Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Manchester-3

Old 8th Mar 2022, 10:30
  #1261 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: manchester
Posts: 61
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why canít BA use G18 where BMI and Virgin used to operate to LHR from! At least thereís a seating area there prior to boarding! The BA gate your just queing down a corridor and itís really not the best
Mark J Bowcock is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 10:32
  #1262 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Where ever I am
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But not back to the heady days when the "walk-on" service operated with a guaranteed backup aircraft!!
Sioltach Dubh Glas is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 10:42
  #1263 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 214
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OzzyOzBorn
Blue Islands must refer to their codeshares, as I don't think they have any flights of their own at MAN now. EXT terminated, SOU never actually launched. Aurigny's move probably helps to utilise stands 16 / 17 / 18 with the ATR72-600's, though the E195 should be in the mix quite a bit this Summer also. Eastern and Loganair also good for 16 / 17 / 18 use. Presumably, we will see what is happening with FlyBe 2.0 once they firm up plans. Emerald to co-locate with Aer Lingus short-haul?
Yes exactly. I don't think these stands are currently used enough. Stand 1 is also accessible from within T3 so this could be used by an ATR or Embraer too.

Iberia Express and Vueling previously used T3 too...but with the increase in Ryanair based aircraft I suppose it makes sense to keep them in T1.
MANFAN is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 10:45
  #1264 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 214
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark J Bowcock
Why canít BA use G18 where BMI and Virgin used to operate to LHR from! At least thereís a seating area there prior to boarding! The BA gate your just queing down a corridor and itís really not the best
If I remember rightly a few years ago the airbridge on stand 18 was mothballed.
I assumed this was due to smaller regional aircraft using this stand, ATR's, Embraer's.
Stand 1 could be used by BA as this gate is accessible from both T1 & T3 with different seating areas in each terminal...but I think this stand is A320/B737 maximum size, so if the BA A321 is in, then it would be allocated one of the usual BA stands 42/43.
MANFAN is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 10:57
  #1265 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 214
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark J Bowcock
Hi do we know if Ryanair is basing more aircraft into Manchester now? I would have thought they would have used T3 as Ryanair only. I know BA use it but thereís not many shuttles anymore!
I want to say 19...but I'm not 100% sure...I'm sure someone here can confirm or correct me?

I don't think it'll make much difference allocating Loganair, Eastern and Aurigny to T3, especially as they don't have any based aircraft at MAN or overnight aircraft (as far as I am aware).
I count 21 stands in total at T3 (including Stand 1 which can be accessed from both T1 & T3). Ryanair are basing 19 aircraft (I think?) and BA overnight 2 aircraft (again, I think?).
This would add up to 21, however, stands 16/17/18 are for a maximum size of an ATR/Embraer (max 195). So therefore, I would expect ops to park some Ryanair aircraft remotely until their required to be towed to a free T3 stand, as not all flights will depart within the first wave of departures (around 5.30am-8am).
MANFAN is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 15:23
  #1266 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,342
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
As the aviation sector was savaged by the pandemic, it’s estimated there were more than 2,000 redundancies made from Manchester Airport. They included around 700 people employed directly by the hub, including in management positions, and more than 1,500 by outside employers like baggage handling agents and airlines.
One Manchester Airports Group (MAG) staff member who asked not to be named told the Manchester Evening News : “It’s been so bad that they have been asking firefighters, engineers and parking staff to offload the bags onto the conveyors in the Arrivals hall. I think the summer is going to be horrendous, at this rate we just won’t have the staff, and morale is already low. I just hope that we get the staff we need in time and get back to normal."
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ggage-23279210
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 15:34
  #1267 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 1,185
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MANFAN
Ryanair are basing 19 aircraft (I think?)
That was the number in the initial ACL report based on slot requests, which would be an increase from 12 based. As far as I'm aware, there has not been an update since so we don't know what slots have been returned. Personally, I doubt very much there will be 19 based, in part because I believe a few slots were not able to be allocated and some others were well outside the times requested, but also because I'd be surprised if Ryanair really intended to jump from 12 to 19 based in one go anyway. Maybe a declaration of intent for the future.

Traditionally, Ryanair have also had a not insignificant number of flights with non-based aircraft which has helped MAN with the constraints on T3 capacity - in the terminal not just parking stands.

I would like to think we'll see 15 based, still a decent increase, but I imagine we should know shortly.

MANFOD is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 15:53
  #1268 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 214
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MANFOD
That was the number in the initial ACL report based on slot requests, which would be an increase from 12 based. As far as I'm aware, there has not been an update since so we don't know what slots have been returned. Personally, I doubt very much there will be 19 based, in part because I believe a few slots were not able to be allocated and some others were well outside the times requested, but also because I'd be surprised if Ryanair really intended to jump from 12 to 19 based in one go anyway. Maybe a declaration of intent for the future.

Traditionally, Ryanair have also had a not insignificant number of flights with non-based aircraft which has helped MAN with the constraints on T3 capacity - in the terminal not just parking stands.

I would like to think we'll see 15 based, still a decent increase, but I imagine we should know shortly.
Thanks for the info.
MANFAN is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 20:42
  #1269 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Burnham ever take any interest in this? Certainly not good for the city's reputation.
dave59 is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 20:44
  #1270 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,342
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by dave59
Does Burnham ever take any interest in this? Certainly not good for the city's reputation.
Perhaps he could have a word about Uniteds striker selection policy, as well.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 22:43
  #1271 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Co
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MANFOD
That was the number in the initial ACL report based on slot requests, which would be an increase from 12 based. As far as I'm aware, there has not been an update since so we don't know what slots have been returned. Personally, I doubt very much there will be 19 based, in part because I believe a few slots were not able to be allocated and some others were well outside the times requested, but also because I'd be surprised if Ryanair really intended to jump from 12 to 19 based in one go anyway. Maybe a declaration of intent for the future.

Traditionally, Ryanair have also had a not insignificant number of flights with non-based aircraft which has helped MAN with the constraints on T3 capacity - in the terminal not just parking stands.

I would like to think we'll see 15 based, still a decent increase, but I imagine we should know shortly.

slot hand back happened two weeks ago. Should see any decreases announced soon if any by all airlines.
irishlad06 is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 23:09
  #1272 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: SYD
Posts: 504
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re Summer programme sizes by carrier, events over the next few days in Ukraine will be critical. Oil prices hit a 13-year high earlier today, and as I write WTI crude sits just shy of $125 / bbl. Dependent on how the sanctions regime plays out - and whether Russia responds with an oil supply sanction of its own - fuel prices could still soar much higher. A rise of this magnitude must be reflected in fares for new bookings. And a brutal war will dampen demand for discretionary travel anyway, especially as household bills for energy and groceries etc appear set to go vertical as well. We've become accustomed to super-depressed airport throughput during the covid era, but this war is a huge deal as well. It could prove at least as damaging to the market as the Gulf War was, probably more so. I suspect the degree of damage to the industry will become clear quite soon, but much reduced flying versus the original plans envisaged for S22 is a likely outcome. Those queues may once again evaporate of their own accord, in a way none of us could wish for.

Just to clarify, the overwhelming priority here is the humanitarian crisis affecting the victims of this war. Holiday and travel plans for vacationers are of little significance in comparison to that. But this is an airlines and airports discussion forum, so this is the appropriate place to mention the implications for commercial aviation too. Covid restrictions remain a drag on some markets, but we have a much more scary elephant in the room now. Let's hope that an early pathway to the least awful outcome can be agreed upon soon. But realistically, things look set to get worse before they get better.
OzzyOzBorn is offline  
Old 9th Mar 2022, 09:40
  #1273 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 1,185
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OzzyOzBorn
Re Summer programme sizes by carrier, events over the next few days in Ukraine will be critical. Oil prices hit a 13-year high earlier today, and as I write WTI crude sits just shy of $125 / bbl. Dependent on how the sanctions regime plays out - and whether Russia responds with an oil supply sanction of its own - fuel prices could still soar much higher. A rise of this magnitude must be reflected in fares for new bookings. And a brutal war will dampen demand for discretionary travel anyway, especially as household bills for energy and groceries etc appear set to go vertical as well. We've become accustomed to super-depressed airport throughput during the covid era, but this war is a huge deal as well. It could prove at least as damaging to the market as the Gulf War was, probably more so. I suspect the degree of damage to the industry will become clear quite soon, but much reduced flying versus the original plans envisaged for S22 is a likely outcome. Those queues may once again evaporate of their own accord, in a way none of us could wish for.

Just to clarify, the overwhelming priority here is the humanitarian crisis affecting the victims of this war. Holiday and travel plans for vacationers are of little significance in comparison to that. But this is an airlines and airports discussion forum, so this is the appropriate place to mention the implications for commercial aviation too. Covid restrictions remain a drag on some markets, but we have a much more scary elephant in the room now. Let's hope that an early pathway to the least awful outcome can be agreed upon soon. But realistically, things look set to get worse before they get better.
Unfortunately, I think Ozzy's is a realistic assessment of the potential impact on civil aviation and customer demand caused by the situation in Ukraine, the humanitarian crisis and oil prices. For airlines that hedged fuel prices going forward, the effect may not be so critical, but I suspect they will still adjust fares anyway.

In terms of passenger forecasts at MAN, I imagine some may argue that given the well documented problems associated with staff shortages, management would perhaps not be too dismayed if growth didn't quite come up to initial expectations, particularly at the busy periods. That would be a sad reflection however.

Having suggested previously that in regard to Ryanair I would be pleased to see 15 based aircraft at MAN this summer, realistically that is looking less likely unless the Ukraine crisis and the ramifications are resolved quickly. After covid, this is the last thing aviation needed.
MANFOD is offline  
Old 10th Mar 2022, 12:47
  #1274 (permalink)  
DP.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 160
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dave59
Does Burnham ever take any interest in this? Certainly not good for the city's reputation.
Aside from the fact MAG is operated as a private business, the principal issue at the moment is staff recruitment - there's not a great deal he can do about that.
DP. is offline  
Old 10th Mar 2022, 20:17
  #1275 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Stockport
Age: 56
Posts: 350
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAN-PSR

Ryanair launch Manchester to Pescara in Abruzzo region, Italy. Now flying direct twice weekly for Summer 22. Great to see FR laying on even more new routes from MAN.
DomyDom is offline  
Old 10th Mar 2022, 21:14
  #1276 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DP.
Aside from the fact MAG is operated as a private business, the principal issue at the moment is staff recruitment - there's not a great deal he can do about that.
I was thinking more about disbanding MAG. The city is still the owner, yet it just takes the dividends. More public accountability is required. I suggest members' mug shots all around the airport to get some local pride back into the place, then at least the traveling public will have someone to blame other than a bunch of faceless spivs.
dave59 is offline  
Old 10th Mar 2022, 21:57
  #1277 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: the dark side
Posts: 302
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be difficult to disband MAG unless the City Council and other local authorities were prepared to stump up the cash to buyout the 35.5% shareholding held by an investment fund based in the Cayman Islands.
horatio_b is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2022, 13:21
  #1278 (permalink)  
DP.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 160
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dave59
I was thinking more about disbanding MAG. The city is still the owner, yet it just takes the dividends.
When you say 'disband', what do you mean exactly? The local authorities taking direct control of the airport, or selling it altogether?

Originally Posted by dave59
I suggest members' mug shots all around the airport to get some local pride back into the place, then at least the traveling public will have someone to blame other than a bunch of faceless spivs.
Sorry, I thought this was a serious discussion.
DP. is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2022, 14:10
  #1279 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,342
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DP.
When you say 'disband', what do you mean exactly? The local authorities taking direct control of the airport, or selling it altogether?
I think he means selling STN and EMA, and using the 60 odd percentage of the local council ownership to concentrate on the airport being a region assett.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2022, 15:15
  #1280 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DP.
When you say 'disband', what do you mean exactly? The local authorities taking direct control of the airport, or selling it altogether?



Sorry, I thought this was a serious discussion.
I would say either of the two options above would be better than the present set up, but would prefer direct public control, by a body wholly owned and accountable to the city or city region, even though I suspect that would not be possible because of the way things are done in the UK. Re mug shots: In the US, the mayor of (or the chief of the department of aviation related to the city) often put their name (and photo) prominently in the airport they are proud to serve.
dave59 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.