Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Southend-2

Old 1st Mar 2018, 13:17
  #961 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 782
Originally Posted by Planespeaking View Post
True but perhaps some of the SEN destination airports were closed.
The Budapest-SEN passengers are on finals to Birmingham. Are there no airfields open in the London area?
tophat27dt is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2018, 13:17
  #962 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 782
I see two LCY inbounds diverted to Brussels...my goodness.
tophat27dt is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2018, 15:13
  #963 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
Age: 71
Posts: 2,339
Originally Posted by asdf1234 View Post
Another 16 cancellations so far today. Not a great day for travellers either going to or from SEN!
Not much fun from most UK airports today wouldn't you say?

There have been some 140 cancellations at LCY so far today but hardly the fault of that airport.

Last edited by Expressflight; 1st Mar 2018 at 16:02. Reason: additional info
Expressflight is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2018, 15:47
  #964 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,761
Originally Posted by Expressflight View Post
Not much fun from most UK airports today wouldn't you say?
Glasgow closed all day, Edinburgh closing overnight from 18.00...
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2018, 15:48
  #965 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 62
Posts: 380
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
or you may get lucky and be in the right place at the right time, whether you planned to be there or not. i.e. I don't think STN was developed with the LCC boom in mind.
indeed
when the idea to develop STN as London's 3rd airport in the mid 80's there really was no such thing as a LCC model in the UK or even Europe really as what we know of today
Laker had gone in 1982 and SouthWest in the USA was drifting along but us lot in the UK were not really following their model (yet)
Peoples and Highland Express both failed

basically LHR was known then as scheduled and LGW was charter to the flock and masses but of course we know that BCAL was an decent alternative sadly also to see demise in 1988
along with AE in 1991 and DA in 1992 both of who had tried the scheduled full product market at LGW and could not keep it going
rog747 is online now  
Old 1st Mar 2018, 19:20
  #966 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London Whipsnade Wildlife Park
Posts: 4,386
The onset of the internet revolutionised air travel in the UK from around 1997.
Buster the Bear is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2018, 20:28
  #967 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Basildon
Posts: 1
Regarding the cancellations from SEN today I was informed by a colleague, yesterday, that flights would be very unlikely today as they had run out of de-icer at SEN.
Ursamajor78 is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2018, 21:56
  #968 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 37
Posts: 1,086
Originally Posted by asdf1234 View Post
Another 16 cancellations so far today. Not a great day for travellers either going to or from SEN!
Mostly down to destination airports, though the cancellation of Malta and Alicante was perhaps premature. Geneva was closed this morning, Amsterdam has had problems, Dublin and Glasgow were shut. SEN actually received a diversion from LCY today, and the Prague/Vienna flights did go out in the end.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2018, 22:08
  #969 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Solihull
Age: 55
Posts: 3,134
January

Originally Posted by Expressflight View Post
OltonPete

I agree with your EZY numbers and some of your figures for BEE but my calculation for the latter shows:

BUD 42%
CGN 32%
DUB 31%
GLA 27%
GRQ 51%
LYS 54% BEE (36% EZY)
MAN 30%
PRG 42%
RNS 59%
VIE 35%

I think that is because the number of BEE flights actually operated according to my records is at odds with your numbers. The LYS numbers need to be split between EZY and BEE flights so I think that is the reason for the large difference between us on that route. Like you I stand to be corrected for any errors.

I think it was actually a good idea to maintain the higher frequencies, at the expense of load factors, in order to build customer confidence in these new routes.
Cheers Expressflight - using FR24 rather than wait for the CAA punctuality stats can prove awkward

Pete
OltonPete is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 07:00
  #970 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 37
Posts: 1,086
Originally Posted by Expressflight View Post
OltonPete
DUB 31%
GLA 27%
MAN 30%
This is more or less the first time these routes can be assessed without the impact of freebies, as I believe the 1000 free flights to each destination had to be taken by the first week of Jan.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 07:36
  #971 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 915
It's interesting to note that if you want to make a return trip to GRQ or RNS in the next week you'll have to pay between 200 - 300. This has become pretty standard I believe. MAN - less than 100.

Of course, the first two are well established and key, I guess, is using experience to get the frequency right.
DC3 Dave is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 10:15
  #972 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: London
Posts: 313
Manchester is steadily improving and recently has had some very encouraging loads of 60+

January is always difficult and it's a new route.

Forward bookings are, apparently, improving.

I've always thought MAN could be a good route and I think it will mature in time
cumbrianboy is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 10:28
  #973 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 782
The EZY Alicante flight departed one hour late but later on landed at STN apparently. I dont know why. I see the Arrecife flight is also cancelled. Is there a problem operating A320s from SEN's partly contaminated runway, I wonder? Thankfully the milder weather is due to arrive on Sunday.
tophat27dt is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 10:37
  #974 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: earth
Posts: 716
https://www.easyjet.com/en/flight-tracker/7452
lfc84 is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 10:46
  #975 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 782
Not sure what you are trying to show me but the flight is cancelled for today. See LSA airport website.
The info on the easyjet website is up to 4 hours old.
tophat27dt is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 10:46
  #976 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
Age: 71
Posts: 2,339
Originally Posted by tophat27dt View Post
The EZY Alicante flight departed one hour late but later on landed at STN apparently. I dont know why. I see the Arrecife flight is also cancelled. Is there a problem operating A320s from SEN's partly contaminated runway, I wonder? Thankfully the milder weather is due to arrive on Sunday.
No nothing to do with runway performance. The landing at STN was for an aircraft-specific problem rectification and it was on the ground there for about an hour. The same aircraft was due to operate the ACE flight and I assume it's cancelled due to the long delay to the ALC departure.
Expressflight is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 10:52
  #977 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: earth
Posts: 716
Originally Posted by tophat27dt View Post
Not sure what you are trying to show me but the flight is cancelled for today. See LSA airport website.
The info on the easyjet website is up to 4 hours old.
you were speculating why the flight was cancelled. as of yet, the easyjet tracker doesn't say its cancelled.

however, if / when it is updated to state it is cancelled easyjet ops will often state the reason on the tracker website.

if they don't state the reason on the tracker website just send them a twitter message asking for the reason
lfc84 is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 11:39
  #978 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 448
Originally Posted by lfc84 View Post
you were speculating why the flight was cancelled. as of yet, the easyjet tracker doesn't say its cancelled.

however, if / when it is updated to state it is cancelled easyjet ops will often state the reason on the tracker website.

if they don't state the reason on the tracker website just send them a twitter message asking for the reason
Website states technical inspection required. It does seem strange that an aircraft just departed from SEN diverts to STN rather than return to its base engineering team.
asdf1234 is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 11:41
  #979 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
Age: 71
Posts: 2,339
The flight was planned to land at STN before it departed SEN so it wasn't actually a diversion. I never take what it says on the EZY Flight Status page too literally as far as detail is concerned.
Expressflight is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 15:09
  #980 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
Age: 71
Posts: 2,339
Originally Posted by cumbrianboy View Post
Manchester is steadily improving and recently has had some very encouraging loads of 60+

January is always difficult and it's a new route.

Forward bookings are, apparently, improving.

I've always thought MAN could be a good route and I think it will mature in time
I must admit that I thought the MAN route was a mistake but it is doing better than I expected and anecdotally February numbers will show a further improvement. Let's hope that continues in future months.
Expressflight is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.