Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Southampton-2

Old 9th Sep 2019, 14:55
  #1681 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629
How is it possible that Loganair operates the ERJ135/145 out of GCI with a 1,583m runway but can't operate out of SOU's 1,723m runway?
shamrock7seal is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2019, 15:09
  #1682 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: UK
Age: 55
Posts: 2,184
How is it possible that Loganair operates the ERJ135/145 out of GCI with a 1,583m runway but can't operate out of SOU's 1,723m runway?
I suspect that at least part of the reason is due to obstacle clearance issues at SOU?
Wycombe is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2019, 15:39
  #1683 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 485
Originally Posted by Wycombe View Post
I suspect that at least part of the reason is due to obstacle clearance issues at SOU?
I wonder when Marlhill Copse will be tackled. This would definitely alleviate some obstacle problems and increase take off weight. Is nesting season over yet?
stewyb is online now  
Old 9th Sep 2019, 19:08
  #1684 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 39
Posts: 453
Originally Posted by shamrock7seal View Post
How is it possible that Loganair operates the ERJ135/145 out of GCI with a 1,583m runway but can't operate out of SOU's 1,723m runway?
dont listen to this rubbish. There are a lot of trolls on here, the best way to deal with it is to not feed them. BMI (I.e Loganair) operated the ERJ to Munich without a problem. Eastern use it every now and then along with others. British Airways use to base a few at SOU I think.

I must say I am surprised Logan are not looking at routes from SOU, especially after seeing that laughable bunch of routes they have just announced. The Munich route was growing very well, and was only dropped because of a shortage of aircraft from memory. They could also add SOU to their base in Aberdeen, which is another route with history at SOU. Perhaps even Brussels, they fly there from a number of other airports.
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2019, 19:37
  #1685 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,370
The Munich route was growing very well, and was only dropped because of a shortage of aircraft from memory.
Who operated the MUC route? Who will have access to all the traffic data?
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 9th Sep 2019, 19:50
  #1686 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3
BA Connect used145s for many years. Can’t see them competing on EDI/GLA versus Flybe frequency which would leave ABZ
Jaymac2061 is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2019, 21:51
  #1687 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
Who operated the MUC route? Who will have access to all the traffic data?
flyBMI and probably Loganair.
PDXCWL45 is online now  
Old 10th Sep 2019, 20:10
  #1688 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,370
Originally Posted by PDXCWL45 View Post
flyBMI and probably Loganair.
Exactly - and despite launching a 'laughable bunch of routes', they haven't come back.

Maybe a shortage of aircraft was a diplomatic way out (and basically says all our other routes are making more money...)


SWBKCB is online now  
Old 10th Sep 2019, 20:19
  #1689 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 36
Posts: 954
Originally Posted by Rivet Joint View Post
I must say I am surprised Logan are not looking at routes from SOU, especially after seeing that laughable bunch of routes they have just announced.
Which of the new routes is laughable please?
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2019, 04:12
  #1690 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
Exactly - and despite launching a 'laughable bunch of routes', they haven't come back.

Maybe a shortage of aircraft was a diplomatic way out (and basically says all our other routes are making more money...)
How are the new routes laughable? Cardiff to Glasgow is a pretty established and they seem to have found a niche with Aberdeen and Newcastle to Norway. Guernsey was a surprise yes but it is again a niche holiday destination and they have operated other destinations from Guernsey I believe.
If you look in general Loganair haven't taken up any any flyBMI German routes not even from Bristol. Their main focus seems to be on Aberdeen and Newcastle and Southend at the moment so they may not just be interested yet in Southampton.
PDXCWL45 is online now  
Old 11th Sep 2019, 08:00
  #1691 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 36
Posts: 954
I think we can translate “laughable” as “I’ve never heard of Haugesund therefore no one else has” and “Newcastle is too far away for me to care about”.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2019, 08:54
  #1692 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 485
Heard that BE will be using the E75 for their sun routes next summer!
stewyb is online now  
Old 14th Sep 2019, 09:48
  #1693 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Brighton uk
Posts: 814
That has to be good news for SOU

My question is , as not familiar with aircraft ranges is can the 175 operate to Malaga or Faro with a full load of bags , pax and fuel ?
MARKEYD is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2019, 10:10
  #1694 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 485
Originally Posted by MARKEYD View Post
That has to be good news for SOU

My question is , as not familiar with aircraft ranges is can the 175 operate to Malaga or Faro with a full load of bags , pax and fuel ?
Not sure as I also thought the E75 was performance limited in summer conditions. Only what I have heard and will be interesting to see what develops!
stewyb is online now  
Old 14th Sep 2019, 11:30
  #1695 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Solihull
Age: 55
Posts: 3,066
175

Originally Posted by MARKEYD View Post
That has to be good news for SOU

My question is , as not familiar with aircraft ranges is can the 175 operate to Malaga or Faro with a full load of bags , pax and fuel ?
BHX-Florence on the 175 was a disaster in terms of on-time performance due to the FLR runway limitations but Southampton has got an extra 500ft to play with which might make the difference. In fact the 175 was replaced by the 195 eventually then the service was chopped.

I used the BHX service once in that well known summer peak of mid-April and 30 bags were off-loaded on a full flight delaying us one hour - the temperature was 24c so warm for April but not for high-summer. If we get a hot summer that would be a hell of a lot of lost tow-bars (sorry couldn't resist, as that was the pathetic excuse Flybe gave for the delay).

Pete

Last edited by OltonPete; 14th Sep 2019 at 11:42.
OltonPete is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2019, 12:07
  #1696 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southampton
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by stewyb View Post
Not sure as I also thought the E75 was performance limited in summer conditions. Only what I have heard and will be interesting to see what develops!
Let's hope not too limited, otherwise could mean more embarrassing fuel stops at BOH on route.
Dropoffcharge is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2019, 12:15
  #1697 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southampton, U.K
Posts: 1,090
Was the original plan not for the runway extension and tree felling to be done over the winter in time for next summer? If so, I would think there shouldn't be too many issues using the E175's, assuming it goes ahead.
adfly is online now  
Old 14th Sep 2019, 13:11
  #1698 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dorset
Posts: 160
I’m struggling to see where there has been any statement that these routes will return for 2020 to prompt any speculation about the aircraft that will fly them. As far as I had understood, the routes were closed early this year after a poor summer and there is no guarantee they will be back in any shape or form. With Flybe’s other sunshine routes at Exeter, Norwich, Cardiff and Doncaster all gone, they really would be lone routes that no longer fit with the rest of the network.
Albert Hall is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2019, 16:59
  #1699 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 571
Originally Posted by Albert Hall View Post
I’m struggling to see where there has been any statement that these routes will return for 2020 to prompt any speculation about the aircraft that will fly them. As far as I had understood, the routes were closed early this year after a poor summer and there is no guarantee they will be back in any shape or form. With Flybe’s other sunshine routes at Exeter, Norwich, Cardiff and Doncaster all gone, they really would be lone routes that no longer fit with the rest of the network.
Well said .......
fjencl is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2019, 17:44
  #1700 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: On the road
Posts: 693
Originally Posted by Rivet Joint View Post

BMI (I.e Loganair) operated the ERJ to Munich without a problem.

That's not actually correct. The ERJ was capacity restricted to 41 max out of SOU.
TartinTon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.