Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Heathrow-3

Old 19th Dec 2022, 12:11
  #441 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BMA
Posts: 1,024
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trinity 09L
JHK was allowed to publish a glowing Heathrow editorial in the Sunday Telegraph business section yesterday.
At 20.00 hrs yesterday normal chaos resumed.
BA 569 arrives, and waits for 30 mins to use a gate, (pilots comment - tow unit broken down).
Then entering the chaos of T5 hundreds of passengers are awaiting their baggage. After an hours wait my daughter leaves with the 4 and 6 year old.
My son waits another hour before collecting all the baggage.
No media on the true events of using T5.
Technically all the problems you mention there are BAs problems and not LHRs. The baggage problems are because BA doesnt have enough handlers and the tow unit is BAs agent.
BA318 is online now  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 14:29
  #442 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Berkshire
Posts: 540
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am aware, but the overall comments that everything is fine and dandy at LHR is wrong. Could have been the belts underneath in T5? Sub contracting everything to others needs good overall management.
Trinity 09L is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2022, 10:17
  #443 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,675
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
"On a 737 will be interesting with that runway, there’s a reason why there are no 737 operators in FLR"

Indeed!! You'd think someone would ask "why has no-one tried this before?"
It seems Aeroitalia have realised a 738 won't work at FLR and are chartering in a 737-700 from Hellojets for their route to LHR
https://boardingpass.ro/hellojets-ro...ru-aeroitalia/

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 28th Dec 2022 at 22:00.
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2022, 21:54
  #444 (permalink)  
Paxing All Over The World
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hertfordshire, UK.
Age: 67
Posts: 10,093
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Sub-Contracting / Outsourcing is promoted as being easier on the managers in the host company. In reality, it is the opposite. You have to really understand the work, understand how it is done and how to have work arounds for when it goes wrong.

This is one of the key reasons that so many outsourcing companies run rings around the host.
PAXboy is online now  
Old 29th Dec 2022, 11:56
  #445 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 7,610
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Well if just about everything at Heathrow is outsourced (as it seems to be, from retailers to terminal construction contractors) there's nothing for JHK to even speak about, as they don't actually "do" anything. On the other hand, if they do want to describe it as an overall success, they have to include the aspects of what these outsourcers do on their property. You can't have it both ways.

Same applies to airlines that have commuter carriers wholly branded in all respects as the major carrier - until they have an accident, when the main carrier press releases fully take a "nuffin' to do wiv' us" approach.
WHBM is online now  
Old 30th Dec 2022, 13:18
  #446 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,675
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Aeroitalia announced on 22-Nov-2022 a route between Heathrow and Florence in Italy from 26-Dec-2022 - and the route did indeed start as advertised
Yesterday, British Airways announced a route between Heathrow and Florence from 15-Apr-2023 - this is in addition to BACF's London City - Florence, and Vueling's Gatwick - Florence routes
Today, Aeroitalia (possibly just temporarily while they amend their schedule) have removed from sale all flights between Heathrow and Florence after 04-Jan-2023

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 30th Dec 2022 at 15:36.
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 30th Dec 2022, 15:54
  #447 (permalink)  
Paxing All Over The World
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hertfordshire, UK.
Age: 67
Posts: 10,093
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
If I was cynical, I'd say that some large corporate was trying to flatten a smaller company...
PAXboy is online now  
Old 30th Dec 2022, 21:01
  #448 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 42
Posts: 1,507
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA title's removed from the old BMI hangar. Heard this was going to United? Anyone confirm?
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 30th Dec 2022, 21:32
  #449 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: On the road
Posts: 912
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAXboy
If I was cynical, I'd say that some large corporate was trying to flatten a smaller company...
Did someone at Aeroitalia not do their homework? FLR has a short runway with some quite challenging weather condiitons the last time I looked. Has anything changed? Otherwise those 737-800s will have some issues I'd have thought...
TartinTon is offline  
Old 30th Dec 2022, 21:35
  #450 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Southampton
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
Aeroitalia announced on 22-Nov-2022 a route between Heathrow and Florence in Italy from 26-Dec-2022 - and the route did indeed start as advertised
Yesterday, British Airways announced a route between Heathrow and Florence from 15-Apr-2023 - this is in addition to BACF's London City - Florence, and Vueling's Gatwick - Florence routes
Today, Aeroitalia (possibly just temporarily while they amend their schedule) have removed from sale all flights between Heathrow and Florence after 04-Jan-2023
According to www.aeroroutes.com

Aeroitalia will resume Florence to London Heathrow on 10 February 2023 with two weekly flights instead of the originally planned five weekly flights. From 25 March 2023 the schedule will increase to the originally planned five weekly flights.

Aeroitalia have recently signed a contract to lease a Boeing 737-700 from Romanian start up Hellojet for their Florence operations.

Sotonsean is offline  
Old 30th Dec 2022, 21:56
  #451 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,675
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Sotonsean
According to www.aeroroutes.com
Aeroitalia will resume Florence to London Heathrow on 10 February 2023 with two weekly flights instead of the originally planned five weekly flights. From 25 March 2023 the schedule will increase to the originally planned five weekly flights.
LHR - Milan Bergamo resumes 2x weekly from 10-Feb-2023, and 7x weekly (reported as 5x weekly by AeroRoutes) from 26-Mar-2023. LHR - Florence is not currently on sale with Aeroitalia after 04-Jan-2023
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221230-xz1q23
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 30th Dec 2022, 23:05
  #452 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Outer London
Age: 43
Posts: 595
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do the AeroItalia slots come from? Is there any link between the ending of Florence and the re-start of Chinese foreign travel two days later? Chinese carriers wanting their slots back?
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 31st Dec 2022, 07:25
  #453 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,739
Received 170 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by AirportPlanner1
Where do the AeroItalia slots come from?
Leased from Etihad (former Alitalia slots).
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 1st Jan 2023, 04:43
  #454 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Southampton
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
LHR - Milan Bergamo resumes 2x weekly from 10-Feb-2023, and 7x weekly (reported as 5x weekly by AeroRoutes) from 26-Mar-2023. LHR - Florence is not currently on sale with Aeroitalia after 04-Jan-2023
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221230-xz1q23
​​​​​Thanks for that update. I had read the previous post on aeroroutes whereas the link you provided is an updated version.

Hopefully the management at Aeroitalia know what they are doing otherwise I can't see this airline operating for long. I have no doubt that it will eventually be included in the long list of defunct Italian airlines.
Sotonsean is offline  
Old 1st Jan 2023, 09:31
  #455 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,149
Received 317 Likes on 183 Posts
"Hopefully the management at Aeroitalia know what they are doing "

Why would they change the habits of a lifetime???
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 2nd Jan 2023, 03:25
  #456 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Southampton
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
"Hopefully the management at Aeroitalia know what they are doing "

Why would they change the habits of a lifetime???
"Habits of a lifetime???"

Aeroitalia was founded in 2021 with flight operations commencing on the 09 July 2022, that's nearly six months ago not a lifetime.


Sotonsean is offline  
Old 2nd Jan 2023, 09:10
  #457 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,149
Received 317 Likes on 183 Posts
I was thinking of the long and glorious history of Italian airlines in general...................... nice people but not the world's most effective managements
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 01:04
  #458 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Southampton
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
I was thinking of the long and glorious history of Italian airlines in general...................... nice people but not the world's most effective managements
I got what you meant and I totally agree with you but when you used the word "THEY" it made it seem as you were just referring to Aeroitalia rather than the Italian mentality of running an airline.
Sotonsean is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 11:16
  #459 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: London
Posts: 569
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just returned from abroad having used the services of T2 LHR. Arrived for outbound flight in the early hours of 15 December to find utter chaos in the terminal. Pax almost queueing out the doors. Weird snake like queues in multiple directions. Numerous pax becoming irate amid concerns they might miss flights. There was some form of system where staff were announcing imminent departures and relevant pax were pulled from queues. When my turn came was sent to front of queue to use self service baggage tagging. Bag eventually checked in, picked up boarding pass and whisked through security via fast track lanes. Arrived at gate as flight was boarding. Fast forward 12 hours and discover my checked in luggage had not made it my final destination! Luggage finally arrived a full week later as for some unknown reason it was not loaded onto my flight and only actually left LHR 3-4 days later. Utter shambles!
Crosswind Limits is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 12:21
  #460 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: He was here a moment ago
Posts: 303
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crosswind Limits
Just returned from abroad having used the services of T2 LHR. Arrived for outbound flight in the early hours of 15 December to find utter chaos in the terminal. Pax almost queueing out the doors. Weird snake like queues in multiple directions. Numerous pax becoming irate amid concerns they might miss flights. There was some form of system where staff were announcing imminent departures and relevant pax were pulled from queues. When my turn came was sent to front of queue to use self service baggage tagging. Bag eventually checked in, picked up boarding pass and whisked through security via fast track lanes. Arrived at gate as flight was boarding. Fast forward 12 hours and discover my checked in luggage had not made it my final destination! Luggage finally arrived a full week later as for some unknown reason it was not loaded onto my flight and only actually left LHR 3-4 days later. Utter shambles!
We landed at LHR-T2 on the evening of 20 December. There were (very rough estimate) about 2,000 suitcases tagged for departures from Heathrow on 19 December right there - either left on trolleys or on the floor of the baggage relcaim hall around the belts. Most that I saw were tagged for Lufthansa and other Star Alliance flights, some going as far as Singapore, Tokyo, Perth and Auckland. Many of their owners would have still been in the air when I found them. I did a quick pass with my iPhone and the Find my iPhone app to try and ping as many Airtags as possible - hopefully that would have given some passengers more useful information about where their bags were.

We were lucky on our return flight from T2 a week later, but it seems that at a number of critical moments over the holidays there simply haven't been enough baggage handling staff to get bags onto flights.

ara01jbb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.