Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

British Airways

Old 6th Apr 2020, 17:25
  #521 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Up
Posts: 100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VentureGo
A380s heading for CHR (Chateauroux) Airport for storage - G-XLEA arrived as BA9150; G-XLEC and G-XLEF are on route as BA 9151 and 9152

G-XLEI also heading to CHR as BA9153


12:16 PM Apr 6, 2020



















Full article

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/tran...ult-1586176669
Seat4A is offline  
Old 6th Apr 2020, 18:59
  #522 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,428
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts
The Phantom Hyphenator strikes again ...


DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2020, 12:33
  #523 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 328
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blimey that's a big engine cover.
OntimeexceptACARS is offline  
Old 11th Apr 2020, 22:02
  #524 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Up
Posts: 100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies if already posted.






Link to video in tweet below:

Seat4A is offline  
Old 12th Apr 2020, 09:37
  #525 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 53
Posts: 1,393
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will put a little wager that unlike LH / AF all these A380s will see BA service again. The 747s I would doubt it esp as 5 or 6 were due to go in next 6 months anyway. Hopefully BA will get rid of T3 ops permanently!
VickersVicount is offline  
Old 12th Apr 2020, 10:13
  #526 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a house
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VickersVicount
I will put a little wager that unlike LH / AF all these A380s will see BA service again. The 747s I would doubt it esp as 5 or 6 were due to go in next 6 months anyway. Hopefully BA will get rid of T3 ops permanently!
It will be interesting to see whether BA would in the coming years consider taking some of the LH aircraft to expand their A380 fleet for key trunk routes and thereby hasten the retirement of the 744. I suspect it depends which routes warrant additional passenger capacity above that offered by the A350 and B777. And where there is only limited demand for cargo carrying capacity.
ExpectmorePayless is offline  
Old 12th Apr 2020, 23:51
  #527 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 268
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExpectmorePayless
It will be interesting to see whether BA would in the coming years consider taking some of the LH aircraft to expand their A380 fleet for key trunk routes and thereby hasten the retirement of the 744. I suspect it depends which routes warrant additional passenger capacity above that offered by the A350 and B777. And where there is only limited demand for cargo carrying capacity.
BA have already been offered AF A380s which were reviewed and decided against as the Cabin refit costs are astronomical.

Forget 4 engines going forward, the capacity simply wont be needed.
Chidken Sangwich is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2020, 11:54
  #528 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Durham
Posts: 405
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA 747 reg.G-CIVL just leaving LHR for short hop to GBA (Kemble)
VentureGo is offline  
Old 15th Apr 2020, 11:58
  #529 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: southampton,hampshire,england
Posts: 857
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA 747 G-CIVJ into Kemble roughly 1145 local time.
055166k is offline  
Old 15th Apr 2020, 12:47
  #530 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jersey
Age: 74
Posts: 1,456
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And, G-XLEB into Chateauroux.
kcockayne is offline  
Old 15th Apr 2020, 13:13
  #531 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 1,056
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA 747 G-CIVJ into Kemble roughly 1145 local time.
Flew on this aircraft to Harare in the late 90s. Is this for scrapping or sotrage
22/04 is online now  
Old 15th Apr 2020, 13:34
  #532 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 864
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 22/04
Flew on this aircraft to Harare in the late 90s. Is this for scrapping or sotrage
5 in to Kemble this week for retirement, presumably to be scrapped!
stewyb is offline  
Old 15th Apr 2020, 13:36
  #533 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: This side of Heaven
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-CIVJ
Initially for STORAGE but will only be re-instated if traffic levels recover. As others will be restored before VJ it is most likely to face the axe.
Gurnard is offline  
Old 15th Apr 2020, 21:06
  #534 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: UK
Age: 58
Posts: 3,282
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chidken Sangwich
BA have already been offered AF A380s which were reviewed and decided against as the Cabin refit costs are astronomical.

Forget 4 engines going forward, the capacity simply wont be needed.
Alternatively, due to overcapacity, BA will need a USP to get passengers to stay with them..
The A380 is a delight from a pax point of view, Given the choice I would select it everytime. Even for a premium.
TURIN is offline  
Old 16th Apr 2020, 01:16
  #535 (permalink)  
Paxing All Over The World
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hertfordshire, UK.
Age: 67
Posts: 10,014
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Agreed about the 380. We went to South Africa in February and I specifically chose the 380 outbound. We were in WT+ on the upper deck and one of the best trips on this route that I've had. We came back from CPT and the 744 was a come down. Not to mention that the poor old lady had a fatal sensor fault at start up and we were delayed for 25 hours - which will have cost them a bomb. Currently, I understand, the 350 is due to replace the 744 on that route as CPT cannot take the 380 at the moment. Next trip, I'll take the return via JNB and the 380.

By contrast, the LH 748 that I was on last year was a treat.

PAXboy is offline  
Old 16th Apr 2020, 01:19
  #536 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: IOM
Posts: 967
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAXboy
Agreed about the 380. We went to South Africa in February and I specifically chose the 380 outbound. We were in WT+ on the upper deck and one of the best trips on this route that I've had. We came back from CPT and the 744 was a come down. Not to mention that the poor old lady had a fatal sensor fault at start up and we were delayed for 25 hours - which will have cost them a bomb. Currently, I understand, the 350 is due to replace the 744 on that route as CPT cannot take the 380 at the moment. Next trip, I'll take the return via JNB and the 380.

By contrast, the LH 748 that I was on last year was a treat.
I assure you, the BA 350 trumps both of them.
JSCL is offline  
Old 16th Apr 2020, 11:37
  #537 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jersey
Age: 74
Posts: 1,456
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-XLEK is about to land in Chateauroux - does that leave any A380s still at Heathrow ?
kcockayne is offline  
Old 16th Apr 2020, 12:34
  #538 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,428
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by kcockayne
G-XLEK is about to land in Chateauroux - does that leave any A380s still at Heathrow ?
Yes - one (G-XLEH). Hasn't flown since the end of March.
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 16th Apr 2020, 13:52
  #539 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: This side of Heaven
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
Yes - one (G-XLEH). Hasn't flown since the end of March.
One other not at Chateauroux is G-XLEG which positioned to Manila for maintenance on the 7th March.
Gurnard is offline  
Old 16th Apr 2020, 16:42
  #540 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: heathrow
Posts: 292
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got to say well done to BA today. Email arrived lunchtime saying flight in 3 weeks time was cancelled, no surprise there. Seats booked with Expedia, but baggage direct with BA. Phoned BA straight away, got through to a human in less than 10 minutes. Refund processed immediately and without any fuss.
cjhants is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.