PDA

View Full Version : GATWICK

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Airlift21
5th Dec 2010, 18:33
Sun Country Airlines will be operating Minneapolis to Gatwick via Gander in Canada. I think they will be operating 737-700/800 aircraft for the 1st leg, but does anybody know what will be used for Gander to Gatwick? It seems that it will be a twice weekly service on Saturdays and Sundays.

Random Flyer
5th Dec 2010, 18:38
Sun Country Airlines will be operating Minneapolis to Gatwick via Gander in Canada. I think they will be operating 737-700/800 aircraft for the 1st leg, but does anybody know what will be used for Gander to Gatwick? It seems that it will be a twice weekly service on Saturdays and Sundays.

I would guess the exact same aircraft, which explains the fuel stop in Gander.

Ringwayman
5th Dec 2010, 18:38
It's the same 737.

Airlift21
5th Dec 2010, 19:27
Thanks. It seems like a long way for a 737 though.

adfly
5th Dec 2010, 19:54
If the service performs well perhaps Sun Country should look at buying a cheap used 757 or two to operate the route non-stop at a higher frequency (NW used to operate the route daily on a A333) and then if the frequency reduced for the winter then the 757(s) could be used for the more popular sun routes from the US to the Caribbean.

True Blue
5th Dec 2010, 21:40
There is a flight on arrivals for the morning from Accra, KFA403 @ 5.10am. Who is this?

True Blue

Airlift21
5th Dec 2010, 23:14
Apparantly KFA stands for Kelowna Flightcraft Air Charter, who are based in British Colombia. They lease aircraft worldwide. I only googled KFA briefly, but that's its ICAO code.

Airllift21.

Skipness One Echo
6th Dec 2010, 09:37
I believe the whole point is to maintain ETOPs currency for other services to the Carribbean that don'r run during the Northern summer. Hence a once weekly jaunt to Stansted arriving Saturday, crew rest and back Sunday.

Chap6168
7th Dec 2010, 12:22
Can anyone explain what happens to the snow when it has been pushed to the edge of the runway? The runway edge lights are on small stalks, but it seems to me that as soon as there is any significant amount of snow, they must end up buried in a snow bank. Do they have to dig them out individually? Presumably at airports where they expect a lot of snow, they use blowers to blow the snow well clear of the runway edge.

Gatwick's edge lights are inset/flush mounted therefore snow ploughs are not a problem the excess snow is pushed well clear of these fittings.
The lights shown in the previous photo of snow clearing at Gatwick are not runway edge lights.

bunatern
8th Dec 2010, 17:59
united airways bangladesh restarting there DAC-DXB-LGW-ZYL route sunday 12th dec with A310 1 weekly,wonder how long it will last this time.

True Blue
8th Dec 2010, 18:08
Aerosvit starting Kiev from 1/3/11 daily with A321.

TB

Aero Mad
8th Dec 2010, 18:32
Not October 31st? Aerosvit : Gatwick Airport Forum (http://ukairportforums.prophpbb.com/topic1514.html)

jimmysam
13th Dec 2010, 21:56
bunatern
united airways bangladesh restarting there DAC-DXB-LGW-ZYL route sunday 12th dec with A310 1 weekly, wonder how long it will last this time.

I herd that they will also like to fly to BHX and MAN. But if United airways bd struggle to fly to LGW, BHX and MAN are very unlikely.

globetrotter79
16th Dec 2010, 11:16
easyJet daily LGW-ABZ has also now appeared in their booking engine

Keyvon
16th Dec 2010, 11:21
easyJet has announced several new routes for the coming summer season :

Aberdeen, Scotland - daily
Amman, Jordan - 3 times weekly
Bologna, Italy - daily
Izmir, Turkey - 2 times weekly
Seville, Spain - 4 times weekly
Verona, Italy - daily

Skipness One Echo
16th Dec 2010, 11:23
easyJet daily LGW-ABZ has also now appeared in their booking engine

Starts 3rd June apparently, single daily rotation from the South Terrible.

compton3bravo
16th Dec 2010, 13:09
I would have thought with easyJet basing 46 aircraft at the airport from next summer the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) would be having a look at the dominant position the airline would have at the airport. Comments please.

jerboy
16th Dec 2010, 13:27
compton:

In which case they would have to look at BA at LHR, BE at SOU, ASW at PLH... Why should they?

Skipness One Echo
16th Dec 2010, 14:37
BA used to be just as dominant at LGW, it's just the focus went from blue to orange with a quick pause to laugh at green.

airhumberside
16th Dec 2010, 17:29
So long as Easyjet don't abuse their position, nothing that can be done about it. Dominance is only an issue if it's abused

Trinity 09L
16th Dec 2010, 18:55
I am SLF on TCX20K Monday morning, I know the weather is likely to deterioate over the weekend, but hopefully we will get away.
Couple of questions. Will the 767 be there overnight beforehand or inbound from another service - delays?. This aircraft will be returning with pax from Acapulco, so somehow it will get away to bring these back - then how will effect future schedules, not sure what happened in the last snowstorm with long haul charter schedules.:ok:

Capetonian
20th Dec 2010, 07:17
I have passed through LGW 5 times in the last 10 days. Yesterday afternoon I arrived on a delayed inbound and having missed my onward flight (I took a calculated risk on this) I wanted to rebook for this morning. The easyJet ticket desk was closed and the queue for the 'cancelled flights' counters which were dealing with rebookings was horrendous, so I did it online, expensive but effective.

My mates were I normally stay in Surrey were snowed in and there was no guarantee that if I got there I'd be able to get back to the airport for my early morning departure, so I thought I'd find a hotel at the airport. The Yotel was full, with queues of people lying on the floor who were 'waitlisted' according to the rather haughty receptionist.

I went to the hotel bureau in the S. Terminal and was told that the only thing they could offer was the Sofitel at almost £200, which for a few hours I thought was a bit extravagant, so I looked for a convenient piece of floor and then thought really at my stage in life I don't feel like sleeping on airport floors unless there is no alternative. So I rang a few hotels in the area and they nearly ALL had rooms, anywhere from £30 to £120. I also found that laterooms.com was showing some availability.

So what exactly is the point of this 'service'? Just to get commission from preferred providers? I will, of course, be writing to them to complain but the purpose of this posting is just to say do not trust what people in these places tell you. I just thought they might offer an easy alternative to the DIY approach but clearly they are as much use as a wooden fireguard.

WHBM
20th Dec 2010, 09:36
So what exactly is the point of this 'service'? Just to get commission from preferred providers?
Absolutely. And only with places who have rates sufficiently high to justify working with them. It's a retail concession like any other in the airport, with a significant amount of the margin passed on to the airport owner's retail arm.

You will also find the individual hotels themselves charging a cheaper rate directly than through such agencies. You may like to approach them, find which places they offer, decline the quotes, and then call the hotels themselves directly.

Capetonian
20th Dec 2010, 10:03
If so, then this represents the ugly face of capitalism, it's a disgrace, and I am a capitalist through and through.

This is meant to be a service to passengers, particularly in difficult times like these last few days. I heard one young couple in tears at being told that nothing else was available. To some people £200 is a fortune, especially when it comes at the beginning or end of a holiday.

The least they could do is display a sign saying that they only deal with selected hotels and that other accommodation may be available to those who look for it.

Skipness One Echo
20th Dec 2010, 10:27
This is meant to be a service to passengers

No it's a money making enterprise offering a service to passengers. The free markets offers a Hell of a lot more options that an iPhone and a quick search would show. Anything on site at the airport is there to restrict my options to their own higher priced partial-monopoly. I mean look at WHSmith for God's sake, a Dick Turpin enterprise by any other name. The trick is to work round them where you can!

ericlday
20th Dec 2010, 19:51
Q) Egtt/qfalc/iv/nbo/a/000/999/5109n00011w005
B) From: 10/12/20 19:50c) To: 10/12/20 22:00 Est

E) Ad Closed For Snow Clearance

Capetonian
24th Dec 2010, 14:30
I have sent the following to Gatwick Airport 'feedback'.

Dear Sirs

On Sunday 19th. December, due to flight disruptions, I was obliged to stay overnight in the Gatwick area.

I went to the Hotel Booking Bureau in the South Terminal to enquire about options and was told that all hotels in the area were full except the airport Sofitel at £193/night, which to many people is a very large sum of money.

On making my own enquiries it took me less than 5 minutes to find ample accommodation in the area for, had I wanted it, as little as £30.

What this is presumably about is that the accommodation bureau at the airport only promotes hotels that offer commission, and although I understand that commercially this makes sense, it is exploitative and dishonest in the context of an organisation which purports to serve the travelling public, particularly at times when the system, and those obliged to use it, are under severe stress.

I would suggest that either this office is incentivised to offer a more comprehensive service, I can think of many ways of doing this, or made to display a notice advising people that they only deal with certain 'preferred providers' and that other accommodation may be available for those who have the motivation and means to look for it.

Please pass this on to the appropriate entity, and note that I expect a response.

Best regards

londonman
24th Dec 2010, 14:44
Good letter and be interesting to hear the reply. I can predict however that it won't actually say anything and just be meaningless empty phrases. It is precisely these sort of dubious trading practices that the Office of Fair Trading is supposed to regulate/prevent. Unfortunately they are pretty useless and should have gone on the Bonfire of the Quango's.

Capetonian
24th Dec 2010, 14:59
Indeed, I could probably write the response myself.

Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you for reaching out to us to communicate your concern over the service at one of our airport franchises.

Over the last year, Gatwick Airport has served over 30 million passengers and received under 2000 complaints (less than 0.007%), the majority of which were attributable to causes outside the control of the airport operator, for example weather conditions or airline operational factors.

The Hotel Bureau to which you refer has been operating for 18 years and serves an average of 250 passengers daily. The hotels it offers are constantly monitored and are of a high standard, selected to meet the requirements of the majority of those using it.

We trust that we can continue to count upon your support of Gatwick Airport in the future.

Yours spinelessly and meaninglessly

Fay Slessperson (Ms)
Customer Relations

Skipness One Echo
29th Dec 2010, 10:59
Anyone know when they're closing up? I know EZY's LGW-EDI and BFS are now in the North Terrible but wonder what the timescale and the plan is for the redevelpoment. Google was not my friend.

Anyone have a link?

Capetonian
4th Jan 2011, 18:26
This is the reply I received today from Gatwick.
Dear Mr ........

I am in receipt of your email dated 24 December and am sorry to learn that you have had reason to complain.

It may be helpful to explain that as the airport operator we provide the infrastructure in order that airlines, their agents and other third parties may carry out their business. Whilst we play no part in the British Hotel Reservations Centre, nevertheless we are always concerned to learn of any customer dissatisfaction with services provided by any business that has chosen to operate at London Gatwick as this reflects poorly on the airport as a whole.

As your complaint rests directly with BHRC, I must ask that you direct your concern to them if you wish to pursue this matter further. For information their website is www dot bhrconline dot com

To close, I am sorry not to be more helpful and regret the poor impression you have been left with on this occasion.

Yours sincerely

(name removed)
Customer Services

I rang the BHRC to get the name of a senior person to whom I could address a complaint, and was immediately put through to the person in question who gave me her name and email address. I have emailed her and would like to think that the follow up to my email will be handled as professionally as my telephone enquiry.

danielson81
6th Jan 2011, 19:17
"Go Gatwick, its fast becoming as international as Heathrow" (http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/mivana/mediaplayer.php?id=23ab82dab73552787936002ad7459cb6&media=gatwick_airport_1977&type=mp4) (1977)

Out Of Trim
7th Jan 2011, 01:36
Link gives Video Expired.. ! :confused:

VJW
7th Jan 2011, 11:02
Sorry if this question has been answered, I wasn't about to trawl through 40 odd pages to find out, but does anyone have any info on RYR possibly opening a base at LGW in the not too distant future?

Thanks

VJW

Jamie2k9
7th Jan 2011, 11:45
Not in the near future as Ryanair are dropping Milan BGY, Porto, Bologna and Faro. from the end of March.

Oslo Rygge, Kaunas and Stockholm Skavsta have being reduced for Summer 2011.

pamann
7th Jan 2011, 12:35
Maybe trying to play Stansted off against Gatwick hasn't worked after all for FR! :ok:

VJW
7th Jan 2011, 13:34
Perhaps, but not sure the selling of Gatwick by BAA has really taken that much of an effect yet regarding the game/battle RYR are hoping for..

True Blue
16th Jan 2011, 17:43
Flew from Lgw to Bfs last Friday afternoon @ 17.30. Arrived on the train, so took the transfer shuttle to the North terminal. The route to the transfer platform has been modernised and the new trains in operation, running every 3 minutes. Up to check-in, no queue at the Easy bag drop. To security, through in less than 5 minutes, staff very pleasant and plenty of security lanes open.

I have to say I was very pleased with my experience and I am starting to believe that Lgw is finally getting finished with the old Baa attitudes and the new owners are starting to make a difference.

True Blue

macuser
19th Jan 2011, 09:50
My recent experiences of security at both North and South Terminals were good. Staff helpful, polite and going out of their way to explain matters. Hardly any queues.

Skipness One Echo
19th Jan 2011, 10:10
Epic fail on Saturday morning at the South Terminal. Bored middle aged woman directing traffic upstairs to security with the minor detail that downstairs was clearly not busy. No queue for the boarding card check, staff sitting and waiting and a reasonable sized queue for security visible. Upstairs was a queue of thirty people before the boarding card check and a further long queue for security. Upstairs has a fraction of the lanes that downstairs had open and quiet.

Spoke to "the man in the white shirt" who said that in the summer everything would be on one level and much better. He had no answer as to why there was no apparent logic or queue management in place and I should be alright as I wasn't going to miss my flight. It's not rocket science to have a team lead keeping an eye on which queue is big and which one is small and direct people accordingly. Such a glaringly obvious way to reduce stress and make the airport experince a better one.

Saturday evening LGW North much better but a Saturday evening in January is not where the challenge lies.

BAladdy
19th Jan 2011, 18:01
Norwegian will drop it's 2 x weekly LGW/TOS service for 27th March

Norwegian to cancel Tromsø – London Gatwick from late-Mar 2011 AIRLINE ROUTE (http://airlineroute.net/2011/01/18/dy-toslgw-cxld/)

ImPlaneCrazy
20th Jan 2011, 16:56
Is the upstairs security area fairly new? Last few times I've flown out of there I've always used the lower level security but on Friday I see they were using both levels!

LGS6753
6th Feb 2011, 12:23
Looking at the Gatwick website, it looks as though the era of the overseas charter carrier is over. Whilst there are numerous flights operated by Thomson, Thomas Cook and to a lesser extent Monarch, there are very few others. It would appear that Viking's announcement of its withdrawal from Gatwick robs the airport of its fourth largest charter carrier.
The remaining charter flights are being operated by Onur Air (8 per week), Balkan (1), Bulgaria Air (1) and Air Transat (8).

adfly
6th Feb 2011, 15:32
But capacity-wise it should easily be made up for by the extra BA and EZY flights, as well as extra capacity and routes from DY, AB, TK and others.

sam1993
6th Feb 2011, 15:50
And two new charter airlines to Gatwick - Tor Air and Strategic Airlines will be taking over the majority of the lost Monarch Olympic flights.

pamann
6th Feb 2011, 16:38
Tor Air and Strategic Airlines

Maybe it's just me but are we running out of names to call _____ Airlines/Air/Airways? What odd names both have. Reminds me of 'Small Planet Airlines' which to me sounds like something made by Fischer Price. :}

Also who are they? Have I missed something as I've never heard of either here in the UK.

lbalad
6th Feb 2011, 16:50
Google is a fantastic tool!.

Tor Air a Swedish 737 operator.

Strategic Airlines Europe A320 based in Luxembourg.

Seljuk22
7th Feb 2011, 11:40
Aerosvit will launch 5 weekly flights to Kiev from 2nd March. From 27th March flights will be daily.

VV225 KBP1105 – 1250LGW 321 D
VV226 LGW1350 – 1915KBP 321 D

Aerosvit S11 Operation Changes: Update 2 – Revised Service Expansion AIRLINE ROUTE (http://airlineroute.net/2011/02/04/vv-s11-update2/)

Seljuk22
19th Feb 2011, 19:42
Norwegian will add another daily flight to ARN and CPH from May. As a result OSL, CPH and ARN will be served up to 3 times daily.

wowzz
19th Feb 2011, 21:08
As an in-frequent user of LGW, I would like to say that my recent outbound and inbound experiences were really good, and much better than 3 or 4 years ago. Everywhere seems much cleaner and neater, or is in the process of being 'done-up'. The renovated shuttle is much improved as well.
The sooner BAA is forced to sell STN the better, if LGW is anything to go by.

True Blue
20th Feb 2011, 19:35
Sunday Times business section had a piece today re the court decision on BAA having to sell more airports. In the article, it stated that Air Asia X are in discussions with Gatwick about a move and they quote "had big plans for Lgw".

True Blue

Aero Mad
21st Feb 2011, 12:24
Some Gatwick news that got forwarded to me, originally intended for spotters but quite interesting.

> An intriguing bundle of facts & rumours mostly thanks to Mr Anon of Furnace Green:

> *Air Asia X & the airport are currently exploring the possibility of moving the current Stansted service to Gatwick.

> *Air Atlanta. As expected, the carrier will operate a four times weekly B743 service to Canadian destinations this summer.

> *Air One has shown interest in operating a twice-daily Milan/Malpensa service.

> *Blue1 is planning to start a daily early morning service to Helsinki from late August or early September.

> *Cimber Sterling is currently planning a lunchtime ATR Billund rotation this summer.

> *Luxair has shown interest in operating a twice-daily Luxembourg service.

> *Norwegian Shuttle will add weekday lunchtime rotations from Copenhagen & Stockholm/Arlanda this summer, giving us up to 16 flights on some days.

> *Qatar A/W. It is thought that the aircraft released from Gatwick operations will be used to add a second daily Manchester service.

> *Ryanair is yet again throwing its toys out of the pram & says it will suspend 18 routes from Girona (including our RYR9228/9) from the first week of May. It appears that the temperamental carrier is having another dispute with the Catalan authorities, doubtless over money.

> *Strategic A/L is to base an A320 at Gatwick this summer to operate flights on behalf of Olympic Holidays.

> *Tunis Air is not currently showing any scheduled services to Gatwick after the end of March (subject to change), though a charter flight to Enfidha will operate from June.

> *Vietnam A/L. The airport is actively talking to this carrier.

Skipness One Echo
21st Feb 2011, 13:34
Qatar A/W. It is thought that the aircraft released from Gatwick operations will be used to add a second daily Manchester service.

Is this a QR pullout then?

airhumberside
21st Feb 2011, 21:44
Air Asia X rumour also mentioned in The Sunday Times yesterday, along with possibly the rest of the AB STN operation moving to Gatwick

Norweigan start a lunchtime ARN on weekdays from May according to the airline route blog

LGW_08R
21st Feb 2011, 23:03
NAX are also adding a 3rd daily flight to Oslo. That makes, ARN, OSL and CPH all with 3 daily flights. They certainly are getting themselves established before easyJet inevitably move into the region.

As for AB, I think its a given that the operation will all move over in time, like NAX did. I suspect they are just attempting to get suitable slots for their flights, are the ones that are left at STN not peak times, with the exception of like a midday Munster?

Air Asia X, interesting. Could be good for the airline, could be catastrophic. Have to see how that one pans out.

Edit: From the list above, the Luxair and Vietnam mentions are of considerable interest. I imagine that Vietnam are also talking to Heathrow so its only understandably that they are talking to Gatwick. But Luxair seems odd. Would this addition be to complement their LCY flights or instead of?

8R

globetrotter79
22nd Feb 2011, 07:33
Luxair would presumably be looking to cater for the "gap" in the market resulting from BA moving its London-Luxembourg flights to LHR; so my guess is that any LGW flights would be additional to the LCY operation. All that said, LGW Management tend not to be too excited by the prospect of additional small capacity regional props/jets coming into LGW at peak times so it would be interesting to see if Luxair actually manage to find themselves any slots.

MUFC_fan
22nd Feb 2011, 08:38
From the list above, the Luxair and Vietnam mentions are of considerable interest. I imagine that Vietnam are also talking to Heathrow so its only understandably that they are talking to Gatwick

I agree - Skyteam doesn't have the biggest presence at LHR which I'm sure makes it less attractive, although I would guess still the number one choice.

STN Ramp Rat
23rd Feb 2011, 18:40
*Vietnam A/L. The airport is actively talking to this carrier*

I understand the local UK management are OK with LGW but the head office only want LHR

*Luxair has shown interest in operating a twice-daily Luxembourg service.

I can't see it, there current route to London is to LCY and it is heavily populated by city workers for the banks, why move

*Air Asia X & the airport are currently exploring the possibility of moving the current Stansted service to Gatwick.

I believe this requires the UK/Malaysia bilateral to be renegotiated but I might be wrong.

As for AB, I think its a given that the operation will all move over in time, like NAX did. I suspect they are just attempting to get suitable slots for their flights, are the ones that are left at STN not peak times, with the exception of like a midday Munster?

I very much doubt it, the passenger flows between FMO and PAD are to a location to the north east of london, and they have a very big corporate client that I believe would be upset with a move of these services to LGW.

Seljuk22
24th Feb 2011, 11:29
BA will end LGW-SSH on 3rd May.

wowzz
24th Feb 2011, 20:48
I recall that Gatwick was supposedly the busiest [I assume most movements] single runway airport in the world. Can anyone confirm if that is in fact the case?
Also, at what capacity is LGW currently operating - how many more flights can it physically handle?

kdhurst380
24th Feb 2011, 21:13
LGW is indeed the worlds busiest single runway airport, in terms of pax numbers at least, and has been for a number of years. In terms of movements, I couldn't give you an average, but I have heard before that the record number was in the region of 70 movements in an hour. That's some efficient ATC.

Seljuk22
28th Feb 2011, 16:43
QR will pull out of LGW
Travel News | Travel News Online | Travel Daily UK (http://www.traveldaily.co.uk/AsiaPacificNews/Detail.aspx?Section=22114)

compton3bravo
28th Feb 2011, 17:35
Hot on the heels of Qatar pulling out of Gatwick comes the news that Air Baltic is also pulling out of Gatwick along with a number of other European cities blaming Ryanair and Wizz for introducing new services from Vilnuis.

LGW_08R
28th Feb 2011, 18:01
In reply to C3B's post. The only route Air Baltic have dropped is the Vilnius route, Riga will still operate.

None the less, still a shame to see these two reductions on flights and the loss of another airline.

jpthomas72
28th Feb 2011, 18:39
BT's Vilnius route was very half-hearted: 3/week, only in the summer. Fares pretty high, comparable to connecting flights from LHR. Not a big loss. They had the chance to keep VNO-LGW strong, but decided to let it dry-out over this winter (when there were no direct flights at all VNO-London), so VNO looked for alternatives and found Wizzair (LTN) and Ryanair (STN). A substantial fraction of the RIX passengers were actually for VNO (RIX-VNO is a shuttle, some 7x daily), but those will now be less. Of course they still have all those e.g. Russian or Estonian connections via RIX. Plus to western Lithuania (PLQ) were BT still has the monopoly. BTW I guess not many of you still remember the proud 'Lithuanian Airlines' sign in the North Terminal by the BA check-in.

adfly
28th Feb 2011, 20:13
Weren't Emirates looking at upgrading the morning DXB flight from a 772 to a 77W sometime soon. I wonder if they will consider using the A380 on one of the flights to make up for the capacity to the middle east lost by the QR pullout.

MUFC_fan
28th Feb 2011, 20:16
I think the capacity is about right now. LGW seems very much as if it's becoming a long haul airport mainly for leisure travel as opposed to both.

I think EK will be content with the decrease in competition but traffic, if there is any excess, will simply move over to LHR.

Just my opinion anyway, others may differ but I seriously doubt we'll see an A380 at LGW from DXB any time soon...

adfly
28th Feb 2011, 20:22
I was mainly thinking about the connecting traffic to the endless eastern destinations both leisure and business orientated which the MEB3 airlines seem to serve!! An A380 may be a step to far for now but I have heard a couple of times about the morning flight being upgraded to a 77W and this is supported by the fact that Emirates want to get rid of some of their older 772's replacing them with some of the 77W's on order.

pwalhx
28th Feb 2011, 21:10
It will probably ahve to wait till they have an A380 spare to operate the route anyway.

Skipness One Echo
28th Feb 2011, 21:30
Weren't Emirates looking at upgrading the morning DXB flight from a 772 to a 77W sometime soon. I wonder if they will consider using the A380 on one of the flights to make up for the capacity to the middle east lost by the QR pullout.

It did used to be and often still is a B773 or B77W. There are no A380 stands anywhere near the terminal buildings, I believe the A380 stands are the 230s, the new remote stands beyond Hangar 7.

Airlift21
1st Mar 2011, 00:56
I think it was rather strange that the A380 stands have been built so far away from both of the terminals, unless they are only expecting LGW to be used for diversions. Or unless they plan to build some sort of facility to accommodate scheduled services in this area, but I very much doubt it. I was at Gatwick a few weeks ago and the 230's do seem to be the only stands large enough to take an A380, unless my eyes deceived me and other stands have been re-sized, otherwise it just doesn't make much sense ( how many coaches would you need to fill a fully laden A380?! ) And who fancies towing the baggage that far?

bravoromeosierra
1st Mar 2011, 06:20
Surely they could modify an existing gate in the north terminal should needs arise?

compton3bravo
1st Mar 2011, 07:19
Thanks for putting me right LGW 08R but how long will Riga last with both Wizz and Ryanair both operating the route from Luton and Stansted (plus other UK airports) respectively?

flyer55
1st Mar 2011, 19:05
So Qatar will no longer be flying to LGW , so just wondering who is getting their slots at lgw north terminal , me think Easyjet !!

Seljuk22
2nd Mar 2011, 08:26
Sunwing Airline (Canadian holiday/charter airline) will operate 4 weekly flights with a leased B767 to Toronto (YYZ) from mid June until mid September.

Toronto – London Gatwick 4 weekly
WG200 YYZ2120 – 0940+1LGW 767 45
WG200 YYZ2140 – 1000+1LGW 767 7
WG200 YYZ2150 – 1010+1LGW 767 2
WG201 LGW1140 – 1450YYZ 767 56
WG201 LGW1200 – 1510YYZ 767 1
WG201 LGW1210 – 1520YYZ 767 3

Sunwing Airlines to launch Canada – Europe service in S11 AIRLINE ROUTE (http://airlineroute.net/2011/03/02/wg-europe-s11/)

Skipness One Echo
2nd Mar 2011, 10:31
WG is the old Worldways Canada code, replaced WB in 1988 (!)
Will be odd to see that back on the boards again.

Seljuk22
3rd Mar 2011, 07:46
Olympic Air will end its operation to London eff 27th March
Olympic Air - Olympic Air - Changes in Destination Network (http://www.olympicair.com/News.aspx?a_id=2257)

LGS6753
5th Mar 2011, 16:54
The Telegraph reports that Gatwick's new owners have taken a £330 million dividend, just 15 months after completing their deal to buy the airport from BAA.
Technical financial reasons behind the deal, but it doesn't look good for anyone, let alone BAA - did they sell it too cheaply?

Seljuk22
7th Mar 2011, 10:43
Rossiya lauchned 2 weekly flights to St. Petersburg yesterday. From the end of May flight will increase to 5 weekly.
Rossiya Airlines shifts London service to Gatwick | AIRLINE ROUTE (http://airlineroute.net/2011/03/07/fv-lgw/)

TartinTon
7th Mar 2011, 13:10
Monarch showing 3 x weekly Bodrum flights on the website. Looks like they've converted the exisiting charters and added a frequency. :ok:

True Blue
26th Mar 2011, 19:50
Is Lgw - Saw being dropped at the end of S11? Not on sale yet for W11. If it is being dropped, why has it failed?

TB

ericlday
26th Mar 2011, 21:01
Is Lgw - Saw being dropped at the end of S11? Not on sale yet for W11. If it is being dropped, why has it failed?
Why do most routes fail ?.....lack of customers, not making sufficient return etc.

True Blue
27th Mar 2011, 00:25
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I know perfectly well why routes fail. But SAW surprises me. demand to Turkey is rising, the Turkish economy is going well, I believe. Pegasus and TK seem to be making a success of flights to SAW from STN. Maybe the route just isn't loaded yet, but if it is dropped, I am surprised that Easy didn't make it work. I believe Saw is on sale from Ltn.

TB

jdcg
27th Mar 2011, 10:59
SAW does very well from STN and LTN because the Turkish / Kurdish / Turkish Cypriot community in London is mostly around NE London.
Although LGW is easy to get to by train, if you're picking up family and friends by car then you'd choose STN or LTN anyday. We live in the area and that's what we do.
LGW does well with flights to the Turkish beach resorts though...

beauport potato man
27th Mar 2011, 17:02
I operated the easyJet LGW-SAW today with 95% load factor. Ground staff seemed to think the flights were still very popular, but who knows - HEL is being dropped from LGW/MAN/CDG because (even though popular and profitable) the a/c can make MORE money on another route.

BPM

Jamie2k9
27th Mar 2011, 22:46
Part of HEL going may be because of high airport charges.

ImPlaneCrazy
12th Apr 2011, 18:18
Now I know this is a bit late, but I was travelling through LGW South on 01/04/11 and noticed there was a 5K (Odessa Airlines) flight departing to Georgetown via Mount Pleasant. Presuming this is the Mount Pleasant in South Carolina?

Anybody know if this is a regular operation or just a one off charter?

adfly
12th Apr 2011, 18:37
It is a weekly charter operated by a Hifly Airbus A310. I'm not sure who/what it is for and whether you can buy tickets on it or not though.

canberra97
12th Apr 2011, 22:59
ImPlaneCrazy I think you need to get an Atlas :-)

Georgetown is the capital of Guyana which is in South America and Mount Pleasant is the airport for Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands.

What made you think of the airport being in South Carolina you mentioned!

ImPlaneCrazy
13th Apr 2011, 12:57
canberra97, I often think that I need an atlas too! :}

However what made me think of Mt Pleasant in SC is having an old friend that now lives in Charleston which is practically next door! As you can see from my best friend Google Maps...

Mt Pleasant, SC (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x88fe6d16ae1ee5f5:0x6b90509f7d5d01e3&q=mount+pleasant&hl=en&sll=32.794065,-79.862585&sspn=0.150138,0.256119&ie=UTF8&ll=32.87209,-80.017204&spn=0,0&t=h&z=12)

Would certainly be interesting to know what this flight is about!

Aero Mad
13th Apr 2011, 14:04
Guys just to clarify, not a trooping flight - this is an oil industry weekly charter which flies to the Falklands (Mount Pleasant Airport) via Georgetown (Ascension Island) with HiFly. Seats can be booked through the Falkland Islands Government Office in London, or you can fly on the RAF Tristars/Air Seychelles 767s from Brize.

canberra97
14th Apr 2011, 01:06
Many thanks for the clarifacation of the flights.

And I was under the impression it was Georgetown in Guyana I never thought of it being Georgetown on Ascension Island and Geography always being my top subject shame on me!

VOM1T
20th Apr 2011, 08:15
Looks like Gatwick is being chosen over Heathrow for the new direct services by VN from Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City starting later this year... or are the four services per week to be split between the two airports ?

Hwks
20th Apr 2011, 16:58
Can anyone explain why the iris scanner has disappeared from the south terminal . This is not a step forward

canberra97
21st Apr 2011, 07:09
Vomit

Vietnam Airlines have not chosen Gatwick over Heathrow as no London airport has been comfirmed yet!

The airline is considering both airports but as much as I would like to see them at Gatwick I am sure they will choose Heathow over Gatwick due to the connections possibilities at Heathrow as they are part of the Skyteam Aliance.

Although nothing has been officially comfirmed they intend to operate initially 4 flights a week and rising to a daily service so there is no chance of them splitting the flights between both London airports!

I think it is long overdue to see Vietnam Airlines in London what ever airport it will be as I am sure the route will be a great sucess!

What would be nice to see back at Gatwick is the return of Garuda although again they are going to be in Skyteam soon so if they ever return to the UK it may well be at Heathrow!

jamesp
1st May 2011, 19:47
my brother is going to orlando flying with virgin at xmas can anyone tell me what terminal virgin uses at gatwick, as he wants to book the car park. thanks if anyone can help.

Cazza_fly
1st May 2011, 20:05
my brother is going to orlando flying with virgin at xmas can anyone tell me what terminal virgin uses at gatwick, as he wants to book the car park. thanks if anyone can help.

South Terminal, though it's all on Virgin Atlantics website too.

BAladdy
9th May 2011, 18:10
LGW could very soon be offering direct flights to South Africa once again.

Comair plans to launch direct flights from Durban to London Gatwick in 2012. An exact launch date has not yet been announced.

BusinessDay - Durban to get London flight (http://www.businessday.co.za/articles/Content.aspx?id=142127)

Comair have not decided which of there two airline brands will be used to operate the service. Comair currently operate as a BA franchise carrier in South Africa. They also operate the low cost kulula.com brand.

Personally, I can't see BA allowing Comair to use the BA brand to operate the route. However BA could suprise everyone and lease one of there 767's that are planned for retirement from 2012 to Comair.

It will be interesting to see what decisions Comair come to over the months to come.

Nationwide was the last carrier to operate direct flights to South Africa from LGW. Unfortunately Nationwide's service to JNB was dropped in 2008.

canberra97
10th May 2011, 22:22
The only reason the Nationwide flights stopped was because of the airline going out of business not as if the flight was actually a failure.

With the fantastic new terminal at Durban and with the connections available I think it could work, I have previously flown Heathrow to Durban with SAA when they had a direct flight via J'burg in the 1980s.

davidjohnson6
11th May 2011, 23:49
More on Nationwide here... Nationwide had a rather eventful time in the months before finally closing - an engine falling off mid-air doesn't give the public much encouragement to make new bookings !

Nationwide Airlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_Airlines#Incidents_and_accidents)

BombardierCR7
16th May 2011, 18:30
I think Jamie2K9 that you have the wrong thread - these new Jet2 flights are for Glasgow rather than Gatwick?

Jamie2k9
16th May 2011, 18:33
Just after realising that thanks.

True Blue
19th May 2011, 21:12
See statement on Vietnam Airlines site that they are starting Gatwick 4x weekly by end of 2011.

TB

ayroplain
19th May 2011, 23:09
Saw this flight on the Gatwick South Terminal Departure screens this evening:

Sched........To............Flight No...........Status

22.40.....Gatwick........MON320T......GATE OPENS 21.40

Have just checked (12 midnight) the website Flight departures and the flight was showing departed to Gatwick AIRBORNE 22.52.

Could some kind soul explain what this flight is all about?

Jamie2k9
19th May 2011, 23:18
It's one of the MON aircraft positing to Dublin to operate there until Sunday. It was an A320 and the A321 also cam from MAN.

Leonard320
20th May 2011, 22:11
Hi

This flight with a T is a training flight. however last night this aircraft was meant to go to DUB for the charter work, but it ended up in Luton due to an A/C change due to better performance.

Thanks
Ben

ayroplain
20th May 2011, 23:25
Thanks to both of you for the info but why would a training flight (or a positioning flight for that matter) be displayed on the passenger screens in the Terminal Lounge?

ImPlaneCrazy
20th May 2011, 23:38
Well in an ideal world you wouldn't have it on there, but some flights have to be cancelled off the screens and this one was obviously missed. Crisis averted! :}

Same with positioning flights as well, sometimes you'll see those on your local FIDS...

aimiez_30
21st May 2011, 22:56
If ever there may be some delays on the flights? Is there any possibility that we can have quick access on the nearest hotels that we can stay? Thanks in advance http://imagicon.info/cat/8-2/icon_biggrin.gif

pamann
23rd May 2011, 01:16
Sorry I'm a bit lost here? Do you mean the departure board? You want it like some interactive 'Google' service? Come on... Let's get serious on this one. Use your smart phone if such arises. :{

bunatern
31st May 2011, 17:19
according to gatwicks own website air nigeria are going to launch daily lagos flights from sept with A340-300.

Skipness One Echo
1st Jun 2011, 11:33
David Amurun, Air Nigeria’s Country Manager for the UK said: “Air Nigeria’s return to its long hub operations with a London-Lagos route is exciting news for passengers. Gatwick Airport has excellent links into London and the South East making it easily accessible for business travellers and passengers wishing to fly between the UK and Nigeria to spend time with friends and family. We look forward to commencing flights in September. “

Air Nigeria’s preference to operate its London-Lagos route from Gatwick sends a strong message that Gatwick is changing and becoming the London airport of choice for airlines wishing to establish and develop a strong London network

Hmmm "preference" to operate from Gatwick is funny, it kind of suggests they looked at Heathrow and went "Dear me that's not for the likes of us you know!" This outfit was such a corrupt calamity as Virgin Nigeria, I give them a season before it goes wrong all over again.

Seljuk22
15th Jun 2011, 08:58
AB will decrease and cancel HAJ-LGW. Double daily flights will end on 1st July and the route will be suspended on 31st July.

Skipness One Echo
15th Jun 2011, 15:59
In other news, the Gatwick timetable is show the presitgious Harare service being operated as follows :

RZA800 / 801 0630 0830 Wed Fri Sun

Who they? Google was not my friend.

pabely
15th Jun 2011, 17:16
Royal Zambian Airways

Seljuk22
16th Jun 2011, 17:15
Virgin to launch Cancun (2 weekly, B744) on 12th June 2012.
Virgin Atlantic Announces Nonstop Service to Cancun Beginning in 2012 -- SOUTH NORWALK, Conn., June 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/virgin-atlantic-announces-nonstop-service-to-cancun-beginning-in-2012-123991024.html)

thebeehive
19th Jun 2011, 21:21
AB dropping HAJ-LGW?

Is this meaning LGW isnt good for AB or HAJ isnt good?! They only just moved to LGW (a few routes) and STN-HAJ had been operating for years?!

daz211
19th Jun 2011, 21:41
German wings still offer this route at STN, I wonder if Air Berlin passengers have jumped over to them ? or there might be some other reason but it does seem strange for Air Berlin to drop the route so soon after the move.

jpthomas72
20th Jun 2011, 10:24
...not only 4U going HAJ-STN twice-daily, but also LH (operated by BD) 3x daily HAJ-LHR. Not much room for AB to squeeze-in. Possibly also the 'wrong plane', i.e. a turbo-prop instead of the jets the others run (or the other way around: Jet too big for the market). AB is more expensive than 4U on average, and its cost base is much higher than 4U's and also BD, which LH cleverly use to avoid 'their' unions and the (currently) strong Euro. HAJ is quite a small market in reality, squeezed between HAM, BER and even FRA (fast trains). AB didn't get their direct LON-BER to work, you wonder what they can do. Their business attitude is very 'German' and somehow 'wrong' for the UK market. One of the 'more in trouble than others' airlines of Europe, let's see where OneWorld takes them. My impression w.r.t. LGW is: Don't count on them.

airhumberside
20th Jun 2011, 14:25
also BD, which LH cleverly use to avoid 'their' unions and the (currently) strong Euro
Though in the case of HAJ worth noting this has been a bmi route for at least a decade, long before LH got control of BD

bunatern
5th Jul 2011, 17:27
lufthansa to start twice daily FRA-LGW on 30/10/2011.

toledoashley
5th Jul 2011, 18:18
Is there any logic behind FRA-LGW? Could it be a tactic to stop easyJet?

adfly
5th Jul 2011, 18:25
Well it is currently unserved from LGW and EZY dont seem to like FRA much as they say that it is 'overcrowded' which is why they don't serve it. There will also probably be some connecting traffic although I would have thought with LHR up the road at least 3 daily flights would be needed to keep the route competitive and viable for fussy business travelers! What Aircraft are they planning on using, I presume it's either a 733/735 or A319/A320/A321.

bravoromeosierra
5th Jul 2011, 18:39
On the Boeing 737-500 by the looks of the schedules.

EI-BUD
5th Jul 2011, 22:53
LH to LGW is indeed a bit of a surprise but when you consider that Lufthansa Italia is to be wound up/closed etc at Milan, Easyjets presence at Milan Malpensa has to be part of the challenge for LH there. Nonetheless, the presence of LH on LGW Germany service may make FRA less attractive for EZY and encourage them to avoid the route, or maybe may spur EZY on to challenge LH ex LGW.

EI-BUD

SN146
6th Jul 2011, 13:31
now official:

Will be twice daily on Boeing 737-500, probably mostly aimed at attracting long haul connecting pax living in the south of England who do not like to go all the way to LHR just to catch a LH flight through FRA when heading to the Far East...

As such, I think it is more to be seen as competition for the gulf carriers who serve LGW, than it is to prevent EZY from ever serving FRA really, although it also does that at the same time.

Lufthansa -*London Gatwick new addition to Lufthansa programme (http://presse.lufthansa.com/en/news-releases/singleview/archive/2011/july/06/article/1966.html)

jpthomas72
6th Jul 2011, 13:42
LH's point is to compete with EZY even before they start operating from FRA. Purely political decision. EZY has assigned slots for Winter 2011 for two flights FRA-LGW and is expected to say something about this sometime soon, and LH want to show their power at FRA (they even own 10% of the airport company). Also the prices are so low, it seems they want to hit FR STN-HHN also. But the schedule is not ideal, e.g. outbound from FRA at 16:00 is too early for most people. LH used to go FRA-STN in the past to annoy FR, as some may remember. I don't believe this will stop EZY in any way, just that LH _hates_ to see them at FRA and would fly this plane empty if necessary. EZY's other planned route FRA-GVA would break a valuable LH monopoly. Oh, people on airliners.de are speculating about AB FRA-LGW in a OW context, but that doesn't seem obvious to me at all (due to the leisure-only BA destinations from LGW).

LGW_08R
6th Jul 2011, 14:42
Interesting news certainly.

Perhaps the AB speculation you speak of, would be a link for passengers going the other way on OW. Ie, not PAX wanting to fly to Germany and beyond from the UK, but instead, German pax who would want to fly to the destinations in the Caribbean etc etc, which are only served by BA from LGW.

Charley B
10th Jul 2011, 07:27
Hi
Does anyone have any info as to when the Hellenic Airways flights from Athens to LGW will start?they were due to start on 1/7 then were put back to 3/7-and on the lgw website the last 3 flight days have had canx by them(and todays)
It is due to be operated by A340 and i am looking forward to seeing this!

BAladdy
10th Jul 2011, 09:33
Hi
Does anyone have any info as to when the Hellenic Airways flights from Athens to LGW will start?they were due to start on 1/7 then were put back to 3/7-and on the lgw website the last 3 flight days have had canx by them(and todays)
It is due to be operated by A340 and i am looking forward to seeing this!
Thanks

I believe there was some sort of financial problem with regards to the lease. I think this has been resolved as I have just found this photo posted on line of a A343 in Hellenic livery

Skyliner - aviation news & more (http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=nav2&picid=7314)

Flights to LGW are no longer availabe online. Hopefully the will go back on sale once the A343 is delivered.

The carrier is currently using a A 458 seater747-200 reg SX-TID to operate the JFK service

Charley B
10th Jul 2011, 11:28
Wow-thanks a lot!
I did notice on their website last week that flights were available from today and that they have vanished suddenly
Hopefully not long now before the route starts!

BAladdy
12th Jul 2011, 02:29
After much speculation Air Asia X have today confirmed that they will be transferring there KUL service to LGW from 24th October 2011.

True Blue
16th Jul 2011, 19:51
Can anyone provide any info on the following on the Lgw arrivals info tomorrow morning?

06:15
MH8175
HANGZHOU

Thanks

TB

WATABENCH
16th Jul 2011, 19:56
Arsenal FC played Hangzhou yesterday, would guess something to do with that.

Charley B
17th Jul 2011, 08:21
It did arrive-747-400 at 07.32-a nice choice to come in here and not LHR!

StevieW
17th Jul 2011, 20:31
Interesting that the Malaysia 747 brought the Arsenal FC team home this morning, then went out this afternoon carrying rivals Chelsea on their own Asian tour.

With the multi-million pound stadium naming rights and sponsorship deal, its a surprise that Emirates don't fly the Arsenal team to/from Asia, as I believe Etihad have done with Man City.

Flightmech
18th Jul 2011, 18:05
Arsenal flew out of Stansted on a Malaysian 777 last Sunday. Quick trip for them.

jijpc
19th Jul 2011, 18:44
Does anyone know the registration of the MH 747?

Charley B
19th Jul 2011, 20:00
Think it was 9M-MPM

newscaster
25th Jul 2011, 16:48
Turkish Cargo have suspended LGW.

Skipness One Echo
1st Aug 2011, 15:30
Anyone know when Meridiana moved to the North Terminal? I make it 1st June...

Are there any more Terminal moves in the pipeline ?

True Blue
1st Aug 2011, 15:41
I believe they terminate services to Lgw at the end on the summer timetable.

TB

ImPlaneCrazy
7th Aug 2011, 07:02
Currently sitting in Cafe Rouge, and theres an interesting Sun Country 738 sitting right infront of me; from a bit of Wikipediaing I see that they are based out in Minneapolis, are they regularly operating such a small aircraft transatlantically or is this just a bit of a one off?

davidjohnson6
7th Aug 2011, 10:27
If you look at wikipedia, you'll also be able to read about their regular route to London with a stop off in Gander

Sun Country Airlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Country_Airlines#Destinations)

eireoflot82
26th Aug 2011, 19:13
New Sky One show starting Tue 30 Aug at 9:00PM
Inside Gatwick - Sky1 HD (http://sky1.sky.com/sky1hd-shows/inside-gatwick)

StevieW
27th Aug 2011, 23:12
easyJet flights to Aberdeen, Budapest, Glasgow, Inverness, Krakow, Lisbon, Porto, Prague and Zagreb move to North Terminal for Winter 11/12, with nothing going in the other direction.

Does this mean that Pier 1 is finally being torn down and rebuilt? All domestic easyJet flights going from the North this winter.

In other (massive) news, BA are finally re-numbering their remaining BA7*** and BA8*** short haul flights to the standard BA2***.

thebeehive
1st Sep 2011, 14:48
I dont understand AB. Their STN network has been reducing for years and more Dash8s being used over jets. The the move to LGW, NUE and HAJ, HAJ didnt last long at all so now just 2x daily NUE. What is/was the point? Are AB planning growth at LGW or??

canberra97
2nd Sep 2011, 00:54
AB has recently drawn up a plan that includes reducing there fleet and cutting back or dropping routes altogether.

This includes all of AB UK routes inc LGW, so I do not see any further growth at LGW for AB, not in the near future anyway unless they open a LGW-BER flight once the new airport at Berlin opens next year.

TurboTomato
6th Sep 2011, 15:21
Not really that interesting but I current work about 10km from the threshold of 26L in Lingfield so see plenty of aircraft on final approach into LGW. Will shortly be moving down the road to work in Shipley Bridge which is about 2km from the threshold and having had a quick visit to the office, boy do they come over low there. Should keep me entertained on boring days watching them come in!:)

brianardmore
6th Sep 2011, 18:07
Mrs.Ardmore and I are transiting Gatwick later this month. I have seen and read that there is a new security area on the first floor. Mrs A needs assistance to get to the flight. Recently there was a separate "Assistance and Families" channel on the checkin level - has this been closed and will we need to get to the first floor with her chair?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge

tonyb
7th Sep 2011, 11:49
Came in from Edinburgh on Monday at 2240 on Easyjet,parked on stand at North Terminal with airbridge,great will be off quickly,wrong!
Held on aircraft for 20mins waiting to be bussed to domestic arrivals,deplane via airbridge then down steps to buses,tour of the bowels of North then through door up steps down several corridors through some building works involving more stairs to a room with a single baggage claim.Was hand bags only so straight through.
Previous flight last month,also Easyjet, from VLC parked on a stand at South only to be bussed to North and another long walk.
Is all this normal?

FR-
7th Sep 2011, 12:15
At least you got a free tour of LGW, some people on here would pay good money for that :E

cornishsimon
7th Sep 2011, 14:56
afraid its normal at the moment

depends if you arrive on an international stand on a domestic or vice verca.

my guess is that you arrived on a domestic onto an international stand and you will be bussed, its the same arriving on BA im afraid

Haven't a clue
7th Sep 2011, 17:55
Your aircraft goes to the appropriate stand for its next rotation. If you arrive on a domestic and the next sector is international, then it's the bus for you. And that will be most times, unless you are lucky.

And if you are sat at the front and hope to get off quickly, you'll find that unless the stand is remote, you get off at the back....

Out Of Trim
9th Sep 2011, 14:14
Your aircraft goes to the appropriate stand for its next rotation. If you arrive on a domestic and the next sector is international, then it's the bus for you. And that will be most times, unless you are lucky.

And if you are sat at the front and hope to get off quickly, you'll find that unless the stand is remote, you get off at the back....

You would only disembark from the rear if the airbridge is unserviceable!

Out Of Trim
9th Sep 2011, 14:26
Brianardmore

Don't worry, the Special Assistance desks still exist. The new upper security area is additional to the lower one in South Terminal. If, and I would say in the unlikely event, you still get directed to the new one. There are plenty of lifts to enable you to get a chair around easily!

Haven't a clue
9th Sep 2011, 15:11
Out of trim

Erm no - if you've arrived on a domestic flight at an international gate you will be bussed to the appropriate arrival channel (usually a huge flight of steps IIRC) or if you are at an international arrival on a domestic gate ditto to the appropriate international arrival channel. And that means steps at the rear of the aircraft, not de-planing on the air bridge. Done that several times. Or was I mishandled?

Skipness One Echo
9th Sep 2011, 15:46
Arrived on domestic at LGW recently on BA and on both occasions was bussed from an international stand. First time off down the rear steps on stand 60 to the bus, next time all the way up the bridge on 63, then down the stairs to the apron to walk to the bus waiting at the rear of the aircraft.

chrisy08
9th Sep 2011, 17:24
What aircraft type will be used on the:

Gatwick to Atlanta flight with Delta Airlines on the 6th March 2012?

ImPlaneCrazy
9th Sep 2011, 23:10
Your flight is scheduled to be on a 767, not sure whether its a -300/300ER/400... not that you'll notice much of a difference. :ok:

Charley B
10th Sep 2011, 17:39
Turbo Tomato--just wait till VS 747 and the other heavies depart off 8R--you wont get any work done-they will shake the office!!
We are 3 miles out here -viewing is great-Shipley Bridge is even better -the plant nursery there is great to watch the heavies depart on a nice day!!
Happy Spotting:-)

TurboTomato
12th Sep 2011, 08:58
Cheers! It'll certainly make boring days in the office a bit more interesting!

Whereabouts are you?

neil_2008
12th Sep 2011, 15:24
Im arriving on an international flight in a few weeks on a Sunday evening (19:00), is there a flight connections area at the South Terminal? I have a short connection to my domestic flight, whats the best way to approach it?

Out Of Trim
12th Sep 2011, 17:35
Err, follow the signs to Flight Connections should do it!

ImPlaneCrazy
12th Sep 2011, 20:16
Approach it slowly; you wouldn't want to startle those rare Gatwick security staff now would you... :E Couldn't resist, sorry!

canberra97
22nd Sep 2011, 00:33
Does anyone have or know any information as to when Air Nigeria will eventually start their LGW-Lagos route?

Also any more information as to Hong Kong Airlines planned route from LGW to Kong Kong?

If these two airlines do actually commence operations from LGW it will have been an excellent year for Gatwick Airport along with the new long haul airlines and destinations added to the route map after Air Asia X to Kuala Lumper and Vietnam Airlines to Ho Chi Min and Hanoi along with British Airways to Mauritius.

On the downside though it seems as LGW attracts airlines they seem to lose them one two one as Montenegro Airlines, Air Berlin and Adria Airlines are set to leave in the foreseable future!

Although as to short haul LGW does regain Lufthansa flying to Frankfurt in October.

It would be great to see IAG either British Airways or Iberia or even Vueling start growing in the Spanish market by adding routes from LGW to Alicante, Bilbao, Palma, Seville, Valencia.

As to British Airways I would like to see them restart a LGW to Malta route as well, maybe a few winter routes to the Canary Islands.

cornishsimon
22nd Sep 2011, 03:33
I couldn't agree more about IAG @ LGW
I think that there is potential for CDG/ORY, MAD and maybe a few other Spanish and German routes

After all if IB are able to start routes to MAN and GLA then I think they are missing a trick at gatwick especially as feed onto the BA longhaul network ex gatters

cs

Aero Mad
22nd Sep 2011, 06:58
Not a chance for CDG, the 5x daily service was dropped in 2004 because it is as simple as this:

BA from Gatwick
(eg.) Tunbridge Wells - Gatwick: 30 mins approx by car
Airport check in: 1 hour 30mins
Flight time: 1 hour 10mins direct
CDG to central Paris: 40 mins approx
Total: 3 hours 45mins
Eurostar from Ashford
(eg.) Tunbridge Wells - Ashford: 30 mins approx by car
Check-in: 30 mins
Ashford - Paris: 2 hours
Total : 3 hours

Spanish routes have easyJet on them fairly conclusively, as well as Ryanair picking up any of the rest of the slack. I don't think there's any room for BA because the average reason for going to Spain (by some distance) is the beach holiday. The same is the case with the Canaries. A once daily Iberia/BA service from/to Madrid would be welcome, however.

Malta has already got easyJet and Air Malta as well as Thomson/Thomas Cook so I think BA could only make so much headway here. You've also got to bear in mind that the 737s are getting rather old and will need replacing soon, so until that process is underway it is unlikely that BA would want to expand short-haul at LGW without facilities to do so.

Charley B
22nd Sep 2011, 07:24
Tunis air start a weekly flight from Tunis to LGW on 3/11
Air Namibia are supposedly to start soon?
Air Atlanta are here for a month in Dec DHAKA-LGW-JFK for Bangladesh Biman airways using 744
I did read and cannot find link now, LUX to start in October?
Tor Air are apparently here to stay for the winter doing a route to Copenhagen as well
Think Hong Kong is to start March 2012 but not totally sure-they did have slots but are reapplying as wanted more days apparently than previously arranged.

cornishsimon
22nd Sep 2011, 09:33
Aero mad

I have no doubt what you say about LGW-Paris flights is correct but it does strike me as odd that BA ex LHR have multiple rotations, to both CDG and ORY some of which are operated by 767-300s.

There is also AF on the route, and I do appreciate that LHR has significantly more connecting lh passengers for BA than gatwick does. But could gatwick really not sustain a two or three times daily shuttle to Paris ?

If it's well timed it could well provide feed onto the BA longhaul network at gatwick and if operated into ORY could even supply feed for the openskies routes

Just my thoughts on it

Skipness One Echo
22nd Sep 2011, 09:54
If it's well timed it could well provide feed onto the BA longhaul network at gatwick and if operated into ORY could even supply feed for the openskies routes

The BA long haul operation feeds holiday makers to former British possesions in the Carribbean and Florida. The French tend to migrate to former French colonies. Also BA need to maintain some point to point on LHR-CDG as well as the long haul feed so having a LGW operation would dilute further that already contracted market.

if operated into ORY could even supply feed for the openskies routes
I think BA would prefer to feed BA at LHR than a subsidiary in France, aside from the fact you'd be way quicker from London direct.

ChalfontFlyer
22nd Sep 2011, 18:28
Whilst I understand earlier comments about Paris being quicker by Eurostar, it will always depend on where your journey start & finish points are in relation to the 2 airports.

Also, worth noting is that Paris is on the Gatwick owners potential route development list of destinations that they would like to serve in Europe with others including FRA.

canberra97
23rd Sep 2011, 16:48
As to FRA it has already been well discussed that Lufthansa will be commencing a twice daily flight from LGW to Frankfurt on October 28th.

The weekly Tunisair flight from LGW to Tunis is only operating from LGW as Tunisair could not obtain a suitable slot at LHR, I would not be surprised to see this transfer to LHR once the slot issue is overcome.

Luxair to LGW? Why would they operate that when they axed LHR and concentrated their London route at LCY.

The Tor Air flight is not to Copenhagen but to Cologne/Bonn and have you seen the schedules, totally pointless and why did they decide on Cologne in the first place!

Air Namabia said when they 'suspended' there Windhoek flights in 2009 that they would return at some point. With the increase in tourism to Namibia and the country being highlighted on numerous travel docs I would like to see them return but I am not holding my breath as it suits the airline well for passengers to be routed via FRA which is their only current destination in Europe.

The Air Atlanta flights operating on behalf of Biman with B747-400 on JFK-LGW-Dhakka are actually Hadj flights and will not be in the airlines booking system.

I am aware of Air Malta and Easyjet being on the LGW to Malta route but I think a return to the route with BA would be a good thing, the island has alot of potential and the return of BA would be welcomed by BA passengers and also the Island of Malta.

Where was the dates for the start of Hong Kong Airlines obtained from as some press releases state the airline will be flying from LHR and others stating LGW, hopefully it will be LGW.

TurboTomato
28th Sep 2011, 08:42
Does anyone know if A380s will be operating out of Gatwick in the near future?

clareview
28th Sep 2011, 11:43
Given that Qantas, Singapore, Air France, Lufthansa, Korean and Emirates are the current users of the A380 and only Emirates flies to LGW (but uses the A380 to LHR) I suggest regular A380 flights into LGW are highly unlikely for some considerable time

racedo
4th Oct 2011, 20:12
Looking at the Gatwick airport program I was wondering who the BA head reminded me of.....................littlie who was in bed but came down with tummy pains asked what was 101 Dalmations lady doing on TV.

ib26uk
4th Oct 2011, 22:30
Silla somebody - is BAs big cheese at LGW

I was watching it too - She seems very much like everything has to be black or white !!

Didnt realise BA were having a NEW check in zone at LGW - Must try it out sometime

jerboy
4th Oct 2011, 23:37
Apparently the new BA LGW checkin is pretty much entirely self service. It's mentioned in this month's High Life rag. Its moving from Zones E and F (i.e. right in the centre of the check in hall) to Zone A.

Apparently the kiosks now print out your bag tags for you and the number of actual check in desks is vastly reduced. If I recall correctly there are 6 'baggage podiums', a few Customer Services Desks and a new Premium checkin area.

So now everyone (excepting EC Gold/Silv, First and Club) checks themselves in, tags their own bag and by the sounds of it pops it on the conveyor (or something similar) themselves. Much like the Qantas domestic terminal in SYD I imagine.

I'm not 100% certain of these details and its only what I can remember from glancing at the short article in High Life.

If its true, shouldn't the new slogan be: To fly. To self-serve?

McGoonagall
5th Oct 2011, 05:59
Decent programme and the BA check-in area looks good and should be simple to use except for those who are hard of thinking. As for the MD she seems to have got it together apart from objecting to fois gras being used as a garnish on the new F/J menu because of her vegetarian lifestyle. It was removed from the new menu so diluting the product. To fly, but not to serve fois gras.

GrahamK
5th Oct 2011, 06:49
Korean Air to start LGW-ICN, 3 x weekly B772 from March 28th 2012

Aero Mad
5th Oct 2011, 07:12
That's good news.

Just noticed this: Airwaves driven gaga by pirate radio - Local - Crawley Observer (http://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/news/local/airwaves_driven_gaga_by_pirate_radio_1_3080994) ;)

Capetonian
5th Oct 2011, 07:15
apart from objecting to fois gras being used as a garnish on the new F/J menu because of her vegetarian lifestyle.

Not quite right. Foie Gras is the result of extreme cruelty and many people who eat meat, myself included, abhor foie gras. Many international airlines stopped serving after pressure was brought to bear. Nothing to do with 'vegetarian lifestyle'.

McGoonagall
5th Oct 2011, 12:49
I agree with you Capetonian but she did say on the programme that she was not happy with it. Then realising it probably could be construed as dictating to the chef she revised her comment to 'we will look at it'. Upshot was that when showing F service the onboard chef said it had been pulled off the menu. It is a distasteful cruel product.

tubby linton
5th Oct 2011, 17:24
Why has the water area by taxiway Juliet been extended into a small lake?Don't the people who run the airport realise that this is where the fog comes from?

vespasia
10th Oct 2011, 02:47
Why has the water area by taxiway Juliet been extended into a small lake?Don't the people who run the airport realise that this is where the fog comes from?

It's the River Mole, which is culverted under the runway, so depending on water levels it can be a small lake or just a bit damp! It doesn't help for fog but generally if the conditions are right for fog we'll get it anyway!

BTW Tunisair schedules cancelled for the winter at least as are all BMI ski flights. Air Asia X on a reduced schedule to build in maintenance window until more aircraft are delivered.

Seljuk22
10th Oct 2011, 10:39
Adria will give up LJU-LGW from 30 Oct.

tubby linton
10th Oct 2011, 14:32
"It's the River Mole, which is culverted under the runway, so depending on water levels it can be a small lake or just a bit damp! It doesn't help for fog but generally if the conditions are right for fog we'll get it anyway!"

Has that work been completed to stop the flooding of the staff car park on the other side of the runway? Whenever I have seen fog forming it has always been from the northern part of the airfield over the river.

vespasia
10th Oct 2011, 18:40
Don't know how the work's going re the staff car park. The fog can start anywhere - last weeks overnight fogs started in the grass south side (opposite FR exit) and in the field immediately west of the Charlwood Road. Equally I've seen it with IRVR 150m at the 26 Touchdown and gin clear at the 08 end, so the Mole isn't always the culprit though it's often blamed!:)

delta154
13th Oct 2011, 18:05
SAS to Bergen will end in January to make way for Manchester-Bergen. Flights have been taken off sale already.

wowzz
13th Oct 2011, 21:18
Not quite sure which is the correct thread for my question, but I was wondering how the new BA check-in process was progressing, where us pax have to tag our own luggage. Has anyone had first hand experience of the procedure, and if so, how satisfactory was it?

Seljuk22
16th Oct 2011, 09:09
EZY changes

GLA: from 3 to 4 times daily from 31st October

BCN: from 5 to 6 times daily from 6th January
easyJet increases flights to six-times-daily on Gatwick to Barcelona route (http://corporate.easyjet.com/media/latest-news/news-year-2011/07-10-2011-en.aspx?sc_lang=en)

GOT: daily flights to be cancelled from 9th January

MXP: gradually increase from 4 to 5 times daily from February

CPH: from 2 to 3 times daily from 26th March

NCE: from 3 to 4 times daily from 14th April

VCE: from 2 to 3 times daily from 27th April

Kefalonia will be a new destination with 3 weekly flights from 28th April
Error page (http://corporate.easyjet.com/media/latest-news/news-year-2011/03-10-2011-en.aspx?sc_lang=en)

nigel osborne
16th Oct 2011, 15:54
Saw an Air India diverted into LGW this morning due fog at LHR,anyone know how many more they took ?.

Know MAN took an AA 772 and BHX a BA 763.

Nigel

Charley B
16th Oct 2011, 15:59
AA 174( 767) ex Raleigh came in here this morning as well-that departed about lunch time back to LHR The Air India 777 has just left LGW on its way to LHR!!

Seljuk22
17th Oct 2011, 13:18
TK announcement
The Incorporation, subject to aircraft availability, has decided to open İstanbul-Gatwick-İstanbul route in the year 2011.
News - Turkish Airlines - TK - International Home Page (http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-INT/corporate/investor_relations/special/2011.aspx)

delta154
17th Oct 2011, 14:34
SAS to Bergen will end in January to make way for Manchester-Bergen. Flights have been taken off sale already.

Now confirmed that the flights will end November 1st, not January as I previously said:

Travel News | Travel News Online | Travel Daily UK (http://www.traveldaily.co.uk/AsiaPacificNews/Detail.aspx?Section=23718)

Airlift21
20th Oct 2011, 12:46
Does anyone know if the Gatwick traffic stats for September 2011 have been released yet? Just checked their website and found nothing at all. Are they publishing the results somewhere else or are they just late this month?

davidjohnson6
20th Oct 2011, 21:06
Airlift - not in the same format, but have you had a look at:
UK Airport Provisional Statistics: 2011 - 09 | Aviation Intelligence | Regulatory Policy (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=80&pagetype=88&sglid=11&fld=201109)

Depending on what you want, you might be able to find the information you seek

Airlift21
21st Oct 2011, 21:33
Good enough for me, thanks dj6.

True Blue
24th Oct 2011, 13:08
First flight into Lgw by Air Asia this afternoon. I remember reading in the Sunday Times months ago what they said then that D7 was moving to Lgw, that the airline had big plans for Lgw. Also, on the Inside Gatwick programme last week, which had a bit about D7 moving, they said that Lgw was asking D7 to consider a New York route. My question, will we see expansion of Air Asia at Lgw?

TB

Seljuk22
26th Oct 2011, 13:24
EI increases DUB to 6 daily during the week from 30th October.

BA will resume NCE (3 daily) and open ALG (daily flights transfered from LHR) from 25th March. MAN and FAO will lose one daily flight. FCO, BOD, Tirana and Pristina see also reductions, CAG cancelled.

bunatern
30th Oct 2011, 15:51
turkish airlines will launch daily flights from istanbul ataturk starting dec 20th.

adfly
30th Oct 2011, 16:45
Great News! I believe Easy are dropping their flights to SAW early next year so it is good to see a replacement carrier so soon and with the added benefits or TK's growing network from Ataturk for connecting traffic.

Any indications to what a/c they will use? I'm guessing it will be an A320/A321/738 although I may be wrong!

I also think a daily AYT flight would compliment this well and also be the return of a full service carrier on a loco/charter dominated route as I believe BA dropped the route a.couple of years ago.

davidjohnson6
30th Oct 2011, 16:54
I believe Easy are dropping their flights to SAW early next year

adfly - I thought Easyjet dropped their LGW - SAW routes yesterday, with the end of the summer 2011 season ?

adfly
30th Oct 2011, 17:44
They probably did, I must have read something unreliable then!

Jamie2k9
30th Oct 2011, 22:11
EI increases DUB to 6 daily during the week from 30th October.

It increases to 7 daily on Fridays only from 6 Jan next year.

bread&water
31st Oct 2011, 17:41
Can anyone confirm if Air Zimbabwe are flying Gatwick - Harare again ? Thanks in advance

jijpc
31st Oct 2011, 18:33
Passed through LGW this afternoon and there was certainly a check in queue for an Air Zimbabwe flight to Harare

Seljuk22
9th Nov 2011, 07:07
Hong Kong Airlines will start daily flights HKG-LGW from 7th March.

A330-200 configuration
Hong Kong Airlines: The Club Experience - Seating plan (http://www.hongkongairlinesclub.co.uk/seating_plan.html)

Seljuk22
11th Nov 2011, 13:27
Air China intends to launch flights to PEK next year.
Air China to Offer Split Operations to London :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/131919/air-china-to-offer-split-operations-to-london/)

Wycombe
11th Nov 2011, 14:46
Seems like LGW is becoming the outlet for providing more capacity to the Far East, where it can't be squeezed in at LHR, so now we have:

Air AsiaX - moved from STN
Vietnam Airlines - starting soon
Hong Kong Airlines - starting S12
Air China - starting S12

What next, the return to LGW of Phillipine A/L and Garuda (the latter are getting 773's soon I think)?

VOM1T
11th Nov 2011, 15:18
Late arrival of Boeing 777-300 planes for Garuda
Posted Wed, 16/03/2011 - 7:32am by indahnesia
JAKARTA - The new Boeing 777-300 planes that were ordered by Garuda Indonesia (GIAA), will not be delivered to Garuda as scheduled. The planes were due to arrive late 2012 or at latest early 2013, but Boeing now says that is will not be able to comply to this. There is a backlog at the Boeing plant in Seattle in the United States. Garuda expects that two out of the total order of 10 will be delivered in 2013.

canberra97
11th Nov 2011, 20:44
And not forgetting Korean Air to Seoul starting April 2012 and the 'proposed' Air Nigeria flights to Lagos.

It has been mentioned on other forums that Avianca have obtained slots at LGW for a Bogota route for next summer.

I wonder why Aeromexico didn't start a LGW to Mexico City route after the collapse of Mexicana, after all they did contest the route prior to Mexicana obtaining slots at LGW, so maybe Aeromexico could be a fiture airline at LGW.

I can see the likes of Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeromexico, Avianca, Garuda Indonesia, Philipine Airlines, Senegal Airlines at LGW in the near future with possibly Air Jamaica who did annnounce early last year that they intended a return to LHR but was never materialised so slots as well as aircraft could have been an issue as to why flights never commenced.

In the forseable future I could envisage the return of Yemenia (previously LGW before a move to LHR) to the UK once the ban has been lifted so a possible LGW route to Sanaa if they have lost their slots at LHR, and maybe Air Tanzania (previously used LGW) and have commented about a UK route with an Airbus 330, Mongolian Airlines who two years ago made a statement regarding a possible route to LGW from Ulan Battar, Nepal Airlines (previously used LGW) who has also expressed an interest in a return to the UK as they have an Airbus 330 on order plus Skymark Airlines of Japan who have Airbus 380s on order and plan on using them to Europe.

The future is bright the future is Gatwick:-)

Lets hope LGW can retain its glory days again with a host of new international airlines starting operations, they will be a very welcome sight indeed against the backdrop of orange!

OltonPete
15th Nov 2011, 18:05
Lufthansa Plans S12 London Gatwick Capacity Change | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2011/11/15/lh-lgw-s12/)

Changing capacity already?

It is only an entry in GDS but CR7 showing in the morning and 319 evening.

Pete

adfly
15th Nov 2011, 18:20
I belive LH are speeding up/starting the replacement/retirement of their 733/735's so that is probably the reason!:ok:

cornishsimon
15th Nov 2011, 18:39
On the subject of Germany, I think its about time that BA added some German routes, and they also need Spain and Paris, in my opinion anyway !

FRA, DUS, MAD, ORY ?

cs

Bartek
22nd Nov 2011, 12:09
Starting March 2012, Norwegian to launch Gothenburg - London Gatwick.

bunatern
30th Nov 2011, 16:44
Acordding to air china website flights will start from 1st may 2012 4xweekly
flight CA851 dep PEK 01:35 mon,wed,fri and sun
flight CA852 dep LGW 13:15 mon,wed,fri and sun.

True Blue
30th Nov 2011, 20:22
Hong Kong Airlines flights now on sale to LGW

TB

Seljuk22
7th Dec 2011, 13:42
Tomorrow Vietnam Airlines will launch its flights.

It looks like EK will upgrade the morning flight (EK011/012) from the current B772 to a B773 from the start of the winter schedule 2012/2013. The A380 comes closer and closer.

Seljuk22
12th Dec 2011, 08:15
JAT will launch 2 weekly flights to BEG starting next summer.
http://tesdfdfd.********.com/2011/12/jat-airways-belgrade-london-gatwick.html

davidjohnson6
19th Dec 2011, 20:31
Rumour in the Malay Business Times that Air Asia X will drop London Gatwick (and Paris Orly) in 2012, possibly as early as February. Emission Trading Scheme is being blamed - alghough underlying profitability is also thought to be weak

jdcg
20th Dec 2011, 13:06
I suspect it has more to do with MH's increase in capacity to UK next year with their A380, MH's entry into Oneworld (presumably with BA codeshares) and Air Asia's 20% investment in MH. Seems like it's more part of a grand Malaysian strategic move to channel long haul through MH and short haul through Air Asia.

daz211
20th Dec 2011, 14:05
They should never have left STN they were doing just fine North of London.
Flying from STN saved a hell of a lot of people a hell of a lot of time and stress
not forgeting a good 20% of there passengers visited Cambridge as well as London.
and there was no MH to compeat with.

CabinCrewe
20th Dec 2011, 20:40
Nope, I dont follow that at all. What has Cambridge got to do with it, 20% of AirAsiaX inbound tourist pax visited Scotland yet they dont fly from Glasgow.
I dont believe the switch from STN to LGW is the potential reason for its apparent downfall.

bunatern
21st Dec 2011, 19:51
air one to start twice daily MXP-LGW starting march 25th.

pabely
21st Dec 2011, 20:14
daz211 - you are well off the mark, read what AirAsiaX have actually said, and what is just rumour....

adfly
21st Dec 2011, 20:15
Its good to see airlines beginning to compete with 'fortress orange' at LGW for passengers and prices sake!! Its been more noticible recently with:

Monarch starting Barcelona, Venice, Dubrovnik, Heraklion, Milan

BA starting Nice

Lufthansa starting Frankfurt to scare Ezy off/make the most of their hub

Air One starting Milan

I realise the mentioned airlines are all aiming for different areas of the markets but it is good to have a choice on plenty of routes, unlike STN with its equally large but less competed with 'fortress harp'!!

CabinCrewe
21st Dec 2011, 20:36
....and now TK A321 to IST

True Blue
21st Dec 2011, 20:47
Looking at the Air One times, is there another route to come? Times at the minute seem to indicate aircraft sitting at Lgw for several hours. Another route, or have I got it wrong?

Aero Mad
28th Dec 2011, 21:38
Whilst flying out to GCI this evening, I noticed a BA 319/320 (couldn't quite see which); whilst I'm aware that three of these come over from Heathrow for the summer, it was a surprise to see one today. What was it doing?

Skipness One Echo
28th Dec 2011, 22:21
Two options : BA A318 over from LCY for maintenance at LGW or covering for one of the many tech B737-400s...

Aero Mad
28th Dec 2011, 22:24
Oh right, probably the latter as it certainly wasn't 318 sized. However, doesn't this cause knock-ons at LHR?

OltonPete
28th Dec 2011, 22:41
Aero Mad

At least one A319 has been at Gatwick since 22/12 per flight.data24.com.

Operated LGW-GVA-LGW-VCE-LGW today

Yesterday it was LGW to AMS, VRN and a domestic.

cornishsimon
29th Dec 2011, 21:46
Yep one of the A319s which had been at gatwick during the summer positioned back a while ago after undergoing maintenance at PIK

BAladdy
30th Dec 2011, 16:35
The aircraft in question is G-EUPS. It began operating LGW flights on 22nd December. The A319 is at LGW whilst G-DOCS under goes scheduled maintainance at GLA.

The A319 is scheduled to operate from LGW until at least late January

compton3bravo
31st Dec 2011, 08:26
Departed through the South Terminal in the middle of November (five week cruise so that is the delay) and was very disappointed. Check-in for Monarch charter very quick then downhill from there. Security Monday morning 6 am - very big queue took at least 15 minutes to get through - not all gates open - surly staff said good morning to one lady - no answer - I knew she was British because she told the guy behind me quote ´´take that belt off´´ no please or nothing! Departure lounge one big shopping and food hall - no windows - could have been at Lakeside or Trafford Centre! Then a 20 minute hike to departure gate.
Looks to me as though the South Terminal has gone backwards and with all that money spent on it no improvement at all in my opinion. These comments I am sending to Gatwick managment and await they response with interest.
When my partner and I flew from Bombay, Delhi and Bangkok it put most of our airports to shame I must say.

vctenderness
31st Dec 2011, 08:52
There is a major problem at Gatwick and, I am sure other UK airports, with the staff employed at security.

There is a lot of rudeness towards customers and also this very British thing about control. There was a quote I once heard which rings true 'if Hitler had succeeded in invading Britain he would have had no trouble recruiting for the GESTAPO!

I have encountered some friendly folk working at Gatwick security but they are not the majority.

I'm not an anti shopper at airports so I don't have a problem with shops and outlets.

daz211
31st Dec 2011, 09:25
This is not an anti LGW and pro STN post, So please dont bite me !

I find LGW security staff to be very rude I have flown out of the south terminal 7 times in 2011 and not once were the security staff friendly, No reply to good morning, staff very rude to people who dont travel much and dont play by the rules of security.

On the other hand, I have flown out of STN over 10 times in 2011 and not once had any problem with the security staff they reply to good morning they are friendly and the security area is always maned to cope with the foot fall even in peak times.

dantheflyboy
1st Jan 2012, 11:14
Nov 2011 We travelled from Gatwick south to Belfast and at first we were impressed with the upgrade security had received with electronic entry etc....
However while passing through these gates my arm rubbed up against the metal and I obtained a cut which naturally bled. when I got to the Xray machine I spoke to a security assistant would showed no interest at all and directed myself to a control desk. I stood a few minutes at this desk being ignored and then a female controller barked YES! I explained what had happened to me and her first words were "was sir running" No I said. "has sir been drinking" I couldn't believe my ears. I demanded to speak to someone else, which was greeted with a roll of the eyes. A manager came forward and asked me to show him the offending gates, of course we could not find any obvious sharp edges and I was treated as if I had wasted their time. I then had to walk back through the Xray and you guessed it was practically strip searched while the manager returned to his control desk. Not once was I offered a plaster or the event recorded. So all in all those millions have paid for some shiny new equipment but has done nothing for customer service.

SouBE
2nd Jan 2012, 18:33
You should try being staff at LGW and having to go through staff security search everyday...the 'attitude' is relentless and possibly only 1 in 10 actually manage to exchange any pleasantries! In contrast, go to nearly any other Euro airport and its a completely different experience. Come on LGW.....

mart901
2nd Jan 2012, 19:03
Its not just LGW that have rude security personnel but I agree their not the friendliest, and dantheflightboy I bet you had a totally different experience in BFS or BHD, it amazes me how friendly they are and given all the securtity over the years in NI, I flew through BFS several times just after the liquid ban came into force and the security staff we're so helpfull and jovial with everyone it really made it seem far less of a hassle.

Skipness One Echo
2nd Jan 2012, 19:04
If you want to see out the window at the South Terminal there are a couple of options. Frankie & Bennies upstairs has a good-ish view over the apron and there is another similar eating place with a view over Pier 1. It's only a quick five minutes down to the gates at Stand 17-24 on Pier 2 which have really good apron views and a coffee shop as well shold you wish to get away from the shops.

Just keep an eye on the screens and know when you need to be at your gate :)

Seljuk22
3rd Jan 2012, 13:48
Adria resumes LJU from 25th March with 5 weekly flights.

bunatern
4th Jan 2012, 20:10
montenegro airlines will also restart summer 2012 tivat mon and wed podgorica on fri.

lozza86
5th Jan 2012, 12:10
According to Gatwick Airport website's scheduled flight timetable section, direct flights are to commence from Moscow Sheremetyevo-Gatwick with Aeroflot from August 25th 2012. Flights operate twice daily Monday-Thursday using A330 on both flights. Please refer to website to check if im right about this.

sewushr
6th Jan 2012, 14:31
I don't think that is the plan!

I suspect the website has generated that data from a couple of slot applications by Aeroflot. But my interpretation is that the flights are Olympics related ad-hoc flights, and only operate on 25th and 26th July (presumably inbound pax) and 13th & 14th August (outbound following the end of the Olympics).

They are, in any case, a bit premature with the applications if the flights are Olympics related (and the dates certainly suggest so) as no Olympic related slots will be released at Gatwick until 2 or 3 weeks before the flight takes place.

chrisy08
6th Jan 2012, 19:02
What aircraft is used for the DL11 Gatwick to Atlanta March 2012?? Boeing 767-300 or 400?

bjones4
6th Jan 2012, 19:46
Travelling through Gatwick North over the last few months, the structure outside the new extension seems to be progressing rapidly (on what was once the car park across from the Sofitel), on Monday they appeared to be fitting it out and installing the first of the cladding, what is this going to be?

bunatern
7th Jan 2012, 07:59
delta is using 767-300 5 times weekly up until mar 25th from then the flight goes daily using A330-200.

goldeneye
7th Jan 2012, 18:36
Korean Air is to start three times a week service into LGW from ICN.
They will be using a Boeing 777-300ER on the route which starts 28th April.
This is in addition to Korean's current LHR routes.

Source (http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/137151/korean-air-increases-capacity-to-london/)