Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

Who will survive this and be here in 6 months ?

Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Who will survive this and be here in 6 months ?

Old 26th Mar 2020, 09:32
  #361 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 182
Lightbulb ambidextrous

Wait until the tide goes out and then see he's still wearing clothing or is now naked?
ambidextrous is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2020, 17:37
  #362 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Age: 74
Posts: 16
Extinction of the human race does not imply “the end of the world”. planet earth or whatever you call it, still has a few billion years left before our star expires and it would probably survive extremely well without the human species.
RobertP is offline  
Old 27th Mar 2020, 05:52
  #363 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 3.5 from TD
Posts: 1,007
If governments stop all the QE assistance the consequences would be unthinkable.
Extremely inaccurate. Look up every recession before the Federal reserve. Or even the recession of 1920, which was over a year later and was followed by the “roaring twenties”, a period of massive growth and prosperity. The federal reserve caused the recession, but stayed out of the recovery and it lasted only a year, thanks to reduction in government and taxes. That should have been an omen to get rid of central banking, but unfortunately for us, they only got bigger and bolder.

If central banks and Fiat money would go away, most of the world’s problems would disappear. No more printing money by governments would allow the global economy to self correct, which is normal and should be allowed to play out. Life has ups and down, you can’t get rid of the downs without severely distorting the balance, only making the next down a lot worse.

In the US, the government (which includes the private Fed) have been doing this since 2001. Destroying the purchasing power of currency, and creating a global race to the bottom by all the world’s Fiat currencies.

Well, this is bottom. And they have committed to start digging deeper and redefine the bottom. For the sake of all of us, especially our offspring, let’s hope they’ve hit rock and this opportunity is not wasted to get rid of this ridiculous Banking system.
Sqwak7700 is offline  
Old 28th Mar 2020, 02:19
  #364 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outer space
Age: 49
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Extinction of the human race does not imply “the end of the world”. planet earth or whatever you call it, still has a few billion years left before our star expires and it would probably survive extremely well without the human species.
It's actually "only" just a few hundred million years until the Sun will have changed enough to have massive impact on our planet, including all life forms (like us, in case we would still be here, which I doubt). The atmosphere will change significantly due to increasing radiation and luminosity of our star. The balance within the so-called habitable zone that allows carbon-based life forms to exist is surprisingly delicate and does not allow significant variation in most parameters.

In about 500-700 million years, C3 photosynthesis will likely stop to work, because there won't be enough CO2 in the atmosphere, despite all climate change and rising CO2 levels we currently have, CO2 will drop significantly with increasing solar radiation over the next few hundred million years until there is not enough left to keep photosynthesis running. At some point, most plant life will be dead, which will in turn lead to a massive change in available oxygen. And then it's probably game over for any higher life form.

Still plenty of time though for recovery from the human mishap and maybe even a new try to establish intelligent life through further evolution.
SilverCircle is offline  
Old 28th Mar 2020, 04:18
  #365 (permalink)  
ZFT
N4790P
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Asia
Age: 70
Posts: 2,053
Originally Posted by SilverCircle View Post
It's actually "only" just a few hundred million years until the Sun will have changed enough to have massive impact on our planet, including all life forms (like us, in case we would still be here, which I doubt). The atmosphere will change significantly due to increasing radiation and luminosity of our star. The balance within the so-called habitable zone that allows carbon-based life forms to exist is surprisingly delicate and does not allow significant variation in most parameters.

In about 500-700 million years, C3 photosynthesis will likely stop to work, because there won't be enough CO2 in the atmosphere, despite all climate change and rising CO2 levels we currently have, CO2 will drop significantly with increasing solar radiation over the next few hundred million years until there is not enough left to keep photosynthesis running. At some point, most plant life will be dead, which will in turn lead to a massive change in available oxygen. And then it's probably game over for any higher life form.

Still plenty of time though for recovery from the human mishap and maybe even a new try to establish intelligent life through further evolution.
Damn. I've got less time than I thought. Better start running down the gin stocks
ZFT is offline  
Old 28th Mar 2020, 20:35
  #366 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 747
Originally Posted by ZFT View Post
Damn. I've got less time than I thought. Better start running down the gin stocks
Thank you for restoring a bit of perspective.
If we did nothing, this virus would kill about 1-3% of the people, skewed towards the aged. That was routine 'business as usual' during the middle ages.
Pepys did pretty well during the Great Plague and surely he was not alone. So life continues, just a little different.
etudiant is online now  
Old 28th Mar 2020, 22:49
  #367 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: The full half of the glass
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Thank you for restoring a bit of perspective.
If we did nothing, this virus would kill about 1-3% of the people, skewed towards the aged. That was routine 'business as usual' during the middle ages.
Pepys did pretty well during the Great Plague and surely he was not alone. So life continues, just a little different.
Agreed. But we are generations of humans who simply haven't had to deal with that level of external threat, so we're more than a little slow on the learning curve. That means lots of unnecessary death and harm, not to mention doing a very big number on our health workers.

We need to help each other to learn faster.
PeterWeb is offline  
Old 29th Mar 2020, 06:40
  #368 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,445
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Thank you for restoring a bit of perspective.
If we did nothing, this virus would kill about 1-3% of the people, skewed towards the aged. That was routine 'business as usual' during the middle ages.
Pepys did pretty well during the Great Plague and surely he was not alone. So life continues, just a little different.
We no longer live in those times. Plagues caused massive economic damage and personal grief & suffering. I doubt you would be so blase if you had lived then.
cats_five is offline  
Old 29th Mar 2020, 07:40
  #369 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: KIR
Posts: 22
The timeline, a la Angela, clever Muti, is when
Diese Zeitspanne müsse sehr viel weiter gestreckt werden, "in Richtung von zehn Tagen". Das Ziel der Maßnahmen sei es, dass das Gesundheitssystem nicht überlastet werde.
when the infection doubling rate is every 10 days..
I enjoy my consumption of the Earth's resources as much as any privileged Boomer. Should we go on? Is there, without universal Authoritarianism another way ? I'm thinking not,
Without food, a crazy habit I've developed over my years of knocking 'round this planet, I just won't stay here any longer. So food production, not coming from China, yet!
dohouch is offline  
Old 29th Mar 2020, 17:42
  #370 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 747
Originally Posted by cats_five View Post
We no longer live in those times. Plagues caused massive economic damage and personal grief & suffering. I doubt you would be so blase if you had lived then.
The economic damage and personal suffering back then was similarly disproportionate. That is why people remember these plagues.
The difference today is that we have not had a real crisis for about 75 years, two full generations, so we forget how hard it really is
Fwiw, they are putting up emergency hospital tents in NYC Central Park a few blocks from my place. Blase is not my state of mind under these circumstances.
etudiant is online now  
Old 29th Mar 2020, 23:41
  #371 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: The full half of the glass
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
The difference today is that we have not had a real crisis for about 75 years, two full generations, so we forget how hard it really is.
Agreed. Most of us have a lot of learning to do about a world with a higher background risk of disease, and have forgotten habits that were ingrained for many of our predecessors. It's a steep curve but the more we help each other with accurate, evidence-based information, the better.
PeterWeb is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 04:10
  #372 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lynden, WA
Posts: 22
America's finest narrow-body? Boeing screwed the pooch on the 737 enhancements. Big Time. It was a great two hour airplane. Now it carries more than a 767-200. Sardine packing for passengers...very high ref speeds and poor runway performance. I'd pick an A320 anyday over the 737!
caevans is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 04:51
  #373 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 164
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Extinction of the human race does not imply “the end of the world”. planet earth or whatever you call it, still has a few billion years left before our star expires and it would probably survive extremely well without the human species.
Horseshoe crab = 600 million years.

Shark = 400 million years.

H. sapien = 250,000 years.

It ain't lookin' good. 🤔
Old Dogs is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 06:28
  #374 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by Old Dogs View Post
Horseshoe crab = 600 million years.

Shark = 400 million years.

H. sapien = 250,000 years.

It ain't lookin' good. 🤔

Seniority based extinction? ;-)
Michael S is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 06:39
  #375 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 164
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
Seniority based extinction? ;-)
Makes sense. 😁
Old Dogs is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 06:54
  #376 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Asia
Posts: 917
If airlines are nationalised or put on government support for a while, I can't see stratospheric salaries and bonuses being paid to directors. Previously the main interests were shareholder return and dividends, short term thinking regarding cost cutting in order to get a bonus rather than the long term good of the company. Strip out value by selling off core assets, make the numbers look good and you'd be long gone by the time the chickens came home to roost.

Privatisation under Mrs Thatcher was a good thing, inefficient state run companies were transformed, workers could own a piece of their employer and the general public got to participate in an area previously dominated by the financial elite. Now we have a new generation of robber barons pulling the financial strings, quite happy to take all the profits when it pays off but expecting a state bail out when they come short.
krismiler is online now  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 07:01
  #377 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 164
Originally Posted by krismiler View Post
If airlines are nationalised or put on government support for a while, I can't see stratospheric salaries and bonuses being paid to directors. Previously the main interests were shareholder return and dividends, short term thinking regarding cost cutting in order to get a bonus rather than the long term good of the company. Strip out value by selling off core assets, make the numbers look good and you'd be long gone by the time the chickens came home to roost.

Privatisation under Mrs Thatcher was a good thing, inefficient state run companies were transformed, workers could own a piece of their employer and the general public got to participate in an area previously dominated by the financial elite. Now we have a new generation of robber barons pulling the financial strings, quite happy to take all the profits when it pays off but expecting a state bail out when they come short.
Privatise the profits and socialize the costs.

Add to that the propensity for "next quarter" management thinking.

It's the American Way. 😏
Old Dogs is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 07:49
  #378 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mauritius,soon or latter
Posts: 526
@krismiler, 10/10

how we run into situation that very successfull bussiness, with profits and bonuses, and all of sudden 15 days of interuption and we are out of money. Where is reserve gone?
could you imagine house, decent one, with healty and functional family, cars, Bora Bora holidays- and they could not survive without dayli fresh cash a few days?
SINGAPURCANAC is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 10:11
  #379 (permalink)  
Pegase Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 1997
Location: Europe
Age: 70
Posts: 2,852
In France, the economy minister said yesterday that in any private business where the State has a share ( e.g Like in AF or Airbus ) and who will be applying for State financial aid, whether loan or grant, will be requested not to pay dividends to its shareholders in 2020.
Some of those companies already agreed ( incl. Airbus) but not all yet .
ATC Watcher is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 23:49
  #380 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Crawley
Age: 63
Posts: 100
Elephant in the Room.

Sad to contemplate it but will there even be any call for PPRuNe, in six months time?
nevillestyke is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.