Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Stansted-4

Old 15th Aug 2023, 22:20
  #1101 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: london
Posts: 195
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STN406
Donít really get trapped. They can get escorted back to the departure lounge easy enough.
Also if passengers canít read the signage now to their gates (Which is clear) then whatís gonna stop them doing it in the future.
The signage is a mess.
_aax1 is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2023, 22:30
  #1102 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,675
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
It puzzles me why there cannot be a couple of screens by the entrance to the transit next to itsu / Wetherspoons listing just the flights departing from gates serviced by the transit, along with a sign in English and a few other languages saying "Only flights from transit gates are listed here. If your flight is not shown, please see the main screens behind you". It seems very possible to have a screen listing just flights from gates 81-89 just before entering that pier...
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2023, 22:46
  #1103 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Posts: 525
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My experience is that it is not just the signage that is a mess, but because the gate allocation is relatively short to the departure time of the incoming aircraft, it is stressful to make sure you get there ... especially in the case of Ryanair flights from their terminal because they close the gate at departure time -30 mins, and the gate only shows up at departure time -40 mins. Of course, you can try to beat the system by going to the Ryanair wing 'early' and hoping that your flight will depart from there, with a relatively quiet cafť and plenty of seating ... but if you get it wrong, it's like the Grand National to get back to the departure lounge and start again on a transit ....
Alsacienne is offline  
Old 16th Aug 2023, 10:01
  #1104 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 364
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
It puzzles me why there cannot be a couple of screens by the entrance to the transit next to itsu / Wetherspoons listing just the flights departing from gates serviced by the transit, along with a sign in English and a few other languages saying "Only flights from transit gates are listed here. If your flight is not shown, please see the main screens behind you". It seems very possible to have a screen listing just flights from gates 81-89 just before entering that pier...
I completely second this! For example, there are screens in the walkway en route to gates 81-88 displaying flights for those gates only, yet there have never been any for gates 1-39, even when BAA owned the airport. As far as the transit signage is concerned, I do think this is clear, as it does advise passengers that it stops at gates 1-19 and 20-39 only, but having a screen near the entrance displaying gate information for flights departing from those gates would help and perhaps minimise the risk of passengers accidentally boarding the transit.
JW95 is online now  
Old 16th Aug 2023, 10:08
  #1105 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 364
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alsacienne
My experience is that it is not just the signage that is a mess, but because the gate allocation is relatively short to the departure time of the incoming aircraft, it is stressful to make sure you get there ... especially in the case of Ryanair flights from their terminal because they close the gate at departure time -30 mins, and the gate only shows up at departure time -40 mins. Of course, you can try to beat the system by going to the Ryanair wing 'early' and hoping that your flight will depart from there, with a relatively quiet cafť and plenty of seating ... but if you get it wrong, it's like the Grand National to get back to the departure lounge and start again on a transit ....
I thought MAG had reversed this and now display gate information 1 hour prior to departure? I get where you're coming from though, considering the majority of FR flights leave from SAT3, and this will probably only get worse once the transit is taken out of service and the new skylink walkways built. Maybe MAG could have screens indicating which SAT a flight would be leaving from and could save the stress of passengers accidentally going to the wrong satellite. Then again, they'd probably just prefer to have passengers in the departure lounge for as long as possible to spend ££s.
JW95 is online now  
Old 16th Aug 2023, 11:42
  #1106 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Posts: 525
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
......... and it would be good to have enough 'floating' MAG staff in each satellite to help those who took the transit wrongly or got off at the incorrect stop to get to where they should be ... and as quickly and efficiently as possible ....
Alsacienne is offline  
Old 16th Aug 2023, 12:31
  #1107 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Stansted Airport
Posts: 368
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They donít have gate information on the TTS platform as it would attract all passengers to look here and would inevitable get more passengers riding the TTS that donít need to.

If you use your brain then the signage is good especially above TTS itís clear the direction to each gate area. I flew through the south terminal at Gatwick in January and signage there is not good at all.

Yes the airport does display the gates 1 hour before departing flights. Some flights are displayed before this. Gate 90-93 and Gates 51-59 for example are displayed prior to an hour before departure.

I agree stansted should have some signage in other languages. But not many UK airport do. I know a project to upgrade the PA systems at Stansted is in the works which will allow for any announcements to be translated in any language.
STN406 is offline  
Old 16th Aug 2023, 12:45
  #1108 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,675
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
New route - Ryanair to Poprad-Tatry for winter 2023-24
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2023, 02:10
  #1109 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: london
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TK

Turkish Airlines moving to Skytanking from the 30th of September.

Unsure if this is for Cargo as well, I donít think Skytanking can handle widebodies.
Droidd is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2023, 09:21
  #1110 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 364
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Droidd
Turkish Airlines moving to Skytanking from the 30th of September.

Unsure if this is for Cargo as well, I donít think Skytanking can handle widebodies.
I didnít know that Turkish Airlines had resumed regular passenger flights to STN?
JW95 is online now  
Old 20th Aug 2023, 10:02
  #1111 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Herts
Posts: 79
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TK

Yep they do through Anadolu jet,big coup big loss for respective handedness.

Regards.
Keanaga is online now  
Old 20th Aug 2023, 10:03
  #1112 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Herts
Posts: 79
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handerlers even
Keanaga is online now  
Old 20th Aug 2023, 10:20
  #1113 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Stansted Airport
Posts: 368
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JW95
I didnít know that Turkish Airlines had resumed regular passenger flights to STN?
Obviously havenít seen AnadoluJet, Turkish Airlines subsidiary flying to Stansted multiple times a day for years or the multiple weekly Turkish Airlines cargo flight either.
STN406 is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2023, 11:58
  #1114 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Posts: 525
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Many thanks for the update about showing the gate number one hour before departure! I will be far less stressed than before next time I fly out of STN. However, the gate change situation in the FR wing is still reminiscent of a herd of wildebeest charging across the plains of the Serengeti !!!
Alsacienne is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2023, 13:13
  #1115 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Stansted Airport
Posts: 368
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alsacienne
Many thanks for the update about showing the gate number one hour before departure! I will be far less stressed than before next time I fly out of STN. However, the gate change situation in the FR wing is still reminiscent of a herd of wildebeest charging across the plains of the Serengeti !!!
Believe thatís the same at any airport when a gates gets changed last minute and not just a Stansted related issue though.
STN406 is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2023, 22:52
  #1116 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 364
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STN406
Obviously havenít seen AnadoluJet, Turkish Airlines subsidiary flying to Stansted multiple times a day for years or the multiple weekly Turkish Airlines cargo flight either.
just to clarify- Iíve been aware that AnadoluJet have been flying to STN multiple times daily for some time now, in addition to TK Cargo. I wasnít aware that TK Mainline had been flying to STN in place of some of the AnadoluJet services 🙂
JW95 is online now  
Old 21st Aug 2023, 05:28
  #1117 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Herts
Posts: 79
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TK

Hi I think it's the whole brand changing handling company not the colour scheme of the plane.

Regards
Keanaga is online now  
Old 21st Aug 2023, 06:11
  #1118 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Stansted Airport
Posts: 368
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JW95
just to clarify- Iíve been aware that AnadoluJet have been flying to STN multiple times daily for some time now, in addition to TK Cargo. I wasnít aware that TK Mainline had been flying to STN in place of some of the AnadoluJet services 🙂
No one mentioned mainline. They mentioned Turkish Airlines which is the company that controls AnadoluJet and Turkish Cargo. All arrangements for these two airlines is done by Turkish Airlines not them as individuals.

As mentioned Turkish Airlines is looking to make AnadoluJet independent shortly which would cause them to take control of the ground handling contracts.
STN406 is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2023, 06:26
  #1119 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Stansted Airport
Posts: 368
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet2 Limited Seasonal Route Additions

Jet2 will start two new routes to stansted on a limited seasonal basis for Christmas markets in Prague and Vienna. Beginning 30th NOV and 23rd NOV respectively both until the 17th DEC.
Flights are on sale now. Nice little addition for Jet2 hopefully they can add these permanently and compete with Ryanair alike the Athens and Rome flights recently added.

Prague:
Thursday Flight:
LS1581 STN 0915-1205 PRG
LS1582 PRG 1255-1350 STN
Sunday Flight:
LS1581 STN 1510-1800 PRG
LS1582 PRG 1845-1940 STN

Vienna:
Thursday Flight:
LS1583 STN 0930-1245 VIE
LS1584 VIE 1335-1500 STN
Sunday Flight:
LS1583 STN 1400-1715 VIE
LS1584 VIE 1805-1930 STN
STN406 is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2023, 20:07
  #1120 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 11,833
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
We flew into Stansted at 7pm yesterday, and once through passport control thought the check in area was a bit busy and even a group of 6 Police monitoring the area I thought, hmm has there been a incident. Then noticed what appeared to be more 'helpers' for passenger queries. Went to our pick up area and our driver told us it was much busier than normal.
Further research told the story. A Fire Alarm at the Station had knocked out the signalling system at 3pm ish and there were no trains till at least 11pm. They were doing Bus replacement to Bishops Stortford and National Express etc to London. So no doubt chaos was reigning supreme.
I expect people had struggled to get to the airport and had missed their flights and were looking to re book, so explaining the check in area...
Oh the joys of flying....
Kiltrash is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.