PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

autobrake3
15th Oct 2008, 11:01
Typical EZY tosh. Wind everybody into a nervous frenzy for nothing. Bet the guy who hedged 48% of fuel at $125 gets a fat bonus.

seagull
15th Oct 2008, 11:03
I heard 50% at 122.550.$ per tonne
Dont know how long for though??
Its mentioned on L.S.E. easyjet page to the city in a forecast.Dunno why we dont hedge the other 50% at $80 then we know what we have to do,winters coming after all.:sad::eek:

Air Mail
15th Oct 2008, 11:05
Oil may be $80 barrel but jet a1 is still way over $110 barrel

befree
15th Oct 2008, 11:14
Airlines seem to hedge only 90% of expcted need. I guess they can then chamge their flying programme and vary slightly how much they uplift to manged cost/profitablity. Getting hedging wrong can be very costly but FR made some good profits on getting it near perfect in the past. What we see are spot prices and it is likely not to be possible to hedge at those rates. At the end of the trading period the market may be short (price spikes to $147) or have more than is needed (price dips to $77). Look at NYMEX.com (http://www.nymex.com) for long term rates.

davidjohnson6
15th Oct 2008, 11:18
The purpose of hedging is to give a company certainty over its costs. Thus, you know what your costs are going to be, and can plan which aircraft to fly or not, with a better idea of what routes will or won't be profitable.

Only the oil majors (e.g. Shell, BP, Exxon) by virtue of both digging it out the ground and selling it both retail and wholesale have good information about oil. An airline like Easyjet is not meant to be trying to actively make money out of trading oil - and shareholders get very upset if they think you are doing so.

The decision as to whether to hedge should be taken by someone at least as senior as the CFO - ideally including reference to the CEO. If not (and it's a sign of very poor corporate governance), the bloke who is making a judgment call ends up making big bets on the price of oil. If he gets it wrong and he expects to get fired for a wrong guess, it's very tempting to play double-or-quits. Then he doubles up again. Pretty soon, you end up with Nick Leeson betting al the firm's money and the company going bust.

If an investor wants to buy shares in a short-haul European airline, Easyjet is a good candidate. If they want someone to buy and sell oil for them, there are plenty of hedge funds who'll happily do it for you !

Young Paul
15th Oct 2008, 11:39
I understand that hedging doesn't matter hugely if the price falls. If you are hedged at (say) $120, and the market is (say) $80, you just sacrifice the 10% of the contract and buy at $92 (Market + 10% of hedge price). Yeah, not as good as if you hadn't hedged - but on the other hand, if the market were at $160, you could buy for $120.

Unhedged, if the market varies between $80 and $160, you pay between $80 and $160. Hedged, you pay between $92 and $120. Which one looks better from a financial planning point of view? - especially if you know you can expect to break even over the year at $120, but not at $160 ...

Binder
15th Oct 2008, 11:56
There are different hedging strategies.

Easy has already purchased 50% of next years jet kerosene at $1225 per tonne.

Present price around $750 per tonne.

Unless I am mistaken, this is a huge clanger!

Binder

jetjockey737
15th Oct 2008, 12:36
Hedging at 1225 a tonne is a huge mistake...however the person who made that decision will keep their job. No wonder times are hard when they drop b******s like that!!

andrewmcharlton
15th Oct 2008, 12:56
St Nicholas

"NCL Base Captain resigned position couple of weeks ago.No replacement yet. Cabin Crew manager BRS Based. Economic downturn traditionally effects the NE more than most areas. W patterns mentioned. Cabin crew random roster being implimented. Not looking good for NCL."

What utter bolleaux.

The economic downturn AFFECTS us no more or less than anyone else in this part of the world and it's EFFECTS are generally being felt harder in financial capitals and not "up north".

airborne_artist
15th Oct 2008, 13:01
Economic downturn traditionally effects the NE more than most areas.

being felt harder in financial capitals

And Northen Rock's HQ is in ....

BBC lunchtime news showed unemployment up more in NE England than elsewhere, including London.

BlueRay
15th Oct 2008, 13:05
I don't know where you get yor facts from, but BA did indeed sell their franchise airways to easyjet. Why because they couldn't run it profitably. I guess it's another 100 million that help make British Airway's magic 10% profit margin!

BA sells GB franchise to Easyjet (CORRECTION) - Business Traveller (http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-sells-gb-franchise-to-easyjet)

Lucky if next year isn't a -10% loss margin. Then sometimes I wonder if BA actually have this as a real business target.

Good to see nothing 'major' being announced with easyjet. I fly with them next Wednesday!

mr ripley
15th Oct 2008, 13:16
Blue Ray

Have you even taken the time to read your link.

It explains why you are wrong, again.

Ivor Fynn
15th Oct 2008, 14:16
Blueray,

Get your facts right - GB Airways (Gaggero-Bland Airways) was sold by the Gaggero family (who owned the airline) not BA. GB were simply a franchise of BA.:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Ivor

Ametyst2
15th Oct 2008, 14:17
BlueRay, you are so wrong again!!!!!

Read the article in Business Traveller properly and go to the bottom of the article and you will read the following

Correction: As stated below by one of our readers, GB Airways has in fact been sold to Easyjet by The Bland Group, resulting in the termination of BA's franchise with GB.

The headline is wrong! BA are not selling anything. The Bland Group (who own GB Airways) are selling the airline to easyJet. BA's franchise with GB Airways (which might well have gone at the renewal date for the franchise) is being withdrawn with the sale.

wiggy
15th Oct 2008, 14:17
I have to ask - did someone at BA drop you onto your head when you were a small child? I only ask because you seem to be transfixed/obsessed with BA to such an extent that you manage to bring your BA bashing party act into an Easyjet thread.

cesare.caldi
15th Oct 2008, 16:05
On sale new italian domestic routes:

FCO-BRI 2x daily from 5 december
FCO-PMO 2x daily from 5 december

Seljuk22
15th Oct 2008, 16:20
Finally, FCO-PMO and FCO-BRI (both 2x daily, start 5th Dec.) bookable now. Was this the reason for the meeting?

andrewmcharlton
15th Oct 2008, 16:50
Re Northern Rock as mentioned earlier:

Would that be the bank that paid back 57% of its bailout money already and on track to clear its liabilities by end of '09 as the city and other banks around the UK take a plunge?

It pays not to make generalise sweeping statements like the original poster of that remark as it's simply inaccurate.

Incidentally according the the ONS the North East's quarterly change was less than most areas.

Might be worth just keeping it on the original thread per chance. It's bad enough crap rumours relating to aviation without adding economics to the mix wouldn't you say?

flyer4life
15th Oct 2008, 17:40
andrewmcharlton

The economic downturn AFFECTS us no more or less than anyone else in this part of the world and it's EFFECTS are generally being felt harder in financial capitals and not "up north".

Indeed. And while we're on that subject, it should be "ITS effects" :ok:

cesare.caldi
15th Oct 2008, 22:12
Yes, plane based in FCO but crew from MXP in overnight

Seljuk22
16th Oct 2008, 13:02
@ cesare.caldi: There is 1 plane from MXP overnight in FCO, right? The next day at 07.45 that plane goes back to MXP. But what about the new PMO flight at 07.10? :confused: There have to be 2 planes overnight in FCO or 1 a/c is based in FCO.

cesare.caldi
16th Oct 2008, 22:20
Italian press report Easyjet will open FCO base with 10 plane based by the end of 2009, soon start recruiting for new FCO cabin crew.

cesare.caldi
16th Oct 2008, 22:23
There have to be 2 planes overnight in FCO or 1 a/c is based in FCO. One plane overnight from MXP and one based at FCO but for now operated by MXP based cabin crew.

MUFC_fan
16th Oct 2008, 22:32
Soon to become the talking point of the Aviation world!

Italy is mostly likely to be smashed open as U2 and LH have either announced or have blatently started to move into AZ's two main cities. FR and Air One will almost certainly be 'upping the anty' over the next few months.

Good luck to U2! Sounds like a HUGE expansion but I wish them all the good will in the world. Give the Italians a good British, organised airline!:O;)

The eyes turn to Italy....

Seljuk22
17th Oct 2008, 08:25
Thanks, now I understand and good news for FCO. U2 have great plans at FCO. I think there will be also more than 15 planes (now 11, 15 in 2009) in MXP in 2009.

neuer
18th Oct 2008, 09:52
@ seljuk 22 : MXP got already 13 a/c!

Seljuk22
18th Oct 2008, 10:54
You see, the expansion is too fast for me :)
New froute: 12th Feb CDG-BCN 12x weekly :ok:

Seljuk22
19th Oct 2008, 10:30
There are rumours that AZ will close a lot of routes out of MXP (AMS, GVA, NAP, CTA, PMO, BRI...) and FCO (to MUC, TXL, VIE, ZRH, LIS...).
If it is true EZY should come soon!

Bubair
19th Oct 2008, 14:30
There are rumours that AZ will close a lot of routes out of MXP (AMS, GVA, NAP, CTA, PMO, BRI...) and FCO (to MUC, TXL, VIE, ZRH, LIS...).
If it is true EZY should come soon!

Checking on the Alitalia website some of the routes are still for sale and some are already off the market....the trend is to cut routes in November to keep the costs down....who knows what will happen later with the new CAI??

I hope easyjet will jump into those routes asap!!

Bubair

Drink Up Thee Cider
20th Oct 2008, 11:51
I see Easy have binned the Jersey service from January. Anyone know if this is permanent?

25th Oct 2008, 08:53
Wouldn't surprise me, loads were never that good . . .

LondonCityBoy
25th Oct 2008, 13:24
Hi,

Does anyone happen to know roughly when these flights will be released for sale.

Also how many flights a day are there in the Summer as I take it there is more than the 1 return flight currently?

davidjohnson6
25th Oct 2008, 15:19
In recent years these have been released for sale in the first half of December. If you go to the Easyjet website, and click on the 'Timetables' link, you can see the exact times of flights for summer 2008, during which there were 5 flights on a Saturday

parky747
25th Oct 2008, 21:36
When are more routes to be announced for MAN base?

HEisLEGEND
26th Oct 2008, 21:39
AZ is closing operations in LIS on 1nov, i hope one of those FCO ezy planes is aiming this way..:E

Tomorrow big day in LIS, first day of the new LIS-FNC route, politicians, spotters and the tv on top of it, it´s a very significant and sensitive route for portugal.Hope it´s a huge success!

mikealpine
28th Oct 2008, 01:18
6057 BRS to AGP had to divert to Nantes for a passenger with a suspected heart attack. Arrived in Malaga only 1 hour 20 mins late. Friends travelling said it was handled very well, hope poor chap is ok.

pee
29th Oct 2008, 14:51
I was about to express my concern regarding the EZY's prospects in Sweden as it's initial reception in Stockholm (LF's and bookings) has been far from perfect so far. After all, the penetration of lcc's in Sweden is fairly high. However, the bankruptcy of Sterling could change the situation very radically. There are now several routes not served by low-cost carriers anymore. So, bad luck for some means opportunities for others.

Btw., one of the short-haul "monopoly" routes in the area is the popular (and expensive) ARL-HEL link. Both SAS and AY will certainly try to keep the fares high without a competition. Worth a try, presumably!

Concerning Finland, the first EZY route is set to start next Monday and the bookings look somewhat better here. One cannot forget that Finland is one of the countries with lowest low-cost carriers' penetration in the entire EU.

Last week the polls results have been published in Helsinki (the survey was ordered by easyJet) - and the results are:

More than 75 percent of Finns in general are dissatisfied with the current low-cost flights supply, among Finnish students only 16% said they were satisfied.

About half of the respondents would use more often low-cost airlines, if the supply was better.

The most of potential low-cost passengers could be derived from students, as well as directors and high-income senior representatives(!), only so called middle classes were somewhat less interested.

Finns want the same low-cost flight selection, as other Europeans enjoy.

"The message is clear, as the supply of low-cost flights in Finland remains very scarce. Low-cost carriers transport just 2 per cent of passengers from Helsinki while such a share in the entire EU is 34 percent on average", says easyJet's Regional Director Thomas Haagensen.

Only less than a quarter of all survey respondents consider the current supply of the low-cost airlines as sufficient. In addition, easy Jet study found out that the high incomes of Finnish passengers are no obstacle for them while choosing the airline.

The easyJet survey was conducted by TNS Group during 36 weeks, and it has received the answers of a total of 1,260 persons from different parts of Finland.

frelli
29th Oct 2008, 17:43
According to theAirDB:

News - 2008-10-29 Easyjet (http://www.theairdb.com/news/2008-10-29-easyjet.html)

Seljuk22
29th Oct 2008, 21:26
Additional a/c for CDG?
The new flights to BCN and BIA fit together: BCN double daily (morning and evening) and between (midday) BIA.

ReallyAnnoyed
30th Oct 2008, 19:06
Just announced on the website: From January 15th. 1 X daily LGW - CPH. Possible increase from summer programme.

jettesen
30th Oct 2008, 21:51
PEE - why has easyJets initial reception in sweeded been far from perfect so far?? Sources??

pee
31st Oct 2008, 18:54
(Sweden) far from perfect so far?? With EZY it's possible to book for max. 40 pax at a time. Last Tuesday you could book 40 tickets on both routes from Stockholm whatever date you've chosen (also for the same day flights). In spite of that the prices weren't high, so I'm sure there must have been even more free places on these flights. But look at the booking system now! Sterling's bankruptcy has boosted the sales! I wish EZY well in Scandinavia (especially in Finland, of course), so I'm glad EZY is advancing now.

Saral
4th Nov 2008, 12:25
Easyjet flights are on sale for next summer from Belfast, Bristol, East Midlands, Liverpool and Manchester, with London and Scotland to follow, what has happened to Newcastle? have we been lumped in with Scotland or.......?

ReallyAnnoyed
6th Nov 2008, 08:58
easyJet passenger statistics for October 2008

Below are the easyJet passenger statistics for October 2008.

Month ending....October 2008.......October 2007...Change
Passengers.......3,959,194............3,344,916............1 8.4%
Load Factor...........83.9%................82.5%.............1.4p p
Rolling 12 month ending...October 2008...October 2007...Change
Passengers.......................44,273,756.........37,639,6 40......17.6%
Load Factor.........................84.2%................83.7%... .......0.5pp

Drink Up Thee Cider
6th Nov 2008, 12:42
interesting enough but when are we going to see some financial results?

Seljuk22
6th Nov 2008, 13:46
In 2 weeks, 18.11.

Charlie Roy
6th Nov 2008, 16:33
Gatwick to Copenhagen now official.

parky747
6th Nov 2008, 23:58
Easyjet flights are on sale for next summer from Belfast, Bristol, East Midlands, Liverpool and Manchester, with London and Scotland to follow, what has happened to Newcastle? have we been lumped in with Scotland or.......?

Where are the new routes for MAN. Or is it just LGW, LGW and more LGW new routes. Maybe MAN may get a new LGW service to connect at LGW :ugh:

squeaker
7th Nov 2008, 06:31
Is it true Easy have flogged 5x A321's (originally destined for GB) to Monarch?

Skipness One Echo
7th Nov 2008, 12:19
As an aside, the latest A319s have no motto beneath the easyjet fuselage titles.
from - the webs favourite airline
to - come on lets fly
to perhaps - the economy's f***ed might as well have a weekend away?

flyer55
7th Nov 2008, 20:46
Can anybody tell me if easyjet are going to consolidate their operation into into terminal @ LGW ?

Reason asking I missed my flight as went to wrong terminal !

Seat62K
8th Nov 2008, 09:04
How did you miss your flight? :confused:(It only takes a few minutes to get from one terminal to the other.....)

Getoutofmygalley
8th Nov 2008, 10:10
Plus there are signs all over both terminals saying which flights go from which terminal (i.e. all domestic from South Terminal along with all flight numbers beginning with a 5 - North Terminal all flights beginning with an 8).

PLUS your booking itinerary would have clearly said which terminal to go from.

And signs on the M23 exits and along the local roads saying "Check your terminal, easyJet flights change from 30th March" or something like that :ugh:

Seat62K
8th Nov 2008, 13:31
Does anyone know the precise date on which summer flights from Stansted will be available for sale? (I want to make sure my Electron account has enough in it to cover a season's purchases:}!)
Many thanks.

davidjohnson6
8th Nov 2008, 17:08
If you sign up on the Easyjet website, they'll send you an email when seats go on sale. It is possible that the email may not go out on the exact day that seats are on sale - but you should receive the email at least within a few days.

Assuming your Electron card is tied to a bank account, the card shouldn't be the reason for needing to know the exact day that tickets go on sale - if you're transferring funds between 2 bank accounts in the UK, it's no longer necessary to wait 3 days for the money to go through - mention ' faster payment service' to your bank and they can do the rest.

If you want your card to be based with a bank, Halifax do an account with Electron which was intended for those who are unemployed and really don't want to go overdrawn accidentally.

Note to mods - I don't work for the Halifax - please feel free to delete the Halifax bit if this is deemed to be an overly commercial plug.

flyer55
8th Nov 2008, 18:10
The transit broke down between both terminals !

Personally I think it should be all in one terminal !

Skipness One Echo
8th Nov 2008, 18:28
There wasn't room I believe to move the entire GB operation into the South Terminal so quickly, hence the shuffle of route between the two. I know easyJet Switzerland went North.....

fl dutchman
8th Nov 2008, 21:04
According to Easyjet website Summer 09 from Stansted, Newcastle, Luton, EDI and Glasgow going on sale 11th Nov. Gatwick 1st December. ( subject to change ) But that info was just updated on Friday.

cesare.caldi
10th Nov 2008, 18:59
Any information about release date of MXP summer 2009 flights?

fl dutchman
10th Nov 2008, 19:12
Stansted, Luton, Newcastle, EDI,and GLA updated,now showing 12th November for release not 11th.

Goldilocks95
10th Nov 2008, 21:54
Anyone got any idea why there was an Easyjet aircraft at Dublin airport at approx 20:20? It was taxiing past as i was waiting to board and i have to say i was slightly cofused to see it there! Was it a divert or do Easyjet fly from Dublin secretly?!!!

orangetree
10th Nov 2008, 22:02
could be there on maintenance could be a div from BFS

pabely
11th Nov 2008, 09:17
Is it true Easy have flogged 5x A321's (originally destined for GB) to Monarch?

I think 3 have been sold, to be stored at LGW over winter and brought into service during the spring.

dgutte
11th Nov 2008, 12:05
"Stansted, Luton, Newcastle, EDI,and GLA updated,now showing 12th November for release not 11th."

Where is this info? I can't find it anywhere.

dgutte
11th Nov 2008, 12:50
found it.........

Mr @ Spotty M
11th Nov 2008, 16:56
"Pabely", as per communication from Tim Jeans to the pilots dated the 7th of this month, no board room decision has been made on the replacement of the 4 B757s.

pabely
11th Nov 2008, 17:39
Not what my source at EZY says.
Oh well, sure it will all come out in the fullness of time. Jethro's shows two due at MON.

cesare.caldi
11th Nov 2008, 17:59
found it.........

Where you find it?

orangetree
11th Nov 2008, 18:19
They havn't been sold (yet) but not for the want of trying along with several of their American steam-powered cousins.

Mr @ Spotty M
11th Nov 2008, 21:06
"Pabely" Yes l know Jethro's is reporting two from EZY but he has confirmed to me that his source is not from within Monarch.
"Orangetree" is correct in what he said "not yet" but one of the options being looked at is two from EZY.
I will be very surprised if it does not happen in the end, but a decision as pointed out has not yet been made, as one option is to not replace the 4 a/c leaving.

davidjohnson6
11th Nov 2008, 22:09
Cesare - click on "Contact us" at the top of the homepage, and then search for the string 'When do you release your summer 2009 schedule'

Pilotdom
12th Nov 2008, 19:18
Luton flights now on sale!

davidjohnson6
12th Nov 2008, 19:46
All you easyJet junkies - go ahead and start gorging yourself with your Electron cards for next summer... :}

Pilotdom
12th Nov 2008, 21:19
Not Electron, but used my EasyJet Credit Card for some flights to Vienna, only cost me £20 after using my points!:ok:

EI-BUD
12th Nov 2008, 21:30
Does anybody know on here whether Bristol/Toulouse on Friday evening will be a 319 or a 737?

Thanks
Ei bud

macuser
12th Nov 2008, 22:02
Does it really matter? Airbus a bit more roomy, 737 the workhorse. Over that limited length of flight, you really should relax...

Goldilocks95
12th Nov 2008, 22:33
i agree! not that it matters it will be an a319 as brs is an all airbus base except the ncl and bfs flights which dont nightstop and are both from 737 bases.

EI-BUD
13th Nov 2008, 08:52
macuser

Does it really matter? Airbus a bit more roomy, 737 the workhorse. Over that limited length of flight, you really should relax...

what do you mean does it really matter? I simply asked which one was it if anybody knew, as I am entitled to do and I get a smart answer back saying I really should relax...maybe you should relax, if a post such as mine affects you so much maybe you should not reply. This is what fascinates me about this forum, there are so many members who dive in with juvenile comments that are unnecessary. The majority of people on here know what the difference is between a 737 and a 319, so thanks for the update. I personally prefer a 737.

andrewmcharlton
13th Nov 2008, 16:27
There are also people who can't take a joke and jump in to launch an attack that really isn't warranted. Come on now kids.

eu01
13th Nov 2008, 18:17
Easyjet is cheaper than alternative carriers on the busiest European routes the majority of the time, according to a new poll.

The survey found the budget carrier was less expensive 79% of the time and that companies save over £100 on at least 35% of journeys.
But it also found that companies are ignoring their own rules and are wasting money by only booking Easyjet for 10% of journeys.

According to previous research, more than a third of companies adopt a “lowest logical fare” policy for European short haul travel. Therefore, it is clear that these policies are not being enforced fully, the airline claimed.

Easyjet commissioned ITM Research to conduct the independent price comparison study of business travellers.

(...)
The study was conducted on a random sample of 300 booked itineraries over a three month period between June and August and covered a basket of return fares across 22 European and UK routes from London.

The analysis included any negotiated fares with traditional airlines compared with the base Easyjet price plus speedy boarding and applicable fees and taxes.

The research also showed that when it came to UK domestic travel, the frequency of Easyjet schedules meant that on 90% of occasions it was shown to offer a cheaper alternative itinerary to the flight booked.

The airline’s UK regional general manager David Osborne said: “Once again easyJet debunks the myth that special sweetheart deals negotiated with the legacy airlines provide value for money – they don’t.
More details on travelmole.com (http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1132896.php)

PaulJ1957
14th Nov 2008, 20:18
Reported today.

By John Bowker LONDON, Nov 14 (Reuters) - EasyJet (LSE: EZJ.L (http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=EZJ.L) - news (http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/h?s=EZJ.L)) founder Stelios Haji-Ioannou raised his stake in the British (Advertisement)
http://view.atdmt.com/CCC/view/114284689/direct/01/?time=1226697244 (http://uk.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15cuu9gk2/M=200107388.201742460.202995877.200232932/D=ukie_finan/S=2022522772:LREC/Y=UKIE/EXP=1226704444/L=OzOxt9kMBhTNsM5PRGJdjQA9Vqb3QUkd6hwADEh./B=ZBk0AtkMBWE-/J=1226697244814480/A=200892843/R=1/SIG=122fo8d2o/*http://clk.atdmt.com/CCC/go/114284689/direct/01/?time=1226697244)
http://row.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=OzOxt9kMBhTNsM5PRGJdjQA9Vqb3QUkd6hwADEh.&T=14k8bka4l%2fX%3d1226697244%2fE%3d2022522772%2fR%3dukie_fin an%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3dHR%2fY%3dUKIE%2fF%3d547928172%2fG %3dCnVraWUKCg--%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d23060CD9&U=13otfnkp8%2fN%3dZBk0AtkMBWE-%2fC%3d200107388.201742460.202995877.200232932%2fD%3dLREC%2f B%3d200892843%2fV%3d1 low-cost airline and sought to appoint two new directors as he pressured the company's board to adopt a more cautious business strategy.
The carrier said on Friday that Stelios had increased his shareholding by around 11 percent and wanted the company to reduce an order for new planes and start paying a dividend in response to a growth slowdown caused by the worsening economic climate.
'I am merely applying my rights ... to protect my investment in easyJet,' Stelios responded in a statement, while a spokeswoman declined to comment further.
EasyJet chairman Colin Chandler said in a statement he supported the management team's current strategy, although the board was discussing the future strategic direction of the company.
Stelios had transferred shares owned by his sister to his holding company easyGroup, increasing his stake to 26.9 percent from 15.6 percent.
His brother Polys owns a further 11.3 percent through investment firm Polys Holdings, according to Reuters data.
EasyJet said Stelios now wanted the airline to scale back its 315-aircraft order with manufacturer Airbus (Paris: NL0000235190 (http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=EAD.PA) - news (http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/h?s=EAD.PA)) and start to make dividend payments. EasyJet has never paid a dividend in its eight-year history as a quoted company.

RIGHT TO BE CHAIRMAN
EasyJet said Stelios wanted two new non-executive directors to be appointed at the company, and reserved the right to appoint himself as chairman if the move was blocked.
It added that the proposed new directors were both employees of easyGroup.
'In all the circumstances I would like to make it clear up front that the other non-executive directors and I fully support the executive management of the company.' Chandler said.
Stelios, 41, floated easyJet on the stock-market in November 2000, but remained chairman until 2002. He stepped down from the board for around three years, but in 2005 took on a non-executive director role that he still holds.
Shares in the firm, which reports its full-year results on Tuesday, were down 3.1 percent at 271.25 pence by 1430 GMT, valuing the company at close to 1.1 billion pounds ($1.63 billion).
The shares have more than halved in price since the beginning of the year, costing Stelios a paper loss of about 170 million pounds, but are down just 3 percent in the past six months.
Douglas McNeill, airline analyst at stockbrokers Blue Oar (LSE: BLUE.L (http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BLUE.L) - news (http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/h?s=BLUE.L)) , said the market was still mulling how to read the comments.
'On the one hand you have conflict at board level, which is undesirable. But there is also the prospect of a change of strategy and the distribution of cash,' he said.
'The rapid rate of expansion that has been planned requires a huge amount of cash to be spent on new planes. Stelios clearly thinks that cash could be better used elsewhere.'
EasyJet told analysts at a presentation in September it expected cash at Sept. 30 to be around 900 million pounds. It has a total order for 315 aircraft from Airbus, of which 120 have already been delivered.
Its current fleet is 165 aircraft. It said in the presentation the figure would be 200 by 2011, although a group spokesman said the number was under review.
Stelios now holds close to the 29.9 percent of the company that would trigger a takeover bid, although his full plans are as yet unclear.

dwlpl
14th Nov 2008, 21:20
A row between board members at easyJet has been made public with the confirmation of an email sent to the board from Stelios.

It appears that Stelios is not happy that the airline is breaking out into too many other areas in this time of falling confidence in the worlds finances.

So much so that his sister has transferred her shares over to him and he now owns 27%, up from 15%, in the business.

Stelios wants to appoint two new representatives to the board or to bring himself back as chairman.

racedo
14th Nov 2008, 22:30
Stelios taking his holding to 26%.

Requiring 2 nominated directors be appointed or else he appoints himself Chairman.

Restricting the already scaled back growth plans, stop buying aircraft and indicating that he wished that Dividends be paid instead of growth.

It seems that Stelios is a bit unhappy about what is occurring which probably indicates a desire to run the company again or take it private.

Mercenary Pilot
14th Nov 2008, 22:56
Or maybe he's bored of trying to make easy*insert daft new franchise here* work and has decided to go back to running his extremely popular and successful airline. :ok:

Captain Sky
14th Nov 2008, 23:01
Full story here

Row breaks out at easyJet - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/3461393/Row-breaks-out-at-easyJet.html)

vanHorck
15th Nov 2008, 09:02
Sounds to me Stellios is eager for the company to be cautious in this challenging time, protecting the empire he has built, his legacy.

Forcing them to pay dividend IF MARKET ALLOWS means reserve cash just in case, same with the delays on plane purchases.

Wise man as far as I'm concerned, perhaps unhappy about risk taking by the current board which may be more concerned about short term bonusses than the long term health of his creation....

lederhosen
15th Nov 2008, 09:22
The founding family own nearly 40% of the shares which must give them some say. Obviously differences have been building up over time. History will tell if Stelios is right. But I would be amazed if he does not get what he wants. Given the current economic climate I can see his point.

Kiwi red
15th Nov 2008, 09:25
And his brother owns another 11%, so that would give him about 38% share in easy if he also took over those shares as well, that would allow him to take the company private.
Could be interesting times ahead with Stelios back in the lead.

172driver
15th Nov 2008, 09:59
Sounds to me Stellios is eager for the company to be cautious in this challenging time, protecting the empire he has built, his legacy.

Well, not so sure about the empire bit here. Pretty much everything else he did, i.e. the various EASY-something ventures have flopped.

Harry Spotter
15th Nov 2008, 10:33
Could it be something like an emergency-brake on the plans to look into that consortium with Virgin for a bid on Gatwick Airport ?

greuzi
15th Nov 2008, 13:32
Stelios did a good job when hands on.
Perfect timing for him to be hands on.

Everybody is tightening their belts. Those that can squeze the tightest will still be here on the other side.

Low cost appear to have a problem. Their customer base is low paid? However, if you need to fly you need to fly. The low costs have great networks and businessmen still need to fly. If they keep service good and costs low there is nothing left to do. They also have some cracking good managers and a very lean structure.

The 25 strong stag parties might wain, but EZY will be there on the other side IMHO.

CornishFlyer
15th Nov 2008, 13:45
greuzi the lo-cos have a wide variety of pax. You'll find some very rich people fly with them and a lot of celebs do too, purely cos they are flying to european destinations whereby a meal isn't necessary so there is not always a reason to fly with a more expensive airline if the ticket price is hugely different. At the end of the day, economy differs little betwene airlines except with those that offer IFE and meals. A lot of pax are actually leaving the likes of BA because of the economic downturn and moving to lo-cos. The pax loads at EZY have been up quite a fair amount of the past few months whereas BA's have started to dip so bizarrely, the credit crunch is actually good for the lo-cos as like you said, people still need to fly, they just now want to pay less for the privelege :P

Doors to Automatic
15th Nov 2008, 13:50
There is only one thing stopping EZY being an outstanding airline - seat allocation.

It beggars belief that the numpties in charge haven't cottoned onto this and the fact it could be an additional source of revenue.

greuzi
15th Nov 2008, 13:56
Cornish.....that's my exact point so no dispute required.

DtA.....200% agree. Just this one thing would stop there being a difference between EZY and a flag / legacy carrier. It would definitely benefit business particularly as Cornish agrees that all sorts of people fly EZY.

Hope they listen.

racedo
15th Nov 2008, 14:16
Is Stelios the right person ?

The person who starts a business and grows it quickly is not necessarily the best person to keep running it. Entrepreneurs make poor professional managers.

The message to management here seems to be I want to run it again as I can run it better than you which undermines the existing management.

Given the track record of running "Easy startups" then I think there is a real danger here for the company and brand in the long term.

Stelios's EGO is now dictating how Easyjet must be run.

Smeagels Boyfriend
15th Nov 2008, 14:32
Mercenary Pilot

You need to be careful, anyone in the UK using or even heard uttering the word Easy like that is likely to wind up in court!!

SB

Pilotdom
15th Nov 2008, 14:48
Seat allocation would hurt Easy. The reason everyone gets to check-in and the gate early is to get the seat they want. It works well, and should be kept the way it is.

kenparry
15th Nov 2008, 14:57
"Seat allocation would hurt Easy. The reason everyone gets to check-in and the gate early is to get the seat they want. It works well, and should be kept the way it is."

But it does not work. I flew recently EMA- VCE and back with EZY, and it was a real bunfight when boarding. I felt sorry for those who paid for so-called "Priority Boarding" on the way back - at VCE everyone goes on the same coaches to the remote stand, and the only "priority" given is that you are first on the bus. Big deal. That is taking money under false pretences.

And at EMA people are put in groups for boarding sequence, so getting to the check-in desk or gate early guarantees nothing.

Seat allocation would mean introducing systems that EZY does not have at present, so there would be a cost.

Essex International
15th Nov 2008, 15:25
The thing with "Priority boarding" is you do get what you pay for!

The price depends on airport facilities, Higher price is for jet bridge and means first to board plane, lower price means first on the bus (Being first on the bus means that you will be on the 'first bus' and therefore sitting with the people you are travelling with), medium price is where airports mix the two! This is explained when you book it, don't see what all the fuss is about, lol :}

Maybe its all more to do with what the customer is expecting not what they actually bought! I myself would like allocated seats, can't see that happening any time soon on the major lo-co's.

Stelio's, hmm not sure on that one but i'll keep watching :ok:

Dryce
15th Nov 2008, 16:32
Seat allocation would hurt Easy. The reason everyone gets to check-in and the gate early is to get the seat they want. It works well, and should be kept the way it is.

These days it probably wouldn't.

In the old days those who turned up early got group A.

These days those who pay for speedy can smooch in late.

The majority who check in online all get A regardless of when they turn up.

And a few lost souls wander about with traditional boarding passes and looking a bit confused as to how they turned up early and ended up last in the queue.

flyer55
15th Nov 2008, 17:38
Any reason why easyjet got alot of aircraft parked up @ LGW in the west park ? I noticed the other day seven aircraft parked between west park and the fls hangar !

Viewfrom5Bells
15th Nov 2008, 18:48
in the current credit market conditions ? Apparently the rumour is that even very large Middle Eastern airlines have none or very little finance in place for their extraordinary buying programme and have very little chance of getting any.

autobrake3
15th Nov 2008, 21:01
Mr 55, the same reason that every other airline have got their aircraft parked up at the moment.

freightdoggy dog
15th Nov 2008, 21:19
Essex I,
Jet2.com do allocated seating... on-line pay for the seat you want or turn up at check in and its free...saves the bun fight, family and friends can sit together...works well and is a source of extra revenue, there is a cost to the company...happy pax who aren't stressed out at the gate !

racedo
15th Nov 2008, 21:31
"But it does not work. I flew recently EMA- VCE and back with EZY, and it was a real bunfight when boarding. I felt sorry for those who paid for so-called "Priority Boarding" on the way back - at VCE everyone goes on the same coaches to the remote stand, and the only "priority" given is that you are first on the bus. Big deal. That is taking money under false pretences."

It does work but depends on the Airport.

I've done it on a BCN-LGW flight and key thing was getting to the front of the bus, driver clearly directed speedy boarders there. When bus came to plane he opened door first and ensured everyone who was a speedy boarder got off first before opening the rest of the doors.

Normally not an issue as most flight I have taken from BCN have used the jetbridge but this was a delayed flight.

Hollymead
15th Nov 2008, 22:34
Stelios grabs controls at Easyjet - Times Online (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article5161942.ece)

overthewing
15th Nov 2008, 22:37
SLF here. Easyjet flights seem to consist primarily of queuing, whatever priority you think you've paid to be. You pay for priority boarding and still end up in a queue, even though it's apparently a queue to get on first.

I've given up flying lo-co, because the savings usually evaporate once you factor in luggage, check-in and transport from a secondary airport. In the febrile atmosphere of some lo-co departure lounges, the rudeness of staff (and I do understand how their patience has been eroded) often has tempers at boiling point before you even reach the plane. It's a draining experience. I'd rather pay what often turns out to be a low premium to check in online to a specific seat, get my G&T free, not have to find cash for my toasted sandwich, and not feel guilty about the case in the hold. It gives me confidence (although that confidence may be irrational), that the company won't resent deploying the oxygen masks for me, or replacing the l/g tyres if the tread looks less than optimal.

I know that many of you work for lo-cos, so I hope I'm not offending you by wishing that this is not the future of passenger flying. It makes 'SLF' a horribly un-humourous acronym.

Sunstar320
15th Nov 2008, 22:41
Down here in OZ, all of our LCC's (tiger, jetstar) have seat selection. Jetstar does it free, and tiger charge a small fee, but it is a great process.
Although people might not turn up early, we have 45min cutoff down over here, and if you miss this, you are put on the next flight plus a fee. What I also like is that on Jetstar International/Air Asia flights, you also have the option to chose your seat. It really does put the stress out of some people, and you can change your seat online anytime up to departure.

Certianly am suprised that Ryanair, Easyjet have not implemented such a thing. Certianly would boost revenue's

Avman
15th Nov 2008, 22:45
A lot of pax are actually leaving the likes of BA because of the economic downturn and moving to lo-cos. The pax loads at EZY have been up quite a fair amount of the past few months whereas BA's have started to dip

Indeed, and incidentally this is what used to keep Southwest Airlines profitable during the bad times too. But an important element in this is that Easy (like Southwest) fly to the major airports at the cities they serve. Ryanair don't, and therefore will not attract as much of the business traffic.

It wouldn't surprise me if Easy earn more revenue during this recession than Ryanair.

Permafrost_ATPL
15th Nov 2008, 22:47
Having open conflict between board members and the executive is a recipe for disaster. Happened at Hewlett-Packard in 2003 and it took the company a couple of years to recover. Too many chefs....

P

rhythm method
15th Nov 2008, 22:54
It gives me confidence (although that confidence may be irrational), that the company won't resent deploying the oxygen masks for me, or replacing the l/g tyres if the tread looks less than optimal.

What an idiotic and immature statement... I hope it was a poor attempt at humour :hmm:.

As every airline should say, "safety is our priority". With us, it is... and I can guarantee you, I would NEVER accept ANY aircraft for a service if I had even the slightest qualms about it. I have a family and children who I do not want to leave orphaned... that forms much of my decision-making in every aspect of my life.

Let's lay off the stupid idea that low-cost means low standards of safety or service. :ugh:

paarmo
15th Nov 2008, 22:56
Are these options to buy or firm orders?
Ryanair are now saddled with lots of aircraft now that the Boeing strike is finished. It will be interesting to see what they do with them and the retiring aircraft when they start to arrive in a couple of weeks time.

Finman
15th Nov 2008, 23:01
I was in Berlin SXF early tonight and 8 or 9 Sleazyjets parked up! Maybe this is why Stelios doesn't want them to continue 'expanding' at the moment. The current Board seem to be in a competition with Ryanair to be the biggest. The biggest 'what' is the question.:}

overthewing
16th Nov 2008, 00:22
As every airline should say, "safety is our priority"

Rhythm, I'm sure that most airlines would claim an earnest attitude to safety. However, having travelled worldwide with more airlines than I can count, I no longer have confidence that safety is more than crossed fingers for some of them. I've had more than one moment (mainly Asian airlines, sorry) where it was apparent that the cabin crew hadn't a clue how to deal with any crisis beyond a spilled coffee, and the flight crew never made their presence known beyond getting the plane airborne and landing it.

With carriers like Easyjet and Ryanair, I don't doubt that the flight crew are first rate and the cabin crew well trained. But so many other aspects of the flight pay lip service to the concept of safety. For example, when everyone's encouraged to bring hand-luggage only, the overhead lockers get packed with huge heavy cases that you really don't want to have fall on your head in the event of turbulence. Are those lockers really designed for that kind of loading, I wonder? Often, after landing, you find the plane taxiing at an rate that seems to push the bounds of what's safe; doubtless it's within legal limits, but only just. And most of the time you don't walk off the plane via an air-bridge; you pick your way down a dark steep staircase and drag your massive hand-luggage to a stand-up bus, get driven for miles round the perimeter from a non-stand no-man's-land, clinging desperately to an overhead strap and trying to avoid having your leg broken by someone else's wheeled luggage rolling down the bus at you. This may not be in the same league as depressurisation at 37,000 feet, but as a passenger I can't avoid a sense that my safety, as far as the company's concerned, goes exactly as far as the legalities insist, and not a step beyond.

Do I expect the oxygen masks to drop? Yes, I do. The company would be in big trouble if they didn't. Do I think the company will make serious efforts above and beyond the legal minimum to maximise the chances of them dropping? Well no, I don't. The no-frills aesthetic is so evident, it's hard not to feel that safety standards beyond what they can be caught out for legally, would not be considered.

I stand to be told that the lo-cos have maintenance, training and general safety standards well in excess of the mainline airlines. Perhaps they do. But when I'm made to stand in a bad-tempered queue, bundled onto a plane by bad-tempered staff, forced to sit in a seat under a locker in which someone has strained to stow a rucksack he can hardly lift, asked to pay for a crap sandwich and told crisply to get settled by a flight crew desperate not to miss their slot, I can't help but feel that the company will not have spent a penny more than it absolutely has to in ensuring my safety.

Perhaps you can tell me otherwise.

TheSwede
16th Nov 2008, 05:33
"I was in Berlin SXF early tonight and 8 or 9 Sleazyjets parked up! Maybe this is why Stelios doesn't want them to continue 'expanding' at the moment. The current Board seem to be in a competition with Ryanair to be the biggest. The biggest 'what' is the question.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif"

Saturday evenings out of Berlin? Where would they fly and make some money?

Speevy
16th Nov 2008, 08:17
Overthewing, sorry but we all due respect (since you could be one of the guys paying my bills) you are talking nonsense!

1) Overhead locker are designed to support weight, next time you fly look at the plackard you can find on the side.

2)I stand to be told that the lo-cos have maintenance, training and general safety standards well in excess of the mainline airlines.

Indeed FR and U2 flight crew training departement have a really good reputation in the industry.

3)Maintainace is a requirement and all airlines have to follow the required steps, no one will do more than what is required.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about so please stop posting non sense!
How would you feel if I spit untrue judgments on your company/business?

Speevy

Pinkman
16th Nov 2008, 09:12
We've had the debate endlessly on pprune. Overwing is asking whether there is a effectively a 'single culture' that runs through an airline and whether, when that is evidenced on the cabin side as inadequate (poorly trained, rude, hostile, demotivated staff etc.) whether that evidences similar attitutudes in maintenance and crew training and proficiency.

The conclusion always seems to be that it depends. Overwings post touches a nerve with his comment about SOME Asian (and African) airlines, many of whom dont even realize they have a culture. I have had that, but I have also had the same experiences around the world with large European carriers. Only last year I sat at Schipol for 50 minutes after scheduled departure time for a 747 flight to CGK, watching the flight deck crew read their newspapers and when I asked the cabin crew, they said they were too scared to ask for information on why we were delayed. Extraordinary!

Equally, I know that some lo-cos have a duality where their training and crew scheduling systems are really first rate compared to the bare-bones approach to passenger management. I use consultants that also work for airlines and I know some of them DO NOT do the bare minimum, in fact some of their programs would put mainstream carriers to shame.

So you really can't say. But you can make an educated guess. And if you ask around you might get some surprises.

Pinkman

vanHorck
16th Nov 2008, 09:16
I have great confidence in EZY. Their crew and planes are fresh,a new generation, allowing them to develop their business in a way which is made possible by modern technology and attitude.

(quiz: how old is the oldest still running EZY plane?)

Being so young it is not lumbered by old habbits, customs and culture. I'll fully admit that the experience of the older generation has many benefits but I suspect that on balance of things, a modern fleet of craft and crew and attitudes makes for a more healthy company mixing economics and safety, meaning best possible safety at a competitive commercial rate.

(perhaps if EZY bought Alitalia the italians would get a better product for less money)

Most people hate change, and will find arguments why change should not happen or why the old ways are better. I do not belong to that category.

bizdev
16th Nov 2008, 09:54
In my experience with both EZY and RYN, their maintenance programme in many areas are in excess of the MPD (Boeing/Airbus Maintenance Planning Data). The whole premise of Low Cost is High Utilisation = heavy use of the aircraft in excess of the Boeing/Airbus assumed standard/average utilisation. Therefore LCCs have adjusted their maintenance programmes to reflect the high utilisation and therefore aim to make the aircraft as reliable as possible.

racedo
16th Nov 2008, 10:51
"For example, when everyone's encouraged to bring hand-luggage only, the overhead lockers get packed with huge heavy cases that you really don't want to have fall on your head in the event of turbulence. Are those lockers really designed for that kind of loading, I wonder?"

Overthewing - Seriously have you flown EZY or FR ?

Ryanair have a 15kg carryon limit that they check - too heavy and its gets checked. Contrast this with the no weight carry on and you see pax on airlines asking for assistance to put them in the overheads......as a passenger if someone has a really heavy bulky case I refuse and suggest they check it. Cue abuse but I tell them if you can't lift it up then how you going to lift it down.

Fil
16th Nov 2008, 10:53
1) Overhead locker are designed to support weight, next time you fly look at the plackard you can find on the side.

True, but how many times do you see the overhead lockers jammed full with many cases that have a combined weight well in excess of the allowed weight. Some airlines, both LoCo and Legacy, do not consider this overloading of lockers by passengers a problem and it probably isn't unless something goes wrong. Hardly ever now but in the past with some airlines I have experienced every item of hand-baggage getting weighed. Then, of course we all buy litres of duty free!!

harbour cotter
16th Nov 2008, 15:05
Perhaps off-topic, but I share concerns over what is being placed in overhead lockers. I am a regular Pax, and I have seen several pieces of luggage fall. Usually without incident but occassionally it has hit pax (curiously it never seems to be the person who placed it) and also CC. This is usually after pax have opened the lockers in flight and not closed them properly or prior to take off & after landing. I have also received bruising from a pax trying to force luggage into a locker which was obviously not just too heavy to lift without a fork-lift truck, but even if she had been successful in lifting it, it was very obviously too large to fit. Her endeavours managed to involve several pax, most of whom received bruising before assistance to place the luggage/small home elsewhere on the plane by CC. Eventually this not inconsiderable loading of the lockers will ultimately contribute to something much worse, although I would rather be proved wrong.

no sponsor
16th Nov 2008, 17:17
I think overthewing touches on an interesting point. He is referring to confidence, or the warm and fuzzy cosseted feeling passengers want to receive. Entirely different than suggesting significant ADDs are carried, or not even written up - if you see poorly paid, unmotivated staff, who clearly should not be in the job, anyone will draw those same conclusions about the oily bits on an aircraft, irrespective of the truth.

Whatever you may want to feel, having a 18 year old with no manners and being rude doesn't inspire any confidence, or the desire to return. Appearance, confidence and the experience means alot to the average punter.

Jumping Jack Flash
16th Nov 2008, 19:00
"................or replacing the l/g tyres if the tread looks less than optimal."

Relax. Had the man himself onboard my flight recently (ish). Had a good looking tyre/wheel changed because it was deflated below limits. Delay approx 1:15 at destination. His a/c? My approach to Safety!!

UP and Down Operator
16th Nov 2008, 19:47
Hmm, and what does luggage in overhead lockers or 18 year old stewardesses having to do with Sir Stelios trying to take control and slow down the growth of the compay ??????? :hmm::ugh:

Any thoughts of the idea that we are trying to save any penny we can on fuel and optimised effeciency, talks about cutting crew-costs, and all just so the money can be paid directly to the shareholders in stead of securing our own job in the future??? (according to the statement made about his reasons to "take control")

BACK TO TOPIC PLEASE GENTS :ok:

qwertyuiop
16th Nov 2008, 20:00
I don't know much about the details of Easy's Airbus orders. Was the purchase price was in US$? If this is the case have we just seen the cost of each airframe increase as the pound tumbles?

Is now the time for a big increase in fleet numbers? I believe Stelios is correct.

Husky One
16th Nov 2008, 21:07
They would still be cheap if you're hedged at £1 = $2. But given the other factors it becomes very complicated. If the Economy recovers in 2010 then the current AMB strategy looks sound enough. Clearly Stelios doesn't think so.

jettesen
16th Nov 2008, 22:52
Overwing - in response to your post of lack of safety in loco's, I would just like to say that BA cabin crew do their annual refresher training on a computer, which they can download the questions and answers at home, and practice at home several months before their exams, where all other airlines dont get this 'luxury' and have to read manuals and study hard in order to pass the exam. BA have 150 questions they can practise on, out of which get asked something like 40 out of that 150 on the day. How can this be safe???? do they read manuals??? or just learn the answers???

They dont learn location diagrams and get examined on them. Other airlines do. Safety in NOT comprimosed on any airline be it full service or loco, but loco's have a reputation to keep up and if they have an accident, their name wil be in tatters , hence why safety is their main priority no matter what cost to the company. Do you ever see main carrier cabin crew stop the demo to get pax to be quiet and pay attention??? i think not because their demo's are on video screens and cant be paused once started. Dont think that BA, Virgin or and big name carriers are safer than the loco's because this simply isnt true. Look at how many ryanair / easyjet flights there are every year opposed tp ba/virgin flights per year and see who has more incidents...........Think you will be very suprised.

P.s Your G&T isn't free.......... you paid £20 for it in your ticket!!lol

UP and Down Operator
16th Nov 2008, 23:17
JETTESEN, can you please start another discussion with this nonsenes instead of twisting this to something irrelevant (in relation to the TOPIC)!!

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

quant
17th Nov 2008, 07:52
I spotted this story on the times webby this morning.

Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou says he does not want easyJet chairman out (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article5168225.ece)

Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, the founder of easyJet, insisted last night that he did not want to oust Sir Colin Chandler as chairman, despite his concern about the struggling budget airline’s strategy.

eu01
18th Nov 2008, 07:31
(today announced) - the full year pretax profit fell 35 percent to 123 million pounds, while first quarter winter bookings are ahead of last year.

It's in line with expectations and indeed, not a bad result in the current economical situation (my opinion).

st nicholas
18th Nov 2008, 08:16
Sir Stelios refuses to sign off easyJet's accounts - Times Online (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article5178050.ece)

To quote from above link

Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, the founder of easyJet, has ramped up his dispute with the low-cost airline's board by refusing to approve the company's annual accounts.

In a formal statement attached to easyJet's final results, the entrepreneur, who owns more than a quarter of the company, sets out his reasons for his concern over accounting policies adopted by the rest of the board, which he believes do not reflect "current commercial realities and the macro-economic climate".

This coupled with Ryanair launching 2 spanish destinations from LGW means interesting times for the low cost sector IMHO.

Local Variation
18th Nov 2008, 12:46
eu01,

Based on your figures and the stepping in of the main shareholder, I would suggest your conclusion is ill judged.

Stelios is looking for a dividend, suggesting a need to protect working capital and cash and play it safe. On that basis and the fact that costs are variable at best and on the increase at worst, revenue streams won't matter a jot.

Orders for vanity, profits for sanity. Cash is King. etc etc.

If working capital is being eroded at EJ, then things are bad. Snippets in the media (BBC) suggest the Board are ambitious and are looking at new routes and customers as well as cost control / cutting to give a better return. Is this is the best use of the hard earn't cash over the years ? Stelios doesn't think so and neither would many of the staff I would suggest (let alone the company FD).

Watch the share price. That will tell you who is going to win this battle. If there were multiple shareholders out their, things would be very interesting indeed.

eu01
18th Nov 2008, 13:25
Watch the share price.
Let's see...
-35.75 (-12.93%)
Okay. The reception is not good. But who actually is coping better right now?

eu01
19th Nov 2008, 03:32
The FT's Andrew Hill has just published the following opinion:Sir Stelios's public interventions at EasyJet are ill-judged. As a director, he has a right to make specific points about the airline's strategy and accounting in private. But there's a reason why cases where non-executives append dissenting opinions to listed company results statement are few and far between: going public with complaints can only make matters worse. It's particularly odd in Sir Stelios's case, as the value of his shareholding can only be damaged by further open sparring.

Meanwhile, if there are other investors out there who believe Sir Stelios is right to call for even greater prudence, they are unlikely to lend public support, lest they inflict greater damage on the share price.(...)

Wisely, EasyJet management let the airline's results speak for themselves. The message to Sir Stelios is clear: the captain has illuminated the Fasten Seatbelts sign; please return to your seat.

eu01
20th Nov 2008, 17:33
Uneasy relationship (http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12638650) - that's a title of a new article in The Economist, certainly worth reading. Just a short excerpt here: Whatever the reasons [of Stelios's disapproval are], they spell trouble for easyJet. The airline’s expansion plans for the coming year are modest: capacity is planned to grow by 5% compared with the 15% that is easyJet’s norm. Given the desperate state of Alitalia and the difficulties of Iberia, easyJet, which has hubs at Milan Malpensa and Madrid Barajas, is in a strong position to benefit. Mr van Klaveren [an analyst at Exane BNP Paribas] fears that the ultra-cautious approach Sir Stelios is advocating, combined with talk of dividends, could result in the stock going “ex-growth” and losing the premium it shares with its rival, Ryanair. It is hard to see how that is in anyone’s interests.

Buster the Bear
21st Nov 2008, 08:11
EasyJet: The budget airline said it has sold two A321 aircraft for about $84 million (£57 million). Analysts said this could ease the concerns of Sir Stelios Haji-Inoannou, the airline’s founder, about its approach to valuing assets.

oppure
24th Nov 2008, 10:18
I was wondering: did they consider placing these spare aircraft in Italy instead of selling them? I suppose it would have been quite expensive as it was was outside their plans but with alitalia cancelling 100 flights per day, which is just the beginning of a major shrink for them, this is probably the best opportunity ever to get a consistent slice of a very important market, even if the cost of a big sudden and unplanned expansion is probably very high wasn't it worth trying?

pabely
24th Nov 2008, 10:45
Sold the A321's to........another Luton based airline??

eu01
24th Nov 2008, 11:43
According to FT (today) "Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou will step up his campaign this week to persuade EasyJet to adopt an ultra-cautious approach to growth as the recession deepens."

And indeed, the campaign has already taken its toll. The summer schedules' release for Basel, Geneva, Berlin, Madrid and Milan planned for today has been postponed at least until 26th of November. Selling more planes?

FerrypilotDK
24th Nov 2008, 16:26
Would like to get in contact with some Easy Jet flight crews. Please PM if you are bored and would answer a couple questions. Thanks

leisurelad
24th Nov 2008, 16:38
Hello,

Not sure if this has been covered or not yet in the post but i see they have released the schedule from LGW to most destination but the CFU / DLM flights etc are not on sale yet.

Anyone know why as hopinh to pick up some cheap seats as an early booker if i can.

Thanks

apaul
24th Nov 2008, 18:15
As far as I can see the Gatwick summer routes have not been released yet. Supposed to happen on 26 November now. I doubt the delay from 24 November to 26 November has anything to do with Stelios or cut-backs. The previous tranche was also delayed by a day or two.

Seljuk22
24th Nov 2008, 19:59
BSL, GVA and MAD: 27th Nov, the others: 5th Dec

Hope they wait to see what will happen with the financial/economy crisis and also what will happen to other airlines like AZ.

cesare.caldi
25th Nov 2008, 22:00
Any rumors about possible new route from MXP?

eu01
26th Nov 2008, 12:10
BSL, GVA and MAD: 27th Nov, the others: 5th Dec.
BSL, GVA, MAD postponed once again, until 28th November (17.00 GMT).

h&s
29th Nov 2008, 22:47
now live...

virgin_cc_wannabe
29th Nov 2008, 22:57
any ideas about MAN new routes.
They said a 3rd aircraft would be based at MAN for summer 09, but no sign of it yet.

jaypla
30th Nov 2008, 05:49
Not bookable till now...

befree
4th Dec 2008, 07:05
Easyjet have just announced a 3.4% rise in pax and a 3.1% rise in load factor.
This rise includes the seats added when they took on GB. In reality the old easyjet routes are carrying less pax than last year. They are also flying less sectors than last year.

Unlike ryanair they seem to be trying to remain profitable by cutting capacity to demand. What happens to all the planes on order? Best option it to takeover another airline with leased planes that can be swapped out.

EI-BUD
4th Dec 2008, 07:11
befree

What happens to all the planes on order?

Hi there, I was reading somewhere that Easyjet have flexibility on the delivery dates of their new aircraft, I think it was Andy Harrison who said 'unlike our competitors we can slow the deliver rate if we need to'.

Not sure if this applies here but it does sound like the airbus order is quite flexible.

Seljuk22
4th Dec 2008, 07:54
I think very good figures! Pax only up 3,4 is not very good, but all the others big europe carriers (apart FR, LX and TK) lose passengers and the LF is very high (one of the highest in europe, KL and LX could reach this maybe) and up over 3pp :ok: which no other could say!

I hope: LF up - yield up - profit up and next summer back in track with better business environment (oil down and crisis nears end) and more growth.

Are there 14 or 15 a/c in MXP now? If not when will the 15 a/c come and what is the further development in MXP?

pabely
4th Dec 2008, 07:59
What happens to all the planes on order?

Don't the Ordered A320's start arriving in January?

befree
4th Dec 2008, 08:15
Pax only 3.4%

The 3.4% rise is pax is not like for like. If you add into last november the 182,183 pax flown by GB then the combined airline carried 2.75% less pax. They must have a few planes doing nothing today.

Airbus will allow some flexiblity but are unlikely to let easyjet take no planes.

Jet A1
4th Dec 2008, 08:34
First easyJet config A320 arrives Feb...No idea where it is headed.

The Flying Cokeman
4th Dec 2008, 08:38
Airbus deliveries can be delayed for up to 2 years. This comes from AH's mouth himself.

befree
4th Dec 2008, 14:41
I now understand why there was a board room bust up over stopping expansion. The board will be able to see forward bookings and I guess they will look grim. I guess you need to tell airbus quite a while ahead you wish to slow the arrival of new planes. At least they are not as committed as ryanair and GB has allowed them to offeset some of their decline. After Jan the growth due to adding GB will have worked out the stats and we could have a real reduction.

racedo
4th Dec 2008, 15:54
Airbus deliveries can be delayed for up to 2 years. This comes from AH's mouth himself.

I believe he is correct BUT what he doesn't say is what the additional cost is as given that Airlines hit EADS/Boeing for delays then there is clearly something in the contracts for delays.

davidjohnson6
4th Dec 2008, 20:15
Has someone at EZY let the cat out the bag a little too early about 4 new summer routes from LGW to DBV, JTR, LCA and NAP ?

toledoashley
4th Dec 2008, 20:27
There is nothing on the website as yet, according to the FAQ section seats to be released tomorrow morning.

* Found it now, really looking forward to DBV

davidjohnson6
4th Dec 2008, 20:37
Under the 'When do you release your summer 2009 schedule' topic, there is the following extract:

These routes will not go live until w/c 15th December;
LGWNAP
LGWJTR
LGWLCA
LGWDBV

BAladdy
5th Dec 2008, 01:52
Jet A1 - to answer your question about the 1st EZY configured A320. Guessing since the ex GB aircraft are due to leave the fleet soon guessing they will go to LGW to replace them.

davidjohnson6
5th Dec 2008, 02:05
I think someone at EZY has been reading my post. 39 mins after my original posting here, the text was deleted from the public website !

Under the 'When do you release your summer 2009 schedule' topic, there is the following extract:

These routes will not go live until w/c 15th December;
LGWNAP
LGWJTR
LGWLCA
LGWDBV

danielson81
5th Dec 2008, 09:00
Although the summer routes from LGW are not on sale yet, they are showing up on Ebookers and Travelsupermarket.

Searched LGW to MLA for two weeks in August, showing up as Easyjet at £140! By the time you've added baggage and card fees they are only £5 cheaper than BA or Air Malta!

racedo
5th Dec 2008, 09:18
I think someone at EZY has been reading my post. 39 mins after my original posting here, the text was deleted from the public website !

Way To Go :ok:

Reminds of the story about the politician staying in old USSR during cold war, talked to the wall on last night and said it would be nice to have some really good vodka and caviar. His host gave him a present of it next day as he was departing for the airport with a knowing smile.

davidjohnson6
5th Dec 2008, 12:17
Time for us junkies to start dribbling over our Electron cards.... :8

danielson81
5th Dec 2008, 13:01
Waited ages to flights to come on sale, but cheapest LGW to MLA was £150 with all fees and baggage.

Flight with BA on same dates was £131! Wish I booked a few weeks ago as it was £100 when I checked!

Lesson learnt for next time! :ugh:

UPS@EMA
5th Dec 2008, 13:26
EASYJET to start flying to Nice 3 times weekly from EMA, ops Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday in Summer 2009 commencing 2nd April

1st Expansion in over a year. Vote of confidence from Easy while rumours of closing the base were flying around

Regards

Stu

OltonPete
5th Dec 2008, 16:29
That would be expansion of destinations and not flights as far as I can
see. Prague has gone from daily to four a week to accommodate.

So they are competing with Baby on Nice having seen them leave Prague.
Okay this is probably more down to Ryanair starting Prague but it is just swapping routes about.

However I agree not the actions of an airline about to leave an airport in
the short-term.

Pete

jettesen
5th Dec 2008, 17:42
the prices will come down - give it a week or so!!! The prices are high as the flights were released today, and everyone is booking, therefore the computer system looks at demand and whacks the prices up. when demand falls ( in about a weeks time) prices will be back down to £30 or £40 one way!!! So hang in there

leisurelad
5th Dec 2008, 18:16
Well i've never been a big fan of the low cost sector especially when it comes to holidays as i prefer the good old charter, however, in these credit crunching times, Easyjet .... YOU'VE WON ME OVER.

Looking at fares from LGW-CFU in June, where else can you pick up seats at £96 pp including a bag with a 20kg allowance.

I've looked at Thomson/Monarch/Thomas Cook/Kiss and the cheapest i found was just over £200 with Kiss. Thomson etc wanted £230 + for the flights.

Thanks Easyjet :ok:

OliWW
5th Dec 2008, 19:45
We will probably see FR start Marseille now, which is about 205km away from Nice. And FR have a base there, probably more than likely now, as FR have seen that EZY are taking chances to grab passengers, FR will be in there before we know it

MUFC_fan
5th Dec 2008, 19:54
Would Toulon not be closer? They also fly direct to Nice anyway, although it is only from Dublin.

I would guess that MRS would be a general expansion route anyway, whether U2 were on the NCE route or not.

Is it direct expansion or is it a movement of routes?

davidjohnson6
7th Dec 2008, 13:07
the prices will come down

Jettesen - hope you're right. A quote of £420 :eek: in May for a Gatwick-Paphos return trip before adding in things like luggage seems a little on the high side !

Powerjet1
11th Dec 2008, 11:44
LGW to DBV, JTR, LCA & NAP now in the booking system.

tigger2k8
21st Dec 2008, 21:53
does anyone know why EZY 6724 (CDG to BFS) was cancelled tonight?

BFS101
21st Dec 2008, 22:34
tigger2k8, there was an initial delay of one hour on the outbound from BFS. Think tech issue, which caused cancellation of BFS-CDG-BFS.

tigger2k8
21st Dec 2008, 22:59
ah i see, thanks for the info :ok:

queenvic
30th Dec 2008, 11:42
Anyone know if Easyjet will be doing £10 ticket sale in the new year like last year

daninLTN
30th Dec 2008, 15:02
Heard somewhere U2 are selling 4-5 A319s

is this true ?

tigger2k8
30th Dec 2008, 16:02
^ havnt heard anything myself, i thought they would be selling off their 737's first since they are aiming for an all airbus fleet..

The Flying Cokeman
30th Dec 2008, 17:07
DaninLTN,

I seem to remember having heard that on the line some time ago but I think they're the "old ones" and around 40 new are coming in 2009 of which 11 are A320. Primarily to replace the 737 as mentioned above.
Happy new year :)

Buster the Bear
30th Dec 2008, 19:20
Are they the Swiss ones?

jethro15
30th Dec 2008, 19:45
Are they the Swiss ones?

Yes, the first five they received which were returned to the parent company.

jethro
jethro's UK and Ireland Airline Fleet Listings (http://www.jethros.eu)

tigger2k8
31st Dec 2008, 00:58
EZY with A320's? nice :).. will they go for the bin loaded or bulk loaded?

monkey lover
31st Dec 2008, 05:55
Bulk load....

daninLTN
31st Dec 2008, 10:59
So are these a/c yet to leave the fleet or have they already gone ?

eu01
5th Jan 2009, 09:22
Spotted on the net: 140 Bulgarians vow to sue Easy Jet - read here (http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=100208).

racedo
5th Jan 2009, 09:52
Guess Ezy will not be doing much of the "We fly to major cities" type publicity for a while.

eu01
5th Jan 2009, 14:45
According to the news (in French) (http://www.tunisieaffaire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4528&Itemid=111), as of next Summer easyJet will start flying to three Tunesian airports. The links will be created between Tunis-Carthage, Djerba and Monastir on the Tunesian side and "some European cities".

paully
5th Jan 2009, 15:31
Re the peed off Bulgars, from the info given on the link, it appears to have been snowing heavily at the destination and just maybe the crew thought, in the interests of safety, that a divert was the order of the day.:D

Just because these 3rd world airports say they are open, it dont mean that they are safe to operate in...ask anyone who flies in Africa for a living:ugh:...I wish em luck..Dont think Stelios will lose much sleep..

frelli
5th Jan 2009, 16:14
Here:

News - 2009-01-05 Easyjet (http://www.theairdb.com/news/2009-01-05-easyjet.html)

Wellington Bomber
5th Jan 2009, 16:28
Leeds is B*******

paully
5th Jan 2009, 18:55
Didnt see any routes for Leeds there........Mores the pity..

fl dutchman
6th Jan 2009, 11:12
The new routes are from Liverpool, Manchester,Bristol and Newcastle.

MUFC_fan
6th Jan 2009, 12:58
asyJet, the UK’s largest airline, today announced that it is opening 14 new routes across Europe, for summer 2009. Nine of the new routes will operate from UK regional airports, giving travellers even more choice of popular destinations.

Is Manchester a regional airport?

Also, not causing an LPL v MAN war again but how does easyJet think that Liverpool to Dubrovnik has more demand than Manchester to Athens?

I'm guessing the Athens route will become daily when Olympic run away.

Euroboy39
6th Jan 2009, 13:40
Erm, yes, Manchester is a regional airport...it's outside of London and doesn't have a major hub airline, so I would rather consider it a regional airport.

And I do not think it strange that Liverpool starts with more flights to Dubrovnik than Manchester to Athens... Dubrovnik is a highly popular tourist route, where as Athens is not a large tourist market in its own right (compared to many other similar sized cities in Europe). As Olympic is already in a vulnerable financial position, I bet EZ are confident they can wipe them off this secondary route through a slow expansion, rather than an all-out assault (with all the costs that this would entail)...have more faith in the EZ route planning departments!

MUFC_fan
6th Jan 2009, 13:48
A regional airport is an airport serving traffic within a relatively small or lightly populated geographical area. A regional airport usually does not have customs and immigration facilities to process traffic between countries. In Canada regional airports usually service connections within Canada and some flights to the United States. A few U.S. regional airports, some of which actually call themselves international airports, may have customs and immigration facilities staffed on an as-needed basis, but the vast majority serve domestic traffic only.
Aircraft using these airports tend to be smaller business jets, private aircraft and regional airliners of both turboprop propelled or regional jetliner varieties. These flight usually go a shorter distance to a larger regional hub. For medium-size countries like France, Germany, Sweden, a regional airport is an airport used with smaller planes, even though they go to the national hub, just like flight from larger domestic airports.

Not Manchester.

An international airport is an airport typically equipped with customs and immigration facilities to handle international flights to and from other countries. Such airports are usually larger, and often feature longer runways and facilities to accommodate the large aircraft commonly used for international or intercontinental travel. International airports often host domestic flights (flights which take place inside only one country) in addition to international flights. In many smaller countries most airports are international airports, so the concept of an "international airport" has little meaning. In certain countries however, there is a sub-category of limited international airports which handle international flights, but are limited to short-haul destinations (often due to geographical factors) or are mixed civilian/military airports.

Manchester.

Skipness One Echo
6th Jan 2009, 14:40
Oh for God's sake stop splitting hairs. MUFC_fan are you ashamed that Manchester is in the regions? Where did you find that quote btw? It's incredibly bad form to quote without the source you know.

This is worthy of an anoraks handbag fight on airliners.net is this !!!

MUFC_fan
6th Jan 2009, 19:13
Not particularly, it just amazes me that when I ask a simple question that the reply always seems to be cocky or rude - can a man not ask a simple question?!

Skipness One Echo
6th Jan 2009, 20:13
An intelligent quesiton beats a simple one hands down any day mate

MUFC_fan
6th Jan 2009, 20:17
But sure an simple question beats a cocky answer?

Anyway, any more news on those other rumoured routes from MAN?

toledoashley
6th Jan 2009, 20:20
London?
Madrid?
Milan?
Barcelona?

befree
7th Jan 2009, 08:31
Easyjet started to add GB airways pax into its traffic numbers in Feb 08. This cased a big leap (+22.5%) in year on year growth even if no more pax went on the two combined. Now offical growth is 7.3% in December which in reality is a small decline on the two airlines added. Come Feb 09 easyjet will report negaive growth as the GB boost falls out the stats.

Seljuk22
8th Jan 2009, 17:37
Ok passenger traffic will go down but the world economy goes down so it is no big drama. If load factor and yield are stable (or growing) in these times it is positive.

Again new routes!?

Seljuk22
22nd Jan 2009, 16:14
Q1 Statement :ok:

https://www.easyjet.com/common/img/q1_2009_trading_statement.pdf

View at the new routes
Advert link

and other new routes: LYS-IBZ, LYS-OLB and GVA-BIA

pee
23rd Jan 2009, 10:23
I was wondering what the competence of some financial advisors might be in relation to the air carriers. Look at this example:

January 21
UBS AG cut its recommendation for EasyJet Plc to “sell” from “neutral,” saying in a note to clients “the global recession will mean higher unemployment and fewer passengers.”

January 22
An increase in the number of passengers trading down to low-cost airlines and the strength of the euro have helped EasyJet boost first-quarter revenues by almost a third. "There has been a flight to value," said Andy Harrison, EasyJet chief executive, on Thursday.

"We've seen business passengers switching to EasyJet in search of value, and we've seen long-haul leisure passengers going short haul, so instead of going to Miami for the sun you go to Italy. In the tough times we're winning market share faster than in the good times."

Revenues for the three months to the end of December jumped 31.5 per cent to £550m ($761m), while passenger numbers rose 10 per cent from 9.1m to 10.1m.

Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, the airline's founder and largest shareholder expressed satisfaction with the results.

"I'm pleased to see the business performed so well in revenue terms in the last quarter," he said.

Shares in EasyJet closed up 31p at 286p.
To my mind, EZY is quite an impressive performer in the present circumstances. What's the level of the expertise? Selling some airline stock could still be wise in some cases, but EZY's prospects look much better than average in the industry.

Also in HEL their start seems to be a success story. I'm sure some other routes from Germany, France or Switzerland would thrive even better (but usually everybody tries STO first in spite of heavy competition there).

plasticAF
24th Jan 2009, 23:44
Morning all,

Any reason for the 1130 out of Liverpool to Nice, yesterday morning, being delayed?
The wife was on it and rang to say the flight was delayed 3 hours. Just curious, I want to bore her when she gets home tonight. That'll teach her to leave me with the kids for a weekend:E

yeo valley
25th Jan 2009, 03:07
delay to nice. i would think bad weather. winds of 120 mph down round that way, and heavy rain. lots of flights cancelled and diverted.

Seljuk22
25th Jan 2009, 08:19
Anyone with information about the further development of EZY in Italy? Heard they have applied and got slots at FCO and LIN and want to open FCO-LIN? Maybe @cesare knows more?

plasticAF
26th Jan 2009, 18:26
Thanks Yeo, appreciate the info

plasticaf

Bergkamp10
27th Jan 2009, 07:45
Hello All,

Any news or developments on this route, I cannot seem to be able too book any seats for March?

dwlpl
27th Jan 2009, 09:19
Restarts March 29th.

Schedule is Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

cesare.caldi
28th Jan 2009, 17:04
Anyone with information about the further development of EZY in Italy? Heard they have applied and got slots at FCO and LIN and want to open FCO-LIN? Maybe @cesare knows more? Easyjet is ready to annunce new routes from MXP

AGPwallah
29th Jan 2009, 15:47
See Andy Harrison has just sold 400,000 shares at £3.26 each. :E:E

davidjohnson6
29th Jan 2009, 15:54
How many shares does AH still hold ?

His sale at the very least indicates that there is no significant information to come out which is not already in the public domain - otherwise he'd potentially be liable for insider trading.

racedo
29th Jan 2009, 17:35
See Andy Harrison has just sold 400,000 shares at £3.26 each.

Did he sell or was it crystallisation of share options ?

If it former then with passenger numbers potentially catvhing up with last year the share price may be in for a rough ride. If the latter then potentially a non issue.

Seljuk22
30th Jan 2009, 12:55
What's going on at Munich? Read in forums that LTN and LGW (remember EI new double daily flights from April!) should come for summer! STN is already double daily, AB cancelled their double daily connection last autumn.

Seljuk22
31st Jan 2009, 12:34
LIN-FCO and LIN-NAP

Il monopolio di Alitalia: anche EasyJet vuole viaggiare tra Milano e Roma. Meglio volare italiano o risparmiare? - Schegge di Vetro (http://scheggedivetro.blogosfere.it/2009/01/il-monopolio-di-alitalia-anche-easyjet-vuole-viaggiare-tra-milano-e-roma-meglio-volare-italiano-o-ri.html)

Su L'Espresso di oggi (http://www.dagospia.com/rubrica-4/business/articolo-3188.htm), invece, è EasyJet a chiedere maggior spazio per poter volare e far risparmiare sulle tratte Milano-Roma e Milano-Napoli...

Harrison: Purtroppo una situazione di monopolio quale quella che la nuova Alitalia ha ancora su Linate-Fiumicino, o Linate-Napoli, rappresenta senza ombra di dubbio un grave danno per i consumatori. Il salvataggio di Alitalia si rivolge al sintomo, ma non alla causa del male: aver permesso una posizione di monopolio assoluto a una sola compagnia su tratte di straordinaria importanza per il Paese. Il povero consumatore italiano si trova quindi a pagare tre volte: prima per delle tariffe non competitive, dopo per il salasso del salvataggio, e ora ancora per tariffe troppo alte sul Linate-Fiumicino, e sul Linate-Napoli.

Also here:
IL JET È EASY, IL MONOPOLIO è HARD – MILANO-ROMA A 60-100 EURO (ALTRO CHE ALITALIA: 350) - PARLA IL BOSS DI EASY JET: “CI SONO 150 SLOT A FIUMICINO CHE ALITALIA NON USA DALL’AUTUNNO SCORSO. Il salvataggio CURA Il sintomo, ma non la causa del male”… (http://www.dagospia.com/rubrica-4/business/articolo-3188.htm)

SKY's4ME
31st Jan 2009, 16:46
Does this mean more expansion into Italy for Easyjet?

Seljuk22
4th Feb 2009, 12:35
New daily flights from LGW to ZRH, VIE and MUC starting 2nd April!
Furthermore SXF-CAG 2/7 starting 1st April.

In their german press release EZY announced a huge expansion with 13 new routes!

easyJet, Europas führender Günstigflieger, kündigt heute eine weitere Expansion mit insgesamt 13 neuen Strecken in ganz Europa an, darunter neue Verbindungen ab Deutschland, Österreich und der Schweiz.

Up to now nothing in English on their page.

Edit: New routes
MXP-HER/RHO/SPU/DBV
ORY-DVB/FAO
LYS-PSA

easyboy22
4th Feb 2009, 18:09
Also new route Man-Dlm starts in aug. would have thought bit late in season unless its going through next winter.

en2r
4th Feb 2009, 18:57
New daily flights from LGW to ZRH, VIE and MUC starting 2nd April!
It seems the battlelines with Aer Lingus have been drawn. Aer Lingus will still have the advantage on Munich with their twice daily service, but Zurich and Vienna are once daily on either airline.
This means Easyjet will compete with Aer Lingus on all EI's European routes.

Seljuk22
5th Feb 2009, 08:49
I've heard EZY applied for double daily LGW and one daily LTN @ Munich but they got only a one daily flight.

Also new: Gatwick-Bodrum

But most of these 13 new routes are only for summer. In MXP the new routes are only for some weeks.

I think Greece and Turkey are good markets and even more during the summer. FR still not offer flights there and I think EZY should opens bases at ATH and SKG with connections to Europe and to the greek islands. To compete with OA should not be so difficult.

Linutor
5th Feb 2009, 19:00
Have there been any pilot redundancies at Easyjet lately? I'm getting conflicting information and would like to get my story straight. Thanks.

racedo
5th Feb 2009, 21:11
Easyjet Jan numbers

Total 2,839,617 up 2.8%
Load factor 75.7% up 3.7%

Feb figures will be full year incl GB airways but given disaster of this weeks cancellations for all airlines there may be too much noise in there to get a real picture,

EBU42
16th Feb 2009, 13:40
Just booked LYS-STN-LYS with Easyjet, and for the first time have been asked to provide passport info at time of booking. It wasn't clear if this was a required for arrival in the UK, or for the return leg to France (or both!) I have seen this info being asked for Spain. Is it now europe-wide?

Evanelpus
16th Feb 2009, 13:54
Just booked LYS-STN-LYS with Easyjet, and for the first time have been asked to provide passport info at time of booking. It wasn't clear if this was a required for arrival in the UK, or for the return leg to France (or both!) I have seen this info being asked for Spain. Is it now europe-wide?

Had to do this two years ago when we flew LTN-AGP with Easyjet. We also had to do it again this year for the same journey. I don't think it applies to all European countries but I do think it's something the Spanish authorities require.

Standing by to be corrected.

Tom the Tenor
16th Feb 2009, 15:16
Has EZY LYS-SXF been dropped completely and if so what has it been replaced with instead?

Thanks.

IB4138
16th Feb 2009, 15:26
API is now required by UK for all inbound passengers.

davidjohnson6
16th Feb 2009, 16:06
API is now required by UK for all inbound passengers.IB4138 - I know that all flights from the UK to Spain need to provide API, but when did the UK start requiring API of flights from the rest of the EU to the UK ? While the UK Govt Department of Transport has details about this for flights from the UK to Spain, I couldn't see mention of this requirement for flights into the UK for EU citizens. I'm just very surprised there hasn't been more noise about this from the press

Seljuk22
16th Feb 2009, 16:19
LYS-SXF was dropped last November with the beginning of the winter schedule. The flight was there for only one year and I don't think it comes back. Was the flight operated by a SXF based a/c or LYS based a/c? There were a lot of reduction this winter compared with the last at SXF. At least 1 a/c is gone at SXF (currently 8 or only 7 based a/c). So no compensation.

IB4138
16th Feb 2009, 16:47
Per Home office UK Border Agency web site:

Advance information on passengers
Before you travel to the UK

This page explains why we collect information about passengers before their journey and how it may affect you when you travel to and from the United Kingdom.

We are modernising our border control by introducing electronic collection of information on passengers, services, and crew provided by air, sea and rail carriers for all journeys to or from the United Kingdom. It will allow us to identify people who are a potential risk before they travel and to alert the relevant authorities.

The carrier will be legally required to collect this information and provide it to us as part of the check-in process. Passengers who do not give the information to the carrier are unlikely to be allowed to travel.

Our electronic system has already allowed us to check more than 80 million journeys made by passengers before they travelled. This has resulted in more than 2,800 arrests.

Our name for this programme of modernisation is e-Borders. See e-Borders for more information about the programme and when it will come into effect.

At the moment, owners and operators of fishing boats and pleasure craft (for example yachts) and light aircraft do not have to provide this information, but we expect to start activating a trial programme with them in 2010. For more information about this, and details of the requirements that carriers will need to meet, see e-Borders requirements for carriers and ports.

We will activate e-Borders in stages, to allow time for us to set up the necessary systems for transferring information between the government agencies involved and the vast number of carriers, transport operators, port authorities and individuals. Those who will be affected can be large organisations such as scheduled and charter airlines, ferry and cruise ships, and through-tunnel rail operators. They can also be small or independent carriers for example fishing boats, working shipping vessels, business and cargo charter flights and the individual leisure yachting and private aircraft pilots.

You can find the specific e-Borders requirements for these groups in e-Borders requirements for carriers and ports.

The timetable is:

* 2009: the e-Borders operations centre, the National Border Targeting Centre (NBTC) starts operating, enabling us to create travel histories for passengers;
* December 2009: e-Borders aims to collect details of 60% of all international passengers and crews from a range of carriers and to check that 60% against lists of people who are of interest to authorities;
* December 2010: e-Borders aims to collect details of 95% of passengers and crews;
* April 2011: we start to activate modernised entry methods at our ports;
* July 2012: improvements including an ability to give clearance to passengers who are already on a train;
* March 2014: e-Borders is fully operational, covering all international travellers using all our ports, including matching passengers' arrivals to their departures.

Some airlines are already collecting the information.

mzgoo
18th Feb 2009, 17:15
EZY will be taking delivery of brand new A320's soon.
The regs will start GEZT? With the 1st one being GEZTA.

MancRy
19th Feb 2009, 22:53
G-EZTA was delivered Today.....or was supposed to.

Hollymead
22nd Feb 2009, 16:51
Is it true Easyjet are changing handling agents at STN next Saturday a month earlier than planned , im flying out Saturday and am a bit concerned . :(

jetsetwilly
22nd Feb 2009, 19:37
Yep and what exactly are you worried about:confused:

JSW.

Hollymead
22nd Feb 2009, 20:07
1st day chaos resulting in my flight being delayed would be my obvious worry .

jetsetwilly
22nd Feb 2009, 20:30
Nah, you'll be fine!!!

JSW.

racedo
5th Mar 2009, 09:58
Easyjet Feb numbers

Total 3,018,910 down 6.8%
Load factor 87% up 2.4%

Taking account of an extra day in 2008 the real decline is 3.5%.

Drink Up Thee Cider
5th Mar 2009, 10:57
What's happened to EZY shares on the back of this, anyone know?

pabely
5th Mar 2009, 12:13
Stock prices are going down but all airlines are today....

racedo
5th Mar 2009, 14:30
What's happened to EZY shares on the back of this, anyone know?

No impact as it was expected and well telegraphed.

Easyjet has shown distorted growth over the last 12 months as its acquisition of GB was completed 31st Jan 2008 and thereafter its numbers showed the combined effect without a like for like comparison of what GB was doing before hand. Therefore its growth over the last 12 months was distorted and once it was a real like for like comparison then the numbers were bound to be poor.

OliWW
9th Mar 2009, 20:58
Does anyone know what aircraft type will be operating LGW-MAH, heard it might be a A320?

MUFC_fan
9th Mar 2009, 22:02
easyJet's will be an A319 while ZB will fly the A320.

jettesen
9th Mar 2009, 22:28
How can you possibly say its a 319 when the flights havent even started yet?? It could well be a 320 as certain flights are moving over from a 319 to the 320. only time will tell

MUFC_fan
9th Mar 2009, 23:15
Well I am sure that easyJet will have some idea of what they will be doing in the summer and Amadeus and OAG are still saying A319 so I would, for now, and probably most of the summer, assume MAH will be an A319.

--------------------------------------

Sorry...U2 WILL be using the A320 on the route. They will be doing different days for different aircraft (A319/320).

My mistake...:ok:

uncovered
10th Mar 2009, 10:52
Encouraged by BA's growing lack of interest in LGW I'm hearing strong rumours that EZY will open up LGW-MAN on a 4 daily basis. Anyone hearing the same?

jettesen
10th Mar 2009, 14:13
vey much doubt that. BA struggle to get their man flights 50% full, and EZY wont benefit any better. They dropped their LPL -LTN flights and they were 95% full all the time!!

pug
10th Mar 2009, 18:01
Im pretty sure that Easyjet could do without the expense of feeder type services that the bigger hub airlines use. It would be an added cost particularly if flights are delayed etc and EZY have to take on the cost and hassle, as you point out MUFC-Fan, would they not be obliged to offer overnight accomodation for people who have missed flights etc?

From an outsiders perspective surely they can just carry on selling seperate flights and its up to the passenger to make sure they check in etc...