, but tomorrow it is not on the departures board and no mentioned as cancelled, I wonder why this is. Perhaps due to bank hol weekend and less sunday morning demand?

EI-BUD

tigger2k8
2nd May 2010, 02:55
some of the BFS-LHR rotations such as this mornings 0715 are non-op, this is PROBABLY due to the quieter period from the end of easter until schools get out and the reduced business travel that happens on sundays and i think theres 1 or 2 days during the week when 1 rotation operates inbound to BFS only and sits for an hour or 2... should return to normal in a week or 2 :ok:

EI-BUD
2nd May 2010, 09:02
Thanks for the info Tigger.

What seemed to be a 767 took off this morning about 0945 and was turning back to fly west from BFS, however, no mention of it on the departures board. Perhaps it was cargo? I could see the markings.

Anyone know anything about this?

EI-BUD

BELHold
2nd May 2010, 12:08
Noticed that 767 myself , thought it was maybe the Maersk doing training or positioning somewhere due to the Bank Holiday. Wasn't a pax flight :confused:

tigger2k8
2nd May 2010, 13:30
cant remember where i saw it but i noticed someone asking about a flybe diversion to BFS, the a/c is still on the ground, stand 10.. G-JEDW.. looks tech

there was a A321 TCX that took off using 07 and circled west (i think? not good with directions lol...)around 1000, never noticed a 767 though, as far as i recall it was only the DHL that was on the cargo apron this morning

ardpro
2nd May 2010, 17:16
EI-BUD it was TCX 397 to Reus. As tigger said it was a 321. Heard it on frequency doing a non-standard left turn off 07 to the west intially before being turned left again to Dublin VOR. There's some prob with the radar at Aldergrove meaning that they had to do it that way..

ILS25
2nd May 2010, 20:03
Yep, primary radar is down for some time for upgrading, secondary radar only in use.

controller friendly
3rd May 2010, 10:23
Eh no! Nothing to do with radar being SSR only. It was easterly operations, there was a high bmi inbound for 04, I decided to turn the TCX left so he could get some height on, as they are usually heavy and don't climb too well, and I was pretty sure I would get direct from Scottish!!!
Left turns off 04 and 07 are underrated...and underused..in my opinion!!!;)

Kavs8
4th May 2010, 16:41
New ORK-BFS route from July with Manx2 & already announced BFS-GWY route! :ok:

david1994
4th May 2010, 16:46
Some fun today at BFS the A321 did Heraklion while an A320 did PMI :ok:

david1994
4th May 2010, 16:48
New ORK-BFS route from July with Manx2 & already announced BFS-GWY route!

BFS - ORK isnt direct it is via Galway :ok:

tigger2k8
6th May 2010, 17:06
Well theres some form of work going on with the radar at bfs, also some interesting approaches for 07.

Last nights tcx flight to monistair (spelling?) Is on a a330, boarded it, and now unboarded looks like its tech

david1994
6th May 2010, 18:21
Now departed :ok:

TCX837K Monastir 22:45 - DEPARTED 19:13

david1994
6th May 2010, 18:38
Last nights tcx flight to monistair (spelling?) Is on a a330, boarded it, and now unboarded looks like its tech

The A330 is now departed and enroute to Monastir

Reg: G-OJMB
Hex: 400915
Model: Airbus A330-243 (A332)
Airline: Thomas Cook

gate 22
7th May 2010, 11:26
NM 213 Isle Of Man 13:30-
EZY736 London Gatwick 13:55-
NM 980 Galway 14:00
From Departures board
Is today the official announcement of manx2 Galway as the flights don't start until July.

BFS101
12th May 2010, 21:21
For those of you interested LS have released some of their BFS summer 2011 seats for sale. Highlights include -

Murcia staring 28 March, rather than 10 May. Still up to X6 week.

Dubrovnik staying X1 week, but starting 25 April rather than 10 May.

Palma starting 11 April, rather than 10 May, and still up to X6 week.

Ibiza and Mahon are pretty much the same as this year, Mahon starting a week earlier and X1 week, Ibiza X2 week.

Just have to wait and see if Pisa and Toulouse return, and if we get any new destinations. Jet2.com mixed the mass market bucket and spade routes with more niche routes from Belfast, and seemed to make them generally work, but guess we'll just need to wait. It was Jet2.com that initiated the first scheduled flights from Belfast to Prague, Barcelona and Dubrovnik, so seem to be more prepared to take a chance from Belfast. Shame they were put off both PRG and BCN after competition.

True Blue
14th May 2010, 22:19
According to a press release dated today on the Jet2 site, they will be serving Lanzarote and Tenerife year round and Tunisia for S11 from Bfs. Not yet available for booking.

True Blue

"Starting fares for summer 2011 flights direct from Belfast Airport include:

Dubrovnik from just £39.99 departing from 1st May 2011
Ibiza from just £39.99 departing from 26th May 2011
Lanzarote from just £59.99 departing year round
Mahon from just £39.99 departing from 10th June 2011
Murcia from just £29.99 departing from 29th March 2011
Palma from just £29.99 departing from 16th April 2011
Tenerife from just £59.99 departing year round
Tunisia from just £59.99 departing from 22nd May 2011"

ILS25
15th May 2010, 22:02
Irish Aviation Authority - 2030 hours local - Saturday 15th May 2010: Donegal, Sligo and Ireland West (Knock) open until 0700 hours local, Sunday 16th May 2010. All other airports open until at least 1300 hours local. (http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=93&n=96&a=922)

Continental have cancelled it's Newark to BFS for tomorrow morning. The mayhem begins again. :ugh:

DannyKelly22
16th May 2010, 11:50
Thomas Cook Reus flight still going ahead. Pax being bused to Dublin and then flown to Reus with the pax returning this way and bused back up to BFS at some stage early hours tonight. Pax leaving BFS between 1 and 2pm today.

Thomson Airways Malaga flight which was the only flight to depart BFS today is diverted to DUB coming back.

david1994
16th May 2010, 11:56
TCX from Dublin due to depart @ 18:50

Reus Thomas Cook TCX397K 16-05-2010 18:50

airportview
16th May 2010, 14:19
Thomas Cook Reus flight still going ahead. Pax being bused to Dublin and then flown to Reus with the pax returning this way and bused back up to BFS at some stage early hours tonight. Pax leaving BFS between 1 and 2pm today

looks like DUB - Reus 18.50 now cancelled after all , due to ash movements....

david1994
16th May 2010, 14:30
Reus Thomas Cook TCX397K 16-05-2010 18:50Cancelled

DannyKelly22
16th May 2010, 14:57
yea jus spoke to servisair, flight cancelled pax have to rebook. Not sure what happening with the pax in Reus. My mum out there, they've been taken to a hotel for the time being but were told to leave their bags at the airport. They checked in for the flight an all but don't look like they'll be goin anywhere soon. Dublin closed until at least 9am tomorrow and BFS showing so signs of opening today and possible tomorrow. It may be tomorrow evening before there any movements according to agent from Servisair i spoke to.

tigger2k8
16th May 2010, 15:04
slight, and i mean slight possibility of EZY operating a couple of flights tonight from BFS... however it will be near 1800 before they will decide the status of the flights..

DannyKelly22
16th May 2010, 15:15
What u think the chances of BFS opening tonight are????????????

tigger2k8
16th May 2010, 15:18
just got an update through, no chance of anything tonight now, the rest of the EZY flights should soon change to cancelled, they had hoped to get 3 base aircraft out after 1930 and 4 turnarounds (my guess domestics) but this has fell through, so um, nevermind my post before :eek:

david1994
16th May 2010, 15:35
Update on Sunday 16 May, 1630

For the period 1900 today (local time) until 0100 tomorrow (Monday) London’s main airports will still be clear of the no-fly zone imposed by the CAA due to the high density volcanic ash cloud.

The ash cloud continues to change shape and move further south to just north of Oxford during this period. This brings Birmingham and Norwich inside the no-fly zone in addition to those airports already affected. The northerly extent of the no-fly zone in England now includes Teesside, stopping just short of Newcastle, and tracking northwest in a line just north of Carlisle, which remains in the no-fly zone.

Airports inside the no-fly zone in England and Wales now include Teesside, Humberside, Leeds Bradford, Blackpool, Ronaldsway, Caernarfon, Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Doncaster, Norwich, Birmingham and East Midlands.

In Scotland the no-fly zone includes the Western Isles, Campbeltown, Prestwick and Oban. All airports in Northern Ireland remain inside the no-fly zone during this period.

DannyKelly22
16th May 2010, 15:39
TXC BFS - REUS now rescheduled for 8am departure tomorrow and returning at 14.20pm as long as Belfast opens in the morning.

ANTAYLA flight also rescheduled for tomorrow. Must mean TC have an extra aircraft operating from BFS tomorrow.

IOMspotter
16th May 2010, 17:56
sorry but no chance of Belfast reopening tomorrow morning judgeing on latest ash forecast. Roll on Tuesday.

True Blue
18th May 2010, 13:24
I see the press release on Jet2 has been amended, Lanzarote and Tunisia no longer showing.

True Blue

True Blue
18th May 2010, 22:00
I see Aegeanflights are operating a full programme to Bodrum and Dalaman for S11 from Bfs. This year, they are just doing peak season to Dalaman.

True Blue

BFS101
18th May 2010, 22:49
After Easyjet operating a winter ski charter to Brescia for DirectSki last year, this year EZY are operating to Zurich, again for DirectSki. From the 19 Dec, through to 19 March 2011, Saturdays.

BFS 14.00 - 17.45 ZRH 18.20 - 20.05 BFS

Also would appear that Inghams have taken an allocation on the Jet2Geneva from BFS, rather than operating their usual FlyBE flight from BHD.

True Blue, good news regarding Aegeanflights operating a full programme for summer 2011. Didn't realise they were the flight-only part of Holidays4u, both Bodrum and Dalaman 2011 operated by Onur, though is the Bodrum season long?

gate 22
19th May 2010, 09:28
Also would appear that Inghams have taken an allocation on the Jet2 Geneva from BFS, rather than operating their usual FlyBE flight from BHD

How can that be true, a European route possibly curtailed at BHD. Why would this happen as according to BHD, Virgin, Air France, BA, SN, China Airlines are all waiting on the runway extension and would start tomorrow. The share holders of these airlines are all on the edge of their seat in anticipation. Also Air India had to start from Dublin as the BHD runway extension went to a public inquiry, this is a temporary measure as they are going to set up a mega base at BHD with a world HQ building on top of the hotel. All when the runway happens.

BFS101
19th May 2010, 11:19
How can that be true, a European route possibly curtailed at BHD.

There will still be a FlyBE Geneva flight from BHD, just not one chartered by Inghams, think maybe by SkiDirect. As Inghams use BFS for their Austrian Airlines Innsbruck charter, it probably makes more sense for them to base their reps and staff just at one airport, rather than split between two. They may or may not have been able to alter their capacity to GVA by utilising the Jet2.com flight.

tigger2k8
19th May 2010, 16:59
im quite surprised that they wont be doing VBS again, it was very popular.. is this the first direct link from BFS to ZRH? or have there been flights in the past? i cant recall :}

david1994
20th May 2010, 21:02
Aer Lingus had the A321 on the LHR route today, EI0036, was the A320 tech?

ACARS mode: 2 Aircraft reg: EI-CPG [Airbus A321]
Message label: H1 Block id: 0 Msg no: D64A
Flight id: EI0036 [BFS-LHR] []

nrm2
21st May 2010, 14:30
must be a mistake - ei36/37 was operated by EI-DEA

EI-CPG was doing LHR out of dublin - the 175 and the 184

:)

BFS101
27th May 2010, 15:53
Continental Celebrates 5 years at BFS

News - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news/3/196/continental-airlines-celebrates-fifth-anniversary.html)

tigger2k8
28th May 2010, 09:04
Well expect a few minor delays at bfs for the next 3 weeks, part of the taxiway is closed behind stand 24, which means aircraft that land via 25 and dont make bravo, if available, have to backtrack to reach stands 9-22, also means aircraft wanting to take off from 25 that are pushed from stands 25-29+f stands need to go down 07,come out via bravo and them taxy to 25... Lets hope they get it up and running before then end of june when flights increase

david1994
4th Jun 2010, 14:44
Hi, QS (Smart Wings) will be doing the PMI run for TCX on Tuedays, departing at 07:55 and returning at 14:35. And on Saturdays departing at 17:50 and returning at 00:20 on sundays. So 3 PMI departures on the Tuesday and Saturday :ok: Flight will be operated using the B737-500 :)

EI-BUD
6th Jun 2010, 09:45
Does anybody know why there were so many late departures and delay advised for later today at BFS? Weather seems ok? Seems a bit odd.

Torque2
6th Jun 2010, 22:46
Reactionary times for delayed departures this morning.

Danmadole
7th Jun 2010, 08:06
Further delays this morning with the Thomson arrival from Bodrum showing on the website as "diverted"???
Liverpool EZY cancelled.

tigger2k8
7th Jun 2010, 13:15
EI-Bud, yesterdays delays caused by 2 tech EZY aircraft, which caused a lot of shuffling around of flights and crews etc etc, todays delays are a knock on effect of yesterday due to crew hours... as for other airlines i dont know

Husky One
7th Jun 2010, 16:00
Much as I have supported the BFS cause in the past I have to say that at present BFS is an embarrassment to aviation. Ok so they're developing the terminal albeit about 5 years too late but whoever is making the decisions up there needs a P45 and quick.
During winter when the movements were few and far between was there any visible maintenance going on? Behave. Now that the place is rammed they go and close the link taxiway! Somebody needs glasses if they didn't see that coming before peak season. As for the airborne picture (or lack thereof) they decide to replace the primary radar at the same time! To add insult , because Micky Marley has a microlight on his farm outside the zone nobody is allowed to do visual approachs onto 07 from the south. Add about 200kgs per approach and 5 mins for a medium twin jet because flight crews can not be trusted to look out the front windows anymore. As for other improvements.. a VOR approach that is more offset than the old one and a CDA that has speed control on it that strangely enough LTMA airports seem to cope without. Stalin is alive and well and settling into his new career by the lough :hmm:

speedbirdATC
7th Jun 2010, 16:45
To add insult , because Micky Marley has a microlight on his farm outside the zone nobody is allowed to do visual approachs onto 07 from the south. Add about 200kgs per approach and 5 mins for a medium twin jet because flight crews can not be trusted to look out the front windows anymore. As for other improvements.. a VOR approach that is more offset than the old one and a CDA that has speed control on it that strangely enough LTMA airports seem to cope without.

Surely Mickey Marley and his microlight should know to keep well, well clear of the 07 approach at all times including the visual circuits?

I had asked previously on here as to why there is no 07 ILS. The answer given was that a hanger was in the way of the LOC signal. My second part to that question wasn't answered, as I was curious to know why there cant be an Offset ILS installed for 07? Is there a seperate reason for that or is this one mighty big hanger that is blocking all signals lol:)

ILS25
7th Jun 2010, 20:15
Husky One,

I have to agree with you that management at BFS is a total joke and embarassment. The decent people who work there, the paying passengers and the airlines deserve better and in the right hands BFS would be a fantastic airport. But in the hands of TBI / Abertis it will never happen.

P.S The new set down area is due to open by next month. You will have to pay £1 into a coin basket to exit the set down- no free time. Just another reason for passangers to prefer the airport down the road.

Well done John, well done !!! :D

tigger2k8
8th Jun 2010, 11:09
Well, what an interedting morning with the diversions. Especially with the construction going on, can't blame them for charging at the set down, have to make money!

eastconsbrook
8th Jun 2010, 11:18
you get 10 min free at bhd and that made the tele!! the bbc will have field day! next stop charging to use tat big escalator:{
Mr J D must be doing an albert and running the customers down the road to bhd

eastconsbrook
8th Jun 2010, 11:21
i am genuinely sorry for the staff. good luck

SKY's4ME
8th Jun 2010, 11:37
The recent 'imporvements' are welcome but fall short of what passengers expect! the 3 mile saunter to Aircraft in snow, hail and rain is most unwelcome and a poor PR image of NI Plc.

Its high time some real dollars have to be spent in giving the passengers a better service, no wonder their biggest customer/operator Easyjet are courting other options.

BFS now stands at an akward cross road and the management hold the wheel on which way it will travell...

BFS101
8th Jun 2010, 11:41
Is this becoming the norm now to charge for using the set-down areas at airports, do Leeds and Newcastle also charge for this, maybe I'm wrong??

People will ultimately try and avoid this charge, and will just lead to chaos around the airport, cars randomly pulling in to the side of the road to let the folks out. Like the muppets who still park and wait for arrivals at the roundabout towards the main car park at BHD rather than entering the set-down zone!!

My two most recent flights, both departing through BHD, and have to say a very pleasant and smooth experience, especially at security. Maybe my imagination, but the security staff at BFS usually have an atrocious attitude, like on a real power trip! Terminal at BHD is excellent, although no coffee or tea from Lavazza on Friday morning???

ESCNI
8th Jun 2010, 12:16
Liverpool Airport's drop-off/pick-up car park is free (for the first 10 minutes) and is about 100m from the terminal doors (when they are working!).

...unless, you are a taxi. :mad:

gate 22
8th Jun 2010, 13:21
You will have to pay £1 into a coin basket to exit the set down- no free time. Just another reason for passangers to prefer the airport down the road.

What BFS should do is concentrate on getting passenger numbers up thus increasing revenue, than introducing an annoying token tax for clients being dropped off. I mean probably alot of people will not even have a quid in their pocket when running someone to the airport and it will get their back up. What a stupid idea, is MOL on the board now.

ILS25
8th Jun 2010, 16:34
Tigger2k8. The real way for an airport to make money is to keep the passangers, airlines and staff happy and make the airport people friendly. BFS treat all three like s--- and will keep driving passengers (and more) down the road to Belfast City.

The £1 charge for simply dropping someone off will not only disgust the passenger but the good people (who are normally friends and family) doing them a favour. They will go home and quite rightly moan to everyone about the riduculous charge and the media is going to have a field day. This is not going to go down well with the public and will be another few nails knocked into the BFS coffin by Abertis.

I support BFS as my local airport but I am totally disgusted by the way it is being run.

Message to Mr J.D and Abertis. WISE UP you are slowly killing the place.

Message to anyone that agrees with me please post your thoughts, feelings and comments here and maybe it will be brought to the attention of someone that will do something about it !!!

BFS101
8th Jun 2010, 17:01
If all airports are going down this route, you can see why BFS would be tempted to follow and potentially increase revenue. Though if BHD decide not to impliment this, it could be a good marketing ploy to lure passengers away from BFS. From travel related website APH -

UK Airport Charges - APH.com (http://www.aph.com/news/knowbeforeyougo/uk_airport_charges.shtml)

Some airports such as London Luton are now charging drivers £1 for a 10 minute slot to drop passengers in front of the terminal.This is aimed at reducing terminal congestion and deterring the environmentally unfriendly practice known as “kiss and fly”. Other airports such as Birmingham Airport and Newcastle are also charging a £1 drop-off charge but for 15 minutes.

Charges are a bit swings and roundabouts though. I like to take my car to the airport, so not to bother family or friends, especially if the flight is delayed coming home. For a weekend away, pre-booking at BFS is £4 per day in lond-stay, whereas at BHD last weekend I was charged £23 from Friday morning to Saturday evening in the long-stay, plus a little more for paying by debit card at the machine. I really begrudge that paying difference. I wouldn't dream of leaving my car at BHD for a week or more while away, yet at BFS can be fairly reasonable.

tigger2k8
8th Jun 2010, 17:43
ILS25, yes thats the obvious answer, and passenger numbers should be slightly better than expected this year, although the ash cloud has probably caused around 100,000 PAX less... the whole idea of a business is to make as much money as possible, an airport is a business... airports have been hit hard by the recession then closely followed by the ash cloud... that and throwing money into investments in the airport over the last 5 years (although little of the last 5 years investments are visable to passengers..) they have to get money back somehow.. if you want to send your view across to the airport, i advise you putting it in writing and posting it in, as that goes through "offical" channels..

EZY, who had their morming LTN-BHD divert to BFS today will be grateful of an airport close by, as will FR, BE and BMI... whoever was in the air traffic control tower earned every penny (and more) of their wages today, with all aircraft choosing 07 and the only way to get there is via bravo and travel down 25.... even looking at it all was headache material

eastconsbrook, no more crazy rumors these days?... i wouldn't feel sorry for the staff, id feel sorry for the person who makes decisions :ok: they will be sweating a little that all goes to plan, if they cant get the drain repair work finished by the time all the summer charters kick in, it will be very... very interesting

sky's4me, i agree with the hike to the likes of stand 14 or 15 in bad weather, not very pleasant, once the main terminal area has been upgraded i think its their plan to start construction on the pier, however it could be as long as 2013 before its operational....... even if the pier does take that long to come around, by the end of the year or early next year the marshalling and bus driving is to be handed over to the handling agents, so on bad weather days busses will be more available as its no longer up to the airport to find one of their staff to drive them.... the plans BFS have for the future will surely turn it into a modern day airport, sadly the management is hesitating about spending money until the airline business gets back to normal..

each airport has its good and bad points, sort of equals out... probably a good thing both BHD and BFS exist, as it supports a little bit of competition:E

Torque2
8th Jun 2010, 17:51
Tigger with all aircraft choosing 07

all the aircraft 'chose' 07 because there is a tailwind limit of 10 kts for most and the wind exceeded that limit. It would not have been possible to operate both ends due to 180 degree turns not being allowed other than at the turning circles at the runway thresholds so under the operating restrictions ATC coped very well even with the go-arounds on top of the steady stream of diversions.

tigger2k8
9th Jun 2010, 06:53
I wasn't saying atc was doing a bad job or anything, I was pointing out that they definately had a lot of work to do yesterday making sure things went smoothly, choosing wasn't the best word to use though, I understand that the runways are selected depending on winds

samsara
9th Jun 2010, 14:43
There is no doubt conditions at bfs go from bad to worse As the "international" airport for ni the place is a disgrace As someone who has the pleasure of flying pax in from all over europe and indeed the world the first sight of that gruesome ramshackle terminal is to say the least embarrising.As for the taxiway closure approaching the busiest time of the year when there as been months of nothing going on - what is there left to say?

tigger2k8
11th Jun 2010, 19:23
Well a jet2, I'm assuming the LBA flight has damaged 2 of its main gear tyres landing, was able to come on stand under its own power.

Expect some news on some new routes by EZY, for winter / just after new year, some probably will be charters

victoria73
11th Jun 2010, 19:42
the work on the taxi way is well ahead of schedule should be finished week or two as for the set down first ten minutes are free to set down or pick passengers up Ezy had meeting few weeks ago happy with there Bfs operation so rumours of any more movement to Bhd untrue.

do we know what the new Ezy routes are going to be.

True Blue
13th Jun 2010, 19:57
I see further cancellations again at Bfs this evening by Easyjet. I am a frequent Ezy user, but I am beginning to wonder what this airline is playing at. This frequent cancellation of services is beginning to create doubts in my mind and others will be doing the same. If Ezy management do not see these problems and are not taking action to sort it, then in the long run Ezy will be in trouble.

True Blue

tigger2k8
14th Jun 2010, 12:19
the problem is that the standby crews that EZY would normally have active at this time of year are away being trained on the airbus, this includes both flightdeck and cabin crew as far as im aware,... so last week when there was 2 aircraft that went tech and created big delays that threw everything out of balance and messed up crew hours, currently EZY are using staff from other bases when there are problems with crew hours, but they are not staying in Belfast, instead being brought in on flights when needed...

who knows why it was left so late to train them could be poor planning or waiting for a space on courses or something else..

BFS101
14th Jun 2010, 15:41
It was mentioned that reinstating a direct Canada link was a big priority for the airport, with this year and last, the first period for ages with no direct flights. With having muliple Zoom flights per week to Toronto, Vancouver, and for a time Halifax, Air Transat, Skyservice and FlyGlobespan in years past to zero now is completely unacceptable.

Well Canadian Affair have launched their 2011 programme using Air Transat and Thomas Cook, and no flights from Belfast. Other UK regional airports are featured inc Newcastle, Exeter. This is really a bit of an embarrassment in my opinion. Anyone got any information on how the search for a direct Toronto / Vancouver link is progressing?

ILS25
14th Jun 2010, 18:05
victoria 73. Regarding the new set down I heard that you will drive in, set down, and throw a pound into a coin basket on the way out to raise the barrier. No ticket system will be in operation as it is only a through road and is not going to be in the car park (like BHD), so therefore no free time.

You may be right about the first 10 minutes but I can't see how they could do it if there are no parking spaces and no ticket system in operation.

BTW, The rumour is that BHD are also going to bring a similar scheme into operation, but are waiting until BFS do it first so thay take all the fleck from the media, Stephen Nolan etc etc. They then will sneak their scheme in later after the dust has settled.

Don't quote me on any of the above as I can only go with what I hear on the grapevine.:)

dublinaviator
15th Jun 2010, 00:39
I can't see Air Transat starting flights to Belfast given that they've expanded capacity in Dublin and Shannon. Tbh I think Belfast's only hope of any new long-haul connections will come from Aer Lingus, but they're unlikely to expand their long-haul network anytime soon, and I'm sure won't consider any long-haul routes from Belfast until the Irish economic situation has improved enough.

BFS101
15th Jun 2010, 13:35
While Air Transat expand from Dublin, there is still a huge demand, both inward and outbound from Northern Ireland to Canada. Zoom, while it came so a sorry end, showed just how much demand (potentially very price sensitive) there was with year round Toronto, Vancouver and a limited Halifax programme. Belfast has had a Canadian link for probably appraoching 20 years or more, with Air Canada operating 747, 767 and L1011's in the past, along with a whole string of different carriers.

Like Zoom, Globespan and Skyservice came to a sorry end, although with Globespan the tour operator, rather than the airline, operated from Belfast for many successful years using Air Transat with multiple flights per week.

While a scheduled service would be excellent, and hopefully EI may consider in the future, what we need in the short term is to get a consolidator or tour operator, like Canadian Affair or American Holidays, to restart this route.

True Blue
15th Jun 2010, 14:52
I see within the last day, Goldtrail has either replaced a large number of OHY flights with TRK, or added the TRK as extra flights. This is odd as it seems to be a very last minute decision. These are flights to Bodrum. Anyone any news on this?

True Blue

dublinaviator
15th Jun 2010, 15:52
While Air Transat expand from Dublin, there is still a huge demand, both inward and outbound from Northern Ireland to Canada. Zoom, while it came so a sorry end, showed just how much demand (potentially very price sensitive) there was with year round Toronto, Vancouver and a limited Halifax programme.

Yeh thats a fair point, but you also have to acknowledge that while there is a definitely a market there, most Canadians (like Americans) are visiting the whole of Ireland, not just 1 part of it, and Air Transat are obviously focusing their capacity in Dublin and Shannon in that regard. You say yourself the Zoom flights were price sensitive, and we know now that they were low yielding flights for Zoom, and it doesn't matter if they were able to fill the planes, they weren't making money from the flights. Also many of the flights Zoom operated from BFS, only connected through Belfast and actually originated in the UK, so you can't really use load factor as an indicator of the potential market size for a Belfast-Canada connection.

So again, while there is definitely a market there, its not just for Belfast, but for the whole island.

BFS101
15th Jun 2010, 16:20
Most Canadians (like Americans) are visiting the whole of Ireland, not just 1 part of it, and Air Transat are obviously focusing their capacity in Dublin and Shannon in that regard.

That is true of some I'm sure, but many, in fact the most I hear from are visiting family and friends, in both Northern Ireland or Canada. Northern Ireland originating passengers who want to visit family, I'm sure would much rather have the option of a BFS flight rather than Dublin, or as many also do, connect in LHR with Air Canada from BHD.

Again passengers originating in Canada with relatives / friends in NI, where their family have to drive to DUB, rather than the convenience of a BFS flight, or have to connect on the mainland. With family and cultural links between NI and Canada, (as with the ROI and USA), in my opinion would certainly give enough sustainable demand for at least a weekly flight, if not realistically more, as proven by the years of direct flights up until now. If relatives are coming home from Canada every year or two to visit in Northern Ireland, I doubt they'd be trekking around the whole of Ireland each visit.

Now while I have no information on the profitablilty of the BFS zoom flights, I believe thay started with a BFS-YHZ-YYZ, then went to two per week, the second originating in Cardiff, and also added a Vancouver link, also originating in Cardiff. In more recent years the YYZ and YVR operated year round. I would imagine that zoom saw some profit or reason for adding this capacity from Belfast.

Whether BFS got a dedicated flight, or shared with another UK airport (like the SNN DUB or NCL EXT combinations), I'm positive sustainable demand would be there, especially from the VFR traffic.

tigger2k8
16th Jun 2010, 13:58
this weeks EZY delays were due to air traffic strikes, last weeks were crew hours... just to seperate the 2 different sets of delays..

as for Air Transit, it was mentioned they had an interest in BFS but were looking for a subsidy to start operating, either they didn't get a subsidy or it hasn't been announced, but this was all rumored for 2011... so if the schedules are out and theres no mention of BFS, doesnt look good... id love a flight to Canada, some family over there... wouldn't mind heading over every year or 2... last time i went it was with GSM... but not its either go to LHR or jump in the car :rolleyes:

eastern wiseguy
16th Jun 2010, 14:06
FRENCH ATC strikes less someone thinks of blaming me!!:=:p

ards_boy
19th Jun 2010, 01:00
BFS is most certainly one of the worst and most unnecesarily restrictive airport I have seen I reckon some third world countries could easily give EGAA a run for its money!
The management should be taken to the likes of LHR or JFK and be shown how a proper and efficient airport is run!
I think the penny is starting to drop for customers of all breeds, you don't have to go far to find passengers who have many complaints about it and for crew coming in from other bases it is an embarassment! :mad: :ugh::suspect:

Rant over ......

victoria73
21st Jun 2010, 11:13
reference to question being asked about flights being avilable in 2011 to toronto airlines such as air transat and also a few other long haul airlines are asking for start up subsidy in reference to airlines bringing in crew from other airports to bfs during summer well thats up to the airline nothing to do with the airport management as what ards boy suggests

BFS101
21st Jun 2010, 13:28
Would seem that EI have decided on their full winter schedule from Belfast. Barcelona is going to be operated X3 week, to replace Munich that operated last winter.

Surprised that they went for BCN, in competition with Easyjet that is up to X4 week over the winter. Would have thought Rome would even have been a better bet, if not going to introduce a new destination. Must feel their forward booking for the autumn are strong.

Pity we couldn't get a weekly Agadir like Dublin, with Thomson or Cook's taking allocation.

dublindispatch
21st Jun 2010, 13:35
BCN probably tied in with a Tour Operator offering sking in Andorra and getting an allocayion of seats on EI rather than going to the expense of chartering an entire a/c

GAXLN
21st Jun 2010, 13:39
Could it be that operating from Dublin is more attractive to Air Transat as they are not confronted with the high levels of Air Passenger Duty (APD) that apply in Northern Ireland? Yes, there is APD ex Dublin but I believe this is 10 euros c£8.40. From Northern Ireland APD is currently £45 to Canada and will be £60 from November assuming of course that tomorrow's budget does not increase it still further...... pefectly rational decision by Air Transat it appears to me. Meanwhile, Northern Ireland airports and passengers lose out.

david1994
21st Jun 2010, 16:02
A Jet 2 flight on approach to BFS was just blinded by a green laser (2355) 13 miles out from the approach track to runway 25.

I am guessing that would be somewhere around Carrick,Ballynure,Ballyclare area?

Pilot gave approx position to the tower and approach;information has been passed to the Police.

Hope they catch the morons and Tasar them in the goolies.

tigger2k8
22nd Jun 2010, 12:05
im surprised too about BCN, but as dublindispatch has said, probably a tour company...

a large portion of the Britains Got Talent live tour group arrived in BFS last night from LGW, even though their venue is the Odyssey, and no doubt their hotel is in the City itself

the flights to turkey are really kicking off this year again, 2 turkuaz airlines aircraft and Onur Air, as well as i think a First Choice (although the original aircraft went tech) and a tcx flight, again one of their aircraft went tech both with replacements coming in

aircraft no longer have to take a tour of their airport now, as all the construction work on the drains is finished until the end of the summer rush

ards_boy, theres also certain third world airports, infact some not even third world that make BFS look like LHR.. as for crew problems, nothing to do with BFS itself, thats EZYs fault....

The EZY schedule for Winter looks the same as 2009... 5 base aircraft

EI Schedule - Winter 2010

So heres the schedule for EI so far, some return bookings are not available yet:

Note that December has a slightly different schedule, looks like ALC and FCO are getting dropped, which allows the schedule to run on 2 Base aircraft

BFS-BCN
Dep: 0640
Arr: 1025

BCN-BFS
Dep: 1105
Arr: 1255

Tu,Th,Sa
----

BFS-ACE
Dep: 0640
Arr: 1110

ACE-BFS
Dep: 1155
Arr: 1610

M,W,F,SU
----

BFS-AGP
Dep: 1650
Arr: 2055

AGP-BFS
Dep: 2135
Arr: 2345

M,W,F,Su

----

BFS-TFS
Dep: 1340
Arr: 1815

TFS-BFS
Dep: 1900
Arr: 2330

Tu,Th,Sa

----

BFS-LHR
Dep: 0720
Arr: 0850

Dep: 1300
Arr: 1420

Dep: 1730
Arr: 1850

LHR-BFS

Dep: 0930
Arr: 1055

Dep: 1510
Arr: 1635

Dep: 1945
Arr: 2110

----seems like quite a smart line up to me, all the winter sun destinations and of course LHR, hopefully the above is right and i have not missed anything :}

Tower Ranger
22nd Jun 2010, 23:41
I think they should also Tase spotters listening in on airband and believing that they understand what ATC are doing! Also a double Tase down yonder for the mindless posters of ailine timetables and delays..............

ards_boy
23rd Jun 2010, 10:59
I was not refering to Ezy crews when I was saying BFS is an enbarrasment? I was refering generally to crew not based in BFS with any airline..... Why are you defending BFS like a schoolboy if you work here as you clearly do the layout, procedures and presentation of the airport are mad / not on par with typical UK airports. If you think improvements are not needed you are nuts or related to JD! Lol

tigger2k8
23rd Jun 2010, 13:17
i actually work at both airports which ive stated before, although for the last 4 months i havn't seen BHD at all... i dont disagree that BFS needs work done to it but it most certainly isn't third world, i often see the areas that passengers dont see and well the technology is primitive and im amazed that its still running, the majority of it will be put to the test over the next 2 months :ouch:

the only reason i am partly defending it is because they are actually starting to spend a little bit of money doing things and it wont be an overnight transformation... it will be years before we see BFS brought into modern times, but the areas they have already renovated do look good, brighten the place up and more importantly bring it out of the 1960s:8

Abertis just does not want to spend money, if they could legally hold the airport together with duct tape they would to save money:E

BFS101
30th Jun 2010, 12:54
New Drop off and Pick up arrangements from Wednesday 7th July 2010...

News - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news/3/198/new-drop-off-and-pick-up-arrangemenst-from-wednesday-7th-july-2010.html)

The drop off /pick up zone can be used for up to ten minutes and a charge of £1.00 will be made for each vehicle entering the area. For those driving to the airport and needing to park for longer than 10 minutes, the short stay car park adjacent to the drop off zone is the best option. In order to facilitate the new system we have doubled the time duration at the lowest rate in the short stay car park to encourage the use of this car park for those who need to stay for longer.

These new arrangements bring us into line with most other airports in the UK and will be in place from 00:01am on Wednesday 7th July 2010. Vehicle drivers will be able to make payment by cash or by using a credit or debit card.

ESCNI
30th Jun 2010, 13:18
...bring us into line with most other airports in the UK...
Now, is that really true?

It certainly doesn't even bring them into line with most other airports in Belfast.

:=

...and will they even be charging for leaving disabled or elderly passengers off?

EI-BUD
30th Jun 2010, 19:09
I use BFS alot and in the last year I have noticed more than ever (even without this £1 charge) the main route to the airport and the road close to the car parks sees loads of cars waiting for planes to land before they go to the terminal, even parking on double yellow lines. This will only become more common!

EI-BUD

ILS25
30th Jun 2010, 19:28
And the City airport are going to be taking the same £1 route when the dust settles at BFS.

Rinty
30th Jun 2010, 21:04
Good one ILS25 - slag off BHD for something that they havn't even done - objectivity reaches new levels :ok:

At BHD the set down area is 10 mins free and cars still stop all over the place - no idea how BFS are going to stop this happening

ILS25
30th Jun 2010, 21:17
Apologies, I didn't realize I was slagging anyone off. Just stating what I know. I don't agree with the charge as you can see in my previous posts and I was 100% right at what was going to happen at BFS and I am 100% right that it will happen at the city as well. Believe me, I know.

True Blue
30th Jun 2010, 21:17
If the comment by ILS25 is a statement of fact, how is that slagging off? Can we establish if he is correct first, or can you not accept any negative comments re BHD?

True Blue

Rinty
30th Jun 2010, 22:34
ILS - no idea where you are getting your information from but I know that there has definitely been no decision made on this. If you are stating that in your opinion based on past history of BHD management that you think this will happen then that is a different issue.

tigger2k8
30th Jun 2010, 23:32
Heard nothing myself while ive been in BHD about any sort of charges yet, although it wouldn't surprise me...

They will have to start enforcing traffic laws round BFS, as already said the amount of cars lined along the main roads to the airports is silly at the minute, its ok when people are on the hard shoulder, but some idiots stop on the main road, or pull in at the entrances to checkpoint 1 (soon moved on...) and budget returns......

BFS101
1st Jul 2010, 08:13
£1 charge at Belfast International Airport criticised

BBC News - £1 charge at Belfast International Airport criticised (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/10472739.stm)

If passengers are to pay a £1 fee to use the drop off/pick up zone, many will drop off on the surrounding roads to avoid the charge. This is turn will lead to more congestion outside the airport and further safety concerns as the numbers of passengers with luggage walking to and from the terminal will increase.

Very true, as tigger2k8 stated, the traffic law enforcement must now be stepped up, even for an intrim period to ensure bad practice and habits don't form, leading to longterm chaos.

Like most aspects of air travel today, businesses seem to follow the lowest denominator. If this measure is not completely unsuccessful, I could see other airports including BHD follow suit, as airlines, airports and associated business try and squeeze every last penny from the passenger.

Solar
3rd Jul 2010, 01:57
I wonder on the legality of the proposed one pound charge unless the road is actually owned by the airport which I assume it is and if it is, why is there PSNI on duty to ensure that people keep moving, do they get paid from the airport.
Whatever the legality of it I can't see it being a good move and it's not for the value of the pound but more to do with the traffic congestion on the roads to the airport and those eldery/disabled passengers as has already been mentioned.
If this is applied and catches on where will it stop, schools charging to let you drop the kids off, pubs, supermarkets charging to allow wife/taxi to stop outside!!!!
I use the airport on a monthly basis and it's awkward enough coordinating the taxi with my exit time from the airport at the moment. I usually just phone the taxi which is normally waiting up the road a bit and then walk towards the roundabout while he drives through.
The romance of air travel is jaded enough without this.

eastern wiseguy
3rd Jul 2010, 08:58
The police at the airport are the "airport police" not the PSNI.

Aaron9890
3rd Jul 2010, 12:45
I agree that we need a new connection to Canada and Belfast needs more connections with more airlines. What i think would be great to see and would solve these problems is starting an airline from Northern Ireland ... which could start of domestic routes and then as it gets larger international routes could be introduced. This is very unlikley to happen as you need a lot of money to start off , but England have many airlines, Scotland have a few, Wales is starting flyforbeans and even Isle of Man have their own airline... we are the only U.K country that doesn't.

Aaron9890
3rd Jul 2010, 12:58
New Holiday route from Belfast City! Thomas cook Belgium have announced scheduled flights to Reus. Thoughts??????

and i just found this.... did this ever happen or is it still in progress

fly thomas cook | Thomas Cook launches direct flights from Belfast Airport to Las Vegas (http://book.flythomascook.com/press/thomas-cook-launches-flights-to-vegas/)

Kestrel_909
3rd Jul 2010, 17:54
BFS-LAS did happen in 2008, can't remember how popular it was, but did not return in 2009 or this summer.

vectors
3rd Jul 2010, 20:29
Of subject slightly :bored: but I noticed on the arrival and departures board on the BFS website an airline with a code beginning with Q S . What is this airline? Thanks

odyseus
3rd Jul 2010, 21:02
QS are Smart Wings there are doing some work for Thomas Cook.

vectors
3rd Jul 2010, 21:58
Thanks for that reply:D do you know if midland are doing charters this season on behalf of falcon etc?